RP XCOM2: Liberation of Earth

Dahlexpert

The following is a colabe between Dhalexpert & Zombiesplitter53

Growing takes time

Onboard the Avenger
The Gym

Jennifer panted heavily as she pushed, sweat glistening on her forehead. "Fffffif... teen," she tiredly said, struggling to do her assigned push ups. "H-how many... more do I... h-have to do?"

"Three more, because if I say five more I'm sure you're going to pass out. So push!" Luke yelled.

Jennifer groaned, and slowly continued. "Sixteen... ssseventeen... eight... eight... teen..." Jennifer planted heavily as she considered doing the last two. She moved down, but her arms made the choice for her, absolutely refusing to push up again. Slow she rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling, trying to catch her breath. "I-I'll do... twenty... next time..."

Luke sat next to Jennifer and put a bottle of water next to her. He put her head on his lap, and ran his hand through her hair. "Heh, you're getting stronger. You're also getting bigger. You're not as skinny anymore. Guess you must really love my cooking." Luke said, smiling at her.

Jenn chuckled. "What can I say? You're a good coach. I just hope I'm not taking up too much of the free time you could be spending with Alex."

"Oh, I have plenty of time to spend with Alexis, don't worry about it. Besides, I have to help you get in shape. Well, in better health than you were before. So you comfy being on my lap? Didn't know I was a good pillow."

Jennifer blushed, having been to put of it a moment before to realize he was coddling her. She quickly sat up and cleared her throat. "Um... th-thanks."

"Aw, look at you, you look so cute blushing. It's adorable, just like your sister. It helps that you're twins too."

"Almost twins," Jennifer corrected. "We look alike, but she is a year older. And she's a few inches taller... has a slightly bigger bust... is more athletic... and is... prettier..."

"Yeah, she is, but you're the adorable little sister." Luke patted Jennifer head. “Give yourself some credit, alright Jenn."

Jenn pouted a bit, doing a poor job of hiding her displeasure over the comment, and stood up. "We, uh... just have the legs weights left, right?"

"Yep, you're going to do leg presses. I'm going to put on twenty pounds, and to start off, give me thirteen alright? After all, we do need to work on that nice butt of yours." Luke teased.

Jennifer turned even redder as she put her cute butt on the seat, lifting her legs against the press. "Y-you shouldn't say things like that. Alex might get jealous."

"Well she's not here, and even though she's the jealous type, I don't think she'll get jealous of her sister. Then again, she did get jealous at Brigid, but I just like embarrassing you. Right honey?"

Jennifer shook her head, and started her leg presses. "Why would she... be jealous of... Brigid? Brigid is... a child. You trying to... tell me something... Luke?" she asked, trying to tease back.

"Come on, you saw Alexis after the snowball fight. She was a little jealous of Brigid. Now if I wanted to make Alexis, really jealous, I have you for that. Hell, I can just take you out of the gym, back to my room, lock the door, and kiss you." Luke teased.

"Oh, come on," Jenn said, pushing up her eighth rep. "I'm not... that gullible. We both know... you would never... do that."

"Really? Because I've been pretty good for I don't know how many months. It's been a while since I did something bad." When Jenn did her ninth rep, Luke locked the bar in place, and leaned his face close to Jeniffer. "How's this view darling?"

She smiled softly. "Pig-headed." She leaned her face up a little closer. "What are you thinking of doing right now?"

"Don't know. I could kiss you. Or the other way around, you can kiss me. But I don't think you can."

Jennifer's smile widened a bit. "You know... I'm more shy then Alex. But that doesn't mean I'm less experienced in this things." She brought her face up so her lips were inches away from his. "Would it surprise you to learn I'm more experienced then her? In... more ways then one?"

"Hmm... hehe, I like this side of you. So you're more experienced than Alexis huh? Would you care to show me, or is some kind of joke?"

"No joke." Luke could feel Jennifer's breath against his face. "Go ahead. Kiss me. Show me what a bad boy you can be. Make out with me right here."

Luke thought about it for a moment and sighed. "If I do this, you cannot tell Alexis, are we clear? And this is a onetime thing alright?"

Jennifer pulled her head back a bit. "You would actually do it, wouldn't you? Make out with your girlfriend's sister? Don't you see that as... cheating?"

"What's cheating?" Luke asks curiously.

Jennifer rolled her eyes. "Making out with someone when you're dating someone else. Don't tell me you don't understand the concept of betraying your girlfriend's trust. You know enough that you wouldn't want her to find out. How would you think she would react if she did find out?"

Luke took a deep breath and sat down. "She wouldn't like it, especially since I tried this hard to get her trust." He sighed. "Being the good guy sucks. I can't fool around. There's no sex. I have to be nice all the time." Luke rubbed his head out of frustration, and laid on his back. "I used to get women left, right, and center. Don't get me wrong, I like being the good guy, but I'm... just how do I put this?"

Dahlexpert

Part 2

"Bad at this?" Jennifer rolled off the machine and sat next to him. "Luke... Alex thinks you're totally committed. Maybe... maybe you're just not the kind of guy who is meant to be in a committed relationship. But... I'm pretty sure Alexis is. She talk about things like... like one day being a mother, and maybe marriage after the war. Of that isn't you... you should break up now instead of stringing her along. That way, you can go get any girl you want, and Alex can find someone faithful."

Jennifer can hear luke chuckling. "So she's talking about kids too huh? She's thinking about all the same things I am. Heh heh, guess we are meant to be, I do love that woman." Luke looked at Jeniffer. "So she wants to get married and have a life after the war. Thanks for telling me that Jenn. I needed to hear that."

Jennifer nodded. "You're welcome, Luke. But I don't understand. If you are thinking of those things too, then why the struggle to stay faithful. You know she won't marry you and have your children if you're lusting for other women, right?"

"What can I say old habits are hard to break, I was that person for years I'm not going to change overnight? But I'm getting there step by step, I am changing though even I can see that. Still I wish Alexis was a little more aggressive in our relationship, currently I'm the aggressive one making all sexual plays, speaking of. The he'll did you mean by you having more experience than your sister?"

Jennifer looked away. "I-I... j-just a bluff. Th-the important thing is... I-if you are serious about changing, no making out with other women, okay? Including me. In fact, especially me. Cheating on your girlfriend with her sister is just about the worse."

"Oh really? Even if said sister has a crush on me?"

Jennifer scoffed. "I don't...!" She took a deep breath. "I don't have a crush on you, Mr. Ego. I'm not jealous of Alex having you, just of... Alex having anyone... while I have no one. Okay? Happy now? Maybe I can tell you a few more secrets to humiliate myself more."

"Wait, you're jealous of your sister being with someone? Why?"

"Ugh..." Jennifer flopped to the floor facing away from him. "Because nobody wants me. They all look at my sister. She's the better one. I'm the wallflower everyone ignores." She slowly shook her head. "I'm working on it. I have a friend that is helping me be more... outgoing. But just like you, it's a work in progress."

Luke took a deep breath. "I'm only going to say this once, so listen up. You are a beautiful woman. You're just as smart, and attractive as your sister. And if no one can see that, they're morons."

"Thank you," Jennifer said softly. She slowly sat up again, and asked, "Can I... maybe give you a small suggestion about Alex?"

"Sure, I can take whatever I can get. I have a few ideas for her, but go ahead give me an suggestions."

"You said you were frustrated with the speed of how... intimate Alex is, right? Well... why not tell her the truth? Instead of leading her to believe everything is okay, why not just tell her you want to go a little faster? The worse she could do is say she doesn't want to, and you'll be in the same place. But maybe she'll say okay, and be more... aggressive, I believe is how you put it."

"I thought about that... and why not? If I had it my way... well, how I am, she could be pregnant in a few days. Well not that... I just hope nothing goes wrong."

Jennifer poked him in the arm. "Use the pills they have in the infirmary. My dad would kill you if you got her pregnant."

"I'm sure Alexis would too, but it would be nice. Seeing Alexis with a big belly, with a small Luke or Alexis running around the ship."

"I know. And you'll have your chance." Jennifer slowly stood up. "Just keep yourself alive out there, and stay loyal to Alex. You were on the edge before, but no matter how proud she acts, Alex is crazy about you again. Don't forget that."

"I won't. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find Alexis and handle this urge I have thanks to you."

Jennifer smiled and nodded. "Okay. I'll finish up my workout."

"Alright just don't go overboard alright."

Jennifer nodded, climbing back on the leg press. "I won't. I promise."

Luke left the gym to think about what Jennifer said. "Right, what's the worst that can happen?"

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
"New Friends" Part One (MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601)

Somewhere Over Antarctica
1321 Hours, September 23nd, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 4, Port Wing
Gymnasium B

Leon wrapped his hands in pale colored tape, looking across from him at the teen who was putting on the sparring gloves he would be practicing against. Leonardo himself looked nervous but there was an air of confidence about him. He couldn’t put his finger on it. “You sure you have the poise to do this?” The Grenadier taunted the non-combatant.

The Italian boy rolled his eyes, holding up the targets on his hands and bracing his legs. “I am not a wimp. Now come on, I promised I would help so I will.”

“Your funeral.” Leon sighed as he moved forward, swinging a right hook.

Isabelle took the hit and smirked at the young soldier who stood before her shirtless, she herself without a shirt but with a sports bra. “Come on Sinclair. Better than that. Put some force into it for Christ’s sake.”

The blonde hair freedom fighter gritted his teeth and moved in, jabbing two quick times with his left hand before going in for a strong right strike.

“Come on, all you have to do is move me back five feet. If you can do that, I will let you help me work on my bike later.” Izzy noted as a hint of inspiration and Leon hit harder, moving faster.

“See Leon, I am not so weak as to give up on a few punches.” Leonardo declared proudly, moving with his strikes and blocking them with ease.

Trying to switch things up, Leon feinted a jab to the gut and when his partner went to protect his torso and lower body, the Canadian man went for the head. That was something Leo just barely was able to duck under.

Isabelle jabbed Leon’s hands a few times, a stern look of a teacher in the middle of a lesson being what plastered her facial features. “Like this you dope. See how I am doing it? Feel it? That’s what you need to go for. You can’t keep acting weak because you are scared I will retaliate. I thought that grandfather you blabbed about so much taught you better then this…”

“I’m not going out that easily!” Leo declared proudly, sending his own jabs at Leon now who held up his arms to block, the Grenadier’s look becoming quickly concerned, a small bead of sweat falling down his head.

“Come on Sinclair, faster!” Izzy chastised, knocking away hit after hit. “More. Show me why you are a part of the Reapers.”

Leon sent out several hard jabs into Isabelle’s hands and ducked low under her swing, sending a solid hit into the woman’s side. She recoiled and he continued the assault. Right, left, left, right into the side. Leon gulped in air as he punched Isabelle hard in the stomach, dropping her to the ground.

Leo rolled on the ground, finding it hard to breath as Leon stood over him breathing heavily before reality finally hit him, and he blinked several times, quickly kneeling down. “Shit. Leo, I’m so sorry…” Pulling the teen up, the Sergeant tried to get the Italian boy to calm himself and eventually he could get his breaths under control. “Leo I-”

He pushed away from him, quickly getting up and slowly making his way away from Leon to leave the gym, holding his stomach as he hobbled slightly away in anger. Leon stood in silence for several moments, rubbing his forehead and ran it over his hair, walking out of the ring where their practice had taken place. He walked past an unoccupied punching bag and the Grenadier decided to give it a much needed hit of frustration as he sat on a bench, rubbing his entire face now in disappointment aimed at his own self.

After a minute or two, the sound of footsteps approached Leon, and then the faint clattering against the metal floor ceased as the man who approached him stood still. “You look hung up on something,” a man with a faint Slavic accent remarked.

“Hm? What gave that little fact away?” Leon asked without looking up, letting out a deep sigh as he wished to be as evasive as possible to the voice he never heard, or the person it belonged to.

This elicited a sigh. “That response only heightens my curiosity, you know.” There was a bark from the side. “Did I ask for your opinion? No, didn’t think so,” the man said to his dog.

The bark alone was enough to draw Leon’s gaze reflexively, the Grenadier looking up at the man and his companion. “Never really seen you or him here before. Who are you?”

“Fairly new recruit, part of that influx of Serbs XCOM received from S.I.N.,” Tomislav answered. “Corporal Tomislav Kasun,” he introduced himself. “The jackass at my side is Magarac.”

“Didn’t know they let pets on the ship.” Leon mumbled more to himself, standing out of some sort of respect and held out his hand. “Sergeant Leon Sinclair. Been here since the first wave of enlistees.”

“Sinclair, huh? I’ve seen you on the news before. You were one of those monstrous arsonists that destroyed the statue in Caldera,” Tomislav noted in a tone mocking the Coalition. “Nice to meet you,” Tom spoke earnestly, shaking his superior officer’s hand.

“To answer your question more clearly, I went a little hard on my friend when it was supposed to be lightweight sparring. Not his fault. My own.” Shaking his head, the Canadian man looked down at his hand and closed his eyes. “Old memories.”

“Sounds like an accident to me. Wouldn’t get too hung up, if your friend’s mad he’ll get over it,” Tomislav noted with a relaxed tone. “If it helps, you can talk about the past with me. I don’t go around sharing people’s personal stories… unless they happen to be ex-girlfriends,” he amended with a brief chuckle.

“No actual exs for me yet. Yet.” Leon noted the last word in a very light murmur. “Just a memory training with an old friend of mine. She taught me hand to hand. Pushed me past my limits, and I have no idea where she is or if she is even still alive. I’ve been told I tend to live in the past. Guess the pain of loss doesn’t subside as easily as I would like.”

Tomislav sighed. “If she was important to you, hold onto her memory. Nothing wrong with that.” He gazed up at the ceiling for a moment. “My mother was the only family I ever knew, and she stuck with me even when I joined the Resistance. She’s been gone for three years now - died of age, not combat wounds, thank God - and there’s still a hole in my heart I doubt I’ll ever fill. That’s just how it is with love. You gain something special while the object of your affection is around, but you pay for it when that person’s gone.”

“Almost makes you wonder if the end result of all love is eventual pain.” Leon rubbed his hand roughly, trying to work out a sore but just seemed to make it worse. “I’ve lost my mother, my father, grandmother, my best friends, squadmates, and an entire settlement… you’d think I’d be used to this bullshit by now, huh? And now I am slowly becoming one of the Avenger’s officers. It is practically a job requirement to be callous to losses. You ready for that?”

“I can deal with it,” Tomislav responded simply. There was another bark from Magarac. “Shut up,” he responded, not sharing what he imagined the dog was saying this time. “I’ve been doing this for nine years. You never get over the pain of loss, but you learn to live with it.” I have my way of coping, but I don’t think that’ll work for you, Tom thought to himself. “You have to accept the fact that people are going to die, but don’t spend your time dreading it. Don’t give the grim reaper the courtesy of paying him undue attention. Enjoy the time you have with those close to you, so that when it runs out you can say that at least you made the most of what you were given.”

“If only you knew the irony of that grim reaper comment,” Leon told Tomislav cryptically. “This is stuff I’ve figured out before. Guess it just helps to make sure I am not completely insane in my thinking over the years.” Rubbing his eyes, Leon moved a hand close to the dog to gauge its response.

It didn’t mind being petted by him, though Tomislav muttered something to the tune of, ‘typical traitor’ under his breath.

“How long have you two been together?” Leon asked the Slavic man, standing up and turning his head to look at Tom.

“Funny way of phrasing that,” Tom commented. “I’ve had him for two years.”

“Never owned a pet before. I had my sister but calling her a pet would be too harsh. If not a little funny.” The Canadian man noted with a shrug of his shoulders.

“So you have some family left at least,” Tomislav noted. “Lucky,” he added with mock-sarcasm meant to lighten the mood further.

“We could trade.” Leon continued further, giving a small smirk to the man.

“She’s that much of a pain in the ass, huh? Maybe she’d get along with Vera,” Tom remarked with a chuckle.

“Maybe. They’ll have to meet sometime. Just when they do, we need to be miles away. The world might end.” The Grenadier held out a hand to Tom, adding, “Maybe it will be something to look forward to.”

“Perhaps.” Tomislav shook his superior officer’s hand. “I think we’ll get along well,’ he decided.

“Of course. Though just know now, try to outdo me and I will take you down new guy.” The Canadian man said as a vague threat.

“I can’t make any promises on that front,” the Harrier replied with a shrug.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Part Two

“I know a bit of human competition is normal but I believe this seems to have come out of nowhere.” A young voice noted on Leon’s shoulder, looking over Tom and his dog as he swung his legs back and forth as they were suspended.

Magarac barked at the unnatural sight, requiring Tomislav to flick him on the head to calm him down. “What in the world are you?” Tomislav questioned, leaning forward to scrutinize the holographic being.

The artificial being shrunk back a bit and let out a nervous laugh, “M-My name is Psyma and I am Leon’s A.I. companion. I am sort of the reason you can’t win.” He added, looking to Leon and shifting his body a bit.

Tom crossed his arms, returning to a normal posture. “Where can I get one of those? This doesn’t seem remotely fair,” he spoke with an amused tone.

“O-Oh. U-Unfortunately there is not a lot of… us. And the others are taken.” The little A.I. noted, looking off to the side. “Besides, I am a lot of work, and Leon has proven himself to be capable enough. And you seem to already have a companion.”

“He’s not the same as an artificial intelligence though… just a dumb mutt,” Tomislav retorted with a roll of his eyes.

“From what I know of canines Mr. Tomislav, that statement is quite inaccurate. Maybe you should try a feline instead if results are not properly met.” The being suggested honestly and sincerely.

Tomislav shook his head. “I hate animals in general. Wouldn’t make much of a difference one way or another, though I do dislike Magarac in particular.” The Dalmatien seemed indifferent to Tom’s insults, if he understood them.

“But… but…” Psyma dimmed in color and looked down, crossing his arms over himself as if cold.

“It’s alright buddy. No need to feel so down.” Leon assured the ‘little kid’.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to throw him out into the streets… I keep him around despite our mutual distaste for one another,” the Serbian stated.

“That… does not make me feel much better…” Psyma told the man sadly.

“Uh… look Tom, Psyma is a pretty neat A.I. but he has his quirks. Negativity is one of them. He doesn’t know how to properly handle it and shuts down like this. It isn’t really anything to do with you guys.”

Tomislav rubbed the back of his neck. “I can see that. Look, the reason that I have Maga around is because I think it’s the right thing to do. I never wanted a pet, but when I found the poor guy in an abandoned town, I figured it wouldn’t be right to just leave him out there to starve.”

“I see.” The A.I. said, forming a small smile. “That was noble of you. Many would not have done such things.” His color slowly began returning.

“Don’t give me too much credit. That’s just how my mother raised me,” Tomislav replied humbly.

“Then I will give the credit to your mother. Where would she happen to be?” Psyma asked, Leon waving a hand through his body. “Hey! What gives Leon!? You know that feels weird!” The look he got made Psyma quietly look to the Slavic man again. “Oh… right. You said you… had no family…”

Tomislav nodded. “Yeah. It’s alright,” he insisted, offering a relaxed smile. “I’m not going to start moping at the mere mention of it.”

“Okay. I still would like to express how sorry I am for mentioning it.” Psyma bowed his head and kept it hanging low.

“Like he said, it’s alright buddy. Anyways, me and you should probably head out. There are things we need to attend to and not a lot of time lately to do them. We’ll see you around, right?” Sinclair asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yep. Good luck with all of that,” Tomislav replied with a nod. “Hope I helped.”

DarkGemini24601

“Shadow of Guilt” – Part 1

Ronne-Filchner Ice Shelf, Antarctica
1912 Hours, Hours, September 24th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Level 6, Port Wing
Broadsides Cortex

A faint electronic buzz permeated the circular-shaped room, rather consistent in its monotone drone save for the occasional skip above the otherwise-constant octave. I feel sick, thought the woman sitting surrounded by the crowd of monitors and CPUs that produced the underlying noise of the artillery control room. Queasy, her train of thought continued, prompting the soldier to clench her black-gloved hands around the arms of the chair. Tumultuous, the Algonquian-Caucasian began to rattle off. Empty. Her knuckles blanched. Disgusted. As did her face whiten. Like I’m about to throw up.

The reason? I can’t get the image out of my head. Christine’s body, filled with gaping exit wounds dug open by magnetic-propelled rounds, with the bloodied bullets dropping streaks and chunks of crimson down the interior back of her Reflection. The sounds, oh God, the sounds.The brief, strangled cry of someone killed with only a fraction of a second to realize their imminent doom nearly drowned out by the thunder of gunfire. The smells. Smoke, blood, and death. And every time –

Every single time she thought about it, Olivia was consumed by regret, guilt, and the wish that she could have saved Christine. Summoned by this desire, the broken form of Pavise appeared presently. No, please! Olivia pleaded. Not ag–

But it was too late. The battered body of Pavise made all of the memories come alive again. Olivia was back on the icy battlefield, Christine standing protectively in front of her injured friend. The Ambusher could only helplessly watch as Christine was ripped to pieces in front of her via a volley from ADVENT. The fallen Specialist’s Reflection tore away from its freshly-dead master, and – in both the past and present – was recalled to its tormented user.

Olivia covered her face with her hands as tears uncontrollably streamed down. Choking sobs rendered her throat dry even as her hands became wet from her wailing. Terror and horror had left the Ambusher a wreck. No matter how hard she had tried, nothing helped. Socializing now was only awkward for her and depressing for others. Isolation only opened up the opportunity for her mind to drift and the flashbacks to inevitably occur.

At least this way only I’m miserable, the soldier thought to herself, once she had gathered her sensibilities enough to form a coherent sentence in her head. However, the acknowledgement that this was the best scenario brought bitter tears, prolonging Olivia’s misery. Why me – no, selfish! Olivia coughed from emotional exertion. Why Christine – why?! “Why?!” she hoarsely screamed out. “Damn ADVENT to hell! Damn everyone! Damn God himself!” Olivia desperately continued, rising in intensity until she was breathless. Gulping in air, she concluded, “damn me… damn my pathetic weakness.”

Similar self-loathing and prolonged stretches of emotional illness plagued Olivia for a long span of time. She wasn’t sure how long. At some point the agonized anguish was too much, and Olivia slipped into unconsciousness. She didn’t dream. There was only blissful oblivion. Unfortunately, that escape was apprehended by a series of bangs on the door. As sweet blackness gave way to garish white, a voice accompanied the unwelcome interruption.

“Hello? Olivia? Are you in there?”

Stacie. Olivia gave serious thought towards feigning absence from the room. But as the Gunslinger repeated her plea, the Ambusher was given pause.

“Olivia! Please, come on, where are you?” Stacie cried out desperately.

I can’t let her worry. Olivia languidly shot up from her chair, and lazily rushed to the door and unlocked it. Slowly swinging it open, Olivia put on a false smile, and said, “Hey Stacie,”

Before Olivia could finish, Stacie captured her friend in a tight embrace. “Oh, God, I was so worried…”

“W-what for?” Stacie protested, trying to play it off.

“You were gone for hours! You promised to have a drink with me hours ago,” Stacie responded fearfully.

Oh, right, Olivia thought distantly. I did, didn’t I? “Sorry, I just dozed off…”

“I’ve been looking for you for hours more,” Stacie continued. “I thought… I was afraid you might have hurt yourself.”

“What the hell gave you that idea?” Olivia abruptly snapped. Wait, I didn’t mean that, she immediately regretted, surprised by herself.

Stacie seemed equally taken aback. “B-because of stuff like this… you’ve been under a lot of stress, been through a lot of pain–”

“I-I just didn’t get enough sleep, that’s–”

“You just said you dozed off,” Stacie interrupted, her brow furrowing further. “Olivia, please, talk to me. Don’t lie for my sake, it doesn’t help me like you might think it does.”

Caught in a lie, with nowhere to hide, Olivia was left speechless. I want her to go away. I want this situation to go away. I want myself to go away. Suicide? That doesn’t sound so –

“Come on,” Stacie interrupted Olivia’s stormy thoughts. “I’m still up for getting a drink, and I won’t take no for an answer now.” Some alchohol should procure the truth of what’s going on with you.

Unable to muster the strength or an excuse to resist, Olivia reluctantly followed her friend to the bar. Stacie didn’t trouble her with further conversation along the way, merely guiding Olivia with silent determination through the empty halls of the Avenger. The lights were dimmed, and everything seemed to share the gloom surrounding the Ambusher. Olivia dimly perceived that it must be late in the night, and this suspicion was confirmed by how empty the bar was when they got to it. Stacie directed Olivia to a booth table while the Gunslinger retrieved some alcohol.

DarkGemini24601

“Shadow of Guilt” – Part 2

The light above the table was still not working correctly. It flickered slowly, sadly, sordidly. The bulb was new and had been replaced by one of the maintenance staff. Yet, something was wrong with another portion of the wiring this time. Perhaps it needed to be replaced, or perhaps it should just be ripped out completely and be given up on. The latter way was how Olivia saw it as she waited for Stacie to return from behind the bar.

Why wasn’t it me? the Canadian soldier felt she had to ask herself. I was already happy. Now I’m miserable. Christine never got the chance to be truly happy. And now it’s been torn away from her forever. As she pondered these thoughts, Olivia’s head sunk further, until she had it buried between her arms - the limbs resting uselessly on the table. What does it matter anymore…

Again breaking her from her dour thoughts, Stacie set down a large bottle of bourbon down for a moment. Placing a pair of glasses on either side of the table, she proceeded to fill both of them up to the brim with the liquor, and then sat down and begin to drink. Olivia didn’t immediately comply. “Come on. Drink,” Stacie ordered, her stalwart tone leaving little choice to her companion. Stacie didn’t press Olivia further as her friend began to down some of her glass. She continued to remain silent until Olivia had gone through half of the glass. Then, she began by asking, “feel any better?”

“Not really,” Olivia responded, a slight slur forming that indicated the alcohol was having an effect.

The purpose of her initial inquiry largely satisfied, Stacie began digging deeper. “So why were you holed up in that room? I imagine you weren’t planning on doing any bombardments or shooting ships out of the sky.”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Olivia still stubbornly protested. Trying to shift the topic, she complained, “that damn light won’t stop flickering off and on… damn it’s annoying…”

“I’ll fix it then,” Stacie responded. The Gunslinger pushed Olivia’s drink a bit closer to the Ambusher, and then removed her own from the fray so that she might climb up onto the table. Retrieving a few small tools, Stacie removed the lightbulb – casting the booth into darkness – and flipped on a small flashlight to take a look inside the cavity.

“I don’t see what the big deal is. I’m fine, I just…”

“No more stupid excuses. I want to know what’s going on. You’re worrying the hell out of me, you know?” Stacie pointed out, glancing down at Olivia for a moment. “Don’t do this to me. She did the same, and–”

“Don’t you dare bring up Christine!” Olivia cried out suddenly, lurching forward. She attempted to strike one of Stacie’s legs, but the part-time mechanic deftly stepped back.

“You want the light fixed or not?” Stacie said darkly in warning.

“S-sorry,” Olivia responded, her anger evaporating into melancholy again.

“Tell me what’s going on,” Stacie repeated herself, looking back up. “I can figure out this thing… but I can’t figure out you if you don’t tell me anything.”

“I-I…” Olivia looked away, covering her eyes with a hand. “I really don’t…”

“Olivia, please!” Stacie pleaded, returning her eyes to her comrade. “You’re practically my best friend, and I can’t stand to see you like this. Let me in! Let me help you, for God’s sake!”

Olivia slowly looked back up at Stacie. “Why… why do you think so highly of me? She died because of me… because I wasn’t good enough.”

There was a flurry of sparks, and then with a nod Stacie began to screw the lightbulb back in. “It’s alright to be sad that’s she’s gone… I’m going to miss the hell out of her. I was always telling her not to worry about me, that I’d never die on her… that she’d be able to pursue her dreams…” The Gunslinger took in a shuddering, longing breath. “And now she’s gone forever. It’s awful. But the blame lies on no one else but our enemies… her death isn’t on you, and will never be. I’m not saying I agree with her decision – if it were me, I’d probably be wishing I had died in her place…”

“Y-you too, huh…”

Stacie offered an empathic look to Olivia. “But. She made her choice. She chose to die for your sake. Don’t waste the life she handed to you.” The bulb was affixed to the now-repaired wiring, and a glow resounded from it, cloaking the booth in shimmering, golden light. The faces of the two Mavericks were illuminated, and the shadows cast dipped behind them. “If you feel guilty, then wash that guilt away by making the best of your situation. Live and breathe… and you’ll have redeemed yourself of failings, real or imagined.”

“I-I…” Olivia cast her gaze downward. “I can understand that… I want to be able to do that… but…” Tears streamed down her cheeks. “Every time I think of her… every time I look towards the past… even when I accidentally think about it… the memories all come flooding back. The horror, the pain, the death… all of it torments me without end! I’m so pathetic that I can’t move on, even if I might think I want to!”

Stacie stepped down off the table, and onto the cushion next to Olivia. “What you’re describing… are you relieving the memories in full?” A shaky nod. “That’s… that’s nothing to be ashamed of, Olivia.” Stacie embraced her tightly. “Flashbacks… don’t you understand what that means?” the Gunslinger asked with paling features. “You’re suffering from PTSD, Olivia.”

“I…I am?” Olivia questioned, though she began to make sense of her condition by the pronunciation of it from another. “So that’s why… whenever I see Pavise, or I recollect strongly, I…”

“Yeah. I’m… I’m so sorry, Olivia…” It was Stacie’s turn to form tears. “I… I should have realized how bad off you were… before you got this bad.”

“I was the one that hid myself away…”

Stacie shook her head, taking on a resolute expression. She had to be strong. “It doesn’t matter.”

“What?” Olivia questioned, confused.

“It doesn’t matter. You heard me. Let’s stop obsessing about blame… thinking about the past doesn’t bring changes upon it. Questioning what we should have done doesn’t mean jack shit. We need to take care of the present, and be wary of the future. That’s all. Like I said before, let’s keep moving forward. That’s the best we can do to honor her sacrifice,” Stacie determined confidently.

“It… it won’t be as easy as you make it sound,” Olivia pointed out sadly.

“No, it won’t. I won’t sugarcoat it. But we’ve got to try. We’ve got to take it one step at a time. Then, if we’re still suffering, at least we can say we didn’t just give up and spit on Christine’s grave, alright?” Stacie asked, seeking confirmation. “

“That’s a crude way of putting it… b-but okay.” Olivia nodded, wiping away some of her tears. “Okay.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
Patience Rewarded
Part One

Alexis huffed as she stepped into her room after her short shift practicing her biokinesis in the infirmary, which had immediately followed her shift in engineering. She wasn't tired physically, just a bit worn out mentally. "All work and no play makes Alex a dull girl," she mumbled to herself, wondering how it felt to just be a soldier without having to do anything else but train like some others here.

She thought about the gym, but on the rare occasion, she felt too lazy for that. She wanted to enjoy herself in a way that didn't leave her arms and legs screaming for relief. Maybe Yakone was available now that she was out of her solitude. Maybe she could convince Jennifer to skip out of work early. Maybe Luke...

Luke stood outside Alexis' room, and for the first time in his life, he was nervous. Alright Luke, just get in there, and talk to her. Sigh, why am I so nervous? Come on Luke, just get in there, and talk to her. Hopefully she's home. Luke knocked on the door." Yo, Alexis. It's Luke, are you in there?"

Alex opened the door a few seconds later with a smile. "Hey, Luke. Funny. I was just thinking about you."

"I got you thinking about me huh?" Luke's smile faded. "Hmm... Alexis, I.... I need to talk to you about something," he said, hesitating.

Alexis looked worried, and held the door open for him. "Sure. Come on in."

Luke entered the room and locked the door. Don't want any disturbances this time. He sat down next to Alexis. "Alright hon. Alexis, I need to talk to you about something."

"Right, right. I got that. Is there something wrong? Something... about us?"

"You could say that." Luke took a deep breath. "Alright, Alexis I... I want you to be more aggressive in our relationship."

Alexis let out a short, confused laugh. "You what? Want me to... I-I don't understand what that means. You want me to, like... hit you and stuff?"

"No woman, goddammit. By aggressive I mean I want you to... hell, tease me like you did before. I know you're nervous about going too far with me because you don't know what to do." Like sighed. "What I'm trying to say, honey, is I want to go a farther in our relationship."

"Oh? Oh..." Alexis' eyes widened a bit. "Oooooh. I see. Um... h- how long have you felt like... we've been going too slow?"

"Since I was last in this room, and I did what I did to you. Won't lie, ever since then, I've been wanting more Alexis. But I didn't say anything because I'm not sure how you would take it if it was just me being the aggressive one."

"That... that was a while ago, huh? All this time, you've been... holding it in..." Alexis moved a hair away from her eyes. "You must have been really frustrated with me. Must have thought I'm a prude. I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Look Alexis, I know you this is your first relationship. Hell, it's mine too. I mean, if this was the old me, I would have just taken you and got it over with a long time ago. But I'm glad I've been holding myself back a bit. I never had to wait before. I just took what I wanted." Luke brought Alexis close to him. "Look, I don't say this enough, but I love you. I love you so much. That's why I was okay waiting."

"Well, I appreciate your patience. And I'm glad to hear I've had such a good influence on you." Alexis took a deep breath and smiled. "Maybe it is about time I reward you for your patience."

"Darling, I'm not going to force you here. If you want to, fine. But know I might not be able to hold myself back if we do."

Alexis took a few more deep breaths, thinking. Finally, she reached into the drawer next to her bed, rummaging around and finally pulling out a small pill. "I, um... I picked this up about a week ago... just in case I needed it."

"You... Heh heh, what a coincidence." Luke reached into his pocket and pulled out a small pill. "It would seem we both think alike. I got this one yesterday just in case."

Alexis's smile widened a bit, and she popped her pill, swallowing it. "You hold onto that. Better if I don't have one here where my dad can find it, and... we'll need more then one."

"Well then, I'm starting to like this side of you, Alexis. It kinda suits you." Luke embraced her and started to kiss her.

She kissed him back, holding his shoulders tightly. She closed her eyes, and tried to let herself relax and simply enjoy his touch.

Luke stopped kissing Alexis and lifted her shirt. "I know we have plenty of time today. After all, your dad and sister are working, and everyone else should be ether training or eating. But try not to make too much noise darling."

Alex nodded. "I'll try. Um... you'll have to walk me through this so I don't do something stupid."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
Patience Rewarded
Part Two

"Of course, but first I want to make you feel good again." Luke started to rub between her legs. "You could do the same to me too darling."

"O-okay." Alexis nervously unbuttoned his pants and reached inside. "Oh... I-I see you're... built to scale," she mumbled, slowly rubbing him.

Luke softly hummed. "It's been a while since this happened, forgot how good it felt." He kissed Alexis, and started to rub her faster. "Just to let you know darling,I don't plan on losing to a virgin, but so far your not doing bad. Just stay relaxed alright? And have some fun."

Alexis panted softly, sweat forming on her brow. "Not if you.. want to turn this into a... competition." She started moving faster herself, using both hands. "You know how... competitive I am."

Luke started to breath heavily. "Oh, I know.. just how competitive you are." Luke took off Alexis bra and started to suck her breast. "That's why I said what I said."

Alexis tried her best to keep up with Luke, but she lacked the experience and stamina. After a couple of minutes, she started to slow down, and her panting quickly turned to soft moaning. "Luke... I'm... I'm gonna..."

"It's okay darling, go nuts. I want to enjoy this. And this won't be the first one today."

After a few more moments, Alex cried out (a tad loudly), squeezing her legs together as her whole body shook. She placed her hands on Luke's shoulders for support, breathing heavily. "Not... fair. I wanted... to make you... feel good."

Luke knew what could make him feel good, but he wasn't sure if she wasn't going to like it. He laid Alexis on the bed, and flipped her around to were face was near his crotch and vise versa. "Well Alexis, you want to return the favor, try licking me there. And please don't bite."

Alexis blushed fiercely, and gulped. She took a deep breath, and leaned her head up, slowly licking him like a popsicle.

Alexis could hear a small moan coming from Luke."That's the way darling, Just like that...Well then...Since this is in front of me." Luke started to Lick Alexis.

Alexis squeezed her eyes shut, squirming a bit. She licked him for a bit longer before going to the next thing you do with a popsicle; put it in your mouth and suck it.

Alexis could hear a loud moan from Luke. "Darling...please watch the teeth, that's still me attached to it." Luke started to Lick her faster and started to put his fingers into her.

"Mmm!" Alexis did as he asked, and started moving faster herself. As she did so, Luke grew bigger, and next thing she knew she was gagging a bit, but didn't give up.

Damn it, it's been too long since this happen to me.
"Alexis not so fast... I'm... I'm gonna..." Luke ejaculated into Alexis' mouth.

Alexis gagged as it poured down her throat. She pulled her head back, hacking and coughing. "Ugh... that was... ugh..."

"Sorry darling, it just felt a little too good. I'm shocked actually. You were pretty good."

Alexis cough again. "Thanks. I-I tried." She bit her lip. "Do want to... you know..." She took a moment to remember what he said about being more aggressive and said, "I-I want to do the... the main thing now. You know... real guy-girl s-sex."

Luke patted Alexis head." You look so cute daring. Alright then." Luke pick up Alexis and gently laid her across the bed. Slipping out of his clothes, and helping Alex with hers, he said, "You know, you won't get your v card back when I do this right."

"Really? I thought I could just buy one at the corner store." Alexis stroked his cheek. "Of course I know. And it's okay. I want it to be with you. I just hope I can... stack up to other girls."

"Oh, you're already better then them. For one, I didn't love them. And two, I was willing to wait for you." Luke slowly started to enter Alexis. "This might hurt a bit, but I will try to be gentle."

"Uh huh... I-I'm ready." Alex gripped the bed sheets, readying herself.

Luke put the tip of his lower half into Alexis, and slow went further into her. Luke hugged Alexis to comfort her just a little, until he final thrust himself into Alexis.

Alexis held a hand over her mouth as she cried out, squeezing her eyes shut as a couple tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Sorry honey, but the first time always hurts, but congratulations. You lost your virginity. So I'm going to move now." Luke started to move slowly.

Alexis breathed heavily as she weathered the pain. She tried to think of something else to distract herself, but soon her mind came back to the moment. The pain started to fade away, and in its place was pleasure. She started to relax, and was soon breathless for a whole other reason.

Luke continued to move and he started to kiss Alexis. While kissing her, Luke put his tongue into her mouth, enjoying her taste. He also started to fondle her breast, fully enjoying her body.

Alexis went along with everything, too enraptured to form much in the way of complex thoughts. She just knew she was enjoying herself, and she wanted more. She kissed him back, lovingly at first, then passionately. She started moaning, trying to remember to keep her voice down, but not doing the best at it as she moved with him, trying to take him in as much as possible.

So this is what I get for being patient. This is sex with the woman I love. I can't describe it, to not have to force her to do this... for her go do this willingly.
Luke stopped kissing Alexis."Alexis... I love you."

"I... love you... too." Alexis tightened around him as another orgasm thundered through her, but she kept moving. She looked into his eyes, and despite the turmoil of their thrusts, she could still gently place her hands on his cheeks and give him the smile of one who wanted him by her side forever,

Luke look at Alexis, his heart skipping a beat. This woman... I don't know what I did to deserve her, but if all the terrible things I've done led me to her... Whoever is looking out for me, thanks. Luke started thrust fast. "Alexis I'm going to..."

Alex nodded. "Go ahead. I want ever part of you. Do it."

This woman. "Alright honey, fine, but don't blame me if that pill doesn't work." Luke thrust faster until he climaxed inside Alexis.

Alexis experienced her third climax herself, holding Luke tightly until her strength gave out. She collapsed back, not even realizing she had arched half her body in the air until it was over. She laid there, sweating, panting, her mind swirling, a big smile on her face. "Wow..."

Luke embraced Alexis and held her tightly, also sweating and panting." Yeah. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Alexis."

"Did... you?" Alexis slowly lifted her arms and ran her hands slowly across his back. "I mean... I was just, like... laying here. Pretty boring. I tried to add a little. I just hope it was good for you too."

"It was great Alexis. You know you were great. Better than any one before you."

"Thank you, Luke." Alexis sighed contently, and with a laugh, asked, "So... want to do it again?"

"Is that a question? Although I'm a little out of it. Mind getting it back up again?"

Alexis giggled, and crawled to the foot of the bed, taking him into her mouth again and getting to work, showing she was a faster learner.

A soft moan came from Luke. "Easy girl, I'm a little sensitive."

Black0ut

Black0ut & ZombieSplitter53 Present:
New Circumstances

The hallways around Morrigan's room were silent, if only for a moment, before Red walked, albeit slowly towards her door, dressed in far nicer clothes than he typically wore, causing the Oglala Sioux to look nearly formal with his attire. It's ok... Calm down, Red... you're just asking her on a date... She won't mind the sudden and probably rude intrusion on whatever she might be doing... Yeah... I'm going to fuck this up, aren't I? Red thought nervously as he approached her door, and knocked softly at first, before knocking once more a little harder.

The door opened, but it wasn't Morrigan that opened it, but one of the last people Mark might have expected. It was Jack, someone he had worked with sparringly in engineering but otherwise hardly interacted with. "Red Hawk, right?" Jack asked, a little loudly to be heard over the sound of the violin playing behind her.

Red was stupefied by Jack's presence in Morrigan's room, but quickly shrugged off his surprise. "Yeah. Your name's Jack, if memory serves. Is Morrigan in?" Red asked nonchalantly, his inner thoughts full of confusion and mild worry.

"No, she had to run a few errands." Jack looked Red up and down. "Oh... I see." He looked back in the room. "Keep practicing." He stepped out into the hall and closed the door. "I'm guessing the rumors of you and Morrigan spending a lot of time together are true... which means you're probably wondering what the hell I'm doing in her room, huh?"

"Yeah. I assume that you're here either for work, or for Brigid, as she's playing her instrument." Red observed, frowning at Jack, as he patiently waited for the Engineer to explain himself.

Jack gave him a small smile. "Right on the second count. I act as Brigid's tutor. She needed someone to reach her math, history, and the like, and... well, I'm not exactly a teacher, but I can read an old textbook pretty fast. Today we were practicing her violin playing."

"I see." Red responded, his voice rigid, but his posture relaxing, "Mind if I come in? I haven't heard Brigid play the violin before, but I hear she's amazing."

Jack nodded. "Yeah. In fact... you mind taking over? I... just remembered I have something important to do. Totally forgot about it. You'd be doing me a huge favor."

Red raised an eyebrow, but nodded, "Sure. I mean, what are fellow engineers for?" The Specialist replied.

"Right." Jack placed a hand on his shoulder. "Enjoy yourself. After all, a great way to get on your girlfriend's good side is to get on her daughter's good side, right?"

"Right. Take care, Jack." Red replied, his demeanor lightening once more. After shutting the door once Jack left, Red moved over to Brigid, and asked curiously. "Hello, Brigid. What are you doing?"

Brigid looked over her shoulder and smiled. "Mr. Hawk! It's good to see you!" She turned around and held up her instrument. "I'm practicing! I gotta play every other day to get better."

Red smiled, this brief moment causing the Specialist joy. "That's true. And I hear you're amazing at playing violin."

Brigid shrugged. "I-I'm okay. Do you..." Brigid looked past him and blinked a few times. "Um... where did Mr. Irons go?"

"He stepped out for a moment, 'cause he had to do something important. For the moment, I'll be filling in for him." Red explained, before gesturing at her violin. "I'm sorry if I'm interrupting, but do continue to practice."

"O-okay!" Brigid lifted her now to the string, playing a single note. She paused, however, and looked down sadly. "What if... it doesn't sound good. I'm n-no used to play f-for I my one person. What if... you don't like it?"

Red walked over to Brigid and kneeled to her level, "It wouldn't matter. It only matters how you view it. Besides, from what I hear, You're amazing regardless" Red replied charismatically, hoping to cheer Brigid up.

Brigid smiled. "Okay, Mr. Hawk. Thank you." She took a deep breath, and placed her now in place once more. She played a soothing piece, something she had learned during her time living in the Megacity. It might have been born in a place of wickedness, but it was none the less a beautiful peace. Despite her worries, Brigid played it flawlessly, or at least it sounded so to Mark.

Mark silently listened and enjoyed the relaxing tune. Once it had finished Mark clapped, and uttered a few "Bravos", and smiled gently. "I'd say you're the best musician I know. That was excellent, Brigid!”

"Thank you, Mr. Hawk!" Brigid laughed in glee. "That is soooo nice of you to say. But, um... how many musicians do you know?"

"Ten. That's excluding you." Red replied, as he began to think to himself. And most of them were terrible at their crafts. I still ache when I hear a trumpet go off it’s beat...

"Wow." Brigid placed her violin to the side and swung her legs back and forth. "You must be, like, some kinda music fan. You think... when we beat the aliens and save the world, you can introduce me to some people. I... when I grow up, I... um..."

"I would be glad to. I wouldn't be much of a friend if I didn't" Red gently responded.

Brigid clapped her hands excitedly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh!" Brigid ran over to her bed and started rummaging underneath it. "Guess what special day is coming up."

Red pondered for a moment, but when nothing came to mind, he replied sheepishly, "I d-don't know. What's going to happen on that special day?"

Brigid pulled out a pointy paper hat with pictures of fireworks on it and put it on. "I'm gonna be a teenager!"

Red's eyes widened, as he received the news, surprised by the information he had heard. After a moment or two, the big man chuckled weakly, "Congratulations, Brigid! I'm gonna have to get you a present. So... what are some things you're interested in?"

Brigid slowly frowned, and slipped the hat off her head. "Oh, um... I-I was just excited about my birthday. Y-you don't... have to get me a gift. I... shouldn't expect one from you."

Red delicately considered his options for a moment, before a nicer variant of his detective persona sank in. "Why not? I try to get people presents on their birthdays... or is it you don't want me to get you one?" The former detective asked gently, trying to refrain from the intensity his usual detective persona had.

"N-no... I didn't say that." Brigid slowly placed the hat back on her head. "I... I-I guess, if you like to give birthday gifts, I would take one. I mean... I like getting presents."

"Alrighty then. I'll make you something pretty cool then." Red replied, giving Brigid his warmest smile, while simultaneously making a mental note to ask Morrigan for help in the matter.

"Thank you, Mr. Hawk." Brigid bit her lip. "Mr. Hawk. Are you... are you and mommy...?"

Mark considered all of the things he could say, but decided to be as honest as possible. Sighing, the specialist said, "Yes. Me and your mom are dating."

Brigid scratched her head. "That's... um..." Brigid scrunched her nose, apparently not sure how to think about it. "Did... did you ask mom, or did mom ask you? 'Cause I had this friend Benny that said the guy has to ask the girl, but Kimmy said that's stupid and the girl can ask, but Kimmy also said green looks good with pink, and I don't think green looks good with pink, so maybe she was wrong." She poked her fingers together. "Um... sorry. Who did you say asked who?"

"W-well... um... it was your mom. I-I was a little too thick-headed to ask." Red admitted, his face flushing red with embarrassment.

Black0ut

New Circumstances, Part Two

Brigid tilted her head slightly and walked up to him, placing her hand against his head. "Are you sick? You're red... and warm."

Mark's face grew redder, as the cause of his embarrassment went unnoticed by Brigid. "N-no, I'm not sick, just...um..." The Specialist trailed off.

"Oh? Okay." Brigid took a step back again and poked her fingers together. "Well, um... I think you being mom's boyfriend is... nice."

Red paused, if only for a moment. "O-oh? Well... thank you for your approval, Brigid. It does mean a lot."

"Really?" Brigid looked down and rolled one of her ankles. "Why... why does it matter what I think. I mean... you two are adults, and I'm just a kid. Why does it matter what I think?"

"It matters because while I am dating your mom, she is still your mom. You were here long before I was, and you deserve to have a say in the matter." Red replied, raising his arms above his head to stretch. " I want what's best for her, and you, even if that means I'm no longer in the picture."

Brigid rolled her ankle a little longer in silence. She finally looked up again and smiled widely. "I think it is a great," she said earnestly. "I want mom to be happy. So if you make her happy, then I'm happy, Mr. Hawk. And I want you to be happy too."

Well, you and your mom's happiness comes first, before my own." Red replied, an easygoing smile on his face.

"But you need to be happy too, silly. That way, you can be happy, and mom can be happy, and together, you two can be happy together... okay?" Brigid scratched her chin. "Mr. Hawk, since you're dating my mom now... can I call you Mark like she does?"

"Sure. I don't really mind." Mark answered, rubbing a nervous hand through his hair once more.

The door behind Red opened, and Morrigan peaked her head inside. "Hey, Mark. Hi, honey."

"Hi mom." Brigid grinned widely. "I'm having a nice talk with Mr... with Mark."

"H-hello, Morrigan." Red responded nervously, "I was filling in for Jack. He, uh, had something important to do, so me and Brigid have been talking about stuff." Why do I have a feeling of panic right now? It's not like I've screwed up... I think...

Morrigan nodded. "I understand. Hey, Brigid, why don't you get ready to hit the showers. I'm just going to have a quick talk with Mark." She stepped out into the hall, obviously expecting him to follow.

The big man did as was expected of him, a sheepish expression on his face. "S-so... uh, what did you want to talk about?" Mark asked nervously, his nerves already shot.

Morrigan placed one hand on her hip, and raised another to wag a finger towards her. "Bend down a little. This is a bit troublesome with you being a foot taller then me."

"As you wish." Red replied, as he leaned down and cupped Morrigan's face before kissing her passionately.

Whether this was Morrigan's intention in asking him to leaned down or she simply went along with it was unclear. Either way, she kissed him back earnestly. She held on to his shoulders, and the kiss lasted a solid two minutes before she final took a step back, smiling. "Not bad, Mr. Red Hawk."

"I'd say you were excellent, Ms. O'Brien." Red attempted to compliment, offering a smile in return. "So... how have you been?"

"I've been good. Keeping busy. Was doing even better when a little bird swung by and told me my two favorite people where finally having a chat." Morrigan rubbed his arm. "I... hope it went well."

"It did. She knows we're dating, and gave her approval." Red replied in a more mellow tone, all the tension and nervousness the specialist had seemingly gone.

"That's wonderful!" Morrigan's smile faded, and she turned away. "I'm... sorry you had to be the one to tell her. I tried to hint at it but... but I was so nervous. Never had to do the 'mommy found someone' talk before. You... you must think me a coward."

"Not at all. I find you incredibly brave, and beautiful. I think you are perfect the way you are."

Morrigan chuckled softly. "Thank you. But I don't feel that way." She turned back to Red and have him a sad smile. "No matter what happens, I don't regret this relationship. You have been so kind to me, since that first day when you thought nothing of my scars. But I must admit I started this without thinking about Brigid. I was... worried. What if she still missed Daniel? What if... if she resented me dating again? What if this push her and you apart?" She wiped a year away. "You have... no idea how relieved I am to hear she approves."

Red nodded solemnly, but didn't offer any comforting words, as he didn't know what to say. He instead opted to pull Morrigan into a gentle hug, hoping it would suffice.

Morrigan hugged him back, as best she could with the size difference. "Why didn't I do this earlier? You know... you and me."

"Probably because I was too thick-headed to be romantic." Mark replied, looking away for a moment.

Morrigan reached up and tilted his head towards her. "Now this is going to be a very awkward relationship if we keep putting ourselves down. If you promise to stop and accept that you're a good person that deserves me, then I promise to do the same."

"You got yourself a deal." Mark practically whispered, before kissing Morrigan once again, albeit more gently.

Brigid cleared her throat, standing in the doorway, blushing a bit and keeping her eyes down. "I-I'm... ready, mom."

Red broke away first, as his face went like his namesake. "I-I suppose you have to go... would you be up to going out tomorrow?"

"Absolutely." Morrigan took the clothes Brigid had picked out for her. "Not many places to go in Antarctica, but I'd love to share a few stories while having a few drinks."

"Sounds great. See you tomorrow then." Red said sorrowfully, as he started to walk off, "Take care you two." I need to prepare and make it as excellent as possible. I might have to ask a few people for some favors...

Morrigan frowned, wondering if she said something wrong, and sighed. "Come on, Brigid. Shower time." She took Brigid's hand, and the two headed the opposite way.

Taxor_the_First

See Carolus Rise, Part 1

Arbiter’s Court, Location Unknown
3:30 PM, September 25th, 2038

Azazel exhaled, his lungs out of breath as he finished ascending the staircase leading to where the Arbiter typically held his audiences. Glancing behind him, the thought occurred that he could have just used psionics to float up rather than expend the effort of walking.

But then again, that was the whole point of walking.

He waited a moment to compose himself, the ornately armored Balmadaar guarding the entrance watching him closely, before moving within the chamber. The brutes let him pass, though their gaze was penetrating. Azazel ignored them – society dictated that such beasts of war were beneath him, as were most beings under the light of this system’s star. Or so it would be, were he anyone else.

The Arbiter’s Court was not dissimilar in architecture to the houses of worship humanity had constructed to their own gods years ago, with a central podium overlooking lines of seating. Yet there were signs of the law present here too – two sections resided before the podium, clearly meant to seat two opposing parties. This was a courtroom, after all, designed for the application of the Path.

Azazel walked forward until he reached the end of the rows of seating, then stopped, his feet resting on the soft red carpet running through the middle of the room. A cursory glance confirmed what he’d suspected – the Arbiter was not present.

Confusion would have likely set in if Azazel had been more invested in his own presence today, but the reality was he would have much preferred not to deal with the gloating arrogance of his main superior. Still, he wasn’t exactly in a position to reject orders. The Inquisitor sighed, and knelt on the ground, clasping both pairs of hands in his lap. The Arbiter had summoned him, and thus it was a fair deduction to presume he would arrive.

Azazel waited for nearly a quarter of an hour there before a door at the far end opened, a Priorbus Commander and an Elder exiting. The Inquisitor bowed his head, showing the respect that was expected of him as the Priorbus breezed past him. His mask turned slightly as a stab of recognition poked his chest. That was Ay. Why would the Arbiter be meeting with him?

He resolved to consider it later. For now, he had to get this over with. Arbiter, he said tiredly, there was no need for you to have me dragged here like a disobedient child. I come when summoned. Perhaps you would wish to not waste the effort next time. He lifted his head. Now, what can I do fo-

His eyes widened as the figure at the podium gripped the corners in her hands. You… you’re not Minos! The Inquisitor stood hurriedly, reflexively going for the pistols that would normally be at his side. When he remembered they’d been stripped from him as part of his audience here, he instead assumed a tensed stance. You are standing in a position reserved for the Arbiter. I would recommend you vacate it. Now.

The Elder at the podium laughed, an elegant, tinkling amusement that chilled Azazel to the bone. Oh, but I am the Arbiter, Coatl, she replied, her tone filled with the humor of someone that enjoyed seeing others squirm. And you shall address me as such.

The Inquisitor clenched his hands, and a shadow crossed his mask. Carolus? he asked, surprise – and a hint of horror – entering his ‘voice’. But this is… impossible. You are supposed to be dead.

And who told you that? Carolus wondered. Minos, perhaps?

Azazel swallowed. She had a point, the apparently former Arbiter was likely not a reliable source of information given his opinion of the Inquisitor. So they let you live after all, he surmised.

Of course. Why would Minos execute someone so demonstrably loyal to the Path?
The Arbiter floated down to her subordinate, though her calm movements were belied by an underlying menace in her tone. I gave him all he wanted. While the others were executed for their treachery, I was rewarded for my loyalty. I begged to be allowed to enforce the Path, using my time with you as evidence that I could do it.

You mean time you spent worming your way into our circle just so you could betray us,
Azazel nearly spat. Albina was wise to keep you out of details, leech.

You will watch your tone, scum,
Carolus said sternly, else you will find out why Albina’s supposed ‘wisdom’ did not save her. I should have you executed for such insubordination, but I’ll let you get away with it this time. I know how… excited you must be to see me. She chuckled when the Inquisitor relaxed slightly, evidently realizing that he was pushing his luck as it was. Good. Minos had described you as a broken man. It pleases me to see that he was right.

I… Azazel wanted to hurt her. He wanted to hurt her badly. … I see some things don’t change, he settled with. Even when the both of us were in chains, you kept gloating.

The Arbiter chuckled, moving to his side. And look where I am now. But let us not dwell on the past, she drawled, lifting a hand almost daintily and running it over the top of his shoulder. You’ve served me well for the past few years already, after all. Simply knowing I am your superior should not affect your loyalty… Without warning, her hand ceased tracing and instead seized his shoulder in a vice-like grip. Right?

I exist to enforce the Path,
the Inquisitor answered, without turning to look at her. It matters not who my superior is.

I’m sorry, why did you say you exist?

… to enforce the Path.

Wrong, Carolus snapped. You exist to enforce my will. Mine, and the High Commander’s. You exist to be our eyes and ears, to be the hand that strikes down any dissension. She released him and strode back to her podium, leaving Azazel quaking slightly in what was probably anger. Which means you need to accept that role, and act as we would. Which begs the question…

She took her position and turned to face him, a smirk playing across her lips beneath her mask. Why did you let them go?

To her surprise, she sensed not fear or guilt from him, but amusement. Instantly, the Inquisitor seemed relaxed where only moments before he’d been filled with rage. You mean the seven humans that accosted me during my retreat from Auschwitz?

Carolus frowned. She didn’t like this sudden shift in his demeanor. No, the two Earth insects that flew in your face at the door. Of course I meant those humans! Your handler reported to me that you had them all defeated, at your mercy. And you retreated, allowing them to escape and harass us at a later time!

Have you ever seen how far a human will go to protect family or friends? Azazel asked. Threatening the life of one will usually elicit some irrational response from the other. That was the entire reason one of those seven humans was there, after all. He came to rescue his father.

I am failing to see how this justifies allowing them to live, the Arbiter warned.

Those seven were a tightly knit group, he explained. Had I actually killed one, it is likely that the other six would have renewed their efforts. And I was not sure I could stand up to a combined attack from all six of them.

Carolus audibly scowled. Of course you could have, she snapped. We both know exactly how much punishment you are able to sustain. I tested that myself once, I’m certain you remember. How could they possibly pose any threat-

One of them had a sonic weapon.

Taxor_the_First

Part 2

The Arbiter fell silent. Behind his mask, Azazel suppressed a satisfied smirk. So she had read up on him. That merely makes you a coward, she condemned. But… I suppose it serves our purposes to have you remain alive. For now. You are, regardless of any personal grievances, a very useful tool. I would… hate… for that tool to be broken.

Now you understand my caution, Azazel stated. I did not retreat solely because I might die there. I also retreated because if even one of them discovered how effective such weapons would be against me-

-they would no doubt employ them against you next time, and then you would be useless to me,
Carolus finished. She sighed. A shame. I was looking forward to punishing you. But I suppose I cannot justify it… this time. A hand, smooth and healthy, extended from beneath her robes, fingers in a pointing position. But if I hear you have allowed more terrorists to survive combat with you there will be consequences. Severe consequences. When you encounter members of XCOM or any other so-called ‘resistance’ group, you will eliminate them. You will not hold back. You will not spare them unless they might prove useful to us. Do I make myself clear?

The Inquisitor bowed his head. As glass, he accepted.

Then there is the question of the Anderson Testimonials, the Arbiter continued. I’ve reviewed the content. Aside from confirmation that XCOM is utilising one of our old ships, you wasted your time with him. He knew nothing. A scoff. The Nouja Memories gave us more-

They are also severely outdated, Azazel noted. Even the confirmation that little has changed in the resistance since we last had such a large breakthrough in intel is valuable. And he confirmed that XCOM had hijacked the Luxumba. That in turn allowed us to locate it… though evidently taking it back is another matter entirely.

Perhaps I should have had you lead that charge,
Carolus snarked. Might be you would have found some courage with an army at your back.

I was occupied. Informed that I could not expect any reinforcements on that day, in fact. He shrugged. I was forced to order a scorching retreat, in order to prevent loss of personnel. Regrettable, but necessary.

That brought an elegant laugh from the Arbiter, though there was no humor in it. You’d be surprised what I can justify with that sentence, she said. She turned to go, waving him away. Get out. I’m sick of the sight of you. And remember my warning.

Azazel watched her go. Oh, I won’t forget, he promised himself, before making to exit himself.

When he returned to his ship he sought out the solace of his own quarters, a simple area with a bed, terminal and little else. He stood in the center for a time, breathing in the processed air, before exclaiming in rage and swiping a hand at the wall. Pushed by an unseen force, the pictures that had hung there were brushed away, clattering to the floor in a mess of frames. Seething now, he abandoned his quarters in search of something he could destroy… or someone.

Ay looked up curiously when his ‘master’ entered, evidently upset. Inquisitor? May I help you in some way?

The Priorbus spluttered as an invisible fist seized his neck, lifting the Inquisitor’s handler into the air. Yes, Azazel murmured in quiet anger. Yes you can.

Wh-what is the meaning of this?! Ay demanded, clutching vainly at his throat. Unhand me! Do you really want to incur more of the Arbiter’s ire?!

Briefly, Azazel considered answering ‘yes’ and squeezing the life out of this pathetic sycophant. Instead, he released him, watching as Ay coughed and wheezed his way back to an upright position. How long has Carolus been Arbiter? he asked ‘calmly’.

The Priorbus glared at him. Five Terran years, he almost spat.

Why was I not told? The Inquisitor took a step forward, his presence menacing and getting ever closer to his supposed subordinate. Why was I never told?

Ay rubbed his neck. The Arbiter deemed that it would cause unnecessary conflict, he responded. Seems to me like she was right.

So I was manipulated. Typical. Azazel audibly scowled and turned away. And why were you meeting with her before me?

Because she doesn’t trust you, Ay smirked. I cannot begin to fathom why.

Any more cheek from you, and you will meet the same fate as Anderson.

You wouldn’t dare.

You forget your place, the Inquisitor snapped, moving his mask within inches of Ay’s skull. I am likely the lowest member of my people, but you are still beneath even me. Do not think Carolus will protect you. You can be replaced.

The Priorbus gritted his teeth, but did not speak back.

Azazel shook his head. … whatever. I have what I need. Without further speech, he departed, leaving Ay to recoup his dignity in peace. Back in his quarters, he ignored the clutter on the floor. The Inquisitor sat on his bed, robes flattening around him as he extended a hand in front of him.

The smooth skin mocked him. Undeserved health brought by undeserved death. With a shiver he clenched his fist and forced it to retreat out of his sight once again. The ‘solution’ was bad enough. Now to discover that she was giving him his orders?

But it had done something he hadn’t thought possible – her return into his life had made him angry. Really, properly angry. Where once there’d been a stoic acceptance of his lot there was now a steaming defiance, a defiance he hadn’t felt for ten years. He’d noticed it in the Arbiter’s Court. Knowing Carolus, it was likely she’d noticed it too. And just as likely she’d delighted in it, the spiteful-

He sighed. Anger had replaced despair. While this was entirely welcome, he couldn’t let it distract him. He still had his plan. Should he alter it, now that he actually had the desire he’d once lost? He glanced at the floor, his shadow barely visible in the room only lit by the lamp beside his bed. The shadow of a fighting man. Was he a fighting man?

Azazel leaned backwards, his mask helmet making a clunk noise as it knocked the wall behind him. No. He’d already committed to his path. Carolus being alive only meant it was more important that he succeed.

Or rather, that he fail.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and MarineAvenger: “Fracture”

A door stood before the Marauding Crusader, looming over her like a menacing mountain. It felt like it could collapse at any moment, and crush the Ranger beneath its imposing weight. Trepidation filled Yakone’s lungs, and anxiety clamped around her heart. It had been two weeks since she’d spoken to her boyfriend. Has he moved on in that time? Could I really blame him if he has? Yakone questioned internally, resisting the desire to tap her foot nervously - paralyzed by the fear that the person on the other side of the metal barrier would hear her.

She rarely hesitated. But more and more she’d been learning that thinking before acting was probably a good idea. Should I come back later? Maybe now’s not a good time… maybe later in the evening? Maybe I should look for him in the bar? Maybe…? Yakone shook her head. No, no, I can’t keep putting it off… that’s going to make it worse. But what should I say? Could I play it off and not make a big deal out of the radio silence between us, or would it better to acknowledge it?

The latter option seemed more inviting. Yet, Yakone despised apologies, especially insincere ones. I had my reasons for avoiding everyone, not just him… I don’t need to apologize for taking the time to improve myself and get myself together. Surely he could understand that. But would he? Yakone let out a quiet sigh of frustration, hissing through clenched teeth. Damn, this is killing me… just open the door, Yakone! the Ranger told herself irritably. Be calm about this… Yakone took a deep breath, and reached for the door.

Only to pull her hand away at the last moment. I can’t, I can’t, I can’t. What if he’s mad? What if he tells me to get lost? Wouldn’t it just be better not to know? To pretend like everything is fine? A soft growl escaped her lips. Dammit, don’t be a coward Yakone! You hate cowards! She stomped her foot on the metal grates of the ground, creating a loud clang. Suddenly, all the effort to be quiet was put to waste. Shit!

A few moments of silence passed making it seem like Yakone would be in the clear, but those hopes were dashed as the door indeed opened and Leon stood there, looking at Yakone and blinking a few times. “Oh… it’s you.” Was all he said with surprise.

Yakone did her best to compose herself, and offered a hasty response. “Uh...hi…”

“Hi.” He responded just as awkwardly before he quickly pulled himself together and cleared his throat. “So what are you doing here? I wasn’t expecting you at all.”

You weren’t, huh? Great… Yakone folded her hands behind her back. “Well, I… um… figured it’d been awhile since we’d seen each-other, so I intended to rectify that.”

“Well, I suppose you can come in then. Gwen’s out and I was going over some combat data with Psyma.” He explained, moving out of the way of the door to allow the girl inside.

“From the last mission? Or just in general?” Yakone asked curiously as she entered the room and took a look around, eager to change the subject from her absence to anything else. I haven’t ever been in here, have I?

“General. I am trying to get him exposed to as much as possible so his true title doesn’t come back to bite the both of us.” The Grenadier took a seat and scratched his head, unsure of what to say in the situation other then answer the question.

“That’s fair enough… guess they learn like we do,” Yakone assumed. “Nice room you have here.”

“Uh… thanks…” The comment came off as rather odd considering the plainness of it, and the awkwardness grew between the two that the continued silence could be cut with the edge of a paper easily. “Look… I think we both know where this is headed, don’t we?”

Yakone looked away from Leon. “I’m… not exactly sure where to take it, honestly.”

“Would you rather me be honest in this situation?” The Canadian man asked frankly.

“Honest about… what?” the Inuit-Caucasian questioned.

Leon rubbed his arm, looking away and giving off the feeling what was about to be said was not going to good. “I was almost hoping anyone else would have been standing outside of that door.”

“You… really think that lowly of me, huh?” Yakone muttered dourly.

“Not really given me much else to think about you, huh?” He asked, this time not looking away as he crossed his arms. “You disappear from my life the greater part of two weeks and expect things to just be the same? No… not expect, but you were at least hoping that would be the case, isn’t it?”

“I was hoping you’d understand that I had things to work through… one of my roommates bit the dust, and that didn’t leave me in a very good mood,” Yakone defended tensely.

“Yakone, you know I understand, but you don’t seem to. The whole point of being in a relationship is to rely on one another to help get through the day, not have someone to hold onto your arm when convenient. Frankly, this isn’t the first time we’ve had an absence from one another and I doubt it will be the last. The point is, I want to be there for you, and I want you to for me, but that isn’t what you want. You want things to go the way you want, and then get bewildered when it blows up on you.”

“What’s your fucking point?” Yakone pressed dryly.

“The point is Yakone is that there can only be one love in your life and you’ve shown time and again that love is yourself. Do you think I just forgave you after the end of the base defense because I was relieved you came out alive? Or any of them times before you’ve been reckless to show off. I have to deal with the fact that every morning I wake up might be the day I learned you slipped up and wound up dead. And the worst part would be knowing that I might have failed you. Not the other way around.” He responded with a bit of heat in his words at her attitude towards the criticism.

“You’re afraid of me dying? We all have to take risks!” Yakone shot back. “We’re fighting for something a lot bigger than all of us. If you’re mad at me for being brave, that’s… that’s just ridiculous! I’m more durable than just about anyone in this entire project, I’m the last person that would get killed in a fight! I keep myself at the forefront because no one else can be there!”

“If no one else can be there then don’t expect me to be behind you.” He responded more calmly, though looked on the verge of getting into a shouting match with the girl. “We have to take risks, but not ones that can be avoided. I’m mad at you because you are too stubborn to see that. You’re hot headed, you’re arrogant, and unfortunately, you aren’t someone I can love anymore.” Leon said finally, his face hardening a bit.

“So that’s it… huh… your bullshit reason for dumping me is something as shallow as that?” Yakone growled in disgust. “Congratulations. I’m actually speechless at how shallow that is.”

Leon shook his head, chuckling at the absurdity of her logic. “I’m the shallow one. The one who has always tried to help or had your back. You want to know the main difference between you and me, since you are speechless and can finally shut up and listen to the words coming out of my mouth? You’re stuck fighting for the entire world, a world I know you barely know. What I fight for is the people around me. My sister, my grandfather, the friends I lost and watched die… and that list included you at one point. That’s the difference Yakone. When you fight for something as large as the world, the things that truly matter get lost in the scope.”

“Do you write your own speeches, asshole?” Yakone responded with a shake of her head. “My reasons to fight aren’t confined to just saving the world, but that’s a pretty high fucking priority. There was a time when my mother just fought for revenge, but she’s moved on from that. You seem to have this idea stuck in your head that I’m a half-baked human being, and you’re pretty damn wrong. Sure, I might be allergic to apologizing for things, and I do think pretty highly of myself, but the reasons I do what I do are as complex as anyone else’s!”

“Yeah, I’m sure you're father had the same exact thoughts.” He said to Yakone’s face in anger. “Bradford told me about your other parent Yakone. And he didn’t hold anything back about him. You two seem to have in common leaving the ones you love behind because of ‘your own reasons’. You want to know the fucked up thing? I even defended you then. I thought you were better than that, to just throw away whatever almost non-existent feelings you had for me aside!”

“Don’t… you dare… compare me to him, ever again,” Yakone spoke coldly. “Nothing you said in the past matters now. You destroyed any relevance that would have had already. I’m done listening to you drawing your insane parallels and doing your damn best to denigrate me!” The Ranger exited out the door, which she slammed in Leon’s face.

Leon placed his hand against the wall, using the other to rub his eyes, his anger at mostly her, with a little directed at himself rolling inside of him. “L-Leon…” A small voice said besides him. “Perhaps it would be-”

“Not now Psyma!” He yelled.

There was a shaking whimper coming from the AI. who promptly disappeared, leaving the Grenadier feeling a profane sadness he had yelled at the little guy. Nursing a coming headache, he decided a drink would be best in that moment as he decided how he would apologize to his little companion.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53
Inefficacious Uplifting

Leon brought the bottle to his lips, slowly downing his third drink that morning. He was just buzzed enough to have his sense, but dulled enough that the hollow ache inside was slightly unnoticeable. His relationship with a girl he thought he admired was over and Psyma was silent. No matter what he tried to do to rouse a response from the A.I. there was merely silence. A grim reminder of the anger that currently resided over his mind. He rubbed his eyes, laying his elbow on the bar counter. Rubbing his eyes helped hold back tears.

"H-hey... Leon." Morrigan slipped into the seat next to him, the Irishwoman looking worried. She held a glass of grape juice, it being too early for her to drink, though it was too early for Leon to drink too. "I heard about you and... um... h- how are you holding up?" she asked, knowing she wouldn't like the answer.

"I'm perfectly alright. All's quiet on the western front." He mumbled cryptically.

Morrigan let out a long sigh, and shook her head. "Do you usually get drunk first thing in the morning when everything is perfectly alright?"

"Not when everything is fine." Leon noted sourly. "And don't try and spin this as anything but bad."

"Come on, Leon." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Talk to me. It is obvious you're hurting."

"You've just summed up any conversation we could have. I'm hurting. End of story... Fin." He noted melancholy like, putting his hand on his face to groan. "I hate being sardonic when I'm drunk."

"Then don't be. Or don't get drunk. Seems it might be too late for either of those, though." Morrigan turned to face him. "So you two were incompatible. It happens, Leon. But you can't let it destroy you like this."

"How are things with that soldier Red?" Leon cut in with irritation.

Morrigan blinked several times. "They... th-then just started but... but he and I are... good. What does that have to do with this?"

"Then I have reason to be destroyed. Guess I am just not lucky with women. I prefer being alone anyways. Now I only have Gwen to look after. Screw Ipitok. Hope she gets herself killed. See her pride blow up on her."

"Don't say that!" Morrigan placed her hand firmly on her shoulder. "You might be mad now, but if something happened to her with you wishing that, you would hate yourself." Her eyes darted about in confusion. "And I... I don't understand. Why would my relationship give you a reason to be upset? You have a problem with it or something?"

"Am I some sort of god among men? Am I not allowed jealousy?" He asked the woman, grabbing another beer.

"Jealous?" Morrigan slowly sat back, lowering her eyes. "Why... why would you be... jealous. You... you chose Yakone. You wanted her. I... we wouldn't have work anyway, with how Brigid feels about you. You have no reason to be jealous. Especially when you could get any girl you want If you try instead of... getting drunk."

Leon slowly shook his head. "No. No more. I'm not putting myself through another relationship. I'm putting my focus on winning this fight. Nothing more."

Morrigan looked down at his beer. "Looks to me like you have other things on your mind then fighting. Looks to me like you're depressed. I'm trying to help."

"When the time comes to hold a gun I'll be ready. Besides, Yakone is just one of many worries." Leon let slip.

Morrigan turned back to the bar. "You want to share them with me. I'm your friend. And just like with my other friends, I want to help if I can."

"Psyma's gone silent on me. I don't even feel his thoughts anymore. It's like he's not even there. I yelled at him in anger when he tried to talk to me. Yakone can go screw herself but... That mistake was on me."

Morrigan thought about it. "Have you... tried getting someone with an A.I. of their own to try and... I don't know, link to you and have their A.I. talk to yours or... something?"

"I don't think that is even possible. Besides, I don't trust the other A.I. I don't need one to try and absorb the little guy." The Grenadier said with an objective tone.

"You sure you don't want to give it a try?" Morrigan smiled softly. "I'd like to think I have a handle on mine, even if he can be a bit... irritable."

Leon shook his head. "I do not wish to make him feel worse by forcing something onto him. ...thanks though."

"Well... what are you going to do then?" Morrigan asked. "We need to get his attention somehow. How else are you two going to make up?"

"Give it time I suppose. He is like Brigid after all. Just a kid..." Leon sat back, looking over the woman. "Where is the little girl by the way?"

"She's back in our room, studying. I asked her to try her work alone while I talk to you, and she said it was okay." Morrigan starred down at her drink. "She's worried. She was upset about the people she lost. Then Alexis was hard to talk to for a while. Yakone was unapproachable. And now you're in a funk. She feels sad when others do. A little too empathetic for her own good."

"Is she at least staying healthy?" Leon asked off handedly as he nursed his drink.

Morrigan nodded. "Yeah. She was sick for a while... but she's okay now. She went out to have a snowball fight. Luke Van Dam's idea. I was afraid she would at least get the sniffles from that, but no. Guess the doctors know what they're doing here, huh?"

"A good thing. Helped me, helped Gwen... All the head doctor alone." The Canadian man laid down his head, closing his eyes. "Hey... Something not Yakone or Psyma related. Progress already."

"Mhmm." Morrigan kept her eyes trained in her drink, feeling like she really hadn't accomplished much at all coming down here, despite her mumble of agreement. "H-how's Gwen?"

"Herself again. Getting stronger everyday." The man said with a hint of pride. "Pissed in her own right at Yakone."

Morrigan slowly nodded. "It... it's awkward for me... you know? I'm... I'm your friend... but I'm also Yakone's friend." She finally took a small sip, muttering, "God, I hope Luke and Alex never break up." After a moment of silence, she said, "Sorry. This isn't about me."

"It's fine. Not exactly going to chastise you for holding an opinion."

Morrigan nodded sadly. She took in a deep breath, trying to think of something to say. She thought she had something, then it slipped away. Her hand tightened around her glass, frustration building.

You torture yourself over nothing. It is none of your business. It is bad enough that he lets this insignificant spat effect him so much. For one who claims to hate her so now, he sure is broken up over it.

Shut up. You don't know him... and you don't know me. How could you possibly understand?

Again you insult me, human. You think just because I am an artificial intelligence, I have no concept of empathy. I understand why his pain effects you. What I do not understand is why you continue to let it effect you when you have done all you can to let him open up, and he chooses not to. Just like the woman he hates now. No wonder they did not work out. One is just as stubborn as the other.

"Jist shut yer bake already," Morrigan muttered, finishing her drink.

Leon raised an eyebrow over at Morrigan. "Come again?"

Morrigan looked up at him. "Huh? O-oh... nothing. Just arguing with the... the voice in my head." She slowly rose to her feet. "Maybe I should... head back to my room."

Leon's expression softened a bit and he nodded, downing his drink. "Tell Brigid I told her not to worry."

"I will. I'm not sure if she'll believe she has nothing to worry about... but I'll try..." Morrigan sighed and walked to the door, looking back and adding, "Just... let me know if you have anything to get off your chest. I'm here for you, Leon."

"Yeah, thanks. Tell her as well... I'll drop by and pay her a visit. Take her out to lunch or something like that. Feel I owe her for ignoring her." Leon said sadly.

"Alright. Thanks." Morrigan have him a small smile before leaving.

DarkGemini24601

Dahlexpert and DarkGemini24601: “Legionnaire Forum” - Part 1

1719 Hours, September 26th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 2, Central Block
Holography Hub

Heinrich let out a frustrated sigh, staring around the battlefield at the six ADVENT Troopers - backed up by a pair of gunners and a rocketeer - surrounding him and his two allies. “And this was your idea of a fair fight, Adam? Really?”

Before the Shieldbearer could respond, Max cut in with an insistence, “there are more important things to focus on right now than complaining.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Heinrich shoot his head, lifting his anti-tank cannon at one of the Gunners. “We are so fucked though.” Maxwell lifted his mag rifle, and the pair fired at the same time. Heinrich’s mark went down, while Maxwell’s mag rifle couldn’t quite finish the enemy rocketeer off. Staggered, but not needing to be terribly accurate at this range, the Advent explosives expert let his missile fly in the general direction of the three Mavericks. At the same time, his seven remaining companions opened fire.

Adam - situated behind his plated shield with Maxwell gaining partial cover from it - kept his cool. He closed his eyes, removing his focus on the clamor of the battle and instead focusing on what he could do to turn it in the favor of his squad. Brock’s hands both glowed with a yellow pulse, as did his forehead slightly shimmer. A telekinetic field flared up around himself and his two comrades-in-arms. The magnetically-accelerated bullets from the ADVENT soldiers rained down against the three XCOM fighters, but were slowed down to a velocity just below that of conventional firearms. Thus, against the alloyed armor of the three, they were nothing more than an annoyance.

As for the flying rocket, the Juggernaut used his mind to surround it in weak telekinesis, causing it to do a 180 and blow away half of the forces under the command of the rocketeer that fired it. Shocked, caught off guard, and unsure of what to do, the remaining enemies were soon moped up. The rapid firepower of ‘Castaway’, the large rounds fired off from ‘Panzer’, and a grenade launched from the miniature launcher of the callsign-less Shieldbearer made quick work of the rest of the simulated enemies, and the session ended with victory.

The Shieldbearer, could hear some loud clapping coming from the other end of the room. When he turned around he saw both the Van Dams, Luke looking happier than normal. “Nice display Adam, good job taking out that rocketeer.” Luke congratulated.

In contrast, Brock’s look was one of displeasure - though milder than the pair of Alaskans might have expected. “What brings you here?” he questioned neutrally.

“No reason, hell I could come down here because I’m bored. Not like there’s anything else to do. Well I have something else to do but it’s to early in the day,” Luke rattled off.

Lilith rubbed her head. “Sorry we're actually here to see Adam, if he’s done training of course.”

Heinrich raised an eyebrow. “That doesn’t seem like the best of ideas… don’t you three have a bit of a grudge against each other? I’m not sure-”

“It will be fine,” Adam interjected, cutting him off. “Even if they intended to cause trouble - which I doubt is their reason for coming here - I could handle them.”

Max patted the Grenadier on the back. “Let them talk alone. I think it’ll be alright.” He whispered something to a still-uncertain Heinrich, and with a sigh he agreed to exit with Maxwell. That left the two Van Dams and Brock alone in the holo-room.

Adam crossed his arms. “So what is it you want?” he inquired.

“Well that’s a very good question Muton-lover, we just want to talk to you. Although I still want to spare with you,” Luke responded.

“Ignore him we are curious about you through Adam, why do you care so much about the. What did you call them Balmadaar so much, I mean yes you have Muton blood but I do doesn't mean I’m a part of them,” Lilith stated.

At their repeated usage of the word for the alien shocktroopers that Adam found insulting, the Shieldbearer found himself tensing and squeezing his gauntleted fists. Reaching up, he removed his helmet - allowing the pair to see the frustration burning in his sandstone-yellow eyes. “If you wish to hear a civil answer, it would be wise not to attempt to anger me,” Brock prefaced. “I hold the Balmadaar in high esteem because I have… or at least had… no connection to humanity. I was meant to be a mindless warrior, and thus all I had was the imprints of an alien culture upon me.”

“So, you're nothing more than a weapon?” Luke and Lilith looked at each other. “Yea that’s not going to work, since you know virtually nothing about humanity why don’t we show you some fun?” Luke said.

Lilith walked to Adam.”Adam, have you ever left this room? For something other than a mission?”

“I have a bed that I sleep in, and I have journeyed to other parts of the ship with my squad,” Adam responded, shaking his head. “You have odd impressions of me.” Glancing at Luke with displeasure, he added, “and that statement would have been correct two weeks ago. But since the loss of Christine, I have taken a look among her personal effects, and learned things I would not otherwise have known.”

“Well he can experience empathy, at least. Look we want to take you out of this area and have some fun, something I’m sure you don’t know the definition of that word,” Luke remarked.

“Look Adam we just to show you a good time with humans, something I’m sure ADVENT never showed you,” Lilith offered.

“I would rather not,” Adam responded with a shake of his head. “I consider the other Mavericks my friends. You two… seem to view my as this inhuman thing, a defective being… when you aren’t insulting my heritage.”

“I’m not insulting you Adam, look Luke knows a little about our tribes culture. You kinda remind me of the young of my old village,” Lilith informed him.

“You're kidding, I just want to show this guy a good time is all. Personally I want to see him drunk,” Luke opined.

“Calling me comparable to a child is not much better than an insult,” Adam muttered. “You two have not given me a reason to want to spend time with either of you. One is worse than the other, of course… but neither of you have earned my respect.”

“I’m not comparing you to a child, I’m saying you act like most of our young and by young I mean the ones that were Luke’s age. See our tribe when it was around...”

“Aunty you sure you want to tell this guy about our tribe? I’m not against it but...”

“I doubt either of you are interested in the Balmadaar, and by the same logic I do not really care about your tribe. Nor am I interested to hear what point you are trying to make by bringing it up,” Adam growled, his patience wearing thin.

“Oh, fuck it.” Luke walked up to Adam until he was in his face. “You want to go get something to eat, I can cook for you we can talk and have a few drinks. The point is, do you want to hang out with me? The only reason why my aunt is here is to play peacemaker.” Luke said bluntly.

“You are very persistent,” Adam commented with a sigh. “I will consider it… but I would need to put away my armor first.”

“Great meet me in the cafeteria when you're done.” Luke left the Holo room.

Lilith stayed behind and looked at Adam. “I’m sorry about that, Luke is not the best when beating around the bush.”

“It is not his directness that bothers me… merely his continued contempt for me,” Adam clarified with a sigh. “This had better not be a waste of time… I was considering spending my evening reading Hamlet,” he muttered.

“Hm, interesting read. Don’t worry Luke won’t waste your time. Just stay calm alright, I don’t want to hear about a fight breaking out in the cafeteria and boiling hot water being used.”

“If we fought the weapons of war would be much more dire than that,” Adam rumbled with a shake of his head, walking off to change out of his armor into more simplistic clothing.

DarkGemini24601

Dahlexpert and DarkGemini24601: “Legionnaire Forum” - Part 2

Luke was in the cafeteria cooking what seems to be a steak. Hum, I think I could use a bit more vegetables, and some mash potatoes.

Adam approached with a wary look in his eyes. “I will reserve my judgement on your cooking abilities until I see them in action, but the overly-cheery medic-chef will be hard to surmount, let alone match.”

“Oh, you're here. Trust me, I know ‘Sugar’s’ cooking. I might not be able to match it, but I’m trying, Why don’t you take as seat and enjoy yourself.” Luke started to think about what else to add to their food. Well he’s a big guy, why not make some more food. Luke started to prep some fish that he caught when he was in Chile.

Adam waited patiently, having brought with him a book that he read intently while Luke was finishing the preparation of the food. From the looks of it, it was a dictionary - likely the other source of his improved articulation aside from the collection of Shakespearean plays that Christine had left behind.

After cooking tirelessly Luke finally emerged from the kitchen. “And dinner is served, we will be eating a steak that is well done, with mash potatoes on the side. I also made fried fish with a few greens, dig in.”

Folding up his source of knowledge, Adam complied with the request. He didn’t say much at first, sampling each of the different items Luke had produced. “Acceptable,” he decided after some deliberation. Noting Luke’s amused look at how robotic the response was, he briefly reopened his dictionary, did a quick search, and corrected himself with the declaration that the food was “not bad.”

“God can you just say that first, man have you decided to just relax or you know not be so robotic?”

“I was not taught more casual forms of address by my ‘handlers’, I have been attempting to make my word choice more appropriate… these things take time,” Adam responded with a low grunt.

“Yeah, understand that feeling.” Luke dug into his food.” So tell me Adam, tell me about the Mutons, since you seem to favor them so much.”

“Bal-ma-daar,” the Juggernaut stated slowly. “They may be our enemies, but a bit of basic respect is not too much to ask. I do not know them very well in a… normal sense,” Adam began, sighing at his inability to perfectly articulate his point. “I feel more of an instinctual connection. If it is due to the increased DNA from their race that found its way into my body over other prototype Shieldbearers, or some more supernatural reason - I do not know. But what I feel from the bottom of my heart is that I am a warrior of their ilk, or… at the very least similar to them. In some way their proud heritage is passed onto me… and their blood certainly flows through their veins. That is why I respect them.”

“Ho-hum, so you barely know anything about the Balmadaar and yet you are a part of them. I can somewhat understand that since my people are the same to me.” Luke continued to chow down on his food. “See, I've been told that my tribe were great warriors - that they were great soldiers and mercenaries. They loved fighting, and were different then your typical human; instead of living in cities they lived in Alaska. My people thrived in the cold for centuries - that is, until the aliens showed up.”

“Perhaps we have more in common than I initially gave you credit,” Adam grumbled. “We are both fighters that cherish a heritage we do not completely understand.” His mashed potatoes quickly disappeared from the plate from rapid consumption thereafter.

“Yeah, but my people got wiped out, as far as I know. If some are alive it would be because the purge seemed to not be as thorough as we thought. If they’re alive then I don’t know where to find them,” Luke drew a distinction.

“It isn’t that different in my situation either,” Adam corrected. “From what I’ve been able to learn from speaking with Ayame, it would appear that any independence and pride the Balmadaar had was weeded out in the name of absolute loyalty to the Elders years ago… they are in a state worse than death it would seem - stripped of honor, of dignity.”

“Well then, at least my people went out fighting, and if there anything I think they are they would rather be dead than serve the Elders.”

“From Kasagi’s account, it did seem those that retained their honor went out with a fight rather than succumb to moral decay,” Adam insisted. “It matters little now, in any case.”

“You're right it doesn't, anyway what do you think of humans?”

“I don’t have a particular blanket view on all of humanity… no one does. Odd question to ask…” Adam muttered.

“Look I don’t know how to talk to you, your just so stiff and more robotic than anything. You ever tried being relaxed and talking to others?”

“I think you are the one that is awkward… I have several friends… I would consider everyone in my squad to be one. I converse with them plenty,” Adam specified.

“Alright then what do you talk about, I don’t know how to talk to you. Usually I know how to talk to some of the others, but you I’m not sure how to talk to someone that was supposed to be my enemy.”

“Well, mischievous Fate clearly had other plans for me. Though I do not fault you for awkwardness… I feel like we have made progress towards understanding one another a little better at the very least.” Adam chuckled sedately. “We are not attempting to kill one another, today, are we? I would call that a step in the right direction.”

“Yeah, I still want to fight you. But it’s mostly for fun, there’s nothing personal about it.”

“Perhaps another time, I don’t quite feel like fighting on a full stomach…” Adam pushed himself up from the table. “Thank you for the food. It was quite good.”

“I try my best. Anyway, Adam, it was good talking to you and thanks for the complement,” Luke responded. Adam gave a nod, offered a faintly friendly smile, and then departed.

DarkGemini24601

Frostlich1228 and DarkGemini24601: "Locker Room Banter"

1449 Hours, September 24th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 2, Central Block
Holography Hub

After setting up his desired environment, he set the enemy types to random, trying to be prepared for any surprises he might come across in the field. Marx usually avoided the holo-room; he preferred a traditional style of training, weights, dummies, sparring - that sort of thing. There was also the fact that the holo-room wasn’t as available as often as the simpler methods he was used to. Still, if he needed real field training - or as close to it as one could get - he’d come here. As the environment loaded, trees sprouted up out of nowhere, rocks formed from nothing, and dirt and grass appeared where there was none before. Marx still wasn’t quite used to all of that yet; it still hadn’t lost its grandeur.

The Russian cupped a few of the stones in his pocket, ready to throw them as he slid into cover. To his disappointment however, only a few Sectoids were loaded. At least they’ll make decent target practice, he thought, hurling one of his rocks like a bullet towards one of the targets. It slammed into the skin of an unarmored Sectoid, not quite puncturing but certainly doing damage. The alien reeled back, stunned, and Marx took the opportunity to fire a few rounds into its chest before changing location. As he ran, he ducked under the shots of the other Sectoids, grabbing the rest of his rocks and hurling them in a shotgun spread towards his targets. He quickly followed up with his alloy blade, rushing up and bringing it down on the closest one’s head while finishing the other off with a blast from his pistol.

“Session complete. Well done, Private Tvarnov,” the ship’s computer congratulated him.

The double doors slid apart, and a man with a buzzcut showed his approval with a few claps rather than words as he walked in. “Saw the tail end of that on the viewscreen outside. Not bad, though I personally find firearms more practical than throwing rocks.”

“I have plenty of practice with firearms, and it wasn’t just ‘throwing rocks.’” He noted, turning to the man.

“Psionics are cool and all - I assume that’s what you were doing, unless it was magic by chance,” Tomislav noted, not seeming to be sarcastic about the other option, “but at the end of the day bullets are more effective. Seems like it’d be really handy for creating mobile cover in six out of seven continents, though.”

“As long as no one sends me to the Arctic, I should be fine then.” Marx replied.

“I’m sure you’re hoping we get done with this Antarctic campaign as soon as possible then,” Tom remarked with a chuckle.

“You could say that again.” He crossed his arms, “I’d use the rockwall trick here but… not real rock…”

“Well, I’m sure you’re a competent soldier even without your psionics. I’ve yet to really meet anyone here that hasn’t been. Seems to me like the trials of the past few months have made XCOM’s troops into capable forces - if they weren’t before,” Tomislav analyzed with a nod of approval.

“What about you? You’re not a soldier?” Marx asked, collecting his rocks.

“Not a pure soldier would be a more accurate way to put it,” Tomislav corrected with a shake of his head. “I’m a fighter alright, been doing that for the past nine years and I’ve already worked my way up to Corporal here. The other half of what I do is based on invention, assisting the engineering team in creating new technologies… plus, I helped create the Harrier class. You could call me its father.”

“All about damage right? Good offensive is the best defense? I can respect that.” The Russian stated, looking up at him.

“Well, spitting fire and blasting apart cover is cool in its own right, though making swordsmanship useful in the modern era is a feat of its own reserved for you Rangers and Phantoms,” Tomislav returned reverently. “Ayame in particular, of course.”

Marx perked his head up when he heard the name. “Ayame? I’ve had a few fights with her, so I know how good she is.”

“She’s good at more than just combat… great conversationalist, well-informed, and has an all-around cute-as-hell body,” Tomislav listed off admiringly.

“You have a thing for her? Good luck pal…” He smirked slightly.

Tomislav chuckled. “I’m dating her right now actually, so I am pretty lucky.”

Marx’s eyes widened slightly, remembering his most recent encounter with the woman, “Right… Well, I have a pretty good idea who wears the pants in that relationship…”

Tomislav raised an eyebrow. “Not sure what you mean by that.”

“Well, seems like she would be the one calling the shots…” Marx explained.

“Isn’t it like that to some extent with all women?”

“Maybe for you... “ The Russian replied.

“Hmph, I hope you aren’t implying that I’m more passive than you are,” Tomislav responded with an amused smirk. “Remind me who’s the officer and who’s the private, again? For clarification, I’d be the former… and I am fairly certain my charisma for those under my command translates to getting what I want in a relationship.”

“I feel like you should know I managed to take your girlfriend in a sparring match… have you?” Marx boasted casually.

Tomislav raised an eyebrow. “Well, she certainly hasn’t mentioned it.”

“If you think she’d mention something like that, then maybe you should get to know her better.” He pointed out.

“Ah-ah-ah, you’re putting words in my mouth,” Tom responded, wagging a finger. “I wouldn’t expect an expert swordswoman to admit to being matched in skill.”

“I think you may have dodged my question…” Marx said, “Have you beaten her?”

The Harrier’s eyebrow twitched. “I… assume you’re asking if I’ve won in a sparring match, not if I’ve engaged in domestic violence. And no, I haven’t thought to pick a fight with her yet. Though if said hypothetical match had no limitations on gear… well, I think the odds would be in my favor.”

“I doubt it… All we would have to do is knock you off balance and find a nice weak spot in the fancy suit of yours,” the Ranger stated.

“I’d mow you down with my fancy customized rifle before you had a chance to do any of those things. Ayame’d have a better chance sneaking up on me, I have a feeling you’re just charge headlong into my line of fire,” Tomislav supposed.

“I can take plenty of hits… I’d only need one on you, hopefully that first clip would be enough…” Marx smirked, stretching.

“If it wasn’t, I’d do to you what I did to that Prowler… open up a hole in you armor, and then make you into the Human Torch,” Tomislav countered, seeming to thoroughly enjoy this strategic dickwaving.

“I may die, but I’d make sure you did first… even if I was on fire.”

“Remind me to never make an enemy out of you… I could easily see you as rising from the dead through sheer force of anger after I killed you,” Tomislav remarked, furrowing his brow in thought. Like someone else I know…

“Speaking of rising from the dead… how do you feel about people accusing Ayame of being some sort of vampire? Feels like it’s everyone at this point… it’s ridiculous…” The Russian asked, sighing.

“Um… you realize that isn’t an accusation, right? That’s not an entirely accurate description… but she is, well… on the supernatural side of things,” Tomislav tried to explain flatteringly.

“You can’t be serious…” he stated simply.

“Okay, hear me out… when I was joking about being resurrected through pure rage alone… that’s not possible, but apparently alongside some sort of concoction that can cause someone to persist as an… undead. I realize that sounds insane, but that’s what she told me herself. I didn’t believe her at first, and I still wonder if it’s related to psionics rather than mysticism and all that crap… but she can drain the life energy from people, and needs that to live. Either she’s a permanent psi zombie, or… there’s more to the world than we yet understand.”

“Or maybe… It’s all an elaborate running joke and she’s going along with it for fun…” Marx added.

“Dude, she literally was able to suck out my life force. She knows way more about the world than a person her apparent age should possibly know, and certainly is way more talented than a sixteen to twenty year old should probably be. I might not be quite able to grasp the idea of her being a zombie-vampire-thing, but all the evidence corroborates her claim that she’s been around for hundreds of years.”

“Or maybe you know less than a person your age should know…” Marx sighed stubbornly, before replying with a smirk, “But at least it sounds like your sex life is good.”

“Been dating her for a week. Haven’t quite gotten there just yet, though I am looking forward to it…” Tomislav mused.

“Just don’t let her drain too much ‘life force’ by sucking…” he replied sarcastically.

“I’m fairly certain the life-drain isn’t an ‘always-on’ thing…”

“Yeah… so am I…”

“Whatever do you mean by that?” Tom questioned.

“Pretty sure it’s a ‘never-on’ thing…”

Tom crossed his arms, offering up a sardonic grin. “Well, if you still refuse to believe me, then why don’t you go and prove me wrong? I’m sure she’d enjoy replenishing her strength with the vitality of a skeptic.”

“Oh yeah sure… and maybe I’ll find myself a nice crossbow and change my name to Van Hellsing…” The Ranger responded, “I’ll take you up on that… although I’m fairly certain that this joke has been going on far too long for her to just stop it now…”

“You’ll see…” Tom responded cryptically.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and ZombieSplitter53: “Chrysopoeia”

0706 Hours, September 25th, 2038
Onboard the Avenger
Floor 3, Central Block
The Shadow Chamber

A dim, electronic whine permeated the violet-tinted Shadow Chamber as its occupants waited. For the past week, the ship's computer had been devoting much of her processing power towards cracking the firewall surrounding the golden vial that had been recovered from the Alien Blacksite beneath the Ross Ice Shelf. The going had been slow, to say the least. Despite Seshat's familiarity with the strange alien encryption so similar to hers, this bio-psi-electronic encoding was more intricate than anything the Codex had direct access to before. The heavy security at AHF-018 had already confirmed that the contents of the vial were top-secret and incredibly important to the Protectorate's machinations, and the difficulty Seshat had in accessing what was inside the container merely corroborated this fact.

The slightly-irritating buzz ceased abruptly, and Seshat's 'brain' that was lying on the counter in front of XCOM's Chief Engineer suddenly rose into the air. The mixture of telekinetic fields and hardlight that comprised the synthetic being's body formed around its core. "Decryption is complete, Dr. Shen," the Codex reported.

"Thank you, Seshat," Lily replied in gratitude, flicking on one of the computer screens at her workstation. "Help me sift through to find the important files so we can hand them over to Jenn. I have a feeling we're not going to like what we discover, though," An-Yi noted grimly.

"They are already systematically taking people from the gene therapy clinics, brutally weeding out those not psionically inclined, and then processing their 'optimal' test subjects," Tygan remarked, stepping back from his own setup and going over to Chambers' side. "I hardly expect us to reveal something objectively worse at this stage."

"Don't be so sure... um, sir." Jennifer's eyes darted about the screen as she typed. "We don't know exactly what they doing with the people they take, and from the looks of things, it isn't as simple as killing them discreetly. If fighting ADVENT has taught me one thing, it is things can always end up worse."

Robert sighed. "I suppose you're right, unfortunately."

Lily looked over her computer. "Alright, here's something. Seshat, can you confirm whether or not the material in the vial is indeed organic from this file?"

Tygan looked over the computer screen in front of Jennifer as an answer was pulled from the files. "It's not just organic... these are DNA sequences... thousands of them, all wound into one small container."

"Why, though?" Jennifer pulled through individual base pairs. "Seshat, are these all human sequences?"

"Indeed. Through there is a secondary role to this device. It is not merely a storage unit, but also has an interior processesers. As we speak, it is continually analyzing all the genomes, attempting to determine compatibility with a simulated nonhuman sequence I am unfamiliar with. It does not match any of the DNA codes in the XCOM database, so it is an enemy we have not successfully defeated in the field."

"They're searching for something," Jennifer whispered, mostly to herself, but loud enough for the others to hear. "They have some kind of problem that they need specific DNA to fix. But what? Who's genetic material could this belong to if we haven't seen it? There can't be that many aliens yet to be seen, can there?"

Tygan froze, a thought occurring to him. "I was informed that the target of the rescue operation that was going on simultaneously to the defense of the Avenger discovered something about the Ethereals. That the one he encountered was ancient yet looked youthful and healthy. Could it be possible that..."

"...they need our DNA for perpetual health," Lily finished somberly. "Is that what this Avatar Project is, then?"

"Likely. However, the simulated fusion of DNA that is taking place within the vial does not appear to be consistent with gene therapy models used in the Megacities. It appears to be less of a patching method, and more of a matching process. While the Elder that Isaac Anderson encountered may well have been using human DNA as a vitality boost, that begs the question: why is this effective, and what does it have to do with this particular device? I must continue searching the stored data for answers."

"At any rate, whatever the reason, they can use our DNA to revitalize themselves." Jennifer rubbed her forehead. "Like Elizabeth Báthory, they intend to drain us and bathe in our metaphorical blood. This is... sick. How can they use another species like this, even one they see as beneath them?"

"Even if you consider the perspective that we are merely animals, humans have ethical standards for experimentation..." Tygan echoed.

"I don't understand what they think could possibly justify this," Lily growled. "Nothing is worth thousands of people being melted down into a genetic solution!"

"...Dr. Tygan, Dr. Shen, Dr. Chambers," Seshat called out, an uncharacteristically emotional edge to her voice. "I believe I have found their reason."

Jennifer took several deep breaths to calm herself. "I'm sorry, Seshat. Please, go ahead."

"The Tabes Telum," Seshat offered as an answer. "That is the name the Ethereal Ones gave the bioweapon that currently afflicts every single living member of their species. It is comprised of a highly-advanced nanite virus that blends directly to base pairings and then infects the nervous system." On the main screen an image of an Ethereal appeared, their flesh slowly caving in on itself - shriveling up into dust over the course of a slideshow of images. "The Tabes Telum results in severe muscular atrophy, and is especially effective against those with high psionic aptitude due to the link of those powers to the nervous system."

The next slideshow depicted the injection of human DNA into the gaps of the Ethereal genome that the Tabes Telum devoured. "Their health is preserved by the introduction of human DNA. Not only is it remarkably compatible, but the human body appears to have some sort of antibody that staves off the nanites. However, they can never be removed - no technology invented in centuries of research has cured the disease, and this Aeternum Solution is not a cure either. It merely delays the inevitable, and requires entirely new gene codes each time the Tabes Telum roots out the obstacle to the consumption of its host."

Seshat shook her head. "The Ethereal race is doomed, even with their method of grafting human DNA onto their own. This vial... is not part of that process. It is... something else entirely."

"Something more permanent no doubt." Jennifer sat back, thinking. "It... it's called the Avatar Project, right. This... it is remarkably easy to implant human DNA into the genetic code of the Elders. Do you suppose the opposite is true? Implanting their DNA into our genome?"

"What would that accomplish?" Robert questioned. "I doubt they simply want to live on in spirit through hybrids..."

"Well... it's called the Avatar Project." Jenn turned to Tygan. "What if they are turning people into Avatars. Looking for comparable humans to literally live on through."

"I don't suppose you have any idea how they'd manage to transfer their consciousness like that, do you?" Lily questioned the synthetic being next to her. Seshat shook her head. "Thought so..."

"Maybe they found a way... maybe they plan to find away later." Jennifer frowned. "Or maybe I'm wrong. It's just an idea. It is hard to see the while picture when I'm missing several pieces of the puzzle. But... well to be honest, that is one of the worse things I can think of them doing, so that is why I'm inclined towards it."

Seshat shut off her optics for a moment. "There is one final thing interesting about the data contained within the vial. One moment... hm, curious. I was not expecting to find a workaround to that." Turning her eyes back on, the Codex reported, "I have found authentication keys locked away in the recesses of my mind... and they have provided me access to the coordinates where the vial was meant to be taken. It will take some time to decrypt them, but if we are to raid that facility it might answer our remaining questions."

"Indeed it would," Tygan replied with a nod.

"Though that won't be the first objective on the list right now," Lily remarked. "We've got the hard evidence we need to prove to the world that the Elders are providing this 'utopia' at the expense of their own citizens. The Commander said that once we had that, it'd be time for another broadcast."

Jennifer couldn't help but smile. "Oh, I would love to see them try and explain this away. A clearly Alien made item filled with human genetic materials, press them helmet can footage of all those poor people on the base. I'm sure they'll come up with some story to try and cover this up. But the seed of doubt will be planted in even the most loyal human."

DarkGemini24601

“Prelude to the End of the Beginning”

The armory was alive with movement, and thick with tension. The most important set of missions XCOM had yet undertook were about to be underway. Everything they had done up until this point had led to this moment. It was time to procure the means to broadcast the truth to the populace that the Resistance could not currently get their message to. It was time to bring the crimes against humanity that the aliens had committed into the light for all to see. It was time to wake the world up. However, that task would not be easy: between launching an assault on a moving monorail and a raiding a maximum-security newsroom, this would be no walk in the park - this was dangerous work that would require precise timing.

Fully aware that they might not all return to the Avenger in one piece, the six members of Maverick Squad had gathered around. Five of them were uncertain about the presence of the sixth, and the soldier closest to Olivia brought it up.

“Are you… sure about this?” Stacie questioned apprehensively. “I’m not sure you’re well enough to be going on a combat operation.”

“I can’t just sit around and do nothing. You guys are going to need me… I can handle tension and stress for something this important,” Olivia insisted courageously.

“...I’ll allow it, but you’d better be coming on the op with me… and you’d better take a break after we’re done here,” the Texan Gunslinger decided with a sigh and a shake of her head.

“We’re good, then… that’s what I signed up for… I just worry about the second team,” Olivia mumbled.

“We can handle it. You’ll be there to defend your squad… I’ll be on the second part to protect mine,” Adam stated confidently. “Do not attempt to carry the entire world on your shoulders…”

“Good advice,” Christoffer echoed, glancing at a certain caped Ranger sitting on a bench off to the side - near the weapon racks.

“Don’t want to end up like her… she’s going to be a pain in the ass on our half of things, isn’t she?” Heinrich noted with a groan.

“Best if we leave personal concerns out of it, and just focus on the mission,” Adam opined.

“Again, agreed,” Chris stated with a nod of approval.

XCOM Mission Parameters

Rail Line ‘Gelu’, Bastion Megacity in the Municipality of Antarctica
0927 Hours, September 28th, 2038
Capture AAN reporter Ryson Orrak

XCOM Forces

SGT Sinclair, Leon [Grenadier]
CPL Likuga, Qamut [Enforcer]
SQ Belle, Stacie [Gunslinger]
SQ Tylers, Willow [Phantom]
SQ Brown, Olivia [Ambusher]
SQ De Saint Pierre, Gwendoline [Juggernaut]

Operation Glass Bullet

We have all the evidence we need to bring the alien’s crimes against humanity to the public’s attention. The difficulty in doing that revolves around how. A particular broadcasting station has been chosen for the purposes of reaching those in the megacities - the tower at the South Pole that houses the Advent Administration News - but actually breaking into it is not so easy. There are defensive emplacements everywhere. To actually get inside we will need to send in a spy to disable their early warning systems and scanning grid - even if only for half a minute.

For that operative to have any chance of making it inside, though, they’ll need access codes. Those can only be found on either a reporter, or an officer on security detail. Our particular target - in the interest of not tipping off the aliens to our aim and having them change the codes - will be the former. We’ve selected our target, a young man around the early to mid-twenties range by the name of Ryson Orrak, currently in the enclosed city of Bastion. With a bit of probing into the Advent Network and some tips from people in the city, we’ve ascertained that he will be riding a monorail train at the designated mission time. Our goal is simple - capture the reporter, and thus gain access to their codes.

The difficulty comes from the size of the deployment zone, and all associated hazards. A moving train is a dangerous place to be, and thus ordnance use will be severely limited. In addition, the squad size must be kept small, so Menace 1-5 will be limited to six operatives for this half of the mission. Your operation is vital to the success of the second half of this initiative. Good luck.

Protected from snowfall and southern winds by a greenhouse-like array of glass panes, its length comprised of durable hybrid alloys - painted a pleasant silver-white - that could withstand the force of a minor crash in the unlikely event that would ever occur, a high-velocity ADVENT monorail sped along a track between two parts of the city. Called Bastion, it was designed similarly to the train, with a layer of glass keeping the elements out and the artificial heating in. It was one of the more intricate and beautiful Antarctican Megacities. If all went well, Menace 1-5 would see very little of Bastion. Their aim was to hit the train hard and fast, to get the package before reinforcements could arrive or the train reached a station. That gave them about 20 minutes.

Accordingly, when Firebrand dropped the team of six out of the Skyranger, they quite literally crashed through a skylight, landing on the metal floor and opening fire. The surprised contingent of ADVENT forces at the caboose of the monorail stood little chance against the ambush, and collectively crumpled into a smoking heap. Menace 1-5 rushed by them, advancing to the next car and garnering a similar result with the occupants of that part of the train. However, their good luck only took them so far.

A more challenging enemy force presented itself in the form of an Officer leading a group of three Troopers alongside some more advanced troops. These additional soldiers included an Assassin - who quickly ducked out of view - a Banshee and a new unit that didn’t match any prior reports. The operative had fairly lightweight armor that was painted a simple black with some streaks of red and gold on their helmet and shoulderpads. Their weapons were far more interesting, consisting of what looked like one of XCOM’s polarity rifles and a shortened magnetic shotgun - an S.S.G.

While this unique enemy operative took good cover, his C.O. lit up the XCOM squad with a wave of telepathic targeting assistance, and the Banshee took a shot with her shotgun. The spray of alloy shards flew towards the team, and battered their armor plating - doing little else than rattle them at this distance. However, with a flash of light, the enemy shotgunner utilized the temporary cloaking that their armor had built-in to close the gap without their foes being able to return fire. The three Troopers set up behind a trio of passenger seats, taking aim.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and MarineAvenger: “Operation Glass Bullet” - Part 1

Leon opened up his side of the fight by spinning up his large gun in order to blast away the cover of the enemy officer. It did no damage to the officer himself, but left the leader susceptible to enemy fire. “Focus him, we don’t need to be lit up and give those mooks an advantage. Tylers be on the lookout of that new unit.”

“U-Uh… got it boss!” One of the newer XCOM operatives noted over the comms, the girl being on her first mission with the organization after she was brought on by a resistance cell she had been apart of. She kept her eyes opened for the enemy by going into an overwatch state.

Gwen herself was by Willow, planting down the shield she carried in favor of her twin pistols, giving covering fire for Leon’s maneuver in order to keep him safe from retaliation. Olivia took up the opportunity provided by the Grenadier’s demolishing fire, lifting her bolt caster and letting the round fly. It didn’t hit the Officer head-on - perhaps a miss, or perhaps a result of some minor application of telekinesis. It was too fast to tell.

Regardless, Stacie was there to pick up her slack, taking one shot at lightning speeds and then following up with a second blast from her revolver to finish off the enemy group’s CO. Swapping out to her blitz coilers, she blew away one of the Troopers and caused the other to duck deeper into cover. “Cleaning house. Still got no idea where that Banshee went. Scanner, anyone?”

“Oh! Uh… one moment…” Willow reached back, taking out the device, looking it over and poked at it several times, finally getting it to activate as she rolled it across the train floor.

Unfortunately, the delay gave the Advent shotgunner more than enough time to maneuver - and target the troublesome Phantom. Their position was indicated just as they prepared to fire. Reacting reflexively, Olivia squeezed her eyes shut and delivered a silent plea. The broken form of Pavise appeared, lifting its one good shield-hand over Willow and protecting her from the point-blank shotgun blast - though it seemed to exert the Ambusher that summoned the Reflection heavily to do so.

In order to payback the ADVENT woman, the prepared Tylers drew her sword and charged forward, going for a strike against the shotgunner due to the proximity giving both of them an edge in terms of their weapon use. Unable to do anything other than raise her weapon in defense, the Banshee’s shotgun was cleaved in half, and the sword dealt some minor damage to their tightly-plated armor. They staggered back, not quite out of the fight, but a follow-up from the Phantom finished the job.

The thunder of an LMG filled the train, and the other two Advent Troopers were riddled with bullets. Qamut gave a nod of approval, but at that same moment a sniper rifle round came from the back of the train car and struck him through his plated shield, tearing a deep rent in his armor. “Damn Assassin!”

The Assassin wasn’t the only one to act either. The new Advent unit revealed some of its capabilities at that time. It placed a small red circle over the barrel of Stacie’s revolver. When she tried to fire her weapon, the bullets seemed to be vaporized before exiting her gun. Next, the ADVENT Arbitrator targeted Leon himself - or, at least, something on his person. One of his shard grenades began to glow bright red like a miniature star.

“Shit!” Spending his time studying psionic capabilities as well as common sense told him to chuck the thing as soon as possible, grabbing the grenade and wildly tossing it forward as hard as he could. Meanwhile, Gwen popped up and targeted the Arbitrator, firing off first from her revolver and next from her regular pistol. The lightly-armored enemy soldier had little remedy for bullets to the chest, and crumpled into a heap. The Assassin took this opportunity to bolt, vanishing from sight once again as they retreated further back into the train.

Venturing further forward, the squad encountered the allies he had sought out. What appeared like a trio of civilian passengers revealed themselves to be something entirely else when they pulled out a plasma sniper pistol each. As they did, a pair of small, sleek black hovercraft with frames similar to those of Seekers revealed themselves for a moment, and then were invisible the next.

“Be careful of those Seekers. Group up and watch for sniper fire.” Leon ordered, firing off at said assassin in order to pin them down and keep them in place.

The trio of Mimics set up shop behind pillars within the train, and lined up precise shots that were only stopped from wreaking havoc by the quick placement of plated shields by Gwen and Qamut. With the mobile defenses guarding the front, there were three sides for the flying enemy robots to appear from. Rather than come in from the back like expected, the pair decloaked on the sides, firing a precise, piercing stream of pulse lasers into the sides of their targets. Qamut and Gwen’s armor plating was torn up by the exotic gunfire, and if they had been wearing more conventional body armor they might have been dead in one go.

Gwen turned to the quick flier closest to her and fired, at it, doing significant damage but not destroying it, leaving the job up to Tylers who fired at it at medium range with her shotgun, grazing the machine but hitting it in the already damaged area, doing just the little push enough to destroy it. Leon called on Stacie to focus on the Mimics so that they would not be overtaken from the front trying to protect their sides.

Gonna need your help for this one, Stacie requested of the A.I. in her head. “Olivia, try and disable one of those guys.”

Taking a deep breath, she sprang out of cover, heading straight for the three alien chameleons. The first of them was brought to the ground before he had a chance to fire thanks to magnetized cables launched from Olivia’s coilpack, but the other two took precise shots at Stacie. They seemed as if they would certainly hit her - one was aimed at her head, and the other at her heart. However, in a burst of unexpected motion, the Gunslinger ducked downwards and left, and returned fire with her blitz coilers. The two Mimics’ torsos were perforated by magnetized slugs, and thin jets of toxic gas exited their bodies as they crumpled to the floor.

Leon watched Stacie with a hint of pain and regret due to the continued silence of his own A.I., though his distraction caused him to be shot at from the Seeker, taking some damage to his left arm and side. With one arm injured, he had to pull his sidearm out to return fire at the machine, causing it to fly away. He sat behind his cover, holding onto his injuries. Closing his eyes, he tried to reach out. Psyma… please… I’m sorry. I need you. We are partners. Leon thought, hoping desperately that there would be an answer. To his dismay, there was none.

Gwen looked over at her brother and her jaw tightened, firing at the exposed Mimic to down it - all while moving over to the Grenadier. “Hey, you still with us?” The French girl asked with both concern and annoyance, the source being many different things.

Leon slowly nodded, trying to move his arm but all he felt was the pain of the burns that got through his protection. “I was careless and now I am paying the price for it I guess.”

“Come on, don’t talk like that you idiot.” The sister encouraged, knocking Leon on the side of the helmet, looking up as their last enemy was dispatched easily. “Look, you’re our leader and we need you. Now we got… too little time to be sitting around wallowing, so get your shit together and mope later, ‘kay?”

The Canadian man looked up and he slowly nodded, looking at his arm. “I’m going to be a bit limited…”

“Well, I may have swiped something for you before we headed out.” Gwen noted, reaching behind herself and pulled out the broken hilt they had recovered from Morpheus, tossing it in his lap. “An-Yi was told the thing would activate in battle. Who knows? If nothing else, it will be a good luck charm.” The Juggernaut moved over to the fallen Seeker close to Leon and knelt down, activating a special pack attached to her armor that sent out tiny nanites to cannibalize the armor plating from the robotic unit to replace her own damaged places. “No come on numb nuts. Time constraints, remember?”

“Yeah, I remember.” Leon grabbed the hilt and placed it on his belt, standing up and looking to their Phantom. “Tylers, come here.”

Willow turned her head and quickly made her way over, saluting before realizing how stupid it was and awkwardly lowered her arm. “Sir?”

“How close are we to target?” The team leader asked, and the woman pulled out a electronic map depicting the train. “We are near the front and running out of time… great. Qamut, you got point. We have to double time ahead.”

Last edited: