Starstream Think Tank

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Let me see if I can find a comparison...

Tifa_Early_Art.jpg
s-l640.jpg
FFVIIR_E3_CharacterRender_Tifa_16x9-1000x563.jpg

Mmm... maybe a little smaller, but then she does have that new black undershirt offering more support so... they might be close but better proportioned. (Yes, I am micro analyzing the breasts of a videogame character! Leave me and my first vg crush alone!)

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

The impact a game has does not change whether it is overrated or not... It simply says how successful it was. A game can be genre defining and extremely overrated (look at WoW before Wrath or more currently... Classic WoW)

Except I played Classic and no... No it was not overrated. It really is that good.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Except I played Classic and no... No it was not overrated. It really is that good.

Like. Classic is... Something special... It's something that Current WoW just isnt, even with it's numerous flaws it was still incredible because it fostered amazing friendships and bonds. It was those supposed flaws that brought people together. MMOs have become so antisocial lately, Classic WoW forced people to work together and communicate because leveling was really hard while other MMOs just didn't do that.

It was so hard that if you saw someone with Naxxramas Gear you treated them like a God. People actually wanted to be him. If you did legendary things you felt like a legend and people treated you like one, but these days everyone has to have access to everything so there isn't anything like that anymore.

That's just my two cents worth though.

ShadowHounder

Like. Classic is... Something special... It's something that Current WoW just isnt, even with it's numerous flaws it was still incredible because it fostered amazing friendships and bonds. It was those supposed flaws that brought people together. MMOs have become so antisocial lately, Classic WoW forced people to work together and communicate because leveling was really hard while other MMOs just didn't do that.

It was so hard that if you saw someone with Naxxramas Gear you treated them like a God. People actually wanted to be him. If you did legendary things you felt like a legend and people treated you like one, but these days everyone has to have access to everything so there isn't anything like that anymore.

I personally enjoy the new leveling system and think that the story and gameplay in WoW is the best that it's every been... And it's accessible. I don't like it when a rpg like WoW makes it so that certain gear is impossible to obtain if you play exclusively solo (like me) and the learning curve pre Cata was not fair to new and upcoming players. I stand by the belief that Legion is the best expansion gameplay wise (Wrath still has the best expansion story... But Legion is a extremely close second). Plus... I doubt I would have played WoW for as long as I did without Mythic+ Dungeons.

Black0ut

I personally enjoy the new leveling system and think that the story and gameplay in WoW is the best that it's every been... And it's accessible. I don't like it when a rpg like WoW makes it so that certain gear is impossible to obtain if you play exclusively solo (like me) and the learning curve pre Cata was not fair to new and upcoming players. I stand by the belief that Legion is the best expansion gameplay wise (Wrath still has the best expansion story... But Legion is a extremely close second). Plus... I doubt I would have played WoW for as long as I did without Mythic+ Dungeons.
*casually sits back and tries to understand what you're talking about as I've never played WoW.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

But it's so easy. I heard it put best like this. Classic is about the Journey. Retail is about the destination.

You literally just grind levels alone until max where you actually get to the real content.

That's not what an MMO should be. MMOs are about interactions. It's about people working together because you were all struggling through the same obstacles. People would buff you as they passed by because it wasn't much trouble and the buffs mattered for leveling. People typed Congratulations in Guild Chat every time you got a level because it took time and effort and you really did feel yourself getting stronger.

I don't like Legion because it makes you the center of the world. You're the chosen one who has the power to change history and everyone worships you.

In Classic to Burning Crusade you were just a Guy struggling in a world that was big and harsh and dangerous. Truly Dangerous. Can you remember the last time you died leveling in Legion? You probably can't.

In Classic you had to play careful, you had to play smart, but more importantly you had to work with people and that bred interaction and kindness and friendships that don't exist in Current WoW.

Getting your specializations, getting to forty and getting your first mount, getting to 60, these were all such a huge, big deal, people would throw you parties to celebrate you getting to max level. You felt a bigger connection with the characters and the world because you spent more time in it.

You actually had to read quest text! I know! Reading Quest Text!

They streamlined everything so much they stole the soul and the heart out of it. Out of everything. And while the story is 'arguably' better, it's not, but you could argue that.

Cough cough, They Ruined Sylvanis, cough cough.

ShadowHounder

But it's so easy. I heard it put best like this. Classic is about the Journey. Retail is about the destination.

You literally just grind levels alone until max where you actually get to the real content.

That's not what an MMO should be. MMOs are about interactions. It's about people working together because you were all struggling through the same obstacles. People would buff you as they passed by because it wasn't much trouble and the buffs mattered for leveling. People typed Congratulations in Guild Chat every time you got a level because it took time and effort and you really did feel yourself getting stronger.

I don't like Legion because it makes you the center of the world. You're the chosen one who has the power to change history and everyone worships you.

In Classic to Burning Crusade you were just a Guy struggling in a world that was big and harsh and dangerous. Truly Dangerous. Can you remember the last time you died leveling in Legion? You probably can't.

In Classic you had to play careful, you had to play smart, but more importantly you had to work with people and that bred interaction and kindness and friendships that don't exist in Current WoW.

Getting your specializations, getting to forty and getting your first mount, getting to 60, these were all such a huge, big deal, people would throw you parties to celebrate you getting to max level. You felt a bigger connection with the characters and the world because you spent more time in it.

They streamlined everything so much they stole the soul and the heart out of it. Out of everything. And while the story is 'arguably' better, it's not, but you could argue that.

We shall agree to disagree... Because it appears everything you loved about Classic WoW is everything I hated about it :/

ShadowHounder

On the topic of Sylvanas... I don't like that people are claiming that they ruined her when she has always been manipulative and arrogant... She was only a "good guy" because she wasn't allowed control over a large force (always limited to leader of the Forsaken). And though people will hate Garrosh until the end of time... He made a strong point when he asked Sylvanas: "What makes you any different from Arthus?" And when her answer was simple "I serve the horde" it was obvious... She was never fighting for anything but herself and her undead people. No amount of arguing can change that Sylvanas had played the entire fan base for fools... Which is exactly how Blizzard has depicted her in BfA.

DarkGemini24601

I say this as someone who didn't play classic but got into WoW when Wrath came out, but I very much agree with this. Guilds are the soul of WoW and I know that the one my dad was apart of has mostly crumbled by now because they all lost interest with the more recent expansions.

And for the life of me, I did enjoy the story content. I read quest descriptions - which would probably make the people assigned to write those weep tears of joy that their work wasn't wasted.

After I fell off playing myself, I heard aout the ability to just buy maxlevel characters and was quite confused as to the point of playing the game.

DarkGemini24601

We shall agree to disagree... Because it appears everything you loved about Classic WoW is everything I hated about it :/
And in fairness, this is a totally legitimate way to play as well. I didn't go much cooperatively until they came out with the Pick-up Group system, which for all its frustrations created some lovely and amusing situations in equal parts. I feel like you could pull off solo play in the older versions, it was just harder.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

On the topic of Sylvanas... I don't like that people are claiming that they ruined her when she has always been manipulative and arrogant... She was only a "good guy" because she wasn't allowed control over a large force (always limited to leader of the Forsaken). And though people will hate Garrosh until the end of time... He made a strong point when he asked Sylvanas: "What makes you any different from Arthus?" And when her answer was simple "I serve the horde" it was obvious... She was never fighting for anything but herself and her undead people. No amount of arguing can change that Sylvanas had played the entire fan base for fools... Which is exactly how Blizzard has depicted her in BfA.

Oh I know. She was always a manipulative and she was always working for herself. Sylvanis as a character cared about two things. Before Wrath ot was revenge on Arthas. But after Wrath it was to protect and care for her people The Forsaken.

She stopped seeing them as tools and began to truly love them because no one else did, anyone else would rather wipe them off the face of Azeroth. That's why the Forsaken care so much about their Queen as well.

The problem with the Forsaken is that they can't reproduce, which is why she tends to try her best to avoid open conflict and act more subtely. The only way new Forsaken can be made is by the hand of the Valkyr. And she is running out of Valkyr too.

Sylvanis is a Master Strategist and Manipulator is true and she joined the Horde for her own people's gain. The Horde are a faction of misfits with no place and no home and Sylvanis knew she need them to protect The Forsaken.

This is why it makes no fucking sense that she's behaving like this in BFA. She has always been wary of open conflict because it's not so easy to replace her people, but not only does she declare War against the Alliance when the Horde is seriously weak. (Having lost many leaders and forces after Legion), she also turns her entire Faction against her and puts a giant target on her own people, for no reason, by burning Teldrassil.

She literally brought the forces of the Alliance straight to her door where they killed untold amounts of Forsaken and destroyed Undercity. That makes no sense for a Master Strategist to do, she knew that would happen, she knew Lorderon was vulnerable because it is a merry jaunt away from the capital of men.

Her actions are so completely counter to her goals of keeping the Forsaken alive that the only thing that makes sense is she's out of Character. The entire reason she's helped the Horde this far is because they help stop the Alliance from killing all of them and now she betrays them all? For what end? She doesn't get anything from this she only loses.

(Not to mention the fact they are blatantly rehashing the Garrosh Arc tee for fucking tee.)

And the terrible writing is not only with Sylvanis. Jaina literally can't decide if she hates the Horde or not. They made such a big deal of her decision to kill them all and in the latest cinematic Thrall and Jaina casually decide to work together in five seconds. What? What the fuck?

And don't get me started on Saurfang. Who knows that the Alliance are snakes that will stab you in the back at any moment because they've done it before. Jaina and Genn literally want to Genocide all of them and Saurfang trusts that!? Anyone with a brain would see that they'll just destroy the Horde when they're weak after Sylvanis dies. Another brilliant Horde General Reduced to a bumbling idiot because of plot conveince. Great.

ShadowHounder

Who knows that the Alliance are snakes that will stab you in the back at any moment because they've done it before. Jaina and Genn literally want to Genocide all of them and Saurfang trusts that!?
*cough* Baine helped Jaina be a good person and Genn just is a salty piece of shit *cough*

Saurfang never trusted Greymane and never will... He put his faith in Anduin, not Genn and not Jaina. Baine is the only one who trusts Jaina and 8.3 is giving his trust validation. And it is likely that Greymane and Tyrande will betrayed Anduin to pursue revenge after the war is over. Meaning your arguement here is invalidated by your lack of knowledge in modern WoW... Because like everyone else you are focused on an outdated game with no value outside of nostalgic memories (which actively twist your perspective on a game)

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

*cough* Baine helped Jaina be a good person and Genn just is a salty piece of shit *cough*

Saurfang never trusted Greymane and never will... He put his faith in Anduin, not Genn and not Jaina. Baine is the only one who trusts Jaina and 8.3 is giving his trust validation. And it is likely that Greymane and Tyrande will betrayed Anduin to pursue revenge after the war is over. Meaning your arguement here is invalidated by your lack of knowledge in modern WoW... Because like everyone else you are focused on an outdated game with no value outside of nostalgic memories (which actively twist your perspective on a game)

I have followed WoW Lore for years up to BFA. How do you think I just dropped all that Info?

You are trying to deligitimize my point because you want to assume I haven't been following the lore of Modern because I like Classic? That's extremely unfair.

Baine has been working with Jaina for literally maybe a dozen days in the story. That is hardly enough to do a complete 180 on the Horde that she believed Nuked her Family, City, and Student

But what do I know maybe it's just a part of Jaina's personally to flip flop between Crazy Genocidal Madwoman and Extreme Peaceloving Pacifist at the drop of a hat.

She's more morally confused than Abradolf Lincler.

ShadowHounder

I have followed WoW Lore for years up to BFA. How do you think I just dropped all that Info?

You are trying to deligitimize my point because you want to assume I haven't been following the lore of Modern because I like Classic? That's extremely unfair.

Baine has been working with Jaina for literally maybe a dozen days in the story. That is hardly enough to do a complete 180 on the Horde that she believed Nuked her Family, City, and Student

But what do I know maybe it's just a part of Jaina's personally to flip flop between Crazy Genocidal Madwoman and Extreme Peaceloving Pacifist at the drop of a hat.

She's more morally confused than Abradolf Lincler.
Would you continue to trust a group when they just decided to like your home and kill everyone you cared about? Fuck no! Mains turned to revenge because Garrosh did the unthinkable... Baine simply reminded her why she defended them in the first place. Baine was the last member of the Horde she could still trust... And when he came to her with the tortured soul of her brother... The one that you, as the player, help him save... And spoke to her about saving the Horde from itself, she was giving a eye opening... And a new spark of hope. It infuriates me when people just brush off this level of deep story telling as "Blizzard not knowing what they are doing" when they know more about the story they are crafting then any salty shithead ever will... And I would understand them dying on the inside everytime someone scolds them for not making the story how they want... Rather then how Blizzard presented it.

You want a different story, get a job at Blizz and fix it your fucking self.