X-COM/XSDF RP THINK TANK (part3)

Adrammalech

So...I'm just going to throw some shit out there.

Am I the only one who doesn't like losing? Like, over these years together, I've seen a lot of shit for Ironman XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, and other such roguelikes. I don't like losing! I was 4'11" until I was 22, I lost plenty in real life. When I'm playing video games, I don't like losing. I don't like endings where everyone dies for the sake of "escalation," I don't like situations that are literally hopeless Zambie-style, I don't like being ambushed by sudden rocks falling from the sky Whedon-style. I just don't like losing! I like a story that involves a more personal destruction - like inability to trust, commit, or focus - that doesn't involve the perennial cop-out of physical failure/death. Anyone else, or am I a giant weirdo?

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
So...I'm just going to throw some shit out there.

Am I the only one who doesn't like losing? Like, over these years together, I've seen a lot of shit for Ironman XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, and other such roguelikes. I don't like losing! I was 4'11" until I was 22, I lost plenty in real life. When I'm playing video games, I don't like losing. I don't like endings where everyone dies for the sake of "escalation," I don't like situations that are literally hopeless Zambie-style, I don't like being ambushed by sudden rocks falling from the sky Whedon-style. I just don't like losing! I like a story that involves a more personal destruction - like inability to trust, commit, or focus - that doesn't involve the perennial cop-out of physical failure/death. Anyone else, or am I a giant weirdo?
Preaching to the converted. Played Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on the hardest difficulty, and I kept dying, and thought "I hate this! Why did I do this to myself?"

Of course, I started video games in Gen 2, and hit my stride in Gen 3 with the NES (that's the Nintendo Entertainment System for those of you that probably started with a PS1 or PS2). Now that system had games that knew how to piss you off with difficulty. I want a challenge, but not to lose all the same time! I swear, I beat the carp outta my old NES in frustration back then. And yet... it took the beating. Try that with one of the current systems... if you want it to break from someone sneezing near it. Fucking red rings...

Taxor_the_First

Current Project - ??? (Up to Taxor_the_First) [Estimated Research Speed: Slow]
Notes - Studying an intact fusion or particle weapon would triple research speed into #1 and #2, and would double speed in whichever tree it was attached to. [Current Tier 3 Weapons in stock: 0.]
Currently have a draft I'm in the middle of writing, but due to certain tasks I have before me it's not likely to be done in the next few days, though after that I'll be extra-available. Thought I'd say we're going after the Compact Cooling Systems first, just in case anyone needs to mention it before then.

PrismaCube

Why won't anyone help me with my story :/

megu_nee_by_prismacube-d99rvi5.png

PrismaCube

I would but too many commitments with school VoF and other side stories

Yeah that is true and I'm sorry if I have bothered anymore with my request for help. Guess I should have kept in mind that you guys have other things to do too. But if anyone has time please stop by and give feedback.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
To Marine, Gem, and Frost, who I have ongoing collabs with and who have been waiting patiently for me to respond, I'd like to apologize to you for the wait. Work got busy, two employees decided to sit in the bar next door past when they were supposed to start, I was sent to get them, one of them (Oscar, the assistant manager) childishly started snapping at me, taking his aggresion out on me. Manger yelled at both of them for not coming to help, for punching in late, and for Oscar snapping at me, and again he started snapping, no sorry, screaming at me. Then when it was all done, Oscar tried to send me home early, again taking out the fact that he got in trouble out on me. Grow the fuck up. How such a man child was ever even considered for this position, I will never know.

Suffice it to say... it is one of those days. My mood has been shot in the foot with a shotgun, and is laying on the ground bleeding and twitching. I'll continue when I find a way to lift myself out of my funk later tonight, but for now, I'm just not in the mood, and to continue would make the collabs suffer.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
To Marine, Gem, and Frost, who I have ongoing collabs with and who have been waiting patiently for me to respond, I'd like to apologize to you for the wait. Work got busy, two employees decided to sit in the bar next door past when they were supposed to start, I was sent to get them, one of them (Oscar, the assistant manager) childishly started snapping at me, taking his aggresion out on me. Manger yelled at both of them for not coming to help, for punching in late, and for Oscar snapping at me, and again he started snapping, no sorry, screaming at me. Then when it was all done, Oscar tried to send me home early, again taking out the fact that he got in trouble out on me. Grow the fuck up. How such a man child was ever even considered for this position, I will never know.

Suffice it to say... it is one of those days. My mood has been shot in the foot with a shotgun, and is laying on the ground bleeding and twitching. I'll continue when I find a way to lift myself out of my funk later tonight, but for now, I'm just not in the mood, and to continue would make the collabs suffer.
That's fine if you need a break, no apology needed. All I really need to add is fuck that guy.

PrismaCube

The ironic thing is I thought the manager was out of line for yelling at them, dropping more F-bombs then a Jay and Silent Bob movie, to the point that it started to become comical.

The fucking great fucking thing about fucking english is that you can fucking put the fucking for fucking after almost every fucking word and it still makes some fucking sence. :3

That was my version somewhere out there there is a better version of it. But hopefully that made you a little but happier ^^

PrismaCube

Alright time to go off-topic, for anyone here who watches anime, post a vid of your favorite anime INTRO!

P.S.: Pokemon does not count, because everybody loves that one. :3

Last edited:

PrismaCube

Quick question for you all.

If YOU! or a Character you made, was to be put into a situation that would scare them for life (watching your entire village get slaughtered for example), leaving them cold and humorless but the thought is still fresh. Like it just happened. And now you are put into a situation where you are really hungry and have had nothing to eat for days. However you found a bow and see a limbing deer in the forrest. How would you guys react to this? I would love to hear some things. Does not even have to be a long sentence if you got little time, just take five minutes or so.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

If YOU! or a Character you made, was to be put into a situation that would scare them for life (watching your entire village get slaughtered for example), leaving them cold and humorless but the thought is still fresh. Like it just happened. And now you are put into a situation where you are really hungry and have had nothing to eat for days. However you found a bow and see a limbing deer in the forrest. How would you guys react to this? I would love to hear some things. Does not even have to be a long sentence if you got little time, just take five minutes or so.
Well, depends. Does this individual know how to use a bow? Because... it's harder then it looks.

BMPixy

Would starve, bow doesn't have any arrows. :p

PrismaCube

Well, depends. Does this individual know how to use a bow? Because... it's harder then it looks.

That is also true and I'm glad you asked that question, cause it gets me thinking too. In this case I would say no were it my character, so there is a chance that if they were to shoot they would miss. But would you even go as far as to kill something else or in this case try to kill it, for your own survival, when you have just recently witnesses tons of deaths. Also say you were to kill the deer, how would that affact you even further on your broken path down to insaneness? or would it just leave you emotionless and show you how cruel the world really is and you do what has to be done? How would that also affect you in the future? Once you had time to recover... Gosh things like this get me excited to thing of a story :D

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
That is also true and I'm glad you asked that question, cause it gets me thinking too. In this case I would say no were it my character, so there is a chance that if they were to shoot they would miss. But would you even go as far as to kill something else or in this case try to kill it, for your own survival, when you have just recently witnesses tons of deaths. Also say you were to kill the deer, how would that affact you even further on your broken path down to insaneness? or would it just leave you emotionless and show you how cruel the world really is and you do what has to be done? How would that also affect you in the future? Once you had time to recover... Gosh things like this get me excited to thing of a story :D
I would say... desperation makes us do things that we would not normally do. Assuming this is the first thing he's had to kill, he might be resistant for a while. But as hunger over took him, and he faces the idea of his surviving the slaughter of the village only to by overtaken by hunger, looms ever present, he would be forced to survive. And assuming he eventually figures out how to fire, isn't too far gone with hunger to do it, and is able to kill the deer, the adrenaline would keep him running for a while until he got himself to a safe spot. Then he'd break down, tormented by the death, until he realizes that he has no choice, that it is kill or be killed, and unless he wants to join the others in the cold embrace of death, he has to push on and SMASH THAT FUCKING TURTLE FOR ITS SWEET, JUICY INSIDES!

BMPixy

I would say... desperation makes us do things that we would not normally do. Assuming this is the first thing he's had to kill, he might be resistant for a while. But as hunger over took him, and he faces the idea of his surviving the slaughter of the village only to by overtaken by hunger, looms ever present, he would be forced to survive. And assuming he eventually figures out how to fire, isn't too far gone with hunger to do it, and is able to kill the deer, the adrenaline would keep him running for a while until he got himself to a safe spot. Then he'd break down, tormented by the death, until he realizes that he has no choice, that it is kill or be killed, and unless he wants to join the others in the cold embrace of death, he has to push on and SMASH THAT FUCKING TURTLE FOR ITS SWEET, JUICY INSIDES!

polnareff_oh_crap_3091.png

10 grams of pixy dust to whoever gets the joke, unless your name has a constellation in it. Offer not valid in Puerto Rico.