X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psilon

I thought it was the opposite, you have to seem normal enough to be accepted, then you're free to become as crazy as possible. I would think a little psychosis has to be an assumed part of the job, especially if you suddenly get telekinesis or get all your limbs replaced.
Now, I hate being the boring bastard to say this, but being psychotic and being a psychopath are very, very different things. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
And being a psychopath would hardly see you gunning your allies down, especially if you're aware that your life depends on them. Pushing them in the line of fire for the sake of your survival is a completely different issue :)

Now, I hate being the boring bastard to say this, but being psychotic and being a psychopath are very, very different things. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
And being a psychopath would hardly see you gunning your allies down, especially if you're aware that your life depends on them. Pushing them in the line of fire for the sake of your survival is a completely different issue :)
A minor psychosis is Still understandable, but When it starts affecting Your mental health critically it becomes an issue. Being too Crazy Can result in un nesessary deaths. I don't See X-COM exacly liking a Soldier thats mental state is too unstable. If the Soldier Can keep himself together, I don't See the minor psycoticness becoming an issue.

Psilon

I haven't read any applications that suggest that kind of symptoms (though in all honesty, I haven't read many), and I'd say that any kind of psychosis that's resistant to medication would be problematic, for both the positive and the negative symptoms, no matter how minor or major. If they respond well to drugs, I don't think it matters over much, lest any side effects of the medication kick in.
On the other hand, being a psychopath that could function within an organization wouldn't find X-com any more difficult than his previous setting.

Thenlar

Speaking both from personal experience, and from frequent reports, a psychopath isn't much an asset in the military either. Military operations are highly team oriented, and require high degrees of cooperation and trust. How many accounts from the last several wars state the writer was fighting for the guy next to him? A lot of heroes are born out of a desire to protect his buddies.

Not to say that a psychopath couldn't fake it, but it's definitely a hindrance, particularly if it's obvious.

I haven't read any applications that suggest that kind of symptoms (though in all honesty, I haven't read many), and I'd say that any kind of psychosis that's resistant to medication would be problematic, for both the positive and the negative symptoms, no matter how minor or major. If they respond well to drugs, I don't think it matters over much, lest any side effects of the medication kick in.
On the other hand, being a psychopath that could function within an organization wouldn't find X-com any more difficult than his previous setting.
Exacly This. If Medicine can't help You its a big problem. If it can't be controlled You're out.

Psilon

Speaking both from personal experience, and from frequent reports, a psychopath isn't much an asset in the military either. Military operations are highly team oriented, and require high degrees of cooperation and trust. How many accounts from the last several wars state the writer was fighting for the guy next to him? A lot of heroes are born out of a desire to protect his buddies.

Not to say that a psychopath couldn't fake it, but it's definitely a hindrance, particularly if it's obvious.

Wouldn't argue with that. Never said they would be an asset, or a good thing. Just said it wouldn't see them gunning allies down...unless they get pissed off by them. If memory serves psychopaths aren't good at behavioral inhibition. But if they're like that, I highly doubt they'd have functioned well enough in the military to be picked for X-com....though I haven't read through the applications, so what do I know.

Exacly This. If Medicine can't help You its a big problem. If it can't be controlled You're out.

Good gracious, did I miss an application by someone who heard voices? :D I suppose we must trust in our commander to not pick those people.

Well not to say I wouldn't try to keep it interesting but my character doesn't exactly have the worst background. He might end up being that boring bastard treating xcom like a campaign abroad gone wrong.

Psilon

I just wanted to imply that a common enemy - the boring bastard - might spice things in the barracks up, so I'd bow to anyone who decides to play just that.
Well I volunteered for Vahlen, and I don't think anyone agrees with her policy on explosives, so there you have it. Sadly, it's in the character not in me though, so so much for that. And looking forward to seeing who ends up where, once things get rolling.

Vlakvark

Well I volunteered for Vahlen, and I don't think anyone agrees with her policy on explosives, so there you have it. Sadly, it's in the character not in me though, so so much for that. And looking forward to seeing who ends up where, once things get rolling.

Well if you do get the role of Vahlen, you could use that to flesh her out so her whining about not blowing up aliens is more reasonable over "I NEED ZE MATERIALS!" I think she's a pretty rich character in terms of potential, so here's hoping you do get it.

UltimaNamir

I think the first ones to die early in the season should be the ones to be able t get those spots since they don't really get a chance to be part of it otherwise.

Vlakvark

Yeah, trying to get him to be lenient on the rules is pretty pointless. Also, I wouldn't be too worried about dying super early seeing as Chris tends to play super cautiously. Barring some extreme circumstances, I'm pretty sure all the people who are chosen have a pretty long life expectancy.

Dragonivon

Yeah, trying to get him to be lenient on the rules is pretty pointless. Also, I wouldn't be too worried about dying super early seeing as Chris tends to play super cautiously. Barring some extreme circumstances, I'm pretty sure all the people who are chosen have a pretty long life expectancy.

... I rewatched season 3... life expectancy is not a sure thing...

Well I would say he can make some... pretty rash decisions. Like leaving an entire squad without cover infront of a robot that does butload of damage.... js

Status
Not open for further replies.