OOC X-COM Think Tank (part 4)

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

So, they really went through with Yakone's Edgelord-ification.

oooh... Just reading this shit boiled my blood, it's a feeling I haven't had for a while, not since Buniq's capture or Ayame interrogation...

except this time I have a character who isn't so conflicted on the Ethereal Genocide thing, especially if the children are this evil... let's step up Marx's bloodthirst for his coming missions, should be great.

Marx's fighting style and appearance in combat is based on Jason Vorhees, movies he once saw as a kid, let's see if I can't make him live up to that a good deal more, hmm?

DarkGemini24601

So, they really went through with Yakone's Edgelord-ification.

oooh... Just reading this shit boiled my blood, it's a feeling I haven't had for a while, not since Buniq's capture or Ayame interrogation...

except this time I have a character who isn't so conflicted on the Ethereal Genocide thing, especially if the children are this evil... let's step up Marx's bloodthirst for his coming missions, should be great.

Marx's fighting style and appearance in combat is based on Jason Vorhees, movies he once saw as a kid, let's see if I can't make him live up to that a good deal more, hmm?
Yeeep, Ember is pretty edgy. Unlike Blukersey, though, who runs into a lot of cognitive dissonance trying to justify her absolute obedience to ADVENT, Ember is remarkably consistent in her extreme darwinism.

ExoGrim

Boy do I have a treat for you guys. Time for you to understand just how far Yakone's been twisted, and to watch a 'villain' be more virtuous than she.
I'm curious Gem, why did you pick Yakone out of all of your characters? Was this pre-planned or did you pick her at random?

DarkGemini24601

I'm curious Gem, why did you pick Yakone out of all of your characters? Was this pre-planned or did you pick her at random?
You mean in who I was going to brainwash? Well, Tomislav was too new for it to matter, Atka is the Commander, and I don't have any other major characters that are soldiers. In that respect she was the only one. But I did plan this all out (and my plans extend to the conclusion of the Ember affair as well, of course).

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Yeeep, Ember is pretty edgy. Unlike Blukersey, though, who runs into a lot of cognitive dissonance trying to justify her absolute obedience to ADVENT, Ember is remarkably consistent in her extreme darwinism.
That makes her Even more dangerous. Being motivated by bloodlust to boot makes her a scary opponent indeed.

DarkGemini24601

Ooh, elaboration on the backstories of Cathy and Marx's roommates. I like all the references thrown around to things familiar to our cast, such as Cross Technologies. And of course I love the usage of different megacities by name, really helps the world come to life. Nice to see Krystal isn't the paper-thin bitch that she seemed to be at first glance. And then Keloe echoes the stories of people torn from their homes simply because ADVENT didn't want to manage non-continental territories. Both of those girls have lost their family to the Avatar Project, and not only does it give them a reason to fight - but it unites them in that battle. As Azazel was saying - a point Ember couldn't easily refute - while the aliens may be stronger, the best humanity has to offer - unified - is a force to be reckoned with. And as long as they have hope, the Resistance can never be completely destroyed. *cue Salem going on about destroying Ozpin's small soul*

In particular, Marx's viewpoint on Ember really caught my attention. I don't disagree with him. The person that once was Yakone is far, far too dangerous to take lightly on the battlefield, and should not be 'coddled' when faced in combat. Atka wants to save her, and the fact that makes a middle ground between Marx and his CO (who ultimately has the final say) is that holding back against Ember is rather unnecessary. As you saw in Ember's training session, not only does her Overdrive make her highly durable, but her Crimson Regalia allows her to extend part of those regenerative powers to her armor as well. It's not going to be easy to deal a killing blow to her - therefore, holding back is entirely unnecessary and unwise.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

It's also called Past Tense... Cause we're talking about the past... like in past tense, but that past is also tense like stressful because of advent and-

It's took me way too long to come up with that title. :p

DarkGemini24601

It's also called Past Tense... Cause we're talking about the past... like in past tense, but that past is also tense like stressful because of advent and-

It's took me way too long to come up with that title. :p
Oh, believe me, I understand. My rule for making titles is that if possible, give them a double meaning.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Got one in myself. I hope you all enjoy. My characters' takes on current events. I have another solo planned. I might get to it today, but if I don't, I promise you'll see it tomorrow.

DarkGemini24601

Got one in myself. I hope you all enjoy. My characters' takes on current events. I have another solo planned. I might get to it today, but if I don't, I promise you'll see it tomorrow.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is my reason for doing this. The effect of losing Yakone in this manner was more profound than if she or another had perished. Watching people unravel and tensions rise gives us a window into the most visceral part of characters, and tests their resolve to its absolute limits. And while fractures formed on Zombie's cast of characters, I can tell that they won't break. They might be pushed to the cliff, but they will find ways to deal with the hand they were dealt, and right what is wrong.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is my reason for doing this. The effect of losing Yakone in this manner was more profound than if she or another had perished. Watching people unravel and tensions rise gives us a window into the most visceral part of characters, and tests their resolve to its absolute limits. And while fractures formed on Zombie's cast of characters, I can tell that they won't break. They might be pushed to the cliff, but they will find ways to deal with the hand they were dealt, and right what is wrong.
:oops:

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Oh, in SoD he would've been an ally, but uh, not in this one!

Makes sense, this is a much grimmer universe, so much that psudo-suicide was his best bet.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Here is a solo for you guys that I think articulates Leon feelings about the whole situation concisely.

Don't read until you finish the solo.
Yeah, the frustrations of all the past shit he has gone through has come to a head in this piece. Leon isn't a person to let go of torment, and came close to losing it with Yakone's capture. Her conversion was the last straw that led to this psionically fueled rampage. You might be wondering, 'Okay, what the fuck? This seems out of character, I hate this solo and-' Hold up, shut up, me talky time. There's deeper meaning to this whole episode of his. One I plan on showing in a colab hopefully soon. For now, if you want to colab Leon it will understandibly be done from the brig. Good day.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
New colab up to follow up Tax's glorious mission. Enjoy feeling extremely frustrated :p
I enjoyed it. The banter was fun, the tendency for becoming evil to switch or open up your sexual preference is weird but amusing. And I really appreciated the quick but evident reference to Daniel Hunnigan. It didn't slip my notice.

But... I couldn't help but feel... uneasy for the first part, listening to Desmond and Ember talk to each other. Made my stomach churn, which might have been the point. I just really wish what was said to Desmond to make him agree to this. And if it wasn't much, and he knows exactly what happened and is okay with it... I have to admit, Desmond lost quite a few sympathy points. I mean, every single other person but Desmond I don't care about, but he is the one person in ADVENT that shouldn't be okay with this. Am I misunderstanding? Does he not realize or comprehend that the daughter he told he was proud of, the daughter he said he would protect, and the daughter he was willing to spit in the face of the Elder's for is, for a lack of a better term, dead? Buried beneath what is essentially a facsimile with her memories but none of the girl that was his daughter, and in many ways is the exact opposite? Does he not realize that who she is has been stripped away, and she has been turned into a monster, a rage filled, murderous shadow of what she was? Does he not understand that his wish for her to realize he was right and join his side did not come to pass because she is under a power, mind altering mind control.

Or does he understand this... and is really the kind of disgusting excuse for a human being that doesn't care as long as he gets the pleasure of his daughter by his side, hallow as that might be?