Hunters of Terra Dolor (Role Playing Section)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
The Last Straw
Part Two

Alice looked down at the ground." That was my ax dad was going to give it to me." Alice whispered, when she looked up she looked at her sister and Victor. "Two on one huh, really sis I expected better from you."

"I doubt we can take you in our condition." Lilith shook her head. "We won't be the ones to defeat you. Our people will." She held out her arm. "Do it now!"

Reluctantly, Victor raised his axe and swung down, severing Lilith's arm in one quick slash. She cried out in pain, holding her gushing stump.

Alice eyes widen and before Victor could blink Alice hand put her hand through his chest. "You bastard!" Alice threw Victor out the window. She looked at her sister." Lilith!" Alice took a shirt from the floor, and wrapped it around her sister." Why did you let him do that to you, why are you doing this. There was a better way to blame me for this, you didn't have to give your arm!"

Lilith shook her head. "I might... be able to reattach it. Maybe... maybe not. It has to be... believable. I'm sorry." Tears rolled down her blood stained cheeks "I... wanted to save you. I wanted to bring you back to us. But I failed you. I'm... s-sorry..."

The doors were thrown open a minute later, the vampire guards busting in after Victor crashed into the ground. Horrified, they held their weapons out. "A-Alice Valentine. You... you're under arrest for... oh, gods, what have you done?"

Alice turned to the guards and back to Lilith, she removed one of the skulls from her armor. and hugged her sister. She then whispered some words to Lilith. Alice then used her Claws to slash Lilith's Stomach." You want to know what I did, I killed the council." Alice held up Lilith dead body." And your precious queen to!"

"Kill her! Destroy her! Don't let her escape!" The guards charged, dozens of them at once.

A portal opened up behind Alice, Seclavar stepping out. "Alice! You need to get out of here now!"

"Ou i'm not going anywhere yet!" Alice charged the guards, with her new found evolution the guards barley stood a chance against her. Alice only used her hands however they weren't worthy of her ax." Now then I do believe, I could use a drink I always wondered how the counsels blood tasted." Alice then looked down at her sister." Teh how pathetic, you weren't much of a leader sis a shame you had to die." Alice put her hand on the ground and started to absorb the counsel blood, all but Liliths.

The surviving guards made a run for it, gong to get more guards. Seclavar shook his head. "Finish your drink and let's go! Even you won't be able to take on an entire army of other vampires on your own!"

"Ou I plan to, and this drink is amazing, so much power and knowledge it's amazing." As Alice finished her drink she quickly threw a fire ball in the room and then jumped through the portal. Once through the portal Alice hugged Seclavar." Honey it's been so long I've missed you so much." Alice said kissing the gods cheek.

Seclavar squeezed her tightly. "I'm sorry. I... I should have been there. I should have stopped this from happening. I'm so sorry."

"What are you talking about, every thing is gonna be fine. But it's great to see you again I've missed you." Alice took off the helmet she was wearing to cover her face and kissed Seclavar." Ou right this is the first time your seeing my new face, so what do you think?"

He rubbed her cheek. "You look absolutely lovely, Alice."

"Aw you know just what to say to me." Alice once again kissed the god of Chaos." I'm missed kissing you, hell I've missed you completely you've just been so busy and me conquering, we haven't had any alone time in quiet some time."

The god nodded. "I'm... sorry you had to kill Lilith..."

"Lilith's not dead, she's making a seen out of it. this is for the best, my people think i'm a criminal and will rally to her and her leadership. That's the plan she has."

"But what will you do?" Seclavar asked. "Now, the entirety of four armies will be knocking on your door. You... you can't win."

"I don't know, my army conquered a hole nation. but even with that I can't fight four army even if I raise enough dead I'm still surrounded, do you have any suggestions?"

"You could... run away from this all." Seclavar grasped her hands. "Why fight a fruitless war? Why die over nothing?"

"It's not for nothing, look what I made. These were cut throats, mercenaries and slaves and I turned this into an army to be proud of. What do I do with them huh, You want to know the truth. This army will save Terra!

Seclavar smiled, running a hand through her hair. "Want to... spend a little of that time we've been missing together?"

Small tears came down Alice face, and she jumped on Seclavar and kissed him." I love you, more then anything in the world. I will not that army separate us, I..I want to have kids with you. I want us to make the first vampire dime god with you, for us to be a family some day." Alice said crying into Seclavar shoulder, the real Alice actually coming out for the first time in years.

Seclavar held her tightly, nodding his head. "We will, Alice. I promise you. I won't let anyone take you away from me."

Alice took off the top part of her armor exposing her chest." Thank you Seclavar."

Three hours later...

"You know the best thing about being with a god, we could keep going. But I do need to think how am I going to fight this army, in a way I got what I wanted Terra is uniting to fight me. But it could break if I die what do I do love?"

"I don't know." Seclavar ran a hand through her hair. "I guess... you'll just have to fight with all your might. You'll be okay. You always find a way out, right?"

"I will recruit every thing near me, every bandit, every mercenary harpy giant. Every thing near me and raise every corpse of every fallen soldier I killed, I will bring the full weight of my home on to them. They are prepared to fight men, but nobody is prepared for the monsters I have." Alice squeezed her hand." And with me taking the council blood, and the blood of this nation into me. I will fight, there's a lot of deals I need to make, raider I gotta meet, and plenty of monsters I need. Aratenda you still looking down on me and Grimora I need you two." Alice said tossing Seclavar his pants, while putting on her underwear.

The pair of women stepped into the room. "You two are quite entertaining," the goddess of War said with a grin.

"You know it's weird knowing that the gods are watching me have sex." Alice said punting on her normal cloths. "Look Aratenda I know you don't like asking favors, but since I gave you a crap tone of war and probable made you a shit tone stronger. Can I ask for a favor? Also it's nice to actually seeing you smile."

She laughed. "Well, after I had you walk into that whole Council thing, I guess I can grant one favor... depending on what it is."

"What is the strongest monsters around me that isn't yet in my army? Grimora I know I have Scarlet for this but were can I find the toughest mercenaries and bandiest, around that isn't with me? If i'm gonna survive this battle and continue to my war I need numbers, brutality and people with the stomach for it. I also need to know were I can find more giants and Harpies."

The goddesses nodded. "We'll get on that," Grimora said. "We'll make it the baddest, scariest army in the history of Terra."

"That's the plan, I'm not going down with out a fight. Even if I must face my own kind, my people are in good hands with Lilith. But for now I must fight for the nation I made, and the people that look up to me, And i''ll show those army the Norsca way of doing things. Witch is through fear and never surrendering."

Black0ut

Insane Darkness & Black0ut present:
Conflicts with… Resolutions?

As a Light Elf meditated amongst the various beautiful plants of the grove, a duck holding a bundle of clothes flew overhead. She let out a little quack from above, warning the Light Elf before she landed behind him.

The Elf did not move and almost appeared asleep, his breathing rhythmic and steady.

As the Duck Thrope transformed into her more humanoid form and rerobed herself, she almost walked closer to distract Jay from his meditation. Instead, she decided to join him in his experience and sense the world for how he felt it. She slowly moved into a criss-crossed sitting position a few feet behind him and closed her eyes, relaxing her body as she took a deep breath to calm herself. While her body tried to shine with her surge of magic calmness, she suppressed it and brought the brightness within her body, refusing to let it escape her.

“Let it out, and don’t be so strict. Relax.”

Her breath caught at the sudden suggestions but relaxed as she was told. Some more light escaped her but decided to stop doing so as her breathing steadied and became more rhythmic.

“There… you’re doing well.”

“Thank you.” Faith replied with very little emotion, more focused on the meditation.

“No problem.” Came the reply.

Light shone through the trees, radiant in their beauty. Wind soared through the leaves and the hair of the two present in the middle of the grove. If one weren’t paying attention, they wouldn’t notice the slight intensity increase when Faith had started meditating. If Faith focused really hard, she could hear the heartbeats the two shared, slow in their naturally rhythmic nature.

In the Light Elf’s mind, the world darkened, coalescing into two shapes; one of light, one of dark. The light bubbled forth with his secrets, his unpleasant history, and his self-hate. The dark figure held the more precious things; his empathy, his love, and the good memories. The two encompassed him, almost at war with one another.

Almost knowledgeable of Jay’s darkest thoughts, a shroud of light emerged from underneath him, warm and gentle. A similar one rose underneath Faith as well, although the grass nearby her spot seemed to be much more active.

A staff bonked her on her head. “Please… Stop…” He growled, some pain in his voice.

A small, “Oof…” escaped her at the impact. She rubbed her head as she responded to him with a meek, “Yes sir…”

He banished both entities, and rose, sighing. “My apologies… I can’t have light magic touch me when I meditate, or bad things happen.”

Faith rose with her master. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know...” She gave him an apologetic look to reinforce how sorry she felt.

“It’s fine.” Jay said without emotion. “You wouldn’t have known.”

“So, you’re going through some shit, one could say. I know I won’t be of much help but… I would like to help you if you want me to and… I want to apologize for asking such personal business last time we spoke. I am sorry that I angered you for speaking of… you know what I mean…”

His face softened somewhat. “I… it's not your fault. I wasn’t… in the best moods. So i-if you wish to help me, go a-ahead.”

“What do you need help with?” Faith gave Jay a quizzical head tilt.

“Everything, although we can start on why you wanted to analyze me with a very direct question.”

“You’re talking about… before, right?” Faith’s curious exterior quickly evolved into a more depressed one, her mouth twisting into a little frown.

“I am.”

“I was… concerned. I’m not used to people trying to kill themselves, whether honorably or not. I… just wanted to know what led you to such extremes. Why you’d… risk so much. I understand that I’m asking too much from you, so… you don’t need to answer. I’m fine without knowing. But, please… Don’t think I asked to learn something. I asked because I was worried for you.” Faith turned around to walk away in order to leave him with her last words and to avoid an awkward silence.

Water orbs held her in place, preventing her escape. “If I hadn’t meditated and if I wasn’t okay talking to you, I would’ve been upset by your words. Maybe we work on your tactfulness later… Your mother was going to die, and if we had let one of the various Tecuntes attack any of the other groups, it would’ve resulted in more casualties, and probably a couple more deaths. I was being pragmatic and… too kind. Kinda regret it as Titania is being a bitch about it, but that’s life.”

“So, Titania is angry with you because you were selfless. Selfless in order to help her at the expense of yourself, but still selfless.” Faith took a deep breath, keeping herself at an equilibrium. “I will talk to her about this. She shouldn’t be angry with you about this. You’re more-or-less healed up now, so this shouldn’t be an issue. What you did is in the past and it reflects how much you care for her. If she doesn’t realize that… then I need to give her a reality check, don’t I?” Faith’s face hardened with her words.

“It’s fine. Her pushing me away has made me realize that our friendship is superficial at best, folly at worst. She’s too emotional to listen and you getting involved could hurt your relationship with her. I do not want that. So, if she decides to pick up the pieces later, she can try. Right now, she and I will be colder to each other than you have probably ever seen us before.” Sancros said quietly, the orbs disappearing.

“Conflict is not solved through silence.” The Duck Thrope’s eyelid twitched in irritation before she moved a hand to her forehead. “Ugh… You guys are not good at conflict resolution…”

“I know that, but she must learn it if we are to be friends. That and to not let her emotions to dictate her actions. Otherwise, perhaps she can give me my contract or transfer it over to Sylvie, so we don’t have to see one another.” He replied, his staff slowly turning in front of him like a clock’s arms.

“Jay…” Faith muttered, a little disappointed. “If you don’t talk to Titania and try to resolve this issue between yourselves, then I will. Your relationship is more important than mine with her. I don’t want to interfere if I don’t have to but… both of you are too stubborn. If one of you don’t make the first move, then neither of you will. And you have a mind of your own, Jay. You can use it.” Faith groaned as she looked to the sky. “Good Gods… You two just need to work things out. You can’t be doing this bullshit. It won’t go anywhere. So, since I’m pretty sure that you’re going to wait for Titania no matter what I say, I might as well just leave and find her now…” The Duck Thrope groaned again as she turned around to walk back towards the manor.

The staff floated past her, twirling a bit faster. “Bad move. I’d hit her at this point, and that would mean a fight… a real one. And I don’t think you want either of us killing the other.”

“Well, it’s better than what you’re doing right now. You two need to talk and I can be there to keep you both in check. So… This isn’t as hard as it sounds. And if I am hurt in the process… then so be it.” Faith pushed the staff out of her way with one gentle blast of air from her hand before continuing out of the grove.

The staff flew at the back of her neck, aiming at a spot that would knock her out. Faith blocked it, but stumbled as a blast of air appeared between her and the staff in order to do so, catching on to Jay’s plan a little late.

A watery helix formed into his hand as he approached, his eyes cool and confident. “I won’t forgive her yet. Do not pressure me to do so.” He said icily, his staff flying behind him.

Faith looked over her shoulder once she caught herself. “If you won’t do it now, then when? You can’t be like this towards each other forever. Something should happen, whether it be now or soon. Otherwise, it’s just going to get worse. You both are exaggerating how you feel about each other right now. I don’t want to imagine how you’ll feel about each other if this continues for something like the next two months... So, instead of injuring me, why don’t you think about it? Think about fixing what’s broken. She doesn’t exactly have to come to you. I’m only pressuring you because I care about the both of you and when you’re doing nothing to fix your relationship… it hurts everyone involved with the both of you and I don’t like seeing you both like this. So, I suppose you could go up to her and get back your… contract…” Faith hesitated on the word. “And I’d be okay with that, even. You guys just need to… find a sort of conclusion you both can agree on. But the way things are now is not healthy for either of you. I just want everything to… I don’t know… It doesn’t matter. I’ll just… leave you alone. Sorry for being an ass…” She turned back to the exit and continued to walk away from Jay.

The helix faded away as Sancros tried to become more formal. “Faith, you can’t intervene for us if neither person wants to reconcile with the other. I know you care about both of us, and we care about you. But this is not the time to fix what has been damaged, no matter how you feel. At this point, Titania and I will put up with each other, but that is it. I won’t say anything horrible about her in front of you, but… you’ll have to realize that life doesn’t always have a happy ending to it.” Edan said quietly, his staff floating into his hand.

Black0ut

Conflicts with… Resolutions? (Pt.2)

“I, of all people, know at least that much…”

“Then you know that there is a chance that this relationship will never be fixed.”

Faith paused in her tracks. “Yes. I know…”

“And if it doesn't, you’ll have to deal with us not liking each other much.” Edan walked up behind her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. “You may be put in such a position. If you think you can get her to understand why I’m upset, try it. But if she gets upset at you… then I will be incredibly sorry.”

“I appreciate your kindness towards my own feelings on the situation. I am ready for any outcome that comes of this. And… if you don’t want me to, I won’t talk to her. But I do want you both to at least understand where the other comes from. That’s all. Otherwise, you two can pick which outcome suits you best. That’s all I want…” Faith adjusted her glasses on her bill as she stepped away from Jay’s hand and turned to face him.

“I do. It’s why I am upset. I have a very… logical view of things. It’s very hard to get others to see my view, let alone accept or compromise with them.” He explained sighing, as he looked to the side. “I still care a tiny bit about her, as she did save me from a terrible life, but she has hurt me enough to where I do not wish to admit it.”

“So, you’re saying that you understand what she’s going through but she hasn’t been given the chance to understand what you’re going through? And that it’s difficult to put her in your shoes due to your own faults? Am I correct on hearing this? Because there’s understanding one’s own flaws...” Faith held out her left hand in gesture. “and then there’s this.” Faith held out her other hand in a similar gesture.

“I have tried in the past to get her ton understand. It usually ends with an explosive rant and hard feelings between us for the next month. I doubt that’ll change if I try to convince her.” He said quietly, sighing somewhat.

“Well, you seem to have hard feelings anyway… What’s there to lose, by this point?” Faith muttered.

“She could sell me in anger.” He answered.

“Then I’ll buy you. Again, do you have anything else to lose?” At the realization of what she just said, Faith cringed slightly.

Jay narrowed his eyes. “Apprentice, you have much to learn in the ways of socializing with other people… if I were a more petty person, you would’ve sent me away and I would begin to loathe you. Luckily, I know you didn’t mean to insult me, so no apologies are needed.” He said somewhat icily, before his voice became a bit warmer. “Besides, you don’t have enough money to buy me anyways. I have magic, which makes me far more valuable to people.”

“Okay… Then, let’s take this in a different direction. I won’t let Titania sell you. Is that better?” Faith looked up into Jay’s eyes, holding a hand to her forehead.

“And how do you plan to do that?”

“I have my ways.” The Duck Thrope shrugged, looking a little mischievous.

Sancros merely raised an eyebrow, seemingly doubting her.

“What? I do!” Faith stomped her foot on the ground. “I’m not as ignorant as I seem. I’ve done my research. There’s a reason I stay away from people all the time, you know.”

“You’re adorable when you’re angry. You almost make it hard to focus on conversing with you… almost.” He teased, floating into the air on a few balls of light. “But my guess was you like reading romance novels too much.”

“I’m just going to ignore your first comment…” The Duck Thrope grumbled. “But I read those too. Some of them even have pictures, which makes it easier for a virgin like me to understand what’s going on.”

“You’re smart enough to know what’s happening. Stop pretending you’re just dumb enough to not know or understand, but yet smart enough to hold sophisticated conversation with me. You can’t have it both ways.” He countered, shaking his head. “Besides.. There’s a prostitution area in the nearby town. Go there if you want a first-person understanding of sex.”

“You and I both know that going to a brothel in order to physically participate in sexual acts is a bad idea for many different reasons.” Faith glared at the taller Light Elf as she slowly floated up to where he was. “And yes. Yes, I can have it both ways.”

“Oh, you’d have fun. Besides, don’t you want experience for whoever Mr. Right is? Might make things go a bit smoother…” He started light heartedly, before he zipped over to her, his gaping hole of an eye seemingly peering into both of hers. “But what also would make things go smoother between us is where you acquired Light magic from nowhere.”

“Mevah, the Goddess of Life. She gave me things to basically throw around wherever I wished and all she asked for was to watch. She was very kind to me but she did have a man with her who I didn’t converse as fully with. So, this mystical source you’re looking for is her.” Faith backed up a little bit, giving herself some space, her face soft. “I apologize for worrying you, but if you think Mevah is someone to be concerned about, then I wouldn’t mind hearing about it.”

“Well… she isn’t. But most Immortals, or Gods, tend to be a fickle bunch. Some intervene in mortal lives to tempt and betray people like us. Others to manipulate and control. And the rarest ones, which is what I hope you have gotten, are the ones who do it out of kindness. Mevah… is supposedly one of the better ones.” Sancros explained, pulling back and opening his other eye. “I really don’t scare you, huh?”

Faith looked at Jay incredulously. “Why would I be scared of you? You have yet to hurt me for no physical reason. You’ve kindly taught me and complimented me on how well I was learning and my effectiveness of doing what you’ve asked. The only thing that anyone could consider unsettling would be your outward appearance. However, even at a particular angle, I can’t even see that as threatening or scary.” Her posture adjusted slightly as her emotions shifted to express a more curious body language. “So, should I fear Mevah or…?”

“For now… no. I don’t think you should.” He advised, trying to hide a genuine smile. After a moment, his eyes closed and focused. His smile disappeared as he focused on Faith. “You’re more confident, and you haven’t stuttered this whole time. Your adrenaline hasn’t even spiked and you’ve been showing your emotions… did Mevah boost your confidence?”

“I’d say it’s more the magic than her specifically, but… it could have been her doing. I don’t… particularly understand why I stuttered as hard as I have been and why she could suddenly cure it, in a sense.”

“Well, I’m happy you’re better. I know you didn’t like to stutter... so with this, I’m sure you’re ecstatic. You should try to see how Titania will react, as I’m sure you didn’t want to surprise her with it immediately.”

“I'm happy as well, but I suppose Titania is rather dense enough to not notice it. I didn't see any sudden exclamation of surprise the last time we spoke.” Faith paused for a moment. “Although, it would be best if she didn't hear me say that first part…” Her voice dipped to a more silent tone with her last sentence, feeling a little guilty after the fact.

“Unassuming is the better term, but yes, yes she is.” Sancros agreed, noticing Faith’s guilt. “And it appears you got conflicting emotions… jealousy… and loneliness. I wonder why you’d have that… everything going alright with the bit- erm, with your adopted mother?”

“I have no quarrels with ‘the bitch’, and she has no quarrels with me either. However… Kva has kinda taken up all the time I used to spend with her. Which I expected to happen… I just… didn't want it to come true.” Faith tugged on the edge of her hood. “I have things to focus on without her, but it's hard to get better at swordplay without another sword, if you catch my drift.” Her hand, after a quick realization, met her forehead. “Accidental puns… they pop out of nowhere…”

Sancros put a finger in his mouth and tested the air with it. “I don’t think I did. Might need to do it again for me to catch the effects.” He teased, before his face lost its merriment. “As for Kva… talk to her. Have a conversation with her, as an adult, and ask her to stop taking too much time with Titania. Perhaps that will aid you, instead of being so passive about it.”

The Duck Thrope raised an eyebrow as she glared at the Light Elf. “So, I should simply walk up to a fully armored Death Priest and ask them to give me something that they have strong possession of? I do believe that is what people refer to as ‘suicide’. You know, let alone the fact that while my stutter may have disappeared, I am still very bad with socialization. Easy to forget, I know. I'm just that good at talking with people, it's crazy.”

A staff rapped against her head gently as Sancros rolled his eye. “She’s not that mean… and even if she is, Kva puts up with me. She already knows how important you are to Titania, so she won’t hurt you physically and she’ll probably apologize. But you’ll never know, if you don’t try.” He floated over to her, grabbing her robe roughly. “I know you have the power to become resilient in the face of adversity, so I know you can talk to her. Stop trying to pass off bullshit to me. I really, really do not like you selling yourself short.”

Faith rubbed the spot that the staff had hit, wincing. “Well, I don't exactly enjoy you selling yourself short either. If you realize, you just tried to get me to understand your side of how you see Kva, whereas I see something else. So…” She looked up into Jay’s eye, a glint a little too suspicious present within. “When you talk to Titania and sort out your issue with her… I will do the same with Kva. How's that?”

Black0ut

Conflicts with… Resolutions? (Pt.3)

“I could just tell Titania about what you said. That’d hurt her and isolate you both further.” He replied coldly, releasing her as he descended swiftly to the ground. “There will be no negotiations on whether you’ll go to Kva. You will. Or I start ruining your relationship with her.”

Faith sighed, disappointed as she slowly descended to the ground. “Well, that's no fun…” she muttered.

“Well, I don’t care about ‘fun’. I care about you fixing your relationship with her via Kva.” Jay said quietly, as he raised an eyebrow, his staff flying into his hand. “And I am willing to ruin your relationship. I am angry at her enough to do it.”

“Well, I care about you fixing your relationship with her through a rather intelligent but socially awkward Duck Thrope, but that’s not nearly as important, now, is it?...” Faith crossed her arms and let out a little huff as she turned her head.

“No. And I don’t care. I am not your father or any other family member. I am a stranger to you. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, which choice will you choose?” He asked, his voice still cold as his magical aura flared up.

“So, you're willing to talk to Titania not to fix your relationship… but to make the relationship between her and I worse?... Seems a little backwards.” Faith tilted her head in confusion.

Several shields of light and water surrounded the Light Elf as he started walking towards the Guild proper.

“So…” Faith floated up next to Jay, her arms outspread like a ducks wings. “How am I supposed to find Kva, Mister Serious?”

“Find Titania, and if she is not there, send magic out to scout for her. She knows it as a tactic I have done in the past.” He said, walking into her, the shield attacking her lightly with water and light magic.

The shields rubbed against Faiths robes, making light sparks with the friction. “But I doubt she'll be able to recognize my wind magic as anything special and my light magic isn't developed enough to do what you can with it.” Faith moved away from the shield, choosing to float backwards ahead of Jay instead. “I mean, what am I to do if I don't find her with Titania, or worse, I find them having sex again?”

“Then wait and after they are done, ask to speak to Kva alone. If she isn’t with Titania, then use your magic. She’s perceptive to know a question when she sees or feels it pass by.” He countered, his pace becoming faster.

“But, shouldn't I be asking questions once I'm actually talking to her? Wouldn't it be more productive to request something from her with my wind magic? But… then there's the problem of if she'd understand requests or if it's just questions…” Faith paused, giving a slight dramatic pause between the different problems. “And isn't it kind of awkward to waltz in after they just had sex and just say, ‘Hey, by the way, I want to spend more time with your gf. That cool?’?” The Duck Thrope’s own pace quickened with her teacher's, her posed problems an attempt to take up as much time as she could.

“I don’t care… all I require is a yes, you will go talk with Kva within three to four days, or a no, you will not and I start destroying your relationship with Titania.” Sancros said emotionlessly, his face darkening somewhat.

“Fine.” Faith threw her hands in the air in defeat as she turned around to float normally back to the guild, a little irritated and having nothing else to say to the Light Elf.

The shields faded as the Light Elf smiled. “Go… and start living a little for yourself…” He whispered, his face one of pride and sadness.

Black0ut

Insane Dank- er Darkness & Black0ut present:
Remembrance of a Life Passed

The Black Knight shined her blade, before looking at the rusty piece of equipment in the corner of her small shack. She sighed and sheathed her blade before she set about polishing it, getting as much rust off of it as possible while her memories flooded in.

-------------------------------------------------------

The battle had been won, but it was borderline pyrrhic. Their losses were higher due to the vampire force being more skilled than the common rabble that they had fought, but even a small vampiric force of a hundred and shouldn’t be able to kill nearly twice their own numbers, right…? The Black Knight sighed, taking off her helmet to reveal a head of black hair that was silky to the touch. Her brown eyes were older than someone of merely twenty-two years of age should have, but the war had changed her enough. Her trick dagger had already saved her several times as had her trick blade, the customization done solely by her, as were the several to her various companions. Sitting down on the green hill, she shivered, her mind and body taxed from the fighting.

A metallic hand caressed her cheek, the culprit himself having snuck up on her. “Ah, beautiful as ever, Alex.” A cocky smile peered over her shoulder, a little too happy for the events that had just transpired.

Alex ran an armored hand through her hair. “We can’t keep losing people like this, Aldie… we have to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again…”

“You’re right. But I’m glad you’re safe.” Aldren gathered Alex into a hug. “We need to find a better strategy. Maybe accidentally splitting up is the culprit…” He let out a guilty giggle, as he was the first one who got separated from the group.

“Why did you…? I spent the rest of the battle looking for you, with a lot of Vamps targeting me as a leader of the army. You’re lucky I only got ran through once, Aldren.” She murmured, reaching behind her to return the hug awkwardly.

Aldren maneuvered around her in order to look into her eyes while they talked. As their eyes met, he glanced down at the point where she was stabbed; a stomach wound that missed any major organs. Even so, he still cringed. Resuming eye contact, he laid a hand on Alex’s wound as he moved closer to her, healing it with his Celestial magic with the vibrant light coming from his hand and her wound making it obvious that he was doing so. Aldren gave Alex a half-assed smile, his expression filled with more worry than anything else. “Sorry…”

“We’re soldiers, Aldie, and we’re a part of the same team. Please stay with me next time, okay? I don’t know what I’d do without you…” She said, wrapping her arms around him as she kissed his cheek with a gentleness that she rarely showed.

Aldren moved his arms to wrap around Alex’s waist, his healing job complete. “I know… And I don’t know what I’d do without you either, Alex…”

She kissed him again, as five walls of earth surrounded them, one acting as a ceiling of sorts, protecting them in case of attack. “Get a room, you two. You both nearly fuck each other at the end of every mission…” One of their compatriots called out in a teasing voice.

“I’m going to kill him, Aldren. I swear today, despite being exhausted and promising it for months, today, I will shoot him where he stands or floats.” She growled, irritated that her intimate moment with her fiancé was being ruined.

“Well, I’ll have to heal him, so… Just don’t kill him? I guess? Leave him on the brink, maybe? Am I a supportive fiancé or…?”

She sighed, and merely kissed him again. “I thought you were gonna kill me? What am I, chopped liver?” The Golden Knight said, smugness evident in his echoed voice.

“More of a steaming pile of shit.” Came her response.

“Ouch… what’s pissing you off, Alexander?”

A flash of light and the Golden Knight’s helmet was mid-fall, a hand wrapped around his throat. “Wanna say that again? I couldn’t hear you say her name right the FIRST TIME!” Aldren’s grip hardened as his voice rose, anger rather apparent on his face.

An extreme amount of wind shoved Aldren away from him, as well as the mage’s neck briefly turning to water before turning back. “Aldren, we’re on the same side. And besides, while you keep getting lost, I’m saving her magnificent ass. Don’t grab my throat again, unless you’re into strangling people.” The Knight said, his voice having a hard edge to it despite his jovial nature.

A hard, loud crack followed by cracks in the stone marked some of the anger Alex had being exerted through physical force.

“Well, you’re such a team player, aren’t you?...” Aldren sarcastically groaned. “If we were on the same side, you’d keep your words to yourself. And look. See what you’ve done? There’s very little I can do about her now, you know.” Aldren pointed to the biggest hole in the structure the Golden Knight had created.

“Seeing as how I literally control most elements, and I have to protect everyone else, I get to be an asshole to everyone, at least with nicknames and actions, and did you really think I’d let her out of that cage, when she has her weapons? I still want to live, thank you very much… there’s mud in there, a wind wall, stone walls, several layers of glass, and effectively an electrified wall for good measure.” The Gold Knight listed off before the joviality faded. “You abandoned your post in the middle of battle. Why?”

An incredibly hot beam of light nicked the Golden Knight’s ear. “That’s for trapping my fiance. Now, as for your question… Why did I ‘abandon my post’? Well, let’s just say that I didn’t get clear orders as to where I should be. So, I didn’t willingly ‘abandon my post’,” The second time, Aldren waved his hands back and forth in a mocking tone. “Alright? No one told me what the fuck to do and where the fuck to be. And yes, you are an asshole. You are well aware of that, just like everyone else, clearly.”

“And I can’t keep covering for you when you run off. We’re a team, and each person plays their part. We lost almost the entire army we were assigned to by an enemy literally less than half our strength, and a lot of those casualties could’ve been saved.” Gold said floating closer to Aldren until they were face to face. “We lost too many and part of it is your fault. If I focused elsewhere, Alex would’ve received more than a mere flesh wound. So… I want to hear an apology, and I need you to tell me you’ll stay close enough… next time, at least.”

“If you stop tormenting everyone, I will. However, I think that’s a bit too steep of a stipulation to put on ‘the big, macho, one-man-army himself: The Golden Knight!’. Seriously, dude. Like, it’s not funny. It’s not morale-boosting. It’s annoying. And you’re on my ass for something I had no control over. I got no help. How was I supposed to help all of you when no one was helping me? And yes, we lost a lot. But at least I was here to pick up afterwards. I have something more to do other than protect people. I save people. I save people that have been helped. And guess who wasn’t helped this time? That’s right, it was me. The Doctor. The Boy That Literally Needs Other People’s Help Just To Do His Job. Yeah, that’s me. That’s what I do. So, don’t say it was entirely my fault.”

“I never did say it was your fault. And if I didn’t protect Alex? You wouldn’t have a fiance right now. So… would you like me to stop? Want me to ensure next time that someone from our team dies? No? Then how about you actually stick with everyone, instead of trying to act alone.” Gold frowned, poking his chestplate. “You have no idea how stressful it is to keep everyone alive or at least still able to fight, while you are away. And if I really, really wanted to, I could take on a Vampire army, by myself. I choose to fight with this group because you all are family to me. So shut the fuck up and stop trying to .”

“You make yourself sound much more benevolent than you are, when all you really want is attention, compliments, and thank-yous. You do things to spite others. You enjoy making others suffer under your feet. You enjoy using people’s feelings against them. And why? What does all of this enjoyment lead to? Suffering? Yeah, I’d say so. And, let’s jump back to the real topic that you wanted to talk about. Don’t want to start getting into your head or anything. So, where do I start? Oh, yes! The fact that I wasn’t around. Was that partly my fault? Yes. Was that partly your fault? Yes. Was it a mistake? Yes. Am I aware of it? Yes. Am I going to use this mistake as a learning tool for future reference? Yes. So, let’s skip past that one, as we’ve concluded that section already, okay? Okay. So, next… Hmm, what could it be?... Ah, RIGHT! You protecting Alex. THAT’S what I was going to talk about next. So, you think she can’t defend herself? You think she’s someone in need of protection. ‘Aww… She’s just a wittle child that needs pwotection,’ huh?... Yeah, tell that to someone with half a brain. She’s perfectly capable of fighting without you. You can also fight perfectly well without her. And, while I know you want to congratulate you on a job well done while you were protecting her, sure. Here you go: THANK YOU. Is that what you wanted from me? Do I need to get on the ground, kiss your disgusting fucking feet now too? Is THAT what you want me to do? Anyway. Is the number of casualties partly my fault? Sure. But are they also yours? Yes. So please. Don’t be an ass. We both fucked up. Learn your damn place as a living godsdamn being and just shut. The fuck. Up. Can we just fucking agree to disagree? Brother?”

Black0ut

Remembrance of a Life Passed, pt.2

A hard punch sent him out of the sky, as Gold’s helmet floated back on his head. “We can. And you can be worse than me, apparently. Thank you so much for this. Perhaps I should just dance around the fact of the three hemomancers who targeted me and Alex? Maybe I should tell you that it was a blade that sucked blood out of the victim? Maybe I should tell you she nearly blacked out from it, and that if I was truly fucking petty, I could’ve let her die, but instead used my magic to kill the one hurting her while I was nearly stabbed with the blood of the fallen?” He said quietly his voice dripping with anger and pain.

“I don’t care how much people hate me, because that’s been my life. But you? You who has friends, who has people to give a damn about him? Tell me, White, during the last battle, when I was fucked up, did any of you come to help me? Save me? Make sure I didn’t die? No… you were all so busy fighting together. I know you did what you had to do, but even when I’m hurt, I look after everyone no matter what and that’s my flaw, apparently. Giving a damn. So fuck you and her. You want to be condescending on the fact that an orphan boy who had no money, hoped that two Nobles would actually be something akin to a family for him? Nope, you just have to fucking throw a good emotional hit into the mix.” The stones surrounding Alex faded, as did the other magical wards. “Stupid me… what did I expect of two nobles? Respect? Comradery? Kinship? Aratenda’s bouncing tits, I must be the most stupid person alive.” With that he began to float away, his weapon, a bladed staff, flew up into his hand.

“For the record…” Aldren grunted, pushing himself off the ground. “I’m not a Noble. I’m a bodyguard. A bodyguard who was let off, seeing as there was a war to fight in and my brother is almost as strong as I. It was the Tsar’s kindness that allows us to even enter the same building as him. Otherwise, we would be farmers, grinding away at the fields like we used to. But our family had something he found in us that he would find more useful. Not even I know what it was, but I am grateful for whatever it is. My family is as well. So, you say that your big flaw is that you care too much. I say that you don’t care in the right ways. You care on the battlefield. But you have to care within the realms of conversation as well. Otherwise, you just sound stuck-up and that you were only doing them a favor you expect to be repaid for. As a doctor, I am well aware of how much you care on the battlefield. I do so myself. But the way you act outside of battle is rather unacceptable for a ‘family’, as you put it. And, if you truly want a family, you have to try a little harder to put yourself in our shoes in order for us to want to put ourselves in yours. And those friends that I have? I didn’t earn them by saying that they needed to pay me back for healing their wounds. I did it out of the kindness of my heart, expecting nothing in return other than their happiness and ability to function wholly as a person. And I’m sorry for not saving you in the fight. If you’ll let me, I can heal you now. You have a few places that need some healing. Your attitude towards us, though, is something I don’t have much control over helping you with. I’m not a miracle worker, after all.”

“Aldren… first off, you’re still a noble, as your family line is bodyguards, not just you. Secondly, I have been an outcast my entire life due to being the smartest one in a room usually. I have never made friends, and the ones who say they are, use me for whatever suits them. Thirdly, whenever we are in a barracks or travelling, no one talks to me. No one checks in. No one cares. I came to the conclusion that since no one cares, I will make them care, whether that be negatively or positively. And for the moment… your words… earlier… if you had thought any part of being an asshole to me would make me want you to be my friend, you’ve failed miserably. Just… leave me alone. You made your point clear.” Gold said just loud enough for Aldren to hear him, as he floated towards their base of operation.

Alex looked between the two of them with a concerned look, before raising her eyebrows at Aldren as if asking what happened.

A mischievous smirk crossed his face as he flashed. A hand appeared on the Golden Knight’s helmet around the forehead area, emitting a bright light. “Alright, you stubborn fool. I know you want people to talk to you and be nice to you. No need to deny it. If you’re looking for someone to do so, a doctor is the best choice. Just, you know… Don’t attack me directly because then I’m not exactly a doctor. SO! Now that your wounds are healed, you’re irritated with life, as usual, and you are headed back to the barracks alone, I believe that it is my duty, as your doctor and brother, to make sure you get back safely. And now, I’m hoping that you can see how much I am capable of caring. You just have to make yourself known. Although, I’d prefer that you do so kindly next time. I’m gonna need a psychologist one of these days…”

Gold’s eyes stared forward. “And how long will this last? This isn’t the first time you’ve done this, and you only seem to last a week every time. Then, it stops. You really think this will be the last time, or are you just going to stop again? Because if it’s the latter, I can find my way back alone.”

“Once you stop teasing Alex, I won’t be like that. You, of all people, know how protective I am of her, but I also like giving her her own space to, you know, exist. But I also don’t want her to actually, like, kill you, you know? So, at least it’s been me every time. And I let you throw me around, etc. etc. It’s better than her attacking you. I care a lot for her, but I do care for you as well, just, you know… at a smaller increment. But, I know you’re capable of being a good person. It’s just… hard for me to see it sometimes. So I do, well, that.” Aldren shrugged, taking back his hand. “And, uh… Sorry about the hand…”

Gold said nothing for a few moments, helmet freezing somewhat over with ice. “It’s fine.” the muffled voice came out, his face hidden from emotion as well as the helmet effectively locked onto his head.

“So, do you think you’ll be able to be nice to Alex? I’m not going to ask you to apologize to her, but I do feel bad for saying what I did. I know you haven’t had the best time with life as a whole, but… If there’s anything I can do for you, it wouldn’t hurt to let me know. I can heal physical injuries, but I’m not a mind-reader.” A blast of light erupted from the ground as Aldren’s helmet came flying through the air towards the two. An inch before hitting the back of the Golden Knight’s helmet, Aldren caught it before placing it atop his own head. “Sorry… That just felt kind of necessary…”

An indecipherable murmur was the other Knight’s response, before a familiar woman’s voice called up to them. “Aldren? Mind if I come up to- woah! Not- shit, you bastard!” Alex tried to get out as the wind lifted her up, practically tossing her all the way up, stopping when she reached their altitude.

“I can try… somewhat. But even you have to admit it’s somewhat amusing to see her swearing as she’s flying up here.” Gold replied, the ice melting enough so he could look at Aldren.

Aldren held out a hand for his lover to hang on to. “I found it more adorable than amusing, but that’s not exactly my point, you know. Just try to be nicer. That way, she won’t try to murder you, I won’t have to step in, etc. etc.”

“The other alternative was sending her up at a ludicrous speed… and given she doesn’t fly much… I thought I’d be a bit nicer than normal. What’s that saying… baby steps? Yeah, that. Besides, she is a bit too focused and depressed after battle. I’d rather have her angry than sad.” Gold countered as Alex took Aldren’s hand.

“I know where you sleep.” Alex grumbled, casting a glare at Gold

“Everyone knows where everyone else sleeps. That’s the whole point of a barracks, Alex. If you didn’t, I’d be a bit more worried.”

“Well, this is a better back-and-forth than before. I appreciate the effort you two are putting in. Well, maybe it’s just one of you, but I can see how this can improve.” Aldren glanced down at the woman by his side, raising an eyebrow so as to point out the person he was referring to.

She raised an eyebrow. “Uh, no. You don’t get to play doctor with me, unless it’s in the bedroom. And I can stop and make you beg me to jump you. You really should pick your battles better.”

“That’s way too much information, thank you very much.” Gold groaned, rubbing his helmet where his forehead would be.

Alex smirked and an evil look appeared on her face. “Well, Aldren’s foreplay skills still make m-”

“Stop. Now. Please. For the love of all things holy, no one needs to know about your sex life.” Gold floated a couple feet back.

“I could probably write a whole book about it.” Aldren chimed in.

Black0ut

Remembrance of a Life Passed, pt.3

“Not you too… Why…?”

“Because payback is a bitch.” Alex interrupted, grinned evilly.

“No, you’re a bitch.”

“Semantics.”

“You guys good? I feel like throwing the word ‘bitch’ around is the best way for things to head south pretty fucking quick. But, what do I know? I’m not a doctor in that field.”

“Aldie, it’s okay. I have to let him defend himself verbally… I mean it wouldn’t do for a man to get his ass kicked by a girl.” Alex said, kissing her lover’s neck.

“Says the demon.”

“See? He can’t help himself anymore. I’ve already started winning.”

“When did this become a competition?” Gold asked.

“The moment you became an ass.”

“Fair enough, I suppose… but you’re still a demon.”

“Only on my period. You can ask Aldren if you want.”

“Period sex; Not exactly as kinky as it sounds…” Aldren muttered.

“Why are we talking about sex? This-”

“Did I hit the virgin’s weak spot? I think I did.~”

“Th-that’s not the point I-”

“What’s wrong? Can’t talk about sex without getting embarrassed~?” Alex continued to tease, planning on returning everything he did via embarrassment.

“Aldren… what have you done to her?” Gold asked incredulously, shaking his head.

“If I told you I fucked her silly, would that suffice? Otherwise, you might have to ask yourself the same question you just posed to me…” Aldren continued with his neutral stance in the situation at hand.

A chaotic aura surrounded Alex’s finger as she quickly cut off a part of Aldren’s lower armor. The aura disappeared as she grabbed her prize. “The first one was right.”

“What the actual fuck… are you just so hyped up on hormones, you’re willing to do… this, anywhere?”

“Pretty much. Besides he doesn’t mind… do you, babe?” Alex asked, staring up at him with a sultry look.

Aldren’s eyes were nearly popping out of his head, a hesitant smile on his face. “U-um… Couldn’t have chosen a better time to… ‘claim your prize’? What, are we having sex in the sky now? I mean, it’s kinky, I’ll give you that, but… I don’t know about there being onlookers.”

“This isn’t sex, it’s foreplay… and besides, as soon as Gold-y leaves… the sooner I’ll stop.” She positioned herself in front of him, grinding slowly on him.

Gold’s helmet froze over to hide the lecherous sight from his eyes. “Why…? Why are you like this..?”

“Well, I am trying to embarrass you… but I also like making my fiancé blush.”

“Good Gods… Let’s just head back to the barracks… At least that way I won’t have to worry about my dick flailing in the afternoon breeze, if you catch my drift. Which I literally just stated in a way that’s easy to comprehend...” Aldren covered his crotch as he turned towards the direction of the barracks, a hand in the middle of his lover’s chest to keep her far away enough to do so.

“I’m done! Nope… I need to go drown myself in whatever alcohol I can find, because I do not need this shit, right now. Nope, nope, nope.” Gold said as he increased his speed and flew away.

Alex laughed, her grin still evil. “That’ll make him stop for a month or two. Thanks babe… I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Well, I’m glad you two are getting along… or whatever equivalent that was.”
--------------------------------

Alex smiled, or she would’ve had she still had lips… or a natural body. She finished cleaning the sword, the gold on it sparkling as it did the first time she ever used it.

“Those were the best years of my life… Good friends, I’d die for… a man I loved...” She murmured to herself, her voice more tired than it had ever been. She finished getting the rust off, as chaotic magic dripped from the helmet almost as if they were tears.

Black0ut

Frostlich1228 & Black0ut present:
A Maiden Betwixt

Standing at the edge of the Forest, their trip over here by train took them a number of days, it was a long journey, but they were here.

Sylvie, Jay, Kva, and Titania stood a the edge of the woods, looking into it's dark interior.

Kva sighed. "What we are looking for here better be worth it... My Apprentice is in the hands of an Old One and every second counts..."

"I know something important is here..." Sylvie answered determinedly, "After this, we'll ask Ahusirra and Áine if she and the Fairies would be willing to help us."

"Sounds good, Sylvie. I already got a friend who works with the Princess, so she'll probably hear us out." Titania said cheerily, her normal longsword as well as a shortsword on her hip, a new metal shield on her left arm.

"Wait. We still have one last member to wait on. One that shows how annoyed I am with a certain Goddess..." Sancros said, a malevolent smile on his face.

"Jay... What are you talking about?" Sylvie gave him a worried look.

"Oh... we needed a guide for the more malevolent side of the forest, and I got us one." His smile widened, a playful ball of water floating in the air.

"Why would that be bad, then?" Titania asked, her face worried as well. Sancros ignored her, still seemingly upset at her.

"Look. Whoever this is, are you sure... Do you trust him?" The Human Woman asked, sighing.

"I trust that he'll do his job, as he has a suitable reward that'll keep him acting true. Besides, if I said he was one of our guild members, would you stop worrying?" The Light Elf asked, shrugging as his staff twirled overhead.

"Alright... Where is he?" Sylvie took a quick look around.

"If my calculations are right, he will arrive... now." Jay said staring straight ahead. Nothing happened for a few seconds before a heavily reinforced Construct came into view, it's Netzi passenger barely awake.

The Construct stopped as it got fairly close to them, Tack leaning up to talk to them. "So... I hear you guys are going into the Forest... I got a few presents to deliver while I'm in there, but I'll help as best as I can." His eyes looked at all of them in turn. "Sancros already told me your names and what to expect, albeit with some meanness towards one of you. My name's Tack, and it's a pleasure to be helping you... even if this is a one way trip for me."

Kva raised an eyebrow at him when he mentioned the meanness, but held her tongue as Sylvie spoke. "What do you mean... One way? You aren't leaving?"

"In a way." Tack shared a glance with Sancros, before shrugging. "It's not a big deal. I'll get something out of this, you'll get something out of this... it's a win-win situation."

Titania leaned over and whispered quietly enough for only Kva to hear, "I'm getting a bad feeling about this... more for him than anything. What are you thinking, Kva?"

Kva sighed, "It sounds like he is trying to do something behind all of our backs... Even Sylvie..."

"Alrightie people, let's go! Oh! And rule number one: Respect nature. Rule number two: No killing or hurting the Maiden trees. They are alive and while they can be horrifying, they are like you and me. Sentient beings. So don't hurt them. Besides... it's not them that's the scary thing in the woods." Tack explained in a grandiose, excited way, as he gestured towards the forest. "Shall we?"

"Hopefully this doesn't blow up in our face..." Titania murmured unhappily.

Sylvie blinked, a little frustrated seeing a Netzi she just met act as their guide into the forest.

The Huntress cleared her throat, adding her own advice almost as if to compete with him. "I'm surprised you know about the Maiden Trees, but you should treat them the same as anything else in the forest: with great respect... First things first, we are heading to the Village of the Fairies... You... Do know where that is, right Mr. Guide?"

"Sylvie, right? I do know the way, 'cause It's not my first time going through the woods, albeit it has been awhile. Studying only helps so far." He smiled a bit grimly. "Besides... finding our way will be a pain, that is if your Goddess wants you to go through the forest first to your... dream place? He didn't fill me in too much on the details." Tack replied, still smiling, but his gaze focusing on Sylvie.

Sylvie walked alongside him, looking at him suspiciously. "So. Why did you come to our forest before? What are you looking for here?"

"For an expedition and I got to meet that Light Elf... Pal- something or other. He was our guide for that expedition. Needless to say, it went to hell and we explored the Forest proper after losing two of our members. As for what I'm looking for... a girl. Name's Nanscy. I hope I'll see her so I can give her some gifts I got for her." Tack answered, his voice becoming quieter and more bitter.

"Pallida? He's my friend. He knows this forest as well as some of our hunters." Syl squinted at him with suspicion. "Things don't 'go to hell' in this forest for no reason. What did you do?"

"One of the members in my expedition, didn't respect nature enough... and when he came face to face with a Maiden Tree... he didn't make it." Tack's voice became somber, as his gaze travelled downwards.

Not taking her eye off of him, she continued her walk, they went on for around a half hour before discovering little glowing handprints on the trees.

"Sylvie, how close are we to that village?" Titania asked, wrapping her hands around Kva. "After all, you have more experience in this area."

Tack opened his mouth, but frowned and shut it. He looked over at the Human in question, waiting on her answer to see if he needed to correct it.

"Not too far now. These are Fairy Guide Symbols, they also act as sort of... Magic recharge posts for them..." The Forest Woman gave her.

Sancros gently put a hand on her shoulder, not saying a word but a confident look in his eyes.

Titania, on the other hand, released Kva to examine the symbols in further detail. "These are recharge areas for Faeries? I wonder if the Lustania faeries have something similar..." She murmured, her curiosity piqued.

"As Far as I know it's like... Magic Paint. Created by boiling mud from their well of power into a... sort of magical goo." The Huntress explained briefly.

Titania stared at the paint for a few moments longer before stepping back and looking at Sylvie. "Where to, Sylvie?"

"NorthEast a ways... I'm surprised we haven't run into too many guards yet..." Sylvie said, walking forward and stepping through some webs that clung onto her shoes. "What... Spider Webs..."

Tack laughed patting Rocky's metal shell. "Seems your Goddess wants you now, not later. Onwards, we go... where we'll stop, Sylvie knows." He scratched his head, shrugging. "Or something similar. I guess you finding that cave takes priority."

Sylvie growled, turning towards him. "What's your Problem!?"

"I got to see my entire team be massacred by a threat that my guild didn't take seriously, half of the remains of my expedition leader while he was alive, and my lover died. Not to mention your Goddess took someone I actually like." Tack answered, a pained look in his face. "Is it wrong to mask my misery with some humor?"

Titania coughed, trying to break up what she thought was a fight. "Let's just continue, okay?"

"My Goddess doesn't just take people for no reason. If Ahusirra does have her, then she probably did something to deserve it." Sylvie fought, looking around at the group she had put together. "The way I see it, only one person is out of place in this group of my most trusted friends. I only agreed to have you come along because Jay trusts you, and I believe in him."

"Where is Mother Slime when you need them...?" He murmured grumpily, before he put on another smile. "I'm not trying to fight you and I have nothing but respect for you. From what I understand from Sancros, you are one of the best people alive. If I disrespected you somehow, please tell me what I can do to make up for it." Tack floated off his construct and stuck his hand out.

"Just... Stop undermining me. I know my forest. The Fairies are this way. If you don't agree then feel free to go your own way because it's clear that you are here for your own reasons." Ahusirra's Chosen put a hand on her hip, speaking sternly.

The Netzi looked taken aback, his easygoing smile casing in lieu of a frown. "I'm not trying to undermine you. Jay talked with me and said you needed a guide. Offered to pay me to do it. I refused." He said quietly, floating backwards to his construct. "This is just so I can help out a friend of Betty's. The only thing I want out of this trip is to see Nanscy again, even if for a moment... just so I know she's okay. And even then, helping you get wherever you're going comes first."

Titania cleared her throat. "Shouldn't we try to get along with one another..?" She asked, her eyes flicking between the two of them.

Sylvie sighed heavily, "Very well. But you should trust my judgement first and foremost, alright?"

Tack nodded and sat on his Construct, his eyes more tired than before.

Titania shared a somewhat worried look with Kva, her eyes flicking over to Sylvie and Tack.

Kva just shook her head, "This is going swimmingly..."

"Well... at least we have each other. I think we can compensate if things go badly." Titania said, trying to infect Kva with her positivity as she wrapped her arms around her lover's waist.

"I'm glad you're here honestly. Even if someone might not be..." Kva looked over at Jay.

"He's been distant with me... or when I can talk with him, it's his cold and methodical tone, not the friendly one that he uses." Titania murmured unhappily, her grip tightening slightly.

Sancros, however, had closed his eyes, orbs floating over his head in a rhythmic pattern. He took a step forward and kissed Sylvie's cheek. "Shall we go?"

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.2

Sylvie nodded, continuing on to the Fairy Village as more spider webs appeared. The Huntress knelt down, pressing a finger into it, getting it stuck on her finger and she lifted it up to examine it. "This is... Very strange..."

"Should we get ready for a fight?" Titania asked, placing a hand on her hilt.

"I don't know..." Syl said, suddenly turning around as her sixth sense pointed towards something watching her from behind.

Behind them was a massive spider, almost the size of a Train Car, so heavy it was pulling down the thick branches of one of the large trees. It's body was pitch black... Golden, elegant stripes ran up it's legs, forming a jagged, dangerous symbol on it's back.

"Well... Hello." It spoke in a mocking, feminine tone. "You are being so loud it would be hard not to find you all."

"Hello. Have you seen Mother Slime recently and if so, how have they been doing recently?" Tack asked, a friendly smile on his face.

Titania gave him a frown. "Not the time, Tack."

Sancros merely smiled, his grin somewhat predatory.

"Oh... Friends with the Mother? And she didn't absorb you?" She asked cynically, Sylvie giving Tack a raised eyebrow at the same time. "She is existing, like she always has..."

"Who are you?" The Huntress asked with a dominant tone.

"I am Masha. Queen of the Spiders." She rappelled down a few feet. "And you all were about to walk into our new territory."

"Umm... isn't there a group of faeries living there, though?" Titania questioned, her arms blurring somewhat.

"Expanding your territory, Masha?" Jay asked, raising an eyebrow.

"There aren't nearly as many what with the recent string of... Unfortunate incidents. So the camp got smaller. We simply took what they couldn't use anymore." The Spider explained, her voice hissing slightly at points.

"Alright. So they get weaker and you take what they have by force. Gotcha. So are we allowed to pass?" Sancros asked without emotion, his staff emitting a dim glow.

Suddenly another voice walked forward sighing, the figure of the Fairy Queen Áine flanked by two guards appeared. She held up a hand, "Are you all looking for us?"

"Heya. Yeah, we were looking for you, but we stopped to talk with Masha." Tack replied, offering a shrug.

Sylvie looked between them, "What's going on?"

Áine sighed, "Well... After the significant loss of life during the Old One attack then then Demon Attack... We formed an alliance with the Spider Queen for..."

She suddenly sighed hard. "Protection... It was the Goddess's Idea... For the record, not mine..."

"Maybe I can talk to her for you, see if I can get a better deal for you." Titania offered, an easygoing smile on her face. "Maybe I could get my House to help you out."

Aifé just shook her head quickly. "No. No that's worse. I would much rather accept help from her than from the Humans."

Titania removed her helmet and her ears twitched. "You wouldn't exactly be getting help from a Human House, and many of the warriors wouldn't be Human at all." Titania tried again, taking a moment to examine her helmet for any damage.

The Spider crawled up next to Titania, still taller than her on all eights. "She means she doesn't want help from anyone. You know Fairies."

"I'm... Sorry this had to happen." The Human Girl said sympathetically but Áine just shook her head.

"Whatever. This is what Ahusirra wanted, despite my protests..."

"Well... despite that, I'd be honored if she decided she needed my help with anything at all. It's harder to have friends as a Noble than as any other generalized identifier." Titania replied, her eyes becoming a bit more sharp as her voice let out it's normal accent. "Regardless, Sylvie wanted to speak with you."

Áine looked over, "Yeah, I got that impression."

"We need your help to guide us through the forest." Sylvie asked her politely.

Masha chuckled, "I could help you. I know the deep forest too. Even better than her."

The Fairy looked over, then back at the group. "Don't tell me you would really rather trust a giant Spider... The answer seems pretty obvious here."

Tack frowned, but didn't utter a word. Sancros on the other hand, shrugged. "You both are good candidates, and you are royalty. Wouldn't the possibility of danger dissuade you from wanting to join this fellowship of various people?"

"We're bored." Masha and Áine said in tandem, giving each other a look.

"Besides, I can out magic anything in here." Áine looked back.

"And I can outsmart them. I know all the tricks." Masha whispered to them.

"Any other notable traits I should be aware of?" Sancros asked, his voice and posture a dominant yet gentle one reminiscent of his boss at Havenbrook. "This is hard, as you are both great guides, and every bonus over the other influences my choice... I also doubt you'd both come along with one another."

Titania had already wandered over and began gently petting the Queen of the spiders' back, seemingly out of boredom herself.

Masha shuddered a little, confused as to how to feel about the petting. "I can climb trees to get a higher Vantage Point, bind up any monsters we encounter, I could even leave a trail of web behind us for easy backtracking. Not to mention the... Obvious size difference."

Áine blinked annoyedly, "Fuck you. First of all, I can fly, I am naturally in touch with the magical energy of the forest, as such I can find the right direction any time, I'm also... The One she actually wants you to take, isn't that right?"

Áine looked over at Jay slyly, drawing Sylvie's attention too, "What does that mean?"

"Well, if you get overconfident like that, I might take Mash-" Jay started as he looked at the Spider Queen, noticing what Titania was doing. "Uh... erm... h-hence the Netzi who's been silent. I am a stubborn bastard after all... and either way, whoever is the guide, the other will be given something to do as well."

Tack sighed, floating down to open a compartment of Rocky to retrieve a sealed container. Opening it, he began to eat what looked like popcorn.

Sylvie looked between them, she sighed, "Very Well. If you would prefer Masha then I will support you."

Áine gave a long, frustrated sigh, "You're just doing this to spite me, aren't you Elf?"

"Maybe if you Fairies we're more amicable." Mashe laughed.

"Says the giant spider. Very Trustworthy. When I find your dessicated corpses in the woods in a few days, drained of all your fluids, I will play a song on the world's smallest violin for the idiots who decided that a giant spider was more trustworthy than someone who has already helped you." Áine ranted, her gaze raking across the entire group.

Sancros rolled his eyes. "Listen... I have not agreed to either one of you over the other, and doing what you're doing doesn't make me want to choose you. The whole thing about being nobility is knowing decorum and when to choose your battles. So... breathe, take a moment to gather yourself." Sancros said, his voice softening somewhat.

"Wow... tha-" Tack was knocked over with invisible force, the most likely culprit still petting Mashe.

"I don't know if you've ever met a Fairy before, but we aren't exactly known for our decorum." The Bright Red-Headed Fairy crossed her arms.

"I have, and regardless, it is needed for diplomacy. Former slaves and current nobility are ludicrously hard to sit in a room together, let alone socialize, and that's before we even factor in you being a fairy and my race as a Light Elf... yet here we are. Ask her-" Sancros started, nodding his head over at Titania, "if I was as amicable to her as I am with you. I think you may reconsider your approach."

Titania stopped petting Mashe, and frowned. "He hid behind a false smile and I got the impression that he would've liked to kill me if I did not hold his contract... but at the time, he was incredibly lonely."

"Yeah, whatever. We don't exactly like people. The Other Outsiders here before you tried to cage one of my people and sell them. We don't exactly have many rights in your lands, except for maybe Themosa, but that is still pretty shaky." Áine smiled at them. "But you all, I do trust. And know I don't say that to everyone. You would be the first Outsiders, actually."

Titania smiled back, as she replied softly, "I'll try to make it so you're accepted everywhere, or at least, in Bevland. I swear on my creed I'll change this world."

"Anyways," Jay said with an annoyed look at Titania, "we're honored to be considered as such. And I think I may have come to a decision on who to bring as a guide..."

"Well Jay. Whatever you decide." Sylvie put a supportive hand on his shoulder.

"Áine, sheerly because of previous association." Sancros said quietly, his eyes settling on Mashe. "You, I have plans for... and a journey to be taken on your own."

If the Spider could, by her tone of voice, you think she would be rolling her eyes. "You Monkies are boring..."

Sancros' magic flared up for a brief moment, revealing how strong he truly was. Taking a step forward, he whispered to her. "Find the Forest Guardian by the name of Nanscy. Convince her to come with you to the cave we're heading to. And if you find her early, you can test how fast I react and vice versa."

"I know the girl." The Spider almost laughed under her voice, looking at the Netzi. "Does that mean you're... Tack?"

The Netzi nodded, his construct cuddling into the spider queen. "I am. And I have a fair understanding of what'll happen soon."

"I'll do it." They could hear the grin in her voice. "This will be worth it. I can't wait to see your face..."

"Well, isn't that ominous... but thank you." He grumbled, as Rocky seemed to fall asleep on the Queen Spider.

"Have fun all of you..." She replied with a singsongy voice, rappelling up.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.3

As soon as she was out of sight, Áine sighed. "I hate her. A Month ago she'd be trying to eat us... In fact I'm pretty sure she has eaten some of us..."

Titania frowned, offering a sigh as well. "Well... Havenbrook is allied with you, not her. And even if that changed, I'll still help you out when I can." She reassured, looking over at Tack. "How does she know you?"

"She doesn't... rather it's more rumor and hearsay when I first showed up here." Tack answered vaguely.

"You must've made a lot of drama." Kva finally chimed in, having been a pure observer for some time.

"Enough to be an exile of the forest, but that is not important. What is important is where you all need to go." He said, floating onto his Construct.

"Exiled?" Sylvie's suspicious look grew even more.

Áine gave Tack a sort of impressed look, "And you came back? You've got a pretty good pair of balls on you Squirrel."

"A year's time of no combat, of planting and caring for nature in all forms, ought to count for something. As for coming back... I owe someone my life, and as such, the least I can do is say hi and give her a hug if she'll let me." He replied, offering a shrug. "Besides, wouldn't you risk everything for a close friend?"

"Depends on the friend." Áine floated off, motioning for them to follow. "And you must be very close."

"I hope so... I kept her letter she wrote for me. I only hope she doesn't hate me for how long it took for me to 'grow some balls' and come back for her..." Tack murmured as he followed.

Sancros' magical aura seemed to expand, acting as a warning system to any would-be enemies. His staff floated around him, ready to block any attack.

After thirty minutes or so, Tack came to a familiar split in the path, a very familiar one... Three paths dissecting off from the main, one leading towards a pink lake, another with Mirrors, but this time the webs were cleared and the path was empty.

"Hey... see that pink 'lake'? That's the Mother Slime. They're very nice, but, uh, watch out for them wanting to absorb you. They kinda try to seduce you into doing so..." Tack spoke up, a nostalgic smile on his face. "I haven't had the chance to head towards the mirrors, but I feel like they're more dangerous than the spiders or Mother Slime."

"How well do you know this 'Mother Slime'?" Titania asked, frowning.

"Decently well. They're ancient and have a ridiculous member count. Also slew of ancient knowledge, yada yada yada, but again, very eager to make new members. She's polite enough to not do it on sight."

Concentrating, Áine looks around, "Let's see... The Mirror path is faster, the Lake, we'll have to go across or around it, but it won't take as much time as the third path, that would go all the way around on the other side of the lake.

"I vote mirror." Titania said quietly, wrapping her arms around Kva once more.

"I say we head towards Mother Slime. She's pretty amiable to people." Tack piped in.

"It's up to Syl. This is her journey, not yours." Sancros growled, looking between them all before placing a hand on Sylvie's shoulder. His gaze softened, as he gently asked, "Where do we go?"

"Well... We can try to Mirror path, if we see something we don't like... We'll head back..." Sylvie smiled at him, looking off down the path. As they looked down, there were all kinds of mirrors, hand mirrors, full person sized mirrors, and even just jagged shards of mirror glass.

"Let's go see what this is... After this, assuming all goes well, is the start of the deepest part of the woods." Áine nodded, floating forward a little.

Titania slowly let go of Kva, her ears twitching. She rested a gentle hand on her hilt as she took a few tentative steps down the path.

"This'll be interesting..." He grumbled. Launching an arrow with a note attached it hit a patch of ground close to the massive slime before his Construct followed suit.

Áine looked back as she walked through the forest, looking back. "Okay. So. I wasn't being entirely honest with you. I know a little, just rumor honestly. Apparently a little girl named Alice lives here, and whatever you do... You cannot show any emotion, understand? If you do... Well, let's just say only those who haven't have come ever back..."

"That's easy for me. Titania, put your helmet on and refrain from any emotion... better yet, Kva, mind draining her slightly? She'd be under your spell, and would more than likely be fine as a result, creating a greater chance she'd pass unscathed." Sancros suggested, his face becoming cold and apathetic.

"Why would that...?" Titania started, confused.

"I could... Theoretically... But I won't unless she says it's okay..." Kva glanced over, "Then there's the question of Sylvie, should I drain her too?"

"Normally, I'd say no... but this is something I haven't planned for... so, it's up to her." Sancros said, his voice a bit hesitant.

"I could make it through without emotion... so it's up to you, honey. I'm fine either way." Titania said quietly, rubbing Kva's hand.

However, Sylvie kinda winced. "Yeah... I'm not exactly comfortable... And what about you Jay? You're not exactly the most... emotionally stable person?"

"All I have to do is remember my time as a slave and I can get through this." He said emotionlessly, turning his near-vacant gaze towards her.

She seemed worried, but Áine stepped in front of him, putting her arms on her hips and leaning in. "Anger and Spite are emotions too."

"You assume my masters didn't beat me my emotions out of me? You must have a weird world view of slavery." Sancros said leaning in, his voice and face a mask of neutrality. "I don't have to emote or change my tone to get a message across... or to exist. Forty years of slavery can take all emotions away..."

Áine kinda looked off then back towards the others, "Well have you decided?"

Kva just looked down at Titania, rubbing the Wolf's Cheek gently with her thumb. "Are you sure?"

"I'll be fine. It's not the first time we've done this, you know. Just... make sure to stop me before I do anything embarrassing..." Titania murmured, looking into Kva's eyes.

Kva nodded, lifting off her helmet and sinking her teeth into Titania's neck, draining some blood. The Thrope felt as she had before, lulled into a pleasant trance-like state. "How do you feel?"

"Good, Mistress." Titania said happily, standing perfectly still.

"A vampire, huh? I haven't seen one before." Tack commented, as he took out a small vial.

"Tell someone and you'll regret it." Kva shot a look at him.

"Vampires... A seclusive race of people, shunned by society, forced to live among their own kind. Sounds familiar." The Fairy smiled.

"Hey, I never said it was a bad thing... besides, in a moment I'm going to be laying defenseless on top of my Construct, unable to move a muscle. I'm not entirely an asshole... why do you all keep assuming I'm trouble when I'm not?" He grumbled, taking a syringe out.

Sylvie raised her eyebrow, "You're knocking yourself out?"

"Paralyzing myself. I'm not going to fully be paralyzed either... I'll still be able to use Rocky, just don't count on my archery skills." Tack put the syringe in the vial, drawing it out before he injected it into his arm. He took the syringe out and placed it in his pack, going limp only a few moments later.

"Alright... Now that you're done preparing." The Fairy turned around, floating towards the path.

The Construct and Sancros proceeded ahead while Titania waited for Kva to move, unwilling to let her Mistress out of her sight.

Kva sighed, holding her arm as they entered. The further they got, the more mirrors they saw, some were now much more ornate and hanging from trees, their reflections of the group subtly unnerving as they continued. The forest darkened, a thin fog creeping around their feet as they a suddenly spied the image of a little girl with black hair. The girl sat at a table set for others and you quickly notice other bodies filled the seats, not moving, almost desiccated as the girl poured tea for them regardless.

She sang a little tune as she poured, the song sending a shiver up everyone's bones.

"Hello. I take it that you're Alice?" Sancros asked, taking a couple steps towards her.

She kept her singing and pouring, ignoring them, as the forest almost seemed to pull them closer... No... They were closer... At least Ten feet now.

"Are you Alice, keeper of this part of the Forest?" Sancros repeated, his eyes somewhat dulled.

She stopped suddenly, slowly and shakingly putting down her pot of tea... The air felt still and full of dread, the ambiance of the forest entirely gone, replaced with a faint child song as- Whoosh! They were suddenly pulled in close to the girl, the child looking up at Jay and revealing she had no face at all, just a gem encrusted hand mirrors pressed into her skull where her face should've been.

"Are you Alice? He questioned slowly, seemingly unfazed. His staff floated to him as he reached up to grab it.

The Mirror shifted and rippled like a pond as a mysterious, hollow voice spoke out. "Who are you? Are you one of my guests? I'm afraid the Queens have been very quiet lately..."

Suddenly, one of the regal looking figures, the one in red, it's head cracked over to face him, it's visage also that of a mirror.

"I am a slave. I am negotiating passageway to the deeper parts of the forest." Sancros said quietly, turning to look at the figure before returning his gaze to her.

"A slave? A slave to whom? Do you mean the Queen? I don't know if she keeps slaves? Or are you the Mad Hatter, a slave to your Madness?" She circled around him slowly, occasionally glancing at the others who were being very stoic and emotionless.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.4

"A slave to a city of Helvan and currently a woman named Titania." He answered, cracking his neck without emotion. "We need passage to the deeper woods."

Kva looked over at Jay when he said that, but remained resolute.

The 'girl' looked over at Titania, "Who are your friends would you like some tea...?"

Before Titania could speak, Sancros spoke again. "I was told to handle all communication done with any forest guardian. Any questions directed to them can and will be answered by me. I apologize if this inconveniences you in any way."

"Are you the king then?" She asked as a purple striped cat suddenly fell from a nearby tree.

A haunting laugh echoed from it as it looked at him with it's own mirror face. "The King of Slaves, is it? An Oxymoron if I have ever heard one..."

"So is a young girl with an ageless face." He said quietly, his face still emotionless, his thoughts not. "I assume you trap people in these mirror bodies and keep them until they expire. May we be allowed passage to the deeper part of the forest?"

"Perhaps... What can you offer us in return?" The Cat mewled evilly.

"Yes. What will you give us...?" Alice asked, Jay's reflection in the mirror of her face having a sinister quality.

"What would interest you, is the real question here. We won't leave a single person behind, and some of us need our emotions. So, besides that... what else do you want?" Sancros asked, his orbs going down to his sides.

"Need your... You think we want your emotions?" The little girl asked, "We only want you for our tea party."

"Do not worry, Alice. They do not understand... We only want you... To see something..." The Feline laughed.

"And how long will this tea party last? And will we be allowed to leave at any point?" He asked in return, cracking his neck with a sickening crunch, his face still emotionless.

"You're no fun." The Faceless Girl sighed loudly. "You can... Please, all of you, sit down."

Tack's Construct laid down, unable to take a seat, while Sancros obliged her. "So... what is it you wish to show us?"

Sylvie, Kva and Titania also took their places, the girl pouring the tea as she went. However, the tea was nothing but old, swampy water' covered in a thin layer of Moss.

The Cat paced around, looking at all of them before smiling... Suddenly... Something shook the ground, and another... And another, all getting closer…

"Expecting company, Alice?" Sancros' tea swirled by itself, his staff glowing a dull blue.

Suddenly, the stomping stopped as Jay saw the others looking emotionlessly at some behind him, a bead of sweat rolling down Sylvie's face. A long decked creature leaned over him, looking back with it's own mirror face, it had green scales and strange purplish fur poking out of some points. It's neck was far, far too long, but it looked like a wyvern, just not like one he had ever seen or heard about before.

Alice petted it as the cat spoke, "Meet the Jabberwocky, the oldest of the creatures here, it was the first to gaze through the looking glass."

Sancros merely cracked a finger. "And I presume this was what you wanted to show us?"

"No... Gaze within..." The Cat Paced.

Sylvie had a worried expression, "Jay... I don't-"

The Dragon quickly crawled along the table over to her, knocking things over, almost sensing her moment of emotion; but as it found her face, it was stone once again.

Sancros offered a cough, hiding his thoughts and feelings behind it before looking at the Cat, then at the Jabberwocky. "For science and Sylvie, I suppose..." He said, his eyes gazing at the dragon as hundreds of orbs surrounding the tea party of water and light.

Jay felt himself being pulled, his consciousness ripped from his body and brought into this mirror...

All at once it coalesced and the Elf found himself in the middle of a field, or more accurately, a wasteland...

Burning ground and trees as the very spot where he had been standing was reduced to an unusable state by massive, tree cutting machines. The horizon yawned with the silhouettes of herculean factories spewing death into the air, choking all life. He watched as lines of Men, Women, and Animals were chained and led away to some unknown, unknowable fate...

Then he returned to his body all at once.

Sancros nearly broke his mask, his face twitching. "Was that a vision of these future? Or a possibility of what could be?"

His hands twitched as well, his orbs following suit.

"Yes." Alice nodded, "The Looking Glass is a place beyond the effect of time and reality, but know, these are only visions of things that may be... It is up to all that we do not allow this to happen to our world..."

"Then I shall do my utmost to ensure that it doesn't come to past." He said, tightening his hands into fists. "Now... two things... first, the way to get into the deeper part of the forest and, two, what happens to those who show emotion in your presence?"

"They enter the Looking Glass, and join us forever, in a Paradise of wonder and amazement..." The Feline meowed, speaking ominously. "It is a test of will, of focus and determination... And you have passed it... But remember, Jay Sancros, true tests never end."

The tree line split apart, revealing a path leading away from the strange creatures as Alice waved. "It was nice to meet you, Mr. Jay... I hope you come back."

"I'll be happy to. Thank you for having us, Miss Alice." Sancros replied, the magic he summoned earlier dissipating. He motioned for everyone to follow, a magical hand pushing Kva closer to him. He tilted his head towards her, his voice quiet enough for the two of them to have a private conversation. "I take it you're not happy with how I handled that?"

"We're not dead, are we?" Kva glanced over, stepping out of the forest.

"No, but you didn't seem to like me dropping Titania's name. Just wanted to make sure you're not plotting my death or something similar." He replied, shrugging. "You do have a bad habit of trying to obliterate anyone who hurts or puts her in danger."

"Not trying, succeeding. And I'm always planning deaths, I put together the best funerals." Kva said deadpan, before suddenly chuckling.

Sancros rolled his eyes. "I... why such a bad joke?" He playfully groaned, putting a hand to his head.

"Because I know it bothers you." She smirked under her mask, looking down at Titania. "How are you doing, my love?"

"Good, Mistress." Titania replied without hesitation, her mind still under Kva's thrall.

The Dhampir wrapped her arm around Titania lovingly as they continued, finding themselves at another small lake. Looking across it they saw what looked like an island with a crumbling ruined stone structure in the middle.

Sylvie and Áine made thier was over to Jay, the Huntress speaking up. "So, what do you think this is?"

"This is the Isle of Skye I imagine." Áine added.

"Skye? Like... Ahusirra's Skye? It's named after her?"

Áine shrugged at Sylvie, "Who knows? Maybe she's named after it."

Sancros thought for a moment before tossing a few stones into the water, testing for any dangerous side effects. "I can carry everyone over to this 'isle'. Just let me know if you want me to, or, if you two think it's better, I can move the lake aside so we can cross."

As the stones skipped, nothing dangerous seemed to happen. Sylvie gave him a worried look, "Are you sure you can handle that?"

"If I didn't have my staff, you'd be right to worry. But I do have it and it'll take most of the edge of conjuring any water magic I use. I'll be fine." Edan replied softly, gently grabbing Sylvie so he could kiss her.

"Then let's see what's on the island..." Syl pulled back, smiling at him.

A giant pool of water formed at everyone's feet and lifted effectively lifting them all off the ground as Sancros focused, hi eyes closing as he conjured. They were gently set on the ground, Titania and Kva received a less than graceful landing, plopping down rather than stepping off. Sancros himself smiled, as the intense glow his staff had emitted lightened up.

Kva sighed at Jay, shooting him a look as they reacted the base of what on closer Inspection seemed to be the destroyed first floor of a castle of some kind, roots and plants finding their way into the cracks and crevices.

"Interesting..." Sancros murmured as he knelt down to touch the dilapidated structure.

As he did, he could see what looked be a part of the wall where the stone was flat, it was covered with ivy, but there was clearly something carved under it.

"Hey, Sylvie... think you can make the plant creep back so I can see what this looks like?" He asked, looking back at her.

"Sure..." Sylvie placed her hands on the wall, commanding the Ivy to pull away. As they did, it revealed a long, beautifully carved sculpture of a Goddess and small child holding her hand.

Kva knelt down beside Jay, looking it over. "That big one... That looks like Mevah, the God of Life."

"Then who is the child?" Sancros started, as some suspicions popped into his head, his eyes narrowing.

Tack slowly sat up, half of his body still affected the paralysis. Rocky slowly walked forward so Tack could see it for himself.

"Not sure. Mevah has... A lot of children..." Kva pointed out. "Could be The God of Harvest, could even be Tecunte."

"Tecunte is the daughter of Mevah?" Sylvie seemed surprised.

"And the God of Death." Kva noted, "My God."

"Regardless, why would this relic of the past be placed here if it was connected to other... gods..." He started, almost grimacing at what he had to say. "It's either Skye is a child of Mevah... or... well, we do know one other person who could fit the description..."

Sylvie looked off. "But then why would be like this? Disheveled, overgrown?"

"If you had a past that you wished not to speak of... it's easier to let it be a faded memory rather than cherished anguish." Sancros said quietly, his own past giving him a more grim tone to his voice.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.5

"If that's true... Maybe you and her aren't so different Jay..." Kva stood up slowly.

"Judging by the picture, I don't think that's true... this suggests abandonment while mine was punishment. Two different paths, with some similar pain." Sancros countered, sitting down to think deeply on the matter at hand.

As they entered the ruin, there seemed to be a few more carvings along the outside, some more covered by vines than others. The next one seemed to be the little girl, now older, without her Mother and with a head turned towards what looked to be a crude rendition of a human man.

"Hmmm..." Sancros murmured as his thoughts flicked back to the moment he was carrying the Goddess in disguise.

The next relief depicted a swaddled child between them, with what seemed to be ominous hooded figures hidden behind them.

"Okay... not where I was expecting this story to go..." Jay murmured to himself, a light orb appearing next to the relief he was looking at.

However, the place where the next relief would have been was destroyed, huge claw marks in the stone. As Jay looked around for anything, he could see the pointed edge of a large shard of the relief covered in dirt and other rubble.

His water magic cleaned the relief of the things obscuring it, depositing it in his hands so he could see what part of the last puzzle looked like.

The only piece of the relief left intact showed the Human Man from before and what looked to be knives in his body, blood pouring from his wounds; as well as the very bottom of a robe from something standing above him.

"Oh... her lover? Someone who betrayed her perhaps? So many questions, but none of the answers..." Edan looked up, his mind lost in thought.

And on the biggest wall of the ruin, was a much larger carving of what looked to be a massive fiery dragon, standing above the bodies of the robed figures from before, roaring powerfully above their broken bodies.

"Metaphorical or literal representation...? Previous encounter is more likely, but who drew the relief...? This is more man-made though... honorary Mortal?" He pondered, his staff flying into his palm.

Sylvie walked up, "Don't know... I've never seen this place before."

Áine shrugged, "Far as I know this place has just always been here."

"So only the oldest creatures here should know what this place actually is and what these reliefs are saying." He grumbled, his eyes scanning around. He thought about protection in terms of it being a trial and placed a couple dozen water orbs around the Isle.

Except everything was silence, nothing was moving or disturbing this place, not even the sounds of birds or crickets were heard, a solemn lack of sound.

The orbs stayed up and he turned to the rest of the group. "It seems we either figure out what happened or we keep going. So... what are your choices?"

Tack tried to speak but a garbled answer by an uncooperative mouth rendered it useless. Rocky scratched out 'go' into the ground, Tack collapsing back onto his Construct.

"Yeah... Let's keep going across the lake..." Áine agreed.

He nodded, looking at Sylvie and Kva. "What do you guys think?"

"If that's the way Áine wants to go." Sylvie looked over to the paralyzed Tack, "You're a very helpful guide, you know."

Rocky grumbled in place of Tack, the sound being a lot like two pieces of metal being grinded together.

Sancros frowned and proceeded to smack Tack's head. "Be nice to her." He said quietly before walking over to Sylvie flicking her forehead. "And you be nice and stop trying to provoke him, Syl. Or I'll reveal something that embarrasses you to no end." He smirked, before kissing her cheek.

"I can promise you that nothing you say will embarrass me." She folded her arms, inviting a challenge.

"Are you sure about that? My whole special thing is I have a network of contacts nearly everywhere. So if anyone knows an embarrassing moment in your life, I know too. Ask Kva if you don't believe me." He said his smirk turning into a malicious smile.

"Says the Man that snuggles up next to me every night like I'm a Stuffed Animal." Sylvie counter teased.

"You did threaten me for a few months for -cough- various things... I don't believe I was allowed to do anything else." Jay returned fire, a real laugh escaping his lips.

"That's true Jay, although I was worried about hurting your bone." Syl moved her eyebrows up and down.

"What happened the last time... right, I laid you out and still could go for a few more rounds. I also believe you gave me a title... for the life of me, I can't remember what it was... mind refreshing me, Syl?" Edan shot back playfully, a flower bouquet of light floating over to her.

"I think it was something about masculinity..." The Huntress tapped her chin.

"That probably wasn't it. This is Jay we're talking about." Kva snarked, making her way out of the ruins.

A ball of water fell over her, dampening her clothes. "You sure about that? Could make a 'wet' joke right now... but that's too easy. All I need to mention is the fact of how often I clean up your rooms after your 'sessions'. Speaking of..." a bag floated out of his pack and over to Kva. "I got you some of your playthings... hope you enjoy." He said with a smirk, a confident look on his face.

"You're choosing now to give this to me?" Kva questioned.

"Why not? I'm going into a cave that... well, I already had a talk with someone about. I don't like my chances going in, and I made a promise." He shrugged, his eyes peering into hers. "Wouldn't want to leave anything unresolved... even a trivial favor for someone who did something sweet for me. I do appreciate that, by the way."

"You're not going to die." Kva assured him, looking to make sure the others couldn't hear. "And if it does come to that, stay behind me..."

"We both know that if it comes to it, I won't run. And with my staff, and my leg being healed, I might surprise you with how much power I possess." Sancros said his voice quieter, his eyes flicking over to his lover and Titania. "But... these are trials for Sylvie, and Ahusirra already told me that every one of our companions cannot enter the cave with us. So... death may happen. Just not to Sylvie, because I'd go crazy if... if..." He took a breath, and calmed himself down. "So... don't be too surprised if I don't come back out."

"It's..."

"Well... Well..." A unfamiliar voice beckoned from the entrance, a tall, glowing green knight that Tack was familiar with stood there: The Flower Knight. "I sensed you all here..."

"Heya, Knight." Tack said, his words still somewhat slurred. "Are you the next challenge or are guiding us?"

Sancros' aura flared up as he asked in a calm, but ultimately cold tone, "Who are you?"

The Knight pointed at Tack, "He knows me well. I am known as the Flower Knight, the Goddess' most faithful guardian and defender of this isle..."

"And what do you want? To fight? To test us?" Sylvie stepped up.

"Yes. I will engage each one if you in single combat one at a time. Win, and you move on... If all of you Lose..."

"We die." Kva finished for him, cracking her neck.

"Which of you would have the honor of facing me first?" He pointed to a small open area on the opposite side of the small island.

Sancros stepped forward. "I will be trying to kill you. I expect no quarter and I won't give any in return." He said quietly, his staff floating into his hand.

"Jay!" Sylvie rushed up. "Are you sure you want to go first!?"

"I am. Besides... I need to exert my magic a bit more." The Light Elf replied, two watery points dormed on either end of his staff formed, transforming it into a spear.

"Use my battle, despite what happens, as a way to understand how he fights..." He whispered hugging her with his free hand. "I love you, Syl."

Sylvie lowered her head as the Knight moved forward, "You will be my opponent? Very well, follow me."

"Who were you before this mantle as 'flower knight'?" Sancros asked, walking with said knight.

"I was no one. Nothing without Ahusirra." He explained, the others walking behind him.

"In other words, you love her enough that your past no longer matters. Now... if we beat you, how far away will our goal be?" He questioned, giving his staff a few practice swings, the magical artifact going over and around his back, then waist in a graceful pattern.

"The Cave you're looking for is just past this island. I am your last challenge. You've done well making your way this far." He congratulated them, revealing his Rapier.

Orbs of various shapes and sizes appeared behind the Light Elf as a multi-colored light orb appeared in his empty socket. "I appreciate your words, but soon we will not need them. Are you sure you want to proceed? I might kill you by accident..."

"Please. I welcome the challenge." He raised his blade into a battle stance.

"As you wish." Sancros started off by firing off several water orbs that flew with lethal intent. While this occurred, several spikes of water flew up from beneath the Knight to impale him.

His form suddenly blurred, then in almost an instant he was gone, appearing behind Jay intent on impaling him with his Seven foot Long Rapier.

His arm was pulled back by various magical orbs that had been summoned earlier as Sancros' bladed staff sliced into the Knight, the Light Elf jumping back as his staff continued striking at the armored warrior. "Tch... you are too fast for your own good." He growled, forming a defensive water and light shield around himself.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.6

As the bladed staff scraped across the armor, it left a small gash that poured out green energy. As the strikes were landing the Knight dissipated into a cloud of Fireflies, forming together quickly a few feet in front of Jay.

With a dervish like spinning motion, his Rapier trailing green behind it, the mysterious warrior popped all of Jay's water orbs in what seemed like a split second. "You rely too much on magic Young Elf..."

His staff flew into his hands and Sancros sliced his now bladed staff, slicing into the chest plate of the Knights as more magic attempted to strike him down. "Light Elf, and I'm just as dangerous as my magic." Edan replied quietly, his eyes scanning his opponent for any discernible weaknesses.

Currently, the only thing that came to him was the space between his plates of armor that glowed a faint, eerie green.

As the magic struck him, he suddenly become see through, incorporeal, the attack passing through him harmlessly.

Sancros created a third layer of shields around himself, as the magic attacks that had missed reformed on the Knight; creating a giant glob that appeared to encompass his incorporeal form. Sancros merely narrowed his eyes as he whispered, "Bang.", the gathered magic imploding with great force that was no longer just physical.

As the dust and dirt cleared in the air, standing there was still the Flower Knight, quite worse for wear, his armor scuffed and marred, some parts dented or missing entirely, revealing the glowing light underneath.

He stepped forward, clapping, "Impressive. I wanted to see the full extent of your power."

"That wasn't it, but... I think you'll find that out of my group, I'm the second weakest. One of them can keep up with your speed, if she doesn't exceed it entirely." He replied, keeping his stance relaxed but ready with his shielding up.

"Then I cannot wait to fight them..." He said, the armor seemingly starting to regrow from nothing.

"Are we done, then? You seemed quite adamant about fighting until you were defeated." He said hesitantly, his staff glowing a vibrant, pulsing blue.

"We are." He shifted forward suddenly, trailing an afterimage behind as he thrusted at Jay with unbelievable speed.

The shields offered a decent resistance, making sure the blade didn't fully go through his chest. "Bastard..." Sancros murmured softly, before sticking his hand inside one of the holes, summoning a significant amount of magic that would break his arm, if not take it off entirely if it imploded. "Fuck you." Was his only mumbled response before the magical energy quite literally blew up, sending the Light Elf flying backwards, a thick blanket of light magic covering the arm that had caused the vicious discharge of magic, masking its condition.

"Jay! No!" Sylvie rushed forward, placing her hands on him and healing him as best she could, tears running down her face. "You idiot! Why won't you stop being so suicidal!

The dust cleared once more and the Knights still stood, however his entire side where the blast had hit him was completely gone, revealing what the under. Under the armor was what looked to be a floating nervous system of green magic, pulsing and pounding up and down it, but there was no body to be seen. "She's right, you would really kill yourself to win a simple duel?"

Jay coughed and grinned. "Not readily kill myself... just damage myself enough to give someone stronger than me a better chance at being able to beat you." He countered, taking a few careful steps up, his arm noticeably mangled but his own magic was already repairing it. "Even like this..." his staff flew back into his good hand. "I'm still battle-ready. I think ripping you apart to the point of seeing your inner workings is a duel won, considering if you were mortal, you'd be dead."

Under his breath, he whispered. "Trust me... I have a plan. But you can't heal me..."

"What..." Sylvie shook her head.

The armor began to repair itself, "I still stand firm, If I were mortal this would hardly be a challenge... Now, If you wish to continue, raise your weapon."

He raised it and sighed. Several shields formed around him, as a surge in his magical power seemed to echo their area. His fingers started to peel as he lifted them up, the magic he used was one he knew he had little chance of performing. The lake around them raised up as well as Sancros' staff releasing a magical explosion into it. A dragon-like entity formed, entirely made of water and light corruption.

Its tail smashed into the knight, the force enough to send deep fissures into the ground. Sancros fell to a knee, parts of his clothes peeling now as well. The Dragon roared a disturbing cry as it surrounded itself around Sancros, not attacking again but defending.

A Green shield formed around the Knight, keeping the dragon tail at Bay as he disappeared, reappearing above Jay and driving his Rapier into the dragon and towards his body.

Suddenly, the Knight felt something peirce his chest, he look down to see Sylvie's spear sticking out from his midsection.

The Huntress huffed as the Knight looked back at her, "I thought I said one on one, those were the rules. It's only honorable to-"

"Fuck the rules and fuck your honor! You'll kill him! The only reason you're doing this is because you know you can only fight all of us alone!" The Maiden grit her teeth.

The dragon roared pitifully before disappearing, the staff floating down to his hand. Part of Sancros' face had disintegrated, leaving only some muscles and bones visible. Wrapping his scarf around his face. He tried to speak, but only garbled and incoherent sounds came out. Putting a hand to his throat, he used what remained of his magic to heal his throat. "Correct. You're indestructible, and your armor regrows. If all of us hit you with a strong attack, you'd more than likely concede." Sancros said, his voice a bit rough. He lifted to point a finger and found that his 'good' hand was missing two of his fingers.

Sylvie's heart skipped a beat, horrified at his current appearance. "Jay! Oh Ahusirra! What were you thinking!"

Even the Knight seemed visibly disturbed by his appearance, but he suddenly began clapping. "Clever. All of you. You passed the test."

"I... What?" The Huntress held her hands up to her mouth, looking over at him.

"I cannot be killed. It was up to you to figure out my trickery and abandon honor in order to stand a chance. Those who hunt together win and Honor is a tool of fools, it has no place in the mind of a true Survivalist..." The Knight explained, looking Jay over. "You however, Failed. Almost killing yourself just to slow me down... Sacrifice is admirable, but not when it's needless."

He merely rolled his eye. "I disabled my pain receptors, and used only enough magic to see if it was possible to kill you. You didn't die, and so I assumed immortality. That and your armor regeneration gave part of it away. However... Titania is honorable and would wait if I told her, Kva would wait to see what crazy plan I had, and Tack is a stranger." He listed off, flicking his finger out to count. "Sylvie loves me and would stop my death if she could. I just... needed to get hurt enough for it to work. Besides, I spread some of the damage to non-vital spots of my body so I wouldn't die from using my magic."

He walked back, cracking his neck before unveiling his face again. "I'm not the strongest, but I am the most crafty. I already said I wouldn't beat you; I just needed to find the weakness or flaw you had and your invulnerability served as a nice one. Now that I am done..." he pulled out a ration bar and broke part of it up. "I'm going to eat and relax... before I go into the cave.”

"You have a long way to go Elf. Not just as a hunter..." He looked over at Sylvie before his body uncurled into vines and snaked into the ground, his voice still in the air. "But as a Husband and Father."

"If only you could see how scarred my soul is... you'd understand I'm trying..." he murmured quietly, continuing to eat the bar. "And it's Light Elf, not Elf..."

He finished eating and sighed. Putting his scarf over his face, he tilted his head to the side. "Everyone ready to go? I hope so, because then most of you can actually rest. However, if you wish to critique me for what I just did, you can do that as well."

When he tilted his head, Sylvie was standing there with tears in her eyes. "Edan! Dammit! How could you do something like that to yourself again!? To me!? Why are you always trying to kill yourself... You can't keep doing this to me... Why do you have to be so damn selfish... Why won't you think of Me and Jasmine!? Why!? Why won't you stop tearing my heart out like this..."

He paused, some surprise in his eyes. He took a moment before calmly replying, "I'm not trying to kill myself. I knew what I was doing was dangerous, but I minimized damage and risk. It's because I am doing my best to minimize damage that shows I'm thinking of you. If I didn't, would I have struggled to make the recovery or healed myself the first time?"

He tiredly rubbed his empty chasm of an eye, before continuing. "I am trying. I am listening. I wake up every morning hoping to make the two of you happy, and I go to bed planning for the next day." He took a step towards her. "I train the next generation of this world’s defenders, and I will one day train Jasmine." Another step. "I manage a network of informants who help me protect my family from dangers." He stood in front of her, his tired eyes staring into hers. "I am broken and beyond salvaging, but I still make the effort... the effort to live, to continue. And I only do it for you."

With that, he turned and began walking towards the water, hiding a single tear from them all, over using his mana to send it flying off.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.7

"Jay come back here! Don't walk away from me!" Sylvie yelled furiously, clenching her fists.

He entered the water, as he swam for shore, his one mangled arm drifting loosely. He did not swim fast or well, just enough to keep from drowning.

Tack looked at Sancros before sighing. "He'll learn eventually." He murmured, rubbing his head.

"Áine... Where is the cave? Lead me to it..." Sylvie looked down.

"Uh... It's... Vaguely that direction... The one he's going..." The Princess let out awkward cough.

"Take me towards it but around him..." She looked back, her eyes full of sadness and frustration.

"Alright..." Áine nodded.

Sylvie looked back towards the others, "Follow me or him, I don't care...". Then she began walking off.

Kva looked over the group, then doesn't at Titania, who she knew would be coming out of her trance any moment.

Titania blinked her eyes and shook her head, trying to collect herself. She grabbed Kva's hand and sighed. “I'll go with Sylvie and you should get Jay. Tack go with Jay, cause you and Sylvie aren't on good terms."

"See you on the other side..." The Netzi murmured, his Construct bounding towards the Light Elven man, as Titania headed for Sylvie.

Sylvie quickly made a bridge of roots that stretched across the river, making her way across. Kva looked over, "I'll go with Titania..."

"No, babe... I need you to get him to think clearly and less... like he is now. I'll do the same with Sylvie, or try to. But I... just don't want them to become cold or apathetic to one another..." Titania said, using her speed to gently climb and remove Kva's mask for a second to kiss her. After the second had passed, the Dhampire's helmet was back on, as if it hadn't left.

"Alright... Be careful..." Kva hugged her before going on their way.

After a little while, Jay's group had come together, Jay, Kva, and Tack, all walking without a guide. The Dhampir walked up next to him, "Do you even know where you are going Jay? We left our guide behind."

"Of course. I did put magical trackers on everyone. Only one who it would've been hard to do was you and Titania. Your combined perception is a menace sometimes..." Sancros cracked his remaining fingers on his good hand. "Besides, I can guesstimate where we'll be going based on the layout of the guardians."

"So you're winging it." Tack stated more than asked.

"Essentially, yes, yes I am." Edan answered anyways, his staff twirling above his head, his eyes becoming a bit more alert.

Suddenly, something shifted behind the trees and after a brief moment, a familiar spider scuttled forth. "Well. Thought I'd find you here. Good job with the other Guardians..."

"Thanks. Now about that cave... you mind leading us to it?" He asked, lowering his scarf to show his grisly damage.

"I thought the Beaver over there wanted me to find someone. That what I came all the way out here for..." She looked over at Tack and his construct.

"He does, and I also seem to have misplaced a fairy as a guide. Half of our group is split and now it's a race to the cave... didn't you say you were bored and wanted something to do? Here's a good opportunity for that." Sancros replied, his voice inquisitive and borderline rude.

"Where is Nanscy?" Tack asked softly, his eyes closing so he could steel himself.

Masha pushed out with one of her back legs a small chicken, parts of it covered in scales, like the neck and legs, which were unnaturally long. It had piercing yellow eyes that focused into sharper slits as it looked out over at small group in front of her. A voice echoed from it, "I'm Nanscy... What do you all want from me?"

Tack stood dumbfounded, he remained still almost as if he died. "I'm so... so very sorry." Tack said softly, his voice barely above a whisper.

"What... Tack!" A green energy flowed around her as she took on the humanoid form that Tack was familiar with; however, reptilian features still showed on many parts of her body and under her feathers, her eyes still yellow and pointed like that of a serpent. "You... You came all the way here for me?"

"I did. Sancros, the Light Elf over there, gave me an opportunity to come see you. I... uhm… had enough time to get some things for you." he tapped a part of his construct, which opened up like a drawer, displaying some pieces of jewelry and a dagger.

The entire thing was made well, a masterpiece one could say, with some jewels in the hilt but moreover, engravings into the blade that were reminiscent of Nanscy's old form. A note was tucked into the compartment as well, almost begging to be read.

She rushed up, looking it all over. "This... This is so much! But... Tack you weren't supposed to come back here, how did you get this deep in? Ahusirra made it clear what she would do if you came back..."

"I know. Still had to come see you. Maybe she won't kill me when she sees me. There is a chance, seeing as how I'm part of the group who's helping Sylvie Lau-" Tack started before Sancros interjected.

"Which is why we need to find the cave for Ahusirra's chosen and fast. We have been talking for too long."

Kva walked over to him, "Then we'll go ahead alone, this is why he came here..."

"You are helping Sylvie? Then don't let me slow you down Tack." Nanscy smiled, "And don't worry about me, I feel welcome here; Ahusirra has been very gracious... after what we did... I feel like I fit in here more than I ever did at the Academy, it's a peaceful life, simple."

"Yet... I still feel bad for putting you in such a difficult situation as last time..." Tack said, before Sancros grabbed and dragged him off n the direction of the cave.

"Masha, directions. Now please." The Light Elf said, his voice chillingly cold. "Kva, with me. And Nanscy, you are free to come with if you want to."

Nanscy blinked, "Um... Okay..."

As spider begrudgingly agreed, not appreciating being ordered around. She led the way forward and after a number of minutes of walking, they found a clearing in the trees cradling a open dark cavern.

At the same time, the other group found their way to it through the trees from the left side, Áine leading as the two teams looked at each other. Sylvie stared at him and upon seeing his bandaged wrapped appearance just looked away sadly.

Sancros looked at each member who had helped them out. "I thank each and everyone of you for helping me and Sylvie reach this place. Some of you put your lives on the line for us. Some of you are here for alternative reasons. Whatever the case, I thank you, from the bottom of my heart for lending us your aid." He addressed them all, his voice booming. "Áine, I shall craft or find you a magical item worthy of your status, and Masha, the same with you."

A drop of blood soaked the ground as he coughed, covering his damaged lower face with his scarf. He looked at his fiancé, his eye sad, tired, and worn out. "Do you want me to come with you, Sylvie?"

Sylvie stood in front of the cave, this location haunting her dreams for a month now. "Yeah... I'd like you to come Jay..."

Jay's staff floated In front of him. "I'll watch your back and protect you." He whispered, as he entered first, as for the first time, fear crept into his legs, causing them to shake slightly.

The entire cave was dark, all except for a font in the middle, set atop with a bowl, becoming to them. A light song filled the air, ethereal in quality, but they both recognized it as the song Sylvie has sung in the presence of him and Betty.

The Huntress felt something pull at her heart, almost forcing her legs to move closer as she gripped Jay's hand.

Sancros sighed, and overused his mana, some blood leaking out of his missing fingers as a light orb formed and followed them. "This is ominous..."

"Yeah..." As they walked, sets of small green lights filled the sides of the cage, just out of their vision, then, green balls formed under each set, hundreds total, almost beating.

"Jay... I love you..." Sylvie muttered to him.

"I love you too, Sylvie." He whispered, stepping in front of her as they walked to protect her.

Suddenly, from the well a orb of bright green light floated out and back into the cave, revealing a throne of vines and roots, with the Goddess Ahusirra sitting there, smiling. "Congratulations Sylvie... Jay... You have passed the trials and made your way here... You have proven yourself worthy."

"Worthy of what?" Sylvie asked, the situation still putting her on edge.

"Worthy of Knowledge, worthy of Power." Ahusirra looked at Jay, "And worthy of the Truth."

"For now... I'm going to take a seat." He said briskly, dropping to a knee. "But continue."

The orb pulled brighter, lighting up the entire room and revealing that, standing in file, almost in formation around the room, we're at least a hundred Tree Women, much like Skye, each with their own unique heads, each shaped a different animal.

But standing next to Ahusirra were two in particular, Skye, flanking her left side, and a cat headed one they had never seen before flanking her right.

"It's good to see you Sylvie, Jay..." Skye bowed lightly.

The Huntress circled around, "W-What is all this...?"

"Your destiny Sylvie." The Goddess answered, standing up. "But first... I will have you finally know the truth of my past... Everything... It is time..."

Sancros lowered his scarf and merely coughed, one of the strings of flesh keeping his jaw stable ripping in two. He merely laid down, but gestured for her to keep going as his light orb floated over and disappeared.

However, Ahusirra raised a hand up in the direction of Jay, a pulsing glow forming around him as the horrible wounds he had afflicted upon himself began to heal. Sylvie watched this happen, silently judging herself for not healing him, despite Jay's commands and running away from her.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.8

He raised a hand in return. "Stop. I am fine, just... tired." He explained his voice somewhat loud but more weary-sounding than commanding. "Besides, right now, I need to talk to my fiancé, and hope she doesn't kick my ass for being stubborn. If she's happy afterwards, I get some healing. If not, no healing." He got up with a groan, and took a step towards Sylvie, this time waiting for her to speak.

Ahusirra pulled back, allowing it as Sylvie walked over to him. "Why are you so selfish Jay? Why don't you think about my feelings when you do something like that? Or Jasmine? You didn't need to do that to yourself! And then you just walked away!"

"I..." He paused, sighing as he raised his good arm to rub his head. "I'm selfish because for the first time, someone loves me back, with no strings attached, and... cares deeply for me. I have never had that in my life and I... I want to protect it at any given opportunity. I-I..." He stopped, his face darkening somewhat. He sighed and tried to continue. "I don't take into account your feelings, because in my head, keeping you safe is better than being mostly intact. I'd rather have my limbs ripped off than see you hurt. That will probably never change, me wanting to protect you at the cost of myself. And maybe that sentiment is twisted because of what I went through, because, if I'm being honest, I don't feel any personal self-worth nor do I actually like who I am. So... instead of the near-suicidal attack on Tecunte, I listened and only allowed certain parts of my body to fade instead of putting myself in greater danger."

His staff floated over to her hand, just within her grasp. "I walked away... because even though I did something to help, you didn't like the outcome. So... I... thought you'd prefer not to see me for awhile."

"But Jay... It hurts me to see you hurt! Don't you understand that? Seeing you like you are now I... I can't take it! Besides, I'm a born hunter and survivor! I can take a hit or two, I'm not helpless!" Sylvie tried to get through to him. "You have to stop putting me through this... Or..."

"Or you'll leave me." He finished, his voice barely above a whisper. Dozens of thoughts to fix what he had done popped into his head, but he dismissed them all. "In the same line of reasoning... I am not an invalid. I can be hurt, yes, but I can take a hit, just like you. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even come close to making it here with you."

"We both have things to understand about each other... but I've said enough. It is your decision and I will stand by whatever you choose to do."

"Jay... Just please... I love you... Just stop hurting me... Stop purposefully putting yourself in harms way to protect me... Because seeing you hurt just hurts me anyway..." Sylvie lowered her head sadly. "I can't keep watching you do this to yourself..."

He shook his slowly, before sighing. "Every time I enter combat with you around, I make sure that I don't die, that I can still move around to hug or hold you. The Knight was one such thing. I didn't put myself in too much danger, because I knew you'd step in if it got too rough. It was why I asked you to not heal me, so that you would." He said quietly, shaking his head. "I will get hurt because I'm a Hunter, and so will you. I cannot promise you that I will not be injured this badly again, because I don't know what'll happen in the future."

He snapped his now less mangled arm into place, a sickening crunch echoing into the cave. "I love you, Sylvie... but if this is a deal-breaker, I... I understand."

"I know you'll get hurt stupid... I... I just don't want you to go purposefully hurt or kill yourself anymore trying to prevent me from being hurt..." The Huntress explained, placing her hands gently on his shoulders.

"I counter that with one of my own terms: If I deem an attack too dangerous, or if an enemy is stronger than you, I will intervene. I think that's somewhat fair instead of protecting you all the time." He replied, wrapping his arms around her.

"Just... Please try not to kill yourself trying to save me."

"I will try. I do love being with you and talking to you." He said softly, gently brushing her hair with his hand.

Ahusirra smiled, "I'm happy you two have worked out your issues... Sometimes I wondered if you were right for each other, but the bonds of love are strong..."

He raised an eyebrow, glancing over at her. "Considering how... standoffish you were earlier, I didn't think you approved of me. Also, your warnings were... quite unsettling..."

Sylvie looked between them. "You were... In communication? And didn't tell me?"

Ahusirra nodded, "It was better you not know... I'm sorry. I had to keep an eye on you and knowing I was doing so may have made you act differently."

"She gave me specific instructions on what I could and could not do... except I broke one because I'm an asshole and she owes me for how much blood I ended up losing as well as over using my mana when she was at Havenbrook." He raised an eyebrow at the Goddess, drowning. "So of course, I brought someone else along because I am a petulant man-child."

"I was surprised you did... But I decided to have Tack go through the test too... I wanted to give him a chance... If I really wanted him to not come into my forest, he would've been torn apart at the gate." The Goddess told him honestly. "And I couldn't have expected you to do something so drastic, especially when he said he wouldn't kill you until you all had lost."

"Everyone seems to forget that I'm a strategist... if I had backed off, there was a larger chance of us failing your test. I used observation and confirmed my suspicions about his immortality. Once I knew, it was a matter of getting my companions to act." He replied matter of factly. He shrugged. "And that's not the most dangerous spell I know either... but I'd rather not convert my body into pure magic and explode."

His eye sharpened and he stared not at the Goddess' eyes but at her forehead. "Besides, you should've known better than to make a threat towards Sylvie's life... that normally prompts me into swift action."

"That is what a true test should entail, if you were lead to believe from the gate there would be no danger, you would hardly give it your all." Ahusirra pointed out.

"Enough... What is all this Ahusirra? What do you want to tell us? Don't you want to know?" Sylvie interrupted, looking over at Jay.

"Knowledge is dangerous, and your Goddess hides too much danger behind a friendly façade. I'm fine with a lack of information, mainly because of how cautious your Goddess has made me... but ask your questions. You deserve to have them answered." Edan said honestly, closing his normal eye to leave the gaping maw of one open, as his eyelid for it had disintegrated.

"And that danger is why I refrained from telling you... But it is time..." Ahusirra sighed, "I've told this story thousands of times, and it never gets any easier..."

She stood up, looking out over the room. "We start with a Goddess... Born to the union of Pedener, the God of Birth, and Mevah, Goddess of Life. Named Scathatch (Ska-Hah), she was hidden from the other gods by Mevah to protect her, even from her Father, trust was sort between the Gods in the early days... She feared they might hurt her... So she raised her alone..."

Sylvie's eyes widened. "Scathatch... So... That carving we saw on the Isle... It was Mevah and... and..."

"Me. I am Scathatch, God of Flora and Fauna... And I was Banished from the Heavens..." The Goddess finished.

"So I was right. Good." Sancros said without surprise. He reached into his coat pocket to play with a Gold coin idly. "Any other secrets we should know about?"

Sylvie glared at him, "This is important. Stop disrespecting her!"

Scathatch sighed, "One day, My curiosity overtook me and I made my way to Terra... And by that, I mean I snuck out...

It was beautiful... But that was where I met a Human Man, tending to the flowers and nature in a way I had seen no other Human do before... He intrigued me to no end, so I eventually approached him..."

Ahusirra smiled softly for a moment. "He said his name was Chulainn and he told me that he took care of the forest that took care of him... When he was very young, his family was killed by an opposing tribe, while he escaped he was tired and bleeding badly. However, when he awoke, he found himself in the care of the animals, one of each animal in the forest. They knew his plight and came together, predator and prey alike, to watch over him as they could sense his kind heart."

"In return, he took care of nature and taught his remaining relatives to do the same, building a new village where they had raised him. And soon thereafter... We were smitten with each other..."

"And you mated... wait..." He looked over at Sylvie. "Hmm..."

Ahusirra looked over, "Oh. No no. Well... I returned to my Mother and was scolded... Mevah explained to me that Humans are destructive creatures and are a cancer to live... I argued fervently against her, I told her this one was different and special... But she would not have it, she told me that if I ever went to see him again, she would no longer considered me her Daughter..."

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.9

"But... You left anyway?" Syl responded.

"I did... I even like Jay said, had his baby... It embarrassed her greatly when she found out, as a Mother and as the God of Life... So she wiped any trace of me from history and exiled me from Aetherium, disowning me."

"Well, it just so happens that outside there is a child of the Messenger Immortal. Last I checked, you've already gained the attention of said Immortal, so... you may have to deal with the rest of the Pantheon sooner rather than later." He informed her, tossing the coin into the air before his staff flew up to catch it. "If I had known other people had already been told, I could've gotten them to not say a word... but, now..."

"The only one's I've ever told are loyal to me. But... I think it's time for me to make my first move soon... And reveal myself to the other Gods." The Goddess answered, "Considering Mevah replaced me with another child from Pedener to help keep her secret, I am sure they will all be shocked. The God of Life having a secret Firstborn..."

"There is a massive war currently going on and once you reenter the Pantheon or make yourself known to them in greater detail, they may start preventing you from your goals. Make sure you're adequately prepared for it... or you may find yourself in more trouble than you may be able to deal with..." Edan said, sitting down and closing his eye, his body relaxing.

"Don't worry. I've been planning this for a long time..." She smiled confidently. "So... I left Aetherium to live fully with my love on an island which we named Skye... After our daughter... She was born with a fragment of my soul, as well as fragment of my power..."

Skye stepped up a step farther, nodding once towards them.

"Makes sense, I suppose... doesn't exactly explain the hostility with me on the day my stitches came undone, however..." He started, before turning in Sylvie's direction. "Before you get upset about me not respecting her, I am. My experiences have made it so that when I am polite, I am being rude and discourteous to the person I am talking to, only because it signifies that I either hate or extremely dislike that person. By talking to her casually, I am extending an olive branch; I am showing that I like said person enough to talk to them and enjoy their company."

Sylvie nodded with understanding, looking back up at the Goddess as she continued. "However... Word quickly spread about our child and I through Chulainn's village, then past that... Until a group of Cultists heard word..."

Ahusirra closed her eyes. "They wanted my child... So they burned a huge swath of land in Elluviana, killing many, many creatures, drawing me there while another group went to... take Skye..."

Scathatch hesitated for a moment before Skye spoke up for her. "Thankfully, the birds warned him of their coming, giving him enough time to hide me away... He bravely stood up to them, telling them to leave, he didn't believe in violence... But they cut him down anyway... The Animals carried me far away from there as he died..."

"My condolences. He sounds like he was a great partner and father, if not a stand-up man." Edan said quietly. "I... assumed you raised her alone soon after that?"

"Yes..." Ahusirra looked away.

"When Mother found my Father's Body... Well... As the story goes all of her kindness and love turned into rage and in that rage, she found and brutalized each and every one of them... Thus Chu Chulainn, or the Dragon of Chulainn was born..." Skye placed a hand on her Mother's shoulder as she told the sad story.

"The... Dragon? I thought it was the Hound?" Sylvie questioned.

Ahusirra lifted up her head to speak once more. "Us Nature deities have only been weakening over time as the land is destroyed... All to make way for industry... I have watched for so long as the beautiful he loved is raped and used... And I will not stand for it…”

"Which is a sore subject as we both have discussed it, and argued over it." Sancros said, opening his eye to look at Ahusirra. "We can have another argument over it if you want."

"No... But I am explaining it for Sylvie's sake..." Ahusirra looked over for a moment. "After what happened... I swore to watch after his Village and the people he loved, as well... I abandoned my old name, taking the name you know me by now. Ahusirra'tielli, the name known by the Elves."

"And that village was... Mine?" Sylvie followed.

"Yes. That is why I protect your people. Not only are they Love's, but they are a people untainted by the outside world."

"And a little too zealous about coming after new Light Elves.." Jay murmured with a shudder, remembering how his anxiety had shot up when all the girls had started coming after him.

The Goddess actually laughed, "Yes... They are excitable, aren't they? While they may be shut in, understand I do it for their own protection."

"I do... somewhat. However, while the outside world is pretty inhospitable, experiences do shape people, for better or for worse." Edan replied, offering a half smile to her.

"I learned that knowledge is dangerous when they killed my Love... That village has lasted for hundreds of years, all due to our secrecy and my protection. This is their own world, this is all they need. Does your life feel incomplete because you cannot go to the stars?" Scathatch asked.

"No, but for a long time I knew nothing of the world or its people. I had no knowledge of countries, nor of love or any concept not needed for a slave. If I applied your logic, I'd be a hateful murderous Light Elf, one who would've killed Sylvie on sight. It's because I have traveled and learned more about the world that I have become more open and kind, not by being isolationist. Seeing the world does change people, and yes, some of them may be hurt by venturing out and have a jaded view, but some may become greater than they once were. To deny them the opportunity, is to stop their progress as a people and as a species." He countered, his voice soft and calm.

"This 'progress' is exactly the problem... They have everything they would ever need, it's unnecessary for them to progress, needless. Needless progress and the desire to change the world simply because it can be changed is why things are the way they are now." Ahusirra fought against him.

"And you have instilled in them how important nature is. Do you not trust your people to keep their values, to honor nature? They are not errant children who will fall prey to deviants, as you have taught them better for centuries." He countered, shaking his head. "You have the power to interact with your people, hell, send Skye as a messenger to tell them if they overstep to far."

He sat up and took a few steps towards the Goddess, shaking his head once more. "You act as if there is no control over your people or as if they will change drastically from a mere interaction. You are their Goddess, the sole thing they cherish above all else. You really think a few shiny pieces of metal or some books will change that?”

"No. But I know that letting them out will only draw others here, and if others are drawn here they'll destroy this place, whether through Malice like the Cultists, or through ignorance like your friend Tack." Ahusirra glared, leaning forward.

Suddenly, Sylvie stepped between them, "Please. Enough. They are her people Jay, My people, and she has taken good care of us."

"Tack," He started his voice calmer than it should have been, "is not my friend. And you are right, there is danger in discovery. But tell me, when you reveal yourself to other gods, what do you think happens? You get to deal with their followers. You have so many defenses here that Cultists coming to destroy what you have created is nigh impossible. From the spiders to the faeries to that Knight and the Hound, you have many many ways to dissuade people from attacking." He continued, his eye locking with the more powerful being.

"I know that these are your people and I get that you care for them, which is why I will never attempt to go behind your back and do anything, but this is exactly what other Gods do: Tempora with the time monks, the death God with the priests... The Warlord with his chosen. This path has been done and tried before, and for once, I'd rather see one of you Immortals actually make a difference... to not repeat."

He took a step back and nodded his head at the Goddess then at Sylvie before turning around. "I doubt you'll want me here, Scathatch, and Sylvie is probably pissed... but keep my words in mind. They come from a kind place in me that is rarely ever opened twice to anyone."

"I intend to make a difference... But you need to stay for what happens next..." Ahusirra grimaced at him.

Sylvie looked back. "What... Happens next?"

"After Chulainn died, Skye and I created a protective barrier around the village... but realizing it was far too weak... I used a ritual to transform Skye into the ageless form you see today, by releasing her mortal bonds, it freed her incredible power."

"But not before Skye had a child of her own with a Newcomer to the village, who was raised by him... Thus creating a line of offspring to pass the power of my soul down through the generations... All Earth Mages... All Women..." Ahusirra looked over at a shocked Sylvie.

"S-So... All of these are..." She looked around at the trees lining the room. "My... My Mother..."

"Yes..." The Cat Headed plant woman walked up to Sylvie, "And I'm still alive, my dear Sylvie..."

"I... I don't..." Sylvie muttered, her Mother interrupting her a with hug.

"I'm so proud of you... You've become an incredible woman..."

Sancros turned, this time his face a cold mask. "So you wish to do the same to her." His voice becoming ice, his staff flying into his hand.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.10

Sylvie looked over at Ahusirra. "Is... That true?"

The Goddess sighed. "Cutting to the chase? Yes... You are giving up your current body for a more powerful one, capable of protecting your home... And you are one of the most important in centuries..."

"You see... Your Mother was hurt protecting your village from a powerful monster... So much so she lost much of her ability to keep up the barrier that draws the monsters away... That is the answer to the question you sought... Why the creatures were drawing closer and closer..."

"So... You need me to become one... To protect my people?" The Huntress confirmed, seeming apprehensive.

"Yes... But there is more you should know..." Ahusirra stopped her. "While you are technically Ageless, a constant use of magic to help the forest wears down the form over time... And when the time comes when you run too low to function... In something along the lines of five hundred years... You will plant yourself into the ground, slowly giving your energy into the soil..."

"The Maiden Trees..." Sylvie stated in realization.

"Yes... They are all my daughters... And I remember each of them perfectly... I remember what they liked to wear, how they behaved, who they loved... And I remember them standing where you are now..." She looked over at Jay. "That Is the reason I protect them so... All of you mean so much to me..."

Sancros' staff flew off at incredible speed towards the exit, as his body began to glow a colorless light. "I thought you said you wouldn't influence her. I..." Edan said softly, his face stoic save for the single tear trailing down his face. His magic aura suggested it was going unstable, the shining light a clear sign of that.

Sylvie saw this and quickly rushed over to him, "Jay stop!"

"I know what I said." Scathatch stared at him. "But this is too important... I know it's a lot to take in, but this is a good thing... This will lengthen her life by five times, did you ever consider than as a Light Elf, you would long outlive Sylvie and even Jasmine?"

"But this is the only way Sylvie can protect her village now... As well, she will need this to be able to even stand against Hastur... Don't be selfish here Jay..."

"Enough." His voice boomed, his anger seeping through. "I am a selfish man, but... I also value when someone gives me their word. You lied to me. What a fool I was to believe that you were anything different than the other gods." His aura became more unbalanced, threatening an explosion. "But... I don't have to outlive Sylvie... I can erase my soul... end it when I want to. I have two spells left: One that causes an explosion, and one that erases me..."

He took a few steps backwards, his face losing it's anger in lieu of pain. "I am selfish, arrogant, reckless, overly critical, and an emotional wreck. But... I am loyal, kind, loving, and thoughtful. People keep telling me I'm a horrible father or I'm a lackluster husband. Fine, maybe I am... and maybe that means no more Jay Sancros or Edan en' ar kaane, or even slave number two hundred and fifty-one. Titania and Kva can raise Jasmine in my place, so I already know I don't have to exist." One of his fingers seemed to fade away. in actuality, however, it turned into pure magic.

Sylvie panicked, "Jay what are you doing! Stop! You're going the break the deal you just made with me!?"

"Jay... I didn't lie to you. I'm not influencing her I am offering her a choice... And it's her decision..." Ahusirra just sighed, shaking her head. "It may not be an easy decision but it's one that has to be made."

His aura calmed somewhat, not entirely but enough that his conversion into magic stopped. "I... no. I will hold off for now..." He said quietly, the light dimming. He kneeled, and sighed. "She is right. This is your decision... and I will accept your choice no matter what."

Sylvie calmed down, looking down at her feet as Ahusirra walked up to her cradling Sylvie's hands.

"Another thing... Normally, this would mean you would no longer be able to see Jasmine. If she were to know all this before the right time, she could be hurt or worse..." The Goddess hesitated to say. "However, due to your affiliation with Havenbrook and the threat of Hastur... You will have to watch her anyway. This is unprecedented, but necessary..."

"Okay..." The Huntress caught herself. "What exactly... Does this ritual entail?"

The Exiled Goddess slipped a dagger into her hands, it was of fine wooden construction with a extremely sharp point and edges, however it was also hollow, a lattice of wood and vines covering a pulsing core. Thick, dark red sap ran out from inside the blade in seemingly endless amounts, absorbing into the ground. "This dagger is made from the tree behind me... This tree has its roots in the leylines that run below our forest and as such is connected on a spiritual level to every part of the natural world... The sap this dagger weeps is the blood of the forest, it holds the pain of every plant and animal on Terra and weeps equal to the pain being inflicted on nature..."

Ahusirra looked into Sylvie's eyes seriously. "In this ritual... You will take the pain of Nature into yourself and accept the great burden of protecting it... By using this blade to cut out your own heart..."

Sancros took a few steps away, hiding his face and thus whatever Sylvie would do. He held a hand in front of himself and looked at it, contemplating what to do. When he finally decided, he held a grim grin, his eyes seemingly empty. When we leave this wretched forest, I shall dissolve myself after writing a note. I will not be strong enough to endure seeing my child and wife being turned into Ahusirra's… plants. It's either that or Hastur, and frankly death no longer scares me...

"I... Should talk to Jay..." Sylvie said, the red sap staining her hands as she walked over. "Jay?"

"Ask any question you wish to ask me." Ahusirra looked at the clearly dismayed Light Elf with sympathy in her eyes.

His eye held a dull look to it as he turned, his face once again stoical. "I have no questions." He said quietly, slouching ever so slightly. He turned to look at Sylvie, his face hiding all of his pain with a fake mask of calm.

"I know you don't want me to do this... And... I am scared... But... I'll still be me, right?" Sylvie looked back towards the Goddess.

"Of course. Nothing will change except your physical body. Everything about who your lover is will still remain Jay..." Ahusirra calmly assured.

Sancros closed his eye and sat down, trying to recoup himself. "But ultimately I will be alone. She will go with you and I will raise a child alone. Sylvie, after enough time, will stop being mine, and will start being yours. I see nothing wrong with this at all." He replied sarcastically, an equally bitter laugh coming out of his mouth.

"Edan... It... It won't be so bad... Don't make me choose... Please don't make me choose between you and my people, my parents, my... Goddess and my Ancestors..." Sylvie begged him.

"You misunderstand Jay, I'm allowing you to return to Havenbrook with her, then after all this is said and done, you may be able to see her more if you join us... Join me in my plans..." Ahusirra explained further.

"What plans are you talking about?" The Huntress asked her.

"After this business with Hastur has concluded... I will take my Guardians and march south, then we will bring life back to the Dutchy. Our new lands will be a Haven for escaped slaves, from Themosa... And Helvan…"

"Like I said, this is your choice, Sylvie, and I will respect it.. whatever it may be." He said quietly, closing his eye once more. "And you... Goddess of Flora and Fauna... you will start a civil war between the people who live there and the other Gods themselves." Sancros shoved his hand into his pocket, hiding the fact that another finger faded away in frustration and heartache.

"If that must be... Then so be it, I refuse to flicker out like a candle and I assure you the other nature God's share a similar sentiment." Ahusirra just turned gaze away from him. "Well, Sylvie?"

Syl's eyes just grew tired and saddened, feeling as if no choice was the right one... No matter what she chose she'd hurt someone she cares about forever...

After some time just standing there, Sylvie closed her eyes and turned around towards Ahusirra, taking the dagger from her hands. "Let's do this... I... I am ready..."

Sancros merely sighed, laying down on the ground. He remained still and held his breath, hoping he didn't have to hear the dreaded sound he knew was coming.

Leading her over to the bowl, which Sylvie could now see was full of the same sap; Ahusirra stepped over to the other side as a group of the sylvan circled them. "The sap's magic will keep you alive throughout the process, once it is in your hands, place it into don't her and we will do the rest..."

The Human Woman took a deep breath, looking back through the crowd at Jay one more time.

The Light Elf met her gaze, offering a weak smile. He turned his head away and gazed at the entrance, somewhat forlorn as he got up to bandage his arm and any other wound, pulling medical gauze and tape out.

After a moment, a sharp, choked cry suddenly shot into his ears, followed by more as Sylvie drove the blade into her chest. The initial pain was incredible... but it didn't prepare her for the pain that punched through her as the sap entered into her system. Her eyes widened as far as they could, her pupils dilating as she spit up blood, the choked sounds turning more into a gurgling as the blood blocked her airway. And yet, she kept cutting and cutting a circle around her heart, the magic in the blade dissolving the ribs as it contacted them. The pain was so intense for her now that time slowed to a crawl, every single split second felt as if it lasted a year as the pure burning pain flowed her every part of her.

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt. 11

The next thing Jay heard was the sound of blood spilling onto the ground, liters of it, and after a moment it ran down towards him, pooling around his feet.

Sancros started walking, leaving the pool of blood behind, as his love died. A stream of tears left his eye as he did so, not stopping to wipe them away.

Meanwhile Sylvie finished pushing the knife around her heart, reaching in and taking in her hand, still beating as she removed it, the organ glowing faintly green as she held it forward, dropping it into the bowl with a soft ka-thunk... Then a bigger thunk as the Woman's body fell lifeless to the ground. As her old shell soaked into a pool of her own blood, the servants of Ahusirra wasted no time place the ever flowing dagger into the bowl with her heart. The bowl started to fill quickly, the heart now pumping the sap through it's Chambers as the outside of the organ took on a wood like quality.

From Jay's perspective bright green rivers of energy pulsed along the stone walls of the cave towards the bowl, a pillar of light flowing down into it as fireflies began to gather all around.

He kept walking, letting his mangled arm dissolve into magic. He bit his lips hard enough to make it bleed, as it flowed through the empty hole in his lower jaw.

After but a moment, Ahusirra dipped her hands into the bowl to retrieve the heart, beating the dark sap out of itself now instead of blood.

Lifting it above the font, the fireflies gathered to form an almost Halo around it before flying and vanishing into the heart. As they did, the wood heart became a pulsing ball of green light like the other's and it was only a second later as wood from the great tree broke off like it had a mind of it's own. The wood wrapped around the heart like a shell, then as the other Sylvans began to sing, it began to shape itself into a mask, this mask being that of an elk.

Antlers formed, then deep hollow eyes that suddenly burst with energy and started to glow aswell. It was then that Sylvie regained her awareness, staring out of the mask and seeing Jay as she began to use all her force of will to try and pull herself together. More of the tree wood floated towards her, beginning to form what looked like a body like the other's, starting with the feet and working its way up until her new avatar was complete.

As it as it was finished the Huntress' new body fell to the ground and onto it's knees, seeing first hand what was left of her old form. It took only a moment before something hit her mind and she stood up, pushing some of the sylvan away as she tried to reach Jay.

"Jay!" A voice called out desperately, it was her voice, although it didn't come out of her now mouthless Deer mask of a face, as well, it had a slightly hollow, magical quality to it. "J... Jay?"

He was gone, a slight bit of dust where his arm had faded being the only trace of him in her sights. Meanwhile, he had started at a hard run, testing his now strengthened leg's speed as he burst out of the cave and kept running.

"Jay..." She ran her fingers through the dust, gripping it in her fists as she pressed her head against the floor of the cave. Despite her been wooden form, tears began to roll out of her eyes, falling and combining with the dust.

"He didn't have to do this to you... He didn't have to make you choose between me or him... This isn't your fault..." Scathatch put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Sylvie lifted her head up slowly, "You're right... But it hurts so much..."

"Even after all he said, perhaps he was the one trying to guilt and influence you into taking his path, and seeing as you didn't, he left." Ahusirra spoke with honesty, but Sylvie simply stayed as silent as death.

Meanwhile as Jay ran from the cave he found himself back at his group, all of them looking at him.

He paused for a second his tears still streaming down his face, but continued running.

"Jay!" Titania ran with him a concerned look on her face, her hand outstretched but afraid to touch him. "What's wrong?"

"Leave me alone... please..." He pleaded his voice broken and torn, the raw emotion he felt clear in every syllable he spoke.

"Did something happen?" She asked worriedly, but Sancros just shook his head and kept running.

The Thrope's ears flopped down in sadness as she slowed to a stop, watching him leave. "Jay..."

Kva was dead quiet, looking over at the cave and back at Titania. "What should we do? Check on Sylvie or go after him?"

"I... I don't know..." The Thrope said, her voice tinged with sadness.

"Can't go into the cave during a Trial of a Chosen. You'd be dealing with a very pissed off Goddess." Tack advised, shaking his head slowly

"Well... I want to know why my best friend, even if he's been acting shitty to me for weeks, just ran out of that cave, crying and missing an arm." Titania decided, as she looked at Kva. She turned around a very angry look on her face. She started to enter the cave, her hands balling into fists that blurred.

The First thing Titania saw was a Deer Headed tree woman kneeling and crying into a pile of ashes, Ahusirra having a hand on her shoulder as she looked up.

"Titania..." The Goddess muttered as soon as she saw her.

"Explain." She growled, her eyes becoming feral as her body began to blur.

Sylvie stood up, speaking so she knew it was her. "It's... A long explanation..."

Titania took on a stunned look, before she frowned. "Sylvie… what happened to you? And... we got time. I mean, my best friend just ran past about as broken as I ever have seen him, with tears streaming down his face. Oh and he's missing an arm. I think while he makes his way through the forest, I will enjoy a nice, long talk." She said icily, as she glared at the two.

"Ahusirra offered me this form so I could stand a chance against Hastur and protect my home... All my Mother's and Grandmothers have done this..." Sylvie spoke, unused to her new voice.

"However the ritual is... Graphic..." Ahusirra turned to reveal Sylvie's old body and the blood pool. "He seemed to think I was taking Sylvie away from him. He was even almost willing to attack me. But once Sylvie decided to go through with it, he ran and left her here when she needed him most..."

Titania deblurred and just looked at them, her eyes still feral. "Did you watch your significant other die, Ahusirra? Did you think making a person who is broken from slavery, watch his loved one die, a good idea?" She took a few steps forward. "I should hit you, as hard as I can. My anger demands it, but right now... I'm just disappointed in both of you."

"He is out there, right now, after witnessing your death, broken to the point that he is crying and you're still here, acting as if he needs to come to you? Get your dumb ass up and go chase after him! This is not about either of you, and I couldn't give a damn about what you did, but you hurt him again, Sylvie Laurent, I will fucking find a way to stay immortal just to beat the shit out of you for millennia." Titania kicked the new tree-woman as hard as she could in the direction of the wall, before storming off towards the entrance.

Sylvie flew back a few feet, holding her hand out uselessly. "I... I need to get to him..."

Ahusirra sighed, closing her eyes for a moment. "He's making his way to the lake, place your hand on one of the roots of there tree, then think of your destination as hard as you can."

The Huntress nodded, doing so and as she did her mind almost shot into the tree, travelling what felt like miles a second until she stopped. She was now looking out upon the lake as if she were a tree, instinctively pushing a hard as she can, she suddenly materialized out of it, stepping from the tree as if she had fused with it. Sylvie huffed, the experience mind boggling, but she ignored it as she looked around for Jay.

She spotted him a few feet ahead of her still running hard, but some blood leaking out of the various holes he carried from his earlier fight. Taking another step, his staff flew into his hand as it began to drag his torn and battered body.

Sylvie ran towards him, calling out desperately once more. "Jay! Jay wait!"

He looked behind himself, his eyes full with no life to them. He let go, his body tumbling opening up more wounds as he came to a stop, his face planted into the ground.

Sylvie just rushed over hurriedly, placing her hands on him but being surprised at the wooden fingers, however she quickly shook it off. "Jay let me heal you please..."

"No.." He croaked out, his voice muffled as he shook somewhat. He didn't make any attempt to move away or to move closer, his staff merely floating down to his remaining arm.

Ignoring him, Sylvie pumped her new wellspring of magic into Jay, quickly healing his minor wounds. "I'm here Jay... It's Sylvie..."

"We have to get you to Ahusirra, she could probably heal your arm..." Sylvie put her arm around him, trying to lift him up.

He dropped to the ground, preventing her from doing so. He pulled his scarf past his eye hiding his tears. "I know who it is." He said quietly, his voice a cocktail of emotions. "You killed yourself in front of me. I don't think I could forget that at any point in time."

The Huntress knelt in front of him. "Jay... Listen to my voice, I'm not dead... It was just my body, my mind, my soul, everything important, everything you love is still here..."

Black0ut

A Maiden Betwixt, pt.12

The Light returned, shining far more bright. "Yes, the woman I love is preserved, alive... after killing herself. And she tells me to stop nearly throwing my life away..." He said in a low voice, chuckling grimly. "Why did you think that was a good idea to do that while I was there...?"

"I had faith I would live Jay, besides the amount of time you've nearly died, which has been twice in just this one day, and I don't even get one?" Sylvie attempted a joke to lighten the mood, but shook her head, growing serious again. "And... I wanted you there to comfort me... I... I was scared..."

He stood, looking at her with an indecipherable look on his face. "Scared? Scared?! I got to hear you carve out your heart and felt the blood on my feet. You want to talk to me about scared?" He asked, his voice more aggressive. "I have no reason to live, until I met you. I had no hope, no idea of a future, because I was so brainwashed into believing I was nothing but trash. I was a slave for forty-six years, and for most of that, wounded and deformed beyond recognition. I have memories of strangling people, stabbing them with rusty weaponry, those people being of friend and foes, all in the sake of staying alive. I have memories of being tortured and healed, tortured and healed. I have enough fear and pain in me that I should be insane or severely depressed."

"Yet, that didn't break me. Hearing and feeling you die... that's enough to break the strongest of men, let alone someone who's already well past broken." He said quietly, gazing at her face letting the pain and anguish he felt out in all of his words and his face.

"But..." Sylvie stopped, falling silent. "I'm sorry... I thought you would be fine because I wasn't really dying..."

"I would never be okay with you dying in any sense of the word. I love you too much that this..." Edan started, trying to find a word not too harsh, "hurt. For now... I can live without an arm... but right now... just... stay and talk with me. I don't think I should be trusted to be alone...I'm not in the right mind state and with a deadly spell..."

"How you felt when you saw me... Is how I felt every time you sacrifice yourself... I should've at least told you to go, but I wanted you there to support me..." The now wooden woman said honestly.

"It's different when you haven't had the inkling that you would find love, let alone, have a family. Think of it like this: Everything is hyper-important. A document that you needed filing would seem like a task that would save the world. Hearing you die was akin to being ripped apart, but without the damage to back it up." He explained before his face darkened. "She lied to me, Sylvie. I will not be coming back to this forest again."

"How? How did she lie to you?" Syl asked.

"Where to start... She led me to believe that you and I would have the choice to settle in the village. She promised me that she would not influence you into a decision. She and I had an argument about it... when she came to Havenbrook to gather allies. And while she does not keep her word... I do." He said, sighing. "If she is to start a civil war, I will be on the opposite side. Which means..."

"To be honest, she gave me a choice Jay, and after you left she made a fair point... If she was influencing me to make a decision you were influencing me to choose your side too." Sylvie held firm. "Jay. She's a good person. But she's lost a lot and has a lot she needs to protect. Just like you..."

"I could've begged or pleaded with you if I wanted to influence you. I didn't. I let you go through with it. There were many things I could've done to try to change your mind, yet I merely sat and waited for you to go through with your choice." He said quietly taking a step back. "If she goes to war, Sylvie, I will be fighting her... and by extension, you. Are you sure fading away into magic is not the best option here in the long run?"

"Jay. Listen to me. Have you ever spoken to Lyr? The people in the Dutchy are in a constant state of struggle due to a lack of resources. If she brings life there she could finally bring back stability there. And she wants to free the slaves for you... How can you be against that?" Sylvle almost pleased with him.

"And attack nations like Themosa and rid them of their technology either peacefully or violently. That," He countered, with a sigh, "is something I am against. The lying is only a small part."

"You're really willing to do help Themosa? The Slave Trade capital of the world? You were there you must've seen how bad it is." Sylvie reasoned. "Look... Think of it like this... If you join us, you'll have Ahu- Scathatch's ear, she trusts you... We could help keep help keep her actions within the realm of reasonability..."

"I never said I'd help the current government. There is a noble I trust who'll help reconstruct the government, as well as a resistance group. They belong in power and I'm sure they have seen enough tyrants to not become one themselves. Every other nation, I'd help with, but Themosa is a hard no." Sancros countered, his eye gaining the brightness it had earlier.

"Fine..." Sylvie looked away. "You wouldn't want to fight me now anyway... I might turn you into a Toad! OoooOOoooO…"

His staff rapped against the top of her head, an easy smile playing across his lips. "And you are the most silliest woman I have ever met." Sancros teased, his good arm playfully punching her shoulder. His smile disappeared for a brief moment in lieu of a grimace, before returning to normal.

"Let's just... Give her a chance to prove herself before we do anything crazy, okay?" She leaned up next to him.

"For you... I'll do anything." He said, as he started to reach around her back only to notice his arm was no longer there. Instead, he leaned his head onto hers, narrowly avoiding one of her antlers.
----------------------
In his head, the negative side of him grew, getting stronger, as the positive part filled with the best parts, shrunk into a tiny sliver.

He knew that after a certain time, he would resume his spell and leave... the only fragment of his soul being in his staff.

Lyte

A Lost Legacy

The afternoon sun in Kemar bore down its rays down upon the military camp positioned directly outside the rebel held city of Tear. The city lay on a hilled patchwork on the outer Kemarian desert where grassland melded with the sands.

The city itself was one massive square, the roads and alleys all straightlines and the buildings blocky in design, meant to be simple due to the limited amount of construction materials afforded to them. The massive sandstone wall that surrounded the strategic position was patrolled by soldiers in light armor, white with golden slashes of the loyalist rebels across their chest armor. Most held javelins with packs of replacements strapped to their backs, cases for shortbows on their waists.

Among the camp were the milling of followers and soldiers about their business, women carrying urns of water and baskets of clothing while most soldiers sat around cookfires drinking and sharing battle stories. Even children ran about, playing various games to keep themselves occupied. Many men brought their families with them to war, the homesteads they abandoned no longer safe with the cultists roaming the deserts in search of innocents to prosecute.

Away from the camp was a marshalling ground where new recruits were being trained in combat by drillmasters, the numbers of the army having swelled at the beginning of the rebellion campaign. The largest tent near the center of camp had a flag waving above it, a golden sand dragon on a white background surrounded by a golden ring. It flapped in the wind, a welcome relief to the fall heat which never seemed to subside until late into winter when the rain season came.

Grand Marshall Samgwyn Tidus sat looking over a map of the country with various markers indicating rebel outposts and cultist held territory. He was a hardened Ophidian, with a square jaw and his face cracked with the wrinkles of time. His brilliant golden hair was trimmed short, and a beard wrapped his jaw. He wore merely small clothes, having discarded of his armor to a stand not far away.

Here, he should have felt safe. Tear was as far from cultist held territory as possible, near the northern border as a hub of trade to the northern nations but an itch in the back of his neck made him wary of recent assertions.

In the night, men would mysteriously vanish, rations prematurely spoil. Children would be fine one day and fighting a deadly fever the next. Samgwyn knew how to fight wars, but this was a war of attrition he did not know how to combat effectively. He let out a sigh and took a pitcher of spiced wine, bringing it to his lips and began chugging it down. A thin stream of the drink fell from the corner of his mouth and he wiped it when he pulled the jug away, setting it down.

It was the day after a long skirmish with the cultist army to the south, stalking them like prey. By the grace of Aratenda, they had been successful in all their sorties against the superior numbers. It was partially due to Samgwyn’s own knowledge of battle tactics as one of the world’s great generals and his superior forces of the late Matriarch’s elites that success was possible, but costly. It was a statement of desperation he looked to the old abandoned gods for guidance, but with his love missing and his country in ruins with no help from the governing state, he found himself alone and with his back to the wall. That was where his resolve came from, knowing that defeat was no option.

The tent flap rustled and the Grand Marshall turned to see one of his captains come in, saluting with fist to right shoulder. “Sir, there is a girl here asking for you… by name.” the captain included with a suspicious look.

People knowing his name was not unique, but everyone never used it when asking for a meeting. “Send them in.” the deep voice Ophidian said, taking his scabbarded sword and put it around his waist. When that was done, a figure entered the tent escorted by the captain and an additional guard. The individual had on no visible weapons, and was likely searched upon her entry, but Samgwyn knew well enough that the woman before him would need no weapons to be of any danger.

“You aren’t supposed to be here Alaycia.” the Marshall stated, waving away the guard escorts to be left alone with the captain of the Matriarch’s own Queen’s Guard. “I don’t wish to see you. Not now.”

The Dune Maidens, as they were referred to as an alias for their true purpose, were an elite class of women only warriors in Kemar, acting with the government to hunt down those who turn to banditry and other evil acts. Alaycia smiled, the golden haired beauty putting her arms beneath her ample bosom with a sly smirk. “When Kemar was once independent, during the Subjugation War of our people, a small force of one hundred maidens loyal to the Kemarian independance force nearly beat the entire invading Virandan army, fighting till the last woman was slain. You have ten of my girls. I hope you have been putting them to good use Sam.”

“Get out.” the Marshall growled, his hand going to his short sword. “You have no place here woman.”

“I have every right to be here.” the woman responded back with an even tone, though her emotion was masked now, there was heat in her eyes.

That caused the general to tighten his jaw, leaning back against the table. “You should have been there by her side when the fighting started. Instead, you were off playing sister to the bastard.”

“Don’t forget Sam that the ‘bastard’ is your son. Whether you want to acknowledge him because of the law or not. And I shouldn’t have to remind you it was our Matriarch’s wish to have me watch over her son after… his proxy one was assassinated.” Her green emerald eyes cast daggers at the marshall.

“Her decision making wasn’t always the most pragmatic. The woman thought with her heart too often. Look where it got her.” Samgwyn angrily stated, bringing the pitcher up to his lips.

“Oh you stubborn old man… you know that is half the reason you fell in love with her.” the captain of the queen’s guard almost looked sympathetic.

“Why are you here? To just taunt me? Or to actually participate in this gods damnable war.” Striding across the tent, the general went to his armor stand, slowly beginning to take the pieces off.

“I still have a duty to do. I am here because of your son.” her face softened a bit, the sympathy starting to slowly crawl out. “He’s found love Sam. Having a child of his own.”

That gave the Marshall pause for a moment, but he pulled over his chestplate, turning around to Alaycia. “He’s not my responsibility. I don’t care.” he lied obviously.

“He will be soon. He plans on joining the fight to look for his mother when things settle down at the guild we shipped him to. I don’t think you or Yig’s army of cultists will stand in his way.” Alaycia noted with some hint of concern, but she kept on a straight face, “He’s a lot like you, ya know. A true fighter. Perhaps instead of running from him, you should try and actually be there before a cultist ends up putting a knife in your back.”

This left the Grand Marshall silent, staring down the captain of the Dune Maidens with a stony glare. He pulled some of the straps tighter, not offering up a response. “Who’s the girl?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” She responded with a shake of her head.

“And have you told your little girlfriend the truth yet?” the Marshall asked, for once giving the golden haired beauty a paused and worried look. “I see.” he turned around back to his armor stand and grabbed one of his bracers. When the tent flap rustled again, his captain entered, and the general was already alone. “Prepare a squad. I’m going out on patrol.” the soldier nodded and saluted, quickly going out to give the order. Samgwyn let out a tired sigh. His talk with Alaycia did not help the itching on the back of his neck. In fact, now it only itched more.