OOC X-COM Think Tank (part 4)

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I enjoyed it. The banter was fun, the tendency for becoming evil to switch or open up your sexual preference is weird but amusing. And I really appreciated the quick but evident reference to Daniel Hunnigan. It didn't slip my notice.

But... I couldn't help but feel... uneasy for the first part, listening to Desmond and Ember talk to each other. Made my stomach churn, which might have been the point. I just really wish what was said to Desmond to make him agree to this. And if it wasn't much, and he knows exactly what happened and is okay with it... I have to admit, Desmond lost quite a few sympathy points. I mean, every single other person but Desmond I don't care about, but he is the one person in ADVENT that shouldn't be okay with this. Am I misunderstanding? Does he not realize or comprehend that the daughter he told he was proud of, the daughter he said he would protect, and the daughter he was willing to spit in the face of the Elder's for is, for a lack of a better term, dead? Buried beneath what is essentially a facsimile with her memories but none of the girl that was his daughter, and in many ways is the exact opposite? Does he not realize that who she is has been stripped away, and she has been turned into a monster, a rage filled, murderous shadow of what she was? Does he not understand that his wish for her to realize he was right and join his side did not come to pass because she is under a power, mind altering mind control.

Or does he understand this... and is really the kind of disgusting excuse for a human being that doesn't care as long as he gets the pleasure of his daughter by his side, hallow as that might be?
The mistake you make is assuming Desmond is okay with this. That churning feeling you have is how Desmond feels. He realizes everything. And he is not entirely happy about what he got too. That's been made abundently clear. The fact we didn't show what was said was a conscious one. It leaves that sense of mystery and don't forget Desmond is a high ranking official in the Protectorate. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Especially the hand that turned your daughter against everything she knew.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Here is a solo for you guys that I think articulates Leon feelings about the whole situation concisely.

Don't read until you finish the solo.
Yeah, the frustrations of all the past shit he has gone through has come to a head in this piece. Leon isn't a person to let go of torment, and came close to losing it with Yakone's capture. Her conversion was the last straw that led to this psionically fueled rampage. You might be wondering, 'Okay, what the fuck? This seems out of character, I hate this solo and-' Hold up, shut up, me talky time. There's deeper meaning to this whole episode of his. One I plan on showing in a colab hopefully soon. For now, if you want to colab Leon it will understandibly be done from the brig. Good day.
I don't see anything wrong with how he reacted. I mean... the destroying stuff was wrong, and I'm sure Atka (and possibly Gem) will be pissed about it. But I understood why he did it. He snapped. He lost it. He was pushed beyond his limit and acted accordingly. I just hope he can be brought back from the torment in his mind now. Hopefully Gwen can help. Or maybe one of my characters.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I don't see anything wrong with how he reacted. I mean... the destroying stuff was wrong, and I'm sure Atka (and possibly Gem) will be pissed about it. But I understood why he did it. He snapped. He lost it. He was pushed beyond his limit and acted accordingly. I just hope he can be brought back from the torment in his mind now. Hopefully Gwen can help. Or maybe one of my characters.
I was thinking Joe or one of the girls would help some but Luke has first dibs. As for Atka being pissed, there is another reason behind it I will reveal to Gem when he asks me about it.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
The mistake you make is assuming Desmond is okay with this. That churning feeling you have is how Desmond feels. He realizes everything. And he is not entirely happy about what he got too. That's been made abundently clear. The fact we didn't show what was said was a conscious one. It leaves that sense of mystery and don't forget Desmond is a high ranking official in the Protectorate. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Especially the hand that turned your daughter against everything she knew.
I suppose. I guess I just expected more passion if he is against it from past experience. He seemed to threaten declaring a personal war against the protectorate if they harmed his daughter. And they just harmed her in the most personal, deep seeded, invasive way possible. I would call what was done to Yakone during her torture the mental equivalent of rape, and the rewriting of her brain the worst assault of all, arguably worse then killing her.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm just being overly passionate about it. But if it was my daughter...

DarkGemini24601

I suppose. I guess I just expected more passion if he is against it from past experience. He seemed to threaten declaring a personal war against the protectorate if they harmed his daughter. And they just harmed her in the most personal, deep seeded, invasive way possible. I would call what was done to Yakone during her torture the mental equivalent of rape, and the rewriting of her brain the worst assault of all, arguably worse then killing her.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm just being overly passionate about it. But if it was my daughter...
Well, Desmond wasn't told precisely what was done to her - and he didn't go berserk when he found out what was done to Nouja. Reflect on Azazel. In the same vein, they don't like who they serve. But to rebel openly is to commit suicide without accomplishing anything.

Wait until you've seen the full arc of Desmond's story before you cast a final judgement on him. He may have accepted this outcome for now, but if his circumstances change who knows what he'll do?

DarkGemini24601

Also, Zmby, you caught the hint I put forward when Azazel was mentioned as being dead to Ember right?
Yakone's still in there somewhere. The remorse gave Ember a headache. She managed to suppress it rather easily, but don't count Yak down for the count just yet.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Also, Zmby, you caught the hint I put forward when Azazel was mentioned as being dead to Ember right?
Yakone's still in there somewhere. The remorse gave Ember a headache. She managed to suppress it rather easily, but don't count Yak down for the count just yet.
I caught it. It caught my attention.

DarkGemini24601

Additonally, about Ember's advances towards Jezebel: consider the fact that Yakone - while straight - still pushed the boundaries of that sexuality. Oh, and she's college age, so a shift of personality leading to some lesbian flirting is not too far out from my perspective.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Additonally, about Ember's advances towards Jezebel: consider the fact that Yakone - while straight - still pushed the boundaries of that sexuality. Oh, and she's college age, so a shift of personality leading to some lesbian flirting is not too far out from my perspective.
I'm not sure I notice that first part during her time in XCOM considering she had a bisexual roommate that was openly attracted to her and never hinted that she might come close to to returning that attraction, even threatening to kick her ass if the 'kiss' they had ever got out.

DarkGemini24601

I'm not sure I notice that first part during her time in XCOM considering she had a bisexual roommate that was openly attracted to her and never hinted that she might come close to to returning that attraction, even threatening to kick her ass if the 'kiss' they had ever got out.
Did you consider the prospect of that is embaressing as hell for her? She's - cough - a Catholic you knoe. :p

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Did you consider the prospect of that is embaressing as hell for her? She's - cough - a Catholic you knoe. :p
I suppose. Though I'll say the biggest reason it all makes sense to me is because, with such a radical 180 of so many thoughts, beliefs, and emotions, it is only fitting that Ember would be attracted to the woman Yakone hated with a passion. It makes me wonder if Ember at least partially feels that way to subconsciously spite her former personality.

DarkGemini24601

I suppose. Though I'll say the biggest reason it all makes sense to me is because, with such a radical 180 of so many thoughts, beliefs, and emotions, it is only fitting that Ember would be attracted to the woman Yakone hated with a passion. It makes me wonder if Ember at least partially feels that way to subconsciously spite her former personality.
Pooootentially.

By the way, contrary to what he might have expected, I want to applaud @MarineAvenger on his solo with Leon. That felt so visceral and human... his impotent, powerless rage really resonated with me. That got me; I understood him.

Also Leon being in the brig is probably a good thing considering the bet Ember made with Elise.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Pooootentially.

By the way, contrary to what he might have expected, I want to applaud @MarineAvenger on his solo with Leon. That felt so visceral and human... his impotent, powerless rage really resonated with me. That got me; I understood him.

Also Leon being in the brig is probably a good thing considering the bet Ember made with Elise.
Sad thing is I was surprised Ember didn't offer to bring back Leon's head as proof. They likely don't realize it, but it seems to me that Yakone's list of people she loves the most is Ember's list of the people she needs to kill, and father you are up on the first list, the higher your number on the second.

Kinda reminds me of that episode were Bender turns into a werecar, and is supposed to kill his best friend, and Fry is happy Bender tries to kill him because that means they're best friends.

Fry: [gasping] Yes! He chose me! He's trying to kill me! Leela, I'm so happy! [Bender rams Fry's legs twice. Fry tumbles onto Bender's roof, through the sunroof and inside Bender. The seatbelt comes around him.] [talking] Oh, thanks, Bender. [The seatbelt chokes him.] [choking] Too tight! Too tight!

DarkGemini24601

Sad thing is I was surprised Ember didn't offer to bring back Leon's head as proof. They likely don't realize it, but it seems to me that Yakone's list of people she loves the most is Ember's list of the people she needs to kill, and father you are up on the first list, the higher your number on the second.

Kinda reminds me of that episode were Bender turns into a werecar, and is supposed to kill his best friend, and Fry is happy Bender tries to kill him because that means they're best friends.

Fry: [gasping] Yes! He chose me! He's trying to kill me! Leela, I'm so happy! [Bender rams Fry's legs twice. Fry tumbles onto Bender's roof, through the sunroof and inside Bender. The seatbelt comes around him.] [talking] Oh, thanks, Bender. [The seatbelt chokes him.] [choking] Too tight! Too tight!
Yeah. A lot of the things about Yakone were inverted to create Ember. She's simultaneously the worst parts of Yakone, and the reverse of the good parts.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Oh gosh Yakone...

oh, I'm sorry,' Ember'... Everytime I hear that name I can't help but think of the Dragon Princess from MLP...

She really is reverse Yakone though... But.. Is it bad that reverse Yakone is starting to remind me just a little of Mary? Or at least, this world's Mary.

You know what... she's Enokay! Oh that's way better than Ember...

Enokay! Sounds a little bit Inuit too, ironically...

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Yeah. A lot of the things about Yakone were inverted to create Ember. She's simultaneously the worst parts of Yakone, and the reverse of the good parts.
I would also say an accentuation of all the bad aspects as well. We all have our dark parts, but some of us are able to control them better then others. It is the difference between being insulted and sneering at someone you want to punch... and punching someone you want to punch... and in Ember's case, laughing at them as they pick up their teeth.

I had a question. If it is some kind of spoiler, just say so, but if not, why did you go with the name Ember? Or was that noted somewhere and I missed it?

DarkGemini24601

Oh gosh Yakone...

oh, I'm sorry,' Ember'... Everytime I hear that name I can't help but think of the Dragon Princess from MLP...

She really is reverse Yakone though... But.. Is it bad that reverse Yakone is starting to remind me just a little of Mary? Or at least, this world's Mary.

You know what... she's Enokay! Oh that's way better than Ember...

Enokay! Sounds a little bit Inuit too, ironically...
10/10 stream of consciousness.

DarkGemini24601

I would also say an accentuation of all the bad aspects as well. We all have our dark parts, but some of us are able to control them better then others. It is the difference between being insulted and sneering at someone you want to punch... and punching someone you want to punch... and in Ember's case, laughing at them as they pick up their teeth.
Mhmm. The worst of Yakone's Pride and Wrath manifest themselves in the demon - the siquttipaa - that is Ember.
I had a question. If it is some kind of spoiler, just say so, but if not, why did you go with the name Ember? Or was that noted somewhere and I missed it?
It's more of an OOC thing. The name "Ember" was listed on a page of 'female punk names' that I was sifting through when I decided reverse Yakone needed a unique name of her own. Also, an Ember is "a small piece of burning or glowing coal or wood in a dying fire", which represents how Yakone has been turned into a cold, hateful fire and is essentially dying a slow death trapped within this persona.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Mhmm. The worst of Yakone's Pride and Wrath manifest themselves in the demon - the siquttipaa - that is Ember.

It's more of an OOC thing. The name "Ember" was listed on a page of 'female punk names' that I was sifting through when I decided reverse Yakone needed a unique name of her own. Also, an Ember is "a small piece of burning or glowing coal or wood in a dying fire", which represents how Yakone has been turned into a cold, hateful fire and is essentially dying a slow death trapped within this persona.
Also it correlates to Desmond as well, but not dropping that spoiler yet.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

Gotcha. Of course, Yakone has another alternate name, but we both know you have another use for that one. ;)