OOC X-COM Think Tank (part 4)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sigh... you know you hate your job when you are constantly looking at the clock and saying, "127 minutes... 126 minutes... 125 minutes..."

DarkGemini24601

That feel when Yakone becomes a Cyberdisc.
cyberdisc_by_irrationallyrational-d9yceix.png

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
And now, for things to get... uncomfortable.
Living armor. Creepy. Interesting linking the Yorin and the Silicids. I'm guessing since they were manufactured by the Protectorate in this universe, they used Yorin as a base and did what they like to do; 'improve' to make better weapons, like what they did with the mechroaches, making a species of Yorin+ (though if they can do everything to Yorin can do plus more, does that mean the Yorin as a species are obsolete now?)

Also, the whole "keep her quiet by making her happy... or think she is happy" thing? Brilliant. Evil, but brilliant.

DarkGemini24601

Living armor. Creepy. Interesting linking the Yorin and the Silicids. I'm guessing since they were manufactured by the Protectorate in this universe, they used Yorin as a base and did what they like to do; 'improve' to make better weapons, like what they did with the mechroaches, making a species of Yorin+ (though if they can do everything to Yorin can do plus more, does that mean the Yorin as a species are obsolete now?)

Also, the whole "keep her quiet by making her happy... or think she is happy" thing? Brilliant. Evil, but brilliant.
No, you missed the part about Europa. The ayys took a race that originated on the subsurface ocean of a moon of Jupiter and modified them to expand their useful wartime abilities. Yorin and Silicids are subsets of the Lutumax race - species of the genus. That's why Ember and Praclaritas are "kin" - same star system of origin. Our solar system.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
No, you missed the part about Europa. The ayys took a race that originated on the subsurface ocean of a moon of Jupiter and modified them to expand their useful wartime abilities. Yorin and Silicids are subsets of the Lutumax race - species of the genus. That's why Ember and Praclaritas are "kin" - same star system of origin. Our solar system.
Right, right. Europa is a Jupiter moon. For some reason, I thought it was a megacity or something. Derp.

And the whole Yorin vs. Silicid usefulness thing? Is there anything a Yorin can do that a Silicid can't since (in my version, anyway), all Yorin could do is mind control and impart some psionics. Otherwise, outside of the body, they were just tiny, vulnerable slugs.

DarkGemini24601

Right, right. Europa is a Jupiter moon. For some reason, I thought it was a megacity or something. Derp.

And the whole Yorin vs. Silicid usefulness thing? Is there anything a Yorin can do that a Silicid can't since (in my version, anyway), all Yorin could do is mind control and impart some psionics. Otherwise, outside of the body, they were just tiny, vulnerable slugs.
Well, the Mindleech unit is just a mind controlling slug with soulfire inside a metal shell. You've seen Yorin already. One actually mind-controlled Yakone on the base defense, eerily enough.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Well, the Mindleech unit is just a mind controlling slug with soulfire inside a metal shell. You've seen Yorin already. One actually mind-controlled Yakone on the base defense, eerily enough.
Right. I remember that. I guess my confusion is whether the Silicids can mind control like the Yorin.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
...Praclaritas said so. Did you read the second part?
Yeah, he said they both have Mind Fusion, which I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as mind control. And if that is the case, my question is, if Yorin and Silicids are from the same species, and they can both mind control, but Silicids can also capable of biotehnical reshaping and fusion to machines in addition to mind control, then why ever use Yorin if Silicids are basically Lvl. 2 Yorin?

DarkGemini24601

Yeah, he said they both have Mind Fusion, which I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as mind control. And if that is the case, my question is, if Yorin and Silicids are from the same species, and they can both mind control, but Silicids can also capable of biotehnical reshaping and fusion to machines in addition to mind control, then why ever use Yorin if Silicids are basically Lvl. 2 Yorin?
Welcome, everyone, to overthinking land.

Sectoid Gurus are better than Sectoids. Why don't the aliens only use Sectoid Gurus? Muton Elites are better than Mutons, why aren't they the mainstay? Sectopods are better than all other robots, the aliens should only build Sectopods.

DarkGemini24601

I don't have an answer. I could make something up for you if you're going to have an aneurysm otherwise, but the truth is I don't think too hard about crap like that.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Welcome, everyone, to overthinking land.

Sectoid Gurus are better than Sectoids. Why don't the aliens only use Sectoid Gurus? Muton Elites are better than Mutons, why aren't they the mainstay? Sectopods are better than all other robots, the aliens should only build Sectopods.

I don't have an answer. I could make something up for you if you're going to have an aneurysm otherwise, but the truth is I don't think too hard about crap like that.
Sorry for being confused. Your don't have to be an ass about it, though. Sorry for being interested in this 'crap', but you don't have to make me feel like a stupid jackass for asking questions.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Nothing quite like having a lousy evening that leads to a lack of sleep, waking up late so you have to buy something to eat, having to drive through fog that's thick as soup, diarreah that mounts you to the toilet until you are forced to get up to do your work, the first customer of the day arguing with you because he thinks he deserves special treatment and prices, and having to do two cars with only two people because the other employees are always late and the manager doesn't say a word when they get here 25 minutes late that just makes you want to slit your throat and write a big FUCK YOU in your blood before you die.

And it hasn't even been an hour...

Last edited: