X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

too_spooked

Sure. You can always chat with Ryan. He's a Canadian-born Chinese, plus he'd like to know what qualifications the actual hired engineers have (and then realize he was drastically under qualified when he applied).

Alright, based on what Suryce said, we should probably wait till this Sunday to do a co-op journal. But me being a mentor/teacher to your guy sounds like a great plan for one
fb_thumb.png

S

Sarge-Pepper

Alright, based on what Suryce said, we should probably wait till this Sunday to do a co-op journal. But me being a mentor/teacher to your guy sounds like a great plan for one
fb_thumb.png

You two can also confer with Steve too, as a former Combat engineer, he might have some valuable insight with how the equipment is used in the field and possibly help test some of it :D

too_spooked

You two can also confer with Steve too, as a former Combat engineer, he might have some valuable insight with how the equipment is used in the field and possibly help test some of it :D

Oooh, threesome ;)

In all seriousness, I'm glad to have another person on board for this, gotta jam as much into our journals as possible, since we only get one of em a week.

Thenlar

Double benefit for Ryan. Useful training for civilian life if he survives the war, plus if he's allowed to work the workshops as an intern or whatever, he might be able to use the fabricators for fun things during downtime!

Discopanda

All X-Com personnel are cordially invited to X-COM MOVIE NIGHT, courtesy of Commander Odd and Operative Largo's hard drive full of completely legally purchased Hollywood entertainment. The first film will be chosen from voting, of these three.

Mac & Me: the timeless classic tale of friendship between some kids and their alien friend.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: The tragic death of a beloved movie franchise, indirectly because of aliens.*

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: Basically Mac & Me, with better music.

*Alcoholic beverages are strongly encouraged for the viewing of this film.

Send all in-character votes to Dennis Largo (me!). Write-in votes will be considered!

Dragonivon

All X-Com personnel are cordially invited to X-COM MOVIE NIGHT, courtesy of Commander Odd and Operative Largo's hard drive full of completely legally purchased Hollywood entertainment. The first film will be chosen from voting, of these three.

Mac & Me: the timeless classic tale of friendship between some kids and their alien friend.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: The tragic death of a beloved movie franchise, indirectly because of aliens.*

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: Basically Mac & Me, with better music.

*Alcoholic beverages are strongly encouraged for the viewing of this film.

Send all in-character votes to Dennis Largo (me!). Write-in votes will be considered!

I get the sci-fi/alien theme of all three films working with the XCOM universe but the first two are a travesty against good taste. For God's sake, the Crystal Skull has Harrison Ford riding bitch behind Shia Labouf... that's unforgivable. The third is a timeless classsic that I only want to see if I have a small child present, a lot of kleenex, and perhaps a healthy supply of LSD. If we are trying to find good movies to psych ourselves up for alien invasion and fighting back, may I humbly suggest 'They Live' as an affordable and easily found alternative. Other options might be Starship Troopers, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Mars Attacks, or the timelessly subllimely awful 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'.

Of course, for myself I've been gearing up for playing Zhang in the near future by watching Triad Election, Ichi the Killer, John Woo's 'The Killer' and 'A Better Tomorrow', and replaying Yakuza 4 among other influences. But somehow I don't think that would fit the spirit of the movie night you have in mind. Unless you bring lots of doves and slow motion cameras.

PrinceZarek

I edited my journal somewhat. I added more inner monologue in some areas and cut back on others. I also added a brief synopsis of the party and how Arsène interacted with the other soldiers.

Discopanda

The Thing sounds like a good dark-horse write in candidate, but I think our first movie should be a bonding experience. E.T. to get the hugs and friendship flowing, or the first two for maximum booze-fueled hilarity.

Dragonivon

The Thing sounds like a good dark-horse write in candidate, but I think our first movie should be a bonding experience. E.T. to get the hugs and friendship flowing, or the first two for maximum booze-fueled hilarity.

No amount of booze can save the Crystal Skull. I'll vote for E.T. if for no other reason to give us a good excuse as to why our soldiers cut off the fingers of killed aliens.

Gahlo

You'll never get an Exterminatus order for Holy Terra, sadly.

We could always watch Independence Day. Little America centric, but there is the bit about showing other countries taking down mother ships.
I'm good with anything with Will Smith.

PrinceZarek

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pacific Rim yet. The world pooling their resources and banding together against a single threat, the kaiju. Though instead of jaegers fighting kaiju, we have MECs going up against berserkers and mectoids.

Status
Not open for further replies.