X-COM RP THINK TANK (part2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Too late for me to do anything right now (Time for all good angels to go to sleep, Mr. Bubbles). Just putting a post here so I'll get a notification if someone else posts here.

PrismaCube

Okay, like I said in the other Forum already, before we start we need to talk over this again. So it will not just be a punch of stories clashing with one another, where in one story Berlin has been destroyed and in the other one some dude is chilling in Berlin with ice cream and shit, xD. So shall I start then?

First of all we will start the RP at a point before the alien attack, let's say a week before. From here on out you can tell your story, however we also need to keep the pace the same. We can't have someone finish the whole story in under a week while other people are still writting about how they shot their first alien xD

DarkGemini24601

Yeah, I think that's what we should have the GM for. They can set the pace, though whoever plays the GM can still do other things like a character of course, as we aren't really bound by anything. (Also, far-future suggestion...perhaps making the final mission more interesting as it sucks in vanilla xD)

PrismaCube

My thoughts exactly, so does anyone want to be GM? Does anyone have any knowledge in GM, and does anyone vote anyone else as GM?

DarkGemini24601

I think either Zombie or I could do it, I have experience with directing a story as a sort-of-gm, though it does depend on who really wants it, I've fine with being specific role(s) or being the GM. (Basically, depends on what ZS wants to do.)

Sarge

Just fix stuff.
Staff member
You guys should make a world map like in xcom and assign players to each country or a few. Giving the a GM the option of randomly creating a events and rasing threat/panic level to be included into the next published post. Later we can combine all the stories to create like a xcom season book. Ok so you guys can ignore my idea if it's to far out there. I can help with this stuff as soon as the new site is up by creating all the art you need and scenario.

Let me know your thoughts.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I think either Zombie or I could do it, I have experience with directing a story as a sort-of-gm, though it does depend on who really wants it, I've fine with being specific role(s) or being the GM. (Basically, depends on what ZS wants to do.)
If you think you're up for it and have the time, I'm cool with you GMing.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
468px-Situation.png

Well these are the countries we have to deal with, but if there is any specific you want to go to by all means

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
(Note this was an old peice of writing that I did for another project a while back but is just shown for reference...Sorry if I suck)

My name is Desmond Walker. If you haven't heard of the name it is probably because I am a phantom. In the eyes of the American government, I do not exist. I was trained in my teens by the CIA to be one of their top agents. I wasn't just another assassin, I was THE assassin. You needed someone dead and they ended up dead. That was also the same time I created my one and only friend, Glitch an artificial intelligence that not only keeps me company but also acts as my spotter in the field. Now I had been given a mission to exterminate a known illegal weapons contractor in the Middle Eastern city of Dubai. That was the day my life changed...forever.

This was my last day in Dubai after an all expense week stay in the city. I was not there for a vacation though. My assignment, kill Jarid Arid, a known weapons contractor on the black market. This guy sold anything from Glocks to Miniguns to whoever would pay the most. He was staying in the Burj Al Arab hotel so that was where I would kill him. I was set up on a rooftop about one mile away from the hotel. I grabbed my trusty modified M24 high powered sniper rifle which was fitted with a custom action to hold a 50 caliber round and was lining up the shot. That is when it happened. A huge green blast shot down from the sky and obliterated the entire hotel. I looked up astonished to see a giant ship in the sky, like something out of Independence Day. I looked on not in horror but some kind of contempt.

The shelling seemed to go on for hours. The screams died down after the first hour and the ship headed off about 20 minutes later. My sniper nest was well concealed so I was guessing I was in the clear for now. I picked up my sniper and looked over at Glitch and said to him, "Glitch, upload the mission results and send a quick report back to my handler. Tell her what has happened here and tell her to send an Evac to the secondary drop zone." Glitch nodded his head and extended his little radar dish concealed in his head.

I was starting to put away my gear when all of a sudden a VTOL looking ship descended from the sky behind me. It landed by the docks which were about one click away from my position atop the roof I was on. Whether out of curiosity or just plain stupidity I decided to set up my rifle again. Looking down the scope I saw just as the ramp had opened up, a squad of four had come out of the ship. There were two women, and two men. "Glitch run a scan on that ship and those soldiers and see if you can find out where they are from." Glitch looked intensely at the ship and then at the soldiers. "I can not identify where they originate from or what agency they are affiliated with sir." I looked down the scope of my gun again to see what was going on.

Out of nowhere a green bolt came out of an unknown position and struck one of the men in the chest. He was dead before he even hit the ground. The squad then scattered. The two women took up shelter in a shelled out store and the man got hit in the back while he was running. Then the enemies came out from their positions. There were six of these grey looking aliens and had things strapped to their arms. Whatever they were they were the source of the bolts. All six started firing at the building where the women were held up. It was a split second decision but I had to make a choice.

I looked down the crosshairs of my rifle and told Glitch to make the correct adjustments. After the adjustments were made I put my finger on the trigger. I slowly released the air in my lungs and pulled the trigger. Once the round was sent it was a few seconds before the big target of a head the aliens had got hit. I quickly adjusted for the five other aliens and sent all five rounds flying within seconds of each other. All five went down and it looked like the assailants were all dead. I quickly put away my gear and headed down to the dropsite.

I arrived after 10 minutes of climbing down from rooftop to rooftop making my way to the store. When I arrived there one of the woman appeared injured while the other was patching her up. When they noticed me the wounded one pulled a pistol from her hip and aimed it at me. To bad I was a faster quick drawer. By the time she had to pointed at me mine was drawn and had shot it out of her hand with my Rhino revolver. I swung the gun between my finger and slid it into its holster. Out of all the things I could say all I said was, "Well, hello there."

DarkGemini24601

Pretty interesting, Avenger. The AI's presence did catch my eye, might mean that our shivs have something similar.

As for myself, I have plenty of time on the weekends but I'm only going to be around in the late afternoon-evening for weekdays, if that is sufficient I will GM but if we want to go faster I wouldn't be able to keep up Monday-Friday.

Now, depending on the style we take that may not matter, if I'm only super-important relating to missions/events that's not a problem, but if I have a character or play the base staff as well that would obviously require my active presence.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
yeah what I was thinking was to have Desmond lend his knowledge to xcom so that the shivs could be made, little different from oh research this and get this I want techs to be researched because something caused it to be available(Examples being oh we captured an alien alive and got their weapon but we don't have the tools to reverse engineer it and then later on have a squad go into an alien ship and find the tools necessary to do the task) everything should happen for a reason.

DarkGemini24601

If I am GM, I will of course need some time to plan out story-related business. (I'd love to have unique events like the Thin Man "Reporter" from Season 2.) For the most part people should be fine to do their intros once we're all ready.

Three bits of information for everyone:

1. A Question: If I am GM what characters should that entail me playing, and would it make sense for me to be a soldier as well or not?

2. I'd also like to hear from everyone whether they think I should be GM or not based on the whole time thing that I mentioned earlier.

3. Current Roster of People Interested in This: (I apologize if I missed someone)

PrismaCube
DarkGemini24601
Frostlich1228
MarineAvenger
Dahlexpert
ZombieSplitter53
Adrammalech

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
If I am GM, I will of course need some time to plan out story-related business. (I'd love to have unique events like the Thin Man "Reporter" from Season 2.) For the most part people should be fine to do their intros once we're all ready.

Three bits of information for everyone:

1. A Question: If I am GM what characters should that entail me playing, and would it make sense for me to be a soldier as well or not?

2. I'd also like to hear from everyone whether they think I should be GM or not based on the whole time thing that I mentioned earlier.

3. Current Roster of People Interested in This: (I apologize if I missed someone)

PrismaCube
DarkGemini24601
Frostlich1228
MarineAvenger
Dahlexpert
ZombieSplitter53
Adrammalech
I think considering the GM should do the execs of xcom such as vahlen shen bradford and potentially commander

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Alright, took me all day, but finally finished the second half of that little story and posted on the other page. Now I can devote myself to this a little more.

As the GM, you'd be responsible for the more important NPCs, but it isn't like this is an official RPG with screens and maps and D20s and figures and attributes and charts and all that, so there is no reason you can't delegate. Commander would be your responsibility, but other characters could come under your control.

As far as time goes, I have no problem with a busier schedule or a more relaxed one, so I'm open to however everyone else feels. If everyone is cool DakrGemini's schedule, cool. If not, then I can take the reigns as GM, though while I'd be free to work the NPC's during the week, much like DarkGemini, I wouldn't be able to handle both them and the missions while also maintaining a squad of my own. That would create a conflict of interest for the soldiers the GM controls anyway, kinda like running a role play with the game and having one of the characters controlled by your mother or something (not to quote any specific examples or anything).

If you'd like, while everyone thinks it over, I can start building enemy bios using the AFMBE system. They'd be nothing official, and everyone would be free to ignore them, but they'd give us something interesting to reference while we wrote our stories.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Alright, took me all day, but finally finished the second half of that little story and posted on the other page. Now I can devote myself to this a little more.

As the GM, you'd be responsible for an important NPCs, but it isn't like this is an official RPG with screens and maps and D20s and all that, so there is no reason you can't delegate. Commander would be your responsibility, but other characters could come under your control.

As far as time goes, I have no problem with a busier schedule or a more relaxed one, so I'm open to however everyone else feels. If everyone is cool DakrGemini's schedule, cool. If not, then I can take the reigns as GM, though while I'd be free to work the NPC's during the week, much like DarkGemini, I wouldn't be able to handle both them and the missions while also maintaining a squad of my own. That would create a conflict of interest for the soldiers the GM controls anyway, kinda like running a role play with the game and having one of the characters controlled by your mother or something (not to quote any specific examples or anything).
Honestly I would prefer you as the GM just because me and DarkGemini are in high school and it can be kind of hard working on a HS schedule as I am sure you have expirenced before.

DarkGemini24601

Yeah...I'm sorta with Marine on this one. I'd love to be a story consultant, Zombie, and I might initiate certain events or something if that can be made to work, but I'm probably going to be hard-pressed to keep up with the more active people. The amount of time I can devote is medium I guess. I love to do stuff like this and I have free time, but school of its own merit saps 8 hours a day. (Though I certainly find time to write during class anyway :p)

HOWEVER! If you really want to play another soldier character or something Zombie I can be GM since I haven't started on a character yet. (Though I may just adapt one from my list from other things...I have many underused people...)

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Yeah...I'm sorta with Marine on this one. I'd love to be a story consultant, Zombie, and I might initiate certain events or something if that can be made to work, but I'm probably going to be hard-pressed to keep up with the more active people. The amount of time I can devote is medium I guess. I love to do stuff like this and I have free time, but school of its own merit saps 8 hours a day. (Though I certainly find time to write during class anyway :p)

HOWEVER! If you really want to play another soldier character or something Zombie I can be GM since I haven't started on a character yet. (Though I may just adapt one from my list from other things...I have many underused people...)
Trust me when I say, while all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, I know more then anyone that school comes first, so if me being GM lets other people join in without taking away from more important things, then I'm game.

I just need a little time to make sure I'm prepared and I have everything planned out. I'd say about five days, a week at the most. In the meantime, I'd like to sure everyone one that list of yours is joining in and cool with me as the GM. Want to know exactly who we've got coming in. As far as specific details, we can spend this time spitballing while I get the officail rules down. For example, is everyone cool with the four-squad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.