Starstream Think Tank

Taxor_the_First

@ShadowHounder you might want to run an edit pass over your collab with gem, a couple of paragraphs from midway through part two somehow made it to the end of part one. I had a moment of deja vu before going "wait no I seriously have seen this line before".

ShadowHounder

@ShadowHounder you might want to run an edit pass over your collab with gem, a couple of paragraphs from midway through part two somehow made it to the end of part one. I had a moment of deja vu before going "wait no I seriously have seen this line before".
I just copypastad what Gem sent me... If anything it's my slightly repetitive writing.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Okay. I do not usually like bringing politics or sensitive subjects up on the site because I don't want to start fights, but this is horrible. Truly sickening if it's indeed true.

"New proposal could allow homeless shelters to deny entry to transgender people

The proposal by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) would weaken an Obama-era protection which ensures transgender people equal access to homeless shelters. It comes only a day after HUD's Senator Ben Carson told Congress he was "not currently anticipating changing the rule.""

Not only are Trans people more likely to get kicked out of their homes, but they're more likely to be physically or sexually harassed and assaulted.

Here's what data from the National Center for Transgender equality says.

"1 in 3 trans people have been homeless in their lives

70% of trans people who have used a shelter have experienced harassment."

This could even lead to Transexual people (People who have medically changed Sex) to be forced to bunk with their birth sex. This is... Truly despicable to me, I know there's probably not much we can do but we could raise awareness at the very least.

Everybody deserves to have a place to sleep at night, I'd like to believe that isn't a political viewpoint regardless of which way someone leans. People are people. End of story. And no one deserves to sleep in the cold. Everyone deserves a chance to get back on their feet.

ShadowHounder

Okay. I do not usually like bringing politics or sensitive subjects up on the site because I don't want to start fights, but this is horrible. Truly sickening if it's indeed true.

The proposal by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) would weaken an Obama-era protection which ensures transgender people equal access to homeless shelters. It comes only a day after HUD's Senator Ben Carson told Congress he was "not currently anticipating changing the rule.""

Not only are Trans people more likely to get kicked out of their homes, but they're more likely to be physically or sexually harassed and assaulted.

This could even lead to Transexual people (People who have medically changed Sex) to be forced to bunk with their birth sex. This is... Truly despicable to me, I know there's probably not much we can do but we could raise awareness at the very least.

Everybody deserves to have a place to sleep at night, I'd like to believe that isn't a political viewpoint regardless of which way someone leans. People are people. End of story. And no one deserves to sleep in the cold. Everyone deserves a chance to get back on their feet.
I didn't know Texas could still make bills for the nation XD

Lyte

If you're homeless and you are refusing to sleep in a bed because you are being told where to sleep, you get zero sympathy. Beggars cannot be chosers.

There's also a reason for this. A lot of shelters are gender specific. Now there is a simple solution. If you going to a womens shelter, are you a woman, I.E. have you undergone a full rehabilitation to transition into a woman. No? Well sorry, you go to the mens shelter. I hate this, "Oh I am transitioning now." Argument. I am sorry, but if I rent an apartment and my landlord asks me for my rent and I say, "Oh I am just in the middle of getting it," Then I have missed rent. You don't get to half ass something and then claim persecution.

“The federal government doesn’t need to be the bathroom police.”

HUD said the change is needed because the Equal Access Rule under the Obama administration “leaves no room for shelter providers to make decisions about potentially dangerous individuals who may misrepresent their gender to access gender-specific shelters.”

Further, HUD’s current rule does not consider the practical concerns of shelter providers who serve vulnerable clientele in difficult conditions, including those seeking refuge from abusive relationships or domestic violence,

It's not about discrimination, its about protection. These people have an important job to do and trans people wanting to be catered to when seeking help is not their job. If a trans person wants to complain about how a shelter treats them, they can find another shelter who panders to them.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

If you're homeless and you are refusing to sleep in a bed because you are being told where to sleep, you get zero sympathy. Beggars cannot be chosers.

There's also a reason for this. A lot of shelters are gender specific. Now there is a simple solution. If you going to a womens shelter, are you a woman, I.E. have you undergone a full rehabilitation to transition into a woman. No? Well sorry, you go to the mens shelter. I hate this, "Oh I am transitioning now." Argument. I am sorry, but if I rent an apartment and my landlord asks me for my rent and I say, "Oh I am just in the middle of getting it," Then I have missed rent. You don't get to half ass something and then claim persecution.

“The federal government doesn’t need to be the bathroom police.”

HUD said the change is needed because the Equal Access Rule under the Obama administration “leaves no room for shelter providers to make decisions about potentially dangerous individuals who may misrepresent their gender to access gender-specific shelters.”

Further, HUD’s current rule does not consider the practical concerns of shelter providers who serve vulnerable clientele in difficult conditions, including those seeking refuge from abusive relationships or domestic violence,

It's not about discrimination, its about protection. These people have an important job to do and trans people wanting to be catered to when seeking help is not their job. If a trans person wants to complain about how a shelter treats them, they can find another shelter who panders to them.

Except you forget to mention that many of these people look like convincing Women. You would be putting someone with long hair, a dress, make-up and nails in with men and vise versa. It's the same as the Bathroom Bill bullshit, pretty much tee for tee, except having a place to sleep is way more of a big deal.

Would you put someone who looks entirely like a Woman, in the Men's room? So they can stand out like a sore thumb? What does that even prevent? It stops nothing.

The argument they tried to make last time was similar, "What if a rapist dressed like a Women to go into the Men's bathroom?"

Well they are already committed to raping someone I don't think a law that tells them which bathroom they can go into is really going to stop them.

Which brings me back to the shelter's argument.

'HUD said the change is needed because the Equal Access Rule under the Obama administration “leaves no room for shelter providers to make decisions about potentially dangerous individuals who may misrepresent their gender to access gender-specific shelters.”'

It's literally the same bullshit argument, if someone is willing to hurt or kill another human being, why would this stop them? If you don't let them in, they can wait outside and attack someone. If you let them in and they try to attack someone, you can call the police. You can't profile people for crimes BEFORE they commit them. It's such a flimsy argument that Marvel proved how stupid in was.

And not only that, Shelter's already have a huge problem with Trans people being Raped and Assaulted because guess what? They look like Women in an all Male Shelter. You focus so much on putting the blame on the Trans people for not accepting a bed when that bed is in a place where they could be potentially Raped and Killed.

ShadowHounder

Except you forget to mention that many of these people look like convincing Women. You would be putting someone with long hair, a dress, make-up and nails in with men and vise versa. It's the same as the Bathroom Bill bullshit, pretty much tee for tee, except having a place to sleep is way more of a big deal.

Would you put someone who looks entirely like a Woman, in the Men's room? So they can stand out like a sore thumb? What does that even prevent? It stops nothing.

The argument they tried to make last time was similar, "What if a rapist dressed like a Women to go into the Men's bathroom?"

Well they are already committed to raping someone I don't think a law that tells them which bathroom they can go into is really going to stop them.

Which brings me back to the shelter's argument.

'HUD said the change is needed because the Equal Access Rule under the Obama administration “leaves no room for shelter providers to make decisions about potentially dangerous individuals who may misrepresent their gender to access gender-specific shelters.”'

It's literally the same bullshit argument, if someone is willing to hurt or kill another human being, why would this stop them? If you don't let them in, they can wait outside and attack someone. If you let them in and they try to attack someone, you can call the police. You can't profile people for crimes BEFORE they commit them. It's such a flimsy argument that Marvel proved how stupid in was.

And not only that, Shelter's already have a huge problem with Trans people being Raped and Assaulted because guess what? They look like Women in an all Male Shelter. You focus so much on putting the blame on the Trans people for not accepting a bed when that bed is in a place where they could be potentially Raped and Killed.
I think Marine has a point. Outside of proper transitional surgery... You can't know for sure (not even when wearing a dress since drag exists). Besides... It's a legal right to choose, not a legal requirement to deny. You're treating this like every shelter in existence will say no. That is not the case. Hell, there are Trans specific shelters in the states... I don't see the problem here

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I think Marine has a point. Outside of proper transitional surgery... You can't know for sure (not even when wearing a dress since drag exists). Besides... It's a legal right to choose, not a legal requirement to deny. You're treating this like every shelter in existence will say no. That is not the case. Hell, there are Trans specific shelters in the states... I don't see the problem here

The problem is Thirty percent of them already admitted they wouldn't accept Trans people and another 20 were unsure. Then take into the fact that if you don't live in a city and even if you do you might have two options for a Homeless Shelter.

To put that into perspective, there is two homeless shelters in walking distance from my house, one for Winter and one for Summer. That's it. If even one decided not to take you wouldn't have a place to sleep for months.

And if you live in Texas or any other heavily Red or Religious state, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Shelters who don't want Trans people would be the majority. And since most people only have the aforementioned two shelters around them, if both of them decide not to take them in that person is sleeping on the street tonight.

BMPixy

Oh hey what a perfect time for me to distract from everything by talking about a content creator I like.

So recently I ran into a channel on YouTube by the name of SB Nation. Now, normally I'm not into sports, so the channel's normal content isn't much for me, but what I am into is weird and uncommon knowledge presented in a fashion like any other, which is why I clicked on this video - title the Bob Emergency, part of a series called Chart Party. It's two 45 minute videos all about athletes named Bob, and they are just fantastic. Here's links to the first one and the second one.

Now, if I had known they were made by Jon Bois, producer of the wonderful web novella-thing 17776 (which in itself is fantastic and I recommend you read), I would have been on this way sooner, but as it is, I'm glad I discovered him now; and as such, I've been binging his content like no tomorrow. He has a certain manner of presentation, a way of talking, a method of production, that is just completely unique and I can't find anywhere else. A feature of his videos are often long slow pans over columns of statistics presented with smooth jazz music, which produces an unearthly feel.

He also has a boundless creativity when it comes to presentation. Take his video from the series Pretty Good, titled "222-0" (link here), where he uses tiny plastic figurines of football players in stop-motion animation, and creates something almost akin to... horror? Whatever it is, it definitely induces pathos.

Even on the series where he isn't the sole creator, his mark shines through like nothing I've ever seen. Take the series Fighting in the Age of Loneliness (playlist link here), which is about the history of MMA, for example. Even though the series was written and voiced by Felix Biederman, it still feels like a Jon Bois work, from the lengthy asides, the cool analysis of how things fit into a larger picture, and, of course, that signature stark presentation.

All in all, I give a hearty recommend to anything with his name on it - even Dorktown, while not true Bois work, still bears a seal of approval.

ShadowHounder

The problem is Thirty percent of them already admitted they wouldn't accept Trans people and another 20 were unsure. Then take into the fact that if you don't live in a city and even if you do you might have two options for a Homeless Shelter.

To put that into perspective, there is two homeless shelters in walking distance from my house, one for Winter and one for Summer. That's it. If even one decided not to take you wouldn't have a place to sleep for months.

And if you live in Texas or any other heavily Red or Religious state, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Shelters who don't want Trans people would be the majority. And since most people only have the aforementioned two shelters around them, if both of them decide not to take them in that person is sleeping on the street tonight.
You do realize that shelters are almost always year round right?

DarkGemini24601

Oh hey what a perfect time for me to distract from everything by talking about a content creator I like.

So recently I ran into a channel on YouTube by the name of SB Nation. Now, normally I'm not into sports, so the channel's normal content isn't much for me, but what I am into is weird and uncommon knowledge presented in a fashion like any other, which is why I clicked on this video - title the Bob Emergency, part of a series called Chart Party. It's two 45 minute videos all about athletes named Bob, and they are just fantastic. Here's links to the first one and the second one.

Now, if I had known they were made by Jon Bois, producer of the wonderful web novella-thing 17776 (which in itself is fantastic and I recommend you read), I would have been on this way sooner, but as it is, I'm glad I discovered him now; and as such, I've been binging his content like no tomorrow. He has a certain manner of presentation, a way of talking, a method of production, that is just completely unique and I can't find anywhere else. A feature of his videos are often long slow pans over columns of statistics presented with smooth jazz music, which produces an unearthly feel.

He also has a boundless creativity when it comes to presentation. Take his video from the series Pretty Good, titled "222-0" (link here), where he uses tiny plastic figurines of football players in stop-motion animation, and creates something almost akin to... horror? Whatever it is, it definitely induces pathos.

Even on the series where he isn't the sole creator, his mark shines through like nothing I've ever seen. Take the series Fighting in the Age of Loneliness (playlist link here), which is about the history of MMA, for example. Even though the series was written and voiced by Felix Biederman, it still feels like a Jon Bois work, from the lengthy asides, the cool analysis of how things fit into a larger picture, and, of course, that signature stark presentation.

All in all, I give a hearty recommend to anything with his name on it - even Dorktown, while not true Bois work, still bears a seal of approval.
This sounds avant-garde in a way that might actually be fascinating as opposed to weird for weirdness’s sake .

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
From what I read I think it is best to drop the subject. You both have good points. I don't think people who are trans should be discriminated against but I understand that there are certain concerns. If the law is passed, though, I don't see why there can't be special conditions that do cater to trans individuals. It is hard to say what my belief is fully. I'm sorry I can't fully take one side or another. Though I do agree strongly that no one should have to sleep on the streets because of their sexuality.