RP XCOM: The Story of Defiance.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “An Unusual Request”

XCOM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
December 1st, 2018
Gene Lab

Jessica leaned in close to her computer. “Ssh… not so loud. I’m not suppose to be talking to you in here!”

“Then turn the volume down, dummy,” Francis muttered. “You are a scientist, right?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Shut up…”

“So, where are you going once you’re finished?”

Jessica sat back and thought. “I… I’m not sure. I’ll miss you and mom and dad, and I’ll visit whenever I can, but I think I’ll go to Russia with Modya.”

Francis nodded. “Okay… but you need to send me pictures of the babies when they’re born.”

Jessica smiled. “Upset you’re an uncle at such a young age?”

Francis grinned back. “Upset you’re a mom?”

Both shook their head, and shared a laugh. The sound of approaching footsteps made Jessica jump forward. “Gotta go! Tell mom and dad I love them! Don’t tell them about Russia, I will!”

Atka glanced at the now-blank screen curiously for a moment, and then shook her head. “Who were you talking to?”

Jessica laughed nervously. “Oh, it… i-it was… just another… scientist guy… about the… gene… stuff…”

The Inuit woman raised an eyebrow. “You’re a terrible liar, you know.”

Jessica’s shoulders slumped. “I… I’m sorry. It was my brother, I… haven’t had many chances to talk with him, I… sorry…”

The scout shrugged. “I’m not mad at you, I was just curious.”

“Oh… okay, sorry…” Jessica smiled. “Tensions are really high right now, some it’s left me a little… jumpy. That, and the… ahem… mood swings.” She tilted her head. “So, what can I do for you? Wanna jump in one of the pods?”

Atka rubbed the back of her neck. “Actually… yeah.”

Jessica blinked several times. “I… really? I mean… you… you want to…” She pointed at one of the pods. “Something wrong?”

“It has to do with my new ability. The telekinetic barrier I use, as you may or may not know, requires my blood in order to be activated.” Atka shook her head. “The problem is, I can’t just be doing that whenever I want to. I’ll end up draining myself dry. At the same time, though, I can’t let a valuable defensive tool like that go to waste. I… I may not have been as cautious as I should have been about my own life in the past, but I don’t plan on dying now. There are too many people dear to me for that to happen.”

The Colonel sighed, concluding, “So my thinking was that I could get adaptive bone marrow in order to regenerate blood lost to create the telekinetic barriers.”

A wide smile spread across Jessica’s face. “That’s an excellent idea. And I can get you in right away.” Her smile dimmed a bit. “I… I know how hard this is, but I promise you, you’ll be in the best of hands. I… you’re just improving yourself, and helping your new body. It isn’t… that bad, really.”

Atka nodded hesitantly. “I wouldn’t do it if not for the fact that this particular genetic modification doesn’t invoke alien DNA. As much as I don’t mind some of them… I don’t feel like getting injected with Balmadaar blood or the like.”

Jessica chuckled. “You’re right about that.” She turned to her computer, typing rapidly as she brought up the files on the appropriate gene-mod. “This mod only uses MELD to naturally increase your own natural abilities. Think of it like… how you might take melatonin if you were having trouble sleeping. And I can probably customize it for you too, if you’d like.”

“How so?” Atka asked, glancing at the information even if she couldn’t wrap her head around most of it.

“Well, the white blood cells take longer than the blood itself takes to replenish, so I’ll make sure they get special attention. I’ll also make sure you’ll get a release of iron, folic acid, and vitamin C and E. So not only will your blood replenish faster from the modification itself, but the release of vitamins and minerals will bring it back even faster.”

Atka smiled. “That’s perfect. I just hope you don’t mind me using your research to make it easier to cut myself… That… sounded a lot worse than it actually is.”

Jessica laughed. “Just… just promise me you’ll only do it during a fight. I have a reputation to keep…” Jessica thought for a moment, wondering if that was actually true.

“Yeah, though it really sucks that I can’t train it,” Atka responded. “Hard to use an ability you don’t have much practice with.”

Jessica tapped her fingers against the desk, biting her lip. “You, uh… you always… could, as long as you have a green psion with you. Maybe that Ethereal girl would help…” She clammed up, uncomfortable talking about something that means hurting a friend.

Atka laid a hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, I’m not going to do anything excessive. Honestly, I could probably just have someone take my blood through a more medical means, and then I could practice with it soon after.” The scout shuddered. “Not the biggest fan of needles, though. Such is the price one pays for power.”

“True, but that would be the easiest.” Jessica grinned. “And I know it would get Chandra off your back to know you have a bag or two waiting just in case.”

“You don’t know fear until you’re experienced her wrath,” Atka replied with another shudder. “Is there anything else you need to know, or I need to know, before we proceed?”

Jessica shook her head. “Only that you should take it easy when you get out. Skip exercise for at least a day. Other then that, you are all set to jump in.”

“Alright. Thank you for all your help, Jessica,” Atka finished, walking towards the pod in question.

As the pod closed and began to fill, Jessica asked, “Did you… need me to tell anyone where you are?”

Atka shrugged. “Tell Ayame, Morrigan will find out via her own channels I’m sure. Already talked to Jake about it, so no worries there.”

Jessica nodded, and watched the pod fill completely up. She smiled, knowing this was exactly the kind of thing she hoped she could do when she first started studying genetics.

========================

December 4th, 2018
Gene Lab

The tank slowly drained away the orange fluid, and Jake leaned closer to Jessica. “And you said she’s okay in there?”

“Yes, for the hundredth time!” Alexia rolled her eyes. “Now shush, or you can leave. I’m doing you a favor letting you be here.”

Jake frowned, muttering, “Well, with how many favors you owe me…”

Atka slowly stepped out of the tank, a bit woozy but handling it better than some of the previous occupants. “Oh...uh…” she squinted, the light hurting her eyes a bit. “Hello Jake.”

“Oh, uh… hi, Atka.” Jake blushed, diverting his eyes. “You… f-feeling alright?” Didn’t really think this one through, did you, Jake?

Atka smiled in amusement when she figured out the problem. “I am. I remember why the occupants of the tanks were usually rather particular about who was in the room, though.”

Alexia smiled. “Sorry, he insisted, and I couldn’t help but see the look on his face.”

Jake frowned. “This favor doesn’t count…”

The Inuit woman chuckled. “So, did it work out alright?”

“Yup.” Alexia stepped over to the computer, typing on it briefly. “Genetic modifications took with zero complications, even with Jessica’s changes. You’re going to be a bit off today, but by this time tomorrow, you should feel like a million bucks.”

Atka nodded. “Well, thank you again for the help… I’m sure it’ll come in handy more than once.”

Alexia bowed her head. “Of course. Always happy to help.”

Jake held Atka’s clothes out, still diverting his eyes. “You… you should probably get some rest, but I’m sure after three days, your family would like to see you.”

The Colonel took the clothes, and started getting them on. “You’re right about that.” You’ve seen me in much less, you know, she added telepathically.

Jake smiled. And I… loved it… but you still deserve your privacy.

Atka shrugged. Fair enough. Finished dressing, she followed Jake out of the gene labs, planning on actually resting this time.

Taxor_the_First

My Innermost Apocalypse, Part 2

???
???

There was the door, again. The same sounds of laughter and socialization, the same smell of wet grass and wood, the same pitter-patter of rain outside. Again, the dread washed over her, and she walked up to the door to look through the eyehole. Again, she saw the silhouette approaching.

But now, Penny had a resolve sorely lacking in each dream before. Without waiting for her guests to ask her to, she locked the door.

Peering through the hole again, she noticed the figure had frozen in its tracks, unmoving. It stood there for a moment, then began walking away again, disappearing out onto the footpath. Penny breathed a sigh of relief. Now she knew how to get rid of it.

Hence her surprise when she was tackled to the ground.

“What the hell?!”

The figure, wearing dark clothing, reared their head upwards, fierce eyes boring into her own.

“Dad?”

Her father smiled, though the smile was malicious. “And don’t you forget it!” he snapped, slapping her in the face, the sudden aggression taking her off guard. He got off her and pulled her up by the collar.

“Why are you…?” Penny swallowed, in her dream-state not noticing the lights had gone off and her guests had seemingly left. “Why did you hit me?”

Isaac was still smiling that smile. “Because, you’ve forgotten who you are. Who I am. You need to remember.” He pulled her in close, getting up in her face. “And also because I enjoy it,” he said, swinging a punch at her face and allowing her to drop to the ground.

Feebly, she tried to fight back, but her father already had the advantage. “You stupid girl,” he said, getting on top of her and throwing punches at her repeatedly. “Do you remember now?” he shouted, getting into a rhythm. “I asked you a question!”

Penny tried to respond, but found herself unable to as her father continued to lay into her, the look in his eyes one of pure, animalistic anger.

“Do you remember now?!”

X-COM HQ, Siberia, Civilian Quarters
6:02 AM, December 4th

Then she opened her eyes and he was no longer there. Wait, who? She scratched her head, the dream fading away into nothing but half-sensed emotions and feelings.

Penny sat there for a moment, trying to recall any aspect of the dream. After a while, however, she gave up and went back to lying down, waiting for sleep to take her once again.

But yet again, whenever she came close, that same sense of dread enveloped her, and she was dragged back from the brink. After a few hours, she gave up and got up, moving to prepare for work early. Maybe Vahlen would take pity on her and give her an early finish. One could only hope.

Adrammalech

// ACCEPTANCE //
Emily Fischer
XCOM Headquarters – Alien Containment Unit
Siberia, Russian Federation
November 25th, 2018 - 1:17 PM

Emily walked into the Alien Containment Facility with a small bundle in her hand, a delicately folded dress with ruby embellishments and Luxuria’s mask. She nodded towards the scientists and headed into Luxuria’s holding unit, hearing a small series of sniffles and groans. As she walked through the door, Luxuria immediately detected her, leaping out of bed and rushing to her new vanity, trying to make herself up in the presence of company.

“E-Emily…good to see you…”

“Luxuria? Were you…crying?”

“I…I’m afraid so. I’m suffering from your kind’s…infernal sentimentality…”

“Why, what’s wrong?”

Luxuria sucked in a sharp breath, making sure her face was spotless before turning around. “Avaritia…I miss him. Ethereals do not grieve, they only die proudly during a duty or die pointlessly doing nothing else, and others react accordingly. But your…goddamn influence makes me miss him.”

“How’s that my fault? He was your friend, it’s natural to miss him once he’s gone.”

“It’s your fault because you imposed these useless human emotions on me! Why should I feel sad and regretful over something I can’t change?”

“I know you’re upset, but it’s good to grieve, Luxuria. It makes you more…”

Human?” Luxuria scowled.

“I…suppose that saying is a little more difficult after first contact.”

Luxuria gave an exasperated sigh, knowing she was lashing out but not wanting to apologize.

“I had a question I wanted to ask you, a serious one that’s been bugging me since Invidia died,” Emily said.

“What?”

“Sybille is getting close to recovering fully, if the doctors are to be believed. Invidia had clones exactly like Atka, even with her memories. Why’d you traumatize those girls, research all about me when you could’ve just done something sneaky and cloned me?”

“It’s complicated. It’s about my ideas on Ascension,” Luxuria answered, uninterested in continuing.

“Your ideas?”

Luxuria sighed, seeing that she would keep inquiring until she explained. “Although the government and the Path work in a totalitarian manner, the ideas of Ascension are open to interpretation. So long as you continue the work and aid the process, you are free to believe as you will. An example, I believed that humans would make for vessels to unlock the physical psionics that have long since atrophied; Ira believed that Ethereals were meant to be the one, and by flexing our cosmological power we would one day reach Ascension by ourselves. An intellectual society such as ours needs debate, it craves it, and this is where it comes from. In the neat box the Creator and Doubter have given us.”

“I mean, that’s interesting, but what does that have to do with cloning? Why would that make me a good target compared to a clone?”

“Every Ethereal has a rival. Someone they can debate and argue with endlessly, sometimes in a friendly manner, sometimes in a hostile manner. Avaritia was mine. We would argue for days at a time, then the next, we would be helping each other on some project or with a paper. There is no term for it, but it is an unspoken thing that we all develop once we are old enough to reason. A clone offers no resistance, no passion. Even imprinted with memories and knowledge, the clone may not attribute hatred or disagreement with you, often it will see you a mother if not a master.”

“So you need to be taking over someone’s body to get your rivalry, is what you’re saying?”

“To get Ascension. It cannot come just by swapping skins and remaining unchanged. It requires a transformation, body and mind. I still believe it could’ve been a beautiful symbiosis between us, maybe even one to usher in Ascension.”

“Even if your Ascension is as important as you say, it’s too much of a cost for me to consider,” Emily crossed her arms. “Besides, why would you need me now, or your people to embrace your ideology to get this transformation? You believe in this, and you now have the means, so why couldn’t you Ascend on your own?”

“I’m a sample size of one. Maybe I’m just…not experienced enough, or not trained enough. Maybe I’m just not special,” Luxuria said, her head dropping. After a few moments, her voice cracked out again. “I’ve had my moment and now I will die here, just like my Avy…”

Emily frowned and clicked a few things on the control console, and a small glass pane opened in the cell. A process that once required triple authorization and a few keycodes now reduced to asking permission and putting in a simple sequence. The computer made a slight clicking sound as it timed Emily’s entrance. She walked into the cell with the dress and mask, looking sadly into Luxuria’s carbon copy eyes. She set the clothes down beside her computer and then walked up to her, wrapping the once-Ethereal in her arms.

“What…what are you doing?”

“Grieving isn’t all being sad and angry. It’s about finding comfort in the friends you still have.”

“We are friends…?”

“Yes, we’re friends, Luxuria.”

She sighed happily, more tears forming in her eyes. She brought her own arms around Emily and held her tightly, her hands beginning to glow green.

“You better not ruin this…” Emily said, catching the aura in the corner of her eyes.

“Not for you, for me,” she sobbed. “Transitioning to human senses hasn’t been completely seamless, and I want to…feel you in full.”

Emily and Luxuria spent a couple moments more in the comforting embrace, as warm and close as it would be between two real human friends. Emily worried how this would change their intelligence-rich arrangement, but couldn’t deny that she was now enjoying talking and learning with the Ethereal. As they pulled apart, Luxuria wiped her eyes and cleared her throat.

“I noticed you brought my mask back…” she noted.

“Yeah, I figured you’d want it back, since it’s important to your people.”

Luxuria walked over and picked up the helmet, looking into its cold visage. She stared silently for a moment, then put it into Emily’s hands. “Keep it.”

“What? Why?”

“Because that mask belongs to Acra’siathi, Overseer of the Uplifting of Earth. Now I’m Luxuria, just a strange human-Ethereal hybrid in a cell.”

“Just because your body has changed doesn’t mean you have to throw away your whole identity,” Emily noted.

“What did my identity accomplish? Besides researching species to subjugate and genocide, failing her only mission, then watching all of my friends and allies die one by one?”

“You’re still a doctor and a researcher,” Emily replied, “it’s your intelligence and your experiences that have brought you here, from your mistakes to your personality and your changes.”

“What if I just need to start over? Forget Avy, my capture, the treason, the old ideas…what if I just want to be new?”

Emily looked at her firmly. “You can still turn a new leaf, while recognizing the mistakes you made and learning from them.”

“I suppose there is logic in what you say…I must observe my past or be crushed by it.”

Emily smiled and handed her the mask, and Luxuria took it into her arms again. She placed it on her head, the helmet fitting width-wise but a little short length-wise, showing a bit of her chin.

“Maybe just as a keepsake,” Emily chuckled.

“Yes, a ‘keepsake,’” Luxuria said, lifting the mask back off her head.

Emily looked back at the door, letting out a few beeps to let her know she had to get out of the cell.

“You’ll be fine,” Emily patted her shoulder, “once this is all done, maybe you’ll find a new way to chase your goals.”

“Yes…without all this suffering and torment…” Luxuria said meekly.

Emily stepped out of the cell, returning back to the normal place she stood during their talks. Luxuria set her old mask down onto one of the wooden tables Alice had gotten her, giving a brief nod at its placement. She unfurled the dark red dress with the rubies in it that Emily had worn to the wedding, smiling with a small bit of comfort as she held it up to her body before placing it in her wardrobe.

“And no matter the fate of the galaxy and all that, you still have a killer body,” Emily smirked.

“Indeed,” Luxuria nodded. “I wish more of your kind would visit and compliment me like that Mary girl.”

“They might be a little weirded out, you know, because of me.”

“That helps more than hurts, empirically.”

“Right…” Emily wasn’t sure if she was flattered or grossed out, just turning to leave rather than dwell on it. “Well, see you later.”

“Goodbye,” Luxuria said, holding her arm up in a poorly paced wave, “and thank you.”

Emily walked out and Luxuria sat down in her cell, still feeling an after-tingle of where Emily’s skin had touched hers. She sighed and dropped her head into her hands, sadly contemplating what she had talked about.

Dahlexpert

Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
Some one worth protecting & dying for

X-COM Headquarters
Soldier Barracks, Eva’s Room
December 3rd, 2200 Hours

Eva put a needle into her arm and took some of her blood, then examined it through a microscope. "Well, looks like the MELD truly did bond with me. However..." Eva looked at her arm. "I wonder what will happen if I go that far. Never the less, I do need to change my gene mods soon to make up for the psionic enemy's now."

A knock came from the door, a voice with a French accent calling out. "You in there, Eva?"

"Yeah, just give me a minute." Eva hid a small gray box under her bed and went to the door. "Oh, Jean, hey. What can I do for you?"

Jean rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I, uh... Jeanne is... our room is occupied right now. Do you mind if we hang out for a while? If you aren't busy, of course."

Eva looked at the tubes containing her blood. "No, not at all. Come on in, darling." Eva invited Jean into her room.

Jean stepped into the room, looking over the test tubes and equipment. "You helping out in the labs now or something?"

"No, I'm just going over some things, mainly my blood. I had to see if the MELD truly bonded with me."

Jean frowned. "You... you're okay, right? You're not having any... problems, are you?'

"No, I'm fine. I just wanted to see something." Eva saw Jean getting worried. "Um, hey, do you want to watch a movie with me? And just waste some time, so your sister can finish what she's doing?"

Jean chuckled. "Yes, please. Anything to get my mind off my sister's... special friend."

Eva put on a DVD of Jurassic Park on and sat next to Jean. "Say, Jean, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Eva," Jean answered with a smile. "Anything."

"Jean, do you truly love me? I know you love me, but do you really love me? I mean, you don't love me because I have sex with you, do you?"

Jean blinked several times, a bit thrown off guard by the question. "I... Eva, I... of course..."

Eva shook her head. "I'm sorry, Jean. I just... look, the war is ending soon... I hope... and I'm worried about what will happen." Eva placed her head on Jean's shoulder. "I have no Idea what's going to happen to me after this war, and I don't want to drag you down with me. So, after this war is over, I want you to go on your own and forget about me."

Jean's eyes widened a bit. He looked back and forth, looking for something to say. "Eva, I... I don't understand. I-I'm sorry I hesitated, I was just caught off guard. I... I really do care about you, and I don't want to... to just leave you."

"Look, I do love you. As a matter of fact, I love you more than anyone I ever dated. But... Look, I'm scared of what will happen to me after this war. I mean, if any one got my blood, I would have to go after them. And since I'm a super soldier, people might want to get their hands on me, that's why I want you to leave me after this war. I don't want anyone to hurt you. If you got hurt because of me..."

Jean's eyes fell. "Is... is that really how you feel? You'd... you'd push me away, spurn what we have in order to protect me, even if it meant you'd have to face what the world threw at you alone?"

Eva looked at Jean. "Jean, if you died because someone wanted to get to me..." Some tears formed in her eyes, and she turned her back to Jean so he couldn't see her tears. "If you die because of me, I would never forgive myself. I would rather face the world alone, and face the consequences, and die alone then see you die because of me." Eva's body started to tremble.

Jean's expression turned to a scowl. He grabbed Eva's shoulders, forcing her to face him, and firmly planted his lips on hers.

Eva eyes widened, tears still coming down her face. "The fuck are you doing, you idiot?" Eva slightly pushed Jean off her. "Why did you do that?"

"Because... because I don't want to lose you over something so stupid!" Jean gave Eva pleading eyes. "You always say how you'd use your strength to protect me, right? You're willing to get hurt for my sake. Do you really think I don't feel the same way! I love you, Eva! I'm not going to leave you, no matter how dangerous it might be. Please, don't... d-don't push me away like this..."

"You are the biggest moron on the face of the planet, no scratch that, the entire universe." Eva scooted closer to Jean. "But you are my moron. So you truly do love me, and you're willing to protect me no matter what?"

Jean cupped Eva's hands in his own, and looked her dead in the eyes. "Eva... you are the craziest, most aggressive, most pushy woman I have even met. You're also that most caring person I have ever been with. You've given me so much joy, just being in the same room with you, and you're the only woman that ever gave me a chance. Every time I look at that beautiful face, and into those eyes, I think about how lucky I am. I would take a thousand plasma rounds to the chest to protect you."

Eva's face turned as red as a cherry. "Why must you say the most embarrassing things to me. Though... you might be the most perverted and apologetic person I ever met. You also make me fell alive, even though I'm a walking corpse. You brought life back into me, and I savor every moment we're together." Eva started to laugh. 'If my father met you, and heard your compassion for me, he would allow you to marry me, because he would know that he's giving his girl to the right person."

Jean smiled, and nodded. "Alright then. Lets do it, right after the war."

Eva's eyes widened and she smiled nervously. "Um, Jean, what do you mean by that? What's going on in that head of yours?"

Jean shrugged. "You love me, and I love you. So... once we get out of this stuffy old base, lets find somewhere nice to hid away from anyone who might want to use you, and get married."

Eva's face felt like it was on fire, completely red, and she passed out from what she heard.

Jean scratched his head. "Hmm... didn't quite expect that..." He leaned over her. "Um... Eva? You okay?"

Eva woke up. "Jean, did you say that you want to marry me, or was that my imagination?"

Jeans eyes darted back and forth nervously. "Well, uh... i-if you promise not to faint again, I really said that."

Eva's eyes widened. "All my life, I just wanted to be the best soldier. Never have I thought about getting marred, it didn't even cross my mind."

Jean nodded. "I... I can understand that. But even if you chose to quit fighting or keep fighting for the rest of your life, I'll be there for you. I'd... just like to be there for you as your husband."

Eva started to smile. "Yes. Yes, yes, a million times yes. I would be honored to be your wife. And during the final assault, I will come back to you alive and not in a box. I will come back for you Jean, because you're the only person on this entire world who, after this war, will see me as a person, and not a weapon, and I love you for it, you dumb ass."

"I love you too, Eva." Jean laid down on the bed next to Eva, snuggling close. "Always."

DarkGemini24601

Red Ruin - Watcher Sapentia

Outpost E-X0234, Planet of Earth
1300 Hours, Local Time
Country of Iceland

Damnation. Sapentia sighed as he looked around at the few holograms left around him, adjusting the austere mask he wore. North America had gone completely dark, only the Sectoid Commander N-422 left alive in a supply barge escorted by two fighters, stranded in Greenland. The feeble creature was one of the holograms standing before the Watcher of Europe now.

Why did that fool Belial have to go and get himself killed? The Watcher looked down at the short creature while he waited for the others to show up in the conference. N-422, he addressed the Sectoid, what is your status?

My ship is nearly operation again, master. The cold didn’t help, master.

Will you cease referring to me as that after every sentence? Sapentia groaned. You sound like Igor from those North American films.

I… do not follow, ma- N-22 wisely stopped himself before goading the exhausted Ethereal any further. Shall I launch the terror mission S-051 suggested on Toronto?

Are you out of your mind? Sapentia placed a shriveled hand over his mask. Of course not. You expect a compliment of twelve Balmadaar to do you any good? They’d be wiped out as soon as XCOM showed up. Isn’t that blasted Colonel of theirs from there anyway?

I believe so, S-051 answered, appearing on the next holographic pedestal in the Watcher’s chambers. Though I believe it a bad move to not incite further fear and destruction. May honored Superbia rest in peace, but his glorious crash into Cairo-

Was a last ditch effort! Sapentia spat.

S-051 didn’t balk, knowing well that Sapentia wasn’t as easily drawn to violence as his deceased Overseer. Still, we could make them all tremble beneath our might? Is the mighty Sapentia soft now? Does he speak ill of his former superiors?

Sapentia fixed his stare on the South American Sectoid. I do not care for the wrath of the dead. That is not my concern right now. My concern! He gestured with two of his hands upwards. Is the Exalted One’s ire should he find we wasted what little resources we have left. That I cannot allow.

At last a living Ethereal besides Sapentia showed herself, a minor officer in Africa, specifically in the Congo region. Sapentia, my apologies for being late. As embarrassing as it is to say, some of the local military stormed one of the jungle outposts and made off with valuable equipment. The cyberdisc group there… wasn’t functioning properly, damn it all. All we had were the First Ones and a few of those wretched bugs, but they had fire…

Sapentia shook his head slowly, the young Ethereal understanding her pain. Be grateful it is Africa you have to deal with and not Europe, Carthigi. I lost some of my last holdings to local militaries, and the Council of Nations forces lead by a Galena Volkova. She is an opponent not to be taken lightly.

Carthigi held up her two top hands in defeat. Point taken, Watcher. She glanced at the empty pedestal next to her. Why do you even bother with Antarctica? The only Ethereal One there was Acedia, and that traitor-

A reminder of the fact that even a traitor, as blasphemous as it may sound, would be something to work with, Sapentia offered to her alone. Carthigi, usually a devout follower of the Path, hesitantly agreed.

Very well, I understand. But… best not say that to any ambitious First Ones, or even other kin. And shape up that attitude if you are to give a report to the Honored Overseer or Exalted One.

Sapentia faced the pedestals of Asia and Australia. In Asia there was a bored-looking Ethereal named Upyllus, who lazily looked up at Sapentia from a mat. Australia was empty. Who is left in Australia? Sapentia demanded of the Ethereal he could see.

Don’t ask me… I’m in the middle of pulling out to the battleship near Mars, Upyllus languidly replied.

Upyllus! We don’t have time for your games! Tell us!

Oh, fine. Upyllus sat up halfway. I think it was that weird chick… uh… Lapis? Or something.

Sapentia groaned as if the heavens would provide some solace. Needless to say, they did not. Her? That Lieutenant isn’t good for anything… but… Sapentia shook his head. Where is she now?

Not in Australia.

Damnation, Sapentia thought for what was likely the fifth time today, and the fiftieth since Superbia’s death. Where is she?

I think she’s in the abductor in Germany, Upyllus moaned tiredly. Can I go now?

Leave me. Sapentia sat down, floating on a telekinetic pad in thought. Upyllus disappeared, and eventually only he and Carthigi remained. Carthigi… what am I to do? The invasion is a disaster… there are so few powerful forces left in operation.

All we can do is prepare for the arrival of the Exalted One and his forces to be our salvation. We should follow Upyllus’s example, as infuriating as he might be. He has a point. The battleship along with the small fleet building up around it is the safest place without disturbing the Honored Overseer in his own base, the highest-ranking survivor of Africa suggested.

Very well, but I have an obligation to at least seek out Lapis before it’s too late. The few other Ethereals in the system have departed to the battleship. I must at least offer her the chance before going myself.

You and your sense of honor. Very well. Carthigi hovered a hand over her hyperwave relay, but paused. Be safe, my laʒier. I would not want to lose you over a fool.

An armored figure materialized behind Sapentia, constructed from a mixture of illusions and telekinetic force. I will be fine. I may not be as strong as you as a fighter, but I have plenty of defensive measures, and of course… The armored, ghostly Ethereal touched down beside him. I have my Athos for if things get too dangerous.

Carthigi bowed. Then I shall leave this final favor to you. Be safe, and join me in orbit around Mars whether this Lapis comes or not. Her image faded as Sapentia tried in vain to contact Lapis via hyperwave relay

I’m going to have to seek her out myself, aren’t I? Sapentia thought to himself. Why’d you have to fall into enemy hands and die, Avarita? Sapentia threw up his four hands in exasperation, rising again. Damnation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostlich1228

The Matriarch - Lapis

Germany, Location Unknown.
December 3rd, 1700 hours.

Sarah's whole body felt like it was frozen as she awoke, laying on something hard and slimy. She opened her eyes as she sat up slowly, a dark, shadowy cell revealing itself around her. Sarah felt something wet on the side of her head, and brought her hand up to touch it. The texture was a gooey, slimy liquid, and as she pulled her hand back, it was covered in a thick dark red slime. The designer looked more closely at the floor she had been sleeping on and found it lathered with the same slime, it didn't take her long to realize that this was a congealed mixture of blood and mud, solidified by the frigid, almost refrigerator like air. Sarah took up fast, not wanting to sit in the disgusting mixture any longer, but saw that half of her body was already covered in it. The walls of the prison she was in seemed to be made of a dark grey tile that mixed with the blood soup near the bottom.

Sarah poked her head out of the cold alloy bars to examine her surroundings further. The room outside was mostly empty, but a strange fog-like gas was visible drifting low through the air. The few objects that were in the spacious room seemed to be large burlap sacks that seemed like they were filled by something, but she couldn't fathom a guess at what it could be. Her heart started beating in her chest rapidly, trying to find some way of escape, but the alloy bars were far too sturdy for anything to break them open, assuming she even had something in her cell to work with: she didn't. Sarah stepped back from the bars, looking down at her outfit. At some point, something had changed her into a pure white garb, now stained by the grime on the floor.

What the hell happened to me? Where I am? She asked herself mentally, the goo she was covered in making her stomach churn, but she knew that if she didn't hold it in, it might be hours before anyone even bothered to do something about it.

Suddenly, a large black door that was hidden in the shadows at the back of the room open up, a bright, sterile white shining through, and an Ethereal stepping in front of it. The creature stepped inside, closing the door with a purple glow as it walked over to Sarah's cell. It's robe looked extremely bulky, like something could barely fit under them. The sound of it's feet make chinking noises against the smooth metal floor, it would've been interesting to see what they looked like, but the blood red robe was easily long enough to cover them.

The tall creature stopped at the cell, it's mask tilting down to look in Sarah's direction. Finally you awake... I'm sorry about the cell, but the normal ones are full. Good thing I had this spare in the storage just for you...

The voice was instantly familiar to her, "L-Lapis?"

Please, 'Lapis' is just my human persona, what I call myself when I trick you creatures into trusting me...

"Y-You're one of those aliens aren't you? What do you want from me?" Sarah asked the imposing figure.

I'm not the one who asked for your retrieval, my mistress had plans to make you a soldier, but she's dead now, so that means I get to decide what to do with you...

"And... What're you going to do?" The young woman asked hesitantly.

Well, you see, I used to have a sister that I held very close... Then you humans exterminated her... Without her powers I've been left in a... rather unfortunate spot... Luckily... You hold the potential for a similar power, you could even end up being better than her... So, I've decided I want to take you under my wing... With you here to fufill her job... I will be able to enact my revenge... and rip them all, limb from bloody limb...

Sarah quickly considered her situation, she thing could easily kill her or torture her if she refused... There was only one way to have a chance to survive this... Give into the creature's demands...

Her train of thought was interrupted by a faint laugh from behind the alien's mask. You're a lot smarter than your colleges you know... Most humans in your place pointlessly struggle against me, like that friend of yours, but you realize that the greatest chance of you living lies in obedience...

Friend? She thought as her mind filled with dread, "Fab... Is he okay?"

He's fine... Still recovering from the surgery I'm afraid... But he'll be better soon...
"
Surgery?" She answered, her heart skipping a beat at the horrific word, "What did you do to him..."

The Ethereal turned around and headed towards the door before answering, Nothing that bad... He just might be... Missing a few bits the next time you see him...

Sarah stood, absolutely petrified, as the creature spoke again. We'll begin your training after I get that... Other sister for yours... We should be close now... Berlin, the file said?

With that, it left the room, leaving the sister to consider what it said, standing upright against the bars, her feet covered in the foul slime.

Frostlich1228

Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53 : “The Pendulum Swings”

X-COM Headquarters
Primary Gymnasium
Dec. 4th, 1100 Hours

Eve sat in the gym, wiping the sweat off her brow. She wondered if even fox would laugh at her for how such little weights could tire her out, but what could she say? She wasn’t the biggest girl in the world. She watched as a few of the other individuals there glanced in her direction, one of the women giggling. Eve frowned, tired of the rumors and being laughed at. Positioning herself into a comfortable position, she exited her body, floating over to one of the other women in the party and settling in.

“I mean, all I can do is laugh and smile,” the giggling girl said. “If I don’t practice laughing at all his stupid jokes, he assumes I’m not interested.”

Eve quickly jumped back out, having found out she was just being paranoid. She slowly made her way back to her still form, stopping when she noticed someone interesting walking into the room.

A chill ran down Eve’s spine as Dorian entered the room, clearly deep in thought. He came here to put his mind at rest from what he had heard about David and the tower. He should’ve been there, but Ammelia left so fast they were already long gone when he heard the news. Not to mention the fact that David, his best friend, kept such a huge secret from him all these years. To make a contingency in case Ammelia ever died, it was almost as if David didn’t trust his training, nor his promise to protect her. As Dorian stepped into the room, a shadowy, inky mass followed closely behind him, almost as if trying to hide behind his back; However, Eve could see him clear as day. Rook turned to face the woman as soon as he felt her gaze, his chilling pinprick eyes staring through her.

Eve opened her mouth to speak, realizing she had never had many reasons to talk outside of her body. Regardless, she wasn’t sure what to say. If this was anything like the last time she saw something like this, she was probably better off rushing back to her body. With it in the same room, however, she didn’t want the being before her to say her enter, not now that it knew she knew about it. Instead, she nervously smiled. “H… h-hello… th-there…”

Ah… I felt you watching me despite my attempts to conceal myself: most cannot.

“Well, in this from, I… I guess you could say I’m on the astral plane. Lets me see things most can’t. You…” Eve hesitated. “You aren’t… hostile, are you?”

I am not, although I am aware I appear menacing to those who can see my true form, thus, the reason I conceal myself.

“I see.” Eve relaxed a bit. “I’m sorry. It… it’s really rare, but you aren’t the first… though I didn’t see you before now.” She watched as Dorian prepared to work out. “Are you haunting this guy or something?”

I am bound to him… I have been for many years… He has enough ambient psionic energy to allow me to manifest myself… But I originally attached myself to him because I saw that he was a rare individual… Unique… I believe I sought to guide him… But it is a blur...

“Oh, really?” Eve gave Rook a sad look. “I heard about that, spirits losing their memory over years of wandering the world. Do you remember anything? Your name? Where you came from? How you… died?”

I remember pieces… Faint and distant, but there… Before I found Dorian… I inhabited a castle in France… I remember a massive battle… Many lives lost, the bodies of enemies dumped into the lake rather than given a proper burial… I also remember… A close friend… However, his name as well as mine have faded...

“How sad…” Eve glanced at Dorian. “And how about him? When did you start following him? I’m guessing he must have come to you castle.”

He was but a child, visiting the castle with his family to see the sights… The other spirits didn’t like the tourists… The spirits of the invaders… But me and my friend… I believe we watched over the castle… He was separated from his family… I found him in a dark room… Sad and alone… That is when I became bound to him… I kept him company there for hours until his family finally located him...

“You had a friend, huh?” Eve thought for a moment. “I wonder if he’s still there. Do you remember what castle it was? Or maybe Dorian does.”

That name stills ring clear strangely… The Château de Trécesson… I believe your organization went to clear it of the extraterrestrials that attempted to fortify themselves there.

“Yes...I think we did…” Eve pointed at Dorian. “You… don’t mind if I talk to him, do you?”

Of course not… But be wary… He is uncomfortable around strangers… a product of his autism…

Eve nodded, and quickly returned to her body. Ignoring some of the strange looks some people were giving the apparently sleeping woman, she cautiously approached Dorian. “Um… excuse, Mr… um, Dorian.” She frowned, muttered, “Should have asked for his last name…”

Dorian turned from his training, looking down at the girl with an owl like gaze, “Yes…?”

“Um… you don’t know me, but my name is Eve. Eve Brea. I… wanted to talk to you about you special friend, if that’s okay.”

He nodded slowly, “So… You can see him?”

Eve looked around. “Um, well, not at the moment, but I can if I… leave my body…” She let out a nervous laugh. “Guess that sounds kinda weird?”

His face gave no obvious reaction, “So you’re a psion? With something akin to projection?”

“Exactly.” Eve scratched her chin. “So, uh… you said he’s been with you for a while, and you obviously know about him. You two have a good… relationship, for lack of better term.”

“I am aware.” He replied plainly, “What would you like to discuss about him?

Eve smiled. “I… was actually talking to him a moment ago. We were talking about where you two first met, and I was wondering if you remembered it. The Château de Trécesson? He said you got lost there when you were a child.”

“I do… That is where he said he first met me…” He answered calmly.

Eve waited a moment. When Dorian was silent, her smile wavered a bit. “He, uh… he said you didn’t care for strangers. I was just hoping we… could talk. It isn’t so often you meet someone with a personal spirit friend, and I figured you… might like some company.”

“Of course…” Dorian replied, fighting through his instinct to push her away, “I have… Much on my mind right now… I could use some… Company…”

Eve nodded, and sat on a nearby bench, watching Dorian in his workout. “My sister raised me to be a good listener. I’d like to think it is a talent. Please, what’s on your mind.”

“Do you… know of Ammelia?” He asked, taking a seat on the nearby bench just to be on eye level with the woman.

Eve nodded. “I’m the Central Officer’s sister and personal assistant, I know pretty much everyone. And while I haven’t met her personally, I know how hard she works, and how much people depend on her.”

“Then you know about her mission to save her father from the alien’s attack.” He replied, “I’m her and her father’s guardian… I should’ve gone there to help them… But she rushed off without even informing me…”

Eve’s eyes sank a bit. “I… I understand. You looked after her, but she ran off without you, like she didn’t trust you.” She shook her head. “But her father was in danger. I’m sure that is all she was thinking of, and probably regretted not bringing you along.” Eve looked up at Dorian. “I’m sorry. I… I knew she had someone like you on base, even if I didn’t know who. I should have told my sister to put you on that mission.”

“It’s… I cannot say that it’s fine…” Dorian admitted, “Me and him both lost many good friends…”

“I… understand,” Eve responded. “But if you’re going to blame anyone, just blame me. If you’re really that close to Ammelia, I have no doubt it was the heat of the moment that led her to leave without you.”

“I… Refuse to blame you… It was not directly your fault, you simply did not know about me… Understandable, considering my nature…” He responded.

Eve nodded. “You just need to get out a little more. Ammelia likes you, and from how crazy protective he is about Ammelia, if he trusts her with you, then that must speak volumes for the amount of respect you get from him, right?”

“Of course, I’ve known and watched his daughter for nearly twenty years now, and been his best friend for longer, there is no doubt in my mind that he respects me… Though… perhaps not enough to tell me that he planned on turning his own daughter into an AI if she ever died…” He sighed slightly.

Eve’s eyes sank again, remember hearing something about that from Aya. “It… it doesn’t sound like something one would want to share. If he had told you, would you have approved of it?”

“I… Do not know… I love Ammelia like a daughter… I could not stand to see her die… But I am the one who trained her to join X-com and live the life she wanted… I understand how much she would despise being trapped in a machine… It is a…. Difficult question…”

“Maybe that’s why he didn’t tell you,” Eve offered. “It was a big burden to bare. If you knew, you’d be torn in you loyalty and morals. Maybe it wasn’t a matter of trust, but a matter of an incredible burden he refused to put on a dear friend’s shoulders.”

“Perhaps…” He said slowly, “I have… Enjoyed our talk Ms. Brea… You’ve made me reconsider my friends actions for the better… Thank you.”

“Your welcome, Dorian. Any time.” Eve smiled warmly, than thought for a moment. “Can I… ask you something before I go?”

“What is it?” He asked, one of the corners of his mouth lifting slightly.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Part Two

“That friend of yours, the ghostly one. When this is all over, you should go visit that castle again. He said he remembered a friend of his being there, and it could help him remember something. Just a little something for them being that has your back… literally.”

“Could I… Ask something of you perhaps?”

Eve nodded. “Sure, go right ahead.”

“You say you can project yourself… Could you possibly project yourself into someone’s mind?” He asked, crossing his arms.

Eve nodded, laughing nervously. “Yeah, I… I never abuse it like Invidia did, but… I can. I can possess people, and if I concentrate enough, and the person isn’t particularly strong willed, I can look into their mind.”

“Then… Could you look into the mind of a spirit?” Dorian asked, “Going back there would more than likely not jog all of his memories at once… But if you could, you could view his memories for him, perhaps his ‘dreamscape’ holds the answers.”

Eve thought for a moment. “I’ve… I’ve never tried possessing a spirit. On the rare occasion I see one, I usually avoid them. But… I could try.” Eve sat back again, closing her eyes. returning to her out of body form, she gave Rook a curious look. “You want to give it a try?”

If it will truly help me learn more about my past… But be warned… As I am bonded with Dorian, our dreamscapes may have fused into one. My memories are more than likely deeper, so you will have to go through his before you can get to mine… Let me be the one to tell you that Dorian’s past is rife with pain and struggle… Pain you may even physically feel...

Eve nodded. “I’m… familiar with pain. I’ll be fine.” She closed her eyes, and dived into Rook. Opening them again, she scanned the world around her.

A dark, pitch black void consumed her, but after a few seconds, marble stone and tile fell from the abyss above her, stopping to make a path. As she stepped forwards, large golden pocket watches fell from the abyss above and below her without any regard to the laws of physics. The faces off all of them permanently set to a single time, 2:43. As she took another step, the watches started to swing in hypnotic pendulums, the farther she stepped, the more fell. Each one of the watches had a different scenario reflected in it’s face, with offshoots of the path leading to each one, some, more cracked and crumbled than others.

“Hmm… strange…” Eve muttered to herself. “No time to play it safe, though.” She examined the paths, and chose one of the more damaged ones, hoping it would support her weight, and realizing it really didn’t matter in this world. “Hello? Dorian? Ghost man? Looking for memories!”

As she gazed into one of the watches, a scene played out before her. It was a snowy, suburban neighborhood, kids playing on the streets, tossing snowballs at one another as they tossed them back. The memory seemed to focus on one in particular, a small, dark skinned boy sat alone on the curb, gazing at all the kids enjoying their day out of school, all except for him. After a few moments of sitting there, tossing a snowball around in his hands, a group of three of oldest children approached him, looking down at the small child. The looked between each other for a second before the middle-most child asked, “Hey, want to join our snowball fight?”

Dorian stood up slowly, just glaring at them for a second before nodding. One of the children seemed a little hesitant, but was reassured by a hand gesture from the middle-most kid, “Go over there, pick up a snowball, then we’ll start.”

Dorian followed their instructions, standing a few feet away, packing snow into his glove covered hand. When he was finished, he looked back towards the older children, nodding silently. Dorian threw the first ball, impacting the ground just in front of the trio, while they reared up to throw theirs. Dorian saw the kids throw their snowballs towards him at the same time, but his eyes suddenly widened when bricks broken out of the thrown snowballs. He couldn’t nearly dodge in time as the hard objects impacted his face, breaking his nose in a few places and sending him to the ground. He held his face in pain as the kids started laughing at him, “Why didn’t you catch it?”

They walked over him, throwing insults that simply went through one ear and out the other, but as soon as the children noticed he wasn’t reacting to them, and instead trying to crawl away, a swift kick from the middle-child stopped him. He just laid there for a few seconds as the pain flowed through him, something strange, something he had never felt before, filled his mind with a red haze. He stood up, glaring at the kids as blood ran down his face. The two kids back up a few feet, while the leader just continued to mock him, “Why even bother getting up? You’ll just be on the ground in a few seconds anyway… Look, I’m feeling generous today, why don’t you just go cry to your parents, that’ll make you feel better, oh wait, that’s right, you can’t, freak…”

Dorian suddenly rushed the kid, catching him completely off guard. The child’s friends tried to help him, but backed off when they saw Dorian picking one of the thrown bricks off the ground, raising it over the kids head. Afterwards, the glass of the watch shattered in several places, and it started to bleed, the image disappearing behind it.

“Jeez…” Eve frowned. “And I thought the whole clone thing was rough.” She shook her head, rushing forward, the images of the memory burned into her mind. She picked up the pace, trying to find something that couldn’t belong to Dorian, not wanting to intrude on his memories any more.

As Eve walked, ambient voices behind filling the void, seeming coming from nowhere. A woman screamed in sadness, “Dorian! How could you!? What happened to our son....” After that, a deeper male voice spoke, “What do we do with him? Do we just throw him in jail? That poor kid… Could barely even tell…” A final, calmer voice spoke seconds after, “Why don’t we just… Take the boy out of your hands chief… We’ll handle all the legal stuff with him… I don’t think the parents can even stand to look at him anymore… Doubt an orphanage would want him… Just give him to us…”

Eve held her hands over her ears, for what little good it would do. “Enough…” A tear fell down her cheek. “So much… pain…”

At last, a massive steel gate door, fell from the sky at the end of the path, slowly opening itself up as she looked at it, however, the longer she stayed the louder the voices got, until she could barely hear herself think over them. “Good work, Delamerque… You’re first mission… Tomorrow…” “Excellent work, but now that you’re one of us… You’ll need a code name…” “How ‘bout Owl? It fits so well, just look at that stare…”

“Oh, thank you, sweet, merciful Jebus…” Eve quickly moved forward, doing her best to make out individual memories. “Owl, huh?”

As Eve reached the door it closed behind her. All at once the watches broke off at their chains, falling and slamming into the ground, breaking on impact. She was about to continue but something behind her filled her with an irresistible urge to look. Standing behind her was another dark skinned man, he was wearing pretty average civilian clothing and held a golden pocket watch in his hand. He had long, braided hair and gave Eve a sad look as he reached through one of the holes in the metal door, attempting to hand her the watch.

Eve hand shook as she reached out for the watch. “Who… are you?”

The man silently pointed to the back of the watch before handing to her, engraved were the initials A.D.

“Um… thanks.” Eve looked down at the watch. “But who…” When she looked up again, the man was gone. She smiled and shook her head. Closing her eyes, she ascended out of of the spectral beings dreamscape. A quick look around the gym told her only a few seconds had passed. She smiled at Rook. “I… you were a warrior. I heard the name Delamerque, and the code name Owl. And someone… gave me this.” Eve held out the watch for Rook, a faint ethereal glow emanating for the astral object.

The spirit didn’t say a word as it turned towards Dorian. The large man reached into his pocket, pulling out a almost identical replica of the golden watch, engraving and all. He head hung low, swinging the watch slowly. After a few seconds, Rook spoke with a whisper in the back of the psion’s head.

I was… Afraid of this… It seems like Dorian’s memories were so painful that they simply blotted mine out like a planet in front of a star…

Eve frowned, gripping the watch tightly. “Oh, I… I’m sorry. I tried, I… I at least found your name, though… I think…” She looked to the ground, more the a little disappointed.

I’m sorry for disappointing you further… But that wasn’t my name… How do I know this? Because It’s his… Rook replied, his form shifting around.

Oh…” Eve smiled. “Don’t give up. I’ll try again in a few days, after I’ve… had a little more time to prepare myself. And I’ll try again after that, and keep trying until we find something. Anything for my two new friends.

Dorian looked up at her, a drop of salty liquid in his eye, “I… Am sorry to have put you through those moments in my life… They couldn’t have been easy to watch…”

Eve quickly returned to her body, both before Dorian lost his ability to see her, and slow she could wrap her arms around him. “It… looked terrible. I understand why you don’t like talking to strangers. But if Dr. Cross or Ammelia are ever not available, and you need to talk, I’m here for you, friend.”

Dorian was caught off guard by the hug, something that didn’t happen often to the veteran spec ops soldier. After a second of nothing, he put all his effort into wrapping his arms around her as well, having to fight every feeling in his mind telling him not to, the act alone making him feel sick.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53 "The Depth of Trust"

X-COM Headquarters, Somwhere in Siberia
December 5th, 2018
Outside the Showers
1500 Hours

It was around late afternoon into the day, for Fox his training was over and he had time for himself. The little scout had been taking it easy for the past week at the suggestion of his brothers and for the most part, he had kept his promise. There were times he had pushed himself a little hard during training but ever since coming to XCOM, his confidence has seemed to have gotten better and he started being more out there and social with people, usually able to keep it together.

However, there was something he had been putting off for the sheer fact of dreading the day it would come but eventually he had to take care of some loose ends. So he got some information from some of Eve’s friends, who had said she went to take a shower after a round in the gym so he waited outside of them, ignoring some of the occasional stares he got as people walked past and just keeping his eyes on the ground.

After a few minutes, a pair of women stepped out, one of which looked familiar to Fox, though he wasn't sure from where. She laughed with the other one, practically snorting. “What a stupid little whore! She actually believed I would…” The two gave Fox an odd look, and headed down the hall away from him. “Some people never grow up. Can’t believe she said that!”

He glared at them and he merely just sighed, scratching his head in annoyance. Wouldn’t be talking trash if I threw them at a Berserker for the fun of it. Teach them to talk about stuff like that in front of me. People have no consideration sometimes. He complained in his head, cracking his neck a bit since he was still a little stiff.

A few more minutes passed, and Eve stepped out. Her clothes looked like they had been thrown on with little care, her hair still dripping wet. She walked past Fox, seemingly oblivious to him being there as she stared at her feet.

He walked up behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to get her attention.

Eve jumped a bit, swirling around and bringing her arms up defensively. “Oh, Fox, I…” She quickly rubbed her eyes and smiled. “What are… are you doing here?”

“Come on, we need to talk…” He said, pulling on her arm in the other direction she was going. He gave her a look in between worried and angry, just shaking his head and looking forward. “Forget them. They wouldn’t be laughing if they had said that in front of me or my brothers. You have nothing more to worry about.” He told her unusually sternly.

Eve slowly nodded. “I… I know, Fox. I’m sorry. It… I have no right to…”

“Look...Eve...we need to talk about us.” He looked at her and took a deep breath. “Listen, what you did hurt me bad, and although I am still a little bit sad...a-and angry, doesn’t mean I haven’t at least forgiven you. Now I hope you haven’t been getting the wrong idea about me keeping my space from you, it is just something I needed.”

“I-I understand, Fox,” Eve answered with a sad look. “I… want to give you all the space you need, as long as.. you…”

“Don’t hate you?” He shook his head and looked forward. “I already told you I’m not holding a grudge.”

“I… I-I know, Fox, I…” Eve looked away. “I’m just… going around in circles, huh?”

“A little, yeah.” He said in an annoyed tone. “So how do you think we are going to make this work? I can’t tell you how much advice I have gotten to just let you go but I am holding on for right now, so tell me why I should keep you around?”

Eve’s stride slowed down a bit. “I… I-I don’t know. Maybe… maybe you… made a mistake, Fox…”

Fox just shrugged. “Maybe I did.” He stated bluntly.

Eve slowed to a stop. She looked down at the ground, and her voice cracked a bit. “I… I-I know what you’re doing. I understand, but I… I’m not sure this is right. Those people were… they were right, Fox. It was a mistake to force you to come back to me. I… it was a mistake…”

He walked forward a bit more and stopped, turning around and staring at her. “So you are saying you want to end this?”

Eve tried to look up, but found she didn’t have the strength. Instead, she slowly nodded. “You… you’re a fool, Fox. I’m not worth your time. What I did should never be forgiven, and to do so would be… just… please, find someone who’ll make you happy. Someone… you can trust.”

He stared at her for a few long moments and finally he nodded his head. “Alright...fine. I think I should find someone who will make me happy, and someone I can trust.” Fox rubbed his face and sighed. “Will you at least do me one favor?”

Eve rubbed her eyes, and finally looked up. “O-of course, Fox.”

He looked at her and crossed his arms. “Close your eyes. I am going to lead you for a bit and when I say open them, you do. And no questions...will you do this last thing for me?”

Eve nodded. “I… I will.” She closed her eyes, and held out her hand.

He took it and lead her on for a little bit, finally coming to a stop and opening a door. “Now remember, you brought this on yourself.” He led her into the room and shut the door behind them, telling her to open her eyes. When she did, the scene around them finally came into full view. On the walls, papers were taped on top of one another, all of them coming together to form one giant scene as if they were in the middle of a wooded area. Some of the pages had animals on the branches, and some of them on the floor but the most prominent was that on the wall opposite the door, nestled into a little den, were a pair of two foxes.

“You see Eve, I made my choice a while ago. I already found someone who makes me happy, and someone I can trust. That person is you, Eve...and it will always be you. I’m sorry for leading you on that whole time but...you know, I didn’t want to give away the surprise. I made up all that stuff about thinking I made a mistake and that I didn’t want you anymore. You are the only one I want, no matter what.” He crossed his arms and looked down at the ground. “Well...that was my ‘big speech’...so...what do you think?”

Eve burst into tears, dropping to her knees and sobbing loudly. “Fox, I… I…”

He smiled and knelt down next to her, putting his arms around her and squeezing her tight. “Now I love you, Eve. And no matter what you did, I won’t judge you any longer for it. I want you to know that I would never be disappointed in you for what you did and no matter what, me and you are a team for now on and nothing as stupid as...as a little moment of weakness is going to change that.”

“Fox, I… I don’t know what to…” She smiled as tears ran down her cheeks, soaking Fox’s shoulder. “I’ve… never been so happy, I…”

He put his hands on the sides of her face and he looked into her eyes with a soft smile. “Never say never...now I think you might be offering me a challenge and I must say…” Fox looked around and he laughed, shaking his head and looking back at her. “I have no idea how I am going to top this.”

Eve laughed, and kissed the Elite scout. “Don’t be silly, Fox, you… you’ll never have to. I don’t think you could ever let me down after this. I… I-I love you so much…”

He let out a relieved sigh and chuckled a bit rubbing his mouth. He had gotten this far, so he wouldn’t let his nerves stop him now. “Eve...there is...one more surprise...and this one is something I wanted to give to you but I wanted to wait for the right moment…” He quickly shook his head and laughed nervously. “D-Don’t worry...it isn’t a ring. N-Not that I wouldn’t ...uh well, hold on a sec, where was I going!” He shook his head trying to regain his thoughts and regained his composure. “Just...you ready?”

Eve nodded her head excitedly. “Yes. What is it?”

“J-Just...close your eyes again…” Eve did as she was told, smiling happily.

He rubbed his eyes, trying to get any last minute jitters out of his system before he leaned forward and gave Eve a kiss, this time differently than he had previously, trying to make it more loving on his end than forcing Eve to make all the moves. Emily gave him advice, and he was going to do his best to put it to good use, not only for himself, but for Eve as well.

Eve giggled softly, letting Fox do his thing. When he finally pulled away, she grinned widely. “Wow, that… that was amazing. Where did you learn that?”

He scratched the back of his head and blushed a bit. “Oh...you know...guardian angel, I guess? They seemed to have given me the right advice so far so no reason to uh...doubt them now. Sorry I had to make you wait a while but all this prep dragged on, plus recovering from the mission and what happened...just...a lot. But for now, this is our personal spot where we can come, just for us. Took a while but...I finally found it.” He grinned and didn't know how to react. “I am glad you like it. But for now...I think it is time for me to return the kindness to you for once.” He held out his hand to her and smiled lightly. “Ready to go on an adventure?”

Eve smiled back, taking his hand with one hand, unbuttoning her shirt with the other. “I’m all yours.”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Arms Wide Open

X-COM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
December 6th, 2018
Office of Elizabeth Walker
1600 Hours

Elizabeth sat in her office, twiddling a pen in her hands as the day at work ran slow, the intake of patients slowly declining as the risk of injury gets smaller and smaller. The doctor was actually a little depressed and missed the long days. Usually it provided her with a distraction but having all this time to think, all her mind wandered to was herself.

She was around a month along, a very tiny bump starting to pop up but nothing that would be noticeable at this stage unless someone was intentionally staring. Her and Desmond barely spoke at all during the past week, Elizabeth still a little mad at him.

She laid her head down on the desk and covered her head. "Oh who am I kidding...I was never mad at him. I just hate that he is constantly in danger, not only from the enemy but himself.” Her biggest wish was to just run away with him, just get off the base and have the time of their lives without the worry of war. All she wanted was to be happy.

"I have been so selfish...haven't I?" She thought out loud, looking at the door and then up at the clock. "I still have another hour to go...but I think I can get away with a visit."

She got up and walked to her door, opening it up and quickly walking out as she made her way down to where her husband’s room was. She didn’t bother knocking, just opening the door and walking in. Desmond was fast asleep on the medical bed, Ellie walked up to him cautiously, trying not to wake him from his slumber. Her eyes couldn’t help but look at the empty socket where his arm used to be. It made her hurt seeing the arm missing, in any shape other than good made her hurt a little, even when she put on a brave face. She ran her hand across his chest, the soldier only wearing a pair of pants on the bed, a few tiny spots on his body covered up so that his more minor wounds would heal.

“Reminds you of the first time we ever met, huh?” The soldier asked, his eyes opening slowly and looking up at her, the doctor nodding slowly.

“You were such a knuckle head back then. Even then you made the doctor’s lives miserable, but...for some reason, you chose to be cooperative with me. That was the beginning of our story together.” She said with a smile, her hand still running across the multiple scars on his body. “Why?”

He raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Why what?”

Elizabeth giggled. “Why did you work with me and no one else? What made me so special?”

Desmond tried to think for the exact reason but he just smirked and shook his head. :I honestly can’t remember. Maybe it was because you actually had a little patience with me. You were just...different somehow. Like...even though I didn’t know who you were, I still knew so much about you.”

The doctor giggled again, closing her eyes. “That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.”

Desmond laughed, nodding in agreement. “Yeah, but it is the best I could come up with. Look Rin...I am sorry. I’m sorry about everything and that-”

She just put a finger over his mouth and shook her head. “You don’t need to apologize for anything, I am the one who overreacted. Can you...can you ever forgive me?”

He reached up with his right hand and put it behind her neck, pulling her to him and giving her a deep kiss. “You know I can’t be mad at you.”

She nodded, sighing in her head that things had worked out. Desmond scooted over in the bed and she quickly crawled up next to him, his arm around her and her head resting on his chest. “So...we have a lot of planning to do you know.”

“About the baby?” He asked.

“Yeah...I think we should choose a name for it. I was thinking...if it is a boy, we call him Leo...and if it is a girl...how about...Bethany!”

Desmond thought to himself and looked down at her. “Why them?”

“Well...I always liked the name Leo, and Bethany...well, that was the name of my mother.”

“You never talked about your mother before.”

“Yeah...she died when I was really young so I can’t remember her. But I have seen pictures of her. She has this beautiful body, and wonderful complexion. Jet black hair and sparkling green eyes...she was...oh, she was gorgeous.” Elizabeth bragged, her eyes star struck.

Desmond chuckled, running his hand up and down her arm. “Alright...so how about I suggest some names?”

“You have been thinking of names?” She asked, a little surprised.

“Well I have had enough free time, so yeah. If it was a boy, I think Cayden would be cool. And if it was a girl, how about Annabeth?”

“Oooo...I like Cayden. But I still like Leo too…” She pouted a little.

“Well I doubt we are only going to have one kid.” He remarked.

“True...but I am not becoming one of those octuplet moms, that is a little much. If anything, four would be my most, and that is stretching it.”

Desmond whistled. “I think that is a little much.”

“What? I always wanted to be a mother ever since I was a little girl. Besides...we won’t have them all at once.”

“Alright I guess...so what names are we going with?” Desmond asked, wanting to reach a decision.

“I got it!” She sat up and turned, smiling at Desmond. “For our first child, if it is a boy, we name him Cayden, and if it is a girl, we call her Bethany. And then when we have our second kid, his name will be Leo, or her name Annabeth.”

Desmond shrugged, though it was awkward with only one arm. “I guess that works. Cayden or Bethany it is then.” The psionic soldier smiled at his wife’s enthusiasm and ran his hand through her hair. “So where are we going to move this dream family of yours? Are you thinking of going back to Sweden?”

Elizabeth shook her head. “No, actually. I...I want to move back to my home town of Santa Ana. Oh, or maybe somewhere on the coast! I would love that…” She crossed her arms around herself and smiled wide. “Could you imagine living on the beach? In such a nice house with a great view of the ocean.”

Desmond chuckled. “And where would the money for this dream house come from?”

“Well...depending on how much money will be worth after the war, my uncle had a huge life insurance plan, and left all his assets in his will to me. Plus if that isn’t enough...you always have Elene?”

“You want to mooch off of my sister?” He asked with a small grin.

“Mooch is a strong word...more like ask for assistance to realize our dream?” She said, trying to avoid the word best she could t avoid any backlash.

“We will see Rin, this war ain’t over yet.”

“It better be soon...this mama wants to get her life back together.” She wrapped her arms around Desmond and squeezed him tight with all her might. “Just you...me...and our little Cayden or Bethany.”

“We...could find out you know?”

“Of course I know, I am a doctor. But...I just want it to be a surprise.”

“I...fine, I guess?” He said, not really disagreeing with her.

Ellie squeezed him her hardest. “I knew you would see things my way!”

Desmond just rolled his eyes and put his arm around his wife, the two lovers just embracing one another as their future laid out wide in front of them.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and MarineAvenger "That One Annoying Friend" Part One

XCOM Headquarter, Somewhere in Siberia
Asher’s Cell; Laboratory
December 5th, 0800 Hours

As Asher opened his eyes, he looked around his bland looking cell, his home for around the past nearly two months and sat up, rubbing his face. He stood up, walking over to a mirror, his face befitting someone who hadn’t been allowed anything sharp to shave his face with, even after the mental programming had been reversed. He scratched at the scruffy looking blonde fuzz and sighed in silence, looking at his door and going to sit back down on the bed to think to himself, something he had done more than enough of.

“Um… excuse me, Mr. Asher.” Jessica stepped up to the cell door, waving slightly. “Are you doing well?”

Asher stared at her with his same blank expression and shrugged his shoulders.

“Oh, right… stupid question.” She slowly unlocked his cell, stepping inside and leaving the door open behind her. “I… I bet you’re getting tired of being in here, huh?” She walked over the the mute captive, handing him a pen and paper.

‘I am getting quite tired of my accommodations. I would say it would be a pleasant surprise that you visited me but I am still undecided about how I feel about you exactly.’ He looked at her up and down and wrote one additional thing. ‘And it would appear that you have let yourself go quite a bit. I would not have thought you would allow yourself to get large like that in such a small time period.’

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Wow… rude. I’m not fat, I… well, I guess I… I mean, I’m pregnant. And I’ll thank you not to forget that.” She folded her arms, looking away and pouting.

Asher just tilted his head slightly. ‘What does...preg...nant mean? I must say I haven’t heard the word. Or if I have, it is one that I would have no use in knowing.’

“R… really?” Jessica frowned. “It… it means I’m going to have a child. In about three more months, I’ll give birth to a boy and a girl.”

‘I am not really well versed in the human reproductive systems. What use would I have of it on the battlefield?’

Jessica raised an eyebrow. “Well… I guess you have a point. Guess there was a lot you weren’t told, given your role.” She smiled. “All the more for you to learn once you get out of here, right?”

‘Mayhaps. The procedure done on me has released me from my shackles so now...as you would put it, ‘am in control of my own life.’ Though I think I must thank you.’ He wrote down, his lip curling up ever so slightly in a smirk.

Jessica chuckled. “Why would you do that. You…” She looked away. “I do nothing but annoy you, right?”

‘However true that statement is, I must inform you that I met the flower girl, Poinsettia, and we got to talk to one another after our operations.’

“Oh, really?” Jessica beamed, crouching down in front of him. “About what? Is she as sweet as her name? Did you hit it off?”

Asher raised an eyebrow. ‘I don’t know why I would hit her...that would seem to have the opposite effect of what I would be aiming to achieve. Though I did tell her what I thought about her.’

“Oh?” Jessica tilted her head, her smile widening even more. “And what did you tell her, exactly?”

‘I told her the truth. Of when the few times I saw her she looked cute and happy. She first thought I was calling her a puppy but I was merely stating that was what her personality and general appearance reflected. Then she accused me of having a...I think she called prison fetish but that would have been illogical seeing as how we knew of each other from before our incarceration. Then she asked why I did not like her template and it was a simple answer. Her template wasn’t her. Soon after she kissed me.’ He wrote down, handing the paper to Jessica with almost an amused looked.

Jessica slowly read it, then did so again. She looked up at Asher, still smiling, and said, “Well, I… I think this means it went well. Though you seem a very literal person.” She laughed a bit. “Though I guess that just means you’re honest, and any compliment you gave her meant that much more to her.”

Asher just shrugged. ‘I am lead to believe so. She said that she would attempt to see me again but has yet to do so as of yet so I hold no high hopes. It could very well have been a heat of the moment fling and ended up meaning nothing.’

“Perhaps, though it was probably because she was detained until they were sure she wasn’t a threat any more. She can come see you now, or you could go see her.”

‘We shall see what transpires between us, but for now I believe you offered to take me out for a while, I would like to take advantage of that offer if you may. My legs have gotten sore from the inactivity and there is only so much I am able to do on my own.’

“Of course.” Jessica walked over to the door. “Come on out. The water is fine.”

Asher just shook his head and proceeded to walk out the door slowly, keeping his arms locked behind him so that no one would get any ideas.

Jessica led the man into the hallways, heading towards the gym. “I figured you’d like to get a bit of exercise, cooped up in…” She thought for a second. “Asher, you… you know you aren’t a prisoner anymore, right? The only reason you’re in that cell is because we… we don’t want you to hurt yourself.”

Asher just waved his hand in the air. He took out a sheet of paper he ripped away from the pad before leaving, and stopped to write quickly, handing it to jessica and continuing to walk. ‘I lost interest. The change to my programming resolved that situation once and for all. Besides, you were idiotic enough to let me have pens. If I had an ample mind before, I could have easily just have stabbed myself. Would have been crude but doable. I simply didn’t because I saw no reason to anymore, even if my shackles forced such ideas onto me to begin with.’

Jessica frowned. “I… I wasn’t being an idiot, I was trying to trust you…”

He stopped once again and looked back at Jessica, simply nodding to himself and continuing on.

Jessica rolled her eyes again. “Jeez, literal and blunt to a fault. It is pretty darn ironic you were programmed to kill Elene, considering how alike you two are in that regard. Problem is, you don’t have a version of Markus to assure me you aren’t actively trying to insult me…”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
PART TWO

As they approached the gym, Asher looked around at the facilities, taking a moment to read the entire situation so he knew his surroundings. If there was one thing he took pride in, it was his acute situational and tactical awareness. Was apart of him just as much as his lost voice. He looked back, waiting for Jessica to catch up to him, not wanting someone to think he ran off without an escort.

“When did that nerd from the Legion chicks bulk out?” One of the guards asked.

“That… that isn’t him, hey!” One massive soldier with an irritable look approached Asher. “What are you doing out of your cage! Viktor’s pet doesn’t deserve to walk around our base.”

Asher narrowed his eyes at the soldier, rolling his eyes and shaking his head, not bothering to look at him as he kept his eye out for Jessica.

“Hey, back off!” Jessica ran to Asher’s side. “He’s out with me. He was manipulated, and he isn’t our…”

“Out with you, huh?” The soldier chuckled. “You as loose as that petite friend of yours?”

Jessica narrowed her eyes. “You… you’re the one spreading rumors about Eve, aren’t you?”

Asher looked between the two, not really getting the argument going on between them but obviously knowing that the big guy was on the wrong side. Asher gave another glance at him and looked him over, chuckling silently in his head. It would appear the one muscle this guy doesn’t work is his brain. This brute is no threat. He assessed to himself, rolling his shoulder in boredom.

“Listen, girl, if you need to resort to prisoners to get your rocks off, I understand. Baby bump is a turn off, I know, even with the incredible rack.” Jessica’s face reddened, more from anger then embarrassment, and Brent ignored her, taking a step closer to Asher. “But don’t bring them here. Good little doggies belong in their cages, not walking around where they can snap at people.”

Asher could only smirk, the finger Asher was giving him not needing a voice to communicate his meaning.

Brent snarled. “You got a problem, little man? I thought I told you to get back in your cage!”

Asher shook his head, stepping forward and putting a hand on Brent’s abdomen, pushing him back with enough force to topple him over onto the ground. As I thought. He is so off balance, this guy could be blown on and he would tip over. What you get for being top heavy. Asher turned around from the man, walking back to rejoin Jessica’s side.

Brent growled like an animal, quickly climbing to his feet. Jessica took a step forward, shouting, “Stop this, he is authorized to be…”

“Shut the hell up!” Brent placed his hand against Jessica’s face, shoving her away. “This guy is dead!”

As Brent wound up for a punch and swung at Asher, his hand quickly darted up and caught the large hand, Asher’s grip and ability to hold Brent back earning a few gasps from the people watching the spectacle. Asher just squeezed Brent’s hand, digging his nails in hard enough to draw blood as he glared into the man’s eye with a stare that held only one emotion; anger, contrasting heavily against his emotionless face.

“J-Jesus, let me go!” Brent swung with his other hand, aiming for Asher’s nose.

Unfortunately for the soldier, Asher was already on the move, easily ducking under the swing and driving his shoulder into the larger man’s stomach, using Brent’s weight and momentum against him and easily throwing him over Asher. Asher, just blowing a piece of hair out of his face, turned his head and spat on Brent, walking over to Jessica to see if she had been doing alright.

Jessica slowly climbed to her feet, smiling at Asher. “I’m sorry, I…” She watched as Brent slowly got up, the look in his eyes saying he was done. “I didn’t expect that. I… are you okay?”

He nodded, looking over her with an annoyed expression. He tilted his head and pointed at Jessica, his gesture wanting to know if she was.

“Me? I’m fine. My butt just hurts a bit.” She smiled, and brushed herself off. “You, uh… You were pretty tame, considering the situation.”

Asher reached into his pocket and pulled out his last sheet, writing down on it and handing it to her. ‘The way to beat a brute is not becoming a brute yourself. Sometimes you just have to taunt them and they will do all the work for you really. He had no chance, I specialize in taking down trash like him. Just as long as you are fine.’

Jessica blinked several times. “Whoa, that.. almost sounds like you care about my safety.” She grinned. “I thought I was just some nosey, annoying girl.”

‘You undoubtedly are...but that doesn’t mean I will sit idly by if someone like you is being pushed over. If anything...you are an extremely annoying friend. I can at least respect the fact you tried, if nothing else. But do not confuse respect for sentiment, I still find your presence extremely bad for me.’ For once, Asher cracked a genuine smirk.

Jessica nodded. “I’ll take that as a very, very odd compliment.” With a nod, she said. “Everyone here looks like they’ll leave you alone now. Do you think you’ll be okay alone for a bit?”

He put his hands at his sides and gave her a confused look, grabbing the paper from her and writing down. ‘I can handle myself. Just hope they indeed don’t start trouble. I won’t be the one looking for it, but I will most certainly end it.’ He looked up at her quickly and added, ‘And I am not going to kill anyone you...’ Asher thought it best not to include what he was going to call her and just simply handed the note to her.

“Good.” Jessica rushed towards the door, calling back, “I’ll pick you up later! Gonna go see if I can find you a room with less bars, and a good razor!”

He shook his head, walking up to a treadmill and beginning a run, a minute later smirking wide. She may be an annoying thorn in my side...but I think I am starting to warm up to her...almost. He closed his eyes and focused on his workout, finally glad to stretch out his muscle for what seemed like the first time in forever.

Frostlich1228

Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53 : "The Meaning in the Metal"

X-COM Headquarters
Main Engineering, Workspace of Sonya Randolf
Dec. 6th, 1000

“I… don’t… care!” Sunny stomped her foot, and motioned her hands angrily at the SHIV wrecks behind her. “These things are in pieces! Literal… pieces! I don’t care if the Overseer’s are dead. Last time I checked, we were still at war.”

The engineer before her took a step back. “Okay, I’m sorry.” She rubbed the back of her head. “I didn’t mean anything by it, I just wanted a quick drink…”

“Three… quick drinks.” Sunny pointed at the woman. “I am up to my eyeballs in work, and you want to leave again to have a party. At least take as much responsibility as the twelve year old!”

“Alright, geez!” The engineer headed back to her work station, mumbling, “If I wanted to be yelled at by a girl, I’d go back home to my sister…”

Sunny scoffed, and returned to her desk, carefully looking over the circuitry of the cybernetic arm before her.

David slowly walked into the room, his eyes darting up and down at all the technology, after a few moments, he focused on the SHIV wrecks, walking up to them and quietly examining the damage. He looked over to Sunny’s desk, giving her a smile as he walked, “ Dr. Randolf, I presume?”

Sunny’s eyes darted up long enough to note the man, then she looked back down at her work. “Yeah, that’s me. Sorry, I don’t have time, I… and no, I’m not a really small woman, I really am this young. If you want anything else, talk to my android…”

He raised his eyebrows a little, “Well… I wanted to ask if you needed any help repairing your Super Heavy Infantry Vehicles.”

“Well, I… yeah, actually. I’m busy with this arm, and I wanted to get it done quickly.” Sunny frowned. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound…” She looked up, and eyes widened. “I… I-I, uh… I…”

He smiled slightly, feigning ignorance about her reaction, “Don’t worry, I know how hard it can be to juggle projects here and there, I just have the luxury of time.”

“I… I would… be honored…” Sunny jumped out of her chair, and bowed her head. “M-Mr. Cross, I… I’m sorry, I… I didn’t mean to… I’m a b-b-big fan of… I, you, I…” Her voice started to crack.

“No need for all the formalities.” replied, smiling at her, “My daughter has said good things about you.”

“I… I know, she said a-as much, but I…” Sunny shook her head. “I’ve ran this meeting through my head a thousand time, a-and I n-never imagined it starting with me making a fool of myself.”

“You didn’t make a fool of yourself, I understand your work causes you a great deal of stress, after all, the life of the soldiers can depend of your SHIVs.”

“Oh, I… thank you, sir.” Sunny finally looked like she was relaxing a bit. “I’ve tried to do what I can to make them as durable as possible, improving on the original designs. They… they still keep blowing up…” She smiled. “But better them than a person, right?”

“True…” David crossed his arms, thinking, “Your enemies main weapon is still plasma, correct? Perhaps if we could design a temporary shield that deflects energy, you could activate it when you know your SHIVs are about to take damage and nullify it…”

“That… that could work!” Sunny ducked behind a counter, and pulled out a blueprint of one of the SHIVs. “I could… make up for their lack of flying capability by…” She started drawing and sketching. “There is plenty of room… here… I could use a smaller version of the one Alice’s MEC uses, fight it with a… sensor, and have it… automatically…” She smiled up at David. “Th-thank you, Mr. Cross. This will save me a lot of rebuilding, or at the very least, help the SHIVs last longer. And you can help me install them… if… i-if you want to… I mean, I would… help you…”

“I’d love to, I might be here awhile until my tower is repaired.” He said, placing a hand on her shoulder, “But… Can I ask one thing before we start?”

“Of course,” Sunny answered. “Ask me anything.”

“Would you mind introducing me to Alice? She’s a marvel, and I heard that you even made her an artificial human body.” David asked, flattering the young girl.

Sunny blushed a bit. “I only put my own spin… though I did add… o-of course!” Sunny rushed out of her work space. She return a minute later, pulling Alice along. “Mr. Cross, meet my Artificial Linguistic Integrated Computerized Entity, the pride of all my work.” Alice blushed a little herself, and twiddled her fingers at David.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Alice.” He said, offering her a handshake.

Alice extended her hand back. “The pleasure is mine, Mr. Cross. Barely a day goes by when your daughter didn’t talk about you. And Sunny, for that matter.”

“Shush,” Sunny mumbled, nudging her.

“It’s quite alright, I’m used to all the praise.” he said, looking at Sunny before turning back to Alice, “Your artificial skin feels so real, Dr. Randolph really did an amazing job.”

“Thank you, Mr. Cross.” Alice bowed her head slightly. “It is designed to mimic human skin as much as possible. It… it isn’t the most durable skin, obviously, but it is what I wanted.”

“So, what do you like to do when you’re not helping Dr. Randolph here?” David asked with a friendly tone.

Alice looked a bit caught off guard, having expected a technical question. “Oh, I… I enjoy watching movies, studying anything I can… and testing my senses to refine them.”

“What kind of movies, if I may ask?” David replied.

Alice smiled. “I try a little of everything, though I’m mostly into older action movies. It is almost as if I’ve found a venue in them, and the movies of a time speak volumes for those that make them. I guess you could say I’m studying late 80s, early 90s America right now.”

“Interesting… One more thing, in your opinion, what does it mean to be alive?” David asked, listening intently for her answer.

Alice blinked several times. “I… I never really thought about it. Some people might argue that I’m… not really alive. I’m just an A.I., after all. But… if I am, I’d say being truly alive is living through those around you. The life you lead, and the people you affect, shape you as much as you shape them. To be alive means to be a part of a bigger picture. In that sense, even after we are gone, if we made a big enough impact, even if it isn’t very long lasting, then we live on forever through other people.”

David’s smile widened, “That’s a wonderful answer, thank you… Now, you might be wondering why I’m asking you these things.”

Alice slowly nodded. “I… was under the impression you’d ask me more technical things.”

“Well, any engineer worth their salt could make a robot, I wanted to see if you could truly answer questions like a person could, and, I’m proud to say you can.”

Sunny nodded, and Alice shyly kicked her leg. “So you… really think I’m a person now?”

“Well, I think I’d have to know you a little longer to truly say, but for now, you really do seem like one.” He spoke.

Alice grinned. “Thank you.”

Sunny smiled at the two, then frowned when she noticed the clock. “Oh dear… you said you wanted to help out, right Mr. Cross?”

“Right.” He said as he nodded.

“Good.” She reached into a drawer, placing a spare tool belt in front of David and rushing over to one of the SHIVs. “Then lets get to work. I need this thing at least halfway back to normal in an hour!”

“You know, I think it’ll be a good change of pace to work with someone else again.” David said, picking up the tool belt and hooking it onto his waist.

BMPixy

“The Wheel of Fortune”
Holo-Training Room
0823 Hours Local, December 6, 2018

"So, what is it you called us here for?" Chopper asked, impatiently rocking back and forth on his heels. "No 'ffense, but I was in the middle of something when you called me over here."

Fay pointedly ignored Chopper's comment, focusing more so on the console in front of her as she defined the parameters of the program.

"Binging on rock and roll doesn't count as 'the middle of something', Chopper," Nagase replied.

"Of course that's what a plebeian like you would say," Davenport shot back. "Properly listening requires the right state of mind, to let yourself become one with the music and let it flow through you. Shit requires plenty of prep, and some cooldown time afterwards."

"Regardless," Fay interrupted, "finished with program. Need both of you for testing. If you would..." Fay tapped a button on the terminal, and a holographic grid formed, with a Muton Berserker standing in the center of the grid. "Confirm that both can see the Berserker." Alvin and Nagase shot a questioning look at each other, before they both shrugged and gave an affirmative.

Fay nodded. “And now to perform final test,” she said, raising an arm and channeling forth her psionic powers, a yellow glow enveloping the limb. Focusing, she turned her gaze to the holographic Muton Berserker, and released her accumulated psionic charge, the yellow light quickly dissipating. “Davenport: number of Berserkers present,” the psion ordered.

“Two,” Chopper replied, examining the pair of Berserkers before him. “Pretty good impression I’d say, can barely tell it apart from the real thing.”

“What do you mean?” Nagase asked, looking confusedly at the lone Berserker in front of her. “There’s only one of them!”

“Edge, I think you might need to have your eyes checked, I think it’s pretty obvious that there’s two Berserkers there,” the other pilot said, gesturing at the pair of Berserkers.

Nagase shook her head. “No, I think you’ve been drinking too much of that ‘Jeremiah Weed’ you’re so fond of, especially if you’re hallucinating two Bers-” she cut herself off, and shot a glare at Fay, who had an expression of calm neutrality on her face. “You’ve figured out how to create selective illusions, haven’t you?” the Firestorm pilot said, a slight degree of irritation in her voice.

Fay nodded simply. “Correct. Equation determining illusionary drain, for at least my own powers, was two times the number of illusions, raised to the quantity of the number of observers times the number of those observers who were psions. Thus, quickest way to remove drain on powers is to limit observers. I always count as an observer, but by selectively targeting illusions, can enable easier battlefield use of powers.”

“What do you mean, for your own powers?” Chopper asked. “I thought you were trying to find a unified equation for illusionary powers.”

“Deemed impossible,” the African-American replied. “Psionics equal parts worldview as well as technique. For instance, illusions. Atka can use illusions as well, but hers are anchored to herself, while mine can be placed roughly anywhere observable. Same technique, same power, only difference is color and worldview.”

“Huh, interesting,” Alvin observed. “Also, as I said before, why do your illusions seem more… real than they did before?”

“A simple solution, one that was easily missed,” Fay answered. “And, more proof that psionics are heavily based on the mental state of the user. Was viewing illusions as illusions, thus seemed illusionary. When viewed as part of reality, became so.”

The two pilots paused, mulling over that fact. "Huh," Alvin said, "Kinda obvious in hindsight."

"Please, as if. You probably didn't even think all that much on Fay's powers after she showed them to us," Edge snarked.

"Regardless," Fay interrupted, "finished with testing, no longer require your assistance." With a nod, the psion turned back to the console, and began to type away at it, resetting the simulation.

"Are you gonna ask her 'bout it?" Chopper asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Why should I? She's your war buddy," Nagase whispered back, slowly beginning to edge away from the other pilot and towards the exit.

"Yeah, but that's gir-"

"Still audible," the sniper in question interjected.

"Right, have fun Chopper!" Nagase exclaimed, making a beeline for the door.

"Dammit, I thought you were my wingmate!" Davenport shouted back, but Nagase was already gone.

"So, you had a question?" Fay asked, raising her eyebrow inquisitively.

"Right, uh, yeah," the pilot replied, scratching his neck uncertainly. "Basically, I, uh, wanted to ask you, ah, about certain things that I, er, overhead the other day. "

"My drinking with a strange man, getting touchy-feely with him after drinking, and then leaving with him?" Fay tilted her head slightly, seeking confirmation.

"Oh, yeah, that. Just wanted to check in on you, make sure you weren't taken advantage of, y'know?" Chopper said with a slight shrug.

"Minato was as affected as I," the sniper replied. "And, well..." Fay trailed off, leaving a pregnant pause before adding, "Am currently seeing him."

"Oh, alright," Alvin replied, relief evident in his voice. "Just making sure that everything was A-Okay there. Glad to see you're moving past what happened with Bek. Anyways, I'll be heading out to go murder Nagase. See ya!"

Fay gave a short wave as Chopper made his way out of the training room. As soon as he was out of sight, Fay quietly ground her teeth together, and tried her best to clear her mind of the brief flood of memories. Not entirely past, evidently, she thought.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Taxor_the_First & ZombieSplitter53
The Binding of Isaac: Part One

X-COM HQ, Siberia, Cell Block
1:28 PM, December 5th, 2018

Did Isaac regret taunting the Central Officer? To a degree, yes. If he hadn’t, they might not have stuck him in the brig for so long. By now, the Commander might have arrived to discuss his… future.

He knew this strategy well, of course. Let the prisoner rot in an enclosed area for a few days, re-evaluate their life. Then you’d go in and do the questioning. The more time they’d had to think about their predicament, usually the more amiable they’d be to answering your questions.

Indeed, Isaac had been re-evaluating his life. Only a week before, one of the few people he could call a true friend had perished in front of him. That tended to leave a mental scar to match the one on his cheek. It would fade, however. As callous as he felt for thinking that, he knew it would fade.

He’d experienced it before, after all.

Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
11:07 PM, 5th January, 2010

Maria smiled when he walked into her room. Ruefully, he smiled back, seating himself down on a chair beside her bed.

“You got my call then,” she said, her voice unusually soft, an Italian accent present but barely noticeable.

“Yeah.” He looked around the room. “Not the sort of deathbed you’d expect for someone like you, is it?”

Maria shook her head. “No. I’d have expected a firing squad, at the very least.”

They sat in silence for a moment, both quite aware that this was likely the last time they’d see each other.

“How long have you known?” Isaac asked, breaking the silence.

“A few months,” was the reply. She shrugged. “It’s what I get for smoking all the time.”

“Not treatable?”

Maria looked at him. “Would I be in this wing if it was?” She shook her head. “No, no. I was supposed to be dead already, you know. I’d like to say I held out for you, but I’d be lying. My body wants to survive as long as it can, after all. I have no control over it.”

“Not how you expected to go?”

“Not at all. I suppose, in a way, it’s less stressful than being shot, but I wouldn’t know about that. That was always your job.”

“And you kept me safe. Fed me intel.”

“You and your daughter,” she reminded him. “You’d have no idea where she was if it weren’t for me.”

“That’s why you’re the godmother.”

Maria laughed, leaning back into her pillows. “Mmm. I always wondered if you were making a joke when you did that.”

Isaac smiled. “It was Samuel’s idea. He’s got a surprising sense of humour at times.”

“Laughter is important. If you don’t laugh, you don’t live.”

“And have you lived?”

“I have. That I can say with certainty.” Maria sighed, the sigh of someone trying to come to terms with a regret. “She’ll never know, you know.”

Isaac blinked. “Who? What?”

“Your daughter. She’ll never know I passed away. I suppose it’s better that way, at least then her information is outdated if she’s ever kidnapped.”

“I’d never let that happen,” Isaac said, his eyes hard.

“Not again,” Maria whispered. When she noticed Isaac staring at her, she elaborated. “Remember that time she disappeared? When I couldn’t find her?”

“You mean right after she left?”

“Yes. I’m almost certain of it. She was taken, she didn’t hide herself.”

Isaac hesitated. “I don’t believe that,” he said at last. Maria merely shrugged. “She’d have told somebody.”

“I’m simply saying what my gut feeling is, not what the evidence says.”

“Because when has the evidence ever been right?”

“When I’m around?” Maria laughed. “Never.”

They sat and talked about nothing for a while, both acutely aware that time was running out for them, and Maria’s voice grew ever-so slightly weaker. At around midnight, Isaac excused himself to grab the two of them coffee. When he returned, he found the room filled with nurses and a few doctors, all trying to bring back the spiralling heart rate of their patient. Maria, still conscious, turned her head to see Isaac returned, and smiled, her eyes closing and the heart monitor emitting a long, low tone. The nurses and doctors stood still for a moment, until one of them mustered up the strength to read out the time of death.

As he’d stood there, paralysed by the grief he’d been holding back, a nurse had seen him and walked up to him. “You Isaac?” she asked softly. When he’d nodded, she swallowed nervously. “Before she… passed, she said to tell you something.”

“What?”

The nurse frowned. “’Judgement Day’, she said. Said you’d know what it meant.”

Isaac had thanked the nurse and left the hospital, mind racing. He knew exactly what the now-dead Overseer had given him. Some would call it a great gift.

He wasn’t so sure.

X-COM HQ, Siberia, Cell Block
1:35 PM, December 5th, 2018

Isaac was jolted from his memory by the clanking of doors opening and closing, alongside footsteps. He stood up, curious to see if the visitors were meant for him.

“Hello, again,” Aya said, opening Isaac’s cell. “Fancy a chat? Or are we still giving me the silent, ‘I can’t tell you anything’ treatment?”

Isaac scowled as he stood up. “You don’t let things go easily, do you?” he asked. “Fine, I’ll ‘chat’. Anything’s better than sitting in here.”

“Come with me, then.” Aya motioned for Isaac to follow her, surprisingly walking past the interrogation room and towards the exit. “The Commander would like to see you.”

“The Commander? Oh good. I need to talk to her about my accomodations. The bed is far too hard.” Despite his sarcastic tone, he obediently followed, taking care not to make any sudden movements.

Aya frowned as they made their way through the hallways. “Well, you kinda brought it on your self. Believe it or not, I don’t enjoy throwing civilians in jail cells, even if you aren’t an ordinary civilian.”

Isaac ignored the remark. “So why does the Commander want to see me?”

Aya scoffed. “Because she thinks you’re more then you try to let on. I suggest being polite. She hasn’t exactly had the best war…”

“Surely you aren’t suggesting I’d be impolite to someone who indirectly ordered my incarceration, then left me stewing in there for over a week?”

“Yeah, yeah… like I said, brought it on yourself.”

A few minutes later, the pair stepped into the Commander’s office. Morrigan looked Issac up and down. With a sigh, she said, “Leave us.”

Aya raised an eyebrow. “You sure?”

Morrigan nodded, and Aya reluctantly stepped out, closing the door behind her. “So… how are you, sir?”

Isaac refrained from repeating what he’d said to Aya. “Better than a few minutes ago. May I ask a personal question?”

Morrigan thought for a moment, then nodded. “If it’ll help you be a little more giving, then go right ahead.”

“I had a… friend, who was killed shortly before you arrived. I just wanted to know if you recovered any bodies, or if you left that to the government.” He shrugged. “I’d like to give him a proper ceremony later.”

“We have a few. Any recovered near aliens, examined for contaminates or any such problem. Treated with respect, of course. You’re friend is likely in our unfortunately large morgue.”

Isaac nodded. “Good, thank you. I guess that’ll give me something to do later…” His eyes narrowed slightly. “Assuming you decide I’m trustworthy enough, since you seem to have issues on that front.”

Morrigan chuckled. “You… you were in my dropship, waving a gun around, insisting you don’t mean us harm without explaining why, and had way too much information.” She leaned forward in her seat. “I’m willing to bet you know exactly where you are, don’t you?”

Isaac waved a hand dismissively. “The gun was incidental. I had nowhere else to put it. As for our location, I don’t usually make it a point to remember geographic coordinates off by heart. I know only that we’re in Siberia, and that it’s a long, long way to walk anywhere else civilized.” He rubbed his arm. “Cold, too.”

“Bullshit.” Morrigan starred Isaac down, the smile instantly fading from her face. “You knew we were going to Siberia before that ship ever left Cairo. And then there’s this.” She reached under her desk, and placed a well used shotgun on it.

His eyes darted to the weapon, and a glint of recognition appeared. “That belonged to my friend. Brought it with me, a bit like a memento.” He sighed. “At least it wasn’t left in Cairo.”

“You might not be able to speak Arabic, but I have plenty of people who can. And it only took them five minutes, asking those people with you, that you were using the handgun, this shotgun, and a sniper rifle like you were a fucking one-man army. You are no normal civilian, so stop insulting my intelligence, and start talking. We can start simple… like with a name.”

Isaac sighed. “You say you’re starting simple, but you’ve just asked possibly the most complex question you could. I can see, however, that we’re not going to get anywhere without me answering it. Before I answer, I have to ask you to promise me this won’t go beyond this room. Can you promise me that?”

“There is a reason I asked my Central Officer to leave,” Morrigan answered. “So if it’ll get us past the redirects, half-lies, and more cryptic bullshit then a Lovecraft story, then yes, I promise.”

A smile cracked Isaac’s face. “Then you’re halfway there already. You might not know, but you suspect.” He shook his head. “Then allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Isaac Anderson, father of Penny Anderson, and formerly best known as the Judge.” He smiled. “Now, I’m best known as the Overseer. A pleasure to finally meet you in person, Commander.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Taxor_the_First & ZombieSplitter53
The Binding of Isaac: Part Two

Morrigan’s expression remained neutral, though Isaac's well trained eye caught her shift uncomfortably ever so much. “Is that so? That is a very… very bold statement. I don’t suppose you could back it up in any way, shape, or form.”

Isaac tilted his head slightly. “Documents? No. However, you can ask me something that you know only the Overseer would know, and I will answer. I’d suggest you ask me about your daughter…” he waved a hand. “... but everyone and their dog knows she’s here by now.”

Morrigan’s hand suddenly sprang forward, hefting the shotgun in the air and pointing it at Isaac. “If you are the Overseer, you should know bringing her up when I am not sure exactly who you are and who you work for is a really… really bad idea.”

“Never thought I’d be on the receiving end of that shotgun,” Isaac murmured, before straightening his back ever-so-slightly. “It’s also a fantastic way to get your attention. I remember our first conversation, you misinterpreted what I said regarding her as a threat. That was… my fault. Sometimes I don’t word things correctly. Forget people aren’t looking at my face, or hearing my voice. Now that we’re talking about her in person, it’s… uh…” He glanced nervously at the barrel. “... slightly more obvious.”

Morrigan stared at Isaac for a few more moments, then shrugged. “We all have our faults. Mine is my temper. Though I’ve been working on it.” She tossed the shotgun to Isaac, they weapon obviously a little light. “One day at a time.”

Isaac checked the chamber. “Empty.” He grinned, and let it hang by his side. “I’d suggest that temper has helped you more times than it hasn’t. Look at the Council. They had to adapt once you made it clear you weren’t willing to deal with their shit.”

“And speaking of the Council…” Morrigan leaned back. “There is a certain individual on base right now. Someone connected to them. Do you… know her name?”

“Rebecca Carter,” Isaac answered without hesitation. “Former member for the United States on the Council of Nations. Tragic story. Aliens attacked an apartment complex she just happened to be living in. Killed by the initial assault. Tragic, tragic.”

“Yes… very tragic. Though she wonders how long she’ll have to remain a tragic story.” Morrigan seemed to relax for the first time, though a somewhat irritated look spread across her face. “Of course… if you are the Overseer, that just means I’m going to get even less answers, doesn’t it?”

“Were you anyone else, you’d be right. However, I know enough about you to say with about eighty-five percent certainty you’re trustworthy.” Isaac hesitated. “Naturally, there’s going to be some things I can’t tell you, but anything regarding this war is free game.”

“Of course.” Morrigan smiled. “You know, Mr. Anderson… I had my suspicions about your identity. Especially with that mask. Though, I must admit, the fact that you are supposedly dead, at least according to every source I could find. He look pretty good for a dead man.”

“Thank you,” Isaac said, resisting the urge to wink. “You have my mask? ... good. Penny see it?”

“See it?” Morrigan chuckled. “She was assigned to examine it when we first got it. We planned on giving it to someone else once her workload rose, but she insisted on holding on to it. I almost suspect you payed off Vahlen to have her give it to Penny.” She raised an eyebrow. “Please tell me you didn’t.”

Isaac raised an eyebrow in turn. “Payed off Vahlen? And you thought storming Invidia was difficult.” He shook his head. “Nah, she’s clean. Couple of people in the science labs aren’t, they may have made certain recommendations.”

“Hmm…” Morrigan shrugged. “Better you then the aliens… I suppose. Speaking of which, I hope I didn’t intimidate that man working with Penny too bad. Please understand, when I’m asked to watch over someone by the most powerful information broker in the world who may or may not be her father, I have to cover my ass.”

Isaac laughed. “Please, Morrigan. You flatter me. I merely inherited the position. And Charles was fine. A bit rustled, but I assured him if you wanted him arrested you would have done so already.”

“And that is true.” Morrigan tilted her head. “I’m guessing any question about you and your daughter is off limits.”

Isaac hesitated. “You know how you feel about your own daughter? Let’s just say you aren’t the only one willing to go very far to protect them. As for questions… for now, they are indeed off limits. There’s something I need to take care of there.”

“That’s fair.” Morrigan sighed. “I… I don’t know how I’m going to explain it without telling anyone anything, but you’ll have free roam of the base… minus a few obvious locations.”

Isaac nodded, then frowned. “I was thinking about going back to my own little headquarters, but if I’m looking for security, this is probably the best place in the world. Would you mind at all if I set up a few computers somewhere? Just so I can keep track of things, make sure my agent’s haven’t gotten rowdy in my absence.”

Morrigan nodded. “I’ll make sure you are set up nicely.”

“Excellent. Knowing them, someone’s tried to seize power already.” Isaac shrugged. “It’s a cutthroat business. And of course, I’ll tell you if something interesting happens.”

“Good.” Morrigan extended her hand. “It is nice to finally meet you face to face. I look forward to working even closer to you now.”

Isaac took her hand, shaking it. “You’d probably be the only one.”

Adrammalech

// RENAISSANCE //
Emily Fischer
XCOM Headquarters – Supply Closet #3
December 5th, 2018 - 2:11 PM

Emily leaned against the wall, drumming her fingers on her upper arm. The squeaking of wheels and the rattling of thin metal quickened outside of the door, signaling the arrival of her guest. Ben walked in nervously, brushing tiny hairs from his dark brown suit and making sure his hair was coiffed in the perfect style of dull he usually donned. It’s almost as if he took so long responding to her message just to make sure he could look as boring as possible.

“Hey Emily,” he said casually, puffing his jacket. “Did you want to tell me another memory, or is this about…”

“This is about what happened that’s stopping you from putting those doctors in their place,” Emily said.

“Oh, I don’t know if I want to…”

“I’ve shared a lot of memories with you, Ben. Personal memories, that no one else in the world knows. Even starting to tell Dallas some of them, he still doesn’t know half as much as you do,” Emily explained. “Now it’s time for you to share with me.”

“It’s…it’s boring, alright,” Ben insisted. “You don’t want to hear about me.”

“I do,” Emily nodded. “I want you to tell me all about it, everything you can remember. Boring, embarrassing, happy, painful, everything. Just like I do.”

“Emily, I…”

Emily crossed her arms and looked at him sternly, leaving no question.

“You won’t let me get away with no, will you?”

Emily slowly shook her head.

“F-fine…for the sake of fairness, I’ll tell you. But I’m not changing my mind about the present.”

Ben walked towards the center of the closet, leaning against a shelf and making sure it would support him taking it for a small comfort. His eyes roamed upwards and he scratched his chin. Let me think…it was…August. 2001. I was working with one of my usual clients, this guy with a rather fragile ego. Pretty simple self-esteem boost…

// MEMORY: HELPLESS //
Benjamin Ceymotch, 25
Dr. C’s
Long Beach, California, USA
August 2nd, 2001 – 4:59 PM

“…and then she kicked me out. Said I was too jealous, too ‘clingy,’ what the hell does that even mean?”

“Distrust can be very destructive, Martin, at least without–”

A knock from outside the window. I got up and opened the blinds, Todd wavering outside the window. I opened the door and he stumbled inside.

“What are you doing here, Todd…?”

“I need…help. I need help!”

“Whoa, is that that guy from that one show…what was it, back in the 70s?” Martin perked up. “Damn, what was it called?”

I turn towards my other client and grip my brow, rubbing it stressfully.

“Do you mind if I handle this, Mr. Gerrard?”

“No, that’s rad, I didn’t know you had famous clients,” he chuckled excitedly, “I can go for a bathroom break as long as you aren’t billing me for it.”

“Of course not, and thank you for understanding.”

My client left the room and pulled out his cellular phone, tapping the numbers idly. I opened the door and Todd stumbled in. I gestured him to follow me into the small kitchen I had in the office, and he followed along moaning and groaning. I pulled out a couple of different colored cans from the fridge and placed them on the table.

“Soda, juice, or tap?” I asked.

“Tap…?” Todd said, looking as though he was struck by something. “Y-you don’t got any bottled, Dr. C?”

“There’s no difference.”

“There’s fluoride in the tap, Doc! That’s messin’ with like, the natural order,” he ruffled his hair in frustration.

“Do you recycle the bottles?”

“What’s a recycle?”

I sighed with disappointment. The natural order apparently involved overflowing landfills. “What do you need, Todd?”

“What, we’re doing it here instead of the sofa? How casual, Dr. C.”

“We’re not ‘doing’ anything, I told you before, I don’t do sessions while you’re drunk.”

“I’m not drunk, though, Dr. C!”

“It takes more than a breath mint to fool me,” I sighed.

“No, really. I just took a bunch of pills at a party instead. Listen, I can hear you!”

I shook my head, taking a cup and turning the faucet. “No drunk, no high, no nothing. You come with a clear head and then we can talk. It’s the one rule I have, Todd, and it’s not unreasonable.”

“You don’t get it, man, this is serious,” he glared, rubbing his arms quickly, “Linda kicked me out, man. Said I was caught up in the past, throwing my suits all over the driveway. They’re gonna be writing about me, man, saying she’s cheating and I’m a loser!”

“Were there any people there to write about it?”

“No…nah, we were alone. But you know the paparazzi, they’re everywhere, even when you can’t see them! Like eagles, man!”

“No one saw it, Todd, you’re fine. Do you need money for a hotel?”

“No, man, I need help! I need that stupid bitch to take me back!”

I walked over and handed him the glass, and he looked down at the tap water with disgust. “I am helping. I know it doesn’t seem like it now. Get a room, lay down and read a book or something. When you wake up sober tomorrow, come here first thing, and we’ll talk. Simple enough, right?”

He looked down at the water and then back at me. I flinched as he dropped it onto the ground, the plastic shattering at my feet.

“No one gets it, man,” he said weakly, glaring at me and then turning away. “I pay you a lot of money, Dr. C, and I’m going – and you’re going to realize you should’ve appreciated me.”

“It’s not about the money, Todd, it’s how the process works,” I replied sadly, watching him storm out.

I crouch down, being careful not to let the water touch my pants. I scoop up a handful of broken plastic pieces before the worry sets in, not really knowing if Todd had someone to crash with or otherwise. Tossing the pieces onto the counter, I head out of the kitchen and back to the front door. I barely get halfway to the door when I hear a heavy bang from outside, the sound plenty recognizable in L.A. County. I rush forwards, but it’s too late…

Adrammalech

// RENAISSANCE: PART TWO //
Emily Fischer
XCOM Headquarters – Supply Closet #3
December 5th, 2018 - 2:19 PM

Ben remained quiet, looking down at his feet, his expression more pained than when he began.

“He killed himself?” Emily asked.

Ben nodded. “Right on my doorstep. I guess I was his last resort. And I turned him away, I basically killed him.”

“I don’t know much about therapy, but I imagine not being high is a pretty standard rule. There’s not much point in meeting if you don’t remember the meeting tomorrow.”

“It was somewhat standard. I was just treating him for narcissism, I wasn’t a rehab or a drug specialist, so I wasn't really expected to deal with it. People who took famous clients were usually more lenient, if not encouraging about them, but I warned him several times from the beginning: I had my rule…”

“Then who’s to say it’s your fault? Maybe he wanted to do it before he’d even come to you. Maybe he didn’t even know what he was doing.”

“I’ve made all the excuses,” Ben shook his head, “but the trail ends with me. I knew it, and the newpapers knew it. ‘The Doctor Who Did Nothing.’”

“Then you gave up?”

“The police brought me in and out for a year or two, but they always came to those excuses as well. Once I was free and clear, I burned all my files and started off somewhere new, just taking clerk jobs from an agency. I was the most qualified there, so I got some clearances with government jobs…and that’s how I got here.”

“And everything before that was…”

“17 years ago,” Ben sighed.

“I think it’s cooled down since then.”

“It’s not about ‘cooling down,’ I hurt someone. I had a job, I was trusted to do it, and I failed. That failure cost someone their life, and I don’t want that trust again. There’s a reason the doctors are able to blow me off, because I deserve it.”

“What happened then doesn’t matter now. You’re older and you’ve got experience, and someone needs to tell those doctors that what they’re doing is a bad idea.”

“You could, but it’s not going to be me.”

“You can go to the Commander, say you want to be licensed as a psychologist so you can go toe-to-toe with them.”

“Even if I wanted to, they told me first thing that they wouldn’t pay me more. And it looks like we might win, and then they actually have to pay people.”

“Then just say you’ll accept a mailman’s salary,” Emily said. “Do whatever you have to.”

“It won’t work.”

Ben moped towards the other side of the room, his face one of despair and his posture particularly miserable. A man utterly convinced that his role in life was to fail or harm, the dark brown wrapper of his suit signifying years of trying to run away and hide.

“Let me ask another question,” Emily said, fixing Ben with a stare. “Why did you start your degree?”

“I don’t know, I had plenty of scholarships, and the pay wasn’t bad for an advanced…”

Emily lunged forwards, gripping him by his arms and slamming him into the wall. Although she was smaller and thinner than Ben, the death glare and the claws digging through his suit sleeves were intimidating enough for him.

“Stop thinking, why did you start your degree?”

“T-to help people!”

“And why did you suddenly stop wanting to help people?”

Ben scowled and grabbed her wrists, tossing her back, taking comfort in knowing she probably wouldn’t resort to violence.

“I was afraid, I was doing more harm than good!” he growled, his brow knitting.

“Afraid!” Emily laughed loudly, barking it in his face. “When’s the last time you’ve seen a mouse pulling someone off a battlefield, or a raccoon running into a blazing house?”

“I know what you’re doing, and that-”

“Heroes, people that help people, don’t pay attention to their own fears! They use their goddamn heart and they charge in and they do whatever they can. And when people shit on them for it, they go and they fucking do it again!”

“The stupid…man or mouse routine won’t work on me! Psychology is not the same as being a soldier!”

“You’re going to tell me that you were arguing with the doctor so passionately because you thought Sybille wasn’t in danger? That she couldn’t be hurt?” Emily jabbed a finger into his chest to punctuate.

“Of course she could be hurt, that’s what I was worried about…”

“Well, in that case, Mr. I’m-Different-From-A-Soldier, there’s a young woman down there; helpless, alone, and in real danger,” Emily grabbed him again, unblinking. “Are you going to do what needs to be done to save her, or hide like a mouse because of some mistake two decades ago?”

“I…I…”

Emily scoffed and let go, bringing her fists to her side. “Forget it. Maybe you would hurt more than help.”

“I…I have her best interests in mind,” he meekly responded.

“Looks like you have yours,” Emily shook her head, turning the doorknob.

Ben surged forwards, slamming his hand onto the door. “I’m not selfish! Being worried is not selfish!”

“Sybille could die without you.”

“I…I’ll help her!” he proclaimed, glaring back at Emily.

“No, you’ll say you’ll help her, then you’ll get to Morrigan’s office and get scared, then scurry away.”

No! I will help her, no matter what it takes! I always would’ve done that, from the day I graduated school to today, I want to help!

Emily pulled Ben’s arm away and opened the door, standing aside.

“Prove it.”

Ben looked out for a brief moment, the adrenaline vitalizing his tired arms and legs. He nodded and walked by her, storming down the hall and leaving his mail cart at the closet door. Soldiers walking down the halls towards the bar actually moved around him, sensing the march of a resolute man. Emily gently closed the door behind her as she walked out, her stare softening and her mouth curling into a smile. She knew she could’ve just asked Morrigan to stop Sybille from being released, but this was all the more rewarding.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

Billiards III - Modya Dragomirov and the Rocketeers

2200 Hours, December 7th, 2018
The Lounge

A resounding crack accompanied a solid ball meeting the Dragomirov's cue stick. Rolling to the side, the sphere collided with the edge of the table, then pushed the previous ball in numerical order into the pocket. #2 soon followed #1, scoring two in a row for the Russian. Eyeing the table carefully, he determined that it would be better to move number three closer without risking knocking in the looming eight ball. He soon made good on that conclusion, #3 gazing idly at the now-closeby pocket on the center right.

"I have no plan of lettin' you lose, ya know," Megan challenged as she rubbed some chalk onto her own instrument. "I've been practicing. And neither of us can pull any psionic trickery, so this'll be a fair game."

Scarlet rolled her eyes, sliding one of the headphones off her right ear. "I can hear you, you know."

The youngest stuck out her tongue at the eldest rocketeer. "With your mind powers, I'm sure."

The Palestinian-Welsh woman sighed deeply. "Apparently you cannot hear me. I don't listen to my music that loud, Brookie. I prefer not to blow out my ears like some people. The deaf can't enjoy the sound of music, can they?"

"Brookie?" Sharron smiled, having to hold a hand over her mouth to keep from laughing.

Scarlet glared at the Israeli for a moment before looking away indignantly. "W-what's so funny?"

"You just sound like an angry kid trying to come up with an insult," Letz said, almost but not quite neutrally.

"...chucklefucks," Scarlet mumbled sheepishly.

I don't think that helped. Modya smiled wistfully, shaking his head. His attention was quickly diverted as Megan sunk the 9th and 10th, though separately. Only by the 11th ball did Megan miss, sending old #3 into his place instead. The Dragomirov smiled widely. "Why, thank you, Megan."

"Shut up!" Megan pouted, laying her arms on the table and sinking down slightly, as if the blunder stole her strength to stand.

"No cheating," Christine said, pulling the Brooklyn rocketeer off of the table.

"I wasn't..." Megan whined, too depressed to resist the orange psion's strong pull. "You're the one that could open a portal and pop a ball through."

Christine let go of Megan, her eyes widening for a moment as the other rocketeer nearly collapsed, not trying to stand up on her own feet. "Huh... I never thought about making it smaller for something other than people. I wonder if I could use that to add a whole new dimension to Sergio's ricochet shot."

"Done correctly, it could reduce inertia for a moment when the round is picking up speed. Sort of like a portal gun, if you ask me. Have it reach terminal velocity and then move the portal exit so the shot will hit the target without being affected by friction until contact," Modya mused, sending #4 to her quaint little home in the top right with #1 and #2, narrowly passing by lonely #12.

"What are they talking about?" Megan whispered to Scarlet, knowing she could probably hear now. Realizing that the words were still too quiet, she asked again and her elder raised an eyebrow.

"Hell if I know. Don't ask the orphan about physics."

Megan looked the other rocketeer over. "You were... you never said."

Scarlet realized her blunder, frowning. "What does it matter?"

Megan scratched the back of her head. "Well, my parents died awhile ago. I sorta became the breadwinner for our family. I'm hoping I can get involved with all this tech so I can provide for my sister and get her a good education."

"That so?" Scarlet sighed. "I'd rather not be too open with someone like you... you'll just talk..."

The New Yorker shook her head. "I won't, I promise."

The Briton considered her counterpart for a moment. "Fine... I went to the same orphanage as Ammelia Cross and Mary Thomas, as well as their two sisters. I figure I might go live with them, though I don't have much use other than a bodyguard."

"Oooh, are the quadruplets?" A nod. "Cool... I imagine it was hard, but you had them, right?" Before Scarlet could answer, Modya called Megan back over after nearly dealing with troublesome #5 that had to be bounced off the sides twice, and still didn't make it in."

"We'll talk later." Megan walked back over, drawing her cue stick sword again. "Bye bye, eleven." The stripe, right next to the pocket where it had pushed in one of the solids, rolled in smoothly, and Megan moved over to #12, bouncing it off the right side of the table and sending it into the bottom left pocket. In doing so, it slid #13 into a more advantageous position behind #14. Both went into together, but Megan had no chance of getting in #15 this round.

A bead of sweat slid down Modya's forehead. She has gotten better. Dammit. The Russian squinted, analyzing this dark green battlefield. Letz stood behind him like a tactician in action.

"Thread six through fifteen and eight. It's risky, but you don't have much choice now, and that is the most direct path," the German rocketeer offered in a harsh whisper.

Modya nodded grimly. "It's the only option now." Lowering his stick to be almost level with the table, Modya estimated how much strength he would need to put into the push, and the tapped impatient #6, sending the sphere on an agonizingly slow path to the center left pocket. After what felt like eons, it went in, only lightly tapping deathly #8, pushing it towards the center.

Smiling now, Modya took aim on seven, sending it towards the same nearby pocket with a bit more strength. #7 happily rolled towards the pocket, and then hit its right edge. Then the left. The right again. It pushed off either side, getting closer, and then stopped at the lip of the pocket. "*Insert Russian Swearing Here*," Modya swore.

"Impatience cost you dearly," Sharron noted with a bemused smile.

"Did you overestimate the friction, or underestimate the power of your magnified bicep structure?" Christine inquired jokingly.

"I have a good idea of my own strength," Modya snapped. "Probably... what Sharron said," he added more quietly.

Megan wagged a taunting finger at the Dragomirov, lining up a shot on the precariously-positioned seven ball. "Don't get too mad... just yet."

"What are you..." Modya's eyes widened as he realized what she was planning. "Bog chert, don't you dare-"

With a shit-eating grin, Megan had carefully lined up her shot, ignoring the fuming Russian, and hit unhappy #7 lightly. The ball rolled into the side of clever #15, sending her spinning into the center right pocket, not to be joined by seven.

Modya's face fell as taunting #8 was lazily sunk into the previously-empty top left container, marking the victory for Megan. "That is rotten luck."

"Or was it strategy?" Megan countered indignantly, crossing her arms.

"Luck," Scarlet confirmed without a second thought.

"Yeah..." Megan conceded, and the six rocketeers shared a laugh. "So... I know some people's plans for the war, but what about you Sharron, Letz, and Modya?"

Sharron and Letz both shrugged. "Not much for me. Just plan to return home to family, maybe return to the defense force someday," the former stated.

"And I'll be doing much the same, though I am thinking a career more in mechanical engineering. If I know how to break something, I can learn how to prevent it from being broken too," the latter had decided.

"If we make it." Scarlet looked over the others as Christine came back with drinks. "I'm not so sure we can avoid further casualties, facing such powerful opponents."

Modya nodded in agreement. "Of course not, but focusing on the worst-cast scenario won't change anything. The best we can do is stay on our guard so we can return home safely, God willing." The Russian adjusted his ushanka. "I can't just try, though. I have a duty to be a father now."

"Jessica coming with you or vise versa?" Christine asked, sipping her margarita.

"She'll probably come with me to Russia. She speaks the language, and says I'm probably more attached to my home. Not that I don't plan to visit, of course. I've been to Chicago before, and it's a wonderful city," Modya replied, having a shot of vodka. “As for what I’ll do, I figure I can make a living building and testing explosives, rather than using them in combat. If the Exalts start up that corporation of theirs, maybe they’ll have a Russian branch.”

“Why you’d want to work under her is beyond me,” Scarlet muttered.

Megan swirled the ice in her tea. "Didn't that Volkova chick give you a call? What'd she say?"

"That if she didn't get to see the children I'd meet a combination of alcohol and a match," Modya chuckled. "So yeah, I think I'll be quite busy in a few months with Mikhail, Sasha, and their admirers."

Sharron smiled. "Good for you. Send my cousins pictures, they'd love that."

Letz nodded in agreement. "I wish you well, friend."

"C'mon Scarlet, be nice too," Megan complained.

Scarlet glared at her for a moment, and then took off her headphones. "...I'll visit... sometime..." I may have a little soft spot for children... she explained to him alone.

Modya smiled in understanding. "A father, huh? I wasn't sure initially, but now... I like the sound of that."

Dahlexpert

Dhalexpert & Marine Avenger

X-COM HQ, Siberia, Med bay
13:27 PM December 7 2018

Eva enters the med bay with a permanent smile on her face. “Hay Desmond what’s up, can’t call you cyborg since the main thing that makes you a cyborg is gone.”

Desmond sighed in contempt. “Yeah, yeah, laugh it up now. I could still beat you like this.” he waved his hand to a seat next to his bed, inviting her to sit down. “How are things with you?”

“Fan freakin tastic, and i’m going to ignore what you said because there is nothing you can say that can bring down my mood I’m just to happy.”

The psionic soldier rose an eyebrow. “Dare I ask why?”

Evas smile get’s even bigger “I’m getting married.”

Desmond had a smile on his face as well and he nodded in approval. “That is awesome Eva!” He said with genuine excitement. “I’m glad you are finally moving away from your hard exterior. This is just a step closer to becoming a better person. But I warn you that marriage will change you. You won’t be able to do what you do now. To be honest...I might retire after this war. As good as I am at it, I have responsibilities now.” His smile grew even wider, though he gave no indication what he was referring to.

“Yea I know I would have to retire, humm it’s going to be hard not being a soldier any more i’m so used to being one I don’t know how to be normal. Well there was a time that I was Lusetts maid and personal assistant and even then that was weird.” Eva bowed her head “Sigh so Desmond how are things between you and Elizabeth? I mean I kicked you out because one so you two can get some private time together and, because you're going to be spending the rest of your life together might as well start here so how are things?”

“I have some wonderful news Eva. Though I assume you can at least keep a secret, this isn’t exactly public information yet.”

“Of course, i’ll even keep it a secret from Vee and the others so what’s up?”

“Eva...I’m going to be a father.”

Eva’s eyes widen “Desmond, when I kicked you out I was expecting some baby making to be done. But good lord I was not expecting this so soon. Now of course congratulations and I know you're going to be a great father. So, do you know what gender it is yet or is it too early to tell?”

“We are going to wait till the baby is born. We want it to be a surprise. And Ellie conceived just before you kicked me out, so you are slightly off the mark there.”

“Well damn, and here I thought this happened when I kicked you out. My plans have been foiled. Eva says with a smile “You know it’s surprising that the two of us out of everybody on this base, actually found happiness I thought you and I were going to be soldiers for the rest of our lives.”

“Well speak for yourself...I doubt I would have lived that long if I stayed the way I was.” He noted solemnly. “But I am guessing that things worked out for the better. Let’s just hope that-”

Desmond was interrupted when the door to the medical room opened and Sora walked in, scratching his head. “Hey Desmond, was just coming to…” He looked around and his eyes landed on Eva. “Oh you have got to be kidding me…”

“Hay you that cyborg that ran away from me at the wedding, desmond who is this thing?”

“Eva...that is Sora. I don’t know how you haven’t heard of him, he was-”

“Nooooo! No, no, no...don’t you dare Desmond, I have been avoiding her for a reason!”

Eva get’s a scowl on her face “Is there a reason you been avoiding me android? I don’t even know what your are.”

“And for good reason!” He told her sternly.

“Sora...you can’t be scare of her forever, you can tell her. I don’t even know if she would care anymore.”

“Care about what, Desmond what is this thing and why is it scared of me?”

Desmond sighed, looking at Sora. “He is the A.I. that was created by Viktor Dorian to replace Avanix Eva.”

“Yeah, and any affiliation with him I heard ticks you off and I would rather not face Ava in spare parts…” Sora lowered his voice. “Our relationship was just getting good…” He muttered to himself with a coy smile.

Eva looks at Sora “Look, even though I despise Viktore for a number of reasons. But there’s no reason for you to fear me because of a dead man, and as long as you did not help Viktor kill Lusett then i’m fine EXALT can be fixed easily. So as long as you're done with Viktor and this is not a front then were fine.”

“Well I am no saint, but at least you didn’t shoot on sight.”

“I could have I nearly did that to Ava wen we first met, but I don’t care about that scumbag it’s not worth getting angry over a dead man.”

“Good...good…” He nodded in relief. “But I do have a question...how...protective are you of Avanix?” Sora asked cautiously.

“Well she and I worked with Lusett for a long time, so we do have a parcel friendship. Why do you ask?”

“Oh...well...because…” Sora dragged on, not really wanting to answer to her now. “Promise you will keep your cool?”

“Yea I can’t do that, depending on what it is.”

“Oh, that is reassuring…” The android scratched the back of his head and crossed his arms. “Because me and her are dating.”

“That’s it? You were that worried that I would get angry about you two dating.” Eva laughs hysterically “Your a fucking fool if you think i’m going to get angry over that, come on i’m getting married myself and I dated tons of people i’m not going to get mad over two AI”s dating,”

“Huh...your reputation precedes you if you haven’t lost it. Here I was thinking you would have fangs bared and ready to pounce. Guess I got worked up over nothing then. Though while I am being honest, we aren’t...just dating.”

Desmond’s face dropped. “Wait...is that even possible between you guys?”

“What can I say? The engineers are good at what they do.” He said with a shrug.

“I Don't even want to know how that’s possible, I’m gonna need a drink after hearing this.”

“Why? Nothing that scarring.” Sora smiled and walked up to Eva, slapping her shoulder. “Come on, why don’t we go hang out? I think we have some catching up to do.”

“Indeed I would enjoy a day off, Desmond you take care and for the love of god don’t try to escape.”

“No promises!” He called out as the two left, smirking to himself and settling back into his bed.

Sora walked in silence as they left the hospital but he quickly glanced at Eva. “So, ask away. I am sure you have to be curious about something.”

“I’m more worried about surviving the final mission and my life afterwards then anything else, like where i’m going to live after this and where to get married and also if I’ll have kids or not.”

“You’ll be fine. If you worry about it, you just put yourself at more risk. As for afterwards...up to you and your future husband. I won’t give you advice for it.” Sora smirked. “Though...I wouldn’t mind living somewhere nice. Though I am sure Ava will be staying with the girls so I will most likely follow wherever she or they go. Oh, I’m in for it now, and I am in for the long haul.”

“Yea the only guy around plenty of girls, some would call that heaven. But in your case that’s going to be the closes thing to a living hell you're going to get.”

“Let’s see...let me run down the list here. Elene...taken. Vee...taken; and not sure by who though...her romance life confuses me but basically everything about that walking hurricane of flamboyancy confuses me. Lily...well, she is actually the only one of them I can stand and Emma...well...she is Emma. I don’t really hang out with her. And I love Ava so I would say I’m in paradise baby.”

“Hum well, we shall see when you surrounded women in their underwear and such.But I won’t be living with them after this so I wish you luck with them, and if there giving you trouble or they are in trouble just call me OK.”

“Sorry, but if I saw any of them in their underwear I doubt I would be anything more than a circuit board once they got done with me. Besides, my girl is the only one I have an eye for.” Besides, Avanix is the cutest out of all of them, but no one needs to know that.

“Hum well then shall we go to the bar?” Eva says with a smile.

Sora rolled his eyes. “I have the strangest feeling I am going to regret getting you drunk.”

“Yes yes you will.”