Starstream Think Tank

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Good to have you back. Maybe I can get off my lazy butt, shake the cobwebs off, get out of my current funk, and actually do stuff for a change.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
On a seperate note, anyone get the new Fire Emblem game? It is quite different from what I expected. I mean... I haven't played many Fire Emblem games, but I didn't expect some kind of school simulator where you become a teacher and have to choose which class you want, Gryffindor, Slytherin, or... I mean the Black Eagles, the Blue Lions, or the Golden Deer.

One thing that's a shame is the class you pick gets you specific students, naturally, as the different houses are filled with students hailing from one of three kingdoms, but there were students from other classes I wish I could have taken. Anime tropes galore.

In case anyone is curious, I chose the Black Eagles because I liked their class rep the most, she dresses in red which is my favorite color (superficial, I know), and I liked their collection of students the most, especially the really shy girl. So cute and funny. Go team Hufflepuff!

BMPixy

On a seperate note, anyone get the new Fire Emblem game? It is quite different from what I expected. I mean... I haven't played many Fire Emblem games, but I didn't expect some kind of school simulator where you become a teacher and have to choose which class you want, Gryffindor, Slytherin, or... I mean the Black Eagles, the Blue Lions, or the Golden Deer.

One thing that's a shame is the class you pick gets you specific students, naturally, as the different houses are filled with students hailing from one of three kingdoms, but there were students from other classes I wish I could have taken. Anime tropes galore.

In case anyone is curious, I chose the Black Eagles because I liked their class rep the most, she dresses in red which is my favorite color (superficial, I know), and I liked their collection of students the most, especially the really shy girl. So cute and funny. Go team Hufflepuff!

I've been playing and loving the hell out of it. Like 'I've already put in 27 hours into the game' levels of loving it. The alterations to the combat system vastly improve the core game loop, the academy segments break up the combat sections nicely, and I've yet to meet a student I didn't at least sympathize with. Plus the MC being a complete freak of nature who barely emotes, has no hobbies nor weaknesses, and nobody knows how old they are is wonderful on top of all that.

I also went Black Eagle, because I'm a sucker for white haired girls with purple eyes, and buddying up to an Empress sounded like a great idea.

The only nitpick I have with the game is the lost and found activity, as since you're only given profiles on students im your class it makes a lot of the items conplete guessing games as to who they're for.

Insane Darkness

I've been playing and loving the hell out of it. Like 'I've already put in 27 hours into the game' levels of loving it. The alterations to the combat system vastly improve the core game loop, the academy segments break up the combat sections nicely, and I've yet to meet a student I didn't at least sympathize with. Plus the MC being a complete freak of nature who barely emotes, has no hobbies nor weaknesses, and nobody knows how old they are is wonderful on top of all that.

I also went Black Eagle, because I'm a sucker for white haired girls with purple eyes, and buddying up to an Empress sounded like a great idea.

The only nitpick I have with the game is the lost and found activity, as since you're only given profiles on students im your class it makes a lot of the items conplete guessing games as to who they're for.

Damn copycats... I was going to pick Black Eagles since the beginning. :mad:

So, Bernadetta is my Assassin-to-be, Petra is my other Assassin-to-be (I love her crit chance and below 50% crit chance, she broken af), Linhardt is the healer (because he's useless anywhere else), Dorothea is my other healer, Hubert is broken af with his dark magic, Edelgard is more broken as she kills any normal enemy in one hit WITH AN IRON AXE (she has a steel axe, but I've rarely needed to use it), Caspar is my brawler-axe hybrid (I know there's a name for that class but I can't remember it rn), Ferdinand was useless as fuck until I made him a Cavalier (and now nothing can even hurt him, wtf?), and Flayn is really low lvl and she dies to anything (I also made her a Pegasus Knight, but her str stat is ass and she can't use magic for some reason -_-). I tried to make myself a swordfighter, and I'm pretty okay, but I'm ass everywhere else. :/

I chose the Black Eagles because the characters looked cooler (and because my favorite color is red and I like black and I like birds :3). I don't think Blue Lions or Golden Deer have someone who looks as badass as Dorothea does and they certainly don't have the shut-in Bernadetta (though her personality has gotten a little irritating at times). I'm still trying to figure out how the hell the kidnapp- I mean... enslaving of the other houses' children works. >.<

Also, always restore the statues. No ifs, ands or buts. You shall thank me (if you haven't restored them already).

Also also, WHY THE FUCK DOES THE SWORD OF THE CREATOR ONLY HAVE 20 POINTS?! I want to mow people down, not have to use it on the boss... It's such a unique weapon, since it can hit something two spaces away but it's literally the worst thing to use in a giant battle.

My timing could not be worse. I hope everything goes well, Zombie. :3

Last edited:

BMPixy

My mother goes into surgery tomorrow. It should be ainor surgery... I think... but I'm still worried. Not much of a religious person but I'll still be praying for her. I'd appreciate any warm thoughts you send her way. Let's Care Bear this shit up!

You have my best wishes that all goes well.

Damn copycats... I was going to pick Black Eagles since the beginning. :mad:

So, Bernadetta is my Assassin-to-be, Petra is my other Assassin-to-be (I love her crit chance and below 50% crit chance, she broken af), Linhardt is the healer (because he's useless anywhere else), Dorothea is my other healer, Hubert is broken af with his dark magic, Edelgard is more broken as she kills any normal enemy in one hit WITH AN IRON AXE (she has a steel axe, but I've rarely needed to use it), Caspar is my brawler-axe hybrid (I know there's a name for that class but I can't remember it rn), Ferdinand was useless as fuck until I made him a Cavalier (and now nothing can even hurt him, wtf?), and Flayn is really low lvl and she dies to anything (I also made her a Pegasus Knight, but her str stat is ass and she can't use magic for some reason -_-). I tried to make myself a swordfighter, and I'm pretty okay, but I'm ass everywhere else. :/

I chose the Black Eagles because the characters looked cooler (and because my favorite color is red and I like black and I like birds :3). I don't think Blue Lions or Golden Deer have someone who looks as badass as Dorothea does and they certainly don't have the shut-in Bernadetta (though her personality has gotten a little irritating at times). I'm still trying to figure out how the hell the kidnapp- I mean... enslaving of the other houses' children works. >.<

Also, always restore the statues. No ifs, ands or buts. You shall thank me (if you haven't restored them already).

Also also, WHY THE FUCK DOES THE SWORD OF THE CREATOR ONLY HAVE 20 POINTS?! I want to mow people down, not have to use it on the boss... It's such a unique weapon, since it can hit something two spaces away but it's literally the worst thing to use in a giant battle.

Hey, I too was planning on picking Black Eagles since the beginning.

As for builds, I kept Bernadetta as a pure Sniper, though I'm planning on transitioning her into a Bow Knight once I hit Mastery Classes for that sick 5 tile natural bow range. I put Petra as an Assassin as well, but mostly so I could put the MU into Sword Master (though knowing what I know now, I probably would have put her in Swordmaster instead).

And really? Linhardt? Useless? Like, I know healing is his forte, but my Linhardt can still put in work on the front-line, especially after I gave him a Caduceus staff to give him 3-tile magic range. He's quite useful for softening up hard targets. Dorothea I keep as an off-healer, as once you hit B+ or A rank Reason with her, she gets the spell Meteor which allows you to, twice a map, say to anyone within an absurd range, 'hey, are you clustering? shouldn'ta done that'. That, plus her pretty beefy anima magic in general means she only needs to bust out the Physic when shit's getting real. Hubert is also a pretty great dark mage, though I like to keep a lance on him in case he needs to stab an archer or something.

Edelgard is pretty beefy, but I find that a lot of the times she ends up lagging behind the frontline, especially due to her unique class she gets at the start of part 2. She's beefy as hell, but she's a King Tiger when I need a Panzer IV. I built Caspar as hybrid warrior, mainlining the fists and busting out the axe for hard targets, and he mostly functions as a clean-up wrecker, taking out the enemies that my bigger blitzers leave behind in their endless drive down the map. I found Ferdinand pretty useful at the start, but making him a Cavalier and then a Paladin has made him a godsend. Sit him in a forest or on a defense tile and his weapons will break before he does, but I prefer to use him as, well, a Panzer IV - blitzing in to just slam a Gambit down on the enemy formation so that everyone else can smash in while the enemy is weak and confused.

I managed to pick up Sylvain, Hanemann, Manuela, Alois, Shamir, and Felix in my recruitment spree, though all of them but Sylvain are mostly sitting on the bench. Sylvain, though, has become the axe counterpart to Ferdinand. He's a little faster, but not quite as strong, so they got the Cain and Abel dynamic going on a touch. As for the MU, well...

She has become a living god. An attack against her may be one of two things - it can either hit her, or it can hurt her. She can consistently hold down entire map lanes by herself, with only a little physic support now and then to deal with the rare attack that manages to hit her and deal damage. Most of the time she doesn't even need the Sword of the Creator, as either an Iron Sword+ or a Levin Sword will do the trick. She's ended up 10 levels ahead of everyone else just by sheer virtue of how hard she fucks the enemy. Everyone else is playing Fire Emblem, she is playing Dynasty Warriors. Do not pursue the MU.

Anyways, as for recruiting other house's units, you'll have to meet a stat and skill or skill and skill requirement to get them to join your class, and those requirements are lowered the higher your supports are with them. I don't know the exact numbers, but what I do know is that, at least on the path I took, you have until 2/22 to recruit as many people into your class as possible.

Speaking of which, since everybody here is Black Eagles, when February or whatever the hell they call the second month of the year rolls around, when you do your exploration for that month, save talking to Edelgard for the last thing in your routine. You'll be prompted for a point of no return when you talk to her, and depending on your choice you can essentially lose that week's exploration.

BMPixy

Wow, you guys are ahead of me. I guess I don't have as much time to play as I used to. Still in month two...:confused:

Well, I maaaay have blitzed through the entire first thirty hours of the game in a dead-eyed haze where I completely forgot all but my most basic needs in those few days after release because I was that hooked. I am slowing down now that I'm in part 2, because due to spoilers the game is making me very sad about stuff that happened in part 1 and it's hard to keep up my old pace with that kind of feeling looming over me. And before you ask, the game is very clearly intending to make you sad and it's working very well.

Just... if you go down the path I did and there's a character you like that's outside of your class, recruit them. That's all I'll say.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Well, I maaaay have blitzed through the entire first thirty hours of the game in a dead-eyed haze where I completely forgot all but my most basic needs in those few days after release because I was that hooked. I am slowing down now that I'm in part 2, because due to spoilers the game is making me very sad about stuff that happened in part 1 and it's hard to keep up my old pace with that kind of feeling looming over me. And before you ask, the game is very clearly intending to make you sad and it's working very well.

Just... if you go down the path I did and there's a character you like that's outside of your class, recruit them. That's all I'll say.
That many hours and only on part two, huh? Guess this is a long game. Good....

BMPixy

That many hours and only on part two, huh? Guess this is a long game. Good....

Yeah, I've heard it's roughly a 70 hours per playthrough, and you'll definitely be shooting for multiple playthroughs in order to get all the supports as well as get the full story. Real meaty, sink-your-teeth-into-it game.

Insane Darkness

Yeah, I've heard it's roughly a 70 hours per playthrough, and you'll definitely be shooting for multiple playthroughs in order to get all the supports as well as get the full story. Real meaty, sink-your-teeth-into-it game.
I could easily imagine it being more if you explore the campus without using Fast Travel (which I did for a little while...). It picks up after a while, but every time I play a game with a weird passage of time (Persona, Three Houses, etc.), I always feel... weird. I don't know how to describe it. Especially since 5 of the 7 days of the week in Three Houses are spent wondering if you'll be getting a random event and Persona just has it so that you can do 2 or 3 things a day with extra things you can do on specific days. It just... really makes you think about how you're spending your own time and for how long you are able to spend your time in that way. Eventually, the story has to end. That's why I never completed Persona 5 and I got the bad ending in Persona 4 Golden. It's just too stressful.

NOTE: The bad ending in P4 is gotten by ending the story prematurely. There are like 2 months or so after you reach a specific point where you get a choice. You can end the story or let it continue, though I won't say how it offers the choice. Persona games earn their M rating. I'll just say that.