RP XCOM2: Liberation of Earth

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Moments Like This
Part Three

Jennifer nodded, slowly kicking and swaying her arms to stay balanced.

"This is pretty easy now that I got the hang of it," Alexis stated with a smug smile. "What's next?"

"Alright, now the fun part. We're going to learn about strokes." Luke looked at Alexis, knowing she's thinking about something else. "Not those kind of strokes darling."

Jennifer made a gagging sound. "How about the stroke I feel like I'm going to have every time you to talk like that?"

"Hush you. Any way, there is something I do need to teach you guys, but I might need help." Luke looked at the beach and yelled at Joe. "Hey Joe! Mind if you help us out here?"

Joe rubbed the side of his neck, apparently having expected to spend his time by the water, not in it, but reluctantly pulled off his shirt and made his way to them. "What can I do for you?"

"Right, we're going to be working on our legs. Working on your legs is very important. So Alexis, hold on to Joe shoulders, and have your legs raise to the surface. And Jenn come to me and do the same thing."

"Y-you... want to do this with me?" Jennifer asked, floating over.

"Yes, now will you please quit being nervous and come over here."

Jennifer sighed and took a hold of his shoulders. Alex did the same with her father, rising her legs up. "This part I can do. I got plenty of leg strength."

"Great, now just lift your legs up to the surface and start moving them up and down alright? Oh, and Jeen? Try not to get to embarrassed, okay?"

Jenn mocked him silently and stuck her tongue out, but did as she was told. Again, there was an obvious difference in the sisters' styles. Alexis elected for a energetic approach, quickly moving her legs up and down and producing the appropriate amount of splashing. Jennifer was more elegant in her approach, her kicking slower but smoother, and none the less determined.

"Wow, you two really are different, but you both are still very beautiful." Luke looked at Jenn and saw her using her legs, but he also got to see a full view of her." Hmm, I have to say Jenn, you're body has defiantly gotten more tone. Guess my cooking and me helping you workout is making you into a very fine looking woman."

Jenn narrowed her eyes. "If I find out that this was all just some scheme to look at me half naked..." She glanced over to Alex and smiled. "Then again... if I'm actually diverting your eyes from my oh so superior sister..."

"Hey, I can see Alexis naked whenever I want, or whenever she's in her moods. But it's rare for me to see you like this, so excuse me if I enjoy the view of both your front and back." Luke looked at Jennifer figure. " I have to say you look down right sexy now."

Despite her normal reaction, Jenn only laughed. "Well, get an eye full, cause you ain't seeing anything more. Who knows? You might like my naked body better. But you'll never... find... out."

"Oh really? You know, if I was my old self, I would take you under the water and strip you down." Luke looked at Alexis working on her legs. "But I love Alexis more, so I'm fine with that."

Jennifer's smile turned more gentle, and she nodded. "And you're a good man for it." She looked back. "So am I doing good? Cause I'm getting tired."

"Right, you can stop now." Luke looked at Alexis and Joe. "Hey Alexis, you can stop know. Let's stop for a moment and take a breath you two. Once you're rested, we can finish alright?"

Alexis nodded, obviously having expended more energy then her sister. "You still need me?" their tired looking father asked.

"No, we can take a break, I'm sure you would love to take a break. After all this day is meant to clear our mind, and of course have a day to ourselves and relax."

Joe smiled softly and nodded, making his way back to shore. As the trio followed, Alexis nudged her boyfriend and directed his attention to her mother, sunbathing in a yellow two piece that was even more revealing the what Alex had on. "I think I know where I got my looks. Not bad for a woman technically in her mid forties, huh?"

"Hmm... yeah, not bad." Luke brought Alexis closer to him. "But you're still better looking, though your sister is starting to catch up to you."

Alexis laughed. "Nice to hear she isn't so underweight anymore," she said softly. "But I'm not worried. I'll always have the pazzaz she lacks, and I know how to work it."

"Oh I know that from experience, but I have to admit seeing you like this is getting me in the mood. But it's more fun to wait."
"That, and I don't think the others would appreciate it." Alexis looked back at Jennifer.

Jenn rolled her eyes, having an idea of what they were whispering about. "You two are like monkeys in heat."

"That is entirely her, but I'm also to blame here. I mean, I would love to see her with a kid, and having a little Luke or Alexis running around."

"So eager to be a dad." Alexis rubbed his back. "You are a grandchild craving parents best friend. All we need to do is win this war, and you'll get your wish."

Jennifer chuckled. "No pressure." She stretched her arms. "I think I'm ready for the next part. So what's next? Breast strokes while being chased by a giant shark?"

"Right... lessons. Okay, I want you two to move your arms in small circle like this." Luke started to move his arms in a circle. "Once were done with that, we will take every thing we learned and go swimming."

The girls started mimicking his movements, getting into the swing of it pretty quickly. "And we just combine these things to swim, right?" Alex asked.

"Yes, use your legs as well. Also, turn your head to the side to get some air. Alright, think you guys can handle this?"

The girls nodded, exchanging a smile. "We're ready." Jennifer looked back. "At the same time, or one at a time?"

"You can both go, I'll be right behind you. In case something bad happens."

Again, the sisters nodded, and started to combine the motions Luke had showed them. As seemed to be the trend, Jennifer picked up on it quickly, but Alex seemed to struggle to get a good balance of stroking, kicking, and breathing.

"Hmm, well it's not perfect, but they're swimming." Luke looked at Joe. "So Joe, what do you think?"

"Not bad." Joe watched the two carefully. "Looks like Jennifer inherited my swimming abilities. And it looks like Alex swims about as well as her mother."

"Yeah. How are you doing Joe? I mean, Yankone being brainwashed must be hurting you."

Joe slowly shook his head. "I'm... not doing very well to be honest. I'm feeling pretty guilty about the whole thing."

"Why? It's not your fault, you tried to find her but she was just to defended. The point is we will get her back so no need to be moping about it."

"Yeah... I guess." Joe scoffed. "I guess... with one bad thing happening after another, it is beating me down. I'm sure that applies to a lot of us. Maybe I should stop being such a baby."

"Hey felling a bit down is just human nature, but the thing about felling down like you lost is that it just means you get to pick yourself up and get better."

Joe nodded. "And at least we get a few nice moments like this. Getting to watch my girls swim makes me feel young again."

"Why not join them? Like you said, if you feel young, go play with them." Luke looked at Veronica. "Hay miss, why don't you join us? This day is meant for family bonding after all."

"Yeah! Sounds like fun!" Veronica jumped up and rushed to join her daughters, pulling Joe along. "Come on!" He went to help Alex, and Vicky went to join Jennifer, who already seemed to be the better swimmer.

"How am I doing?" Alexis called out, the smile on her face saying she was having a lot of fun.

"You're doing great babe!" Luke yelled out. Lilith came from behind him patting his back.

"Go on and join them, this is your new family after all."

"Your not coming?"

"No I'm not one for swimming, go have fun." Luke nodded his head and ran to the water. Lilith looked on and said to herself. "Oh, what the hell, I could use some fun."

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
"Being an Ass Has Advantages" (MarineAvenger and Dahlexpert)
On board the Avenger
Brig

Luke made his way to the Brig, hoping that he can talk some since to his friend. However, low ranking soldiers were in his way. "Let me through, I want to talk to Leon."

The men gave Luke a hard look, shaking their heads. "Do you have permission from a higher up?"

"I'm your superior. I'm an active solder on the roster while you're slapped here doing security. If that's not good enough for you then we will have a problem."

The soldier standing guard gave the Luke a sneer, and stepped aside, opening the door. "Make it quick. He is supposed to be serving a punishment."

"Yeah, yeah, I got you." Once the door was closed, Luke went forward and to the cell of his friend, looking at Leon. "So, got yourself in quite the situation huh?"

From the back of the psionic containment cell, Leon looked at Luke sitting on the floor, leaning against the far wall. The shadows caused his face to look dark, and the look in Leon's eyes complimented the haunting image well. "I don't need to be patronized by you right now Van Dam."

"Aw come on now, I think you need to be... fuck, with after what you did. I mean come on man you went on a rampage and had to be scooped up by security. Come on man, you're supposed to be a Sergeant."

"What ground does a man who has everything stand on telling me I'm out of line?" The Grenadier asked, flashing a sour look towards the opposite man.

"You haven't lost everything Leon. You still have Gwen so there's that. Also were going to get Yakone back, don't you worry about that."

"And how do you plan to do that? Beat your way to her and slap her silly? Somethings can't be changed. We have no plan to even go get her. Yakone is gone Luke. Ember's what is left in her place. If you have evidence to show otherwise, I would love to see it right about now." He growled.

"Alright, the mission I was just on. We actually fought Ember, and do you know what happen? She fought us and beat the shit out of us. But when we were down, Yakone fought her way out and gave me back my powers. Now, yes I beat the shit out of her because she wanted me to, but the point is Yakone is still alive."

Leon clenched a hand, shaking his head. "So she momentarily got her sense back. Sure ADVENT will destroy that glimmer of hope too. That's all they ever do. All they are good for. They stomp out everything to look forward to."

"Hey if there is a chance that Yakone is there then it's something. If the Commander is not giving up on her then neither should you."

Leon stood up and walked to the cell door, slamming his right fist against it. His hand and his entire forearm was covered in bandages, underneath being the scars of his electrical burns and his cut knuckle. They served as reminders. "I am tired of hoping. I am tired of living in this fantasy world I have to keep constructing for myself. Things are not okay. They will not... be okay. I'm choosing to live in reality Luke. A reality where my girlfriend would rather see me dead then ever listen to reason. I've had my wake up call. Seems to me you still need yours."

Luke walked up to the cell, and had the same angry look as Leon. "Let's get one thing straight dumbass, I've had my wake up call. It's called seventeen years of my life. See unlike you I was not born in the Resistance. I was raised in a world where it was every man for himself, where it was kill or be killed. I was raised in a world we're there was no hope!"

Luke took a deep breath." But now I'm here, and I learned when thing look bleak and there is no hope to be found that I have to dust myself off and make my own hope. That's what you need to do. So instead of mopping and whining, stand up and fight to get her back. Giving up now means throwing Yakone to the wayside, and I know some part of you still wants to bring her back."

"Your history is a bit spotty. I wasn't born in the resistance. I had to adapt to this lifestyle, or I wouldn't have made it to my teenaged years. What will she even think of me? Her being Ember could have changed a lot of things. I don't know if I could go through all the effort to learn it was for naught. Like a lot of things have."

"Look Leon, I wouldn't worry about Ember. I'm sure the Commander won't have you go after her anyway. But think about Yakone. What would she think of you if she saw you like this?"

"Knowing her she'd laugh at my expense and then sit outside the door for a couple hours keeping me company." Leon answered with irritation he could answer so well. It was like there was a stitch on his heart that constantly almost healed but ripped back open all over again for any reason. "And don't worry about what the Commander will do with me. Honestly, if I had to fight Ember, I would fight to win. Anything less would likely just get me killed."

"Alright, but some advice for one friend to another. Ember relies on her swords. That's her primary choice of offense, also her armor regenerates itself along with her powers. So keep your distance and pound her with explosives got it?"

"We'll see. I can develop my own tactics against her. Explosives aren't my main forte anyhow." The Sergeant said, turning so he leaned his back against the jail door.

"I'm sure you can, that's why I'm telling you now so can come up with something now instead of on the spot when you fight her."

"Thank you I suppose." Leon's gaze turned to the floor, "So... Got your ass handed to you hard, huh?"

"Hay, it wasn't that bad. I have to admit she's tough, but she had to disable my power to to fight me."

"Seems you aren't as infallible as you put off." Leon noted with a shake of his head.”

"Oh I wouldn't go that far, because the moment I got my powers back. Oh man, did I kick her ass. I destroyed a good chunk of her armor. Hell I destroyed the whole front of her armor. And even without my powers. I got a good shot in on her so I'm pretty good."

"Sure think your tough. But I could take you. Once I get out." Leon said, holding his bandaged forearm.

"Heh heh, nice to see you gaining some confidence. I would love to actually fight you. I'm always down for new competition."

"Only if you wish to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter." Leon said proudly, slowly sliding down the door till he sat on the floor. "You really think we can bring her home?"

Luke chuckled. "I do. During the mission, Yakone did talk to us. She said she was sorry. Even though she was in control for a few seconds, that should count for something right? Is that enough for you to have some hope?"

Leon didn't say anything at first, shaking his head. "I don't know anymore."

"Come on man, it's just like the Commander said. Hope is our greatest weapon. Without it, then why are we fighting? Hope is what drives us. Just have a little bit more. You can't give up just yet. I mean after all, we still need you and truth be told, you're not very useful in a cell."

"No, I suppose not. Not very comfortable in here either." Leon placed a fist on his cheek and looked at the other wall. "You're a pain in the ass, you know that?"

"Yeah, well I'm sure this is how Gwen feels when you try and cheer her up. Wow, I'm being the responsible one to you off all people. You know what, I think this is the end of world. I'm the one trying to motivate you, when it should be the other way around."

"Eat a dick Van Dam." Leon told the other Grenadier with a sigh, waving his hand. "Leave me alone. I need to think."

"Right I'll leave you be." Luke turned his head towards the door but looked back at Leon. "Can get you a bourbon, or a book or you know... something to entertain you?"

"No. I think I won't be in here that much longer." Leon said unwrapping his bandaged arm, looking at the wounds as he squeezed his hand into a fist.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Chivalry, Part 1”

Caucasus Mountain Foothills, Azerbaijan
1451 Hours, October 26th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 1, Starboard Wing
Storeroom B-2

In the work area around the the large containment unit holding the captured giant known as Morpheus, Galen observed the workings of the design, nodding his head in approval. He looked back to the woman he had been assisting earlier and changed the pages of his tablet to a new design layout, looking over the Commander’s arm with a ginger look. “Well it is a good thing the medical staff took good notes about prosthetic repair. Should have it up and ready for you soon. That blade sure did a number on it.” The android said, anxiously rubbing his metallic shoulder.

The one-armed Inuit woman sighed. "I would feel better if I had a certain daughter of mine at my side to chastise for causing me this much trouble." Atka shut her eyes briefly, a faint shudder runnig through her as she struggled to keep the still-whirling emotions from rendering her unable to function. "...what did you two call me down here for?" she eventually asked both the android and her chief engineer.

Galen glanced at An-Yi and frowned, crossing his arms as he looked away. "Well... as I was getting acquainted with the Avenger's systems I stumbled upon this room. I was curious as to see what was inside and accidentally de-activated the stasis of the being inside. We had a conversation for a brief time and he asked for you personally." The artificial being looked at the head engineer. "She already gave me an earful for the blunder."

"For such a highly-intelligent being it was a pretty big bungle," Lily defended her chastisement.

Atka shook her head. "Alright... let's see what he has to say," she reluctantly agreed, opening a telepathic channel.

Inside the closed container, her mind connected to Morpheus, the giant half-breed acknowledging her presence. I feel you woman. It has been many moon cycles since your last visit.

It's been about a month, Atka replied correctively. What do you want?

Time passes differently when you dream, Morpheus retorted with a hint of annoyance to his tone, though the low rumble of something else was unintelligible to the Inuit woman. Yet even in this state, I can still feel what happens to me. And I have felt an awakening. One that brings with it great power.

I’d ask that you be more clear with what you mean. Riddles merely waste our time, Atka stated, a tad irked herself.

An amused chuckle roared all around her. The one who holds the weapon that was taken. Its potential I felt released. Now its brother calls out to it. The second piece of the puzzle to make it whole. Bellum. He desires Pacem. Hungers for it. It would be wise for you to unite them.

There’s another sword? And it’s sentient? Atka questioned with a puzzled expression.

To call Pacem a weapon is like to call a bird a fish. No, it is the sheath for the broken hilt. A bracer that myself was unable to wear. It only will fit a normal human. Only work for the holder who has connected himself with Bellum. Morpheus explained, making it a point to try and be more clear. But yes. In a way, it is sentient. They… are sentient.

Well, that sounds useful and all, but XCOM isn’t in the position to go on a wild goose chance for part of your weapon set, Atka intoned flatly.

Ignorant human. You already hold the piece of the puzzle. I hold it. And if you wish it, then I wish something in return. Morpheus intoned as diplomatically as he could, though with a booming voice of his calibre, everything sounded as if demanded.

Don’t think you’re in a great bargaining position, the Commander warned him. I could do without the jabs, and the current wielder of your sword is currently in my brig for wrecking the situation room on an unbridled rampage. Right now giving me the bracer doesn’t do any good for my cause.

Except for the fact once you are bound to one of these items, it is apart of you. That rampage he likely experienced was not entirely natural if I do say so. Bellum has a tendency to make one irritable. Useful when sending a behemoth such as myself into combat, but I would assume not one of your soldiers. Even if you take the sword, the will of Bellum will worm into his thoughts. My connection was broken when your boy took on my burden.

And you didn’t think to warn me of this before handing over the blade? Atka’s features darkened. If you weren’t so brainless I’d suspect you of being a saboteur sent to be captured! The Commander lashed out, seeming to have plenty of anger within herself.

You are smarter than you appear in this moment woman, so think it through better. The Elders have much better means of infiltration than me. You never bothered asking if there would be side effects, and I didn’t exactly expect Bellum to find a connection. You should be more worried he did then with me. The half breed said in an antagonized way.

“Just because I don’t ask doesn’t mean you shouldn’t tell, but I would expect a half-baked creation like you to understand that!” Atka both thought and said with rising vexation.

“Atka, I don’t think that’s going to… help anything,” Lily interjected carefully.

“I don’t want your damn opinion!” the Commander venomously shouted at her chief engineer. “This whole thing is a farce. I don’t care what might have brought it on, I’m not just going to forget what Leon did and arm him with more weapons for him to wreck my goddamn ship with! If he can’t fucking control himself, then-”

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Chivalry, Part 2”

At her own statement, Atka fell silent - the hypocrisy sinking through her chest like a jagged knife and sucking the words from her throat. She tilted her gaze down to the floor, unsure of what to say, or what to do. At the trembling that ran through her body, An-Yi’s aghast expression shifted to a more sympathetic look, and she walked over to the mother of her best friend - embracing her in a tight hug. “I understand how you feel.”

“Do you?” Atka whispered hoarsely. “It’s different for you. You don’t have to go out there and fight. You just equip us the best you can, and that’s all you have to worry about. I… was there, but I failed to bring her home. We had such a damn good chance, too,” the Inuit woman bitterly bemoaned. “And by the time we face her again, I doubt the same opportunity will present itself.”

“It probably won’t,” Lily was forced to agree. She squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. “But you know… you know…” she repeated, almost as if trying to convince herself as well. “That doesn’t mean we can’t save Yakone. We’ll keep trying.”

“That’s not enough!” Atka cried out with an agony in her voice betraying the ringing pain in her heart. “Wishful thinking won’t bring her back.”

“No… but standing around… standing around and cursing fate won’t help, either,” Shen insisted solemnly . “We need a plan. We need to strategize. That’s the only way we’re going to ensure a swift return for her. There’s no one I know better for that job than you. You just need to hold yourself together. I… I know it’s hard, but you’re only going to make it worse if you lash out at everyone. You’ll only become more miserable. Have faith in us, and don’t lose sight of yourself, please.” Lily clung to the Commander a little tighter. “Most people don’t know how kind you really are, but I was there… I remember, even though I was a little kid before everything became so bad. People have told you this before, but you need to hear it again: don’t let this fight destroy you. You’re too good a person to cause the world more misery by being consumed by your hate and pain. Focus on the good things, focus on changing the bad. That’s all I ask.”

Atka didn’t say anything for awhile. What must have been a minute ticked by as she stood there, unable to control the shuddering within her body that brought forth a few hot tears with it. Lily’s heart started to sink - as it seemed she wouldn’t be able to get through to the Commander. She stepped backwards, sighing. “Just… at least think abou-”

“Y-You’re right,” Atka finally conceded, glancing back with a melancholy expression that upturned just a little into a weak smile to try and reassure the chief. “I understand what you’re saying. I’ll try, I promise.”

The engineer breathed a quiet sigh of relief. “Don’t just promise… do your best to start now,” An-Yi requested.

Atka took a deep breath, and then properly reestablished her link to Morpheus. ...forgive me for the harsh words. You do not deserve such derision.

I’ve heard and endured much worse verbal abuse, Morpheus said dismissively to the Commander, then asked, Ready to hear my bargain?

What is it? Atka requested to know with a defeated exhalation.

It is a simple one, I am not asking to be a general in your army. I merely wish not to be in stasis all the time. Even if I was to escape in some miraculous way, all I have is my fists. I am not at all immune to gunfire, so it would be useless for me too. All I wish is a chance, Morpheus laid out simply, grunting as if metaphysically nodding his head.

You… want to be a soldier? Atka asked, surprised. I’m not sure what I’ve done that would warrant loyalty from you.

You are overthinking my request. All I wish is not to be kept like a stuffed head over a fire. That is actually one of the few things I found interesting about human culture. Hanging animal heads for decoration. But, if such a thing were to happen, and I was trusted enough to fight… what impression have you gotten I would not want revenge against my creators and the ones they sent me to for their own use. Do you think I liked being a brute alongside the Protectorate? The behemoth asked Atka with a small trickle of sardonics.

Well… hell if I know what soldier class I could assign you to - you’d be like a living SPARK unit if anything - but… alright. I’ll permit it.

It is a good time to be alive then. Release me, and Pacem shall be yours. I will not do anything funny, Morpheus said, mustering up a tone that would make him sound more genuine than his deep, metallic one would allow.

I don’t need to warn you what will happen if this is a trick. Atka glanced at Lily, and - relaying the essentials of the conversation to her chief engineer - requested the containment field be dropped. Lily looked as if she were about to protest, but ultimately gave a resolute nod and went over to the control panel. Glancing at the Gremlin floating beside her for reassurance, An-Yi entered a passcode and then pulled a level, shutting down the dampening field and unlocking the restraints.

From inside the prison that once held him, Morpheus stumbled forwards and fell to a knee, breathing heavily. He stood slowly, running a hand across his bald head. “MUCH. BETTER.” The behemoth said, despite the designs of his mask making it hard for him to speak.

Atka eyed him warily. “The gauntlet?”

Morpheus turned his gaze to the Commander and nodded. He reached down the back of his armor and slowly opened a side compartment that was apparently there, taking out a few items. He held the bracer out to Atka while he ordered the mechanical man standing off to the side to approach and dropped a couple of grenades in his palm. “WON’T. NEED. NOW. DEAL. IS. DEAL.”

Once the weapons were out of his hands, the Commander breathed a little easier. “Galen, would it be too much to ask for you to accompany Morpheus for now and keep him out of trouble?” she inquired.

The android looked down at the explosives in his hands and quickly set them aside, clearing his throat even though he didn’t need to seeing as he had no bodily functions. “If Miss An-Yi approves. I am her assistant after all. If so then I see no trouble. Maybe I can fix our friend’s breathing troubles.”

“TOUCH. MASK. YOU. DIE.” The behemoth warned, crossing his arms.

“U-Uh… point taken.” Galen assured the half-breed.

“Provided no harm comes to you in the process, I’d be fine with that,” Lily agreed.

“Good. Then… I…” Atka sighed once more. “I have a Sergeant to speak to.”

“I wish you luck Miss Ipiktok.” Galen said to the older woman, bowing towards her as he turned to the larger man and directed him as to where they could get him food for him.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Chivalry, Part 3”

Leon groaned with exertion, pushing himself up off the floor. He was covered in a layer of sweat from spending the last good portion of an hour exercising his body. His shirt was folded to the side on his cell bed and besides Leon on the ground was the projection of Psyma, his A.I. companion, dressed in a pair of sweatpants, windbreaker and sweatband, doing several situps despite there being no use of it. He saw it as a way to motivate his handler with his own workout, and it was fun altering his figure once and awhile as deep down, Psyma was just a little kid who was easily amused.

Since the incident that went down in the situation room, despite not being listened to Psyma couldn’t help but still be supportive of Leon, and after the talk with Luke, the A.I. found it much easier to do just that. Most would see the relationship between the partners detrimental in many cases but each argument merely strengthened the fake boy’s resolve to help his buddy, even if he did get discouraged.

There was a click on the other side of the door to the brig, and in stepped the Commander. She had forgone her officer outfit for the white shirt, brown khakis, and black jacket that she typically wore while off-duty. She carried with her a strange-looking glove that seemed like it would fit more with an era a thousand years past. It consisted of a few metal plates overlaid over one another, one pair in such a way that a sword could be sheathed through. Atka unlocked Leon’s cell, opening the door and tossing the gauntlet to him - along with the hilt of his psionic sword. “Put this on,” she instructed him.

Leon, -who had sat on his rear when the Commander first entered in- looked at the glove confused, as did Psyma. “Um… I have many questions…” the Grenadier began as he picked it up. “High on the list being how the mission went. Luke gave me some details but I wouldn’t exactly trust him for the most reliable info.” he picked up the bracer, looking it over curiously waiting for an answer.

“The good news? We killed another Ethereal, and confirmed the Chambers pet theory that the Eld…” Atka paused, reconsidering the use of the ADVENT moniker. With the flash of a rare grin, she corrected that to “the Declensions are creating new bodies to inhabit in order to compensate for their collective terminal illness.” The Commander huffed. “The bad news is that my sister and daughter managed to escape recapture despite them losing this round.”

“At least they can be beat. Before, Nigella was unbeatable.” Leon noted as he looked up at Atka, raising an eyebrow. “Where did that new name come from?”

“It’s… a derogatory term a certain Ranger came up with after irony-watching a piece of ADVENT propaganda about the Path. Yakone figured it countered the whole idea of ‘ascension’ quite nicely. I thought it was crude and pointless… but it’s the best homage I can give her right now,” the Commander answered evenly.

“I see. Well, I suppose it works.” Leon assured Psyma he would be alright alone and the A.I. warily nodded and left the two alone, the man standing and putting his shirt over his head. “You know, it occurs to me I never exactly got your permission to date Yakone. You’ve said little about your opinion on us when she was here.”

“Because I lost the right to dictate that a long time ago,” Atka replied with a shake of her head. “She’s an adult by all rights at this point, and prior to a few months ago we were practically estranged. Her decisions are her own. I’m just happy for her if she’s satisfied,” the Inuit woman humbly dictated.

Leon at first didn’t respond to that. When it did, it wasn’t exactly good news. “To be honest to call me and her a happy couple was a statement that wasn’t too accurate. We had our moments, went on a handful of dates but that was it. Her friends were more tangled up in her life then I was. Then me and her had a massive falling out, and it was almost the end of that story. Was worried her recklessness would get her killed, that she was thinking too much of herself. I tried patching things up and they worked. We strangely got closer then we ever had before that point. Right after she went on the mission that she was captured on. My biggest worry may be we get her back and enough time passed that those feelings we rekindled went cold and she’ll just not want to continue things on the basis she couldn’t handle a relationship because of her trauma. That’s my fear anyways.”

Atka leaned against one of the walls, lowering her eyelids for a moment and thinking. “Let me tell you a little story Sinclair. Count yourself lucky that you’re hearing this, because I don’t like speaking about the past.” Despite that, she continued, “twenty years ago, I remember one of the worst operations - a lofty title considering how badly things went for X-COM before its fall. Operation Fallen Rogue, it was called. That was the day that a squad of twelve went to the site of a downed alien supply ship, lead by myself and containing Yakone’s father. Desmond and I were the only survivors of that hellish mission. On that day, I saw things that I can never erase from my mind. People being torn apart by plasma - perforated by laser fire. The last person that died… was killed by my hand. The Sectoid mind-controlling her gave me no other choice.”

Ipiktok was silent for a moment, the reminiscence’s gravity being the cause. “The only thing I wanted after all of that was to be close to him. To Desmond. In those days, he…” she struggled with the words. “He completed me. When you’re in love your partner is like the other half of your soul. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have made it through the fight. I would have broken.” Atka pushed herself off the wall. “What I’m getting at is that you’re wrong. If anything, Yakone will need your assistance - your love - to pull herself together when we bring her back. She won’t be able to do it alone. And… the difference between her resolve and Walker’s cannot be understated. Yakone’s not going to run off on you. She’ll stick by you and this organization to the bitter end. You’ve got nothing to fear there.”

Leon sat down on his bed, tapping the bracer against his other hand, letting out a sigh as a thought hit him. “When we last talked in the holo-training room, when I was talking about what I was… did I remind you of him at all?”

“A little. More than I knew until Joseph told me about their private confidences. About the doubts Desmond had expressed, and the beginnings of a train of thought that lead him to join ADVENT.” Atka crossed her arms. “However, you haven’t given me any reason to believe that you’d give into the enemy. You’re too smart to buy the lie that they can give you happiness. You know the truth behind the alien occupation. And you know that any peace you’d have with Yakone - with Ember - would be a lie that would eventually erode you into a walking corpse.”

The fellow Canadian nodded his head solemnly, looking down at the new item the woman had brought to him. “So what is this anyways? I doubt it is a personal item. You don’t look that old.” He quipped.

“Hmph. Don’t flatter me.” Atka tapped her fingers against her hip. “No, that’s the other part of the weapon set the hybrid we had imprisoned owned. Apparently it balances out an emotional influence that sword exerts… don’t let it be an excuse, but if he’s to be believed that hilt makes you more susceptible to bursts of fury. The gauntlet - like a purifying trinket in Western folklore meant to counterbalance a cursed blade - is supposed to nullify those negative effects.”

“Not looking for excuses Atka.” Leon grumbled, a tad annoyed at her comment as he slipped it on his left forearm, tightening the straps and looking it over. Taking the blade, he turned it over in hand and slowly slid it into place, there being a flash of orange light when it was all the way into its holder. After a few brief moments the entire Grenadier’s forearm was glowing with orange, much like his blade did upon activation. “Well this is new…”

“Don’t expect me to have an answer as to how it works. He can be very vague even when trying to be straightforward,” Atka noted with a shrug.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Chivalry, Part 4”

Looking over the glowing piece of equipment, he reached down, inside his head there being a slight urge to want to draw the sword. His hand wrapped around the hilt of the weapon and he drew it, holding it out to the side as the blade glowed to life, not in the normal orange from before but now more vibrant, as if an infusion of gold was laced into the psionic working. The gauntlet glowed with much the same color, suddenly the piece of armor shifted into something different, a shell of golden orange surrounding it. Much of the same shell worked its way up a shocked Leon’s arm taking a step back as it spread from his shoulder to across his entire body, taking on the shape of a suit of armor. The shell culminated at the helmet that surrounded his head.

It was as if made of three pieces altogether, with the first being the face plate that was the front of it, smooth with a slight curve inwards shaped to Leon’s face curvature, the chin coming to end in a point. The eyes glowed a righteous gold that seemed to shimmer like the surface of the sun itself. Behind the faceplate the helmet continued on in an oblong way, taking on the shape of almost a tear drop if looked at from above. The third and final piece was the crown that rested on the forehead of the piece, as if holding it together from the front, spanning out behind the head like sharp blades; as if like bird wings. To finish off the new formation of the protective shell was a visage of a certain girl both the occupants of the room admired. From his neckpiece, a cap rolled down that went all the way to the ankles, swaying slightly by the force of its own action of being brought into existence, each time it did so the ‘fabric’ shimmered as if gold had captured the rays of the sun.

Where the bracer on his hand had been, there was another glow as a large crest shield formed in his other hand, a massive sunburst on the front of the shield ornately worked in a way that seemed too perfect to be done naturally. The wearer of the armor recoiled slightly, hearing a voice in his head that sounded as if two people with similar voices were speaking in perfect unison. We are Fortis. We shall serve. We shall protect.

Leon’s breathing was projected through the armor in a way as if being played through a speaker, there being no muffle as would be the case in actual metal armor. “I-It… uh… says its name is… Fortis. Atka, the hell is going on?” He asked despite her making it clear she likely wouldn’t have an answer. He was so caught off guard he thought he might as well try to get some decent answer.

“He did say they were sentient…” Atka responded.

“This… this is strange…” The Grenadier noted, looking over the manifestation around him, then cracked his neck, rolling both his shoulders, finding the armor moved with him perfectly despite there being little weight put on him. “I think I may like it.”

“It looks remarkably like a Reflection, I’ll admit,” Atka added. “I wonder if you can separate it from yourself, or if its range is bound right ontop of you.”

Project us with your will. We are yours to command. Fortis said helpfully.

Taking the advice of the voices in his head, Leon closed his eyes. In his mind, he envisioned the suit of armor as an entity of its own, to be standing before him as he imagined he looked to Atka. With his eyes still closed, Leon felt a sensation not unlike as if exiting a pool of water as the knight phased off Leon and stood in front of him, sword and shield still in hand. While Leon did not hold the hilt currently -as that had disappeared from his grasp as if snow had melted from his touch- the bracer remained on his forearm. He opened his eyes impressed. “This opens up a realm of possibilities. Who knew this would have happened…” The Grenadier said to himself, almost forgetting about Atka as he looked the manifestation over.

“It certainly does. You might just have become crucial to the success of my infant plan,” the Commander mumbled.

“Say something?” The soldier asked with a raised eyebrow. Disconcertingly, Fortis stared at her as well.

“Come with me, Sinclair. We have a lot to discuss… in my office, since the conference room is still being put back together from smoldering ruins,” Atka jabbed - perhaps lightly, though it was hard to tell with her.

Leon’s mouth turned up slightly, looking at Fortis, merely staring for a few moments as the knight slowly began dissolving, pieces slowly falling off as if it was turning to ash with wind being blown on it. The ashes returned to the bracer which glowed until everything returned, the glow winking out with the hilt of the sword returned where it belonged. “Lead the way. I’m all ears.”

The Commander guided the Sergeant into her office, where both Bradford and Vahlen were waiting. “It’s time we seriously discuss what steps we’re going to need to take to free Yakone from enemy hands. Valda, what do you have for me?”

“Well,” the German scientist began, her ‘w’ sounding like it had been blended with a ‘v’, “at your request, I have briefly taken a break from work on the power armor in order to run a scan of ze Avatar’s brain before handing ze corpse over to the younger Chambers daughter. What I have discovered may prove itself useful in future engagements with Ember Verrater.” The doctor held a datachip in her hands. “Memory fragments remained with the alien, and in particular, I was able to discern what ze Ethereal Kasagi slew knew about ze ADVENT Captain. According to him, she was an ‘unusual subject’ because, rather than have her memory wiped - as we have witnessed firsthand - her perceptions were altered.”

“And this was due to some other variant of biokinetic reprogramming?” the Commander questioned.

Vahlen shook her head. “Not entirely. True, there probably is similar rewiring to what was done to Nouja, but the difference lies in the personal involvement of the Honored Overseer himself. Ze second-in-command of the Ethereal Protectorate altered Yakone’s mind personally… delving into what the Avatar knew about this ‘Patrem’ecformin’cettint’, I have discerned that he is capable of immensely powerful Domination that makes my mind control abilities look like a child’s toy in comparison. It is exceedingly likely he has made use of sustained mind control to force compliance and an altered pattern of behavior upon Yakone - explaining why her personality is so twisted.”

“So Doc, if this Domination is so powerful, how was it we were able to see glimpses of her during that mission? You think Yakone has enough sheer willpower to overpower an alien of that magnitude?” William asked with a bit of apprehension about that being the fact.

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Chivalry, Part 5”

“What you have to understand is that while biokinetic reprogramming is a permanent and furthermore passive alteration, Domination is a channeled ability,” Valda explained, folding her hands together. “And as is the case with many active psionic powers, it increases in strength by proximity. Should the Honored Overseer be located near Ember… freeing her without disabling him would be impossible. However, with ze likely-massive distance he is away from her, the influence he exerts over her is at a minimum level. This is still strong enough to suppress even her will… but apparently not entirely.”

“And…” Atka started nodding her head. “The Honored Overseer’s name… he’s related to the High Commander?”

“His son,” Vahlen confirmed. “Which means - in all likelihood - we will not be facing him in combat anytime soon. That means that we have a chance. Ze best way to disrupt an active ability would be to damage Ember’s mental state with offensive mental psionics. Your mindfray, for example, would be a valuable tool.”

“And afterwards when her mental state is weakened? Shall we merely just plead with her to try and fight to come back or did you have something else in mind?” Sinclair spoke up, crossing his arms as it was a bit intimidating to be at a meeting usually meant just for higher-ups.

“No. We have to subdue her. If we can render Ember unconscious, we can hand her over to Chandra. The biokinetic reprogramming can be undone only by someone like her… but when that happens,” Atka clarified, “Yakone’s force of will should be enough to break the domination effect over her.”

“This all, of course,” Vahlen interjected, “will work under ze assumption that not much will change with the forces exerted over Ember. After Yakone nearly regained who she was… there will likely be some other failsafe put in place that we cannot foresee.”

“If it comes to that, we will just have to overcome it in the moment. Just in case we should have Seshat have an open line to Vahlen at all times on future missions should Ember appear. I’m sure you’ll have plan B through Zed planned out ahead of time,” Bradford complemented in his own way.

Valda rubbed the back of her neck. “Well… I won’t be able to predict all outcomes… but with the assistance of ze… synthetic I will be able to formulate responses on the fly in assistance to ze Commander. That will have to be enough.”
“Good, though one more thing I believe is worth discussing is what we should do with Nouja should the event come to pass we capture her. Has any research been put into how her memory could be restored to her using the device we recovered?” The Central Officer asked as a question to both the Commander and the scientist.

“Tygan has been looking into that,” Atka replied uncertainly. “He says it’s possible, but there’s a lot of possible consequences to doing that. Chandra could operate the device from the tests he has run, so we’ll have to subdue her as well. Containing her wouldn’t be a problem either. The issue is… when we return her memories and remove the neural overwrites in place, we have no idea how her psyche will respond. She’ll… hopefully be herself again, but even then I can… only imagine the guilt she’ll feel for so many years of servitude to those monsters. We’re still not sure if there’s a way to use the device to remove her memories of her time as Major Blukersey… but should Tygan and Bandyopadhyay figure out how, I’d like for them to do so.”

“I’d… be more up for letting her make that decision herself should the time come,” Leon interjected into the conversation. “Won’t know unless we ask. It’d be more humane and more courteous to her then to make that sort of decision for her.”

Will rubbed his bearded chin, shrugging. “Wouldn’t hurt too much I suppose. She wouldn’t remember it anyways after we asked, so it would be a final piece of mind for us more than anything I guess.”

“I just… don’t know if she could handle knowing she did all those things. You two know what she was like,” Atka reminded her two old friends. “I… don’t want her to try and hurt herself or something.”

“This is all speculation anyways.” Bradford spoke up with finality, holding up two hands. “First we should focus on getting the girls back in the first place. It’ll be better for our own sanity that way. Better deal with this one step at a time then risk looking so far ahead we end up tripping on our path forward.”

The Commander nodded. “And the first step is actually beating them in battle. We need to review everything we know about the abilities of those two, and how to counter them. Yakone’s incredibly durable with her healing abilities - which only seem stronger than ever - and her defensive aura. That, in addition to her bursts of physical enhancement, make her a fast and hardy foe. Then there’s that new ability of hers… seems like Yakone - or Ember in her stead - finally managed to get electrokinesis working. And she’s put it to use in a way I couldn’t have foreseen. From reviewing the tapes… I believe she has the ability to negate the psionic abilities of anyone across the color wheel from her somehow. She completely shut down Van Dam in combat - as he may or may not have told you, Leon - and heavily reduced the efficacy of Tvarnov’s orange powers.”

“Luke did mention that. Comes into question the effectiveness of even using my Fortis against her. Luke also seemed to say Yakone didn’t quite like all the explosives shot at her. So it may seem using that to weaken her armor will be an edge we need to use.” He added, Leon thinking to himself a few moments. “Though you said the opposite side of the color wheel to her. That would say we need to utilize them as well. Who’s our strongest aside from you?” Sinclair asked the Commander.

“He admitted to being bested? That’s… surprising,” Atka remarked. “As for who we can use against Yakone… I’d argue your supernatural entity may be able to hold its own. You’d just have to be aware that you’re going up against a perversion of her that wants your head, and fight appropriately. Alexis is the best person I can think of to back you up. Ember’s special power may not even work on her at all if my guess is right… and it would be largely ineffectual against me. The tough part is that we can’t be focusing everyone on Ember… there’s still Blukersey and the rest of the task force… including Desmond himself.”

“You know, it’s occurred to me he has been… strangely keeping off the field of battle,.” William stated slowly, continuing to rub his chin. “You don’t think… he is intimidated to go against us do you? I wouldn’t go as far as to say scared but…” He gave Atka a look that pretty much declared she was the reason.

“I doubt it. He’s a coward… but he also has to manage his armies. I imagine it’s more to do with administrative duties… that may change the closer we get to toppling the Coalition.” Atka groaned. “If we had Yakone on our side with that new ability he wouldn’t stand a chance though.”

“If he is due for an appearance, it may be wise to keep Chandra nearby for when we render Ember vulnerable… we may need to turn her mid-battle to even the odds, if that is at all possible,” Vahlen suggested.

“We essentially have her waiting around doing nothing else. If she wishes to be on the ground when we see Ember, I see no reason to say no.” The Central Officer spoke up first, looking around at the other two.

“Wouldn’t hurt having her around. We’ve been sustaining a lot of injuries on missions anyways. Especially since we are seeing more and more of that anti-XCOM Task Force.” Leon added.

“And it would help counter one of Nigella’s greatest talents… she won’t be able to use her biokinesis to great effect against our soldiers if Chandra is frustrating her efforts. She’ll have to rely on her foresight and cryokinesis… and I can counter the latter. The former, as is the case with Prowlers, will just have to overcome through overwhelming force,” Atka decided.

“This gives us a pretty solid strategy to try and get back our golden girls. Fingers crossed we can retain our lucky streak and finally make our dreams a reality.” The Central Officer turned and began to leave after patting Leon’s shoulder as he passed. “I’ll let Chandra know of her new assignment for you Commander.”

Atka nodded. “Let’s get to it, everyone. We’ve got a difficult task ahead of us… but I believe we can do it.” We have to succeed.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53
Vengeful Comrades
Part One

Ember leaned off the railing, staring down ten stories onto the stream of flashing lights that made up the intercity highway. She was situated atop a military garrison building that functioned as a correspondence hub and an engorged police station. The 1st Captain was taking in the sights, attempting to calm her mind using the metropolitan area which she presided over as something she could look down on. Her lips upturned into a smug smirk as she reflected on how superior she was to the average human - to nearly all of them. The satisfaction she felt reassured the ADVENT officer that the cries of Yakone against her were beginning to fade away again. For now, the person she'd once been was again going to sleep.

A figure noted her there and paused, staring and silent in thought. Daniel Hunnigan had eagerly awaited a chance to speak with her ever since she first came over to the side of the Elders, and now was his chance. He had so many questions, and was actually in a position to ask them. But what if he didn't like the answers? "No point in worrying about that now," he mumbled to himself, fiddling with something on his wrist and walking over to the former XCOM freedom fighter.

Ember did not notice him at first. Even when she glanced back and saw the man out of the corner of her eye, she took no heed of him for a few more seconds. "Something you need, Lieutenant?" the 1st Captain asked dismissively.

"Yes, actually..." Daniel cleared his throat and stood up straight. Confidence was important. "I would like to ask you a few questions about XCOM. As I know it, you were with that until a short time ago."

"Ugh... ask away, though why you'd want to know anything special about them is beyond me, Lieutenant...?" she questioned, seeking his name.

"Hunnigan. Daniel Hunnigan." Daniel took a deep breath. "Do you, or did you, know a woman named Morrigan O'Brien?"

"Hunnigan. You're..." The floodlights preventing the rooftop from being shrouded in darkness momentarily flickered out, causing a shadow to fall over Ember's face for a moment that seemed to hang. Then, just like that, the lights were functioning normally again. "...I was friends with that bitch, yeah," Ember continued, seeming a little shaken at first - but quickly masking that discomfort. "She really embodies the Irish stereotype, you know? Kinda legitimizes all the historical racism against them."

Daniel shifted uncomfortably, both amused to hear her put down and put off by it at the same time. "Yes, well, she... has her bad habits. I'm guessing she's still quick to anger and a bit opinionated?"

"Correct on both counts, probably understanding the second one though," Ember replied with a sneer.

Daniel chuckled nervously. "Yes, well... she was a handful, but she had her good points. She was my... well, wife. Kinda still is, since I never technically filed for divorce since I thought she was... dead. Tell me... did she have a young girl with her?"

Her expression becoming more neutral, Ember replied, "You're asking about Brigid."

"Yes!" Daniel stated, a little more excitedly then he probably meant. He took a quick step forward. "So she really is with XCOM? Is she okay? H-have they been treating her well?"

"Calm down, for fuck's sake," Ember grumbled. "You're like a rabbit jumping at a carrot. Your daughter is fine."

Hunnigan took a step back, clearing his throat and running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry. I just... worry about her. It isn't easy having someone you love under the control of the enemy. I'm sure you can relate."

"Eh?" Ember chuckled. "I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about."

"Well... I mean, you were with them for a while, right? As the daughter of their leader, you must have been with them since you were born." Daniel shrugged. "I assume there was at least a few of them you grew close to. Maybe some you hope to show the light you obviously saw."

"You're under a grave misunderstanding." Ember grinned widely. "I'm going to enjoy killing the good majority of them. The only ones that I might spare are those that the Elders would like to add to their collection of psions."

"I... see." Daniel rubbed the back of his neck. "I... have you... always hated them? I just assumed you... disagreed with their ideals but stayed to support friends, but you finally decided you couldn't... um... w-why did you switch sides?"

"Pfft. What sort of peasant are you?" Ember questioned contemptuously. "I don't have to explain myself to someone who wasn't considered important enough to be briefed."

Daniel's eye twitched, and he smiled nervously. "Well, I... I might not be a full time... member, but I was taken on by your father himself, so I though... as a colleague, you'd be more... open."

"You're a subordinate. Don't forget that," Ember replied with a huff. "I'm not here to be friendly with the rest of the task force. I'm here to get results."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53
Vengeful Comrades
Part Two

"R-right... of course. I'm... here to do the same. I've worked hard to gain some recognition, and I've put myself through hell to gain enough power to be considered worthy of the Colonel's attention." Daniel folded his arms. "I... might not be at your level, but I have experience, and I have more power then people give me credit for. I can get results as good as the next guy... or girl, as it were."

"Sure you can," Ember responded sarcastically.

Daniel grit his teeth. "Hey, you don't know anything about me. I'd appreciate it if you didn't make assumptions about people. That is a sure way to be knocked flat on your ass by someone..." He fell silent, coming to his senses about who's daughter he was snapping at. "Excuse me... I apologize."

"Wow, you're really sensitive," Ember laughed, seeming more amused than anything. However, she did take the liberty of ripping one of Daniel's metal medals off his uniform, and using her powered armor's servos to crush it in her hands. "Remember this, Hunnigan. If you're going to be weak and soft..." she opened her palm, revealing the smushed silver. "You'll be crushed by the strong."

Daniel sneered for a moment, but slowly smiled, an unusual glint in his eye, one of a man with a plan. He leaned forward, and said, "I have no intention of being soft about anything. Trust me. I have every intention of saving my daughter and bringing her to her rightful place at my side, just like your father did for you. But I have an advantage over you. You were ordered to spare your mother, right? I received no such order regarding Morrigan. So, when the time is right..." He adjusted something on what looked like a wrist watch, and Ember could feel an immense surge of psionic power from him. He lifted his hand, violet wisps of energy swirling around it. "...I won't just kill her. I'll make her suffer... then make her kill herself."

Ember's lips crinkled upwards. "Huh... you might be redeemable after all. I like that bit of your style, at least."

"Thank you." He stepped back, looking Ember up and down. "Truth is, I like yours as well. You embody most of what I wish Morrigan had been. You ruthlessly cut down you enemies, you have clear and set goals, and even while independent, as far as I've heard, you are vastly loyal to the Elders and aware of their supremacy, something I find... disappointingly lacking in the few times I have spoke with the others. I just wish you had more of a chance to show it. For what I saw of your last mission, it was a mistake to pull you out like that."

"Right?" Ember complained, throwing up her hands. "I could have finished them all there. Half of them were down already... but no, the Major wanted to pull out."

Daniel sighed. "You are a rare treat. Beauty, power, and determination all in one package. I can see why she would want to protect you. But it seems to me that she underestimated your strength. You pure might." He looked down at the crushed medal. "You could have taken them. After all, you outlived an Elder. At the very least, you should have been allowed to take out the man that dared to pepper you with his flames, practically throwing the life he was lucky to get away with when you first attacked."

"That one? Luke? He's a fucking fool... if he weren't fortunate enough to have his red psionics he would have had his skull split open in the slums many years ago. He's just a spoiled brat," Ember remarked derisively. "The complements are appreciated, of course. You're not bad-looking yourself, and I initially misjudged your psionic strength it would seem."

"Thank you. I've been under some... stress training. Purposely suppressing my powers then fighting pass that to make them as strong as possible." He switched on his device again. "Maybe you and I can work together in our goal. We both want to destroy XCOM, and maybe sprinkle on some suffering for all they've done while we're at it. We don't need to be friends, but allies will do nicely." He laughed. "If I wasn't sure your father would kill me, I'd want to be something more. Like I said, you're everything my spineless ex wishes she could have been."

Ember guffawed. "I love my father and all, but I couldn't care less what he thinks about my love life. My pleasure is that of my own choosing." She shook her head. "As for working together... I think that's fine."

Daniel chuckled, and nodded. "Works for me. And if you ever decide to have some fun with a man that might be able to handle you, I'll be there for you." He turned and walked towards the exit, adding, "Something tells me most men would fall flat at the door with a woman like you, but would kill just for the chance to have a shot."

Ember smirked one last time. "I'll keep that in mind. The flattery is overdone, but appreciated nevertheless." She turned to look back out over the city with a grin plastered onto her face. "I wonder what you'll turn out like when we get our hands on you, little Hunnigan... who knows, maybe you have the gift... maybe you'll make a fine soldier. Though by that point the party will be over, but... ah, well. I'll still enjoy telling Morrigan what we'll twist that child into after her mother dies."

Silence once again overtook the roof, a quiet voice being heard only in the back of the mind of the First Captain - and she chose to ignore it, if she did notice it at all. I'm... sorry, shortcake...

Taxor_the_First

Taxor the First and DarkGemini24601: Come When Called, Part 1
7:23 PM, October 28th, 2038
Aboard the Avenger, Bar

“I still haven’t managed to get it to come when I bloody call it,” Samuel muttered, taking a drink from his glass. “You say it should be under my control now, yeah?”

Arthur shook his head. “It is not a pet,” he said patiently. “Nor some mere tool. A Reflection is another entity, tied to - for lack of a better word - your very soul. But it is still separate. And being from another initial owner, I wouldn’t be surprised if you aren’t… entirely on the same page.”

The Russian grumbled something in response, taking another drink. “Damn thing’s more trouble than it’s worth.”

“I’d say it kept you from being mincemeat against Ember,” Stacie stated, walking over to the two’s booth. “Even if I can’t see it...”

Samuel’s greeting was unusually muted compared to the usual enthusiasm. Arthur, however, was respectful as always. “A pleasure to see you here,” he said. “What… was that about not being able to see-”

“Stacie can’t see Reflections,” the Russian explained somewhat-tiredly. “Had an awkward moment where I tried to show her. Thought I was making some kind of oblique innuendo.”

“I’m not convinced they aren’t just a bunch of highly-specific telekinesis…” Stacie muttered.

Samuel’s protest about not being psionic was interrupted by Arthur. “There’s your problem,” he stated, nodding. “You see what you see, feel what you feel. If something does not conform to those rules, then to your mind it does not exist. Samara is the same.”

“It doesn’t really matter,” Samuel muttered. “The only time you’d need to see it would be if we were fighting against each other.” He allowed himself a slight smile. “So don’t get captured. Alright?”

“Only if you promise to not nearly get yourself internally eviscerated,” Stacie contested.

“After the first time?” The Aerotrooper shuddered. “Fuck that. I have a new pity for everyone that has to deal with Arthur now. Getting sliced open is not pleasant.”

The Phantom shrugged. “Neither is being shot,” he noted.

“Well yeah, but your method of ruining ADVENT’s day is a little more involved than ours,” Samuel responded. “We cut through the enemy metaphorically. You do it literally.”

Stacie shook her head. “I’m being serious, here. That was nothing short of close…”

“You don’t have to tell me that,” the Russian said, with something of a snap to his tone. “I’m the one that nearly spilled the beans and more besides, after all.”

“Is it wrong for me to be a little concerned?” Stacie growled in frustration.

Samuel looked like he was about to retort something, but bit down on it. “... you’re right, I’m being an ass,” he mumbled, rubbing his forehead. “Sorry.”

“Everything… alright? Aside from being haunted by that thing, I mean…” Stacie cautiously asked.

“I got my ass well and truly handed to me, I’ve got the ghost of a dead Elder living in my shadow, and that shadow won’t even listen to me,” the Aerotrooper listed. “Though I suppose the first is the most grating. I hate losing.”

Arthur frowned. “You’ve lost before,” he pointed out. “Why the irritability now?”

“The first time was my own damn fault,” Samuel stated. “That’s a loss I can cop. If you want, you could even call me killing Azazel a loss at first. I got lucky there. And now that perversion of Yakone tramples all over me, even with a Reflection to back me up.” He shook his head. “Seems like all I’ve done here is get my ass handed to me. On several different platters.”

“None of the strong enemies we’ve faced have been fair fights one on one… I don’t see that as being that much of a big deal,” the Texan Gunslinger opined. “It takes a team to win against their best psions.”

At first, the Russian didn’t respond. “I don’t even know anymore,” he said at last, though it was unclear as to what he was referring to. “I’ll get over myself eventually. Just need a few days, I guess.”

Stacie nodded slowly, allowing herself to leave it at that. “Alright.”

Arthur cleared his throat. “I should go. I’m late for my sword practice as is.”

Samuel raised an eyebrow. “Late? Who’s going to call you out on being late? You practice alone, don’t you?”

“Yes, I will, and I do,” the Phantom answered, uttering a brief apology and farewell to Stacie before departing.

The Aerotrooper shook his head as if clearing it. “I guess Merlux is enjoying this,” he stated flatly, finishing off his drink.

“He’s… resisting the urge. For now, anyway,” Stacie mumbled. “Could always do something to spite him in return…” she mused with a slight grin.

You’re cruel…

“What would piss off an AI that loved depression?” Samuel wondered aloud. “Hmm. I guess we haven’t tried putting him in the same room as Joy yet…”

Merlux appeared beside Stacie with a distraught look. “Please, anything but that!”

“That’s more like murder… no, I wonder how bummed he’d be if… say, two lovers were in a passionate embrace or something like that,” Stacie responded with a shrug and a smirk.

“Eh? Probably more embarrassed than anything else. I know I hate being the third whe-” The full meaning of her statement only then seemed to hit him. “Wait, wait wait wait. Was that a theoretical scenario?”

“Well, it’s only theoretical if one or both of those people were too passive to seize the opportunity,” Stacie suggested with a roll of her neck.

She said both… so my question is unanswered, Samuel thought, his eyes narrowing slightly. “In this theoretical scenario,” he began, slowly. “Would one, theoretically, alert the other if they were, theoretically, being too passive?”

“They’d offer some hints, but I’m not certain someone would come out and just directly say that,” Stacie offered with amusement sparkling in her eyes.

“Why not?” the Russian asked, his tone almost pleading. “I mean, stuff like that is a fine balance between friendship and a one-nighter. How is one meant to know how far to go when they’ve never done this before?”

Stacie started to open her mouth for another witty retort, but Merlux’s groan interrupted her. “She’s talking about the both of you, you lunkhead,” the A.I. whined. “This cacophony of so-called ‘hypotheticals’ is giving me a headache - which shouldn’t even be possible.”

“One more thing out of you and I’ll put you back in the box myself,” Samuel snapped, his expression one of supreme annoyance.

Merlux threw up his hands helplessly. “I was trying to help…” he vanished from sight, and Stacie broke out laughing.

“Yeah, well, you’re not helping me, that’s for damn sure.” The Russian sighed. “Forgive me for trying to know where I stood…”

“I’m just messing with you…” Stacie composed herself. “You could stand to be a little more aggressive… if that’s the right word.”

Samuel raised an eyebrow. “Aggressive? What, you into beatings?”

Stacie’s features reddened slightly. “W-what? No! I just mean… don’t be so passive in the relationship… you’re the guy here, after all.”

“Doesn’t mean I should wear the pants,” the Russian muttered. He considered for a moment. “Have you ever… watched one of my missions?”

“I’ve taken a look at the majority of them that were important,” Stacie replied a bit evasively. “Making sure you’re taking care of yourself out there.”

“Then you’ve seen how I do things. I don’t like to go in unless I know where I am, where the enemy is, and everything in between. I’m cautious.” Samuel rubbed a hand on the back of his neck. “I… suppose I’ve been applying the same strategy here. But knowing our positions isn’t as simple as tossing out a battlescanner. Here I have to work it all out myself.” He chuckled. “And… well, frankly, I’m shit at it.”

“Well, this isn’t a battle… there’s no enemy in this case. Just you, and someone who really likes you,” Stacie responded, rubbing the back of her neck. “You don’t need to be afraid of… moving things along. I’m not about to go anywhere.”

“It’s about as damn stressful as a firefight,” the Russian quipped. He opened his mouth to say something else, then hesitated. “Are you… sure about that last bit?” he asked, perhaps a little nervously. “I mean, I’m not saying you’d just up and leave if I did something wrong, but… well. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, or anything like that.”

Stacie shook her head vehemently. “You’re not going to make me uncomfortable. Don’t worry about that. I’m a big girl. I can handle intimacy just fine.”

“I’m not saying you can’t, or I would be too much for you, or anything like that. I-I just… well, I mean, if you’re ready to go a step further, I’m not going to complain…” Fuck’s sake Sam. This isn’t sex you’re talking about… i-is it?

The Gunslinger took a deep breath. “Then let me make it clear: I’m ready for that,” Stacie clarified.

As if as sick of the delay as Merlux, a shadowy hand, unseen to Stacie, gripped Samuel by the back of the head and forced him forward. Unaware of the Reflection’s presence, the Gunslinger smiled and closed her eyes, meeting Samuel with a passionate kiss. Unable - or more likely unwilling - to extricate himself, the Russian gave up his initial struggle and let it happen, though not without shooting a single word thought to his Reflection. Traitor.

Taxor_the_First

Part 2

After milking it for what it was worth, Stacie pulled back to take a few breaths - and locked her gaze with his. “Enjoy that?” she questioned.

Samuel blinked and scratched the side of his head, evidently unsure how to react. “Yeah. Of course.” His face had gone a little red, more than a hint of embarrassment evident in his expression. “I uh… uh… did - did you?”

“‘Course I did,” Stacie responded, tracing a finger down Samuel’s chest. “And there’s plenty more passion where that came from.”

“You’re enjoying this,” he accused.

“For both the right and the wrong reasons,” she readily admitted.

Samuel scowled, but after a moment gave it up. Well… at least now I’m in more familiar territory, he thought. “Happy now?” he asked, switching his gaze to Stacie’s forehead.

“I am happy, but satisfied? Not nearly,” the Gunslinger replied with a chuckle.

“Wha? I wasn’t talking to…” The Russian swallowed. “What do you mean, you aren’t satisfied?”

“Well… there’s this one room on floor zero I could pay a visit to with you,” Stacie thought aloud.

Unfamiliar territory again!
Samuel thought, panicked. “I-I-I don’t… you want to go that far now?!”

Stacie blanched a little. “I thought you said you didn’t mind…”

“I-I didn’t know that’s what you meant!” the Aerotrooper stammered. “That’s not to say I’m against the idea, but-”

“If you’re not against it, then what’s the problem?” Stacie questioned with an indignant look. “I’m putting myself out here you know.”

Samuel was silent for a moment. “... yeah,” he said at last, seemingly having recomposed himself. “You are.” With a sigh, he stood. “Wait, what are we going to do about Merlux? I don’t know about you, but exhibitionism is not in my list of kinks.”

“I can just pull him for however long we need. He’ll live,” Stacie nonchalantly replied.

“Right…” It’s not like I can turn Umbra off, the Russian thought. He swallowed. “So. Floor zero, was it?”

“Yep. Follow me.” Stacie turned, and confidently began walking towards the gravity lift.

She been scoping the place out before this?
Samuel wondered, following her with some trepidation. Shit. Maybe I have been a little slow…

The room Stacie led him to was the chamber set aside for ‘private activities’. It had a door with a deadbolt lock, and inside was a bed with a mattress laid out and a countertop with a few cylindrical pill containers. “Didn’t know this room existed until about a week ago. But apparently the Commander figured people would need somewhere to… indulge themselves.”

“I was aware they existed. Never had cause to seek them out, though.” Samuel eyed the bed nervously. “Bloody hell. This feels… I dunno. A bit too honest, you know?” He paused. “The room, I mean,” he hastily added.

Stacie laughed quietly. “I suppose so.” She reached forward, sliding the lock into place. “Won’t stop me, though.”

“It’s better than anything one of the camps might have, if anything,” the Russian mused. “Certainly more private. And more functional, if those are what I think they are…”

Stacie went over to one of the capsules, open the cap and grabbing two pills. “Yeah, these are… preemptive countermeasures. Can never be too sure, you know.”

“Yeah… wouldn’t want half the crew taken out of the fight for something like that.” Somewhat awkwardly, Samuel sat down on the edge of the mattress. He began fidgeting. What do I do now? Do I just wait, do I make the first move?

Stacie took a calming breath. Might be best if I start this off. Reaching down to her sides, the Gunslinger grasped the hems of her shirt, and then pulled it over her head.

“Whoah. Alright.” Samuel made to follow suite, then hesitated. “Uh… you want these off?”

“No, I expect you to remain fully clothed during all of this,” Stacie retorted with light sarcasm.

“Alright alright, no need to get your knickers in a twist.” The Russian lifted off his own shirt, revealing the large, new scar across his stomach.

“Dammit… that Ember’s fault?” Stacie surmised a bit angrily.

“Yeah.” He chuckled. “You think that’s bad, don’t look at my back. Sure you want the shirt off?”

Stacie exhaled deeply. “I’m going to give her a good smack when she gets back, brainwashed or not…” the Texan murmured. “And no, I’m fine. The scars don’t bother me… that one in particular just reminds me I need to kick Yakone’s ass for good measure.”

“You and me both,” Samuel muttered.

The other soldier smirked slightly at that. “We’re in agreement, then. I almost pity her,” Stacie reflected as she reached behind her back and unclasped her bra.

Samuel merely took the sight in for a moment. “You know, a lot of people have said that one of my best characteristics is that I’m exceptionally lucky.” He grinned. “I’m feeling that luck right now.”

Stacie returned the smile. “I’m sure you are. So… about that initiative we were talking about… these pillows aren’t just going to fold themselves.”

“... no comment about ‘feeling the luck’? I’m almost disappointed in you.” He stood, and all his confidence seemed to evaporate. “Ah… shit, sorry, I’m not-” He stumbled forward abruptly, catching himself on her chest. “Oh for fucks sake.” Umbra’s hand merely faded, without any ‘comment’ from the Reflection. Why do I need it to wingman me? The fuck is wrong with me?

“If Merlux weren’t lying on the counter I’m pretty sure he’d say it’s statistically improbable you didn’t do that on purpose,” Stacie noted with a chuckle. “And for once I’d agree with that.”

She’s… got more than Chloe, Samuel couldn’t help but notice. Swallowing his nerves, he moved his hands away from her chest and down to her hips. “You, uh… have anything you want to get out before we…?”

Stacie leaned forward to give him a quick kiss this time. “Nope. Let’s get down to business,” she stated, reaching to her belt and pulling it out so she could shrug herself out of her jeans.

Allowing himself to smile, Samuel followed her lead, removing his own lower clothing. As he did so, however, a thought struck him. “Wait. Have you… done this before?”

“W-well…” Stacie coughed. “I’m twenty-nine, you know…” she said evasively.

“That’s not a yes or no.”

“...it’s a yes. Though you don’t get to say anything, that’d make you a hypocrite.”

He held up his hands. “I wasn’t going to,” he said. “Just… wanted to know whether I need to be careful.”

Stacie’s expression softened. “That’s considerate of you. Thanks.”

“I aim to please,” Samuel answered, before his expression twisted. “Oh… that was a little too dirty. Sorry.”

“Hardly an issue right now, and I disagree anyway,” Stacie replied with an amused look, taking a glance downwards. “I see what you mean by ‘feeling the luck’ now.”

The Russian’s face tinged crimson. “Don’t make this any harder for me, please.”

“Make that two innuendos,” Stacie returned with a laugh.

This did not serve to alleviate Samuel’s embarrassment. “I hate you so much,” he muttered, bringing her into a tight embrace and pulling her downwards.

“I can live with that,” replied Stacie, letting him do as he wished.

DarkGemini24601

Dahlexpert and DarkGemini24601: “Arduous Adaptation, Part 1”

1627 Hours, October 29th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 4, Port Wing
Gymnasium A

Emile was in Gym A doing some chin ups. Heh, look at everyone still trying to save the Commander's daughter. They saw her in action. They saw that she is nothing more than a mindless killing machine. They should just put her down and get it over with. Emile shook his head and got off the bar. Letting out a sigh, he wondered aloud, “What am I talking about? My head hurts...” Emile turned around to his his friend Tom, who was doing some push-ups. Right, this guy’s here. Wait a second. “Hey, Tom can I talk to you for a minute?”

Tomislav finished the rep he was working on, and then pushed himself to his feet using his upper arm strength. “Sure. Don’t have any pennies on me, but I’m open to hearing your thoughts.”

“Sigh, man, you known me for... about a few years. When you guys found me, I denied your offer to join SIN, but you kept pressing me and I eventually agreed.” Emile put his metal arm over his face. “Look man, I don’t feel right, I feel like everything I’ve been taught and been through is keeping me were I am. What I mean is I can’t accept anyone.”

Tomislav frowned. “Emile Alactraz isn’t feeling right inside. This is serious.” The Harrier put a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “So you feel like you’re stuck in a rut, and the problem’s that you have a hard time connecting with anyone?” The Serbian thought for a moment. Don’t know if he realizes it, but while outwardly we seem different on the inside we’re very much the same. “I know the feeling, believe it or not. I’ve got charisma, but… I do get that nagging feeling sometimes that I’m not really creating lasting bonds.”

It’s more than just a nagging feeling, Phobos muttered inside Tom’s head.

Shut up. “Have you tried opening yourself up to people a little more yet? The best way to deal with a problem is usually to face it.” In most cases, anyway.

“Tom, do you want to know why I don’t open up to people? It's because before you meet me, I’ve had my family killed, and my arm ripoff. But that’s not why I’m like this. The reason i’m like this is because for years I would help a settlement and I would stay there for about three weeks and every time ADVENT showed up and wiped out everyone. Then I started to shorten my time staying there, to two weeks... to a week... to three days.”

“Until I just gave up. I said fuck them - let them defend themselves. Truth be told, the reason I’m not opening up to anyone is because I’m tired, I’m sick of watching people I have some attachment to get killed. That’s why I feel nothing for the six people that died during the base defence, or for Yakone. Hell for her my plan is to just put her down and get it over with,” Emile admitted callously.

“Well, I’d warn you that you’re be one of the only parties with the sense to consider that option… but I doubt killing her would be be an easy feat to pull off, anyway,” Tomislav prefaced. Getting the heart of the matter, though, he stated, “let me tell you my lease on life, Emile. I live for the present as much as possible. Yeah… the past haunts me… in ways you don’t even know. But I have to keep moving forward. I’ve lost people under my command, but you know what?”

A cold edge creeped into the usually-upbeat Harrier’s tone. “They’re dead and gone. They don’t matter anymore. So I forget about them, I do my best to forget their names and their faces. I enjoy the present, with those that are still alive.” The Serbian sighed. “And believe me, there’s something different about this organization. The people here are the least likely to get themselves killed because of their advanced tech and unique powers. If there’s ever a place to get your heart beating again, it’s here, in XCOM.”

“Why would I do that? Hell, we could be shot by ADVENT tomorrow. They could just find us again and instead of taking us alive and recovering their ship, they would just blast us out of the sky. So why should I open up to people? As far as I’m concerned emotions make you weak. They hold you back. Feeling sympathy for anyone would get you killed. Why would I ever open up to anyone only to one day see them dead?”

“Because fuck the future. We never live in it. The present is all there is,” Kasun retorted with a shake of his head. “And you don’t really have a choice, you know? The fact that you’re feeling regret for the path you’re currently walking down just proves that it’s impossible for a man to completely detach himself from his emotions. People are capable of being highly reasonable, but they can’t become completely dispassionate. You’re not some automaton, and you never will be - no matter how much you may desire it.”

Emile shook his head, then looked at his metal arm. “Is it sad that I want to be a machine, to be emotionless to have no fear, or anything like that? Is it wrong that I wish I wasn't human, just so I could do the mission.”

“Yeah, it is,” Tomislav enjoined, exhaling quietly. “It’s not a mission if you don’t care about people. You’re not saving the world then. You’re just… acting out self-preservation instincts. It’s the ability to feel love and hate… pleasure and pain… pride and shame, all that stuff… that makes us human. That makes us more than just machines or animals.”

“Why should I care about any of that? I was one year old when the aliens showed up. My life has been nothing but pain and suffering, form the death of my family, the friends I had in those settlements. I can never love anyone like you do, Like Luke and Leon can. I am never meant to love anything, I was put on this world to do one thing and that is kill ADVENT nothing more.”

Dahlexpert

Part 2

Tom mimed pressing a buzzer. “Bzzzt. You’re wrong. Blatantly wrong. You want to know why?” Tomislav questioned rhetorically. “If you didn’t have the capacity to care for others, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. It does you no good - from a purely logical standpoint - to confide in me. But you do because we’re friends. That means something.”

“Why did I come to you? Why am I explaining myself to you, I know I was feeling something before I came to you. But why don’t you just let me fall man?”

“Because I know you’re a good guy. I’ve seen the side of you that you seldom show anyone else,” the Harrier replied resolutely. “I’m not going to let you self-destruct because you’re afraid of opening up. You’ve got damn good reason to be hesitant, but you can’t second-guess yourself forever.”

Emile took a deep breath and exhaled. “Right, guess I should have expected this from you. But that’s why I came to you huh. You know you're a jackass right?” Emile said with a light smile.

“I do my best,” Tomislav sarcastically responded. “Feel any better?”

“A little bit, but it’s not going to be easy. I’m going to have to change a lot in order for this to work. But I don’t know where to start.”

Tomislav rubbed his chin. “Well, you could let me introduce you to a couple of other soldiers I know on the ship. They’re pretty laid-back, so that’d be a good start.”

“Right, um you have any ideas on how to talk to woman then? Because as you can imagine, i’m not good at that.”

Tomislav grinned widely - almost like a wolf. “Oh, so that’s another part of it, eh? Yearning for a woman are we… well, they didn’t call me casanova back on SIN Base B for nothing…”

“Oh, God, what have I done? Yes I would like to talk to women . But, casanova, pretty sure you’ve had more bitch slaps than kisses.”

Tom shrugged his shoulders. “I’m not so arrogant as to have been keeping track. But the benefit of being as inexperienced as you are is that you’re more likely to be faithful, so you shouldn’t have to worry about that. And as for me… we’ll see. I’m pretty fond of Ayame. Don’t have any plans to ruin that delightful catch at the moment.”

“Ugh, I should not have told you about that stuff, now i’m starting to regret telling you any of this.” Emile looked at his friend. “God I hate you, you know that.”

“I’m aware,” Tomislav retorted. “But trust me, you need my help. So you’ll have to put up with how infuriating I can be. The temperamental raven that is Vera manages somehow, so you can too.”

“God this may be the most difficult thing I have to do, but since I’m going to be changing. Might as well go from the ground up. You know I haven’t been happy being an Enforcer. I get the class but for me it’s not me. I’m a grunt, a solder, a regular cog. I think something like that would suit me better.”

“Well… I can talk to the Commander for you. I’m sure she’ll understand if I explain that a trooper role would suit you better,” Tomislav offered. “Probably will take all of five minutes.”

“You sure about that, I mean it is something that I would be changing. I mean, you don’t have to.”

Tom patted his friend on the back. “It’s not a big deal. I don’t want to waste your time, and I have to go see her about approving some designs of mine anyway.”

“Design? You know what I don’t want to know, just make it quick alright, I don’t want to be waiting for days on end.”

“Excuse me, it has nothing to do with pleasuring objects like you might be thinking. It’s for the next version of the E.X.O. suit,” Tomislav complained, feigning offense. “I’ll get right on it. When I get back, though… you and me are going to have a chat about talking to women, and then you’re going to meet some of my friends. Got it?”

“Something tells me at the end of the day I’m going to be drinking heavily after this, my liver is going to hate me because of you.”

“Your liver doesn’t have time to bleed,” Tomislav replied with a roll of his eyes. “See you again soon, buddy,” he told his friend, heading out to speak with the Commander.

“Right see you later.” Emile rubbed his head. “I’m gonna regret this, I know I am but at least it will be fun something I haven’t had in a long time.”

Black0ut

ZombieSplitter53 & Black0ut present:

Bearing It All/ Hidden Secrets

1734 hours
October 29th
Cafeteria, aboard the Avenger

The Cafeteria bustled with activity, as it had happened to be the dinner rush. Several couples usually came out and reserved spots in advance, usually with a helpful friend. One of these couples featured an Oglala Sioux man and an Irish woman. Several candles had been lit and were placed in varying areas. Red smiled sheepishly, "I-I know this isn't much of an apology for not being around lately, but I hope it can pave the way for a better apology.”

"Really, Mark, it's okay. You really didn't have to go through so much trouble." Morrigan smiled brightly, wearing casual clothes as usual, dress clothing not something she had readily available, but her nicest of casual clothes. "But I do appreciate it. You always seem to go the extra mile."

"A gentleman always does, especially if it's for the beautiful woman he adores." Red replied quietly, offering a more confident smile.

Morrigan couldn't help a small laugh. "Wow, that... that was surprisingly romantic. Not... not because it came from you, I meant because... because I'm not... used to... it."

"Well, you deserve to be romanced by a plethora of guys far better than I." Red admitted, his smile faltering, if only for a moment. "So... uh, sorry about the dinner rush, I hadn't planned for it."

"I know. We are making the best of the situation." Morrigan placed her hand on his. "Please don't feel like you have to apologize so much. I hope I don't come across as the kind of woman who expects it."

A quick apology jumped to his lips, before what Morrigan had said registered. "N-no, It's kind of a habit I have. I always apologize, even if I'm not at fault." Red explained with a hint of embarrassment. "It's from my days living as a detective." Cause it always better to have someone mollified than extremely pissed off.

Morrigan nodded. "I understand." She lifted a glass of water and said, "You've told me a bit about those days, but not much before it. Do you mind if I ask about little Red Hawk? You know... your childhood."

Mark's cheeks turned a shade of red, but he nodded admirably, unable to turn down any request from Morrigan. "O-okay. Well, when I was little, I lived with my tribe. We were pretty nomadic and moved often, so as to avoid ADVENT's radar. I was... pretty heavy when I was little, and I… also was pretty short for some time..."

"R... really?" Morrigan laughed. "You. This brick house before was once a stout little chubster. I never would have guessed."

Mark's face went bright red, his normal composure lost. "Yeah... I was chubby and self-conscious, so eventually I worked it off. Had to make myself presentable to any girl I met." Red explained, his voice going down to a murmur.

Morrigan's eyes dropped down to her plate. "S-sorry. What I meant is... you're so handsome now, I... i-if it makes you feel any better, I was a late bloomer, and the more mature girls used to make fun of me all the time. Shrimp, tomboy, flatty, I heard it all. At least you saw a problem and took steps to fix it. I, um... I started... punching people."

"Actually, that's part of why I worked out; so when I swung at someone, it wouldn't just bounce off them harmlessly." Red elaborated, briefly pausing to look at his hands in slight horror. "I was... in essence, bitter of the world. But, if I had met you when you started swinging at people, I'd probably join you."

"I know how you feel. I was an angry child. The changing world back then was hard on those who resisted the move to megacities." Morrigan smiled softly. "Sounds like we had a lot in common back then. Think we would have been friends?"

"Probably. I was pretty poor in the friend department, so a gem like you would have been my first priority." Red responded, using his free hand to gesture with.

"You... do seem the shy sort, even now." Morrigan took a bite of her food before asking, "Why is that? I would think as a former detective, you would have to have been outgoing."

"I preferred a lower profile to avoid unnecessary attention. My partner, Nick, was the persuasive and charming one. He always took care of others before he cared for himself." Red explained, as he rested his hand on the table.

"You might not be the most... outgoing and charismatic person out there, but the caring for others part seems to apply to you quite well," Morrigan offered. "Though... I get the impression worrying about others first comes from a low opinion of yourself."

"Well, there's that and then there's the reason why a small town got destroyed." Red practically murmured. "I'm... more or less in possession of a psionic force that is sentient and doesn't require any other creature to survive. I hope that made sense."

Morrigan thought for a moment, then slowly nodded. "You mean that wolf spirit, right? He's... kinda like your partner."

Erm... I can explain, Mark. Charon psied nervously.

We'll talk later. Red thought back. "More like an overbearing friend, but yeah. He's my partner, but more than likely he'll begin to go off on missions without me. All anyone will have to do is just call for him." Red responded.

"Well, isn't that something?" Morrigan laughed. "I wish I had known earlier he was connected to you. Isn't that amazing? We're both matched with a wolf-like being! Though despite yours being a bit cranky, I'm sure he is a lot less irritable then mine." She realized that those words could cause an argument if Vyssini hadn't kept his promise to not listen in on her date, but luckily, the A.I. didn't pop up to fight.

"I'm not so sure about that. He is currently listening in, and is refusing to leave." Mark complained, as he eyed a particular spot on the ceiling. Shaking his head, Mark asked, "So, if you don't mind me asking, what's the deal with your wolf? I heard it's an A.I. of some sort?"

"Something like that. He says he's a Worg, some... mythological wolf-like... it is all an image thing. Feed his ego, you know? Big, tough, scary Vyssini." Morrigan shrugged. "But I play along. He's basically an A.I. that is part of several splinter A.I.s copied from an original. All have personalities largely based around an emotion. His is anger, hence the difficulty dealing with him. Though I will admit he is helpful, linking directly with my mind to enhance my perception and reflexes, making calculations faster than any human could."

"Nice. Having an A.I. partner to assist you in combat would be pretty useful." Red agreed, "But, to switch up topics, what was your childhood like? I mean, that's if you want to share, of course."

Morrigan laughed nervously, slowly running her fork across her dinner but not picking it up. "If you... asked me that ten or fifteen years ago, I'd go on and on about how much it sucked. Constantly moving around, pressure from ADVENT to abandon our homes for the megacities, how stupid and pointless school was. And my parents? I would have preached about how they were the worse. Always in my business, pushing me to do things I didn't want to do, always nag, nag, nagging. They were terrible parents and I just wanted to get away from them!" She stared down at her plate. "I was wrong. A stupid, anger driven, irresponsible child, and my parents did all they could to give me a good childhood despite the changing world and my own resistance. I was just... too much of an angry punk to realize it at the time..."

"I know anger all too well, yet I also know it clouds your judgement. It wasn't your fault that you acted the way you did and your parents probably knew that." Red attempted to soothe, internally cursing himself as he realized he had probably touched a nerve.

"I hope so." She smiled softly. "Even after all the trouble I caused them, they still looked out for me. The... the last time I spoke with them before... they were gone, we were on good terms. I called them because I was actually home sick, and the military school was getting me down. My mom... made me feel better... and my dad said he was proud of me. So... at least I have that, right?"

"You do. You also got several people who'd say you are incredible at any age." Red replied, offering a gentle smile.

Morrigan smiled back, bashfully moving a hair away from her eyes. "I... I'd say the same to you. You... you're such a flatterer. I'm honestly surprised you weren't taken before me."

The Specialist's face darkened, as memories of the past flew by. "I... was." Red struggled to say, as several emotions appeared on his face. "I was about to propose to a... girl I had been dating. That was on the same day that Nick died. She... got him killed. She also tried to have me captured by ADVENT. After that... I grew more jaded of love. I thought if I tried again, the same thing would happen." The dark look that had overtaken Red persisted, but had lessened from his explanation of the events from his time as a detective.

"I'm sorry that happened to you." Morrigan reached forward, gentling holding his hand. "And I can understand how that would affect you. I... felt the same when my husband betrayed me. It is another, more unfortunate thing we have in common. But I swear, I will never, ever betray you."

"I'll hold you to that." Red joked as lightheartedly as he could. The dark expression faded as Red peered into Morrigan's eyes, completely entranced by the woman before him.

Morrigan stared back, lost in thought for the moment. When she finally remembered to blink, she chuckled. "I think if stare into those eyes any longer, I might be lost in them." She scratched her chin nervously, realizing how corny that probably sounded. "Thanks for sharing your past with me. I... want to share everything with you from now on, okay?"

Black0ut

Bearing It All/ Hidden Secrets, Cont.

"Yeah, same here." Red replied quietly, his normal bravado and gloominess having seemingly disappeared.

Morrigan looked down, taking a deep breath and hoping the redness would leave her cheeks soon. Big, tough Morrigan turning into a shy schoolgirl around him. I should be disgusted with how sappy I feel... but I'm surprisingly okay with this. "So, um... B-Brigid is... getting used to you being around more. She talks about you when you aren't around."

"She does? I was a bit worried that she wouldn't accept me, so that's a load off my shoulders." Red practically sighed, before looking up to realize a fair number of people had started watching the date. This in turn made Red far more shy, his inherent fear of the unknown taking hold. "S-so... um... would you like to head to the bar?"

Morrigan turned to see the same thing, and quickly took her last bite of food. "Y-yeah... that sounds like a good idea," she quickly agreed, standing up.

Red stood up quickly, still nervous of the current watchers, but having enough sense to put on an air confidence. After maneuvering around the table, the Oglala Sioux man offered his arm, "Shall we?"

Morrigan smiled once more and took it, walking out of the cafeteria. As soon as they were out of sight of the others, she placed her head against his arm and closed her eyes as they walked, sighing contently.

The former detective smiled, incredibly relaxed by Morrigan's presence. Suddenly, and randomly, a psionic voice started speaking. Wow... I'm stunned. You finally started dating again! I didn't think you'd actually be able to, what with the whole evil ex thing that'll probably come back to bite you, and- Charon rambled privately to Mark.

The Specialist merely offered a harsh glare, one that simultaneously made his partner silent and slightly unnerved. Within a few moments, Charon left, presumably to talk to one of his other charges. Mark relaxed once more, just as the bar entered his view, and calmly entered.

As the two took their seats, Morrigan gave him a concerned look. "Everything okay? You, um... seemed to tense up a bit there. Because if it was too embarrassing to hold onto you like that, I won't."

Red shook his head, as his cheeks turned the colour of his namesake, "N-no, it's fine. If anything, I should apologize for that. I'm a bit... nervous when I have to deal with crowds. Brings me something akin to a panic attack." Red explained, offering an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry if that embarrassed you."

"N-no, not at all. I'm not used to being looked at publicly either." She smiled, and laughed. "Look at us. We even get embarrassed about the same thing. If our families weren't from two completely different parts of the world, I'd be afraid we were cousins or something." She shook her head. "But as long as we feel it together, there is nothing wrong with a little embarrassment."

"I agree." Mark said simply, before leaning over the table to kiss Morrigan. I am way too lucky to have such a wonderful woman by my side. Mark thought happily.

Morrigan leaned forward to return the kiss. It was a simple kiss, nothing overly passionate or showing, but pleasant and loving, lasting just long enough for the pair to show each other their affection. When Morrigan leaned back again, she had a big smile on her face. "Well... let's have a drink, yeah?"

"Yeah, let's." Looking around to see if the full-time bartender was around, Mark did not see the bartender as he seemed to materialize behind the Specialist, as if from thin air. After a few moments of silence, the man cleared his throat, causing Mark to jump slightly. Sheepishly, Mark gave his order for his drink.

Morrigan couldn't help but giggle, and have her own, the Irish whiskey she had grown fond of.

Mark's face turned a bright red, slightly embarrassed of his rather meek response to the bartender. Remembering their first excursion to the bar, the former detective was surprised to realize that he looked upon the memory with a fondness he didn't know he could have possessed. "So... how well have I done so far, regarding our date?"

Morrigan let out another giggle. "I would say you are doing very well. You've been polite, you've been open, you've listened to everything I had to say, and I have enjoyed myself. Barring a sectoid popping up out of nowhere and nailing me in the face with a pie, I think this is the best date I've ever been on."

Mark's face turned an even brighter shade of red at the compliment, as he tried to hide it from Morrigan by turning his head slightly. "I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself." Red replied, struggling to find anything to say.

Morrigan fell silent, afraid of embarrassing him anymore. When she finally spoke again, she said, "Um... Brigid is... having another of her performances soon. I believe this is her... eighth now. I know she's down because... all that has happened recently, and I told her she could canceled and no one would be upset, but she said it was important to help keep spirits up, and she didn't want you practicing to go to waste. I hope you can attend."

Red nodded, his cheeks slowly returning to their normal hue. "I'd love to see her play. I already heard her when I watched her for a moment with Jack, and Brigid's skill is amazing!" Red excitedly proclaimed, much to the chagrin of some of the drunken people in the bar. In a much quieter voice, the big man continued, "But, yeah, I'd be down for seeing her play." Looking around for the bartender, Red murmured, "I wonder where he is..."

"Behind you." The man said promptly, before putting their drinks on the table with an apologetic look, before attending to his other patrons

"What an unusual man," Morrigan muttered, taking a small drink. "I know she'd be glad to see you. She has gotten past her stage fright, and now the more people she can entertain, the better."

Red took a sip of his own drink as well, before nodding at Morrigan's words. "That's pretty incredible that she overcame her fear, not many people can do that these days." Red praised, a more ponderous look settling on his features.

Morrigan tilted her head slightly. "A penny for your thoughts, Mark?"

The Oglala Sioux man offered an apologetic smile, as his focus was brought back to Morrigan. "Sorry. Just thinking about how lucky a man I am, to be in a relationship with such a wonderful woman." Red flirted, as his true thoughts surfaced in his mind. I wish I could overcome my fear of people. I need to destroy that chip... but I can't. Maybe in a week or two. If I tell Morrigan though, I will have to take care of it sooner rather than later. Mark thought grimly.

Morrigan nodded in understand. "Thank you. Just.. remember, I'm here for you now. If you ever want to talk about anything." She held up her glass. "I-I know it's... kinda cheesy, but... how about a toast to us, hmm?"

"I think that's a pretty awesome idea. To us, and whatever the future has in store." Red toasted, still thinking about the hidden chip.

You really should just tell her. She'll be upset but I'm sure she'll under- Charon started, having read Mark's mind.

And risk the only relationship I've felt comfortable with? Hell no. Mark replied mentally.

You humans always confuse and baffle me, because if you all were just honest you wouldn't have to fear anything. I won't intervene, but don't say I didn't try to warn you. With that, Mark's spectral companion shook his head and disappeared, to areas unknown.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “Balkanized Oriental, Part One”

1413 Hours, October 30th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Level 2, Rear Block
The Bar

Ayame huffed and heaved as she darted through the halls of the Avenger, ducking and dodging around people in a desperate attempt to make it from one side of the ship to the other. She was so caught up in her work out, so focused on training, that she had completely lost track of time. That isn’t true. Truth is, I forgot about our date entirely. But I’m only… twenty-five minutes late. Damn it. Ayame skidded to a stop in front of the bar, her own momentum carrying her a few feet past it and forcing her to step back to it. She ducked inside, wiping away sweat that blended in with the moisture from the hair she had just finished washing, and shouted, “Tom!” This earned her more than one head-turn.

The Harrier turned away from the bartender - who had just given him a large salted martini glass - to view the arrival of his girlfriend. "Oh, there you are!" he called over to her with a little more tact. Beckoning her over and pulling up a stool, he noted, "I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to find some other cute Asian girl to have a drink with," the Serbian jested.

Ayame laughed nervously as she sat down. "I'm so sorry. I, um... I had an excuse, but I forgot it on the way over. Truth is, I'm not used to having a date, and I... forgot what time it was... sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Fashionably late works for me." He cupped Ayame's chin, giving her a quick kiss. "What can I get you to drink, my dear?"

"Oh, um..." Ayame thought about that question, somehow not realizing before that she might be drinking alcohol in the bar. Not wanting to seem prudish or boring, she said, "A, uh... tequila sunrise, please."

Firebrand nodded. "I'll get right on that." Danielle ducked behind the counter for a moment, rummaging through the cupboards.

Tomislav scrutinized Ayame a bit more closely. "Been exercising?" he surmised. "Were you in the gym or that fancy holographic chamber?"

"Holographic," Ayame answered. "Our last mission told me I could stand to be a... a little faster. Been doing what I can to improve on that." She shrugged. "But I'm sure you don't want to hear something boring like me training or exercising."

Tomislav shrugged. "Depends on whether or not it's boring to you. Indulge yourself a little," he requested, taking the glass from Firebrand and sliding it over to Ayame. "Talk about what interests you, love."

Ayame smiled, taking the drink and taking a sip. "Well... I have a few interests. I like to keep myself ready and in shape. It isn't all that easy when you have an incredibly slow metabolism. So I've developed a habit of pushing myself during training... sometimes to ridiculous levels I'll admit. That's why I like that holo room. I can push myself pretty hard without getting hurt... at least, not too hurt, you know?"

Tomislav raised an eyebrow. "It's a good thing your superhuman abilities come with a healing factor that can rival... uh..." he only faltered for a moment, before attempting to redirect focus away from the touchy subject. Keeping his confident tone and hoping that would be enough, Tomislav stated, "just let me know if you ever do push yourself too far. You can suck my chi anytime," the Serbian declared with a slightly self-depreciating - at how goofy the statement was - grin.

Ayame grinned back. "Thanks. You... you joke about it, but it really does mean a lot to me. Not everybody is so accepting about it. They'll say it's cool until it comes up to them to help out and then they're... disturbed. Understandably so. I mean, it isn't like I'm just asking them to loan me a five."

Tomislav smirked. "Yeah, but they don't like you like I do. Did you know that when you spend a bit of time leeching energy, your cheeks flush a little bit?" the Serbian questioned. "I feel like you get more than just energy out of that contact."

Again, a nervous laugh escaped the lips of the supernatural woman. "W-well... to be completely honest, there is a bit of... e-ecstasy that comes with it. Especially when it is somewhere intimate... like on the lips. It's a bit embarrassing."

Tomislav shrugged. "It doesn't embarrass me, so don't worry about it." He reached over to run a hand through Ayame's hair. "Besides, I've been wondering if you'd be okay with taking steps further than the ones we've taken so far."

Ayame's eyes lit up a bit, in the way that says 'I was hoping you would ask that', but she calmly answered, "Well... we are two mature adults in a committed relationship, so... yes. I would like that."

That was surprisingly easy.
"Great," Tomislav replied nonchalantly. "I've been looking forward to it, admittedly since you agreed to be my girlfriend. You're too beautiful to simply observe."

"Stop." Ayame blushed in a way she usually avoided. It showed too much vulnerability. "I... you could be described as handsome, but me? Beautiful? Maybe cute... or pretty, but I think beautiful should be reserved for women who are a bit more... developed."

Tomislav leaned forward, whispering to the Asian woman, "who said I was a big breasts guy? It's not that I don't mind; I actually prefer you this way. Don't worry so much."

Ayame giggled quietly, looking up into Tomislav's eyes. "You really are a rare breed, you know? I'm not used to such a charming man looking at me the way you do. It... catches me off guard. But in a good way. A way that makes me feel like it is okay to drop my guard... at least a little. You're... special to me."

Tomislav smirked. "I'm glad. The women I've dated in the past... well, some of them have been big fans... but the more I rose up in the ranks of SIN, the more superficial it got. You feel a lot more... genuine to me."

Ayame nodded, taking a slightly bigger gulp of her drink. "Tell me a little bit about the ones you were close to. That woman you came here with; was she one of the better ones, or one of the superficial ones."

"Vera? She was probably one of the best women I've dated. She's got a fiery, stubborn side to her... but that made her fun to interact with. She has so much energy and talent... I've kept being a friend to her even after she dumped me because of that," Tomislav answered. "Man," he muttered, "I really screwed that one up, didn't I?"

Ayame have him a look of child-like curiosity. "What happened with you and her? You don't mind sharing, do you? I won't judge, of course."

Tomislav rubbed the back of his head. "I feel like you'd be within your rights to, though..." he murmured. "I... slept with another girl. Got distracted by the beauty of some liaison that was coming through, and well... let's just say walking in on that tends to implode any feelings a woman might have for a man."

"Oh... yeah, that'll do it." Ayame shook her head. "I almost wish I could judge you, but there was a time, long ago, when I didn't think staying faithful mattered. I ended up hurting someone... making me learn it the hard way." She slumped back, not caring for such unpleasant memories. "I don't get it, though. You two don't exactly seem ready to become lovers again, but other then that, you two seem to be friends. Is that just an act, or did she forgive you to some degree?"

"I wouldn't say she fully forgave me, but I have a way of easing people's tensions. I've gotten good at... persuading people." Manipulating might be more truthful, but... that's a harsh word. Though it does fit me...

"I see. Well, you are a charmer. The kind that makes it hard to stay mad at you." Ayame let out a grim chuckled. "Walking in on you, though... that's the worst way for her to find out. What... ever happened to that liaison? Ever see her again?"

"Went off elsewhere in Europe. Never saw her again." Tom sighed. "Was pretty pointless in the end."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “Balkanized Oriental, Part Two”

"It usually is..." Ayame let out a long sigh. "Sorry. I'm glad you shared with me... but it probably could have waited for when we weren't trying to enjoy a nice date. Sorry for bringing us down." She took another big drink, her cheeks flushing a bit.

"Eh, it's fine... just please don't start suspecting me of infidelity," Tomislav requested. "I wouldn't do that to you."

"I won't. It sounds to me like you learned your lesson." Ayame have him a small smile. "Just don't let your past mistakes hold you back. We all have our moments of weakness. It is how we move past them that determines the kind of person we are." She laughed. "Don't quote me for that, though. I either heard that from a wise man... or read it on a fortune cookie. Either one is equally possible."

Tomislav smiled, though his insides churned a little at the words. There are some mistakes you can never erase though. Some crimes you can never forgive. He downed another gulp of his martini, finishing it off. "So..." he brought himself back to reality. "You got anything else you want to talk about before we go and take that next step?"

Ayame shook her head, finishing her drink. "Nnnnope. I'm eager to have a little fun. In fact... I'd be lying if I said I haven't been waiting for this. If I wasn't so cautious, I would have been the one to ask you."

"You should have. I've been waiting for this." Tomislav took her hand with one of his gray gloves. "The private room awaits," he spoke melodramatically, leading her towards the gravity lifts. "I do have a... quick question for you," he questioned as they lowered down to the bottom floor. "There isn't any risk you can get... you know, pregnant, right?"

"Um... n-no," Ayame answered apprehensively. "A-at least... I never have. I hope that isn't, like... a turn off for you. A lot of guys think it's great until they... start thinking of the future..."

"No, that's not an issue right now," Tomislav replied with a shake of his head. "I was just wondering if we needed to bother with the pre-emptive pills or not."

Ayame smiled. "Nope. You can unload all you want and..." She placed a few fingers over her lips. "Sorry. That was a little... crass. Sometimes, I forget to sensor myself."

Tomislav and Ayame reached the door to the private room, and the former pulled it ajar - taking the latter inside with him. He shut the portal behind them, and smiled. "Well, you don't need to worry about censoring yourself right now," he told her, cupping her chin and giving her a kiss. "Not here."

Ayame ran her hands down his side, her breathing a bit quicker, her voice a bit giddy. "In that case... I want to ride you until we both collapse from exhaustion. And I don't know about you... but I can last quite a while."

Tomislav pulled off his shirt, placing it on a rack to the side. Soon after, his gloves joined it - though he seemed a little tense about taking them off. Underneath the heat-retardant material, his hands were calloused - mostly by a collection of burns. "Making this a contest, huh?"

Ayame took one of his hands, gently kissing it like she was helping make him feel better from a recent injury. "Maybe," she answered, slipping her own shirt off and slipping off her pants. "I prefer the selfless contest, though. To see who can make the other feel the best. Though, from how you make me feel, even before we start, you seem to have the advantage."

Tomislav chuckled. "You flatter me. At the end of the day, no matter how you want to frame it," he stated, dropping his pants and hanging them up as well. "We're just here to have fun. And I'm burning with anticipation." He pulled Ayame close, giving her a deep kiss this time and running his hands through her hair.

Ayame moaned softly as she kissed him back, enjoying the feel of his lips. Of his skin against hers. "You know," she said softly, keeping her face close to his. "If I didn't know better... I'd say I was starting to really fall in love with you, Tomislav." She slowly snaked a hand south, eagerly searching for a prize to grab hold of.

"I could say the same, Ayame," the Harrier replied, letting out a brief exhalation as she got what she desired. "I see you're... equally eager."

"Oh, yeah." Ayame vigorously moved her hand, her fingers practically dancing. She lightly kissed his chest, and she continued to kiss him as she lowered her body, eventually making it to her knees and slowly taking him in as much as her comparatively smaller mouth could.

Tomislav sighed slowly. That hits the spot... He kept his hands on her head, allowing her to move as she saw fit.

After a minute, she moved faster, then faster still. She seemed to have experience, her tongue rolling about, and she wasn't afraid to use her throat. She pulled her head back, needing a second to catch her breath. "God, I love a man with vitality," she stated, stroking him a few times before diving in for round two.

"You're... really good at this," Tomislav gasped out in surprise. It wasn't too much longer before Ayame had him beat.

Ayame held firm, only withdrawing her head when she was sure he was done. She wiped her lips and smiled up at him. "So tell me, Tom. You need a minute, or are you ready to move on to the main course?"

Tomislav rolled his neck. "I... think I'll be good. You caught me off guard is all."

Ayame climbed to her feet. Despite the situation, she turned her back to him while she slipped her underwear off. She took a deep breath, and turned towards him, smiling nervously.

Tomislav returned the expression with plenty of confidence, and took her hand, leading her to the bed and propping her up against it. He leaned forward to give her a few kisses, and as he did so he angled himself and pushed in.

Ayame jumped a bit, goosebumps spreading over her body and a big smile spreading across her face. "I-it's... been a while," she whispered breathlessly.

"You don't say? I'll make this good, then." Tomislav held Ayame close, close enough that their bodies pressed together, and quickened his pace.

Ayame's breathing hastened along with his motions, the smile plastered on his face. "Oh, God... so good. You... Tomislav..."

"I love you, Ayame. I'm glad I met you here," Tomislav got out as he neared the finale.

Ayame seemed to be getting close herself, holding him tightly. "I love... you too... so... much..."

Tomislav gave her a passionate kiss as they both reached their peak, and let her cling to him as they rode out the waves of pleasure that followed. "Wow.. just... wow."

"Y-yeah... agreed." Ayame kissed his shoulder, only releasing him when she felt she had control of her muscles again. "Should have... done this earlier," she said with a laugh. "Tom... thank you."

"No problem... that was great." Tom brushed her hair lightly. "You're really something..."

"I was about to say the same thing to you." Ayame gave him a look she hadn't given anyone in a long time. A look of contentment. I look of adoration. Of pure wanting. "You know... you make me feel special... by making me feel normal. By making me feel like... I'm no different then any other woman. You make me feel like... I deserve to have someone make me happy. And that you can be that someone."

"Well, you do deserve it. You've been through a lot of crap in centuries of wandering, and you're a sweet girl," Tomislav agreed. "I'm glad that you're fine with... someone like me being your lover."

"Of course." Ayame wrapped her arms around him again, holding him tight. "I just... want to hold you now. Just for a little bit." She smiled softly. "At least... until we're both ready for the next round."

"Fine be me," Tomislav agreed with a smile plastered onto his face.

Black0ut

Black0ut and DarkGemini24601: “Mental Molding

1758 Hours, October 30th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 5, Central Block
The Living Quarters

Red gave a sigh, his daily training, and work, having been finished. He sat in a small chair, and gingerly flipped open the book he had been reading recently. Finally… some time to myself… it’s been a very long week. Yakone showing up at the facility, my date… But I can finally relax now.

Indeed, he was able to relax for an hour and eleven minutes, precisely. It seemed he had gotten off earlier compared to the others, and only a few people haunted the living quarters - the occupants more or less keeping to themselves. Then, at 1909 hours, a group of six people arrived. Among them were three adults. The oldest was the Commander herself, conversing with the youngest - another Canadian with brown hair and hazel eyes. The thirty-year-old accompanying them was a man of mostly African descent with a bit of Spaniard in him, and following him was a train of three children. The youngest - looking to be in his early teens - followed meekly behind his father, while the eldest - his only daughter of 16 years - confidently followed after her little brother and dad. Trailing far at the caboose was an irritable-looking fourteen-year-old.

Looking up with intrigue, Red watched the group with interest, intrigued as to what the Commander was doing with the other five people. I wonder what they’re doing with her, and how important they are… The Specialist thought.

Noting the presence of the Oglala man, Atka held up her hand for the others to stop, and approached Mark. “Hello, Red Hawk. It’s been awhile,” the Commander noted calmly.

“Pleasure to see you, Boss. What brings you around here, if I might ask?” Red replied, trying hard to keep his nervousness hidden, as he currently held the chip he had previously hidden in his Gremlin.

“Just taking a walk and spending time with my fellow soldiers. Eases the mind. Would it be troublesome if we joined you?” Atka asked.

“Not at all. Although, I do see a few faces I don’t recognize.” Red noted, offering a tired expression that made him look older.

“I’ll let them introduce themselves, then,” Atka stated as they approached.

“Olivia Brown, second-in-command of Maverick Squad,” the brown-haired Alqonquian-Caucasian introduced herself.

“Maxwell Dominguez, the Aerotrooper of that squad,” the Dominican man intoned. Gesturing to his children, he said, “my eldest daughter here is Carem… and her brothers are Junior and Jabes.”

“Nice to meet you,” Carmen greeted with a smile. Jabes offered a similar greeting, but quieter, and Junior just crossed his arms and looked the other way.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Mark “Red Hawk”, but you can call me Mark.” The Oglala Sioux man said with a hint of respect. “So… What brings the Commander, two elite members of the Maverick Squad, and some children to this small section of the ship?”

“Something as simple as relaxation, actually,” Olivia answered, rubbing the back of her neck. “And we’re nothing that special… from what I’ve seen of the logs, your Reflection is a lot more potent than mine is… with me as its master, anyway.”

“Charon… is highly independent. He makes his own choices, and whatever he decides usually has me used as some sort of battery.” Red explained, as he closed his book.

“He wasn’t created by you?” Olivia asked curiously.

Atka nodded. “From how I understand it, Charon is a wandering guardian spirit… an entity that draws power from his users, but is not bound to one.”

“I think that’s it as well, but if you want, I could call him over here. He won’t be too happy, but he’ll be far too interested by the prospect of meeting new people to show it.” Red offered, standing and stretching his back.

“I would like to meet him if possible… maybe he can teach me something about my reflection,” the young woman thought to herself.

“Good thing he’s already here, then.” The specialist stated, as Charon’s head appeared below the floor, as if it was severed.

Hello! It’s my pleasure to make your acquaintances. I do have to apologize as I just got here as the children were speaking, so I don’t know the two adults standing with Atka. Charon attempted to apologize.

“That’s alright. It’s nice to meet you, Charon,” Olivia said respectfully.

And you as well… um… ma’am? Human terms of respect are still new to me, so if I accidentally mess something up, feel free to correct me. So… what can I help you with? Charon asked, as he floated all the way up revealing his two tails that appeared to be a little bushy.

“I was wondering if you could help me with something…” The Ambusher closed her eyes for a moment, and the halved form of Pavise appeared behind her. “I… inherited this Reflection from a fallen comrade, but as you can see, it’s only part of its former self. I’ve been trying to restore it, but… my will just doesn’t seem to operate the same way Christine’s did. I can’t match its resolve, and thus it remains incomplete.”

I see. Well, I don’t know how your Reflection works, but the way I usually maintain this form is mostly due to Mark’s mental endurance. I typically drain him in a typical fight in order to boost my power, restore myself, or to just annoy him. I’d say try to pour your psionic energy, or as much is comfortable for you, into it. But then again, I’m not too knowledgeable in terms of psionics and how that works, so I might not be right. Charon answered, before curling up at Atka’s feet.

“Traitor.” Mark murmured halfheartedly.

Atka crossed her arms. “That’s something I imagine she’s been doing already. I’m not sure that’s the answer… I’ve been having some people keep an eye on Yokolov to see how that Ethereal Reflection and him are working out, and I’m seeing the same trend. If a reflection jumps to another wielder in the event of its user’s demise, it endures… but is weakened. I’m not convinced that’s irreversible, but… I don’t know how the problem could be fixed off the top of my head, either.”

“Why not have the shattered Reflections appear in the same area? Conduct tests to see if any valuable data can be obtained?” Red offered, having returned to his book.

“Not sure that a scientific method will really help when dealing with the supernatural,” Maxwell muttered.

“Better than nothing.” Mark retorted, shrugging before going back to his book.

Mark… be nice. Remember what we talked about. Charon scolded. As for solutions on the Reflections matter… how about the previous user? Maybe figure out how the previous user summoned the Reflection in the first place?

“I know that Pavise was born out of Christine’s protective impulses, which ultimately… exceeded her own desire for self-preservation,” Olivia said with a pained voice. Even with over a month separating her from the day of Christine’s death, it still hurt to talk about - even if the pain had dulled significantly. “Problem is, I… know better than to take it that far. I guess that’s why it isn’t at full strength… and may never be.”

That may indeed be the cause of it, however, there might be a way to control it yet. So this “Pavise” was born out of protective impulses, but the keyword is protective. Every living being, no matter how big or small, has these impulses, as it’s embedded in your dna. Your friend just let those impulses flow, effectively letting them be unrestricted. So, perhaps, what you need to do is to just let the part of you that is protective and caring flow, unrestrict it. Charon advised, as he curled around Atka’s feet in a faux slumber.

“I’ve used him to protect people though… I don’t feel like those parts of myself are locked,” Olivia muttered, frustrated.

“I don’t disagree… nor do I contest that you may not be able to get the Reflection to work in the same way Olivia does. I wonder…” Atka mused. “Perhaps it’s not you that needs to change… maybe it’s the Reflection.”

“Interesting… so what you’re saying, boss, is that the Reflection has to change its reason for existing? Pavise was born out of a protective need for others, so it needs to exist for a different reason so Olivia can use it?” Red asked rhetorically, as it appeared he was more or less getting his thoughts out.

Atka nodded. “Reflections that are born from their users come from a particularly strong desire for something… a strong emotion. They reflect part of the personality of their user - part of their psyche. If the mind doesn’t match when one is transferred… then perhaps the Reflection must be reshaped to fit a new wielder.”

Olivia shrugged. “Maybe… so I need to redefine Pavise’s purpose, then… but to what?”

Maxwell spoke up this time. “Something similar would probably be best. Mold it to a more reserved protectiveness… and considering your style, maybe it needs to be more proactive, and to go out and… rescue people. To be active defensive or even offensive.”

Red began stretching before he walked past the group and leaned on a wall, before taking a look at his hand-made watch. “Well… I hate to be the one who ruins the fun, but I have to go make some quick minute check-ups on Honor. Something seems to keep disrupting his core programming.” Red stated, while his mind panicked, having remembered what he had in his pocket.

Olivia nodded. “That’s alright. You and your Reflection have been helpful for bouncing ideas around. I now have a solid goal in mind… I just need to flex my mental muscles to see if it’s achievable.”

Taxor_the_First

The Enemy of My Enemy is Me, Part 1
11:15 AM, October 30th, 2038
Avenger Holodeck

Arthur grunted as his sword clove through yet another Lancer, the body dissipating into blue particles when it struck the floor. The Mogul behind it pounced, a grave mistake. Arthur merely sidestepped, slashing the holographic alien’s flank in the process. It howled, now angry, and made to engage him properly. But wounded, it had already lost. With what seemed like little effort, the Phantom locked blades with his foe, blocking a few swipes before smacking his enemy’s weapon away and proceeding to cut it down where it stood. To finish, he flipped his sword around in his grasp, stabbing his enemy through the spine. Yanking the blade out, he shook his head. The sound of a corpse hitting the ground was the only sound, the simulation over.

“Again,” Arthur instructed simply, flicking his blade out of force of habit. “Swap out some of the enemies for something else. I don’t care what.”

A denial buzzer sounded, indicating that someone was at the door.

Chariot did not respond at first, stretching his muscles to keep them warm. “Allow entry,” he said, sheathing his blade on his back.

When the doors opened, Samuel strode through. “Why did you leave?” he asked, stopping before the Phantom and folding his arms.

Arthur chuckled. “How did it go?”

The Russian looked like he was about to retort something, but could not find the words. “… it went great,” he admitted. “But that doesn’t answer my question! You just fucked off and left me there with her!”

“And you benefited from it.”

“You knew.”

“That’s not true,” Arthur stated. “I did not know. I merely suspected.”

“You knew!”

The Phantom rolled his eyes. “If you choose to believe that…”

Samuel pointed a finger, poking him in the chest with it. “You are a sneaky, manipulative bastard. Worse than Lester.” His expression fell from anger to a sheepish grin. “So I suppose I should thank you,” he admitted.

“I thought you both would benefit from a conversation without the troublesome presence of an outsider,” Arthur murmured with a smirk. “Now, did you just come here to berate me, thank me, or did you have something else in mind?”

The Russian’s expression fell. “I want your help,” he said quietly. “With Umbra. It’s acting like an ally in that we have the same goals, but I have no control over it. I know you said it isn’t a pet or something, but even Olivia has some control over Pavise.” With a glance at his shadow, he added “What happens one day if it decides it doesn’t like you guys anymore? I won’t be able to reign it in.”

The Phantom nodded slowly. “I understand your concerns,” he began, “but you should discard that last. To explain why, allow me to talk for a moment.” He paused, evidently figuring out how to continue.

“I have experienced much in my lifetime,” Arthur began. “In my journey outside of XCOM to pursue an enhanced psionic prowess, I encountered many kinds of people, Reflection users among them. And I have come to discern two main types – those that existed prior to their masters, and those that were given life by their masters.” He indicated Samuel’s shadow. “I would suggest that Umbra is of the latter variety, though obviously without knowing Azazel’s life story I would not be able to make such a judgement for certain.”

“And that helps me… how?”

“Let me finish. Those given life by their masters are unlike those that aren’t in that the former echo their parents. To take your example, Pavise was a manifestation of some parts of Christine’s psyche. It was given form, function, by her personality, her will. And when it transferred to Olivia, it no longer had access to what gave it shape. So it was altered.” The side of Arthur’s mouth turned upwards in a repressed smile. “And yet, in the few times I have witnessed Umbra since it went to you, I have noticed one thing – it has not changed. At all.”

Samuel folded his arms. “What are you getting at?”

“I am saying that the emotions and drives that birthed Umbra, whenever this occurred, are evidently not dissimilar to what drives you. I am saying that you and Azazel may not have been as different as you might believe.”

“Fuck off.”

“Do you want my help or not?”

The Russian hesitated. “Don’t compare me to that asshole,” he warned.

“You do not even know what you share,” Arthur noted patiently. “My point is this. If you wish to connect with your Reflection, you must understand it. To understand it, you must understand its previous user. Or, since you were evidently similar, yourself.” He placed a thoughtful hand on his chin. “Get your gear,” he instructed. “I have a test in mind.”

A few moments later, Samuel had re-entered the holodeck, now dressed in his armor and carrying his standard loadout. “The hell are you planning?” he asked the Phantom, evidently unable to determine the purpose of this himself.

“Sun Tsu’s Art of War states that to know both the enemy and oneself is the path to victory. Here, I think you would benefit from learning about both at the same time.” He turned to the large empty space that was the rest of the room. “Computer! Random environment, please. And spawn soldier number two-seventy-seven. Hostile, please.”

The open expanse of the room was replaced by a snowy environment, the Phantom and Aerotrooper finding themselves in the ruins of a wood cabin. Barely visible in the white flurry whipping through the air, blue particles coalesced in a form very familiar to Samuel. Armor tinted blacks, greys and whites, an assault rifle in hand, and a shotgun holstered on his back. A skull bandana wrapped around his upper right arm. A visored helmet stared back at him, the newly-spawned soldier adopting a cocky pose.

“You’re kidding me,” Samuel muttered. “You want me to fight myself?”

“Perhaps one’s worst enemy,” Arthur affirmed. “The shipboard computers hold imprints of us. No personality beyond how we fight, mind, but approximations based on footage. This is as close to fighting an equally matched opponent as you will get.”

“And how the hell is this meant to help me with Umbra?” the Russian asked irritably, watching his doppelganger with a wary eye.

The Phantom shook his head. “You will understand soon enough,” he stated, turning to go. “You may begin when I have left.”

The door closed behind him, and Samuel was left staring at his copy, snow eddying around them like currents of water. “You talk?” he asked.

No response.

“Thought not.” The Russian exhaled, cracking his neck and limbering up. “Alright, I’m ready. Start.”

With a nod, the doppelganger dissipated, presumably reappearing elsewhere. Priming his Pulse rifle, Samuel moved forward, away from the cover the broken cabin might have provided. I’m not about to just wait for him to come to me, he thought as he began trudging through the snow.

The area was relatively flat, the snow blanketing the ground in a thick embrace. Trees too were wrapped in the slurry, and it was only getting worse as the weather continued. Samuel’s boots left imprints in the ground, a trail marking where he’d been. Visibility obstructed by the snow-filled air around him, the idea occurred to him that they could be several meters apart and not see each other.

Not used to this, he grumbled internally. Dammit Arthur. Give me a room full of enemies over this hide and seek bullshit…

The rocks were large, upright in the ground like gravestones. How bloody large is this room? Samuel wondered, unable to see an end to the white and grey past the stones. With a sigh, he leaned against one, snow frosting on the outside of the stationary soldier’s armor. Suppose it could be worse. Could’ve been a desert. Fuck deserts.

Abruptly, part of one of the boulders ahead of him broke away, revealing itself to be his enemy. Snow falling off his form, the doppelganger raised his rifle, firing a few bursts as Samuel scrambled to take cover. Using the weather to make himself look like part of the environment, then ambushing me, he thought bewilderedly. Clever bastard…

Seeing he wasn’t going to get any hits and that he was merely exposing himself to counterattack, the doppelganger fell back behind another boulder, disappearing from view. Samuel, meanwhile, considered his options. He drew his Scatterblaster, and pressed himself against the rock. And he waited.

His opponent took their time. Evidently, they were expecting this from him. A few minutes passed with nothing in Samuel’s ears but his own breathing, and the occasional patter of a larger-than-normal piece of snow striking the side of his helmet. He wiped his visor once. Adjusted his footing. And heard the crunch of snow on rock from behind him.

Trusting his instincts, he dove forward as pulse fire scorched the snow he’d been standing on mere seconds before. Turning around, he fired a blast in retribution at his doppelganger, who had chosen to go over the boulder Samuel had been hiding behind rather than around. A rushed shot, it missed, but did scare his enemy enough to force a retreat.

“Dammit, get back here!” the Russian taunted, swapping back to his rifle and making to chase his foe. “I’m not done yet!”

The waiting doppelganger’s blast was a glancing blow, melting some of Samuel’s armor and part of the rock it struck. He swore, flinching and firing at the same time. Pulse harmlessly peppered the ground, giving the copy time to break for a different boulder. It moved irregularly, dancing to the side at abrupt moments, slowing down or increasing in speed in such a way that made it difficult – if not impossible – for Samuel to target it.

Taxor_the_First

The Enemy of My Enemy is Me, Part 2

Bastard’s running rings around me! he thought, angrily reloading his rifle. Out-maneuvering me at every turn! Is this what ADVENT feels like when I’m on the field?

The beginnings of a realization tugged at his consciousness, an aspect of this fight he hadn’t considered. Then it dawned on him. He knows he’s fighting himself, Samuel realized. Which means he knows all my tricks. But he also knows I know all my tricks. If I want to win this, I have to put myself in my own shoes. Work out how I’d react in his position. To know my enemy, I have to know myself.

He started laughing. “Arthur, you sly bastard,” he muttered, shaking his head. Gripping his rifle, the Aerotrooper began moving forward, snow crunching under his boots.

As he began to round the boulder, however, he stopped. And, just as he had predicted, a blast of Pulse energy shot from behind it, the doppelganger attempting to judge where he’d be from the sound of his footsteps. Capitalizing on his copy’s mistake, Samuel dashed around the rock, rifle up and ready. A few of the lasers that danced from the barrel of his weapon struck the retreating figure’s form, but evidently were not enough to down them.

Rather than chase them in rings, the Russian climbed atop the boulder, searching for his prey. He caught a glimpse of a boot disappearing into the snow, swallowed by the white flurries. Samuel cursed, sliding down and giving chase, using his target’s footprints as a method of tracking him down.

He found him lying against a tree.

The doppelganger merely watched as Samuel approached, breathing heavily and holding its side. Evidently, the Russian had landed a solid hit. The armor was scorched and melted, though any flesh beneath was covered by the copy’s hand. Samuel winced at the sight. “Could be worse,” he muttered. “I could have shot you on the right. Or the back.”

The doppelganger merely stared at him.

“Ah, whatever,” the Aerotrooper sighed. “Guess I win.” He drew his Scatterblaster, preparing to finish his enemy off.

He was surprised when the copy shifted sideways at a speed he shouldn’t have been able to in his condition. He was even more surprised when it also lifted its own Scatterblaster. And he was completely befuddled when the simulation ended, registering fatal damage on his armor.

“What the hell was that?” he asked no one in particular, stunned. “Did I just lose?”

“I’m afraid so,” Arthur responded, walking up behind him and placing a hand on his shoulder. “It seems that though you were able to predict strategy, you failed to remember one thing about yourself. Your will.”

Samuel turned to the Phantom, taking off his helmet in the process. “My will?”

“Even in the face of insurmountable odds you have continued fighting,” was the explanation. “Even lying there, dying, you weren't about to give up. This persistence is something that has gotten you through many of the challenges that have come your way.”

The Russian nodded, slowly. “So… why did I do this again?”

Arthur rolled his eyes. “To learn about yourself,” he answered. “You… are relentless. You pressure your enemy, and when they’ve had enough of your antics you lie in wait for them, allowing them to walk into your trap. You do not give in. You do not give up. They say ADVENT, the aliens, they know not of mercy. But you, when in the field of battle… you are worse. You blitz through until you are done.”

“Are we talking about my personality or my tactics here?”

“Both.” The Phantom watched him for a moment. “I think I understand you a bit better, now. Combat is a game to you. One where you bend the rules in your favor. It is on the battlefield where you indulge yourself in the rush.” He chuckled. “In fact, you remind me of Tumulis in this.”

“And how does any of this help me?” Samuel asked tiredly.

“It brings us a step closer to understanding the gap between you and Umbra,” Arthur answered. “Patience, Samuel. Go rest. Should you be willing, we will seek answers on the other side.”

The Russian rolled his right shoulder, the sight of his own body punctured by pulse marks still unnerving him. “Other side?”

“We know understand you,” the Phantom answered. “But we have yet to understand your shadow.”

Arthur had instructed him to come to his room when ready. And now that he was here, in front of this re-purposed room, images of a few days ago, unbidden, rose fresh in Samuel’s mind. Whilst not entirely unwelcome, the contrast was a little unsettling. I’m not coming here to get laid, the Russian berated himself as he opened the door. At least I hope not. Never did ask what Arthur’s preferences were…

The Phantom was sitting cross-legged on the ground. “Sit,” he instructed simply, loosening his posture as the Russian did so. “So, you wish for more control over your shadow…”

“Of course,” Samuel snapped. “I don’t want to be responsible for one you being smashed to a bloody pulp.”

Arthur merely nodded. “I should warn you then,” he stated. “It is possible that you will not achieve such control until the two of you are of one spirit. Of one mind. It is possible that you might be able to change Umbra…” He paused, likely for dramatic effect. “… and it is also possible that Umbra may change you.”

“Wait, what?”

“This is the primary reason why I am bothering with this exercise at all,” the Phantom explained. “I cannot determine whether either of these would be good things without knowing the both of you. What makes you tick.”

“Well, you know me,” Samuel stated, folding his arms. “How do you intend to get to know Umbra? It’s not like it can be summoned at will, and unless you want to shoot me-“

“That will not be necessary,” Arthur assured him. “Umbra is tied to you. At some level in your mind, soul, spirit, it exists. The trick is finding it.” He breathed in, and out, slowly. “We will need to enter your mind. A state many call the ‘dreamscape’.”

“I thought only psions had those.”

The Phantom chuckled. “We are all psions,” he reminded the Russian. “Close your eyes.”

This is stupid… With a sigh, Samuel acquiesced, closing his eyes and shutting out the small amount of light the room had.

“Allow yourself to calm,” Arthur instructed. “Focus on nothing. As if you were going to sleep.”

With some difficulty, the Russian did as told. A brief tugging on his mind let him know Arthur was watching. And, weary from his earlier test, he began to slip from consciousness.