X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meaningofbread

Surely I am not the only one to notice there was no seating in any of the alien vessels?
But yeah, it was quite amusing to try and find a balance between humour and the exploration of the alien hierarchy. Sadly, I didn't quite have the zoological or xenological expertise to analyse it more realistically.

Holy crap, you're right. After playing through the game so many times, I never realized the aliens don't have chairs. Good catch!

Adrammalech

Most of the aliens don't have butts with which to sit on at all. Your "chair" concept is obviously evidence of the frailty of man.

Dragonivon

They don't need chairs. They have Sectoids to order around like whipping boys. If an Ethereal needs to rest, he orders one sectoid to get on it's hands and knees and be a chair. If a Muton Elite needs to take a rest, he orders THREE of the Sectoids to become a chair. This explains why we see Sectoids most often in groups of 2 or 3.

And why aren't there any chairs for the Sectoids themselves? Well, they are Sectoids. They never get a break.

(So yes, in the early months you are mostly fighting the furniture.)

Last edited:

JuliaMaluca

Is there somewhere a list of all recruits that got accepted? Just so people could look it up without watching the video and taking notes :)

Dragonivon

Is there somewhere a list of all recruits that got accepted? Just so people could look it up without watching the video and taking notes :)

No... but that can be easily fixed.

1) Rebecca Robinson (Suryce)
2) Tarmis Gorfest (Grelite)
3) Elizabeth 'Pazzo' Grey (meaningofbread)
4) Stephen Maltus (SargePepper)
5) John Knight (JohnnyKnight)
6) Hesan O'Connor (sharkdragon96)
7) Ryan Chen (Thenlar)
8) McLaren Anderson (Etriax)
9) Dennis Largo (Discopanda)
10) Caroline Southway (Prismacube)
11) Alexia Concerto (Jacob Applehoof)
12) Richard Klukinski (Rosen0x5)
13) Francis Gamer (Gamerex27)
14) Lucas Winters (Frozen Messiah) ~Note that Lucas is written as a scientist character but is somehow put onto the soldier's roster. Yes, even XCOM has clerical errors now and then. We will find out if CommanderOdd notices before Lucas gets killed.
15) Michael Franscus Maria Voeten (GMV)
16) Oliver Grant (Sir Byron the Nomad)
17) Cecannia Eirissach (Wedgekree)
18) Abigail Black (JuliaMaluca)
19) Michael Angel (Quazer Flame)
20) Chris Cole (inhumanehuman)
21) James Nightingale (MarineAvenger)
22) Danielle Velleux (Adrammalech)
23) Matilda Becker (summerjuliet)
24) Peter Pekalski (Quelptsch)
25) Hokuychio Ritofuto (Hokucho)
26) Thomas Sosh (picklecannon)
27) Arsene Lamarque (PrinceZarek)
28) Tariq Hassan (Captain Lokken's Moustache)

(Slingshot Badass) Shaojie Zhang (Dragonivon)
(Research Head) Cerise Vahlen (Psilon)
(Skyranger Pilot) Leroy Jenkins (EvilBreaker)
(Interceptor:Asia) Alexander McCraig (choppychop)
(Interceptor: North America) Samuel Random (Straif)
(Interceptor: South America) Guillierme Weber (Guilhudo)
(Interceptor: Africa) Denise Shaddix (Buttons)
(Interceptor: Europe) Bryan MacBride (bobjimbo)
(Scientist) Quincy Fuller (Gahlo)

Last edited:

Adrammalech

I am sort of having to wonder at this point if he noticed that my character is meant to be a scientist and not a soldier...
14) Lucas Winters (Frozen Messiah) ~Note that Lucas is written as a scientist character but is somehow put onto the soldier's roster. Yes, even XCOM has clerical errors now and then. We will find out if CommanderOdd notices before Lucas gets killed.

Classic clerical error. Welcome to the front lines, egghead. :3

I think someone should roleplay the administrative assistant who screwed that up.

Thenlar

I'm considering Ryan's first journal to express bewilderment. He does have degrees in both electrical and mechanical engineering, and thought he was applying for a cushy government job, where listing his military history was just to gain veteran's preference (pretending that the oath there wasn't literal, or maybe he just skimmed it). Then he's suddenly handed a rifle and body armor and told to go fight aliens!

Dragonivon

I'm considering Ryan's first journal to express bewilderment. He does have degrees in both electrical and mechanical engineering, and thought he was applying for a cushy government job, where listing his military history was just to gain veteran's preference (pretending that the oath there wasn't literal, or maybe he just skimmed it). Then he's suddenly handed a rifle and body armor and told to go fight aliens!

Well, let's be real. Ryan's grades were nothing special so despite his degrees he's not considered an exceptional scientist. But he DOES have enough technical expertise to handle things like arc-throwers or sweep up weapons fragments. And as you noted in your application his major use will more likely be keeping morale up on missions. Or failing that, acting as ablative armor for the more important soldiers.

Thenlar

Oh sure, I fully expect the actual scientists and engineers to be top people with doctorates in their fields. Ryan just wasn't paying enough attention, he was shotgunning applications everywhere, desperately trying to find a job after graduation. The economy, you know. ;)

Discopanda

Hey guys, totally off-topic PSA, but everyone remember to stay safe during New Years, don't drive drunk, don't let your friends drive drunk, and call a cab if you can't get a ride home.

Also, I think Ryan will make a fabulous Heavy. :D

Gahlo

Hey guys, totally off-topic PSA, but everyone remember to stay safe during New Years, don't drive drunk, don't let your friends drive drunk, and call a cab if you can't get a ride home.

Also, I think Ryan will make a fabulous Heavy. :D
I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, MIGHT AS WELL BE SAFE AND THROW EXPLOSIVES AT IT!

Meaningofbread

Oh sure, I fully expect the actual scientists and engineers to be top people with doctorates in their fields. Ryan just wasn't paying enough attention, he was shotgunning applications everywhere, desperately trying to find a job after graduation. The economy, you know. ;)

"What do you think you can bring to our company?"
*BLAM*
"Whoops, sorry."

Status
Not open for further replies.