Starstream Think Tank

ShadowHounder

with most of the recruitment posts up, I would like to know, what are everyone's first impressions and thoughts on Arthur so far?

Black0ut

with most of the recruitment posts up, I would like to know, what are everyone's first impressions and thoughts on Arthur so far?
I like Arthur. He's a contrast to how most heroes are like: He is abrasive and rude, he lacks empathy for nearly everyone he talks to/meets, and he is arrogant in his dealings with other new Guildmates. Despite this, the dichotomy between heroism and how Arthur acts... well, I like it. He isn't a hero, despite his actions potentially labeling him as one. He does it sometimes for the money, or because someone is being an asshole, or simply because he's bored, and all of it sheds away the pretenses of heroism. I like that morality is being lightly contested via Arthur and I would love to see how this deviation from morality will affect the world and our characters...

now I go sleep and sleep.

Black0ut

@Marine @DarkGemini24601
I wish to ask you about some literary tropes I've had time to think about or was reminded of by a youtuber I watch: With regards to Morality in general (and just to ensure we're all agreeing, morality is decided upon by a set values a civilization considers ideal), characters who break from the standard rigid lines of good an evil and fall into a neutral ground ( i.e. a bad guy who does do good things, a hero who does do bad things, or a character who does both) versus a character who stays within those parameters, who would you find a more interesting character and why?

(Everyone, feel free to jump in.)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Why do cards for the Blue Eyes White Dragon exist in universe? I get why they are actual cards, anyone can get a Blue Eyes. But in universe, the only one who has any and uses them is Kaiba. So Industrial Illusions makes cards specifically for the one man and the three cards he uses?

This is especially baffling when Pegasus tried to take over Kaiba's company. Is it an apology? Did Pegasus say, "Look, Kaiba boy! It's Kaibaman! Not only did I make a card specifically for you and only you, I even named it after you. Please forgive me for the whole corporate take over/kidnapping your brother/soul stealing thing. Please friend me on Facebook, please!"

And then Kaiba says no... and Pegasus can't take a hint so he keeps making cards based around Blue Eyes. That's... my only explanation...

Dahlexpert

@Marine @DarkGemini24601
I wish to ask you about some literary tropes I've had time to think about or was reminded of by a youtuber I watch: With regards to Morality in general (and just to ensure we're all agreeing, morality is decided upon by a set values a civilization considers ideal), characters who break from the standard rigid lines of good an evil and fall into a neutral ground ( i.e. a bad guy who does do good things, a hero who does do bad things, or a character who does both) versus a character who stays within those parameters, who would you find a more interesting character and why?

Ou I have two good examples for you, let’s take who were both vocal points in our RP’s Alice and Solex.

Solex is evil, he merders tortures rape manipulate you get the point. And that’s all he is he’s a villain that need to be stopped.

Then there’s Alice who to the world of Terra is a evil warlord vampire hell bent on domination, when in reality she caused so much destruction to force her kind to work with the other races and finally get them out of the prison city they were in.

Me personally I love Alice more then Solex because she has more depth and character to her then Solex, Solex I do like but not as much he is a one dimensional character where he is what you see him as.

DarkGemini24601

@Marine @DarkGemini24601

(acknowledging that I've seen this, will consider when my brain isn't fried)

ShadowHounder

Other AAA companies: Makes big deals out of any minority character they add to any game

Blizzard: Casually slides a gay couple and a transgender character into Shadowlands and only briefly brings up a pronoun change when it becomes relevant.

Anyone else prefer Blizz's method of "Let's just have these characters and see how the fanbase reacts" over the usually "GOTTA LET THE WHOLE WORLD NOW THIS CHARACTER IS GAY BEFORE THE GAME COMES OUT!" method? :p

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Other AAA companies: Makes big deals out of any minority character they add to any game

Blizzard: Casually slides a gay couple and a transgender character into Shadowlands and only briefly brings up a pronoun change when it becomes relevant.

Anyone else prefer Blizz's method of "Let's just have these characters and see how the fanbase reacts" over the usually "GOTTA LET THE WHOLE WORLD NOW THIS CHARACTER IS GAY BEFORE THE GAME COMES OUT!" method? :p

Yes. Because the second option adds plausible deniability instead of actual support for LGBTQA people.

Blizzard won't lose as many potential players and won't upset as many people if you have to dig through 15 side comics and read an internet only short story to find out that they're gay.

I would much rather personally have a game company stand up for the LGBTQA community up front then have them hide the characters so people don't get too offended by their existence. And there is also nothing wrong with having an LGBTQA leading a game or having them as a main character because a lot of what people cite as 'being shoved in their faces' is just a natural result of actual following an LGBTQA character for most of the story, rather than them being a one off character stuck in the middle of Zangramar Marsh with four lines of dialogue.

ShadowHounder

Yes. Because the second option adds plausible deniability instead of actual support for LGBTQA people.

Blizzard won't lose as many potential players and won't upset as many people if you have to dig through 15 side comics and read an internet only short story to find out that they're gay.

I would much rather personally have a game company stand up for the LGBTQA community up front then have them hide the characters so people don't get too offended by their existence. And there is also nothing wrong with having an LGBTQA leading a game or having them as a main character because a lot of what people cite as 'being shoved in their faces' is just a natural result of actual following an LGBTQA character for most of the story, rather than them being a one off character stuck in the middle of Zangramar Marsh with four lines of dialogue.
I'm referring to the datamined Night Warrior text and the character of Pelagos (who is a main character in the contest of Bastion)...

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I'm referring to the datamined Night Warrior text and the character of Pelagos (who is a main character in the contest of Bastion)...

I don't know the particulars of this character yet and we don't know what kind of role they will play in the upcoming narrative, I just wanted to point out that Blizzard has a bit of a history pushing gay characters to the sidelines.

ShadowHounder

Admittedly we know nothing of the original Night Warrior and datamined information is almost always going to change when it hits live...

But Pelagos, a character who was a woman in life and chose to have a male Kyrian body in death, is the main character you spend most of your time with during the Bastion story arc (which is the first arc you cover in Shadowlands, so you are exposed to him very early on during leveling).

Really, it feels like other companies make too much of a big deal off anytime they decide to have a gay or transgender character... which actually hurts their so called representation when that character turns out to be a horrible person (look at Trevor from GTA5). I'm not against the idea of a LGBTQ character being the lead roll of a story (Though I hated the gameplay, Life is Strange's story or it's character never bothered me in the slightest). But when a company actively decides to make an announcement all about their representation in their games and how all these characters are this minority group or that minority group... it kind of rubs me the wrong way... like their are trying to hard or that it's nothing but a marketing ploy and they don't actually care. :/

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Admittedly we know nothing of the original Night Warrior and datamined information is almost always going to change when it hits live...

But Pelagos, a character who was a woman in life and chose to have a male Kyrian body in death, is the main character you spend most of your time with during the Bastion story arc (which is the first arc you cover in Shadowlands, so you are exposed to him very early on during leveling).

Really, it feels like other companies make too much of a big deal off anytime they decide to have a gay or transgender character... which actually hurts their so called representation when that character turns out to be a horrible person (look at Trevor from GTA5). I'm not against the idea of a LGBTQ character being the lead roll of a story (Though I hated the gameplay, Life is Strange's story or it's character never bothered me in the slightest). But when a company actively decides to make an announcement all about their representation in their games and how all these characters are this minority group or that minority group... it kind of rubs me the wrong way... like their are trying to hard or that it's nothing but a marketing ploy and they don't actually care. :/

Funnily. I feel the same way about the Blizzard approach. When you hide it and don't make it known to the general public that to me feels like they care more about not losing potential customers and losing out on money rather than truly supporting the LGBTQA community. It takes no effort or commitment to say, oh also this character is gay on Twitter but never bring it up in game.

I'm looking at you Riot, Neeko is amazing and she deserves better.

ShadowHounder

Funnily. I feel the same way about the Blizzard approach. When you hide it and don't make it known to the general public that to me feels like they care more about not losing potential customers and losing out on money rather than truly supporting the LGBTQA community. It takes no effort or commitment to say, oh also this character is gay on Twitter but never bring it up in game.

I'm looking at you Riot, Neeko is amazing and she deserves better.
expect Riot has so many more pieces of lore they have to worry about... so they don't really have the time to focus on Neeko or Varus atm (perhaps in the future they will go back to her story and expand her relationship with Nidalee). Right now, they have two big wars in Demacia and Ionia on the horizon and a bunch of story with the Freljord to work on.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

expect Riot has so many more pieces of lore they have to worry about... so they don't really have the time to focus on Neeko or Varus atm (perhaps in the future they will go back to her story and expand her relationship with Nidalee). Right now, they have two big wars in Demacia and Ionia on the horizon and a bunch of story with the Freljord to work on.

And you can never have too much Bilgewater Content. That's why I have to make my own...

#DnD #DarkTidesofBilgewater