RP XSDF Roleplay Thread: Vanguard of Forseti

Adrammalech

| SHORE LEAVE
| Willow “Tessa” Ryan / Tabitha Le’talla
| New Manaus Spaceport
| New Manaus, Progressus
| February 15th, 2044 – 3:30 PM

Tess led Tabitha off the shuttles and into the spaceport, reveling in being back in what she would prefer to consider her homeworld. Tabitha looked unimpressed, the technology here looking the same as what Luna was shipped with, and many of the machines looking more run-down or self-repaired than the immaculately maintained colony on the moon.

“Here we are, home sweet home,” Tess twirled around, her arms outstretched. “Take a deep breath of that warm Progressus air.”

Tabitha gave a tentative yet deliberate inhale, quirking her eyebrow. “Seems the same as Luna.”

“False,” she raised her finger, “it’s easier to breathe here, because Luna is stuffy.”

“The air actually feels heavier here, to be honest.”

“Well, that’s the jungle…but still, this is the freest space in the galaxy!”

A crash of plastic cracking against the ground drew both of their heads, an ashamed and malnourished-looking feline humanoid beside a broken crate looking up at a more regal lion-like alien. The lion – a Shinso – set down a cylinder reminiscent of a travel mug and towered over the weaker alien, shouting at the top of his lungs.

“Watch your step, rodent! These crates are worth more than your miserable life!”

He raised a clawed hand as a threat and the weaker alien dropped to her knees, quickly trying to repair the damage with her bare hands and get the crate into the shuttle beside them. Tess looked over at Tabitha, her fists clenched and her hair color shifting in hue.

“Not free for everyone, it seems,” Tabitha said through her teeth.

“Hey, calm down,” Tess replied.

A few objects around Tabitha began to float, including an unattended crate of herbs and a box cutter, rotating in the air. The display almost began to draw as much attention as the boisterous slaver. Tess grabbed her arm and forcefully pulled her away.

“It’s just the way things are,” Tess continued, “you can’t do anything about it. Come on, snap out of it.” Seeing Tabitha still staring daggers at the nonplussed Shinso, she tried to draw her attention away from the spaceport. “They’ve got a churro stand nearby, let’s get some.”

Tabitha raised a bright red eyebrow towards Tess. “A ‘churro?’”

“You’ll see. Tamearins eat human food, right?”

“Mostly…would be hard to work at a bar if I was allergic or something…”

“Come on, let’s get you one.”

Right on the border connecting the spaceport to the rest of the city stood a small vendor stand, the first of many advertising everything from “exotic human food” to handcrafted tchotchkes made of “galaxy-famous Earth wood.” Tess bought two overpriced churros and handed Tabitha one before scarfing down her own. The Tamearin looked at her own with trepidation, taking a bite. Though surprised by the taste, she was disappointed by the simplicity, and fearful for the health aspect of it.

“You alright?” Tess asked.

“Fine…thank you.”

“I know it sucks, but it’s something you have to deal with. It’s like state ordinances, and federal laws and Council edicts, trying to get them all to fit is just insanity.”

“Those words don’t mean anything to me…”

Tess sighed. “Laws are stupid.”

“I see.”

“Come on, let’s get to New Manaus and start partying.”

A small taxi ride brought the pair to the shopping district, a more maintained area of the city that looked markedly suburban in nature excepting the recently shot-up area they drove past. All along the walls were various low-cost outlet stores leading into food courts and performance areas where the locals would go to sing or dance for tips. A Colonial patrolman would walk through the streets now and again, but the density of the security forces pointed out that this was much safer than some of the heavier urban areas of the planet.

“So…you’ve seen a lot of New Manaus?” Tabitha asked.

“Nah, this place is too upscale for me.” She looked around at the vendors and the decoration of the plaza, giving a little headshake. “If only we could’ve landed by Liberty’s Reach – Libertalia for us grunts. Think New York City on crack.”

“None of those words mean anything to me either,” she sighed.

“It’s a bad place with a lot of fun stuff.”

“I see,” she shook her head. “Sounds like I’d get in a fight there…or run away. Luna is safe just about everywhere, for any kind of person.”

“There are normal people there too, just…hiding after dark,” Tess chuckled. “So, what do you want to buy? What kind of stuff do you like?”

“Stuff? I have never had much since I left home. I like to paint, but I left my brushes in Luna. I like to sing too, and I tried writing poetry once, but I’m shit at it.”

“Let’s get you some brushes then.”

“I don’t know if I’m allowed to…I don’t know about the rules, but the Commander seems strict.”

“It’ll be fine, there’s an art supply store just around the way. You want to have something to do, don’t you?” Tess asked.

“Alright, let’s do it already,” Tabitha nodded with a smile.

As they walked into the shop, Tabitha began looking over the paint supplies, looking for something good she could afford with her small amount of spending money.

“Hey, freak!” the shopkeeper shouted.

Tabitha looked around for a moment before realizing she was the one being shouted at. “What?”

“No magic crap in here!”

She looked behind her and saw one of the brushes floating in midair, her mood still causing side effects. She turned around and focused on putting it back, but two more floated up on either side of her.

“Cut it out, you goddamn weirdo,” he grumbled.

“I’m trying!” she snapped, turning towards him and taking an aggressive stance.

“Hey, you harassing my friend?” Tess interrupted, marching up to the counter. “You never seen a Tamearin before?”

“I don’t care if she’s a Tammywammy, a monkey, an elf, or whatever else you want to call her, get her out of my store!”

“I don’t think so, pal, she’s going to get what she wants because she’s out there saving your sorry hide from space pirates, the only question is if she’s going to pay for it with an apology, or if we just walk out of here right now.”

“Just because you’re a soldier doesn’t mean you can steal from me,” he said, his face turning red. He reached out towards the street. “Hey, patrolman! These bastards are trying to shake me down!”

A Colonial patrolwoman stepped into the shop, a lithe woman in light armor with a beautiful face and a long brown ponytail, a gold tag on the front of her uniform reading Jones. Her eyes flashed with recognition towards Tess, then she quickly turned towards the shopkeeper.

“What seems to be the problem?”

“This freakshow,” he said pointing at Tabitha, who was trying hard not to manifest anymore powers, “started jumbling up my store with her godless magic powers, then this lady says she’s going to steal stuff from my store!”

“And this bumbling idiot called my Tamearin friend, a XSDF soldier no less, a monkey and an elf right to her face,” Tess replied. “And he tried to refuse us service!”

“Is this true, sir?” Jones asked.

“If the shoe fits!” he cried. “I don’t need aliens in here messing up stuff with their creepy powers!”

“Progressus caters at least 140,000 aliens and psions per year, you picked the wrong colony if you wanted to only deal with pure humans,” Jones clicked her pen. “Write them up with a discount or I’ll write you up for disturbing the peace.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?!”

“Now, sir. The Ministry of Commerce doesn’t want to hear about vendors being xenophobic.”

The shopkeeper scanned and bagged a set of paintbrushes and a small row of paints, sneering all the way as he marked it down by a generous margin. Handing the bag to Tabitha, she offered a semi-sincere thanks and walked out with Tess.

“You didn’t have to do that…” Tabitha said meekly.

“Didn’t I? You looked like you were about to roast the guy,” Tess shook her head. “We got lucky there, to say the least.”

The patrolwoman walked behind Tess and slapped her shoulder. “I see you’re staying out of trouble, Ryan. Did that guy actually do anything?”

“Nothing in the book, but a serious case of code 3ED. Thanks for the assist,” Tess replied.

“No problem. It’s always fun playing the hardass.”

“How’d you wind up on the beat in a shopping district?”

“The colonel found out about Will’s nighttime visit. He got laid off and our group got scattered. Only Sakram is still in Libertalia, Harris went to New Sydney and Taylor went to Promenade. All shit posts, of course…but there are worse things than relaxing in a shopping zone.”

“Really? What happened to Will?”

“He talked his way out of getting a DD, but he still had to get lost. Damnedest thing, I hadn’t heard from him since that night, then yesterday I see him working security at the dock. Got himself a cushy job and a girlfriend from the sounds of it, but I didn’t hang about.”

“Interesting, I’ll have to visit him.”

“I think you’ve caused him enough grief, even for an uptight dick. He lost his job over you, and it looks like he’s back on his feet. Stay out of trouble,” she said, looking towards the silent Tamearin. “Both of you.”

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll keep in touch,” Tess scoffed.

As Jones walked away, Tabitha looked towards Tess with a confused look. “What’s code 3ED?”

“It’s jargon for dick. 3 equals D. You put it in a computer, it looks like a dick.”

“I see.” Tabitha shook her head and unwrapped her paintbrushes, probing the bristles with her fingertips and smiling. “These’ll work well. Better than the ones on Luna. They don’t care much about art there.”

“Sounds like we finally got you to admit something wrong about Luna,” Tess smirked. “Want to head back, or hit some nightclubs?”

“Clubs? I think I’ll just go back…I don’t want to lose my temper around anyone else.”

“That’s fair enough, let’s head back.”

Last edited:

Adrammalech

| SHORE LEAVE: PART TWO

Getting back to the spaceport, Tess was obviously looking around for someone, a behavior Tabitha would’ve found odd had she not been wrapped up with her new art supplies. She eventually saw Will, holding the marked look of being on break, sitting with a pretty blonde girl who looked enraptured by him. Without any warning, Tess grabbed Tabitha’s hand and held it firmly.

“What are you doing?” Tabitha asked, trying to pull away.

“Just hold my hand,” Tess replied, trying to lace her fingers with the Tamearin’s. “Not like…with the fingers, like this.”

“Isn’t this a symbol of intimacy with you?”

“Yes, just go with it.”

“Is this about your boyfriend? Didn’t the patrolwoman tell you to stay away from him?” Tabitha continued, resigning to holding Tess’ hand.

“He wasn’t my boyfriend, I just want to make him jealous when I talk to him.”

“Why would he be jealous if you weren’t involved?”

“We were involved, just not boyfriend and girlfriend.”

“If you wouldn’t call him boyfriend, why would you be concerned with making him jealous?”

“Just…stop trying to make it logical, I don’t know, alright? Just pretend you’re an airhead and say ‘oh my god’ a lot.”

“What?”

Will gained a panicked look as Tess and Tabitha approached him, his expression turning annoyed while looking at Tess.

“Hey, Will!” Tess said loudly. “It’s great to see you again. Who’s this?”

“This is my girlfriend, Sandra…what are you doing here?” he asked irritably.

“I just wanted to chat, you know, catch up on old times.”

He scowled deeper and looked over to his girlfriend. “I’ll just be a moment.” She gave an understanding smile and Will grabbed Tess by the arm, pulling her aside. Sandra turned towards Tabitha, offering a congenial smile.

“It’s so cool you’re dating a human, a girl at that. That’s totally Progressus of you,” she said.

“Um, yeah. Totally,” Tabitha replied.

“I love your skin tone. Can you tan? Or…is that tan already?”

“…Oh my god,” Tabitha said, turning and walking away.

Tess maintained her grin as Will pulled her away, her ex-squad leader becoming more openly angry by the second.

“What are you doing here?” Will asked.

“We’re parked here. Just wanted to see how you were doing. You look like you’ve moved on quickly.”

“Well, someone made it clear that it was over, so it is over.”

“I got set back a rank, in front of my squad, for you,” Tess replied.

“I got set back a career for you, and you’re the one who walked off. You can’t just barge back in here just because you want to at the given moment.”

“I…I get it, I shouldn’t have come…”

“No, you shouldn’t have. I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but I lucked out twice already. Leave me alone, please.”

With Will going back to his girlfriend and Tabitha heading back to the ship, Tess had little choice but to go home herself. She shuttled back to the Einherjar, and roamed around her crew deck for Tabitha. Considering the awkward circumstances that made her leave before herself, she resigned to leaving her alone and just going back to her own room. She collapsed into her bed and tried to figure out her own emotions, processing the odd rush of confusion she had just experienced. Tears began to form in her eyes, and she realized she didn’t know what to do or what was wrong with her. As she broke out into a real cry, a knock sounded out from the door. A moment later, it opened on its own, and the familiar face of one of Astasha’s executive officers walking through the door.

“Stand up, Ryan,” Abigail said, suppressing her accent again.

“No,” Tess weakly replied.

“I was down on Progressus a half an hour ago, and what do I see? Holding hands with Le’talla, and sneaking around with your old squad leader too. XSDF is not your personal dating service. Get up!”

“I didn’t fuck anyone, damn it!” Tess shouted.

As she turned around, Abby could tell her eyes red and watery, a surprising show of weakness that she was ill-prepared for.

“Ah, tits…” Abigail sighed, softening considerably as she sat down next to her. “Listen now, I know it’s normal to go and get attached with your team, but ye can’t be runnin’ around…”

“We’re not together, it was a ploy for something else,” Tess interrupted. “I’m not going to do anything with Tabitha, I was just being stupid…”

“If I go and ask her now, she’ll agree, aye?”

“Yeah…”

“I’ll keep this out of the paperwork for today, if what ye say is straight. But I’m keeping my eye on you. Stay in between the lines if ye don’t want the Commander kickin’ this door.”

“Yes, ma’am…”

Abigail strode out of the room, shutting the door behind her and leaning on it for a moment. Tess got up from her bed and pressed her ear to the door, trying to listen in.

“Fuckin’ hell, how does she do this heartless shite?” Abigail sighed.

“Excuse me, Honored One,” Khorochar said, walking towards her.

“Please, there’s no need for honorifics,” Abby said, getting off the door. “What do you need?”

“I have been studying my pieces lately,” Khorochar replied, showing off his trinkets, “many of them have names of the warriors that predated our organization. I would like a…how do you say…’roster.’”

“I’m sorry lad, but I got psions getting’ in scuffs, soldiers touchin’ up on each other, engineers askin’ me for tidbits I dun understand…I cannae focus on yer hobby right now.”

“Of course, my apologies, Honored Warrior.”

“Are ye bein’ sarcastic with me?”

“I…do not understand.”

“Forget it, good luck, aye?” Abigail said.

Abigail and Khorochar parted ways, going separate ways through the deck. Tess slumped back into her bed, taking on a more mischievous mood. “A roster for a Balmadaar, and needy engineers…”

DarkGemini24601

Addington Khumalo and Phoebe Appleton:

“Road to Recovery, Part 1”

Somewhere in Subspace (February 4th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:05 P.M., Earth Standard)
Quarters of Fleet Coordinator Khumalo

The South African sat at the table in the center of his room in desolate silence. The lights were dimmed slightly, feeling too bright at the moment for the gloomy Fleet Coordinator, masking the edges of the room - where a dresser sat on the right and a computer console was poised atop a desk on the left - from view. Addington tapped his fork against the rim of the plate idly, having lost any interest in the steak infront of him. He didn’t hear the first knock at the door, lacking the sleep to have such presence of mind. The doorbell chime did convince him to turn his head irritably. “Who is it?” he asked, barely bothering to mask his ire, even if there was a chance it was the Commander.

“AFC Phoebe Appleton. May I come in?” the blond Englishwoman asked gently, not wanting to sound condescending but not taking on a flat tone either.

“What do you want?” Khumalo pressed, not seeming convinced that her presence was going to be desirable. “Come to berate me too, have you?”

“Not at all. I think you’ve received enough of that to get the point by now. I just want to talk, see how you’re doing, sir,” Appleton explained, folding her hands together behind her back as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other whilst waiting to be let in.

“I’m fine. Go away,” Addington said coldly, turning his gaze back down at his food and hoping the older woman would comply.

“If that’s what you think is best…” Phoebe responded, sighing. “But if you change your mind, I’m sure you have my room number on my computer to call me up or come visit.”

“I don’t have any damn need to-!” the South African shouted, losing his temper and slamming his fork against the plate, causing it to screech before being flipped backwards and crashing into the floor, shattering into several pieces. “Goddammit!”

The fighter pilot’s eyes widened on the other end of the door. “Are you alright?” she asked worriedly, taking advantage of the fact that he had forgotten to lock the door to slid it open and step in.

Addington got up from his chair, careful to not step on any of the shattered pieces of porcelain. He looked over in surprise to see the airwoman in her green flight suit and brown jacket. “How did you get in?” he asked, his frustration meshing with confusion.

“You left the door unlocked,” Phoebe explained simply, kneeling down to pick up a few pieces of the broken plate with her gloved hands, carrying them carefully to the waste dispenser near the door.

“You… don’t have to do that. I can take care of it myself,” Addington mumbled, reaching down to clean up some of the shards and dispose of them as well.

The Englishwoman found herself smiling slightly, though she hid the expression from the South African. I suppose he isn’t entirely without the characteristics of a gentleman… even if they’re buried beneath everything else. Maybe that’s something we can work on. “I’ll defer to you, then,” Phoebe decided, sitting down at the other end of the table while Addington finished removing the hazards from the floor.

As he did so, the Fleet Coordinator turned to give Phoebe another irritable glare. “Why are you still here, then?”

“Because you’re clearly not ‘alright’, sir,” the airwoman replied, resting her chin on her hand and returning his glare with a more sympathetic expression. “I’m not bothering you because I want to disturb your privacy, but you clearly need someone to talk to… about everything that’s happened.”

Memories of the confrontation with Pelican’s squadron leader crossed Addington’s mind for a moment. “There isn’t… anything to talk about. My mistake lead to the death of seven of our pilots. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Phoebe shook her head. “That’s not the way to look at it. It wasn’t a mistake; it was a conscious set of decisions that lead to an undesirable outcome.”

“So you are here to antagonize me!” Addington snapped.

“But…” Phoebe continued, unphased by his anger. “That means that you can prevent it from happening again. Everyone makes mistakes, and it’s hard to minimize them. But if you learn from this failure on your part, you can avoid anything like this happening again. You can avoid any disaster that is actually your fault.”

Khumalo’s shoulders slumped, and he looked away from the Englishwoman. “I’m not… so sure I’m capable of changing.”

“Everyone is,” Appleton stated confidently. “If that weren’t true, I’d probably still be living in some sleepy countryside town idling my life away, and you wouldn’t be in space either.”

“I don’t change of my own accord,” Addington responded sullenly. “I’ve just been strung along, rarely able to make my own decisions. I shouldn’t have applied for this position, I should have just stayed at Mia Belle. I enjoyed things there, and it was easy to get by.”

“But you didn’t. And maybe you don’t realize it, but I think I know why.” Phoebe smiled faintly again. “You wanted to challenge yourself; you couldn’t live the life of luxury without having to work for it.”

“It was still a mistake!” Addington protested, looking back at Phoebe but finding his anger subsiding under the airwoman’s kind gaze. “I… I’m not as strong as you seem to think I am.”

“Then where did all that confidence come from? How did you get this position?” Phoebe shook her head. “You may have lacked the experience, but you have a remarkable talent, an attention for detail. Before I came here I took a look at the public files and organization visible for how you manage the missions, and that’s something that I’d have trouble with even with a logic module in my brain.”

“My confidence is exactly what got them killed,” the Fleet Coordinator said firmly, crossing his arms. “Part of improving myself would be to abandon that entirely, to question everything, correct?”

The Englishwoman shook her head, an eager glint in her hazel eyes now that she was finally getting through, even if it was only a little. “Wrong. You should learn to balance confidence with caution. Overconfidence leads to blunders, a lack of confidence leads to an unwillingness to take risks and failure as well.”

“That sounds more difficult, though…”

“That’s the point.” Phoebe shrugged. “Change isn’t easy, improving yourself even less so. But that’s a challenge, isn’t it? Put that mind of yours to use in that capacity so you never have to bear this guilt again.” Seeing Addington was trailing off, taken aback by everything she had said, Phoebe stood up. “I don’t expect you to get everything together in one day. Just think about these things, and I’ll help you apply them. You don’t mind if I stop by around this time in the future, do you?”

“Do I even have a choice?”

“I suppose not,” Citrus declared, before heading out the door. “In the meantime, get some rest. You look like you need it. And I’ll tell someone to send you breakfast in the morning.”

With a sigh, Addington complied, feeling as it he were under house arrest by one of his own pilots, but finding himself strangely feeling a bit lighter than he had before, even if the guilt of so many deaths was still wrapped around his heart.

DarkGemini24601

“Road to Recovery, Part 2”

Somewhere in Subspace (February 5th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:02 P.M., Earth Standard)

Phoebe did arrive at around 5 PM the next day, knocked on the door and having it opened for her this time. Addington sat down at the table, having a similar meal to the other day to start. The airwoman raised an eyebrow. “Nothing for me?”

“Was I supposed to get something for you?” Khumalo deadpanned.

The Englishwoman looked down for a moment, sighing deeply. Still have a lot to work on… “That is customary, but I’ll just have to get something later.” Clearing the slight irritation from her tone, Phoebe continued, “In any event, how are you feeling today?”

Addington smirked. “A lot better, actually. You were very helpful, Miss Appleton,” he stated before spearing a piece of the steak with his fork.

“I sense a ‘but’ coming,” Phoebe returned with a deadpan of her own.

“But I believe I’m doing much better now,” Khumalo had decided after he finished his bite of meat. “My confidence is restored in a manageable capacity, and thus I’m fit for duty again.”

“Really?” Appleton said with a hint of exaggeration in her voice. “So you don’t feel at all bad about the casualties anymore, or the result your arrogance had on the mission in general.”

Addington narrowed his eyes. “I’d watch what you say… you may have been helpful in the past but you are still my subordinate, Ms. Appleton… I invited you here to give you my gratitude and terminate further interactions.”

Phoebe stood up, trembling a bit with anger and frustration of her own. “You haven’t changed at all? Have you forgotten what I told you yesterday? These things take time, you’re just hiding under that fine and dandy demeanor, hiding your sorrows with more arrogance? Do you want more people to die just to make up for your sorrow?”

The Fleet Coordinator clenched his fists, rising from his chair as well. “You seem to think you fucking understand how I think, but you’re wrong! And you’re wrong about half of everything you said!”

Phoebe shook her head, calming herself down. “No, I’m not. And that’s because while I’m confident in what I told you before, it’s because I’m looking out for your best interests. Acting like this… going back to how you were… it’s dangerous, both for you and anyone under your command.”

Addington growled, clenching his teeth this time. “You don’t know what you’re talking about…”

“I think I do.” Phoebe’s expression softened. “Don’t do this, Khumalo… don’t hide under that mask anymore. I know there’s a worthy leader in there somewhere.”

Khumalo’s anger simmered for a few more moments, and then he sat back down in his chair, defeated. The South African placed his head in his hands, obscuring his face. “Why do you insist on doing this… if you want me to feel better…”

“You can be happy and improve your character at the same time. The latter leads to the former,” Appleton conveyed quietly, having washed away her anger with renewed concern for her commanding officer. “But you have to try, you have to change. You can’t be the person you were before.”

“Then what would you have me do…” he mumbled in response.

“Find your good qualities. Emphasize them,” Phoebe began to say.

“And how am I supposed to do that?” Addington interrupted.

“With help.” Phoebe smiled gently as the man across from her slowly looked up again, trying to reassure him. “The other day, when you offered to pick up the mess in my place, that was kind of you. That’s the sort of chivalry I’d expect.”

“I’m not some knight in shining armor,” Addington grumbled. “You think too highly of me, Miss Appleton.”

The airwoman sat down again, realizing she had forgot to take a seat again in her focus on the conversation. “That remains to be seen, sir. But I won’t ever know for sure if you don’t try.”

Addington looked down at the floor. Maybe I have it within me, but… “I… need some time alone.”

“Are you sure that’s best?”

“Yes, just please… leave me be for awhile,” The Fleet Coordinator insisted, his voice shaky.

Phoebe got up again, considering resting a hand on his shoulder but deciding against it. “Alright then. Just take care of yourself. We’ll talk again tomorrow.” A quiet whoosh indicated the automatic door shutting behind the airwoman as she departed, and Addington got up from his chair, sulking over to his bed in the hopes of sleeping at least a little, even if he couldn’t rest as well as last night after what had happened today.

Unknown Status (February 5th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:39 P.M., Earth Standard)

Addington awoke to the sounds of battle echoing outside of the ship. Getting up with a start, he rushed over to the computer, turning on comms. “What’s going on?” he asked desperately.

“We’re under attack! A bunch of enemies using stealth tech showed up out of nowhere! Get up here!” Astasha’s voice snapped through the wires.

The Fleet Coordinator complied, quickly finding himself at the bridge and activating his console, bringing up the status of the fighters, though for some reason all the data was blurred and unreadable. Sweating, Addington did his best to command his troops. “Phoenix, Pelican, deploy!” All the fighters in both squadrons turned red, and the ship shook violently. “P-Phoenix? P-Pelican?”

“We’re all dead,” a voice familiar to Addington informed him. “This is what you get for being so confident, so complacent… you should have been awake and had us flee,” Vincent spoke. “But no, you had to try some fancy trick, some stupid strategy that would get us all killed!”

“N-No, I didn’t mean to…”

“I guess I’ll join my other flightmates,” Hideyoshi’s voice overtook Addington’s. “But you’re coming with me to hell!”

“W-What do you…” Addington spun to see the bridge crew all dead, their wounds too horrible for his mind to comprehend. The cause of the mass deaths? The zombified corpses of the seven that had died under his command in the first aerial mission, along with two others. These two, Vincent and Hideyoshi, rushed Addington in particular while the others dragged a terrified Astasha down.

“What to do with you… I think you deserve the honors for this scumbag, as much as I want a crack at him,” Vincent spoke, though he was missing a jaw and part of his skull.

Hideyoshi grinned with a smile lacking half of his teeth, though the others were as sharp as that of a shark. He closed the distance with Addington, backed up to the wall, and thrust a clawed hand into the side of the Fleet Coordinator’s skull. He didn’t die instantly though, and Add could hear the crunch as the fingers drove along his head. “Well, well, nothing in here after all.” Hideyoshi placed his other hand on the opposite side of Addington’s skull, and began to press with all his might. A crack resonated through Addington’s head…

Somewhere in Subspace (February 6th, 2044)
The Einherjar (1:44 A.M.., Earth Standard)

Addington woke up with a start, holding his head in terror with sweat drenching his clothing and hair. “Oh God, Oh G-God…” he stammered, rocking back and forth a little in a futile attempt to calm himself. “I’m sorry… I’m so sorry,” he mouthed, even if the dream was merely a passing illusion, a night terror. What scared Addington the most was that even if some parts of the dream were fantastical, he end up responsible for losing so many if he continued as he was.

“There’s nothing I can do though,” he whispered with a catch in his throat. “I’m done for…”

DarkGemini24601

“Road to Recovery, Part 3”

The Einherjar (5:09 A.M.., Earth Standard)

Phoebe turned the corner to the hallway of the essential staff rooming wing, coming to Addington’s door, first one on the left. With a light knock, she intoned, “Sorry I’m a little late, had to deal with an argument between Anja and Shepsut over something stupid…” When no response came, she frowned, and pressed, “Anyone in there?”

“I’d… rather not talk today,” Addington’s dry voice came through the other side, seeming as if he were physically sick.

“You alright. Come down with something?” Phoebe asked cautiously.

“No...I just… leave me alone for today. I-I just can’t…”

Phoebe sighed, resting her hand on the frame of the door. “You sure you don’t want to talk about it? I think you’d feel better if you got whatever was getting you so down off your chest…”

“Leave me alone, dammit!” Addington yelled, though regretted it as it brought pain to his unused and shaky voice, choked with fear and sadness. “I-I’m sorry, I’m just… a wreck right now…” he whispered, nearly inaudible.

“I understand.” Pushing herself off the door, Phoebe added, “I can leave you alone for now, but I have two conditions.”

Addington didn’t respond, so Phoebe just went on.

“First of all, you won’t be able to get out of talking to me tomorrow. Even if you feel this bad, even if you feel worse, I need you to confide in me. Got it?”

“I understand…” Add responded at length, though he didn’t get up from his king-sized bed, keeping the covers drawn over himself.

“And secondly, don’t go hurting yourself or anything.” Phoebe closed her eyes for a few seconds. “Nothing you’ve done is worthy of your death, Khumalo. Promise me you will never think that.”

“I… promise,” he muttered.

“I need more than that.”

“I promise, alright?” he snapped.

“That’s better.” If not anywhere near perfect. Phoebe sighed, reluctant to leave, but having no other choice. With one last sidelong glance as she turned back down the hallway, she withdrew cooly.

The Einherjar (5:48 A.M.., Earth Standard)
Mess Hall

“Seriously, though,” Anja Jollenbeck said through bites of her sandwich, “Do you really side with Bast on something this important?”

Phoebe tapped her fingers against the table. “It wasn’t ‘important’, River… it was stupid to get so heated about something like that with Shepsut.”

“Oh, come on! Everyone knows Seraphs are a hell of a lot more fun to pilot than those shitty Shifters! To think that you and her actually wish they were part of Gallium Flight…”

“I don’t wish I was. I never said who I agree with! I just wanted to shut both of you up!” Phoebe snarled, causing Anja to recoil a bit. “S...Sorry, Anja. Just having a tough day.”

“Talk with SkyEye didn’t go well?” Anja guessed, her expression becoming more understanding.

“We barely talked at all. His mood was slightly better one day, too much better the next, and now it’s crashed.”

“Probably ‘cause what you said to him is haunting him.” Anja held up her hands defensively as Citrus glared at her. “Didn’t say you did the wrong thing, but you’re forcing him to truly confront all that guilt from his fuckup and the possibility that if he doesn’t change, he’ll make the same costly mistakes again. It’s tough, but if he really is a good guy, he’ll get through it.”

“Decisions, not mistakes,” Phoebe correctly after a period of silence.

“I don’t get why you’re throwing around that philosophy,” Anja complained, resting her hands on her cheeks with her elbows on the table. “What good does mincing words do?”

“It proves a point. Like I told him, he can’t change unless he acknowledges that was something entirely preventable. That… may not be the whole truth, since we couldn’t have expected a force that powerful, but for the sake of getting through to him that’s not important,” Appleton put her thinking into words. “It’s like re-breaking a bone so that it will mend properly.”

“I guess that makes sense… do you really think he is going to get through this and emerge better for it?” Anja asked seriously. “Don’t set yourself up for disappointment, Phoebe… he may not be strong enough to forge himself into a more worthy leader.”

“I believe in him. Though even if he gets through this crisis, it’s a tough road ahead.” Phoebe poked at her food. “First impressions are hard to remove after they’ve stuck. He’s made a lot of us dislike him, and he’s going to have to spend weeks repairing the damage his arrogance caused, both in terms of other people’s pride and in regards to those whose friends he got killed.”

“Right…” Jollenbeck sighed. “I’ll tell you what, Phoebe. You’re a better person than me, I know that for certain.”

Appleton looked up in surprise. “You think so? Why?”

“Because you’re not just doing this for the sake of the Einherjar’s flyboys and girls, aren’t you? You’re doing it because you’re kind enough to care about even someone like him.” Anja sat back in her chair. “I was ready to give up on ‘em, though what Narcisse said combined with what you’ve been doing… makes me feel a little bad for thinking that.” She shook her head. “Not that I feel bad for calling him an asshole before! He was, and is still guilty until proven innocent!”

Phoebe smiled. “I suppose for once we have to invert the justice system, huh? I just hope things turn out well.”

“With you being the one talking to him, I think they will. Unlike how they might be with that creepy psych… I wouldn’t blame Add for running away in terror after one visit with her.”

“Says the psion who can peek into people’s rooms without their permission.”

“Hey, I only did that to you once,” Anja grumbled. “Had to confirm no implants were involved with that bust.”

Phoebe raised an eyebrow. “Jealous, are we?”

“Don’t you go accusing me of breast envy, woman!” Anja shouted a little too loud, getting up a bit. Seeing the confused stares of nearby soldiers, she wisely sank back down into her seat. Even if it’s true.

The other airwoman chuckled, her mood seeming lightened. “Probably should finish my food, huh?”

“On one condition,” Anja said darkly.

Phoebe looked at her with confusion. “W-What’s that?”

“Which of us did you agree with, then?”

“...it doesn’t matter, Anja…”

“Oh yes it does,” the German insisted.

Phoebe sighed, covering her face with her hands. “...fine. Seraphs are more enjoyable to pilot.” Anja broke out into a smile, and pumped a hand in the air in victory.

“I knew it!”

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

“Road to Recovery, Part 4”

Somewhere in Subspace (February 7th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:00 A.M.., Earth Standard)

Addington inevitably heard the knock on his door signally that Phoebe had arrived. He had experienced a similar nightmare to the last one, the only variation being that this time Penguin squadron had perished as well, aiding to the zombified carnage at the end of the dream. He did feel worse, but knew that there would be no arguing with Appleton about canceling today’s meeting. Forcing himself to sit up in bed, he had to drag himself off the mattress like a man daring to enter the dark wilderness around him. “Remember the promise you made yesterday?” the Englishwoman’s voice came through the door, slightly muffled by the steel.

“I do,” Khumalo responded, the South African dragging himself over to the door to open it for her. He was moderately surprised to see it was she who had brought food, carrying two meals with her on a tray. Phoebe offered him a smile, and he let her in, the airwoman setting the two meals on the table. They were fairly similar, chicken breasts taken from the ship’s freezer and modified with spices, along with a side of mashed potatoes. For Addington’s, there was a side of macaroni as well, and for Phoebe she had simply given herself a small salad.

“Food to your liking?” Phoebe asked, noting his gaze on the meal as he sat down.

“Very...much so…” Addington mumbled, his growling stomach making him realize just how hungry he had gotten with his grief-diminished appetite. “How did you know that I liked…”

“Looked it up in the ship’s records,” Appleton answered. “Figured it might make you feel better,” she continued as he dug in. And it seems it did indeed.

Khumalo took a break from eating to respond, “Why you care so much is beyond me…”

“Because I’d like to think we’re becoming friends… can I call you Addington?”

“If you want,” Addington said, seeming too out of it to care about using his rank in this situation, before he began to eat again.

Phoebe smiled softly. “And you can call me by my name, of course. Getting called ‘Ms. Appleton’ by someone younger than me feels a bit odd.”

Addington frowned. “Another insurmountable barrier I seem to find… I suppose Drizzle was right about me being unqualified…”

“It’s Vega, you know,” Phoebe chided before taking a bite of her mashed potatoes, then having some of her chicken. “But while your inexperience does put you at a disadvantage, I’ve told you that you can do better. What… was bothering you the other day?”

“The same thing that’s bothering me today.” Addington looked up at her. “I… can’t even sleep properly anymore. I have nightmares that I lose more people… from Phoenix, Pelican… e-even Penguin Squadron… and that they seek bloody vengeance on me from beyond the grave.”

“I don’t think they would.” Phoebe frowned. “They might bemoan their early deaths, but ultimately I’d like to think the dead can look at things a bit more objectively. I know I’d be satisfied slightly if you improved yourself, at least a little, as a consequence.”

“It doesn’t make up for it, though…”

“It doesn’t, but that’s not the point. You have to do the best you’re capable of to honor their memory. And we’ll get to that in time.” Phoebe shook her head. “For now, eat. You need it.”

The Nightmare, Occurrence III

After going to sleep again, this time at a more normal time, Addington found himself in the same dream. It was with resignation that he ran up to the bridge, not even bothering to activate the comms to ask what was going on. This time all but Penguin Squadron was lost nearly immediately in the battle, Manta not even making it out of the hangar as it was destroyed. The zombies of Vincent, Yuuna, and Hideyoshi confronted him at the helm again.

“Your favoritism is just as bad… didn’t want your dear friend to die so you were content to let us all burn, huh?” Yuuna spat, striding up to Addington. “You’re the worst sort of scum.”

“Maybe I am,” Addington spoke for the first time in the dream, seeming to surprise the undead a little. “I suppose I am arrogant and conceited, and a terrible excuse for a leader… you’re right to want revenge, so take it.”

“Have it your way!” Minami thrust her hand forward, and the clawed appendage punched through the Fleet Coordinator’s chest, ending the dream in red.

Somewhere in Subspace (February 8th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:04 A.M.., Earth Standard)

“So you just gave up?” Phoebe questioned as Addington finished recalling the third nightmare to her. “That’s not the best solution…”

“What would you have me do, then?” Addington responded, seeming paler than usual. “I deserve this sort of suffering, even if it’s just in my mind…”

“That isn’t the point,” the English airwoman contested, looking the Fleet Coordinator in the eye. “You need to accept the bad side of yourself, that’s good. But you have to acknowledge that you’re worth saving, too.” Phoebe offered him a warm smile. “I think you are, at least.”

“I… I really appreciate that,” Addington responded, seeming a bit off-guard, and certainly surprised out of his stupor.

“Just the advice of a friend,” Phoebe replied. “I’m not an expert on dreams. Maybe Cross…”

“Please no!” Addington responded hurriedly. “I’d… rather not take all of this to her.”

“Funny, Anja had the same reaction, and suspected you would as well.”

The Nightmare, Occurrence IV

The fourth time Addington was on the nightmarish, bloody bridge of the Einherjar, he subconsciously decided to take Phoebe’s advice into practice. As the three zombies, seeming to be a similar compliment to last time, approached, he stepped forward rather than backward. “You have every right to take vengeance… but know that I wish to do better. I want to prevent something like this happen… it doesn’t have to be this way.”

“You think we care?” Vincent growled, tearing off some of the remnants of his jaw. “Such sentiments are all fine and dandy, but they ultimately won’t change the ruin you’ll bring upon us all!”

“T-That’s not true… I…”

“She’s wrong about you,” Hide cut in. “You aren’t brave, you aren’t a good person… you are nothing, you’re empty. You’re switching masks, but the same void lies within!” He punched through Addington’s stomach, and the Fleet Coordinator was surprised when he felt no pain, but screamed when he saw the black emptiness opened up by the hole Takigawa had put into his gut.

Somewhere in Subspace (February 9h, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:06 A.M.., Earth Standard)

“Why can’t I dispel all of that…” Addington muttered, holding his head in his hands. “I want to make up for my failures, I really do… but they won’t…”

“It’s not them. They’re part of your mind, not the actual people,” Phoebe corrected. “I think… you’re having trouble really forgiving yourself.”

“Why… why should I? Those seven that died had families, didn’t they? Friends? It should have been me, not much would have been lost…”

“I’m sure you had someone in this world that cared about you at some point,” Phoebe replied. “And you do deserve forgiveness. You’re trying so hard, and I respect that. Just believe in yourself, and then we can move on to actually rebuilding you. But you have to put this behind yourself.”

The Nightmare, Occurrence V

The fifth time the nightmare occured, things went completely south. All four of the Squadrons were wiped out, and approaching Addington this time was Phoebe among the undead. He trembled in fear at seeing his only friend among his tormentors for a moment, but then clenched a fist in resolution. “No… I won’t be afraid of you or give in this time…”

“Aw, trying to be brave?” Zombie-Phoebe growled. “You’re just wearing-”

“A mask? Maybe. But this one I’ll fuse to my face permanently… I’ll become the person I know the real Phoebe would want me to be,” Addington replied confidently, a faint smile forming on his face as they started to fade. “I… I did it…” This time he wasn’t woken up by the nightmare, but when he did finally awaken, it was a pleasant morning this time.

DarkGemini24601

“Road to Recovery, Part 5”

Somewhere in Subspace (February 12th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:10 A.M.., Earth Standard)

Addington looked over the table in the center of the room with a mild degree of satisfaction. There were two meals this time, one of them being for Phoebe. A knock came on the door, and he opened it to see the waiting airwoman in her typical attire. “I was wondering if I was going to have to throw out another meal because you didn’t show,” the Fleet Coordinator complained.

Phoebe’s eyes widened for a moment as she noticed the plate infront of her spot on the table. “Oh, I’m sorry… had simulator training with the rest of the flight yesterday, couldn’t make it.”

Khumalo chuckled, shaking his head. “I’m just joking…”

Appleton blinked for a moment. “Oh, I see,” she responded with a hint of irritation at herself for not realizing what he was doing. Bastard…

Both sat down at the table, beginning to eat. Pausing, Addington asked, “So what’s on the agenda for today?”

Phoebe rested her cheek on her hand for a moment, thinking. “I had the idea of taking a walk around the ship… there is something I’d like to teach you.”

“And what is that?” Addington asked neutrally, before spearing a piece of pork with his fork.

Phoebe smiled slightly. “I had the crazy idea of teaching you how to be a gentleman, Addington.”

“A… are you implying I don’t have manners?” The Fleet Coordinator said in disbelief. “I’ll have you know I’m from a fairly wealthy family, and that comes with a degree of knowledge in how to be…”

“That’s true, but I more so mean the attitude… I’m glad you’re feeling better and you seemed to have overcome those nightmares, but you need to learn how to respect those under you, and…” Citrus rubbed the back of her neck. “Treat a lady.”

SkyEye frowned. “I’m… fully capable of…”

“You haven’t ever dated someone, have you?”

“...no,” He answered honestly. “I… suppose I can see why.”

“Well, with our illustrous leader…” Phoebe quickly lowered her voice as Astasha’s quarters weren’t too far from here, and even if it was at the end of the hall, she didn’t feel confident in saying, “practically banning it, you don’t have to worry too much about that, but you should still learn how to be courteous. Come on.” With that, Phoebe grabbed her plate and stood up, having Addington follow her.

The two walked down to the staff lounge, passing through the automatic door. “I suppose I can just mention it, but if we ever come across a manual door it would be customary for you to open it for me,” Phoebe mentioned.

Addington raised an eyebrow. “Perhaps if I ever decide to go down to one of the planets…”

Phoebe began to brew some tea, and snapped her fingers. “That’s an excellent idea. Perhaps when we get to Progressus you could come down to the surface with me for practice!”

“You’re taking this a little too seriously, I think,” Addington responded. “We aren’t a couple, you know.”

“You said it, not me,” Phoebe responded sarcastically.

“I see why Jollenbeck dubbed you Citrus,” Addington responded with equal mirth.

“Damn you all,” The Englishwoman muttered, though a smile touched her lips. “Well, you’ve got the humor part down at least. Though don’t forget to be pleasant and honest when necessary, and that goes for everyone, women or otherwise.”

“It may be helpful, but I doubt there are relationships I can mend,” Khumalo responded seriously. “Drizzle, for example.”

“Vega.”

“Sorry. But the point is, I doubt Lindberg and myself will make a very effective team as things are, and that’s dangerous,” the South African continued.

“Then let me give you my next piece of advice for being a gentleman,” Phoebe announced, taking a sip of her tea before placing it down on the plate as she turned around to face Addington. “Apologize to him for how you acted.”

“To be frank, he was antagonizing me as well, with that trick question of his and the hostile attitude he displayed from the start,” Addington protested, crossing his arms. “I don’t see why…”

“Because it will mend things.” Phoebe narrowed her eyes. “I think a lot of that can be justified on his part, honestly. You know that.”

“I suppose…”

“And furthermore,” Phoebe continued unabated. “While the degree of blame for that spat doesn’t lie with just you, that’s not important here. What is important is showing kindess and humility. I think Lindberg will realize he was being a tad unfair with you if you show you’ve changed. Though, we’ll see if I have to force him to talk to you or not…”

“If you do get involved I have no doubt you will get what you want, Phoebe,” Addington responded with a mixture of admiration and irritation, an odd combination to say the least. “You’re very persuasive, for better or worse.”

“Another point there, compliments,” Appleton responded with an eyebrow raised. “I’m not quite sure if that was on, but they are a good thing to give. Just don’t go too far, or you’ll end up sounding like a hopeless womanizer.”

“Again with the complexity and silver linings,” Addington muttered under his breath as the two sat down at a table, enjoying the rest of their meal. They talked briefly, but were mainly focused on eating, since this was a little later than either of them were used to after this schedule had gone on for about a week. Thinking back on it, she really has been a light in the darkness for me, Addington thought to himself. I couldn’t have made it through everything if not for her. So even if her advice is questionable at times, I’m better off following it. To think that I’d be taking orders from a subordinate, though…

Phoebe finished off her cup of tea. “Addington, could you get me another bag of tea?”

“Can’t you do it-” The Fleet Coordinator was stopped by Phoebe’s disapproving expression. “Courtesy does not entail me being your servant, you know.”

“Just this once. And I’m not about to ask you to move boulders and such for me, so just go along with it,” The airwoman stated simply.

With a contained sigh, Addington stood up and walked over to the counter, retrieving a bag of tea for Phoebe. When he returned, he noted a brown-haired woman sitting in his chair. “Jollenbeck, what are you doing?”

“Hm?” The German replied, giving Addington a smile that suggested what her purpose being here was.

Dammit, Phoebe. Addington straightened his posture. “That happens to be my seat, so if you wouldn’t mind, could I please have it back?”

“Can’t be sure if there’s any sarcasm…” Anja mused.

“It was good enough, River,” Phoebe decided.

“Ah, fine, you’re no fun.” Anja got up, shrugging to Addington and walking off again.

“Just had to do a little test,’ Phoebe explained.

“If that suits you,” Addington said in defeat. “Just don’t do this to me every day, or I’ll feel like I’m back in school again.” Both of them shuddered at the thought.

DarkGemini24601

“Road to Recovery, Part 6”

Orbit around Progressus (February 13th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:05 A.M.., Earth Standard)

“So you don’t have anything planned for me today?” Addington asked, finding that prospect a little hard to believe at the moment.

“No, I think we’re good… we can behave like normal friends for today and tomorrow,” Phoebe responded, taking a sip of her British-style tea.

Addington smirked. “Meaning? You seem to forget I’m still relatively new at this.”

“Ah, right.” Appleton folded her hands together. “I figured we could talk about everything that’s been happening around the ship. It’s like a soap opera, you know? So much going on, so many interesting or plain odd people.”

“Such as myself for the latter?”

“Potentially.”

Addington shook his head. “Well, if I were to pick out one thing in particular, it would be the incident in engineering.” The South African scoffed. “It’s distasteful to learn that recruitment is so incompetent that it brought upon our fine vessel a group of outright thugs.”

Phoebe nodded. “I’m just glad they’re being dropped off at the colony to be sent home. Two of them, at least. I wonder how Cauthon’s doing…”

“Hopefully better.” Addington sighed. “He’s a talented young man from what I understand, and it’d be a waste to lose him over anything like this. Though I shudder to think of the fact that he may be visiting our psychatrist now.”

“She’s not that bad, you know… and as far as I know she only uses suggestion if someone asks for it,” Phoebe responded. “On a less serious note, I swear, if you start comparing Cauthon to yourself…”

“Well, he is young and skilled, but underestimated by his peers…” Addington started.

“But you haven’t been physically assaulted for that. Verbally, maybe, but that’s hardly the same thing.”

Addington’s expression fell. “I know. That’s not what I mean… I just… if he can be successful, I can too. My apologies.”

Phoebe shook her head. “It’s alright.” Changing the subject, she stated, “For me, it was that mission at Outpost P-012. It’s troubling that the pirates would launch a direct assault on one of our colonies, armed with a weapon with that much destructive power. Where did they get it…”

“A derelict Humiliata ship?” Addington guessed optimistically. “Or the black market. We shouldn’t underestimate the sort of crap they can find on there… though…” His expression darkened. “I still haven’t forgotten those damn Rapiers. For Venom to have something like that… did you check the findings of the engineering team?”

“I did, but the manufacturing details from those craft didn’t tell them anything, apparently. It could be one of many shipbuilding factions, though they’re definitely not custom models. They had to have bought a squadron of them specifically for that station. And… come to think of it… maybe it was related to the attack on the outpost.”

Addington nodded slowly, his expression becoming more troubled by the minute. “If we hadn’t noticed that outpost… the Skyranger might have been blown to pieces by twelve cloaked fighter craft, and the outpost wouldn’t have stood a chance at defending itself for long enough that we could have gotten there. Something definetly isn’t right… we got lucky, but there seem to be bigger things at play here.”

“To be honest, I wonder if Streczyk isn’t telling us everything about this mission, or if she doesn’t know herself. Either way, both of those prospects are scary,” the Englishwoman responded. “And either way, we’re definitely going up against pirates better-equipped than the norm.”

Addington folded his hands together. “I did a little checking of my own, and it seems like pirate activity has intensified in recent years. It’s probably a side effect of the Humiliata finally losing their vast, ironclad influence over most of the known galaxy. Under them, several races were subjugated and made to serve, and those that were outside of their direction reach were still hesitant to leave their home systems. It accounts for the lack of colonies before 2019.”

“But the XSDF should have filled that gap to some extent, right? We’ve functioned as peacekeepers quite well…”

The Fleet Coordinator sighed. “You are right to some extent, though obviously we don’t have much of a say in the affairs of other races. We inspire respect, but not necessarily fear, and that governs their actions less.”

“That’s not the worst thing in the world, though,” Phoebe insisted. “Rule by fear is destined to crumble, and it did.”

“Of course.” Addington waved his hands defensively. “I didn’t mean to imply it would be a better way for us to operate.” Calming down, he added, “But it does mean that piracy has expanded. The galactic slave trade and the black market in general practically were insignificant before all of this, according to… admittedly biased Ethereal records. And we can’t exactly change the Shinso’s ways in regards to the Cartus, or convince them and the Quin to stop feuding. Where there is chaos and instability, there will be piracy. Fact of life.”

Phoebe rubbed her chin. “And that’s why they’ve expanded in scope. But what about in strength? The Humiliata are still able to protect their own ships and interests, that hasn’t changed. And the XSDF hasn’t lost critical supplies with any measure of frequency. We don’t even manufacture Rapiers. Do you know who does?”

Addington smiled grimly. “That sort of knowledge is second nature to me. The Rapiers are manufactured by a Replitan company that employs Bajir, as well as being made directly by the Humiliata. The former isn’t completely without its darker ties, but they’re at least moderately legitimate businessmen. They wouldn’t give up the technical specs for a ship like that easily, so someone would have had to have paid them an exorbitant amount if what we fought wasn’t manufactured by that company.”

“So we’ve got a mystery in who that could be, right?”

“Correct. And I doubt we’re going to find the answer anytime soon, though it may be related to whoever’s laying claim to Forseti…” Addington sighed. “I guess if it is, we’ll find out soon enough.”

“In lighter news, I do have something I’d like for you to do on the 15th,” Phoebe cut in.

“And what’s that?”

“You’ll see,” Phoebe said with a sly smile.

DarkGemini24601

“Road to Recovery, Part 7”

Orbit around Progressus (February 15th, 2044)
The Einherjar (5:15 A.M.., Earth Standard)
Gym 3

“So your lighthearted idea is to have me spar with your friend. Color me a little confused,” Addington stated as he fastened dark green gloves onto his hands, while Anja did the same with dark blue boxing hand protectors.

Phoebe crossed her arms, leaning against the wall of the building. “It’s a good stress reliever. Besides, I think you need to do more in terms of physical health.”

“Alright, mother,” Addington responded a bit icily.

Is that from animosity with his family, maybe? Phoebe shook her head, dismissing the thought for now. “You ready, Anja?”

Jollenbeck hopped a few paces in place to get her blood pumping. “Pretty much. Don’t be too bothered if you lose, Add.”

With a determined expression, the Fleet Coordinator responded, “I have no desire to, so that will not happen. Exercise is half mental, right?”

“‘Cept I’ve got the physical part down.”

“Except for…” Phoebe began to say with a widening smile.

“Save it, Citrus! You ready, SkyEye?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” With that, Anja ran towards Addington with a right hook. The man countered with his right fist. Simple enough… However, her speed soon caught him off guard, as she came in with a left punch that he barely managed to dodge, and had to keep blocking from brief, intermittent flurries of strikes. For the rest of the time, the two merely squared off. She’s not studying my movements like I would expect her to… why?

“Confused?” Anja grinned, and went for a sweeping kick the Fleet Coordinator wasn’t expecting, sending a pain through his legs, but he didn’t fall. “Not bad for a guy who doesn’t do this often.”

“I… won’t lose,” Addington growled, rushing forward to go on the offensive. He pushed his right hand forward in a feint, as if fencing, and then went in for the real strike at Anja’s stomach with his left.

“Too slow,” Anja taunted, catching his fist and twisting it a little, making her opponent pull back in pain. “Not by much though. Left-handed, are you?”

Khumalo narrowed his eyes. Perceptive… though let’s see how you handle this! He kicked at her left, forcing her to block with a punch, but Addington quickly followed up with a strike at Anja’s right, managing to land a hit in and force her back. “Doesn’t mean I can’t mix it up.”

Anja rubbed her side where the blow had connected. “Alright, not bad for an amateur.” The German started moving forward in an unusual pattern, sort of like a zig-zag but not really discernable what she was doing. Addington watched her movements with confusion, but couldn’t predict her next attack as she suddenly dived to the floor and kicked up at his stomach, blowing him back.

The Fleet Coordinator coughed painfully, the wind knocked out of his lungs from the blow to his stomach and diaphragm. H-How...what sort of fighting style is she using? Growling in frustration with some of the air he had left, Addington tried to move forward again, but only managed to get punched in the arms as he went for two simultaneous strikes.

“Come on, Addington,” Phoebe muttered to herself. “Figure it out…”

Anja grinned. “You don’t have a chance against someone like me, mister tactical.” She went for two punches with her right, then one with her left, forcing her foe back the whole time. He managed to dodge all the blows, but a left kick, right punch, left punch, left kick, and right kick in no clear pattern finally managed to break his guard, the last strike landing on his ribs and creating a fair deal of pain, enough to where he was starting to wonder if he could keep fighting.

“What...the hell are you doing…?” Addington grumbled, trying to figure out what sort of martial arts she was using or at least what her pattern of attack was going to be. Left kick again? He was wrong, a right hook slamming into his solar plexis again and knocking him to his knees. C-Come on, this is ridiculous? Why can’t I figure out what she’s doing, I can predict the general movements of aircraft, that’s one of my fortes…

Anja tapped her foot, cracking her knuckles. “You give up yet? Or are we still going?”

Addington just stared her down for what must have been twenty seconds, letting his pain subside. As Anja finally took his silence as the latter option, he managed to block her kick and subsequent punch, but stumbled back, only able to dodge at this point. I still don’t get it… does she not have any fighting style at all? Wait, that’s it! She’s not using martial arts… she’s… Addington studied Anja’s erratic punches and strikes, a realization striking him. “You’re… fighting like a barroom brawler, nothing more?”

“Finally figured it out, huh?” Anja chuckled. “What’re you going to do about it though, you can’t follow my movements!” She punched twice more, then a kick, then a punch, then two kicks, two of the strikes making it through and forcing Addington to ask himself that questoin seriously.

How can I win against this… I’m clumsy and untrained, and she’s clearly been in enough brawls to know how to fight well, like a drunkard. Dammit… I don’t want to fail here… I’ve been trying so hard to improve myself, this is just one more thing! With a cry of defiance, Addington ran forward, throwing the hardest punch he could to try and get through her defenses with a left hook of desperation.

Anja grinned, and ducked under the blow with her short stature aiding her defenses, and slammed a kick into Addington’s chest once last time, bringing him to his hands and knees.

Why… why can’t I be good enough to beat her?! Addington looked at the ground shakily, frustration welling up in his heart. And then it hit him. It’s like… what Vincent told me…

“And since you’ve seemed to have given up on the question, the answer is simple: eject.”

And like what I should have done when I realized we were out of our element against those Rapiers…

“Don’t underestimate the enemy. That’s how people die.”

They were… hinting at this…

“Don’t be too bothered if you lose, Add.”

I get it… Addington chuckled, even though it brought him a bit of pain to do so. “I see now…” he mumbled. It’s about humility…

Anja offered her CO a hand. “It was a good fight, but you still need a lot of work. Otherwise you don’t stand a chance in a real fight, against me or anyone else.”

For a moment, Addington clenched a fist, ready to spit a retort out about the unfairness of the match, but then said, relaxing, “You’re right… I really had no chance there. Shouldn’t have kept going for so long.” Grasping the German’s hand, he was pulled up, and Phoebe smiled widely.

“You finally got it, huh?” The Englishwoman echoed Anja’s earlier words.

Addington smiled weakly, even knowing he probably had some bruises and would need to take the rest of the day off. “Yeah, I understand now. It surprises me to be saying this after having the crap kicked out of me to make your point, but thank you, Phoebe.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53
The Difference Between Boy and Machine: Part One

XSDF Battleship Einherjar
Outside Engineering
Feb. 15th, 1400 Hours

Nick rubbed his sore neck, having spent hours of work on Clunker after finding out from Brienne that Clunker's circuitry and wiring wasn't outputting the way he designed or intended, so it would be a massive undertaking trying to gut him and replace everything. So instead, he had been up all night patching up areas using the notes the other engineer had left him to help with his work as she had to attend to her own.

Glitch was back by Nick's side now, after having learned about the events that transpired after Nick had intentionally left him updating longer than needed. In a way, it still seemed like the A.I. had not forgiven his master, even if he gave no sign of showing it.

"I'm exhausted..." Nick said after a big, audible yawn. "These all nighters really suck..."

"You are a developing teen Mr. Cauthon. These late night sessions are bad for you." Glitch noted seriously, with genuine worry.

"I know...but being so close to an amazing achievement in your life don't really leave a lot of room for sleep!" He said in a sing songy voice as he stretched out his muscles. "Do I look bad?" Nick asked, noting the dark bags under his eyes.

"Yes Mr. Cauthon." The A.I. answered bluntly.

"Wow...thanks." he said with a giggle, nudging the frame of the A.I.

Behind Nick, within Engineering, he and his robotic companion could here a ruckus.

"No, I don't have any 'business' here. What's it to you?!" I'm just looking for the kid!"

"Well, he left a little while ago. Why don't you come back..."

"That's what you told me this morning!"

Nick and Glitch looked at one another for a brief second. "That isn't James again... that voice was female."

"Mr Cauthon, you should really avoid any unneeded contact, especially after your ordeal." The assistant pressed.

"Glitch, I will not keel over just because I see a person here and there. I can handle it." As Nick turned the corner he said, "Besides... I'm curious."

Korra stomped her foot as she spoke to a pair of confused engineers. "I'm not going to hurt him! I just..."

"What?" One of them asked. "What do you want with him?"

Korra stood up straight and tapped her chin. "I... I don't know." She shrugged her shoulder. "So where is he?"

"Uh...right here." Nick stated out loud, slowly walking up to the engineers and Korra. "It's alright guys, I can see her." He reassured the engineers, looking up at the visiting women with a bit of curiosity, though the realization soon dawned on him that he knew who the visitor was.

Korra suddenly rushed towards Nick, kneeling down in front of him and grasping his shoulders. "Are you okay, kid? Any permanent damage? Broken bones?"

Nick was startled a little at her sudden move, though his face quickly soon turned to one of annoyance as he pushed Korra away. "Not a kid..."

Korra frowned. "I'm sorry, what? Did I hurt you? I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to..."

"No...just gets annoying seeing as how I am sixteen going seventeen and people still call me kid or other variations that basically equate to kid." Taking a deep breath, Nick's somewhat bright composure returned. "Though to answer you question, I am fine. Had a little cut on the top of my head after I was tossed but nothing too bad."

Glitch floated up to Korra, eyeing her for a second before returning to Nick's side. "Mr. Cauthon, who is this strangely disproportionate Tamearin female?" The A.I. asked.

Nick blushed for a brief second before saying, "The woman who saved me from getting hurt any worse."

"Oh." The A.I. turned back to Korra and 'nodded' it's body. "Thank you for saving my master."

"Not your master, Glitch..." Nick pointed out, the A.I. turning around and eyeing Nick for a few moments. "To me you are. Nothing will change my mind on the matter."

"Well... you're welcome, Mr... tin can..." Korra gave Glitch an odd look. Disproportiate? She knelt back down in front of Nick. "And I'm sorry, Cauthon."

"W-What? Why? I should be apologizing for having to drag you into my fight. Especially since you could have gotten hurt." Nick said, with a tinge of guilt, looking down.

Korra laughed. "Not for that, stupid. I meant for calling you a kid." She pulled back her hair, revealing her ears, and moved her tail between them. "I should have known better, considering how young I was when I started to train for the XSDF." She shook her head. "Besides... it isn't like you asked for my help. I just sort of... butted in."

"O-Oh...well, regardless, I am glad you did. I...don't really know what I would have done if you weren't there." A quick thought occurred to him and he quickly asked, "Do you still have the fake gun? I never took it from you the night you were taken away."

"Mhmm." She pulled it out of a back pocket and handed to Nick. "I figured I wasn't your sister, so I shouldn't lecture you about it. Though please be careful."

"W-What, no!" Nick shook his hands and pushed it back to Korra. "I wanted you to keep it!" He told her with a large smile. "I-I thought...well I couldn't properly thank you, maybe it could be at least a small token of my appreciation? Besides...hopefully I won't need it anymore."

Korra nodded, and placed it back in her pocket. "Thanks. Maybe it'll get me out of a jam some time." She bit her lip. "Listen, Cauthon. I''m glad I could help you. And... and I want you to know you can... always ask for help. Just..." She shook her head. "I don't know. If something like that happens again, I heard you're pretty smart." She tapped Nick on the head. "And I heard you like solving problems. So just think of it like another problem worth solving. Just... that doesn't mean you should be afraid to..." She shook her head again, having lost track of what she was trying to say, assuming she knew from the start.

Nick sighed and he waved Korra to follow him, leading her inside the engineering bay and walking into the workshop designated as his, closing the door slowly behind him. "Look...I know I should have told people..." He stated in a low and saddened tone, looking down at his hand and twisting the small gold circle on his finger. "I just didn't react well to the situation. It brought up...painful memories..." Nick still kept his back to Korra, just facing the door as if he didn't have the strength or will to look at her directly as he said it.

Korra nodded, despite him not looking at her. "I just... it is hard for me to say anything. I don't know all the facts. And..." She gritted her teeth for a moment. "There... th-there is something to be said about being able to... defend yourself. Don't want people to... to think you're weak." Damn it... whatever your name was! "But you're an adult, right? Not a kid? Well, part of being an adult is knowing when you need to do something on your own, and knowing you need to admit defeat and ask for help."

Nick chuckled. "Yeah...I know a few people who would agree with you there." The teen finally turned around and he walked over and sat on a stool near his main workbench. Nick reached over and grabbed a picture frame, looking down at it, he ran a finger over the glass and had to hold back a tear. "It seems more and more I am finding myself in an adult world. I want to fit into it as best as I can... but sometimes I just find it a little hard, you know?"

Korra nodded. "I know. Sometimes... you feel so ready. But then one thing or another happens, and you realize you weren't as ready as you think you are. That's when you have to take a step back, collect your thoughts... and make sure you can make it as a grown up. But... if you're strong, you'll make it."

"D-Do you...really think I can make it? You're not just going to...coddle me around?"

Korra huffed. "You're young for your field. Which means you'll come across plenty of people that try to coddle you. So why should I be another one." Korra leaned forward. "But that means you should never expect it. You want me to treat you like an adult, you get the whole package, not just what you feel like dealing with. Agreed?"

"Y-Yeah, agreed!" Nick smiled and he looked down at the picture in his hands and the smile slowly fell. It seems even now...you still seem to follow me around. Even if these people aren't you, I still feel your cocky smile haunting me…

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
The Difference Between Boy and Machine: Part Two

Korra tilted her head, trying to look at the picture. "Friends? Family?"

Nick turned the picture around to show Korra of Melinda leaning on him. "Neighbor... though a really close friend... she... she died. Recently. I miss her so much..."

Korra nodded. "I see. She must have been really special. Exactly how close were you?"

"I'm unfortunately starting to find out not close enough. It wasn't until after she died I realized how much I actually...loved her. She was always so open about her feelings for me and I was too much of a wimp to accept or return them. One of the biggest mistakes of my life..."

Korra shrugged. "Well, in my experience, when you're that close to someone, they usually know. So... if that means anything to you..." She sighed. "Do you mind if I ask... how..."

"She had a terminal heart disease. She was doomed from birth but...she never let her symptoms get to her. She was always happy and cheerful... never letting me get down about anything, whether it was bad guys at school, a bad test grade, or how horrible I was at playing instruments at the time. She was...the most awesome person I ever knew..." A couple of tears fell from Nick's chin and nose, onto the picture frame.

Korra watched him for a few moments, looking between him and the picture, knowing not to say anything, at least for a bit. Finally, she said, "She left a good, strong friend to caring on for her. One she left plenty of lessons with. Like how to not let the pains you face weigh you down. Or how to not hold back, because you never know when you'll miss a chance." She lowered her head to look Nick in the eye. "Did she know about you being in the XSDF?"

"I didn't want her to... but being the little weasel she was, and admittedly my carelessness, she found out and I told her. She was... really shocked, and even angry at first but after we talked she...understood why I needed it. Even so... she was so heartbroken before I shipped out. I guess I know why now but... I didn't at the time. I guess that was why she..." Nick trembled a bit.

Korra leaned forward a bit. "Why she what?"

Nick sighed deeply and he ran a hand through his hair. "S-She...kissed me... before I boarded the ship. She didn't even say anything... she just smiled at me like she always did when she teased me. I-I swear... I must have been as red as your hair..."

Korra laughed. "Well... she wouldn't have done that if she was as disappointed as you think she was. Sounds to me she was proud of you. Proud of her dear friend, and she wanted to give you a proper send off." Korra sat back. "Too bad you weren't a little older, huh?"

"W-Why do you say that?" He asked, curious as to what she meant.

Korra laughed. "Oh, come now." She leaned forward again. Way forward. "You're a guy. What do you think she could have given you as a present?"

Nick blinked a few times. "I...really don't know what you are talking about." He told her seriously.

Korra scoffed, and got right in Nicks face, her nose inches from his. "You care to find out?"

He backed away a little and said, holding up his hands defensively. "I really don't know what I would be agreeing to find out... what are you getting at?"

Korra giggled. "I can see why she liked teasing you." She sat back and nodded. "It's for the best. You shouldn't worry about that kind of thing until you're at least nineteen. And I can honestly say... might be nice to have a younger friend." She cupped her hand, pretending to whisper. "Aside from a few good ones, a lot of men are pigs. Make sure you're one of the good ones."

Nick nodded, "U-Uh...I really don't understand but...okay, I will try."

"Good." Korra stood up and stretched her arms. "There's... one last thing I wanted to mention. About a... mutual acquaintance."

"Who?"
Korra thought for a moment. "Didn't catch his name. Or I was too mad at the time to remember it." She shrugged. "Point is, we had a disagreement about you. And he kinda pissed me off. Going on about... not helping you and... defending yourself. I literally wanted to... strangle him!" She lifted her hands in a choking fashion before letting out a deep, long sigh. "But... beneath his arrogance... beneath his pompous pigheadedness... it almost sounded like he... cared about you. He just thought you should have handled things in a way that was... vastly different than what I thought."

"Wait, does he have a pink streak in his hair?" Nick asked, figuring he knew who she was talking about.

Korra nodded. "That's him. My point is, if and when he comes to you, please... don't think any less of him if you agree with me... or me if you agree with him..." She smiled. "I'd love nothing more to kick his ass all over this ship. He needs someone to take him down a peg. But... for someone who seemed so full of himself, he sure had a lot of nice things to say about you."

"Is it bad he creeps me out a little?" Nick joked, shrugging his shoulders. "He really is a nice guy though... I just hate his ego, but then again, all my friends growing up were timid so I guess I can't expect a lot..." Nick got an idea and his face brightened. "Wanna see something cool I have been working on?"

Korra nodded. "Yeah. What do want to show me?"

Nick got off his stool and he walked over to a machine he had lying on the ground in the middle of his workshop. Taking a deep breath, he reached to the computer on his wrist and activated the code, Clunker taking a moment to whir up but ultimately nothing happened. "Oh...come on buddy..." He placed his hand on the machine, hoping he had finally gotten enough right. As if out of nowhere, the machine's humming got louder and stabilized, the large hulk of a drone standing up. It still took Nick aback he had gotten him to start up without blowing something up but now he finally got the project off the ground, literally.

Korra nodded. "Not bad. You make this yourself?"

"For two years... but now I found I need to call some people in to help. Not what I really wanted but I have to for him to wor-" Nick's body jolted as if his body was shocked with a bolt of lightning and he fell to the ground unconscious.

Korra immediately dropped to his side, lifting his head into her lap. "Hey, what happened?" She looked up. "You, um... robot! I'm... Glitch. Is he okay?"

Glitch floated down and began a scan on Nick, his normally even and emotionless tone sounding worried. "Mr. Cauthon needs medical attention immediately. Oh no...this is worse than before..."

Korra hefted him on to her back, and rushed out of Engineering past several confused people, Glitch close behind. As she ran, she asked, "What's worse? What's wrong with him?"

"Mr. Cauthon has suffered a seizure of a scale I have not seen as of yet. Usually it takes a while for his implant to show signs of negative effects when plugged into a drone but he had never attempted it before on the more massive drone that had been laying in his workshop. If we do not hurry, I fear he may..." Glitch stayed silent and just said, "We had best hurry."

Korra picked up her speed, moving fast enough for Glitch to struggle to keep up. She skidded across the ground in front of the infirmary, nearly toppling over as she stopped. Rushing inside, she yelled. "Gotta... uh... gotta teenage human, male... with implants! Something about a seizure from trying to hook up to a big drone! Tin can has the details. Come on, anyone working here?!"

A group of doctors ran from around the corner and took Nick in their arms, running off to get him an room in intensive care. Glitch floated off to go inform the doctor's of his condition, leaving Korra alone.

Korra sighed, and took a seat. She pulled out a small communicator, typing a message that she wouldn't make her next training session, and leaned back, closing her eyes.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
The Difference Between Boy and Machine: Part Three

A couple of hours passed, doctors, nurses, and patients alike coming in and out. Four passed until one of the male doctors, a dark skinned man approached Korra and tapped her awake.

Korra slowly opened her eyes, looking around. "Where am I? I..." She snapped awake, and jumped to her feet. "Where is he? What happened?"

The doctor's face looked sullen, and he began to speak. "We managed to stabilize him and he is currently asleep right now. We got lucky this time... I won't lie to you, if you had taken longer to get here... he would have died without a doubt."

Korra slowly sank back into her seat. "Okay... okay, um... what now? How do you make sure this doesn't happen again?"

"We can't, unfortunately. Nicholas is the only one with the specific design specs for his implants, so only he will be able to fix whatever is wrong. For now...we keep him here and monitor his condition. You may see him if you want."

Korra nodded. "If he's healthy and awake enough for it."

"Mind if... I see him too?" Asked a blond woman with a slight British accent.

"Well... you can at least visit. If any changes with him, be sure to inform one of the nurses." The doctor said as he walked away. "Room 3 in the ICU. Just ask a nurse to open the door for you, it is protected with a keycard."

"Keycard?" Korra walked to the appropriate room, asking out loud, "What kind of tech does he have in that head of his?"

"Good question," Alice said, sighing. "Of maybe... it's because they don't want to lose someone so young."

"Maybe they're afraid he'll run." Korra waved down a nurse. "Can we get in here?"

The nurse looked at the two women and nodded, walking up to the panel and swiping her card. "To answer your question, the key card security is for the comfort of the patients, so that no...unwanted people are allowed to enter to disturb them." As the door open she added as she walked away, "And to keep them from running."

Korra and Alice walked into the room, slowly closing the door behind them. Korra approached Nick's bed first, Alice staying by the door.

Nick was asleep, several tubes running from his arms and the heart beat monitor reading normally, if not a little slower than usual. The engineer seemed to have lost much of his color and if he looked small before, he looked even smaller now.

Alice turned away, as if in pain. As Korra sat next to him, she asked, "How do you know him?"

"I assist him in engineering part-time," Alice answered.

"An assistant?" Korra looked back. "Then where were you?"

Alice flinched. "I... I-I've been busy helping to repair our fighters. I... I-I didn't realize he was so... vulnerable..."

Korra looked away, hiding a guilty expression. "It... it's okay. I barely know him. I don't even know why I'm here, but... I feel like I should be."

"...I-I'm glad..." Nick said very weakly, his eyes only opening very slightly.

Korra smiled gently, a rare look for her. "Hey there. You scared us for a while there."

"...I-I..." Nick looked about to drop out of consciousness again but he held on. "...sorry. D-Di-...Did I... hear... A-Alice?" He asked, unable to look very far in the room, only up close without his glasses on.
Alice quickly walked up to the bed, and gently grasped Nick's hand. "I'm so sorry, Nick. Why... why didn't you tell me you were... that this... that this could happen? I would have never signed up for those shifts in the fighter bays."

"...B-Because... I knew... you would... worry." The edge of Nick's lips turned up only slightly, but he tried his best to smile. "I am... glad... I could see you."

Alice nodded. "You'll see more of me from now on, I promise." She shook her head. "And I'm going to do something about this too, if I can."

Nick tried to move but found he was too weak to do anything, let alone move any part of his body. "W-What do you... mean?" He asked with concern.

Alice squeezed his hand slightly. "You of all people know you aren't the first pre-adult to have implants. I'm trying to get a hold of Dr. Randolf's files on her implants. But neither the XSDF or Cross Tech have the full files. Only two people do. I'm in contact with the Earth to see if I can get them from the Pentagon, or to see if I can find where Dr. Randolf is so I can get them directly from her."

Nick's eyes widened as much as he could manage. 'Y-You...really shouldn't... I mean... I am not that special... for you to try and use such resources... to help me. I knew the risks... of my prototype. I knew... at any moment... I could drop dead." Nick's grip loosened from Alice as he tried to battle the extreme weariness he had.

Alice shook her head. "Really, it's nothing for a fan of Dr. Randolf." She frowned. "Granted... I'm not sure how much the files will help. Hers were originally implanted nearly three decades ago with pre-war tech... but if there is anything in those files that can help you improve your own implants, it is worth a try, right?"

Nick was reluctant at first but as he tried to take a deep breath, he nodded his head. "Al...Alright..." He told them.

Korra took a deep breath. "I think we're going to let you get some rest. But we expect your little robot to keep us informed about your condition."

Glitch turned to look at Korra. "Indeed. I will be monitoring Nicholas at all hours of the day from now until he is well enough to leave." The A.I. went down next to the engineer's bed.

Nick closed his eyes and he thought of one last thing. "H-Hey Korra... can you... come close for a second...?"

Korra leaned forward. "What is it, buddy?"

It took any strength Nick was able to muster, but he lifted his arms and weakly put them around Korra to bring her into a little hug. "Y-Y..." Nick let out a deep breath, being fairly exhausted. "You've... done so much... for me... I can... never thank you enough..." He pressed his cheek against hers, his exhaustion taking over and causing the teen to slip back into sleep with his arms still around Korra.

Korra smiled as she placed Nick into a comfortable position. She stepped out of the room with Alice, the latter asking, "Why are you crying?"

Korra raised her hand to her cheek, looking at the moisture on her fingers. "I... I'm not sure." She grinned. "Guess I'm just tired..."

Last edited:

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and FrostLich1228
"Follow Up" Part One

Medical Center, room of Nicolas Cauthon.
Feb. 15th, 1830 Hours

Winter had heard the whisperings from the other doctors that she usually sat with at lunch of a young boy who suffered what they believed was a serious seizure. Some of them were voicing their thoughts on it, one saying that she didn’t even know they let people that young on the ship. Camellia recognized the name of the kid when it came up over conversation as she had did a little research and made a file for him after the incident. She had learned of his history of seizures before so she knew it had to be the same person, she decided to pay him a visit, he was her patient after all, she wanted him to know she genuinely cared about his well being and maybe that would help him open up to her just a little bit more.

After her shift, she stopped by the Med desk, getting permission to see him and picking up a card that gave directions to his room. Once she reached the door, she scanned the card on a small pad to the right of it, opening the door and giving her the first glimpse of the kid in his bed, not being sure if he was awake or not. She took a few steps in slowly, not wanting to startle him by accident.

Nick was in a light sleep, several tubes running from his arms and the heart beat monitor reading normally. If the engineer was normally pale before, he looked like a ghost now. His breathing was light and he looked even more frail. A small object was floating near Nick, just watching the engineer.

Her expression fell a little, walking up to his bed and taking a look at the doctor’s notes. She looked up from the notes for a second and took a look at the object, taking a few steps closer.

Glitch kept his eye trained at Nick, not really noticing Camellia had entered until she was right next to him, causing the A.I. to jump. “May I help you ma’am?”

“Oh! You talk…” Winter gave it a little smile, “I’m Camellia… I’m just here to see how he was doing.”

Glitch looked the therapist up and down, examining her. “What is your relation to my master?”

“Well… Last week he ran into me in the hall looking pretty upset, so as the base psychiatrist I wanted to help him. He crashed in my office until he cheered up and I let him on his way, telling him he could call me whenever if he wanted to talk.” Winter explained, “Your Master, huh? Some sort of assistant?”

“Assitant, yes. He does not like it when I call him master though. It makes him feel like he owns me, even though I never think of him badly. I mainly monitor his health condition and act as he likes to call, ‘his closest friend’.”

“So he had to create his closest friend… That’s pretty depressing, guess that’s why we was so hesitant to tell me anything, must not have much trust for other people, especially someone he just met.” Camellia thought out loud, “If you watch over his health then why weren’t you with him when he ran into me?”

“I am a machine, and thus I need regular maintenance.” He stated matter-of-factly.

“So you have some sort of automated repair sequence I take it? Explains how he can repair you without actually being there.” Camellia replied.

“No, you get it wrong. Unless I have constant maintenance on my programming, it starts to deteriorate. After too long, I would simply not exist anymore. I can start it myself, but need Mr. Cauthon helps to examine what is present and fix whatever may be wrong.”

“So, is he alright? He hasn’t been in here for very long so there isn’t much in the doctor’s notes.” Winter asked, looking at the tubes and machines.

“He is… stable.” Glitch stated with worry.

“Well, that’s go-” Faint noises could be heard from outside the room, interrupting her sentence.

“Hey! Watch where you’re going!” A deep male voice spoke.

“You should’ve probably moved, who just stands on the corner with a cart?” Another, higher male voice responded.

“Someone who’s on his break, asshole.” The deep voice said.

“You’ll get over it, don’t cry over spilled coffee.” The lighter voice became louder as a man with a pink streak through his hair open the door with his card. Looking around the room, James saw a familiar robot, and an short-haired Tamaerin woman, “Oh, I guess I expected this room to be empty… No offense to the kid.”
Glitch floated up to James and eyed the man for a second. “May I request why you are here?”

“I…” He swallowed a little, “He’s one of the only friends I have here alright? We’ve been here for a month now and the only people that can stand me are him and another soldier, and we’re more like rivals than anything.”

“Yes… well, Mr. Cauthon is recovering. I would prefer no one be here but I see that is impossible. Just do not do anything that will require me to have you escorted out.” The A.I. assistant warned plainly.

“Who’s your friend?” He said, looking over at the girl, “Another Tamaerin?”

Camellia shook her head, “Nope, human.”

James didn’t seem very convinced by her response, “Ears?”

“Cosmetic. I just like how elves look.” Camellia replied, “Turns out it just so happens to make me look like an alien race.”

“Hmm.” James looked over at Nick, “Kid’s tough, has a seizure just after he gets the shit beat out of him and is still kicking. Sort of.”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and FrostLich1228
"Follow Up" Part Two

“Mr. Cauthon is tougher than he may seem, though I do wish he would stop pushing limits… he is still fragile.” The A.I. said, most to himself as reassurance.

“Don’t worry. When he gets out of the hospital I’m going to personally toughen him up a little, then he won’t have to worry about people just knocking him out before he can do anything.” James replied.

“Wait… He get’s beaten up and you just want him to fight them more? That really smart?” Winter replied.

“I’ll tell you the same thing I told that Red-Head who tried to choke me. If they see that you’re better than them then they won’t try to attack you again, the kid is smart enough to get the better of them, they’ll learn not to fuck with him after he’s showed them who’s the boss…” James pinched the bridge of his nose, “It’s like this one ancient movie I watched where this kid defends his home from robbers by planting traps… Was a little cartoony but the same concept applies. Except with bullets. or maybe a taser.”

“Absolutely not.” Glitch told James, having no way to show facial expressions but his tone enough to show his disapproval. “You will do no such thing. Mr. Cauthon is allowed to be however he wants, without anyone trying to change him.” The assistant protested.

“I can’t force him to do anything, but if he listens to me he might avoid a couple more broken ribs in the future… This isn’t the kind of ship where you can just go running to someone for help… I’ve heard what the Commander’s like, if he goes up to her and explains, I wouldn’t be surprised if she just told him to toughen up at best and get the fuck off the ship at worst.” James sighed, “He needs to fight back, because while beating the guys up for him helps during that day, what about tomorrow, or a week, or a month later? Help is fine, but not in such a direct way, we could train him, teach him how to defend himself, but he has to be the one to deal with it.”

Glitch analyzed what was said, and he got even closer to James’s face. “If you truly believe that, do you think that your family should be here fighting pirates alongside you? or your best friend, or anyone else close to you. By your logic, you should not even be here. If you truly want to believe that ideology, there should be no armies and we should revert ourselves back to the days of the Old West where everyone has a weapon and there is no law. Is that truly what you want? Do you want some little girl on the front lines alongside you fighting so she doesn’t have to deal with pirates?” Glitch was silent for a few moments and dared a few centimeters closer. “Because that is the reality in which you think people should live.”

James folded his arms, considering the conversation pointless, and because he wasn’t sure what else to say. Winter stayed quiet, unsure how to responded since her mother had gained political power before she ever really had to deal with bullies to this extreme, her mothers tried to defend her, but then again she always felt that they might’ve protected her a little too much.

There was a movement from the bed, and the teen groaned as if he was waking up from a dream, having to keep his eyes narrowed as the light in the room hurt his eyes. “W-Who’s there…?”

James smirked, “Hey! It’s your buddies! And… Your…”

“Therapist.” Camellia finished for him.

“Right.”

Nick slowly turned his head and had to wait for his vision to clear up, still a little hard to see without his glasses. “W-What are… you guys doing here?”

“Well, I heard about what happened from my doctor friends and decided to pay a visit, all my patients are important to me after all.” Camellia responded, “ And I think he’s here because apparently you’re the only one that can stand him.”

“Hey, an adult man and an underage teenager that’ve only really talked once need to stick together. You know, the more I say that the more it makes me seem like a pedophile… A stylish pedophile, but… still creepy.” James said, pointing at him for a second before lowering his arm slowly.

“I think for once we agree on something.” Glitch stated bluntly.

Nick gave a small smile and said weakly, “Thanks… for visiting…”

“Of course.” James said, reaching his hand into his pocket and touching the drive he was planning to give to Nick. Fancypants shook his head slightly, deciding that now wasn’t the best time.

Nodding his head slightly, Nick asked, “Was there… anything specific you... guys wanted from me? The meds they… got me on are.. pretty strong and I am… always exhausted…”

“Were not here to ask anything of you, we’re just here to say hello and remind you to not push yourself so hard next time.” Winter smiled.

“Oh… alright… yeah…” The teen returned the smile and he tried to get comfortable in his bed, not being able to move much.

“Are you hungry? I’m sure it’s around lunchtime and a single call can get you a plate of your favorite food.” Camellia suggested.

“I don’t… have much of an appetite right now… but thanks anyways.”

Glitch turned to look at Camellia. “Perhaps something small would be best advised, as well as fluids.”

“I wonder if they have one of those tablets that turn your drink gold… Useful? Not at all. Make you look like you’re drinking gold? A+” Fancypants chuckled.

“That sounds… really stupid…” Nick stated with a small chuckle of his own.

“I know! Rich people are great aren’t they?” Fancypants added, finally taking a seat.

Mangrale

The Mark in the Market

XSDF Progessus Colony
New Manaus, Central Marketplace
February 15, 2044

The market bustled with the disorderly traffic of numerous people. The humid air was thick with the conversations of many hagglers and customers; isolating a single word was not impossible, but still rather difficult. The pathways between lines of shaded stalls were very spacious, enough so that some food stands could accommodate the dining of a few patrons. It was in front of a particular establishment that specialized in the sale of terrestrial fruits that Narcisse settled in his rigid, stackable chair, arms folded on his medium-sized table. His traveller’s bag was placed on the ground, between his feet, for lack of a better place.

If I only had my datapad, the time would just fly by, but I get the feeling that might not end well around here, he thought with a sigh of impatience. He casually eyed any passerby that walked by him, being sure to avoid eye contact.

“Excuse me, sir?” queried a male human server dressed in a simple apron and carrying a paper tray of chopped pieces of cantaloupe. “Your order?”

“Ah, y-yes! Thank you.” Narcisse reached with both hands and took the tray from him, bowing his head swiftly in the affirmative.

Wasting little time, Narcisse unwrapped his disposable fork and went right to eating his order, savoring every bite until his surroundings faded into momentary obscurity.

He would have started to enjoy himself if it wasn’t for him noticing, out of the corner of his eye, two young human children around nine years old, one boy and one girl, appearing to his left, opposite the passing crowds. They seemed playful and sported big smiles to that effect. The boy had blonde hair and had a white bandage patch on his right cheek, whereas the girl was slightly smaller in size with short black hair.

“Hey, mister!” the boy started, trying to get his attention.

Bellrose, on the other hand, found the encounter quite unwelcome, so he unaffectedly placed another piece of fruit in his mouth to chew for a few seconds, hoping beyond all hope that the problem would sort itself out.

Getting impatient, the boy tugged on the pilot’s left sleeve repeatedly, to which Narcisse jerked his arm back and glared at the two of them.

“What do you want?” he said, less than amused.

The young boy pointed a thumb to his own chest and said in a raised voice, “Well, I’m here to ask you something!” He then pointed accusingly at the little girl. “She’s just here to eat your food!”

“Hey!” the girl exclaimed while she punched her friend in the shoulder, clearly embarrassed.

Narcisse groaned, realizing this would take longer than he thought. “Fine, what is your question then?”

“Are you with the XSDF?” the boy inquired eagerly.

“What’s it to you if I am?” Narcisse raised an eyebrow.

“Hey! I asked you first!” the kid countered.

“Yeah? Well my answer is conditional...” Bellrose said with crossed arms. “...please understand,” he ended in a patronizing manner.

The boy pouted, growing irritated. “I just think they’re cool is all! You don’t have to be a jerk about it.”

“Fine! I am, okay! Happy now!” Narcisse pleaded, his right hand breaking away in a fist.

“Hey, what happened to your hand?” the girl spoke up finally, pointing to it.

Narcisse and her friend both looked at her, the boy with a slightly worried expression, that the frenchman caught for a second.

Narcisse lightened his mood, pulling back his left sleeve and motioning for the children to get closer for a better look.

“Whoa, I thought it was a glove,” the boy said after a small gasp in amazement.

The pilot looked to delight in their marveling. “No, it’s real alright. Wanna know how this happened to me?” He leaned forward in his chair.

The children nodded enthusiastically.

“Well you see kids, I used to be a professional slots player in America. I was doing pretty well for myself too, until I ran into a string of bad luck.” Narcisse raised his right index finger and gazed upward, as if to add credence to his story. “One thing led to another and before you know it, I had to sell my own body, quite literally I might add.”

“Oh that’s so sad…” the girl said earnestly, gripping her left wrist with her right hand. Narcisse tried to keep it together, but accidentally let a miniscule trace of amusement leave his nose.

“You liar! That’s not how it happened!” the boy wined, his face turning red.

“Oh yeah? Prove it,” the pilot replied, clearly having fun at this point.

The boy uttered an angry groan while Narcisse tried to cover his mouth as he laughed.

“Okay-okay, I’m sorry. I was just having fun with you two,” he said, recovering. “What are your names? My name is Narcisse.”

Recovering as well, the boy turned to the girl and back at him. “Whatever you say, Narcy! The name’s Silva and she’s Celeste.” She waved her hand shyly.

“Well it was fantastic meeting both of you!” Narcisse exclaimed bringing his hands together exaggeratedly. “Now if you don’t mind leaving me alone so I can eat in peace.” He turned to his cantaloupe again only see Celeste timidly step forward, gazing at his tray, a finger near her mouth.

Narcisse sighed, but this time with a smile. “Looks like he wasn’t kidding about you after all. Would you like a piece?”

Celeste blushed and widened her eyes innocently, which in itself gave him the answer. “U-um, c-can you please feed me some?...” she asked timidly.

He was taken aback for a moment, but somehow couldn’t bring himself to refuse her request.

“Okay…” he answered with a sense of surprise. He then leaned towards her to carefully extend individual segments for her to eat. For every piece she ate, she’d hum in delight, prompting Narcisse to hand feed her another. He did a nonchalant, swift glance away. Hmmm...

“You are hungry aren’t you, Celeste? You really lucked out running into me then. Though I’d advise you not to try this on everyone you meet,” he squinted his eyes. “Who knows who you can trust...”

In an instant, Narcisse fit his right foot in the shoulder strap of his bag and kicked to sling it under and passed the table by a foot as he heard a startled yelp from Silva, who jumped from behind the seat only to meet Narcisse’s disposable, plastic butter knife pointed at him. Celeste hesitated and rushed over to retrieve the bag. But Narcisse stood up, grabbed the paper tray with his left hand, and toppled the table over the bag with his leg, stalling her for a moment. This gave him time to dive for it, tipping the table on its head as he rolled over it, before the two kids could react.

Bellrose jolted to his feet, feeling triumphant over his victory over two young children. Yet his internal celebration was cut short as he noticed a crowd forming around him and the kids. If that wasn’t enough, he realized that he misplaced his tray, which he then found in Silva’s hands. The two kids giggled mischievously between themselves and started eating the remaining pieces of melon. “Later Narcy!” Silva taunted, pulling Celeste along with him. Since the people were focused on the strange foreigner, there was nothing to stop the kids from disappearing into the crowd. An awkward silence fell upon the scene; Narcisse struggling to think of something to diffuse the situation.

“Uuummm… I … tripped?” he suggested, a nervous smile on his face. “I-I’ll just clean this up a-and leave… Sorry! Sorry everyone!” All eyes were on him while he replaced the chair and table. He then paid the price for his meal with tip and hurriedly left, making sure he wasn’t followed along the way.

From afar, the kids watched their former mark walk away from the market.

“Hmph! I bet that idiot didn’t have anything good in that bag anyway. Now his pistol: that’s where the money is! Papa said all these XSDF guys carry at least a normal one whenever they visit a place like this. 'Get their gun - get everything they got.' (sigh) Oh well, next time.” Silva turned and started walking but noticed Celeste still watching the pilot. “C’mon Celeste! We got time for one more. And this time, try to focus, okay?” He removed the bandage patch from his plain cheek so he could scratch the area with his other hand.

Celeste continued to stare worriedly after the man for a moment, right hand around her left wrist. “Stay safe…” she whispered before rejoining her friend.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53
Sahc-diy-deuh: Part One

Orbit around Progressus (January 16th, 2044)
The Einherjar (12:54 P.M., Earth Standard)
Gym 1

Kallpa finished up the meal he had brought with him into the gym. He had wanted to take a break from exercise for about an hour while he waited, but for today he preferred to not go into the loud and noisy mess hall. Placing down his plate on the side of the bench and picking up a water canteen, he took a drink and then got back to business, cracking his knuckles and beginning a set of push-ups.

A man walked in front of the entrance and pointed towards Kallpa. A few moments later, Korra stepped in and cautiously approached him. Not wanting to break his concentration, she waited for him to notice her.

Finishing the second exercise in his routine, his gaze drifted over to where Korra was, and he stood up. "Uh... Korra? Is that you?" What's with the hair?

Korra nodded. "And your name was Kallpa Vizcarra, right?"

The gunner nodded, rubbing the back of his neck briefly. "I was wondering if I'd meet you again... I was hoping we didn't start off on the wrong foot."

Korra nervously twirled a black lock. "That was... mostly my fault. Which is why I was dealing you out. I... I feel like I never properly apologized. You know, for my... rude implications." She smiled. "And my actions afterwards."

"It's alright." Kallpa sat down on the bench. "I just didn't want to go rushing into anything. Did you... dye your hair?"

Korra lightly shook her head. "No. My people's woman have this... thing every two months that traps our powers in our bodies. It makes our hair turn black... amongst other side effects." She sat down next to him, a little closer then one normally would.

Don't get any ideas Kallpa, approach this carefully and steadily. "So you can't use psionics? Seems like a vulnerability, unless the other side effects negate that," Kallpa noted, trying to keep himself talking to distract his mind from other things.

Korra shook her head. "Nope. Just more vulnerabilities. Namely, a loss of emotional control. Obviously, since I already lack that, I have a leg up on other Tamearins, though I do become more... subdued? I think that's the word." She sighed. "The lack of psionics is enough of a vulnerability for me, though."

"I doubt you're going to be sent on a mission anytime soon, so you should be good," Kallpa responded, smiling slightly. "Though I think you'd be able to hold your own even without those abilities, judging by what I saw on the video feeds."

"Thank you. But you're being kind." Korra rubbed the back of her neck. "I froze up out there. Needed a teammate to tell at me to get moving. I'm... just happy I didn't get anyone killed."

"Believe me, I was just as scared as you were out there," Kallpa admitted, shaking his head. "I've just had to go through a life or death situation or two, so I was more able to deal with it," he explained, glancing at his metal arm briefly, but not with any regret in his expression.

Korra nodded. "Does it... get easier?" She chuckled to herself. "I... I spent five years in training. Five years running drills. Holographic training. Weapons training. But... when I was actually out there, it... it was completely different. Does that make any sense?"

"It's the same way with any defense force. It's one thing when you know you're not really going to die if you fail a simulation, but it's another on the field. I'd say you do get used to fighting against your fear, at the very least. That's what courage is, after all," Kallpa reassured her. "I suppose that's why Walker had such guts. He was trained by shinobi, and I imagine they don't mess around when it comes to training. Even instruction can be life or death."

Korra thought for a moment. "That's... Desmond Walker, right? One of his sons is my roommate. Another is a young friend of his. I believe you met her when we first met."

"That's the one," Kallpa answered. "And I did meet Cayden, though I feel like I came off as a fanboy to him...

Korra smiled and tilted her head slightly. "What's a fanboy... if I might ask. You mean... like you were a, uh... a fan?" She frowned, wondering if she just answered her own obvious question.

Kallpa chuckled. "I look up to his father, so it was a bit awkward for Cayden when I was so surprised to meet Desmond's son."

Korra thought for a moment, then smiled herself. "I... I think I understand. Can I tell you a small secret?"

The Incan shrugged. "Sure. I have no reason to tell anyone what you tell me."

Korra gave him a nervous grin. "I read about this Humiliata from the war. She was... different from the others. Young but strong. Willing to fight her own people. I... I always hoped I'd meet her someday. I probably think of her the way you think of Walker."

Kallpa smiled. "You mean Death? Er... Tiala. Honestly, she'd be easier to approach than Walker, who seems to be as much of a hermit as you can be in this day and age. Never had the guts to try and find out where he lives exactly."

Korra shrugged. "Well... I only know he lives somewhere called America. But his son seems pretty easy to talk to. And I know O'Brien wouldn't mind telling you. Maybe it... would be something to look forward to after Forseti."

Kallpa nodded. "Maybe, it is something I would definitely follow up on. Though that won't be for awhile, at least."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sahc-diy-deuh: Part Two

"Yeah." Korra nervously rubbed her arms. "Listen, I... I'm usually not this... easy to deal with. It is when I'm like this that I realize how difficult I can be at other times. I just want you to know that I am sorry for the way I talked to you before."

Kallpa smiled. "And I told you it's fine. It didn't break me or sully my opinion of you. Just... try to take things a little slower if you're actually interested in someone. Getting in bed with them after just meeting them almost guarantees the failure of a relationship."

"I... was trying to apologize in... my way. Though my friends have been clear that it is looked down on. Especially my one roommate when I..." Korra bit her lip, looking a bit guilty. "Flirted with her brother in... in front of her."

Kallpa looked at her incredulously for a moment. "That... may not have been the best of ideas. But I get that its hard for you to learn how to integrate into a mostly human crew. We're still working on getting Tabitha to come out of her shell in the White Wolves, but I think we're making good progress." The gunner smirked. "And since you're from the Greyhounds, I suppose that makes us friendly rivals or something like that."

Korra grinned. "That sounds nice. I... I've never had one of those before. Might be nice to have someone I can both work with and work to beat. And... such a strong friend."

"I can agree with you if you mean in terms of strength, but you can be just as courageous as me, if not more so," Kallpa contested.

Korra tilted her head slightly. "I... don't understand. You said you lost your arm in a bank robbery, helping innocent people. I thought that was considered brave on your world."

Kallpa scratched his head. "I guess, but I don't want to brag about it or anything."

Korra laughed. "No one said to brag. But you did something heroic. So you should feel heroic. It is... inspirational. Something to look up to. I'm sure Mr. Walker would agree, don't you?"

Oh, come on. That's not even playing fair. "Funnily enough, he lost one of his arms in a similar fashion. I think having your limb torn off by a chryssalid is a lot more painful than an autolaser, though."

"What? Really?" Korra gave a pained looked, instinctually rubbing her own arm. "Still, yours must have sucked too." Her eyes wondered towards the metal arm in question. "Can... can I see it?"

"If you want to." Kallpa shifted so that his cybernetic arm was more visible to Korra, the metal limb continuing up until just below the shoulder, attached to it seemingly seamlessly. Though, in all likelyhood, the band between flesh and metal likely hid whatever the side effects of linking the technology to organic matter were, whether it was scar tissue or connective biotech. The limb seemed fairly human, if not meant to perfectly emulate a real arm due to its combat functionality.

"Wow..." Korra's eyes danced across it, as did a finger. "Can you feel this? Or anything?"

Kallpa chuckled. "I can feel it, though not as acutely as a normal limb. That's what the synthetic ones are for, since from what I was told, the artificial skin and emulated muscle helps transmit the sensory impulses better."

Korra nodded. "Cool..." She looked away, blushing a bit. "Sorry. I... because of how my people are, I... I've never seen one up close like this. It... it's kinda cool. Not that... I'm all that eager to get one myself."

"I wouldn't recommend it anyway." Kallpa thought for a moment. "I am curious, though... humanity has the Aeternam solution to extend our lifespans, but do the Tamear have anything like that, or do you choose to live shorter lives to avoid genetic modification as much as possible?"

Korra thought for a moment. "You know... to be honest, I'm not sure. I'm only twenty-one, so I'd only start using it now. I don't think we have our own, but we know of yours." She wrinkled her nose a bit. "I... hope they'd use It. It would be pretty silly not to for our silly taboos. Do you... think it would work for my people?"

"I'm not a scientist," Kallpa was quick to respond. "But... pretty much everyone is taught about it in school, since it's as essential these days as food. If it makes human cells last longer and continue to reproduce for as long as possible, along with extending biological functions by optimizing the human lifespan.. I don't see why the same couldn't apply to Tamaerins. Your race is probably closer to ours than any other."

"And it works for the Humiliata, since that's where Exalt got the inspiration," Kallpa added.

Korra nodded, at sat in silence for a few moments. She cleared her throat, and asked, "Do... do you think they have it on board? I mean... they must, right?"

"You want to test it out?" Kallpa raised an eyebrow. "They do have in onboard considering its a monthly pill, but I don't know that it's ever been tested on your race. You'd have to consult with the scientific staff, I think."

"Well, I... I don't know. It... it would have to be tested on someone. And considering what my people are like, there probably is be many volunteers."

"I'm sure they could run some test using cells without the whole body or something... you don't have to risk your life just to see if it works," Kallpa insisted.

Korra thought about it, and nodded. "Good point. I think I'll donate some of my DNA. Then... we'll see." She grinned. "Thanks for the idea. And looking out for me."

Kallpa smiled. "I do hope we can spend some more time together in the future." The smile became a smirk. "And trust me, I'll figure out how to deal with you, whether your hair's black, red, or blue.

"Good." Korra stood up, and leaned close to Kallpa's face. "I hope you'll remember that. I don't think I have to tell you, but I can be a handful. But I'm sure you can handle it, Vizcarra.

Kallpa seemed to sweat a little. "I-I will remember, and like I said, I'll figure out a way to handle you."

"Good." Korra leaned forward, lightly kissing Kallpa on the cheek. "See you later, Vizcarra. Don't be a stranger."

Kallpa just waved to her as she left, being a little too starstruck at the moment to say anything.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Love and Resent

Orbit around Progressus (January 16th, 2044)
The Einherjar (2:13 P.M., Earth Standard)
Comms room

Cayden got comfortable in his chair, looking at the screen as he type in the address to call home in the comms room, There were a few others but he had his privacy for the most part. With his time at the Rangers, he had called home dozens of times, whenever he was free or got back from a mission to let them know he was alright. It never got easier with time, he was always nervous, especially when he didn’t know who was going to pick up.

To his surprise, and admittedly relief, his sister Bethany was sitting at the computer and when she saw Cayden, she gave him a small wave as he brushed some black hair out of her eye and pushed up her glasses. “Hello Cayden, enjoying the service?”

His look softened, his worry that his father, or worse, mother would be the one to pick up melting away. “Dull. Haven’t gotten out to fight yet, a few scraps in the ring but nothing serious.” The soldier sighed, “Training and even more training. How is school going since I left?”

“Studying and even more studying.” She said, mocking her brother. “It has been just...’meh’ is the best word. Nothing happens in high school, especially in my school.”

“You go to a public high school for rich kids and those whose parents are important politicians or community members, how could it not be fun?”

“Too...’posh’. Everyone is either stuck up or weird. It...it sucks really.” She said looking down.

Cayden sighed and rubbed the bottom of his nose. “You aren’t having more troubles are you?”

Her head immediately shot up and she waved her hands. “N-No...there has been nothing since you and Leo helped me out. My friends are still close to me, and I have even met some new people in the freshmen class I get along with very well that I didn’t know I would ever meet.”

“That’s good, Beth. I am proud you are getting out more. Speaking of Leo, is he visiting today or is he stuck at his job again?” He asked with slight annoyance.

His sister nodded her head solemnly but she perked up again. “B-But...I also have some news!”

Cayden raised an eyebrow. “Oh? I hope it is good.”

She nodded her head again. “Yeah, it is! Um… right, so my best friend asked for my help with a project of hers after school, so I had nothing better to do and I went with her and it turned out that her crew for the drama club was short staffed, and she asked me if I could just help for the day, and so I helped late into the night, and I did, and apparently I did such a good job, they wanted me to come on for the rest of the year, and the next one as well! And...and…” Bethany was absolutely flustered with excitement.

Cayden laughed and he shook his head. “Calm down Beth, before you give yourself a heart attack, I get the point. You keep using the word ‘and’, your english teacher is going to have a fit.”

Sticking out her tongue at her brother, Bethany calmed down, though her cheeks still remained red. “Anyways, I joined the drama club. I work with the costumes and makeup together since they are such small crews in the first place.”

“Well, you are a fashionista. I am surprised you didn’t join sooner.”

“Well, that is one of the things I regret, but get this! Apparently, if I do well enough for the rest of this year and next, I have a possibility to earn a scholarship to a good school. Then, I could finally do what I want! Maybe I could be the next big fashion gurus for Hollywood!”

Her brother couldn’t help but smile at her newfound excitement and he nodded his head. “That is so amazing Bethany. I am sure if you really work hard you will get that opportunity. If I am not mistaken, Dad even knows someone who could help jumpstart your career. Work hard, and it is smooth sailing from there. Just… don’t screw up like your older brother and forget the core stuff, it really bites you when it comes to crunch time.”

She nodded her head. “Mhmm, I will. So… my much more interesting story aside, anything exciting going on with you? Meet any new friends, any old ones?”

Cayden nodded his head and sat forward. “Yeah, a lot more old ones actually. More than I ever expected. There are the Dragomirov siblings. You probably remember Mikhail but his sister Sasha too. You were too young to probably remember her. Um… if I hear rumors right, Alice is on board. I know you met her before considering I still think to this day you stole one of her dresses….”

“Hey...she lost that, I had nothing to do with it!” She said in her defense.

“Uh huh… anyways, Brigid is also on board, which probably surprised me the most.”

“OooooOoooo…. is she now?” Bethany asked.

“Yeah… she is, I just said that. And why do you have that look on your face?”

Bethany’s coy smile quickly vanished as she tucked her lips under her teeth but a smile still remained. “Noooooo reasooooon.”

“Bethany…?” He asked in an accusing tone. “What are you thinking?”

“Oh...you know… just the fact the love of your life just happens to be on the same ship.”

His face immediately reddened and he leaned forward, pointing at the screen. “That is not true and you know it! Why do you always tease me with that.”

Bethany giggled, having to wipe away another strand of hair away. “I saw you two… the way you looked at one another.”

Cayden scoffed. “You… you don’t know what you are talking about.”

Bethany snickered. “Cayden…”

“What?” He asked.

“I saw you two in the tent…”

His cheeks heated up even more and he crossed his arms. “It was six years ago, and I had just got out of a break up with someone I should have known would turn on me. Never trust cheerleaders… besides, she offered, it wasn’t like it was serious or nothing.”

“Mhmm… that why you so flustered?” She teased further.

“You can be worst than Leo sometimes… you know that?” Her brother accused, running his forehead in annoyance.

“Leave me with him long enough, and this is what you get. It is your own fault.”

“Bethany… leave your brother alone.” A deep voice said, Desmond coming into view and putting a hand on his daughter’s shoulder. “Go up to your room, I want to talk to Cayden alone.”

“‘Kay Dad. Love you Cayden!” She announced, getting up and walking off, getting to the stairs and running up them.

Desmond smiled as he watched Bethany run upstairs and he occupied the seat she had been sitting in, looking at Cayden and his smile fading a bit. “How you doing, son?”

Cayden tensed a bit and he seemed to sit up straighter, his face neutral as he spoke with his father. “Fine.”

His father looked him up and down, shaking his head. “You’re lying.”

Cayden shook his head. “Seriously, I am fine. Just no war stories to tell you if that is what you wanted from this.”

Desmond’s expression didn’t change but he sat up straight and took a deep breath. “I wasn’t asking for stories, I just wanted to know how my son was doing.”

“And I told you I was fine, nothing to it.”

The two men looked at each other, neither really knowing what the other was thinking. It was Desmond who broke the silence, scratching his goatee. “Your mother misses you, you know? She won’t stop talking about you, whether it is to me or her friends. I swear, that woman likes to brag whenever she can. Must have a superiority complex.” The two shared a smirk and Desmond also added, “Have you… fired the gun yet?”

Cayden shook his head. “No, the customs confiscated a part of the gun so it is nothing more than a decorative piece for the moment. Been just restricted to the XSDF regulated firearms.”

His father nodded and scratched his metal arm under his shirt, even though it never itched. He explained it as a ‘ghost scratch’. “I heard the Commander was a bitch.”

“D-Dad!” He said, looking around as if speaking of the devil would force her to appear.

“What? Nothing she can do to me. Besides… I have friends in high places.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t stop her from taking it out on me. You really need to think this stuff through.”

Desmond nodded. “Sorry, it always seems to be a bad habit of mine.” Wanting to change the subject, Desmond asked, “Have you been developing your psionics any further?”

“N-No… Dad, I haven’t.” Cayden spoke in a low tone of voice, obviously not wanting to talk about it.

“What about the rest of your training?”

“Same routine since the day you started to teach me.” Cayden gripped onto his pants hard, though he still looked at the screen without showing any sign of discomfort.

Desmond smiled, and he gave a single nod of approval. “Good job.” Looking down at his wrist, he cursed under his breath and looked back at Cayden. “I got to get to work, but I will try to talk to you later, alright?”

“Yeah Dad.” Cayden confirmed.

“I love you, Cayden.” Desmond said to his son.

“Yeah, I love you too… Dad.” As the screen went dark after the call ended, Cayden sat back in his chair and he put a hand over his face, rubbing it and taking a deep breath before he promptly got up and left to go blow off some steam.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Scientific Opinion (MarineAvenger and Andrammalech)

Mark walked down the hall of the soldier quarters, looking at the room numbers and stopping at the one he was looking for, knocking on it hard. He needed someone to talk to other than his sister, and Tabitha was the best bet to alleviate his boredom as she was really his only friend.

“Who is it?” Tabitha’s voice came from behind the door.

“The mailman.” Mark called out. “Come on, will you open up. I am bored and need someone to talk to.”

“Oh, I don’t know if it’s the best time…” she replied timidly, “I look different than last time…”

Mark sighed. “Tabitha, I am head of Biology. I know very well what you are going through. Besides, do you see me not wanting to be around you?”

Tabitha blushed and stepped away from the door. “Alright, come in.”

Mark entered into the room and closed the door, looking at the white-haired Tamearin. “So what are you now? Blue or red?”

“Blue.” She sat down on the bed and brushed her nearly sheer white hair, giving a tired sigh. She had been around humans enough to know that white hair was an old people thing to them, and couldn’t help being embarrassed. “It’s black when it’s supposed to be red, it probably looks nicer then.”

Mark looked at her and he said, “No, you look good with white. I don’t really mind since it is my sister’s color of choice.” He took his spot on the wall and leaned against it again. “Where are your roommates?”

“Probably partying or something, you know, the usual,” Tabitha shyly replied. “I don’t think they’ll be back for a while. I tend to have the place to myself, so that’s nice.”

“I guess I can relate. I prefer being alone in my room when I am not doing work. Besides, gives us time to talk without much interruption.” Mark took a moment before asking, “How have you been since our last meeting?”

“I’m alright, other than this,” she pointed towards her hair. “Some weird things, but nothing life-threatening…”

“What sort of weird things? If you want I could help you with anything that may require it. Do not be afraid to tell me.” He stated in a neutral tone.

“No, it’s nothing that can be helped, just weird things going on.” She thought for a moment, unsure if she wanted to share. “When I was on Progressus, Tess held my hand for a while.”

Mark was a little surprised. “Oh… I did not know you had someone. I was under the impression you were single.”

“I am!” Tabitha asserted. “She said it was ‘strategic,’ something about this guy at the spaceport. But I heard stories about her sleeping with people in her squad, and now… I don’t know, it’s weird. I seem to be attracting a lot of humans without trying, and I don’t know what to do about it.”

“Do you really see it as that much of a bad thing? You could just be making friends, or finding suitors who would like to know you more personally.”

“I’m just worried I’m leading people on or sending signals I shouldn’t be.”

“Can’t really blame yourself. Not like you are doing anything intentionally.” Mark just looked at Tabitha though deep down he was a little disappointed.

“Am I doing anything you notice? Biology kind of has something to do with that, doesn’t it? I’ve never really thought about trying to attract a human…until recently…” she said, trailing into a mumble.

“Usually in my experience, species tend to stick to one another. However, with intelligence comes the ability to distinct between a line of possibility or taboo. So in my opinion, interspecies mingling would not be uncommon between intelligent beings. What sort of attractions have you been experiencing?” He asked, now in full on scientist mode.

“Well, a lot of my customers on Luna liked me, with varying levels of sweetness. I’m not really worried about the more brash ones, but there were genuine ones. Then the whole thing with Tess, and even her patrol friend seemed like she was looking me over.”

“Could have been jealousy in the part of the woman looking you over. As for your friend Tess...well, she might have just acknowledged your beauty and used it to her advantage.”

Tabitha smiled, her skin tone deepening a little. “What else do you think they might be jealous about?”

“Well...your unique talent and admittedly quirk to change your psionic and personality type. About your willingness to help. Too few people today have that… and I would have to say those would be the two that stand out.”

“I see, and that’s your scientific opinion?”

Mark nodded. “Yes, my scientific opinion.”

“Well, I suppose I’ll try to be less threatening then, I don’t want to make anyone jealous,” Tabitha replied. “I’m not opposed to something romantic with a human, I just don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Though I sense Tess isn’t the kind to get upset over rejection.”

“Oddly specific thing to say since we are just voicing a discussion right now. Almost sounds like you are trying to say something.”

“I wouldn’t mind some advice, on how to properly court like a human. For instance, I don’t really know what the appropriate expectations or settings are for ‘dates.’”

“Well...they are universal really. There are different ways a date may go. If you feel particularly frisky, you may go somewhere highly energetic to get drunk or have a good time and go back to each other’s room for intercourse. At which point whether you continue the relationship beyond that point is up to the people.”

“I see…that might be a little forward for me, even in this state. Is that the kind of thing you would like?”

Mark blinked a few times. “No.” He stated bluntly. “As much as I have stated my regret for not taking chances I was given, I will not actively look for something between another unless they want it.”

“So it would be acceptable to do something calmer, like a meal or a morning run?”

“Of course. I was merely saying if a particular someone was feeling a certain way, was not using specifics. Really anything could be considered a date. Just merely sitting on a bed and holding eachother would be considered romantic by some. There are no real restrictions between a couple aside from their own boundaries.”

“I see, this all sounds familiar to what I knew about our own traditions. Different, but not too different,” she rubbed her chin momentarily. “And from what I’ve read and watched, most humans prefer a girl who is coy and flirtatious, correct?”

“Some do, yes.” He explained.

“So if I wanted a handsome scientist to take me on a date,” she smiled, “I would just kind of beat around the bush until something happened, right?”

“Depends on the scientist you want? Who is he?” He asked with his arms crossed.

“Well, I’ve known him on the ship for a while, and he visits me sometimes. I think he’s a biologist…”

“Well...I hope you two are happy together.” Mark said, looking away.

Tabitha slipped her hand under his arm and grabbed his own, finding it hard to keep up the ruse much longer. “He looks a lot like you, when I think about it.”

Mark tilted his head. “I didn’t think anyone on my staff resembled me.”

“I’m talking about you!” she said, squeezing his hand hard.

Mark’s eyes widened. “W-What…?” He shook his head and said, “I-I knew that.”

“It seemed like it,” she said, rubbing a hand beneath her hair. “So…what do you say?”

“What do I say…?” Mark looked at her and kept his passive look. “I say...yes.” He told her finally.

Tabitha smiled. “It’ll be fun, I think. You just have to think of somewhere fun to take me…”

“What? I am not fun enough here?” Mark asked teasingly.

“I didn’t say that,” she stated, “maybe I just want a traditional experience.”

“Want some coffee?” He asked. “I am off the rest of the day.”

“That sounds nice,” Tabitha nodded.

He took her hand and he opened the door for her. “Shall we go make the ship jealous then?”

She nodded proudly and followed along, barely able to mute her excitement.

Frostlich1228

Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53
Haunting Memories

Office of Camilla Cross
Feb. 17th, 1100 Hours

Korra sat outside of the ship's psychiatrist's office, apprehensively rocking back and forth. Several thoughts flew through her mind, including what she was even doing there. Shaking her head, she suddenly stood up, and headed for the door.

Camellia looked rather surprised to see the girl rush through the door, having not called her name, she barely even noticed her tail, "Uhm... The doctor may see you now?"

Korra stopped dead in her tracks and smiled. "Oh, um... sorry. My name is Korra Devolina. I... I got into this fight with some assholes in engineering. I got out of the brig because I was defending this teenager they were threatening, but Fred... Lt. Commander Mason thought it would help keep the Commander's eyes off me if I talked to you about my... so called anti-social behavior. Plus... O'Brien said I can trust you."

"Well, Brig is right about you being able to trust me. As a psychiatrist it's part of my job to help keep people's privacy." She smiled, "I promise I won't tell a soul."

Korra reluctantly nodded, and took a seat. "So, uh... what do I do? Do I... just talk about myself?" She gave Camilla a curious look, her eyes darting between her hair and ears.

"Let's start with some little things." Camellia responded, "My name is Camellia Cross, but you can just call me Winter if you like."

"Winter, huh?" Korra smiled. "Because of your hair, right? It, um... it looks nice."

"So does yours!" Camellia replied, "So, I guess I'll tell you a little bit about me first. I was born on Earth in the city of New York, my mother's were both veterans of the XCOM project, which that was the precursor to the XSDF, but I'm sure you already knew that."

Korra nodded. "I... I've done some research. I was born in Belora, the capital city of Ferisanto on Tamaer. My... my parents are Tamearin diplomats to Earth. And my grandmother fought in our war with the Ethereals."

"Really? If they're diplomats does that mean they stay on Earth or do they make trips there from your home world?" Camellia asked, leaning forward a little.

Korra chuckled a bit. "Well... I think they travel. They'd likely prefer out planet. But... but I don't really talk to them... at all really."

"Well, why not?" She tilted her head, "Is it a distance thing?"

Korra shook her head. "No, they... they don't..." She sighed. "Do... do you know what Pon-Taer Syndrome is, Winter? It is a Tamearin condition."

"I've actually done a bit more research on Tamaerins, enough to know that it's a mental disorder that causes increased emotional activity in the brain. Is that right?"

Korra smiled, happy to not have to explain it to another person. "My people pride themselves on their emotional control. And... I lack that. People like me are usually considered outcasts. Even... to our families. So we don't talk much. I can at least say they pulled some strings to get get me into the XSDF... but that was actually my grandmother's idea. Her last wish."

"I'm... I'm sorry..." Winter responded with a bit of a sadness in her voice, "I've been treated as an outcast by other people before, but my family had always had my back and it didn't last for too long. I can't imagine a culture where you would just banish someone from your family for something that happened to them during birth though. My parents told me that it used to be that way on our planet with homosexual and transgender people, but most of the hate just went away over time as more rights laws passed around the world."

Korra smiled lightly. "It's okay. I mean... it's not okay, but the XSDF has become something of a haven for Tamearins just like me. And the humans have had some obvious influences on my people. Maybe, with time, as they learn to work with emotional aliens... they'll learn to work with people like me. Even if it isn't in my life time, it'll happen. Someday."

"So, why do you think you are acting so anti-social? I'd think with a condition like yours you'd be plenty social. Is it just because you don't get along with people, or do you feel like they'd treat you differently because of your Pon-Taer Syndrome?" Camellia weaved her fingers together.

Korra leaned back. "I... I never got much attention at home. And when I came to Earth, I suddenly got a lot of attention. I learned I could use my looks to get things. Since coming here, though... to this ship, I mean, I've been told that is... bad. Something I... I already kinda knew, but... but the alternative to flirting is... letting people know the real me, and... I... I can't... let them..."

"Well, I like to think there's nothing wrong with a little flirting." Winter smirked a little before returning to a neutral expression, "But why don't you want people to know the real you, do you not think they'd like who you really are? Are you embarrassed?"

"Both," Korra said quietly. A little louder, she said, "I'm loud. I'm rude and abrasive. I curse a lot. I'm... unpleasant to be around. Besides, I... I don't want to hurt anyone. Or... h-have them hurt me."

"Well, I for one like loud, abrasive, flirty, people, there's nothing wrong with acting like that. I'm sure you don't mean to offend people when you say rude things, they just take it the wrong way." Winter said, "I think you feel ashamed about acting who you truly are because the rest of your race looks down on it. Everyone has a certain type of person they get along best with, even brash people that curse a lot, it's just that most of the people on your planet aren't used to others of their race acting like that, so they consider it strange and push it away. That just seems to be a staple part of a sentient being's psyche, upon seeing something strange or out of place they make it a taboo rather than try to understand it more."

Korra smiled lightly. "My... my people do seem to get defensive when it comes to our taboos. Even me, despite my outcast status. I... I couldn't help but notice your ears."

"Just cosmetic." Winter said, returning the smile, but it faded as she talked, "I got this when I was back in college, I became a huge fan of this game I played with my parents, and I liked how one of the races in it looked. I knew almost nothing about Tamaerins when I got them though, that research I did, showed me why all of your people were acting strange around me. I didn't know I was accidentally insulting your entire people by just looking like this..."

Korra raised a hand. "It... it isn't your fault. Just because my people are against any form of body modification..." She shook her head. "I... I went off on someone for their cybernetic arm, only to find out he lost his arm protecting innocent people. I felt bad, and had to go back to apologize. I... I realized I was being a hypocrite, thinking less of others for my people's taboos when... when those same taboos made them think less of me." The Tamearin woman gave her a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry if any of my people insulted you for... for something so minor."

"It's okay. My biggest fear is that a Tamearin will come in here looking for my help, only to lose their trust in me when they see my ears." She sighed, "I want more than just humans to come to me after all."

"Well, I'll vouch for you." Korra frowned and looked to the floor, something obviously bothering her.

Camellia quickly picked up on her expression, "What's wrong?"

Korra hesitated for a few seconds before asking, "How... how do I know who I can trust?"

"Well, I'd like to think everyone here in the XSDF are on the same side, but that's almost certainly just wishful thinking. I know one thing though, you can trust me." Winter stood up, her smile returning, "Since you've told me so much about you, why don't I let you know something interesting about me? You know, so it's even."

Korra slowly nodded. "O-okay. If... i-if you... want to."

Winter rolled up her shirt sleeves, revealing a few scattered, violet, almost scale like chitin covering her upper arms, as well as making the raised portions of her lower arms more clearly visible.

"Whoa. Interesting..." Korra examined them carefully. "They... they almost look like... Chryssalid plating."

"Because it is." Camellia replied, "I'm actually one fourth Chryssalid."

Korra raised an eyebrow. "I'm... not sure I understand. How is one born one fourth Chryssalid?"

"Ever heard of test tube babies? My mother is a clone that was spliced with Chryssalid DNA during the Subjugation-War. She met my other mother during X-com and afterwards they wanted to have a baby, but because they were two women, they had to clone one using a mix of both of their DNA." Winter explained, "So my DNA is Three parts human, one part Chryssalid."

Korra smiled. "That... that's really cool. I... it is a testament to how far someone would go to have a child." Her smile faded a bit. "Sucks about your first mom, though. Bet it must have been rough for her."

She rolled up her sleeves, "I don't think so, she had a lot of friends from X-com to make her happy, including her brother, my other mom, my aunt, and a bunch of my friends parents including Brigid's mom. The way they talk about it and they way they act now, they are just one big, if split up, happy family."

Korra nodded. "That would be nice." She rubbed her arms nervously. "It... it isn't easy, though. I... you... you seem nice. All my friends do, but... but..."