X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahlexpert

If I had the chose between gen modes or mech. I would go with gen modes,because my character is an assassin/doctor she sees the gen mods as the future of humanity, and she thinks it will be interesting to study the meld which is now in her blood.

Sharkdragon96

Since my character has an injury that got him kicked out of the regular military, I'm really hoping Chris will make him a MEC, though I suppose giving him the adaptive bone marrow abillity could work too.

Yeah I I know what you mean. Even if I'm not in it I enjoyed all the other rp playthroughs if only because the journals that walked along with it made all the more emersing

JuliaMaluca

I wonder how many applications will be granted - with four to six soldiers per mission and, say, fifteen to twenty as backup, we will be lucky if Christopher can cram about 50 people into the base. I really, really, really don't want to be in his position right now!

Yeah choosing is gonna be hard, so we should make his choices count by sticking to the rules and give him a story to sit back to as he goes through the tough part of keeping us alive. Maybe we can hear him bring up key things in the videos from what he reads on our end.

Dragonivon

I am wondering if CommanderOdd will let those whose normal applications aren't accepted take different roles if they wish, namely the positions of those of pilots, Dr Shen, Annette, the other Furies, etc. The characters of the world that will be there regardless of if they have writers or not behind them. Ideally I'd love someone taking on all facets of base life to help flesh it out more deeply and intricately.

I realize that many want to write the story of their own characters but for myself, I chose to try out for Zhang because I'm new to the site and I thought he would be a fun challenge to write about. Next time, after I have some experience with this format I may try a fully original character but for now, I see the framework of Zhang as a challenge, not a limitation to writing.

NanoFate3000

I has a question for everyone, if the commander gave you a choice would you rather stay a normal soldier, be tested to psionics, be gene-modded, or bet turned into a MEC?
Considering how simple Tamara is, she wouldn't want get modded in any way, but i would like to RP any of those, more gene that the others though.

spencer pedersen

Yeah choosing is gonna be hard, so we should make his choices count by sticking to the rules and give him a story to sit back to as he goes through the tough part of keeping us alive. Maybe we can hear him bring up key things in the videos from what he reads on our end.
I am looking forward to the same thing. from what I saw of peoples applications there wasn't a TON of generic muscle bound alcoholic moody ex-rangers that are still looking for the women the met "in the bush" so It shouldn't be to bad.

JuliaMaluca

I am wondering if CommanderOdd will let those whose normal applications aren't accepted take different roles if they wish, namely the positions of those of pilots, Dr Shen, Annette, the other Furies, etc. The characters of the world that will be there regardless of if they have writers or not behind them. Ideally I'd love someone taking on all facets of base life to help flesh it out more deeply and intricately.

I realize that many want to write the story of their own characters but for myself, I chose to try out for Zhang because I'm new to the site and I thought he would be a fun challenge to write about. Next time, after I have some experience with this format I may try a fully original character but for now, I see the framework of Zhang as a challenge, not a limitation to writing.

Well, to me, playing one of the Furies or Annette or one of the other important NPCs would be a reward and far above simply being accepted as soldier. Plus, as far as I remember you could apply to be one of them, so he'll chose one of the volunteers.

Hm. Should I write "he" with a capital H, just to make sure you know who I'm talking about? ;-)

Psilon

>.> Did we at least take some of the bastards out?
We still haven't a clue how it happened. For all we know not one of them got through far enough. Maybe they used a seeker, to this end, since one would have to be invisible to get there and not be at least spotted by the security cameras.

Last edited:

Thenlar

I am looking forward to the same thing. from what I saw of peoples applications there wasn't a TON of generic muscle bound alcoholic moody ex-rangers that are still looking for the women the met "in the bush" so It shouldn't be to bad.
Lot of people with PTSD, though. Maybe we should have had someone apply to be a therapist! We all know XCom will be needing one... or more.

Dragonivon

Lot of people with PTSD, though. Maybe we should have had someone apply to be a therapist! We all know XCom will be needing one... or more.

Hey, I just applied to be a sociopathic ex-triad with delusions of being a mythological creature. Perfectly normal.

Psilon

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for all! And maybe beta blockers after each mission that went bad. Hope you didn't expect to last long after this job, because you'll be stuffed with more meds than we could fit in you in the presence of any kind of ethical controls.

Well I hope people limit their characters a bit. I mean a psychopath as an X-COM soldier results in only trouble, if your mental state is not stable enough you are most likely kicked out. Ex-psychopath? That sounds awesome, especially if they are trying to recover from their former self.

Meaningofbread

Well I hope people limit their characters a bit. I mean a psychopath as an X-COM soldier results in only trouble, if your mental state is not stable enough you are most likely kicked out. Ex-psychopath? That sounds awesome, especially if they are trying to recover from their former self.

My character will essentially have to hide the fact that she was a mass murderer and a major crime lord. Also the fact that she enjoyed it the entire way. Maybe if someone gets super close to her, she'll spill the beans.

Adrammalech

I thought it was the opposite, you have to seem normal enough to be accepted, then you're free to become as crazy as possible. I would think a little psychosis has to be an assumed part of the job, especially if you suddenly get telekinesis or get all your limbs replaced.

I thought it was the opposite, you have to seem normal enough to be accepted, then you're free to become as crazy as possible. I would think a little psychosis has to be an assumed part of the job, especially if you suddenly get telekinesis or get all your limbs replaced.

A Soldier Going Psycho Can result in Bad Things. I'm not saying You need to be 100% sane but if Your mental state endangers the X-COM staff and Your fellow soldiers, I Can Tell You They won't Let You stay. I mean think of it logically: is a Soldier that Can snap and Kill his squadmates at any moment a Soldier deemed fit for duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.