XCOM Multiplayer Tournament

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
I'm posting this for Meaningofbread. Here was the quick draft she came up with.

Competitors:
1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-

Rules:
1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-

Meaningofbread

Sweet, lets start making the rules! Any suggestions? During this process we can be marked as Yea/Nay for joining. Once that is finished, we can set a date and main mode of communication (Steam, Mumble etc.).

wolfb

For rules we could have a map, a point limit, some banned things, like (snap shot) snipers (I've played some multiplayer, they are quite strong). We should of course agree on if we're going to use EW in the tournament.

Set me as Yea.

S

Sarge-Pepper

Well, we'll need a points limit. No idea how to ballpark that one.

I'm thinking that there needs to be a build list so that everyone is ready to go in a quick time, I'm thinking three possible build lists, like a magic tournament, you choose which list you are going with before the match.

There will have to be a screenshot of the end of the match, so that a ref doesn't have to be present with each match.

Are we doing single elimination, a round robin style where everyone fights each other a certain amount of times, or each match best two out of three?

We'd have to stick with EU setups in case no one has EW, determine non allowable setups or settings, and maps that can be played on.

Now, I think it would be interesting to have announcers post-battle make quick videos to show the action, maybe cover all of the battles quickly In a 15 min video, just as an idea.

Thenlar

Sure I'm in.

If we're keeping it friendly, we'll probably want to limit mimetic skin troops to a max of 1. Snipers are just snipers. They're dangerous, but they have weaknesses too. And generally expensive.

Taugaunt

Sounds fun. I am going to participate (and probably lose) for sure.

I also love the 3 pre-built lists system.

My suggestion is that if we do it in an elimination style matches should be best 3 out of 5 (I understand that would take some time but it would be easy to fix by lowering the squad count to only 2 squads)
- the winner is the one who kills all of his/her opponents squads
- the winner of a round cannot change there squad
As for point value I am going to suggest 20000 it allows for some more interesting units to be taken without them having to be the backbone of your squad (but yes bans will need to be in order for it to work.)

No doubles would be a good ban (no 2 of the exact same thing)

Last edited:

Suryce

Game Master
Note that there's been an update recently and Mimetic Skin now cost thrice as much points (1200), so this is already nerfed.
And still on the subject of re-price, the most overpowered unit currently is the Sectoid Commander, which got its price reduced even though it's already a powerful and frequently used unit (I have no idea why the devs thought this was a good idea). If one type of unit really had to be ban, I would recommend the psychic ones, or at least the Sectoid Commander.
On the other hand, I don't think it's necessary to ban the snipers. A snapshot sniper has to take risks to make a shot, and there are a lot of ways to counter their aim (smoke grenade, poison, flying, etc...)

Also, I recommend setting the limit of points at 10000, it leaves enough freedom while preventing most crazy stuff. And the stronger a unit, the more points it costs, so someone who comes at you with a sniper with good aim and equipment will not have many other units and can be easily countered.

For the choice of maps, I recommend randomness. Different maps are advantageous for different units. No voluntary choice can satisfies everybody.

By the way, I'm interested in participating in the tournament :D

Taugaunt

Note that there's been an update recently and Mimetic Skin now cost thrice as much points (1200), so this is already nerfed.
And still on the subject of re-price, the most overpowered unit currently is the Sectoid Commander, which got its price reduced even though it's already a powerful and frequently used unit (I have no idea why the devs thought this was a good idea). If one type of unit really had to be ban, I would recommend the psychic ones, or at least the Sectoid Commander.
On the other hand, I don't think it's necessary to ban the snipers. A snapshot sniper has to take risks to make a shot, and there are a lot of ways to counter their aim (smoke grenade, poison, flying, etc...)

Also, I recommend setting the limit of points at 10000, it leaves enough freedom while preventing most crazy stuff. And the stronger a unit, the more points it costs, so someone who comes at you with a sniper with good aim and equipment will not have many other units and can be easily countered.

For the choice of maps, I recommend randomness. Different maps are advantageous for different units. No voluntary choice can satisfies everybody.

By the way, I'm interested in participating in the tournament :D

Hmm I think you have changed my opinion on the point limit.
10000 is good.

wolfb

Now, I think it would be interesting to have announcers post-battle make quick videos to show the action, maybe cover all of the battles quickly In a 15 min video, just as an idea.

I don't know if X-COM Multiplayer has a spectator or replay system, or do you mean have the players upload videos/footage?

Taugaunt

we should also implement a rule of a starting map followed by losers choice of map.

Although im not familiar with all the MP maps so I don't know what map it should be.

Dragonivon

I'd be interested in some multiplayer though I have Enemy Within on my XBOX 360 (yes, I know... heresy) so unless there are others like me who are still slumming with the consoles while the rest play on the PC master race, I'll just be glad to watch and offer armchair commentary.

BMPixy

Sign me up, and I'm ready to roll!
And on the topic of banning things, rather than just complete and total bans on abilities/units, have there also be limits, such as only two soldiers with Lurker, or one psionic, or stuff like that.
Also, I'd probably go for 20k points myself, as on my experience in Ranked MP, you tend to see a lot of the same, as only certain builds are viable within the 10k point format.

Gahlo

I'm going to suggest you use Raidcall for a 3rd party option for communication instead of mumble. That way, nobody has to host the server.

S

Sarge-Pepper

I don't think well need to bam much beside sectoid commanders, because the point banal be out with overall ability in the long run. You field a few powerful units, or several weak ones.

As far as winner doesn't change, I don't think that's fair, because it gives the challenger the advantage to adapt to his opponents play style without the winner being able to adapt back.

As far as map, I figure that the map will stay the same through the matches per whatever tier they are on (semifinals, finals, etc), so no one can make a squad list suited for a map, and then always pick that map.

If there is no spectator system on XCOM, then communication isn'tnessecary besides steam chat (if both have it), Skype, or even just messaging each other here. No need to download a whole program just to converse with the person you are playing with.

I think the only thing I can think of to ban would be tile watching, the act of searching for a cloaked enemy based off of where you can't move. Seems to nerf mnemetic skin, ghost grenades, and stalkers

S

Sarge-Pepper

Also, I say if round robin wins, we should have a halftime where everyone has faced each opponent once, where we can change 1 or 2 squad setups.

Taugaunt

I don't think well need to bam much beside sectoid commanders, because the point banal be out with overall ability in the long run. You field a few powerful units, or several weak ones.

As far as winner doesn't change, I don't think that's fair, because it gives the challenger the advantage to adapt to his opponents play style without the winner being able to adapt back.

As far as map, I figure that the map will stay the same through the matches per whatever tier they are on (semifinals, finals, etc), so no one can make a squad list suited for a map, and then always pick that map.

If there is no spectator system on XCOM, then communication isn'tnessecary besides steam chat (if both have it), Skype, or even just messaging each other here. No need to download a whole program just to converse with the person you are playing with.

I think the only thing I can think of to ban would be tile watching, the act of searching for a cloaked enemy based off of where you can't move. Seems to nerf mnemetic skin, ghost grenades, and stalkers
Well the map choice for the loser was something that I have seen in many RTS tournaments for the very reason that it gives the loser an advantage.

As for winner cant change his squad think of it this way
If both players use there strongest teams first (the team they prefer to play with) then the loser having lost there best team must use one of there other ones (witch might not be that strong)
That rule comes mainly from online card game tournaments and some RTS games (preferred races)