RP XCOM2: Liberation of Earth

Taxor_the_First

The Enemy of My Enemy is Me, Part 3

“You may wish to open your eyes,” Arthur’s voice told him. Obediently, Samuel opened them. Before him stretched a vast ocean, blue waves lapping at the cliff face he was-

The Aerotrooper exclaimed in alarm and darted backwards. “Could I have not been standing right next to a sheer drop?!” he demanded of no one in particular.

Beside him, Arthur chuckled. “You placed yourself there,” he noted. Turning around, what seemed like a camp came into view. “Though I did construct this environment myself, seeing as you lacked one. Found an area that resonated in your mind with the word and meaning of ‘home’.”

Samuel examined the camps with an element of surprise. “Normandy,” he muttered. “Where I grew up.” He made to walk towards it, but was stopped by a firm hand on his shoulder.

“The camp is a setpiece,” Arthur explained. “An element of the background. You can walk towards it, but you would never reach it.”

“What’s the damn point of having it there then?” the Russian asked hotly. “And where’s Umbra? I thought that was the entire point of this exercise.” The Phantom responded by looking up and behind Samuel. Following his gaze, the Aerotrooper saw his shadow, towering over them with folded arms, like it had been interrupted from something. “Damn. I keep forgetting how tall you are…”

The Reflection did not respond, verbally or otherwise.

“So now what?” Samuel asked. “What’s your plan here Arthur?”

Arthur did not respond for a moment either, instead frowning and placing a pensive hand on his chin. “I suppose we ask questions,” he said. “Umbra. What was your old master like?”

“We already know the answer to that,” the Russian interrupted. “He had an element of kindness to him, but he followed the wrong side. He still did shit things for them.”

Above him, Umbra shook its massive head, before reaching out a single hand to Samuel.

The Aerotrooper backed away a few paces. “What the hell does he want?”

Arthur’s face cracked into a smile. “I believe he wants to show you something,” was the answer. “Go. Take his hand.”

The Reflection nodded slightly. Unsure of himself, and like a small animal afraid of a new human, he edged forward. “This better not be a trick,” he warned, his much smaller hand clasping that of his shadow.

The effect was immediate. The landscape twisted and changed, as did Samuel’s self-perception, and suddenly he was storming through a corridor, a feeling of rage and despair searing through him. ADVENT Troopers trembled in his wake, fearing the Elder stalking through their midst with a mental pressure akin to a truck crushing them from above.

Aboard his ship now, he breezed past a familiar Sectoid before sealing himself in his quarters. For the second time in a few months, the pictures on the wall were torn off their hangers, the owner desperate for any means of allowing his anger to flow. Briefly, he considered tearing the wall down too.

Then despair returned, and all the anger ebbed away. Why? Azazel moaned internally, resting his head on the wall. To take something so strong and twist it in such a way… Was ADVENT not enough? Did you have to corrupt the individuals as well as the collective?

Behind him, a comforting hand was laid on his shoulder. Oh, don’t you start, the Inquisitor snapped, turning around with anger once again. You are the reason I’m still here! Why I have to see any of this!

Umbra lifted a hand as if to say something, but lowered it again.

There. See? You know I’m right. You know exactly what torture you’re putting me through. Azazel shook his head bitterly, shuffling over to his desk with a heavy heart. If it weren’t for you, I’d have been killed long ago, or done it myself. I’d have been spared all of this. The deaths, the fighting, the lies, the corruption… he lifted a hand, gazing at it with morbid fascination. … on both sides.

He slammed a hand against his desk. Sometimes I envy the outlook of people like Isaac, the Inquisitor muttered. Why can’t I keep faith in some higher power? Why can’t I believe everything will be alright? A sigh. The Path was never meant to be twisted to justify this, he said indicating his own body.

He remained silent for a while, staring into nothing. Gently, Umbra nudged a file towards him.

I’ve done so many monstrous things, and enabled far more, the Inquisitor whispered, not noticing the file. All of it in the name of saving my own skin. It is unfair to blame you, Umbra. I am the main reason I am still here. I should never have taken that deal. I should have kept my mouth shut. Taken my secrets to the grave. He gave a shuddering sigh. I betrayed them. I deserve everything I get.

The Reflection pushed the file against Azazel’s arm, insistent. The Inquisitor glanced at it. XCOM? he asked. Yes… I suppose that is some glimmer of hope. He allowed himself a chuckle, flipping through the pages on known operatives, associates, and so on. So widespread. So difficult to pin down. So dangerous.

His flicking stopped on a particular page, one detailing an incursion on a blacksite run by an Elder Inquisitor. Judgement Squad… He turned to his Reflection. Do you still think the potential is there?

Umbra nodded.

Azazel returned his gaze to the page, lingering on the image of seven human soldiers mid-combat with the hulking beast that they’d encountered in the center of the facility. I suppose we will have to wait and see, he murmured. Wouldn’t want to pass you on to someone undeserving, would we?

And just as abruptly as it had started, the memory ended. Samuel’s eyes shot open, finding himself sitting upright in Arthur’s room. The Phantom himself was seemingly meditating, though the panic of his companion disturbed him from this serene pose. “What did you see?” he asked calmly.

Samuel swallowed. “I was… I was him. So much anger, so much absolute despair…” Forcing himself to concentrate, the Russian massaged his head with a few fingers. “He wanted us to kill him,” he realized. “When he said he’d lost the will to fight, he wasn’t kidding. Just had one loose end to tie up before he gave up on the world.”

“Umbra,” Arthur guessed.

“Yeah. He wanted to pass him on.”

The Phantom grunted. “Then it would seem he wasn’t the monster you thought him to be.”

“… no,” Samuel murmured, leaning back onto the wall behind him. “He wanted to pass his Reflection on, and to someone that wasn’t part of ADVENT or the Protectorate.” The Russian exhaled. “And whoever could best him got the prize.”

“I believe we are closer then,” Arthur stated. “You know your enemy, and know yourself.”

The Russian wasn’t listening, however. He regretted everything, he thought. Every murder, execution, abduction. Even the thing that kept him alive, their solution…

It drove him to the pits of despair. Our battle… that wasn’t a fight. That was suicide.

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Cascade, Part 1”

Caucasus Mountain Foothills, Azerbaijan
2108 Hours, November 1st, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 3, Central Block
Female Showers

Gwen grabbed a towel from the neatly folded stack besides the lockers where clothing could be stored so they would not get wet from the shower steam. She looked around, making sure no more guests would be joining her and with a satisfied nod, began disrobing out of her dress. Since joining with XCOM, the excess layer of fat she had come with had melted away and she now was in better condition than she had been ever in her life.

She reached down, patting her stomach, feeling it was completely solid, and grinning with a victorious feeling. Once her items were placed away, she moved to under one of the shower heads and turned it on. She started with the cold water first, shivering away the goosebumps that spread across her body. She enjoyed hot showers, but didn’t wish to fall asleep while doing so. Now fully awake, the hot water took its place, and soon steam began rising from the floor.

As the heat began to build up, rising a few notches above room temperature - on the Fahrenheit scale anyway - the faint sound of the doors to the locker room clicking closed was dimly audible from the shower-room. There was an equally-nigh-inscrutable sound of clothes rustling as they were removed, and then another woman stepped into the shower area. She was momentarily difficult to recognize. With her long hair freed from the band confinding it into a lengthy ponytail, the silver locks stretched down to the Phantom’s lower back. That lustrous gray color though gave away her identity as the new recruit Gwendoline had met by the shores of the Caspian Sea, however.

“Hello again, Gwen,” Emmeline greeted the Juggernaut courteously.

The woman’s cheeks lit up a bit -not exactly from the shower- though the embarrassment quickly subsided as she smiled. “Hello again Emmy. Nice to run into you again.”

“The feeling is mutual, of course,” Emmeline remarked with a faint smile, moseying over to a spot under one of the showerheads. As she did so, she kept her eyes observing the other woman’s features at first - only stealing a glance downwards when she was certain the Frenchwoman wasn’t looking at her.

The woman seemed perfectly proportional, living up to the visage of a princess she seemed to project. Her breasts were rather average with a B-cup, her rear rather shapely as well. Currently, she was lathering her hair with shampoo, leading to the easy way Emmeline could observe Gwen. Out of seemingly nowhere she spoke up. “I had hair like yours once, you know? When I first joined it was down to about my waist.”

“That sounds like an impressive sight to see,” Emmeline remarked. “I can understand why you’d see fit to shorten it, though. Mine gets in my way if I don’t have it bound, and when I go on mission I have to tuck my ponytail beneath the back of my shirt to keep it from turning into a blob underneath the armor’s helmet,” she described with an amused tone as she turned on the water, and closed her eyes while her the waterfall rain down her silver hair.

“Cutting mine was more of a ceremonial thing. I did it before once because I began a new life. Joining XCOM was another such occasion. I do admit, it wasn’t exactly thought out though.” As Gwen leaned back her head to wash out the soap from her hair, she ran her hand down her face and blinked several times, looking over to the side at the other woman.

Emmeline had a straight, unassuming figure - but only so far as her basic body shape. While her hips and waist more or less lined up, she had a chest a size larger than the Juggernaut that was breathtakingly rounded. Her ass lacked a shape that perfect, but still looked firm nevertheless. There were hints of toned muscle along her pale, creamy skin, but not the sort of muscle of someone who relied on physical strength: hers was a more agile form. As some of the water from above streamed down Emmeline’s face, her eyes fluttered as if blinking rapidly to keep the water out - but in truth she used the motion to notice Gwen’s gaze. The Phantom said nothing of it, however, merely continuing their conversation.

“I do like the idea of that, regardless of the amount of thought that may or may not have been put into your decision to shorten your hair. It signifies you are a flexible person, able and willing to cope with change,” Emmeline posited with a slight nod of approval.

“Well… sort of. I don’t know, looking through my lens it seems far less admirable.” The Frenchwoman stopped her staring after a few moments and looked down, sighing as she leaned forward, placing her head against the wall so the water hit the nape of her neck and rolled down her back. “It’s a long story.”

“I’d love to hear it - if you’re okay with retelling that story to me,” Emmeline offered gently, giving Gwendoline a reassuring smile.

Gwen however frowned, turning around so her back was placed against the wall, shaking her head. “Well you know, it’s your classic boohoo story with a bunch of even worse parts sprinkled in.” The woman said in an attempt to try and lighten up her mood. “Grew up from a wealthy family, only child. My older sister had died a few years before I was even born so that wasn’t exactly a good start. Afterwards my mother was always busy with work, dad never loved me - as cliche as that is - and I was raised by a nanny. Aliens invaded, murdered my mother to force my father’s cooperation since he was a government official.”

“Transition to him relocating us to Canada to save his own ass - with me and my nanny as tagalongs - commence the physical and sexual abuse I had to endure by his hand, which then lead to my nanny telling the Peacekeepers where he was. After that, we were chased as well, nanny got a bullet through her skull, and my now brother would come and save me. After that a more slippery slope of ups and downs until ending up here.” Gwen wrapped her arms around herself and shrugged. “That’s the short of it anyways.”

Emmeline’s expression turned melancholy - the look feeling a bit odd for a reason Gwen couldn’t easily discern at the moment. This was because for once, she wasn’t just playing the social scene - using the right body language and words for the situation. This was a genuine sadness. “For… what it’s worth, I’m sorry you had to endure all of that. It makes the struggles of others seem petty in comparison.” Including many of my own. The Phantom fell silent for a few moments, the only sounds in the room being the hiss of the water as it struggled through the gaps in the showerheads, and the patter of the liquids as they impacted with the tiled floor.

“You know, though…” Emmeline spoke up again. the fact that you can stand here today… tell me the story, and be someone who still has a will to go on despite everything she’s been through… that is nothing short of admirable, Gwendoline.”

“Trust me, it’s hard as hell. It especially was in the beginning, when I didn’t have a handle on things.” After a bit of more silence between the two women, Gwen shifted over and put a hand on Emmeline’s bare, wet arm. “Thanks for the kind words though. They mean a lot.”

The ghost of a smile crept back onto Emmeline’s features. “I do my best. That’s what…” a pang of regret snapped through her heart, “friends are for, right?”

“Don’t really have many of those anymore. More of my own volition really. Something I am trying to improve.” The frenchwoman offered up a more bright smile then she mustered before, slowly removing her hand from the Phantom though retained her close proximity. “What about you? Many friends?”

Swiftly composing herself oncemore, Emmeline nodded. “I don’t intend to brag, but I’m very good at getting close to people. I have a penchant for social interaction.” It’s a job requirement, after all. And it’s what I was born to do, the spy reminded herself.

Gwen seemingly took on a coy look and rubbed her chin, nudging the other woman’s arm with her elbow. “Those ‘interactions’ ever include cute guys who liked you?”

Emmeline raised an eyebrow. “They might have. I find that a lot of men have rather visible puppet strings. Wooing women is often a more complex affair.”

The Juggernaut mocked a scandalous look. “My dear lord, Miss Emmeline, how could be so naughty? Just go for them all right out.” There was a follow up giggle that Gwen was hard pressed to contain. “So any of these turn serious? Take the good ol’ tumble with any of them?”

“Well, if we’re being open here, then yes. I have had a few sexual escapades when the need arises. Most of them time they’ve admittedly been one night stands, though. All the moving around I’ve done tends to preclude prolonged relationships,” Emmeline noted. “Might be a little different here…” Though is that really a good idea? I shouldn’t get too attached to anyone on this ship, not without knowing what the Director’s final verdict on XCOM is.

“Still… even if they were one night stands it shows you are able to be wanted. Me on the other hand…” She held up her arms and sighed, shaking her head. “It’s been hard… for obvious… reasons. I can like guys but… they have a certain look when you get flirty. It’s… that look that ruins things all the time. I assume that is what girls would usually like. Not me though…”

I can imagine why. “That’s understandable. Not everyone is a glutton for attention. I’m much the same way. Being a covert operative for the past few years for the Resistance tends to make one into a chameleon that blends in, never standing out.”

“Sometimes it just feels…” Gwen grabbed her arm, dropping her gaze, not finishing the sentence for making it sound stupid.

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Cascade, Part 2”

“...lonely.” Another one of those rare veritable expressions characterized Emmeline’s face with tinges of longing. “I understand that emptiness all too well.”

Gwendoline looked up at Emmy, her eyes slightly wide in surprise, caught off guard that the woman admitted to much the same. That caused a smile, and a quick look away towards the ceiling. Gwen brushed some wet hair over her right ear and began saying, “Well… you got me I suppose. I’m not much, but I’m sure I could help stave off that loneliness if it gets rid of mine right?” The nondescript way in which it was said left interpretation open.

Emmeline felt her heart hammering away in her chest as she questioned her course of action. This was a bad idea… I’ve opened up far too much to her. But there’s… nothing I can do about it now. Just need to… enjoy the moment for what it’s worth, I guess? the spy thought to herself indecisively. “You certainly could,” Emmeline finally agreed. Her confident demeanor slowly returned as she questioned, “though as what, exactly? I get the impression that we’re becoming good friends at the moment, though I’m not so sure if you had something else in mind when you said what you did.”

The frenchwoman took in a breath and let it out, shaking her head. “Who knows? I’ve tended to let others set the barriers they want with me. Mine usually end up being too closed off and they end up biting me.” Like with a certain asshole… grumble grumble…

“Then you’d be fine with lowering those defenses and letting me in?” Emmeline asked with a smirk.

“Well… no reason to say no.” Gwen responded, looking away from Emmy whenever she could.

The silver-haired woman smiled more fully. “I’ll take that as agreement then.” She rolled her shoulders. “Face me for a second.”

“Hm?” Gwen turned to look at the operative, raising an eyebrow. Emmeline placed a hand on Gwendoline’s cheek, and then pressed her soft lips against the other woman’s. Gwen’s eyes immediately widened, blinking rapidly for a few seconds stunned she was being kissed. After getting a few moments to settle into the feeling, she finally returned it a little, placing her hands on Emmeline’s sides to hold her. After holding it for a few more tender moments, Emmeline pulled her face back a few centimeters.

“I’ll be honest, I haven’t felt quite this passionate about someone before,” Emmeline whispered - the proximity allowing Gwendoline to hear. “You’re something else entirely…”

“U-Uh… well… Uh huh…” Was all she said to agree, her heart pounding and the girl a bit breathless. She had not experienced a passionate kiss before, so it left her a bit stunned.

Emmeline reached up to brush a hand along Gwen’s hair calmingly. “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you this much,” the Phantom apologized with hints of amusement in the corners of her eyes.

“Oooooh, uh… nooo pfft. Me? Startled? Pfft. Pfft. As if. I-I’m just playing up the part, you know?” Gwen lied, letting out a nervous laugh before groaning. “God I am so bad at this…”

“Lack of experience is not a crime,” Emmeline replied curtly. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Right well… guilty as charged if it was. And you know, that would be bad because orange is not my color and stripes look horrible with my figure and oh my god just kiss me again so I can shut up already…” The Juggernaut pouted in complaint.

Emmeline didn’t need to be asked twice, placing her hands on Gwendoline’s shoulders and pulling her a bit closer, locking lips with the frenchwoman again. She held the second kiss for longer, savoring the taste of the other woman’s mouth for as long as she could. Left breathless afterwards, she had to take a few moments to suck in oxygen before saying anything further. “There… is the question… of how faring you’re willing to… take this right now,” Emmeline asked chivalrously.

For a few moments Gwen did get a fire in her eyes, as well as a certain hopefulness she realized before saying her next words. Reaching down, she took Emmeline’s hand and smiled. “As… much as having fun sounds… fun, I feel if we did, it would end anything meaningful to come out of tonight. I say we wait a bit for that. When we know the time is right, then it’ll be spectacular.”

Emmeline’s expression fell a little - but she only let her disappointment show briefly. “Alright. Though… the part about seeing your partner naked… that ship has already sailed,” she admitted.

Gwen laughed at that and nodded in agreement, grabbing Emmy into a hug, pulling her close against her. “Good. It will make the process go a bit faster then.” Her own smile faded a bit, and she looked a bit confused. “Sorry, it just… sounds like the right thing to do. I don’t… want to be just another one night stand.”

“I-I wouldn’t do that to you,” Emmeline protested. “The… the way I feel about you… I wasn’t playing it up. I’ve never really… felt this strongly about someone else before.” It’s to the point that I’m causing myself so much trouble over you. “There shouldn’t be anything that would pull me away from XCOM,” Emmeline lied with a bit more difficulty than usual. “And no one else here has really caught me eye. You don’t have anything to worry about.”

“And… you’re certain about that? Truly Emmeline?” Gwen asked, her eyes big and innocent. They were eyes that Gwen rarely showed, ones that showed how she truly was inside.

Emmeline blanched. She felt as if those trusting orbs were piercing through her facade into the very essence of her being. I… I can’t. I can’t promise that, knowing that I’m… dammit all, why do I feel this strongly? She’s just another step on the path that we Episcopos have walked along. I shouldn’t be this hung up, and yet… Unbeknownst to her, the internal turmoil the spy was feeling showed up on her features, Emmeline’s brow furrowing and her eyes wavering.

Gwen’s features saddened slightly, and she looked down. “I… I see…” The girl let out sadly. “I should have know this would… sort have been the case,” the young woman said with a low and quivering tone.

“N-no… please, don’t…” Moisture formed in the corners of Emmeline’s eyes, and she grasped Gwendoline’s wrists. Mumbling - seemingly not to Gwen - Emmy apologized, “I’m sorry, sister… I… can’t go on like this. It’s been too long…”

“W-What are you on about?” Gwen asked, having her own tears build up. Why is it everytime… why is there always someone else in the way of my own happiness…

Emmeline looked into Gwen’s eyes. “I… I can only make that promise if I tell you everything. Tell you… the truth about me. I just need you to promise not to bring this to the Commander,” she pleaded, though her uncertain voice betrayed her understanding that she had not earned that degree of trust.

The frenchwoman shook slightly, wanting to say no and be done with it but she merely silently nodded, rubbing Emmy’s arm. “Whatever it is… you… can tell me.”

Relief washed over Emmeline’s features - not just from this particular situation being lessened in intensity, but from the anticipation of getting something off her chest that she’d kept in for years. “It’s… a bit of a long story.” She released Gwen, and stepped back a pace. “Have you ever heard of the Illuminati?” she questioned.

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Cascade, Part 3”

“That… that silly organization of hooded lizard people? Sure… what about them?” Gwen asked, her eyes left wandering as she looked over the woman in front of her as if expecting scales to come out of nowhere.

Emmeline chuckled - part of the laugh light, and the other half bitter. “It does sound absurd, doesn’t it? That’s the way my family prefered it. There is no such thing as the illuminati… but there is an organization that once conspired to take over the world. And truthfully, with how far our influence reached into the old world’s politics… we practically did,” Emmeline confessed. “We call ourselves Exalt. We’ve been around since the world wars… that was when the first family matriarch started gaining influence through her scientific achievements.” The Phantom folded her hands together. “My name isn’t Emmeline Marshall Ashworth, though I like that last name. And I’m not British. I am Emmeline Episcopos, a member of an Italian family that has been driving a good chunk of humanity’s scientific achievement and meddling in world affairs for about a century.”

Gwen slowly let her hands slip off of the silver-haired woman, putting them under her arms, shrugging her shoulders. “Why… why are you here?” She asked, her voice faltering a bit. “To toy with us? Sell us out to ADVENT for your own gain?”

“None of those things,” Emmeline quickly confirmed. “We hate the aliens as much as you do. You could call my family… human supremacists if you wanted. Transhumanists, too.” Emmeline looked down at the ground. “No, I was sent here to… assess whether or not your organization was a threat to us. We want ADVENT gone, and… the idea is to reassert our dominance over the world in their place.” Looking back up, Emmy held up her hands. “However, I’m not certain that things have to be that way… that we should have to come into conflict. I… don’t feel as though I understand what my sister wants, sometimes. She… is the Director of Exalt, the woman in black XCOM fought in Xi’an. She… didn’t attack you because she’d made up her mind. She wanted to see what you were capable of.”

“So you were poking a bear with a stick.” The blonde woman paled a bit, looking away. “And what if she had died during that skirmish? Would you have come after us then?”

“Verona is strong enough to take care of herself. I wasn’t worried about it. Had she died… I would have sought revenge on those that killed her. Not all of you,” Emmeline stated without deception - being as open as possible, even though it was a strange feeling to tell the truth after all this time. “I… don’t think she believes in our cause as strongly as her predecessors. A key part of this puzzle that you must understand is that… Vee came into this world right before the invasion. She… and myself… were not born naturally. We were cloned from DNA samples from other members of the family. Vee watched her mother and sisters - among which was my basis - killed by the aliens when they discovered who we were and where we were located. She wants vengeance upon them… I’m not sure she knows what she wants beyond that.”

Gwen took in a shuddering breath, looking the now-revealed Italian woman worriedly. “And what do you want?” she asked simply.

“I want to stop deceiving people. One of the reasons… I’ve been so lonely is not just the moving around. It’s having to tell people the same lies over and over again, to pretend that I’m someone I’m not… to manipulate others for my own ends, to cheat my way up the social ladder until I am in a position to best serve my family. I want to be happy… and as much as I’d like to please my older sister - to show her I can be just as good as the rest of my family…” Emmeline shook her head, shaking a bit. “I can’t keep being a spy for her sake.”

There was a long silence between the two, Gwen left speechless by the revelations placed before her. She closed her eyes and reached over, turning off the water coming from her showerhead, listening to the droplets hit the floor. She took a deep breath, putting a hand to her lips. “So it was real? What happened here? It wasn’t just a powerplay?”

Emmeline nodded. “I had no reason to interact with you, truthfully. Sure, you’re the sister of one of the higher-ranking officers… but I was trying to gain an audience with the head of Intelligence, not Sinclair.” Emmy closed her eyes, reminiscing. “When I came out of the ship to get some fresh air and think, I… when I saw you out on the beach, I couldn’t contain my curiosity. Even then, I thought you were beautiful… I wanted to get to know you. There was an attraction I couldn’t explain. I guess I’ve never truly loved someone before… and this is what it feels like. A force strong enough to make me betray my sister’s interests.”

The spy took in a deep, shaking breath. “You… don’t have to keep this a secret for my sake. If I am to pay for years of treachery now… then I suppose that is what Fate decrees. I have no one to blame but myself for always seeking to please others instead of trying to find joy in my own life.”

Gwen narrowed her eyes, then stepped forward close to Emmeline, putting a hand on her shower’s faucet, turning it off. “Then let’s see what it says after tonight. I’ll give you this chance Emmy… because… because I feel the same curious attraction to you. Let’s… let’s go to bed together. It’s… too public here…” The frenchwoman’s cheeks were a deep red, as she looked down. “If those feelings stay in the morning… then… then I will stand by you. You have my word.”

The silver-haired woman’s distraught features softened. She didn’t reply for awhile, choosing her words carefully. “Thank you, Gwen. It means so much to me that you’re willing to give me a chance… despite knowing all that I’ve just told you. I swear to you… I’ll do everything in my power to bring peace between XCOM and Exalt.” Emmeline tapped the back of her head. “I have this chip in my head that’s a lot like your PCS, and is - infact - integrated with it right now. I can contact her with this… and with any luck, convince Verona to get along with your organization.”

“I see… well, when do you plan on telling her?” Gwen asked with a raised eyebrow, moving to leave the shower and grab her towel now that the cold air was causing her body to get visible goosebumps again.

“It’s… something I’ll have to put a lot of thought into. Thankfully, my social skills will come in handy here… I just need to consider the right way to put it. I may be honest… and explain to her the circumstances that led to this. I’ll use logic too of course, but she’s a very passionate person… pure reason may not be the way to go with her,” Emmeline responded with a shrug. “But…” she began drying herself off with a towel of her own. “I don’t want to trouble you with the details of that business right now. I want to make up for my deception and give you the night of your life.”

“I-I feel the same. Though being with a woman is not something I am too familiar with. A lot of people thought me and a friend from a settlement I lived at were… involved, but we were never romantic at all. Just strictly friends.” Gwen admitted, not having an easy time admitting in a technical sense, she was a ‘virgin’.

“That’s alright. I can show you the ropes, so to speak,” Emmeline responded, finally starting to smile again. “No actual ropes will be involved, of course, unless you’re into that sort of thing.”

Gwen frowned. “That isn’t funny… that is just weird…” The girl looked away, rubbing her wrist. “I… I am not… that into being forceful. I prefer taking things… sensually. I-If that makes sense…”

“I understand,” Emmeline reassured her. “I wouldn’t want to be rough… I’m not interested in risking regicide,” she noted. “You’re too precious to me for that.” The silver-haired woman looked into the locker room. “You think there’s a point in us getting redressed, or should we just make for a room with the towels? Where would we be taking this, for that matter?”

“Do you have any roommates?” Gwen asked quickly.

Emmeline shook her head. “I endeavored to get a room to myself so that I wouldn’t be disturbed. We can go there, then.”

“Y-Yeah… my brother would get worried if he came back and the door was locked. He’s also going through his own shit. He doesn’t need… jealousy added onto that.” Gwen said sadly, remembering how many times he found him sulking.

“We won’t trouble him then.” Emmeline looked over her black clothing, and with a shrug decided to put it back on - slipping on her underwear and then her shirt and pants. “Let’s go to my room and take our thoughts to more pleasant matters.”

Gwen slipped on her own pants and t-shirt, putting a jacket over herself as she reached over to grab Emmeline’s hand, giving the silver-haired woman a meek smile. “Lead the way…”

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Cascade, Part 4”

The former spy led her partner to her room - which was a smaller sleeping quarters with only a single bunkbed. Only the bottom had sheets and a pillow, confirming that Emmeline did have the bedroom to herself. Shutting the door behind them, Emmeline looked over to Gwendoline. “I’ve already said it once tonight, but I think it bears repeating… I’m so grateful that you’re giving me a chance, despite the secrets I’ve kept,” she spoke sincerely.

“Beggars can’t really be choosers. Besides… what this beggar got was a steak when she was expecting scraps.” Gwen noted, then frowned intensely. “Does that… sound wrong?”

“A little… not that it bothers me,” Emmeline replied with a chuckle. “Just calm your nerves. I’m not about to make fun of you for a bad choice of words… I have no right to, furthermore.”

“Look Emmy…” Gwen poked her toes against the ground, putting her hands behind her back. “I want to walk into this as… equals. I don’t want you feeling like you owe me, and I don’t want to feel like I owe you either, you know? Does that sound alright?”

Emmeline nodded. “That’s fine by me.”

“Good.” The frenchwoman cleared her throat and slowly went over to the bed, sitting down on her ass she slowly began to take off her clothes, giggling uncontrollably. “This is so weird…”

“You’ll be replacing that word with ‘fun’ shortly,” Emmeline remarked with a chuckle, lifting her shirt over her head and kicking off her pants.

Left in only her underwear as well, Gwen moved over so she was against the wall of the bed, laying down. She rested her hands on her stomach, holding her breath, heart pounding heavily in her chest in anticipation. Emmeline climbed up onto the bed as well - placing her hands on either side of Gwendoline’s head and kissing her again. Her lips moved slowly against Gwen’s, but there was plenty of ardor present.

Gwen played along with the shorter woman, having no problems allowing Emmeline to take control, passively allowing her hands to explore the other woman’s body, trying to not be too submissive and give the Italian woman the wrong impressions. The light contact brought a soft, wanting sigh from Emmeline, who started moving her lips down to her lover’s neck - sucking lightly on it.

Gwen’s cheeks burned, and she let out a light laugh. “That tickles! You’re so weird.”

“It’s not an unpleasant feeling, though,” Emmeline responded with a slight smirk. “Your inexperience is showing.” She moved her head down a bit more - and frowned for a moment at the sports bra arresting her progress. The silver-haired woman straddled Gwen’s lap, freeing up her hands to seize either side of the upper article of underwear and pull it down. No longer having to do so covertly, she took a moment to get an eyeful of Gwen’s chest.

Gwen squirmed a bit with Emmy sitting on her, holding her arms close to her side with an innocent look. “Y-You don’t need to gaze like that… weirdo,” she said defensively, though it seemed entirely in jest.

“Hm. I’ll just get to work then,” Emmeline retorted lightheartedly, seizing the soft flesh in her hands and kneading it between her fingers.

Gwen squirmed some more, both from the pleasant feelings but from something else as well. One of her hands grabbed Emmeline’s wrist shakily, and held it tightly, holding her breath, her eyes squeezed shut. “J-Just hold on for a moment please…”

“Are you alright?” Emmeline asked worriedly, ceasing her movements. “I didn’t… I didn’t dredge up bad memories, did I?”

Gwen’s lips quivered a bit, some moisture building up around her eyes as she quickly put her arms around other woman, shaking over her entire body. “I’m so pathetic…”

“No, you’re not,” the Italian woman insisted, retracting her hands and holding Gwen’s head gently - lightly stroking her hair from time to time. “What happened to you is reprehensible… no one would experience something like that and not suffer mental scars from it.” She gave the frenchwoman a gentle kiss. “Take all the time you need. If we need to stop… I’d be disappointed, but I wouldn’t refuse. If you’d feel more comfortable taking the dominant position here, I can let you do that too.”

The shaking woman thought on it and shook her head slowly, taking in a shaking breath as she responded, “I-I can’t… keep running Emmy. P-Please… continue. Just be slow. I’ll try my best to… get past this.”

Emmeline cautiously looked into Gwen’s green eyes with her soft hazel pair. Seeing the resolve partially-masked by apprehension hidden there, the Phantom sighed. “Alright. Just… let me know if you need a breather. Say something odd… like, I don’t know, a fruit or something if that’s the case.” The silver-haired woman then leaned over with the two still on their sides, and began gingerly kissing over Gwendoline’s breasts.

Gwen shakily held Emmeline’s head lovingly, closing her eyes. “Call out a fruit she says… yes, because what I want to say is something you eat rather than stop. Semantics… never understand them.” She mumbled, though was easily heard by the woman servicing her.

“H-hey, it was the first thing that came to mind,” Emmeline mumbled, unusually embarrassed for such a composed woman. She brushed a sensitive spot with her teeth in reprisal.

Gwen gasped slightly, her shaking persisting as she frowned and pinched Emmeline’s rear end. “Vous tricheur sale…”

Emmeline closed her legs a little, wincing. “Ow… that wasn’t an eye for an eye… that was more like a hand for a fingernail.”

“It was for being a meanie…” Gwen pouted, her hand then slowly moving over the spot she pinched. “But now I get to do this so… I have justification…”

Emmy shrugged her shoulders slightly and smiled. “You don’t need an excuse to place your hands where you want them.”

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Cascade, Part 5”

“Maybe but…” Gwen tried to think of something else to say but shrugged, not seeming to have anything else quippy to add. Gwen reached lower, her hand between Emmeline’s legs, causing her much embarrassment despite not being the one who was receiving it.

The silver-haired woman’s lips parted slightly, and a soft moan escaped them. Although Gwendoline was an amateur and going slowly at first, the fact that it was her made the movements more pleasing to Emmeline than they would otherwise have been. “That’s good,” she thanked her partner.

That caused an excited look to spread across the frenchwoman’s features, her shaking seeming to have stopped a bit, moving along the fabric as if she was a kid playing with a new toy. “This is so weird. It is different than… doing it to yourself.”

“Oh? Have the night urges struck you prior to now, then?” Emmeline questioned with an amused grin.

Gwen frowned and shook her head, not looking too happy. “I never got far. Usually it never lasted. As you could imagine. I… I didn’t have… someone there to help me past it. Someone who cared.”

“I’m honored to be that person, then,” Emmeline replied quietly. She placed a hand over Gwen’s, rubbing her skin. “If you want to get more of a reaction, you’ll have to reach underneath.”

“I… it won’t bite will it?” The girl asked with a raised eyebrow, reaching into the underwear and squeezed her eyes shut once more. “It’s so weeeeeird!”

“You’re like a little girl being shown a bug by some boys,” Emmeline mumbled, grabbing one of Gwen’s arms and letting the Juggernaut lean over her while the silver-haired woman lay on her back. She acquiesced to the time it took for Gwendoline to get accustomed to exploring her girlfriend’s body.

After a while, she stopped, removing her hand and closed her eyes, slowly saying, “I… I’m ready…”

“My turn?” Emmeline hooked a pair of fingers under either end of Gwen’s panties, and gradually pulled them down to the frenchwoman’s knees - letting the other woman get them off completely on her own if that was what she desired.

She did slip them off as she laid down, taking in deep breaths. “J-Just start whenever…”

Emmeline bobbed her head in acknowledgement, and reached up with her index finger - delicately inserting it into her girlfriend.

Gwen let out a small yelp, gritting her teeth as the girl began to cry softly, holding onto Emmeline with an iron grip, not letting her pull away. She nodded relentlessly, giving the sign to merely keep going. Her shuddering breaths may have caused some worry to come from her lover but Gwen only egged her on more. Flash after flash of bad memories hit her over the head like a hammer, and her tears didn’t seem to stop, and after a while it seemed her will would have eroded if something wasn’t done.

Worry clouding her features, Emmeline brought her lips between the frenchwoman’s legs, and kissed the spot lightly. “I’m here, Gwen,” she spoke tenderly. “I love you. I’m not going to hurt you.”

Despite her crying, that elicited a laugh from the girl who covered her face with both hands, shaking her head. “You sound like someone out of a movie.”

“If it makes you feel better I don’t mind being cliche as all hell,” Emmeline responded earnestly.

Gwen let herself laugh some more, letting it calm her down as she continued to shake her head. “I hate you so much.”

“You’re a cruel mistress,” Emmeline murmured, using her other hand to calmingly stroke Gwen’s stomach.

Gwen’s laughing stopped and things remained silent from her, the memories slowly stopping as Emmeline continued. For once, instead of pain, she felt different. She was starting to feel lighter, both in her abdomen, and in her mind. It’s time for me to be happy… I want to be… I don’t want to live in the past, she thought to herself, then called to her lover trying to get her attention, “Emmy?”

Emmeline looked up at Gwendoline. “Yeah?”

She waved her hand, beckoning her to come closer to her face. When Emmeline did so, Gwen’s eyes opened, her green orbs looking up at the italian woman lovingly. You won’t hurt me anymore. I won’t let you. Goodbye. The Juggernaut smiled at the other woman, reaching up to touch her cheek. “I… I love you. So… so…” Trying to find the right words -and failing- she put her hand behind the Phantom’s neck, pulling her close and giving her a soft kiss, for once taking the initiative with the affection.

Emmy closed her eyes for a moment, letting the warmth wash through her heart. After holding the kiss for a few more seconds, she pulled back by a very slight distance to whisper adoringly, “Oh, Gwen…”

“I’m ready now. Truly. Please… let’s make this night unforgettable. For the both of us.” Gwen said truthfully, smiling warmly as more tears came, these ones for more joyous reasons.

“Absolutely,” Emmeline agreed. She kissed Gwendoline again, and lowered her hand back between the frenchwoman’s thighs - now not as afraid to make her girlfriend feel good.

Gwen gripped the sheets, smiling as she didn’t fight the feelings coming from the contact. For the first time since she was a little girl, she finally let herself fly away.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Frostlich1228 and MarineAvenger: "A Dash of Sugar"

Cathy walked up to Arytom's door, it was a tough time right now, everybody was tense due to recent events, she wanted to make sure he was doing well, or maybe that was a poor excuse to cry on his shoulder, she had a feeling it was affecting her more than it might have been affecting him.

As she reached Artyom's door, she debated putting on her happy face, but lying to his face didn't seem like something the young girl wanted to do, besides, she wanted to stand by Ayame's advice. Catherine knocked a few times, slowly, unlike her usual energetic one.

After a few moments, the door to his room slowly slid open and staring down at the woman shared a resemblance to the Artyom she knew but look somehow completely different. His beard and hair were trimmed up nicely, and his menacing red eyes were now a softer shade of blue. He looked to wear normal clothing, and even his room seemed tidier behind him. He stared at the cook not quite sure what to say to an unexpected visitor. "Hello Catherine." He began with.

"Hey... You look... Different... You look good, I like it." She nodded.

"I suppose you look different as well." Artyom noted, reaching up and poked her cheek. "No smile."

"Right..." She sighed, "I guess I didn't want to lie to you..."

"Lie about what?" The Russian hacker asked neutrally.

"I'm uh..." Tears began to well up in her eyes, "I feel terrible... Crushed... Like I can't do anything..."

Artyom tilted his head slightly, seeing a frowning, teary eyed Catherine seeming worse then an annoying, jolly one. He looked around awkwardly and slowly stepped forward, slowly and cautiously putting his arms around her and grumbled something unintelligible.

"Am I just making things worse? What I said to Yakone... I don't know what they did to her but... What if they didn't do anything?" Cathy continued, her guilt pouring out uncontrollably, "I know it must sound stupid but... what if I made it easier for her to change? Oh, It is stupid... I'm stupid... Have I really helped anyone?"

"Me?" Artyom suggested blankly, not having any real sure idea as to what was happening as he pulled away -gladly- from the hug he had given and walked back inside his closet, expecting his guest to follow if she truly wished to talk.

Cathy walked inside slowly, then sat herself down on the floor, "I'm sorry to bother you... I uh... I know you aren't good with things like this..."

"If you truly bothered me, I would not have let you in." Artyom deadpanned with a sigh. "Besides... I... I understand your pain. In fact, I wished to thank you."

"Thank me?" She looked up, eyes wide.

"I recently faced my own troubles. The thought of you helped somewhat. So thank you." The man said simply, as if not realizing the implication of what he said would have for the girl he barely realized wanted his affection.

"You don't have to say that... To think I could help someone who's been through what you've been through?" The Chef took a deep breath, but choked a little, unused to letting herself be in this state.

He reached forward and pat her on the head slowly, sitting back as he opened up his lap to her. "Want to... sit with me?" Artyom asked with some strong effort.

"Hehe... Okay..." She said, taking him up on his offer, "Did I ever tell you... About my sisters?"

"I believe you have told me of their existence before." There was a moment of pause as the man thought. "Though it is hard to say. We do not spend much time together."

"Just another reason I can't help..." She muttered, "I grew up in an orphanage most of my life... My mom died giving birth... My dad couldn't afford to keep us... It was just me... And my three identical sisters..."

She shifted her leg as a tear ran down her face, "There was Sarah... The pretty one... Mary, the tough girl... Then Ammy... Ammelia was... Blind and mute, she always took up so much of my dad's time, but she was sweet, and shy... Back then though... We were all jealous of her, we wanted dad to spend more time with us, that just got even worse once we lost him... So we started picking on her, all three of us... After a while though, I realized what we were doing to her, we were making her miserable, I didn't want to do it anymore... But Mary... She pushed us, insisted, I was scared they'd do the same to me if I stopped... So... We kept it up... All the way until I was adopted..."

"So you were mean to your blind and mute sister. Do you feel guilty you never... apologized?" Artyom tried to guess curiously.

"Yes... I always felt guilty I was never there for her, I always felt guilty that... I could never help her... now I don't know where she is... for all I know she's... gone..." She brushed her pigtails back before they fell into her face, "That's why I want to help people so much... it gives me purpose... it makes me happy... but... I can't even do that... all I've done is add more regrets under my belt... I failed Yakone, and now, with her the way that she is, it's just another person I've hurt who's gone... and now Mary is..."

"Ah, the Commander's daughter. I heard what happened but she was no friend of mine really. I can't find myself as torn up as you do. Though being twisted under captivity is not exactly a new concept to me either." Artyom put his hand on Catherine's head and let it sit there. "But as for your sisters, if they are truly gone from you, then there is nothing you can do at that point. You can't change the person you were before after all."

"I... I just want to make myself better than I was then... But I'm still the same, aren't I? Marx is right... My mom and dad will probably never be able to live a normal life again, just so I can come here and be a spectator... Do I really help as much as him, or you? " Catherine explained.

"We all hold a place on this ship however large or small. If self-gratification is all you seek rather then having the will to help others, then you are not the same girl I decided to take a chance with." The man explained as forward as he could.

"I want to help people!" She replied, almost pleadingly, "That's all I want... But people tell me I don't think of myself enough, what do I want? That I can't help anyone if I can't help myself... It's just all so much..."

"If what you want is to help people, then that is thinking of yourself. You overcomplicate too much. If you slow down instead of rushing into everything beaming to make things right, you miss subtleties like that fact." Artyom shrugged his shoulders dismissively. "But what do I know?"

"I uh... I think you know more than you think you do..." Cathy looked up at him, "You've been through a lot Artyom... I guess you know more than me about going through crisis...

He nodded grimly. "I've been through many. Things work out I suppose. So do not worry if you don't need too. You're face wasn't meant for crying."

"And your face wasn't meant to be cute... but it is..." She responded, her lips perking up for the first time since coming in, "I promise I won't stop trying to help people, and if it starts getting a little rough, I'll just think of you."

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Frostlich1228 and MarineAvenger: "A Dash of Sugar" - Part 2

"If that's what works." Artyom said off-handedly to the girl on his lap.

"You said I helped you, even if it was just a little bit... that makes me happier than you know..." Cathy said, returning the hug that she didn't before.

"It..." He was about to tell her that she was making a big deal over nothing but merely remained silent, tilting up the girl's head, giving her a kiss.

The Chef blushed brightly, surprised by his forwardness, but leaned in, enjoying it as much as she could. After they pulled away, Cathy beamed, "How about we start this thing for real this time?"

Artyom nodded, giving Cathy a small smile. "I would like to try."

"Great!" She exclaimed, before lowering her tone, "So, what's been happening with you? Like I said, you look really good!"

Artyom sat farther back against the wall, breathing out of his nose slowly. "I dealt with some things with the help of Seshat. I do not wish to go into specifics too much. It would be too painful. All that is important is I will be... More normal now."

"Heh, 'normal'," She quoted, "I want you to be you, you don't have to be 'normal'. I am glad you're doing better, though, and if normal's what you want to be, well, I'll be here for you...

"Little would deter you from leaving me huh?" Artyom asked with a wisp of desperation.

"I'll only go if you want me to, or if you... I dunno, join Advent or something, start hurting innocent people, but I know you'd never do that." She answered, trying to be honest with him.

"As I've told you in the past I have murdered innocents." Artyom told the girl solemnly, his face darkening ever so slightly. "You easily forget that."

"But... That's behind you... That's not who you are anymore." She elaborated.

"No, it isn't. And I am happy about that." Artyom said in a bland way that could have suggested otherwise. "Happy I know I will not hurt you."

"You know, I'd love to meet that robot friend of yours sometime." Catherine stated suddenly, hopping up off of his lap, "Seshat sounds really nice."

"That was a rather abrupt transition..." The hacker noted grumpily. "And it is easy to meet her. Just ask someone to talk to her in the communications division."

"Well, she's the one that helped you, isn't she?" The Chef said, realizing her thoughts did in fact jump a bit.

Artyom nodded. "She was indeed. Without her, I likely would not be sitting here how I am. But as I said, it is not something I wish to think about."

"Okay, I'm sorry." She replied sympathetically, "Would you... Like to get something to eat?"

"With you?" Artyom weighed his options carefully and in the end, decided on the course of action he saw best. "I would like that. Maybe afterwards, you can spend some time here. I wouldn't mind it. Especially if you wished to stay over the night. Having time together would do us good."

"Spend the night? Oh ho ho..." She replied, stopping herself from giggling, "Deal..."

He nodded slowly, not sure why she was so giddy.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
A Sister's Convictions
Part One

Caucasus Mountain Foothills, Azerbaijan
1700 Hours, November 2nd 2038
On Board the Avenger
Holo-Room

There was a great hustle and bustle in the Avenger's holo-room, currently acting as a mini concert hall. It sported a packed house, something of a fire hazard perhaps, but many of the ship's workers/residents were eager to see the performance, one of the few forms of regular entertainment on the ship that didn't depend on where the Avenger was located at the time.

Young Brigid Hunnigan, now thirteen, had come a long way since her first performance for the crew. She was largely over the stage fright that plagued her over half a dozen performances ago, though she would have to admit to a few butterflies in her stomach right before each one. Additionally, since the success of the first mini concert, Brigid had attracted a number of different individuals who had musical talents they wished to share, and have thus been on stage with her to display their skills, from drums to flutes to a fellow violinist.

Today was such a day. With Jack working on Brigid's accompanying music as per usual, the young teen started off the performance with a energetic violin piece made a mere ten years ago but with the feel of a piece from the Romantic period of composition. After this, she announced that the main three pieces of the evening would actually be rock and roll songs, with the main rock beats transcribed into violin parts. What's more, her guest that evening would be a vocalist, singing along.

Murmurs crossed the room over who it was that would be singing that evening, and most were surprised when Luna Inverse walked up to the front. Sporting tattered jeans and a T-shirt for Guns 'N Roses, her hair messy and the make-up of a punk rocker on her face, none expected the Chinese woman to be, one, into classic American rock, two, to be a singer, and three, to be willing to perform on stage.

Sure enough, however, Luna got into the music, swaying back and forth as Brigid, accompanied by an instrumental selection Jack had arranged himself, started the first notes of Joan Jett's cover version of 'I love Rock and Roll'. In contrast to anyone's previous apprehensions, Luna seemed to have a great voice for the song, able to hit all the notes and capture the wailing and deep voice needed to bring life to the piece.

Following this, Brigid started up 'Ballroom Blitz' by Sweet, and Luna sang in the loud, energetic style of Tia Carrere. She moved with the music, swaying back and forth with a big smile on her face, obviously having a great time. The third piece was 'Welcome to the Jungle' by Guns 'N Roses, and Luna hit every note, every beat, and every difficult vocal with the precision of a marksman taking out a target, so skilled that none short of Axl Rose himself could have done a better job.

The pair received a standing ovation, with several spectators calling for an encore. While the pair didn't have another piece planned, at least as far as Brigid knew, they had been practicing one more song, and Luna and Jack had prepared for it. Brigid was hesitant when it was brought up, however, as she was the one who would be singing it, not Luna, and she had never sung in front of an audience before.

It took the entire room calling out words of encouragement before she would give it a try. With Jack playing the accompanying music, and Luna joining in on the guitar and backup vocals, Brigid shyly sang "Misunderstanding" by Genesis. She was incredibly nervous, and her voice shook a few times at the start, but by the end she was completely into it, and proved her musical talents weren't limited to her violin.

When it was over, the pair received another grand round of applause. The crew gathered around the two ladies, praising them and talking of their talents, as well as their hopes for future shows soon. Luna was quick to excuse herself, insisting that Brigid was the real talent and she deserved the most attention. She wasn't really that humble, but wanted Brigid to get the bulk of the encouragement. She needed it at her age.

Luna sat at the side of the room, smiling as she watched Brigid play some fast diddy on the violin, the crewmen around her clapping along. "Nice work up there today," Joseph said, taking a seat next to her. "I'm sure I speak for everyone when I said I was impressed. Didn't peg you for a rock and roll fan."

Luna slowly nodded. "My father spent a lot of time in the U.S. before the aliens came. He was fascinated the music, and would play it when he got home all the time. It was infectious... at least for me. My sisters and mother never really got what we saw in it, but my father and I would listen to that music and sing along, even before I fully understood what I was singing. I'd say those classic rock songs were a big influence on me learning English."

"Couldn't really tell English was a second language for you," Joe stated honestly. "You know... watching you up there reminded me of my own sister. She was the eldest of four, the only daughter... and out of my whole immediate family, the only one who wasn't tone deaf. She loved to sing, and was good at it... but always self conscious about it."

"What... ever happened to her, sir?" Luna asked quietly.

Joe slowly sighed. "Not sure to be honest. We drifted apart when I hit my twenties. We didn't have a falling out or anything, just... drifted. Last time I spoke to her was a year before joining XCOM. I'm sure if the aliens haven't gotten to her, she's living happily in one of the megacities. Probably Chicago, though Rebecca did always say she wanted to move to Asia one day. No real reason to look her up while I'm here. I would only put her in danger. Still... what I wouldn't give to see her again. I bet a lot of people here feel that way with their families."

Luna slowly shook her head. "Is this... really about your sister? Or is it about... mine? Did Van Dam say something to you?"

Joseph chuckled. "You caught me. It is about both. And neither Luke nor Lilith said anything to me. I did a little snooping when Lina started saying some unsavory things about you. I didn't believe them, of course, but I figured I'd find out your connection to her. I... convinced the Commander to keep her on board. Just in case..."

"There was no reason to do that," Luna said sternly, if a little sadly. "There is... nothing but hate for me in her. There is no getting through to her. The day I turned my back on her because she wanted to join ADVENT... the day I damned the Protectorate and all it stood for... the day I abandoned my family for a life as a resistance member was the day I died in her eyes. The day I became something... rotten. Something unwanted."

Joe remained silent for a few moments. It was obvious that a torrent of emotions was running through the mind of the woman next to him. He gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "It is... never too late to get back what was thought lost when presented with an opportunity like this. Look at me. I got my wife back after twenty years."

Luna rubbed the back of her neck. "Situation is a liiiitle bit different. You two were hoping to see each other again. The only reason Lina would hope to ever run into me again would be to gut me like a fish."

"Be that as it may, are you honestly saying that, if you could, you wouldn't want to rectify things? Be sisters again?"

Luna shrugged. "Well... of course I would. If it was possible."

Joe patted her should. "Look at it this way; you two are guilty of the same thing in each other's eyes. You both joined a group that the other sees as wrong. As evil. It stands to reason that, should one be able to get the other to see things from their perspective, the reason to hate each other would be gone. So... why not try and show her that we aren't evil? That ADVENT is wrong, that... the alien's necessary evil isn't necessary, and despite what propaganda might say, we have humanity's future foremost in mind."

Luna's eyes darted about as she thought about it. "I... I guess I could try." She glanced over to Joe. "Why... why do this for me? You barely know me. I haven't done anything for your daughter to really gain a favor."

Joe rubbed his chin. "Good question. I guess... the opportunity to do something to help someone might... counter some guilt I have over some things I blame myself for, deserved or otherwise. And you're not the only one who has family in ADVENT, and I'm sure that doesn't just apply to the Commander. If you fail... you'll be in the same position. You have nothing to lose. But if you succeed, not only do you get a sister back, but we all get the joy of seeing that Lilith Van Dam isn't the only member of ADVENT that can be convinced. Maybe we can one day win over more."

"Even one that has been manipulated to a degree... like poor Yakone." Luna nodded, and jumped to her feet.

Joe held up a hand. "Hold on. There is no hurry, and you must be tired. And with the way you were singing, your throat must feel like you were gargling acid."

"Nah, I'm fine. Just a little croaky." Luna walked off, waving back. "Thanks a lot, Mr. Chambers."

"No problem." When she was about to step out of the room, he called out, "Might want to change first! Just a... suggestion."

Luna, having turned left, stopped and went to the right, heading back to her room.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
A Sister's Convictions
Part Two

Thirty Minutes Later

Lina folded her arms as she stared at her sister on the other side of the cell. "They institute some kind of clown make-up as war paint here or something?"

Luna cursed quietly, stepping to the side and grabbing some paper towels to wipe the make-up off her face. To the snickering guard, Cornelia Cruz, she quietly snapped, "Why didn't you say anything?!"

"Because it's funnier this way," Cruz answered, earning a punch in the arm, though her smile remained.

Clearing her throat, Luna stepped in front of her sister again and stated, "You... don't care for me much right now, I know."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "You figure that out just from me lunging at you the other day? Wow... you terrorists are being just the smartest, huh?"

"Cut the att..." Luna took a deep breath, and shook her head. "Just... listen to me. You hate me because I joined XCOM, right?"

Lina shrugged. "I hate you because you broke your family's heart and turned your back on our benefactors to join some terrorist cell, which I assume eventually led you here to XCOM. But yeah, I guess the way you put it is the dumbed down version."

"I followed my heart." Luna folded her own arms, the pair looking like reflections aside from their clothes and shade of skin. They even had the same long, dyed shade of red hair. "You vilify me for not encouraging you joining an organization I didn't believe in, but then do the exact same thing to me. Besides, dad might have disagreed with my decision, but I know mom would have supported me. If she hadn't fallen victim..."

"You have no proof!" Lina snapped. "Don't throw your wild accusations about mom's disappearance to support your side. Remember, I joined ADVENT, and I found no evidence of that."

"You were small fry," Luna countered. "Which is why they left you the way they did. What if you moved up through the ranks and found out they were responsible?"

Lina scoffed and looked away. "I wouldn't have. You're just trying..."

"What if you had!?" Luna stepped closer. "Humor me. What if you had found out they took mom? What if you found out they made her disappear? They do that, you know? Surely you were with them long enough to know that. Maybe you have even participated in it. Would you just accept it? Would your blind devotion to your alien masters allow you to accept whatever bs explanation that come up with for why they had a right to take her away from us?"

Lina kept her head turned away. After several seconds, she whispered, "It... doesn't matter. I wouldn't have found that. So stop it."

Luna stared at her sister, angry fists opening and closing. After an intense minute, she said, "Can I get those cuffs?"

Cornelia sighed, grabbing the cuffs off the table and walking over to the cell. "Are you sure we can trust her not to cause trouble? Because the way she's arguing with you, it doesn't sound like it."

"I'll watch her carefully," Luna assured the woman. "Not like she can go anywhere, even if she wasn't bound. After all, she kinda stands out."

As the cell was opened and Lina was cuffed, she gave her sister a curious, somewhat worried look. "Where exactly are we going?"

Luna smiled. "On a tour of sorts. I want you to meet the people who you call terrorist."

The pair made their way through the Avenger. Luna brought her sister to the Bar so she could see her hated enemies relaxing and trying to enjoy themselves, just like anyone in ADVENT would. They stopped at the Memorial Wall, Luna not saying anything. She only offered a silent prayer while her sister watched.

Lina was shown various location, and Luna stopped to point out some of the staff and soldiers she knew and share their story. Lina was surprisingly quiet and attentive. Luna figured her sister was likely memorizing things, possibly to attempt escape later or to share with ADVENT should she ever see them again. Luna was just happy she was paying attention.

"This is Brigid," Luna said, introducing the crew's youngest member, Morrigan watching Lina like a hawk.

"Warping their minds pretty young, huh?" Lina stated flatly.

"My mind isn't warped." Brigid folded her arms. "I help because ADVENT hurt my mom, and I want to help stop them from ever hurting someone's mom like that again."

Lina faltered a bit when faced with arguing with a young girl. "You... A-ADVENT doesn't 'hurt' anyone unless they... they deserve it."

Morrigan scoffed. "Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm sure my husband said the same thing after he turned me in for voicing a single doubt when I heard my parents were used as scapegoats. ADVENT doesn't just keep the peace. They silence anything that might show their peace for the illusion it is."

Lina said nothing in return. Luna wondered if it was because Morrigan's words reached her, or if Lina figured there was no point in arguing. Luna brought her to the intelligence department, careful not to let her see any of the screens but one; Joseph's. The head of the department showed her various videos of one of their most loyal and dedicated member. Just as Lina was about to ask what the point was, they showed one last video, one in which such a dedicated freedom fighter was suddenly declaring war on her friends and allies. They didn't bother suggesting mind control; they let Lina come to that conclusion on her own.

"Here it is," Jennifer stated at their next stop, the labs. "This solution contains the extracted DNA from... let's just say enough humans to boil our blood."

"Why... would they make something like that?" Lina asked.

"We told everyone why in that hacked message," Luna answered. The look on Lina's face said she knew what she was talking about, but Luna elaborated anyway. "They're searching for and extracting DNA from particular humans to extend their lives. They're deteriorating. This whole 'give humanity a cushy existence' thing is all to pull the wool over our eyes so we don't question the countless people that have disappeared for their experiments. And their end goal."

"What... e-end goal?"

Jennifer sighed, giving Luna a 'if I get in trouble, so do you' look, and led her to the wall of preserved corpses. She pulled one out, revealing one of their latest, greatest adversaries. "Say hello to the Avatar. I still have to do a proper autopsy, but from what we can tell from blood tests and brain analysis is they're looking for humans, not just ones with DNA that can bond to them, but that the Elders themselves can bond to. It is genius in a sick, sick way. Why bother fixing your old, worn down, dying body when you can just transfer yourself, mind and soul, into a healthy, powerful body? One with their power and human vitality. You are seeing one of the first in a new species."

The sisters left the labs, Lina obviously filled to the brim with thoughts, concerns, questions, and, Luna hoped, doubts. As Lina stepped back into her cell, Luna said, "I'll see what I can do about getting you a better place to spend your time here."

Lina gave her a confused glance. "W-why? I'm... still a prisoner."

Luna shrugged. "You're going to be here for a while. Wouldn't kill us to spare an empty room. We could have someone guard that just as well as here. And even if you got out, your skin color means you can't exactly blend in." She walked off without another word. She thought about adding 'and because you're my sister'. But it was too soon for that, and the goal was to convince her, not manipulate her.

That was how ADVENT did things. This was XCOM. They were better then that.

DarkGemini24601

“Standing upon Ashes, We Are Reborn

Ember stood on the outcropping of a tall Tibetan hill, high in altitude and wracked by the winds of change. The sun was at its zenith, but the dark clouds that had reached the top of the world had usurped its crown with their shadowy gray gloves. The sunlight was smothered, and a flurry of rain whipped out of the blackened sky in sharp sheets that splattered against the rocky soil, the crimson armor, and the forcefield that guarded Ember’s face. She stood there with an impatient scowl - sheltered from the elements by her powered armor but nevertheless irritated by their tumultuous display. To her it was a tiresome spectacle that delayed the arrival of her brother’s gift.

Soon enough, though, a man-sized drop-pod tumbled from the heavens beyond Terra, and ended its descent with an impact crater at the foot of the hill. The depression created was a feet feet deep and several feet wide, and would have been deeper if not for the shock-absorbent coating and inner linings that safeguarded the capsule’s fragile cargo. A cold mist sprayed from the inside of the pod as Ember hopped off her perch and approached. A few seconds later, a panel opened and bridged the narrow gap between the First Captain and the container like a gangplank. Onto this landing slithered out a gray slug the size of a cat, which had two antennae that twitched towards Ember as it approached her.

“What the hell is this thing?” Ember muttered with tinges of revulsion in her voice that twisted her features. Reminding herself that it was a present from Patrem, Ember reached out with a star-marked glove extending towards the alien creature. Then, her fingers recoiled away from the slug as it neares. N-no! Yakone managed to break through as a sense of dread overwhelmed her. “Get away from me!” she shouted in defiance of the Honored Overseer’s wishes and the approaching alien parasite’s purpose. Yakone reached for a sword - then faltered for a moment, her mental conditioning fighting for dominance and delaying the subsequent withdrawal and ignition of the fusion blade.

By the time the weapon was out it was too late.

“W-where did it-?!” Yakone cried out, the gray slug having vanished from view. Faster than it appeared, the parasite had snuck past the rebellious woman, darting between her legs and then leaping up on her back. An antenna tapped the back of her armor, inputting a code that prompted the flexible gray plates to slide ipen and admit the Silicid into the Crimson Regalia. The alien creature diappeared into Yakone’s armor, and a moment later she felt its cold body line her back and its antennae slid under the flesh of her neck to connect with her PCS chips and her brain stem.

“No, please, don’t!” Yakone pleaded to no avail. “STOP!” she screamed, her voice ringing out to the pitch-dark sky. And yet, no salvation came.

Yakone was sucked back into Ember’s dreamscape, into that detestable cell she had been imprisoned in. The darkness of the room enveloped her, clouding her judgement, disassociating the difference between mental landscape and physical location due to the Silicid worming its way into her brain. Soon convinced she really was imprisoned, Yakone’s eyes lit up with hope due to a fiction she began to hallucinate. The door was blown down by a magnetically-propelled explosion, and the wrecked slab of metal that was the wall caved in on itself. Backlit by a golden halo of daylight, standing in the doorway as her savior, was Leon Sinclair.

“There you are,” Leon whispered, having finally reached his girlfriend.

Tears of joy welled up in Yakone’s eyes. “You really came…” An icy helix severed the bonds holding Yakone back, and Atka allowed the two to embrace tightly with a glint of approval in her cornflower blue irises. The pair hugged as if the world would end if they let go, and only after a long period of relieved sobbing from Yakone did she ask, “how long have I been here?”

“Too long… though I came just in time to give you a chance to still make a difference,” Leon answered coolly. “Get that cape fixed up, ‘cause we’re going to blast through the remaining Overseers and take out the High Commander himself.”

And so Yakone repaired her cape, suited up in the some power armor of her very own - painted in her colors - and took the fight to the Declensions. She fought side by side with all of her dear allies, valiantly taking down the remaining continental rulers that remained in play. One by one they were blown apart by the avenging onslaught of the Resistance, until only the Ethereal Protectorate leader remained - standing in the enemy capital like a tower of darkness. Exultations for the hero named Yakone Ipiktok surrounded the marauding crusader as she marched down the streets of the liberated megacities, approaching the High Commander himself. She fought a difficult battle alongside her comrades, but it eventually culminated in his defeat. Most satisfying of all, Thanatos’mitctlanmarcaria was unable to slay a single one of the freedom fighters that opposed him. It was a crushing victory for XCOM.

Afterwards, Yakone made another one of her dreams manifest - this one a more recent thought that had floated around in her mind briefly before being buried by the reality of her capture and her corruption into Ember. She stood just outside a chapel in Toronto, tugging at a white dress around her form. “I’m not sure if this suits me… are you sure…?”

Alexis smiled, patting her best friend on the back. “It’ll be fine… get in there.”

Taking a deep breath, Yakone pushed the alabaster doors open, and strode into the church. Lining the pews were her friends and family, cheering the young woman on as she walked past a bed of flowers laid out by a certain shortcake. The Inuit-Caucasian ascended those fateful steps, rising up on a crimson-colored carpet to come face to face with the dapper-dressed groom that was Leon. A chandelier made of silicon hung over them, illuminating them in a gray light that dampened the intensity of all color - but Yakone did not notice it. She only could heard the ceremonial rites of the priest as a faint buzz while she gazed at her love, and then exchanged vows with him. Then, they met in a kiss that gave Yakone overflowing happiness and contentment that obscured all else.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

Yakone clenched a gauntleted fist. The storm’s intensity had dimmed, and the 1st Captain had a look of ecstasy upon her face. Despite being mentally separated from the fantasy that her true self was being consumed by, the perversion called Ember still experienced echoes of the good dream - as well as the waves of contentment that washed over her from the Silicid that had fused with her nervous system. Its body had integrated onto key points of her neuron pathways. It was most prominent as a clay-like substance over her spine and neck, but strands of gray lay underneath the back of her hair and all over her limbs too. “Marvelous,” Ember mewled, grasping and unclasping her hands for a few seconds more - awash with slavish ardor.

As she did so, the parasite fulfilled its second purpose - merging with the Crimson Regalia. The rest of the Silicid’s mass dove into the circuity and servos of the powered armor - taking control of it all and sharing that enhanced operation power with Ember in a facade of a symbiotic relationship. To the brainwashed soldier it was mutually beneficial. The light plates on her stomach armor separated, reshaping into a toothy maw that temporarily opened up to send tendrils of silicon into the alloy drop-pod - consuming its materials and adding them to the suit of armor the creature now inhabited.

The devoured metals bulged Ember’s shoulderpads upwards, causing them to swell into isosceles triangular pauldrons that towered over her head, dwarfing her forehead’s height by a factor of two. Onto them formed a black, screen-like material, upon which were alien eyes. They had gray, silicon-colored ‘whites’, a dilayered iris with red on the outer band and green in the inner circle, and then pure, stark-white pupils that shined with a dangerous intelligence.

Ember tilted her head back slightly, her excited smile slowing bleeding into a smug grin. The now-sentient Crimson Regalia telepathically communicated its name to her. Ember chuckled. “Well, Praclaritas… the pleasure of being worn by you is out of this world… and the power!” Psionic energy from the Silicid flowed through her body, and she struck the side of the hill - blowing away the dirt and shattering stone. Physical enhancement had combined with a synthetic boost and her servo’s might to render her superhuman attributes. “I’ll be able to crush them all now!” Pulling her fist back, Ember noted that the power of her punch had damaged her armor. Almost immediately after using her Overdrive, though, the process automated itself.

I have imprinted upon your Overdrive ability, as I aligned myself to the Domination skill of the Honored Overseer, the slightly-garbling voice of the Silicid spoke in her head. I will be unable to sample more powers, but this should be sufficient… you will not need to worry about repairing your armor - and can therefore conserve your strength for offensive maneuvers.

“Oh?” Ember smirked as the rents in her armor straightened themselves back into shape. “So the Facisimile bibliography is based off your kind…”

Correct. We Lutumax - the ‘Mindleeches’, or Yorin, that you fought are part of the same genus as Silicids such as I - are capable of such integration. We are silicon-based lifeforms that do not conform to the typical color alignment of normal organics. I am capable of biotechnical reshaping: a mixture of biokinesis, technokinesis, and magnokinesis. Those abilities cannot be used separately, but they allow full assimilation of an external shell such as this armor. And then Mind Fusion - a trait shared with the Yorin - allows this mind link. Without it, I wouldn’t be able to speak to you, or protect you from yourself.

“I see, I see… I can feel the established bond already. As if we are kin, as if we are one.”

Fitting, considering where my species originated.

Ember perused her partner’s mind for a moment. “Europa, huh? I bet Tygan would love to hear that. Too bad I’m going to rip out his throat with your help.” There was no outcry from Yakone this time - only blissful silence. Ember’s grin grew to ferocious lengths. “Thank you, Praclaritas… from the bottom of my heart. I am free now!”

I was born expressly to serve your purposes. The Crimson Regalia’s eyes took on a serious oval shape, and the stomach ‘mouth’ grinned wide, matching the wolfish smile of the wearer. And so I shall! Death shall be dealt upon XCOM very soon!

“I’m going to enjoy crushing their hope and extinguishing their lives, one by one!” Ember agreed. “Together, Praclaritas, we shall destroy them all!"

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53
My Synthetic Friend
Part One

On Board the Avenger
Outside of Engineering

Brigid let out a quiet yawn, wiping her eyes as she made her way through the halls. Artyom had proven to be a decent teacher, especially considering his student was a teen, but he started early and was strict, often warring Brigid down. She had learned a lot, however, and was determined to stick with it. From computer programming to computer software, he was packing her brain with knowledge.

Didn’t stop her from being tired, though. She wandered into engineering, heading towards the back. She hoped to see her mother, and if not, sneak some Zs in her workspace. As she was walking by one of the workspaces, she would notice the corner of her eye a new figure she had not yet seen. He was currently sitting in a chair, reading a rather thick book and didn’t seem to be bothered by the buzz around him. However, Brigid could easily see the dark gray, metallic hands that clutched the reading.

“Oh… robot man?” Brigid peaked into the workspace, checking to see if it was simply a man with arms like the Commander’s. It didn’t seem that way, unless the majority of his body was replaced with cybernetics. She slowly stepped inside, her natural curiosity consuming her as she stepped behind him, taking in this new, unusual figure.

He wore rather unusual clothing for an engineering assistance, having donned his -or rather who he used to be- clothing from the old world. It was a buttoned over labcoat that was a more lighter gray in it’s color then his metallic body. With it, he additionally wore a pair of old jeans that were torn in several smaller places. The book he was reading was of the philosophical kind of an old Enlightenment scientist, turning the pages slowly as he was about halfway into it. After a few moments of observance passed, he spoke up. “You know I see you, right?”

Brigid jumped, a small yelp escaping her lips. “No… I mean yes… I mean, um… uh… hi?” She slowly walked to the side so she was in full view.

“Hi.” The android placed a marker into the spine between the pages and he set aside the literature on the table next to him, putting his hands together over his knee while one leg went over the other. “What do I owe the pleasure of having a little snoop?”

“Well, I was… curious. I’ve never seen someone like you before.” Brigid’s eyes darted up and down him in a manner that said she was not trying to be too obvious in her fascination but didn’t know how to be subtle about it. “Are… you a cyborg?”

“A cyborg would mean I would have some sort of organic component. No, I am an android. I am completely mechanical.” He extended his free hand, offering the girl a smile. “My name is Galen.”

“Mine is Brigid.” She cautiously took his hand, shaking it while feeling the metallic fingers. “Whoa… so, um… does that mean you, like, um… have a computer for a brain?”

The android nodded, letting her hold onto his hand so she could observe it. “Once upon a time there was someone like me who was alive. When he died, I was made in his image. If that makes sense, I am him reborn I suppose. An old associate of Lily’s father.”

“Oh?” Brigid finally withdrew her hand and scratched her head. “I once read this book where this guy died, and they to his, um… like, brainwaves and memories and stuff, and put it in a robot body, but it was, like, human like, and he didn’t know he was a robot until he got hurt, and he was all shocked when he found out. Is it… kinda like that?”

Galen gave it some thought, then slowly shook his head. “In some ways it is similar but in many it is not. Unfortunately how I was created was a first of its kind experiment. It was in no way perfect so the memories I do retain are memories that are not mine, but of a dead man. Still, they are interesting the ones I do remember. Like watching old home movies of a stranger you never knew.”

“Oh… cool.” Brigid smiled at him, twiddling her thumbs. “Can I ask you some questions?” She lightly knocked on her head. “Oops. I already asked some. I mean some more questions. I’ve never met an android man.”

Galen nodded with a smile. “Go ahead little one.”

The teen needed a moment to articulate her thoughts, not wanting to sound dumb in front of the interesting android. “Can you… feel? Like… do you have emotions and stuff?”

“I suppose that is the golden question everybody wants to know. To be honest I don’t know if my emotions are genuine or artificial. No one can know.” Galen replied, putting his cheek on a fist.

“But they are there, right?” Brigid scratched her head. “What about… empathy? I read this other book, which my mom said they made into a movie and then a book was made from the movie based on the book… anyway, it had this guy who hunted rogue androids, and the only way to tell the difference between them and humans was they couldn’t empathize.”

“Well, if you were to fall down and hurt your knee I would carry you. If you were to cry I would pat your back. I suppose it may have been altered slightly since ADVENT hurt me in order to make their splinter A.I.” Galen tried to keep simple for the girl before him, tapping the side of his head in thought.

“Would you… pull the legs off of a spider to see if it could live with only four legs?” Brigid asked.

“Uh… that would seem… stupid to do. Probably not at all.” The android answered, seemingly taken off guard by the completely random question.

The answer made Brigid smile. “Yeah, it is stupid, huh? I think you do have empathy?” She rocked back and forth. “So, are you alive? I know some people might say yes, and some people might so no. But what do you think?”

“Well, I don’t eat, I don’t sleep, and really all I need to stay functional is to be maintained and to not be shot in a processing unit. In my direct opinion, I am not alive. Merely simulate what it is to be alive. I’ve seen arguments otherwise but since I cannot reproduce, I am essentially like a watch, or a book. Made to serve a purpose. That purpose being a replacement for a life lost.” Galen raised an eyebrow questioningly. “Is that good enough to satisfy your question?”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53
My Synthetic Friend
Part Two

“I guess.” Brigid frowned. “Sounds kinda sad, not being a living being but smart enough to know it. Does it bother you? Do you ever wish to be alive?”

“To do… what? What would I be able to do differently if I was human as opposed to how I am now?” The android asked the girl with a curious look.

“Well, um… you could…” Brigid scratched her head. “Um… enjoy food? Yeah. And… have children. And, uh… I… I don’t know. I guess… it was a silly question, huh?”

The engineering assistant smiled at the girl and he offered for her to grab a seat and sit next to him. When she complied, he asked his question to her. “Do you enjoy food Brigid? And wish to have little kids?”

“Well… yeah.” She shrugged. “I mean, food is really tasty. It makes me feel happy when I eat ice cream, and satisfied when I fill up my stomach after a good meal. And… well, I like little kids. I think I’d like a little girl someday. Once I’m older, of course.”

“Why a little girl?” Galen asked. “Why not a little boy of your own?”

Brigid seemed to give it a lot of thought, then nodded. “I would like a boy too. I mean, a girl I could teach to be a lot like me, but a boy would be a lot of fun too because they’re so different then girls. Maybe… at least one of each someday.”

“Whatever would bring you happiness I suppose you should go out and aspire to someday. As for me, all I wish to do is fulfill what I was designed to do and help Ms. Shen win her war effort. Once we have achieved victory it is her prerogative to decide what to do with me, whether I am further needed or if I shall be scrapped. I do not think she would ever decide on something such as that, but a new world will mean that people will be less accepting of foreign ideas again. What is more foreign than a synthetic such as myself?”

“Um… an alien android from Mars?” Brigid offered. “And I don’t think that’s fair. You shouldn’t be scrapped for being different. That is hardly a good excuse. Besides, what about your friends? I doubt they would want you to be taken apart.”

“I do not have as many as you may think Brigid. I have not been here long, and I really only know An-Yi and the Commander. Also you now, but other then those three all I have are my fragments, and they have been taken by the others of this resistance in order to be better soldiers.” Galen explained with a slight sigh. “So only a small group would speak up.”

“Do you… miss them? The fragments, I mean.” Brigid lightly kicked her feet. “My mom has one, you know. He’s angry a lot, but in a way that makes him fun to watch.”

“In a way they are me. Parts of me anyways that have been repurposed. They are more like my children now than they are my twins. I suppose I do miss them though, to answer your question. A lot happened to take them from me.” The artificial teen said with a sad look.

“Hmm… you’re an artificial man who can’t reproduce… but you kinda did with them… and you miss them.” Brigid scratched her cheek. “You might not consider yourself alive… but that sounds like how any living parent would feel, you know?”

“Well with human reproduction there is some emotional connection with another human. My reproduction came from ADVENT scientists subjecting me to many different emotional trials. Extreme anger, extreme joy… all the emotional splinters came from their own separate trial. How they made me endure the trial was different each time.”

“That… sounds extremely… unpleasant.” Brigid rubbed her arm nervously. “Is that why you’re helping us? To get back at them? Or… are you only doing it because Dr. Shen wanted you to?”

“Mainly only because of Lily’s want for me to be here. My purpose is to serve her after all. You say it as if that is a bad thing.” Galen noted with a perplexed look.

“No, I guess it isn’t… if you’re just a machine.” Brigid sighed, lowering her head. “I just have a hard time thinking of you like that, I guess. ‘Cause you, like… talk like a person, and seem to think like a person, and interact with me like a person. So I feel like I should treat you like a person, not a robot meant to serve the purposes of his masters. Feels less like using a machine and more like…” She didn’t want to finish.

Galen shook his head and put his hand on top of Brigid’s head and rubbed it a bit. “Don’t worry about it too much Brigid. I am not unhappy serving this purpose. In the end I am what I am. Little will ever change that.”

She nodded. “Hey, Galen?”

“What is it little one?” The android asked questioningly.

“You said you don’t have a lot of friends, right? Would you mind being… my friend?”

“I was under the assumption we already were.” The artificial teen answered with a soft smile.

Brigid giggled, her face lighting up with the biggest of smiles. “Good… great! Oh… if only I could show you to Timmy and Betty back at my old home. They would be so jealous! I’m friends with an android. The first of his kind on Earth. I must be the luckiest girl ever.”

Galen laughed slightly at the girl’s enthusiasm, putting an arm around her to give her a hug and bring her close. “Maybe. Thank you for this Brigid. It means a lot. You are very sweet.”

“Of course.” She hugged him back. “Anything for a friend.”After a minute, she released him and glanced at a watch of some cat cartoon character she was unfamiliar with, but she liked it. “I… better go see my mom. She might be expecting me right now. But maybe we can talk some more later. Or do other things that you enjoy.”

“I would like that very much.” Galen said with a nod of his head, patting her on the back. “See you later.”

Brigid jumped off her chair. “I hope you like music,” she said excitedly, running off to join her mother.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
The Friend of a Boyfriend is my Friend
Part One

On Board the Avenger
Engineering

"So exactly how far did it extend?" Jennifer asked, fiddling with Alexis' Biofield Amplifier, the pair combining their knowledge of bio engineering and mechanical engineering to properly calibrate it.

Alex shrugged. "I don't know. Didn't have to to whip out the ol' yard stick. A few feet? Five... six..."

"Hmm... we need to... calibrate it to your specific bioelectrical energy reading," Jennifer muttered, looking over some papers.

"My... whaty what now?"

Jenn glanced up. "Oh, the, uh... I guess the... frequency at which your powers work, based on... biology, psionic type, stuff like that. I have a theory that they are unique for all people, like a finger print, and if we can adjust the device to your specific one, we should make it easier for your powers to be amplified, extending range. Though extending potency is still primarily a factor of the amount of work you put into developing your powers."

"Got it." Alexis grinned, pulling a few tools out of her belt. "I know how to adjust it. Just need you to look at the numbers and tell me whether to turn left or right for the lock's right combination."

Alice was pacing through her work station, working on a few mec designs. "Hum, no, that won't work. Too many heavy weapons. They would slow it down. Unless we want to make it a tank, then fine. But if we add Jet boots to it, then it might work."

Spark started to beep, getting Alice's attention. "What is it?" Alice turned around to see a purple haired woman and a green haired woman. "Interesting hair colors." She looked at her own hair and realized she couldn't say much. She walked over to their station out of curiosity.

"Hey, if you knew, say... Yakone's specific energy whatsits, could you..." Alex noted the incoming woman and smiled. "Hey. You new here?"

"Oh hi, yes, I'm new to the ship. The name is Alice Grant. Robotic expert. I make robots, take them apart, go over their inner workings, and put them back together." Alice realized she was still wearing her googles" Oh, now were are my manners? Sorry ,I just need to take these off." She removed them so she could get a better look at the near twins.

"Well, my name is Alexis Chambers, part time engineer, full time soldier, overtime badass. And this is my younger sister."

"Hey," was all Jennifer said, barely glancing away from her instruments, and earned a slap on the arm from Alex. "Ow... bitch." She sighed and smiled at Alice. "Jennifer Chambers. Biology, micro-biology, genetics, and autopsies." She offered her hand.

"Well it's nice to meet you both." Alice looked at Alexis. "Now if I heard correctly, you're Luke's girlfriend. Well it's nice to meet someone that can give Luke some peace."

"Luke?" Alexis scratched her head. "He didn't mention someone he knew was on board. How long have you been here?"

"Well probably a few weeks. Not many people trust me because I used to be with ADVENT. And I also was one of several engineers that made the MECs that fight your guys, sorry about that."

Jennifer let out a quick, short laugh. "Just... 'sorry about that' she says. You realize how many... h-hope much... the kind of damage..."

"Jenn, she's probably heard it all before from half the people here." Alexis shrugged. "What's done is done. She's with us now."

Jennifer took a deep breath, and nodded. "Alright. Sorry." She looked down at her papers again and mumbled, "Suggest you avoid certain individuals that are less forgiving then us. O'Brien would have a field day with you if she knew..."

"Yeah, and I'm guessing the majority of the staff wants my head on a pike, and I don't blame them in a way. But I hate ADVENT too. My babys were suppose to be a peaceful enforcers not have human brains stuffed into them. They tainted my work and they will pay for that. I will create a MEC that will trump them."

"Good to hear. Seeing someone who worked for ADVENT join our side is... heart lifted." Alexis gave the woman a nervous smile. "So, uh... h-how do you know Luke?"

Alice seemed confused by Alexis nervousness. "Well if you think me and Luke dated, we didn't. Luke and I are friends. Nothing more, nothing less. We never dated, though I will admit he is handsome. One of the only guys I had a crush on. You could really tell him apart for most people in the magacity."

"Well, he does kinda tower over everyone," Jennifer stated.

Alexis let out another laugh. "I didn't think you two... I was just curious. Never even crossed my mind you two... might have..."

"Sombody's jealous," Jennifer sung in a low voice.

"It's fine. Like I said, we're friends. He just does his usual flirting, nothing more." Alice started to grin at Alexis."Actually, we did have a small thing, kissing here and there, messing around when no one is looking. You know, the things you two do now."

"Oh... you did, did you?" Alexis rubbed her wrists.

Jennifer raised an eyebrow. "I don't think Luke has told you the exact extent of the things the two of them do, Alice. Unless he has, and you two were a lot more intimate then you're willing to admit."

"I'm joking. I'm just trying to get a rise out of you. You know, having fun. I'm sorry if I worried you. Listen, Luke is crazy about you. He talks about you constantly. Now, me and Luke are just friends. We never kissed or anything else. I had my mind on other things like my machines."

Alexis nodded, wiping her forehead. "Sorry, didn't... I was just... you know, I'm not used to..."

Jennifer chuckled, amused. "What my tongue tied sister is trying to say is this is her first real relationship, so she isn't used to the whole... female friend of the boyfriend thing. I'm sure she isn't showing distrust for her boyfriend or anything."

Alexis huffed and turned away, folding her arms. "Like you would know. You've never even had a date, let alone had an intimate relationship with someone..." Jenn only rolled her eyes.

"Well you two are very interesting people. I don't think I've met two people as interesting as you two. The magacity is filled with boring people, all with there heads down. " Sparks started two looked at the twins, and started to beep.

"Sparks, come on, their friendly. Sorry, he's kind of nervous, I think him losing his last two users got his all shaken up poor thing." Alice started to rub Spark as if it was her pet.

"Oooo... a gizmo." Alexis walked over to Sparks, looking him over. "Who were his first two users? What kind of A.I. does it have? Can I dissect it to see how it works? Jenn gets all the fun with that."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
The Friend of a Boyfriend is my Friend
Part Two

With a loud beep, Sparks went behind Alice. "Alright first off, I don't know who his last two owners were. He has a very basic AI. Now as for dissecting him, HELL no! This one is mine and no one can touch him." Alice eyes widened. "Huh, so this is how Lily felt when she first meet me."

"Alright, alright. No need to get your panties in a bunch." Alexis folded her arms and grinned. "Just joking. Trying to get a rise outta you, you know."

Alice's puffed her cheeks out. "It's fine. Oh, now I see why you and Luke like each other. But if you want to talk about taking things apart, you want to see my designs for the MEC I'm hoping to build?"

"Yeah, of course." Alexis walked over to Alice and looked back. "I'll be back in a bit, okay?"

Jennifer waved her hand. "Yeah, yeah. Go have fun while I do all the work."

Alice looked at Jennifer. "Well she's energetic. Say by any chance are you a scientist? I've been meaning to get my hands on some data on the aliens?"

"A biologist and geneticist wouldn't be much good here in engineering." Jennifer looked over to the woman. "What kind of information are you looking for? What do you need it for?"

"Well, if I plan on creating the MEC I want to, I'm going to need information on every alien you fought. As well as other MEC, and of course ADVENT solders. That way it can aim for weak spots and of course make the solders job much easier."

Jennifer smiled. "I see. Alright. I'll send you my files from my past autopsies as soon as I get back to the labs."

"Great, now I just need the resources and to get the commander and Shen to trust me enough to get this project off the ground."

"One step at a time. You'll get it eventually. Now come on!" Alexis grabbed Alice's hand and pulled her. "You said you'd show me those plans."

"Oh, right." Alice took the sister to her workstation, and she saw a bunch of papers and designs for not only robots, but also robot limbs and robotic organs. "Sorry that the place is a mess. I just have so many ideas and I just have to write them down."

"Oh, cool." Alexis lifted one of the plans, looking it over. "Is this a... synthetic heart? Does it work? I mean... would it work if you made it?"

"I'm not sure. I need test subjects for it. I can run simulations on it. Now in a simulations, yes it works, but in real world scenario, I don't know if it would work. I mean, it's not like I have a line of people losing limbs and important organs."

"Well, stick around here. Bound to happen eventually," Alexis said grimly. "What about this MEC you keep talking about. I want to see those plans."

"Right, my plans. Now where did I put... oh, here they are." Alice opened a drawer and pulled out her multiple plans for a MEC. "I came up with so many ideas. One idea is to make one a tank. Impenetrable armor, repair systems, jet boots. Now as for weapons, I was thinking of giving it a rocket launcher. a grenade launcher, a flamethrower, and a huge kind of mini gun for it's primary fire. The thing about this one is that it will be slow but it will hold any positions you put it in."

Alexis nodded as she looked over the plans. "What if we came up with some kind of repair system for it. Like... use the nanites we use to heal flesh and reprogram them to repair mechanical damage. As long as someone is carrying something like that, it would be okay if it was a little slow, because we could to short term repairs on the field."

"Hum, that could work, and it's a good idea. That way, when it holds an area, if it's repair systems get scrambled, there would be some one there to fix it." Alice pulled out another plan. "Alright, now as for this one, a lot less bulky. This one is built for speed. It's armor is still heavy but no heaver then the juggernaut class. This one, I'd would consider giving it a, cloaking system, a massive shot gun, and a sword. This one is meant to get behind enemy lines and take them down one by one. I was also planing on giving it a gremlin to hack ADVENT systems.

"It would be hard to keep something this big off detection systems. Perhaps... some kind of built in jamming system?" Alex offered. "And a sonic disruptor to temporarily hide the noise it makes, even for a few seconds?"

"That could work as well. Wow, you're really smart. You're not just a pair of big boobs and good looks."

Alex grinned. "I'll take that compliment. Though I just have a decent imagination." She slowly scanned one of the other plans. "Soooo... about you and... Luke. When you said you once... had a crush on him... were you just playing around, or was that true?"

Alice started to blush. "Yeah, I used to have a crush on him. He was just so different form everyone in the magacity. His size, his charm, how his demeanor screamed 'respect me'. I also felt sorry for the man. The first time I saw him, he didn't care for life. He looked like he was a broken man. Guess you could say I wanted to help him. Then when I heard his story. He obviously left things out, but from what he told me I felt sorry for him."

"So... what happened?" Alexis put the plans to the side, turning all her attention to Alice. "If you like him like that, why didn't anything more develop? Did you ever try and become more then friends with him?"

"It didn't feel right. I can't help it. I didn't know how to. But I hear you do. Yes, I care for Luke, and I will stand by his side no matter what. But I'm not meant to be with his."

Alexis nodded. "Thank you. I appreciate that. And I wouldn't want my jealousy to get in the way of your friendship with him. Or... your friendship with me."

Alice looked at Alexis. "Wait you want to be my friend?" Alice hugged Alexis and held her tight. "I never had friends before. Everyone of my coworkers were such a bore. But you seem energetic and lively. I think we can get along swimmingly, and your creative as well so that's a bonus."

"Yeah, me too," Alexis agreed. "And my sister isn't bad once you get past her poor socializing skills. And I know a few others that you'd really like and would see past the whole 'former ADVENT' thing."

"That's great to hear. I'm so glad to be with this program. I can be as creative as I want to be, and I can meet some great people."

"And do some great things." Alexis rubbed her shoulder. "I need to go finish on that thing with my sister before someone gets on my case. But next time I get a chance, I'll start getting you more friends. And we can share embarrassing Luke stories."

"Oh, I do have some embarrassing stories about Luke. Some he probably doesn't want you to know about."

"Those are the best kind." Alexis winked and ran off, heading back to her sister.

Alice waved at Alexis and looked over her work. "Sparks, I think I just had another idea for a MEC. How about a medical MEC?"

Sparkes started to beep at Alice. "Aww, come on, it could be a good idea. Let's work on the design."

Dahlexpert

Making the family proud

On board the Avenger

Solder barracks

Luke is in his dreamscape going over the battle he had not just with the commander but Ember as well. Alright, let’s go over the fight with the commander. Luke went over the battle with the commander. Alright let’s go over this again, Luke went over the battle with the commander first.

“Alright I left myself open there I should not have done that, that’s where she mind frayed me, that was my downfall. But thanks to that I did use my powers to the fullest without passing out, so I am getting stronger, so strong in fact that I did break a piece of her ward. And then there's the battle with Ember, ou yes when she got inclose to me she disabled my powers I can’t do that anymore. Sigh the commander was right, I’m to arrogant now how can I combat this?”

Lilith taped Luke on his shoulder trying to get his attention.” Luke...Luke time to wake up, come on you can’t train all day.”

Luke got out of his dreamscape and looked at Lilith. “Hay mom, ugh is there a reason why you're waking me up?”

“Yes actually, with everything going on and your power getting stronger and also after your last mission. I think you're in need of a talk with your mother, I been working on the last potion for a while now it’s been to long since you talked to your mother. And since there is no other red psion on the ship why not.” lilith poured the drink into a cup and gave it to Luke “I hope you enjoy talking to your mother, with everything that is going on with your relationship,and the missions you been on, and you're powers getting stronger and maturing I’m sure she has a lot to say.”

Luke nods his head and drank the potion, Luke wint limp and fell onto the bed. While knocked out Luke once again returned to his former village and seeing how lively it was.

Well well it’s been awhile since you been home, welcome back son.

Luke hugs his mother, after not seeing her in months. “Hi mom sorry it’s been so long since I last visited you, but those potions are hard to make. I missed you so much we had so little time then.”

Scarlet hugged her son back. "It’s good to see you two Luke, I've been watching you and I have to say I’m proud of you, so very proud. You've grown so much since the last time I saw you, you're taking your relationship seriously, you're getting stronger with your powers and not to mention I’m seeing you take steps to improve yourself. I see you training with others, practicing with the commander and trying to rally your Leon friend.” Scarlets expression started to darken but she still hade her soft expression as well. But i’m guessing there is a reason you came to me today and it’s not just for a visit.

“Yes, the commander said I was arrogant and I need help to see if I can improve on that. Also can you explain red psions to me again.

"Yes of course.First and foremost, we red psions are very strong, our powers are very powerful. How ever when you're scared like you have been your powers can not reach their full potential. Scarlet pointed her finger at Luke face. "Youve been afraid Luke afraid to use your fire, you still see your fire as a cure don’t you?! You still think your fire is evil, you're scared that you will one day burn the ones that you care about that you will lose control and hurt everyone around you."

Luke looks stunned at his mom. “What are you talking about i’m not scared of my-

Scarlet slapped Luke across the face. Don’t you lie to me, i’m your mother I know everything about you. I've been watching you for years I have seen how scared you are of your flames.

Luke looks shocked that his mom slapped him, he clenches his fist and yeals. “And why shouldn't I be scared! It’s fire It can slowly kill people, have you heard the screams of your enemys it’s a very fuck up power to have!”

"Yes I understand that, but the reason you're scared of your flames is not because you will hurt people it’s because of this. The scenery around Luke started to change, Luke is back at his village and he is in his house surrounded by fire, he can hear gun and plasma shots being fired.

“WAAAAA. Mommy Daddy where are you!?” a very young Luke is surrounded by fire and can’t see any way out of his burning home.” Mommy Daddy help me, Where are you!” Luke clenched his fist, and his arm started to shake. “Stop it, stop it. Please stop it!” The fire around Luke started to disappear and Scarlet grabbed her son, and held him.

You're scared of your fire not because you're scared to hurt people, but because your a pyrophobic. You think you conquered your fear but, when it comes to battle seeing the fire and being shot at with plasma and mag rounds it’s too much for you to bear.

Luke is on his knees covered in sweet and is breathing rapidly. “Tell me how I can get over it, please mom. I want to protect my friends and yes my firecracker and psi lance is great but how can I get over this fear? “

As painful as it is, this is something you need to find out yourself. You need to find a way to get past this, you must be strong and face this challenge. Scarlet put Luke back in his home surrounded by fire, he is also remembering all the people he burned by accident. The buildings he set on fire.

“Why are you showing me this, mom why are you putting me through this.” Luke saying while on his knees.

Because Luke your fire is not a curse, it’s apart of you , fire is horrible yes it is dangerous. But it’s also beautiful, fire brings life and energy to the earth. The sun for instance the sun is a great big ball of fire, but it’s rays feed the plant and it’s fire that kept our ancient ancestors alive it separates us from the common animal. Scarlet took a knee next to Luke, who is holding his head. Luke your fire is nothing to be afraid of, it’s a part of you. You can not let be afraid of something so simple, You're stronger then this.

Luke started to slowly get up. And started to walk forward and looked at his younger self. “Sniff sniff, who are you?”

Luke sat next to his younger self. “I’m you many years later, and one day you become big and strong and a pretty cool person.”

The young Luke looked up at is adult self. “So do I become a hero, just like mom and dad?”

“Yea, you have great friends, that care for you. Some more then others, but first you can’t be scared. The fire won’t hurt you, in fact.” Luke started to control the fire and clear the way for his younger self. “See you can control this, there is no reason to be afraid of it do you understand?”

“I can control the fire? I can help other people with this power, and save others like a comic book hero!? The young Luke said in excitement

“Yea you do, now it’s time for you to go your mom and dad and have a good life.”

The young Luke started to fade away, into memory and Luke looked at him mother.” That was, weird talking to my younger self.”

"That was sweat Luke, give yourself more time son and keep going over this memory. Everyday and get over this also work on this psi power called neural feedback this ability will repel all mental psi attacks, for someone with the power you have must learn this."

“Yea I will, some how. I don’t know how but I will. Ou and mom how do I deal with my arrogance, how do I become less arrogant?”

"Arrogance and confidence are two sides of the same coin, to be confident is to be arrogant., Don’t succumb to it, do not think you're above your enemy, never let your guard down. You are powerful and strong, but to be strong with no true opponent will make you arrogant you will become full of yourself. Do not do this, I want you to train with your fellow psions and the commander even more. Become strong with everyone, and look to surpass the strongest person you faced. For you that is the commander, keep training and try to surpass commander Atka. Then if you do surpass her, aim higher and higher until you're strong enough to protect and defend everyone around you.”

Luke started to smile and he stood up. “Yea alright, I will become strong stronger than I ever been and I will make ADVENT fear the van dam name. And I will bring our name back from the ashes.”

Scarlet looks at her son and smiles at him.”That’s nice to hear, but Luke just fight for your friends don’t worry about your tribe for now. Also Luke, your father is very very proud of you. just keep making us proud alright son.

“Yea alright, I will talk to you later mom.” Luke hugged his mother and woke up.

“So how was your mother.”

Tears started to roll down Luke’s face. “It...It was a good talk, i’m tired I’m gonna go to sleep now.”

Lilith rubbed Lukes head. “Well then get some sleep, you could use the rest after talking to your mother. Good night Luke.”

Luke laid on the bed and shut his eyes closed, and started to fall asleep.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemin24601 & ZombieSplitter53
Co-Conspirators
Part One

The Alps
Matterhorn Megacity
Protectorate Facility

The European Overseer stared down at his desk, transfixed by an item of this planet, swinging back and forth, the ball on one side of the set causing the one opposite to fly up. Such a pointless device, one only beings like the humans would come up with, and yet he couldn't help find it fascinating compared to...

"Master Shen, please!" Anja slammed a hand on the desk, disrupting the pattern of the little desk toy. "I know reports aren't the most exciting things in the world, but please try and pay attention. I work really hard on these!" She rubbed her head. "It is times like these that I wish you were more like the other Elders. More dignified and..." She trialed off, and quickly said, "I'm sorry, sir! I-I forget my place! I-It won't happen again."

Shen held up a hand. It is fine. Please... go on. I will... 'pay attention'. He sat back in his chair, internally sighing at the sacrifices he made to stay in charge.

The drone from the Overseer's assistant continued for awhile, and was then sharply broken by three hefty knocks on the door, like a trio of distant cracks of thunder. They were followed by a brief arguement between the knocker and the two Advent officers that stood guard there, but after a brief spat they shut up and one informed the occupants of the room, "U-uh... Miss Anja, I know you asked not to be disturbed, but there's someone important here to see you and the Overseer."

"Wha?" Anja scratched her head. "Who could that possibly be?" She glanced back at the Elder, who gave a slight nod. "Um... go ahead and send them in. The master will see them now."

The doors swung open, and in sauntered a woman characterized by midnight hues.

The intruder wore a black jumpsuit as the essential part of her outfit, on top of which the rest of her attire was affixed. On her legs she flaunted jet black boots with short, subtle heel extensions and dark gray wool stockings up to her thighs - a fittingly warm garment considering the cold of the Swiss Alp mountain on which Matterhorn sat. Around her waist was a short, loose skirt reaching the upper limits of the stockings and tightly attached by a belt with a gold plate - the symbol over that being a black design disturbingly similar to the skull of a panther. Her stomach was left bare aside from the semi-translucent latex that revealed a curvy waist to complete the hourglass begun by her hips. Over her large chest was the upper piece of plated alloy armor that hugged her form while also protecting her heart. Along the lower half of her arms were warm dark gray gloves. On her head was a pair of orange-tinted goggles, currently raised upon the crown of her head covered in dark black hair that reached down to the middle of her spine. Her eyes were as orange as the glasses.

"Please to finally meet you at last," the striking woman spoke mysteriously.

Shen slowly sat up. Dealing with humans was something he did on a daily basis, and despite his views on them, many seemed to blend together. This one, however, intrigued him.

"P-please." Anja took a step towards the woman. "Address the master with the proper respect. State your name, and your business here."

"First off, I assume this room is isolated from the networks? Electronically and psionically an island," the ebon-clad interloper questioned, seeming to largely ignore Anja's concerns other than acknowledging her with a flash of an amused smile. The door shut behind her with a reverberating thud.

That is correct, Shen stated, folding his upper hands on his desk. Nothing gets in or out, especially out, without my say so. We are free to say whatever we want.

"Well then, I shall introduce myself," the orange-eyed woman decided, fulfilling part of Anja's request. "Verona Episcopo, Director of Exalt, pleased to meet you face-to-face at long last, Avarita."

Avarita? Interesting.

Anja snarled angrily, but with her sweet, high pitched voice, she sounded like an angry kitten. "Th-that is Shen'lustus to you! Or you may a-address him a-as Master! Or Master Shen! Not Ava... Avy-whatever!"

Vee reached out and patted Anja on the head, only further-enraging the Elder's assistant. "You didn't tell me you had a cute secretary."

"C... c-cute? Cute!? I'll show you cute!"

Enough, Anja,
Shen said privately. Let it be.

B-but... no, Master Shen! I've told you before, it is okay among those familiar with you, but you have to be authoritative around strangers or you risk them disrespecting you!

It is okay. This one is a special case. Shen rose to his feet. Publicly, he stated, I believe the proper customer is to offer a hand in friendship, yes?

"Yep. Of course, in Italia we also offer a kiss on either cheek for those familiar to us," Verona replied. With a chuckle, she added, "Although I doubt your lieutenant would approve."

Anja gave her a sour look, but stepped to the side, doing as the Elder asked and leaving it be. Shen moved in front of the woman. You are quite a busy woman, Ms. Episcopo. I must admit, I am surprised to see you here in person.

"My operations are clandestine indeed," Verona agreed, shaking the Elder's hand. "I'm sure you heard of that escapade in Xi'an that left your subordinate Overseer's little convoy a looted husk. I'm sure (will add in the guy's name when I can find the reference material) was plenty unhappy." Vee shook her head. "Reason why I'm here is unrelated, however." The shadowy woman folded her hands behind her back. "I'm sure you're fully aware about the extent to which the situation is changing in the world right now," she prompted.

Quite. Shen folded his arms under his robes. Unrest is spreading, slowly but surely. The Resistances that were merely a thorn in the Protectorate's side have become a dagger, ever so slowly inching towards its throat. And the group that holds that knife the firmest is XCOM, success after success making them quite the enemy.

"XCOM, yeah..." Vee crossed her arms. "If you want my honest opinion, I don't like them one bit. They're a bunch of idealistic, vengeful nutjobs that want to burn everything down and don't have a clue of what they even want from a post-occupation world."

I... will admit I have my doubts about them too. I fear they my be to focused on their viewed evils to see what good has come. I understand where they are coming from... but I wonder, if they were to win tomorrow, what would become of those who they view do not belong on this planet. What would become of humans sided with the Protectorate, or the technology brought here.

"Well, I'm not going to pretend my top priority is the well-being of the occupying aliens," Vee conceded. "You know me better than that. But the Coalition's military might would be a shame to just throw away... the legitimate work the gene clinics do is nice..." Verona frowned slightly. "I understand why you didn't tell me what their real purpose was, but I suppose knowing doesn't change my mind about things anyway." Getting back to the subject of the eXtraterrestrial COMbat unit, Vee remarked, "that all said, they do have an appreciation for technological progress. They've got a talented R&D team that has done work equivalent to the Coalition despite being way smaller in size."

Is that right? Shen tilted his head ever so much. You speak as if you have had direct contact with said R&D team.

Vee placed a finger on her chin, assuming a coy look accentuated by her overall sultry composure. "I maaaaay have a woman on the inside. Or perhaps I just dreamt that I did."

Hmm... Shen folded his two sets of arms. I will assume this was something you were planning to share already for the sake of this relationship.

Vee grinned. "Sure, let's go with that." Noting Anja's scowl, she held up a hand in protest. "I'm just fucking with you. Figuartively. Maybe literally later, if you're interested," she specified with a wink.

Anja was a little taken aback by that, her cheeks turning rosey. "W... why are you so obscene and... a-and casual in front of the Master? Have you no respect?"

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemin24601 & ZombieSplitter53
Co-Conspirators
Part Two

"Censoring yourself is a boring way to live life," Verona stated with a roll of the eyes. "Propriety only matters when you're trying to make a good impression. Me and your 'master' go way back. I guess not really from his perspective, but from my human vantage point it has been a respectable amount of time."

"You... you have?" Anja looked to her Master for confirmation.

I am used to this woman's manners... used to her in general, and she is used to me. I am sorry it distresses you so, Anja, but I find her manner of speaking refreshing. Even among my closest and loyal followers, none make me feel as... I believe the expression is 'down to Earth', as she does.

Anja looked down and poked her index fingers together. "W-well... I-I guess if Master Shen is comfortable with it..."

Verona held a hand over her heart. "Too much cuteness... oh no, I might faint," she exaggerated, following up her theatrical performance with a snicker. "Anyway... I do, in fact, have a trusted agent inside XCOM... though unfortunately there has been a complication that has arisen with dear Emmeline."

Is that right? I would imagine that she is a highly skilled infiltrated and spy. I do hope she is not currently in danger.

"Provided their Commander isn't an idiot - which I don't think she is from what my sister tells me - Emmy's fine. No, the complication is that... well..." Vee sighed. "I've kept her in the field too long. She let her guard down and fell in love with one of their operatives."

Anja placed a hand over her mouth. "Oh, my."

Then she has been compromised. But better this then her being exposed. Shen floated over to his window and gazed out. My suggestion... is to pull her out immediately. I am afraid her objectivity can not be trusted, and you risk losing her to them if she stays too long.

"Here's the problem with that..." Verona clarified. "I can't exactly extract her from their flying ship easily, and she wouldn't be willing to go anyway. We had a talk, and she's really serious about this - and kinda mad at me for putting a bunch of expectations on her." Vee rubbed the back of her neck. "Guess she kind of has a right to be angry..."

Oh? Shen turned back to look at her. I have never known you to be one that doubts yourself.

The Director sighed. "Well, I haven't treated her much like family. It follows that she could get quickly attached to someone like this."

I see. Human family matters are quite interesting. I feel like I could spend a lifetime studying them, and still not understand them. And that is saying something with our lifespan. He moved towards her again. So how does this effect your standing on XCOM? What will you do?

"She wants me to seek an alliance," Vee answered tersely. "I'll admit, them being on our side could be useful... though the concerns that I agreed with you on remain."

As they shoulder. However... Shen ran a hand across his mask, pondering the situations. What we do, it comes with enough risks to cover the surface of your moon. This is simply one more. So you must ask yourself, is it more risky to continue with them on our side and deal with what that might entail... or is it more risky as them as an enemy or, at best, without the aid they would provide?

"Well, if I decide to have an audience with the Commander it will ultimately affect you too. If I'm going to ally myself with XCOM, we would only be able to be truly effective if resources were being shared fully... and that would include allies." Episcopo tapped her foot. "So if I choose to align myself with XCOM - to ally both of us with them - that would make it time for you to take action. You think your armies are ready? Loyal?"

Ready? Yes. They have been for a while now. Loyal? Shen turned his head towards Anja.

The woman, noticing his gaze, quickly fiddled with her computer pad. "W-well, sir, I have checked through the list of individuals from every level throughout the entire city, and I've updated it regularly based on reports from moles and plants, as well as performance reports. I-I am confident in the list I have made, sir."

Verona shrugged. "Then I'll propose the rather-cogent point Emmy made to me over the phone. Why wait to bring down the Protectorate system? The momentum is here. Why not act now?"

Shen was silent, his body still, his thoughts unreadable thanks to his ethereal mask. You know... what this will mean, right? Everything will be put on the line. My people are loyal and my city is well fortified, but I will not be able to stand up to a full assault by the Protectorate, and they will not let my betrayal stand. If I do this, and XCOM decides they do not want to come to the aid of an Elder... I will fall... and you will lose my aid.

"I'm aware of the risks. But if after all of the progress we've made and the Resistance - as silly as it is - has made... If we still fail then we never had a chance anyway," Episcopo remarked philosophically. "They may not like you, but look at it this way... you know your Overseer compatriots better than anyone. That's knowledge that XCOM would practically drool over."

Quite right. Shen rubbed the side of his mask. Oh, dear... I will need to move all of my wonderful collectables to under the central tower. Can't have them being damaged during the eventual assault.

Anja cuckled nervously. "U-um, master? Aren't there more important things to concern yourself with?"

Shen crossed his arm. I will not move them until after the entire city is secure, don't worry. Don't want to tip anyone off by suddenly emptying a couple museums. But I work really hard to collect all of those things, and if I can avoid them being damaged, I would like to.

"I hope your tower's fortified," Vee noted with a chuckle. "Because just as you know your fellow Overseers, they know you. And I imagine spiting you would be icing on the cake to wrecking your city."

Shen subtly nodded. Worry not, my dear. Between reinforced walls, energy shields, and a plethora of AA Currents and SAMs, fortified is an understatement. Played it off as paranoia about resistances like XCOM. Won't they be surprised when the guns are turned against them.

"Then the primary concern is the entrances into the city. An elite force like XCOM would make a nice roadblock, I think," Vee decided with a nod. "Plus, they have that one brainwashed member of theirs to deal with... and she'll probably be sent here to crush you in particular."

Anja shuddered involuntarily. "Th-that woman scares the heck out of me. But... do you really think she'd be a problem for Master Shen?"

"Well, considering that she can completey negate red psionics and can likely hamper anything close to it... yeah, that'd be a problem for Ava," Verona noted. "Not only is Ember a powerful tool against some of XCOM's psions, but I'd wager she's also insurance against traitors."

A very good point, Shen agreed. Besides, XCOM has taken down more then one Elder, and Ember, more or less, was made to take down XCOM. It stands to reason she would be a frightening foe. I will have to prepare for her should she make it to stand before me.

"I'll probably be avoiding her myself. I'm not sure Bishop's powers would be unaffected despite having supernatural elements to them," the Director noted. "Doesn't mean I can't bomb the crap out of her from afar, but the more potent form of my destructokinesis requires proximity... and that's too close to her Overwrite range."

Shen let out a sigh the echoed in his mask, looking up. To think what could have been one of our strongest allies will now be turned loose to kill us. It is almost poetic. I fear we may have to rely on XCOM to deal with her, as cowardly as that might sound. They may just be better prepared.

"Well, ultimately, we won't know unless we talk to them."

Yes. Shen looked to her once more. Can I rely on you and your agent to... as they say, put in a good word for me?

Verona bowed slightly. "Of course. You've helped my aims greatly, it would only be beneficial to me to continue that amicable relationship by extending the same courtesy to you."

Good to hear. Shen returned to his desk and sat down, folding his hands in thought. Things are about to get very interesting around here. His smile was hidden, but the tone in his thoughts showed amusement. But if everything goes well, the Protectorate is about to take a major blow. I, for one, can not wait.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Tales from the Yesteryears
Jack Irons

Part One

Seven Years Ago
The Chicago Megacity Slums

The desk before Jack Irons was cluttered to the brim with an array of items, trinkets, tools, and parts of all shapes and sizes. An incredible mess to some, but a well organized one to him. He could extend a hand without looking and find exactly what he needed while barely disturbing anything else. "Well, no wonder it keeps misfiring," he said softly to himself, referring to the beat-up rifle in his hand. "The entire loading mechanism needs to be replaced. How these so called resistance members expect to make any headway with these supplies..." He reached to the side, finding a spare part. "I should charge them an arm and a leg for this.. though I know they can barely pay what we agreed on as is. Lucky for them I have an extra."

He got to work changing the part, as well as cleaning the weapon as best he could. Considering the size difference between his hands and the tiny parts he worked with, the twenty-seven year old resistance 'supporter' was nimble as can be. Twenty minutes later, the weapon was assembled once more, and looking as good as new (or at least better then it had when it was dropped off). He lifted it, looking down the sights as he spun his chair around... and found he was aiming right at his wife's chest.

Delores was an attractive young woman, not model material but easy on the eyes. Skin the same shade as Jack's, the lean figure of a woman who lived in a less then ideal financial situation but made the most of it by keeping in shape. Short black hair and hazel eyes. Some had argued she'd be even prettier if not for the edge in her eye, like a panther ready to pounce, but that was one of the things Jack loved about her the most, ever since he fell for her five years prior. At least, until lately.

"What?" he simply asked at her irritated look. He placed the gun behind him and smiled at Jack Jr., his three year old son standing at his wife's side.

The boy returned the smile, but it quickly faded when his mother said, "Go play in your room." Young as he was, he was old enough to know his mom's no-nonsense tone, and quickly did as he was told. Delores folded her arms and tapped her foot angrily. "They were back yesterday, you know?"

Jack spun back around and started working on his next project. "I told them two more days. Just tell them that, and they'll..."

"Not your... idiotic resistance friends." The irate woman walked forward into the work room. "ADVENT! They've been snooping around town, looking for sympathizers. You know as well as anyone, they don't need much of an excuse to hull you away, especially here in the slums. What do you think will happen if they found all this crap?"

Jack let out a tired sigh and hit a button under the table. It lifted up, a compartment in the wall opening to hide everything behind a shelf full of automobile parts that slid in front of it. "And now I have to wait thirty minutes before I can continue my work, all to prove a point."

"You haven't proven anything!" Delores spun his chair so she could look him in the eye. "It is only... a matter... of time. They will find you eventually. They found your father, right?"

"My father made a mistake," Jack insisted. "I won't. He taught me everything he knew and I have improved on it."

Delores gave him a desperate look. "Please, Jack. I love you. I will always love you. But it was one thing when when it was just us. We have a child now."

"Do you think the aliens are going to let up any time soon?" Jack asked defiantly. "All I am doing is making and fixing stuff for the fight, not actually fighting. There are men and woman out there, dying to try and give our son an Elder-free future."

"And most of them probably don't have their family with them, if they have any at all!" His wife stepped away from him, holding her fingers over her eyes. "Enough... is enough, Jack. Just... tell me honestly. If I had to choose between you... and our son..."

Jack's eyes dipped a bit. "I'd... want you to pick Jack-Jack. Every time... no matter what the choice."

She slowly nodded. "Well, I've decided that he... and myself... are in too much danger here. I... you need to stop. Today. Find something safer to put bread on the table or... or we're leaving."

Jack didn't look up. "I... I can't. I'm... doing this for you. I love you too much to let this all happen. I'll continue. Even... even if..."

Last edited: