X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suryce

Game Master
I don't think the one-post limit per week is to blame, actually I even think it worked pretty well to give everybody a chance to insert their characters in the overall narrative (by not having it go too fast). The problem came from combining it with the restriction of allowing only the In-Game active soldiers to be roleplayed. That was the mistake. They were around 30 soldiers applications accepted, if all of them had been allowed to post, I think we would have had a slightly cramped beginning that would have eventually even itself out nicely with the (seemingly inevitable) few people who stop posting after a while.

For a next season, I also recommend considering the Long War mod. It's currently in beta for its EW version and the good thing with it is that you start with 30 soldiers and the features strongly encourage you to give everybody their turn instead of focusing on just one team of your strongest soldiers. This way the 30 roleplayers will have things to talk about (instead of having a third of them never seeing action in the vanilla version of the game)
Another Youtube user named Squee is currently doing a RP season with this mod if you want to take a look at a live example. (<- this is a link)

For now, here are the three "RP-inactive IG-active" soldiers that I mentioned previously, I suggested replacing them with the characters of active roleplayers waiting for their turn:
- Lukas Winters (roleplayer's last post: 26 jan.)
- Chris Cole (13 jan.)
- Alexia Concerto (31 jan.)

Edit: Adding three others soldiers:
- Tariq Hassan (Feb. 2)
- Elizabeth Grey (Feb. 12)
- Dennis Largo (Feb. 16)

Last edited:

PrinceZarek

I would hate to see it end, but I would understand why. To be honest, aside from the soldiers that are sent out, the only people that post regularly are the pilots, scientists, engineers, Vahlen, and Shen. We've had numerous casualties recently too, and each person was someone who was a regular contributor. I'll be the first to admit that I usually post my journal somewhat late, around Friday or Saturday, but thats because I work most of the week and have classes as well. My schedule is pretty strict, especially this week as I had midterms.

I also support the next season using the Long War mod. It would add a lot to the game and to the RP.

Another thing I'd add is try to incorporate more of the journals into the videos. For example, I put in a request in one of my previous journals for a new paint job for the MEC, which others wrote about too. I know I'm not going out tomorrow, but in the set-up for the next video, you could take note of it and change the MEC's look into something not as bright as neon yellow, such as a red, black, or blue, possibly with stripes.

Last edited:

Dragonivon

Well, Odd could always blow a month's wages on just getting all the rest of the accepted soldiers into the squad. It would only be about 150-200 Xbucks, right? Granted, in I/I every dollar counts. But Suryce brings up a good point that just being on hold stagnates input. I tried giving input even before Zhang was picked up, but admittedly I felt left out of the conversation as a whole for awhile there. And without more soldier rotation (though honestly we are seeing a fair bit of rotation now since everyone is getting hella wounded a lot) those stuck on the B or C team may still feel left out.

Again, to be clear, I honestly love writing for this season. But I intentionally chose a character I knew, sooner or later, would get into the mix. And likely be used a fair bit. Not everyone had that assurance, even if they were accepted. People are more invested if they are involved in the world they are writing for, even peripherally. Find a way to give everyone something to do and we will see the posts boom once more, I'm sure of it.

S

Sarge-Pepper

I agree with Suryce. I feel that the post limit was warranted, but with how few people were actually allowed to participate from the beginning, it nicked the hamstring of the interaction of the players. The Post limit prevented mary/gary sue's from completely dominating the pages, using the forum as more of a way to write for themselves and keep the spotlight on themselves. It drive others away, because no one else gets noticed. I've seen too many forums dive because of two or three overactive posters with more time than everyone else.

And i also agree with Prince, that it was a little disappointing to see a lot of people put so much into their posts, only to have one or two things noticed overall.

But by no means is it a reason to discontinue. Maybe send a few PM's, ask if the players are okay, reinstate the one post limit, and allow everyone to post. Maybe allow the alien and Exalt to create a few posts, really let us loose with the plot.

I think that would be the best patch you can put on it after some of us who contributed died off.

Wisekill1

Maybe dead soldiers can take up a role as scientist or engineers if they want? I see that a lot of people who posted actively are now dead, I suppose giving these people a new role can give the other soldiers some people to interact with.

Adrammalech

I'm ready to write, I'm just waiting to get put in. I think there's a lot of us who got picked but are still waiting to be on the personnel roster and we've kind of phased out talking on this thread, since we don't have a lot to contribute at this point. I'm still enjoying reading (what journals there are) and watching! (Also it would kind of suck if my first season is the final season.)

Same boat.

Gahlo

Who exactly are the people who have stopped writing journals?
I have, but not really by choice. My character has always been disconnected from the troops, because that really isn't his thing. I want to write out research and whatnot, but not only are laser weapons a super long research at this point in the game, the recent missions have been pretty tightly pact chronologically. It's not like earlier in the series where I could write about a project finishing or about how the previously finished project does on its first field test. It's just been "Yup, still doing lasers." and I don't want to write more than 1 post with Quincy being frustrated about it.

Suryce

Game Master
I'm working on my next character right now, who happens to be a scientist, and not only does she work in a specialized field, but I also know she is not going to be interested by everything that goes on in the lab even if she is going to help. Thus, since I already know what she will not be talkative about, what I'm doing right now is developing the rest. She is going to pursue her own personal research projects in her free time, and I'm also trying to fully portray her as an individual by giving her various other interests, worries, and characteristics.
Your character is not a science machine, you can give him a life outside of the lab. I don't know, develop his interest for conspiracy or something. There is already a lot you can do with just that aspect.

Taxor_the_First

Ah yes, the old gang, I really miss them all
"Ah yes, 'The old gang'. We have already dismissed this claim."
Looks like this won't get shut down. Whew. I about had a heart attack when I saw odd's post up top earlier.
Me too. Don't do it, man! Don't jump!
Another thing I'd add is try to incorporate more of the journals into the videos.
The last time he did that, someone got court martialed for smuggling Milky Ways into the Skyranger. Also, he'd have to be careful. I distinctly remember seeing a comment on on one of the X COM rp episodes where someone complained about the journals being, and I quote; "shoved down (their) faces". Yeah.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
I agree with the restriction of active soldiers.

I wonder, should we call this one for now and wait for Long War Mod for Enemy Within to be finished? The people waiting to enter, probably aren't going to enter any time soon.

Or, we could have people waiting to enter, start writing journals now. I'll leave it up to you guys.

S

Sarge-Pepper

I still watch the videos. I'm probably not gonna be reading the journals too much though.

summerjuliet

Honestly, I'd rather start writing journals now than call the season off. Long War seems like a good plan for next season, since the turnout is just going to get higher as the series (and the channel!) gain popularity.
That said, how would those of us waiting start our journals? Would we be on/around the base, although not having been called up yet? On our own bases with sort of "prologue" action happening? (If this is what we decide, anyway.)

Dragonivon

And now for a completely different topic:

Since it came up in RP, I was going to ask for the official ruling on how much about the science progress the soldiers know. For instance, if they are given a plasma rifle are they allowed to know the principles of it's operation or just told 'point, shoot, don't blow it up'? Are soldiers allowed to watch videos of alien autopsies and read the reports? I know they have limited access to the science wing, staying 'behind the glass' but what is allowed into the common soldier's knowledge and what's kept classified?

Considering to a man like Zhang having good intel on your target (anatomy, habits, technology, etc) is the difference between a clean kill and a cluster**** he feels that what comes out of the science lab (at least the information) is pretty essential for soldiers to know.

Though I accept that since Zhang perhaps accidentally terrorized Dr Vahlen she may be a bit reluctant to give him anything anytime soon, I'm just curious what he can find out without having to interrogate the other scientists for information.

Gahlo

I'm working on my next character right now, who happens to be a scientist, and not only does she work in a specialized field, but I also know she is not going to be interested by everything that goes on in the lab even if she is going to help. Thus, since I already know what she will not be talkative about, what I'm doing right now is developing the rest. She is going to pursue her own personal research projects in her free time, and I'm also trying to fully portray her as an individual by giving her various other interests, worries, and characteristics.
Your character is not a science machine, you can give him a life outside of the lab. I don't know, develop his interest for conspiracy or something. There is already a lot you can do with just that aspect.
He is meant to be pretty 1 dimensional.

Taxor_the_First

And now for a completely different topic:

Since it came up in RP, I was going to ask for the official ruling on how much about the science progress the soldiers know. For instance, if they are given a plasma rifle are they allowed to know the principles of it's operation or just told 'point, shoot, don't blow it up'? Are soldiers allowed to watch videos of alien autopsies and read the reports? I know they have limited access to the science wing, staying 'behind the glass' but what is allowed into the common soldier's knowledge and what's kept classified?

Considering to a man like Zhang having good intel on your target (anatomy, habits, technology, etc) is the difference between a clean kill and a cluster**** he feels that what comes out of the science lab (at least the information) is pretty essential for soldiers to know.

Though I accept that since Zhang perhaps accidentally terrorized Dr Vahlen she may be a bit reluctant to give him anything anytime soon, I'm just curious what he can find out without having to interrogate the other scientists for information.
Whilst my ruling is hardly official, I would have thought that the soldiers would have been given the "good bits", i.e. "Head is best place to shoot Sectoid, chest for Outsider, crotch for Berserker, etc." They'd probably be spared the details, like where their spleen is or something.
Also, why have the past two iterations of Zhang been obsessed with alien heads?

Final thing before I forget, Odd, thanks for continuing this series as long as you have. Even just watching and reading, I've found it really entertaining, and even helpful for my own creative stuff. Looking forward to the rest of this season (subtle "please don't cut it off") and the next season too. Also ME2. That's good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.