Starstream Think Tank

ShadowHounder

Long story short: Dahl is an orc, fantasy is not real life, sometimes generic baddies are good to have, Marine is a Tiefling who like fucking with orcs, Black is envious of all of us for various talents (and one I don't have), and worldbuilding can indeed be taken too far.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Long story short: Dahl is an orc, fantasy is not real life, sometimes generic baddies are good to have, Marine is a Tiefling who like fucking with orcs, Black is envious of all of us for various talents (and one I don't have), and worldbuilding can indeee be taken too far.

Except no. No one proved anything. Generic Baddies are ultimately forgettable padding and have little place in cohesive and tightly written story. And no. The Farther you take your Worldbuilding the more people can actually be invested in your world.

Would you honestly rather crave more Worldbuilding and get less?

Or would you rather have a lot of Worldbuilding and simply choose what you want to learn about?

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Except no. No one proved anything. Generic Baddies are ultimately forgettable padding and have little place in cohesive and tightly written story. And no. The Farther you take your Worldbuilding the more people can actually be invested in your world.

Or would you rather have a lot of Worldbuilding and simply choose what you want to learn about?

Like. Just because I stopped talking doesn't mean you won the discussion. I just realized that I probably wasn't going to really convince any of you.

ShadowHounder

I would rather focus on the characters and let their interactions and knowledge build the world for me... plus, there is no winning or losing... just you being the only person out of everyone who actually has that ideal

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

I would rather focus on the characters and let their interactions and knowledge build the world for me... plus, there is no winning or losing... just you being the only person out of everyone who actually has that ideal

Most people took a middle of the road stance I thought. At least that's how I saw it, but fair enough.

ShadowHounder

Most people took a middle of the road stance I thought. At least that's how I saw it, but fair enough.
most of what I remember reading focused more on the idea of only needing to explain what you need to explain and that it's perfectly fine to have a nameless army... plus someone explaining how Tolkien's orc actually had worldbuilding, it was just cut from the movies

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Armies don't just exist to exist though. It's just lazy. It's just so disappointing for me personally to see so much potential for story and lore wasted by using 1 dimensional brainless mooks.