X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While you are technically correct, it's a bit more difficult to classify a soldier as a casualty if you know their recovery is assured. Granted, wounded will be unavailable for a time but unless they are completely dead, they will return to active service eventually. But you do make a fair point, it may also hinge a bit on how the individual defines a casualty as opposed to the strict definition.

For the purposes of this I'd recommend going with casualty for a kill or a critical wound (Which causes permanent loss of will, and generally constitutes a mission kill in gameplay)

ACisHere

Basically, you can make one journal entry per video. It can fill one entire post.
Wait wait wait... I have to fit each journal entry in under 10k characters? I thought "it can be as long as you want".

I'm sorely disappointed by this news. I'm not the kind of writer that makes good episodic content. I want my entries to involve character development and story arcs.

Well, this will be a difficult adjustment...

too_spooked

I'm going to quickly revise my most recent post, nothing huge, just some grammar errors and small additions here and there, no biggie.

S

Sarge-Pepper

Wait wait wait... I have to fit each journal entry in under 10k characters? I thought "it can be as long as you want".

I'm sorely disappointed by this news. I'm not the kind of writer that makes good episodic content. I want my entries to involve character development and story arcs.

Its an adjustment for a lot of us. But, I think it definitely helps shape you up as a writer. Editing you posts to get as much action in as you can or story is a difficult task, but it'll help you get much better at being concise with your descriptions without sacrificing plot. A good exercise, IMHO.

Gahlo

The journal are supposed to episodic anyway, not a showcase for novellas.

Dragonivon

If it helps, my mindset is to write episodes like a cliffhanger serial. Start with a strong hook, a bit of character development, evolve the main plot and at least one subplot, end with a hanging hook situation to create the cliffhanger tension until next week's episode. It does make for an interesting challenge for any writer.

S

Sarge-Pepper

For clarification to all players:
If your character was not there, you don't know about it. There might be snippets floating around that your character can hear (The military grapevine is legendary), but please do not write as though your character was in a situation they were not involved with in the video.

Thank you, and go with the Emperor.

Frostlich1228

Its an adjustment for a lot of us. But, I think it definitely helps shape you up as a writer. Editing you posts to get as much action in as you can or story is a difficult task, but it'll help you get much better at being concise with your descriptions without sacrificing plot. A good exercise, IMHO.

I don't think it should feel like an " Exercise "

I want it to be fun :/

S

Sarge-Pepper

Challenge, Exercise, mental stretches, whatever you want to call it, this game is what you make of it. Either you can complain about it and not have fun, or you can wiggle yourself to fit into the space and try to have fun doing it.

Suryce

Game Master
Writing without constraints is more difficult and less fun than with. :D

By the way, I have checked the limit before Hoku edited his posts and it's seems equal to more than 2500 words, which is basically a small book chapter and should be more than enough to do everything you may want to do in one journal.

Brian

Writing without constraints is more difficult and less fun than with. :D

By the way, I have checked the limit before Hoku edited his posts and it's seems equal to more than 2500 words, which is basically a small book chapter and should be more than enough to do everything you may want to do in one journal.
I guess it depends on how much people would want to put in their journal...mine are short because I'm bored and can't think of anything to put except for research at the moment. The ONE person I am definitely going to collaborate with isn't participating until Annette and co come.

Thenlar

I guess it depends on how much people would want to put in their journal...mine are short because I'm bored and can't think of anything to put except for research at the moment. The ONE person I am definitely going to collaborate with isn't participating until Annette and co come.
Well, you're always welcome to get involved in Ryan's black market schemes, as a customer or even supplier (or both!)._

Suryce

Game Master
Hey guys, I was thinking, since the number of journals posted is much more reasonable than previous seasons and the bio criticism was quite popular, why not do something similar with the journals? We have time to spare and we could use this thread to comment on the journals as they go. The continuous feedbacks could be another way to participate, and be useful to encourage people in their writing and help them get better if they want.
So, to start things off and see if this takes off, my journals (including the future ones) are open to any kind of remarks if you have some o/

Adrammalech

Stray thoughts for my fellow RPers today:

The entries this week seem great, I haven't looked through all of them yet because I've been busy this week. The ones especially from the mission squad (now the less-than-healthy squad) are badass, son.

I don't want to be too pushy, but I think we should consider letting one of the other Skyranger applications into the fold, since the original guy hasn't logged on since he posted his application in early December. I feel like the role of Skyranger pilot is writing gold that's kind of being wasted right now. Just something to consider.

Brian

The entries this week seem great, I haven't looked through all of them yet because I've been busy this week. The ones especially from the mission squad (now the less-than-healthy squad) are badass, son.

I don't want to be too pushy, but I think we should consider letting one of the other Skyranger applications into the fold, since the original guy hasn't logged on since he posted his application in early December. I feel like the role of Skyranger pilot is writing gold that's kind of being wasted right now. Just something to consider.
I would agree,earlier,in the week someone who applied for sky ranger said the person who stole my job as sky ranger pilot hasn't even posted yet.

too_spooked

Thanks. And I definitely agree on replacing our idling Skyranger pilot with one of the other applicants, leaving one of our most crucial plot elements unfulfilled isn't something that will help the roleplay. Sunday is in two days Chris, hopefully you can re-assign Skyranger pilot to another person.

Brian

Thanks. And I definitely agree on replacing our idling Skyranger pilot with one of the other applicants, leaving one of our most crucial plot elements unfulfilled isn't something that will help the roleplay. Sunday is in two days Chris, hopefully you can re-assign Skyranger pilot to another person.
Maybe Jenkins had to much pressure on him and committed suicide. Or something else RPish. Just to fit in,might be interesting for journals :L

Status
Not open for further replies.