X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to wonder how they would even integrate back into society. I mean some of them have recieved guite the drastic changes.
Yeah I guess that is a good question. It'd be lucky. to say that they'd be able to integrate back to society at all. Maybe xcom would try to make it easiest to send them back to their families with someone with like maybe a station to oversee them but who knows maybe they could just be like first line of defense all the time now

Yeah I guess that is a good question. It'd be lucky. to say that they'd be able to integrate back to society at all. Maybe xcom would try to make it easiest to send them back to their families with someone with like maybe a station to oversee them but who knows maybe they could just be like first line of defense all the time now

Well I Wonder if X-COMs Partners get the MEC suits? I find it very likely that mecs Would continue service in the army because thats kinda What They Were made for. I kinda Would want X-COM to give us Some post Game lore. I mean I want to know What happened to the MEC's and gene modded soldiers? I mean the MEC People could have a hard time integrating to the society,same With genemods, allthough I Think gene mods Would have easier time due to their changes Being less visible. I mean Think about Your reaction if You Would See a person With fully mechanical limbs Walking on the streets.

Suryce

Game Master
I have been wondering about what happens after the invasion is stopped, but like, not just about the soldiers, but everything.

The Temple Ship is destroyed, and it was huge enough to be assumed to be the living place of the aliens (or at least the ones who are part of the invading forces), but what if there is still more aliens alive in other places? Are they still hostile without the Uber Ethereal to command them? What would Earth do of them?
And so, would the XCOM initiative immediately stop? Since they may be more aliens out there, whether they were part of the species controlled by the Ethereals or not. And what of all the resources? People can find new jobs, they can make the XCOM HQ into a museum or something, but who keeps the very powerful alien technologies and its limited materials that can't be found on Earth? Do the Council Nations keep it for themselves? Would they fight each other over it? And on the subject of soldiers, would they let go people they invested so much in (and who are pretty powerful themselves)?
And what of the countries that abandoned the XCOM Initiative? How much would they get screwed in the new world order?

I have been imagining scenarios about this, and the most obvious idea that comes to mind is some sort of World War III. Once the common enemy is gone, the victorious fight each other over the spoils of war! :D

Tbh I think WW III is a very likely scenario. I mean I don't think theres one country that would not want the spoils of war. Hyper Wave Relay, a highly advanced radar system which can probably be attuned to detect allmost anything. I mean if it was able to detect a cloaked temple ship, I'm pretty sure it can detect any of earths ships from anywhere on the globe. The genetics labs, essentially making super soldiers, what country would not want that? The MEC's, very durable alien macines, I'm damn sure all countries would want that. And what about the power sources that provide effectively close to infinite power, they could instantly replace oil and coal anytime, causing a probably huge uprising in the oil industry. And the fighter craft like the DEMON's, heavily weaponised ships flying faster than probably anything previously on earth. All this and more, I don't think they'd be able to come into agreement who gets what lol. Maybe they'd turn X-COM in a global peace order, making its job to make sure all wars are ended and effectively shut down anyone who tries to cause one? World War III is pretty much the only solution I can see to this lol. Any thoughts?

Thenlar

In regards to knowing each other, there's also a chance of a mutual third party acquaintance to break the ice. "Oh, you were in Charlie 1/5? Did you know Staff Sergeant Kozlowski?" "Oh shit, yeah. He was my platoon sergeant. The bastard NJP'd me for being five minutes late to duty." "Ha, the mofo hasn't changed. He was my squad leader when he was a sergeant in India 3/6."

It's pretty common in the US Marines, since it's a smaller organization with only 4 major duty stations to be assigned at.

Vlakvark

I'd say in regards to a WWIII scenario, I'd say while old hostilities would most assuredly return, I do think XCOM would turn into a global peacekeeping organization. Think about it, even if one filled every nation's request for gear, XCOM would still be the single technological superpower on the planet. Combine that with the fact it's an incredibly small organization with members from nearly every nation on Earth, it's probable that if any nation started any trouble, XCOM would try to either sort out the situation with diplomacy, and put them down if they fail.

So, XCOM would more or less become the United Nations, except it wouldn't be utterly ineffective.

Whiplash779

It seems that WWIII would be likely, considering the tech and resources X-COM came across during the invasion, but there is one thing to keep in mind: X-COM was a pretty clandestine operation. While they came and rescued civilians (okay, maybe not ALL the civilians they could, with Odd as the commander ;)) , no one really knew who it was that was helping them. I don't think X-COM soldiers have any kind of insignia on them other than their home country's flag. Hardly anyone knew about X-COM.

Also, in regards to the soldiers, it wouldn't be too difficult to remove/neuter the more drastic effects of gene modding (like mimetic skin) or to suppress the psionic abilities in the soldiers. Realistic skin to cover mechanical limbs isn't unheard of. I'm sure X-COM would take care to tie up any loose ends that remained. They would still be ready to launch the operation at a moment's notice, but they would fade into obscurity after their job was done.

Here's what I think would happen: after the alien threat is gone, X-COM would ready their soldiers and personnel to return to normal lives. Most of them will go home, leaving a skeleton crew to stay behind and maintain/defend the base. Those members within the Council would also resume their normal careers, keeping in mind that if anyone else were to know of the existence of X-COM and the resources and tech it now possessed, it could lead to World War III. The base, and all of its secrets, would be hidden away like the ghost bases of today's military. The only difference being, they are not protected by any one country's interests, but by the interests of every major country on earth. Everyone on earth would be thankful to those that halted the alien incursion, but they will forever wonder who it was that saved them.

P.S. in regards to MELD and weapons, you have to remember that at least 70% of our advanced technology was pieced together from stolen/recovered alien technology. Super soldiers on the level of MECs and more super weapons than X-COM released would not be possible, considering that whoever wanted them would have to get their hands on enough (and the correct) parts and someone with advanced knowledge to have the ability to make said weapon. It's just not possible if you're not X-COM itself.

Sanctume

Even with the destruction of the Temple Ship, it is unlikely that people in power would believe it's game over because there is still a huge possibility that the aliens will be back.

As for gene mods, cybernetic implants, and plasma, they rely on resource that is not of Earth. There will be shortage of MELD and Ellirium. That limited resource mostly in XCOM's hands.

Also, the funding countries--would it dissolve? Probably the poorer countries. But the richer countries will try to keep tabs with XCOM. Or XCOM will probably find ways to create profit from the learned tech help continue pay for its expenses.

For non-modded soldiers, it could mean just an end to a deployment or base assignment. It would be different for modded soldier, and I think XCOM has a lot invested on those modded personnel to just let me go back to being civilians.

There's still EXALT, or remnants of its origin, so it's still worth having them puesued by XCOM covert ops.

Gahlo

Even with the destruction of the Temple Ship, it is unlikely that people in power would believe it's game over because there is still a huge possibility that the aliens will be back.

As for gene mods, cybernetic implants, and plasma, they rely on resource that is not of Earth. There will be shortage of MELD and Ellirium. That limited resource mostly in XCOM's hands.

Also, the funding countries--would it dissolve? Probably the poorer countries. But the richer countries will try to keep tabs with XCOM. Or XCOM will probably find ways to create profit from the learned tech help continue pay for its expenses.

For non-modded soldiers, it could mean just an end to a deployment or base assignment. It would be different for modded soldier, and I think XCOM has a lot invested on those modded personnel to just let me go back to being civilians.

There's still EXALT, or remnants of its origin, so it's still worth having them puesued by XCOM covert ops.
Judging by the 2nd wave option for Elerium to have a halflife being called E-115, it's not unreasonable for elerium to continue post war. By having Elerium in a stable state, it could be examine and manufactured. Plasma tech relies on Elerium, making it a tech that follows suit. Meld all depends on the R&D being put into learning how to replicate it.

spencer pedersen

so I was thinking what about applying for positions like scientist or even pushing farther the head scientist lady or that guy who kinda states the obvious when you finish a mission whatever his name was like a.... like biographical thing... kinda... I don't have enough GPA to describe this right :/

I personally chose to avoid applying for Those characters, because of their role in XCOM is very significant and finding time to interact With the soldiers Would be difficult. I mean Dr.vahlen is the head scientist of XCOM, she spends most of her time in the labs. I can't Think of a scenario Where one of Them Would interact With a Soldier. But thats just me, maybe Someone else Can do it

Thenlar

Well, given that she does interrogations, Vahlen would probably speak to the soldiers who were on the mission where aliens were captured, in order to gain some insight into the creature's behavior before she began the torture.

Well that could get kinda tricky from a roleplaying standpoint, since most of the intergorations are done before the end of the video.

Gahlo

It's not like she's the only scientist. Not to mention that could be times where she pulls an officer or pilot in for input into how a research is going. Then there's other things like mess hall and rec/gym.

Taking a scientist and assuming their baselife's scope is only the labs is very unimaginative.

It's not like she's the only scientist. Not to mention that could be times where she pulls an officer or pilot in for input into how a research is going. Then there's other things like mess hall and rec/gym.

Taking a scientist and assuming their baselife's scope is only the labs is very unimaginative.

I wasn't speaking of the position of a regular scientist. I was speaking specificly about Dr.Vahlen. Hell, I'm applying for officer trainer/engineer, in no way is teaching going to be the only thing I do.

Brian

I don't know if this is the place to ask,but how do I know how many pixels tall my application is?Its quite long....

Thenlar

It's not the application that has the 200 pixel limit, it's the signature. That's the block at the very bottom of every post.

You don't have a signature at all, so you don't need to worry about it. (I don't have one either.)

Status
Not open for further replies.