X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonivon

I prefer the way XSGCOM dealt with the after war technology boost, basically without an alien threat to fight, the UN refused to continue funding XCOM either cutting it off completely or severely cutting the budget. So the sneaky accountants and legal teams in XCOM formed a corporation. MarSec, based in the Sectoid base on Mars, which owned the rights to all alien technology XCOM had taken/reverse engineered. That way they could control which countries got what, giving the countries more incentive to keep funding XCOM and keep on their good side haha

*Hmm... England's getting a bit too powerful, best let the Americans get a few more Plasma Rifles*

I think we are in the textbook definition of a protection racket by then.

Ugh. There were so many things wrong with XSGCOM do not even get me started.

(Although post-Atlantis Stargate and Reboot X-COM cross over weirdly well. If you assume X-COM is just a cover and the temple-ship was swatting any Capital Ships that took off, the tech level is a good fit. Just chalk up stupid-fast research times to having already done prototyping phases on a lot of the tech. The Ethereals fit pretty nicely with what a failed ascension attempt. One step down from Anubis. And the Sectoid thing is pretty obvious)

UnevenRanger

Ugh. There were so many things wrong with XSGCOM do not even get me started.

(Although post-Atlantis Stargate and Reboot X-COM cross over weirdly well. If you assume X-COM is just a cover and the temple-ship was swatting any Capital Ships that took off, the tech level is a good fit. Just chalk up stupid-fast research times to having already done prototyping phases on a lot of the tech. The Ethereals fit pretty nicely with what a failed ascension attempt. One step down from Anubis. And the Sectoid thing is pretty obvious)
Woah woah woah, what was wrong with XSGCOM? I thought it fit together perfectly, the way that it combined the two wars fit well as well as keeping a good balance between keeping the Aliens a threat but showing that the XCOM were much better off after joining the SGC.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I disagree with, but overall I loved the story and thought it mixed the two universes very well so I'm interested in what you didn't like about it :)

Woah woah woah, what was wrong with XSGCOM? I thought it fit together perfectly, the way that it combined the two wars fit well as well as keeping a good balance between keeping the Aliens a threat but showing that the XCOM were much better off after joining the SGC.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I disagree with, but overall I loved the story and thought it mixed the two universes very well so I'm interested in what you didn't like about it :)

Mostly just the insane wank of it. It had this distinct slant of X-COM superiority, to the point it just sort of felt... greasy. It did nothing to try and scale the competence. Just went with "X-COM is better, SGC are morons and would be nigh-helpless on their own".

It also overplayed Humanity Fuck Yeah to a revolting degree, with increasing frequency.

It started out alright, but Hotpoint seemingly felt the need to keep one-upping himself, until it eventually verged on self-parody. It basically suffocated under its own weight in the end. Like a beached whale.

All that said, it had a good core concept, I liked some of the characters and the technology adaptations. I was certainly fond of the idea of an X-COM Commander going out into the field with the ground pounders. (Anybody who wants to see a Christopher Odd leading squads this season?) It just had some major issues with execution which were allowed to snowball as the fic continued.

UnevenRanger

Mostly just the insane wank of it. It had this distinct slant of X-COM superiority, to the point it just sort of felt... greasy. It did nothing to try and scale the competence. Just went with "X-COM is better, SGC are morons and would be nigh-helpless on their own".

It also overplayed Humanity Fuck Yeah to a revolting degree, with increasing frequency.

It started out alright, but Hotpoint seemingly felt the need to keep one-upping himself, until it eventually verged on self-parody. It basically suffocated under its own weight in the end. Like a beached whale.

All that said, it had a good core concept, I liked some of the characters and the technology adaptations. I was certainly fond of the idea of an X-COM Commander going out into the field with the ground pounders. (Anybody who wants to see a Christopher Odd leading squads this season?) It just had some major issues with execution which were allowed to snowball as the fic continued.
Yeah I know what you mean, but I can understand the reason behind it. the whole X-COM is better, SGC would be nigh helpless without them thing was sort of realistic if you ask me. I mean the SGC may have had well-trained troops, but they seemed to have a couple of dozen soldiers max. I mean I know that it was top secret and everything, but you would think considering they were fighting armies consisting of thousands of Jaffa per System Lord, they would be given more resources. Also the X-COM personnel were constantly pumped full of experimental drugs to make them a match for the Aliens. Without the drugs they would be no better then any member of the SGC.

The technology adaptions were good ideas for the most part, and yeah the plot felt a little less important then the characters but I loved the battle over Anubis's planet. It never made any sense to me in the show that with a good portion of the planets in the Milky Way under their control, Anubis's "massive fleet" of capital ships was a dozen. Twelve ships. Then again I could rant about this stuff for hours haha

Hmm, I wonder if we could persuade Christopher Odd to create a character of himself to lead the squads, it certainly would make for some interesting roleplay...

Whiplash779

Lot of people with PTSD, though. Maybe we should have had someone apply to be a therapist! We all know XCom will be needing one... or more.
Yesyesyesyesyes. I would gladly revoke my application and sign up for that s*** if I could. That sounds like a great idea.

lol we could have mock (one-on-one and group) therapy sessions over messaging, discussions about their motives, problems, and progress the character is making, etc. Oh, that would be glorious...

Adrammalech

That'd be a real bummer, still better than Chryssalids though.

Flawless segue, Firefox says your 200 pixel box is 202 x 202. Reported to superiors for pixel smuggling.

Dragonivon

I, for one, am looking forward to getting my ass sniped off by Thin Men.

Actually, the numbers on those light plasma rifles thin men carry are pretty amazing. They have the same stats as a laser rifle but with a built-in scope. That's why they have such unholy accuracy so often. I got into the habit of giving light plasma rifles and a scope to my overwatch/support types and they got insanely good about picking off anything crossing into their path.

So getting picked off by Thin Men isn't embarrassing. Getting picked off by Sectoids, now that's humiliating.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
There's also this:

So it should be today, unless he gets delayed for some reason. Then rabble rabble rabble pitchforks. :p

You may need to ready the pitchforks. This week has been so busy I haven't had any time to create something for this season. I will aim for next Sunday. I should be able to do the soldier video sometime this week. Maybe Xmas day ;)

Dragonivon

You may need to ready the pitchforks. This week has been so busy I haven't had any time to create something for this season. I will aim for next Sunday. I should be able to do the soldier video sometime this week. Maybe Xmas day ;)

*sharpens a pitchfork* Well, it would make a pleasant Xmas gift of sorts. Though if released on Xmas I won't be able to see it until the day after or so. But all good, I wish all the Odds a very happy holidays and a merry new year.

PS: You might want to update your profile message since I don't think Season 3 being live and open isn't really applicable anymore. Just sayin.

BMPixy

So getting picked off by Thin Men isn't embarrassing. Getting picked off by Sectoids, now that's humiliating.
Or wondering where that Berserker went right as it pulls a Kool-Aid Man and mauls one of your soldiers.

Are those dates using the normal calendar or the Valve calendar?

Status
Not open for further replies.