RP XCOM: The Story of Defiance.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Part 2

“It’s… Fine…” Ammelia exhaled heavily, “However, insulting me is one thing, don’t think I’ll let you just insult my family.

Minato just nodded slowly, trying his best to deal with Saka’s hand as delicately as possible. “Now you see why I don’t like going out.”

“I don’t think it’s other people that are the problem, if you act like this everywhere you go I’m not surprised why people don’t want to be around you.” Ammelia responded, calming herself down a little, “What’s even more surprising to me is that fact that you’re suppose to be this highly trained warrior, yet you go around bragging and talking down to people. You of all people should know not to underestimate your opponents.”

“Our opponents are usually not left alive to be underestimated. When you live a certain way in isolation all you life that way of life tends to dictate who you are so as far as I am concerned, you are all different from me. You are all lower rate. That is just the way we were taught; we learn to kill, not to say hello to the person next to us.”

“Then maybe you should learn the right way to treat people.” The sniper spoke, “Because you’re making your entire clan look bad by acting like that.”

“So what am I supposed to do, huh? Walk to a complete stranger and say, ‘Hi my name is Minato, I am apart of a top secret ninja clan that you have never heard of before, be sure to tell all your friends!’” He shrugged his shoulders and looked at Ammelia with a questioning look. “We aren’t meant to be out in the public eye. We are supposed to be isolated, we have lived hundreds of years like that. You can’t change something like that.” Rubbing his head, Minato shook his head and grabbed a beer, downing it all at once.

“You could try just being nice, I don’t expect you to greet complete strangers like they’re your best friends, but simply being kind would garner you and the rest of your clan a lot more respect.” Ammelia explained.

“Sure, and just try to convince people that sharks don’t eat people and birds don’t fly.” Minato looked back down at Saka’s hand and after he wiped it with some alcohol, the wounds were not as bad as he had thought and he carefully wrapped it with some gauze someone had gone to grab for her. “There. Your hand should be fine now.”

Saka smiled lightly and rubbed it. “Thanks…”

“Just because you kill people doesn’t mean you can’t be friendly, even sharks only kill people because of misunderstandings. I’m sure you’re friend has killed her fair share of people, but she’s still kind.” Ammy replied.

“Um...actually, I haven’t killed anyone…” Saka stated, looking down at her bare feet. “I never went out on a mission before. I’ve just talked all high and mighty so people didn’t think we were obsolete compared to the psions and gene-soldiers.”

“Well, I didn’t have any experience when I first joined, and look at me now. I’m one of the highest ranked snipers on the base. With enough time and practice, you could do anything.” Ammelia replied optimistically.

“I have confidence in myself, it is just others who don’t.” The female shinobi said with a slight sigh.

“We live in two different worlds Ammelia. There is not a lot you can do to change that fact. I could try and try till I am dead and in the ground but at the end of the day, nothing changes. I appreciate what you are trying to say but…” Minato looked at the sniper and rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t want you to be disappointed when you see all your words were for nothing.”

“Then at least stop treating Saka so bad just because she hasn’t been out on any missions. Just because she’s not as experienced as you doesn’t make her any less than you.” Ammy explained as she looked down at her food, having barely eaten any of it.

“A-Ammelia...it’s fine really, I don’t think-”

“It is my job to protect her for a reason. I don’t hang around with her because I particularly like it, it is because I was tasked with keeping her out of harms way.”

“You can’t just babysit her forever you know, you have to let her live her own life. Did you ever even ask her if she wanted you to watch her constantly?” The sniper asked, finally putting the strawberry on the end of her fork into her mouth.

“There wasn’t a choice in the matter! I was assigned to the task whether she liked it or not and it isn’t like she is complaining whenever I am around.” Minato argued.

“Then who ordered you to watch her?” Ammelia asked.

“U-Uh...I did…” Saka said in a small voice that was almost barely audible. “I told him to...years ago.”

“What? Why?” She asked, a look of confusion growing on her face.

“B-Because he was the only one who would. As you can imagine...being a female shinobi is...not really a common occurrence. I was the only one to join in years, the only other being one of the clan leaders. I was worked harder than all the others, but I still got picked on. After I had to be sent back after Desmond’s clan got wiped out, things got worse for me than before. Minato was the only one to stand up for me, and he promised me that he would protect me...no matter what happened.”

“Then… Why does he act like he doesn’t want to be around you?”

Saka smiled a bit and she rubbed the back of her head. “Oh that...he is just a little rough on the outside. I do annoy him a lot, pushing him out of his comfort zone but deep down he really isn’t a bad guy.” She said, looking at Minato a little embarrassed.

“So he does love you! You guys just don’t get along sometimes, like brother and sister.” Ammelia smiled, looking over at Minato.

“Love is a very strong word, tolerate is more I would use.” He stated, a bit grumpy.

“A-And it isn’t like I have feelings for him or anything!” Saka exclaimed waving her hands out in front of her. “I-I would never…I mean, if...no that doesn’t sound right...oh, you know what I mean!”

Ammelia giggled a little, “I didn’t mean it like that!”

Saka sighed, rubbing her forehead of a little bit of sweat. “Of course that is what you meant…”

“I meant sibling love, not relationship love!” Ammelia said.

“Well all you said was love!” Saka complained, covering her face in embarrassment.

“Honestly, I don’t know which is worst, thinking Saka actually loves me or having to think me and her are related.” The warrior thought out loud.

“Oh, you know you love me…” Saka turned around and made her eyes big. “Onii-chan!”

Minato backed up a bit, nearly falling out of his seat and he pushed Saka’s face away, rubbing his eyes and grabbing another beer. “I hate my life…”

Saka busted out laughing, nearly falling over herself but landing on Ammelia instead.

Ammelia happily laughed with her, before looking over at Minato, “It’s not that bad!”

“You honestly have no idea what you have done…” Minato complained.

“Oh...don’t be like that Min…” Saka jumped forward and wrapped her arms around the warrior. “You know I wuv you onii-chan!”

Minato tried to push her away again but she persisted and he just shot an angry and annoyed look at Ammelia.

“Should I go get the car jack?” Ammy asked, laughing a little to herself.

“Are you crazy? You are going to need a lot more than a car jack…” He finally shoved her off and had to jump out of the way as she launched herself at Minato again, Saka landing face first on the floor. This time, Minato was the one to chuckle. “Too slow.”

“You ok, Saka?” Ammy asked, holding back another chuckle.

“Owy…” Saka said, still face first on the ground.

Minato grinned and shook his head taking another drink. “I think she is going to be fine.”

BMPixy

“THOUGH WE MUST SNEAK ACROSS THIS BASE EARTH”
Somewhere in Denbighshire
Wales, United Kingdom
November 12nd, 2018
1859 Local Time

The sun slowly set across the Welsh countryside, painting the sky a breathtaking array of colors. In the distant east the first stars could be seen peeking over the horizon, following the path the moon had blazed a few hours earlier. However, this beautiful sight was lost upon the five people standing on the sidewalk, scanning the warehouse across the street from them, a plain and simple building bearing no logos. One of the figures ruffled through the pockets of their heavy overcoat, before muttering a curse.

“Damn, got no food,” Rampel muttered, leaning back against the wall. She turned her head to one of her compatriots, and asked, “Hey, Kaf, got anything?”

“Yeah, got something,” Kafziel replied, running his hands through the pockets of his own trenchcoat, before producing a stick of butter and tossing it over to Rampel.

“Got anything besides butter?” Rampel shot a questioning look at Kafziel as she examined the dairy product.

The man shook his head. “Nah. You should know best Ramp, need to keep a lot of calories in our system. Would have liked some of those nutrient packs back on base, but butter’s a good enough source of calories, with some vitamin pills to supplement what it doesn’t provide.”

The brunette snorted, and said, “Damn ten thousand calorie a day requirements. You’d think Father would modify us to make more efficient use of our food, not less so.”

“Mother only intended us as prototypes,” Gradhiel butted in, “I’m sure the next gens will lack such problems.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Rampel replied dismissively, and unwrapped the stick of butter and began munching on it. A silent moment passed over the group as they stared at the warehouse, only the sound of Rampel’s chewing disturbing the quiet. Signalling the moment’s end, a sixth figure slid out of an alleyway and joined the group, the new arrival being a Latino man.

“Look who’s finally showed up,” Jophiel remarked. “About time, was wondering if you’d gone off to join the Lambs.”

Germael shook his head slightly, and responded, “No, I’m still very much a Shepherd, just had to grab a last few things from our buddies.”

“Oh, what sort of gifts do you bring us, fearless leader?” the redheaded psion snarked, if only out of habit. Rather than explain what it was, Germael merely opened up his coat, and motioned towards the half dozen devices hanging from the interior.

Rehael let out a short whistle at the sight. “We’re authorized to use homefield tech? ‘Bout time I’d say,” the African said admiringly.

“Yeah, guess Mother deemed us enough of a success in making Rams out of Lambs to warrant further investment,” Germael replied nonchalantly, handing out the small collection of devices to the group.

“No weapons?” Rampel asked, hooking the device onto the inside of her own coat.

“Nah, don’t want any direct links between us and our benefactors,” the Latino said. “Hell, Mother even went so far as to manufacture these with local techniques on top of the dead man’s switches.”

“You’d almost think Father doesn’t love us,” Rehael joked, prompting a short chuckle from the group.

“So what’s the RoE, Germ?” Gradhiel asked.

“Psi only, minimal fighting,” Germael replied. “Want to keep it as clean as possible. We’ll be trying to turn a few of these Sheep into Rams, if possible. I’ll be taking Kaf, Joph, and Hael in, Ramp and Grad are our distraction in case things go pear-shaped. Nothing should, but just stay wary.”

“Damn, was hoping for a chance to cut loose,” Rampel muttered, flipping out her lighter and beginning to play with the small incendiary. “Been too cooped up as of late, y’know?”

“Have we ever really had a chance to go all out?” Gradhiel added, raising his eyebrow. “I mean, most of our work has been stealthy stuff, and our powers aren’t really cut out for that kinda stuff.”

Kafziel replied, shrugging, “Well, I see that as a good thing. If you two had to cut loose, then that means that we could say goodbye to stealth and most likely our cover as well, thus likely ending our mission in failure.”

“Right, enough chatter,” Germael interrupted. “You guys know our target, let’s head out.”

“Got it, boss,” Jophiel said. With a hand wave from the lead infiltrator, the four stealth elements broke off from the group, and sauntered their way across the street, the late evening and isolation of the village ensuring that the crossing was safe.

The four psions slid their way around the side of the warehouse, scanning for an entrance. After a moment of searching, they found a small door labeled ‘Manager’ embedded in a small extension of the warehouse.

“Huh, electronic lock,” Jophiel muttered, bending down to examine the device.

“Gonna be able to get through?” Germael asked.

“‘course,” the yellow psion replied. “Didn’t have this thing bonded to me for no reason.” She laid her right hand upon the lock, and a metallic gray lump slid down her sleeve, enveloped her hand, and then connected with the lock. A scant moment later, the lock flashed green, and the lump returned up Jophiel’s sleeve.

Kafziel moved to open the door, but a quick hand from Germael stopped the other infiltrator before he could do so. After quickly shaking his head at Kafziel, the Latino placed his hand upon his temple, a light blue glow enveloping the appendage. Shortly afterwards, Germaell lowered his hand, and motioned for the door, which Kafziel gladly opened.

The door revealed a small office, the only source of illumination being the light filtering through a window with the blinds drawn as well as the open door. Quickly the four shuffled inside the office, sealing the exit behind him. Rehael flipped on the lights, prompting an aging fluorescent bulb to flicker on, casting a sterile white glow on the room.

“So, what next?” Rehael asked.

“Me and Joph head in to meet our buddies. You and Kaf slip in under the cover of the devices and start working on dealing with any uninvited guests,” Germael replied. “Gonna run a scan of the building first, see how many we’re dealing with.” Once again, the blue psion raised his hand to his temple, and detached his senses to examine the building. A silent minute passed among the group before the team leader returned to his normal point of view.

“Contact in center of warehouse, two bodyguards in plain view, carrying suppressed ballistic assault weapons and no armor. Six more in hiding, similar loadouts. Three on catwalks, two behind a shipping crate northwest of the contact, one in a cardboard box directly behind where we would be expected to stand,” Germael explained.

“Huh, almost would be clever if we were anybody else,” Kafziel remarked. “Who do you want us to bag first?”

“Grab the catwalkers first, then the crate, and then deal with the ones in the center,” the Latino man replied. “For now, let’s get ready. Exiting on my mark.”

With a nod, Kafziel and Rehael reached into their coat and pocket respectively, and flicked on their devices, the two psions vanishing from sight. Germael initiated a 3-count with his fingers, and once all his fingers were down, he opened the other door in the office, and strode out into the warehouse, Jophiel at his heels.

Greeting them was a broad man, with pale skin and a thick beard. A thick overcoat draped over his shoulders and hung near the floor as the man leaned back in his chair, his feet propped up on a military-looking crate. The two bodyguards to his side had their faces covered with ski masks, their weapons exposed as they stared down the two new entrants.

“Ah, friends, you are finally here!” the man said in an obviously fake Russian accent. He lowered his feet off the crate and stood, extending his arms in welcome. “Good to see you, good to see you.”

“I assume you are Sundowner, then?” Germael asked, taking up a standing position on the other side of the crate from the man. Jophiel stood slightly off to the side, just enough that the cardboard box was in his peripheral vision.

“Nyet, nyet,” the faux-Russian replied. “Boss could not show. Am Monsoon.”

The Latino man leaned back slightly and crossed his arms. “I was assured that we would be speaking with Sundowner on these negotiations.”

Monsoon shrugged slightly. “Would have, but business came up. More important than small arms deal. Apologies, comrade.”

“Ah, well, some things can’t be helped, I suppose,” Germael replied. “As I’m sure you’re aware of, I am Germael, and my companion is Jophiel.”

“Interesting names,” Monsoon remarked. “But, suppose have my own as well. Now, not here to chit-chat, eh friend? Suppose now is time for business.” Reaching down, the faux-Russian flipped open the top of the crate, revealing a small stack of arms.

Picking up one of the rifles, Monsoon said, “Here we have the Heckler & Koch G11, personal defense weapon variant. Assault rifle, uses a specialized 4.73x25mm caseless ammunition in a fifty-round magazine. Uses both burst fire and full-auto firing modes, effective firing range of 400 meters and a muzzle velocity of 930 meters per second. Originally slated for production for the German Bundeswehr, was cancelled last minute.”

BMPixy

“Seems like it’d be a rare gun,” Germael commented. “Where’d you get them?”

“Four Winds Arms trade secret, comrade,” Monsoon replied noncommittally. On the catwalk above, Germael spotted the three faint silhouettes of the guards collapse to the floor. A moment later, they rose again.

“Well, I’m certain you won’t mind if my friend here examines the weapon, correct?” Germael asked, motioning at Jophiel.

“Eh, don’t see why not.” Monsoon shrugged slightly, closed the crate, and set the G11 he was holding on top of the crate. Jophiel nodded, and stepped over to the crate, pulling on some latex gloves as she did so. Picking up the weapon, she examined it, running through the motions of examining the magazine feeding, trigger mechanism, and all the other little parts. However, Germael noted that her eyes were intensely focused for such simple tasks, signifying that she was using the Silicid bonded to her body for a more thorough examination.

After a few minutes of this, Jophiel set down the weapon, and said, “Seems your little toy might have some heat issues, due to the lack of a casing to contain and remove heat. How’d you deal with that?”

“Keen eye your friend has,” Monsoon remarked. “Took H&K a good little while to find out that issue. As for how we dealt with it, well, we happened to acquire some thirdhand alien alloys, and lined the barrels with them. Whatever those xeno bastards use, it’s more resistant to heat than anything I’ve ever seen.”

“So how much are we looking at here?” Germael asked.

“Five kilos of gold,” the faux-Russian replied.

“For the requested amount of weapons?”

“Per unit." Monsoon gave a savage smirk at the price, and continued, “Value includes five hundred rounds of ammunition, maintenance kit, and replacement barrel. Good deal, da?”

Germael placed his hand under his chin in thought, contemplating the offer. His enhanced eyes noted the slight aerial distortions caused by the stealth devices moving behind the two guards at Monsoon’s side, a faint green glow enveloping each of their skulls in turn before quickly fading. After a moment, the Latino replied, “And what if we don’t decide to pay for these weapons?”

Monsoon barked in laughter. “Oh, please, you make funny joke, friend!” he said. Upon noting Germael’s expression, he laughed again. “You’re serious? Then you make big mistake. Sic ‘em, boys.”

The two bodyguards at Monsoon’s side lowered their weapons, pointed at the two infiltrators, while a small handful of laser sights rested on the pair as well. Behind them, a man burst out of a cardboard box, a rifle slung under each shoulder.

Germael’s expression did not change at this sudden turn of events. Rather, he said, “I have three useful pieces of information for you. One: we never intended on buying these weapons. Two: In the battle between performing your duty and doing what’s right, duty prevails.” The two bodyguards at Monsoon’s side raised their hands to their hand, and the laser pointers flickered, indicating that something was occurring to mess with other soldier’s aim.

“And what is third piece of information?” Monsoon asked, slightly unnerved by how calm Germael was.

The Latino man chuckled slightly. “Your men are on my side now. Sic ‘em, boys.” With that order, the laser pointers flipped onto Monsoon, the two guards at his side aimed at the faux-Russian, and the man behind the two infiltrators stepped around and aimed his pair of weapons at him.

“W-what the hell!?” Monsoon stuttered, stepping back slightly. “Giorno? Joseph? Josuke? Y-you were all loyal!”

“A fourth useful piece of information for you, Monsoon,” Germael replied. “Anything can change, with the right application of the correct kind of force. And, well, I just happened to have that correct sort of force. Kaf, Hael, if you would?” At the order, Kafziel and Rehael decloaked, standing to the left of Germael and Jophiel.

“W-who are you people?” Monsoon blabbered, his shock growing more and more apparent.

“We are the Shepherds that guide the lost Lambs such as yourself along the Path to great glory. We are those who protect the Lambs from Wolves when the Rams can no longer do so,” Germael boasted, his vicious grin growing. “Find yourself lucky that you were not counted as a Wolf, but rather as one with the potential to become a Ram and help protect your fellow Lambs.” With that, Monsoon sank to the ground, his mind viciously working to come to grips with the sudden change in the situation.

“I think you broke him,” Reheal remarked nonchalantly. “Should I reprogram him?”

Gradhiel nodded. “Yeah, get to work. Joph, Kaf, grab the crate, time for us to blow this jo-”

Uh, boss, we got a problem, Gradhiel interrupted, projecting a psionic message to the other infiltrators.

What kind of problem is it, Grad? Germael replied.

Female civvie started asking questions. Got suspicious. Asked a few too many questions. Panicked, I knocked her out.

Right. Bring her in the warehouse, it’s secure. We’ll figure out what to do with her then.

Got it, boss.

“Well, seems we’ve got another unexpected guest,” Germael pondered out loud. “Rehael, you done with the reprogramming?”

“Yeah, he was surprisingly pliant,” the green psion replied. “Ready to give the order?”

“Indeed. Duty prevails,” Germael said. Monsoon put a hand to his forehead, clenching it in pain. “Right, Monsoon, we’ve got a special little assignment for you and your buddies here. We want you to take this-” Germael produced a small tracking device from his pocket, and handed it to the faux-Russian. “-and put it in Sundowner’s base. From there, we’ll take care of the rest. Can you handle that?”

“Yessir,” Monsoon replied with a nod, placing the device in his pocket.

“Excellent,” the Latino said cheerfully. “In that case, leave and rejoice in service.” With the order, the group of arms dealers turned and made their way out of the warehouse. As if on cue, Gradhiel and Rampel entered the clearing in the center of warehouse, an unconscious blonde woman being carried between the two.

“So, this is our overly curious friend, hmm?” Germael wondered aloud, making his way over to the pair.

“Yeah. Some of the questions she was asking were particularly… poignant,” Gradhiel replied. “Might be worth checking to see if she’s Ram material.”

“Very well then, not like we’re doing anything better today.” Germael shrugged, and placed his right arm upon the woman forehead, channeling his psionic energy as he probed into her mind. Minutes passed, and as they did, Germael’s grin grew. Finally, he removed his hand from her head, and said, “Oh, how blessed this Path we follow is. This woman just so happens to be Jane Foulke, the wife of one of XCOM's soldiers.”

“Really!?” Rampel exclaimed. “Damn, we certainly are lucky!”

“Indeed we are,” Germael replied. “Rehael, get over here, reprogram and wipe her. We’ve got the perfect Ram to use against the Wolves.”

"Very well," Rehael said, stepping over to the unconscious Jane. Channeling her powers, the green psion launched a burst of green energy into Jane's skull. Several moments passed, strain visibly growing on Rehael's face as a few beads of sweat grew upon her brow. Finally, she broke off the tendril of energy and let out a sigh.

"Tough one," Rehael commented, rubbing her forehead. "Strong will, not to mention how much I've had to strain myself today."

"Well, it's important that we got the job done," Germael replied. "Anyways, put her somewhere, and let's get moving. We've got proper weapons, my brothers and sisters."

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Taking the Fight to the Enemy

XCOM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
November 12th, 2018
2235 Hours

The two days since the big incident were busy for the Elites to say the least. Only part one of Chief’s plans were done when Eve and Fox reunited, now came the hard part of removing the stain from Eve’s reputation. The leader thought it a miscarriage of justice if things were allowed to continue the way they were and although news of them getting back together was spreading slowly, the rumors that Eve was still open and willing were main talk amongst the men, the fact she had been sleeping around going around with the women. It wasn’t an easy task battling propaganda made by a sleazebag and his assistant down in engineering but Chief had something neither of them didn’t, and that was status.

While Fox reconciled with Eve when he could, Chief devised a plan of attack. Hawke, using his connections in the bar scene was spreading his own rumors about Eve and Fox, except these one much more positive and how well their relationship was actually doing very well. Bull was down in the gym telling all the muscle men he could that Eve was off the market and any advances made toward her would be rewarded with whatever Bull had thought messed up enough to say, Chief gave him full reign.

As for Chief, he made sure that people saw what was happening and even enlisting a few people to his cause. He approached Desmond and his wife to see if they could pull some strings and they both agreed, wanting to help however they could for one of their closer friends. Chief considered having a talk with Aya about her sister’s actions, not sure how the Commander’s second in command was still dealing with the betrayal but he made sure news spread to her real quick.

After a long days work, the three Elites returned to their room and each individually went to their beds, laying down in exhaustion and sighing collectively. “You know...I thought this would be a lot easier than this. The amount of men with their balls where their brains should be occupy this base, I am telling you, is ridiculous.” Hawke complained, taking a book out from under his pillow and opening the little book with red hardcover and gold lettering etched on the spine.

“This is for our brother Hawke, you know that.” Chief said, reading a book of his own.

Bull was just snoring on his bed, out before his head even touched the pillow.

Hawke looked in his brother’s direction and he chuckled. “He is the biggest out of all of us and yet he is the one with the least amount of energy.”

Chief chuckled with his brother. “Go easy on him, he does need to work the hardest after all.”

“Yeah, try telling that to my aching back.” The sniper stated, feeling something was missing and looked around the room. “Where is the little one? He still with Eve?”

Chief glanced at the clock and he shook his head. “He shouldn’t be but who knows, maybe he decided to spend the night with her.”

“Yeah...maybe…” Hawke sighed and tried to get back into his book but something was rubbing him the wrong way and he put his book back under his pillow, climbing off the bed and changing his shirt.

“You planning on going out?” Chief asked, not looking away from his text.

“Yeah, I’m not sleepy so I might go grab a drink to calm my nerves.”

“Alright, just don’t take too long, we don’t need you passing out in the bar.”

The two exchanged a chuckle and Hawke exited the door and looked down the dark halls and walked to where the bar was.

As Hawke walked by himself, he took the time to think to himself about the last few days and how he himself was handling the whole situation. When he had first learned of what Eve had done, he was devastated. He had such high hopes for the two, thinking that nothing would have been able to drive them apart. That was why he went to Chief for help and why he planed out the elaborate setup to get the two back together. No matter what, he wanted his brother and the sweet girl that fell in love with him to be happy.

There were voices coming from the bar, a strange occurrence seeing as how it was nearly midnight and almost everyone was asleep. He cracked the door open slightly and what he saw made him angry.

There were three large guys standing up where there was a large, open space in the bar and in the circle of the three men, looking at all of them wide eyed was Fox.

“So this is the bitch’s boyfriend, huh? He don’t look like much, I wonder what made a girl like her fall for a wimp like this?” One of them said, crossing his arms and smiling at Fox’s discomfort.

“She really as good as they say pipsqueak, I was thinking about paying the slut a visit later tonight.”

“D-Don’t talk about Eve like that!” Fox said, turning around trying to face all the men at once.

“Aw, I think you made the little guy sad.” The third one said in a baby voice. “Are you going to cry? I wonder what that girlfriend of yours would think if she saw you being such a wuss.”

“S-Shut up!” The scout snapped, looking distressed as he knew he was outmatched.

“Here is a question, does the carpet match the drapes there buddy? Or maybe she likes it all smooth.”

“We could probably find out ourselves, she would probably do us all at the same time! She passes herself around more than a ball.” The three men laughed but Fox had balled his fist.

“D-Don’t…” Fox balled his fist harder and he lashed out at one of the men. “Don’t talk about my Eve like that!”

The guy that Fox went after was caught of guard but Fox was no match against him, his blows doing very little against the big guy. “Ah, isn’t that cute. But didn’t anyone tell you not to hit your betters?” The guy sent a strong right hook into Fox’s gut and the scout fell to the ground, the wind knocked out of him.

Hawke was on the guy faster than he could react, the sniper tackling the guy to the ground and beating down a fist on the guy’s head. “And didn’t anyone tell you to pick on someone your own size!?” Hawke yelled as he continued the beatdown.

His buddies, shocked from how the sniper seemed to come out of nowhere quickly went to their buddies assistance and each of them grabbed and arm as they pulled Hawke of their friend.

“God damn it!” He shouted as the guy pulled himself off the ground and rubbed his jaw, the corner of his mouth bleeding. “You’ll pay for that one!”

“Hey George, isn’t this one of the brothers Sam mentioned?” One of George’s buddies asked.

“Yeah, I think you are right.” George rubbed his mouth and smiled at Hawke. “Well looky here, some tough guy. Well we don’t like tough guys.” He sent a strong punch into Hawke’s jaw and the sniper had to spit out a bit of blood on the floor.

“That the best you got pretty boy?” Hawke taunted, grinning to himself to buy time Fox time for escape.

“Oh, you think that is funny?” George sent another right hook into Hawke’s jaw and a right hook into his gut.

“Yeah...laughing up a storm.” Hawke said weakly. “I didn’t know a woman like you knew how to throw a punch.”

George growled and raised his fist again but he yelled out in pain as glass shattered over his head and he fell to the ground with blood coming from his head and he thrashed around in pain. Fox stood behind George holding a broken bottle, holding up the broken bottle in the direction of the two lackeys. “Let go of my brother!”

They did as Fox said, dropping Hawke to the ground and running to pick up George and drag him away. “And you ever talk about Eve like that, or even think about her again and I will bury you out in the tundra!”

They nodded fast and helped their friends up as they rushed to the door, the broken piece of bottle shattering against the wall next to the door, making the three leave even faster.

Fox knelt down next to his brother and handed him a napkin he nabbed off one of the tables and he handed it to his brother. “You alright?”

“I should be asking you that buddy.” Hawke said, wiping his mouth.

“I am fine...but did you see me? I stood up to them, just like you always wanted me to!” The scout stated excitedly.

Hawke couldn’t help but smile, placing a hand on his brother’s head. “Yes you did. Just promise me you won’t go looking for trouble for now on.”

Fox nodded his head. “They disrespected Eve, so I had to teach them a lesson.”

The sniper nodded, getting up and slapping his brother on the back. “The things you do for love Fox…”

BMPixy

MarineAvenger and BMPixy
“Two Sides of the Same Coin”
Primary Shooting Range
November 12, 2018
1314 Local Time

Gently adjusting her rifle according to her target’s location, Fay lined up her shot on the simulated target. Steadying herself, she inhaled gently, and then fired. A bolt of plasma leapt from the end of the sniper rifle, and struck down the target, a circle roughly the size of a dinner plate on the far end of the range. Fay leaned up from her scope as the target faded, indicating that she was finished with her set. She laid the rifle down on the table she was braced upon and stretched, having moved very little over the past hours.

The entrance of the shooting range opened and in stepped a regular looking Asian man, wearing an intricately designed white jacket and black jeans, looking around at the surprisingly low number of occupants for the time of day it was. His eyes locked on Fay for a single moment before he moved on and walked to the weapon rack, pulling off a Heavy Plasma Rifle and taking his spot two down from where the sniper was, activating a training program and looked down the holographic sights as his first target appeared.

As it popped to life, a large target was his first, the man shooting the Heavy Rifle once, the shot precise and striking the target’s head. Next a slightly smaller target appeared and he took his time to make a quick adjustment and got the same result as the first. One after another, the man put down target after target until the simulation was over and he lowered the rifle, satisfied with his results.

“Impressive,” Fay said, as she typed in the parameters for her next training set. “Excellent reaction speed, solid form, precise aim. Not one of the regulars here, correct?”

“No, I am not.” Reloading in another power pack, the man looked at Fay. “I am guessing you aren’t either. You fared much better than the average person I see in here.”

“Have to,” Fay replied. “Necessary part of job. Shall not be found wanting.” As if to punctuate her remark, she fired off a bolt of plasma, taking out the first of her targets.

“Hm, you also don’t act like the others. Most would gloat with your skills, it is a nice change of character for once.” He raised his rifle again as his own set began and once more, he was on point, even though the heavy weight of the rifle and the recoil should of had an affect on his shots.

A moment of silence passed as the two dealt with their sets. Upon finishing her set, Fay belatedly replied, “Boasting of skills leads to testing from others. Eventually, tests may grow into an inevitable failure.”

“I feel like if I asked where you learned, a response would be unlikely, though I will settle for a name instead.” The man said, trying hard to stay on target while he talked.

“Henderson, Fay,” the sniper in question replied, loading another power pack into her rifle. “Yours?”

“Minato.” His second set came to an end and he laid the rifle back on a table and wiped his hand. “Minato Origawa.”

“Well met, then.” Fay contemplated reaching over and loading in another set, but decided it best to simply lay the rifle down for the moment. “Assume you must be one of our guests; do not recall your name on the troop roster.”

“You would be assuming correctly. I am one of the main shinobi that came from the Japanese mountain clans.” Minato shifted himself, sitting down in a chair and looking over at Fay. “I assume this is the part where you laugh and call me a liar.”

“Why?” Fay asked, leaning against the table and meeting Minato’s gaze. “Part of secret organization devoted to fighting aliens using my mind powers and advanced tech. Why be shocked at secret shinobi clans?”

“You would be surprised by the number of naysayers, or the number of people who ask stupid questions about what pop culture depicts us as.” The shinobi looked at the range and he sighed. “So Fay Henderson, any stupid questions before we continue?”

Fay rubbed her chin in thought, trying to root any such questions out of her mind. After a moment, she asked, “Why are you here?”

He seemed a little surprised by the answer, not expecting it to be normal. “Because we were called here. A...mutual friend of ours had sway and he managed to get us here to help train troops and fight, the latter we have done none of and the first we have not been doing enough of.”

“I see,” the African-American replied, mulling over the answer. “But that question begs another: why now? Why not arrive at the beginning of the war, when experienced troops are few?”

“It wasn’t our fight,” He simply stated, leaning backwards. “It is now.”

Fay nodded in response, accepting that answer. “So then, might as well ask, what makes a shinobi a shinobi?”

“Do you mean what makes us different from the rest or how to become one?”

“The former,” Fay replied.

“Well, unlike special forces, shinobi focus on all aspects of combat, both physical and psychological. Where we learn hand to hand, we learn how to center ourselves. Where we learn to shoot guns, we learn how to clear our minds during the duress of battle. A soldier is only as good as his gun?” Minato just scoffed and he shook his head. “No, a warrior is only as good as he allows himself to be.”

Fay opened her mouth to respond, but paused, thinking over what to say. After a moment, she said, “That… is not all that unique. View may be biased, but from what I have seen, our training follows such principles as well. From dawn to dusk, physical and psychological training to break down each soldier and reforge them into not merely a person with a gun, but a weapon.”

“That may be so, but we devote our lives to this work, every fiber of being honed into peakness and just when you think you have had enough, there is more to overcome. Perhaps we aren’t that unique, but we give it our damn best.”

“Perhaps, but such lack in the typical soldier’s training could be explained by that eventually most return to civilian life,” Fay analyzed. “If all soldiers were career troopers, our training would be much more alike.”

“I guess that is a way to look at it, yes.” Minato looked at Fay curiously and he sat forward in his chair. “So what makes you different? I must say you are becoming the one person on this base that doesn’t annoy me to no end. It is nice having a civil conversation for once with someone of similar understanding.”

Fay’s expression soured slightly, but she shook her head, returning to her previously neutral expression. “Similar experiences, perhaps. Have been training to become a soldier since early youth, with all that entails,” she said. “Thus, able to connect easier on some instinctual level.”

“You don’t take complementation well it seems. If I said something wrong I apologize, was merely trying to be ‘nice’,” Minato pronounced with air quotes. “That people keep telling me I need to be.”

“No, nothing of your fault. Merely sour memories,” Fay replied. “But, seems you have been practicing what those people have been saying.”

“Not at my own volition, I am not given much choice in the matter.” Mathas nodded his head and looked up at the ceiling. “We all have things best left in the past, this is merely a casual conversation so no need to be spilling life stories right out the gate.”

Fay nodded in agreement. “The past is the home country to an immigrant, as they say. Only to be remembered, never revisited.”

“Quite.” There was little in the way of entertainment to be found in their current location, so Minato got up from his seat and looked at Fay. “It seems neither of us feel like shooting again, shall we go for a walk just for a change of scenery, however small a change it is from the usual?”

Fay pushed herself off of the table, and replied, “Very well, lead the way.”

Turning around, the shinobi exited out the way he had come in and slowed his pace to allow Fay to reach his side though Minato only looked forward at where he was going. “So what are you willing to tell me. It seems as though we should at least know the basic so conversation doesn’t roll on and become boring.”

Fay thought for a moment, before responding, “Father was rather… insistent that I follow his path and join the Marines. Did so, became a Scout-Sniper, taking time to get a degree in mathematics. Deployed to Afghanistan for a short while, returned to America once the invasion began, eventually joined up with XCOM. What about yourself?”

“Lived in the mountains of Japan since I was born, trained my entire life until I finally left and was brought here. Not much more than that.”

“Simple life,” the sniper remarked. “But is the man who has it simple? A question to be pondered and answered.”

“Allow me to answer your question with another question, is anything in life really simple?” Minato smirked as he glanced at Fay and looked forward again.

“Yes,” Fay replied simply. “Call them pleasures. The sound of a round travelling down range, the feel of a weapon bucking against the shoulder, the satisfaction in seeing your work done; all fall in that category.”

“Yes, that may be true but the work of getting to those things is not so simple.” Minato was silent for a few moments, rubbing the back of his sore neck.

“Maybe.” Fay shrugged noncommittally, and continued, “But it is the end result of an action that matters most, thus defining the action forever.”

“I beg to differ, the journey to your goal is just as meaningful as the result. The kiss of a loved one is much more sweeter when steps have been taken to earn you that kiss, instead of one that is given out freely.”

“However, it is the kiss that is remembered most fondly, rather than what actions were taken to receive it.”

“To each their own.”He simply stated. “So how about it, any person in your life whose kisses you remember fondly?” He asked, halfway between serious and joking.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Part Two

Fay’s steps paused and her breath hitched slightly. Taking a brief moment to recompose herself, she replied, “One. But they are long gone. What of yourself?”

“None, at least none that I care to remember.” Minato said coldly, worried he had brought the conversation into unwanted territory.

Fay nodded somberly as she mentally pushed away half-remembered memories. Taking a chance to steer the conversation somewhere else, she asked, “And what of your fellow shinobi? Any particular members I should be aware of?”

“Not really, though if you see a blonde girl wearing a white silk dress and no shoes, it’d be best to walk in the other direction.”

“She trouble?” the sniper asked.

“Weird is all, she can be a...well, a goofball.” Minato responded.

“Very well, shall keep that in mind should that occur,” Fay said.

Minato stopped and he looked at Fay, putting his hands in his jacket pockets. “You seem distracted. Anything on your mind?”

Fay shook her head slightly. “No, merely returning things to where they lie. Nothing to be concerned over.”

“You probably hear this a lot but if you need to talk, just do it. If I was going to judge you, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.” Minato began to walk again, hoping that Fay would follow.

Fay followed, staying a single step behind Minato and just off to his right. “Perhaps that is true, but some things best remain where they were buried,” she replied.

Minato was silent, not wanting to push Fay away too much, she was the first real person he could relate to on base, and he wouldn’t just throw that away. “You are a very interesting woman Ms. Henderson.”

“That has been said numerous times of me,” Fay responded, “though usually in the Chinese sense of interesting. But, I’ll believe otherwise, and extend the same observation to you.”

“I merely mean that in the best way, I assure you. You are a thinker, and you are calculating. Most women like that have to fake it or are just too plain dumb to be like it, but with you...you are different. You are the exception; natural I would say.”

“Most women are neither a Marine nor do they have a degree in advanced mathematics,” Fay replied simply. “Though that should not be a mark against them, of course. Each adapts to their circumstances, mine guided me to develop such traits.”

“Another quality to praise about you.” He responded nonchalantly.

“Rather thick with the compliments, no?” Fay observed.

“There is much to compliment, so why not?” Minato happened a glance at Fay and gave a slight smile, turning his head forward again.

Fay scratched her neck uncertainly, feeling slightly uncomfortable with the situation. “Perhaps, but if the focus of the conversation is compliments, then it grows dull quickly.”

“Then I shall allow you to take charge then.”

“Very well.” Fay took a moment to think of something to speak of, before saying, “So, your opinions of our organization?”

“Nothing really all that special about it. The tech is cool and all but it just isn’t really...my thing I guess.”

“Rather have this war fought as blades drawn under the gentle rain of cherry blossoms upon a bridge?” The sniper asked satirically.

“Now you are just going cliche on me. Most of the time the temperature is in the low teens in the mountains, no cherry blossoms growing there.”

“A shame, heard they are quite beautiful,” Fay remarked. “And what of the other advancements XCOM has made? For instance, the unlocking of human psionics, among others.”

“I have no interest really. Our job is to get strong using our own means. Modding yourself or gaining the power over psionics have their uses but I prefer a more conservative route myself, I take more pride in my victories that way.”

“Perhaps, but in the coming years there may be more who seek to attain such powers, leaving those without such enhancements as obsolete on the field of battle. Recall what happened to the bow once the gun was introduced.”

“Yes, and look how the bow had undergone redesigns to fit the needs of the present. That is what we have done for hundreds of years, it is what we will continue to do for hundreds more.”

“Then do as you feel you must,” Fay replied, “But times are changing rapidly, faster than even the dawn of the information era. The survival of your purpose is what matters most, even if it involves changing methods.”

“We will adapt. We always have.” He simply stated. Minato for the first time ever, tried to think of something to say but nothing came to mind. “How free are you the rest of the day Ms. Henderson?”

“Had scheduled some psionic training for later in the day, and was to meet with a friend this evening for some cards,” Fay replied. “Until then, free.”

“Would you care to join me for some lunch. I enjoyed this, however you may decline if you choose, I just merely want to spend more time with you while free myself. Nothing I am doing anyways, so why not?”

Fay thought the offer over for a moment, before responding. “Very well then, lead the way.”

Minato grinned a little bit, turning around and leading Fay to go get themselves some food.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and MarineAvenger “Home Sweet Home”

November 14th, 2018
Acedia’s Holding Cell

The newly liberated, yet still somehow captive at the same time, Ethereal slowly scanned the cell around her as she woke. The lights hurt her eyes, as she was not used to not having her mask on. She looked down at her lower left arm, and wondered if she would die from infection, her dangerously low psionic energy, or execution squad first. She shook her head, wondering if she was better off in Invidia’s captivity, but immediately dismissed the thought as ludicrous.

Outside the cell, the door opened and a woman walked in wearing a simple labcoat and green turtle neck, glasses adorning her face as she had a white box with a big red cross on it in her hands. Behind her, a larger man walked in, him only wearing jeans and a plain white t-shirt, though he had a harness on his chest that showed a firearm, as well as one at his waist.

The female approached and she looked over at Acedia. “Are you awake in there? I am here to patch up your wounds.”

Acedia slowly looked up, giving the two a curious stare. You… you are? I… why?

“Well because you need it, of course. We can’t have you just dying on us, besides, we at least owe you that after what you did to help out our friend.” The female said with a smile.

Oh, I… I see. I was assuming, I’d… Acedia shook her head. What is your name, child?

“Well...I am not really a child but my name is Doctor Elizabeth Walker, though Doctor Walker or just Ellie would suffice.” She said cheerfully.

I… apologize, I was… told humans refer to those much… younger… Acedia glanced to the side. Is this your bodyguard?

“Uh...yes. Acedia, this is Desmond Walker, my bodyguard for today.” She flashed a big smile at his and turned her head back to face Acedia.

I see. So… how do you propose healing me when I am locked in the cell? Would you… like to render me unconscious?

“Well...in all honesty I was hoping we wouldn’t have to. This shouldn’t take long and just as long as you behave this will go smoothly. Do we have your word for no funny business?” The doctor asked, her hands on her hips.

Acedia looked between Ellie and Desmond, a bit confused. She finally nodded. You… have my word. I shall behave myself. I… I do not have the energy to resist anyway.

Elizabeth nodded and she walked over to the controls, getting a basic rundown of them before entering the room. It took a bit of time to remember but she finally managed to bring the barriers down and to release the door. Taking her kit, she walked into the cage along with Desmond, who already had his revolver out and ready.

The first thing Elizabeth took a look at was Acedia’s arm, concentrating as she took a bottle of medical alcohol and a cloth and dampened it, bringing it close to the Ethereal’s arm. “Now...I am only going to clean the wound but this is going to hurt a lot so...try to keep still and not lose it, alright?”

I… I appreciate the sentiment, ch… Dr. Walker, but I believe I can take anything you can dish out.
Acedia glanced up at Desmond. Is it… dish out?

“Yes, I believe that would be appropriate here, but even the hardest soldiers cry out when they feel this.” The soldier informed the Ethereal.

“Alright, on the count of three, ready?” The doctor asked. Acedia nodded, giving Ellie a blank stare. The doctor slowly counted, and on three, the Ethereal’s eyes shot open, her entire body writhing in pain. She slumped to the ground, panting heavily, just barely resisting the urge to yank her arm away.

“There, the worst of it is over now.” Ellie cleaned up the rest of the wound lightly, trying her best not to hurt the alien too bad and put the rag down. After rubbing some freshly made ointment into the wound, Ellie began to wrap it up with gauze. “There, with my special ointment on your wound, you should be feeling better and healed in no time.”

I… I do not understand. Other than Am… other than another… a-another Ethereal… why should you care if I live or die? We are enemies, are we not?My people, they… they have done such horrible things to you.

Elizabeth just smiled slightly and continued her work. “Because you need the help. The field of medicine doesn’t play by who is who, it applies to who needs help when they need it. Just because you are an enemy doesn’t mean we should just let you writhe in pain, or worse yet, die on us.”

Acedia returned a weak smile, and looked up at Desmond. I do not believe your brother agrees with you on that, by the look on his face, and his weapon.

Both Ellie and Desmond looked at each other and the doctor snickered to herself. “Acedia...we aren’t siblings, we are married.”

Married? Married… married? He is your… laʒier?

“Uh...maybe? I don’t really know what that word means...so…” Elizabeth looked confused as she moved on to the minor wounds.

In Ethereal society, we have what I believe would best be translated into a ‘domestic partnership’. It is not exactly the same as marriage, but it is the closest thing. She looked up at the serious faced soldier, and reached out, grasping Ellie’s shoulder firmly. Doctor. Does he…

Ellie raised an eyebrow and asked. “Does he what? If you think he means you harm, he doesn’t, the weaponry is merely a formality.”

Does he… treat you right?

Ellie was a little surprised by the question and she smiled, looking to her husband with fond eyes. “I wouldn’t ask for a better person to spend the rest of my life with.”

You… you can think it, and only I would hear it. You can tell me.

Ellie nodded and she closed her eyes. I am serious, there is no one else I would rather be with. He makes me happy to no end, he loves me and I him. I am...even carrying his baby. Just don’t say it outloud, he doesn’t know yet! Ellie gave Acedia a slight wink and was finishing up the rest of the Ethereal’s wounds.

Oh… I… I see. This is great news… right? It has been a while since our females could carry their children to term on their own. You are… happy with the conception?

More than I can put into words. It is a blessing I am grateful for.

Acedia looked up at Desmond and smiled. I… I wish you both the best. As long as you cherish each other. And I promise you, you will not have to worry about me. I will do neither you, nor them, any harm.

Desmond nodded. “That is appreciated Acedia.”

Elizabeth nodded in satisfaction as she overlooked the final parts of Acedia’s checkup, the doctor standing up and stretching her back. “There we go, you are all patched up and looking good. You just need time to heal and you will be back to normal in no time.”

Acedia chuckled, looking down at her bandaged wrist. Well… close to normal. Can you believe they twisted my cloning research? And I was so close to a breakthrough too. All for their damnable Sectoid army. She tilted her head towards Desmond. You… you call them Sectoids, right? With the… the big heads, and the eyes, and the… veins…

“Yes, that is correct. Though I think you would be pleased to hear that we actually have such a Sectoid in captivity, going by the name of Xaver.”

Is that so? I would not think you would keep a captive Sectoid alive so… I mean around so long.

“Things just seemed to happen in such a way. I have never met the alien personally.” Desmond informed her.

I see… Acedia pointed to herself. And what is to be my fate? I… I will not grovel, but if I were to be spared, I am sure you could find some use for me.

“That is not my call to make. Though it will be mentioned in the report that you cooperated with us fine and gave no hint of deception so it will look good for you in the least.”

Thank you. You… have been most kind. I would say kinder than my previous keeper, but I believe that goes without saying. She cautiously extended two hands, one towards Desmond, one towards Ellie.

Elizabeth took it without hesitation, shaking the Ethereals hand lightly so she wasn’t too forceful while Desmond looked at her for a moment. After a small period of silence, Desmond placed the gun back in it’s holster and he shook Acedia’s hand.

Acedia smiled, the expression somewhat unusual, but still pleasant on the Ethereal’s face. I… I believe I might enjoy being your captive.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 & DarkGemini24601: "Those We Leave Behind"

1500 Hours, November 14th, 2018
The Surface

With a sigh, Atka lowered her hand, the thrown rocks clattering to the ground. “So it really is attached to my blood then… not an easy ability to train.” The Inuit woman sighed, knowing that if she did use up some of her blood to test the telekinetic barrier she wouldn’t hear the end of it from Chandra. The scout turned, and started walking for the elevator.

The lift opened, and Marina rushed out, almost plowing into Atka. With a worried look in her eyes, she said, “C-Colonel, have… have you seen Airi anywhere!?”

“Not… recently.” Atka looked Marina over. “What happened?”

“She’s… she wasn’t in her hospital room. I’m not sure where she could be!” Marina gave Atka a pleading look. “I-I thought… with you ESP, you might…”

“I could search any areas you might think she could be… but I can’t sweep the entire base without Eve’s equipment,” Atka replied, a bit of worry tinging her own tone.

“I… I don’t know.” Marina ran her hands through her dark hair, tugging a bit as she did. “She’s not in our room, the bar, or the gym. She… she was saying something about… about Kevin, but she isn’t in his room either. Where else could she be then?”

Atka closed her eyes for a moment, reaching out to the memorial wall with her mind. “Perhaps…” The basic image of the room materialized in her mind, as did the image of a short, blond figure, crouched down before the memorial. “She’s at the memorial,” Atka told Marina, walking into the elevator.

Marina quickly followed after, looking as though she might jump out of her skin during the long ride down. “Of all the stupid… she’s going to get herself killed!”

“I agree that she shouldn’t have run off, but let’s not jump to conclusions,” Atka said gently.

Marina nodded, and remained silent, though her shaking knees were a testament to her nervousness. She quickly followed Atka to the Memorial, and just as Atka had said, Airi was there, sitting before the wall in a small hospital gown. “Airi,” her sister said, but there was no answer, the short blond woman slowly shaking her head.

Atka knelt down next to Airi, though she said nothing at first, just looking at the picture of the assault on the wall along with a few personal effects placed on the table. Airi sighed, wiping her eyes. In a raspy voice, she whispered, “You know, I… I never gave him a chance. We flirted… like, all the time. But even though I lived in America since I was little, my father discouraged me dating anyone who wasn’t Japanese. I… I didn’t even… give him a chance.”

“He didn’t let things like that really get to him. I think he enjoyed the act of trying, at the very least.” Atka looked down for a moment. “And he did say for us to not blame ourselves.”

“I… I-I know but, I…” Airi’s normal cool, sarcastic demeanor broke down, and she desperately covered her eyes to stop the tears. “I don’t understand! He… he was so much more important to this than me! And I was always playing him, teasing him, never letting him in. Why did he do it?!”

“You didn’t do it out of spite… and I’m sure he knew that. I know I’ve long had barriers that have kept me from being with anyone…” Atka explained quietly.

“Please, don’t do this, Airi.” Marina sat on her other side. “Like she said, Kevin told me to tell you not to blame yourself. And you’ve been shot, frayed, drained, and possessed, and Chandra said it’d take at least another two sessions with her to fix what Invidia did to your insides. Please come back to the infirmary.”

Airi shook her head. “I can’t… I… I’m staying here until I… I…” She closed her eyes, not sure herself what she expected to do here, but compelled to stay.

“I wish he could still be here with us too, you know. But we still have a job to do… it won’t be long now before that job will be finished, and then he can rest soundly knowing we finished it for him,” Atka added softly.

Airi looked over to the psionic colonel. “How… how do you deal with it? You were close to so many of your allies. I… I’m torn over one. How are you able to hold it together?”

“I… I can’t say it gets easier… the way Fujioka died… Kris’s fate…” Atka shook her head. “But I’ve come to terms with that. I know I can’t protect everyone, just like I couldn’t save Xifeng. I just go on, waiting for the day in which no one else will have to die like this… and know that day is in sight.”

Airi slowly nodded. “I… do you think… he has any regrets, At… Colonel?”

You can call me by my first name here, you know.
Atka shrugged. “Perhaps… but we all probably would. I know that he died in a way he would have wanted, though… and if he had any regrets, the only one was probably not trying harder with you. I’m certain he didn’t blame you for that.”

“Before he died… all he seemed to care about is how you and Atka felt, and… and making sure Invidia payed for what she did.” Marina smiled at Atka. “I’d like to think the Colonel made sure that last part was taken care of, plus interest.”

“Right. I’m sure he’d be glad that particular fight is over,” Atka agreed.

Airi slowly nodded. “I… thank you, I… I just hope…” She broke down again, throwing herself into Atka’s arms. “I just… hope I… can do him… proud…”

Atka held onto her lightly. “I’m sure you will.”

Marina placed a hand on Airi’s back. “Come on, let’s get you back to the infirmary.” Airi slowly nodded, and wrapped her arms around her sister, clearly needing the assistance. Marina sighed, and smiled at Atka. “Thank you. She can be a stubborn one.”

“Just helping out a friend,” Atka replied modestly. “Make sure Chandra doesn’t yell at her too much.”

“I will.” Marina took a few steps towards the exit before looking back. “Y… you’re okay… right?”

Atka nodded. “I will be.”

Marina lowered her head a bit. “B… because Kevin seemed worried you’d blame yourself. I know it isn’t my place, but please follow his last wishes. He would not want his death to weigh you down.”

“It won’t, okay?” Atka sighed. “I’ll be fine… just trust me.”

“Alright. I’ll trust you on that.” With one last smile, Marina walked out, heading back to the infirmary with her sister in tow.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
Main Laboratory, Alien Containment Facility
November 13th, 0800 Hours

Hmm... interesting. Acedia slowly examined the nodes in her cell, poking one, wincing as it sent a spark through her finger, then poking it again.

"You, uh... having fun there?" Morrigan asked, standing in front of the cell, finding it odd to speak with an Ethereal without its usual mask.

Oh, Commander! No, I... I was merely bored.

"Well, don't let your boredom lead you to try and escape. Trust me, you wouldn't..."

Escape? Acedia slowly floated to a chair she had been provided, clear still recovering from the battle. And why would I do that? I have somewhere to stat, I am provided for, I am... relatively safe from those who would hunt me down, and thanks to these nodes feeding my energy to your shields, I have a job that merely requires me to stay in my cell to do. While I... would like a book, or perhaps a computer to pass the time with, I am... rather pleased with these arrangements. So why ever would I try to escape?

Morrigan chuckled. "Well then, it sounds like everything worked out for you... minus the, um..."

Acedia lifted her lower left arm, examining the bandages where her hand had been. It is... an unfortunate loss. But I could not allow that human to die when it was because of her mind fray that I was able to fight my controller. Acedia smiled weakly. I would have liked to have thought of something that did not cost me an appendage, but alas, this was all I could think of at the time.

"And you nearly killed yourself giving your energy to Atka. You're becoming quite the humanitarian."

Acedia shook her head.Please do not misunderstand. I prefered my chances with your people infinitely more then with Invidia. I... I do not care about you humans.

"Oh... what a shame." Morrigan stepped to the side, returning a moment later with full hands. "And after Sunny went through the trouble of making these robes to replace those rags of yours, and Jake offered to return your helmet in return for helping Atka."

Acedia stammered for a moment, then reached out. Well, it... it is considered rude not to except a gift, is it not?

With a grin, Morrigan moved to the computer, and opened the cell after holding her hand up to the Legion guards. She handed the items to Acedia, but the Ethereal hesitated, staring down at the mask, running a finger across its surface. "Something wrong? That is your mask, right?"

Acedia slowly nodded. There is no mistake. We are given our masks at the end of our first cycle. The is a big ceremony, a celebration, as not every Ethereal lives through the first cycle. It becomes a part of our identity, so much so that it is more our face then our actual face. I... I received mine late, and was so proud when I finally did. It was I sign that I was a true... but now, I... I am not sure I... I...

"Not sure about what?" Morrigan grabbed a nearby chair and sat down. "About being an Etheral?"

Acedia sighed. Please understand, Commander. I... I love my people. They... th-the ones not connected to this war are a good people, through and through. And I believe in the Path... or at least for what it stands for. But I... i-it is complicated. You likely would not...

"Try me," Morrigan insisted, crossing her legs and folding her hands.

Acedia closed her eyes.
Commander, I... I am guilty of extreme apathy, this much is obvious. But you would be too if... Acedia slowly opened her eyes. Imagine, if you can, spending... in human terms, three hundred years... trying to please an impossible to please man, given assignment after assignment you are not pleased with, and having every project you are interested in deamed unimportant... or worse, used in unspeakable ways you never intended. And there is nothing you can do, because any word against your orders carries the risk of you being deemed a traitor, not only to your cause, but to your entire race.

Morrigan took a deep breath, and nodded. "I can see why that would leave you disinterested. And I suppose it speaks well of your character. But what doesn't speak well is your decision to remain silent, to not speak out against such atrocities."

I... I am well aware of how much of a coward I am. Every... every innocent that has died to my silence is on my soul, and will be carried with me for ever. I... I-I thought, if I did little to nothing to help, I was not hurting anyone. But my in action is as bad as the actions of those like Gula and Invidia.

"Oh, I don't know if I'd go that far... but you should have spoke out, yes." Morrigan leaned forward a bit. "You had power. People would have listened..."

The Ethereal let out a grim laugh.
Commander, forgive me if this sounds like an excuse, but the main source of my fears, my self-induced apathy, might surprise you. It comes from my curiosity, interest in history, and personal interest. Those on the top of my society insist on every aspect of oir society to be about our shared minds, and a universal devotion to the Path. But I found it hard to believe that, in all our existence, the only one to speak out against it was one known as the Doubter of the Path, and even then, he is mostly used as an example of ignorance of the Path. So, I dug deeper, amd deeper, and deeper. I looked where I shouldn't have looked, talking to people I should have turned in as traitors, and found, hacked, and stole files far beyond my clearance.

"And... what did you find?" Morrigan asked.

I found example after example of my own kind, asking questions, and disappearing before said questions could go public. It is not very easy for one in a society run by incredibly powerful psychics, after all. The 'Doubter' is actually dozens of people of the course of at least the last one hundred cycles. And while I believe there was, indeed, an original Doubter, I have found evidence that he was intimately tied to the Creator of the Path. Possibly a friend, possibly family. They... they may have even been... the same person.

"I see," Morrigan said. "And when did you discover this?"

I began my research when I was Luxuria's age, over one hundred and eighty-seven years ago. I discovered the most damming pieces of information shortly before I was assigned to... this planet.

"That's some damn good dedication from one so... apathetic. Did you tell anyone?"

No, I... I feared what might happen to me, and anyone I told.

"And I suppose you destroyed your research, huh?" Morrigan let out a disappointed sigh.

Acedia looked taken aback.
Commander... as you said, I am not one for long and difficult work. There is no way I could destroy something I hard worked so hard on, even at the risk of it being discovered. Did you discover a psionic entertainment device in my chambers, assuming you still have my battleship. It looks like...

"We found it. I believe we gave it to Luxuria to use."

Instruct her to remove the secondary memory chip, and connect it to one of our computers. In a file containing corrupted data, she will find a blank file. If she specifically runs a class four viral scan on it, the file will open, and she will find all of my research.

"Alright, I'll do that." Morrigan stood up. "Anything you'd like to ask me?"

No, I... yes, actually. How... how is Nūnū?

"Nūnū?" Morrigan thought for a moment. "Oh, the bug alien. She's healthy. At least I think she is, she's hard to talk to."

Please forgive her. She and her people were worked under Gula before I got a hold of them. He... he did not treat them very well...

"Well, they're hard workers. Don't worry, we'll treat them well."

Just... one... last thing. I would like to speak with... A-Ammelia Cross.

"Ammelia?" Morrigan raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

B... because she and her sister... beat me so heartly, I... when I escaped, I... didn't get to... congradulate... them?

Morrigan grinned. She headed for the door, muttering, "You're a lousy liar."

I beg your pardon, Commander?

"I said I'll see to that." Morrigan left, leaving the Ethereal to wonder if she had made a mistake mentioning Ammelia's name.

Frostlich1228

Frostlich1228 & Zombiesplitter53: "A Hearth of Ice: Part One"

November 14th, 2018
900 Hours

Acedia stared at her freshly returned mask with a sense of apathy, not unusual for her, though unusual for such an item. Her discussion with the Commander had left her reassessing everything, and she could only hope that any tough decisions she would have to make could be held off, like everything else she’s usually responsible for. At the very least, she was comfortable, and didn’t have any desire to leave if she could avoid it.

Ammelia stepped into the room, the familiar entourage of legion Mecs watching the door behind her. She surveyed the room, this being the first time she had ever stepped foot inside one of the holding areas. Ammy finally focused on Acedia, taking steps towards the cell.

Acedia slowly glanced to the side, and practically dropped the mask at the sight of the approaching sniper. Ammeila… I-I mean, Ms… Ms. Cross, I… didn’t expect for you to come so soon.

“Just call me Ammelia like you did when we met before, why the formalities?” Ammelia asked, looking up at the ethereal with hint of sympathy in her eyes.

Yes, of course, Ammelia. I… I am glad… I mean, I see you are well. Does this mean that you were not… Acedia glanced over at the camera’s, unsure if they could record her telepathy. Y-you know…

Ammelia followed her gaze up at the camera’s, realizing that they were more than likely listening. They haven’t found out yet… Although, with the council not backing us anymore I doubt they could kick me out now...

I see. And your sister. Is she well?

She’s doing fine. Seems like she’s been enjoying her new powers.

Good, excellent. Acedia looked down for a moment, wondering if it was a bad idea calling her here. After a minute of awkward silence, she finally said, Listen… about… what happened on my ship…

I… Know I said I wouldn’t be so kind if I ever saw you again… But… This is different… Ammelia thought, looking away from her for a second.

No, I… I did not… Acedia stepped forward, placing a hand on the glass. I… wished to thank you for your kindness. It… it was…

You don’t need to thank me… I did it because I knew you had good in you, and you proved that yesterday… You saved Atka’s life, I should be thanking you…

I… I do, though. Ammelia, the Ethereals, the civilian ones, at least, are… they are good people, but I must admit, I have not been very lucky in my affairs. My… my family, my superiors, my laʒier, they… they all… no one has ever treated me with such kindness as you… you had every right to end my life, but you didn’t. So thank you.

Don’t mention it… Ammelia replied, crossing her arms but keeping the empathetic look, Are you… Alright? I heard Invidia was controlling you...

Acedia slumped a little. I am… better, now that I am here. I underestimated the fear she inspired in her troops. When I stopped at one of our smaller outpost for supplies, I was almost immediately turned in. I expected to be turned over to Superbia, or sent home for punishment, but Invidia decided to… keep me for herself, so to speak.

As Acedia finished speaking, something about her words tugged at Ammelia’s heart, You could’ve… Come here and asked for the supplies to get back home… I’m sure we could’ve gotten you something if we convinced the commander that you were honest in your plans to leave…

I… I couldn’t do that, Ammelia. Even if I had reason to trust your Commander… which I do now, but I didn’t then. But even if I did, I could not come to her for help when she believed I had escaped. And I could not tell her the truth.

You didn’t want me and Mary to get in trouble? Ammelia stayed quiet for a moment, before asking, She... didn’t hurt you did she? Invidia…

Acedia remained silent. Her eyes involuntarily drifted to the side of her cell, the rips and stains on the tattered robes she had changed out of an answer in themselves. Nothing… I did not deserve for my… cowardice…

No! I don’t know what Invidia told you, but you’re not a coward and you certainly didn’t deserve whatever she did to you! If it’s anything like… What happened to me… I wouldn’t even wish it on my worst enemy...

It… it does put things into perspective, though. Acedia looked back at Ammelia. I can see why controlling fellow Ethereals is so taboo amongst us. It was evident to me, manipulated like a puppet, how wrong I was to do it to you and your teammates. How you found the strength to let me go, I will never know.

You don’t deserve to be in that cell, especially after all you’ve been through… I don’t think the commander will let you just walk around though… She wants to give the more… wary soldiers some peace of mind.

It is okay, Ammelia. Acedia looked around. I am happy in here. I… I am not against my people in the slightest, but I am against this war. She waved towards the nodes. And I am assisting you and your allies simply by being in here, powering your shields. What more can a lazy, apathetic woman ask for?

Can… Can I at least do something do make you more comfortable in there? Is there anything you want? Ammelia asked.

Acedia thought for a moment. Well, I… I must admit, I have become quite bored a lot quicker then I thought I would. Perhaps something to read? I am interested in studying your literature. In addition, if you could convince them to give me access to my research. I was making some headway whenever I could find time away from my duties… not that my comrades cared about said research.

Yeah, I could get you some books, easy. Ammelia answered, her look lightening up a little, And about the research, I don’t think that’ll be too much of a stretch, I think Luxuria was allowed access to hers.

Excellent. Acedia’s shoulders slumped a bit. Though, I… I am sure she has done much to earn it. Other than assisting that Colonel… I am still an Overseer who manipulated a squad of humans, then fled. I do not want you to risk yourself by asking for leniency on an enemy they believe escaped from you.

I’m… Getting tired of keeping up that lie… I’m thinking that now would be the best time to tell her, you did just save her commander’s life after all...

Ammelia, no. Please, you can’t…

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
A Hearth of Ice: Part Two

The doors opened, and a tired looking red-head stepped in, smiling at Ammelia. “Ah, Ms. Cross. You got my message. Good to see she hasn’t torn you apart for humiliating her.”

“Commander? Don’t worry, she doesn’t seem resentful at all.” Ammelia looked over to the door, explaining.

“Good, good.” Morrigan folded her arms, and looked up at the Ethereal. “She’s pretty compliant. Though it still must be good to see your escaped prey in that cell, huh?”

“Escaped Prey? That’s a little…” Ammy replied, although stopping herself when she realized she hadn’t thought of what to say afterwards, “Well… She was being controlled by Invidia against her will, she seems grateful that we were able to free her.”

“True, though…” Morrigan sighed. “With that whole controlling the whole squad thing… damn. Guess this makes up for it a little, but to manipulate you, and then as a final insult, to not even have the nerve to face you when you woke up? I mean… if you want to press that little red switch, I’ll turn around for a moment.”

“I…” Ammelia hesitated, looking back towards Acedia for a second, “She didn’t…”

“She didn’t what?” Morrigan raised an eyebrow. “I know you’re a sweet woman, Ammelia. So it is okay to get mad. No matter what she’s done recently, it doesn’t make up for insulting you like that.”

“I mean…” Ammy let out a heavy breath, “She didn’t… Escape…”

Ammelia, please, don’t…

“Of course she escaped,” Morrigan said. “How else could she be here now?” She looked up, rubbing her chin in thought.

It’s okay, Acedia, I’m ready to face the consequences of my lie… “I’m… Afraid I wasn’t… Entirely honest with you back on the ship…” Ammelia spoke slowly before looking Morrigan straight in the eyes, “She didn’t escape… I let her go…”

Morrigan narrowed her eyes, and placed her hands on her hips. “And… why would you do something like that? You know who this is, right?”

“Of course I do… But she’s a good person…” Ammelia answered, “When I escaped from my dream… I woke up in the throne room… Alone… She was weak from keeping the illusion up… I was planning on dealing with her… But then she released all the humans that were asleep…”

“Listen Commander... She could’ve dealt with us all when she had the chance, but she didn’t. She could’ve trapped us in horrific nightmares, but tried to keep us happy instead… She didn’t have to let those people free, they might’ve stayed like that permanently if we had killed her, along with the rest of the squad… She promised she would leave the planet and go back home, but Invidia found her while she was trying to get the supplies for the trip… And instead of helping Invidia, or keeping it all for herself, she used some of the last of her energy to save Atka’s life…” The sniper finished, “I know you’ll probably never trust me the same way again after this… But trust me when I say that there is a good person in her… She was just forced to do things that she never wanted to do by her superiors.”

Morrigan slowly tapped her foot, deep in thought. She… she is not aware that I… I-I… implanted a… a desire to release me. She… she has been fooled the whole time, thinking I, I mean she… was guilty, when if fact I…

Morrigan raised a hand. “Jeez, how does one get you position being such a bad liar.” She gave Ammelia a frank look. “So… you said you woke up alone. So there was no one else with you. You made the choice yourself. You’re being honest, so don’t hold back now.”

“I…” Ammy hesitated again, but gave in when she realized her cover was blown, “M-Mary and Lynch were with me too… But it was all my idea! Please don’t blame them for it…”

“Alright, alright!” Morrigan held up her hands. “Easy. I… I’m probably not as upset as you obviously think.”

“You’re not?” Ammelia responded, acting almost like a bomb had stopped counting down seconds before the explosion.

Morrigan sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. “Listen, Ammelia, I… I’ve had my suspicions for a while. I found it hard to believe you could break an Ethereal’s will, and yet she’d still have the ability to escape. I… I wasn’t sure, so I was trying to get you to tell me yourself there.”

“I’m sorry I lied to you… But I thought the Council would have Me, Mary, and Lynch removed from the project… I figured I would wait until you weren’t so stressed out to tell you…” Ammelia said.

“I understand, and…” Morrigan grinned. “You’re right. If we were still under the Council’s thumb, all three of you’d be in the brig.” She laughed. “Good thing you waited, huh? Imagine how you father would have reacted! He’d come here himself just to kick my ass.”

“Or pull your funding and launch a raid on the base.” Ammy finally smiled, the tense atmosphere fading from the room.

“Couldn’t have that.” Morrigan placed a hand on Ammelia’s shoulder. “I… I’m not exactly pleased about this, you know. But… but you saw something in her that I wouldn’t have been able to see. Something I see now. And while I can’t say Acedia being on that base would have resulted in a more negative outcome, there is no denying she put herself on the line. I’m glad you did what you did.” She raised a finger. “But… you still violated an order and lied to your CO.”

“Well, Someone here taught me that using your own judgement to determine right from wrong is better than just blindly following orders. Sometimes you have to make your own decisions, but you have to be ready for whatever consequences your choice might have.” The sniper replied.

“Good point. But… there must be consequences, or else, what example do I lead?” Morrigan rubbed her chin, and looked up at the nervous looking Ethereal. “Hmm… as punishment, in addition to your normal training schedule, you will have an additional job. From now on, it will be your job to occasionally check on our new captive. You will assure she is healing well, and make sure that she is behaving.”

“I think I can manage that.” Ammelia said, smiling at Acedia, “She’s been through a lot after all, I’m happy to check up on her when she needs it, or even just to say hi.”

“She is still a captive, at least for now,” Morrigan warned, and pointed up at the Ethereal. “Do not take advantage of her kindness.”

Acedia bowed her head. Of course. It is not like I have the deceptive skills to fool her anyway. After all, it was Ammelia who first suspected something was wrong when we fought.

Morrigan nodded. “And I expect full honesty from now on, Ms. Cross.” She headed towards the exit, mumbling, “I swear, between this and Emily, you’d think every thinks I’d shoot anyone who didn’t advocate the complete slaughter of the enemy…”

As Ammelia watched Morrigan leave, she turned towards Acedia again, “That went… Better than I thought. it would.”

Indeed. I am constantly surprised by how tolerant humans are of each other. It is something you’d seem amongst my people on my home world, but not the military.

“I’ll make sure you don’t get too lonely down here, but keep in mind, Luxeria’s still here to talk to if I can’t make it for some reason.” Ammelia added, “Just… Be aware that she might not look how you remember.”

Is that so? I will keep that in mind. Acedia smiled. When next you come, could you bring your sister? I would very much like to see how she is doing as well.

Ammy nodded, heading towards the door, “And I’ll get your books and computer as soon as I can. Sunny and Alice might be able to help me with that actually.”

Okay, Ammelia. And… and thank you again.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53
Enemies Vanquished, Sights on the Future

Primary Mess
Hours, November 14th, 2018

“You know,” Sunny muttered between bites. “It is nice to have you come back to me in one piece.” She smiled. “Even if your MEC suit was a wreck, along with the SHIVs. Still, better them than you. They can be replaced, and besides, you’re harder to repair.”

“Mostly thanks to that shield thingy, and the other soldiers.” Alice slumped down, poking at the food she didn’t really have to eat, but normally enjoyed doing so. “But… I miss Kevin. He was always so full of life. And even though he’d constantly try to flirt with me, he’d always make sure other guys treated me like a woman, not a literal object.”

Sunny frowned. “And then there's Atka. Did… was it really her clone? It… it couldn’t have been a close approximation.”

“It was pretty darn close if that’s the case,” Sunny answered. “Same looks, same powers. But completely different personality.” She sighed, placing her cheek on the table. “Maybe my empathy isn’t as far along as I thought it was, because I can’t imagine what it must have been like to fight her. To… have to…”

Sunny shook her head. “You aren’t the only one there.” She ran a hand through her short, silvery grey hair, looking for something to say, but came up with nothing.

Atka glanced over at the silent two, quickly recognizing the young Russian engineer. “Hey, Sunny, Alice. Mind if I sit with you two?”

Sunny brightened up, and scooted a little to the side. “Yes, please. We were just t… I was just thinking about you.”

“Seems like a lot of people have been lately.” Atka sat down by Sunny.

Sunny frowned, looking down. “I… I’m sorry. I-I… I only meant it because I care about you.”

Atka shook her head. “I’m not mad... sorry if I came off that way. Just a little tired.”

Sunny looked back up. “I understand. You’ve been through a lot.”

Alice frowned this time. “I’m sorry, Atka. I was telling Sunny about… her.”

Atka nodded slowly. “Right… did you two get all the details, or do you just know part of the story?”

“Just part,” Alice answered. “During the fight, I was disabled, and couldn’t move.”

“And I could barely see anything with the interference in that room,” Sunny added.

“Well, you know how it turned out at least…” Atka sighed. “I wish I could have done more for her, but she just wouldn’t listen to reason…”

“From what I could hear, you were really risking yourself for her.” Alice lowered her head again. “Don’t blame you, though.”

Sunny sighed. “To think, Invidia could make a copy of you into something evil like that. I mean… you’re… you. You’re not exactly a pushover, but… I don’t know. It is so unnerving.” She grimaced, imagining an evil Sunny hurting people. “She’d be called… cloudy…” she mumbled under her breath.

Atka smiled slightly. “Or stormy.”

Sunny smiled back. “Yeah. But… at least you stopped her. Imagine if she had replaced you here.”

Alice chuckled. “Jake would have been killed in a day.”

Atka sighed. “I sure hope Invidia marks the last time the aliens specifically target people I care about. I don’t think I can handle Rei and Hitomi being mind controlled and coming at me with H.S.P.B.’s…”

Sunny shuddered. “Yeah… though… that last one is probably going to be as strong as Invidia, maybe even stronger. And with everything everyone has gone through, the Commander will likely need Desmond fight him, despite Desmond’s condition.” She gave Atka a worried look. “He… h-he’s going to be okay, right?”

“Yeah. Lily made that armband thing for him that seems like an effective defense… I’m counting on her to dream up something more permanent, though,” Atka replied gently.

Alice leaned forward, grinning at Atka. “So… what was that thing you were doing? With your blood?”

“A… sorta ‘blood barrier’ variant of telekinetic field.” Atka rubbed the back of her neck. “Sorta works on the same principle as my helixes. My energy is internalized, and then, in this case...’externalized’.”

“So, it is your blood, then,” Sunny asked, looking worried. “Isn’t that dangerous?”

Atka shrugged. “Maybe. But I don’t plan on using it unless I absolutely need it.”

“Please don’t.” Sunny took a nervous drink of water. “I mean, I’m no doctor, but I’m sure you can’t lose too much before you’re a gonner…”

Alice nodded. “Up to 15% is fine. Up to 30% will start getting you woozy, and up to 40% would require a blood transfusion. Beyond that, immediate aggressive resuscitation would be required to prevent death.” Her AEC activated, a nurse’s hat materializing on her head.

“Oh, that’s encouraging,” Atka said with a roll of her eyes. “Considering how often I tend to get wounded, it’s usually not the issue of a choice anyway.”

“I don’t suppose it has to be your blood, does it?” Alice asked, a surprisingly sinister smile spreading across her face.

Atka raised an eyebrow. “Well, if ‘internalization of energy’ means anything, it may have to be.”

Alice frowned. “Oh… too bad…” She lifted her hand nonchalantly, flexing it ever so much. A simple dagger materialized in it, and she muttered, “Imagine slicing open an enemy, and then using its blood to…” She noted the look Sunny was giving her. “What?”

“No more Tarantino movies for you.”

“But… but Sunny, I…”

Sunny held up a stern finger. “No!” Alice pouted, folding her arms a huffing.

“I’m missing out on references here, aren’t I?” Atka lamented with a mock sigh.

Sunny rolled her eyes. “Alice has been watching too many violent movies. Says she’s mature enough. Ask me, she less mature when it comes to those things as me.”

Alice huffed again. “I was just joking. Right, Atka?”

“I dunno, I saw a murderous glint in her eyes… you may need to attach failsafes on her,” Atka mused.

Sunny grinned, and Alice narrowed her eyes. “Oh, ha, ha…”

Sunny shook her head, her smile dimming a bit. “It… it’s almost over, right Atka? Soon, we’ll be able to joke around like this all the time, free from interstellar invaders… r-right?”

“Yep. Once Desmond deals with that last Overseer, we’ll just have their two bosses left. The Honored Overseer and the God of Fear…”

“Good… good.” Sunny took a big bite of her sandwich, mumbling between bites, “‘cause I can’t take having to rebuild the same SHIVs over and over again. Maybe Modya’s contacts can get me the materials, and I’ll just build a tank and be done with it…”

“They make good tanks. Taqukaq’s metal counterpart served me well… we just need something to deal with that stupid HEAT ammo their best troops love to field,” Atka replied.

“Hmm…” Sunny wrinkled her nose a bit in thought. “Maybe… you just gave me an idea for my next project…”

Atka grinned. “Good to hear. Anything for Steel Taqukaq.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Weak Alone, Strong Together

Office of Nick Rocha
Austin, Texas, USA
November 15, 1200 Hours, Local Time

A bead of sweat ran down Nick's cheek as he watched the various men and women from around the world argue in his conference room. He shuttered, unsure what to do next. He hadn't heard from the Ethereal for days now, and he was at a loss for what to do. Should he have canceled the meeting? Should he go on without her? She would back him up when he started, right? A more humble, more logical man would have taken this as a clear sign that he was not fit for his position, but all Nick could do right now is wait and fidget.

"We should storm their base right now! I don't care how protected it is. If we pool our armies..."

"Exalt failed in their attack. The aliens failed. Do you think you'll do any...

"Then what do you propose? Just... let them do what they want?"

"Why not? They're doing well without us. Damn, we should never have..."

"They are receiving funding from somewhere. We should find out who, and eliminate them."

"Are you threatening me? Because I just so happen to..."

"Are you crazy? This is treason!"

Nick pulled at his collar is the various Council members snapped at each other's throats. They were all here now. There was no telling how long they continue bickering. Now? But where was the signal? Was she even here?

"I could argue treason from you! You think in such individual terms..."

"He's right! This is supposed to be about the whole world."

"And what makes you think X-COM can be trusted at all anymore?"

"The last Ethereal leader has opened the floodgates. There are reports of increased activity all over..."

"It is nothing we can't..."

"Sectopods were dropped in the middle of Paris. Where do you think those interceptors that took them out came from?"

"A chryssalid attack could have wiped out Shanghai. Then we received some smoke bombs that attracted the bugs. Reduced casualties from the tens of thousands to the hundreds..."

"Some pod filled with dozens of Sectoids, Thin Men, and Floaters was dropped in Cape Town. An... ahem, unknown group of human soldiers flew in and eliminated them like they were nothing."

"And what of the dozens and dozens of other attacks X-COM is not..."

"Is that so? Oh... it's almost as if they have LIMITED FUNDING! If it wasn't for the Overseer..."

"SHUT... UP!" Nick screamed, leaping to his feet. All heads slowly turned towards the fuming, sweating man. "Damn it! You bunch of stupid, fucking blowhards! Shut... up!"

The British representative held up her hand. "Alright, calm down. Perhaps we are, indeed, getting a little out of hand. And our esteemed host did go through the trouble of..."

"Oh, shut the hell up?" Nick reached under his desk, pulling out a Plasma Dragon and placing it on his desk at the head of the room. Using the desk as a stand, he pointed the weapon towards the room full of Councilman. With a snare, he snapped, "I don't need her here! I'll do this on my own!"

Nick's secretary let out a shrill cry, dropping to her knees and holding her hands over her head. The Mutons that were supposed to cover the exit weren't here, but the sight of the heavy plasma weapon kept everyone from running. A short, grey-haired man, the new American representative, stepped forward. "Listen... we are all a bit tense here. But no need to... w-where did you get that..."

Nick let out an exaggerated sigh, and pulled out a plasma pistol. "From the Ethereals, you moron! The same place YOU were supposed to get you mental reprogramming! You were supposed to be Invidia's vessel for this!"

"What?" The American chuckled nervously. "What are you..." He dropped to the floor, a plasma bolt going through his chest. Having burned clean through, the South African representative took a hit to the shoulder and cried out in incredible pain. Rachel screamed again, and everyone looked about ready to panic.

Despite the danger, the Russian representative took a step forward. "Just... tell us what you want."

"What I want?" Nick laughed, quickly wiping the sweat from his brow. "What I want is for things to go to plan! Invidia was supposed to be here for this! But it doesn't matter. I'll kill all of you, and then she..."

"Invidia is dead," the Russian said calmly. "X-COM eliminated her a few days ago."

"What?" Nick laughed, his right index finger hovering over the Plasma Dragon's trigger as he pointed the pistol with his left hand. "She... sh-she's hidden. Without the Council, they could never..."

"The Overseer is still on their side," the Japanese representative said.

Nick shook his head. "No... no, I... she's hidden! She can't... you don't know her, she can... even if you think she..."

"She is dead, completely and truly." The Russian gave Nick a serious look. "Her body hoping did not save her from determination of X-COM soldiers. It is over. Please. Step away from weapons."

Nick stood in silence for a few moments, considering. Finally, with snare, he said, "It doesn't matter. I still have a plan to carry out. Not like any of you idiots deserve to live anyway. All high and mighty, think you're untouchable. That bitch from America sure thought she was. You're all so arrogant, none of you thought to bring protection. This planet can't be trusted to the likes of you!"

The Russian slowly nodded, a small smile on his face as his eyes moved from the side towards Nick. "In this, you have a good point. It is foolish of them not to bring protection. But I can join you, da? After all, I did not make this mistake."

Nick's heart sank as he caught someone decloaking to his right out of the corner of his eye. He swung his arm to aim the plasma pistol, but the soldier was much, much faster. Before he knew what was happening, she had planted him on the ground, pulling his arm behind his back as the pistol slid out of reach. He tried to move, but was completely immobilized.

The Russian casually bent down, picking up the pistol. " Spasibo, Volkova."

"S udovol'stviyem, tovarishch," Galena responded, twisting a little harder.

"No!" Nick tried to push up, but he couldn't budge an inch. "How... could you..."

"You were not as careful or clever as you seem to think," Galena answered. "Relied too much on your alien masters, it would seem."

"Da. Rebecca Carter survived. Her attack indicated a mole in Council, and she recognized commanding officer of the soldiers that attacked them as a high ranking man in U.S. army. This narrows suspects down to those who have sway in military."

"Y-you... son of a..." Galena applied more pressure, and received a satisfying pop from Nick's shoulder.

The Russian Councilman turned to the rest of the attendants. "So... who shall we side with? You work alone, you are fooled and almost killed by predatel'skaya mudak here." He poked himself in the chest with the pistol. "Me? I side with X-COM. I get sense of satisfaction that world is protected. I am confident in knowledge that my homeland will be defended. And when I smell fishy meeting by man on suspect list, Volkova is able to contact friend in X-COM, who convinces Commander to loan us shadow armor."

Nick continued to struggle until the pistol was turned towards him. "No... no, please, I..."

"Now, he sides with aliens. He gets power. He gets position. He is manipulated. He gets poor back-up, and no word that his master is dead. He becomes traitor to his own people. And now..."

"No, please!"

"...he gets death." The Russian fired. He gave the dead traitor a look of contempt, and Galena an apologetic look as she grumbled to herself, wiping the blood off of her face. He turned back to the other Council members. Throwing the pistol to the side, he shrugged. "The choice is yours. Those of you who choose X-COM can come with me. I know a few of you who have apology letters to right, though."

The Russian Councilman stepped out of the room, Galena following as she tried to comfort the hysterical secretary. It didn't take long for each of the other Council members to follow as well.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53: "A Sister's Worry: Part One"

Soldier Barracks, Room of the Legion Elites
November 15th, 1300 Hours

Aya took a deep breath, not exactly sure what she was doing here, but sure she need to be here all the same. Rumors abound all over the base revolving around her sister, Fox, and his brother, and many of them were so conflicting, she wasn’t sure if she could trust either side. So, with things still awkward with Eve, she decided to go to another possible source of information, and slowly but firmly knocked on the door. "Anyone home?”

There was some muffled talk behind the door and the sound of a chair scraping against the floor as a few seconds past and the door to the room opened, Hawke staring back at Aya for a few moments in surprise before grinning. “Welcome, weren’t expecting you to come here.”

“Is that so?” Aya tried to look past him. “I’m… not interrupting anything, am I?”

“Oh, nothing important, was just lounging around a bit. Would you...like to come in?” The sniper asked with a raised eyebrow.

“If you’ll have me,” Aya answered with a friendly smile. “I just want to… check in on you guys, make sure things are going well.”

Hawke stepped out of the doorway and waved her in, going back to his seat at the table in the middle of the room and picking up a book he had been reading. Chief sat on the other end cleaning his gun, not having to look at the guest. “Hello Aya.”

“Hello.” Aya grabbed a chair and sat down, folding the hands against her leg. “Keeping… busy?”

“Oh very. This is about the only free time besides bed we have gotten the past...I would say around a week, right?” Hawke asked his brother.

The leader only grinned and replied with a ‘mhmm’.

“I see.” Aya rubbed her hands, trying not to look uncomfortable and doing a lousy job of it. “W-where… are Bull and Fox.”

“Uh, let’s see. I believe Bull is done in the gym taking care of some business and if I am not mistaken, Fox went for a shower after his workout run.” Chief informed her.

“I… see,” the Central Officer repeated. “I… I, um…” She sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m not here on a social call, even if I am glad to see you are all doing well. This is all about… some things I’ve heard on the grapevine. A lot of it unflattering.”

“Ha...you owe me a lunch Chief.” Hawke stated with a smile.

“Shut up, later.” He put his gun down on the table and shifted in his seat. “I am sure you have a lot of questions, so go ahead and ask.”

“Heh.” Aya leaned back. “Well, one of the most pressing is how one of my soldiers ended up in the infirmary with shards of glass in his head. He… seemed reluctant to share, and somehow I doubt it was an accident like his colleagues insist.”

Hawke nearly fell out of his chair laughing and had to stop himself by grabbing onto the table. “Oh man, what a little bitch that he can’t even admit he got his ass handed to him the right way.” Taking a second to calm down Hawke smiled at Aya. “Well...said bitch and his buddies thought it funny to pick on Fox during a late night in the bar. They hit him, I rushed in, they hit me, Fox smashed a bottle against the big guy’s head.”

Aya didn’t look amused, but she slowly nodded. “In the future, I’d recommend avoiding such individuals. But as this was self defense, I’ll be sure to reprimand them.” A sliver of a smile appeared on her face. “Good to hear Fox standing up for himself.”

“So, I guess you are probably here for the rumors as well if this has been brought up?” Chief asked of her, leaning back himself.

“Yes… I am.” Aya ran her hand over her face. “The… the truth is, my sister and I haven’t spoken much in the last few days. And… a-and I need to make sure my anger with her was justified, and I… I didn’t drive a wedge between us over false rumors.”

“Then I guess we should tell you the whole story then?” The sniper asked.

“Please do,” Aya said, a hint of desperation in her voice. “B-because, I… I heard she cheated on Fox. I believe the exact words were… um… “Went to the guy like a dog begging for a… good bone…”. I, of course, went off on the person I heard this from, until I started to hear it more and more. And after our fight, I started hearing that Eve and Fox were happy together, so… now, I don’t know what to believe.”

“Well, there is truth to both sides. It is true, Eve did go see a guy to have sex with him but she swore that she didn’t go through with it. The guy she turned down got mad and went to his friends to spread rumors that she was just a… ‘slut looking for a good time.’. Well, Eve’s reputation was slandered and Fox was devastated.” Chief and Hawke looked at one another and Hawke continued for his brother.

“So, I came up with a plan. I went to Eve, saying to her that Chief was pissed off at her and wanted her to pay for hurting Fox to scare her into action. I forced her to the room, Chief acted his part and Bull knocked him out and I shoved the two into a room together so they could talk. They poured their hearts out to one another and low and behold, Fox couldn’t let her go, even after the betrayal.”

“But...there was still a problem.” Chief continued. “Even though the two were back together, the rumors that Eve was able and wanting were still ingrain in people’s mind, so we commenced a second part to our plan. We fought fire with fire, using the help of some well known people to spread rumors that the two were actually together and happy. Low and behold, we got results and the good rumors were starting to clash with the bad ones.”

“So in actuality, yes, she wasn’t completely loyal to Fox but the two are happy together once more, if not more than they were before.” Hawke finished. In his mind, he considered telling her sister about the threats Eve had made during her depression but thought it wise to leave out of the story.

Aya leaned forward, rubbing the back of her neck. “You… did all this for them? Why? I mean… wouldn’t it have been easier to just tell Fox to dump Eve?”

“Sure, it would have been easier…” Hawke agreed, leaning back in his chair and putting his hands together behind his head. “But that would be the easy way out. They deserve to be together, and Eve never found out that Chief was acting so I don’t think she will even consider anything like this ever again. If she does, then she won’t be worth the time of day for us but for right now, she is family, and we take care of our family.”

Aya slowly smiled. “I… I hope she won’t need the threat to stay faithful. Did Fox tell you about talking with me about her?”

“You and about every other female Fox knew, warning him. Fox is like a child though, when he finds something he likes, they rarely can be told that they need to move on. If he has faith in her one last time, then we do too, if not as optimistically as him.” The assault stated.

“Yes, but…” Aya shook her head. “I… I’d like to think Fox’s faith in her is more mature then you might think. I heard it in his voice, and saw it in his eyes. I was so… hurt to hear of Eve’s betrayal because, while I started off trying to convince him about her, he… he was the one that did the convincing. And if it’s because of you that they’re still together, then I owe you my gratitude, and then some.”

“Our brother’s happiness was worth it enough. Though…” Hawke looked up at the clock and sighed. “He will be returning soon. If you want to talk to him, then this would be the time, without Eve here to try and persuade him, if that was indeed what she may have done the first time. We will leave of course as well, so it would just be you two.”

“That sounds like a good idea.” Aya sat down by Chief, looking over his weapon to pass the time.

The three sat there for about ten minutes, Hawke glancing at the clock to make sure that Fox didn’t drop in on them unexpectedly. The two Elites stood up together once Hawke gave the signal and proceeded to the door. “Wish you luck.” Hawke said as he walked out, Chief closing the door behind him.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Part Two

About a minute after, the door opened again and a red faced and still damp Fox returned from his hot shower opening his eyes and being surprised to see Aya sitting at the table instead of his brothers. “O-Oh...uh, hi Miss Brea...er...Aya.”

“Hello, Fox.” Aya folded her hands again. “Do you mind if we talk for a bit?”

“Y-Yeah, that is fine. Is this about…” Fox looked a little nervous for a second and swallowed hard. “A-About what...Eve...did?”

“It is.” Aya looked down, frowning. “She… she hurt you pretty bad, huh? I’ve heard exactly what happened, at least for the most part. And I know how you must have felt.”

Fox looked down too. “Yeah...it...it hurt a lot. When I first heard about it I was...out running. I heard these guys mention her name and when I listened in they were saying horrible things. When I confronted them...they told me what she did.”

“And did you believe them at first,” Aya asked.

“N-No...I thought they were joking around at first but when I listened in, a lot of people were saying similar things. I was confused but somehow I knew…” Fox sighed. “That they were true. But I the stories also conflicted, which...didn’t help me to be honest. Some said she...did it all the way, some said she only went half way and others said she did it multiple times, I just couldn’t take it…”

“I understand.” Aya stood up. She slowly walked over to Fox, and asked, “And… after she apologized to you, and its been a few days, how do you feel now?”

“I...I am still a little angry, and a bit sad but not as much as before.” He stated solemnly.

Aya crouched down in front of him, smiling sadly. “And do you… regret giving her a second chance?”

The scout hesitated, looking down to the ground. “I don’t regret it, but I definitely worry...but, I know that she wants to take the full blame but I am not...entirely faultless.”

Aya smile faded. “I don’t… know what you mean. How are you to blame, Fox?”

Fox’s face dropped and his hand shook a little. “Uh...p-please don’t be mad…”

Aya shook her head. “I promise, Fox. I won’t be mad. Please tell me.”

Fox pressed his index fingers together and he groaned a bit. “Uh...t-that day I saw you...I wasn’t being truthful with you. I...didn’t have training, I just wanted to spend more time with her and we…” Fox groaned again, this time blushing a bit.

Aya chuckled a bit. “Fox… how old are you? I… mean physically. I know you and your brothers have only been around for a while.”

“Physically?” Fox had to think for a moment, trying to remember. “Um...if I remember right it was around...18 to 20 range?”

Aya nodded. “Right. And although she hasn’t aged very quickly, Eve is about that age mentally as well. Do you know what that means?”

“Uh...I am having trouble following your point to be honest.” Fox scratched his head. “I am not really good with picking up subtlety...a quirk that...really screwed up the relationship as well…”

Aya chuckled again. “What I’m saying is, you’re both adults. I appreciate you not wanting to upset me, I really do. And I… I hope you’re being careful. But I’m not mad at you.” She tilted her head a bit. “So, how did your… inability to pick up on subtlety hurt your relationship?”

“Well...she was giving...hints that flew over my head. I feel kind of dumb when I remember all the times and I guess Eve thought I didn’t appreciate her, but I was just trying to make her...happy.” Fox rubbed his eyes, refusing to let them get teary.

Aya reached out, placing a gentle hand on Fox’s shoulder. “I understand. But that isn’t as much your fault as you probably think. And I’m willing to bet Eve doesn’t blame you at all, does she? So you shouldn’t either.”

“But...I mean I still feel bad, even if she doesn’t blame me.” Fox opted to sit down and rubbed his eyes again.

“I know, it’s okay. But now that Eve knows that, she can be more direct.” Aya sat next to Fox, smiling. “I… have something to tell you, Fox. Something you might find surprising. Something you might find hard to believe.”

“W-What?” He asked, blinking in curiousity.

“People seem to talk down about you. Even to you. They act like you’re some overgrown child.” Aya shrugged. “Sure, you miss some things. And you're a bit sensitive. But I’m not sure if you’re as childish as other people think. You’re smart. It sounds to me that you decided to stay with Eve, not because of nievity, but because you believe in her. You have a firmer grasp on things then even you think. I don’t know. I just don’t think people give you enough credit, even yourself. Except for one person besides me. You know who that is?”

“E-Eve?” He asked with a slight smile.

Aya nodded. “When you last talked, you took me by surprise. I was afraid Eve might have been playing you, taking advantage of your immaturity. But everything you said made me feel bad for thinking less of you. And I think you surprised her as well. I believed it when she said she loved you, and I was so confident in you. I… I am now, too.”

Fox chuckled a bit and scratched his cheek. “W-Wow...” Fox looked at Aya with a big smile and he jumped up from his chair and wrapped his arms around Aya, giving her a big hug.

Aya squeezed him back, a tear rolling down her cheek. “I… I can’t express how happy I am that you gave her another chance, Fox. You’re a good influence on her. I know she feels bad about what happened, and I don’t think she’d feel this bad if you weren’t something special. So… so thank you.”

Fox pulled off of her and gave a confident nod. “Thanks Aya...that...that means a lot.” Fox chuckled a bit and he sat forward. “Y-You know, if you ever need someone besides me to talk to, I know a certain someone you might like to hang out with.”

“Oh? Is that so?” Aya tilted her head. “And who might that be?”

The door to the room opened and Hawke stuck his head in, seeing the two in mid conversation. “You two still at it? Oh well, I will come back later then.” He closed the door back up and Fox looked at Aya.

Aya grinned. “I see. Well… you guys are some of the very few people who don’t technically work under me. And he did help you two out.” She stood up, stretching a bit. “Maybe I’ll go see if he wants to grab a bite to eat. It…” She sighed. “It has been nearly five years, after all.”

“Well...if someone like me can do it, I have no doubt!” Fox cheered on.

Aya made for the door, calling back, “Like I said, you need to give yourself more credit from now on.” She slipped out before Fox could argue with her, and quickly scanned to halls. Wishing she had Atka’s ESP or Desmond’s familiarity with the Elites, she headed to the right, figuring the direction of the bar or the gym was her best bet. After a brief jog, she caught up to Hawke as he neared the former. “Hey Hawke! Wait up!”

The sniper turned around and he raised an eyebrow. “Ah Colonel, if I knew you two were so close to finishing up I would have stayed, but you didn’t need to run all the way here just to tell me.”

“I-it’s fine, the exercise is good for me anyway.” Aya brushed a blond lock out of her eyes. “I… before you return, though, I was… ahem… I was wondering…”

Hawke chuckled. “Whatever it is, you can say it. Just being nervous makes me worry.” He gave a soft smile and looked at Aya. “And really? Out of all the excuses you choose exercise? You look fine to me.”

Aya blushed a bit, mostly because of how matter-of-factly he said it. “I’m sorry. It’s been almost half a decade before I even tried, but… you… you want to get something to drink?”

“I would love a drink.” Hawke reached into his pocket and instead of pulling out his pack of cigarettes, he pulled out a small bag of almonds instead. “Had to nab these from the bar. A friend of mine said I should try and beat the habit before it started. Damn things tasted horrible anyways.”

Aya chuckled. “Yeah, that is the one thing about you I didn’t like…” She frowned. “I… that came out wrong.”

“Don’t worry about it, I didn’t too much either.” Hawke turned to walk towards the bar and he smirked. “You said that was something you didn’t like, that mean there are positives to counteract that negative?”

“Heh… now don’t get arrogant. But you seem a good man, strong and… and handsome.” Aya followed closely. “How about we… get to know each other.”

“I might just take you up on that offer.” The sniper stated suavely.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Adrammalech & ZombieSplitter53
"Exquisite Cellmates"

Alien Containment Facility
November 15th, 1400 Hours

Acedia stretched her arms a bit, waking and feeling much better than she had before. While her energy needed more time to recover, her vast energy pool meant the nodes didn’t affect her as much as they thought. Either that, or they were going easy on her. Probably a bit of both.

Her energy high enough for her to stretch her mental muscles, she considered escaping to one of her usual self-induced dreams. As she thought of someone she kind envision there, she remembered that Luxuria was still on base somewhere. She floated into a meditative stance, and reached out with her mind. Luxuria?...hello?

Luxuria looked up from her work in surprise, turning around from her computer and taking a look around. Seeing no one else there, she searched for the source and focused on it. Aergian? What are you doing here? I thought they were going after Invidia...

Oh! So, you are still alive. I… yes, they were. They just happened to find me as well. I was at her base. If you haven’t heard, though, she is gone.

I had few doubts, but it is good to hear all the same. What were you doing with her? Surely there would be a better Ethereal’s home to flee to, once you lost your base.

I… I am… afraid I was her captive.
Acedia sighed. After the humiliation of my defeat, I… I know how this will likely sound to you, but I tried to distance myself from this struggle. Invidia found me, and instead of turning me in, decided to… use me.

It sounds more reasonable to me than you may think. Luxuria put her computer to sleep and walked across her cell, taking a more casual seat and thinking for a moment. So she controlled you? Are you okay?

Acedia thought for a moment, her eyes darting around in confusion. I… I was injured, but I am… better now. But you… you do not have to humor me. I know how disgraceful my actions were. I was hoping to speak with a fellow of my kind without being… patronized.

I am not trying to patronize you, I have known for a while that Invidia is a criminal, and I don’t want to see anyone abused by her. Even you, despite the...differences we may have had.

Oh, I… th-thank you. I… I was always a fan of your writings, if we are being honest. I had not been for your research in biological matters of Earth, along with Avaritia’s on the mechanical and technological, I would have been at a loss. I just never said anything because you… never seemed to be interested in me. Not… n-not that I blame you.

Well, I’m glad my papers allowed you to avoid work. Luxuria sighed and softened. I have not enjoyed looking at my papers myself, lately.

Oh? They… they were always quite brilliant. You had a finesse with your words that I was often jealous of, even if they were a bit cold… I-I mean, they… they were, um… I didn’t mean…

I didn’t know you admired me so much, but I never paid you that much attention. I appreciate it now, however. And if you helped the humans, then perhaps I should’ve been paying you more attention after all.

I… I don’t know… Acedia slowly rubbed her head. This is… you don’t sound… like you did before. Is… is this a trick?

No, I just have been...affected by my capture. Both in my morals and my mannerisms. It is difficult to put to words.

I see.
Acedia smiled, even though Luxuria couldn’t see it. Well, I… I am glad. I never knew we could have a pleasant conversation. After all, you were always so dedicated, and I so… disappointing.

I suppose it is a part of us, if our captor’s naming schemes are to be believed. At least you escaped the first time, more so than any of us had. And your...shyness from our sciences means you could at least live relatively guilt free.
Luxuria glanced languidly towards her computer.

Acedia slumped her shoulders. I… I do not think the Council of Elders… or most other, for that matter, would agree. I… I just couldn’t be bothered anymore. I… I do work into cloning for medical research, it is used to create an army for there way. I do research on the people of Delta 7-1, they are attacked and put to work. I… I know how much of a disgrace it must make me, but I couldn’t take it anymore. So I retreated into apathy, and then tried to retreat in a more physical state. I… am an embarrassment to our people, but I would have done it again if given the choice, even with what I have lost…

What were you hoping for from your work then? I regret what I wrote in my reports...but that is because I knew what they would be used for. There was never a doubt about our intentions.

I… I don’t know. To be excepted… I guess. I’ve spent most of my existence with people telling me what a disappointment I am. My superiors, my so-called partner. My parents. You know, I… I did not even receive my mask until I had nearly reached my third cycle, because I had not ‘earned it’ until then? So I… I did my job, hoping to impress. Hoping that if I found my place, I would do good. But everything I ever did was either frowned upon, or… or used in ways I never intended. But I was too much of a coward to ever say anything.

I see...well, I know every time that I was overtasked in my labs or with a new study, I thought of people who would not work as hard as me and still have the same rank. This is why I may have been cold towards you. However, I will say that when you did participate, the work was just as good as any of the other Overseers. This is why I was not as hostile as I could’ve been.

And I thank you for that.
Acedia thought for a moment. You have been treated well here?

Very well, over time. And you?

Surprisingly well. These humans surprise me. I was sure the one I met was the only one that would show me kindness, but this was not the case. Aside from the loss of my hand, this could have turned out worse.

I believe they will continue to surprise you. Many here have treated me equitably.

Is that so. You did always have an… interesting interest in them. Does this mean you have a few that visit you? Invidia was spreading rumors about one in particular.

Yes, I have had many visitors, many of them hostile when I was first captured, but now most of them are neutral if not friendly. One has visited me frequently and done much for me in this cell. I hazard to call her a friend, though she has been wary to say the same of me. What have you heard about her?

Only that she visits you frequently. She seems to have an interest in you, at least. Though, I… I have heard something about you. Though I am not sure what to make of it.

What is that, I wonder?

Something about you… not looking how I might remember you. You were not scared or… something, were you. Sorry, I am… not the quickest to pick up on these things.

Luxuria thought for a moment, wondering if she should share such a thing. It’s true, I am different. I could show you, if you wanted.

We could, if I could come to… oh yes, the humans know an ability that is similar to my own. Only more… pleasant and useful than mine. Have you learned it?

I have. Do your best to concentrate on me despite our distance, and I will let you in.

Last edited:

Adrammalech

Luxuria focused on the mental power around Acedia’s location and brought her in, feeling the familiar space in her mind come into shape. An observatory somewhere on the Ethereal homeworld, immortalized in her memory, and both living and breathing in her mind. In the center of it stood Luxuria’s human form just as it now was in real life, a slightly augmented form of Emily with tied up hair and violet eyes. She waited patiently for Acedia to arrive and materialize.

“Can you see me?” Luxuria asked.

Acedia slowly formed, her level of energy making it slightly harder. She, too, appeared as she was, missing hand and no mask. She looked Luxuria up and down. “That… is that… really you?”

“Yes, now. My brain is still Ethereal, but everything else has changed,” Luxuria confirmed. She smiled a bit, “it’s a beautiful form, is it not?”

Acedia rubbed her chin, looking Luxuria up and down as if she was assessing someone at a beauty contest. “Well, I… I am not one to ask about the attractiveness of humans, but…” She smiled. “I do believe it is. This… is what you wanted, is it not?”

“It is,” she nodded, “I have smooth skin, functional organs, reliable limbs, and so little of it pokes or bulges out. I have not had much opportunity to hone my psionics, but I believe it will be more receptive to the physical aspect of them as well.”

“It is quite the efficient looking body.” Acedia nodded. “I am… satisfied with my own form… well, except for the hand thing. But I am happy for you. It is nice to see one of my allies could get what she wanted, even if it… is in captivity.”

“I am glad you are accepting of it, I know not all would approve of the timing or methods of such a change,” Luxuria smiled confidently.

“Yes, I could see why. But…” Acedia shook her head. “This is your choice, and it is about the Path and Ascension. I, for one, applaud your efforts.” Her smiled broadened a bit. “Even if there were some selfish reasons behind it.”

“Of course, always in pursuit of Ascension. Although...less so about the Path…”

Acedia rubbed her hands together nervously. “So, um… can I ask you something?”

“Yes?”

“I know it is… not something that is very important amongst our people, though… I always thought that was a shame. So… I wanted to ask. Are… are we friends… now?”

Luxuria thought for a moment, hesitant to throw the word out again so soon. Still, she felt there was no harm in it, and remembered Emily did the same often. She walked over and touched Acedia on her shoulder, smiling benevolently. “Of course, we can be friends.”

Acedia smiled. “Th… thank you.” Acedia wiped her head. “I… I am afraid I need some rest. I wish I could talk further, but… I am afraid I used a lot of energy, and have not fully recovered.”

“Indeed, it is difficult to exert this way against the inhibitors.” The far pieces of the dreamscape began to crumble, and Luxuria backed away. “Back to reality it is.”

“I… will talk to you later… if that is okay.” Acedia bowed her head. “And… I am happy you are well.”

“Same to you,” she nodded.

Luxuria came to, looking around her room momentarily before relaxing again. She found herself missing times when she actually had Ethereal company, even if Acedia made for an unlikely friend.

I cannot promise I’ll always be receptive, but if you need someone to talk to, you may reach out to me when you like.

Of course. Tell you other friend I said hello. And… and the Commander should be sending you a message about something in your possession. I would tell you now… but… later… Acedia broke contact, sighing and resting against her chair.

Luxuria gave a modest smile, and went back towards her computer. “I wonder what she meant,” she thought to herself before switching her console back on.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Part One (MarineAvenger and ZombieSplitter53)

X-COM Headquarters
Primary Rec-Room, The Bar
November 16th, 2200 Hours

Morrigan sat in a familiar scene, taking her back to months prior. A bet lost, leading to a one on one strip poker challenge. Somehow, her reputation in that regards had preceded her. But she knew something her men didn’t; she had been practicing. Dealing with the aliens had sharpened ability to remain calm, dealing with the Council had helped her ability to bluff, and the occasional game with Aya, Hawke, and/or Dallas had increased her general ability to read and predict the cards.

And so, she sat there in the bar, her shoes and a single sock off, and where once sat a smug, sure man, was a shivering wreck, down to nothing but a sleeveless shirt and some modest boxers. Nicolas Griffith slowly smiled, reaching forward and flipping his cards. “Sorry, Commander. Flush. Guess we get to… uh, see that other ankle.”

Morrigan grinned back. “Really… is that so? ‘Cause these four aces say otherwise.”

Nicolas slowly lowered his head. After a moment, he reluctantly pulled his shirt off. After another deal of the cards, he threw in three, where as the Commander traded in one. A big smile spread across her face as she looked at it, and Nicolas immediately dropped his cards. “I… I give up!”

Morrigan tilted her head. “Oh, aye? Because if we don’t get to see you in yer birthday suit, it’s a week of cafeteria work.”

Nicolas sighed, looking at the various female crew members giggling and watching him. He finally gathered up his clothes, mumbling, “Better than this embarrassment.”

He rushed out as the room cheered, patting their Commander on the back. She held up a finger, and the room fell silent as she slowly laid out her cards, revealing nothing but a pair of twos, and the room erupted into even louder cheers.

Morrigan laughed with them, finally pushing her way to the bar. “Gimme the strongest thing ye got. I feel like enjoying a bit of drink, seeing as how I’ve held off fer a while.”

Chief slipped in during all the cheering, a rather tired look on his face as he just blended in and sat at the bar, rubbing his face and asking for anything strong. Being the leader had it’s perks but it was long days like this he dreaded.

“No… no, somethin’ stronger. C’mon!” Morrigan glanced to her right, noting the Elite leader. Slipping a few chairs over, she patted him on the back. “Hey, Chief. You doing alright? You seem… bumed.”

“Long day.” He sighed and took his shot and downed it, placing it over. “Workout sessions, bickering, Training sessions, more bickering...sometimes I am glad I am not fully related to the rest of my team.”

“Yeah… yeah, I hear you.” Morrigan’s smile faded a bit. “Had an argument earlier today, big thing in the bar. Blood drawn, testosterone. I have a lab tech suspected of sexual harassment, I had a small explosion in engineering, no injuries, but a lot of… damage. One of our biggest contributors, and a friend of mine, nearly dies in America. And his daughter needs to talk to me about something important, and Alice's tone when she told me that doesn't give me high hopes of a pleasant conversation. And then there’s the Council, crawling and begging, at least in their own stuck up way…” Morrigan shook her head. “I… I don’t know how Atka avoids a drink or two…”

“From what I hear she has friends, and lots of them. Probably keeps her sanity in check.” Chief looked over to Morrigan and shook his head. “D-Don’t take that the wrong way, I am not saying you don’t have friends I am just making a point.”

Morrigan smiled again. “Don’t worry. I didn’t…” Morrigan glared at the bartender as he approached. “I swear to god, if that isn’t the strongest thing you have, I will…” The bartender did a 180, and Morrigan smiled at Dallas again. “The point is, I understand how you feel. But… you’re amongst friends here at least. To be honest… nah, it’s stupid…”

“I can decide if it is stupid or not,” Chief remarked with a grin. “Come on, lay it on me.”

“Well… it’d be nice to be able to talk with someone that doesn’t work under me. Atka has loosened up, and Aya is a friend, but there is always that sense of… I don’t know, professionalism. You… work for X-COM, but not under me, and you and your brothers can leave any time. It… would be nice to talk with someone like that, is all I’m saying.”

“Well I am here, so I say why not. For some strange reason I can only imagine I don’t have a choice in the matter.” The Elite captain said, chuckling to himself.

“Will this do,” the bored looking bartender placed a bottle of 190-proof Everclear in front of Morrigan with a pair of shot glasses.

Morrigan grinned. “That’ll do.” She raised an eyebrow. “Chief, can you… you have that alcohol immunity think Desmond has?”

Chief thought for a moment and shook his head. “If I do, I have never noticed it. Though I don’t usually tend to go over my limit. One of us has to stay clear headed but it is nice to let loose once and a while…”

“Right, well… only two people have ever beaten me in the game of drink, Desmond, and that… fat…” Morrigan shook her head. “Care to challenge me?”

Glancing at the clock, Chief was satisfied to see he had more than enough time and he stretched out his arms. “Alright, I am game.”

The two step over to a table near the corner of the room. A few soldiers stepped over to watch, but Morrigan waved them away. Pouring a shot for both of them, Morrigan grinned as she lifted hers. “I’ll go first, if you don’t mind.” Shooting it back, Morrigan’s eyes widened. As the alcohol hit her like a cruise liner to the brain, she wondered if they should have gone with whiskey, but she wasn’t going to back down after the first shot. “D… damn… strong…”

Chief raised an eyebrow and looked down at his. “Can’t be that bad…” He took his own and he had to shake his head as it hit him as well, putting the shot glass down. “Yep...n-not bad at all.” Clearing his throat Chief sat back. “So I barely know anything about you Commander, why don’t you begin with the pleasantries as my story...well it isn’t really that long or eventful.”

Morrigan looked him up and down. With a shrug, she poured another pair of drinks. “Well, not that much to know, really. I was a troublesome child, smart but short-tempered. Sent to live with relatives in America, and I was sent to military school. Loved, actually. So I joined the American army. Left when I got pregnant, rejoined the Irish military after moving home and… my…” She sighed. “My divorce.” She took another shot, this one not effecting her as much.

“From what I hear, they aren’t always that pleasant.” Chief took his shot and looked at Morrigan with a raised eyebrow. “So what drove you apart?”

The Commander sighed again. “Well… we cared about each other. A lot. Enough to see each other. Enough to get married. Enough to have a child together. But… it wasn’t really love. So we separated before we started to hate each other. I joined the military again, he took care of Brigid. He was… was always better for that job.” She poured another pair of shots. “I really did care about him, though. He was a great father. And a fine man. We just… weren’t meant for each other.” She took her drink in stride, her face warming a bit.

“Well I believe the expression goes, ‘Better to have love and lost than to never had loved at all.’. With all the romance on this base though, I wonder if the bartender is spiking our drinks and getting a kick out of watching the mayhem.” He glanced over at the guy and briefly laughed, downing his drink.

“Nah… it doesn’t surprise me too much.” Morrigan smiled. “Tensions are high. Finding comfort in someone else is only natural. I’m almost jealous myself. They’s been a soldier or two I know are seeing superiors, but it isn’t like I’m gonna ruin their fun.” She grinned as she poured the drinks. “Anyone catch your handsome eye, sir?”

Chief shook his head, this time taking the first drink. “Not really, I haven't really been focusing much on trying to get someone. I leave that for Fox and Hawke.” He started with a sly grin.

Morrigan chuckled, probably for a bit longer and louder than she normally would. She took her shot, and took a few seconds to father her thoughts. She started speaking again as if the pause never happened. “You know, Chief, that Viktor… Viktor… um… Desmond’s brother, he… he was an asshole, but… b-but he produced four men… four fine men. Strong, independant, attractive… um… strong… attractive…”

“You’re repeating yourself.” Chief noted, grinning wide at the compliments.

“M-maybe I… I did… that on purpose.” Morrigan slowly, carefully, poured the next set of shots. “You… y-you doing okay? You can… admit defeat at… at anytime…”

Chief chuckled and swayed a bit in his seat. “Y-You would...like that, wouldn’t you?” The Elite captain teased.

“Heh… no. ‘Cause I’m havin’ too much fun…” She took another shot, this one considerable slower, lowering the glass to the table in the fear that she might miss it. “T-tell me… Chief… can you… c-can I tell… confess somfin’ to your… to you?”

“I don’t…” Chief swayed a bit and rubbed his face. “Uh...g-go ‘head”

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Part Two

“I… I-I haven’t touched… been touched since my divorce… Can’t… no one… stupid enough to… go after superior. A-and, I… I think people… are put off by my attitude…”

“Naaahhhh…” Chief bumped Morrigan’s knee with his foot and he waved his hand dismissively. “Y-You are...y-you are a vunderful...beatitul...wo-woman…”

“Pft…” Morrigan poured herself another drink, and started to pour Chief another until she realized he hadn’t drunk his, so she spilt a little. “I… I’m thirty-eight, I… I’m… I ‘ave a short temper… have a kid, and no one goes after…” She shook her head, and slowly lifted her shot, downing half of it.

Chief reached across the table and grabbed the bottle, drinking a long swig directly from the source and getting up from his seat, having to grip the table as he stumbled into a seat directly next to Morrigan. “You...you are…” Chief just smiled and put his hand on Morrigan’s thigh. “So…”

“Don’t… get ahead… of yerself…” Morrigan smiled, and downed the rest of her shot. “Doe… though, I… think I’m… dun…” She slowly stood up. “You sober enough… te take may… te take me to… my room?”

“A-A ‘etter q-question fould...could...w-would be...are you?” He asked with a smile of his own.

Morrigan leaned against Chief, the two seeming to use each other to make up for their lack of balance. As the made their way through the sparsely occupied hallways, Morrigan poked Chief in the chest. “B-but you… dinit… win… was… a draw, gots it?”

“F-fine...dut ve...remat...rematch...later.” He stated, poking her own.

They carefully stepped into the Commander’s room, their incoherent chit chat stopping when Morrigan momentarily looked ready to panic at the sight of the empty room, before her delayed memory kicked in and she remembered Brigid was having a sleepover with Cassia. She stumbled in, flopping on her bed and reaching down. “Can ye… help… wit my shoes… ppplease?”

Chief nodded slightly and dropped to his knees, fumbling with the footwear but eventually pulling them both off. Morrigan casually pulled her pants off, then proceed to struggle with her shirt, getting stuck with it halfway off.

Chief chuckled under his breath as he climbed onto the bed and helped Morrigan take it off, taking her in for a few moments in amazement. Morrigan shook her head, not having enough shame to cover herself up, but blushing as she looked away. “What… what is it?”

“I am just...captivated. You truly are a beautiful woman.” He said, slowly taking off his own shirt.

Morrigan grinned. “You… we’re both… drunk, you know. Y-you… do that, and you… m-m-might… regret it…”

Chief grinned and leaned down to Morrigan’s ear. “I am...too lost to think...to think right now...we sh-should enjoy thi...the moment.”

Morrigan’s eyes fluttered a bit as a bead of sweat ran down her cheek. She slowly stood up, walking over to the door and locking it. With a sigh, she said, “Alright. Let’s do this before I… b-before I pass out…”

Chief got off the bed and walked over to Morrigan, pulling her over to the bed and pressing his lips against hers. “I am...yours…” Morrigan giggled, wrapping her arms around him.

--------------------------------------

November 17th, 0730 Hours

Chief slowly rose from his sleep, and was almost immediately struck with the consequences of the night before, from the taste of bile in his mouth, to the ringing in his head. As he tried to remember everything that happened, he realized that he could feel something pressed against his throat. Something cold, something metal, something sharp. Blinking a couple of times Chief’s eyes finally started to adjust and he looked for what was against him. “What…?”

“You…” Morrigan glared down at Chief, her face inches from him. “What… are you doing… in my room? Why are you in my bed? Did… did you…”

Chief pressed himself down further into the bed and rubbed his face. “Y-You mean...last night actually happened? It is all...hazy...but I remember...” The Elite leader’s eyes widened and he gulped a bit. “You...a-and me…”

Morrigan pressed down a bit on the knife against his throat. “No one… NO… ONE… finds out about this, got it? Or I make your life a living… hell.”

“You think I was going to brag about this? I do respect your privacy, you know? I am not just a meathead looking for some action.” He pleaded, a little worried about the weapon at his throat.

Morrigan narrowed her eyes, examining his expression. Finally, she sighed, pulling the knife back. She laid down against him, pressing her bare chest against his. “Sorry, Chief. I… I have a reputation to keep. Though… so do you, I guess. What would the guys think if they found out you… with me…”

“Jealous would be the word that comes to mind. With good reason, you really are quite a woman Morrigan, that wasn’t just drunken babble.”

“Hmm…” Morrigan smiled a bit. “I… I can barely remember anything after we made it back here. What about you?”

“It is slowly coming back to me.” Chief chuckled and laid his head back down. “And not a single moment I regret.”

“Well… I can’t. And no offense, but I would only have done that in order to get rid of some tension.” Morrigan slid up, sitting against Chief waist, smiling at Chief as his eyes occasionally darted down. “Do you know what that means?”

“I would hazard a guess…” He replied, trying to keep his eyes planted on her eyes but finding it hard.

Morrigan glanced at the clock. “Looks like I’ve got about an hour.” She pushed her hips down a bit, and leaned forward. “So… don’t disappoint me, hot stuff.” She giggled, and pressed her lips against his.

He had a hard time pulling away from her, smiling contently as he did however. “Let’s hope we can make it last.” Chief stated, pulling Morrigan back down down lightly and kissing her again.

Adrammalech

// BLOODLINES //
Emily Fischer
XCOM Headquarters – Supply Closet #4
Siberia, Russian Federation
November 17th, 2018 - 8:23 AM

Emily traced a circle on Dallas’ chest, snuggling tightly against his side as he held an arm around her. She stretched forward and gave him a kiss before returning to her cuddling.

“I can’t wait until we get to do this whenever we want,” she smiled.

“You know we technically could now, right?” Dallas asked. “It’s not like we’re a secret anymore, we could just tell Nika to shoo and use our beds whenever we want.”

“Maybe, but we have twin beds, that’s rude to Nika, and I like it more here.”

“You like a smelly closet more than our room?” he chuckled.

“With the blankets, yep. It’s our own spot, just for us.”

“That’s a nice way of seeing things,” he smiled. “Well, as long as you don’t run out of ways to distract the janitor, I’ll always come here with you.”

“And that’s why I like it,” she said, returning the smile. “So, since we’re here…let’s talk about the wedding. When do you think we should do it?”

“I’m not sure, really. Do you have something in mind?”

Emily thought for a moment, shaking her head. “I’d like it to be somewhere fun, without all the gunfighting and abductions…but at the same time…”

“You don’t want to wait, in case…”

Emily and Dallas were both silent for a moment, not interested in thinking about such a contingency, much less talk about it.

“We don’t have to decide now,” Emily said.

“Y-yeah. We have plenty of time to think about it. How about invitations?”

“I guess that depends on the time, since it’d just be people on base if we do it soon.”

“Perfect world?”

“Uh…for me it’d probably be the same.”

“What about family?”

Emily looked at him skeptically. “I don’t know if they’d be interested.”

“Why not? The last time you told me one of your memories, you were just reunited with them, and you seemed happy.”

“Oh, right…I told you that too…”

“Too?” he asked.

“Nothing, don’t worry about it. I…guess I could share again, although it’s a less pleasant memory.”

“I still can’t wrap my head around that, how you just remember something like that…” Dallas noted.

“And I still can’t explain it to you,” she kissed his nose, “it’s just what I do, I guess.”

“Well, I’m always happy to hear about your life, but if it’s painful for you to think about, it’s not worth my curiosity.”

“It’s fine.”

“I’ll be right here to cheer you up,” he smiled.

Emily closed her eyes and thought about it, subconsciously sifting through her memories and the Ethereal hash in her mind. She felt the senses of her old home soaking into reality, and she relaxed into an attentive Dallas. She vaguely registered Dallas’ other arm wrapping around her, bringing her into a warm hug as she slipped away.

// MEMORY: FALLOUT //
Emily Fischer, 19
Home of Robert and Susan Fischer
Stratham, New Hampshire, USA
December 13th, 2010 – 4:46 PM

I fidgeted impatiently in my room, looking up at the childish wallpaper that ran along the ceiling. Even though I had been gone for five years and back for a couple weeks, the room was frozen in place, as if I had never left when I was 14. Stagnant, boring. I was torn between wanting the freedom I had for so much of my life, and just wanting to curl into a ball and stay safe. A hesitant shout burst out from below me, only warned by the melodic ding of the doorbell.

“Amel…Emily!”

“What?” I shouted back.

“There’s someone here to see you!”

“Who?”

“What?”

“Who?!”

“Come down here!”

I sighed irritably and hopped out of bed, leaving my room. I jogged steadily down the stairs, the living room and my parents coming into view, and the guest in the doorway. Although he was in plain clothes with neat, uncapped hair, it was pretty obvious that it was Dixon, the missing persons detective from before. I walked next to my dad and looked towards him.

“Yeah?” I said.

“Hey there,” he gave a sincere smile, “it’s been a couple weeks since you arrived, I thought I’d just come and check in. Everything going well, no problems?”

My parents exchanged nervous glances, then looked towards me.

“I’m fine,” I stated curtly.

“Anything you’d like to talk about, or services you might need? We are here to help after all.”

“No, I’m fine.”

His brow sunk a bit, the smile remaining but looking quite sadder. “Well…as always, I’m a phone call away. I’m glad that you’re all united again.”

“Mmhmm,” I murmured and then turned away.

My parents quickly whispered something to the detective, taking a business card from him and sending him on his way. The door shut and they turned towards me.

“Emily, wait,” Dad said. “We have to talk.”

“What is it?” I replied.

“Sit with us.”

I sat across the living room table with my parents, Mom looking particularly sad and edgy, and Dad trying to marshal his strength to be assertive.

“We, um…” he looked towards Mom, clutching the cross on her neck, “we think you should tell us what happened when you disappeared.”

“I told you I didn’t want to talk about it already…”

“Still, we think it would be good for you to vent about this, if not to us, then the officer’s psychologist has offered his help.”

I got up and walked towards the door. “No, thanks. I have to go somewhere.”

“Where?”

“I don’t know, somewhere.”

“Wait, it’s fine, we’ll talk about something else,” he bargained.

“No, I have to go.”

Mom began sniffling and her eyes narrowed, no doubt about to start crying to make me stay.

“Emily, wait!

My hand touched the doorknob, and I looked back silently.

“We only want to help…everyone only wants to help. Your mother is tearing herself apart over here. We need to know that you’re…healing from your ordeal. Please, just talk to us about one thing that happened. Anything at all.”

My eyes softened and I looked back sadly. I tried to open my mouth and issue a single fact, but I felt the fear and the sadness creeping in on me. My incapability wrenched me inside just as I was inflicting on them. “I…can’t…not yet…” The knob turned and I opened the door halfway.

“Emily, do not walk out on us again, or else we can’t…” his voice gave out, not physically able to finish his threat.

I looked out into the street, the green leaves, the tall trees, the shining sun. Nothing logical was going through my head, but I made the decision all the same. I silently went through the door, closing it firmly behind me and walking away from my home. Tears formed in the corners of my eyes, angry at myself, and then angry at them. As I walked onto the sidewalk, alone and confused, I remembered how I was brought back home. The navy ship that picked me up in Colombia, so similar to what I was accustomed to, but so much safer than before. I knew what I had to do to escape it all again.

The door opened behind me, and my father floated out. He rushed forwards, chasing after me. Saying I was meant for more as I hovered away, confident I could still make it on my own.

This is wrong…he never chased me…