Starstream Think Tank

BMPixy

This is kinda why I don't know why I bother explaining the subtle character details and motivations because when people are already convinced something is bad they will color everything to fit that mold instead of taking an objective step back to actually form their own opinion. (Even though most of the arguments I hear are the same as the latest popular YouTuber's argument regurgitated at me with only slight changes.)

I mean I meant that originally as a tongue in cheek joke, but let's go ahead and dive deep into why I phrased that joke the way I did because I don't have anything better to do today.

So, back when the first trailers for RWBY came out, I loved them to hell and back. Cute girls with cool weapons in big dumb fight scenes, by the guy who did some of the best parts of RvB in my opinion? Sign me the hell up. I must have watched those trailers dozens of times over and over, analyzing them for details, trying to pick out continuity, all that good stuff. They were minimalist stories, yet complete, and had the flashy action I crave. I still hold Blake's trailer as one of my favorite short animations to this day.

And then episode one came out, and I wasn't fond of it. I had been watching enough anime set in magic high schools as of that time, and the characters in that first episode didn't... they didn't pop the way the ones in the trailer did, I guess. It was setting up for the story, but there wasn't really that big hook you need to get people into a story. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and waited for the second episode. My opinion didn't improve. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and waited for the third episode. My opinion didn't improve. At this point I had given three weeks of my life to something I didn't care much for, and my philosophy on life is that if you have to wait for it to get good, it isn't worth waiting for. So I dropped it.

So, that means that my fondest memories of RWBY, when I was the most hype for that show was those four first trailers - six minute fight scenes released, with minimal to no outside context, yet in all but the Ruby trailer, they still managed to tell a story. That's what I loved. And so, if that was the RWBY I loved, it's why I would want RWBY to be like that, so that I can love it again.

Music's still pretty good, in that dumb fun buttrock way, I will say though.

Lyte

I don't even know where to start with this.

I personally follow the show because I enjoy the characters, I enjoy how they work off of eachother, I enjoy the world building, and I enjoy the story. Are there problems, yes, of course, but I don't think it's anywhere close to as many as the hundreds of Rwby Debunkers and the vehemence hatetrain would have you believe.

And if you don't like it. Stop watching it so that the people who do like watching it can keep watching it instead of trying to change it and ruin it for them because you think you're right. You have an opinion. Plenty of people including myself think the show is excellent.

And honestly this is getting super spoilery so maybe stop? I know Zombie hasn't seen the show and I want to have him try it with an open mind.

As for your arguments I have heard them all so so so so many times from a hundred different people and they still make no sense.

About Adam, I really don't understand why people say they turned him into less of a threat, he literally murders the former leader of the white fang and sent assassins after Blake's family that nearly kill them. Yeah he doesn't one shot people like he used to but that's because they know what his semblance actually does now and they know how to work around it as seen in the Volume 6 fight, that's Character Growth. He didn't suddenly not become a threat, he's still as much threat as he was in Volume 3, they've just had three seasons to prepare for the rematch.

Ruby is a deep character with a lot of underlying pain that creeps up. She keeps her bright and happy demeanor up for the sake of her team and because she's the leader. But you can see throughout the entire series that there are many instances where that sadness breaks through her happy exterior, where she loses face for just a moment. The best example of this was in Volume 5, yes, the worst season according to critics, during her one on one chat with Oscar.
Oscar shouldn't even be a character. Jaune should have been in his place considering the dynamic he and Oz have. Such wasted potential there...

As for Adam, he reminds me too much of Viktor to ever consider him a good villain. We see he his capable of charisma, but is too much of an angry boy to use it. I heard the idea floated around that Adam should have filled Ilia's place and been allowed to be written to have a redemption arc. I'd have liked it. Adam's failure as a character is zero sense of identity when he is in the larger story. They should have scrapped him being a love interest to Blake and kept him as a mentor, as the romantic dynamic added absolutely zero to their character dynamic and that fight scene between him, Blake and Yang gets zero praise from me considering it is butchered material from Monty that SHOULD have been in volume 3.

ShadowHounder

Oscar shouldn't even be a character. Jaune should have been in his place considering the dynamic he and Oz have. Such wasted potential there...

As for Adam, he reminds me too much of Viktor to ever consider him a good villain. We see he his capable of charisma, but is too much of an angry boy to use it. I heard the idea floated around that Adam should have filled Ilia's place and been allowed to be written to have a redemption arc. I'd have liked it. Adam's failure as a character is zero sense of identity when he is in the larger story. They should have scrapped him being a love interest to Blake and kept him as a mentor, as the romantic dynamic added absolutely zero to their character dynamic and that fight scene between him, Blake and Yang gets zero praise from me considering it is butchered material from Monty that SHOULD have been in volume 3.
Well... Monty passed away before they could finish Volume 3 so... Can't really blame him for that part :/

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I give up... Clearly you're not going to listen to what I'm saying or budge on this.

Honestly it's a shame.

ShadowHounder

I give up... Clearly you're not going to listen to what I'm saying or budge on this.

Honestly it's a shame.
I can kind of agree that rwby lost some of it's charm after Monty died... But it was still a great show with a great legacy that I'm happy Rooster Teeth is choosing to continue. On the topic of Vic... I don't think RT had much of a choice: Kick Vic and hope he can fix the problem or keep him and let the controversy destroy your company's reputation. It was a less risky play to just fire him and potentially give him the job back after the lawsuit. Sorry for playing devil's advocate... Just wanting to help shed some light on the business end of things and why they felt they had to do what they did. I'm still #SaveVic

DarkGemini24601

Honestly it's a shame.
I don't expect you to see this, but I think you're projecting a little and making assumptions. I never said RWBY was outright bad or that I hated it, but you decided I was because you dislike arguments similar to mine. All I was doing was analyzing something I like, and you've made it out to be a 'Marine and I are being stubborn haters' sort of thing. You keep saying 'I don't understand' but act like we're the ones without arguments. I don't think you're being intentionally disingenuous, but you're jumping to the conclusion that our goal is to rag on something rather than to just...

Have a fun discussion about something we share a mutual interest in. I don't think my statements have been charged in any way, I've just been doing this as an intellectual exercise, but if you can't see that then the topic's not worth pursuing any further.

DarkGemini24601

It's odd too because I didn't want to change your opinion--opinions rarely are flexible--I just wanted to explain our thinking since it wasn't clear enough.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I don't expect you to see this, but I think you're projecting a little and making assumptions. I never said RWBY was outright bad or that I hated it, but you decided I was because you dislike arguments similar to mine. All I was doing was analyzing something I like, and you've made it out to be a 'Marine and I are being stubborn haters' sort of thing. You keep saying 'I don't understand' but act like we're the ones without arguments. I don't think you're being intentionally disingenuous, but you're jumping to the conclusion that our goal is to rag on something rather than to just...

Have a fun discussion about something we share a mutual interest in. I don't think my statements have been charged in any way, I've just been doing this as an intellectual exercise, but if you can't see that then the topic's not worth pursuing any further.

It hardly feels like one when you ignore my entire side of the conversation.

ShadowHounder

??????

How am I... What?

I don't understand how I'm being malicious in any way. I disagree with you. We were having a conversation. But you weren't really arguing against my points.
Because we weren't trying to argue against anything? Not really sure how a simple discussion over a fun show turned into such a pointless arguement... Especially when Gem said he had no intentions to argue. The hypocrisy comes from the fact that you claimed that Gem and Marine weren't listening to your half of the story... While quoting a post where Gem explains that you aren't listening to what he is trying to explain so you can just call them haters :/

BMPixy

I really feel like this conversation got away from me at some point and I have no idea what it's about anymore. :p

Well then, perfect time for me to hijack this conversation towards something else entirely. Lessee... comparisons of Youjo Senki to the Book of Job? Nah, that needs some proper longform analysis ill-suited for forum posts. Toronto Raptors winning the NBA Championship? Don't think anyone here is too sportsball minded though... Granblue Fantasy's new Code Geass event? Wait, no, I can't reveal that I play gacha games, or that I have no idea what Code Geass is even about.

So, uh, how about that local weather then?

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Because we weren't trying to argue against anything? Not really sure how a simple discussion over a fun show turned into such a pointless arguement... Especially when Gem said he had no intentions to argue. The hypocrisy comes from the fact that you claimed that Gem and Marine weren't listening to your half of the story... While quoting a post where Gem explains that you aren't listening to what he is trying to explain so you can just call them haters :/

But I wasn't calling anyone a hater! I just said I've heard the argument before. There are haters sure but I wasn't trying to imply he was one of them.

Okay. I think we just both seriously misunderstood eachother. No harm done.

ShadowHounder

But I wasn't calling anyone a hater! I just said I've heard the argument before. There are haters sure but I wasn't trying to imply he was one of them.

Okay. I think we just both seriously misunderstood eachother. No harm done.
Eh... Mistakes happen... No need to let a pointless arguement end friendships XD

Black0ut

I sayeth, as the silent man who rarely talks (wow, marine, we're talking again... what weird feeling) No more RWBY discussions cause it's becoming very negative. Love you all tho.

Now, Imma go and be happy with Three Kingdoms. That's pretty dope.