RP XSDF Roleplay Thread: Vanguard of Forseti

Frostlich1228

Part 2

"You feel like a stranger in a foreign land a bit, don't you?" She asked, taking a step closer.

Korra shook her head. "It... it's not that. I... I've just... I've been with... 'nice' people before. A few before I came to this ship. When I first... started my training."

"Ah... They hurt you, didn't they?" Camellia replied, trying her hand at another educated guess.

Korra nodded. "People here... think I'm stupid... because I ask stupid questions. Like... about what a woman like me does with a man... besides that. Well, I... I'm just asking based on what I was taught before."

"Maybe they call it stupid because you're from a different culture, a culture where they don't really explain those things to you." She replied, "We more than likely call them stupid questions because they're common sense to most humans."

"I... I guess." Korra sighed, and rubbed her eyes. "What if... they should have been common sense for me too, but I was too wrapped up in... in people paying attention to me to realize how naive I was being?"

"It's seems like your trying to place the blame on yourself here. So you like attention, that's not a bad thing, and it makes sense considering that few people of your species want anything to do with you, so you love the attention you're getting from us humans." Camellia explained.

Korra slowly nodded, but stared down at the floor. "As... a-as long as I don't... go too far to get attention... right?"

Winter chuckled, "Well, yeah, don't go stab people or run around the ship naked. I'm sure the crew wouldn't mind, but the Commander, you know..."

Korra chuckled. "Yeah." She wiped her eyes and smiled at Camilla. "Thanks. I appreciate it."

"No problem, it's my job after all." She said, taking a few notes on a pad next to her desk, "And if you ever want to talk, or even just hang out for awhile, just stop on by."

Korra nodded. "I will. Maybe... maybe we can talk again like this later. Maybe when I'm more myself."

"What... do you mean?" Camellia asked, puckering her lips slightly.

Korra ran her hand through her hair. "Well... my hair is normally red. The reason it's black is because I'm going through my Sahc-diy-deuh. It... it's something Tamearin women go through every... two Earth months. Our hair turns black... sometimes white, we lose our powers, and our emotions go... out of wack, I believe is the expression." She smiled. "Like I said... I'm usually more aggressive then this."

"Oooh! Alright. I read a little bit about it but I didn't know your hair changed colors, interesting." Winter replied, "Well, I'm sure you'll be just as pleasant afterwards, just in a different way."

Korra chuckled, and stood up. "You have a very positive out look on life, huh, Winter?" She walked up to Camilla, and extended her hand.

She blushed a little, standing up and shaking her patient's hand from behind her desk, "Well, you kind of have to for this job. I hope to see you again soon Korra."

"You will." Korra stepped out of the office, pausing outside of the door. She sighed, feeling better then when she had gone in. But she knew there was still plenty wrong, and she knew it was because she hadn't been completely honest. But how could she be? After all, just because someone said they could be trusted...

Are you really that stupid? You weren't being 'nice'! You were being a whore! A tramp! A prostitute!

But... b-but you said... w-what... what if it's yours?

Ha! Prove it. I control everything here. Including the results of any tests you run.

You... you can't... I'll tell everyone you...

Go ahead. With your reputation, I'll be fine, and you'll lose the only place you have left, my little Pon-Taer.

Korra squeezed her eyes shut, and shook her head. With a final sigh, she took off before she had the urge to go back in.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Black0ut & ZombieSplitter53
A Drink Between Teammates: Part One

XSDF Battleship Einherjar
Main Rec Room, The Bar
Feb. 18th, 1539 Hours

Thomas sat down at one of the booths, and ordered a water. Hmmm... Can't get drunk yet. Not like the way Jelani does... Wolfe thought. Wolfe removed his pendant and took a look at his parents, a mixture of sorrow and nostalgia hitting him the moment he opened it. I wish you guys could see me now. Thomas thought sadly.

"Someone important, Mr. Wolfy?" A voice from behind him asked.

Wolfe. Thomas thought. Thomas then turned to Korra and explained, "My parents. The one on the left, my mom. The right, my dad."

Unlike her normal look, Korra's hair was jet black. She also seemed to have a softer look in her eyes then normal. "Cool." She sat in the seat across from him. "You mentioned you wanted to share a drink. I saw you here and figure, 'Why not?'." The Tamearin looked between him and the pendant. "They important to you? They didn't... you know... die, or something, did they?"

Thomas closed both his eyes and the pendant simultaneously. Why did she have to ask that kind of question. Of all the questions she could have chose to ask, why that one? Thomas thought, staring at the glass of water with pained look. She didn't know. She's just trying to socialize with me. Thomas turned to Korra "No...They're not... alive." Thomas said, staring at his glass. I wish they were though... Thomas thought.

Korra frowned, tapping her fingers against the table. "Wow, I... I suck at this, huh?" She shook her head. "Less then a minute in, and I've already..." She looked away. "Sorry..."

"It's okay. It happened awhile ago. Just...hurts" The big man said. The awkward silence hung in the air for a minute, then Wolfe said, in a low voice, "I lost my father when I was 17. It happened over a phone call during the Subjugation War. My mom passed away naturally a few years later." Wolfe said, looking emotionless on the outside, trying to hide how much pain he was in.

Korra nodded. "I was born after the war, so I don't know much about losing people to it. Though from what I hear, Tamaer suffered heavy losses as well. More still when the Ethereal Temple Ship came to tell our aggressors to stand down, and they refused. It was a strange end of our war, fighting Ethereals attacking our planet while fighting along side Ethereals that had attacked your planet." She leaned back. "I... I lost my grandmother a few years ago. I... I know it isn't the same as a parent... but she was more a mother to me then my actual mother, so I have an idea about how you feel."

Wolfe closed his eyes. and said " I'm sorry that you lost your grandmother. I really am." raising his T1 arm onto the table, Thomas said " I lost this in the war, trying to save somebody. That person died in my arms." He said, a dark expression on his face. "But that's why I chose to be a medic. So people don't have to experience what I went through." The big man said. This is probably the first time I told anyone about...that. I didn't even tell Alfred. I hope she realizes how much trust I'm showing her.

Korra smiled. "It really is a noble reason." She twirled one of her now black locks. "I joined because I had few other options. You joined to help people. I'm kinda envious, to be honest."

"Don't be. I'm nothing special. Although..." Thomas looked up taking in Korra's new appearance for the first time, "...you seem to be. What's with the dyed hair?" Thomas asked, trying to avoid being questioned.

Korra raised an eyebrow, then looked at her own hair. "Huh? Oh, no. I didn't dye my hair." At least not black. "This is just a side effect of my Sahc-diy-deuh. A result of my trapped energy. It'll be back to normal in a few days. Nothing special, just a Tamearin thing. Kinda boring."

Wolfe turned away to hide that he was embarrassed. "I guess I need to study up on different races, don't I?" Wolfe said, still blushing. And avoid these embarrassing moments of my personal stupidity.

Korra tilted her head. "Huh? Oh, no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything bad about you?" She frowned. "It's one of those things you take for granted. I mean... my hair has turned black and I've lost my powers every, um... two Earth months since I was sixteen, so I never really thought of it as something people wouldn't understand." She blushed herself, though didn't bother to hide it. "There are so many things I don't know about humans, even after spending years around them. I'm the one who needs to study, not you."

"Well," Thomas turned back to Korra, his face slightly red "if there's something you want to know, just ask."

Korra thought for a moment, then leaned forward. "I'm not sure what human men and human women do for fun. You know... besides that."

... Seriously?
Thomas thought. Thomas, after rolling his eyes, said, "Depends. Amusement parks would be one thing humans do for fun. Another would be dancing." Thomas looked at the Tamearin, slightly unnerved because of how close she was.

Korra tapped her lips in thought. "I see. I'm sorry if I come across as... ditzy? I think that's the word. It's just that, because of their focus on emotional and mental control, Tamearin's don't... I guess you could say they don't get bored as easily, so they don't have to entertain themselves as much. Reading, art, music, and intellectual discussion. That's pretty much it." She placed her chin in her palms. "For one like me, my entire race is... kinda boring. And because of my appearance, most human men only had one idea of what they wanted to do for fun."

Thomas sighed. "Then, as an apology from all the good gentlemen of my race, I apologize. Most guys are stupid like that." Thomas said, giving an apologetic smile.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
A Drink Between Teammates: Part Two

Korra frantically waved her hands in front. "What? No. Nonononono. I... I-I didn't mean to... I've met a couple cool guys since coming here, so..." The Tamearin sighed, placing her head on the table. "I'm really bad at this, huh? I could blame it on the black hair, but this is, what, the third time I've made you feel bad? Fourth time?"

"It's alright, you didn't upset me. Although... if some guy is bothering you, let me know. I'll make sure they leave you alone." Thomas offered, shifting his 'robo-arm' back to his side.

Korra giggled, and leaned back. "Thanks. Though I'm learning to defend myself from a few friends. I think I relied on my psionics a little too much before, and that makes it hard on a ship where they insist on you not using them." Her eyes lingered on Thomas' arm.

Noticing her staring at his T1 arm, Wolfe asked "What's wrong? Something look wrong with my cyber-arm?"

Korra shook her head. "No. Just... looking at it." She smiled sheepishly. "From childhood, we're taught intentional alterations to one's body, like cybernetics or gene-mods, are a perversion of one's natural form. And I..." She looked away for a moment. "I kinda... snapped at someone for getting one, only to find out he lost it defending some innocent people. Had to apologize for it. I'm happy you told me you lost yours before I could say something that made me sound like a vasyma tuk..."

"It's alright. Although, what is a... that thing a vasy...?" the big man asked.

Korra thought for a moment. "Um... the most literal translation would be a... a bitch." She laughed and rubbed the back of her head. "But I guess I usually am a bitch, so there you go."

Thomas raised an eyebrow, "I would beg to differ. If any thing, you're the opposite. You're kind, considerate, and brave. Considerate, because you apologized for upsetting me. Kind, because you messed up and apologized for it. Brave, because you chose to-" remembering his promise, Thomas leaned close to Korra, "Expose your psionic powers, when everyone was in danger. You are a far better person than you think you are." Wolfe said, leaning back and finishing his glass of water.

Korra blushed, brushing a strand of hair back. "You... you are very kind. But the only time we've talked was during our post-battle meeting, where I was intoxicated, and now, where my emotions a effected by my Sahc-diy-deuh. I'm sure, if we talked on any other day, you'd think otherwise. Not many people can stand me, actually." Her head dipped a bit, a sadness crossing her face. "That... that's my fault though."

"Oh?" Thomas' eyebrow shot up again. "Why is it your fault?" It wouldn't be her fault unless... She's pushing people away. Like me. "Are you pushing people away?" Wolfe asked.

Korra closed her eyes, thinking for a moment. "I... I don't know. I flirt with people. Like... a LOT. Most of my dealings with men are flirting. But once they start to get close..." She sighed. "Take Cayden and Brigid for example. They... they're nice. I like them. But the closer they get, the more likely they are to..." She shook her head. "I-I like them. I really do. But I liked... him too. And that just made it harder for me when he... did what he did. That's... probably why I flirt so much. Because if I stop and think about it, think about myself..." She slowly opened her eyes. "I might not like what I find." She shrugged. "So I flirt. I'm sarcastic. I'm antagonistic. And I have a bad temper. All things that push people away... though I'd be lying if I said a lot of it wasn't just... you know, who I am."

Thomas looked at Korra for a few moments and saw someone who had been hurt badly. She's like me... But she can change. I'm starting too. letting her know who I really am. This doesn't have to fully define her. Thomas thought. He took a deep breath and looked the Tamearin in the eyes. "I...I can't stand people. So, I built a mental wall, so if anyone attempted to try and... reach me, they'd hate my guts." The big man said glumly. "Even you. When I first met you, I was thinking that if I knew you better, either you'd betray my trust and hurt me further down the line or if you saw me, the real me, not my stoical mask I don, you'd push me away. I was wrong. Instead, I've told you things I haven't told anyone. You... your probably my closest friend I have." Thomas revealed. "But I took a gamble on you, changing myself slightly. What you put up as a shield against others doesn't define you." Wolfe finished, looking down at the empty glass.

Korra smiled lightly. "Well, I... I guess if you can do it... I can try and do the same. With my roommates. With Nick. With... my teammates." Her smile widened a bit. "I guess life is about taking chances, huh? Including with people." Her smile wavered a bit. "Even when... even when people do things that make you want to... close the doors forever..."

Thomas shook his head. "Life is about finding people who give a damn about you and spending as much time as possible with them. Because you won't always have them. So if these people, Brigid and Cayden, actually care about you, spend time with them. Let them know how special they are to you." The big man said standing up, "It's the little things that you really pick up on and are the first things you miss. Now, my only request I have for you is to stay out of the brig. Let me deal with any of the assholes who pick on you, Korra, because I don't have brig time. It'll be safer for you, than losing your career." Turning away, Wolfe said "Stay kind, Ms. Devo." Thomas, then, walked out of the bar.

Korra considered going after him for a moment, but simply shook her head. "Stay kind, he says," she muttered, and sat back, closing her eyes. If he saw me on my normal days, would he like what he saw? She shook her head again. Maybe... he would. Or wouldn't mind. And the others already have. Maybe... I should give it a try. Especially the part about staying out of the brig. She let out a deep sigh. "But why confide in some alien girl half his age?" She shrugged, and got up herself, heading to her room to take a nice, long shower.

Dahlexpert

A new and strange roommate

Cassia looks at Progress from The Einherjar and almost regrets her choice of joining, Cassia takes her loges to the solders barracks where she sees an empty room, but here’s a shower running. “Ou so I have a roommate, I wonder who it could it be?”

Noire comes out of the shower wearing nothing but a towel, thinking about ways she can increase her training method Noire finally opens her eyes and sees Cassia.

“Ou not bad, should I expect to see this daily?”

Noire shrikes and points her finger at Cassia. “Wh…..who are you and what are you doing in my room?

“The names Cassia van dam, I’m going to be your new roommate or is that bed taken.”

Roommate, um OK sure can you hand me the pile of close that’s right there then. “

Can you do a little dance for me, Cassia says jokingly

“How about no, now can you please give me my close.” Cassia gives Noire her close and leaves the room to give Noire time to change, after a few minutes Noire told Cassia to come back in.

“Now for a proper introduction my name is Cassia Van Dam and it’s good to meet you. Cassia extends her hand.

Noire shakes Cassia hand “Great to meet you Cassia my name is Noire it’s a pleasure to meet you, um out of curiosity I’m probley wrong about this but. Is your family a tribe of mercenaries that live in Alaska?”

“Yes actually and your eva’s kid right.”

How do you know who my mom is, I never told you her name.”

We meet before, and by that I mean I meet you when you were a baby. Cassia came to my village to show you to us.”

Well that explains how you know me, so were going to be roommates huh well I guess make yourself at home.

Great thanks. Cassia put’s a shrine of Apollo on a desk, and Noire looks confused by it.

Um, what is that weird statue?

“Ou it’s a statue of the goddess of hunters Apollo, I worship the Greek gods is that OK?”

“As long as you don’t try to convert me or anything like that then do what you want.

“Ou don’t worry I won’t, hay since your Eva kid how is Eva I haven’t seen her in years and how’s Jean?”

There both great still married, and still act like there in their late twenties. But they were great parents, which reminds me what did you do before coming here.”

“I live on Progressus for about ten years and I’m also a bounty hunter. Been doing that since I was eighteen, been on all the human colonels and now I’m here.”

“Wait you’re a religious bounty hunter, they make you you’re an odd one you know that.”

Aw thanks but hay I like being weird and odd and different, I think of it as a comment so call me whatever you want.

“Hum since your from progressus do you know any local bars or anything, I mean I would love to get some fresh air.

“Ou yea I know most of the bars down there, when was the last time you were off the ship?”

“My first mission, which was on Novum and I never got to see the colonel itself.”

“Well you can use some air so just for today I will show you around, and maybe get you some new close.”

“Well it’s not like I need any new close but why not, gives me a chance to hang out with my new Roommate.”

“That’s the spirt, now come on let’s go have some fun.”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
You Gotta Be A Man

Somewhere in Subspace (February 18th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:56 P.M., Earth Standard)
Room of Connor Karo

Connor sat at the table in his room, looking down at the choices he had in front of him. With his roommates, and squadmates, Aknin and Hunter out and about, he took this opportunity to take care of a bad itch he needed to scratch. Earlier that morning, after his weekly exam with his doctor, he was left the perfect window to do what he needed to.

The door was locked and he rubbed his hands together, the line on the table making him anxious. It had been nearly 8 months since his last time and he had done well, but nothing lasted forever. 30 mg of morphine, enough to give him the high he needed while being a small enough quantity that it would be gone by the time next week came for his test.

If he ever got caught with the pills he had hidden in his gym bag, he would pass it off as prescribed from a doctor in rehab. He had the scripts for the pills, but in reality they were fakes. Even if the XSDF wanted to trace the pills, they would lead back to a doctor’s office, the man who worked there an actual doctor but part time drug dealer as well. the bottle was still very much full, having gotten it before he had gotten on the ship.

He crushed down the pills himself and would sniff them up with his nose, only limiting himself to strictly one pill at a time. However, the line of crushed morphine on the table was not the only item there that tempted him.

Off to the side, there was a bottle of open beer he had finished halfway. He snuck it out of the bar, not really being allowed to take the drinks out of the bar but no one having stopped him from doing it either. Right next to the drug, there was an envelope with Connor’s name on it, having been with the mail that was forwarded to Progressus.

He had not opened it or attempted to open it as of yet, his mind racing as to what it could have been. It was like there were two choices in front of him, he could take the drugs and forget the letter, or he could open it and possibly regret doing so. He had been staring at them for twenty minutes, trying to decide what he would do.

Finally, he reached a decision and picked up the envelope, turning it over in his hands and just looking at it as if it was more than it actually was. It took a few more minutes before he opened it and took out the contents and looked at the folded up paper that was the first thing he saw.

He knew the symbol at the top left of the page, noticing it as the same one that was on the courthouse he had been tried in. However, it was the name on it that caught him by surprise, the letter actually being from the office that his attorney had worked in at the court. He briefly skimmed it over real quick but as he finished it he had to read it back, upon finishing again, he reread it and a small smile spread across his face.

The letter outlined that upon the court's hearing about his enrollment into the XSDF, that have granted him permission for video calls with his daughter, and even that if he kept up the good work, he may be very well on the right track to getting his daughter back, but he also outlined not to get his hopes up, as the battle would still be long.

Putting the letter aside, Connor noticed there was other stuff along with it, the piece of paper underneath the court notice being surprisingly hand written, the letter being written on a pink sheet with flowers printed on bordering the top. The big cursive writing could have been from only one person, and Connor sat back down in his seat because he was too shocked to stand back up.

Dear Daddy, I heard you had joined the military after Grandpa and Grandma took me. I just wanted to write cause I want you to stay safe and come home so you can be my Daddy again. School is going good and I have been sure to make lots of friends. I want you to know that I believe in you, and that you are my hero, I love you to the moon and back, Tracy.

Connor bawled his eyes out, pressing the hand-written letter on his forehead and a new sense of loss and guilt taking over him. It was not long before he wiped his eyes and looked at the last piece of paper that had come in the letter, a math test that had the name Tracy Karo at the top, a big ‘A-’ at the top, little doodles of butterflies or rainbows and stars a bit littered around, obviously showing she had gotten the test done quickly.

Also at the top left corner was a picture taped on, one that showed Tracy, Connor, and Louise during a holiday vacation a couple of years back. Now the tears changed and he began to laugh, tears of sorrow and guilt turning into joy and happiness, knowing that his daughter had still believed in him and trusted him to get her back.

He looked back down at the table and immediately got up and grabbed the trash can in the corner of the room, bringing it over and wiping the morphine into it, being sure to leave no trace of what he had put there and was going to do. Putting the can back, he went back to the letters and he smiled, pocketing the note his daughter wrote him and the picture he took off the test and placing the other pieces of paper into the envelope and putting them under his pillow, any urges he had gotten or had gone.

He went to the door and unlocked it, needing to be out and wanting to just scream out everything he felt. He settled on going to the gym, wanting to make sure he was at peak condition to make sure he would make it back to his daughter and show her the hero she knew he was.

Mangrale

Live to Regret, Part 1: Borrowed Time

XSDF Progessus Colony
New Manaus, West Plaza
February 16, 2044, 1642 Hours

The restoration and repair effort continued at a steady pace. Except for a noticeable amount of construction equipment, vehicles, safety precautions, and service workers, the plaza seemed largely unchanged from how it was before the attack two days ago. The people themselves have gone about their business, although around here, their voices share airspace with the cacophony of working machinery around them. Narcisse sat next to, and started a conversation with an older Quin gentleman, who was reading from his wide datapad, on a wooden bench facing the fountain.

“So you’re with the XSDF, huh? Must be exciting.” The towering Quin’s voice wasn’t overly enthusiastic and he didn’t bother looking up from his news article. He just sat straight and to any onlooker, he would appear to not even acknowledge anyone else’s existence. The Quin seemed well off financially, from his pristine horn fitted with a jewelry band to his upper middle class business attire.

Narcisse leaned back and rested his arms on the backrest of the bench, looking into the flowing fountain. “‘Exciting’ isn’t the word I’d use, Onihr,” he spoke steadily, in contemplation. “I haven’t even seen combat in my newest assignment.”

Onihr took a look at his business stocks, and saw the adverse affects of the attempted abductions on his interests. “Whoa, that’s rough. And it looked so promising before…”

“Ah, I can’t complain. I don’t have the right to,” the pilot lazily made a simple sweeping motion with his right hand towards the Quin, as if to shun the thought. “We already lost some good people.”

The hulking gentleman swiped his armored finger across the pad to look at the obituaries, some of which mentioned were his employees, the victims of recent criminal activities. “Yes… very good people…” he said with a trace of loss.

“I mean I would think they were good people. I-I… never got to know them very well... Or at all…”

Onihr blinked, starting to realize Narcisse had been talking about something else. His eyes still didn’t leave his datapad. He paused, trying to think of something to say to hide his ruse. “The loss is yours, my friend.”

“I know… it always is...” Narcisse shook his head, refusing to let himself ponder on such things during his shore leave. “So… I take it you have a wife... “ he said, trying to change the conversation.

Feeling relieved, Onihr tapped at the gold, jewel encrusted band around his horn. “I surely do. Love of my life, she is. Sorec. The only reason I put up with this shinso-infested dirt pile.”

Narcisse rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I bet Progressus would be a totally different place without the Shinso around,” he said in a sarcastic fashion.

“You wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss things if you came across one,” the Quin said with no change in his tone, eyes still on his pad.

“Well I’ll agree as far as their, um… rather harsh… slavery, of the Cartus at least.”

“I know what you mean, Narcisse. Those freaks are so unbelievably lazy, aren’t they?”

The frenchman stopped mid thought. - Okay, new topic! Please! New topic! Oh for the love of…!

“Ah but enough about them. What about you. You have a ‘companion’ of your own, don’t you, boy?”

Narcisse frowned a little, his face reddening. God damn it! “Eh… No… not at the moment…”

“That’s nothing to be ashamed of. You’ll find someone sooner or later. Give it time.”

“That’s a… nice thought, Onihr.” Narcisse leaned his head back to look up at the midday sky. But that’s… for other people. Me? My time… already passed. He grinned defiantly and chuckled. All the same, the AFC didn’t feel like talking much anymore, and got up from the bench to stretch his legs.

Onihr still didn’t look at him all this time and maintained his unaffected tone. “I know it seems funny now, Narcisse. But someday you’ll see for yourself.” He did, however, notice that Narcisse stood up from the bench out of the corner of his eye. “Going for a walk about town? Better be careful.”

Narcisse laughed aloud while stretching his arms. “You don’t have to tell me! I was almost robbed by a pair of kids! Nearly got my bag and everything!”

“Hmmm, wouldn’t want that. Must have some fairly valuable things in there.”

“Not really: just had some traveler’s guides to New Manaus, my binoculars, and other sightseeing crap.” Narcisse thought about the extent to which he defended it yesterday. “Still… wasn’t about to let some brats steal it. I think I’ve seen all I wanted to see of this place though. So I just left it behind today.”

“Smart man… All the same, be careful.”

“I will. Have a pleasant day, Onihr. Give my best to Sorec, alright?”

“Absolutely. And good day to you too, Narcisse.”

Narcisse passed by and patted the shoulder of the massive Quin, who happened to only then catch a glimpse of his pitch black hand. “Wait… he’s a… a… human?... Oh dear…” he muttered in genuine disbelief.

Last edited:

Mangrale

Live to Regret, Part 2: Silent Descent

Bellrose strolled about the plaza for a time, to see what stalls were rebuilt. He passed by a black cloaked, tall, thin figure, but paid no heed to him until they were feet away from each other. Then he heard a hissing voice echo through his mind.

What good fortune that I should find you... Narcisse Bellrose.

Narcisse stopped dead, but did not turn to face the strange figure he suspected was telepathically communicating with him. “I don’t know who that is. Get out of my head,” he said calmly.

No, it is you. I recognized you during that stunt you pulled at the market yesterday. There’s no denying it.

The pilot shook his fists and abruptly turned to the telepath, eyes narrowed. “So you’ve found me. Now what? You can’t honestly expect to try something around he-”

You misjudge me… I’m not here to harm you… No, I’m here to help you. The figure turned to face Narcisse, its head covered in a black hood.

The frenchman maintained his scepticism. “Since when has anyone speaking only through telepathy have someone’s best interests at heart? Now leave me alone. I don’t want your help.”

The stranger mentally uttered a low, airy laugh. Are you sure?... What if I told you I know where your father is?...

Narcisse’s eyes widened. He took a shaky step back, dumbfounded for a moment, before clenching his fists even tighter. “My father is dead! How dare you-”

Is that what you told yourself? Well sorry to ruin the fantasy he projected with a hint of condescension.

Bellrose dashed forward and grabbed the collar of the stranger, his face still veiled in darkness.

The cloaked figure’s thoughts suffered no adverse change in character. Now, now… you sure you’d want to ‘try something’ around here?

Conflicted,the man from Rennes flinched and released his captive.

There. Isn’t that better? The hooded telepath fixed his cloak with his cloth covered hands. Now, if you would follow me, you alone… I’ll take you where you need to go… The thin figure began to walk, but noticed the man standing where he was, unsure of what to do. Or... you could stay here… and miss this opportunity to see him again… your choice. He started walking once more.

Narcisse sighed and commenced a calm stride behind the stranger, without a word. I know I’m going to regret this… But regrets are like friends. There’s always room for one more…

There was complete silence between the two throughout their journey. They didn’t take any cabs, which just further cemented Narcisse’s assumption that his benefactor was not as law abiding as one could be. New Manaus exhumed vitality wherever they went. The sounds, the smells, the people - everything seemed in preparation of another night of celebration.

Must be nice… I never bothered noticing before now… Good people still live on Progressus… The pilot smiled thinly, a jest at his own sentimentality.

Amongst the chattering crowds, unbeknownst to Narcisse, familiar faces noticed him from afar.

As the pair traveled further and further from the center of New Manaus and closer to its eastern wall where it meets the jungle, there were less people and even fewer patrolmen. The neighborhood they reached was not in the best condition, obviously due to a very real criminal presence there. There were fixtures in the street that had their share of bullet holes as well of other signs of conflict. Each step Narcisse took felt like another nail in his awaiting coffin. Still, he could not bring himself to turn back now.

Mangrale

Live to Regret, Part 3: From the Grave

XSDF Progessus Colony
New Manaus, Township Outskirts
February 16, 2044, 1807 Hours

The mysterious figure led Narcisse to a sizable abandoned warehouse, once used in the storage of common building materials: wood, stone and hardened clay products, along with an assortment of tools, much of which still found there. Many of its windows were broken in, even along the ten foot high, suspended metallic catwalk. There were a few stacks of wooden crates scattered about the ground floor, specific contents unknown.

The sun was setting, it’s blood orange light failing to adequately light the inside of the building entirely. It served as no surprise to Narcisse that there was no trace of his father here. As effortlessly as he could, he tucked a long shard of broken glass, that was lying on a crate by the entrance, under his left coat sleeve. Still no words up to this point. When they made it to the middle of the warehouse, the stranger made no effort to turn around. Both of them had their own ideas of how the day would end.

The telepath broke the silence, so to speak, by sending his superficial banter through Narcisse’s mind. I hope you liked that little tour we had of the town… And the people... Such carefree individuals… All smiles… Almost as if they don’t realize… Or don’t care…

Narcisse shifted his lower jaw impatiently, not at all in the mood to waste time. “Now that we’re out of the public eye, how about you lose the sheets and tell me who you are.”

The figure telepathically laughed, almost hysterically. His projected thoughts now carried an even more sinister quality to them, if such a thing were possible. Ah, eager to get it over with, are we? Fine... The stranger gripped the hood of his cloak and threw it away to reveal an altered Replitan. He was lacking any traces of Ethereal modifications, although he was equipped with light armor, a crude prosthetic left arm and a piece of steel plating fixed around his mouth and the back of his scaly head. He was, in fact, the former leader of the now disbanded Harvesters gang, Viranti Felrave. He brandished his laser pistol in his right hand … Although I’d suggest you come with me quietly!

Narcisse set his right hand in position, ready to draw his gauss pistol from its holster in the left breast of his coat. “I sincerely hope you don’t expect me to recognize you. Granted, I’d surely remember a face like yours.”

I am the true master of the Harvesters - forced to wither away on this miserable planet, stealing its pitiful inhabitants away to eek out a living! Viranti aimed his handgun at Narcisse. And you... will be my last delivery!… I got potential buyers who’d love to meet you!

“Sure thing…” Bellrose said with smirk, but he became austere as he pulled out his gauss pistol, aiming it at the Replitan in turn. “...but first, you’re going to tell me everything you know about my father! Even if it’s the last thing you ever say!”

I think not… the gang leader projected, slowly and menacingly. He lifted his head, reptilian eyes to the ceiling. Almost immediately, two other Replitans crashed through the already busted windows on two sections of the catwalk on opposite ends of the building, one to the pilot’s left and one on the right, each of them equipped with very light armor and plain ballistic weaponry. The left alien carried a ballistic carbine and the right alien: a ballistic submachine gun.

Viranti tilted his head back down, only to notice that Narcisse had hid himself behind a nearby group of crates, though which ones exactly, not even his subordinates had seen. As it happened, the dwindling sunlight was biased towards the right side of the warehouse, so the frenchman crouched by some crates stationed directly under the walkway, where the leftmost Replitan was perched. Luckily he was also not in the line of sight of the gang leader, who still taunted him telepathically.

Figures you wouldn’t give up like a good little military mongrel! But that’s fine by me! I only need you alive enough to sell! he hissed in delight before signaling the other two to come down and search. In true Replitan fashion, they flipped down to the ground with relative ease, but stayed on their respective sides. He, at the same time, cautiously made his way towards the entrance of the building to activate a nearby light switch, in order to find their prey quicker.

As silently as possible, Narcisse approached the unsuspecting, carbine wielding Replitan from behind. With his right arm, he secured the alien in a headlock, tilting his head back. He then let the sharp glass shard drop from his sleeve to his left hand and sliced it across the criminal’s exposed throat. Luckily, much to the AFC’s relief, many of the members of the this particular gang had been forced to undergo a drastic deweaponization program. Therefore, only the Replitan’s green vital fluids gushed from his neck. The henchman almost let out a high pitched sound of pain before his mouth and nose was covered by Bellrose’s hands and gently laid down, lifeless. Still, the scuffle did alert his comrades, who still had not turned the lights on yet. Viranti attempted to make contact with his gunner only to receive no response in return. He rightly assumed the worst.

Mangrale

Live to Regret, Part 4: Darkness and Shadows

Damn you! I’ll be sure to tear you to shreds and sell you in pieces! The Replitan was joined with his remaining subordinate and finally flipped the light switch, activating two separate hanging light bulbs, their illumination combined, significantly increasing the brightness of the building’s interior. Viranti knew the relative position of his fallen follower, yet still did not see Narcisse, who was momentarily preoccupied, rummaging through his victim’s belongings: carbine, ammunition, grenade, and chewy energy bar. The boss then commanded his submachine gunner to toss his own grenade there.

The explosive arced over several crates and landed near the dead Replitan, catching Narcisse off guard. He grabbed the carbine, but in his haste, accidentally left the grenade with the body. The pilot was forced to dash for new cover deeper into the warehouse, a trip that left him susceptible to his opponents’ gunfire. Mid dash, Narcisse shot a volley of carbine shells at the closest light bulb, managing to break it and cast his end of the space in darkness, before the combined explosions from the grenades blew a giant opening on the side of the building. However, amid the Replitan offensive, a laser beam connected to the right side of his abdomen, burning through his coat and shirt, all the way to his skin layer. Narcisse yelled out in pain, but was able to stumble behind cover near an old forklift, left hand clasping his side. Breathing unevenly and heavily, Bellrose returned his hand to his sight, it now painted in his scarlet blood. He contorted his face and barely kept himself from panicking. Despite Viranti’s ongoing taunts, he calmed down enough to regain his wits and focus, taking off his seared coat.

Now in cover, the two traffickers waited, Viranti especially considering his next move. A few seconds of silence later and they heard the minor sounds of crushed glass coming from a darkness-laden area yards ahead of them. They swiftly took positions closer, where Felrave could just make out the vaguely human shape of an erect figure by the forklift. Without hesitation, he and his lackey opened fire on the object, the laser beam’s red glow momentarily revealing Narcisse’s now riddled overcoat toppling to the floor from one of the forklift’s raised prongs.

The very next second, Narcisse appeared at the dumbfounded duo’s right flank, firing the stolen carbine and significantly injuring the SMG Replitan, who stumbled to the ground with shots to his stomach and legs, overwhelmed by the pain. Felrave frantically retreated in the opposite direction, desperately attempting to fire at the assailant, but failing to score a direct hit. Bellrose fell back as well, firing the last of the carbine’s ammunition at the remaining light bulb. Suddenly, the only source of light came from the ever rising moon which illuminated through the left windows and the gaping hole in the wall. Viranti was noticeably shaken. The legacy of the Harvesters ended with him and right now, his greatest threat was stalking him, ready to strike from anywhere, at any moment. The slightest tapping sound caused him to erratically hold his laser pistol at the perceived direction. Needless to say, he objected to the new change in circumstance.

Fuck you! You little whelp! You think you’ve beaten me!... The Replitan jolted to his left in response to the sound of a dropped carbine. He fired his pistol; the flash of light revealing nothing. I am the master of the Harvesters! You pathetic freak! And you will - Before he could finish, he swiveled his head just in time to meet Narcisse’s fist burst from the shadows and collide with his face, sending him reeling against a wooden crate away from the decimated opening. Viranti collected himself and was able to dodge out of the way of another of Narcisse’s savage punches, which smashed a good sized hole in the box.

Dazed from the previous connecting blow, the gang leader aimed his pistol, faltering enough to allow Narcisse to finally shoot his gauss pistol, the round shredding the Replitan’s right shoulder, making him drop his weapon. Amongst the terrible mental screams of the last Harvester, the frenchman charged at Felrave, who held his remaining left prosthetic arm behind his back. The fingers of his arm spread out and folded back, so as not to get in the way of the foot long, serrated steel knife protruding out of the the palm. As Narcisse was just feet away, Viranti lunged at him revealing his blade. To counterattack, the pilot only just sidestepped to the right, shifting behind the Replitan, kicking the back of his knee to force him to crouch and grabbing his arm. In one fierce, violent motion, Narcisse crushed the upper arm in between his own right elbow and knee, allowing him to tear the entire appendage off of Viranti’s body. With the blade still extended from the limb, he swung it upward, slicing a large gash along the Replitan’s chest. It was Narcisse’s grip on his slashed armor that kept him upright.

Mangrale

Live to Regret, Part 5: Brave Face

Utterly defeated, Viranti was powerless against his attacker. Still, he mustered his last ounce of defiance. You’re… an animal… born out of death… He grew weaker in Bellrose’s hands. … fit only to fight… and die… (feeble, sinister laugh) … just like me…

Narcisse roared in uncontrolled rage and slammed Viranti against the rightmost wall, opposite the destroyed one, holding him by the throat with his left hand, mercilessly beating his face in with his right, the wound to his abdomen, if anything, prompting his fist to hit with greater ferocity.

Unknown to him, however, was that three law enforcement vehicles had converged outside the structure, the officers from which, prepared to raid the warehouse. Unfortunately, the two children, one boy and one girl, who had convinced the officers to take them along in the first place, managed to escape the the cop car they were made to stay in, the girl telekinetically dislodging the door from its hinges. They ran for the warehouse but the officers were just quick enough to catch the girl before she went any farther.

“Where is he?!” Narcisse desperately shouted, his right hand held back from punching to give Viranti the opportunity to respond, before delivering another to the criminal’s head, it now slumping into unconsciousness. “No! Don’t you dare faint on me!” Viranti fainted on him.

Steaming, Bellrose pulled his fist back, ready to finish the trafficker off once and for all. But without warning, a smaller pair of arms wrapped around his arm, holding it back.

“What the hell are you doing!” Silva yelled. “That’s enough! You beat him already!”

The boy’s pleas fell on deaf ears. Blinded by rage, Narcisse threw Felrave to the floor and turned his attention to a new target, grasping the boy by his shirt collar and lifting him off the ground.

“What are you…!” Silva exclaimed in horror, forced to look at Narcisse’s agonizing expression, face to face. His tearing eyes pierced through the boy’s mind.

“Freeze!” commanded one of the approaching police officers, aiming his handgun at the pilot. “Put the boy down! Now!” Soon all of them trained their sights and flashlights on him.

Narcisse’s eyes widened, him breaking out of his berserk state to realize what was happening. “W-wait, w-what is… I-I don’t… I mean I wouldn’t…” he spoke in agonizing confusion. He dropped Silva to his feet and looked at him remorsefully. “I-I would never…”

The lights were blinding and there were knots in his stomach. But among all the firearms fixed on him, Narcisse still noticed one that was out of place. It was a submachine gun, held by a ground bound Replitan that the others were too preoccupied with him to notice. Narcisse clutched Silva’s shoulders and shoved him aside. Gunfire erupted. And then silence.

XSDF Progessus Colony
New Manaus, Township Outskirts
February 16, 2044, 1850 Hours

Narcisse was sitting, legs flat, and leaning against the cold, rigid wall where he had stumbled against after the attack. The machine gunning alien had been dealt to a disfiguring degree, but not before it unloaded a volley of ballistic rounds into the Narcisse’s right arm and upper torso. Almost any movement on his part would cause immeasurable pain, making him cringe. Around him were the law enforcement officers, investigating the grounds and surrounding area. But crouched directly to his left and right were Silva and Celeste respectively, both worriedly watching over him. Earlier, Silva had noticed Narcisse’s gauss pistol lying on the floor, but oddly couldn’t bring himself to take it. To anyone who’d ask in the future, he’d say it was because of all the cops.

Even with his practically destroyed coat over his shoulders, the icy wind perforated through to Narcisse’s skin, causing him to shiver uncontrollably, leading to another shot of pain. He cringed slightly.

“Does it hurt?” Celeste innocently inquired, her honest concern plainly seen in her expression.

At first, her ridiculously naive question annoyed him. But Bellrose’s expression softened, believing she would not comprehend the full meaning of the response he’d just thought of. He wearily extended his right arm, stopping for a second to ride through the intense agony, and landed his hand gently on her head, patting it in reassurance. “All the time…” he said with a heatening smile, his lethargy evident in each word.

“Serves you right for taking on these guys alone!” Silva blurted out, turning away his head angrily.

Narcisse chuckled loudly, placing his left hand on the boy’s shoulder. “What can I say?... Trouble... tends to follow me…”

“Well if it was up to me…!” Silva resistantly brushed his hand away, recognizing what he meant. “... I wouldn’t care what happens to a loser like you! Cel made me come here!”

“Oh really?” Narcisse grinned fraily, taking welcome delight in frustrating him once again. “Are... you sure?” He closed his eyes for a moment, to fully take in the sound of the boy’s incensed grunt. The calming sensation he received from his eyes being closed was so soothing, he felt disinclined to open them again. His tired head started to sink.

Just before the kids could rouse him awake, one of the officers neared the three of them. “Mr. Bellrose?” she said flatly, unsympathetic to the perceived mad man. The sound of his name startled him, garnering his attention. “An ambulance is on its way. On the off chance you live long enough, I only hope you realize what a complete idiot you’ve been.”

Narcisse gave a soft laugh and tilted his head down. “Lui donner le temps… [Give it time…]” he muttered to himself quietly.

Immediately, she turned to leave them to continue her duties. But then, just as quickly, she refaced them. “And another thing: I expect you to pay for the damage your niece did to my squad car!” That said, she stomped away.

The pilot gave Celeste a bewildered look, her face turning red with guilt. He paid it no mind and tapped her head again, telling her not to worry about it.

And so, the two children stayed with the injured cyborg throughout his last night in New Manaus. He still had so many unanswered questions. But as he was carted away, facing the bright night sky, the potential answer to one of them, haunted him to no end.

“Th-thanks... you two…”

“What are you thanking us for, Narcy?”

“All kinds of things…”

Yes… Good people still live on Progressus…

Adrammalech

| NEW AFFECTIONS
| Tabitha Le’talla / Mark Exalt (MarineAvenger)
| The Bar on the Einherjar
| Progressus Spaceport
| February 16th, 2044 – 3:20 PM

As Mark brought back two cups of coffee from the bar and sat at their table, Tabitha took it with a polite nod and looked around the room. The less populated day crowd of the bar reminded her of the pub on Luna, and she felt a pang of homesickness creeping into her stomach. She felt embarrassed to be out and about with her white hair and couldn’t shake the feeling the humans were looking at her funny, even though she never caught anyone doing so.

“This is nice,” she said tentatively, her arms tight against her side. “I’ve never been here during the day, without the squad.”

Mark nodded his head, also looking around on his own. “I usually never come here except for the occasionally needed drink after a stressful day, though even then I tend to stay away from bars. I hate rowdy crowds. They make me anxious and annoy me.”

“Used to it, I guess,” she shrugged. “I was a waitress on Luna, although I don’t know how rowdy that is by human standards. Usually it wasn’t very busy unless someone made some kind of discovery.”

“Back in college I attended many bars when I should have been studying. It is nothing against bars themselves or the people in them, I just… well I hate it. But I deal, and this is a nicer time. The day we actually met, I was just supposed to have a quick drink and go to bed but for some reason I just wanted to make the drink last. Must have just been a more stressful day than usual, though we met at least.”

“I’m glad you did,” Tabitha smiled, loosening up slightly. “You’ve been a good friend, even in the little while we’ve known each other.”

He smiled briefly but it fell when he scratched his neck. “Thank you. I do not have many… friends as you can imagine.”

“I can’t,” she raised an eyebrow.

“I’m committed to my work now. I may have slacked off in the past but I can’t allow myself to fall behind again. Usually I work whatever overtime I am allowed to do and when I am not working in the labs or engineering, I read alone or spend time with my family. Does not really leave a lot of room for friends. I also come off as… cold or abrasive to most people.”

“I don’t see why the former would be bad, I would consider that an admirable trait. Anything that involves hard work is good, because it means they’re capable of effort and passion.” Tabitha paused, taking a sip of her coffee. “And you don’t seem that way to me, but people have told me Tamearins are seen as that too.”

Mark held his coffee with both hands, swirling it around a little bit without taking a sip. “I am convinced my subordinates hate the living hell out of me. I admit I push them a little hard but that is because the work needs to get done and I expect the best of the staff. It seems that they would like things to be different from that.”

“I couldn’t speak for them, but maybe they understand,” she said, “after all, they’re grown scientists. Not like you’re bossing around busboys or something.”

Sipping his beverage, he looked at her with a quizzical look. “Speak from experience yourself?”

“Nah, I was the one being ordered,” she chuckled. “Even then, I didn’t hate my boss. He was annoying, really annoying at times, but it just kind of comes with the territory.”

“Did you enjoy the work? I know you mentioned the people who fancied you but did you actually like the job?”

“I don’t know if anyone likes a job like that, just kind of tolerates it. I left my homeworld because I didn’t get along with people, and even when the people on Luna were nicer, just taking orders was kind of scary for a while.” Tabitha sighed, then perked up a bit. “But it gave me shelter, food, socialization, and ultimately led me to getting my psionic testing and joining XSDF. Without it, I wouldn’t be here with you, so...it was alright, I guess I’m saying. Sorry, am I babbling?”

Mark shook his head and he reached across the table, touching her hand and giving a small grin. “N-No… it’s… cute.” He responded a bit awkwardly.

Tabitha visibly calmed, easing out of her defensive posture. “Well, thank you. How about you? Others aside, do you like doing what it is you do?”

“Y-Yes and no. I always enjoy working in my fields but at times it gets… hollow. Like what I do has lost the special feeling I got when I used to get when I first started. I am sure if my mother heard that, she would whole-heartedly disagree with me and lecture me about how important what I really do is.”

“You should do what you want to, though, not something for someone else. My parents didn’t want me to leave the homeworld, but I felt I had to, and it’s worked out for me so far.”

“Easier said than done. Better not let my sister hear that either. I have a bad feeling she is even more of a stickler for the sciences.” He stated with a disappointed look.

Tabitha pulled her hand and put it on top of his. “Maybe you need a new project or a new field, something that will ignite your passions again.”

He hesitated, looking down at her hand on top of his. “Maybe… I don’t really know…” He rubbed her hand with his thumb and sighed. “Anyways, what else should we concern ourselves with besides my job.” He told her with a smile.

“Well, there’s precious little time for hobbies here, so we could talk about those. And not just the kind of stuff we can do trapped on the ship, either.”

“H-Hobbies?” Mark scratched his head and said, “Well… I don’t really have a lot besides reading. I mean I listen to music and stuff but I can’t really think of anything else. The only thing that comes close is that when I was a little kid, I loved board games. My Dad used to play checkers with me though i easily beat him every time. Some staffs members I knew would occasionally sneak in the side game with me and as I got older I got more into chess and others as well, but really those two were the ones I enjoyed most. A-And you?”

“I’m pretty boring, as you know, I just like to read and research and think about things mostly. When I’m, you know, different,” she said, pointing towards her hair, “I just feel like making things, you know? Singing, or dancing, or drawing, or painting. Whatever I have on hand, if I have anything. Even though I’ve lived with humans for a while, I haven’t had much opportunity or courage to go out and learn the entertainment. Like, I don’t know what ‘chess’ is…”

“Well… maybe I could teach you one day if we ever find pieces or a board. You might want to start with checkers first though… it is like chess but a lot simpler to learn. B-But I never knew you did any of those things, that’s amazing!” He said with genuine excitement. “I might have to see some of your artwork sometime or hear you sing or dance.”

“Oh, you wouldn’t like anything I do,” Tabitha blushed. “I just scrape together stuff because I’m in the mood for it…I don’t even really think I’m a good singer.”

“Well… I won’t be able to tell that until I actually hear you now will I? If you are willing to be supportive of me, I see no reason why I shouldn’t be able to do the same. Besides, you voice is already lovely, I don’t see why your singing would be any different.”

Adrammalech

| NEW AFFECTIONS: PART TWO

“You think so?” Tabitha smiled. “Well, I couldn’t do it here, even if I wanted to…maybe I could some other time. When we’re somewhere private.”

Mark nodded and said, “And when I can, I will see about getting us the games. Shouldn’t be too hard…” He continued to look at Tabitha for a few moments and he had to ask the question that was on his mind. “Have you ever tried… forcing yourself to revert back to your other personality? It would seem most of your time with me has been spent in this ‘blue’ sort of phase.” He asked rather bluntly.

“‘Forcing?’ I haven’t really tried recently, but I try when I change in public, because of the embarrassment…the short answer is no, it just doesn’t work. Maybe after a few hours pass I could, but mostly I just am what I am. I suppose someone else could try, but really I only turn red from others when I get pissed off, or really happy, or…”

He raised an eyebrow. “Or…?”

“You know…‘excited.’” Tabitha’s skin shifted a deeper purple. “That hardly ever happens though!”

Mark couldn’t help but blush slightly himself, but he cleared his throat and smiled. “I guess I can take it as a compliment then you have not changed around me since the first time we met. I like this side of you.”

“I can’t really play favorites,” she chuckled a bit. “I’d like to think I don’t change too much, but I don’t know…”

“Well… I think it makes you unique. I always enjoyed challenges and I can see that trying my best to make a relationship work will just be another challenge to overcome. It could be worse I guess… but you must have saw something in me too, so I guess I have to return it in kind.” Mark thought for a few long moments and asked, “What… did make you figure out you had feelings for me?”

“I don’t know, it’s just an instinct thing, which makes me really bad at it,” Tabitha shrugged. “Whatever someone looks for in a mate, good looks, intelligence, interesting background…”

“Well… are you sure about this then? I mean… there are tons of other guys with very much the same qualities and even more than me.” He took a long swig of his now warm coffee and he added, “I wouldn’t want you to realize in the near future you chose wrongly.”

“I’m not worried about that,” she shook her head. “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t want to try to be with you.”

Mark looked down for a moment and noted, “I… guess you have a point.”

As Tabitha finished her cup and set it down, she began to toy with his fingers idly. “So, is there anything else you’d like to talk about?”

Mark tried to think of something to ask and after a few moments he finished his coffee and said, “Will your family… approve of this? You dating a human? Kind of a stupid question considering I don’t know how mine will react yet.” I hope Vindicta doesn’t kick my ass for this.

“I don’t really have much contact with them,” she replied, running her hand through her hair. “I disappointed them, so they’re not excited to hear about Luna or anything, and I feel bad when I talk to them. I don’t think they’d mind. Tamearins generally aren’t too skeptical about humans, provided they have a good look about them and act properly.”

He reached across the table and grabbed her hand in both of his, and looking her in the eyes with his own orange ones. “Well… even if our families don’t approve, shouldn’t matter if we love each other I guess. Even though I would like to spend more time with you on this… date, I think we should call it here. Even though I have the rest of the day off, I feel I should leave you with some free time of your own. Would you like me to walk you back?”

Tabitha nodded and smiled. “I would like that.” She stood up and walked beside him, letting him lead the way.

As they walked, Mark was silent for the most part, just looking forward and when he finally reached Tabitha’s room, he said finally, “I had fun today. It was definitely different than how I expected this day to turn out.”

“It was, I enjoy your company.” Tabitha smiled, and remembered the custom that was supposed to come next. She tried to put on a preparatory face, standing still outside the door.

Mark raised an eyebrow, looking at Tabitha a little confused. “Uh… what’s with the face?”

“Oh, umm…I’ve never been given a human kiss before, so I don’t know what to do on my end…”

Mark’s face brightened up from a bit of embarrassment and he said, “Yes… well… I haven’t really… done this in a while… or at all. I mean I have kissed girls just never… well, like after a date. As I stated before, the girl I was involved with was more interested in getting me in her pants rather than learning my name so… I don’t really imagine it would be different from anyone else.”

“I have no reference point, so I’m not going to judge you,” she gave a nervous chuckle.

“Alright…” Mark reached out and slowly pulled Tabitha close to him, leaning down and just giving her a soft kiss on the lips for a few seconds before breaking it. “...There.”

As she pulled away, Tabitha smiled shyly, completely unsure how to react, but enjoying the gesture. “Thank you.”

Mark nodded his head, really unsure of what to do now. “I-I guess I’m just gonna…” He pointed with his thumb behind him. “...go now so…”

“I hope we go on another date soon,” Tabitha added quickly before ducking through her room’s door.

Mark took in a deep breath as the door closed and exhaled a big sigh, rubbing his face and went to walk away but just ended up leaning against the wall, unsure of what to do now.

As the door closed behind her and she leaned against the wall, she gave a shudder as her hair shifted to black, a giddy and excited grin plastered on her face.

Dahlexpert

Knowing each other a little better the brash Mercenary & the Tamearins

Feb 19 2044
the bar area

Cassia is siting in a stool drinking some of the booze she smuggled onto the ship." Sigh it might just be liquor but it's the closes thing to home". Cassia drinks some of the liquor. Ugh man has a strong kick best save this for later. although I can't wait for my first mission get to fight more aliens of course but I wonder if I can go bounty hunting on the planet and also study the wildlife down there. Cassia says lost in thought.

"They might let you volunteer for the wildlife, but I doubt they'll let you go hunting down bounties." Brigid walked around Cassia and took the seat across from her. "You know they have some drinks here. You didn't have to sneak that on board."

"Hay I've been drinking this for years, I doubt regular alcohol will work on me pulse I thought I would bring stuff back from home and donate to the bar. I personally want to see people drink this, they might be stumbling around for a few hours and probable a little in the morning. Cassia offers the blue drink to Brigid "You want some,not sure what it will do to you though? "

Brigid shook her head. "No thanks. Not that I''m apposed, but I have to stay off of it to keep my tolerance down. Part of my training. Besides, if I want to get instantly smashed..." She took the flask off her belt and held it up. "...I always have this."

"What is that thing?" Cassia asks while ordering a beer.

Brigid smiled. "A special concoction of Absinthe, 179 Proof, Bruichladdich X4 Quadrupled Whiskey, 184 Proof, Everclear Grain, 190 Proof, and Spirytus Polish Vodka, 192 Proof, with a little Ginjo Sake for flavor. This stuff will knock a Balmadaar out for a week. Took me months to come up with the right formula, and several more months to be able to drink it with out being knocked out. Like I said, I need it for my training."

"Training you know there's a drinking competition joke to be made there but I wont take it." Cassia takes a quick swing of her beer "Hay Brigid I want to say i'm sorry to you."

Brigid chuckled. "We just saw each other for the first time in years. What could you have done to have to apologize for?"

"It's the years part, you went through so much training and other stuff. I mean yes I helped you through the trials of my family but you been through so much and I was never there to support you and i'm sorry for that."

Brigid shook her head. "Come on, Cassia. That wasn't your fault." The bartender brought over her usual glass of cranberry juice. "During my ten years of travel, I closed myself off to a lot of people. You didn't know where I was, but I knew where you were. If anything, I owe you an apology for never calling."

"Well it's not like there's much reception in space, plus ive been doing my own training while I was out here. Ben learning alien languages that i'm still learning, some gravity training for other worlds practicing with other more alien weapons piloting a star ship and all other stuff. Heh I guess were more like are parents then we ever thought."

"Hmm..." Brigid lowered her head to the table, obviously effected by that last sentence. She sighed deeply, and slowly shook her head.

Cassia looks at Brigid and sees that the sentence she said effected her."Aw Brigid Morrgians a great person it's a terrible comment. But of it offends you i'm sorry."

Brigid chuckled. "No, it's okay. I just find it so strange. A lot of people fight so hard not to end up like their mother or father. It was actually my mother that fought that. She wanted to get me away from this, so I wouldn't end up like her. But in the end, like you said, I ended up just like her. If anything, her pushing away from it resulted in that very thing happening." She chuckled again. "Funny how that turns out, huh?"

"Heh you know, my family are relay in to religion and we think that the threads of fate lead people to different things. I personally think that fate brought us together so many years ago, and it was fate that brought you here so even though things were stopping you from coming here the threads of fate brought you here."

Brigid nodded. "Well, whatever the reason, we're together now. You know what soldier class you want to be?"

"Yea i'm going to be a support, if fulls so many roles I can be a medic a engineer an assault. I mean it fill so many roles it's perfect for me, for some like me who's good at multiple things."

"Wasn't your ma a support or medic in XCOM?" Brigid asked.

"Yea mom was a medic, heh just like you said like mother like daughter right."

"Yeah. But it suits you. Cassia, the Protector. Cassia, the Guardian. You'll make a fine support."

"Aw stop that's embarrassing." Cassia hear footsteps aprohing "We have company."

Brigid grinned without looking. "She I get ready for another fight?"

No it's not that, we seem to have an essdroper. Korra do you mind coming out

Korra grunted and stepped out from a both. "I wasn't eavesdropping." She folded her arms and huffed. "I just wanted to see the woman O'Brien is so interested in."

"You sound like a jealous wife," Brigid mumbled into her cup.

Cassia smiled " I see you still have the tsundary thing still going for you, hay Brigid why didn't you say you had a thing for aliens." Cassia says jokingly

Brigid rolled her eyes, and Korra took and angry step towards Cassia. "There's that word again. What does it mean? That some racial slur against Tamearins?"

"Tred lightly," Brigid warned Cassia with a whisper.

Cassia smiled" No a tsundary is a person who has a cold demeanor bus is very nice. For is stance it's not like I wanted to help you any way, but they really want to."

Korra laughed loudly. "You think I'm nice, huh?" Korra leaned close to Cassia. "I think I've left you with the wrong impression."

"Ou I figured since Brigid seems to be ok with you, I figured that would make you a good person other wise she beat the he'll out of you."

"You don't know the half of it." Brigid mumbled.

Korra pulled up a chair, sitting close to Cassia. "And are you a nice person."

"Well yes and no, by mercenary standard I'm good I capture and kill criminals but buy human standards I'm a uncivilized savage.

Korra chuckled. "Then... if you're such a bad girl, why is O'Brien okay with you?" Her tone almost sounded playful.

"Me and Brigid know each other for twenty five years since we were five and six, are parents both took us into X COM with them and that's how we met.

Brigid smiled. "Cassia has a ferocity on the job that matches her family, but deep down she's a good person. And like she said, we've known each other for a long time."

"I see. Old bosom buddies." Korra leaned forward a bit. "Tell me... do you think you could kick her ass?" She grinned widely, and Brigid just sighed, not sure if she should be annoyed by Korra's actions, or amused by them.

"No Cassia says bluntly. See I'm trained to kill people and handle any conditions the galaxy throws at me, Brigid is way more trained then me so in a straight fight no I would lose." Cassia says in a defeated voice.

"Well, I don't know about that," Brigid said. "You've trained longer, and know more about weapons and tactics. Now, Korra on the... other..." She gave a worried look, instantly regretting the box she just opened.

"What about me?" Korra looked between Brigid and Cassia. "You think you could kick my ass?"

" Most likely, but it's like what Brigid said. I'm more trained in weapons and tactics that's my area but thank for trying to cheer me up you tsundary."

"I'm not trying to cheer you up!" Korra folded her arms and looked away. "And I think I could take you. As long as you don't have any sneaky gene mods like O'Brien."

Cassia put's her thumbs up "Nailed that tsundary stuff perfectly by the way, but I don't think you can beat me.Like i said i'm good with weapons and the lot, but when it comes to hand to hand combat i'm good with swords and the lot."

"Stop calling me that " Korra slowly turned back to Cassia. "Or I'll show you how wrong you are about your so-called skills, and beat the shit out of you.

Dahlexpert

Part 2

"OK. Cassia headbutted Korra and slammed her head into the bar table, making Korra take a few steps back. Cassia swept Korra's legs and pulled out her gun, pointing it at Korra. "Did I prove my self to you or was that a cop out?"

Korra's eyes darted between Cassia and Brigid, her head spinning. "You... won't... shoot me..."

Brigid shook her head. "Please don't shoot her, Cassia," she said in a bored tone. "She might run her mouth, but she's still my friend. She's a lot like you at that age, actually. So you should understand."

"Yea heh she does remind me of me back then, sigh." Cassia pucks Korra up and dust her off "I won't shoot you Korra, that's not how I work I don't kill for no reason and besides you do kinda remind me of me from a decade ago. I was a brawler back then always looking for a fight so I kinda understand what, your doing in some way but I fight for keeps I fight to kill and that's who I am. What Brigid never mentions is that I enjoy killing and I love my job as a bounty hunter because I get to kill everyone and anyone." Cassia looks at Brigid "Sorry about this and sorry Korra for smashing your head."

"Yeah. Please don't do that again." Korra rubbed her head. Noting the look Brigid was giving her, she said, "And I... I shouldn't have got in your face. I... I'm s... s-s..."

"Saving your money for the movies?" Brigid asked with a grin.

"I'm sorry!" Korra snared at Brigid. "Smartass."

"Ou don't worry about it, like I said i'm a bounty hunter and as a bounty hunter I have a long line of people that want to kick my ass. You getting in my face was daily for me back home, so your not the first nor will you be the last all is forgiven."

Brigid nodded. "Don't take it too hard, Korra. I beat you when we first fought, but when we went at it again, you had improved. Just stick with the training Cayden and I are giving you."

"Yeah, yeah." Korra rubbed her head again. "Damn it. Your head is harder then Chitlin plating."

Aw poor thing I know how to make it that bruse all better." Cassia walks up to Korra and kisses the part of her head that Cassia slammed in to the table "There is that better?"

Korra's eye twitched. "Hey, now. I apologized. No need to... pat... petri..."

"Patronize?" Brigid offered.

"Yes, that. No need to patronize me like a child."

"Heh heh I don't mean to patronize you, if I did you would know. But I did that because Well since I heard that doing that is looked down apron by the commander who sounds like a peace of shit so I did that to one piss her off if she's watching, and second your kinda cute."

Korra shook her head. "Don't try to purposely piss off..." She paused for a moment, and rubbed her temples. "Wait... what did you call me?"

"I said your kind of cute, I tend to not lie it's kinda a family creed to never lie unless you really need to so yea I think your kinda cute." Cassia looks at Brigid and hugs her "Though your not as cute as my Brigid but your a great second."

Brigid giggled. "You're not too bad yourself."

Korra raised an eyebrow. "I thought you were supposed to kiss people and tell them they're cute when you want them to sleep with you." She scoffed. "Humans are so random. And weird."

Cassia shakes her head. Well I can say anyone is cute thought kissing depending where you kiss them can mean you want to sleep with them. Though you have to seduce them buy them dinner and a bunch of other things, any way yo have a lot to learn about humans Korra I can teach them to you."

Korra blinked several times, and looked a bit upset. "I... that... that's okay. I... I'm learning just fine." She turned away. "I... I-I have to go."

Cassia looked to Brigid "I think I scared her, what do you think did I come in to strong?"

Brigid shook her head. "Maybe a tad, but that isn't it. She's usually open to be taught things. And she asks about our cultures, so she's interested. But when someone offers to actually teach her about human cultures, she gets really nervous. Like... she had a bad experience."

"Hum I see she's very interesting, remind me to tone down my attitude when i'm around her. I think me slamming her head was a little to far, I guess I still have to work o my social skills huh."

"I'll say," Brigid agreed. "And don't try and antagonize the Commander. She isn't like my mother. She's good at her job, be she's serious."

"Sigh fine i'll try not to antagonize the commander, anyway I got some things to do i'll catch up with you later Brigid."

Brigid nodded. "Alright. Check out the holo-rooms when you get a chance. Their the top models."

"Ou this ship has a holo-room, well I know were i'm going to seen most of my time from here on out besides the bar of course. Later Brigid." Cassia wave to Brigid and leaves the bar

Brigid chuckled to herself, and sat back, finishing her drink.

Adrammalech

| STRANGE HUMAN MATING RITUALS
| Willow “Tessa” Ryan / Tabitha Le’talla
| Soldier Housing Wings
| Progressus Spaceport
| February 16th, 2044 – 11:30 PM

Tabitha sat quietly, reading a Tamear translation of a human romance book that was particularly curious to her. As Tabitha turned to page 243, Tess walked in, a small swagger in her step, having spent most of the night at the bar with some of the White Wolves.

“Hey Tabby,” she said loudly. “Nice dye job.”

“Oh…did I not tell you? This happens sometimes, it goes black and white…”

“So you have four different natural hair colors?” Tess snickered. “It must be hard for you to get a driver’s license…”

“It’s only once every two months,” she said defensively, bringing her hair into her hands. “It’s a psionics thing…”

“I think you look pretty hot with black hair. Got the whole goth alien thing going on.”

“Is that even a thing?” Tabitha asked.

“Not really, I’m just saying you look nice. You should go to the bar and kill some guys.”

“Kill? Why would I kill…”

“It means make them fall for you. You know, like ‘ladykiller,’ just different with you as the lady.”

“Why would you make attraction sound like murder, that makes no sense.”

“Did they not tell you when you entered Sol? That’s humanity for you.”

Tess took out her handbook from her duffel and jumped into bed, looking through the pages and stopping on a map of the Einherjar. She traced her fingers through its hallways, mentally working on something.

“What are you doing?” Tabitha asked.

“Nothing, just thinking. What are you doing?”

Tabitha took two pages and bent their corners, closing the book and putting it on the ground.

“You’ve had…a lot of sexual partners, right?” she asked.

“Um, rude. I’ve had a few. Nothing unhealthy for a 20-something from the cities,” Tess said.

“But like, more than one or two, right?”

“…Yes, a lot more than two.”

“So you know how to attract someone, right?”

“Yes. Get to the point?”

“I-I like someone on the ship,” Tabitha said, giving a flustered sigh. “I want to know what will keep a human attracted to me.”

“You’re going to date a human, hm? Well, tell me about them first.”

“Oh, well…we both live on the ship, and we met on here a little after take-off. They get me out of the room and they make me smile, and I trust them, quite a lot. We had our first…romantic gesture in public recently.”

“Oh really?” Tess smirked.

She got out of her own bed and sat on Tabitha’s indian style, gesturing for her to do the same. Tess had a strange, amused look on her face, only further increasing her own wide-eyed confusion.

“I just want to know what to do, like on my end. I know men are supposed to take charge in human relationships from reading, but I want to know what I should do to make them want to take charge, if that makes sense,” Tabitha said.

“That’s not always true, I take charge all the time. Listen, I’m sure whoever ‘they’ are, the attraction’s mutual,” Tess winked, “but I can show you a few things.”

“Okay, what do I do?”

“First step is to kiss them, of course,” she said, gesturing towards herself. “So, come on.”

“What?”

“Kiss me. Don’t worry, I won’t bite.”

Tabitha leaned forward and meekly put a peck on her lips. Tess gave an unimpressed look and put her hand behind Tabitha’s hair, pulling her in for a french kiss. The Tamearin gained a panicked look as the odd texture of Tess’ tongue pushed into her mouth, this kiss feeling far stranger than the other. Still, it was warm and primal feeling, and she was adjusting positively as Tess pulled away.

“You’ll get better with practice,” Tess said as she pulled away.

“That didn’t feel like–”

“The next is touching.” Tess put her hands on Tabitha’s sides, slowly working down. “Touching is very important with humans. You find their sensitive spots and get them into the mood all at once.”

Tess yanked Tabitha’s shirt out of her waistband, hooking her hands underneath it as she began to work up instead. Tabitha found the sensation of soft human hands running on her skin to be nice, even more than Tamearin touching. She briefly wondered if that made her a pervert before realizing Tess was giving her an expectant look. She reached over and tried to emulate the Tess’ movements, bringing a smile to the human’s face.

“There we go. And now, once she’s in the mood, you begin to undress her...”

Tess unbuttoned the first fastener on the Tamearin’s fatigues before a hand slapped her away.

“Wait, what do you mean, ‘her?’” Tabitha said.

“It’s alright, I don’t mind,” Tess gave her a devious smile. “I can keep a secret if you can.”

“What? No! I like a man, a scientist!”

“What? You weren’t…being coy? Oh god...”

Tess got up and shook her arms, putting her hands over her face for a minute. Tabitha simply sat standing forwards, practically glowing as her purple skin blushed so brightly it nearly reached a human red.

Tabitha began to mumble to herself rapidly. “I mean, we’re aliens, and girls, and coworkers, I’m pretty sure even you should have qualms about that many broken rules. It doesn’t even make sense, what would be the point? And weren’t you just being dramatic about your ex? Oh shit, does this mean I’m a cheater now? Can I even cheat yet? What is cheating?”

“It’s just a misunderstanding, not cheating, good god,” Tess shook her head, taking a knee beside her duffel.

“Yeah, yeah, I just wanted advice…not that…”

“Look, just be yourself,” Tess said, a hint of spite in her voice, “you clearly have the lost-girl-in-the-woods routine down, and the more you seem like an innocent clueless alien girl, the more a guy will like you. It’s just how it works.”

“I can look innocent,” Tabitha puffed out her chest. “But what will he think when I tell him…”

She glared over. “You’re not going to tell him, or anyone. Just forget that ever happened.”

Tess pulled out a slim pink object from her duffel and quickly tucked it away, storming through the door.

“Where are you going?” Tabitha asked.

“The bathroom,” she sighed irritably.

As the door shut, Tabitha leaned against the back of her bed, her skin still a bright purple from her humiliation. She pulled the braid from her hair and let the long strands cover her face as she gingerly stroked it with her fingertips, mumbling in frustration at herself.

“Why are all these humans all over me? Pheromones, maybe? Stupid sahc-diy-deuh…always makes trouble…”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
“My Cousin Vinny” (MarineAvenger and DarkGemini42601)
Orbit around Progressus (February 17th)
The Einherjar (3:54 P.M., Earth Standard)

Vindicta glanced around at the simulation that had been set up for her. There were five simple combat droids, skeletons of what the actual ones fielded in battle were. But they would suffice. “Begin exercise… now.” With a start, the barebones Legion frames activated, a creepy red flare going across their visors. They rushed forward at Vindicta, but paused when she vanished in a burst of light. Reappearing behind one of them, electricity crackled around her right hand, and she opened her palm, sending lightning jolting through the first victim of her power.

The others turned with simulated rifles raised, but Vindicta was prepared for this. A telekinetic field flared to life in front of her, parrying the first round of shots. “Let’s make this easier… and I need to test endurance anyway.” With a grin, Vindicta called forth… “Black Bishop!” The guardian quickly formed at her side, and took over with the defense, while the Exalt went on the offense. Psi-inspiring herself, Vindicta shot off two more bolts of electricity, and two more droids were overloaded. The remaining two pulled out grenades, however.

Her eyes widening, Vindicta commanded her Reflection to stand in front of her, taking the blow. The armored defender seemed to fritz out like a damaged hologram, parts of her form broken by force fields to simulate explosive damage. Vindicata grimaced from the feedback the damage had on her, but carried on, pulling out a knife and imbuing it. She tossed the weapon into the head of the second to last opponent, and for the last one… “Finish him, Black Bishop.”

With a vengeful grin, the Reflection charged forward, raining down a hail of punches on the Android, crumpling in the weaker armor at its joints and sending it stumbling onto the ground.

There was a whistle from behind, a somewhat familiar voice saying, “If I knew you were this badass, I would have never teased you when we were younger.” Ezra stood with his arms crossed and a confident grin on his face, a tech quickly running up behind Ezra.

“Uh...sorry ma’am...he just sort of barged in without so much as a notice. We tried to stop him but…”

“But...lab techs shouldn’t be doing a security guard’s job. Seriously...it was hardly a thrilling challenge.” The android stated out loud.

“As overconfident as ever,” Vindicta observed. “Had my assistant not said anything after you entry, Black Bishop might have recognized you as an enemy.”

“Ah...I could take her.” Ezra pushed the tech aside as he stepped in front of him and he walked up to Vindicta. “Nice to see you as always ‘cos.”

“I had heard you were signing on as a soldier…” Vindicta stated, though she shrugged dismissively. “Not that it is much of a risk as long as you have an uplink to the Einherjar. You’re as indomitable as your mother when it comes to survivability.”

“Yeah but still...she would have me turned into a calculator if I had this body damaged too much. Though you have a fair point. I have already hacked into the ship’s systems once...I could always find a nice little alcove to hide in. Don’t know how, but other than a few people, not even the Commander knows I am an android. Out of stupidity or just not caring...harder to answer. Anyways, you seem to be doing well for yourself, Vinny.”

The lab tech snickered in the background.

“Well, they will if you’re being so brazen about it,” Vindicta replied irritably. “And things have been doing well, though I’ve yet to speak with some of the psions aboard the ship. Between O’Brien, Walker, and that… psionic android, I’ve got a lot to look into.”

“Well, as for me...lots and lots of training, sleeping, and all around any chaos my evil little artificial heart can think up.” A look of satisfaction spread on his face as he mumbled, “Still need to check the records on that computer tech…”

“What computer tech, exactly?”

“Was doing a favor that required a bit of my expertise in the cyberworld, a tech tried to stop me while I was inside the system and I booted his computer with a bunch of porn. Was funny...quite enjoyed my handiwork.”

“Congratulations, you probably got someone fired,” Vindicta said dryly. “I swear, you could put yourself to more useful work than what you waste your intellect doing.”

“Alright mother.” Ezra rolled his eyes and said to Vindicta, “And what would you have me do? Some boring ass job as an IT guy? Hello, welcome to tech support, have you tried turning it on and off?”

“You could probably part time as a scientist or engineer in a manner more effective than that Ardenian buffon,” Vindicta suggested.

“Do I look like an intellectual to you?” He asked seriously.

“I presume you’re likely smarter than most of the people on this ship,” Vindcita stated. “And who knows, maybe I could put that mental capacity to use if I find out there’s a way to give you psionics like Arcwright.”

Ezra raised an eyebrow, genuinely surprised. “He has psionics? Damn… I must say I am jealous.”

“Psi lance and some ability called “Thermokinesis”, though you ought to know this if you’ve watched the mission feeds. I wouldn’t put that sort of negligence beside you, however,” the clone analyzed, looking over something on her holographic clipboard briefly. “Honestly, the ability to control heat energy… that sort of power is even more potent that electrokinesis,” Vindicta mumbled, a hint of actual jealousy in her words.

“Hey, I don’t need to watch the mission feeds, I already know how to shoot a gun, and just have to do what Simon says so there is nothing to it. Besides… I can’t die.” Ezra poked Vindicta’s arms. “Unlike you meat bag.”

“A little signal jamming, cutting you off from any nearby network, combined with my powers, could do just that,” Vindicta responded too-calmly, crossing her arms. “I believe the word to describe your fate would be something like ‘crunch’ when faced with my Black Bishop.”

“Fair enough, but after my mother learns you broke me, I think your end would be more of a ‘pop’.” Ezra got a mischievous grin on his face.

“You realize you’re vulnerable to electrokinesis, right?” Vindicta scoffed with a bit of lightning dancing around her fingertips.

“And you realize I could snap you in half with one hand behind my back?” Ezra put his hand behind him and gave a toothy smirk.

“Please, refrain from killing each other. Being down a rocketeer or our head of psionics division would be very bad.” Mark stated as he walked into the lab. “I am surprised sister. I didn’t think you would be able to let someone gain your ire so easily.”

Vindicta straightened her labcoat, trying to regain her composure at the sight of her brother. “You know how our cousin is. He inherited some troublesome line of coding that Avanix should have blacklisted when she did the data exchange.”

“Love you too…” Ezra muttered.

“Yes, well… not all of our family can be cool like you. Need I remind you of the person you molded Black Bishop after?” Mark said.

“For good reason. I’d like to think I take after her prowess, in addition to our mother’s intellect. I have the best of our family’s traits, whereas you two can be lacking at times.”

Ezra chuckled while Mark just plainly looked at his sister without a word. You also seem to take the worst traits as well, sister.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Starting Over”

Somewhere in Subspace (February 18th, 2044)
The Einherjar (10:22 A.M., Earth Standard)
Access Hallway

Kallpa walked down the hallway, having an orange in hand he had managed to swipe from the mess hall. He frowned as he looked at it, seeming more and more disappointed with the fruit. “This was cryofrozen, wasn’t it… wonder how badly that affects the taste. Never thought I’d miss the taste of local South American crops until I can’t get them from the source or Mediotierra’s equivalent…”

In the opposite direction Kallpa was walking, Cayden was wearing his normal clothes, skipping out on his regularly maintained workout schedule to just loosen up for once. When he noticed the other man, he stopped walking and put his hands in his pockets. “Hey.”

The gunner looked up from the orange sphere. “How’s it going, Walker?”

“Been pretty average for the most part. What about you?”

Kallpa seemed to consider the returned question for a moment, and chuckled. “...interesting, to say the least. Between Operation Black Star and ...people...”

“What sort of people? I would have picked you out to be one of the more popular ones on the ship.” He said with a tone that made it hard to discern whether he was genuine or not.

“Well, Kelio’s antics have been rather nonexistent lately. I think he’s working on something in regards to his suit now that he’s a Shogun.” Kallpa scratched his head. “I’ve been learning more about someone I met awhile ago… I think she’s a roommate of yours, actually, if I remember the assignments correctly.”

“Which? Korra, Brigid or Sasha?” Man… Mikhail was right, we need another guy in our room.

“The first one,” The Incan responded with a smile. “She’s a handful, but I do enjoy her company.”

“Pretty much her in a nutshell.” Cayden stood looking at Kallpa for a moment, saying to him, “Look, that first time in the gym, things ended a bit awkwardly between us, so why don’t we start over with a couple of beers?”

“I could drink to that,” Kallpa decided, seeming mildly amused by his own joke.

Cayden nodded and he turned to walk with Meso-American man towards the bar, Cayden not saying much to get caught in a small talk trap.

Kallpa seemed to respect this, at least initially, arriving at the bar and getting himself a Guiness. Having some of it, he broke the silence by saying, “If you do want to get off to a better start you probably shouldn’t be stoic the whole time.”

Cayden just took a small sip of his own Bud Light and put his elbows on the counter. “Well… aside from what little I already know about you… you never told me if you had any family or not back home.”

The gunner chuckled. “Oh, I have plenty of that. Father and mother are well, and I have an older brother and two younger sisters. The former insists on me doing well, and the latter two are nice but a pain in the ass sometimes. Especially when it comes to my relationships.”

“Especially?” He asked with a grin, Cayden shaking his head. “My sister is the same in a sort of way, though she tends to tease me more about my relationships that are nonexistent but she affirms there is.”

“Well, trust me, you’re probably better off without knowing for sure,” Kallpa insisted, taking another swig. “Most of mine tend to implode because they’re not the right match, or they can’t deal with me leaving for awhile and slam a door in my face, to sum up my last relationship.”

“My last relationship was about five, almost six years ago. It lasted for about three years before I learned she screwed almost every jock in the school. Well, I said screw her and dumped her on the spot. I earned some flak for dropping the most popular girl in school but I dealt. Still it was hard walking away from a three year commitment.”

Kallpa rubbed the back of his neck. “Must be an urban thing. Girls in Cuzco or Mediotierra aren’t usually… like that. Or, at least, I’d hope they aren’t.”

“I hope they aren’t. People are sort of stuck up like that where I grew up. Luckily for me, I had some people to help me through it.”

“I just have Yulanda and Lesli to blame me whenever a relationship goes sour. I’m probably not even going to mention anything that happens for me romantically on this ship to them for that reason, no matter how much they pry,” Kallpa said with a bemused expression.

“A little full of yourself to already say you will be?” Cayden japed.

“With my charm? Of course,” Kallpa said with a smirk. “You just have to walk up to any regular girl and say, “Hey, I’m Cayden Walker from a family of psionic badasses and war heroes. Wanna go out?” and bam, you’ve got yourself a girlfriend. Just have to dodge the Great Commandy One’s wrath.”

Cayden shook his head and gave a sidelong glance to the man beside him. “Seriously though… my family isn’t as cool as you make them out to be. To be fair, I am the only one who has psionics and no one else really has any interest in the military. Unless you count the Exalts but well… not going to try and untangle that mess.”

Kallpa shrugged. “Well, you have some degree of influence at least. Especially with those movies dramatizing everything.”

“Those movies were bull. Hear the stories directly from the source, they are much better… and less cliched or stupid. Hate Hollywood but at least there are a few gems here and there.”

“Well, I’ve seen video feeds, but I’m sure it’s a different experience having someone actually tell you what it was like for them,” Kallpa agreed.

Cayden nodded, taking another sip of beer and saying, “You know, you are not as bad a guy the second time. A little different but it makes you stand out I guess.”

Kallpa ran a finger along the rim of his glass. “Different’s a very broad term, you know.”

Cayden rolled his eyes and added, “The good different, you ass.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Subtle Changes

Soldier Barracks
Feb. 19th, 1245 Hours

Brigid held the door to her room open, Alice stepping in with a grateful nod. "It is good to catch up, Brigid. It is odd to think that, when we first met, you were a mere child."

"Didn't stop me from telekineticly throwing you, did it?" Brigid thought for a moment. "I've apologized for that, right?"

Alice giggled. "Many times, Brigid. And I am glad to see you've improved your fighting abilities since last we met."

"You're not so shabby yourself. And you're one of the few people on the ship I can go all out with." Brigid wiped some sweat from her brow. "You mind waiting for me to take a quick shower?"

Alice slipped off her shoes. "Only if you don't mind me joining you. My artificial sweat might not smell, but it still leaves me feeling... sticky."

"Just as long as you don't rust on me," Brigid responded with a smile. Slipping her shirt off, she opened the door to the showers and stopped dead in her tracks. After a few moments, she burst into laughter, dropping to her knees and holding her sides.

Alice quickly walked up behind her to see what was so funny. On a small bath chair was a Tamearin woman with bright yellow hair, what looked like a bottle of red dye in one hand, and a pissed off look on her face. "I swear, O'Brien, I will fucking murder you!"

Brigid slowly climbed to her feet, wiping away a tear. "Wow. Cayden was right! You do look good in blond!"

Korra simply grumbled as Alice stepped inside, quickly assessing the situation based on the blond hair, the dye, what she knew about Tamearins, and the fact that she remembered this woman having red hair. "Would you like our assistance?" She asked, the rest of her clothes seeming to fade away.

Too angry to ask questions, Korra shrugged. "Might as well. Least you can do after O'Brien spoiled my secret to another person."

"Well, if you locked the door..." Brigid knelt behind Korra, taking the dye from her and grabbing some clear gloves. "This strong stuff?"

Korra nodded. "Yeah... but it doesn't help when my trapped powers burn my hair black. I just wish I picked up more on Progressus."

Alice grabbed some gloves herself and started messaging the dye into Korra's hair. "Well, I think red suits you, so I'm happy to help."

"You two already met?" Brigid asked.

"When I brought that ki... engineer to the infirmary." Korra answered rather curtly.

Alice frowned. "This is obviously a secret for you. What if... I shared one of mine? So if I tell anyone about your hair, you can tell them that... I'm an android."

Korra's looked back at Alice in surprise, her eyes looking her up and down. She laughed. "No you're not." Alice sighed, and closed her eyes. A few moments later, a compartment on her arm opened up, revealing the power cell for her arm cannon. "Well, I'll be damned," Korra muttered. She grinned. "Guess people treat you bad cause of it." She shrugged. "I know something about that. Your secret is safe with me."

Alice bowed her head. "That is very understanding of you."

Korra shrugged again. "I must say, though. You are well built." Her grin remained as she turned away again. "In more ways then one."

Alice blushed a bit. "Um... thank you."

Brigid rolled her eyes. "Just because she's an android doesn't mean you're allowed to embarrass her." Brigid thought for a moment, then shook her head. "What am I saying? You'd have said that to anyone."

Korra glanced at O'Brien. "Speaking of embarrassing, it's your turn to tell a dirty little secret."

Brigid stammered. "I, um... I don't... I already told you about... my family, and..."

Korra waved a dismissive hand. "That's old news now that you guys made up. I need something more juicy."

Brigid folded her arms, then immediately regretted it, washing the dye she had just put on her sides before it could stain her skin. "I... I-I don't have any secrets, dirty or otherwise."

Alice smiled. "Oh? Are you sure about that?"

Brigid gave her a disbelieving look. "You're bluffing. You have nothing on me."

Alice shook her head. "I see." She continued to work on Korra's hair in silence for several seconds before casually asking, "So Brigid... you still have a thing for Desmond?"

Brigid's eyes widened, and she stammered again, unable to speak. "Who's Desmond?" Korra asked with a mischievous smile, which only widened. "Is that the 'Mr. Desmond' you talked about before? As in... Desmond Walker, Cayden's father?"

Brigid shook her head, and Alice simply said, "That would be him. As I recall, Brigid had a little thing for him."

"Yes, had!" Brigid insisted, looking away to hide her blushing cheeks, even though her entire body seemed to turn red. "The keyword is had. I had a... a little crush on him..."

"No way!" Korra laughed heartily. "You had the hots for one of your best friend's father? Really?" She turned around, both so Alice could work on the front of her hair and so she could see Brigid's face. "Come on, out with it! I told you about my hair and my grandmother, right?"

Brigid sighed, and hesitantly said, "There... there isn't as much to say as you seem to think. When I was a kid... in the XCOM base, Mr... Desmond was one of the people that watched me when my mother was busy. I... after I lost my father, he almost... took his place, and I became kinda... infatuated with him. He was my father. Or the closest thing to it. Then my mother remarried, and I got an actual new father. And that's what he is in my eyes; my father."

"And Desmond Walker?" Korra asked, seeming to be genuinely curious.

Brigid shrugged. "I... I never really anticipated it. Years back, during my training, I stayed with his family for a while. I figured Desmond and I would be friends. But... but as I trained with him, I no longer saw him as a father figure, but..."

"But the infatuation was still there." Alice finished for her. "And now you were an adult woman."

Brigid nodded. "An adult woman looking at a man whom I had respected for a long time, and... not to sound superficial, but who did not show his age. I... I-I was attracted to him. It was awkward, to say the least. Especially with him being married with three children."

"You said you 'had' a thing for him, right?" Korra placed her chin against her palm. "What changed?"

Brigid thought for a moment, then shrugged. "I... I don't know, to be honest. I remember... I was out on a weekend camping trip, just me and his kids. I remember staying up late with Cayden. A... a long discussion about various things. I think Cayden was... just about eighteen then. I was about twenty-five. I remember thinking... how much he reminded me of Desmond... but he was always easier to talk to then his father. We smiled, we joked."

Brigid closed her eyes. "But there... there was something wrong with him. I pushed... maybe a little harder then I should have, but he never minded. He... he finally told me... he had a bad break up. And he was hurt by it. He was always so strong, it was strange to see him... vulnerable. I'd had my fair share of bad ones myself, so I talked to him about it. Explained why he was too good to let it keep him down. All the reasons he was a great boy... a great man now. And... and it seemed to help. I don't know how much, but he... he genuinely thanked me. I... I even offered to give him a kiss, one that would get rid of her being his last kiss. I was... surprised when he said yes." She shook her head. "And that was it. After that, I no longer looked at Desmond that way. He was my teacher, my mentor, and a good friend, but that was it. I'm still not sure what changed it."

Finished with Korra's now fiery red hair, Alice started scrubbing her own. "Well... I'm no expert in this field, obviously. But maybe Cayden's the reason why."

Brigid lathered her own hair. "Well, I'm sure he was. That much is obvious. I just don't understand why."

Alice shook her head. "No, I mean... I mean Cayden was the reason because of Cayden himself."

Brigid gave her a blank look. "I don't follow."

Alice looked to Korra for support, but the Tamearin seemed just as clueless. Alice chuckled. "I... I mean... what do think about Cayden?"

Brigid thought for a few moments. "Well... I don't know. He's smart. A skilled fighter and soldier. He has his father's looks. His mother's wit. And he's always been..." She raised an eyebrow. "Now, wait a minute. I don't think..."

Korra grinned, catching on. "Besides me, you do spend the most time with him."

Alice nodded. "There is an age difference, but no more then Sasha and Mikhail's parents."

Brigid scoffed, and rinsed out her hair, quickly grabbing a towel. "You... t-two don't know what you're talking about. Cayden... C-Cayden's like a brother to me. And I haven't seen him in years. I-I... I don't..."

"You're stammering, O'Brien," Korra said, and Brigid chucked the towel into her face.

Her cheeks slightly red, Brigid blurted out, "Y-you two are idiots! You have no idea what you're talking about!" She wrapped another towel around herself and headed out, yelling back, "Hurry and finish or I'm leaving you behind!"

Alice exchanged an amused look and grabbed some fresh towels of their own.

Last edited:

Dahlexpert

your friendly nabor hood mercenary

Gym
February 19 2044

Cassia is sitting in a chair polishing her power gauntlet that she got from a her friend. “Heh I caint wait to use this thing, hell since my last one broke I was forced to get this new one. Ou well the mk 5 seems to be a good model from what I heard.” Cassia puts her galuent on her right wrist “ Hum seems good, the arc thrower in to seems to work but that was a one time thing I have to keep testing this thing to get a good effect of it.”

Connor walked into the gym with his duffle over his shoulder, going over to the punching bags and setting down his bag, looking over at the workout item and sitting down on a bench, beginning to wrap his hands in tape like he always did.

Cassia looks over her gauntlet one last time to see if there’s any dirt in it. Cassia scouter starts to beep. “Wait a bounty target on this ship, that can’t be right.” Casia puts on her scouter and scans the room, wait Connor Karo age 33, hum it says he killed his wife Ok how much is on this guy? 300 dollors hum that can’t be right “ Cassia walks across the room and goes to Connor “Hay are you connor?”

“Yeah, I am.” Connor said, getting done with one hand and going to his other.

“Well let me get to the point, i’m a bounty hunter and it says here you have a 300 dollar bounty on you for killing your wife. Now i’m feeling generous today so I will let you explain this.”

Connor was silent for a few moments, looking Cassia up and down. “I am in a good mood today so I will let this joke pass but I suggest being more careful about what you say to people you hardly know.” He told her, standing up now that both of his hands were wrapped up, going to the bag.

“Now I have a practice dummy.” Cassia points her gauntlet at Connor and charges the arc thrower “I’ll ask again why is there a bounty on some UFC fighter it makes no sense. Now you can either tell me or I zap you and turn you in.”

Connor clenched his jaw in anger and he turned around, looking at Cassia to make it clear he wasn’t messing around. “What the fuck are you talking about? Who the hell do you think you are?”

“As I said i’m a bounty hunter, now i’ll ask again why is there a bounty on a UFC fighter. Well you killed your wife so someone will put a bounty on you for that but 300 dollars that makes no sense, i’m trying to get your side of this because if someone killed my family member I would put more on the killer's head i’m just trying to get some answers.”

“Listen, I don’t know what in the fucking hell you are talking about, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I was acquitted of my charges and that was the end of that, now go away. I don’t want to talk about it any longer.” He told her, his voice in a low rumble and he was breathing heavily, trying to contain his anger.

“Sigh wait a minute. Cassia lowers her gauntlet. “We got off the wrong foot here, see my name is Cassia and like I said i’m a bounty hunter my job is to capture or kill people and bring them in,and you doing what you did and after what you said it makes no sense someone will put a bounty on you.”

“Look… I don’t know who the hell would put… a-a bounty on me! Doesn’t it say who issued it wherever you got the thing?” He asked.

“Yea it does, just give me a minute. Cassia presses the scouter and goes through the targets names “Huh well apparently the people that posted the bounty put themselves under anonymous. Well that’s not the first time someone has done this, so who ever placed the bounty doesn't want to be known. Sorry for you mate.”

“Shit…” Connor sighed, and he just went back over to the bench to sit back down. “I have a daughter I am trying to get back from parents who think i killed their daughter, trying to look good in the eyes of a public who think I am guilty, and now I have someone trying to get me killed…”

“Wow your life is fucked buddy, the public hates you. The court system will rob you legally along with lawyers. You're looking at life in prison with no chance of bail and you may never see your kid again, sorry to break it to you that way but it is what it is.”

Connor stood up and he looked at Cassia, visibly on the edge of decking her. “What the fuck do you know!” He growled, “I already appeared before a court, and was released because I was found innocent. I lost my kid because…” Connor’s breathing grew more rapid and he said, “I did drugs. I went to rehab, and trying to get her back. Why don’t you do a little research before you try something like this you stupid bitch.”

“You know it’s probably not a good idea to insult somebody that can send 12 to 34 million volts through your body in the span of 5 seconds. Look, the bounty on you is so low you have nothing to worry about, but since you have a daughter and a family. Some advise, the court system doesn't care for you or your family. They don’t care if you're innocent. They will put you in jail for not paying your lawyer or what ever other crap they will try to do. But let’s say I help you.”

“They can’t just put me in jail unless new evidence comes up and I am not on parole. The court can’t do shit to me right now, and when I am done here… I will get my daughter back.” He told her deathly serious. “And how could you possibly help me in any way?”

“I've collected a nice little sum over the years, and my family won’t mind if I dip into the family funding a little. Just as long as I can pay it back which for me is collecting more bounties and in this galaxy that’s easy to do. So let’s say after we’re done with the colony, I help you with the financial part of you getting your daughter back, unless you can somehow pay the ridiculous bills from your lawyer and gods what else.”

“I… I have my ways. Besides… what’s in it for you?” He asked cautiously.

“I get to hunt down more criminals, and fight more. I don’t care for money I live to fight and capture criminals that’s all I get out of this.”

He looked her up and down, swallowing lightly and taking a deep breath. “No gimmicks… no fine print?”

“Nope. No nothing, no bullshit, no fine print within the fine print. No 45 page legal document bull just tell me how much you owe and I will pay it. Well... there is one catch.”

“What?” He asked, clenching his fist. I knew there was something.

“I just want to see your kid, a picture or something. I just want to see the person that has a father fighting so hard to fight for her.”

Connor looked confused for a moment, blinking once before shaking his head and reaching into the pocket of his hoodie, taking out the picture of him, his daughter, and his fiancee from three years ago, turning it around and showing Cassia.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
(Dahl missed the ending so here it is.) ._.

“Aw, she’s adorable. She’s going to be a heartbreaker when she grows up, well I can see why your fighting so hard. Now as I said I can help you financially. I can give you a house, food, whatever you need.”

“I… have an apartment. It isn’t the most luxurious place but it is no pig pen. I have a job but once I get Tracy back… I will just have to try and get a better one.” Shaking his head, Connor said, “I will just keep this deal on the side for now. Once this is all over and we get back to Earth, we will see what is needed.”

“Great, by the way I knew you were innocent, I never believed what the news said about you. Now after meeting you that just confirmed that you never killed your wife, also i’m sorry for being blunt with you it’s kinda my thing i’m used to criminals and the worst the galaxy has to offer.” Cassia extends her hand. “And my name is Cassia once again.”

He took it and shook it, still looking at her a little cautiously. “You were playing me that whole time? I nearly beat the shit out of you.”

“Mate, I deal with aliens that can eat you as an appetizer. Literally, you're not that scary, besides I had to get a feel for you the kind of person you are. And you seem to keep your anger in check so that’s always good.”

“Well… you got lucky this time.” Connor said, looking at the punching bag and finding he didn’t have the motivation anymore to workout. “Anyways, I am going to go now. I need to go talk to someone important. If I need something, I will try and find you.” Connor grabbed his duffel and proceeded to leave without another word.

Great, see you later. Cassia thinks to herself Hum still need work on my social skills, sigh I hate mingling with people it’s so hard, and people are so damn sensitive.