Terra Dolor: OOC Discussion & Think Tank

Black0ut

Also, Insane will be jet-lagged as he is coming up from Arizona and arriving in Seattle.

Edit: I've been beaten to the punch, apparently. :p

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Hey. Can I ask you guys something? Have any of you seen Overlord?

It's really popular, but I don't fucking know why. It enrages me. Everyone seems to like it but the fights have no stake in them at all because the protagonist is pretty much unbeatable.

But everyone sings it's praises, I know I'm in the minority here, is there something I am just missing? Someone please tell me?

Yeah it's well animated but the main character just can't lose, there's no stakes to the fights they all just seem to play out the exact same way. It's like if you took One Punch Man, put it in a fantasy setting, made Saitama a horrible cruel tyrant and played it completely straight.

It just infuriates me to no end! In any other anime he'd be a great villian who you love to hate but not here! Because there is no consequences to his actions, he just goes around the world screwing and destroying lives like it's a playground and no one can do anything because he's unstoppable! There's no justice! There'll never be justice because they made him the main character! I... I don't- I don't understand! I don't understand the appeal!

Okay... Rant over...

I'm sorry if this offended anyone who likes the anime, if you enjoy it hey more power to you but... I just... I don't understand why. If any of you can tell me why you like it I'd be grateful, because my brother is a big fan and he can't even tell me why so... Yeah.

BMPixy

It's really popular, but I don't fucking know why. It enrages me. Everyone seems to like it but the fights have no stake in them at all because the protagonist is pretty much unbeatable.

But everyone sings it's praises, I know I'm in the minority here, is there something I am just missing? Someone please tell me?

Yeah it's well animated but the main character just can't lose, there's no stakes to the fights they all just seem to play out the exact same way. It's like if you took One Punch Man, put it in a fantasy setting, made Saitama a horrible cruel tyrant and played it completely straight.

It just infuriates me to no end! In any other anime he'd be a great villian who you love to hate but not here! Because there is no consequences to his actions, he just goes around the world screwing and destroying lives like it's a playground and no one can do anything because he's unstoppable! There's no justice! There'll never be justice because they made him the main character! I... I don't- I don't understand! I don't understand the appeal!

Okay... Rant over...

I'm sorry if this offended anyone who likes the anime, if you enjoy it hey more power to you but... I just... I don't understand why. If any of you can tell me why you like it I'd be grateful, because my brother is a big fan and he can't even tell me why so... Yeah.

I've read the some of the LNs and seen the first season of the anime, so I'll chip in my two cents here. The reason I particularly like Overlord is that it's a pure power fantasy. It makes no bones (ha!) about this fact - you're here to watch villains be cool and theatric. However, the other big reason I like the show is the contrast between when our cast is in their big intimidating evil personas and their everyday selves - we get to see Ainz's embarrassment in himself regarding Pandora's Actor, or Sebas' sense of justice despite his employers, stuff like that. That's the sort of stuff you'd never see if the Nazarick crew weren't the PoV characters.

But hey, I'll recognize that show's not for everyone - series with villain protagonists are always divisive.

Black0ut

Okay... Rant over...

I'll join in on explanations: While Ainz is a villain, he does things that are more heroic and sweet than one might think. (I'll put all the incidents in season one where that is the case.)

While he does do a couple of evil/cruel things to people, his generals, the Floor Guardians, have far more bloodlust or ambition than he does, given he was an office worker before Overlord happened. As for going around the world... in later seasons, yeah, he does do some conquering and kills a lot of people, but the primary reason was to see if his friends got sucked in as well, and if so, to wrack their brains in an attempt to escape the land they're in. So, evil with an intention to escape. Also, due to his Lich state, he feels less connected to humans, but... well the list might prove otherwise.

-Saved a village from an attack by outside forces
-saved two girls from certain death.
-joined an adventurer party, and thus pretended to be a bit weaker.
- avenged the deaths of his party member by brutally killing the one responsible
-gave the two girls he saved two magic artifacts that are extremely expensive
-Saved the head warrior from death(doesn't count because of ulterior motives, but hey, it deserves to be mentioned)
-felt sad he had to go fight Shalltear, who nearly killed him.
-genuinely likes humans who try to befriend him.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

Okay... Rant over...

No opinion. Never saw it. But you probably have tastes that go against the anime or see problems you can't stand.

It's like me and Gilgamesh. Oh, and Jaren Lagaan. You can be the coolest anime ever, but if your ending sucks... I hate you.

Black0ut

No opinion. Never saw it. But you probably have tastes that go against the anime or see problems you can't stand.

It's like me and Gilgamesh. Oh, and Jaren Lagaan. You can be the coolest anime ever, but if your ending sucks... I hate you.
Who here cried when Kamina died in that big battle?

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Whoa, dudes! Did you all see this?!

https://youtu.be/4iIbdCSmFvo

Yeah! It was in the direct!

I'll join in on explanations: While Ainz is a villain, he does things that are more heroic and sweet than one might think. (I'll put all the incidents in season one where that is the case.)

While he does do a couple of evil/cruel things to people, his generals, the Floor Guardians, have far more bloodlust or ambition than he does, given he was an office worker before Overlord happened. As for going around the world... in later seasons, yeah, he does do some conquering and kills a lot of people, but the primary reason was to see if his friends got sucked in as well, and if so, to wrack their brains in an attempt to escape the land they're in. So, evil with an intention to escape. Also, due to his Lich state, he feels less connected to humans, but... well the list might prove otherwise.

-Saved a village from an attack by outside forces
-saved two girls from certain death.
-joined an adventurer party, and thus pretended to be a bit weaker.
- avenged the deaths of his party member by brutally killing the one responsible
-gave the two girls he saved two magic artifacts that are extremely expensive
-Saved the head warrior from death(doesn't count because of ulterior motives, but hey, it deserves to be mentioned)
-felt sad he had to go fight Shalltear, who nearly killed him.
-genuinely likes humans who try to befriend him.

Also. Counterpoint. Season 3 Episode 8.

That's all.

Black0ut

Yeah! It was in the direct!

Also. Counterpoint. Season 3 Episode 8.

That's all.
Have watched, and yes, he is pretty evil in that.
He is a villain after all, but, thinking back on it now, by killing off the girl, he did offer her some mercy. He's replacing memories of the priest, I think he's... either tossed the two into the pit to be eaten alive or it's an oubliette, so killing her off and not retaining her soul is at least somewhat decent. But if you want to blame someone, Ainz even says Demiurge suggested he do it. That demon is more diabolical and evil than sat- erm... than Hastur. But most of the blame of what happened falls on Demiurge, as he asked for Nazarick to be semi-raided.

All in all, he did some evil, but he's still looking for his friends... and they did try to lie to him about that. Not entirely an evil guy, but still evil. Besides, with the workers, he hasn't know any of them for long. No reason for him to be nice. If they had adventures with him as Momon, they'd have had a chance.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Have watched, and yes, he is pretty evil in that.
He is a villain after all, but, thinking back on it now, by killing off the girl, he did offer her some mercy. He's replacing memories of the priest, I think he's... either tossed the two into the pit to be eaten alive or it's an oubliette, so killing her off and not retaining her soul is at least somewhat decent. But if you want to blame someone, Ainz even says Demiurge suggested he do it. That demon is more diabolical and evil than sat- erm... than Hastur. But most of the blame of what happened falls on Demiurge, as he asked for Nazarick to be semi-raided.

All in all, he did some evil, but he's still looking for his friends... and they did try to lie to him about that. Not entirely an evil guy, but still evil. Besides, with the workers, he hasn't know any of them for long. No reason for him to be nice. If they had adventures with him as Momon, they'd have had a chance.

[/SPOILER="Overlord Season 3] I think this goes beyond looking for his friends at this point Black... He Fed two of them to monsters, Mindslaved one and tortured him, and took the nice little girl and skinned her possibly alive and then fed her to monsters.

Oh and don't forget her little Sisters who are probably going to be sold into sex slavery now.

I... Don't know how you can defend that... I mean, my friend told me to is not really an excuse.... [/SPOILER]

Dahlexpert

[/SPOILER="Overlord Season 3] I think this goes beyond looking for his friends at this point Black... He Fed two of them to monsters, Mindslaved one and tortured him, and took the nice little girl and skinned her possibly alive and then fed her to monsters.

Oh and don't forget her little Sisters who are probably going to be sold into sex slavery now.

I... Don't know how you can defend that... I mean, my friend told me to is not really an excuse.... [/SPOILER]

Alright I think this guy can explain it more than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJ59wnF3I8&index=38&list=PL5k8kgVRPLo_sLSL-SExpaBha6GJ-Q_nz

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Wait so... At the Start he admits that they basically have to accept as Adventurers but blames them anyway, calling them greedy? You don't have to be greedy to want money as we saw with the little girl.

And when we get to Episode 8 you can clearly see them behaving like good, selfless people who want to use the money to help. Basically, they thought it was an empty tomb belonging to no one, do why crucify them for that even after they gave up?

The problem that I see is that he doesn't see these guys as actual people because he comes from a game. But these aren't NPCs or Players that respawn, they are real. The fact that he doesn't see that makes him at least a sociopath. Especially considering his friends are NPCs turned real.

I can't tell if that's bad writing or bad characterization...

I don't mean to make it seem like you are wrong for liking him or the anime, it just doesn't add up.

But even if he was good there are no stakes because he and his forces are pretty much unbeatable. Even his minions minions are pretty much unstoppable, like the Hamster. So... There's no drama or reason for me to care. Not to mention all the fights that involve anyone from Nazareck are pretty much the same. Guy thinks he's strong, gets cocky, insert smug look from Nazareck person, fight, "Oh no you're really strong actually!", bleh dead.

Once again, sorry if you like it, I just can't...

Black0ut

Wait so... At the Start he admits that they basically have to accept as Adventurers but blames them anyway, calling them greedy? You don't have to be greedy to want money as we saw with the little girl.

And when we get to Episode 8 you can clearly see them behaving like good, selfless people who want to use the money to help. Basically, they thought it was an empty tomb belonging to no one, do why crucify them for that even after they gave up?

The problem that I see is that he doesn't see these guys as actual people because he comes from a game. But these aren't NPCs or Players that respawn, they are real. The fact that he doesn't see that makes him at least a sociopath. Especially considering his friends are NPCs turned real.

I can't tell if that's bad writing or bad characterization...

I don't mean to make it seem like you are wrong for liking him or the anime, it just doesn't add up.

But even if he was good there are no stakes because he and his forces are pretty much unbeatable. Even his minions minions are pretty much unstoppable, like the Hamster. So... There's no drama or reason for me to care. Not to mention all the fights that involve anyone from Nazareck are pretty much the same. Guy thinks he's strong, gets cocky, insert smug look from Nazareck person, fight, "Oh no you're really strong actually!", bleh dead.

Once again, sorry if you like it, I just can't...
It's fine. Not everyone can enjoy the same cup of tea. However... The three groups were not Adventurers. They are Workers. The workers get to choose what jobs to take, regardless of skill level or payout. So think mercenaries versus Guild's in Terra Dolor. Same thing.

Also... they knew undead inhabited it, as was the warning with skeletons at the start of episode 7. He did give several warnings, to them in the form of weak monsters.

As for sociopathy... in either season 1 or 2, Ainz admits he cannot feel any of his normal empathy for humans, or any living race for that matter.

But I'm waiting on the people who turned Shalltear against him. See, if no one in the world is as strong as Ainz' minions, then turning them against him will make him vulnerable. Shalltear did heavily wound him in their fight, but imagine if three of his floor guards fought him. He'd be very screwed, even with his Yggdrasill items.

And to concede a point and correct one from the Light novel and anime... The girl's sister's are sold into slavery, and eventually die from being overworked. The older girl, however was killed with a single blow before her body parts were salvaged. Both acts are quite nefarious as is typical of a villain. You'd be right about him; he has gotten a lot darker.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

It's fine. Not everyone can enjoy the same cup of tea. However... The three groups were not Adventurers. They are Workers. The workers get to choose what jobs to take, regardless of skill level or payout. So think mercenaries versus Guild's in Terra Dolor. Same thing.

Also... they knew undead inhabited it, as was the warning with skeletons at the start of episode 7. He did give several warnings, to them in the form of weak monsters.

As for sociopathy... in either season 1 or 2, Ainz admits he cannot feel any of his normal empathy for humans, or any living race for that matter.

But I'm waiting on the people who turned Shalltear against him. See, if no one in the world is as strong as Ainz' minions, then turning them against him will make him vulnerable. Shalltear did heavily wound him in their fight, but imagine if three of his floor guards fought him. He'd be very screwed, even with his Yggdrasill items.

And to concede a point and correct one from the Light novel and anime... The girl's sister's are sold into slavery, and eventually die from being overworked. The older girl, however was killed with a single blow before her body parts were salvaged. Both acts are quite nefarious as is typical of a villain. You'd be right about him; he has gotten a lot darker.

The worst part is he will never end up paying for his actions because he's the main character and he's overpowered. So, knowing that, I just get mad thinking about it.

I guess it boils down to my Hatred of Invincible characters. Unless you're an Eldritch God you shouldn't have infinite power or power so overwhelming compared to the people you are fighting that it is essentially infinite. No one cares about someone who can't lose. Or at least, that's how it should be.

Overlord does pretty much everything wrong in that respect, it doesn't even have a real antagonist yet, the Lynch pin of any story, so it's just boring. Nothing is going on. What kind of show has three seasons before they introduce the figure for change?