X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrismaCube

Okay okay okay, hold on xD I'm thrilled that people are joining my idea of X-COM RP. I also love that idea from Marine with the whole 4 men squad or whatever xD (Sorry only skimmed through). The whole reason why I wanted to do this is to break some of the X-COM rules. Have a free imagination in the X-COM universe. Since this is all free thought and not vid. driven, you can handle the story. Say you are the leader of a X-COM squad team, you play all four members or whatever, and you lose someone. You can decide how they die. It's free thought, not what happens in the vid. But then again that is my thought, and again I'm glad so many of you are willing to join me, and so I do think we would need a GM, and set up the whole thing together before we continue. However if we do ever get to the RP point I will play EXALT :D.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Okay okay okay, hold on xD I'm thrilled that people are joining my idea of X-COM RP. I also love that idea from Marine with the whole 4 men squad or whatever xD (Sorry only skimmed through). The whole reason why I wanted to do this is to break some of the X-COM rules. Have a free imagination in the X-COM universe. Since this is all free thought and not vid. driven, you can handle the story. Say you are the leader of a X-COM squad team, you play all four members or whatever, and you lose someone. You can decide how they die. It's free thought, not what happens in the vid. But then again that is my thought, and again I'm glad so many of you are willing to join me, and so I do think we would need a GM, and set up the whole thing together before we continue. However if we do ever get to the RP point I will play EXALT :D.
I am fine with you playing EXALT, it is an oppurtunity to show them not as a evil terrorist group made of clones but people who really cae for the well being of humanity. (Or just fuck all and say they are an evil bunch of bastards)

Frostlich1228

I am fine with you playing EXALT, it is an oppurtunity to show them not as a evil terrorist group made of clones but people who really cae for the well being of humanity. (Or just fuck all and say they are an evil bunch of bastards)

Yeah I think EXALT Actually have good intentions, I like to Think of EXALT as a sort of Pro-Human Organization that fights the X-Com because they Object to our use of Meld to augment our soldiers.
I think their abilities don't come from Alien DNA, we have never seen aliens with those powers in game, I might be overanalyzing everything though, I tend to do that from time to time. :/

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Yeah I think EXALT Actually have good intentions, I like to Think of EXALT as a sort of Pro-Human Organization that fights the X-Com because they Object to our use of Meld to augment our soldiers.
I think their abilities don't come from Alien DNA, we have never seen aliens with those powers in game, I might be overanalyzing everything though, I tend to do that from time to time. :/
Honestly I always thought they fought XCOM because they thought that instead of fighting and getting potentially wiped out they wanted to submit to their rule instead of having that chance of extinction.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I'm not sure about that. I always got the impression that they saw the potential for the aliens to advance humanity with things like meld, and technically that's what the aliens wanted to do, with humans becoming a new addition to their army. EXALT probably figured if they sided with them, they'd get to be the leaders of humanity.

PrismaCube

Well I would have to look over my old plans for Exalt with Lucette, but I still think that Lucette will seem like a bad guy, only she is a good guy in her eyes, and I think it was something about being the best in technology or something like that, anyway I planned it all out months ago, I even had a cross over to another X-COM universe that thing the aliens are more of a god, which is why I was so excited to tell the story, but I never got to. I mean fuck I would write a book about it xD

DarkGemini24601

Well, in the vanilla they do fight aliens, sorta intending to adapt their technology, fight them back, and advance humanity on their own terms. That's how it seemed to me. Long War has them be alien collaborators, which makes Operation Progeny make zero sense. xD

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Last Day on the Job: Part One

"Welcome to EXALT. I see a lot of potential in front of me, but you'll need more then just potential. You'll need strength. Determination. Cunning. But most of all, your best chance at survival is your loyalty to the EXALT cause."

Jackie's eyes darted around the room. He could see the older staff looking away from the presentation to avoid anyone seeing their rolling eyes. They'd heard the same lecture a hundred times. None of them were as tired of it then Jackie, though. He had hoped once he decided to devote himself to the cause, his misgivings would fade with time. But somehow, hearing what he was supposed to believe just seemed to make it worse.

"EXALT is devoted to the betterment of mankind by any means possible. At it's core, EXALT exists on the idea that humanity is too misguided, too uncoordinated, too ill to survive on it's own for much longer. Someone had to make the tough decisions, do what others were too weak, to stupid to do on their own. One organization needed to be exalted, raised above the morals of everyday society, and lead humanity into the future. That organization is EXALT."

Jackie scanned the group of new soldiers with wide, questioning eyes. God, what a bunch of mindless sheep, ready to through their lives away over a pretty speech. Of course, mindless or not, I'm still a sheep like them, aren't I?

"EXALT has had many, many successes over the years, even from the shadows. The bombing of the Chinese Embassy in England in 1964. The Tokyo Subway attack in '73. The 1986 assassination of the Russian ambassador to America. The complete crash of the Pentagon computer systems in 1999. The manipulation of the U.S. presidency from 2001 until 2008. The...silencing of that little leak we had the Saint Thomas Church in New York city in 2010."

Bunch of self-centered, egocentric monsters. But what's worse? The people who do this thinking they're right, or someone who goes along with it knowing it's wrong.

"But now, with the aliens, we have the best chance to bring our dreams to fruition. Naturally, in order for them to have achieved their level of technological advancement, they had to have reached what we have longed for for so long. It is our belief that they've come here with just those thoughts in mind. But our narrow-minded opponents in X-COM our doing everything they can to destroy our dreams. Remember that the first full-scale attacks came after X-COM interfered with them one too many times, yet we have had zero confrontations with our visitors. And this is why all current EXALT resources are being directed towards the destruction of X-COM. Now, I want you all to hit the shooting gallery. We're going to start finding your proper classes right away."

As the soldiers shuffled out of the room, Jackie rubbed the bridge of his nose. The Commander walked up behind him and said, "Impressive as always, Colonel McGurn. You felling alright."

Jackie nodded slowly. "Yes sir, just a little tired. I just...tired."

The Commander patted Jackie on the shoulder. "Well, that's because you're such a hard worker. That's why I made you my second officer so quickly, after all."

First officer, you blithering idiot. Did Picard ever call Ricker "Number Two"?

"Thank you, sir," Jacob responded without missing a beat. Suddenly remembering something that had been on his mind, he asked, "Sir, can I talk to you about something in private?"

"Of course, my boy!" Jackie led the Commander into the main Computer Processor room. The Commander motioned for the staff to exit, and after they had gone, asked, "So what's on your mind, my boy."

Stop calling me that, you're, what, ten years older then me?

"Sir, I started working with communications and records on the new changes I proposed to our information handling, but they, um, don't seem to know what I'm talking about, and I can't find any of the changes."

The Commander nodded his head. "I'm afraid that is because I commissioned them deleted."

You did WHAT?!

Jackie struggled to hide the desperation in his voice. "Sir, why? We need those to protect us from hacking. I tried to tell you this in my report, and I figured when you didn't get back to me the second time I sent you a message about it, that I had the go-ahead."

The Commander smiles. "An honest mistake, my boy. Just be more careful in the future. Otherwise, no harm done."

"I...can't believe..." Jackie closed his eyes and took a moment to compose himself. "Sir, our current set up is a security risk. A major one. Our reliance on the alien technology we've acquired could be the death of us. It might make our systems faster and more efficient, but X-COM has been fighting them for nearly a year now. They're just as adept at detecting they're signatures as we are, and they're using that fact to find us."

The Commander waves his hand toward Jackie. DON'T dismiss me like some low level lackey! "Colonel, you worry too much. There is little need to compromise efficiency for such a minor threat. We're practically knocking on X-COM's door, and even if by some miracle they get to us first, we're more then capable..."

"Sir!" Jackie took a step forward, his firsts clenched in rage. "With all due respect, don't you think you're gambling with our future. You can't let your arrogance put EXALT in jeopardy!"

"I AM EXALT!" The Commander yelled suddenly, showing a rage Jackie had never seen before. "Arising to this position was not undeserving! I am here because what I was chosen as he who would be exalted over the exalted! How dear you doubt me?"

"Are you mad! Compromise efficiency? You've compromised everything! And sadly, I'm not even sure why I'm surprised" Jackie swings his arm back, pointing at the door with a hand shaking in fury. "Any minute now, someone could come charging through that door and tell us..."

"Commander!" Shouted a secretary, charging through the door. "It's X-COM. They've found us! They're about to breach the roof as we speak!"

"What!" The Commander's eyes darted back and forth in confused thought. "How did they get up here so fast, and why was I not alerted when they first got here?"

The secretary shook her head. "You don't understand. They did just get here. They used a dropship, probably remote controlled, to distract our AA weaponry. The dropship containing their forces then rose from the side of the building and landed. They must have been practically skimming the ground to avoid detection."

A small explosion could be heard outside, and the secretary ran out. As Jackie walks forward to follow, the Commander shakes his head and puts on a nervous smile. "None of this matters. As I said, this is a minor setback. This is our base, and even if they sent their entire force, they stand zero..." Jackie slowly closed the door before him. "What are doing, Colonel. We need to get out there and command the troops."

Turning back towards the Commander, Jackie slowly pulled a large knife from sheath on his boot. Examining it, he asked, "I don't suppose you remember this knife, do you?" Without bothering to wait for an answer, he continued, "This is the knife pulled from the chest of my commanding officer after my first mission. I asked you if I could keep it as a reminder of my near disastrous first day on the job. Truth is, I was hoping we'd be able to help X-COM see the light one day, and I'd have the chance to return it. You see, I was sparred because my weakness inadvertently distracted my fellow soldiers long enough to give their executioner the upper hand." Jackie squeezed the hilt hard enough for the Commander to hear an audible pop of one of his knuckles. "But now it might all end today because of the arrogance and incompetence of the man who we were all supposed to put our faith in!"

The Commander reached for his side arm. By the time he had pulled it from it's holster and raised it, Jackie had already closed the distance between them. With a swift swipe of his arm and a flick of the wrist, the Commander's weapon fell to the ground, along with his index and middle finger. "Oh, God, please, don't!" The Commander dropped to his knees.

Look at him, whimpering like a frightened child. He's worse then I was when I first started here, and he's supposed to be the Commander? Pathetic.

Jackie shook his head. "You know, I'm sure I'm supposed to say something right now, some kind of speech about how I'm relieving you of duty. But quite frankly, I don't think you're worth it." With a violent stab, Jackie thrust the knife into the Commander's chest. The Commander looked down at it in horror. Huh. Guess she had some practice killing people with a single thrust. Jackie shrugged. Oh well, I'm patient. Jackie yanked he knife from the Commander's chest and thrust it in again. And again. And again. And again.

Around the tenth stab, a female analyst walked in. "What have you done!" She looked down and grabbed the pistol from her holster. Raising her head, she looked back and forth in confusion, Jackie having disappeared from sight.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Last Day on the Job: Part Two

Having dashed to the side and behind her, Jackie wrapped his hand around the back of her neck, lifting her in the air and slapping her gun away with his free hand. "I'm sure if you were a soldier, you would have known not to take your eye off an opponent like that." Walking over to the Commander's body, he said, "You know, I'd be more sorry about this if you didn't constantly report to the Commander about my actions. I'd be willing to bet your the one who deleted my changes on his behalf."

The woman smiled weakly as Jackie pulled out his sidearm. "Go...to...Hell..." Jackie fired six shots into the woman's back, then a final one into the back of her head.

Moment after Jackie had dropped her onto the Commander, two soldiers ran in. "What happened!" The first yelled.

"Patty, she...she murdered the Commander!" Jackie pushed the woman's body to the side and pulled the Commander onto his lap. "How could she do this? Why now?" He closed the Commander's eyes, and said in disgust, "How unforgiving. For him to have to fall to an EXALT knife."

"No, Colonel, look." The second soldier picked up the knife from the ground and handed it to Jackie. "This knife has the X-COM logo on it!"

"Of course!" Jackie punched the ground in rage. "She must be a spy. And to think she was one of the Commander's most trusted crew members." Gently placing the Commander on the ground, Jackie climbed to his feet and headed for the door. Over his shoulder, he said, "This base needs a leader right now. Join me out there after you've barricaded this room. We need to make sure the Commander's body stays safe in here so he can have a proper burial." Jackie quickly walked out of the room. Cracking his knuckles, he said to himself, "Now let's see if I can salvage this."

(An hour later)

"Colonel, I don't know how much longer we can hold them!"

Jackie looked around the main command center. He sneered angrily at the flickering hologlobe as though everything was it's fault. "We need to do something to turn the tide. Stay here and cover me." He quickly dashed to right, diving through the doors before him, barely avoiding a shot in the back.

As he quickly made his way through the soldier's lounge, he flinched at the sounds of gun fire and explosions around him, X-COM destroying the base that Jackie now controlled. Not content with his reign being the shortest in history, he stepped up the pace. But as he reached the center of the room, he stopped at the sudden feeling that he was not alone, that familiar tingle of his bioelectic skin running through his body. Resisting the urge to start firing around the room randomly, he closed his eyes and trusted his hearing and instincts. A few moments later, he turned 180 and pointed his handgun forward. He could vaguely see another soldier aiming at him, nearly invisible thanks to mimetic skin. "You again!" Shouts a familiar voice.

As his opponent dropped her cloak, Jackie chuckled loudly. "Barbara, right? Or do you prefer Barb?" Jackie's eye's momentarily dart towards her rank insignia. "Lieutenant, huh? I see you've moved up through the ranks. I'd make a joke about outranking you know, but to be honest, my Commander is...was kind of an idiot, so my rank doesn't mean much."

"And I see you didn't take my advice." Hannigan sneers at Jackie. "You're still wearing that fucking ridiculous uniform. Seriously, you're a black-op group wearing something that makes you stick out like Thin Man in Munchkinville. If you weren't going to take my advice about reassessing your choices, you could have at least tried to fight your superiors to change into something less conspicuous."

"Oh, but I did, on both counts." Jackie steadied his hands, keeping an eye on Hannigan's trigger finger. "Trust me, I thought about my situation. Long and hard. I looked at what EXALT was, and what it stood for. And I decided that, between them and X-COM, EXALT had the right idea about the aliens, they were just going about it the wrong way. I needed to stay with them, to do what I can to set them on the right path."

"Stay with these monsters?" Hannigan shakes her head slightly. "Do you know how many good people have died because of you?"

"Good people?" Jackie smirks. "You're the one who said the decision about who's good and bad was best left for after the war. Besides, you can't just expect things to get better unless you're willing to work at it and make the necessary changes. That's what EXALT is all about. But they forgot that they had to keep themselves in check too. You know, when I reached the rank of major, I came across a group of my men pulling the same shit as the guys you took out all those months ago. I executed them myself on the spot. And as for the uniform? What can I say? It grows on you."

"We found a female soldier surrounded by a group of dead EXALTs, but she was already dead."

"Of course she was." Jackie raised an eyebrow. "I executed her as well."

Hannigan clenched her teeth. "Her name was Clara, and she was my best friend."

"And? Are you trying to make me feel bad for striking down an enemy?" Jackie narrowed his eyes. "You told me that if I had my weapon trained on an opponent, I should pull the trigger. I let her live, and she has the opportunity to kill me another day."

Hannigan took a short step forward. "I was hoping to turn what I saw as a decent man towards a better path."

"You wanted to convince a good man to do what was right, and in my eyes, that's exactly what I did."

The pair stood in silence for several moments. Taking a deep breath, Hannigan asked, "So what happens now? Do we just stand here hoping that our respective allies will come first?"

"I'm not sure to be honest." Jackie lightly shruged. "I don't want to die today, but I don't want to kill you either. In my eyes, you didn't owe me a thing when you speared me, so I'm still in your debt."

"Well, I have my orders, and I have no plans of backing down. I'm afraid we aren't both getting out of this alive."

Hannigan slowly moved her index finger over the trigger, Jackie doing the same. The pair continued to stare at one another. After a minute, Hannigan's hands started to lightly shake. Seeing his chance, Jackie dropped to one knee. Hannigan darts backwards and takes cover behind a pillar as Jackie opens fire. Jackie walks backward until he reaches a pillar of his own. "What's wrong, Lieutenant? Maybe that low rank is for a reason."

"Shut it!" Hannigan fires wildly towards Jackie, not bothering to aim.

"Don't tell me you're all bark and no bite, Barb. You have to have more field experience then this, right?"

"Of course I do!" Hannigan's clip went dry in the middle of firing. She rapidly reloaded, cursing softly.

"That's why you were a spy, huh? Good actor, but little fighting skills." Jackie peaked out from his cover. Seeing his opponent still fumbling with her weapon, he fired rapidly at her with his hand gun, unloading on her while pulling out a grenade with his free hand. Pulling the pin, he ran forward, firing with one hand while tossing the grenade past Hannigan with the other. She lets out out a loud yelp at the explosions as Jackie runs up behind her and slams into her shoulder first. Her rifled slid away from her, and she slowly crawled backwards, looking up at Jackie with cowering eyes.

Jackie looked down at his defeated foe. He grabed his rifle off his back and takes aim. Looking into her terrified eyes, he mumbled, "I'm sorry. I really didn't want it to end like this." Letting out a deep sigh, Jackie steadied his aim, and at the sound of two gunshots, dropped to his knees, a sudden pain running through both his lower legs. His eyes darted down at Hannigan's left hand, and the smoking DoubleTap Derringer in it. Struggling to fight the pain and re-aim, Hannigan raised her right hand and pressed down on a remote trigger, detonating a sticky bomb on the pillar she had been hiding behind. Jackie took the entirety of the explosion to his back, launching him up an over Hannigan and landing hard on his back.

Jackie looked up at the ceiling. He tired to sit up, but realized he couldn't move anything below his neck. Hannigan slowly stood up, dusting herself up and retrieving her weapon. As she stood of Jackie and reloaded, she softly said, "Just because I'm a good actor doesn't mean I can't also fight."

Jackie laughed weakly, coughing up some blood as he did so. "You're right," he whispered. "That was a good trick. You beat me fair and square."

Hannigan kneeled down next to him. "Mostly because you hesitated. When you mentioned you outranked me, I knew it was too risky to try and fight you out right."

Jackie nodded. "I guess I never did learn, huh?" His eyes darted down. "My...boot holster." Hannigan cautiously pulled the knife from it's sheath and examined it. "I always...wanted to...return..." Jackie closed his eyes, falling silent.

Hannigan checked Jackie's pulse, then rose to her feet. "Thanks," she said quietly, flipping it in the air.

Three X-COM soldiers ran into the room. One of them stepped forward and said, "Commander, we've taken the base. I believe EXALT is done for." He shakes his head. "I still think it was a bad idea for you to come along."

"Staying on base didn't save the former Commander did it?" Hannigan looked down at Jackie. "Besides, this was a very important, very dangerous mission. I had to lead it myself

Looking at Jackie himself, the soldier asked. "Someone you know?"

Hannigan nods. "Yeah. Someone I tried to help a long time ago. But I'm afraid you can't save everyyone. Shame, too. He was a good man"

"We believe we found the Commander of the base," the soldier said. "He was already dead. It looked like he had been stabbed to death."

Hannigan looked at the dried blood on her knife again. She shrugs lightly, then motions for the others to follow her as she heads towards the command room.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Well I would have to look over my old plans for Exalt with Lucette, but I still think that Lucette will seem like a bad guy, only she is a good guy in her eyes, and I think it was something about being the best in technology or something like that, anyway I planned it all out months ago, I even had a cross over to another X-COM universe that thing the aliens are more of a god, which is why I was so excited to tell the story, but I never got to. I mean fuck I would write a book about it xD
And I would absolutely LOVE to have the agent mission being collaborated with you those could potentially be really riveting stories.

PrismaCube

It's good to be back :) I've certainly missed you all :D

Alright now let's all move over to the new forum, I think it's time for this chapter to close ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.