OOC X-COM Think Tank (part 4)

BlueBead

I assume so but im not entirely sure.

It's the closest equivalent to XCOM: EW's base defense, so I assume that that's the one mission most likely to be restartable. No solid evidence, though.

I did end up going chicken and not enabling Ironman for my third campaign. However, I'm turning autosaves off and only manually saving at the geoscape. I'm also only going to reload for team wipes or failing critical missions (like retaliations). If I do need to restart at all, since I'm only saving at the geoscape, that means the mission maps will be different if I have to re-do. No save-scum allowed in regards to scouting the map. :p
Just going to sloooowly make things harder on myself, haha. Not like there's a rush. I can see myself playing XCOM 2 for a looong time. I just really like the gameplay loop, and the randomly generated nature keeps things interesting.

XCOM 2 could easily be my Game of the Year already, but I'm hoping to see Dark Souls 3 try and rival that. ;) I am a huge Dark Souls nerd.

Frostlich1228

It's the closest equivalent to XCOM: EW's base defense, so I assume that that's the one mission most likely to be restartable. No solid evidence, though.

I did end up going chicken and not enabling Ironman for my third campaign. However, I'm turning autosaves off and only manually saving at the geoscape. I'm also only going to reload for team wipes or failing critical missions (like retaliations). If I do need to restart at all, since I'm only saving at the geoscape, that means the mission maps will be different if I have to re-do. No save-scum allowed in regards to scouting the map. :p
Just going to sloooowly make things harder on myself, haha. Not like there's a rush. I can see myself playing XCOM 2 for a looong time. I just really like the gameplay loop, and the randomly generated nature keeps things interesting.

XCOM 2 could easily be my Game of the Year already, but I'm hoping to see Dark Souls 3 try and rival that. ;) I am a huge Dark Souls nerd.

Huge dark souls nerd?

You are so awesome! It's so hard to find very many people that like that game! :D

BlueBead

I like it, I can just never get very far in the fucking thing that it pisses me off and I stop playing for a year XD

I can definitely sympathize. However, I'm the type of of person that's patient and very difficult to anger. Those traits are pretty essential to not tearing yourself apart when playing Dark Souls or BloodBorne. :p
The one trait of mine that's not very conducive to Dark Souls play, however, is that I have the reaction time of a snail in molasses. Parrying is pretty out of the question for me.

Dahlexpert

I can definitely sympathize. However, I'm the type of of person that's patient and very difficult to anger. Those traits are pretty essential to not tearing yourself apart when playing Dark Souls or BloodBorne. :p
The one trait of mine that's not very conducive to Dark Souls play, however, is that I have the reaction time of a snail in molasses. Parrying is pretty out of the question for me.

I never played Dark Souls or BloodBorne, could never get into those games.

BMPixy

I tried playing Dark Souls once. After eight hours of head-bashing, I managed to beat the first boss with the broken sword. Then I noticed the door to the left that would have taken me down the rest of the tutorial.

I have concluded that these are not my type of games.

Frostlich1228

I tried playing Dark Souls once. After eight hours of head-bashing, I managed to beat the first boss with the broken sword. Then I noticed the door to the left that would have taken me down the rest of the tutorial.

I have concluded that these are not my type of games.

XD

Well, at least you proved how awesome you were and got a sweet fucking mace out of it. :)

BMPixy

XD

Well, at least you proved how awesome you were and got a sweet fucking mace out of it. :)

I would much rather have basic environmental awareness rather than 'awesome' - or as I like to call it 'the reason nobody ever tells me it's possible to do nigh-on-impossible things'.

Frostlich1228

I would much rather have basic environmental awareness rather than 'awesome' - or as I like to call it 'the reason nobody ever tells me it's possible to do nigh-on-impossible things'.

There was even a note on the ground telling you to run away... Souls games do require you to pay attention like that, i feel like if you had kept going you would've been murdered by mimics a lot before you caught on. XD

BlueBead

There was even a note on the ground telling you to run away... Souls games do require you to pay attention like that, i feel like if you had kept going you would've been murdered by mimics a lot before you caught on. XD

Yeah, that's one of the things I love about Souls games. The level design and various details of the game reward paying close attention so much. It feels super satisfying to find a secret or learn a new way to take on a group of enemies based on clues in the environment.

Frostlich1228

Yeah, that's one of the things I love about Souls games. The level design and various details of the game reward paying close attention so much. It feels super satisfying to find a secret or learn a new way to take on a group of enemies based on clues in the environment.

Yeah, if you pay attention enough before you greedily open chests, you can actually see mimics breathe slightly.

DarkGemini24601

Something to note about Liberation of Earth weapons tech: while ballistic weapons may be weaker compared to the laser and heat weapon variants in each tier (for the most part, tier 3 might get... weird) bear in mind special ammunition will almost exclusively only work with kinetic weaponry. There might be HE laser pumpers or something if that can be worked into my tech tree but you can't make tracer rounds or venom rounds work with friggen lasers or waves.

Taxor_the_First

Something to note about Liberation of Earth weapons tech: while ballistic weapons may be weaker compared to the laser and heat weapon variants in each tier (for the most part, tier 3 might get... weird) bear in mind special ammunition will almost exclusively only work with kinetic weaponry. There might be HE laser pumpers or something if that can be worked into my tech tree but you can't make tracer rounds or venom rounds work with friggen lasers or waves.
Well... lasers are already tracer rounds in a way aren't they?

DarkGemini24601

Okay, a thing or two to note:

1) The Avenger Main Database in my signature lists all of XCOM's staff.
2) All of them. We don't have any security guards because A. soldiers perform that role and B. we can't afford to waste able-bodied fighters from a limited supply on watchdog duty.

DarkGemini24601

Fact of the day: ADVENT doesn't use camo. They tend to, as Tygan points out, enploy heavy security rather than subterfuge. And when you have mag weapons you can kind of afford to just smash resistance outposts when you find them rather than have to be all sneeki breeki like we do.