OOC X-COM Think Tank (part 4)

Taxor_the_First

Ditto. Makes me wonder if there's any story significance, or if it's just there as a callback. Since, at least in XCOM 2's canon, the stuff with EXALT was just part of a tactics simulation for the Commander.
I loved that explanation. There was something absolutely perfect about it.

BlueBead

I loved that explanation. There was something absolutely perfect about it.

It was definitely an interesting way of linking XCOM 2's alternate universe to XCOM: EU/EW's universe. It's also a great way to explain why your soldiers start out using conventional weapons and armor, too! I feel like that would have been a really difficult plot hole to explain away if Firaxis had tried to make a direct sequel.

DarkGemini24601

Yeah, the simulations the commander was running were XCOM1-esque, but any succesful campaigns you played are in alternate universes. And you only ran sims to make ADVENT better and maybe fight the resistance. You didn't win the First War for them: they did that themselves.

BlueBead

Still, it makes me wonder if EXALT actually existed in XCOM 2's canon or not.
It could be that they did exist when the aliens first invaded, and perhaps they were even the beginnings of the ADVENT coalition. Or maybe they were just completely made up for the Commander's simulation.

Taxor_the_First

Yeah, the simulations the commander was running were XCOM1-esque, but any succesful campaigns you played are in alternate universes. And you only ran sims to make ADVENT better and maybe fight the resistance. You didn't win the First War for them: they did that themselves.
This is all assuming you are good at the game, though. Sometimes I feel like the resistance would have stood a better chance if they'd left me in that tube.

DarkGemini24601

Still, it makes me wonder if EXALT actually existed in XCOM 2's canon or not.
It could be that they did exist when the aliens first invaded, and perhaps they were even the beginnings of the ADVENT coalition. Or maybe they were just completely made up for the Commander's simulation.
Jake said something along the lines of them never being prominent in X2. They were still some psuedo illuminati but they never got alien tech and were likely rendered powerless by the dissolution of world governments.

Now, in Liberation of Earth...

DarkGemini24601

Speaking of Liberation of Earth, I've been getting some confusion about intro posts so allow me to clear that up. They should be at least a single post (preferably over half the character limit at least), but not TOO long (don't re-enact Luxuria's 7 part solo missions for me). Content wise, I don't really mind if they're before you get on the Avenger, involve your recruitment, or are the character getting acquainted to the Avenger. I'll review content when I get a chance to look at them before they go up, so that's not a problem.

What I want out of them is simply to let you introduce your character. Whether you're showing what they're like through daily life, recruitment, or adjusting to XCOM, the character matters the most.

BlueBead

This is all assuming you are good at the game, though. Sometimes I feel like the resistance would have stood a better chance if they'd left me in that tube.

Heh, I feel your pain. I was total garbage at XCOM: Enemy Within. I'm not sure if I've just gotten more experienced or if XCOM 2's base-building/strategic side is just easier for me to understand, but I'm way better at XCOM 2. I'm breezing through Commander difficulty with only a few hitches so far. Classic difficulty in XCOM: EW wrecked my shit though. It could also be better difficulty balancing, too. I know I'm not alone when I say that in XCOM: EU/EW normal was painfully easy while classic was life-ruining.

On classic in XCOM: EW, there were several times when I thought to myself, "Whoever appointed me as commander should be fired."

DarkGemini24601

Heh, I feel your pain. I was total garbage at XCOM: Enemy Within. I'm not sure if I've just gotten more experienced or if XCOM 2's base-building/strategic side is just easier for me to understand, but I'm way better at XCOM 2. I'm breezing through Commander difficulty with only a few hitches so far. Classic difficulty in XCOM: EW wrecked my shit though. It could also be better difficulty balancing, too. I know I'm not alone when I say that in XCOM: EU/EW normal was painfully easy while classic was life-ruining.

On classic in XCOM: EW, there were several times when I thought to myself, "Whoever appointed me as commander should be fired."
Because normal shackled the AI from ever using grenades and often from making optimal moves, whereas you get some hidden bonuses until Legend in XCOM2 but the AI is only slightly stupider on lower difficulties.

Taxor_the_First

Because normal shackled the AI from ever using grenades and often from making optimal moves, whereas you get some hidden bonuses until Legend in XCOM2 but the AI is only slightly stupider on lower difficulties.
I still maintain that muton grenade spam is the absolute worst. Thank god the new floaters don't have grenades too, like they used to.

DarkGemini24601

Part 3 of "XCOM: A Story of Despair" coming at ya. Then it's just part 4, and the events of the Dark Years that follow. Enjoy.

To be perfectly honest, I'd vehemently insist you read all of 'Story of Despair' as it sets really good groundwork for the character of this world's Atka Ipiktok and is a fun read in general. I do absolutely require that members read the Dark Years pieces that will follow Story of Despair though, as it will really set context for the revival of XCOM and the state of affairs in 2038 (present day). Read Story of Despair too! Please?

Frostlich1228

Part 3 of "XCOM: A Story of Despair" coming at ya. Then it's just part 4, and the events of the Dark Years that follow. Enjoy.

To be perfectly honest, I'd vehemently insist you read all of 'Story of Despair' as it sets really good groundwork for the character of this world's Atka Ipiktok and is a fun read in general. I do absolutely require that members read the Dark Years pieces that will follow Story of Despair though, as it will really set context for the revival of XCOM and the state of affairs in 2038 (present day). Read Story of Despair too! Please?

Ahhhhh I can't rate this! <:0

BlueBead

Yep. We told Sarge about it, but... I haven't seen him in awhile, so expect site fixes soon(TM).

I haven't heard from the dude since last November. His profile says last seen on January 29th, but I was MIA from Gamigon at that point so I wouldn't know. :p
I was working on another commission of the Gamigon Goat at the time, and then he just dropped off the face of the earth for as far as I can tell. I keep meaning to poke him about it in emails, but with the holidays I never got to it. So it's still up in the air, I suppose.

Can't believe it was only late 2014 when I did the logo. Feels longer ago than that...

Taxor_the_First

I haven't heard from the dude since last November. His profile says last seen on January 29th, but I was MIA from Gamigon at that point so I wouldn't know. :p
I was working on another commission of the Gamigon Goat at the time, and then he just dropped off the face of the earth for as far as I can tell. I keep meaning to poke him about it in emails, but with the holidays I never got to it. So it's still up in the air, I suppose.

Can't believe it was only late 2014 when I did the logo. Feels longer ago than that...
That (Jan 29th) was when we reported the issue to him. He knows, he just hasn't gotten around to fixing it I assume. I wouldn't be too concerned, it's not exactly a site breaking issue (although I do miss that feedback, and the ability to agree with someone without writing an essay).

Frostlich1228

That (Jan 29th) was when we reported the issue to him. He knows, he just hasn't gotten around to fixing it I assume. I wouldn't be too concerned, it's not exactly a site breaking issue (although I do miss that feedback, and the ability to agree with someone without writing an essay).

(Disagree Rating)

BlueBead

Feedback essays are great, but the rating system is a nice way for people to give simple feedback without having to make under three word posts. Clogs up the works a bit when you start getting them in bulk. :p