Starstream Think Tank

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
To be fair... They would have to to keep the T rating... Change in culture usually also results in a change in tolerance
I personally wouldn't mind a M rating. There is a lot they'd have to cut out to keep it T with today's standards, like a lot of the violence. Remember the scene in the Shinra HQ where you follow the trail of blood and bodies up the building? Can't show that in a T rated game with current graphics.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sigh... never mind. An interview with Polygon pretty much says they are pushing for a T rating with their "Ethics Department".

“In the Square Enix Japan studios, the Ethics Department is actually a group within the company that evaluates game content to make sure it is aligned with the anticipated age ratings standards across the globe (CERO, ESRB, PEGI, etc),” the representative said.

“In this case, we want a new generation of gamers to experience Final Fantasy VII Remake and are working very closely with the company’s internal experts to make sure all of the game’s content is appropriate.”

Black0ut

Sigh... never mind. An interview with Polygon pretty much says they are pushing for a T rating with their "Ethics Department".

“In the Square Enix Japan studios, the Ethics Department is actually a group within the company that evaluates game content to make sure it is aligned with the anticipated age ratings standards across the globe (CERO, ESRB, PEGI, etc),” the representative said.

“In this case, we want a new generation of gamers to experience Final Fantasy VII Remake and are working very closely with the company’s internal experts to make sure all of the game’s content is appropriate.”
Sigh...

Black0ut

What? If a company wants to keep a game inside of certain rating they have the right to do so. Their game, their story, their choices.
I know, but strictly cutting something out of a game for the sake of the rating is still cutting content out. And given this was a game many grew up on, it's sad to see S.E. not just take the hit. Doesn't mean we won't buy it because it's great, just means a bit of sadness and a little upsetness. A lot of upsetness actually.

ShadowHounder

I know, but strictly cutting something out of a game for the sake of the rating is still cutting content out. And given this was a game many grew up on, it's sad to see S.E. not just take the hit. Doesn't mean we won't buy it because it's great, just means a bit of sadness and a little upsetness. A lot of upsetness actually.
I mean... In the end of the day... Is one small, rather fluff filled quests segment really that big a deal? That whole segment could've never been in the original and nothing would change. The only part that mattered was the crossdressing segment XD

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I'm not upset about one little thing. I'm upset about what this Ethics Department and censorship for a T rating means for the entire game.

Tifa's breast size might seem like a small detail, no pun intended, but saying there is something wrong with a woman having large breasts is offensive in its own right. But that subject gets a pass because they claim to be going for more realism for a martial artist.

The Wall Market scene might seem insignificant, but not only would I argue it is more important then it seems, changing that means they can change so much more for their precious T rating.

Shiva is a scantily clad summon in all the FF games. Are they going to stick her in a Parka now?

Are they going to remove all the blood from the Shinra building, something that showed how dangerous Sephiroth is?

Are they going to remove Hojo's attempted breeding of Aerith, meant to illustrate his demented and unethical ways?

What about the iconic, and brutally violent, image of the Midgar Zolom impailed on a tree?

What about the children in Nibelhiem turned into mindless Sephiroth clones?

What about all the foul language from Barrett and especially from Cid?

And as far as complaining goes, nothing ever changed for the better when people sat on their hands and didn't speak out. And even if our complaints change nothing, this is a place for everyone to speak their minds, complain about whatever is bothering them, and discuss it. I am seriously censoring myself right now by not taking the "it's their game, they can do what they want" and using a dozen metaphors to blow that way out of proportion.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I'm not upset about one little thing. I'm upset about what this Ethics Department and censorship for a T rating means for the entire game.

Tifa's breast size might seem like a small detail, no pun intended, but saying there is something wrong with a woman having large breasts is offensive in its own right. But that subject gets a pass because they claim to be going for more realism for a martial artist.

The Wall Market scene might seem insignificant, but not only would I argue it is more important then it seems, changing that means they can change so much more for their precious T rating.

Shiva is a scantily clad summon in all the FF games. Are they going to stick her in a Parka now?

Are they going to remove all the blood from the Shinra building, something that showed how dangerous Sephiroth is?

Are they going to remove Hojo's attempted breeding of Aerith, meant to illustrate his demented and unethical ways?

What about the iconic, and brutally violent, image of the Midgar Zolom impailed on a tree?

What about the children in Nibelhiem turned into mindless Sephiroth clones?

What about all the foul language from Barrett and especially from Cid?

And as far as complaining goes, nothing ever changed for the better when people sat on their hands and didn't speak out. And even if our complaints change nothing, this is a place for everyone to speak their minds, complain about whatever is bothering them, and discuss it. I am seriously censoring myself right now by not taking the "it's their game, they can do what they want" and using a dozen metaphors to blow that way out of proportion.

Thankfully I did hear a Shit from Cloud in the trailer, so at least there will be some cursing.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
In the end I guess ot comes down to why they are doing it. They claim it is to draw in a whole new audience who might not have played the original, and I can understand that. But I also feel they see dollar (or Yen) signs when they realize a lower rating means more customers. But that's business I guess...

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
On the plus side... expanding the game means we'll get to spend more time developing side characters. I always liked Jessie, and now we'll get to flesh her out some more. I'm surprised how many people don't realize she had a crush on Cloud. At least, that's how I saw it. I mean, he saves her (twice) in the first reactor, she wipes his smudged face, they get all close together at the computer, she tries to make him a special fake ID, she... dies... :(

Ahem... I also like how they seem to be taking the best parts of other fighting systems and combining them to make one great system. The specialties of 10, the different attack types of 13, the freeflow mechanics of 15 with a slow down mechanic to appeal to traditionalist, the shortcuts menu of KH3. It should make for a fun system.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I wonder if we'll get to explore more of Midgar. I mean, surely we will, right? Between the plates and the slums, Midgar is the size of 16 small cities combined into one mega city, but in the original we only got to see two reactors, the Shinra building, Sector five and seven slums, Wall Market in sector six, the destroyed part of sector six slums very briefly, and a tiny part of the sector one upper plate. Oh, and the sewers of Sector six and train graveyard of sector seven. Still, so little when taking into consideration just how vast the city is.

I wonder what new enemies we'll see in new places. I wonder what those shadowy things (I believe they are called the Watchers of Fate?) will do. Oh! Wouldn't it be awesome if, during the attack on the S7 plate, you briefly control Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie instead of them already being on death's door when you arrive? My mind is running through all the events in Midgar and looking for places to expand, like the fight to escape the church, or the climb up the Shinra tower...

...am I gushing? Sorry...

...think they'll still make Cait Sith Scottish?

ShadowHounder

First big misunderstanding here is that... Tifa did not have her breast reduced for censorship. It is extremely common for characters to become more modest because they want the design to match the character more... Large breast were a marketing ploy back then... One that is not required now and the fact that people complain about the shift honestly sickens me. Just because they were reduced doesn't mean it's censorship... It means they feel more comfortable making character realistic and more in line with the personality they gave them.

If it's sexist to censor a female character... Then isn't it equally as sexist to say they need to be oversexualized?

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

First big misunderstanding here is that... Tifa did not have her breast reduced for censorship. It is extremely common for characters to become more modest because they want the design to match the character more... Large breast were a marketing ploy back then... One that is not required now and the fact that people complain about the shift honestly sickens me. Just because they were reduced doesn't mean it's censorship... It means they feel more comfortable making character realistic and more in line with the personality they gave them.

If it's sexist to censor a female character... Then isn't it equally as sexist to say they need to be oversexualized?

Isn't also presumptuous to assume they were big because they wanted her to be oversexualized when every other female character is pretty normally preportioned.

It's like people with big boobs don't exist I real life and it has to be the game devs wanting to create sweet sweet fap material.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I don't want to make this into a big deal, that's why I gave it a pass. All I'm saying is if they changed her because of some 'please the complainers' mentality then it is wrong, because in that case they are submitting to pressure to make money instead of staying true to their vision.

However, as I said, the reason they did it, or the reason they give, is they want to make her more realistic as a martial artist who would likely find her boobs flopping around while she's trying to fight... annoying. So that is why I gave it a pass. That, and for all we know it is just her new black undershirt holding back her Ultimate Weapons and she'll let the girl's breath when she's in her dress in Wall Market.

All I'm concerned with is censorship in any form for the sake of money at the expense of the fans. Tifa is a beautiful individual, both physically and character wise. And for me her character is more important. I'm not even a fan of huge breasts. I'm more of the small and perky type. Why do you think Ayame is almost always petite? And if I was, that's what characters like Bayonetta are for. FF isn't my fap material... DoA is.

...silly jiggle physics. Which, btw, Tifa does have in Dissidia, which I found hilarious, not sexy.

ShadowHounder

Isn't also presumptuous to assume they were big because they wanted her to be oversexualized when every other female character is pretty normally preportioned.

It's like people with big boobs don't exist I real life and it has to be the game devs wanting to create sweet sweet fap material.
Accept it is stated multiple times in interviews and other media that those builds were meant for eye candy and to try and increase sales numbers...

ShadowHounder

I don't want to make this into a big deal, that's why I gave it a pass. All I'm saying is if they changed her because of some 'please the complainers' mentality then it is wrong, because in that case they are submitting to pressure to make money instead of staying true to their vision.

However, as I said, the reason they did it, or the reason they give, is they want to make her more realistic as a martial artist who would likely find her boobs flopping around while she's trying to fight... annoying. So that is why I gave it a pass. That, and for all we know it is just her new black undershirt holding back her Ultimate Weapons and she'll let the girl's breath when she's in her dress in Wall Market.

All I'm concerned with is censorship in any form for the sake of money at the expense of the fans. Tifa is a beautiful individual, both physically and character wise. And for me her character is more important. I'm not even a fan of huge breasts. I'm more of the small and perky type. Why do you think Ayame is almost always petite? And if I was, that's what characters like Bayonetta are for. FF isn't my fap material... DoA is.

...silly jiggle physics. Which, btw, Tifa does have in Dissidia, which I found hilarious, not sexy.
In my honest opinion... I feel that the redesign was necessary. It helps separate modern gaming from the old days by allowing character design and character personality to better meld together.

The way I see it... If a character is defined by fan service... Then it is a shitty character. This redesign is a step toward making Tifa a character more then she is a object. (Especially since they gave a character oriented reason for the change)