X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grelite

While I barely participated in season 3, I followed it closely all the way, and I noticed a few things I want to make suggestions about for the next RP seasons.
These are some great suggestions, but allow me to address some things:

To your first point: this is what I was able to do until I could simply not spend that much time GMing because of University work from September onwards. Though I was never officially made GM, only there to manage applicants and maintain the rules, I tried to take on the role to preserve a consistent Universe for a consistent RP environment. Once my time spent on this became limited, I wasn't able to respond to issues before they already spanned two pages of characters interacting and correcting it then would have nullified much of that. As such I came with the RPs that I tried to use to translate what they had done to break the Universe into something that would not. In fact, I figured that it could lead to an interesting plot if people cared to understand what I had written. It was my only means of rectification and it was a little disappointing to see it be completely ignored.

That being said, I had already decided to decline the position as implied GM for another season, at least as long as I don't have the time to do such intense moderation.

As for your second point, I'd like to refer to a post I had made about the way I create characters in the discussion on Enemy Within, described here and in posts below it. Though this is not saying it is a mere three lines, but they don't tend to be character-defining as one might imagine from the description "efforts into the creation of their characters". Also: who would judge what makes a good character biography? What would be the specifications? It doesn't seem like something you can empirically measure. I figure you imagine that would be ChristopherOdd's opinion and judgement.

I certainly believe correct use of language is important and would love to encourage others to feel the same way. I suppose it could be considered part of "effort", rewarding the proper grammar and spelling the same way you do the content. It would certainly make the reading experience more enjoyable, but how fair will people feel that is when they have a tough time mastering the English language? As much as I'd like to correct everyone's mistakes and that they would do the same for me, I am not certain of how far this can be pushed.

As an added note, for those who still treat me like a GM: anything I say or do outside of Season 3 is without authority and based on my opinions and observations. I don't make rules, I don't have power, I know nothing about coming seasons or if they're even planned. I just know Christopher likes playing X-COM, as all of you do.

AaronBryant

I like that guys comment and chris would be the judge. Also to that example the purple eyes and tendrils are very obvious in game so i dont know why that was adressed also telepathy is shown at the end of the game when the volunteer pushes the people out the door so it would stand to reason that beyond mind over mind powers there would be mind over matter

Grelite

I like that guys comment and chris would be the judge. Also to that example the purple eyes and tendrils are very obvious in game so i dont know why that was adressed also telepathy is shown at the end of the game when the volunteer pushes the people out the door so it would stand to reason that beyond mind over mind powers there would be mind over matter
The game visualized psionics as a means of conveying the difference between normal soldiers and psionic soldiers to the player. If I had to interpret everything in the game as visually present in the Universe, there would be health bars over people's heads; glowing red borders around every area we land in and many other such things. Even so, the eyes never change colour and are never purple and never affect the physical with the exception of being near Gollop devices and the effect Rift and Psionic Lance have on robotic units because they have zero Will (game mechanics). Also, telepathy isn't the same as telekinesis and this telekinesis only manifests itself after the Volunteer interacted with the Gollop device.

killjoy00001

Can there possibly be places in the XCOM staff for people to role play as? Such as the scientists, engineers, heck even the medical staff, 'cuz then we can have a veiw on the base's ineer workings.

Gahlo

Can there possibly be places in the XCOM staff for people to role play as? Such as the scientists, engineers, heck even the medical staff, 'cuz then we can have a veiw on the base's ineer workings.
Yeah. People have done it in the past. I'm pretty jazzed about a scientist side character I'm gonna run with for S5.

dark sky

im not enlisted but I'm wondering what would commander one do with someone who's a good mechanic but lost both legs and an arm in an alien assault on Australia

Gahlo

Just asking but if someone how wants to join xcom but lost both legs and one arm what would comannder odd do
Eeeeh. That runs into the issue of trying to force a class onto a character that you don't really have any control over. I remember in S3, there was a lot of people that had something like "X is a top level sniper" in their bio, but it mattered diddly to the game's rng.

For example, what happens when it's your turn but he doesn't need a MEC trooper at the time? Does he just skip past you and you wait until he does, if he ever does again? That seems very unsatisfying to me.

dark sky

Eeeeh. That runs into the issue of trying to force a class onto a character that you don't really have any control over. I remember in S3, there was a lot of people that had something like "X is a top level sniper" in their bio, but it mattered diddly to the game's rng.

For example, what happens when it's your turn but he doesn't need a MEC trooper at the time? Does he just skip past you and you wait until he does, if he ever does again? That seems very unsatisfying to me.
OK

Gahlo

I'm just extrapolating on the situation. Yes, it is an RP and creativity is the goal, but the game puts some restrictions that you can't really get around.

I'm not staff in any form.

Straif

I'm honestly not even going to try for a squad-member character...I wanna play either one of the pilots like Gahlo did with Voodoo 37, or (my personal preference for some STRANGE reason) whatever poor guy has the job of flying the Skyranger.
Because, really...whoever that guy is, he was part of EVERY OPERATION...he would have some REAL interesting stories to tell.

Frostlich1228

im not enlisted but I'm wondering what would commander one do with someone who's a good mechanic but lost both legs and an arm in an alien assault on Australia

In season 3 they had a Rule which said that you could not reference the Aliens in your Bio, So you'd have to come up with some other reason for your Characters Disability, But overall it sounds like a good concept :)

dark sky

In season 3 they had a Rule which said that you could not reference the Aliens in your Bio, So you'd have to come up with some other reason for your Characters Disability, But overall it sounds like a good concept :)
Well me and a friend where just working on that if you want to help - conversation-what its like to be in the ranks of com Q&A

Straif

Well me and a friend where just working on that if you want to help - conversation-what its like to be in the ranks of com Q&A
You could have it be just a regular accident if you wanted to keep the missing arms and legs (which I don't suggest).

dark sky

You could have it be just a regular accident if you wanted to keep the missing arms and legs (which I don't suggest).
Well myself and a friend figured out that if I'm excepted into xcom by commander odd then that happens in a horrific mission and who ever is there can add it to there journal to add to the story line of s3

Straif

Well myself and a friend figured out that if I'm excepted into xcom by commander odd then that happens in a horrific mission and who ever is there can add it to there journal to add to the story line of s3
Might even wanna skip THAT...season 3's over. Your best bet would be Season 4 (what I assume to be the upcoming replay of Enemy Within once he finishes with his currently playthrough), and even then what seems to be the best, from my view and my experience as an RPer on other forums, is to make your character as simple as possible from the start and let the stuff HAPPEN.
No alien insemination (I saw that on one older post, I'm not kidding), no tragic, disfiguring accidents...say they're a good mechanic, and from Australia, and leave it at that.
There's not much you can do besides that.

dark sky

Might even wanna skip THAT...season 3's over. Your best bet would be Season 4 (what I assume to be the upcoming replay of Enemy Within once he finishes with his currently playthrough), and even then what seems to be the best, from my view and my experience as an RPer on other forums, is to make your character as simple as possible from the start and let the stuff HAPPEN.
No alien insemination (I saw that on one older post, I'm not kidding), no tragic, disfiguring accidents...say they're a good mechanic, and from Australia, and leave it at that.
There's not much you can do besides that.
I'll think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.