RP XCOM2: Liberation of Earth

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and Frostlich1228: “Procrastinated Pardoning, Part 1”

Southwest of the Shanty City La Paz
1840 Hours, January 20th, 2039
Onboard the X.S.S. Avenger
Floor 2, Central Block
The Holography Hub

Tomislav crackled his armored knuckles, looking over his opponent with a look that could not have been more skeptical. “You realize this isn’t remotely fair, right?” the exosuit-clad Harrier questioned the woman that had called him in to spar.

“If I weren’t me it wouldn’t be fair,” Yakone responded cryptically. The Ranger was wearing her typical attire instead of her Justice Regalia. Black jeans, a white shirt, and her signature navy blue plaid jacket was hardly equivalent to power armor, and the Inuit-Caucasian elaborated on why she’d chosen the seemingly-uneven sets of gear. “You don’t have psionics, so if we were to spar with the both of us unarmored it wouldn’t be much of a match. Samuel found that out the hard way.”

“As you’ve mentioned before,” Tomislav interrupted with a chuckle.

“What? It’s a funny story,” Yakone growled in reply.

“I have a feeling you’re going to draw his ire at some point for spreading the story like wildfire,” Tom responded with an amused glint in his eyes. “I see your point, anyway. Let’s do this.”

Yakone needed no further prompting. “Seshat, begin simulation Y.V.I. Thirteen, entitled ‘Acrobatics Crag’.”

Tomislav raised an eyebrow as the walls glowed and hardlight began putting together the terrain. “What is…”

“You’ll see.” A moment later, the pair were placed onto opposite sides of a canyon. There were various rock rises on either side, and a few ledges below the main two plateaus on either side of the deep valley’s sheer cliffs. A perfect environment for Yakone, who lifted a simulated PDW and began blasting away at her opponent.

“How is this f-oh, oh I see,” Tomislav quickly realized with a grin. He ran to the side with swift, mechanized footfalls, and then activated his jet-boots. With a tremendous whoosh, he shot up into the air, following along a short arc before landing with a thud on Yakone’s precipice. The Harrier lifted his arm, holographic plasma-flames spewing at Yakone from the barrel he’d revealed on his wrist.

Yakone was ready for him, however. She coated herself in her Overdrive shell. The current level of defense the improved skill provided was enough to protect Yakone from more than half of the heat, but a good percentage of the damage (had that attack been real) would have still gotten through. Her biokinesis did its best to account for that, while Yakone proved that she too could manage a leap. “Been training with Qamut,” Yakone reported, taking a deep breath and then releasing a pair of psionic abilities at once. Her typical physical enhancement in her legs revealed itself with a blue-green flair, and then a decidedly emerald green explosion of telekinetic force propelled a leaping Yakone even further, allowing her to easily clear the gap and land on the edge of the battlefield away from Tomislav.

Another barrage of simulated plasma ensued from the Ranger’s PDW, and Tomislav’s armor lit up with damage indicators. “Not bad, not bad at all… doesn’t that tire you out though?” the Harrier questioned from his helmet comms to a microphone clipped on Yakone’s shirt.

“Of course it does,” Yakone responded back as Tomislav leapt across the ravine again to run at her with his KSM. “But I-” she began, ducking under the telegraphed strike, using her momentum to get behind Tomislav, and deal an imbued sword strike to his side that would have been a lethal blow if the Harrier’s armor had been damaged and Seshat hadn’t held the sword back. “-prefer to take my opponents out before attrition kicks in.”

Tomislav shook his head in defeat. “Even with this armor, I couldn’t win… you just brought me in here to test out that telekinetic trick, didn’t you?” he accused playfully.

“Maybe I did, maybe I just overestimated your abilities,” Yakone taunted in return, putting away her sword in a sheath on her hip and dismissing her holographic firearm. “Does it really matter which?”

“Don’t you get philosophical on me. I have to deal with Phobos pondering the nature of fear in my head, and that’s enough, thank you very much.”

“It’s an interesting topic!” the A.I.’s voice echoed quietly around Tomislav.

“For you,” the Serbian retorted.

Yakone laughed quietly at the exchange, only shifting her attention when the door dinged - indicating someone was trying to access the room. “Oh, you can open the door Seshat,” she instructed the shipboard synthetic, not bothering to dismiss the simulated terrain for now.

As the door opened, the two roommates - Marx and Cathy - both stepped in. It was clear that Catherine was a little nervous, but thankfully she had her friend to help keep her cool. Said friend looked over the simulated terrain for a moment before speaking. “An interesting location, too bad none of these are real rocks.”

“Well, just step outside and you can find the real deal,” Yakone remarked, glancing over at the newcomer. “Yo, Marx. And the chef too? That’s unusual. Haven’t seen you in… how long?”

She let out a nervous chuckle, “Only a few months or so… I think...”

Yakone’s brow furrowed as she thought back, and recalled their meeting in more detail. “Oh… right…” The young woman rubbed the back of her neck. “You’re not still hung up on that, are you?”

“I, well…” Cathy swallowed, “What I said to you, it was awful. I never wanted to say it, I just... I lost my calm…”

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” Yakone responded with a shake of her head. “I think the fault’s more with me. I shoulda just backed off when I was starting to upset you. I cared more about trying to make you see things my way than keeping things civil. Was just being stubborn.”

“But… but I do worry about it! I’ve been worrying!” Catherine paced. “Right after that was your...capture. I felt so terrible that the last thing you remembered of me was that awful word!”

“You wouldn’t be the first person to call me a bitch. I wasn’t really offended,” Yakone explained with a chuckle. “I just thought you were… uh… getting unusually upset.”

Women… Tomislav thought to himself, keeping himself a safe distance from this particular conservation.

“I spent all this time writing you an apology… you know, for when we got you back… but then….” the Chef rambled, not wanting to say it.

“They turned me into a monster,” Yakone finished for her, not beating around the bush. “You still got me back, just… wasn’t that easy.”

“I felt like… maybe I made it easier for them to do that to you…” The normally bubbly girl huffed. “I know I didn’t make it harder. I felt like I should’ve helped you more and now it was too late.”

Yakone coughed, covering her mouth to suppress a laugh. “S-sorry, don’t mean to be a dick… but that’s silly. I didn’t think about our little spat once when I was a prisoner… wasn’t on my top lists of concerns at the moment. Had a lot going on aside from just boredom.” Yakone ran a hand through her jet-black hair. “Don’t blame yourself for events beyond your control. Just like you didn’t have an effect on my mental fortitude one way or another, I couldn’t have done anything more than I did to resist Patrem’s control. It’s hard to admit it, but that’s how it is.”

Suddenly Cathy sat down, laying back and covering her eyes. “I know it’s dumb… But I felt the same way about my sisters before they left. It brought back bad memories…”

After listening, Marx raised his head up slightly, “She actually gave me the note she wrote for you. I promised I would give it to you the first chance I got. I even carried it with me when we fought Ember, Blukersky, and that Avatar. I knew it was a little silly… but I also knew it meant a lot to her.”

Yakone shook her head, extending an open hand. “Then let me see it. I’ll feel bad now if I don’t.”

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and Frostlich1228: “Procrastinated Pardoning, Part 2”

Marx stepped up to her slowly, pulling the small note out from his pocket. The edges were crinkled, but a big pink heart was still visible on the front. Upon opening, it read as follows.

I’m sorry Yakone! -From Cathy!

Hey. Look I feel really awful after what I said to you, it was all a big mess and I got so frustrated, I swear I never wanted to make you feel bad!

I just got the bad news that you were captured… But if you’re reading this, then that means we must’ve saved you! If that’s what’s going on, then I can’t waste this opportunity to make amends with you.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to ask you to please forgive me. I promise I will be your new best friend if you want me to, I’m sure that will make it better. We could hang out and have sleepovers, you could come and try my cookies! Everyone is taking it rough, and I’ll be honest, so am I…

But all that is better now… It’s a better day… And a good day to make a new friend forever.

-Sincerely, Cathy… Again…

Yakone smiled, stepping forward and lowering herself onto a knee so she could hug Catherine properly. “Thank you, Cathy. All is forgiven on my end, and I hope you can forgive me for how I acted towards you.”

Feeling her heart warm greatly, she returned the hug, “Of course I do. I just hope, from now on at least, I can make you feel better. As a friend?”

“Sure. As a friend,” Yakone affirmed.

Marx gave them a smile, “I’m glad all that went well, that was a long time coming.”

“Sure would seem like it,” Tomislav noted, puffing some smoke out of a cigarette. “Glad to see that’s all worked out, though.”

“So, you two training in here?” The Russian asked, “Doesn’t exactly seem very fair.”

“That’s what I said,” Tomislav echoed. “She still beat me without wearing any armor.”

“Well, now that I’m here, you could train against another psion if you wanted.” Marx offered, cracking his neck. “It might be good practice for Terrash.”

“You need the practice too if you’re gonna keep up with a terrakinetic that strong,” Yakone remarked with a chuckle. “Don’t fall behind now,” she cautioned her fellow Ranger, resetting the simulation to remove the scorch marks from the ground and placed the disturbed stones back in their original places.

“You saw our battle with Rhea. I’m at no risk of falling behind, no more than you at least.” He countered, smirking slightly.

“Hmph.” Yakone reached down, drawing her katana in a fluid motion and then going for an attack at Marx. It appeared head-on and reckless at first, but when it neared him Yakone lowered her posture, turning the vertical strike into a slanted slash.

Marx responded by bringing down one of his machetes on her blade, hoping to either knock it out of her hand or trap it against the ground, leaving Yakone open for an attack with the other one.

Yakone withstood the force of his strike, not by being quite as muscular as the Russian, but instead by utilizing the curvature of her blade to throw off some of the force of the blow to the side. She reached down to her own second sword, bringing it up to bear for a similar parry - though instead of letting the force of Marx’s heavyweight strike be lost, she used this attack to move backwards to get some distance from him. “Not bad, bearsky.”

“Not bad yourself.” The berserker-like ranger said, gripping his blades and stepping forward slowly.

Suddenly rushing forward, he swung one of his machetes horizontally towards her, threatening to hit her in the side. Yakone sent a charge of physical enhancement through the leg on the vulnerable side of her body, thrusting herself away from the attack with a kick against the ground. Following up, she spun half a revolution to build up momentum with her right-hand blade as she got closer again and swung at Marx herself.

Instead of backing up or blocking, Marx quickly stepped up to her just before she completed her spin, hoping to catch her off guard by going for a headbutt with his alloy mask and planning to follow up by bringing both of his blades together for one huge attack. Yakone hadn’t quite been expecting the stride, and her stumble backwards as Marx prepared his final attack prompted Seshat to call the match in his favor.

“Goddammit,” Yakone muttered, irritable more at herself than anything. “You’re pretty damn hard to read… someone who woulda actually felt that wouldn’t have gone for a head bash with zero hesitation,” the Inuit-Caucasian complained, ever the sore loser.

“I would like to remind you that you have your Overdrive,” The ex-farm boy added.

“Would have been smart to have it on beforehand, I suppose…” Yakone conceded. “Didn’t think you were going to do that, though… need to expect the unexpected more than I’ve been expecting it,” she chided herself.
“I can assure you a headbutt would be exactly what a Muton would go for in a fight. Especially a Berserker. Expecting something like that wouldn’t be the worst idea.” He went on, pulling his mask up.

“Fair enough.” Yakone chuckled. “Before I was captured I wouldn’t be taking advice from someone else, but what can I say… I’ve taken a lesson in humility.”

“Someone who was truly humble would never call themselves such,” Tomislav enjoined with a sly smile.

“Shut up, Tom.”

Cathy, who was still sitting over in the corner watching the fight, spoke up again. “You know, I am technically a psion… I don’t exactly want to hurt anyone but… do you think I should practice? Maybe just in case?”

Yakone shook her head. “If the ship ever got shot down again I’d want you to find the nearest cupboard and hide. Leave the fighting to us.”

“Yeah, that’s probably for the best.” The chef admitted, “Still though, I have to wonder if I can get one of those Reflections... “

Marx turned to face his roommate shrugging, “Isn’t your sister a psion? Maybe you should ask her.”

“I’m not sure she’s the best for advice… after last time.” She added, her eyes shifting left to right.

“You met one of your sisters?” Yakone cut in. “When was that? And what happened?”

“She’s with Exalt. And she’s… a little, different, than I remember.” The pig-tailed girl stood up, going to brush dirt off of herself before remembering that it was virtual.

“You wanna elaborate on how exactly?” Yakone sought clarification.

“She’s… curious? She seems really, really into girls now… and kinda vulgar, but that’s nothing new.” The Chef spoke, trying to figure it out herself almost.

“Well, if you guys got separated young then I imagine you probably never found out which way she swung,” Yakone remarked with a shrug. “It can’t be that bad then, right?”

“And I might have accidentally… walked in on her…” Catherine blushed brightly.

“Ooh,” Yakone responded with a nod. “Yeah, that’d be awkward.” She was silent for a moment. “Was it hot though?”

Marx coughed a little bit in surprised, then began to smile as Catherine talked, “She was my sister so… not really…”

“Very true… coulda focused on the other girl though,” Yakone continued with a teasing smirk.

Upon hearing this Marx turned to face Tomislav, “I would keep an eye on her if I was you.”

“Eh?” the Harrier questioned in response.

“She seems... really curious,” he explained neutrally, his previous reservations about homosexual relationships seeming small and stupid after everything that he and the other members of the project had been through since the beginning.

Yakone held up her hands. “Heyheyhey… I’m just messing around.”

“Could have fooled me.” He chuckled, setting his blades down.

Yakone fumed for the moment, and then let it go - not wanting to pursue the issue further and then have to explain her bicuriosity to another set of people. “Your sister sounds like she’d be… interesting to meet, at the very least. Dunno if we’ll run into the rest of Exalt’s troops again, but if we do, I wouldn’t mind seeing what she’s like for myself.”

“Well, you can meet her with me. I have some things I need to speak with her about too.” Catherine smiled, opening the door behind them. “I should probably get back to the kitchen before someone accidentally puts hot sauce in the cookies again.”

“I’m no cook, but that’s a pretty stupid thing to do,” Yakone muttered with a shake of her head. “Alright. I’ll leave you to it. We’ll meet again soon, I’m sure. Until next time.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Fighting Your Inner Demons

A Megacity, stretching far and wide. A familiar one, but not the one Morrigan had recently been in. One she was more familiar with. The one she had spent her teens and earliest adulthood in.

She cautiously walked through the cemetery, eyes peeled for something to jump out at her. Not because she was scared, however, but because she knew someone was lurking nearby. She searched for a grave, and knew where it would be; the center of the graveyard, where she would be surrounded by the most tombstones.

There before her, she read the inscription. 'Morrigan O'Brien'. Slowly, a smile spread across her features, and she laughed. "Come on now. I've seen all your tricks. This one is just pathetic. Wouldn't have worked even if I hadn't known this was a dream before even walking into this cemetery."

"Bold claim," a male voice said behind her. "But I doubt that. Otherwise you would have avoided this place. Don't bother trying to put on a brave..."

"I came here on purpose." Morrigan turned to stare Daniel in the eyes. "Because I knew you would be here. I'm here to tell you it's over. I'm done with this."

Daniel snickered. "It's over she says. You think just because you have a few talks with friends, get buddy-buddy with your CO, and have a roll in the hay with..."

"I don't 'think' anything," Morrigan stated, interrupting him but not losing her composure. "My friends simply made me realize that you have no power on your own. All the power you have, I've given you. And I'm taking it back."

"Taking it back... right." Daniel clapped his hands together, and the world turned black. Behind him, dozens of other Daniels walked forward, all with the same confident grin.

"You go ahead and try to take this so called power back," one of them said.

"And we'll just beat you down," another said.

"And the great thing is... you can't die here!"

"So we can never truly beat you to death. Just keep hitting and hitting an..." This Daniel gasped, and looked down at the sword sticking out of his chest.

He crumpled to the floor as it was yanked out. "Geez, Morrigan," Ayame muttered, flicking her sword to get the blood off of it. "Please tell me this is just him in your imagination, because otherwise I can't see what your ever saw in him."

She walked back towards the rest of Morrigan's friends, the group gazing confidently at the Daniels. "What the hell is this?" one of them asked angrily, only to spontaneously combust.

"We're here to back Morrigan up," Luke stated. "And best part is, this isn't real. So I don't have to hold back!"

Alexis rolled her eyes, but smiled at him all the same. "We're here because Morrigan knows she isn't alone anymore."

"She was afraid she was a monster... or could have been one," Gwen continued.

"But she understands we have all done things we deeply regret," Yakone stated with a knowing tone.

"But it is how we move on from those times that determines who we are. How we act now, not who we were or who we could have been." Atka stood front and center, arms folded, a smile that was confident but also caring. "She doesn't need to fear herself anymore, or be dragged down by guilt. Which means you have to go!"

Atka's icy helixes kicked off the fight, but it wasn't much of a fight. Even as Daniel strained with whatever energy he had left to make more copies of himself, Morrigan's friends showed no fatigue no matter how outnumbered they were. Morrigan watched with amusement as the original Daniel watched with anger. She especially enjoyed watching the couples fighting together like Alexis and Luke or Leon and Yakone. Even Cathy and Artyom were in on the action, the former using kitchen knives like throwing knives and a pair of frying pans like a pair of nunchaku, and the latter firing lasers out of his many robotic eyes.

"You can't do this!" the original Daniel yelled. "If you think you can GAHK!" As he turned, a rather large hand wrapped around his neck and lifted him into the air.

"I believe the young lady said you're not welcome here anymore," Red Hawk stated, squeezing a little tighter. "So why don't you beat it?" With that he slammed Daniel to the ground, and followed that up with a solid fist to the face.

As the others gathered around and Mark lifted his fist away, they all saw something that surprised them. Daniel's face, followed by his whole body, crumbled away like it was made of fragile porcelain. In its place was a very angry looking Morrigan In a custom fit ADVENT uniform. Using their surprise to her advantage, the copy sprang to her feet and rushed the original, pulling out a knife and thrusting forward.

She was stopped by a swift chop to the wrist from someone's hand. Someone that was there and gone in a flash. Said person returned for a moment more to punch the copy in the gut, bringing her to her knees.

"Part of her might have been surprised by this, but Morrigan saw this coming for the most part." The figure finally stopped by Morrigan's side. She was a few inches taller then Morrigan, with a slim but strong figure that fit nicely into what looked like Morrigan's battle armor, explaining the speed at which she moved. She removed her helmet, and long, beautiful blonde hair rolled down to the small of her back. She had a compassionate face, but her emerald green eyes burned with a strong intensity as she glared down at Daniel.

"And who the fuck are you?!" the fake snapped.

"Oh, lil' ol' me?" the newcomer stated coyly, and winked back at Morrigan. "Call me Hope. Don't blame you if you don't recognize me. I've been buried for a while." She crouched down. "And you, Guilt, have gotten waaaay too big for your britches."

Guilt spat to the side, and shook her head. "You really think you can escape your guilt so easily? You'll never get away from me. Not with the things..."

"Blah blah blah..." Hope stood up and swiftly kicked Guilt in the head. "BLAH! And your vengeance will never end, and you shall return when she least expects it, and gosh darn do you hate those blasted turtles. We get it." Behind Hope, Fides rose up, lifting his colossal sword into the air. "When you get back from whatever hole you crawled out of, tell despair Hope is back, and he's next."

With that, Fides slammed his sword down, wiping out Guilt and banishing the dark realm they had been in. Morrigan looked back at the gravestone from earlier. As she had expected, it now read 'Daniel Hunnigan'. "Thanks," she said sincerely to Hope.

"No problem," the positive emotion returned, stepping back. "See you around. Oh, but if I feel like you're losing me again, I'm the one who'll kick you add next time."

Morrigan laughed, and watched Hope zoom away.

Morrigan slowly opened her eyes and lifted her head, looking around the dark room. Brigid's bed was empty, and the woman needed a moment to remind herself that Brigid was sleeping over with Gwen tonight. She tested her head on Mark's bare chest again, listening to the soothing sound of his heart beat. Though she knew she would have to have a difficult talk with Brigid in the morning, for the first time in so long, Morrigan was content, and had no problems drifting back to sleep.

Last edited:

Dahlexpert

The fallowing is a colaberation with Frostlitch 1228 & Dhalexpert
Awkardness

On board the avenger

Gym B

Emile is in the gym doing leg presses, since there is nothing else to do on the ship. Emile also thinks about what he can do to talk to more people.” Ugh thsi is annoying, I talk to Tom about this one time and now it’s on my mind constantly.”

Well it’s a good thing, at least you're willing to talk to others. I mean hell when we met you hated me, now were the best of buddys.

"Well it’s not like I have a choice, I mean you live in my head and see my every thought so I had to befriend you.” Emile groans as he continues with his workout, Emile pushed up the two hundred and fifty pound leg press up and down.”How many does that make?”

Twenty one, yep I think you're good for on legs want to work on your arm next?

“Is someone talking to themselves? Or with an unseen friend?” A long haired woman spoke, smiling as she walked up to them.

Emile looked at the long haired woman and recognized her from his last mission. “Ou it’s you Anna right, sorry i’m just talking to Nut my A.I.” Emile lifted the leg press once more, and locked it into place, when he stood up a pink A.I appeared with holographic wind around her.
Well you definitely have a interesting look about you, kinda giving off an evil witch vibe around you. Hay may partner here would love to talk to you, he finds you quite interesting.

Anna nodded, “I remember you mentioning an AI during the mission, it seemed quite useful.”

“Yea but she’s a giant pain, and having a talkative A,I living inside your head get’s annoying.”

But he loves me, even though he doesn't want to admit it. Though I would love to learn about you lady.

“Well, asyou may remember, I have a similar partner.” Anna stated, “Although, we have closer to the same mindset.”

“I saw you mean that freaky Chrysalide of yours, why do you have monster as a partner. What how did you even get one as a reflection? That is what is isn't it?”

The ‘witch’ squinted her eyes, “She merely called to me, and I answered. Advent’s experimentation tortured us both for months… She was dying and needed my help, now we work together to destroy the Elders.”

“The aliens are as much victims to the Elders as we are, you know.” She explained, crossing her arms. “They were turned into the monsters we now fight.”

“I don’t care what the aliens did to them, or if they torture the rest of them they all deserve to burn including that reflection of yours.”

Nut once again appeared, and stood in the middle of both of them.Alright tough guy, let me take over.Nut turned her attention to Anna.Sorry about him, see when he was a kid the aliens well more specifically ADVENT found their settlement and murdered his family and friends. They also ripped his arm off , he also seen the atrocities that the aliens have done to humans. And he’s seen many settlements fall to the aliens, so he really doesn't care for them. Please don’t be to angry with him.

She nodded slowly, “A… Similar thing happened to my cousin… But that is not the fault of the aliens, they are controlled by Advent and the Elders… They are being used to kill… Forced to.”

Nut put her hand up.Lady you're wasting your time on him, he hates them to his core you can’t change his mind. But instead of you fighting about why not get a drink, i’m sure you two can get along if you wanted to.

Emile looked at his A.I” Do not try and make a date with me Nut, i’m fine.”
Aw come on, you never hang out with girls this could be a good opportunity for you. Miss Anna what do you say can you hang out with my partner?

The Ambusher considered it, before nodding slowly, “Alright. But he is right, this isn’t a date of any kind.”
Well it counts for something, you can thank me later.Nut said to Emile before finishing.

Emile looks at the long haired ambushed, and sighed.”Alright well, looks like I have no choice here. Meet me at the bar then, I need a minute to change.”

Anna shrugged, making her way out the door and towards the bar. As soon as they were out of earshot, however, Korelyive began speaking.Are you sure this is wise? He doesn’t seem too trustful of you and especially me, what do you hope to gain by talking with him?

“I hope to help him understand just a little more.” She replied as she walked, “I doubt I’ll change him in a day, tragedy like that can… Make it hard to see other viewpoints, but If I can at least make him consider…”

As the two reached the bar, Korelyive dissipated.Very well, but do not forget, he seems to exist only in this world. We know little about him.

“Noted.” Anna spoke as she sat down, ordering something not too strong.

Emile entered the bar, now wearing a pair of blue jeans a red shirt. Emile grabs a stool and sits next to Anna, as he grabs a beer.Alright play this cool, it’s not a date but I don’t really talk to woman one on one. Heh if Tom was here he would be laughing his ass off.“ So, why don’t you tell me about yourself where are you from?”

“I’m from Russia, particularly Moscow, though I spent much of childhood past city limits.” She explained as the bartender placed a Long Island Iced tea in front of her.

“Ou really? а ты говоришь по русски (do you speak russian?”) Or do you speak mostly english? Emile questioned the long haired woman.

Dahlexpert

Part 2

“I do… But… “ The psion sighed slowly, “I choose not to… It reminds me of… My childhood… And that time is long passed.”

“Hum, so what happened in your childhood? I mean mine was me constantly training, becoming a traveling bodyguard and overall being a loner. What happened to you, that makes you not want to use your native tongue?”

“Advent… Took me and my father away…” The woman stated, looking down into her drink. “They tortured us for months… Enough to change much about me… And as Advent used mostly english at the blacksite they took me to… I learned it… I haven’t used it in what has felt like ages…”

Emile but his beer down and looked at Anna.” Wait you were in one of those black sites, I saw what takes place in one of those i’m sorry to hear that.”

“Thank you.” Anna took a slow drink, “My father he… Didn’t make it out.”

“Neither did my family,I had a brother and two sisters the youngest was five. When ADVENT attacked my home they killed them all, that’s one of many reasons why I hate them. They see us as cattle to be carved up and throw us away.”

“Korelyive, my reflection. Was the only one left to comfort me, who felt how I did.” She explained, “She hates the Elders for killing her family too… She took the position of a mother, and the other queens, were like sisters to her. She watched them be twisted and driven to kill.”

“Hum well that explains why you trust your reflection, I can’t argue with that. But why do you forgive the aliens? After all they did to you, why do you forgive them?”

“Because they are being hurt just like us.” Anna turned back to face him. “After I met Korelyive, I realized they weren’t to blame, the Elders were. They were using all these races just… Like you would use a gun.”

“Yea a gun that tears down entire settlements, and captures people to do the same thing that happened to them.”

“Can I ask you something? That… Yakone.” The ‘witch’ said in a serious tone, “Who did you think is to blame for what she did as Ember?”

“Emile looked at Anna, “Are you comparing what the aliens did to Yakone, to what the elders are doing to there own soldiers?”

“Yes… They took her, twisted her against everything she ever believed, and sent her to kill her friends.” Anna went on, “The same has happened to all of the other races under the Elders, it’s just been so much longer, so much so that they are barely recognizable. So, do you blame Yakone for what she did as Ember, or the Elders?”

“I blame the Elders, but you trying to convince me of this.” Emile rubbed his head. “I've see what the aliens have done, I have seen what they dead to my fellow man, are you telling me to forget all that and forgive them?!”

“Of course not.” She said, looking into his eyes, “I know exactly what that hatred feels like… I just want you to… Understand.”

Emile growled at the ambusher, Emile rubbed his head and tried to understand what she was saying. “I get what you're saying, but I can’t accept it, I can’t believe that the aliens that killed my family and destroyed so many settlements are the victims. I can’t accept that.”

“You don’t have to. But my plans are to help bring them back, just like all of you brought back Yakone.” Anna continued, “But right now, some of them have tobe put down. At least it’s merciful.”

Merciful, yea right look I want to kill them as quickly as possible. Because I want to get through them quickly.” Emile rubbed his hair.” But you can see it as me giving them a quick death as well, if you want to look at it that way.”

“I do not expect to you change how you feel about them in one day, just think about what I’ve told you… Perhaps someday, you’ll think about this when you are faced with a choice.” The ‘witch’ said after taking another sizable gulp of her tea.

“Hum maybe, but i highly doubt it. Though I have to say even though you were experimented on.” Emile face started to get some red on them. “You still look, pretty in your own way.” Emile took a quick seing of his beer.

Her eyes widened slightly at his comment, “Well, thank you, most people don’t see it like that.”

“Well, I could see why. Your appearance does, give a witch vibe but to me it suites you. I kinda like it makes you stand out.”
Ou my god, you're flirting, is this happening is the real life.Nut said with in Emile said with in Emiles head.
Shut the hell up damn you.

The Russian girl sighed, smiling, “As much as I appreciate your compliment, I’m going to have to stop you there. I can see what you’re trying to do, but I just don’t think it would work out between us.”

“Heh Anna i’m a soldier first and a human second, I truth be told have no idea what i’m doing. I’m new to this kinda thing, I have no idea how this works or what i’m doing. But I’m told women like compliments and honesty, so I think you look nice and pretty.”

“Listen.” Anna said simply, placing a hand on his shoulder, “You have to find someone you work well with. Someone who shares your interests, your beliefs, your dreams… And you’ll know when you find that person. But that person just isn’t me, we are much too different… But I do appreciate the effort.”

Emile shrugged his shoulders. “Like I said i’m new to this whole flirting thing, i’m trying. I never said I liked you or loved you, like I said i’m a soldier my first love is the one I've always known and that is the battlefield. Hell you're more human then I am, but i’m trying to work on my humanity but since you're enjoying my attempt of flirting do you mind if I try something else?”

The woman tilted her head slightly, asking a question but being unsure if she would regret the answer. “And what would that be?”

Emile took a deep breath, and thought about taking one more swing of his beer. But decided not to, Emile stood up walked to Anna side and kissed her cheek. But as he did, Korelyive quickly materialized, forcefully pushing him off of her. Anna, meanwhile, seemed quite surprised as she stood up from her seat.
I believe she said no… Now I suggest you leave…

Emile looked at the Reflection and back at Anna.”Sorry Anna, just wanted to how do i put it. Well I don't know how to put it, guess building courage and since most won't approach you.” Emile rubbed his neck and look at the reflection. “Look sorry I did that, just wanted to leave a parting gift to the woman give her some good I guess, again Anna if you didn't like that sorry.”

“It’s… Fine. I know you said you’re not so used to all of this, but I wanted to let you down lightly.” She said, scratching her neck, “Maybe you’re getting just a little drunk, I don’t know, but I don’t really want that…”

Emile shrugged his shoulders.”It’s fine, honestly i’m surprised I had enough courage to do that. So i’m going to stay here and have some regular drinks, you can leave if you want to or we can keep talk some more. But I do hope we could be friends.”

“I… I think it would be best if I left.” She said, putting her fingers together as she turned toward the door, “Despite all the uh… awkwardness… this was a good talk.”

“Yea I’ll see you around.” As Anna leaves Nut appears in front of Emile.
I am so proud of you right now, you actually took a risk and for the first time in your life you made a move on a girl. I’m so proud.

“Shut up you, my heart is beating faster than it’s ever been but it was worth it.”

Taxor_the_First

Intervention, Part 1
Avenger Bar
5:27 PM

Samuel wasn’t usually one for moping.

Ironically, the note they’d found amidst her belongings, left for exactly this occasion, had just made everyone even more depressed. According to the note, they had exactly one week to mourn, then they had to ‘get back into kicking-ass gear’. Trust Holly to insist that nobody feel down about the whole thing.

Samuel wasn’t usually one for drinking, either.

Yet as he took the last mouthful of his beer in, a sort of dull warm finished spreading through his body. Yes, he was drunk now. No doubt about it. A recent epiphany regarding the nature of ‘drinking to forget your sorrows’ had proven correct. This was the reason it was done. If he couldn’t think clearly, he couldn’t focus. Which meant any thought about bad things was soon abandoned.

The Russian went for another swig, before realizing he’d just finished it. “God fucking - bartender!” He frowned when said bartender ignored him. “Where’s Firebrand when you fucking need her… Oi! Buddy!”

The bartender did not stop scrubbing the glass he was cleaning. “I’m not your buddy, pal.”

“Yeah, well, I’m not your pal, asshole. I’m your customer. And as your customer, I’m requesting another product. Basic capitalisism. Ism. Fuck, you know what I meant.”

“You’re not paying me for these,” the bartender noted.

Samuel waved a hand. “Whatever. Just gimme another beer.”

“You’ve had enough.”

“Fuck off I have. Another.”

A hand clasped his shoulder. “Samuel, stop harassing the poor bartender,” Lester said disdainfully. “Come on, you look tired.”

The Russian grumbled. “Fuck off.”

“Fuck off…?”

A sigh. “Fuck off sir.”

“No.” With a grunt, Lester hooked one arm underneath Samuel’s shoulder, lifting him off his seat. “What is this nonsense? Are you incapable of supporting your own weight at this hour? How many have you had?”

Nemesis stumbled a bit. “Not enough,” he murmured.

“Only if you quantify ‘not enough’ as ‘I’m not passed out yet’,” was the retort. “Come on. I’m taking you back to the room. And it would be very much appreciated if I wasn’t carrying a dead weight.”

Bad choice of words. Samuel took a moment to obtain his footing, but when he had he kept it all the way back to the squad’s room. If it could be called that any longer, anyway. Bonnie had retreated to one of the remaining empty rooms for the previous few nights, preferring solitude to a particular empty bunk. Alan had gone with her, essentially volunteering himself as her supporter for the duration of this period of mourning. Any quips made at his expense regarding the rekindling of their rumored old flame died in the jokers’ throats. In reality, Holly would have been the first one to pipe up. That was precisely the problem.

Lester watched the Russian to make sure he didn’t damage anything as he sat on his bunk. “You know Arthur doesn’t like you doing this,” the Specialist pointed out.

“Arthur can get stuffed.”

A moment of silence. “... look, I know you’re not in an excellent mood right now, but that’s no reason to start lashing out at everyone else.”

“Not like I’m the only one. What about last night? Samara tore you a verbal new one.” Samuel wiped a hand over his face groggily. “Besides which, you’re just pissing me off even more right now.”

“What?” Lester asked, his expression indignant. “Why?”

The Russian chuckled, and began shaking his head. “For starters, when did you start wearing a scarf?”

Advocate touched the item of cloth wrapped around his neck. “... when it got cold?” he answered, confused. “Isn’t that when one usually puts on a scarf?”

“Not like that they don’t. You’ve got the damn thing on completely wrong.” With a sigh, Samuel stood. “Come on. Give me a look, I’ll fix it up.”

The Specialist shied away. “Nono, no, thank you, I’m fine with it as it is.”

To his surprise, the Russian merely started chuckling. “This is cute,” he muttered. “Don’t be such a baby. If warmth is what you want, then I can get you more of it if you’d just let me-”

“I’m fine!” Lester insisted.

Samuel glared at him. “Alright, cut the crap,” he said. “What are you hiding?”

“Hiding?!”

“First of all it’s bloody warm in the Avenger, there’s no reason to be wearing that ridiculous thing. Second of all it’s clear you’ve never worn one of those in your life. Third -” He didn’t finish, instead leaping forward and grabbing the offending material. The Specialist was far too shocked by the move to put up an effective defense, and thus Samuel was able to unwrap the scarf with ease. And he found what he was looking for - at the base of Lester’s neck were two small holes, spaced a little from each other.

The Russian swore, and tossed the scarf back to its owner. “Fucking knew it,” he muttered darkly, turning away. “I knew it. I knew this would happen. I fucking, fucking knew it.”

Lester rubbed the injury awkwardly. “And what would you have done in my position?” he said, defensive. “Whatever you might think of me, I’m not exactly a ladies magnet. Never have been, doubt I ever will be. Female comfort is not exactly easy for me to come by, unlike someone like you. And after what happened to Holly, I was in need to some kind of human comfort, the likes of which have been sorely lacking from anyone else!”

Samuel didn’t respond, still muttering obscenities to himself.

“A-and it wasn’t like I did it to spite you or anything,” the Specialist continued. “I wouldn’t undermine what little friendship we have like that-”

“What the hell are you yabbering about?” the Aerotrooper asked, turning back to him.

“... the fact that I had sex with your ex girlfriend?”

Nemesis stared at him blankly. “You think I give a shit about that?” he asked finally. “Have you even looked in the mirror?”

“What? No, why?”

“She bit you!”

“I noticed when I felt a sharp pain at the base of my neck. I assume it’s bruising quite nicely-”

“No!” Consideration. “Well, a little, but that’s not the point. Did you not notice she drew blood?”

“We were in basically pitch black at the time!” Something seemed to click in Lester’s head. “Wait, she did what?”

Samuel shook his head. “Look, don’t worry about it. You’ll be fine.” Even in his somewhat-drunken state, the Russian was clearly trying to calm him. “... I have to go talk to her. I can’t let this go.”

Lester paled. “You… you’re not in the right frame of mind to do anything of the sort-”

“I’m not going to attack her Lester, for fucks sake. What do you take me for?” With a sigh, Samuel composed himself. “Right. It’s about… quarter to six. She should still be working.”

The Specialist stopped him at the door. “So… we’re still…?”

Nemesis glanced back at him, his expression unreadable. “You know, Stacie keeps saying that even after all the times it looked like I wasn’t being faithful, she never blamed me. It was always Chloe who drew that ire.” He smirked. “I guess I understand that feeling now. You’re clear, Lesty. It’s not you I’m disappointed in. It’s her.” With that he departed, leaving the Specialist alone.

Taxor_the_First

Intervention, Part 2

“Then why don’t you just send people in around the North?” Chloe suggested, crossing one leg over the other. “The Spartans are in the area. Three hundred able-bodied soldiers. Throw them in.”

Over the communications line, ‘Major’ Cyrus Rothchild sighed. “They’re laying low right now,” he explained.

“For what?”

“They just hit a Protectorate convoy.”

“And they’re still hitting convoys… why, exactly?”

Rothchild shifted. “Look, I don’t like it either,” he admitted. “I think they’re getting a little too into the whole raiding thing when we’re meant to be fighting a war now.”

Chloe frowned. “Direct order from me, then. Tell them to get off their asses and actually contribute, or they can expect to be cut off from the network.” She shook her head. “Sacre bleu, they’re meant to be soldiers, not bandits. If I find out that was a Genesis convoy they hit-”

The door slammed open, admitting one very irritated and (from the smell of his breath) likely very drunk Russian. “What the hell were you thinking?” he demanded, glaring at the Overseer.

She didn’t respond at first. “Cyrus, I’m gonna have to call you back,” she said at last, ending the call before the other could respond. “Could you not?”

“Not what?”

“Come barging in here and interrupting my business? I have a job to do, and you undermining my professionalism isn’t helping me get it done.”

Samuel blinked. “Seems to me like you’re doing a pretty good job of that yourself,” he said at last, closing the door behind him and taking a few steps further into the Overseer’s ‘office’. It was a small room, not far from the Intelligence sector, outfitted with all manner of machinery, charts, and sheets of paper. Right now, the woman that occupied it looked in control, though there were already cracks in that facade. “Oh come on. Don’t make me spell this out for you, you know damn well what I’m talking about.”

Chloe folded her arms. “I’m afraid I don’t,” she said, her tone hostile. “I don’t know what slight your alcohol-muddled mind has concocted, but I-”

“I was fine with you sleeping with my friends,” the Russian interrupted. “Didn’t see it as worth my time to harass you over. Besides which, it was for a good cause I thought. Stop you getting into trouble.” He paused. “But then you had to bite him.”

The French vampire held her defiant expression for maybe another three seconds before sighing wearily, and taking on a more dejected face. “I just… I couldn’t resist any longer,” she admitted. “In my defense, I did warn you I’d-”

“Fuck that, a murderer who warns the world he’s going to strike again is still a monster.” Samuel shook his head. “I’m not going to say it should be easy for you, because I know that’s horseshit. But you just can’t be indulging. You said it yourself, you have an image to maintain.”

“You don’t understand!” Chloe shouted, suddenly angry. “Don’t claim to know how hard it is for me to maintain my humanity, because I know far better than you ever could. The closest you could come would be to starve yourself for weeks, eat a feast, and then starve yourself again with food in plain sight and ripe for the taking.”

“Ripe for the taking? What, are we fruit to you now?”

A flash of realization crossed the Overseer’s face. “I… no, that’s not what I-”

Samuel thumped the wall with a clenched fist, the shock of the impact running up his arm and causing it to tingle fiercely. “That is what you meant,” he corrected. “And that is exactly, exactly, the kind of talk I’d expect to hear from an Elder. That’s the kind of talk we’re fighting a war against right now. We are not cattle for you to consume at your leisure!”

“I didn’t-”

“You did!” the Russian snapped. “As soon as you likened your predicament to that of a starving man, you called us all food. And what does one do to food? You eat it. Destroy it and become stronger for it.”

Chloe ceased trying to defend herself, instead looking away and grabbing one arm with the other.

“I don’t care if that’s an unconscious mindset, it has to go now. Fuck the war, fuck everything else, for your own humanity it has to go.” Samuel folded his arms. “Do you want to become a monster?”

“... no.”

“Then stop giving in to that.”

“It’s not as simple as that-”

“You’re in denial,” Nemesis pointed out. Briefly, a similar sentiment from Azrael stuck in his head, but he dismissed it. “This is the situation you’re looking at - you give in to your addiction, you feed on those not strong enough to push you away, and you become the kind of being that’s ruled over this planet for twenty years. Or, you put a stop to this now, and you maintain your humanity, your image, and help us win this war.”

The Overseer was silent, her expression hidden beneath a bowed head.

Samuel sighed. “XCOM is rather open-minded,” he stated. “But the rest of the Resistance is another story. They find out what you are, and you can kiss any authority you have goodbye. That’s all the more likely if someone raises a stink, which is all the more likely the more you indulge.”

A sniff. “I know.”

“And they’ve been patient enough with you as is. Do you know how many people in the Resistance are in it for the fun of it rather than any kind of vision for a liberated Earth? I don’t either, but I’d expect it’d be a damn large number.” I might even be one of them. Shaking his head, he continued. “I don’t think people like that think highly of someone that’s repeatedly been branded ‘slut’. Personal respect for you aside, I’m impressed you’ve still got a following with your reputation.”

“I know.”

“Plus, the Commander’s been patient with you so far. I doubt that patience would stay much longer if she knew you were feeding on her soldiers.”

“I know.”

“So they both need to stop if you want to keep being Overseer.” Chloe’s head shot up, her eyes already brimming with tears. Samuel swallowed his instinctive caring response. “The blood drinking, the sleeping around, they both have to end. One more than the other, yes, but the crux of the matter is both.”

“You… you want me to cut off my only relief from that craving?” the Overseer demanded. “You’re asking an impossible task!”

“No I’m not. I said you have to stop sleeping around, I didn’t say you had to be fucking celibate.” A sigh. “Find a guy. Or girl. Fuck, I don’t care. Someone. Anyone. Stick with them. It’s about time you settled down a little anyway.”

Chloe shook her head. “But you won’t have me,” she guessed, the tears now brimming over.

Samuel shifted. “No.”

“God, the two of you must hate me,” the vampire moaned.

“I don’t hate you, Chloe.” Not sure about Stacie, though. “I’m just… done. I’ve helped you as much as I can. I’ve been patient, I’ve accepted failure and tried again. But this will be the last time. After this, you’re dealing with your addiction on your own.”

Chloe nodded slowly. “Ok,” she said quietly, wiping her eyes. “Ok, I’ll… I’ll give it a try.”

With sad but firm eyes, Samuel watched her regain her composure. With a sigh, he turned around. “I’ll tell you what I told Leon. Do not fuck this up.”

“Samuel, wait!” He paused in the doorway, and glanced over his shoulder. Chloe swallowed. “You said… anyone? You don’t care who?”

“What am I, your fucking father? I don’t give a shit who you choose. It’s not my place, anyway.” With that, the Russian departed, intent on sleeping off the alcohol and terrible mood he found himself in. Chloe was left alone, to think on his words.

A few minutes later, she was acting on them.

Consultation of the ship’s AI drove her to the Engineering area of the ship, in particular outside a workshop. Ignoring an odd burst of nerves, the Overseer knocked. When there was no response, she knocked again. I know he’s in there.

“Yes, I’m coming I’m coming!” was the irate response, muffled by the metal door and followed by a large amount of clattering and cursing. The owner of the voice poked their head out soon after. “What do you-” He blinked. “Oh. Chloe.”

She smirked. “Glad you actually remember my name.”

Lester placed a hand on the back of his neck. “Of course I remember, why would I forget-” He shook his head. “Nevermind. You want to come in?”

“Well, I mostly came to apologize…” Chloe smiled. “But sure. I'd like that.”

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Misunderstood Monsters, Part 1”

Former United States of America
1923 Hours, January 23rd, 2039
Chicago Capital Megacity

The sound of running water slowly cut off as the dials for the hot and cold water temperatures of the shower were both turned to the off position, the shower curtain pulled open to reveal the bare body of the hybrid woman who had been getting cleaned up in her personal bathroom. There was a heavy blanket of steam holding onto the air that made everything hazy, and when Elise stepped out, her foot slightly pattered against the tiled floor.

Walking forward, the woman grabbed her large towel and picked it up off the hook, throwing it over her body and began scrubbing her green hair dry. As she did, Elise turned and caught her image in the reflection and she slowly stopped, pulling the fabric away and placed it aside as she approached the full length mirror. Her gaze became sorrow filled, looking over her features.

Elise was on the shorter side of the normal womanly height, and she was certainly quite skinny, though lean muscle lay buried deep down. All of her skin was a sickly green color, but running from around the sides and back of Elise’s neck, scales covered the back of her body down to her shoulders. Then, over her ribcage, the scales continued and stopped, smooth skin down to her thighs were the scales covered the sides of those too.

Where her body wasn’t marred by the rough patches, everything was smooth everywhere. Elise took care in making sure that whatever wasn’t already ruined remained perfect. Still, as the woman brushed her hair over her ear, warm tears rolled down the German woman’s face. She cried whenever she was reminded the monster she truly was deep down, no matter how much she smiled and thought she was accepted by the other forces of her units.

Time passed unknowingly, and by the time Elise calmed her sobbing, the steam of the bathroom had long dissipated. Elise pulled her legs close against her bare petite chest and looked down at the soaked bathroom floor, her eyes narrowing in depression. All of my friends are gone… Aegis… Ignis… Bombay… Jayden… Her thoughts drifted on the last of the list, remembering the charismatic fire that the trooper had intoned in himself. Elise had admired that about him from afar, and towards his final days, she had almost worked up the courage to go confess those admirations. The medic knew better then to think things would have turned out happily. No one could truly love a monster anyways.

Soon, a shiver ran through the girl, and she stood up, quickly patting away the water that hadn’t dried itself off of her already before wrapping the fabric around her and stepping out into her spacious bedroom. Even in wartime, she had managed to snag a lot of things the girl enjoyed, from her personal effects in her old team locker, to art supplies and a few novelty books. It was certainly a girly room, even if there was nothing to completely hint that, and from anything it felt merely right.

The 2nd Captain grabbed her white uniform and some white, plain underwear and slowly began dressing, taking her time to make sure everything was in place. When it was, the woman walked out her door and began her day. The first order of business was to head to the communications bay. She had bugged the Commander, and bugged him over and over until finally he relented in at least budging on letting her talk to her captured teammate over on the Avenger. Elise wasted no time getting to her terminal and sending out the signal for contact.

It took awhile for anyone to pick up other than the ship's computer, but once Elise specified who she wanted to speak with it was only a few minutes more before Bombay's face appeared on the screen. "Well, this is certainly unexpected," Bombay remarked with a tone that did little to betray whatever emotions were lurking beneath her currently-placid expression. The black-haired Cartus -or 'Mogul' as the Resistance called her kind- eyed Venom with her keen feline eyes, picking up on the subtle signs of her comrade's distress.

Jezebel's features softened, and she broached the topic that she realized needed to be address. "How... have you been, Elise?"

"Most of my friends are dead, Church was crippled during the siege of Chicago, Desmond barely approved this and I have a butt ton of stuff on my plate right now. In all honesty, at this point I'm just barely able to say I'm lucky to be alive right now," Elise responded honestly, smoothing some hair over her left ear and looking down. "You?"

Jezebel looked down, shifting uncomfortably. "Not... as bad as you. I thought you guys had forgotten about me though... and judging by the way you're talking it sounds like Desmond still hates my guts."

"Well... you did hurt his daughter. I know Thom holds a massive grudge whenever I get injured even if he is a hypocrite when I get mad for his injuries." Elise looked up and stared at the screen sadly. "I... I could never forget you Jezzy. You're... my last friend who is still alive. Things have just been difficult with how quickly we had to retaliate against ADVENT. It made things complicated."

"Eh, I don't begrudge you... my ire's with the guy that nearly melted my nervous system," Bombay replied balefully. "At least I've been of some use over here. The rebels...XCOM" She shook her head, muttering, "that's going to take some getting used to," before finishing her thought with, "they let me fight alongside them. Helped kill a few Elders. Felt... oddly good. I don't have cause to hate them like humans do, but there's something satisfying about winning a fight against someone stronger than you. I see why Yakone digs the whole 'underdog freedom fighter' gig."

"G-Good. I'm glad you've found a purpose again." Elise stated with a nod, doing her best to show her friend a caring smile.

"Did I... uh... strike some sort of nerve?" Jezebel questioned apprehensively.

"What do you mean?" The hybrid asked with her smile slowly dropping.

"I can tell something's bothering you enough to make your accolades insincere," Jezebel responded with a shake of her head. "Don't try and fake it..."

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Misunderstood Monsters, Part 2”

"I-I... I..." Several tears pooled in Elise's eyes, and she covered them, slowly sobbing into her hands for a full minute before attempting to wipe one eye. "I-I miss... you. I miss... everyone. I... I feel so alone Jezebel. I'm trapped her all alone as nothing but a stupid reminder of how much of a monster I am!"

"Y-You're not a monster, Elise..." Bombay responded with a shake of her head. "Being around the people here..." She sighed. "You know that anything I've done is way worse than what you've done. And your looks don't matter for shit. You... you didn't choose what they did to you."

"But that doesn't change what I am! I'm half a damn snake! At least... at least your cat features make you super cute. My scales, my skin... even my very bones are different. I can spit acid for God's sake. People love cats. Snakes are seen as pests. As bad things." Putting her arms around herself, Moreau closed her eyes. "I see it every time I look into a mirror I'm reminded that I am just another Frankenstein."

Jezebel hung her head, her ears drooping. "All I can tell you is that you're not alone. I'm sure plenty of the other Genesis fighters feel pretty gross right now too. But... at the very least there's hope that what was done to you guys can be reverted. We've got some pretty brilliant geneticists over here at XCOM. Maybe after things have settled down something can be done to give you back what was stolen away."

"But... nothing was stolen from me Jezzy. I... I never told you. Or... or anyone else but... I was... born like this. I was made in a test tube. This is who I am. Who I've always been." The hybrid whispered.

"You-" Jezebel fell silent at that, unsure of what to say. No comforting words came to mind in the face of stark reality.

Elise nodded slowly, holding her hands together tightly. "You know... I had a big crush on Jayden too. I would have told him if I wasn't such... a hybrid. He would have been so put off. I imagine everyone will be."

"I don't think he would have cared, but... I don't know if it matters now," Jezebel responded solemnly.

Nodding along in agreement, Elise scratched the side of her head. "What about you? Any stupid crushes to get off your chest?"

"Eh... not really, no. You already know about how Ember was messing around with me, and that's well and over now for obvious reasons."

"You know, speaking about that... how... was that exactly?" Elise asked curiously.

Bombay rubbed the back of her neck. "Well, Ember was... passionate, for sure. She was really assertive. You could even call it aggressive. Forceful." Jezebel shivered. "It was both exhilarating and a little scary being the target of her affections."

"That... does sound like it would be that way." Elise affirmed, shrugging her shoulders. "N-Not that I would know. Being lab grown doesn't offer great dating services."

"No need to be jealous," Jezebel responded with a faint, wistful grin. "Yakone has that fiance of hers. I'm well and truly screwed, though I was only really enraptured by the other version of her. Ipiktok as she really is... she's soft," the Banshee complained with a shake of her head. "Too wrapped up in childish stuff like justice. She knows better and yet assures herself she's some sort of hero. Tch. What a bunch of nonsense."

"Is it such a bad thing to be soft? The world is rough and jaded as it is. I think a change of pace in people's character is good for everyone. Even you Jezzy. I never heard you complain about my attitude before." The hybrid snake woman contested.

"Because working with you was always in my best interest," Bombay responded with a shake of her head. "I was created for the express purpose of being an elite fighter for ADVENT. My pedigree is written with blood," the Cartus declared. "So holding my comrades in serious contempt wasn't an option. I learned to put up with you all," Jezebel insisted. "Doesn't mean I'm sentimental. Everyone needs companions."

Elise smiled wryly. "I don't believe you. Deep down un that furry heart is a spot for me. I can tell."

Bombay growled. "Shut up, slithers."

"And you want to know hooow I know as well?" The 2nd Captain asked, her smirk widening.

"How the hell do you figure I give a rat's ass?" the Cartus took the bait.

Elise smiled brightly, beaming compared to her more depressed nood from before. "Because I love you too Jezzy!" The hybrid stated with a certain nod.

To that, Jezebel merely had an eyeroll and the words, "that's not proof of anything."

"Yes it is, because it is all the proof I need, and in my short life I have never been wrong. That means you are just going to have to deal, else I will have to set you straight about who holds all the power here. Which is me. You are just a wittle, wittle putty tat."

Jezebel's finger hovered over the 'end call' button. "If all you have left is to spew nonsense I'm gonna go now," she responded with an only-mildly amused smile.

"Oh, come now... you... really don't feel the same here?" Elise asked, still retaining her hopeful smile. "After all, who else do you have?"

Bombay coughed. "Wait... what are you talking about, exactly?"

"Um... I don't know, I am not being specific here. Friendship- sisterhood- intimacy, pick a poison. I am taking shots in the dark here to see what fish float to the top of the barrel. What else do I have to lose at this point that I haven't already?" Elise asked the other woman rhetorically.

"Mmmmk... don't ask me to make a choice like that out of the blue. Maybe I'll have some idea of what we are aside from comrades the next time we talk, but for now, I dunno," Bombay responded with a shake of her head.

"All I am doing is presenting the choices, Jezebel." Venom crossed her arms over herself and breathed out, humming a bit as she did. "Though I wanted to make clear that there is something between us. I know there is. We are all that's really left of the Task Force, and that means something to me. So I won't give up on pressing until I do have that answer."

“As long as you’re patient,” Bombay said in reply. “Asking me to put labels on our relationship isn’t an easy request, and I’d have to mull it over to tell you what to make of what ‘us’ is.” She shrugged. “I’ll let you know… I don’t intend for this to be the only time we talk. Until next time, keep safe.” The button was pressed, and Jezebel’s visage vanished off of Elise’s screen.

DarkGemini24601

Dahlexpert and DarkGemini2601: “Revived Ruffian, Part 1”

0830 Hours, January 25th, 2039
Floor 6, Central Block
Command Quarters

Lilith made her way to the Commander's office. With recent attacks the Sharpshooter has felt inadequate, as she hadn’t been able to face an Elder. She figured that Atka could help her in some regard. Lilith reached her CO’s office and knocked on the door. “Commander Ipiktok, it’s Lilith. I need your assistance with a certain matter.”

The door clicked as an electronic lock was remotely unlatched, and Atka beckoned for the Lieutenant to come in. “What can I help you with?” the Inuit woman asked curtly.

Lilith entered the office and closed the door behind her.”Thank you Commande., I’m... how do I put this... I have been feeling like I’m outdated or weak... that’s not the word.” Lilith rubbed her head and exhaled. “With the last few missions and us fighting the elders themselves, I felt powerless. I feel like I can’t help with fighting the Elders. I thought about trying to summon a Reflection but I had no success with that. I tried to rely my emotions in relation to recent events with no avail.”

Atka shook her head. “That’s because it’s not so simple.” She lifted a palm, the frozen double helix that was her original Reflection weapon forming, twisting upwards to the eye level of the two women. “Originally my thoughtform was born out of the deepest despair, and it evolved when, after two decades of suffering, I was faced with even more pain. More recently, I’ve changed its basis to hope… but that was a long and arduous road. Feeling as if you’re not much help to the Resistance, no matter how you seem to yourself, will not result in the birth of a being of such power.”

“Great wonderful, I been through a lot of suffering as well. My home being destroyed, raising Luke in a terrible environment, my fucking skin being gray because of the experiments they did to me. I have a lot of anger commander, and plenty of hatred because I lost my family to the enemy. Trust me, anger I have plenty of, but I don’t understand reflections. I thought you needed a strong willpower and emotions to summon one?”

“You do, but that’s not a guarantee. If that were the case, anyone that’s suffered would have manifested a Reflection, and the course of history would be a lot different.” Atka shrugged. “I don’t understand it fully myself, but I know from experience that there are two types. The first I’d call a ‘Dream’ Reflection. Blue World would fall into this category. Something that you create through your own willpower, emotions, creativity, and… whatever other component goes into the bestowal of Reflections. The other kind skips the creativity and that unknown factor entirely.” The Commander leaned forward. “That’s a ‘Spirit’ Reflection. Red Hawk’s Charon is an example, as he’s a natural spirit from the American north. Those are easy to get… if you happen to run into the supernatural. I’m not sure you’ve encountered anything like that though, or could...”

“Spirit reflections… natural spirits… wait a minute.” Lilith stood up and head towards the door. “Commander, I’m gonna need your help, but it will take me a few hours to get what I need. Do you think you can help me with that?”

“I… can, if you explain what this idea of yours is,” Atka responded with a confused tone.

“My family has always had a strong connection to our fallen brothers and sisters, that might be a good way for me to summon a Reflection. They might not come willingly though, and might need some convincing. That’s where you come in.”

“So they’re as stubborn as you and your nephew, huh…” The Inuit woman sighed, steeling herself for the difficult task ahead. “I’ll give it a shot, at least.”

“Thank you Commander. I appreciate it.” Lilith left the room, and did not return for hours.

It became night. At last, Lilith returned to the commanders with a strange cup in her hand. “Now I have what I need to talk to my dead. Sorry for the very long wait sir, but this stuff needs a good while to set.” The potion itself was red, and looked like poison.

Atka held up a finger, the image of another person on her labtop. “I promise I’ll visit soon, Guillermo. I wouldn’t miss the chance to catch up, mi amigo.”

“Of course, of course. I’ll leave you to your business for now,” the man on the other line stated before closing out the chat window.

The Inuit woman closed her work laptop, and nodded to Lilith. “It’s alright. I’ve just been conducting other business while you’ve been gone.” Atka eyed the concoction in the Sharpshooter’s cup with a wary gaze. “I’m sure you’re certain that stuff’s safe. I’m not an expert in the supernatural beyond what I know of thoughtforms and the spirits of the north, so I’m trusting your judgement here.”

“Well, my people can drink this; our bodies have adapted to this ritual. That’s why my tribe have red eyes. We drink this to gain wisdom from our fallen, but it leaves its mark. For an outsider, it can be very poisonous. The particular version I’ve made here is adapted for those that married into the Van Dams so it won’t kill you.”

Atka stood up from her chair, walking around to where Lilith was. She glanced briefly back at her own shadow, which - despite the flickering of a light in the room - was not wavering naturally. It maintained an eerily sharp shape. “Well, if it makes me sick we have talented biokinetics on staff… I think I’ll be alright one way or the other. I’m ready whenever you are.”

“Great. Now, you're gonna want to find somewhere comfortable. This will knock you out. Let’s begin.” Lilith sat in a chair, and drank the red potion. She started to fade out of consciousness, but before she did, she placed the potion on a desk next to her.

Atka shook her head, reaching down to the drink as she sat on the edge of a bunkbed. “This is way more hardcore than any ritual drug Native American peoples took…” the Inuit woman said with some measure of mirth, before taking a deep breath and downing her portion of the potion.

The area around them went black. Soon, all around them there was snow. The area was bright, as the northern lights lit up the sky with beautiful rays beaming down and reflecting off the snow. There were cabins around the two women. Lilith slowly stood up and noted Atka next to her. “Well Commander, welcome to my home. Back in its heyday anyway.”

Atka glanced around with a fascinated expression. “Curious. This reminds me a lot of my dreamscape, actually. I wonder if that drink of yours serves as some sort of low-level psi amp alongside its supernatural function.”

A good question. It may explain why we remember our home so vividly even in death. Atka turned around as saw a person that looked like Lilith, but with white skin and long blond hair - its length reaching her back. Her eyes were an even deeper red than Lilith’s and Luke’s. So, the great Commander Atka has come to our world. For what reason is a living being not belonging to my tribe here?

That arrogance feels… oddly familiar, Atka mentally noted, though she couldn’t place why encountering this woman felt like deja vu. “Because I believe you can help Lilith, my organization, and the world at large. The spirits of your family seem to linger in the subconscious of those that remain… and I suspect it’s possible for ghosts such as yourself to bind themselves to a member of their family and fight at their side.”

We can. I choose not to. The problems of the material world are no longer mine to worry about. My world died twenty years ago, and the spineless cowards that let it bent over for the aliens and allowed them to fuck them. They deserve what happens to them.

“Scarlet! What the hell? This isn't you. This is your way back in the fight, to help me avenge our family, to fight alongside your son. Is that not what you want?” Lilith pressed.

I do. But why would I return to fight for people that aren’t my kin? Lilith, you were a warlord. That means you serve your people for life, you help us no matter what - and you do so with pride. But you felt guilty for my son when I told you to take care of him, you feel guilty for so many things when you shouldn't. It’s disgusting. How cowardly you become!

No, no… I don’t know why, but I definitely recognize her somehow. Atka stepped forward, eyeing the elder sister with her deep blue eyes contrasting starkly with the crimson irises of the Van Dam. “I’d wager you haven’t been able to see her exploits or those of XCOM from this mental landscape, then. Since you haven’t been keeping up, let me educate you,” Atka stated, matching stubborn confidence with stubborn confidence. “Lilith’s racked up quite the bodycount since your demise. Killed aliens like a Chryssalid Hive Queen with her own strength. She might feel regret for having lost you all, but it hasn’t made her soft. And alongside her XCOM has taken great strides to crushing the Protectorate menace. These so-called ‘spineless cowards’ managed to kill several Ethereals on our own. Weak is something we are not.”

DarkGemini24601

Dahlexpert and DarkGemini24601: "Revived Ruffian, Part 2"

Really, then you have no reason to be here then if you're not a spineless cowards. You killed Elders. Great. That’s actually fantastic, but i’m not talking about your program. I don’t care for the others under you outside my son and his new family. I care about her. Scarlet pointed to her sister. You are a coward, Lilith. You talk to Luke about facing your fears but you can’t face your own you can’t get over what happened to your would-be family!

Lilith glared at her sister.” Don’t you mention them. They have nothing to do with this.”

They have every thing to do with this! You blame yourself for things that were out of your control and you let it consume you. You’re weak for not moving on. Now as for you Commander, I don’t care what she’s done for you. My judgement stands. I’m not helping someone I know nothing about.

Atka was silent for a moment, impassive as she considered the predicament. “You respect strength, right? You may not have seen us in action, and you might see buttressing my forces as a sign of wavering confidence… I disagree but that’s aside the point. If I showed you my prowess firsthand, would that be cause for you to reconsider?”

It will get me to trust you, and if you impress me then I will help you. And I have a list of demands for my sister if that happens. Scarlet looked at the Commander and stood off her from the tree stump she was on. Heh, it’s been years since I had a good fight. I hope this will not be the first .

A faint blue glow suffused across Atka’s body as she enhanced herself with a holistic physical boost. She nodded ever so slightly, and then instructed, “begin.”

Scarlet looked at the commander, and smiled. A blue psion, eh? I don’t think I had the opportunity to face one of you. Hehe, this should be fun. Scarlet lifted a finger and motioned to her to “bring it”.

Forcing me to come to you, huh? So be it. Atka lunged at Scarlet, sliding on her feet as she neared striking range. She threw a punch, but kept her leg muscles tensed for a leap backwards should the ghost try to entrap her.

Scarlet cracked her neck, and vanished from Atka’s sight - only to reappear in front of her and headbutt her. See the beauty of being dead… in my world, I can literally do whatever. Not very smart to pick a fight with me, Commander. But since that would be cheating, that’s is my one time use.

Atka rubbed her forehead with a pained grimaced, pushing herself back and away from a possible follow-up attack. “There’s a reason I’m not simply crushing you with Blue World out of the gate. Using a Reflection and my own strength against a lone thoughtform wouldn’t be fair. Don’t think you’re invincible, though… you might have the home turf advantage here, but that all relates to your force of will. And mine-” the snow on the ground congealed into clumps and then froze into spikes of ice that launched at Scarlet “-is not to be taken lightly!”

Aw, that’s cute. Ice spikes… adorable. Scalet used thermokinesis to melt the ice and the enhanced fire went straight for Atka. Please tell me you can dodge this, I will be disappointed if you can’t.

I won’t cheat, she says, using powers she couldn’t have had when she was alive, Atka internally grumbled. She created new ice under her feet, using it as a slide to get out of the way of the attack. She followed up with a watery helix that she pumped mental energy into before shooting the mindfray at Scarlet’s skull.

Scarlet felt her head tingle, but she looked at the commander disappointed. Really, you think mind attacks will work on the dead.You’re not very bright are you? Scarlet used her thermokinesis to send a row of fire waves around the Commander, surrounding her in a circle of fire. She then shot a psi lance at Atka.

The Inuit woman created a frigid field of frost around herself, snuffing out the fire and allowing her to roll to the side out of the way of the psionic bullet that raced past her. “At this point you’re just making up rules. A physical attack not working on a spirit would make more sense than the nonsense you’re spewing,” the old soldier growled. But if this tomfoolery is your idea of a fair fight… then I’ll transcend what I’m capable of in the material world myself. Atka lifted her hands, and compressed them into fists. Two swells of blue energy wound into balls, and then elongated into what could be described as sharp-tipped conical rockets made of psionic energy. Atka shot the two psi lances of her own at Scarlet, the psychokinetic missiles barreling at the Van Dam.

That’s the way you want to play? Fine then. Scarlet used shockwave to blow away the psi lance attack. She looked the commander and her eyes grew redder out of anger.

Lilith used the dreamscape around her to manifest her DMR and fire at Scalet. “Scar, enough of this. I don’t know what the hell has gotten into you, but this is not you! You're not this arrogant. My sister is strong and prideful, yes. But you're also kind and care for others. Plus, I know you hate me for being weak, I know you want me to stop moping, but if you don’t stop this... I will force you to the other side. Whether you want to pass on or not.”

Scarlet looked at her sister and back at the Commander. Heh, now that’s what I wanted to see: my sister standing up and speaking for yourself. The elder sister lowered her arms. Atka it would seem your Lieutenant has found a bit of her spine again, it’s about time.

Atka crossed her arms. “It would appear so.” Goddamn bitch was just using me to prove a point…

Scarlet chuckled. I apologize for my actions. Truth be told, I been watching your men for quite a while. You molded them into fine soldiers, and as a mother. I thank you for taking in my son Luke and giving him opportunity to become the soldier he was meant to be.

“You’re welcome,” Atka responded briefly. “I assume Lilith has proved herself to you now?”

Not completely, but it’s a step. I will fully forgive her when she changes her skin back. But that’s my personal bias. Again, I’m sorry for my actions. I know I came off as a bitch but I needed my sister to stand up and find herself. Now, she still hasn't done that, but I can help her take steps. I do look forward to working with the young and seeing my daughter-in-law as well.

Atka nodded slowly, her gaze drifting over to Lilith. “Just keep something in mind, Van Dam… she will be your Reflection, and as such she’ll be bound to you. You’ll have full control… so make sure she doesn’t put Alexis through any sort of family initiation crap like this. I’d be… displeased if I found out Alex was hurt over something ridiculous.”

“She will behave herself. Trust me, Commander, Scarlet is not a dog. She can behave herself. And I’m sure she doesn't need this since she will be made flesh, in a manner of speaking.”

Heh… I’ll behave. Oh, and Commander? Thanks for the fun fight, it’s been awhile since I fought.

Taxor_the_First

DarkGemini24601 and Taxor_the_First: “Smokey Situation”, Part 1

1039 Hours, January 26th, 2039
Level 2, Rear Block
The Bar (where else?)

“We’ve both got something in common, anyway,” Stacie spoke up. Across from her in the booth, the red-haired, sunglasses-wearing (even though she was indoors) cyborg soldier’s brow furrowed.

“How, exactly?” Poinsettia questioned tersely.

“Both lost a limb.”

“I’ve lost four,” Set specified irritably. “Don’t try to compare getting your arm blown off to me having my arms and legs forcibly replaced by those xeno bastards.”

“I-I wasn’t trying to…” Stacie rubbed the back of her neck, feeling bad and at a loss for words.

Set’s sister came to the rescue. “I believe what Belle was trying to say is that you both know what it is like to lose part of yourself, not that your experiences were equivalent,” Emmeline explained in an attempt to mollify her easily-angered sibling.

That seemed to do the trick. Though Poinsettia searched for something else to be irked about. “Why exactly is she here, anyway? I can understand that you’re letting the two of us fight alongside your squad, but a former Advent soldier?”

“I came here because I owed it to them. The sacrifice that Maxwell Dominguez and others made is the only reason I was able to escape that train station with my life. My allegiance was to Shen’lutusus, anyway, who was an ally of Ex-” Zoya began.

“A necessary one, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be kicked off our planet when this is all over,” Poinsettia rebuffed with a contemptuous shake of her head. “We don’t need extraterrestrials fucking with our planet any more than they have. I’m not sure what the hell we’re going to do with hybrids like you.”

“The European Overseer’s forces and Genesis are our allies, so you will have to put up with them. I do hope that the younger Chambers and those like her can come up with a way to reverse the hybridization, though,” Emmeline half-agreed.

“I don’t disagree with that,” Zoya responded with a sigh. “I only am this way because I wanted to do the right thing, and at the time I thought that meant working within the system in place,” the Russian remarked, looking at one of her gray palms.

“At least you’re here now, with us,” Stacie remarked with a shrug. “That’s really all I care about.”

A scraping noise heralded the arrival of another, Samuel depositing the chair at the side of the table of four. “Wouldn’t be the first ex-ADVENT we’ve had,” he noted, sitting down. “Samuel Yokolov, by the way. Aerotrooper. Somehow still Stacie’s boyfriend,” he finished, jabbing a finger in her direction.

“She’s a good catch, that’s for sure,” Emmeline remarked with a knowing nod.

“Careful with the compliments, you might piss off your girlfriend,” Set jabbed at her sister.

Not one to get embarrassed easily, Emmeline merely rolled her eyes. “She’s not that thin-skinned.”

“Never mind her. What about me?” Samuel asked, mock-shocked. “That’s my girl you’re hitting on.”

“Eh, don’t lie. You’d just ask if there was room for one more if we went at it,” Stacie told the Russian man matter-of-factly.

“If I wasn’t too busy trying to locate a camera,” was the response. “Thing of natural beauty, that would be. Wouldn’t want to mess with it.”

“I think you’d find disagreement with your ere-” Stacie started.

“Alright, enough,” Poinsettia grumbled.

Samuel merely smirked. “I think we’re making her a bit jealous,” he confided (loudly) to his girlfriend. “Or aroused. Not sure which.”

A mechanized fist slammed down on the table. “You want a piece of this?” she demanded furiously.

“Whoah, settle down Schwarzenegger,” the Russian said, holding up his hands in surrender. “Sorry for assuming you’d have a sense of humour.”

The Juggernaut’s cybernetic hand clenched harder for a moment, and then in the next pressure was released abruptly. As if having seen some sort of apparition, Poinsettia sobered drastically, and she apologized, “Forgive me, I… misunderstood you. I shouldn’t be so quick to assume mockery,” the cyborg spoke much more calmly.

Samuel blinked, surprised at the sudden turn of emotion. And here was me thinking I’d finally get a chance to have Umbra arm-wrestle someone. “That’s… fine. Don’t worry about it.”

Emmeline seemed a bit concerned, though the flash of that expression was quickly replaced by her normal calm as she matched Set’s more placid mood. “Regardless, I’m glad to hear things are going well for you two. Despite… the struggles that we continually go through, it seems everyone’s spirits are climbing gradually. Hope is beginning to overtake the disillusionment and pessimism that many people in the Resistance once felt.”

“... yeah. I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting to us get this far when I joined, let alone see the possibility of actually kicking the aliens off the planet.” The Aerotrooper shook his head. “Recent events have made me start thinking about what the hell’s going to happen after the war, where I used to just focus on the next battle and that’s it.”

Stacie shrugged. “I want to say ‘we’ll get to that when we get there’, but some planning ahead can’t be terrible. Inspires us to reach out to the future,” she remarked, leaning back and withdrawing a pack of cigarettes from her jeans.

Samuel’s expression noticeably darkened. “... Stacie, can we talk for a bit?” He glanced at the others at the table. “No disrespect meant, I just want to discuss something with her.”

Emmeline shrugged, realizing the gravity of the situation and doing her best to play it off for the sake of the pair’s dignity. “Fair enough. Set, Lagunouv, why don’t we go gets some drinks from Firebrand? I hear she has a stash of wine she keeps under the bar…”

Zoya’s eyes widened slightly. “Seriously?” she questioned, eagerly getting up and following the two sisters away from the booth.

Stacie’s smile faded, and she eyed Samuel. “What’s up?” she queried uncomfortably.

The Russian sighed. “I want to preface this by saying I don’t want to get bogged down by it,” he started. “I’m going to ask you once. We’re going to discuss it. And regardless of the outcome, I won’t mention it again. Honestly I probably wouldn’t have brought this up until later, but like I said. Recent events…” He shook his head. “Long story short, I… want you to quit smoking.”

Stacie gave him a confused expression, responding simply, “Tell me why.”

Samuel considered for a moment before allowing himself a brief chuckle. “I used to think we were invincible,” he said quietly. “Death being a foreign concept. Distant. A problem for another day.” He glanced over to the side, over to the memorial wall. “You… probably know the feeling better than I do. Suddenly mortality is a viable concern. Specifically those we care for.”

The Aerotrooper turned his gaze back to her. “You might give Merlux shit for telling you the health risks of that all the time, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s right. Might not be today, might not be tomorrow, but one day that will kill you. Sometime in the future, it will kill you.” He hesitated. “And I don’t want my time with you to be cut short by something that could have been prevented.”

Taxor_the_First

DarkGemini24601 and Taxor_the_First: Smokey Situation, Part 2

Stacie rubbed the back of her neck. “Well, it hasn’t really been much of a concern. I figure whatever advanced medical tech or healing biokinesis we have on hand can help if I come down with something. It’s not really that big of a deal.”

“The problem is that we may not notice until it’s too late,” Merlux noted, appearing at her side.

“This is not the time to gang up on me, Mer…” Stacie growled.

“I-I’m only speaking up because I worry,” Merlux responded. “Something like… something like cancer would be a hard knot to untie, even for someone like Chandra or Nouja. Especially if it creeps up on you. That’s why it’d be better if you…”

The Gunslinger rubbed the sides of her head with her hands. “I get it, I get it!” she grumbled. “I just… it’s not that easy to just say ‘enough is enough’. It’s not something I can just abandon cold-turkey.”

“I know,” Samuel butted in. “Wouldn’t ask that of you. I’m… well familiar with dependencies like that.”

“You are, are you?” Stacie questioned a bit suspiciously, desperate to deflect from the issue at hand.

“Not personally,” he hastily added. “But the Resistance isn’t without it’s faults. Some people use it as a means of fueling cravings for alcohol, drugs, violence, what have you. And then there’s Chloe.” The Russian shook his head at the thought. “I know damn well you can’t just throw that off and be done with it. Nobody could, not without some pretty severe side-effects. But if you ease off…”

“It’ll… take a long time. But I…” Stacie sighed, shaking her head furiously. “I realize how important this is, I just… it’s not something that I totally want to do. I’m torn.” The Gunslinger ran a finger across the table idly. “Smoking relaxes me, and it’s helped me… take my mind off what happened back in Matterhorn. Maxwell’s death in particular still haunts me. I was right there, and I couldn’t…” Stacie exhaled again. “I’ve been doing my best to not blame myself. I know it isn’t healthy. But if I let my mind wander… I can’t help but feel like shit. Cigarettes fill that hole in my time.”

“Then find a replacement for it,” Samuel suggested, his tone gentle. “Work in engineering, train, do whatever. I just spent a week drowning my sorrows in alcohol, so I can tell you firsthand that’s a bad idea. What’s a task that you focus completely on?”

“I’m fine with doing a little more work, that and some good music in tandem keeps me distracted. There’s only so much maintenance work and training I can do though, and I can tell you that there’s going to be a big gap in my time. I usually am around here a lot, but if I’m here and not smoking it’ll tempt me to drink too much,” Stacie bemoaned.

The Russian considered. “I… don’t think it’ll be as bad as you seem to think it will be,” he noted. “If you’re easing off, then you still have smoking time. Maybe an extra half-hour or something a day. Nothing too massive. Surely you can distract yourself for that long?”

“Problem is it’ll get worse as it goes on. And if I screw up at literally any point…” Stacie scratched her head. “Then it was all for nothing, and I’m back to square one.”

“Just don’t go and fuck my squad, and we’ll be good,” Samuel muttered inaudibly.

Stacie managed to pick up on it - perhaps due to some meddling from Merlux. “Wait, what?!”

The Russian shook his head. “Chloe,” he said tiredly, refusing to (and probably not really needing to) explain further. “And I wouldn’t worry about the consequences of messing up. The goal is not to, after all.”

“So that’s how she deals with her problems, huh…” Stacie mumbled. “You think that’d work for me?”

Samuel looked at her in alarm. “You can’t be serious. I thought all that talk earlier was just banter, I didn’t realise…” He swallowed. “I… can’t. I let you set most of the rules for this relationship, but I draw the line at making it open.”

Stacie coughed violently, waving her hands. “T-T-That’s not what I meant!” she stammered. “I meant we could… spend more time together… to compensate…”

“... oh.” He breathed a sigh of relief. “Good. I was worried - wait, hold on.” The universe has a cruel sense of humour. Or twisted, at the very least. “You’re serious? I know I said I’d help, but this wasn’t what I meant.”

Stacie narrowed her eyes. “Are you going to expect me to give up something and offer nothing in return? That’s pretty one-sided of you.” Merlux wordlessly vanished.

“Well, I mean… I’m not exactly opposed to the idea,” Samuel admitted. “But… well, I started this thinking you’d get pissed off. I certainly wasn’t expecting this resolution.” Jeez. Probably couldn’t have gone any better if I’d planned it.

“Don’t get me wrong, I am pissed off about the situation. Though I understand why I have to quit, and it was inevitable that this was going to come up…” Stacie shook her head. “Doesn’t mean I can’t capitalize on the opportunity though.”

“You’re the one capitalizing?” the Russian asked, bewildered. He folded his arms. “You know, any guy in my position would be considering himself the lucky one in this arrangement. Not you.”

“Are you implying I don’t enjoy our sessions?” Stacie questioned with a raised eyebrow.

Samuel smirked. “Oh, I know you do. You tend to make that quite clear.”

Stacie returning the expression, and reached down, sliding away the back of cigarettes. “So, in place of these… shall we take option two?”

“Wha- now?!”

“Yes now.”

The Russian looked like he was about to argue before he seemed to realize what he was opposing and backed down again. “Well, if you insist.” Shaking his head, he stood. “Hope those other three aren’t offended.”

“Eh, I think Emmeline will understand, and she can persuade the others. Don’t worry about it,” Stacie responded with a smirk, taking his hand. “Come on.”

DarkGemini24601

“Necessary Knowledge” - Atka Ipiktok

1000 Hours, January 27th, 2039
Floor 5, Port Wing
The Brig

Merenu’beurmas sat in the midst of her cell, her legs crossed on the cold steel floor. The Overseer’s robes were dusty to some degree, but that didn’t bother her. What did was the absence of her mask. For an accomplished Ethereal to be without their ceremonial facial covering was a stigma of irresponsibility and shame. For someone as diligent as Rhea, this was unacceptable. Yet no matter how much she fumed, or tried to call upon her psionics to permit some sort of escape, it was clear that XCOM had taken no chances in the security measures installed in her cuffs. The psionic dampeners were so strong she would have to struggle even to make a pebble wobble with telekinesis.

It was in this sorry state that Atka found the alien general when she entered the brig. Upon sighting the Commander, the Overseer turned her body, standing up and facing the wall indignantly. She could not muster a proper telepathic connection, and thus remained silent. Atka broke the sonic void with the words, “turn around.” When Merenu did not comply, the Inuit woman spoke louder and more firmly. “You don’t have a choice. Turn around, Merenu’beurmas.”

Wordlessly, the Ethereal slowly pivoted to face Atka. “Are you satisfied?” Rhea rasped weakly, having not used her voice in weeks. And even when she had spoken in the fight against the squad that had apprehended her, she had used her sonokinesis to amplify and modify her harsh whisper into something approaching a normal conversation volume. It was not standard protocol among the Elders to speak aloud, but it was her only means of retort right now.

“No. I didn’t come here to make you submit to my commands. I want information,” Atka replied with a shake of her head.

“I am not telling you anything!” Merenu’beurmas hissed angrily. “If you think that I’ll betray my people…” she coughed, clutching at her throat and wheezing out, “...just… for the sake… of my own life… you’re wrong. I refuse.”

Atka sighed. “I expected as much, from everything Shen’lutusus told us about you.”

“Dare… not speak the traitor’s… name in my presence!”

“You seem to misunderstand the situation you’re in here!” Atka replied harshly. “Let me spell it out for you, Rhea. You can tell me what I want to know… or I can take that information myself. I’d prefer not to resort to what amounts to psychic torture. Your underlings did that to my daughter, and I consider it abominable. But I will do what I have to in order to preserve the lives of my subordinates.”

“I will not willingly tell you anything,” Rhea responded with finality in her voice.

“So be it, then.” Atka closed her eyes for a moment, reaching out psionically. She found her attempts at reading Merenu’s mind to be frustrated by mental shielding of a magnitude only an Ethereal could manage. “Lower your defenses and this will be less painful.”

“No.”

“Christ, you’re stubborn,” the Commander responded with an exasperated exhalation. “I don’t have to be this patient with you. Your pets killed one of my recent recruits, turning him into one of those Chryssalid monsters… and then your entourage of Zephyrs murdered one of my veteran soldiers. I have nothing but contempt for you. I only offer up an alternative to the painful route because I have common decency. But if you’re going to stand there and be defiant… I guess you’re free to stick by your principles.” Atka surrounded her hand in a spinning blue mindfray helix. If she gets a taste of what it’s like to be at an interrogator’s mercy, perhaps she’ll reconsider. It’s not like the Declensions are really ever faced with a situation where they’re helpless, and she may need a wake-up call to toss away this fake courage.

With that in mind, Atka launched the mental attack at Merenu’beurmas, pumping power into the strike as she could and focusing it on the crux of the Elder’s defenses. The attack flayed the psychic bulwark of Rhea, but it wasn’t enough to destroy it in one strike. The Ethereal recoiled in agony, gripping her head. But as a few seconds ticked by, she did not beg for a cessation of the attacks. She did not spill her guts. She merely stared at the Commander with her blue-rimmed orange eyes, defiant and unbroken.

I guess I was wrong about her, Atka reconsidered. She really does have resolve. Even if it’s for the wrong cause, and she’s a despicable enemy… I can respect that aspect of her character. Reminds me of a certain daughter of mine. Knowing this, though, Atka would show no mercy. She laid down a second attack, whipped a third mindfray into shape and launched it into Merenu’s head.

Soon enough, the Ethereal’s mental barriers were broken down, and she was left struggling to keep herself from collapsing on the floor. Atka had free reign to reach into Rhea’s brain with her mind-reading ability. Like a diver plunging into the deeps, the Inuit woman established a mental link that pried into Merenu’s memories, searching for important and pertinent knowledge. It wasn’t long before Atka found what she was looking for. The subordinate tacticians of the Overseers, the Watchers, were well-known to Rhea - in particular where they were located, or at least where they tended to be. This would allow XCOM to track down these secondary enemies when they could and eliminate them, and notify the Resistance, Genesis, and Exalt to take out foes that the freedom fighting cadre didn’t have time for.

But equally important to the Commander was the knowledge she gained about the other Overseers. Granted, Merenu didn’t seem to know much about Avyssos’straiga. Erebus was an enigma to her, and from what Atka could tell, that seemed to be by the Overseer of North America’s design. Any attack launched against him would be blind, which worried the Resistance leader. At the very least, his location was known.

New York City, huh? It’s been a long time since I’ve been there, and the last and only time I was there it was during a terror strike in the first war. Good times… Atka thought sarcastically. He'll be our next target, though.

And then there was the matter of Cordiam’ecformin’cettnint. What Atka discovered confirmed fears that she’d held ever since she talked to her sister about the Overseer of Australia. Chronus had never revealed to Blukersey the extent of her chronokinetic abilities, but now Atka had a good idea of them. Temporal acceleration was something that Cordiam was capable of, which would make her as fast as Morrigan, if not faster. But worse than that, the Goddess of Time had an ability that chilled the Commander to the bone. She could stop time. Rhea didn’t seem to know for how long, precisely, but it seemed like Cordiam could move in a frozen sliver of time for a few seconds before the ability gave out. Even with that short of time, the power to move and act uninhibited was utterly terrifying.

I have no desire to face her soon. We’re going to need a solid plan to fight an enemy like that, and I’m going to have to push the abilities of Blue World and Kommandant to their fullest in order to give us a fighting chance, Atka realized anxiously.

And the final, most powerful Overseer was something to be feared himself. He had several powers beyond normal psionic abilities that gave Atka pause, and it appeared that there was more to him than even Rhea knew or understood herself. Much of her experiences with the Overseer of Africa were laced with feelings of intimidation and dread, and it would take some time for Atka to sort through what Rhea knew in order to get a better understanding of Jupiter's capabilities.

The Commander stepped back from Rhea’s cell, feeling that any further prying into her mind would risk straining it to a shattering point. “I’ll be back… there are still things I want to know. About the Honored Overseer and his father in particular. But for now that’ll be all.” Rhea said nothing, and so Atka departed without another word, having a lot to enter into her strategic laptop and much to decipher from the memories she had imbibed.

DarkGemini24601

“Thawed Transformation” - Atka Ipiktok

North American Continent
Former United Mexican States
Specifically, Baja California Sur
La Paz, January 30th, 2039
1900 Hours, Local Time

The hotel had changed since Atka had last visited it, all those months ago at a time that felt oddly distant from the present for someone who had lived more than four decades. Yet still, it was different and far-off from how the Commander remembered her friend’s place. The holes in the floorboards above and below had been patched or outright replaced with fresh lumber. Light no longer seeped through cracks in a dilapidated structure. Rather, electric lamps had been re-installed on the ceiling of the prewar building and filled the room with a warm, yellow-orange, shining glow.

And the people there had changed. What had once been a mass of human misery, with refugees from ADVENT-destroyed towns and directionless locals was now a fighting force for freedom. Resistance guerrillas dressed in everyday baggy clothing painted desert camo stood talking, drinking, and making merry, their magnetic weapons on their backs or on racks on the walls. It reminded Atka of the romanticized picture that history books painted the American Revolution. Obviously, she knew well that the reality of being in rebellion to a stronger force was much harsher than oft depicted, but today she was able to witness the more heroic side of a revolt.

Upon seeing the Commander of XCOM and instantly recognizing her for who she was, many of the guerillas in the room fell silent, nudging their friends to do the same. All of them then saluted in solemn respect. Atka returned the gesture in solidarity, standing stiffly before relaxing her muscles, smiling,and waving her hand dismissively as she lowered it. “At ease, my friends,” she enjoined with a friendly tone.

“What brings you here, sir?” one of the boys asked, remaining in a respectful stance but lowering his salute as instructed.

“I’m here to see Guillermo, provided he’s present,” Atka responded.

“I would not easily forget our meeting,” the hotel manager and resistance officer spoke as he stepped out from behind the veiled reception desk. “My apologies, I was in communication with the forward scouts. They’re in the process of confirming the location we believe the ‘Lower American’ Watcher is lurking.”

“Eager to get rid of those arbitrary border delineations, eh?” Atka noticed, smiling as her old friend approached. “You certainly sound like it.”

“Indeed I am. Taking out that Declension tactician will be a massive step towards restoring our sovereignty,” Guillermo stated proudly.

Atka raised an eyebrow. “That really caught on? Damn.”

“Your daughter has a clever wit. Many seem to appreciate that,” Guillermo remarked.

“So the footage of the battles against the Overseers are getting around, I trust?” Atka sought confirmation.

Guillermo nodded. “People are aware she’s back in action. Her reputation that was tarnished by that broadcast Ember Verrater made is being restored among her fellow freedom fighters.”

“Desmond's doing his part to assuage the people in the liberated megacities that she’s not the person they were made to think she was. Still, it’s going to be difficult, having a subtle stigma following her around…” Atka sighed.

“But she’s tough enough to handle that, correct?

“Of course.”

Guillermo grinned broadly. “Then we have nothing to worry about. She’s a tough girl. She’ll manage.”

Atka relaxed, offering up a shrug of agreement. “I suppose you’re right.” She smiled again. “I’m proud of how far she’s come throughout all of this.”

He rubbed the stubble on his chin. “I must say, you certainly have changed since we last spoke in person. The weight on your shoulders has been lifted, hasn’t it?”

“Perceptive as always. Yes… the time spent fighting as I once did, encountering obstacles but for the first time achieving success, and doing it alongside a team of great people…” Atka rattled off pleasantly. “It’s lifted my spirits from the depths that the prior two decades had dragged them down into.”

“I’m glad to hear that. The message of hope has reached many in the past few months, and it has at last truly reached you as well,” Guillermo stated. “That will only motivate me to fight harder, seeing how our victories help you.”

“Speaking of which… before we get a chance to catch up, I wanted to confirm the details of that imminent operation with you. I’ll be sending a team of my own to assist your soldiers with their assault on the Protectorate facility,” Atka informed her ally.

“Of course. My friends here will be enthusiastic about fighting alongside the legendary XCOM again,” Guillermo confirmed with a hearty chuckle. “And we’ll certainly need your help,” he affirmed more seriously. “We can handle the Peacekeepers, but fighting against aliens is always a difficult task. And it comes with a heavy loss of life.” He held up a hand. “I don’t expect your forces to be able to avert any casualties. My men cannot be as well-equipped as yours. I am merely grateful for their assistance, and will accept whatever benefit that may provide.”

“Of course. We’ll fight as well as we can. That’s the best we can do,” Atka agreed. “Though I do have something to offer up to you.” She smirked, holding an open palm out to the side. “You see, we have a lot of outdated weaponry that we no longer need. We’re on the cusp of coming up with an advanced version of magnetic guns. Once we’re finished we can start distributing plasma weapon blueprints so that Resistance forces can adapt alien weapons to their use. For now though… how would you feel about being equipped with our old pulse weapons and a few plasma guns we can spare?”

Guillermo’s eyes widened. “That sounds like a good offer. I only wish I could repay you for it.”

“The death of another Declension is good enough remuneration for me,” Atka responded casually. “Let me know when you’re ready to launch the mission.”

“Indeed… but for now…” Guillermo patted Atka on the back. “Let’s go enjoy a good drink, shall we?”

“Alright.” Atka raised an eyebrow. “But no drinking games. Those aren’t even remotely fair,” the woman of shorter stature and lower body mass asserted.

“Of course, of course. I know well how moody you can get when you’re drunk, anyway,” Guillermo replied with a guffaw to follow his words. “Let’s go catch up, Liberador.”

“You see,” Atka began as she began to walk towards the door to go to the bar with her old friend, “now that title is valid.

“Indeed it is, Atka… indeed it is.”

When Atka returned to the Avenger late at night after hours spent with her comrade-in-arms, enjoying herself, the Inuit woman headed to the showers before she returned to her room. A turn of a knob sent a warm, soothing rain down upon her head, tricking from her hair down along her body. Atka felt alive again, like she'd been ressurected from an early grave, yanked from the soil by the hand of God himself. She did not turn back to look at the burial ground any longer. She was reborn, and that was all that mattered. She was, without a doubt, herself again.

So when she approached the mirror in the locker room and took a look at her features, she was only mildly surprised to see that something had changed. Her eyes, once a dark, despairing blue, were shifting back to a bright cornflower color oncemore.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Reflections of One's Path
Part One

Alpine Megacity “Matterhorn”
1244 Hours, January 31st, 2039
Former-Protectorate Facility

"A-are you sure you're okay, Master Shen," the traitor Elder's closest associate said, clearly worried. "You spent so much energy directly the troops... you just got your color back fully."

Shen waved his hand dismissively, trying not to show how tiring even such a small motion was. You worry too much, Anja. I am fine. I am more worried about the troops.

"R-right. Um..." Anja nervously handed him a data pad, knowing it was probably a bad idea to let him see it now but knowing he would insist. "I-I finished calculating the numbers. Damage to the city, supplies, um... c-casualties..."

A wave of negative emotions waved through the room, Anja feeling sick to her stomach for a moment, and sign of how Shen felt. She couldn't see the despair on his face behind his mask, but even without the unintentional empathic surge, she knew him well enough to have an idea. So many... was it even worth it? Was it wrong of me to sacrifice so many for my vendetta?

"It was more then that," Anja insisted. "You're only saying that to beat yourself up."

"If you react that way to this city, perhaps it is a bad idea to show you the results worldwide," said a voice with a slight artificial tinge to it that made it hard to discern if it was male or female. In the center of the room, the sleek, metallic form of a cybernetic person dropped their stealth camouflage, their face, assuming they had one, obscured by a solid visor.

Anja jumped at the individuals' sudden appearance. Taking a moment to calm her nerves, she gave an extremely nervous look. "M-Master Shen'letusus i-isn't schedule to see anyone today, s-so... come back tomorrow."

"You are very loyal," the cyborg stated, a recognizable Russian accent coming to surface. "This loyalty could very well get you killed some day. But not today. Lucky for you, I am an ally."

Anja, please. Shen rose to his feet, placing the pad on his desk. Forgive her, X. I am still recovering. And you are someone I have told her about but obviously never mentioned what you looked like. I believe she fears you could kill me. Anja, this is my most elite field operative, X. Most of the information you received when we were planning our little betrayal came from X alone.

Anja bit her lip, and stepped to the side, watching X closely. It was almost amusing, like a mouse giving a threatening look to a lion.

"I am glad my assistance led to a loyal staff." X gave a small bow. "I have worked for you begrudgingly in the past. And I admit, when you came forward with this plan to turn to the human's side, I doubted you. I believed this was some trick to test my loyalty, or at best you were seriously but would fail to follow through out of fear of turning against the Protectorate. But you were honest, and you kept your resolve. And for that, I shall stay loyal to the end... and give you my thanks."

Shen slowly folded his arms under his robes. Well now... I am surprised. Humans do that a lot. Surprise me. I never expected that from you, not to speak ill of you character, because as I stand... I have done little to earn your gratitude. Even if we win this struggle, I will never truly atone for the actions I have committed on your world. He chuckled lightly under his mask. But that won't stop me from trying. He slowly bowed his head, not deeply, but considering the pride that was inherit in all of his kind, even Shen himself, it was an extremely rare gesture. And I thank you, X. I can honestly say this defense would have failed without you and the unique talents you provide. That, and the... unfortunate sacrifices of those that serve XCOM.

X nodded. "They fought valiantly. And their leader should be commended for keeping their casualties to a minimum. It is too bad we could not at least recover all of the bodies for them, but some bodies simply no longer existed.

Yes, I was made aware of the... somewhat undignified way some of them went. Shen shook his head and turned around. I planned for so much, for so long, and yet I was still surprised by the intensity of their attack. I mean... a Sectopod? One of those disgusting, three headed monstrosities? That overkillng excuse for a insectoid tank? What is it you humans say? Hindsight is a witch?

"A-a bitch, sir," Anja corrected, blushing a bit at the word. "W-what Master Shen is trying to say is the scale of this attack went far beyond our projections, and we left an awful lot of anticipation open. I believe that the escapades of XCOM has got them a lot more nervous then they we expected." She offered a small smile. "Th-they're scared of them, and Commander Atka in particular."

"Good," X said sincerely. "They should be afraid. They deserve to be afraid, especially with them gunning for elders." The cyborg slowly approached the desk. "I do wonder, though... can you trust this woman to have your best interests in mind. After all you have done to help..."

My fate is of little consequence. I can trust Atka to act in the best interest of humanity, and with that in mind I can predict her actions in a manner that lets me work with her without worrying she will turn on me. And when she is finished, and the Protectorate is no more, my life will be where it belongs; in the hands of the humans. What they choose to do with me is up to them.

"But Master Shen." Anja gave him a fearful look. "What if... what if they call for you head? You helped XCOM so much... they should at least support you with that. Do you think Atka won't have your back?"

"She might not have a choice," X interjected. "I know little of this Commander personally. But she seems a woman of character. There is a chance she will not order the execution of the one who was once an Overseer. But when this war is over, assuming she wins, people will be looking to her to guide them. And aside from this city, most will likely call for blood. Atka might have to put her own feelings aside and do what she must with Shen, regardless of personal feelings."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Reflections of One's Path
Part Two

All things to... to worry about after the other Overseers are gone. And that is why X is here today.
Shen stood silent and still for several moments. It is an odd thing... plotting the death of those you only recently called 'allies'. If my... people survive this ordeal, no matter what the consequences, no matter what the outcome, I will forever be known as the... greatest traitor in the history of my people. I believe the most appropriate comparisons to humanity would be Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus... or perhaps Judas Iscariot... it is a frightening idea, to know you legacy will be one of... hatred. He slowly turned back to x, his body looking like it might collapse under his own emotional weight. But... what must be done... must be done. The good of one race does not outweigh the lives of another as my people believe. You can... count on me to to see this through to its inevitable end.

X nodded, and held up a hand, showing him a small data unit. "On that note, here it is. All of the information I could obtain from across the world on the Overseers. Locations, personalities, powers, strengths, possible weaknesses, and so on. It is not as complete as I would like it to have been, but even I have my limits to what I can do."

It will suffice. XCOM has one of the Elders in captivity. I am sure our combined information will fill in any holes. Shen motioned for X to hand it to Anja. Ms. Hämäläinen, please download all of the information I gathered on the other Overseers, combine it with this information, and prepare a nice data file for the good Commander. Your usual style, the kind that is so easy to navigate.

"Yes, Master Shen." Anja bowed her head, and took her leave.

Such a delightful young thing, Shen commented once she was gone. As he moved to the side of his office, he continued. You see, I found her when she was only a child. Such a pitiable thing. Her parents were killed by some ADVENT soldiers who were... too eager to do their job. I have been trying to make that up to her for fifteen years. She see me as some... grand being, far beyond approach. It is a shame, as she is the closest thing to a daughter I will ever have. He placed his hand on the wall, and an unseen hand print and DNA scanner glowing blue for a moment. I would like to share something with you, something I would like to get off my shoulders... or chest, or whatever the saying is. Mainly, what set this all in motion for me.

The wall smoothly opened, leaving a hole that looked like it had always been there. There were several odds and ends in it, though what stood out most was an Elder's mask behind a display case, like a shrine. There was something off about it to X. It took the operative a moment to realize that what was off was how old the designs were. Although grandiose to an extent, it was not nearly as elaborate in the designs the Elders had now. "Who was he?"

She was Acra’siathi. And she was... I suppose the appropriate word would be my beloved. She was set to be one of the Overseers of this world... but then the Purge happened. And her ideas of us Elders and our relationships to humanity would considered to out there at the time. Had I known they would just start... killing any one of our kind that might cause trouble to the grand designs for this world... I-I would have stopped her. Insisted on her silence. It is... ironic that much of her research was used in the Avatar project...

"Acra... I know that name. I came across it when looking up information for..."

Tien'lyssigan. He was her father.

"And he did not try to stop her execution?" X asked in surprise.

Try and stop it? He supported it! She... nothing she ever did was good enough for him, so she stopped trying to please him and followed her own path. She had come so far... but how could she ever be anything but a failure in his eyes. Still... he was her father. He should have, at the very least, hesitated. But no... his close minded following of the Path led him to support to murder his own blood.

X slowly nodded in understanding. "And it was seeing this blind faith and what it could do... that led to you to doubt you faith in the path.

Shen nodded slowly. It is surprising how ones eyes can open once they take a step back and look at what they've been doing. See the death... see the evil... Shen slowly lifted his hand and closed the display. I decided quickly that they had to be stopped. I waited for the right opportunity... and here we are. He looked over to his operative. Thank you for... for listening. It feels good to... I believe I would like to be alone now.

X nodded, and walked to the door. Looking back, the cyborg said, "I heard that you... moved Sonya and Nick to the Avenger."

It seemed a better place then here with all the bad memories and danger should the Protectorate attack again. If you... wanted to arrange a meeting, I could...

"Of course not. I was only curious." Before anything else could be said, X opened the door, and disappeared from sight once more.

Taxor_the_First

Out, Out Brief Candle: Part 1

Time Unknown
Location Unknown

The first thing Albina noticed was the sensation of having her feet being dragged across metal.

Her mind was foggy, clouded by sleep. Dimly, she was aware that her robes and mask were absent, though her modesty was preserved by what was essentially underwear. The Balmadaar carrying her, one on each side, didn’t seem to care either. And Elite strode before them, leading them deeper into the darkened corridor.

Azrael?

I’m here, Mistress. Do not give any sign of being awake. I am determining the situation.

The Inquisitor of Light obeyed, remaining limp across the hulking shock troopers’ shoulders. The position in which she was being carried was hardly dignified - her arms had been draped across their shoulders, which with her height meant her lower body was left to drag across the floor like an errant piece of cloth. Her vision was blurry, eyes unused to light. Even then it would have been hard to see - Azrael reported that the lighting in the corridor was poor.

The Elite striding behind her, footfalls punctuated by heavy thumps, precluded any attempt to break out of the hold she was in. Four brutish creatures against a barely-conscious Elder and her Reflection… Azrael sighed. I do not see a method of escape, he admitted.

… escape? Why would I need to… Albina took a moment to get her thoughts in order. Azrael, how long…?

Impossible to say. Without your awake mind, I cannot exist physically.

A pause. I’m scared.

I will protect you to the best of my ability.

Did I choose the wrong Path?

Morally? I believe not. But for your continued wellbeing…

A door ahead slid open, admitting the prisoner (for that was evidently what she was) and her four guards. The room in which they entered was massive, and devoid of any decoration bar a mass of machinery at the far end. The rest was flat, empty marble. A few Balmadaar and Priorbus were already present, standing guard near the figure standing in the centre of the room. Albina was carried to this figure, the guards hauling her stopping expectantly behind them.

Carolus turned to regard her. “Oh good, you’re awake.”

Azrael manifested immediately, gutting one of the Balmadaar with his scythe. It roared as its life ebbed away, leaving Albina to slide off the shoulders of the other rather inelegantly. The Inquisitor groggily got to her feet as the remaining soldiers primed their weapons, each one pointed directly at her.

The Arbiter chuckled. “Hold your fire,” she instructed, raising a hand. “Those garments suit you. Maybe you should have been a model or something. Might’ve stopped you from straying this far from the Path.”

The Inquisitor of Light rubbed her elbow, where she’d struck the floor. “What’s going on?” she asked.

“Consequences,” Carolus answered simply. “Hmph. Still not all there, are you? It’s fine. I’ll walk you through it.” She eyed Azrael, who was standing before his mistress uncertainly. “You see, this is exactly why putting you in an induced coma was necessary. Azrael’s range is too great for me to simply lock you up - he’d just break you out again instantly.”

“A… coma?” Albina swallowed. “How long have-?”

“Only a few weeks, I wouldn’t worry so much if I were you. Not like you missed anything you’ll care about later.” A chuckle. “In fact, you should be celebrating. Nemesis escaped me and likely killed Ordero.”

“He’s safe?” I don’t know what to think anymore, she realized. The man who killed my laʒir is now the last echo of him. Do I want him alive or dead?

Carolus sighed. “You know I can read your mind, right?” She shook her head. “Really. If you were willing to stand in the way of your Arbiter, I would have expected more conviction from you. Yet it seems you would throw your life and dignity away for the sake of an internal conflict.”

Albina glanced around. Though the further troops were out of focus, she was still able to perceive a large number of weapons still aimed at her. “I might not know what fate I wish for him,” was the admission. “But what I do know is that I don’t want him to be corrupted by you.”

“Still defiant? Tch. And I was hoping this would end with your pride intact.”

Then it seems we would have no choice but to fight our way out, Azrael stated, flourishing his scythe. If you intend to execute my Mistress, I will make you fight for the privilege.

“I would advise you not to start killing my guards, unless you want Albina to be perforated by several plasma beams at once,” Carolus warned, though her tone was bored.

“Isn’t that my fate anyway?” Albina asked. Her voice wavered slightly, but could still be described as ‘calm’.

“Not if you do as I tell you.”

The prisoner and her Reflection were silent.

“You see, the Mandate decrees that the punishment for a heretical Inquisitor is to have them hung by their entrails, and their corpse paraded through the cities.” A smirk. “But ultimately the terms of your execution - including whether or not you can escape such a fate - are up to me.”

And what would you instruct? Azrael asked warily.

“You were right,” the Arbiter stated. “I do want Umbra to myself. Weaknesses or not, it is still quite powerful in the right hands. But seeing that human personally has made me… reevaluate my perception of his strength. Individually the two might have easily exploitable weaknesses, but together they are… admittedly quite threatening. I find myself questioning whether or not I would actually be able to defeat him in one-on-one combat, let alone against a group of them like they are so fond of doing.”

She tilted her head. “I want Umbra, and its memory will ensure they come for me… but in the interim, I need some way of ensuring my victory over him. I need something… else. Something you can help me obtain. Like a Reflection.”

Albina swallowed. “... there is a wealth of supernatural sites on Earth,” she started. “Any number of them could house a being capable of becoming a Reflection.”

“Oh, still so naive? I’d almost call that adorable.” Carolus shook her head. “No, I’m not wasting my time with such a pursuit. Such beings seem to prefer humans after all, or at least those with similar views. If I am to be granted a Reflection, then I must take it from someone.”

Azrael stood between them, scythe at the ready. I would never transfer to you, he spat. Kill my Mistress, and I will transfer to one of the other creatures here. Fill their heads with the possibilities I bring them. And every one you kill, I will simply seek another.

“You think I haven’t thought about this?” the Arbiter questioned. She smirked, and waved a hand. Leave us, she commanded, and obediently the guards began filing out. A few Priorbus remained at the machinery, fiddling with it, before also taking their leave. “I’m well aware you would find the idea reprehensible. So, I’m going to give you no choice.”

I would rather dissipate than answer to your will!

“You would return to the ether from whence you came?” Carolus questioned. “Think about it. When you’re there, what then? You’d be stuck. Albina was a stroke of luck for you - someone desperate enough to turn their faith, yet knowledgeable enough of other faiths to plea for help from even one such as you. But how many others believe in you? How many others would directly call for you? Without that, you would never return.”

Carolus weighed a hand, a pool of energy forming in it. “This is your chance to earn your life again, Albina,” she said. “Prove to me that you are strong. Prove to me you’re worth keeping alive. If you fail, then I will execute you myself.”

This is hardly a fair contest! Azrael seethed. Albina may have me, but she is still waking!

“Combat is rarely fair,” was the response. “For example, I could just override her right now and win by forcing her to commit suicide.”

“Azrael would stop you,” Albina asserted.

I would like to see you try to enact such a plan, the Reflection taunted. Try it, and I will cleave your mind in two.

Carolus scoffed. “Ignoring the practical complications, I have not done this because I do respect you, Albina. You had enough backbone to stand up to me. The least I could do would be to give you a chance.” She beckoned. “Come on then. Your move.”

Though her mind was still somewhat foggy, the Inquisitor of Light acted immediately. She unleashed the same combination of psionic attacks on Carolus as she had against Samuel - blackout, followed by teleimagery and finally blink. When the Arbiter had cast off the impairment, she found herself surrounded by multiple copies of her foes. Choose your target wisely, Azrael warned. You cannot defend yourself from all angles-

Carolus merely laughed. “Of course I can,” she said, a circle in the marble around her forming as small spikes. “And you forget. Your mind is an open book to me, Albina. I see all!” She turned, targeting one of the visions, and launched a shard of rock at it.

The Inquisitor of Light was barely able to blink away before being impaled, while Azrael made to attack. Hastily created coatings of marble along her arms defended the Arbiter from his scythe’s swing, and the angel of death was forced to retreat before she took advantage of his extension. “Petty deceptions will not work on me, Albina. Try again!”

Taxor_the_First

Out, Out Brief Candle: Part 2

I don’t have much else! the Inquisitor of Light silently railed as her Reflection returned to her. What can I do? Imbue her to death? Inspire? Empathy?

I am your best shot in terms of dealing damage, Azrael readily admitted. But she’s too fast at defending herself. If you could distract her…

Taking a breath, Albina unleashed a spiraling orange thread towards her opponent, trying to use her only orange ability to focus Carolus’ attention elsewhere. Her spirits fell when the Arbiter scoffed. “Panic? You think you could panic me? Still so naive.”

Carolus once again held the pool of psionic energy in her hand. “I tire of this. Perhaps you need some more aggressive encouragement!” From the pool lept several bolts of electricity, each arcing towards the wide-eyed Albina.

Azrael protected her as best he could, but his specialty was blocking physical attacks, not acting as a lightning rod. Even the Inquisitor of Light’s attempt to blink away failed to prevent the majority of the damage seeping through to her, muscles jittering as shocks lanced up and down her nervous system. She cried out in pain and fell to one knee - in her weakened state, there was no resistance. Azrael, help me!

Seeking to stop Carolus from killing his mistress then and there, the Reflection charged directly at her, forcing the Arbiter to defend herself. And defend herself she did, re-forming her marble gauntlets. “Pathetic!” she cried as Azrael’s scythe skidded off the rock. “Without your Reflection, you’d be nothing!”

Albina shakily got to her feet, tears moistening her cheeks, in time to see more rock pulling itself from the floor and coalescing between the Arbiter’s arms. Even as the angel of death sliced away, the gauntlets became a shield, then something in another class entirely. By the time Carolus was finished, the barrier of white stone was larger than she was.

Naturally, this made it slow. Azrael wrapped around the side, intent on taking advantage of this. Grandeur will be your undoing, he stated, raising his scythe.

In response, Carolus jettisoned her protection sideways, sending it careening into Albina. “Will it?” she questioned smugly, as the Inquisitor was struck by the rock. The sound of multiple bones snapping echoed throughout the chamber, along with the owner’s own cry. Azrael faltered, the pain echoing through his connection to Albina, and thus failed to accurately punish his foe. Carolus escaped with a sizeable gash running down her torso, and also her life.

The angel of death gripped his scythe, attempting to ignore his mistress’ silence. The Arbiter chuckled, walking backwards unsteadily. “That… was a good hit,” she acknowledged. “Had I not been intending to do what I did, it might have even been a killing blow.”

Azrael’s hands tightened. She wasn’t dead, that much was obvious. You will not harm her further!

“I don’t need to. She already knows she’s lost. Don’t you, Alby?”

… kill me, Albina pleaded, unable to summon the strength to talk normally. I can’t move. I can’t fight. Just end me now.

Mistress, please-

Don’t give me that. You said it yourself - death was close.
The Inquisitor of Light tried vainly once again to move her arms, and found the action futile. Do me this mercy. Please.

Azrael hesitated. Her soul, visible to him, was dim already. She would expire eventually if no medical treatment was given, and somehow he doubted Carolus would provide that. He turned his hidden face in the Arbiter’s direction, noticing the violet blood staining her robes. … very well, he said at last, beginning the trek over to his mistress.

Carolus stopped him, however. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” she giggled. “Otherwise it might put your own fate into question.”

How so?

“I’m sure you’ve noticed these machines?” The Arbiter placed a hand on a section of glass, beneath which some kind of liquid broiled. The same area of glass was present on the other side of the device, though behind it lay empty air. “Something humanity hasn’t been able to stop is this. The throwing off of our shackles. Liberation from the lingering death sentence we all carry. The reason I fought you here was so that, no matter how much you damaged me…” She began laughing hysterically. “It wouldn’t matter! I don’t need this body anymore! It’s useless to me! Bones and flesh, all riddled with a disease only human genetics could keep at bay.”

Staggering now, head light from blood loss, she moved to the other side, pressing a button and opening the empty tank. “Simple enough to transfer me. But you? What would happen to you in the process?” Carolus raised her hands in a ‘who knows’ gesture. “I used to dabble in biology as a hobby, long before the Purge. I picked it up again for the sake of learning more about this process. But no amount of theory can answer questions on the metaphysical.”

Please…

“Wait your turn!” the Arbiter snapped. “And you, Azrael, you will wait yours as well. Lest you try to transfer to a corpse.”

Azrael was thus forced to watch as Carolus climbed inside the machine, settling herself into the compartment. “I will enter older than my years,” she said as the glass and metal closed over her, swallowing her whole. And emerge youthful once again.

The transfer was dramatic. As the whirring of machinery began, lightning danced across the various tubes and pipes. Liquid solution was pumped through, replacing that which was expended during the process. Steam rose from several vents, hissing and spitting as the heat within struggled to escape without damaging anything precious. The inner workings remained out of sight, leaving Azrael to only wonder at the technical side.

He was far more concerned with what else he was witnessing, with what only he could witness. Carolus, her soul bare to him, was snuffed out in one place, only to reappear in another. If he had blood, it would have run cold. This is an abomination, he condemned. You would cheat death in this manner? Vile. Disgusting.

If Carolus could hear him, she did not respond. But the process was soon over - the blinking lights faded, the whirring slowed to a low hum. And the liquid inside the first tank began to drain, disappearing like drink from a glass.

Then the tank hissed open, and a figure, equatable to a human female, clambered out.

The figure examined her hands disbelievingly, then began patting her torso. It worked, Carolus breathed. It worked! The Avatar Project, it worked!

Albina, able to see lying on her side, began to cry. Is this what it means to play God? she wondered, horrified. To drink from the fountain of youth?

Securing one soul by exchanging countless others, Azrael spat. But this merely delays the inevitable. A loan of lives. When the interest gets too much… death will collect.

Carolus basked in the little artificial light there was, wet white hair even now beginning to rise as if affected by static electricity, or underwater. Her face was concealed by a smooth mask, ending at the base of her chin. Modesty was conserved by a simple bodysuit, though with how tight it was little was left to the imagination anyway. By human standards, she might even have been attractive.

Abruptly, she turned her head to the broken woman and her Reflection. You may kill her now, the Arbiter commanded. And then we can start discussing your appearance. If you are to be mine, you must look the part.

Azrael growled something, but obediently turned to his crippled mistress. Albina… I failed you.

The Inquisitor of Light gave a weak chuckle. You tried, she said. We tried. And if we hadn’t… well, I would have sold my soul then, wouldn’t I? I’d be no better than her.

The angel of death placed the tip of his scythe over her chest. No, he admitted. You wouldn’t.

Azrael… is there an afterlife?

Azrael paused. … I wouldn’t know, he answered at last. I am the collector. Not the ferryman.

A grim smirk. Then collect.

He pushed down then, and Albina’beliluxr was consigned to the same abyss as her laʒir.

DarkGemini24601

XCOM Mission Parameters

Derelict Docks District, Upper New York Bay – Part of New York City
2345 Hours, February 4th, 2039 [no specific time constraints]
Eliminate the Overseer of North America

XCOM Forces

Menace 1-5

CMDR Ipiktok, Atka [Ambusher]
CAPT Nash, Kevin [Ranger]
SGT Likuga, Qamut [Enforcer]
CPL De Saint Pierre, Gwendoline [Juggernaut]
SQ Armbrüster, Ludwiga [Paramedic]
SQ Procellae, Jezebel [Banshee]
SQ Morpehus [Minotaur]
Heli-SHIV “Hatter”

Genesis Forces

Strike Zero

CMDR Walker, Desmond [Assault]
CAPT Moreau, Elise [Support]

Operation Tenax Erebus

Not much is known about Overseer Avyssos’straiga, also known as the hound of primordial darkness, Erebus. Much like the mythical beast that his title derives from, the general of the Protectorate forces in North America prefers to act from the shadows, shrouding himself from the public eye as he administrates his continent. Even Merenu’beurmas had only met him once outside of holographic meetings and dreamscape conferences – and that was a decade ago, when the new Ethereals meant to replace the Overseers purged by Vekinte’s hand were appointed by the High Commander. Even then, he was an enigma to her – and thus she had no valuable information about him.

As such, we’ll be going in with only the knowledge we have. A scouting flyover of the New York Megacity by Genesis found that there was a psionic signature concentrated in an all-but-abandoned section of shipyards, which some of the older ADVENT navy warships were created. The possible location of the target was later confirmed to be his veritable abode when no other energy in the city quite matched that of the Ethereal Overseer. The indication of his prescence was hard to find, however, meaning that he either has a means of masking incredible power – or he does not possess the sort of raw strength that Tien’lyssigan did.

Beware of potential companions. Merenu made up for any deficiencies in her potency with cloaked machines and a ferocious Elite Prowler. Any number of terrors could be lurking within the warship that Avyssos has secluded himself in.

The Skyranger invisibly touched down on an empty portion of the docks. Surrounding the dropship were monolithic stacks of empty storage crates, piled up into miniature mountains of rusted metal in piles around the cloaked ship. There was not a soul in sight. There was only a light wind blowing gently-falling snow through the air, and the occasional, far-off cry of a seagull to break the winter silence. Stepping out of the ship alongside her fellow XCOM soldiers and the two Genesis operatives that had come with the Resistance team, Atka reflected that such weather conditions would be soothing to her if she didn’t have a job to do.

“Alright, everyone,” Atka spoke up over comms in order to maintain the team’s silence. “Firebrand’s landed us a good distance away from the sparse AA batteries in this area. This part of the shipyard should only have automated defenses across the majority of its area, so we shouldn’t encounter much resistance on our way to the target ship. Stay alert, though. If the Overseer’s smart, he’ll have laid out traps along the way.”

“Wouldn’t be fun without the traps,” the Genesis leader noted as he was followed by his third in command. He looked around at the snowfall himself with a bit of disdain, once remembering a time when shoveling the stuff had been his greatest worry.

Whatever they throw at us, we will destroy. The newest XCOM operative spoke through a psionic transceiver built into his custom-made armor. Morpheus was suited up in a design not unlike the Pavise Armor that the group’s Juggernaut was currently equipped with, holding in his special derivative of the HMG that the engineering bay could offer for the awkwardly large unit.

“That’s one way to simplify it,” Kevin remarked with a chuckle.

“Well, we didn’t bring him along to be a tactician. Don’t worry about it,” Qamut responded. He glanced over at his commander. “Shall we advance, guardian spirit?”

The Inuit woman nodded. “Let’s go. No time to waste.” She placed Direwolf in her hands, and then started moving forward, activating her chameleon suit and acting as a forward scout for the squad.