Starstream Think Tank

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Anyone planning on getting Pokemon in a month? Anyone... have a Swotch besides me?

Been thinking of my party going forward. Got an idea for a fire, psychic, water/flying, normal, and ghost type thanks to trailers. Thinking of making a team of all Gen 8 pokemon, except maybe Gen 1 pokemon in their new forms. Definitely interested in a Galaran Ponyta.

After an initial run, would anyone be interested in watching me do a Nuzlocke run? It would be my first one ever, so it would be quite the experience.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Anyone planning on getting Pokemon in a month? Anyone... have a Swotch besides me?

Been thinking of my party going forward. Got an idea for a fire, psychic, water/flying, normal, and ghost type thanks to trailers. Thinking of making a team of all Gen 8 pokemon, except maybe Gen 1 pokemon in their new forms. Definitely interested in a Galaran Ponyta.

After an initial run, would anyone be interested in watching me do a Nuzlocke run? It would be my first one ever, so it would be quite the experience.

Nuzlocke's are heartbreaking. Are you sure?

ShadowHounder

Depends on the type of nuzlocke and your play style... I tend to find nuzlockes boring if the player is overly cautious or spend too much time thinking of what could happen, without thinking about what will actually happen (plus with the nature of Nuzlockes, risky play makes them more interesting imo). Also, I've recently grown found of watching Nuzlockes with randomized pokemon encounters... And I'm not sure if that will be possible in SS due to a lot of the Pokemon not being in the system anymore (I would still give a normal Locke run a watch however... Just been the type of Nuzlockes I've watched recently).

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Nuzlocke's are heartbreaking. Are you sure?
I realize that, but I want to give it a try. Make me care about the Pokemon I catch.

Depends on the type of nuzlocke and your play style... I tend to find nuzlockes boring if the player is overly cautious or spend too much time thinking of what could happen, without thinking about what will actually happen (plus with the nature of Nuzlockes, risky play makes them more interesting imo). Also, I've recently grown found of watching Nuzlockes with randomized pokemon encounters... And I'm not sure if that will be possible in SS due to a lot of the Pokemon not being in the system anymore (I would still give a normal Locke run a watch however... Just been the type of Nuzlockes I've watched recently).
Standard Nuzlocke rules, catch only the first Pokemon you encounter in an area, not counting repeats. If it faints, you missed your shot. If you pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released (or given away). If you pass out from losing all your party, it is game over even if you have more pokemon in the box. You must nickname all your pokemon. Plus a few other rules I'll decide on.

As far as being too cautious, I would try to be, but I would try not to over level and I am a reckless player even when I am trying to be careful. You guys would hate me if I did an actual Play-connected RP of XCOM. So reckless... so many deaths...

ShadowHounder

I realize that, but I want to give it a try. Make me care about the Pokemon I catch.

Standard Nuzlocke rules, catch only the first Pokemon you encounter in an area, not counting repeats. If it faints, you missed your shot. If you pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released (or given away). If you pass out from losing all your party, it is game over even if you have more pokemon in the box. You must nickname all your pokemon. Plus a few other rules I'll decide on.

As far as being too cautious, I would try to be, but I would try not to over level and I am a reckless player even when I am trying to be careful. You guys would hate me if I did an actual Play-connected RP of XCOM. So reckless... so many deaths...
There are a few clauses I would recommend for you, one being the species clause (this can work in two ways: make it so you can't catch pokemon of the same evolution line as a pokemon you already own or make it so you can... It depends on how much of a variety you have to work with) and the box clause (where you cab have a "dead" box instead of releasing the Pokemon... As a way to keep track of how many you have lost and can more easily morn the fallen.) Other useful clauses are catching clause (which lets you catch multiple pokemon on a route if said route as multiple ways to catch a pokemon... Things like Surfing and fishing come to mind there) and the No Items Clause (this is more of a challenge clause that makes it so you can't use items in battle... But is still a fun one)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
There are a few clauses I would recommend for you, one being the species clause (this can work in two ways: make it so you can't catch pokemon of the same evolution line as a pokemon you already own or make it so you can... It depends on how much of a variety you have to work with) and the box clause (where you cab have a "dead" box instead of releasing the Pokemon... As a way to keep track of how many you have lost and can more easily morn the fallen.) Other useful clauses are catching clause (which lets you catch multiple pokemon on a route if said route as multiple ways to catch a pokemon... Things like Surfing and fishing come to mind there) and the No Items Clause (this is more of a challenge clause that makes it so you can't use items in battle... But is still a fun one)

Hmm... species clause, I would likely allow the catching of evolutions as long as I haven't evolved it yet, just to give me a better chance with my first Nuzlocke

I like the box clause. A memorial wall of sorts.

Catching clause, I'd likely allow one grass catch and one "other" catch, so I can't catch something by fishing AND surfing but would have to pick.

And item clause seems like fun but, not to repeat myself too much, it seems like a bit of a challenge for my first time.

And other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

ShadowHounder

Hmm... species clause, I would likely allow the catching of evolutions as long as I haven't evolved it yet, just to give me a better chance with my first Nuzlocke

Catching clause, I'd likely allow one grass catch and one "other" catch, so I can't catch something by fishing AND surfing but would have to pick.

And item clause seems like fun but, not to repeat myself too much, it seems like a bit of a challenge for my first time.

If you get your hands on a randomizer, there are a ton of other various challenges you can run. One of my favorites is the Typelocke (where you can only catch on of each type of pokemon, having to state what type you are counting it as if you encounter a duel type mon)... though a higher level randomizer (not fully extreme) can add some crazy unpredictability to the mix (like a Togepi using Geomancy XD)

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I like Wonderlocke.

Basically you have to Wondertrade for all your Pokemon. If you don't know what that is, Wonder trading is when you pick a Pokemon to trade, and then it gets traded for another random person online's Pokemon. Also, you can't rename them if they have a name. So whatever name the Person you are getting it from named it, you have to keep.

There's also a rule where you can only use the Pokemon when the Pokemon from the area reach that level. Say if you get a level 50 Pokemon, you can't use it until the Pokemon you are fighting are also level 50

ShadowHounder

I like Wonderlocke.

Basically you have to Wondertrade for all your Pokemon. If you don't know what that is, Wonder trading is when you pick a Pokemon to trade, and then it gets traded for another random person online's Pokemon. Also, you can't rename them if they have a name. So whatever name the Person you are getting it from named it, you have to keep.

There's also a rule where you can only use the Pokemon when the Pokemon from the area reach that level. Say if you get a level 50 Pokemon, you can't use it until the Pokemon you are fighting are also level 50
I don't think Gen 8 is going to have wonder trading anymore :/

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
If it is getting removed, I'm blaming all of the bastards who throw their obviously hacked in pokemon on the market
Yeah. What's the point of hacking anyway? What is the point of buying a game where the goal is to complete a collection then cheating to complete it. Or to raise the best team but hacking to alter stats. That's like... playing a souls game for its tough, challenging but exhilarating bosses then hacking the game to make all the bosses die in one hit.

ShadowHounder

Yeah. What's the point of hacking anyway? What is the point of buying a game where the goal is to complete a collection then cheating to complete it. Or to raise the best team but hacking to alter stats. That's like... playing a souls game for its tough, challenging but exhilarating bosses then hacking the game to make all the bosses die in one hit.
The reason you don't understand why people hack is the reason the Gameshark became popular in the first place. It was designed to profit off of people who were either too lazy to actually play the game, or too gullible to realize how harmful rom hacks can be to a cartage. Not all romhacks are bad however (Mods, which are a type of hack, often let to the creation of brand new games/genres such as CS, DOTA and, more recently, Auto Chess).

BMPixy

While I won't speak to the kinds of people who hack and then throw their stuff out on the market, hacking is fairly common in competitive Pokemon because while it is feasible to breed a mon with perfect IVs, train them up to lv 100 while making sure their EVs develop the right way, etc, etc, it is an absurd amount of man-hours, so it's easier to just cheat in the right mon.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Except people do that. All the time. Have you played Dark Souls Online? Really baffles me.

ShadowHounder

While I won't speak to the kinds of people who hack and then throw their stuff out on the market, hacking is fairly common in competitive Pokemon because while it is feasible to breed a mon with perfect IVs, train them up to lv 100 while making sure their EVs develop the right way, etc, etc, it is an absurd amount of man-hours, so it's easier to just cheat in the right mon.
Or you could just use Pokemon Showdown because competitive battling on Wifi only matters if you are planning on attending VGC (and even then, power training and other methods [such as the new nature setter in Gen 8] have made that grind less of a hassle than it used to be... so there's really no point in hacking a perfect competitive mon anymore)