Hunters of Terra Dolor (Role Playing Section)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Trials of an Ophidian Teen
Part Fifteen

Kayumi leaned against the door frame of Orochi’s bedroom, his eyebrow firmly raised as he flipped his pinkish blonde hair over his shoulder as he was binding it together, “He doesn’t love you, yet here you are trying to pick out a wedding gown?”

“Oh, hush, you!” The snake goddess danced a bit in front of her full length mirror, admiring the dress she was wearing. “Don’t ruin this for me. I just picked up his scent again after fifteen years. It is different. He’s stronger. Even more worthy of me.” She sighed, holding her hand to her chest. “The one that got away. I was so furious at first, but as that faded away… I just wanted him more and more. And now he’s back.”

“Our newest demigod doesn’t want you though. And now he has Jerin’dek’s protection. You won’t get close to him. Your brother has been laying plans for fifteen years now trying to get him killed. He almost succeeded when his uncle’s camp was destroyed, but he wasn’t even there. He was in the capital. And then when they try and kill him, they poison his fake mother instead. Honestly, you’d think they would give up by now. The only way he will ever accept you is if you actually become his pet and throw yourself at his feet. Something we both know you are not capable of doing. Just let your brother kill him and get a couple of more snake pets to forget.”

“Hmph!” Orochi turned to him and placed her hands on her hips. “I will do nothing of the sort! Yig… I had such admiration for him years ago. But this stupid vendetta is… is so infuriating!” She sighed. “And it is my fault for the anger I felt for him. I was the one who wanted him dead, and now Yig won’t stop.” She shook her head. “I will not stand for it. I do not care if Jerin’dek and Yig are both more powerful then me, I won’t let them stand in my way! I’ll find a way…” She folded her hands together. “After all, Jerin can’t stop me if he wants to see me. And even Yig won’t hurt him… once he is my husband.”

The amalgamation of evil strode into the room, waving his hand. Her dresses floated from the floor and to her closet, even the ornate one Orochi had on, leaving her bare. “Look, Yig will not stop because he wants you as his bride. Hehe… even you cannot be blind by the fact he wants a union to bring about a new Elder God. And you also know more than anyone that what your brother wants, he usually takes by force.” Kayumi said to put fear in the goddess’ heart.

Orochi covered herself with her hands, even the sibling of an Old One not immune to modesty. “I-I… I won’t let him. I will not wed him. I would not wed any other Elder God, especially not my brother. He… h-he won’t have me.” She looked into Kayumi’s eyes. “You can stop him. He is not like the other Old Ones. He is no stronger than a Terrian God, which means his power is nothing compared to yours.”

“Unfortunately for you, father would not appreciate me killing his creations. If he were to wake to reprimand me… well, your precious would be screwed along with everything in the universe.” He reached out, grabbing her cheeks forcefully, “I also don’t particularly care if he comes in the night and takes you against your will. You are even weaker than he. So there is only one alternative. I can disguise you and your magic. But I can only do it once before he catches on someone is helping you evade him. So… take my gift, try to woo the boy by getting close to the people in his guild and marry him, or fail and usher in a new Elder through that precious hole you saved for a husband.” he released her, stepping back. “You have a choice. Remain, or take my offer.”

Orochi hesitated. Losing her status here, even temporarily, was appealing, and Kayumi was well known for his trickery, and as one who could not be trusted. But the only thing greater than her blind obsession for Lyr was her fear of what her brother was capable of. “I… I’ll do it. Anything to win my love’s heart.”

“Well then…” He formed a portal nearby Orochi. “I will have my… friend give you a remodeling. A chance to give yourself the makeover you always dreamed for. Do not waste my gift Orochi. Get captured by Yig, and no one will come to save you. Life is not a fairy tale, especially for your kind.” he waved his hand to urge her towards the portal, still naked.

Again she hesitated, but only for a moment before rushing into the portal.

When it closed behind her, Kayumi laughed, stepping through a portal and into the bathroom of Xia’tar. The air was heavy with steam, and seeing the goddess relax in the bath made his unannounced entrance about to be all the more amusing. “Hello dear.”

Xia yelped, wrapping her hands over her chest and ducking down a bit. “D-do you mind? Have you no tact! Geez…”

“You do realize who you talk to, yes?” Kayumi asked with a raised eyebrow, crossing his arms across his chest.

She sulked down a bit more. “My… new buddy? Right?”

“Ouch… that hurts my non-existent heart.” He walked to the door and opened it up, looking into the bedroom. “Ah, I see you and the King continue to not share a room. I must say, after a millennia I am surprised you haven’t just taken my brother. It isn’t like gods aren’t promiscuous. Your daughters tend to be prime examples. Sabaron, Aratenda…” he listed off.

“Your brother is precious to me,” she mumbled. “I will not use him as a simple sex… thing. Besides, you’d be promiscuous too if you were a woman in the prime of her life for eternity. I simply wish they were there for their children more. Sabaron is trying with her daughter now, but I worry it is too late…” She blinked a few times and shook her head, realizing she was venting to Kayumi like she did to his brother. “Anyway, what do you… I mean, how can I help you?”

“Hm… it bores me you no longer bother with rudeness. At least Ranseca has the decency to spit on me from time to time before dashing away realizing what she did. Anyways, I am here to tell you the task is done. Your little champion should be safe. I know you said keep Orochi or Yig away but I had to… make some amendments to that plan.”

“What amendments?” Xia sat up again, not even bothering to cover herself. “We just got him. He is very important, both the youngest and the first Ophidian in almost two thousand years. We can not lose him to that mad Elder or his bratty sister, but if we move against Yig, the other Elder Gods will give us trouble.”

“Which is why I did the next best thing. After… twisting Ledono’s arm a bit, I got her to agree to mask Orochi from both Elder and Terrian gods. She is on a mission I assigned her to do. Yig wants her so badly that he will give up his plans to kill the boy to search for his sister.” Kayumi’s smirk gave away there was a catch.

“That is a good plan, actually.” Xia sat back in relief. “But… what else is there? There is always something more with you. What is this mission you gave her?”

“Well… she wanted to marry the boy so I gave her the chance to woo his heart. If she fails, her disguise falters, Yig finds her. So I hope she doesn’t fail.” Kayumi said with a giggle.

“Seems like you're playing with fire, Kayumi. Besides, what happens if she succeeds? Our newest demigod hooks up with an Elder God, lesser though she might be.”

“Then you have a lesser Elder God on your side now.” he said with a shrug. “Is that so bad? She likes to think she is the one in control while always deferring to a higher power. She is the worst kind of follower; the one who thinks she is actually in control. I wonder if she will be able to put that aside for love. If she fails, Yig will force her to birth a new Elder.”

“Which we definitely do not want.” Xia smiled. “Thank you, Kayumi. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but… I’m glad I could count on you for this.”

He smiled again, “Luckily, I already know how this ends. I could show you if you desire. You may be surprised. And I know you hate surprises with how controlling you like to be”

She folded her arms. “Well, I don’t want to know this time. I want to be surprised. And no, it isn’t because you said what you said… even if it contributes a little bit.”

“Hmph… too bad. You’re missing out on a doozy.” He slowly formed a portal. “Jerin wouldn’t want to see anyways either. You two are too similar in that regard.” Kayumi said meaningfully to spite her pride.

She scrunched her nose in irritation. “You always know how to take one last jab at me to close out a visit, don’t you?”

“Well to be fair, I do not like it when people bore me.” he responded back to her. “It isn’t my fault you made the choice he would make as well.”

She smiled an unamused smile. “Goodbye, Kayumi. I’ll remember to be rudder to you next time so I don’t bore you. Just don’t get mad at me for it.”

The amalgamation scowled, quickly leaving through the passage he made. When it closed behind him, no sooner than a second later another formed, his opposite half entering in with a scowl. “I hate sharing that one’s thoughts. What he saw… it is better you didn’t experience it Mistress…”

“No doubt.” She looked over to him. “Have I ever told you how happy I am that I got you instead of him?”

“No. But you have told me about the fantasies of subjecting him like me.” the amalgamation of good noted tiredly. “But you should be warned… he did see something disturbing I think you should know about in advance to plan for…”

“Is that so?” The goddess grabbed a towel and wrapped it around herself as she rose out of the tub. “Then by all means tell me.”

“Mistress… Kayumi saw Orochi giving birth…” Kagami noted grimly. “And the father was not mortal.” From the look of terror Xia’tar had on her face, he almost wished he had said nothing at all.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Black0ut & ZombieSplitter53
How to Make Friends Easily
Part One

Havenbrook Manor/Guildhouse
August 2nd, 3349
10:14 a.m.

Swish, swish, swish. The feather duster went back and forth, back and forth. It was a slow job, somewhat boring. And people tended to ignore you, like you weren't even there. In other words, it was a perfect job for Marlena.

Since master Davon had returned to Serasam, she decided to go with him. She had learned much from his two servants, but everyone agreed time with a larger staff would do her good. She said that was a good idea, but secretly just wanted to follow him. Since the unfortunate parting of him and Arlia, following her decision to spend to back home, helping to clean the filth of Stormrend and its growing criminal underbelly, Marlena had worried about Davon. She didn't know him well enough to be certain, but she knew he cared about his now ex, and wanted to be ready should he need someone to confide in, like she had confided in him.

And so, she meticulously cleaned around the priceless items in the Havenbrook Manor. So joyful was she that she failed to watch where she was walking, and bumped into someone hard enough to knock her on her butt.

Jay leaned hard on his staff, nearly falling over himself. Turning around, he groaned at the girl who had bumped him. Offering a hand to her, he grumbled something under his breath.

She shot him a dirty look and rose to her feet on her own. "I... apologize, sir. It was clumsy of me. It will not happen again." There was a tone in her voice, one that seemed to imply she was mad at him for some reason.

The Light Elf raised an eyebrow, evidently not liking her tone. "Y'know, saying you're sorry and then acting like you're angry at me doesn't exactly make me believe you." The Light Elf went and sat at the base of the wall, his leg beginning to hurt.

"Hey, it was an accident! Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean you can talk to...!" Marlena squeezed her eyes shut. "I... I'm sorry. Really, I just... it's hard... I'm sorry."

"You think I wouldn't talk to a man the same way? Listen... I'm an asshole of equality, which means I'm an asshole to everyone on an equal level. So, let's hear why you think I'm picking on you in particular."

"No, no, please!" Marlena held her hands together. "I-I just got this job, a-and Lady Havenbrook is keeping a close eye on me for... f-for reasons. Please, I can't lose this job."

"Then... how about we go to my room and you can explain yourself there?" Jay offered, as he struggled to get up.

"Your r-room?" Marlena looked him up and down. He had a bum leg, so she could outrun him. And if he tried something, being alone meant she could take him out without witnesses. "O-okay. You, uh... look like you need to sit down anyway."

"Don't... worry about me. Its been like that for many, many years." The Light Elf hobbled down the hall, leaning heavily on his staff to avoid falling, all the while not keeping an eye on the girl to see if she was following.

Marlena sighed, and decided to take her chances. She slowly followed behind, keeping enough distance to avoid him if need be as they made their way to Jay's room.

On the way, Jay stumbled and fell, his leg getting worse. With a groan, his staff flashed and soon the Light Elf was lifted up by a pool of water that floated and carried him through the air. "Damn leg... I'll be nearly drained when we get there..." The Light Elf grumbled, rubbing his leg with his free hand.

Marlena bit her lip. "Are... you okay? Do you need help? It's... kinda my job. I'm the 'help'."

"No.... I'm fine. Just... tired." The Light Elf said with exhaustion evident in his voice, as they reached his, or rather, Titania's door. Opening the door, the Light Elf ventured inside, before promptly setting himself down on a bed. "So... mind telling me why you freaked out there?"

"I... don't like men," Marlena said bluntly. "But I have to work with them, I understand this. And I've done some bad things in the past, things that Master Davon insisted we be open about with Lady Havenbrook. So if she heard I was making trouble..."

"...You'd be fired." Jay finished, raising his head to look at her. "One last question: why follow me to my room? You don't know me, and I could be an unsavory character, why risk it?"

Marlena squeezed her fists. "Honestly? Because if you tried to touch me, I could kill you here where no one would know."

"You'd try to kill a mage... which in itself is a bad move, but in a room where people would eventually come into? Seems like a bad idea. Also," Jay grinned, as a watery hand poked the woman's back before fading away, "I'm stupid, somewhat suicidal, and currently in a bad mood. Although I would never hit a lady first, 'cause that isn't right."

Marlena folded her arms. "Well, then... does that make you one of the few good ones? One who treats women with respect." She narrowed her eyes. "Or do you simply see women as weak. Never hit a woman first because they are naturally weak, and the stronger men should never hit the weaker women first?"

"What do you think? You seem to know how men operate." Jay replied emotionlessly, summoning more hands to poke the women into a reaction.

Marlena stepped forward. "Stop it. You're making me mad. And you're starting to make me think you're not one of the good ones."

"Oh, I'm not. All the good memories were beaten out of me, four decades and some change ago. My only good qualities are wanting to die, and maybe, just maybe, living to make someone I care for happy. Beyond that.. well, I might as well be trash." The Light Elf taunted, continuing the poking with his magic.

"Stop it!" Marlena yelled, getting far angrier then she should have. "Stop, or I'll have to kick your ass!"

"Then do it! I only have one person to live for anyways, and with how I've been acting recently, she might be better off with someone else!" Jay's voice went higher than Marlena's, but carried a bit of pain with it, as the poking continued.

"I said stop it, you bastard!" Marlena held out her hands, and random objects around the room flew together to form a humanoid shape, one that charged the Light Elf.

The Light Elf took the blow, and didn't try to defend himself, instead merely smiling as the creature towered above him. "That's right... do your worse. Make sure it's as painful as possible."

Marlena's puppet lifted him by his collar and punched him in the gut. "I thought you were a great sorcerer!" Marlena shouted. "Show me, jackass!"

Jay coughed and held his stomach for a moment before glaring up at the puppet, "Why? Why would I show you anything at this point, be it my magic or something else in it's entirety? Let me guess you're too afraid of killing someone who won't fight back, so you want me to use magic so you have an excuse. Sorry, but if you're going to do it, you'll have to kill a defenseless cripple."

Marlena held up her fist, as did the puppet. "You... y-you think your teasing isn't enough! I-I'm not a-afraid to kill anyone! I've done it before!"

"Then why are you holding back?" Jay asked, as he turned his gaze to Marlena.

Marlena's arm shook, tears starting to roll down her scarred cheeks. "Y-you... I hate you... I... I-I..."

Slowly, she lowered her arm. The puppet fell apart, its individual parts floating back to where they we're, while Marlena collapsed to her knees.

Jay crawled off his bed towards the woman, and upon getting close to her, merely held her. "Not probably the best idea to threaten a suicidal mage... but I understand that we men must seem like stupid assholes, and in truth, we are, but not all of us are mean or crude. Some of us are nice... you can hate me if you want."

Marlena sobbed softly. "No... no, it's... it's me. I'm the one who is wrong. I just... can't let go..."

"I doubt it. A more cruel person wouldn't have let me off so lightly. Now... what happened to make you so angry at men in general?"

"My husband... used me. Let his friends use me. He... gave me my scars. They needed extensive surgery just to get them to this level, and after so much money, I still look like this. But the worse scars are... inside. And they'll never go away..."

"That may be true, but you can deaden those painful memories and make the pain fade somewhat." Jay said somewhat sweetly.

Marlena wiped her eyes. "B-big talk from... from the guy who admits to being suicidal."

Jay stared at her for a moment before leaning back. "Do you know what Light Elves are considered, at least when they're in Helvan?"

"Light Elves?" Marlena's eyes shifted about. "I... guess not. I lived in a small, rural village early on, they was confined to my home until Master Davon saved me. Are they revered in some way?"

"No... they're considered property in Helvan. Slaves." Jay answered bluntly, closing his eyes as he recalled some horrendous moments.

"O-oh... I'm sorry." Marlena lowered her head. "Then, you are like me. Used and abused throughout your life. You leg... it was them, wasn't it?"

"It was. A human woman who ordered it and a Dark Elven man who followed though with the order." Jay answered, his voice soft and quiet.

Marlena turned her head away. "I am sorry. I... talked down to you like you knew nothing of my pain, when you knew of it better then anyone." She slowly rose to her feet.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
How to Make Friends Easily
Part Two

"I don't tell people about my past, because I don't want them to pity me. So, in retrospect, you had no idea about my past, so... I'm not upset. But maybe this will help you learn to talk and learn about people a bit more before judging them." Jay replied, as the door opened to reveal Titania, who looked very shocked to see Jay in her room with another woman.

"Jay... I'm going to give you a few moments to explain before I tell Sylive..." Titania growled, tapping her foot impatiently.

"You... you were in Stormrend." Marlena dusted off her maid uniform. "I had a grievance with him. It is settled now. No need to report to... whoever Sylvie is." She looked back at Jay. "Is she the one you desire to make happy?"

"Sylive is his girlfriend, and from the looks of this she deserves to know." Titania growled out once more, glaring at the both of them.

"Marlena, this is Titania, my best friend. Titania, this is Marlena, one of the maids who I had an argument with."

"One that required you to end up in a bedroom? I'm not buying it."

"Are..." Marlena wore that same irritated look again. "Are you accusing me of doing something dirty with him?"

"No... why would I ever accuse a maid of being in a bedroom with a man alone all to herself." Titania replied sarcastically, crossing her arms.

"Oh, Gods..." Jay shook hi head while putting his hand to his face as if that would shield him from how ridiculous Titania's accusation sounded.

Marlena, on the other hand, clenched her fists tightly. "Don't act like you know me! I would never... I barely even know him!" The various items around the room started to shake. "I am not some whore hat sleeps around, you know!"

"Oh really?! Then why are you in a bedroom with him, of all places? There are plenty of other rooms to talk why a gods damned bedroom then?" Titania roared out, her claws sharpening as she started getting angry.

"It was his idea!" Marlena snarled, the objects floating up again. "You're just like all the rest! You look at like some... some slut without even knowing me! The men are bad enough... but then there are the high and might women who look down on me without even knowing me! How dare you?!" The objects formed into and arm that swung at the wolf Thrope.

The Wolf Thrope reeled back from the blow, but her eyes flashed feral. "If that's how you want to play it bitch so be it!" Before the Wolf Thrope could move a massive amount of water lifted her and Marlena up towards the ceiling.

"Gods... Ma'am, please calm down, Titania is stubborn and is quick to form an opinion. And Titania it isn't what it looks like, we had a bit of a fight and I wanted to have an adult conversation with this woman..."

"So she clocks me over something so simple? Bullshit! You cheated with her on Sylvie." Titania growled, struggling against the water.

Marlena struggled herself, tears rolling down her cheeks. "You know nothing! You have no idea what I've been through! What I had to deal with for years! And now that I escape that life, you treat me like that little fuck slave I was!" Either oblivious to how her temper was making things worse or not caring, she made her puppet swing again, though with her concentration muddled, she missed.

A third giant water orb appeared to contain the puppet, as Jay began to sweat from the exertion of keeping everyone from trying to attack one another.

"Oh, yeah? Why should I believe you when you keep fucking using that thing to try to hit me!" Titania growled, as she started crawling very slowly towards Marlena, before the water dragged her back.

"Because you pissed me off!" Marlena grit her teeth in rage, panting angrily. Her eyes slowly softened, and the puppet fell apart once more. She closed her eyes, desperately trying to get her anger under control.

Titania kept trying to claw her way towards Marlena for a couple more minutes before her eyes lost their feral gleam. "Then explain why you're in my room with Jay." Titania demanded, her voice less hostile than what it was earlier.

"Because I... I yelled at him in the halls, then apologized for my outburst." Marlena shook her head. "When he suggested we talk here in private so I can explain myself, I agreed so... so if he tried anything, I could kill him with no witnesses."

The water ob holding Marlena lowered the woman to the ground before dispersing, while the one that held Titania remained.

"Kill him?! Why would you kill him for anything?" Titania growled, one of her eyes turning somewhat feral.

"Because I feared he was like so many other men. Deceitful... lustful... wanting only to use women like me. I believed this was the reason he wanted to get me alone."

Titania's face slowly shifted from a more hateful look to one of understanding. "I see..."

The water orb lowered Titania down as well, as the mage hobbled over to the bed and laid down, somewhat exhausted from holding the two back from one another."

Marlena turned to look at him. "Are you okay?"

"Just... tired. Holding you, Titania and your puppet back was a bit tiring. Especially because Titania was so strong she kept actually moving towards you even though she had so much wait pressing up on her that she shouldn't have been able to move at all." Jay whined, as he covered himself with a blanket.

Marlena gave him a sad look. "I caused you pain when you showed me kindness. I really am a blight..." She shook her head and turned to Titania. "There is no point in arguing with you. I can't stop you from telling this Sylvie whatever you want. But Jay did nothing with me. If you tell her he cheated on her with me, you will be causing undo pain to the man that called you his best friend." She slowly walked past Titania. "Spread whatever rumors you want about me. I deserve it... the kind of person I am. But Jay doesn't deserve to be punished for my mistakes."

Titania looked thoughtful, before turning and punching the other woman's shoulder. "Consider that repayment for that sucker punch you threw earlier. I... I'm going to trust you both and believe you. I'm... sorry that I jumped to conclusions." The Thrope apologized, looking away in embarrassment.

"That's... ow..." Marlena rubbed her shoulder. "Damn it... You're strong. There is a reason I use something else to fight. You... I mean... it's fine. You only made me feel like a prostitute..."

Titania rubbed her head sheepishly, "Sorry... like Jay said I jump to conclusions a lot if it involves close friends or... well, that doesn't matter. I'm sorry."

"And I am quick to anger. We all have our faults. Some more dangerous then others." Marlena held her arm and looked away. "None of this would have happened if not for me and my temper. This is all my fault..."

Jay raised a hand up into the air, conjuring several watery words in the form of a response, in front of Marlena, which spelled out, "My fault... I've been reevaluating myself ever since I talked to Be... someone. But I've been wanting to fight everyone and that isn't right. My apologies."

"I'm sorry... let's pretend that I didn't go all beast-mode on you. Hi, my name is Titania, Wolf Thrope swordswoman extraordinaire. And you are?" Titania asked, offering a genuinely friendly smile.

Marlena hesitated, and said, "Marlena. Just Marlena. I don't have a last name. Sex slave turned killer... turn maid."

"Sounds like an interesting turn of events that your here. I'm glad. So..." Titania trailed off not knowing what to say.

"'So...?'"

"Look, I'm not good at the whole talking to people thing!"

"Hell if you are!, You brought home a bandit and a stray orphan, not to mention act like a mom to practically all younger Hunters, and have deemed yourself mother over that Duck Thrope!" Jay argued from the bed.

Titania's face turned red and she seemed to blur before disappearing entirely. The door nearly torn off it's hinges.

Jay cursed softly before murmuring out something incoherent. Sitting up, he looked over at the puppeteer.

Marlena tapped her lips. "Is she really... that good with people." She smiled softly. "Maybe I'll talk to her about my problems. When she isn't so embarrassed, that is. Literally never saw someone move that fast."

"It's actually her greatest combat asset. She can move so fast she can dodge crossbow bolts and bullets fired at pretty close ranges. And yeah she's a pretty good people person. Umm... say you answer me a question?" Jay asked, continuing anyways despite Marlena not giving him a response. "How do I patch up some bad blood between me and this girl, when this girl, who is my boss' girlfriend, and with a whisper she could have me fired? How do I dig myself out of that hole?"

"Hmm. Well, um... I'm not the best person to go to for advice." Marlena rubbed her wrist. "I'd say... be honest. Tell her you messed up. Tell her you want to start over again. Lady Havenbrook... she gave me a job here even though I probably didn't deserve it. Surely, any friend of hers is reasonable. More reasonable then you or I, at least."

Jay nodded, looking down as he took the advice to heart. "Thanks... I'll probably go and do that... take care, Marlena."

Marlena nodded. "Tell your friend I said hi when she comes back." After a bit more hesitation, she gave a quick bow, then ducked out the door.

Dahlexpert

Dhalexpert&Zombiesplitter53
knowing the truth

Alice castle
Serasam
5:59 PM

Alice was in her room, her room being filled with largest one was in the middle of her room plastered on a huge bored. The giant map was of Terra filled with points of places she wishes conqueror." Ugh there is so much to consider food water basic resorcess there's a lot to consider if i'm going to take Terra, but I knew that before hand." Alice shook her head. "Ugh and then there's my prisoner the key part of my plan, better go check on her." Alice made her way to her sister "Cell" and opened the door.

Lilith sat on her bed alone, Rumi out on a scouting mission. She was reading a novel from the castles library. Unable to leave, unable to walk about, books were her only source of entertainment. "Hello, sister," she said, not looking up.

Alice closed the door and locked it. "Hello sis we need to talk, and I mean an actual talk not you talking at me and calling me a monster, or that i'm stuck in the past. Your going to listen to me and i'm going to listen to you are we clear on that?"

"So, like sisters that actually get along and act like proper adults." Lilith placed the book to the side. "That sounds nice. Let's hear it."

Alice took a seat next to Lilith. "Let me get this out of the way now, I hate you. I hate you with all my being, I hate you so much do you know why I hate you?"

"Well, now... this an interesting start to our mature conversation..." Lilith folded her hands. "I have a few ideas, but why don't you tell me?"

"I loved you I used to think the world of you, I thought you were the greatest person on Terra. No matter what how I was feeling I always had this feeling of I have my sister to have my back I can always depend on her and she will do the same for me. I helped you with your work, when you were over stressed or whatever you needed." Alice clenched her fist. "Then when it came for you to do the same for me in my trial to defend me to help me to explain things better, you didn't you on my trial let them sentience me to a four hundred years in prison."

"With a chance for parole after only two hundred years." Lilith shook her head. "And not the execution the others wanted. But that isn't good enough for you. The deaths, the experiments, the plotting, the scheming, the treasonous planning, learning necromancy illegally, everything you did was wrong, and you will never understand what I had to go through during your trial because in your mind, you did nothing wrong. So... with that in mind, yes, I understand why you hate me." She reached for her book. "Despite what you said, this is turning into into the same argument again. I am not going to sit here and listen to you tell me what a horrible sister I am and how I ruined everything again. I get. I'm awful. Please... go away."

"I didn't mean to kill those people." Alice said to her Lilith.

"But you meant to do everything else." Lilith opened her book. "I would have forgiven that. But you decided that humanity had to suffer. You plotted to spread pain and misery. You planned to undo everything we stood for. You... you scared everyone. You scared the Elders, you scared the non-vampire citizens that found out they were living next to someone that hated them with murderous intent. You scared me, who thought her sister was perfectly fine one moment, then suddenly presented with all this evidence saying I knew nothing of who you were. You feel like I abandoned you... but you decided to do all these crazy schemes and plans without coming to me. You abandoned me."

"I did not plan to kill those people!" Alice shouted, but she to a breath remembering what she said earlier. "It was an accident, let me explain." I planned to leave the city yes I plotted to leave and I never told you because you would be against it, or if you knew or the counciel thought you knew you would have been fired so I did think of you and to my surprise my plan went with out a hitch. When I first saw the night sky and the moon I could not express to you how awestruck I was amazed by the grass on the ground and the dirt and the sea. And in that time I flew around stooping at a city, and was amazed by the buildings to see and actual castle and go inside it I played around with other humans went to partys celebrated with humans it was a blast.

Alice smile went away. "But I went days with out eating, because I was so overwhelmed I for got about it, so I stopped at a village and asked for blood and when people asked if I was a vampire I told them the truth that I was. That knight I was attacked I ran and in my fear and adrenaline and my hunger being over whelming I lost it and went feral and I slatered those people, when I came to I was sick at what I did the first time I ever killed I regretted what I did the moment I did it and thought that if I went home and just went back and wash it away the blood it will be alright."

"You should have told me," Lilith whispered. "I'm sorry... that they attacked you. I truly am. But you should have told me. Instead, you decided that revenge was needed. You decided... the vampires should take over. If you had come to me... if you had trusted me, this could have all been prevented." She shook her head. "But you didn't. And because of that, here we are. You, bitter against the non-vampires who hated you. Bitter against the counsel for imprisoning you. Bitter at me for... my hand in that imprisonment. You hate me. You hate humans, you hate the counsel, you hate our home and what it represents. Is... is there anything you don't hate? Is there any love left in your heart?"

"You say i'm bitter at humans the council and you for what happen, the is easy I hate them because my imprisonment. "But humans do you know what I went through in that prison? The groping the forced sex by men and women humans when I didn't let them run me over I was sent to the hold the prison under the prison in darkness, hearing screeching all around me by my fellow vampires who clearly went feral a long time ago I hated being treated like a lesser being by the people we nearly drove to extinction and that's the lighter part of my time in prison. And then there's you, you know why I hate you. Because in my heart I thought my sister will still be there for me that she will see that I screwed up myabe if she heard my side of things she will help me or if she just visited me that will be enough for me. But you never came I longed to see your face or to hear your voice hell seeing you hand writing in a letter would have worked for me. But for a hundred years I forgot your face and with the screeching going on around me I stopped caring at that point I wanted the council to excite me so I didn't have to go through this torment."

Alice took a breath. Then I escaped and the sorrow I felt killing humans the first time was replaced with joy I loved killing the guards the vampires I was imprisoned with, anyone I came across I enjoyed killing them. But being here now things have changed I don't hate humans to the extent that I did back then, I understand now that they believe were monsters because of the war and if they saw us in the city then maybe they would change there mind. The council I still despise them for a entirely different reason. I learned after leaving the city that the elders are scared there scared of the world and all that it holds, and then there's you. I don't hate you to the extent I did a few months ago ether. Now as for what I love." Alice pointed outside. "I love my ship for taking me to places I never would have dreamed of going to I care for my men, I love Crixus my thrall Lorica my savage and beast master, Ackerly my forger. But most out of all of them I love Rumi. I love her caring nature her sprite and how she tries to get stronger so that's what I love.

Dahlexpert

Part 2

Lilith shook her head. "I'm sorry... for everything that happened to you. I'm sorry my work kept me from showing you the attention you needed. I'm sorry if our prisons are not... better run then I thought they were." She looked into Alice's eyes. "But you see... that's where you and I are different. I am sorry for what I did. I know I screwed up a lot of things, and I was wrong. But you're never wrong... are you? Everything you do is justified. You can never forgive me for what happened, because there is so much that I can't apologize for that you think I should. I am sorry for the conditions you had to experience in prison... but you deserved to go to prison." She laid down and turned away. "Just... leave me alone... or kill me already. I make a lousy hostage when no one knows you have me, I won't give you information you might want, and you have already admitted to hating me, even if less then before. I don't care what you do anymore."

"Ou they know I have you, after all a chronicler doesn't go missing for no reason but I have a plan for you. I want you to lead our people. "

"Bullshit," Lilith muttered without looking back. "You want our people to suffer for the complacency. You want them to wonder the world free, what ones survive. You don't want them under one leader."

Alice closed Lilith book forcing her to look at her. "Now that I have your attention i'm not lying to you, you think I want what little of our people there is to die. Why do you think your still alive right now, or why I introduced you to Mina Have brook for."

"I know what you expect to happen." Lilith sat up again. "You want to take over our home and force them to rejoin society. Then you want to throw the world into a tizzy trying to take it over and unite everyone against you so vampires and non-vampires will work together. Is that the jist of it?"

"You make it sound so bad is that not what you want for our people to be free, to be apart of society no longer being hunted or feared by the public that's what I want for our people but you what do you want?"

"There are better ways to do it!" Lilith insisted. "Don't you see how much pain there will be? How many will be lost?!" She scoffed. "Some of the older vampires will be fine. Some of them. But how many newer ones will die once they lose the city? How many won't be able to avoid the sun in time? How many will be found out and hunted as monsters? How many will lose their cool and slaughter entire villages? What happens if they don't want to unite with the rest of the world or the rest of the world doesn't want to unite with them?" Lilith folded her arms. "I can't stop you, so I... I will help you as long as I feel I can help lower casualties. But let me make one thing straight. If you succeed, I expect HALF of the vampires to be lost... at best. Mostly the young breed. And if you fail?" She shrugged. "If we're lucky, 10% will survive."

"That's the price of war sis, you were apart of the war three hundred years ago with mom and dad so tell me sis was our lives considered when we went to war to save the humans that now hate us? I'm keeping you alive so you can think about what to do, I keep you alive so you can think about this. I showed you Mina so she could help you." You want to know my plan what I plan to do? I plan to kill the council and only them."

"Well, we'll see how that works out. As long as you are okay with the numbers you are facing, then proceed with your plans." Lilith shook her head. "Not like I can stop you. I honestly... don't know what the point of these talks are."

"Can I not talk with my sister and get the talks I never got when I was in prison, my plan will work I will find away to kill them and once our people are free I have a way for you to at least not face emediate danger once I take the city."

Lilith chuckled. "If I wanted to talk business, I'd pretend I was back home." She rubbed her wrist. "My position wasn't all moonshine and parties. Or whatever other countries royalty does. Mine was constant work. It wasn't as bad as you had it, but... it's a prison of its own kind. So if you want to talk, why don't we talk about stuff that sister's talk about. Like... Crixus. You said you love him. In what way? Like friend, family... or something more?"

"Crixus is my Thrall I see him as family, I know more about him though. Apparently before I found him he was with raiders since he was ten apparently he got sick and tired of being pushed around by by raiders as a farmer kid so he joined them. Now as for romantic involvement I would say that belongs to the god of mischief Seclevar."

"Really? You bagged yourself a god?" Lilith tilted her head. "Wait... isn't he Tecunte's son? What does she have to say about that?"

"Well considering they were lovers to make the god of fear, I would say i'm a much better person to lay with then your own mother don't you think?"

Lilith shook her head. "I mean, does she know about it? Does she care?"

“Doubt it she just uses him for her own end, then again I’m just trying to give him some attention. What about you, you fond anyone?”

Lilith shook her head. "No time. Though..."

"Though what, so you have your eyes one someone?"

Lilith looked down. "Yeah, but... but you won't like it. Besides the fact that he's much older then me, he, um..." She scoffed. "Let's just cut the pretenses. I grew close to Richard Delacruz... the leader of the Band of the Seven."

"Ou well that's going to be complicated then since I plan to send him to my side, although this does give me an idea."

"Yeah... I'm sure it does," Lilith said with a roll of the eyes. She looked up at the sound of someone knocking.

"Ou please come in, i'm just having a conversation with my sister." The Door open reveling Alive newes Allie. "Ou Gravel my boy, sis i'm sure you know who this is."

Lilith slowly nodded. "Of course."

Dahlexpert

Part 3

Gravel seemed to ignore Lilith as he stepped in, his attention focused on Alice. "Alagor said I'm ready... whatever that means. Does that mean the guys will stop looking at me like they'll kill me if I do anything wrong?"

"It means your combat ready my friend, and please just try not to kill him he's necessary. It's good to hear you talking my friend."

"Of course, boss. Just um..." Gravel looked back at the door, then to Alice. "You sure you can trust that guy? I mean, Crixus, the wild lady, the others... they seem pretty cool. But this alchemist, man... he's out there."

“Ou I’m aware and I’ll tell you what I told the others, if he tryes anything bring him to me don’t want to kill him yet.”

"Sure thing boss." Gravel smiled. "So, what you want me to do, boss? Patrol? Got a target? Or... would you mind if I take a shower?" He pulled at his collar. "Wouldn't mind getting the stick of that lab off me. Feels like those chemicals permeated my skin."

“That’s probably for the best, once you’re done bathing go see my forge master about giving you a silver weapon. The rest of the seven are Vampires after all so best take every add vantage we can.”

"'Cept Tezrian." Gravel rubbed the back of his neck as he walked out. "Not looking forward to fighting him." He paused and looked back. "Or, the alchemist said he wanted to see you right away. Something about control or... something. Tell you the truth, the smell down there was turning my stomach. That, and that crap he made me drink."

“Right I’ll get there.” Alice turned to her sister.” Sis it was nice talking to you, hopefully we can do it again.”

"Next time, without the back and forth arguing," Lilith stated. She glanced at the door. "Gravel is right about him, even in a hypnotic state. You can't trust Forenzi. He's in it for himself. If you knew half the things he was in prison for..." With a sigh, the vampiric blonde said, "Well, I'm sure you can take care of yourself..."

“I’ve lived this long, take care sis. As Alice left Lilith she went to Rumi room and grabbed one of her guns and loaded a silver bullet in it, she then grabbed her silver sword and made her way to the alchemist lab.”

The lab was quite far along now. With Alice's help, it had been turned into quite the spot for scientific advancement. All kinds of potions and concoctions were brewing. Some were useful. For healing, for buffs, for pain. Others were simply experiments. Alagor loved his experiments.

"Ms. Valentine!" the alchemist cried out as she entered, bowing his head. "Or should I say Alice? It is hard to gauge the exact depths of our friendship. Can I call you Alice?"

“Alice is fine Alagor you wanted to talk to me?”

"Yes, yes." Alagor walked around a counter. His face was hidden behind a plague doctor's mask, but something about his tone implied he was constantly smiling. "I wanted to make sure you understood how things with our little... unaware, hypnoized friend works." He took a blue potion and handed it to Alice.

Alice grabbed the blue bottle.” So this is the stuff here?”

Alagor pointed up. "That meathead's brain. What I did to it is a work of art. The potion you have him in the field temporarily blanked him. Left him open to hypnotic suggestion. Both subliminal and magical. He isn't just loyal to you because of some spell. He is loyal to you because his brain is telling him he has always been loyal to you. But... it doesn't last forever. He needs to drink a vial of those every couple of weeks to keep you hold on him."

“Ah great, that’s going to be a pain. Can’t I just sink my teeth into him and mesmorize him?”

Alagor shook his head. "No appreciation for my art." He placed his hands together. "With all due respect, your method is... archaic. And it also doesn't last forever. And pretty soon you will have more and more people you'll have to keep track of. You'd practically have to have a daily time table in your room to remember who you need to mesmerize when. Whatsmore, what happens if one of the other seven sinks their fangs into him? They replace your spell with theirs. You lose an ally, they gain an ally." He took the potion and shook it. "With this, that won't happen. Guaranteed or your money back. Lifetime warranty, no substitutions."

“And here I was thinking I could cut your work in half by doing that, ugh fine will do it your way which I have to say very well done.”

"Ah, you do appreciate my work! Good to hear, thank you." He returned the bottle to a shelf with several others. For some reason, there only seemed to be half a dozen doses. "Now, Mr. Elador might say some... strange things. I suggest you just nod your head and agree with him. You see, I hypnotically implanted memories of the two of you into his mind. Not an easy process. Took a lot of research to perfect. Research the counsel did not approve of, but they seldom approve of much. Basically, in his mind, you two have been allies for a while. You were the one that suggested he take in Rumi after he didn't want to, so in his mind, he never would have grown so close to her without you. He owes you big time, and would die for you as quickly as he would for her. Human minds... to be honest, they are almost too easy to manipulate."

“Well to be fair they don’t live very long so it’s easier, now how will this work with the others? Since ther vampires?”

"This one, no. But I am making a stronger dose just for them. It will make them putty in your hands, my dear." The alchemist leaned against his table. "Speaking of others, would you like me to give little Ms. Rumi the same treatment? You wouldn't have to give her your blood anymore, and she'll remain just as loyal as your Thrall."

“She’s fine the way she is, and is much more effective as a thrall.” Alice rubbed her chin.” Speaking of blood, how am I going to feed them once ther on my side?”

Alagor rubbed his hands together. "Heh heh... oh, I can take care of that too." He headed for one of the doors to the cells. "Come, come. I am sure you will like this."

Alice held her side were she kept her pistol hidden, and fallowed Alagor.”

Dahlexpert

Part 4

He lead her to the far cells, and waved his hand to three of them. Inside were three humans, all strapped to a to a table standing upright. One was a man, one was a woman. The third was a girl of around twelve or thirteen. In one arm was an I.V. slowly dripping. The other was hooked to a device, at the end of which was a blood bag. "Tada!" Alagor proclaimed. "What do you think? Had your bandits... sorry, soldiers, get them here. Three humans in perfect health. The I.V., which I assure you is very easy and cheep to make, keeps them both alive and sedated. They are our personal blood fountains! Naturally, I'll have to get a few more as we get more when you get more of the seven, but with them, you won't have to worry about hunting anymore! I even got you three flavors so you won't get bored."

Alice blinked at the three humans.” Some guide lines one we don’t talk kids, two why keep it to humans? Like to keep a verioty of a diet.”

"I agree the selection is limited, and I do apologize for that. You see, I kept it simple and took a family. Left some pig bodies I made to look human and burned the house so no one would come looking for them. You and I staying hidden is first on my mind, of course. I was thinking an Elf, a Thrope, and maybe a Netzi next." Alagor turned his off putting mask towards the girl. "Are you sure you don't want to keep the child? Youthful blood is so delicious, something we were denied in Drăculești. You should try it before you reject it."

“Ou fine give me a glass of the young ones blood my kind sir,please.”

"Of course, of course." He made his to the ice box next to the unconscious girl. He pulled out a pair of glasses and a pack of blood, pouring it into each glass. He quickly returned to Alice and handed her one. "A toast, yes? To our long lasting business relationship, and your conquering of the world."

“Cheers.” Alice drink the glass and her eyes widen.” Hum ah that’s great actually, there’s nothing better the virgin blood is there.”

Alagor laughed, lifting his mask just enough to take a drink. "Then I can keep her, yes?" he asked after finishing his glass.

“Fine I’m convinced, but aim a little higher on the aging scale will you fifteen is just fine of an age.” Alice drank the rest of the blood.”

"Very well. If you would like, I can dispose of this one as soon as I find an older child. Not like they aren't a copper a dozen." Alagor took Alice's empty glass. "Thank you, Alice."

“Ou of course and get rid of her near in a nearby village, with no memory of this place.”

"Get rid..." Alagor tilted his head. "You want me to dump her body by a village? You know, I can simply cremate her here, right?"

“We don’t kill children, at least no on purpose anyway!” Alice shouted

Alagor held up his hands. "Apologies again, Alice. I did not know. Please... anger is not needed. I shall find you a substitute, then the girl will be left at a village some distance from here, unharmed with her memory wiped."

“Thank you and sorry for yelling, I do appreciate your work. I’m just thinking to many kidnaped people with no survivors will cause to much of a ruckus.”

"I'll keep that in mind, Alice." He bowed his head. "I will let you know when I finish the potions needed to subdue a vampire. Any idea who you might target next?"

“Marlee she is mine personally.”

"Personally, huh? Interesting." Alagor bowed his head again. "Well, I really should get back to work. Thank you for coming down here. I am glad I can be of service."

“And it great having you in my service, keep up the good work.” As Alice she looked at her pistol and sword.not today, he’s in his place for now.

As she walked out, Alagor turned his head towards the child. "Well now... best get plenty of samples before I am expected to... 'release' you, my dear?" He smirked under his mask, and made his way back into his lab proper.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53
Sanctuary
Part One

August 3rd, 3349
1:14 p.m.

Magdalene made her way to Mina's office, a look which was a mix of fear and determination on her face. She had made her way up was quickly was she could when the news reached her, a vampire with an undead army, in a days marching distance from her home and her family. It chilled her to her bone with worry.

She didn't know Ms. Havenbrook that well, but Mags knew she was a kind and understanding woman, someone who Mags would think wouldn't leave the family of one of her hunters at such a serious risk. After a internal barrage of wayward thoughts ranging what seemed like all conceivable emotions, Mags quickly knocked, louder than she had intended to, but she could hardly take it back now.

"Um... Ms. Havenbrook? Are you in there?" The Sheep replied meekly.

Mina let out an internal sigh, the woman under a lot of stress recently. Ultimately deciding she would rather talk to someone then work on more paperwork, she called out, "Yes, please come in."

Mags opened the door slowly, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, just a little... tired." Mina smiled. "Magdalene, right? Please, come in. Tell me what's on your mind."

"Okay." The Farmgirl answered, sitting down. "Well... It's about... That Vampire everyone is talking about... The one with the army..."

Mina grumbled a bit. "You mean the one that brazenly marched in here, proclaimed her intentions to destroy my guild while asking for no hard feelings, then snuck into my office to steal a peak at my paperwork." She let out another long sigh. "Don't worry, we've adjust the shields. Old spell from back during the war. Now, she can't step foot in the manor without being invited."

"It's not here I'm worried about..." Mags looked down and to the side. "M-My Family. They're only a few miles from here, although I'm sure you knew that. I'm worried about them... their safety..."

"Well, I'm sure they're not in any danger. Alice's has no need to go after random farmers." Mina's eyes shifted about. "Unless she... just needed some blood. Or... new undead. Hmm... I see why you're worried."

"I don't want to be too forward, I know you don't know me very well, but... Do you think we could take them in here at the Manor?" The Thrope girl asked, trying not to sound too demanding. "Who knows what she'd try to do to get to us..."

"I doubt kidnapping is on her mind. Then again, I don't really want to give her any options if I can avoid it..." Mina rubbed her chin. After a minute, she stood up. "Alright, dear. Let's go."

"Really? Thank you! Wait... Um..." Mags stopped her elatedness briefly, "They can be... A little bit of a handful... Just want to give you warning... Especially my older sister, she's... Been through a lot..."

"Well, that's why I'd like to meet them in person. I'm sure they'll need a bit of convincing." Mina stretched a bit. "I need to get out of here anyway. We can leave immediately, if you'd like."

"Oh, right! Let's go then..." Magdalene nodded, "Shouldn't we uh... Get an escort? Just in case a certain someone tries to take this chance to attack you while you're away?"

"Hmm... Eraqus is still in Mirandia, though I heard the mission was a success. Many of my top Hunters are out. Who... is still here that I can trust..." Mina thought on it for another minute. "Do you know a Hunter named Sylvie?"

"She's in the medical area...." Mags scratched the back of her neck. "I think she hurt herself..."

"Right, right. That thing with Lyr... damn..." Mina smiled. "I know someone we can bring. I'm going to get ready then get him. Meet me out front in twenty minutes."

Mags nodded, making her way out of the office, the fact that she was also a Hunter slipping past her in that conversation.

After gathering some things, her weapons and some stones for her sling, just in case, she set off, meeting Mina at the front of the building.

Mina walked out a few minutes later, in a golden dress that was somewhere between casual and formal, its wide bottom helping to cover up her widening belly somewhat. "The carriage is up front waiting for us. Naturally, I got the big one so everyone can fit on the way back."

Following behind was a Light Elf, much more muscular then the average Light Elf. He dropped to his knee before Mags, bowing his head to her despite the badge on his jacket marking him as a B rank Hunter. "It is good to meet you. I am Jeffory Jaminosen Bronson, at your service," he said with dynamic formality. "It will be my pleasure to assist you in the escort of your family to safety."

Mags blushed as she stared at his chest, "It's nice to meat you... Meet... Meet you. Heheh..."

"I am confident that you and I, with our combined strength, can keep away any dangers that might befall our beloved leader. In the words of the great Themorsan poet, Charles Deferno, 'Where once, they stood a chance for one, the duo left the hopes of victory dashed upon the floor." Bronson stood. "I shall sit with the driver to keep a lookout. Magdalene, please sit with Lady Havenbrook and prepare yourself should I fail and fall."

He walked ahead to the carriage, and Mina chuckled. "Sorry. Should have warned you who I was looking for. He's a bit eccentric."

Mags nodded quickly, the Man putting her loyalty to Zulik to the test. "I wouldn't say that... I love poetry..."

Mina patted her on the shoulder. "Come on. Let's go see this family of yours. I'm sure I'll find them delightful.

The group rode to the south, being sure to steer clear of the road the led near the castle. As the neared Mags home, they found themselves surrounded by farmland, summer in full swing and harvests plentiful. Even Serasam was warm this time of the year. "Such majesty, this land where one toils for their goods," Bronson called back. "It reminds me of my youth. Long days, tilling fields and milking cows. It was hard work, but it built character and strength. Tell me, dear Magdalene, what compelled you to leave to be a Hunter?"

"Well... My Sister Carol. She thought I could make a difference. That I could help people with my special magic." Magdalene responded, looking out at the countryside herself. "I guess I wanted to help people too... Even though I was nervous..."

"Well, you have only , but you have been on a couple mission so far done quite well on all of them," Mina reassured her. She scanned the farmlands. "So where is your home? What do you cultivate on your farm?"

"It's just up ahead." Mags said, pointing out a silo in the distance, directly in the path if their transport. "We grow all kinds of things, but our main sources of money are Corn, Wheat, Dairy and Wool. What we don't eat or use ourselves goes to the Market in town."

"It looks like it is still in one piece. That's a good sign." Mina smiled. "I am looking forward to this."

The carriage slowed to a stop, and Mina quickly stepped out, taking in a deep breath. "Smell the fresh country air. Refreshing. Mr. Bronson, stay with the carriage."

"But m'lady." Bronson stood up. "Should you need assistance..."

"From Mags' family?" Mina shook her head. "I doubt it, but if something comes up, I am confident Mags is capable of handling it." She nodded to the sheep Thrope. "After you."

"Mmhm." Mags said. As she looked around, the Sheep felt as if she hadn't been home in forever, this last few months and everything that had happened overwhelming her. As Magdalene walked forward, they came upon the house from the right side, the large field of Corn on one side, separated by Wheat as far as the eye could see being on the right of them, gently swaying in the country air. The large Silo past the house, to the left of the entrance to the building was painted yellow, but the paint had some noticeable wear to it. Next to the silo were the animal cages, filled with many Cows and Sheep along with a smaller coop for chickens, all looking over to Magdalene and gathering next to the gate, as if happy to see an old friend. Finally, a few meters behind the simple wooden house was a Yellow Barn, it's paint slightly peeling just like the Silo, however it currently seemed to be locked.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sanctuary
Part Two

Mags first led Mina over to the Animals, all of which seemed well cared for as they looked at the new huntress expectantly. She smiled, bringing her hand over to one of the sheep and slightly rubbing him, turning her head to look over her shoulder at Mina. "So... What do you think? It's not much... but it's nice to be back..."

Mina nodded. "It is quite delightful. I admit, as a socialite, I don't have much experience with farm life. But once a year, an uncle of mine would take me to his farm, having cast off the noble life for one in the country. It was hard work, that week, but so rewarding, and the nights were so enjoyable..." She sighed. "This takes me back to my youth. The sights, the smells. This is a farm that I would have loved to spend time on."

"I... Don't suppose the Manor has any room for the animals?" Mags asked sadly, looking into the eyes of the one she was petting. "This is Naomi... Next to her is Petal and Lily... They're like a second family to me... I'm sure we could give you the money we make from them, a-as well as all the Milk, Cheese and Wool you could ever need."

Mina rubbed her chin. "Well... I don't see why we can't convert some of the unused horse stalls for their use."

"Thank you so much!" Mags said, hugging the Lead Hunter before quickly pulling away, embarrassed. "U-Um... Sorry..."

Mina chuckled. "That is perfectly alright. Believe it or not, you're not the first Hunter to hug me. Come, introduce me to your family. I'm excited to meet them."

Mags nodded, leading her towards the house and knocking on the door. After a few awkward moments, the door flung open from the other side, a large busted woman with dark splotches in her tanned skin standing in the doorway. "Who the hell is i- Maggie?"

"Carol... It's so good to see you again." The Sheep Thrope smiled.

The Cow quickly brought her sister in, taking her hand and scruffing up her fluffy head. "Good to see me? That's all? Come here you!"

Magdalene laughed lightly, "S-Stop...!"

Carol didn't however, not until she saw Mina that is. "Who's your girlfriend?"

Mina covered her mouth and snickered. "Wilhelmina Havenbrook of the Havenbrook Organization." She offered her hand. "Call me Mina. It's a pleasure."

"Havenbrook? It's a pleasure to meet ya too..." Carol purred, unabashedly admiring Mina's curves.

"Hahaha!" Mags laughed loudly and awkwardly, "Carol this is Ms. Havenbrook! The lead hunter?"

"I figured. Still though... Not bad." Carol smirked, letting go of Magdalene.

"Uh... thank you. Ahem..." Mina rubbed her neck. "Mind gathering everyone up? We have something we need to talk to you about."

"Right... Of course you wouldn't be here for a friendly dinner... It's bad news, isn't it?" Carol said, seeming disappointed and unsurprised, "Fine. Pa's in the kitchen with food on the table. Might as well eat it if it's there."

Mags frowned as Carol spoke, her sister's demeanor bothering her. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't be. If ya came all this way, it has to be a big deal. I just thought this'd be a happy occasion..." The Cow frowned, she was wearing a simple black tank-top and cloth pants, both looked to be hand sewn and well worn. Typical clothes for a typical day in her life.

"Well, I wouldn't say it is only that," Mina countered, stepping forward. "We could have just sent a message, right? But we instead came in person because Mags wished to see her family again, and I was excited to visit the family of one of my Hunters."

"Well, that's sweet. Glad to see your boss cares about you so much, Maggie." Carol said, turning around to head upstairs. "Welcome yerself in. I'll go... See if I can get Selene out and about... Hopefully she'll find it in her to get up when she hears her older sister's home."

Mina frowned and looked down at Mags. "Is your younger sister ill?"

Magdalene seemed to have a slightly pained look on her face. "You could say that..."

After few moments if silence Mags weakly motioned for Mina to follow, "Come on, let's go meet my Pa."

Looking worried but not wanting to press, Mina simply nodded and followed along.

As they reached the Kitchen, which was just off to the right of the end of the hall, they were met with the glorious smell of a homecooked meal. Their first sight was a long table packed with hot food including Corn on the Cob slathered with butter, fresh bread covered in melted cheese, and what looked to be pork sausages with a side of eggs. There were three plates already made for each person in the house, however, there was still plenty of food left for seconds if they were wanted or had company.

Mags' Father was standing in the kitchen behind a wooden counter, cooking at a typical wooden stove/oven combination. He was a grizzled looking man, his hair messy and his eyes tired as he turned towards them. As soon as he recognized Magdalene his tired eyes lit up, "Maggie? You're here? You came to visit."

The Sheep smiled once more, "Yeah Pa. I hope you weren't too lonely all this time..."

He walked towards them, his long tail swinging back and forth and his hoofed feet clacking against the floor. "Don't worry. I had Carol. I still missed you though..."

"Good day, good sir." Mina bowed her head. "Mina Havenbrook. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Ah, the Head Hunter. I admit, I didn't expect you to personally grace our home." The Horse Thrope grinned lightly, "Is my little girl doing that good of a job?"

Mina placed her hand on Mags' shoulder. "She is. Though I admit I was also tempted by the idea of going out for a change and maybe getting an old fashion, farmhouse meal."

"Well, help yourself. Our home is your home, we'll take good care of you." He said, offering her a seat at the end of the table. "Please take as much as you want."

Mags took a seat at the table as well, which in this case was the one she always took, next to her sister's. The Sheep picked up a little bit of everything, looking up at her Dad. "I missed this..."

"I'm so happy to have you back home sweetie..." He replied, taking a seat parallel to Mina at the other end. "It hasn't been the same here without you. The Sheep have really missed you."

"Mina filled her plate up as well, but respectfully waited for Mags' sisters before eating anything. "If it is any solace, Mags has done quite well at the Guild. Ahe has been on several successful missions. Why, in the first one, her powers made her immune to the effects of a woman with a ravenous mouth on the back of her head. She was able to help take it down, both putting the poor woman to rest and saving the village from starving."

"A Mouth... On her head?" He confirmed, "I've never heard of anything like that in my entire life..."

"It wasn't that impressive... I had help..." Mags said, trying to avoid the praise.

"Neither had I. It is some obscure Stormrend creature." Mina folded her hands. "The point is, I find her to be an excellent addition to my staff. And... I believe there is a solution that will keep her employed with us while you get to see her every day."

"Really? Care you explain?" He said before hearing movement, the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs.

Arriving at the bottom of the stairs was Carol, this time alongside another girl, dark bags under her eyes. Her hair was a frazzled mess and her face seemed almost lifeless. The Bird Thrope was wearing baggy pink Pajamas and slippers, as if she hadn't bother to put anything else on.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sanctuary
Part Three

Carol looked over at her Father when she reached the kitchen, quickly saying, "Don't... Ask her why she's in her PJ's, it doesn't really matter, does it?"

"I... Guess not..." The Father sighed, looking at Selene. "Honey, this is Ms. Havenbrook, she has news for us."

"Hey Selene..." Mags smiled softly at her younger sister a well, putting on a cheerful face for her whole family now.

The Youngest Sister returned the smile weakly, but it was clear she couldn't put much energy into it. "Mags... It's so good to see you again..."

"You too Sis..."

Mina gave her a sad look. She had seen that kind of sadness before, and could almost guess where is came from. "Well... this might be sudden, but... I would like to move all of you to my Mansion to the north."

All at once, each of them seemed dumbfounded, so much so it took at least ten seconds for their father to follow up. 'What...? Why?"

Mags bit her lip, "Dad... We came here because... You're in danger. All of you."

Mina poked at her food. "West of here, there is a large castle, previously unoccupied. It is now the base of a dangerous renegade vampire, one who has sinister plans, and is currently recruiting an army of both the living... And the dead."

"A Vampire Army? Isn't that yer company's problem? That seems like something you should deal with..." Carol stepped up, putting a hand on her hip.

"It's... Not that simple..." Mags said, looking at Ms. Havenbrook, "Right?"

Mina nodded. "For now, we are working on the solution to our vampire problem, but we can not simply storm a castle filled with an unknown number of soldiers and zombies. As it stands, though, those in the surrounding area are in danger. They could be forced to fight for her. They could be turned into the undead. Or they could simply use you as a bloody snack."

Mags looked over at Mina, finding it unnecessary to go into such detail in front of her family. Their Father grew a worried expression of his face while Selene had one of worry. Carol on the other hand crossed her arms at the Lead Hunter, "I'd die before I let anythin happen to my family..."

Mina sighed, and took a bit of the sausage. "This..." She chuckled. "This is incredible. You must tell me how you make these."

"We... Didn't..." Her Father answered, looking away from the table. "We bought them from the Farmer's Market... Everything else is home made though..."

"Are you serious? We're just going to stop having this conversation?' Carol looked over to her Father.

However he simply replied, "Lets Just... Eat first... There's a lot of tension right now, we can just as easily have this talk with a full stomach."

"I agree." Mina smiled. "I should have held off the details until after dinner." She took a bite of the corn and smiled wider. "Ah... I see. We occasionally get shipments of the most delightful corn cobs, but are supplier doesn't say where they come from. Now I know."

"That's very nice of you to say. Selene, sweetie? Do you... Want to say anything to our guest?" He looked over at the Bird Thrope, but she merely replied with a slow, sad shake of her head.

"I-it's okay Selene. You don't have to talk if you don't want to." Mags said, comforting her.

Mina frowned. "Your farm is quite beautiful, Selene. Tell me, what kind of bird did you take your characteristics from?"

"It's okay Selly. Talk to her... You can do it, Big Sis is here." Mags reached over and placed a hand over hers.

After a few moments and a gathering of strength, Selene finally spoke. "I... I am ah M-Mockingbird..."

"A mockingbird... how lovely." Mina took another small bite. "There were many mockingbirds where I used to live. Tell me, what is your job here on the farm?"

However, at this, Selene closed up, shrinking into her chair instinctively. It was up to Carol to answer for her, "She... Takes care of our birds, including the messager pigeons..."

"I see. An important job." Mina took a drink of milk. "May I ask where your m..." She fell silent, something occurrng to her. "Your... um... your favorite... um..."

"S-So... Well... Ah! That thing with the hair monster was only my first official mission, do you guys want to hear about my real first mission?" Magdalene jumped in, eager to detail that conversation topic and fast as possible.

Mina looked at her, curious. "First real mission? I would like to hear about it."

"E-Eraqus never told you? That... Seems weird..." Mags scratched the side of her head. "Well... We were all being plagued by terrible dreams... And soon, we found out that Nightgaunts were responsible, tall, inky black creatures that live in the dream world. It wasn't until they got to me that something strange happened..."

Mina raised an eyebrow. "You're right. It is weird he didn't tell me. So what happened?"

"Well... I found out there was a good Nightgaunt Protecting me..." Magdalene said, "His name is Baphomet. He saved my life when I was just a newborn."

"A newborn?" Her Father confirmed, looking a little shocked. "You mean when you were in a Coma as a child?"

"Yeah... He... Woke me up. He said he's been taking care of me for a long time and I just never knew." Mags explained to everyone. "After that, we found out that someone had trapped The Goddess of Dreams in her own realm... That caused the Nightgaunts to start attacking everyone wildly."

Carol looked on, unsure as she knew Mags wasn't the kind of person to make things up for attention. "So... You have a friendly demon in your head?"

"Not a demon. But yes, he's saved my life so many times. I trust him completely. He's sweet when you get to know him." Maggie continued.

"Damn..." Mina scoffed. "It was Tecunte. I'm sure of it." She smiled at the young Thrope. "So you woke up the Goddess of Dreams, huh? Not a bad goddess to have owe you a favor."

"I didn't do it all by myself... I had a team..." She countered, "Sorry we didn't tell you right away Ms. Havenbrook. We didn't know back then which god did it, so we decided to avoid telling people who have known connections to them..."

"Connections to the Gods? You... You saved a God?" Carol seemed baffled, "Is this a typical day for Hunters?"

"Not typical," Mina assured her. "But we have a few... connections in high places. Sometimes it can come in handy. At the least, it keeps the Manor safer then usual."

"And even with them... You can't deal with this threat immediately... So we need to leave..." The Horse said sadly, Live at your Manor..."

"I... I know it's hard Dad... This place is our home... But it won't be forever..." Mags replied softly, her eyes like a sad puppy.

"And what about the Animals? Our crops?" Carol placed a hand on the table.

"Don't worry... Ms. Havenbrook said she would take the animals in..." The Dreamwalker continued to her family. "As for the plants... Maybe we can ask a neighbor to take care of them..."

"If not, I can hire someone to look over your farm. Someone willing to take the risk." Mina gave the family a pleading look. "I wish I could protect everyone here, but that isn't possible. The least I can do is make sure our problems don't effect my people's families. Think of this as a vacation. Your farm will be ready and waiting for you when you get back."

"I guess we could speak to Ronna an' Tyrian... They probably have enough bodies around to just look over things..." He suggested to himself, "I guess we don't have much choice..."

However, Carol just grumbled as she made her way upstairs. "This is bullshit... Forced to leave our own home... Haven't we been through enough already?"

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sanctuary
Part Four

"Carol!" The Father said sternly, "This woman is helping us. It won't be that bad."

"I-I... I don't want ta leave either..." Selene finally broke her silence, looking up with her sad, tired eyes.

"Selene... You have to go... If she gets you..." Mags chimed in carefully.

"We'll die...? Then... Maybe you should just leave me here..." The Bird lowered her head, her face darkening.

"Selly... You don't mean that. We'd never do that. We love you..." Magdalene covered her mouth slowly.

However, tears just fell down her face as she backed up, "I... Should pack..." Then she made her way upstairs.

After the conversation, both Mags and her Pa felt drained, the latter taking a tired seat and holding his head in his hands.

Mina tapped her fingers against the table. "I... handled this poorly... I apologize."

"No... No... I-I don't know..." He shook his head. "I'm just... Tired... We're all tired..."

"Daddy..." The Middle Sister spoke, but was unable to think of anything to follow it with.

"We've been through worse... We just have to keep taking the punches..." He muttered, looking up at the two of them once more.

"Do you mind if I ask... what happened?" Mina folded her hands. "Where is... their mother?"

"Gone. My wife left years ago..." He explained, stopping there and inadvertently pressuring Mags to finish the rest.

"Carol was... Captured by slavers... She was gone for five whole years..." The Sheep said, shifting uncomfortably. "My Mom... She couldn't take it... We heard so many awful stories... She just... Broke eventually, knowing that she was suffering and there was nothing we could do... That was the last we heard of her... She didn't leave a note or say goodbye... We just woke up one morning... and she was gone..."

"I see..." Mina looked over to her father. "Sir... perhaps you could use the resources available to the guild to look for her. If it encourages you to come..."

"Every day when Carol was gone... We thought to ourselves... That all we wanted was for her to come back, that after she came home everything would be better... Normal again..." He went on lifelessly. "But when she came back... We realized that she'd never be the same again... Nothing would be the same again... Maybe it's better not to look..."

"Pa... Even if she's different, having her has to be better than her being gone..." Maggie tried to reason.

"Yeah... You're probably right... Just forget what I said..." He stood up, looking at the two plates of uneaten food that sat without a daughter in front of them, cooling slowly.

"Is there... anything I can do to help?" Mina asked.

"You're doing more than enough for us... I only wish Carol and Selene shared my gratitude..." He pushed in his chair, "Please, you two finish eating... I'll check on my daughters."

Mina watched him walk off. "I am sorry, Magdalene. But... perhaps a new environment will be good for them."

"I hope so..." She looked over, then back in the direction of her father. "He's right isn't he? Nothing will ever be the same. We just have to... do our best with what we have now..."

Mina sighed. "No... it won't be the same. But that doesn't mean things don't get better. You just need to be strong, and share you strength with your family, something that'll be easier with them close." She lowered her head. "I know what she's going through... so trust me when I say time helps."

"You do? I... I can't say I'm not curious... But I don't want to pressure you to remember something like that..."

Mina took in a deep breath, a few blonde locks covering her face. "It was twelve years ago. Crossing the Duchy of Kemar alone as a fifteen year old girl was foolish indeed. The leader of a Ophidian Bandit camp took me as his wife, and kept me drugged for months as he had his way with me. It was by luck that I escaped, and once the drugs wore off... the true horror of what I had experienced hit me at once."

"That's terrible... That that happened and you went on to become this great woman shows how strong you are." Mags complimented, her tone still low however.

"And your sister can be the same, or better," Mina assured her.

"Carol is... Stronger than anyone I've ever met... But even she can't bring herself to talk about it..." Mags sighed, "She snaps at you if you ask her about it too... I don't know what happened to her but five years of it... If you had to go through five years with that monster..."

"What happened to the people that took her," Mina asked.

"Nothing... As far as I know..." Mags answered, shaking her head. "She was rescued by the Railroad, from what I hear they just sneak in and free people without leaving a trace."

"I see. Do you... think she'll agree to come with us?"

"I think so... She loves her family more than anything. She's not the kind of person who'd leave us... I think she's just frustrated, she hates not being able to do anything." The Sheep considered.

"I can understand that feeling." Mina finished the last of her meal, sad that the rest of the family couldn't have enjoyed it and cursing herself for not waiting until after dinner. "Do you think they will agree to come tonight, or should we wait for the morning."

"We should give them the night prepare everything..." Magdalene suggested, finally getting into her food. "It'll be hard to leave... We might even need to drag Selene out... I... I still can't believe she said that... She must be feeling even worse since I left..."

Mina stood up. "I'll go let Bronson and our driver know. Do you have an extra room to accommodate us, or should we go back to the Manor?"

"You can stay in... Hmm... You could stay in the living room if you like." She offered, running the possibilities through her head. "We can set up the couches like beds... Actually, I can take the couch, you two can have my room if you want."

"Nonsense." Mina waved her hand. "We shall take the living room. You deserve to spend a night in you own bed." She quickly made her way out the door before Mags could argue.

Mags sighed, finishing her food after a few moments and then heading to bed.

After around ten minutes to settle into the cozy living room, which was warmly lit by a brick fireplace, Carol made her way to the entrance to the room, leaning on the side of the opening: watching them silently.

Bronson stood tall with his hands folded, looking ready for a fight. "I really don't think that will be needed," Mina said.

"It is what I am here for, is it not?" Bronson placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. "Do not worry, Lady Havenbrook. I shall stay on watch the entire night. In the words of the immortal philosopher Trenton..."

"Please... no more quotes. And you will not stay up on watch all night. You need sleep as much as the rest of us." Mina folded her arms. "That is an order."

Bronson grumbled, and started removing his armor. "Very well. But I won't like it."

"I don't think Maggie would be too happy if I stabbed you two in your sleep." Carol stated, rolling her eyes. "Havenbrook... Ah need to know. What do you get out of this. What's yer angle?"

"My angle?" Mina smiled at her. "I don't have one. Though if I'm being honest, there is a goddess who has it in for us, and she might be aiding the vampire. So I feel somewhat responsible. Protecting my Hunters' families eases my guilt somewhat."

"So, you're doing it so they can't hold us against you. Is this to get on Maggie's good side too?" She crossed her arms, sizing the two of them up.

"You misunderstand m'lady's meaning," Bronson declared, stripped down to an brown undershirt that showed off his strong chest and black pants. "She is not simply attempting to protect against the future. Lady Havenbrook is a fantastic business woman, but a humanitarian at her core. Though Magdalene is an employee, she treats her and all her Hunters like family, and wants what is best for them. This is why she is opening her home up to you, not simply to protect against future conflicts."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sanctuary
Part Five

Mina held up her hand. "That's enough, thank you. Point is, this has nothing to do with your sister's feelings about me. It is about taking people in possible danger and giving them refuge. You would not be the first, trust me."

"So, we're just going to go there, you're going to give us a room, and that's that?" She confirmed.

Mina shrugged. "I, um... I don't mean to brag, but taking in three people won't exactly break the bank for me. The only thing I'll ask of you three is to tend to your animals, though you are free to help in other ways if you wish. Otherwise, you will be free to my kitchens, my recreation room, my pool, and my library. And my training rooms if you wish to get some exercise, of course. All I'll ask is that you don't make waves and you avoid the basement level."

"Do ya think we could have a minute to talk? Alone?" Carol emphasized, looking the well built man up and down. "As much as I like staring at ya, I want to have an A-B conversation."

Bronson gave her a small smile. "I'll take that compliment."

Mina rose to her feet and walked into the hallway with Carol. "What's on your mind?"

"I overheard your conversation with Mags." The Cow said simply.

"Which part?" Mina shifted uncomfortably. "You mean me and... the Ophidian Raider, don't you?"

"Yeah... Sorry for evesdroppin." Carol lowered her tough girl attitude. "I just had to make sure you wouldn't hurt my family. I have to protect them. That's why I can't tell Mags, anyone, what happened to me... It's better they don't know."

"That's my apology for hearin' that. This doesn't make us friends and I swear if you ask me a word about it further I'll break your arm, I don't care who you are." The Older Sister returned to her aggressive tone. "In return, I'll pretend like I didn't hear any of your baggage."

Mina chuckled. "Alright. I hope this means you'll come back to the manor with us."

"Why not? Home is where the heart is." She smirked, "Not to mention if there are any Hunters half as smoking as you there, well... At least I'll have somethin' to do."

"Oh, trust me... you'll have the pick of the litter," Mina responded, giving a quick wink before walking back to the living room.

As Carol took to walk away, Mina noticed something. It was a small thing, a finger-sized cork barely popping up out the top of her shoe. As The Head Hunter looked on for longer, she could even see what looked yo be liquid of some kind in it.

"Carol?" she said.

"Yeah? What?" She turned around, crossing her arms.

"I can see your flask," Mina answered. "Might want to do a better job hiding it."

Carol's eyes widened, looking down at her boot. "Dammit... Must've slipped up from all the walking..."

"With all this bullshit happenin' I must not have secured it right..." The Cow muttered before looking back up at her.

"That isn't the best way to escape." Mina shook her head. "But I'm not about to tell on you. Hardly makes for a good first impression. Just remember there are healthier ways of dealing with it, like talking." Mina continued heading for the living room. "If you ever feel up for it, of course."

"It's not an escape..." Carol said, intent on stopping her as she reached down and pulled the vial out. Upon closer inspection, it seemed to be a semi opaque, cloudy white liquid, one that bore an eerie resemblance to the drug Mina had found herself drinking all those years ago. "Ah hate this shit more than anythin'."

Mina walked over and snatched it out of her hand. "Then why do you have this?! You should destroy it!"

"You heard Maggie! Ah was on this shit for Five whole years! I've tried and tried to stop, but whenever ah do, it makes me severely Ill..." Carol shouted, then begrudingly lowered her voice as to not be overheard by her family. "Worst part is they would make it stronger every year so ya couldn't develop a tolerance."

"I can help you." Mina quickly walked up to Carol. "You're just making it worse by staying on it. I know what the withdrawal pains are like. I had to quit cold turkey because I simply didn't have access to it, and I remember long nights, sweating profusely, my stomach in knots as the cravings tore at me. It will be harder for you, but there are options for you I didn't have. We have a whole team of witches and mages that can get you off of it. But you have to want to."

"You don't get it! Five years! You really think you can just magic it away!? I've tried! Nothin' seems to work!" Carol said, clenching her fist and stomping her foot. "An' I don't know what weak shit you were on! But this? They filtered this shit! That's what Peacock told me! Whenever I don't get my fix, it feels like being impaled! Like a screwdriver through yer' brain, the headaches!"

"So that's it?" Mina scoffed. "You won't even give me a chance to help you?"

"I've tried...!" She growled, "What makes yer Witches better than any other?"

"Give them a chance. That's all I'm asking." Mina reluctantly handed the vial back. "If not for yourself... then at least for your family."

"Fine..." She closed her fingers around it slowly. "Thank you..."

"You welcome. Like I said... I at least have a small idea what you're going through." Mina patted her on the shoulder before heading back to get some sleep.

The next time Mina woke, it was morning, the chirping of the Mockingbirds filling the air alongside the chickens crowing at Sunrise.

The first thing she saw when she awoke were a number of bags already set up at the door, Magdalene being up exceptionally early and packing them.

Mina rubbed her eyes as she walked up to the sheep woman. "What time you get up?"

"Huh? A while ago... Selene couldn't get the energy to do it, so I'm just packing up her things for her..." The Sheep yawned, patting one of the bags.

"Here, let me help." Mina looked back into the living room and frowned. "Where is that meat head? Please tell me Bronson wasn't up all night keeping watch out in the cold."

"He's dedicated." Mags smiled, pulling a long sleeve grey shirt from a pack of clothes and looking it over. "I worry about Selene... She just spends all her time in her room these days... She's become more and more reclusive..."

"I, um... I know how that feels. My brother..." Mina trailed off and cleared her throat. "Anyway, I'm sure there are more then enough people to help her get out of her shell at the Manor. Being near you in particular." She leaned down, looking over the bags and making sure they were zipped and buckled tight.

"She's not shy... She just... Doesn't have the energy to talk..." The Sheep said, it seemed as though that was the last of the shirts. "When Carol was taken... We just felt useless... Helpless... It was even worse that that day Selene had a bit of an argument with her... You could tell that the words she said then played through her head a lot... I think they still do..."

Mina hesitated before asking, "What... was said?"

"It was over something dumb... I think Selene was upset at Carol because she left the window open and a some outside birds got into her special birdseed..." Mags explained, looking up the stairs out of the corner of her eye. "I was downstairs at the time, but I heard Selene say she hated her... I know she didn't mean it, she was just so frustrated... but after that's when Carol came to me and took me to the market with her... And that was when..."

Mina slowly turned her head towards her. "That's when what?"

"She was taken... I was with her when it happened..."

"Oh... I see. And your younger sister spent five years with the thought, 'the last thing I said to her was that I hated her', huh?"

"Yeah... At least... That's what I think..." Magdalene responded. "Since she returned, Carol has told her repeatedly that it didn't matter and she knows she didn't mean it... but... Its like it goes through one ear and out the other... I don't know why..."

"Five years... it is a long time for that to get stuck in her head." Mina sighed and lifted a couple bags. "This will be good for them. With any luck, and without farmwork for them to bury their thoughts into, maybe they'll all walk away from this better off. You too."

"Ms- um... Mina..." The Sheep said, getting closer. "I just want to thank you... This means... Everything to me..."

Mina bowed her head a bit. "You can pay me back by continuing to do such a good job. You did protect our dreams, after all. That deserves some compensation."

Suddenly, Mags' eyes watered lightly, opening up her arms and pulling the Lead Hunter in for a hug.

Black0ut

Black0ut and ZombieSplitter53 present:
Unsuspecting Heritage
Havenbrook Manor,
Outside Gate

August 7th, 3349
1:34 p.m.

The Wolf Thrope breathed in, and exhaled out as she stretched. While she had set most of her pupils at what they considered 'hard'. Titania's usually left her unable to run for a day or two. As such, she had taken special care to wear her leg bracers as well as a pair of and an ill-fitting tank top that a friend had lent her. She got down into a runner's stance, breathing in as she counted the seconds down. Three... Two... One. And with that she was gone from the Havenbrook Manor, as it soon faded away into the treeline. As she continued down the path, she saw several wolves she had met earlier and briefly wished them a good day, not sticking around for their response. But the lapse of attention meant that she soon tripped over her own two feet, hitting the ground once, twice, thrice, before she finally stopped. She laid there for awhile, not wishing to see if she had managed to hurt herself.

"Whoa," a female voice said nearby. "That was quite a tumble. Would you like some help?"

"Maybe a bit, stranger." Titania responded, as she looked over in the direction of the voice.

A bright-eyed young woman with long, red-orange hair knelt in front of Titania. She was wearing a white and grey get-up, similar looking to a school uniform. She offered her a hand. "Please, let me help you up. Break anything?"

As she reached up with her left hand, her wrist began to ache with a very sharp pain that caused the Thrope to yelp, before reaching out with her other hand. "Maybe a broken wrist at worst..." Titania murmured, as she got her feet. "Thanks, Ms...?"

"Here, let me see your wrist," the woman said gently.

Titania gently cradled her bad wrist with her good hand and offered it to the woman, slightly confused as to why the woman wanted her wrist, but still listening to her regardless.

The woman held it softly, with the care of a mother's touch. She hummed softly as a glow came from her hands. It had an odd aura, one Titania wasn't familiar. After only ten seconds, the pain was completely gone.

"Woah..." Titania managed to get out as she moved her wrist slowly, recalling light magic healing but getting a feeling this was something different. Looking towards the woman she offered a friendly smile, "Thank you for healing me! I truly do appreciate it."

"Anytime, my dear." The stranger smiled back. "May I ask... what is your name?"

"Titania. And you, ma'am?" The Thrope asked, as she flexed her newly healed wrist.

"My name?" The woman scratched her cheek. "It's... Anise. It is a pleasure to meet you. What... is your last name, if I might ask."

"I don't really have one anymore... I left home to escape my duties in my family, and ended up working as a Hunter down at the Havenbrook Guild." Titania explained, making sure to leave out her family name. "If you didn't mind telling me, what's your last name, Anise?"

"Afraid I don't have one. I might have, but I forgot it a long time ago." Anise waved her hand forward. "Mind if we walk and talk?”

"Seeing as you healed me with magic, sure! It's the least I can do." Titania replied as she waited to follow Anise.

The pair walked side by side, that alone seeming to make the stranger happy. "So, please, tell me about life at your guild."

"Well, I got a few people from my past at the guild who I'm quite happy to have back. The missions can sometimes be a little harrowing but I think they've made me a better person overall... but the pay is good, and I enjoy the more senior staff, even though I might bump heads with a few." Titania explained, offering a somewhat dreamy smile as she recalled her time at the guild. "Still, they're as close as one can get to being family without being blood."

"Have you completely given up on your family though." Anise quickly shook her head. "S-sorry, that was... too blunt."

"N-no, it is a valid question... in some ways, yes, I have. I no longer speak to them, but I do send messages to them via mail. I still love them, and wish them the best, but... beyond that... well, it doesn't take a genius to realize I'm estranged from them enough that I don't use my full name anymore." Titania answered somewhat regretfully, a hint of sadness tinging her voice.

"Y-yes, well... Well it is good to do something to... keep in touch." Anise stared forward with tired eyes. "I... if you don't, you know... years and years can pass, and you come to realize you want to be with a member of your family, and even if you thought leaving them was for a good reason you still want that connection, but you end up realizing that... that they are so far from you that... you don't even know how to possibly connect with them without being rejected... you know?"

"Yeah... I know. But you never know what that person might say or do. Who knows, maybe that person of yours will accept you, and all you were doing was just worrying needlessly. People often surprise you when you least expect it." Titania soothed, putting her hands behind her head.

"Yeah... maybe. Titania, um... I, uh..." Anise cleared her voice. "I... I know who you are. Like, um... who you were then and are now."

Titania narrowed her eyes becoming somewhat suspicious of the woman. "And just how would you know that?"

"I, um... I'm a friend of your father's. An old friend, but I... stayed in touch, sorta."

"I... see." The Wolf Thrope said with a hint of uncertainty, "So what now? You gonna tell him where I work? Have him drag me back to Bevland so I can be betrothed to some other noble?"

"What? No! God's, no!" Anise threw up her hands. "I-I just wanted to meet you! I... wait, was your father going to force you to marry some pig headed noble?"

"That was the plan, yes. And coincidentally, why I ran. Apparently, I'm trade fodder that he wanted use to get close to one of the Human Houses. I forget the name, but... until he drops it, I can't go home." Titania explained, as she started rubbing her temples.

"Bastard," Anise mumbled. "This is not what I wanted for you when I... ahem..."

"What do you mean 'what you wanted for me'?" Titania asked crossing her arms as she raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing,I... I just gave him some advice a while ago." Anise smiled sheepishly. "But he had no reason to listen me, right? Not like I'm... your mother..."

Titania raised an eyebrow, clearly suspecting something. "Hmm... why the change of tone? You’re making me wonder if your name really is Anise. ‘Cause you're acting pretty peculiar..."

Anise's eyes started to shift about. "This was a mistake," she muttered. "I need to leave." She started to walk faster, going into a sprint.

"Hey!" Was all that Titania could manage to think to say as she sped up to catch up with the woman.

"Please, just... forget you met me!" Surprisingly, Anise started to move faster and faster.

"Kinda hard when you start running away from me! Why are you so fast?!" Titania called from behind as she went faster as well.

Anise picked up even more speed. "Stop following me or you'll hurt your legs!" She insisted.

"Not... until... you... stop!" Titania called out, as she increased her speed once more, feeling a twinge of pain in her legs from the heightened speeds that caused her to grimace. Must be a god... she's running so fast that we're approaching 'blurring' speed...

Anise looked back, and saw the pain in Titania's face. She suddenly stopped, so fast the Titania ran past her.

The Thrope tried to slow down by running a tad slower but couldn't turn around fully, instead crashing into a nearby tree with enough force that an ominous cracking sound echoed out. Titania gasped for air, the breath knocked out of her, as she looked down at her legs. One of Edminfar's supports broke, part of the metal having been bent into her leg at such an angle it cut through her skin. As soon as she had a single breath, she let a low-pitch cry of pain, gritting her teeth. "Gods dammit... he's going to hit me with his hammer when I tell him how it broke..." Titania groaned, as she crawled slowly towards the tree to prop herself up.

Black0ut

Unsuspecting Heritage, cont.

Anise was at her side a few seconds later, pulling off her bracer and healing her. "I'm so sorry! I forgot how fast you were..."

"What do you mean ‘you forgot how fast I am'? Have you seen me run before?" Titania asked somewhat numbly, some shock sinking in.

Anise nodded. "Yes... yes, I have. I've been watching you for a while now..."

"Well, that's slightly unnerving..." Titania murmured, rubbing the back of her head. "How can you outrun me? That's never happened before..."

"Well, I, um..." She shook her head. "I promised your father I wouldn't... just... I didn't tell you my real name. I didn't want to alarm you. Mortals usually don't act the same if they know they are talking to a god... either because they revere them, or simply dislike them."

"So, a goddess has affiliated herself with House Regallis... why? We're not the richest or most powerful of houses, and we only carry mild influence with the realm, with the exception of our fellow nobles liking us for our morals... so why? Why follow the child of a noble, who has fled from her arranged marriage?"

"Well, what... would you think if I said I had a... p-personal stake in you and your life?" the goddess asked.

"I'd be wondering what you mean, first and foremost." Titania said warily, rubbing the back of her head, "And I'd be stupid if I didn't wonder why a Goddess knew my father in the first place."

"Can I... can I tell you something without you... being too upset?" the goddess asked. "No... that's a stupid question. You would be a fool not to be upset..."

"I'll remain as calm as I possibly can." Titania assured, turning around and digging her claws into the bark of the tree she was leaning on.

"First of all, I'm sorry for the fake name. I'm Ranseca, Messenger of the Gods."

"It's alright. Destani may have told me his name but he did so after the scary time... hole tried to get me, and after I arrived in a different… time. So, not the first time the Gods haven't told me something." Titania said with forced cheeriness, still waiting to hear what the Goddess was going to reveal.

Ranseca nodded. "How... How much do you... love your mother?"

"A fair amount... why?" The Thrope answered, digging her claws deeper into the wood.

Ranseca sighed. "Titania... have you ever truly wondered where your powers come from?"

"No, not really." Titania answered, cracking her neck as she stared down the Messenger Goddess. "But if I had to guess, you're going to tell me it's you? That you're the cause of all my powers? I'm going to say I find that a little hard to believe. My parents are mortals, not gods."

Ranseca lowered her gaze. "But... b-big one of them... was a god... goddess..."

"So... you're saying you're my mother. When I was born to mortal parents. Okay... I've traveled through time so... I guess that it's possible... but I'm going to need some explanations to help prove to me that you're telling the truth. Like how I was born to mortal parents, yet you claim you're mom?" Titania questioned, digging her hands through the tree a bit more.

Ranseca slowly shook her head. "I didn't want you to find out this way... if at all. But... b-but... you mother... isn't your mother. I am..."

"How?" Was all that Titania asked, as she suddenly felt air on her hands, having bore holes through the tree she had effectively chained herself to.

"I... y-years ago... your father and I..." Ranseca lowered her gaze. "No one is perfect. Mortals... or gods. We all give in to desire..."

"Still doesn't explain why I have a mortal mother." Titania stubbornly pointed out, still having a bit of skepticism towards the Goddess' story.

"Well... w-we didn't want to mess up the relationship between your parents, a-and I wasn't ready for a child at the time, so I... transferred you for me... to your mortal mother..."

"I don't believe the messenger goddess can transport life from one bod- wait... there's only one Goddess that… and that other God..." Titania scrunched her face up as she tried to recall what the two gods were named. "Mevah and Pen- something. So you transferred me away, via Mevah or Pen, and then never came to visit. Never said a word to me until today. Ever think I would actually want to know or were you planning on keeping it a secret this entire time?"

"I-I was... supposed to keep it a secret forever," Ranseca admitted. "You father felt that was for the best. I did too... I thought I did anyway... until now..."

Titania let out a deep growl, one of her eyes popping feral but she wasn't looking at the Goddess anymore instead looking away. "Well... thanks, I suppose. If I have enough time I might revisit my estate and let my mortal mother know of my father's... indiscretion. That'll..." The Wolf Thrope took a deep breath and tried to speak a bit more calmly, "Screw his life up and hers. Gods... what changed? Y'know, for you to say something?"

"I-I... just..." Ranseca held her arm and looked away. "I am the messenger of the Gods. Which means I bring messages to and from them for your guild. So I know all the danger you have been facing lately thanks to Tecunte. If... If something were to happen without you ever even knowing me... I... this is so selfish of me. I ruined everything. But I had to talk to you at least once!"

"You haven't ruined everything, just... complicated my life a bit. But I'll manage, I always do." Titania said somewhat morosely, her voice indicating her mental exhaustion at the incredulous events, as she laid against a tree. "So far, you're a stranger to me, not a mother, nor truly family. But if you just talk with me on a somewhat normal-ish basis, that'll probably change. So, I'll start: I know I can run ridiculously fast to the point people can't see me, but I think you can run faster than me. But... you never seem to get hurt by your running. Is that a god thing or...?"

"It is, in a sense, but that doesn't mean you can't be like that too." Ranseca smiled. "Don't you see? If you are my daughter, that makes you a demigod. You just need to unlock your full potential."

"And how does one do that?" Titania asked, rubbing one of her ears nervously.

"Well, you were given a kind of... limiter when you changed wombs." Ranseca shrugged. "You started off inside a goddess, which would naturally make you stronger, so your power had to be sealed a bit for the protection of your Thrope mother. You and I just need to train and practice until we break through that limiter and unleash the power already inside you."

"Okay... I'll be happy to train with you, but... first things first..." Titania stepped close, and proceeded to slug her Godly mother's shoulder as hard as she could.

"That's for allowing my father for commit adultery. You have thousands of years on him, so you have no excuse as to why you weren't able to stop yourself." Titania snapped before waiting a few moments to extend her hand towards the goddess. "But without you I wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't be able to care for the people I do. So... thanks, I guess."

Ranseca rolled her shoulder. "Ow..." She cautiously took Titania's hand. "If it helps... that was decades ago, and you father has been completely faithful ever since. At least as far as I know."

"That helps somewhat, but still doesn't undo what he did." Titania replied, as she cracked her neck. "I... um... can I ask you for a favor?"

Ranseca quickly nodded. "Yes. Of course. Anything."

"Can you take me back to the Guild? I kinda can't, uh, get there on my own, within the day, without my leg bracers intact..." Titania asked, looking away in slight embarrassment.

Her mother laughed. "Sorry about that. Just need to build up some speed..." She suddenly started running in a wide circle, building up speed so carrying Titiania would be faster. It only took a few seconds until she grabbed Titania and they were speeding off towards the Guild. "If we work together, maybe we can get you as fast as me without those terrible leg pains."

"That would be... nice. Maybe also the control you have with your speed... I mean, I don't want to run into another tree." Titania agreed, briefly watching the landscape pass at the remarkable speeds they were.

"You do have a problem with that," Ranseca muttered. "By the way, um... can I ask you for a favor?"

"Seeing as how you're going to train me, I don't really think I can say no..." Titania replied, scratching her head, "But if I had a choice the answer would still be the same."

Ranseca shook her head, skidding to a stop inside the garden of the Manor. "You... you can say no if you want. You know... we just met... kinda. I don't expect you to see me as your mother, but would you be offended if I referred to as... my daughter from time to time? Or would that be too weird?"

Titania was silent for a moment, but gently stepped onto the ground before looking at the immortal woman "It might take me awhile to call you mom, but with enough time..."

Ranseca nodded, trying to hide how happy that looked. "Well, um... I have some duties to perform... and you have to get those bracers fixed. But... if you aren't busy tomorrow..."

"I shouldn't be too busy... I mean, I act as one of the trainers for the guild's newest Hunters, but it’s more of a hobby, so... I'm free." Titania answered, giving a small smile.

Ranseca nodded. "Alright. It... was nice seeing you like this, no matter how it turns out... m-my d-dear."

"It was nice seeing you too, Goddess. I hope… I hope this works out. I... I do want to get to know you beyond the whole Goddess thing..." Titania replied, her voice unsure and slightly more timid than usual.

"Of course. Um..." Ranseca laughed nervously. "B-bye." She quickly ran off, disappearing in a flash.

"It's alarming how similar she is to me... she even runs away when she’s flustered..." Titania murmured, shaking her head as she reentered the guild, not looking forward to the talk she would have to have with Edminfar.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Next Assignment, Forest of Black Trees

The Bar
August 8th, 3349
7:59 a.m.

Early morning in the Havenbrook Manor was predictably quiet. Gratefully so for those Hunters returning from difficult jobs and wishing for sound sleep. The first floor bar was closed at this time, partially because it was a bit too early to be drinking, but mainly because Mina and Eraqus found it a comfortable place to talk business and go over lengthy performance reviews. No business was without its paperwork and reviews of employees, and the Havenbrook Organization was no exception.

As they were wrapping up, both Hunters on their third cup of coffee for the morning, the long time Elf Hunter cleared his throat. "I wanted to as you... ahem, about the demon girl. Eliza, right?"

Mina held up a hand. "We have been over this, my friend. I am sorry for not telling you about her. Call it... unintentional payback for not telling me about Methos. Still a little annoyed about that..."

Eraqus chuckled. "I'm fine with the secret. You were right not to tell me. Don't care much for them. Still... getting used to the idea of one flying around..."

"Please don't open that can of worms again," Mina stated.

"I'm not. I'm more concerned about Fairaven and the means by which we got the girl back."

"Ah." Mina smiled and took a sip of her coffee. "They fussed. Boy, did they fuss. Had to put on my warrior face for that argument."

"That serious, huh?" Eraqus said with a laugh.

"That serious. They actually demanded we give her back! Said we took her illegally. I mentioned Eliza overheard them say they weren't going to give her over."

"Which you said to protect the one who actually told her that," Eraqus clarified.

Mina nodded. "Right. They said it was preposterous, went on about the 'sloppy clean up job we did', they yelled, I yelled, we both yelled at the same time so we couldn't hear each other. Ultimately, I just laid all the cards on the table. Said, look... you can come after us if you want. But either she comes to us as part of a contract..."

"A secret contract that does exist," Eraqus stated.

"...or she is an escaped test subject they lost and we found, and they have no claim over."

"Because her existence and the research on her would not have been officially documented." Erauqs raised his cup. "Sounds to me like you had them by the balls."

"And I was ready to squeeze." Mina shrugged and leaned back. "A flat out said there was nothing they could do. They try and take us on, we'll bury them with our knowledge of the Chimera. I told them to call again if they have a more legitimate job for us, hung up on them... and they haven't called again."

Eraqus' eyes shifted about. "You know... it just occurred to me. If they go after us, we could take them down with our knowledge of what they did. But... but if they were to be found out..."

Mina quickly picked up on what he as on about. "They could drag us down with them."

"Oh, that is quite a pickle, isn't it." The two Hunters sprang to their feet at the sound of Tecunte's voice, they goddess sitting at the bar, a martini in hand. "You mess with them, but the truth is, you are both in trouble. The last thing you want to happen is for Mirandia to learn the truth about the Chimera. Because after this fiasco, they will not hesitate to bring you down with them."

Mina sighed. "And if that happens, Mirandia coming after us is the best scenario... and them declaring war on Serasam along with Fairaven..."

"Is the worse, yes." The Chaos Goddess took a sip of her drink. "It's a good thing you did such a good job cleaning up and disposing of those beasts."

"You planned all this so even if you lost this time, you could still set up steps to spread your damn chaos." Eraqus sneered at her. "I guess we underestimate you. Didn't think you could be so c-"

"Clever?" Tecunte offered.

"Conniving," Eraqus corrected.

"I'll take that as a compliment." Eraqus drew his sword, and the goddess waved her hand. "Stop, stop. You know how this will end. I'm not here to fight anyway. I'm here to give you your next task."

"Give it to us?" Mina slowly walked towards her. "You made us look for and guess when and where you were involved for Mirandia and Stormrend. Why is it different now?"

"So suspicious!" Tecunte laughed. "Why can't you just except the fact that maybe... maybe I just want to reward you for doing so well. I might have lost, but I'm not in a bad mood. After all, I get a dozen more chances, and I only have to get a single win."

"The last time I saw you, it was obvious you don't take losing that well," Lady Havenbrook stated flatly.

"Believe whatever you want." Tecunte put her martini down and cracked her knuckles. "Well... here we go." She quickly held her hands out, and the pair were enveloped in darkness.

The dark depths of blackness were gone as quickly as it appeared, and the pair found themselves in a lush forest. "Where are we?" Eraqus thought out loud, turning his head around to try and pick up familiar landmarks.

"Neren'teva," Mina answered, sighing. "A long way from home."

"You sure," the Elf asked, surprised by her quick answer.

"Pretty sure. The heat in this forest means it is to the far north." She pointed to a tree branch. "There are no sloths in Stormrend. And I'm pretty sure a saw these kinds of trees in Neren'teva. I used to vacation here, remember. I'm willing to bet Tecunte took that in mind."

"She could have just told us to come here," Eraqus stated in irritation.

"That would be rational, and she doesn't do rational." Mina glanced over to her oldest friend. "You remember what Titania told us. Seclavar said his mother is losing it more and more."

The sky quickly started to darken. Violent black clouds simply consumed the sky, unnatural purple lightening striking across them. All around, the sounds of unknown cries and growls and gurgles rang out. Mina reflexively reached to her side, but her weapon was not with her. "Stay near me," Eraqus told her, walking close.

"Should we run for it?" Mina offered a suggestion.

"We're surrounded." Eraqus slowly scanned beyond the dark trees. "Whatever is out there, it's big." They stood in silence, both listening carefully. "There," Eraqus whispered, pointing to the left. "A hole... run!"

The two took off like a bat out of hell. Mina was faster then Eraqus with no weapon or armor to weigh her down, so she made sure to stay with his pace. Weaponless, she would need to rely on him. Suddenly, they both had to duck their heads down. A tree seemed like it tried to grab them! Was it a trick of the eyes? Again! They dodged around a tree that seem alive, black and twisted. Faster they ran, their lungs on fire, legs in so much pain. But they pushed harder and harder. Ahead! Three more of those dark trees, blocking the path. No time to turn, no time to stop, they ran directly towards them...

Blackness consumed them again, and they were suddenly in the bar again. They nearly clashed into the wall, but instead collapsed against it. They huffed and gasped for air, trying to catch their breath. Tecunte was gone, only her empty glass left behind. "What... was... that?" Eraqus managed to get out.

"Our next... target." Mina wiped the sweat from her forehead. "Guess we... got some research... to do," she added grimly.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53
Deepened Connections

August 9th 3349
11:33 a.m.

It was a slow day as Esmeralda sat in the library, looking over the books like she always did, her eyes were draw towards the sound of the door opening, a face she recognized from her songs at the Bar coming through.

Magdalene quickly made her way over to the front desk, smiling lightly as the bookkeeper. "Um... H-Hello. Esmeralda, right?"

"That's right. You've been here a while, but we haven't met personally yet." The Light Elf looked disappointed. "Seems like a crime. But at least that isn't the case now, right Ms. Annahsvere?"

"E-Everybody calls me Mags." She smiled, trying to choose her words carefully as not to ruin her first impression, "I'm from a farm a few miles from here, in fact, my family just moved into the Manor yesterday."

"Yes, I heard about that." Es looked a bit put off. "It is because of that mean ol' vampire in the castle, isn't. Threatening us, putting your family in danger. Why, if I could get my hands on her, I'd... I'd... give her such strong words!"

"Um... Uh... Oh! I heard that you're with that knight, right? Charter? I don't trust rumors on their own, so that's why I'm asking." Mags asked after struggling to make small talk.

"Yes, indeed! In fact..." Esmeralda giggled and rubbed her belly. "He and I are having a baby."

"Aww! That's so sweet..." The Sheep smiled. "I'm with... Z-Zulik... But... He's been putting some distance between Me and Him lately... I t-think he thinks I'd be better off away from him..."

Esmeralda flipped over her counter and sat on it, kicking her legs lightly. "Maybe... it is time for you to move on. I mean, I like Zulik well enough, but he is such a solitary guy. And I am sure he wouldn't mind if you decided you wanted someone... who appreciates the company of a woman more. Or has the time for it, as he drowns himself in missions."

Mags' face saddened, looking down. "I think he's trying to protect me... All of these corrupted people who're after him might put me in danger... I'm not nearly as strong as he is..."

Esmeralda sighed. "Yeah... I know how you feel. It sucks being the weakling sometime. But I've heard, if the two of us were to fight, you'd kick my butt no problem. Might not be much, but at least you're strong in that way."

"Aren't you a Mage? All I could do is put you to sleep." The Farmgirl said lightheartedly.

"Yeah, but all I can do is a few light tricks. And float. Oh!" Es leaned back and grabbed something, handing it to Mags. "I have these! Home made smoke bombs, in case I need to escape. Want one?"

"Sure!" Mags said, holding hand out, "They look just the right size for my sling too!"

"Really? You want one?" Esmeralda placed it in her hand. "Usually, people just make fun of me. Thank you."

"Why would anyone make fun of you?" She asked, titled her head. "I think you're delightful."

"Why, thank you!" Esmeralda clapped her hands together. "Would you... like to hang out, maybe?"

"Sure... Let's see..." Mags tapped her chin, raising her finger suddenly. "I have an idea! On the way back from my farm I saw that there was a caravan of merchants in town! Maybe the two of us could check it out, I think I even saw a bookstore!"

"A-a new bookstore? In Cleardavon?" Esmeralda's eyes lit up like a child on St. Nichola's Day morning. "You... wouldn't find that... boring?"

"I like books! Fantasies and Fables mostly though..." Magdalene replied, lowering her posture a little.

"Though what?" Es dropped to the floor and crouched down. "Is it a secret? I like secrets. Good at keeping them too."

"It's just that some people think Fantasy is for kids... It doesn't help that I like fancy illustrations in my books..." She admitted shyly.

"Oh, I do love a good fantasy story. I have quite the extended one myself. You should peruse it sometime if you haven't already." Es giggled. "I can even recommend some with the most wonderful of artwork within. I mean... who cares what others might think as long as you are enjoying yourself, right?"

"You're right... You know... Don't quote me on this, but I think it was even an Antique Bookstore..." Mags smiled, leaning in for dramatic effect.

Es squealed a bit. "Are you busy now? Maybe we can hurry, and catch them before they sell out of any rare finds!"

"Sounds good! I'm sure Ms.Havenbrook won't miss me for a day." The Thrope answered, Es' excitement slight contagious.

"Well, let's go!" Es ran to the back of the library. There was clanking and clattering and banging. She rushed back over a few minutes later, a sun hat on her head to match her sundress, along with a sizeable purse which clanged a bit with a exceeding large number of coins within. "Come, come. Let us hasten to your room, get you ready, and get to the city. Post haste." She floated a few feet off the ground. "Wanna ride?"

"Uh... Okay!" She said, grabbing her arm. "I think I have something nice to wear..."

Es pulled her up, easy even for her as Mags wasn't very heavy, and formed a second wind gust under her. Side by side, they flew through the halls, Mags directing them to her room. Esmeralda respectfully stayed out in the hall, fidgeting and twiddling her thumbs in anticipation.

The Sheep came out quickly, and when she did she was wearing not a dress, but rather a frilly white shirt with a loose black corset and light grey pants combination. It was the kind of outfit that would fit more with a male, the only defining feminine parts being a loosed bust, a slimmer waist, and a wide brimmed, feathered hat.

"Oh..." Esmeralda clapped her hands together and smiled. "It looks delightful. Quaint. Subtle. Reserved, but not in way that totally eliminates femininity. The kind of look that says, 'I look good, I know I look good, and if you want to see any more of how good I look, you have to work for it'. You are, in a word, cute. In two, wonderfully cute."

"Thanks. I've barely ever wore this... The only other times were during Harp practice..." The Sheep chuckled, looking over herself.

"Well... I think you look beautiful for those who would be looking, but won't draw the eyes of... you know." Es leaned close. "Unsavory people," she whispered like she was cursing. Standing up straight, she said, "Alright, let's go get some horses." She walked down the hallway with Mags and asked, "You know how to ride, right?"

"Of course, My Dad taught me." She answered, following just behind. "I used to even do races when I was little."

"Of course, My Dad taught me." She answered, following just behind. "I used to even do races when I was little."

"Whoa, really?" The Light Elf giggled. "Now that you mention it, You're the perfect size for a jockey. I bet you won all the time."

"Um... Not really... But I had fun" Mags shrugged.

"That is what's most important." Esmeralda led them to the well tended horses. As they picked out a pair, Es glanced down to the end of the stocks. "Huh... when did we get sheep?"

"Oh, those are ours... Ms. Havenbrook let us bring them with us..." Mags said, patting on of the sheep on the head. "This is Meimi."

"Meimi? That is an adorable name!" Es lightly scratched behind the animal's ear. "An adorable name for an adorable sheepy."

Magdalene chuckled, "She likes you."

"Good. Because I like her." Es blinked a few times. "Oh, naughty sheepy, distracting me with your cuteness. Come on, Mags. We don't want to miss out on the bookstore!"

"Right! Sorry! Let's get going!" She responded, mounting a snowy white horse. "I think it was the dark purple tent in the center of town."

Esmeralda herself rode a golden brown horse she had grown fond of. The pair chatted all the way to town, laughing and getting to know each other. When they arrived in town, they indeed found several shops in the center, including a sizable purple tent. Esmeralda held her hands together. "S-so, uh... which shop you... wanna go to first?"

"Why save the best for last? Besides, like you said, we have to get there before the best books sell out!" The Thrope said, finding a place nearby to tie the horse.

Es did the same, then quickly grabbed Magdeline's hand. "Come on, come on!" She practically dragged the sheep woman into the tent.

The Tent itself was quite large, easily big enough to hold entire shelves full of books. The Atmosphere was part Dust, and part incense to cover it up, creating a strange purple mist in the air. At the back of the tent was a older man, a long, braided beard flowing down his face standing behind the counter. Next to him, sitting in a wooden, old looking chair, was a much younger, red-headed man who couldn't have been older than twenty.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Deepened Connections
Part Two

The young man smiled at the ladies, pointing to a smaller shelf in the middle back of the tent, just in front of the two men. "Hello Ladies, first editions are on the center shelf there, everything else is on the sides. Most of what we have can be traced back to one hundred years old."

The Older man grunted, pointing his thumb right, then left, to two glass cases, neatly packed with much older looking tomes. "Anything older than that, two hundred, three hundred, you can find in those cases... No touching."

"Oh... no touching?" Esmeralda pouted for a moment, at least until she looked over the first editions and gasped. "The complete works of Levernoft... I... the original print was only one hundred copies!"

He held up a finger, "Only the older books. The other books are fine, just be sure to handle carefully."

The younger man gave an eyeroll, hopping over the counter, "Yeah, we got that off an renowned Fairaven bookkeeper. Pretty impressive right?"

"Oh, yes. But, um..." Es chuckled nervously. "How are your prices?"

"Well, for you-" He smiled before being cut off.

"The same price. We bought it for Five Thousand, ten percent mark-up is Five Thousand Five Hundred." He held a hand up. "However, due to the rarity. It's currently going for Six Thousand Five hundred."

"Sixty-five hundred... g-gold?"

"We also barter. If you have anything you'd like to trade." He added, placing his hands on the counter.

"I, um... I do have some books of my own." We leaned close to Mags and whispered, "I collect extras of rare books when I find them, just in case. Hence my bulking purse." Standing up again, she said, "We're going to look around, see everything we might want."

However, Mags wasnt next to her, instead her gaze was fixed on something strange in the corner near the old books. It was a glass display case like the others, however it was only big enough for one book and the only thing in it was a single, worn page, covered in indecipherable scrawlings. "What's this?"

"That?" The younger gentleman confirmed, walking over. "You've got a good eye. This is a page from the Gommorah's Lexicon, Melanae's Notebook, more commonly known as the Dreamer's Journal. It dates back to a time before Methos' attempt to take conquest over the world."

"Well, how much is that?" Esmeralda asked, coming over to give a fascinated look.

"Pfft..." The Old Man said, leaning on his hand. "It's only value is as a collectors item, no one can read it... Honestly I've had it for so long I just want rid of it."

"Well, we'll take it off your hands." Esmeralda looked down at Mags. "If you're interested in it."

"Of course..." Mags said, looking it over. "What's this language?"

"Well, if you go by the stories, Melanae was one of Methos' closest adherants. It was said she even took to the Nightgaunts like a family. So she wrote her Journal in a script only Nightgaunts could understand." The Redhead explained, standing next to the case.

"A Nightgaunt... Script?" Mags muttered, looking at the strange document.

"Well, whatever it says, I'll sell it for... One thousand gold." He said, stroking his beard.

"Wait... Baphomet... I think I might be able to decipher this..." The Sheep stated simply.

"Wait... a thousand for a piece of paper?" Esmeralda placed her hands on her hips. "You said you just wanted to get rid of it at this point! And you're going to charge us a thousand?"

"It's still ten times older than you are... Tell you what... If little lady is right and she can decipher it... I'll mark it down to only One Hundred fifty gold." He said, looking over at Mags. "That's my lowest price."

"That sounds good, right?" The Sheep asked Esmeralda, looking over at her.

"That sounds really good." Esmeralda placed a hand on her shoulder. "So where do we find this friend of yours?"

"Well... We need to... Go to sleep." Mags whispered to Esmeralda.

"Um... now? Right here?" Esmeralda turned to the owners. "Hey... mind if we take a little nap?"

Both men looked at eachother strangely, "And this has something to do with translating it?"

"Yeah." The Older Man joined his Son.

"Trust us, besides it will only take a few moments." Magdalene said, pulling two stacked chairs from behind the counter.

"Just... Take a Seat..."

Esmeralda sat in one. "This has to do with those dream powers of yours, right? How exciting. But... I don't feel tired at all."

"Don't worry... I've been trying a trick to localize my Sleep effect." She said, pulling out her harp. "Just... When we go in, he'll look a little scary at first, but don't be scared..."

Mags took a deep breath, strumming her harp while using her magic to concentrate the sleep spell on Esmeralda, a semi-transparent green orb of magic forming around her and increasing the sleep effect's power much more than normal. The Shopkeepers could still hear the song, but were unaffected thanks to The Sheep's concentration, merely looking on with curiosity.

Esmeralda quickly slipped asleep. When she opened her eyes again, she was in the tent, but it was huge. Wall to wall books of every kind. And a big sign hung over the counter. All the books you want for one copper! Es thought she would faint. She quickly reached for her purse. But it was gone! No! All the books she could ever want, and she forgot her wallet! "Curses!" She yelled loudly and dramatically.

Finding her quickly by just following the books, The Sheep walked up behind her, dropping some gold into her hand. "What a nice dream..."

Esmeralda scooped her up and hugged her tight. "Thank you so much! Now I..." She blinked. "A dream? Oh, yeah... I forgot."

"That's okay." Magdalene smiled, looking around. There she spotted the page case once again, but this time a tall, dark cloaked figure was in front of it.

The Sheep walked forward slowly, confident it was Baphomet, but still not wanting to risk anything. "Baphomet? Is that you?"

"This is quite the curiousity you've found Magdalene..." He said in his ominous voice. "And you've brought a friend."

Esmeralda knees shook until they gave out. "Y-you... have s-some interesting friends, M-Mags."

Mags scratched her neck awkwardly. "Y-You haven't even seen his face yet..."

"Y-yeah... maybe that will make me less scared." Esmeralda slowly stood up. "So, Mr. Beph... Befim... So, Beffy, can you translate it?"

"Hmm... Perhaps... There is a problem apparent, however... You see, Nightgaunts do not have a written script, so this language... Is peculiar to me..." He replied, turning around to reveal his lack of a face, horns poking out of the top of the hood.

Esmeralda gasped so hard, she started to hiccup. It went on for a few seconds before she realized it was only a dream, and was able to stop. "Y-you're... a handsome fellow... heh heh. Ahem, w-what do you mean, no written language. I-I assumed Mags thought you could read it because... it was a Nightguant language or something."

"You're quite the odd woman, you know..." He chuckled, looking back at the page. "The enigma lies in the fact that there is and never was a Nightgaunt Language... However... Something about this text is familiar..."

"Familiar How? You're saying you've seen it before?" The New Hunter asked her companion.

"Not quite... However... They do strike a cord in me..." He ponderedn leaning closer to the page.

Esmeralda clasped her hands together. "Well, is there any chance you can understand even a little of it? The price on which we can obtain it depends on your deciphering skills."

Magdalene made her way over to the page, standing next to Baphomet. "If the Nightgaunts don't have a written language... Then... Maybe there is another way they write... Unique to them... A way to... Leave their mark?"

"A way to... Leave their Mark..." The Rogue Nightgaunt thought on her words before an epiphany hit him. "You're right, my little sheep... We do have a way. This Dreamer was quite clever indeed... Genius, even. Her knowledge of our ways rivaling perhap even that of Our Mistress."

"What do you mean? Did you figure something out?"" The Sheep asked, turning her head to look up at him.

"No, you did, it was what you said that made me realize."
The Divergent One said, reaching through the glass and removing the page.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Deepened Connections
Part Three

"So this writing is somehow linked to the way your people leave their mark," Esmeralda asked, walking over.

"That would be correct. We Nightgaunts leave very small traces in the minds of those we visit. Distorted thoughts and stray emotion which can cause nightmares even after we leave." He explained, running a long finger along the paper. "This Language... These symbols, represent those leftover traces and emotions, put in a certain order to convey thoughts, words and meanings."

Esmeralda nodded. "I think I understand. So... what do you think it says?"

"It's... A Pact... Of sorts... Between a Nightgaunt and a bonded host, like Magdalene and I..." He said, looking at Mags. "It strengthens the bonds of power between us by reciting phrase alongside a magical spell."

"Maybe you could recite it now!" Es grinned big. "Strengthen your bond right now!"

"Well Magdalene... What do you say?" He asked, holding out his gangly hand.

"Well... I don't see why not. I trust you Baphomet." The Sheep nodded, taking hold of it.

"Then repeat after me and add your magic to mine... I am thou, thou art I..." His voice boomed, energy surrounding both of them, Mag's light green aura and his more black energy.

"I a-am thou... Thou art I..."

"You must say it with confidence!"

"I am Thou! Thou Art I!"

"We Dreamer's walk as one in the infiniteness of the Mind."

"We Dreamers Walk as one in the infiniteness of the Mind!"

"Now, we are bonded, Now we are as one, and the power of the Infinite Mind is ours to Share!"

The Energy of both of them seeped into each other, melding, fusing, and combining as she spoke. "Now we are bonded, Now we are one, and the power of the Infinite Mind is ours to share!"

As she finished, a bright light enveloped them both, blinding Esmeralda and even bringing her to her knees, the entire dream shaking.

"She closed her eyes, shouting out, "Mags?! Are you okay?!"

As the Light dissipated, Esmeralda saw the two of them once again, standing in front of eachother, no one worse for wear.

Mags blinked a few times, "What happened? Is something supposed to be different?"

The Nightgaunt merely laughed, his voice now without the ominious vibration and rumble, almost a lower version of Mags' own. "We are different... You just haven't noticed yet..."

"What do you mean?"
She asked, her voice taking on a slightly ethereal quality, surprised, she continued. "So... We're bonded then? Closer than ever?"

"I'm you-"
She spoke.

"And you're me." He finished.

"Wow..." Esmeralda's eyes lit up. "It is almost... romantic, you know?"

"Romantic?" Mags repeated, her voice returning to normal. "I guess so... But... I'm not sure I feel that way about Baphomet... He's my guardian."

"Right... I'm not in love with her, I've watched her grow up, after all." The Divergent Nightgaunt added, pulling away his hands.

Esmeralda chuckled. "Oh, I didn't mean it quite like that. But it is sweet. A woman and her loyal guardian. Like something out of an epic fantasy book."

"That sounds nice..." She smiled, "So, Baphomet, what does this mean for us?"

"Well, according to the text, we should be able to communicate much more easily now, without having to be dreaming." The Nightgaunt replied, his featureless face almost feeling like it was smiling. "And at the very bottom of the page, it described a technique that only a Nightgaunt and their bonded partner could perform... It said that by stating those words at the same moment, we could take eachothers place for a time. Putting you to sleep, and bringing me into reality..."

"You're saying that... I could bring you into the real world?" Maggie looked up, eyes widened.

"Indeed, although having short range, I would be able to manipulate your physical world, as if it was a dream... The Ultimate goal of my kind, in a certain way..."

"And... That's a good thing, right? You can protect me, and everyone. We can use this for good." Mags cautioned.

"Do not worry. My goal is your safety, as it always has been. I would never think about doing you harm..." The Dream Creature quickly reassured.

"How exciting!" Esmeralda clapped her hands together. "You two have gained a new ability, and we have translated the script, so they'll let us have it for cheap!"

"Well, let's wake up then." The Farmgirl walked over, patting Esmeralda on the shoulder. "Ready?"

Es nodded. "Yup. Just hope those two guys haven't done anything weird while we were asleep."

Baphomet and Mags focused their power together this time, the dream suddenly crumbling and turning a bright white as they woke.

When they came to, they found themselves back in the tent chair, the young man from before standing over them and poking Es' face lightly. She yawned. "Quit it," she mumbled, swatting her hand away. "How long were we out?"

"Like... Ten minutes? Give or take..." The Old man replied.

"Alright... That's okay I guess." Magdalene stretched lightly. "Well, we figured out what the Page says."

"You did... How?" The young man asked, pulling back.

"It's... A long story..." The Sheep rubbed her neck.

"The point is, we know what it says now." Esmeralda looked to the man's father. "So one hundred fifty, right?"

"Well... Prove it. Tell me what it says." The Old Man asked.

"Well... The Script describes a pact wherein a Partner can Bond with a Nightgaunt and give eachother power. Then details the intricacies of the spell and how it is performed. Otherwords, this page is useless to anyone without such a bond." Mags' voice gained a slight Echo as she explained.

The Old man raised an eyebrow. "So what you're saying is it's even useless to Mages? Dammit... Well, a deal's a deal... One Hundred Gold."

"Alright!" Es patted her hands on Mags' shoulders. "You take care of that. I'm gonna take a quick look around to see if there is anything I want."

Mags blinked, the feeling of what she assumed to be her and Baphomet speaking at the same time. "Yeah... I'll go and buy the page. You just look around for something you like."

While Es shopped around excitedly, and Mags went to the counter, another figure, only a bit taller then Magdalene, slipped inside. He stayed to the sides of the tent, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, as his eyes shifted about. His gaze eventually landed on the sought after page. "Hmm," he whispered. "Now why would this one page get its own case? Unless... it was pretty valuable." He looked towards the counter put of the corner of his eye.

He saw Mags reaching down into her pocket and dropping a small pouch of coins. "There, that should be enough, right?"

The Older Man picked up the pouch, pouring out the gold coins and counting them in tens, all the while the Young Mam was trailing behind Esmeralda, telling her about all the pieces.

The boy slowly smiled. He pulled out a sheet of parchment, scribbing some nonsense writing on it. Making sure no one was watching, he quickly picked the lock on the case, a breeze to him, and switched the papers. Whistling softly, he casually wondered to the exit.

"I HAVE to have all of these!" Esmeralda shouted, hefting a fifth think book onto her stack and bringing them to the counter. "Now... you said you barter and trade, right? Because I have a few pieces you might like..." She lifted her heavy bag onto the counter.

"Yeah. Now let me just get the page..." The Bearded Man said, however, he quickly noted that the case was unlocked. "What the..."

"What's wrong?" Mags said, looking down at the page and noting something off. "Baphomet... Is..."

The Page is different... He spoke in her mind. Not only that, but it's been unlocked... Somebody stole it...

"Someone stole it!?" Mags said, looking around.

"What!" The Old store owner exclaimed. "What idiot would even bother? It's worthless if they don't know what they even stole! Without knowing what it is, it's just a piece of paper! What kind of desperate fool..."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Deepened Connections
Part Four

"N-no, hold on! Maybe I can... do something." Esmeralda walked over to the case, holding out her hands and closing her eyes. "I'm going to try something. It is my first time, so bare with me."

"Don't do anything too risky okay? I mean, we already read it." Mags held up her hands.

"Yeah, but it could help us find more from the book." Esmeralda hummed softly, her body glowing a faint white. The case itself started to glow, and before it was the outline of a young boy, made of white. As they watched, the image recreated the actions of the real thief before heading out. "If we f-follow the memory of the page, we might find the thief. But I can only sustain this for a small while."

"That's... Amazing Es! Quickly, let's chase him down." The Sheep praised, looking back towards the store owner. "Hold onto the money, we'll be right back with the page."

"Uh... Okay... Good luck, you hear?" He replied, pushing the money back into the pouch.

The two followed a faint trail of light that weaved to and fro, the thief obviously wanting to get some distance. The trail grew fainter and fainter, both because it was difficult to maintain and because it had a limited range. It wasn't too long, however, until they spotted someone with the exact shape as the figure in the tent, casually window shopping outside a jewelr store.

Walking up a few feet behind him and pulling out her harp, Magdalene spoke. "Um, excuse me, but you stole something from that store. You should return it..."

The boy turned towards Her, his cat ears twitching slightly. "What store is that, love? This one? I just got here, I swear."

"The Bookstore." She said sternly. "You stole that page. You don't even know what it is, so... You should give it back."

The boy raised his eyebrows, obviously surprised. "I, um..." He sighed. "Look... if you really want it... follow me. I stuck it in my hide out." He placed his hands in his pockets and started walking towards an alley.

"Well, that was easier then I expected," Esmeralda whispered.

"We don't trust him, be careful." They both spoke at once, slowly following him.

The boy grinned as he stepped into the alley, and suddenly took off. "Later, slowpokes!"

"Errrgg! I don't have time to put him to sleep with him running that fast!" Mags grumbled frustrated as she followed behind him as fast as she could. "Es! Can you speed us up?"

"Of course!" Esmeralda formed a gust of wind under them. With her light weight, Mags quickly gained on the boy.

He glanced back with a big smile, one that quickly slipped away at the sight of the charging sheep Thrope. "Uh oh! No fair!"

"If you don't stop, I might have to do something you won't like!" She reached out, trying to grab his cloak.

After a few seconds she did, and he fell back, right on top of her. "Ow! What's the deal, lady! You got a lotta nerve!" He jumped up into a fighting stance.

"Me? I'm not a thief! Besides, what you stole isn't even worth anything to you!" Magdalene put her hands on her hips.

"Says you!" The boy pulled out the stolen merchandise. "Thus thing is impossible to read and was locked in a case all by itself. I bet it is worth a fortune to the right person. You can't fool old Ash. I know what is going on. After all, why would you be chasing me otherwise?!"

"Because we're the only people it has any value to. It probably is worth a fortune to the right person, but if you don't know what it's called or what's even on it you could be looking for that person forever." Mags tried to use logic. "Now please. Just give it to me, I don't want to have to take it off of you, even though you won't be hurt..."

Ash tilted his head. "Take it off me, huh?" He shook his head. "You don't even have a weapon."

Esmeralda folded her arms. "I think I should find a local soldier."

"Pft. I'd be gone before they got here." Ash grinned. "Tell you what... gimme a thousand, and it's yours."

Magdalene sighed, strumming her harp. "I'm sorry about this..."

Using her earlier trick, Mags focused the energy around the young thief, playing along with it a somber, methodical tune.

He laughed. "What is this? What, are you trying... to lull... sleeeeep...?" Ash yawned, and shut his eyes, slumping down to the floor.

Esmeralda sighed and walked over to him. Once Mags stopped playing, she took the paper from his hands and gave it to the Sheep. "Took a little more effort, but it looks like it is all yours."

"Yeah... It's harder when they're not in on it..." The Sheep said, looking back at the boy. "What do we do with him?"

Esmeralda smiled. "Wake him up and show him that he was beaten. Maybe put of humility in him. After that... I don't know. I guess it is up to you if we turn him in or not, depending on how he reacts. You paid for that, so he technically stole it from you."

"You're probably right, he's just a desperate kid..." Mags nodded ,leaning over him and holding his shoulder, shaking it lightly. "Hey, wake up."

"Wh... wha?" His eyes slowly opened. "What happened? Why... am I sleeping in an ally? Am I back on the streets in Stromrend again? Was Titania and the Guild a dream?"

"Titania? The Guild? Wait, no, you stole our page, remember?" Asked the Sheep, seeming surprised by his words.

"Huh? Right... page. Not sure why I wanted it." Ash scratched his head. "You know... I think I was under some kinda trance! Bet it was that weird guy with the funny hat that nudged me." He jumped to his feet. "Thanks, love! You saved me! Any way I can repay you?"

"Well, you can start by apologizing to us. I don't know what you have to do with Titania and Havenbrook, but we're Hunters and that page is very important to us." She offered him a hand up.

"Oh, super sorry, love. I was under a spell, I swear! I'm as honest as a priest!" Ash grinned big. "Ask Titania. She brought me to the guild to get a job. Before that, I was on the streets. No one would hire me, but I wasn't about to steal for a living, so I was eating out of the garbage! You believe that? You understand, fellow Thrope and all. Some times, our people get a raw deal! Especially in Stormrend..."

"I guess I could take you to Titania, she'd probably be upset at you for stealing from a 'Fellow Thrope'" Mags shrugged, "Then again maybe you are telling the truth... If you are, you won't mind if I read your thoughts, just to be on the safe side. You don't have anything to hide after all. I promise to respect your privacy and only look where I need to..."

"Read... read my thoughts?" Ash's eyes wondered over to Esmeralda. "She's kidding, right?"

"You don't know who this is?" Es asked, trying to hide a sly smile. "This is Magdalene. Havenbrook's weaver of dreams. She can dive into your unconscious mind through your dreams. Of course, if you're a tough one, she always has the nightgaunt she is bonded with to force her way in."

Mags blinked her eyes quickly at how intimidating Esmeralda had made her sound, but shook her head, deciding to roll with it. "Um... Yeah, My Nightgaunt Baphomet can work dreams like a baker kneads dough. Would you... Like to speak with him?"

"Uh..." Ash smiled nervously, hoping she was bluffing. "Y-yeah, sure. I mean... not everyday you get to... talk to one, huh?"

"Well Baphomet... Let's test this thing out, remember, don't hurt him." The Sheep said, sitting down.

"Assuming this one is even worth hurting, he will be safe..."

Taking a deep breath, Magdalene spoke. "I... I am thou, thou are I..."

"I am you... And you are me..." As she said those words, her eyes closed, the area around the three of them being surrounded in a dark fog. A Shadowy hand suddenly reached out of The Sheep's back, causing lightning to strike in the fog when it made contact with the ground.

"Shit!" Ash fell back. "Shit, shit, shit! I-I changed my mind! I believe you!"

Instead of reverting back, another hand reached out from her back, creating another strike of lightning, Baphomet's faceless head rising from hers, then his gangly body, towering over the young thief.

Then, suddenly, the Nightgaunt grew to what seemed like an impossible size, Ash sitting as merely a speck on his finger as his faceless visage stared down at him. "Are you positive? Do you truly believe?"

"Yes, yes! Geez, guv! I said I was sorry!" Ash, always brimming with confidence, found he could need get his legs to move. "I lied, okay?! I knew what I was doing! It... it looked important! You wanted it! If you couldn't buy it, I bet you would have stole it too!"

"Next time. Think carefully about who you decide to steal from... If not, you may find yourself once more at the mercy of a creature like me..." He said, lifting the thief up, revealing a equally massive Esmeralda. At this point no longer being possible to determine whether they had gotten bigger or he had simply gotten smaller, the infinite black fog in every direction giving him little in the way of scale.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Deepened Connections
Part Five

Ash shook a bit, and nodded rapidly. "You got my word, guv. Promise, I'll never cross you three again. So please... e-end this."

The Nightgaunt closed his hand, and as the grip threatened to crush him, he found himself instantly back on the grass, everything as it was before as Magdalene opened her eyes. "I think this is the first time sleeping made me feel more tired..."

Esmeralda held a hand over her mouth for a few moments. "Mags, that... that... was awesome!"

"D-depends on the... point of view, love..." Ash wiped the sweat from his brow. "I, um... I think I'll... watch what I ask for a little more closely from now on..." He looked Mags up and down, as if expecting Bephomet to leap out of her at any second.

"I um... I am thinking that I probably shouldn't use that trick for the fun of it... Especially if it puts me to sleep the whole time..." Mags said, looking over at Ash. "I'm sorry if he scared you too much..."

"You're... sorry?" Ash slowly picked himself up. "I thought you were punishing me. So... what happens now. Are you going to turn me in?"

"Mmm... I don't think so... You're friends with the guild, right? And you did say you were sorry." The Sheep smiled lightly at him.

"Yeah... I swear." Ash held out his hand. "Name is Ash. Though I also answer to Stitch. Nice to meet you, love."

"Nice to meet you, my name is Magdalene, or Mags, you want to follow us back so we can finish buying this?" He asked, heading back in the way of the tent.

Esmeralda followed along, and after some hesitation, so did Ash. "So how did you do that anyway, love?"

"Well, that page you took taught me how." She answered simply.

"Right, but... surely you knew your creepy friend before then. Never heard of one of them working with one of us. You must be real special. Dream goddess in your pocket or something?"

"Well... I guess, but I don't really see it that way. He's been me since birth anyway." Mags explained, the Tent coming back into sight.

Ash's stride slowed a bit. "Is this a trick?"

"A trick?" Esmeralda asked.

"Yeah. You turn me in because you knew I would run? I know how you adults think..."

Mags turned around. "What? If we wanted to turn you in we would've just done it while you were asleep. Why are you so distrustful of adults?"

Ash folded his arms and looked away. "Because 99% of them are distrustful. Makes sense, right?"

"Well, I don't think that's true... Some adults are nice... Like Ms. Havenbrook for example." Magdalene countered, walking back over to him.

"Maybe... she did say I could stay..." Ash looked away. "But you haven't seen some of the adults I have. The kind that would... kick a ten year old boy when he's down..."

"Literally...?" Mags eyes narrowed, looking left and right.

"S... sometimes... yeah. Especially in Stormrend. They are not nearly as bad as Themosa from what I hear, but they still mock a little orphan Thrope. Shove and kick him away when he begs for food."

"You said you stay at the Manor right? My family is there, how about you come by for a homemade meal?" She offered, showing him a kind smile.

Ash slowly looked over at her. "I... what's the catch?"

"No catch. Just Country hospitality." Mags answered earnestly.

Ash placed his hands in his pockets. "Well, I... I haven't had a whole lot of Serasam county cooking. If it is alright with your family..."

"I'm sure it would be, my Pa loves dinner guests." Magdalene reaffirmed, motioning for them to keep going with her Thumb.

Entering the tent, Esmeralda proudly declared, "We got it back! No problem. Easy as meat pie."

"Oh... You came back... I guess I just didn't expect..." The Old man said, seeming surprised.

"Of course we did, had to confirm the purchase after all." Mags replied, walking in behind her.

He chuckled, "You're an honest sort, you know? I mean, you already paid after all."

"True, but best to make sure the deal is closed." Es leaned against the counter. "Besides, there are my purchases. Did you get a chance to look over my trade material?"

He looked down, having picked out a few books. "Yeah. This cookbook is pretty hard to find, along with that, this history book from the Nocturnum War, this'll go for a lot with history buffs. I'll take these and give you the book for... Five Hundred, sound fair?"

Esmeralda let out a happy laugh before coughing and trying to out on a more professional appearance. "That... s-sounds very fair." Very took her purse off the counter and took out the coins, handing them over. "You are a lot more fair of a business man then I initially took you for. How long will your caravan be in town?"

"About a week or so. Plenty of time to come back if you want to see us again." The young Man winked slyly at her.

"Oh, one more thing." He said, pulling out another book and placing it on the table. "I'm going to sweeten the deal for you for going after that thief, besides, you two have really made my day. This is a book of Maps by the cartographer Karen Ahj, stylized, nice detail, and no two of her books are the same as she hand printed them."

"Hand printed them all?" Esmeralda rubbed her chin. "Such a style alone is a draw. And I'm not a big collector of cartography, but I know some who would like to see this. What's your price, sir?"

"I'm pooling it with the other book for no extra charge. That's for being honest." The Old Man said, surprising the Red-Head.

"Really? No extra charge? That's not like you."

"Well, not many people appreciate Cartography anymore, it's been a hard sell." He countered, "Don't act like I'm going soft. I just appreciate honesty. Rare find these days."

Esmeralda giggled. "I know exactly what you mean, and I will return your kindness by returning before you leave with even more rare finds to trade." She turned to Mags. "I know it has been a long day for you, but will you permit me to at least buy you lunch as a thank you?"

"Of course." Mags said, causing the young man to look between them, seeming to come to a realization.

"Ooooh! You two are... That would explain it..." He said, smiling as he rested his head on his fist. "Well, if you keep treating us like this, maybe we'll even set up here for good... Right Grandad?"

"Yeah, maybe... Wouldn't be the worst spot, next to a Hunter Guild..." He shrugged.

Esmeralda clapped her hands excitedly. "Oh, I would so love that. You would have regular customers, and not just me." She winked at the older man. "And there are plenty of cute ladies. Did he say grandad? I could have swore you looked young enough to be his father."

"Thanks, but I'm only sixty-three, not that old." He chuckled.

"I dunno... Sixty-Three is pretty old..." His Grandson smirked

"You heard her, I look good enough to be in my forties..."

Esmeralda chuckled. "Afraid he'll steal all the girls? Don't worry. You'll attract plenty." She hefted her heavy bag up. "Ready to go, Mags?"

"Yeah. Thanks for everything you two." She said, the two of them giving them a wave as they left.

As Mags made it outside, she turned to look at Ash, saying. "So, do you want to eat some lunch with us?"

Ash smiled and shook his head. "Nah, that's okay, love. Though that dinner sounds like fun. I'll be back at the Manor, though. Just met me know when you'll have me."

"Will do. And um... Sorry again for the scare... It was a little scary for me too..." The Sheep reiterated.

Ash grinned. "You know... you're alright for an adult, love... er, Mags. Not bad looking either. Seeya!" He laughed and ran off.

"Um... Thanks?" She said, awkwardly waving. "He's a nice kid at heart I think...'

"Yeah. Just gotta work on that stealing thing." Es took a quick peak in her bag to make sure her wallet was still there. "Come. There is a Lustanian restaurant you will simply love."

"I think I know the one you're talking about, but I've never been." Mags smiled, "Well, lead the way I guess."