RP X-Com Role-Play Missions

BMPixy

The alien SHIVs fell to the floor with a thump, however the tank, devoid of power, had a much more interesting end. As it plummeted to the floor, the proximity mine below detected the motion, and detonated, blasting a hole in the weak under-armor of the tank and sending the front careening up a few meters before crashing back to the ground. A moment passed as Kwan got clear of the tank, and a secondary explosion rocked the vehicle, blasting the back of the tank to shreds.

A cheer echoed forth from the XCOM troopers as the tank was felled, however it was short-lived as the alien SHIVs reactivated and re-assumed their positions in the air. However, from above two sonic booms cracked through the air of the hangar, two trails of ionized air punching into the SHIVs.

Above, Fay did her best to keep her grip on consciousness, the strain of accelerating the two tungsten projectiles to such speeds draining her immensely. However, her efforts only managed to disable one of the SHIVs, the other turning to open fire on it’s XCOM affiliated counterparts, to which the Alloy and Hover SHIV responded with their own barrage of plasma. Under the combined fire of the two SHIVs and the XCOM troopers, the hostile mech collapsed to the floor, slightly molten from the heat of all the fire poured upon it.

“Alright. Now that’s the last of them,” Albert remarked, loading a new charge pack into his pulse rifle. “Well, for now, at least. Palmer, Quinn, check the inside of the tank for any survivors.”

“Roger that,” the assault trooper said, readying her Scatter Blaster as she and Quinn made their way around to the blown-out back of the tank. After a moment, she called out, uncertainly, “Uh, do any of the X-Rays bleed red?”

“Not that I’m aware of,” Wilson replied, running through his mental knowledge of alien biology.

“D-does that mean...?” Crystal asked hesitantly, his grip on his auto-blaster beginning to shake.

Albert cursed under his breath. “Sending out our own to take care of us. That Avaritia is really making a good case on why it deserves a hole in its head rather than a tazer.” Shaking his head, Albert stepped out from cover, taking a good look over the ruined hangar bay. “Right, let’s get moving. Formation, everybody!”

Quickly, the team returned to their original formation, conspicuous holes where the deceased troopers would have stood. A hand signal from Albert ordered the team forward, and they proceeded past the destroyed alien armor and through the blasted out doors of the hangar. Slowly the team moved through the winding corridors, barely wide enough for the tank that had passed through minutes before.

“Glad we didn’t run into that tank in here,” Malkovich commented, “We would have been nice and clustered up, one shell would have turned us into over-ripe tomatoes.”

“I would have survived,” Kwan retorted, “Takes more that one shell to down a MEC.”

“And that’s why they don’t make them one-shot weapons,” the Support shot back.

“Kill the chatter,” Albert cut in, “We’re approaching another room. Quinn, pop the door.”

“Got it,” the engineer replied, making his way over to the console beside the door, and he began tapping away at the controls as the team got into breach positions. A moment passed, and the door slid open, the team quickly filing in.

“Area clear,” Palmer said, lowering her scatter blaster.

“Looks like some kind of lab,” Trapp observed, the various holding tanks and medical benches making it obvious.

“Well, seems like our host isn’t much for the biological sciences,” Albert added, noting that most of the tanks were empty, though a few corpses laid upon the experimentation tables, some having their limbs replaced with mechanical equivalents.

“Hey, we got a side room over here!” Crystal yelled from the right wing of the lab. “Looks like we got people in here!”

“How many?” the Infantry asked, making his way over to the Heavy’s position.

“‘bout eight I’d say, must be some kind of test subjects.”

“Quinn, get over here and unlock this door! We need to-” Albert suddenly cut himself off, remembering the warning in his briefing that was confirmed by Emily. “Belay that, they might be Avaritia’s thralls. We’ll leave ‘em for clean-up.”

“You sure, sir?” Quinn said, half-way up the steps to the side-room.

“Yeah, not taking any chances with your lives. Let’s keep moving.” With a wave, the squad got back into formation, and made their way into the next set of corridors. Down the halls they proceeded, until they came across another door. Once more the team stacked up for a breach while the engineer hacked the doors and prodded them open.

As the doors slid open, the team was greeted by a barrage of hostile fire, intense but not as much as the team’s initial greeting. Palmer, So Ji, and Trapp rushed in, finding cover and providing supporting fire for the rest of the team to make their way in. Fay poked her head out from the left side of the door, scanning for targets. In hastily fortified positions stood three Sectoids, three Thin Men, and hovering menacingly in front of them was a single cyber-disc, accompanied by two drones. A single shot from Fay’s Blaster Rifle brought the drone count down to one, and she ducked back into cover.

“We don’t have time for these small-fry!” Albert barked over the din of fire. “Crystal, nuke the fuckers!”

“Roger that, firing rocket!” the heavy replied, raising his rocket launcher and leaning out from behind his cover. Lining up an ideal shot, he yelled, “Back-blast clear!” With that, the rocket shot forth from his recoilless rifle, blowing the alien’s cover to hell and killing most of the infantry, the remaining two Sectoids gunned down by Malkovich and Bandersnatch respectively.

All that stood was the cyberdisc, and a proximity mine-alien grenade combo from So Ji and Quinn ruined the alien mech, the two explosives blasting the cyberdisc into several large pieces.

After a tentative pause from the XCOM troopers, waiting for a secondary ambush, Temple called out, “Area clear!” With that prompt, the troopers lowered their weapons, keeping them at the ready just in case.

Glancing around and noting the various human vehicles in assorted states of disassembly, Albert remarked, “Well, glad we hit them before they could get any more of these vehicles operational.”

“Aye sir,” Laurent replied, reloading his pulse rifle, “We had a hell of a time just dealing with one tank, who knows what would have happened if we had to face-”

“Holy hell, is that a Maus!?” Charles exclaimed, pointing at a tank that far out-weighed every other vehicle in the lot. “I thought there was only one of those in the entire world!”

“The hell is a Maus?” Johnathan asked, examining the super-heavy tank.

“Experimental WWII German super-heavy tank,” the heavy explained, “Only two were built in the entire war, both prototypes. Both of them were captured by the Soviets, but one was destroyed. The other was kept in a museum in Mosc- so that’s where they got it!”

“Alright, enough with the history. I’m sure the Russians will be glad to get this piece of history back, and who knows, with the alien tech it might even be usable against the aliens,” Albert said. “However, we got a mission to finish. Let’s get a move on!”

A chorus of affirmatives echoed from the team, and they got back into their formation, heading for the opposite exit. Another series of winding corridors greeted them, and they steadily made their way through before reaching another door. As was the ritual, Quinn got on the console, while everybody else stacked up on the door.

As before, once the door was open, plasma fire poured into the entrance, but the quick movements of the breaching team ensured that the only damage was done to their armor. However, one thing caught the notice of the troopers as they sought cover in the barracks room.

“Humans!?” Trapp exclaimed.

Charles poked out of cover, and yelled, “Hey assholes, we’re humans to-” He was rudely interrupted by a plasma bolt to the face, the heat of the projectile bursting his skull apart in a small explosion of bone fragments and bloody giblets, the headless trooper falling to the floor.

“Dammit!” Albert yelled. “Murder those fuckers!” A few shots from his Pulse rifle downed the traitor responsible for the heavy’s death, while a single shot from Fay replicated his manner of death upon another.

“Repulse the Resistance!” one of the traitors exclaimed, “Protect Avaritia with your lives!” One of the enemy troopers hefted a rocket launcher, but a barrage of covering fire from Malkovich brought him down before he could fire.

Now even in numbers, Palmer took this as her opportunity to charge in, using her close combat training to deadly effect in the confined quarters of the barracks, her Scatter Blaster eliminating a trio of the traitors in rapid succession. A barrage of suppressive fire from Bandersnatch ruined the arm of the one shouting orders earlier, and he hunkered himself behind a sturdy crate, waiting out the SHIVs suppression as his comrades fell around him.

BMPixy

After three tense minutes of firefighting, all of the hostile troopers aside from the one suppressed by the SHIV were deceased. With a nod from Albert, Quinn dashed up to her position under the covering fire of Trapp, the SHIV taking a pause to reload, and brought out his Arc Thrower. With a quick press of the button and a flash of electricity, the traitorous human collapsed to the floor, unconscious.

“Alright, area secure,” Albert said. “I hope you guys all know what this means.”

“Next is Avaritia,” Fay clarified, to the grim nods of the troopers.

“I look forward to getting my hands on that asshole,” Palmer said, loading a new charge pack into her Scatter Blaster. “Randall, Shawn, Charles, that’s three too many names to be put on the wall.”

“Yeah,” Albert added, “Let’s get ready to move out. Prepare for breach.”

With those words, the remaining troopers stacked up on the door, and Quinn got to work.

After a silent countdown, Quinn tapped a few buttons on the wall console, and the door faded away, revealing the splendor of the Ethereal’s throne room. Hastily, the XCOM Troopers rushed inside, setting up behind whatever cover they could find.

“Alright Avaritia,” Albert yelled out from his position behind a pillar, “We can either do this the easy way, or my way! Make your choice!”

"Óchi!" A red-headed woman, likely in her mid-twenties, stepped out of the shadows. "Tha... Den boreíte na... áse mas í̱sychous!" ("You... You can't... leave us alone!") She held a large knife directly forward as she approached the soldiers, her hands shaking violently.

“Drop the weapon!” the Amero-Anglican barked, training his rifle on the approaching woman, his actions prompting the rest of the combat team to do the same.

A tear fell down the woman’s cheek, her eyes filled with terror. She stopped her approach as the weapons trained on her, but she kept the weapon raised. “He… he means to save Earth,” she said in a thick Grecian accent. “You should not be here! Please, just leave!”

“Its idea of salvation is our destruction!” Albert shot back. “If you value your life, drop the weapon and get down on the ground! This is your last warning!”

The woman slowly lowered the knife. After a moment, she raised it again, taking another step forward, she suddenly lifted it over head, like out a desperate scream. Suddenly, the knife flew out of her hand, embedding itself in the ground several feet to her right. “W… what?”

Caught off guard by the scream, Johnathan’s finger twitched on the trigger, a bolt of light shooting from the end of his rifle and striking the woman in her leg. The rest of the troopers almost opened fire after the first shot was fired, but some frantic yelling from Albert prevented the action.

The woman collapsed to the ground, tightly grasping her leg and crying in pain. She jumped as a voice boomed through everyone’s head.

How… dare you! Do you think I actually need you assistance, you contemptible woman!

The woman looked back into the room in shock. "Allá... allá egó̱ móno synantí̱thi̱kan gia na sas prostatéf̱sei... ópo̱s mou... kai o Kyriákos prostatév̱ontai... " ("But... but I only met to protect you... as you protected me... and Kyriakos...")

Enough! I’ve had my fun with you, but you have overstepped your bounds for the last time! Take your brat!

A small child ran from the shadows in the back, rushing into the woman’s arms. His eyes were filled with terror and panic. “Egó̱... den katalavaíno̱." (“I… don’t understand”)

Do you actually think your son likes me? He is terrified of me! I controlled him to control you! Now I suggest you leave! If you are still here when I am done with them, you’ll die!

“You asshole!” Albert shouted into the darkness. “Using somebody like that, it… it’s…” Words failed the Infantry, and he settled on starting a new sentence. “Come out and face us if you think dealing with us is so easy, and we’ll find out if justice comes from a bullet or a life as a battery!”

From the darkness, the Ethereal floated forward, a dark orange aura emanating from him. Three Muton Elites came forward, their weapons leveled. Avaritia folded his four arms.

Get this trash out of my way. I do not need her getting in my way.

“Jabberwock,” Albert barked at the SHIV. “Take the woman and the kid, get her out of here. Make sure she stays safe.” With a nod of the frontal camera, the SHIV rolled out into the center of the field, offering itself as a platform for the woman to lean on as she limped out of the facility.

Meanwhile, in a hushed voice over the in-squad radio net, Albert said, “Temple, get ready to blow that asshole back to the appropriate circle of hell as soon as the woman gets out of the way. After that, Johnathan, see about getting a chem on them.” Whispered affirmatives greeted him, as the two soldiers prepared themselves for the inevitable explosion of violence to occur.

Avaritia watched as the woman exited the room with her son. As they stepped through the door, he lifted his hand, and the door sealed behind them. The Elites ran in three directions, heading for cover as they opened fire. Avaritia raised a shield as the knife pulled out of the ground, shooting towards Fay.

With a shocked look on her face, Fay hastily reacted with her own telekinesis, reaching to try and stop the knife. However, she only succeeded in slowing it just enough that it only bit deep into her armor, drawing minimal blood.

A second later, a blast echoed forth throughout the entire room as Temple’s rocket detonated upon the shield. “Rocket ineffective!” the rocketeer yelled before being forced back into cover by the fire from the Mutons. Malkovich reconsidered the usefulness of a chem grenade, instead tossing a smoke grenade to cover the leading, and thus more exposed, troops from the oncoming fire from the Muton Elites.

A quick pair of shots from Albert wounded one the Elites, leaving them open to a Particle Cannon shot from So Ji to finish the alien off. Need to figure out a way to get past that shield, the Infantry thought, using the increased amount of time he perceived as wisely as he could. Easiest way would be to just batter it down, but that could take all day...

Holding his shield steady with his two left hands, Avaritia scanned the room. Lifting his right hands, four orange tendrils of energy shot forth. Weep with despair, humans! Your death will come all too soon. The psi-panic hit Albert, Quinn, Sharron, and Laurent.

The combination of neural dampening and mind shield stopped the panic from affecting Albert, and the latter alone ensured that Temple also was safe from the terror. Laurent’s teeth could be faintly heard chattering over the comms, but he held on as well, but Quinn was not so lucky, as terrors from the deepest parts of his psyche were brought before his eyes, and he huddled down behind cover and hid his face, trying to escape his visions.

“Dammit!” Albert yelled, “Somebody get Quinn back in the fight! Everybody else, covering fire! Take down the small-fry first!” A Blaster Rifle beam shot down range, courtesy of Fay, and impacted one of the Muton Elites in it’s weapon, heavily damaging the device. As the barrage of lasers, plasma, and particle beams from the XCOM forces picked up slightly, Palmer made her way over to the Engineer’s side, and began trying to prod him out of his panic for but a moment.

Son of a bitch… Avaritia held his lower hands forward, and lifted a single finger with his upper arms. Okay… try this one. He slowly circled his fingers around and around rhythmically. In the center of the room, a vortex of energy formed, growing in size as he circled his fingers faster and faster. Wanna go for a ride?

“W-what the hell is it doing!?” Trapp exclaimed in shock, as the rift continued to grow in size, beginning to eat away at some of the trooper’s cover.

“Doesn’t matter,” So Ji echoed from the MEC’s speakers, “Only concern is stopping it.” With a heft, the MEC fired off another particle cannon into the alien’s shield, the effect just as negligible as the last few shots poured into it.

Behind, Fay pulled a few more of the tungsten slugs out of her belt pouch and picked them up with her telekinesis. Too many observers for illusions. Preparing one round. Mass .38325 kilograms, expected velocity 2.5 kilometers per second. Expected kinetic energy output of 1197660 Joules. After a moment of drawing upon her reserves, Fay lined up the shot, and let the tungsten round fly with a mighty crack, the air ionizing as the round made it’s way towards Avaritia’s shield, the psion responsible nearly blacking out from the mental exertion.

BMPixy

The round smashed into the shield, the area around the impact physically manifesting and appearing to crack as the round punched through. It punched into Avaritia’s side, and the Ethereal physically faltered.

D… damn… didn’t see… that one coming. Very inventive, human. I’ll… have to end this quickly… Continuing to swirl one finger, Avaritia held his other hand forward. I… have a few… tricks of my own… A red aura glowed in his hand, and the rift suddenly erupted in flames. With a physically push forward with his hands, the Ethereal sent the fiery vortex towards the soldiers. An absent minded Elite rushed out of cover and was swallowed by the vortex, its thick armor acting as an oven.

“Oh shi-” Palmer managed to curse before the vortex overcame her and Quinn, the rift tearing them apart as the flames seared at the hunks of flesh that were split free from their bodies, their screams briefly escaping their throats before being cut off.

“Palmer! Quinn!” Albert yelled as the rift snuffed out the lives of the two, before turning his attention to the fact that the flaming vortex was still approaching the team. “Hey Fay, c-can you do that thing again!?”

“No sir,” she replied, hoarsely, “Strength is spent.”

“Dammit-” Albert managed to curse before cutting himself off. Think Albert… think! A quick glance saw So Ji take out the last of the Muton Elites before hurrying back away from the approaching whirlwind of fire. There’s only one option, as much as I hate to admit it… it’s our only chance of victory.

“A-alright Avaritia,” the Infantry shouted as the rift grew ever closer. With a deep breath, he said the two words he had hoped to never have to say. “We surrender.”

The rift suddenly stopped in place. Avaritia tilted his head slightly. Y… you do?

“What the hell Foulke, are you out of your mi-!?” Laurent shouted, but Albert cut him off.

“Can it, Wilson! I’m making this decision so that the rest of you can live! Now everybody cease fire!” With that order, all of the XCOM forces lowered their weapons. “Now, Avaritia. I am going to set down my weapons. I am going to walk over to the corpses of the soldiers you just killed, and retrieve their dog tags. Then, I am going to approach you, and kneel. We clear?”

Avaritia slowly lowered his upper hands. His shield remained, but the rift slowly shrank until it was gone. Very well, human. Go ahead.

Slowly Albert set down his Pulse Rifle and Blaster, and began making his way over to Quinn and Palmer’s corpses. With his right hand, he gathered their dog tags, but his left quickly slipped out and retrieved the luckily intact Arc Thrower from Quinn’s utility belt, the errant hand slipping the device onto the back Albert’s belt. Standing up, Albert made his way over to Avaritia’s position, whispering orders into his comms as he kept his hands raised in the air.

After a tense minute, the Infantry stood just below Avaritia’s position, a shoulder width away from the boundary of the Ethereal’s shield. Taking a moment to visibly swallow his pride, Albert bent down on one knee, lowering his head before the alien.

I must say, human, I am surprised. Avaritia bent down a bit, a delighted tone in his voice. Those that would put themselves in this position are few and far between. It is quite noble. I shall have to keep you around. I believe there are many misguided humans that can learn from your example. The Ethereal paused for a moment, as if realizing something. Wait, I… shit…

Albert’s head popped up, bearing a shit-eating grin. “Now!” he yelled, and fire poured out from the XCOM Troopers, catching the alien slightly off-guard, the shield barely being reinforced as pulse, plasma, and particle rounds bored into the shield. Seeing the Ethereal’s attention was focused on repulsing the sudden onslaught of fire, Albert leapt forward with a mighty shoulder check, straining against the shield for a scant few moments before bashing through and tackling Avaritia.

The imbalance in weight sent the two plummeting down, an outstretched hand from the human grabbing the Ethereal by the robes to ensure that they both tumbled down the throne’s steps. As the two finally impacted the floor, Albert mounted Avaritia’s chest, raining heavy punches on the Ethereal’s mask and neck, doing his best to ensure that the alien couldn’t focus on manifesting any psionic powers as well as cripple the frail alien.

Avaritia futile raised his hands. E… e-enough, please. You have won. Please, stop!

“Ha, you think I’d fall for my own trick!?” Albert roared. “I’m gonna beat you until I can see your eyeballs!” Armored fists continued to pour down on the Ethereal’s face, dents slowly forming on his mask as Albert shoved his way through the alien’s poor guard.

No trick! I am finished. Your sniper, her attack… I can no longer fight! Please, show me honor after your deception!

Albert paused, a fist raised behind him, ready to strike Avaritia. Albert contemplated for a moment, before throwing the one last fist into the Ethereal’s mask, cracking it slightly. “Right, and I have the perfect method for ensuring you don’t turn back on your word,” the Amero-Anglican replied, reaching onto his back and removing the Arc Thrower.

No! Avaritia used the last of his strength to telekinetically thrust Albert off him. The Ethereal attempted to rise to his feet, but collapsed again. He held up a desperate hand, and hand tightly grasping his side. Please, I… I beg of you. Do not take me alive. I… I can not do that to her. P… please.

Albert slowly stood from the position he had been tossed into, and slowly shook his head. “Can’t always get what we want, arschloch,” he said. “Besides, certain parties on base think that you might be of help winning the peace,” he added, a feral grin evident through his helmet visor.

Lifting the Arc Thrower once more, Albert snarked, “Welcome to Earth, motherfucker.” A quick press of the trigger, and a flash of electricity engulfed Avaritia, bringing the Ethereal to the floor once more, unconscious. With the need for adrenaline rapidly wearing off, Albert clutched his arms in pain, letting a short groan escape from his lips. He hastily waved off Laurent from approaching with a med-kit, instead popping his ring finger back into place.

"Right then," Albert said after a moment of silence, "Let's get onto clean-up." With a silent nod from the team, So Ji picked up the Ethereal's body, draped it over the MEC's shoulder, and the team fell into formation. With a wave of the hand from Albert, the surviving seven troopers and SHIV made their way out of the throne room.

DarkGemini24601

XCOM Mission Parameters
Primary Headquarters Defense II

Operation Stalwart Phoenix
Date
: October 4th. 2018
Time: Midnight

Briefing:

EXALT has begun their assault on our HQ. Reports are still coming in, but the information we do have suggests that they will be attacking us on two fronts. Operation Stalwart Phoenix will focus on the secondary entry point: our hangar.

The enemy bombers have destroyed the bay doors, and thus we can not prevent their entry. The firestorms were unable to respond in time and are now restrained by debris from the initial assault. This leaves us with no choice but to engage their troops directly.

Luckily for us, their entry is not exactly immediate, so we have time to get into position. A team lead by Major Ipiktok made their way into the upper rungs of the hangar, and will fire down on the disembarking EXALT troops from above. Her force will deal with any that go after her, as well.

The other team is designated to keep the enemy from leaving the hangar. Captain Papadoupolous will lead the second team to the ground floor of the hangar, and prevent the enemy from penetrating deeper into the base.

Number of soldiers for this mission: 32 : 16/16
Group 1 - Thirteen (13) soldiers accompanied by 1 Legion Robotic Trooper, 1 MEC Trooper, and 1 Chryssalid Hybrid
Group 2 - Thirteen (13) soldiers accompanied by 1 Legion Robotic Trooper, 1 MEC Trooper, and 1 SHIV

Soldier Names:

Upper Levels (16)
**Major (GSGT) Ipiktok, Atka (Scout) (Blue Psionic)
*LT 4 (GSGT) Adolfsson, Janina (Infantry) [Hyper-Reactive Pupils, Magnified Bicep Structure, Reaction Time Overclocker]
SGT Thomas, Mary (Gunner)
TSGT Cross, Ammelia (Sniper)
TSGT Dragomirov, Modya (Rocketeer) [Magnified Bicep Structure, Adaptive Bone Marrow, Neural Dampening]
TSGT Wong, Sarah (Sniper) (Blue Psionic) [Depth Perception, Muscle Fiber Density]
TSGT Nash, Kevin (Assault) [Smart Macrophages, Muscle Fiber Density, Bioelectric Skin. Neural Feedback]
TSGT Akizuki, Airi (Engineer)
TSGT Akizuki, Marina (Support)
TSGT Driver, Karen (Medic) [Adaptive Bone Marrow]
TSGT Smith, Kris (Gunner) [Magnified Bicep Structure, Reaction Time Overclocker]
TSGT Inderpal (Heavy) (Red Psionic)
TSGT Connor, Megan (Rocketeer) [Dextrous Muscle Fibers]
Legion Trooper (Heavy)
-Reserve MEC Trooper Isitoq, accompanied by Buniq (Orange Psion)-

Italics are player characters.

**Squad Leader
*Second in Command

Ground Floor (16)
**Capt. (GSGT) Papadoupolous, Fedor (Shogun) [MEC]
*TSGT Eva Aegerter (Infantry) [Iron Skin, Adaptive Bone Marrow, Smart Macrophages, Hyper Reactive Pupils, Adrenal Neurosympathy]
TSGT Ashley Van Dam (Medic) (Blue Psionic)
TSGT Wayne, Damian (Scout) [Adrenal Neurosympathy]
TSGT Murphy, Kelly (Sniper) [Hyper-Reactive Pupils]
TSGT Sutherland, Colin (Assault) [Iron Skin, Adaptive Bone Marrow, Aerobic Respiration Boost]
TSGT Koslov, Maxim (Infantry) [Adrenal Neurosympathy, Hyper-Reactive Pupils]
TSGT Andre, Adele (Engineer) [Bioelectric Skin, Magnified Bicep Structure]
TSGT Malkovich, Johnathan (Support) {Shadow}
TSGT Grey, Dorian (Medic) [Iron Skin]
TSGT Yamazaki, Ryan (Gunner) {Warrior}
TSGT Reston, Jay (Heavy) [Magnified Bicep Structure, Muscle Fiber Density]
TSGT Shake, Letz (Rocketeer) [Magnified Bicep Structure]
TSGT Ogedei (Muton Heavy Trooper) [Adrenal Neurosympathy]
Legion Trooper (Assault)
Hover S.H.I.V. Unit 2: "Jubjub"

**Squad Leader
*Second in Command

Gear: Players' characters' will be equipped with the following supplies:

- Primary weapon: Either a Pulse Stengun, a Pulse Carbine, a Pulse Rifle, a Heavy Pulse Rifle (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Scatter Blaster (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Pulse Sniper Rifle (Sniper), a Blaster Rifle (Scout, Sniper), a Pulse Autoblaster (Gunner, Heavy), or a Gatling Pulser (Gunner, Heavy)

(Blaster Launcher for Heavies and Rocketeers, Particle Cannon for MECs, Superheavy Plasma for SHIVs)

- Armor: Banshee Armor, Aegis Armor, Titan Armor, or Seraph Armor (Four Shadow Armors also available)

- Secondary Weapon: Either a Laser Pistol, a Blaster, or a Hand Scatter Plasma Blaster (H.S.P.B.)

- Equipment: Two (2) of the following; a medikit, combat stims, alloy plating, reinforced armor, chitin plating, a battle scanner, an AP grenade, an alien grenade, a psi grenade, a smoke grenade, a chem grenade, a ghost grenade, a high-capacity magazine, a targeting module, a mind shield, or an Arc Thrower.

(Chameleon Suit available for Scouts, Shredder Rocket for Rocketeers)

Details:

The Hangar is composed of several levels. There is the ground floor where the enemy dropships have landed, and then four levels of fighter craft. Half of the enemy forces will engage our troops on the ground, while the other half will attempt to pursue those firing down from above. You may be forced to fall back a level or two, but it is highly advised that you do not let the enemy corner you. The EXALT clones are known to be practically suicidal in their determination.

Cover for the upper levels of the hangar will come in the form of thick guardrails, more akin to those found on highways, crates, and the tough alloy of the firestorms themselves, if necessary.

The ground floor will be laden with crates and equipment that you can use for cover. It is advised that you avoid the forklifts, however. For some reason, they are notoriously volatile.

Enemies:

Upper Level (42)
Two groups of ten (10) EXALT Troopers
Two groups of eight (8) Paratroopers
One group of four (4) Elite EXALT Troopers
Two “Paratrooper” Pathfinder MECs

Ground Floor (36)
Three groups of six (6) Paratroopers
Two groups of six (6) EXALT Troopers
One group of six (6) Elite EXALT Troopers
Josephine Rodriguez piloting a customized bomber (shown below)
Massive-Black-GI-Joe-VTOL-01_1338577914.jpg

Special Enemy Notes: Josephine will be attacking from the safety of her bomber. The Paratrooper MECs are in MEC 2 Defenders, equipped with jetboots, flamethrowers, and grenade launchers. They are using railguns.

Conditions for Completion: The complete repulsion or elimination of all enemy forces.

Civilians: All civilian staff and refugees have been safely evacuated to the holo rec-room.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
XCOM Mission Parameters

Operation Valkryie’s Charge
Date:
October 4th. 2018

Briefing:

EXALT has begun their assault on our HQ. Reports are still coming in, but the information we do have suggests that they will be attacking us on two fronts. There is a third factor that must be considered, however.

Reinforcements are still coming in at the surface. This, we cannot allow. A team lead by Captain Stewart will exit the secret hangar and intercept the enemy before they have a chance to bolster their current forces.

Caution is advised, should the bombers have any more ordnance, but they seem to be done for now. Be warned, there will be more than just the typical EXALT grunts we are used to exiting those dropships.

Number of soldiers for this mission: 21 : Sixteen (16) soldiers accompanied by two (2) Legion Robotic Troopers, two (2) SHIVs, and one Android MEC Trooper.

Soldier’s Names

Main Unit (19)

**MAJ 4 (GSGT) Stewart, Jack (Assault)
*GSGT Albert Foulke (Infantry) [Neural Dampening, Reaction Time Overclocker]
GSGT Amelia Fischer (Support) (Luxuria’s Curse)
TSGT Anderson, Sven (Sniper) [Cybernetic Leg]
TSGT Fay Henderson (Sniper) (Yellow Psionic)
TSGT Orlov, Nika (Heavy) (Blue Psionic)
SGT Krause, Kieran (Engineer)
TSGT Wayne, Damian (Scout) [Adrenal Neurosympathy]
TSGT Beckett, Maggie (Infantry) [Hyper-Reactive Pupils]
TSGT Summers, Holly (Engineer)
TSGT Townsend, Devin (Support) [Adaptive Bone Marrow]
TSGT Wilson, Laurent (Medic) (Green Psionic)
SGT Muthambi, Masambe (Gunner) [Iron Skin, Adaptive Bone Marrow, Bioelectric Skin])
TSGT Trapp, David (Gunner) [Magnified Bicep Structure]
TSGT Temple, Sharron (Rocketeer) [Muscle Fiber Density, Depth Perception]
TSGT Jacobs, Scarlet (Rocketeer) (Purple Psionic)
Hover S.H.I.V. Unit 1: "Jabberwock"
Alloy S.H.I.V. Unit 1: "Bandersnatch"

Android MEC Trooper “ALICE”

Backup Unit (6)
Chief (Infantry/Assault)
Hawke (Sniper)
Bull (Gunner)
Fox (Scout)

Legion Trooper (Sniper)
Legion Trooper (Support)

**Squad Leader
*Second in Command

- Primary weapon: Either a Pulse Stengun, a Pulse Carbine, a Pulse Rifle, a Heavy Pulse Rifle (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Scatter Blaster (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Pulse Sniper Rifle (Sniper), a Blaster Rifle (Scout, Sniper), a Pulse Autoblaster (Gunner, Heavy), or a Gatling Pulser (Gunner, Heavy)

(Blaster Launcher for Heavies and Rocketeers, Particle Cannon for MECs, Superheavy Plasma for SHIVs)

- Armor: Banshee Armor, Aegis Armor, Titan Armor, or Seraph Armor (Four Shadow Armors also available)

- Secondary Weapon: Either a Laser Pistol, a Blaster, or a Hand Scatter Plasma Blaster (H.S.P.B.)

- Equipment: Two (2) of the following; a medikit, combat stims, alloy plating, reinforced armor, chitin plating, a battle scanner, an AP grenade, an alien grenade, a psi grenade, a smoke grenade, a chem grenade, a ghost grenade, a high-capacity magazine, a targeting module, a mind shield, or an Arc Thrower.

Details:

Upon exiting the secret hangar, you will soon come into combat as you advance. While you are distracted, an EXALT force will get into the hangar before the doors close. You must press on though. For now, all we can do is warn the reserve force inside that they have company incoming.

The EXALT planes are landing at the foot of a familiar cliffside. The squad will traverse the rocky Siberian tundra in order to get there. Rises in elevation and large boulders should provide plenty of full cover, both for XCOM and EXALT. Move carefully, and do not be afraid to use the mechanized troops to take a few hits from the swarms of enemies.

Once you reach the enemy landing zone, you will find the bulk of their forces. There, the backup team will engage their own enemy while the rest fight their hardest against the EXALT horde.

Enemies:
Four groups of six (6) EXALT Troopers
Two groups of six (6) Elite EXALT Troopers
One group of eight (8) Paratroopers
One group of eight (8) PMCs

Special Enemies:
‘PMC’ MEC Trooper (Goliath, heavily armored and resistant to damage, in a tier 3 “Paladin” suit. Equipped with a Laser Lance, an alloy carbide plate for damage reduction, a alloy belt for more armor, a core armoring to protect the pilot, and an EMP Pulse)
Odin (Assault/Infantry)
Thor (Gunner/Rocketeer)
Tyr (Sniper/Support)
Fenrir (Scout/Medic)

Conditions for Completion: The complete repulsion or elimination of all enemy forces.

Civilians: All civilian staff and refugees have been safely evacuated to the holo rec-room.

Last edited:

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
XCOM Mission Parameters

Operation Ironclad Gigas
Date
: October 4th. 2018

Briefing:

EXALT has begun their assault on our HQ. Reports are still coming in, but the information we do have suggests that they will be attacking us on two fronts. Their primary area of attack will be our front entrance. It appears Viktor will be satisfied with nothing less than a Blitzkrieg.

This time, however, we will not be starting from Central. We have enough time before the doors fall to get into position in the Forward Guard Station. We might be pushed back to the MEC bay, and even to Central, but we shall not let XCOM fall. The aliens failed, and so will EXALT.

Number of soldiers for this mission:

Soldier’s Names

XCOM Delta Section (10)
Field Commander 5 (MSGT) Aya Brea (Scout) (Blue-Green ‘Psionic’)
GSGT Desmond Walker (Engineer) (Red Psionic)
TSGT Christel, Sylvia (Scout) (Yellow Psionic)
TSGT Martinez, Sergio (Sniper) (Blue Psionic)
TSGT Gregory, Ryan (Assault) [Iron Skin]
TSGT Lopez, Alicia (Infantry) (Purple Psionic)
TSGT Griffith, Nicolas (Medic) [Smart Macrophages, Adaptive Bone Marrow]
TSGT Brankino, Pastel (Heavy)
TSGT Wagner, Christine (Rocketeer) (Orange Psionic)
TSGT Kwan, So Ji (Goliath) [MEC]

Legion Omega Section (15)
Mistress Elene Exalt (Acting Infantry) (Purple Psion), “White Queen”
(E) Subject 158: "Emma" (Shadow Operative) [7. 10, 15, 16, 17] (Purple Psion), “Knight”
(E) Subject 158: “Vee” (Destroyer) [4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16+, 17, Body Enhancements], “Bishop”
(M.E.S.H.A) A.V.A.N.I.X (Any Role) [Mech], “Black Queen”

(A) Subject 169: “Julio” (Sniper) [5, 13, 15, 16]
(A) Subject 171: “Jarone” (Scout) [3, 6, 8, 9]
(A) Subject 164: "Sergin" (Assault) [6, 8, 11, 12]
(A) Subject 160: "Guillermo" (Infantry) [1, 5, 13]
(A) Subject 161: "Diego" (Engineer) [9, 12, 13]
(A) Subject 167: "Tian" (Medic) [3, 11]
(A) Subject 166: "Luis" (Gunner) [1, 8, 13]
(A) Subject 180: “Hidalgo” (Rocketeer) [7, 15, 17]
Legion XVIII (Shadow Variant)
Legion XIX (Shadow Variant)
Special Legion Frame, Designation: “Black King”

**Squad Leader
*Second in Command

Details:

This is our final battle against EXALT. Intel suggests that Viktor Dorian is leading the assault here, along with the Private Military Contractor. We must engage and defeat them.

The main force will engage Viktor and Logan’s troops, but more than likely Elene and her entourage will confront Viktor directly, and Logan and Desmond may be drawn into a battle.

Enemies:
Five groups of four (4) EXALT Troopers
Two groups of six (6) Elite EXALT Troopers
Two groups of eight (8) PMCs
One group of three (3) EXALT MEC Troopers (MEC-1 Wardens: Laser Lances, Autoloaders, Alloy Carbide Plating. A Marauder with Kinetic Strike Module, an Archer with a Proximity Mine Launcher, and a Guardian with a Restorative Mist)
One (1) Unidentified Enemy (MEC-2 Defender: Railgun, HEAT Ammo, Counterfire Pod, Holo-Targeter, Flamethrower)
One (1) Unidentified Enemy [Iron Skin, Hyper Reactive Pupils, Magnified Bicep Structure]

Special Enemies:
Viktor Dorian (Infantry/Engineer) Aegis, Gauss Heavy Rifle, Hi-Cap Mags, Alien Grenades Red Psionics - Body Enhancement, Telekinetic Shield, Telekinesis

Logan Wade (Assault) Banshee, Laser Rifle, Reinforced Armor, AP Grenade [Hyper Reactive Pupils, Iron Skin, Adaptive Bone Marrow]

DarkGemini24601

Operation Stalwart Phoenix, Part 1
(Hangar Upper Levels)

The sound of armored boots against the steel floor of the hangar bays resonated as Atka ordered her troops to get into position. Airi, Marina, Sarah, Kris, Megan, and Atka went to the thick railing of one side, while on the other end of the vertical hanger, Kevin, Karen, Mary, Ammelia, and Janina were instructed to do the same. Modya held back with the Legion heavy, prepared to send rockets at the descending EXALT troopships, but Atka called for him to hold his fire.

“Don’t waste the blaster bombs on the ships, there’s no guarantee that it’ll do enough damage to be worthwhile. Most of them have landed anyway, our job is to take them out the second they exit those craft,” the Major explained.

Inderpal, on the other end with Atka and her squad, lowered his rocket launcher as well, and picked up his gatling pulser, going to the railing. “Understood.” Isitoq covered the stairs up with his MEC suit, having his particle cannon trained downwards.

Janina glanced over at Buniq, who had followed the XCOM forces up here, and was now as stuck as the rest of them. “What should I do about her, Major?”

“I-I c-can f-fight w-with the rest o-of you, t-that’s why I-I c-came with you,” the hybrid protested.

Atka sighed. “Let her. We could use all the help we can get, and it’ll take more than a bit of laser fire to crack chryssalid plating. Just promise me you won’t be reckless, Buniq,” the Inuit woman instructed over comms.

Buniq nodded, even though Atka couldn’t see well from across the chasm. The hybrid closed her amber-tinted eyes, and the scattered plating protruding from her skin rose out to cover it entirely. This time, there was some blood, but not nearly as much as before, and the skin mostly molded to allow the plating to come forth. To Buniq, it was nothing more than a slight sting that quickly subsided as her innate healing mended the cuts.

Ammelia looked up at her with a look of determination on her face, “I’m not going to let them hurt you.” She said, quickly checking her rifle before setting up to fire.

Mary lifted her gatling pulser onto the concrete railing, setting up the weapon so she could rain pulse blasts from above on command. Karen took cover in the middle of them and did the same.

The last of the dropships landed behind Josephine’s attack aircraft, shielded from the forces defending the tunnel to Central by her forces, and troops started to pour out of them. These groups seemed intent on pursuing the entrenched enemy upstairs. The first group was ten regular EXALT troopers, all in carapace armor and wielding laser weaponry. They immediately rushed towards the stairs, splitting into groups of five for either side.

“Alright, open fire now!” Atka fired off a shot from her blaster rifle, tearing a hole in the side of a EXALT trooper’s armor but failing to kill him. Megan soon corrected this with a shot from her pulse carbine, tearing through the side of the clone’s helmet.

“Are they nuts?” the Brooklyn rocketeer wondered aloud as Kris and Sarah each used their own style of firing, scattered and precise, to kill two more. “They won’t make it all the way up to the second floor like that.”

Mary turned her weapon to face the stairs, gunning down the first two soldiers that made it up, “‘At ‘er stupid!”

Karen took aim at the third one up, hitting him in the shoulder and allowing Ammelia to blast a hole straight through his chest.

The last two on Lieutenant Adolfsson’s side made it up, and Buniq stood in their way, along with Kevin. The latter grinned. “Here’s Johnny!” he shouted as he blew one over the railing with his scatter blaster.

Buniq ‘unsheathed’ her two clawblades from the sockets above her wrists, and stabbed one into the remaining enemy trooper. As she pulled it out, the hybrid noticed hints of healing already starting. Adaptive bone marrow...but it won’t be enough. Grimacing, she thrust the other into the man’s chest, ending his pain.

The laser fire from the last two EXALT troopers on the shield was interrupted by the sound of grappling hooks as the doors of another dropship opened. Taking full advantage of the distraction of the mindless clones, eight paratroopers pulled themselves up to nearly the level of their enemies. Though they were only at the top of the stairs, the four on either side leapt into the midst of the XCOM troopers with muscle fiber density, and opened fire with gauss weapons.

Atka hit the power to the jets of her seraph armor, and dodged the shots with her lightning reflexes, gathering the attention of three of the paratroopers on her side. Good, focus on me… One of them ignored the scout, however, and their gunfire managed to penetrate Airi’s armor, tearing into her shoulder.

“Airi!” Marina called out in anger, and opened fire at the lighter-armored paratrooper, scoring a deadly hit. Satisfied with the retribution, she pulled out a medkit and did her best to mend her sister’s wound.

Ammy took two quick shots at the approaching enemy soldiers before giving her weapon time to cool down. The first went searing through her target’s head, however the second paratrooper quickly dodged, getting caught in the leg before they slid behind a crate.

Modya managed to shoot one square in the chest as they sought cover, but the sound of more boots implied another wave of ten EXALT troopers were on their way. “Pull back!” Janina ordered, offering a bit of covering fire, not wanting to be the last one up, Kevin remaining at her side.

DarkGemini24601

Atka took up the same strategy as the lieutenant, having her forces fall back to the third level. Isitoq managed to take out one of the leftover EXALT troopers, but the Inuit woman quickly looked away from his success to check on the other eight. Her eyes widened as one of the three paratroopers on Janina’s end lined up a sniper rifle shot at Mary’s back from behind cover.

The angle isn’t good enough for a reliable shot, I have to do something though! Atka thought hurriedly, and flew over, unable to keep an eye on her fuel for now. Closing to about eight feet, the scout lifted a hand, and formed the beginnings of one of her icy helixes. The psionic projection was infused with imbuing, tinting it a darker blue. Atka let it fly as the paratrooper did the same for her shot. The wider-than-normal helix had gone off first, though and intercepted the bullet. The powerful alloy round cracked the double-helix, but was stopped it its tracks by the enhanced telekinetic manifestation. “No...you don’t…” Atka muttered, a bit woozy from the rapid exertion.

Ammelia’s eyes widened as she pulled out her blaster, hitting the enemy sniper in the arm with a quick shot. The blast caused him to drop his rifle, making him an easy target for the Legion trooper as it covered Mary’s exit.

Mary looked over to Atka and let out a deep sigh before falling back to a higher position, not having enough time to thank her.

The remaining five paratroopers on the field seemed content to remain in defensive positions for now as the ten regular EXALT troopers made it to the second floor. The one straggler from the first wave continued onward though, and was quickly taken down by a shot from Sarah as she and the other XCOM troops reached the third floor. “No concept of self preservation,” the Chinese sniper muttered.

When the five EXALT troopers on either side made it, however, they were instructed by the paratroopers to hold position. Obeying, the clones took defensive positions and started firing. Most of them seemed intent on suppression, but two started to reach for recoilless rocket launchers as the injured paratrooper was healed by a medspray. The pneumatic hiss of dropship doors sounded the arrival of the six Elite EXALT troopers preparing to head upstairs.

“Modya, Inderpal, give them hell!” Atka ordered, rising up in the center of the split XCOM forces. The Russian and Indian both smiled, and pulled out blaster launchers. The smartbombs shot out of their barrels, and guided themselves through enemy fire into the midst of the two EXALT groups. The blast took out 3 EXALT troopers on the right, and one paratrooper, while on the other side two paratroopers perished, and one EXALT trooper shared their fate.

Their cover mostly destroyed, the two remaining paratroopers on the right side fell back out of sight behind the grounded firestorm, accompanied by their two clones. On the other end, two EXALT troopers managed to do the same, but the other two were stranded out in the open.

The British gunner raised her weapon and tore the right-most trooper to shreds with a volley of charged energy as her sister turned and fired a shot that punched through the skull of the second one before grabbing cover behind a large steel crate.

The four Elites made it up to the second floor in groups of two. One on the right was shot by Atka as she touched down, not making it to concealment, but the other three did. It was only moments after that four more paratroopers came up for each side. Isitoq managed to blast one mid-grapple, leaving only three on the right, but the other seven vanished from sight as well.

“What are they planning?” Modya said worriedly. “They cannot just hide in there forever.”

Buniq glanced between Ammelia and the Russian as an eeiry silence fell over the upper levels of the battlefield. “W-What do y-you t-think?” the hybrid asked the sniper.

“They might be trying to sneak around somehow… That’s what they did last time we were entrenched like this…” She replied, looking for any way the enemy could circle them.

“‘Net ‘ett’in ‘at ‘appen again...” Mary mused, watching the stairs with her Pulser.

The last of the dropships, shaped unusually, opened its doors, and out of it stepped two MEC-2 Defenders. They were wielding railguns in their mechanized hands, and there was something modified about their robotic boots. On their backs were grenade launchers, their arms flamethrowers. Their helmets had darkened glass over the face, with black-and-white wings painted on the sides. “Special delivery!” the first one said in a feminine, robotic-sounding voice. “It’s trouble, and make it double!”

DarkGemini24601

Operation Stalwart Phoenix, Part 2
(Ground Floor)

The door between the tunnel from Central and the ground floor of the main hangar split open, and the XCOM response team rushed into the field, taking cover behind the abundant crates lying on the ground. The exceptions were Fedor, who stood ready in his MEC-3 ‘Paladin’ suit, aiming his particle cannon forward, and the Hover SHIV “Jubjub” that hovered at his side.

“Got here a little late,” the Shogun MEC Trooper noted, looking over the abundance of dropships as they started to unload their troops to send after Major Ipiktok’s team. Preventing Fedor’s squad from coming to their aid, however, was the other half of the EXALT troops, in position below and in front of a bomber.

“Ah, so their backup has arrived,” a voice crackled from the speakers of the Phantom Wings plane. “Well then,” Josephine said to the six paratroopers and six regular EXALT troopers that had taken cover beyond her hovering craft. “Open fire!” Rail-accelerated bullets from her troops, and lasers from Viktor’s, answered the command, commencing the battle.

“Fucking hell!” Eva said, “Well I guess this saves me the trouble of finding Viktor. But looks like he’s giving it his all here. Good, the sooner I take out these pests the sooner I can find him.” Eva started to open fire at the Exalt troops while looking at the aircraft above her.” Damn it. Yo Capt what do we do here?”

Fedor grimaced as the bomber opened fire, a spray of gauss fire from its twin turrets tearing holes in his armor, if not getting all the way through. The Shogun wisely took concealment behind a large crate. “That thing packs a hell of a punch. We have to deal with the fodder on the ground first though, can’t have them interfering with the amount of firepower it’ll take to bring it down. Though I wouldn’t mind a rocket hit or two if we can fit them in.”

Ogedei nodded. “Save strong for last.” The Balmadaar pressed the button on one of his alien grenades, and lobbed it at the cover of about four EXALT troopers. The one in the center of the blast died instantly, while the other three were exposed.

“They’re exposed. Ash, Koslov, Colin, light them up with me.” Eva, Koslov, Colin and Ashley opened fired on the three exposed EXALT soldiers, taking them out. Eva started to giggle after killing one of the soldiers, and uses her Blood Call to aid the rest of XCOM. “God I love using that, there's just something about it. I don’t know what, but I love it. Alright keep them pinned down, Infantry/Gunners. Ash stay in the back anyone that is hurt well bring them to you.”

“Right,” Ashley said. Ashley went behind the gunners giving them back up.

A spray of bullets from Josephine’s airplane offered counter-suppression, but it was focused on Jay and Letz. “Something tells me...shit!” Jay shouted as a chunk of the metal crate melted beneath the onslaught, thinning his cover.

“She doesn’t want us to go with the rocket plan,” the German rocketeer finished for him.

“Right…” Fedor knelt down behind his concealment, and angled his proximity mine launcher up to land in the midst of the paratroopers, letting it fire. The Phantom Wings forces panicked at the sight of the explosive, and tried to run away, triggering its sensors. The powerful explosive detonated, taking out five of them and removing another chunk of enemy cover.

Fortunately for Josephine, another dropship arrived to unload its cargo. Six more paratroopers piled out, taking cover further back. Most of them were equipped with long-range weapons like alloy strike rifles or gauss machine guns, and opened fire from a distance. One of them glanced Jubjub with a long rifle, the HEAT elements blowing off an armor plate and leaving the SHIV vulnerable. It flew behind Adele’s cover, and the engineer pulled out her arc thrower to repair it. “Poor guy.”

“Ou that was beautiful seeing those MEC, alright now we might have an advantage.” Eva started to open fire at the EXALT troopers.” Hay capt any orders for me to do?”

Fedor tried to peer around the corner of his cover to take a shot, but pulled back as a spray of LMG fire was directed at him. “Take out their gunners and the sniper with HEAT so me and Jubjub can get back in the fight,” the Shogun requested.

“You got it.” Eva took Colin Dorian, and Wayne. “Hay Muton can I trust you? Because I’m gonna need your help.”

“Of course,” Ogedei replied, lifting his gatling pulser. “Lead the way.”

Eva got a smile on her face. “Perfect, alright let’s give our Captain and our friends some breathing room.” Eva, Colin, Dorian, Wayne, and Ogedei moved forward. “Ogedei you and Wayne plus Dorian go for those gunners to give me a path to that sniper can you do that?”

“Gladly,” Ogedei answered, and sent a wave of suppressing fire down the path of the gunners. Colin followed up with a flushing shot that allowed the other three to take out the three troublesome paratroopers.

Perfect, Eva started to open fire at the sniper, causing the sniper to move “Got you.” Eva fires at the sniper filling him with pulse. “One sniper down, nice work everybody.”

Ogedei grinned beneath his mask, and blasted down another EXALT trooper. “Four remain.”

“Let’s make that zero,” Jay decided as the bomber was reloading, pulling out his blaster launcher. He fired the projectile, but in the middle of the battefield, it was stopped by a countermeasure. One of the missile pods on Josephine’s craft unleashed a storm of small missiles that detonated the blaster bomb earlier, and destroyed Jay’s cover. Jubjub rushed to his defense, as another wave of troops arrived. Six Elite EXALT troopers joined in the fight.

“Huh worthless copies, do you fools really think you compare to me and Desmond hell even Vee? You're nothing but failed imitations.” Eva opened fire at the Exalt troops, killing two of them.

Kelly scored a hit on of the last two regular EXALT troopers on the field, and the Legion Robotic Trooper closed its distance on the other and blasted him into oblivion with a scatter blaster. “Target down,” the collective A.I. stated.

Josephine growled in frustration. “Come on guys, are we going to lose to them! Let’s do this!”

The last three dropships touched down, six paratroopers and six regular EXALT troopers arriving from them. The third unloaded two MEC troopers that promptly headed upstairs after Atka’s forces.

“Looks like your friends are going to roast against those Pathfinders,” Josephine taunted. “And you’re next.” She punched a button on the side of her cockpit, and the other missile pod fired, releasing its payload.

Frostlich1228

Operation Stalwart Phoenix, Part 3

(Hangar Upper Levels)

The two MECs quickly rushed towards the back end of the stairs, and rockets flared beneath their feet as their jetboots came to life. The two sprung up the pathways at an alarming rate, and soon the Pathfinders were at the second floor, one for either side. “Screaming Resolution, sister?” the second enemy MEC Trooper asked, Megan’s pulse carbine glancing off his armor.

“Seems appropriate,” the woman replied, and both knelt down. Their grenade launchers fired.

“Get away from the railing!” both Atka and Janina shouted, falling back. Nevertheless, Kevin and Buniq took a hit on the left, the former losing a bit of blood onto the metal floor as the blast tore through his titan armor. Buniq was injured, but the light wounds quickly healed, the chitin on her arms and stomach being damaged for now.

The cover for the XCOM troopers was destroyed, and the two Phantom MECs proudly started to march up the stairs, their nine companions for each side quickly following behind the armored frontliners. “Dammit, fall back to floor four!” Atka shouted, and activated her jetpack again. Stretching out both of her hands, two mindfrays hit the MEC troopers. While their mind shields helped them shrug off any risk of hallucinations, their movements did feel sluggish, buying the retreating XCOM forces precious time.

“Psionic bitch…” the female Pathfinder growled. “Brother, keep them from retreating any more. Let’s corner these rats!” The two EXALT MEC Troopers made it to the third level, and fired their second and last round of grenades in a high arc. They impacted with the stairs to the fifth and highest level, and blew them out, preventing their foes from falling back again as said foes dug in on the fourth floor.

Mary turned around and looked at the remains of the steel staircase, “Bloody ‘ell…”

Ammelia took careful aim and fired at the canopy of the MEC, the powerful shot cracked the reinforced window heavily but didn’t break it. Karen pulled an alien grenade off her belt and rolled it down the steps towards the enemy forces, most found cover quickly, but a few were too far away from nearby cover and were caught in the blast.

“Shit, Carter, be more careful…” the female Pathfinder muttered, before firing up in Ammelia’s direction, blasting a hole in the side of her cover, while the other MEC shot across at Isitoq, damaging his armor.

The two remaining elites on the left side provided covering fire with autolasers, while the 3 paratroopers pulled a daring move. They leapt as high as they could with their muscle fiber density, and then grappled across to the fifth floor, flanking the XCOM troops. “Holy…” Janina gasped, turning around to kill at least one of them before the other two made it to high cover.

On the right side, there was more firepower, and they specifically targeted Inderpal, Megan, and Modya on the other side, forcing them into concealment to prevent them from firing rockets… or so they thought.

Modya chuckled beneath his helmet, pulling out his blaster launcher. Sweat was beaded on his forehead, and he was scared, but he had a plan. “I will have to thank Sunny for these later.” He fired a blaster bomb, and it took a course around the wall of the hangar bay, colliding with the healthier EXALT force. The blast thundered with satisfaction, while Modya let out a sigh of relief as the firepower dimmed, the last two regular troopers and a paratrooper having been melted by the explosion. The Pathfinder on that side found her outer armor in shambles from the HEAT elements present in the guided missile.

“How...the fuck…” the EXALT MEC Trooper mumbled with a mixture of surprise and terror.

The heavy legion frame turned and faced the paratroopers on the fifth floor. It used it's powerful servomotors to leap up the wreckage of the stairs, putting itself into a position to flank the enemy troops. It opened fire at the closest one, firing two blasts, the first connected with the leg and blasted through, sending him falling to the floor. The next stop connected with his head as the frame took aim at it’s second target. However, the vulnerable frame took a hard shot in the arm from the second floor, leaving it inoperable. The paratrooper turned to finish the legion off but a searing sniper rifle blast shot through the steel of the fourth floor tore through his chest, ending his plans. Ammelia gave her weapon a chance to cool as Mary suppressed as many exalt soldiers as she could.

Carter shook his head. “We’ve only got one option now, Sevesa.”

The female Pathfinder swore. “That’s it! Charge!” The two MEC troopers rushed forward, followed by the remaining nine EXALT troopers, containing four paratroopers and an elite on the right, and two elites on the left.

Kris lifted his autoblaster, his cybernetic implants allowing him to react quickly. “Desperation, huh?” the grizzled Australian asked to no one in particular. “Looks like it’s over for you.” Pulse laser fire blasted out of his weapon, melting through the already-damaged armor of the Pathfinder Sevesa, and killed the pilot inside, sending the MEC crashing down as a roadblock to its followers.

Atka and the others lifted their weapons, Airi tossing an alloy AP grenade to soften the enemy up. Two paratroopers escaped the carnage with grapples, going over to the other side desperately.

There, Kevin lit the enemy up with his shotgun-class pulse weapon, killing one of the last two Elites. After a powerful shot from Isitoq, only the two paratroopers remained, staring into the amber eyes of a chryssalid hybrid with fear.

Buniq looked over the two human combatants with pity. “J-Just s-surrender...i-it’s over,” she pleaded.

The two looked between the guns pointed their way, and shakily lowered their weapons.

Carter grimaced. “Don’t listen to this half-alien bitch, we can still win this!” With the enemy’s guard down, he lifted his railgun, and prepared to fire at Buniq.

Ammelia quickly slid her rifle over, almost fast enough to cause sparks, and took a quick shot at the Mec-2. Mary followed suit, unleashing a rain of burning pulse fire at Carter. Ammelia’s shot went straight through the barrel of his railgun, causing the gauss weapon to explode, and covering the mec in fire. Mary’s barrage slammed in the chassis of the machine, forcing him to take a step back against the railing. Another snap shot from Ammy burned a hole through the gas tank on Carter’s arm, igniting the gasoline for a enormous explosion that sent the charred remains of the Mec hurdling over the edge and down to the first floor. The grating sound of metal against metal filled the hangar as the forces on the upper floors were finally put to rest.

Buniq retracted the chitin plating back to its normal levels, wincing a bit as she did. She outstretched her hands. “Y-your w-weapons. I p-promise y-you w-won’t be h-hurt,” she told the two paratroopers. They exchanged glances, but complied, giving up their armaments to the hybrid.

Atka flew over to the other side with what remained of her fuel. “Glad we didn’t have to kill e-” the jets sputtered and died out, and Atka grabbed the railing to prevent herself from falling. Janina ran over and dragged the Inuit woman up.

“Careful,” the Lieutenant muttered.

Atka slowly stood up, embarrassed. “Sorry...have to remember to keep an eye on the fuel level.” She smiled at the chryssalid hybrid. “Not half-bad, Buniq.”

“T-Thanks…”

“Yeah, you did great out there.” Ammelia added, wiping beads of sweat from her brow.

“Mmhm, weh’ ‘owed ‘ose bastards net’ te’ fuck wit’ us.” Mary replied as she stood up, the adrenaline of the moment beginning to fade. She gripped her side a little, looking down at her stab wound and winced, “‘Eh ‘ould’ve brought eh’ ‘ighter gun… Who ‘ought ‘ese ‘airs were ‘eh ‘ood idea?”

“I prefered it to them just coming up in shielded elevator doors at us,” Megan offered, and turned around to face Modya as he came out. She raised a palm.

“...Megan…” the Russian began.

Megan bit her lip, giving him a frustrated look. “Come on…” She grinned in victory when Modya accepted her high-five. “That’s the way.”

Karen walked over to Mary and looked over her old stab wound, seeing other but a dark bruise, she looked back up at her. “Good thing it’s almost entirely healed, a few days earlier and you would’ve run the risk of tearing it back open.”

The Gunner sighed, smirking a little, “‘Ood, ‘eh ‘on’t ‘ink ‘eh ‘ould ‘ake eh’nother sex-less week.”

Atka rested her palm against her forehead, slowly shaking her head. Janina glanced over at her CO and chuckled. “At least they’re lively.”

“Yeah, yeah,” the Inuit woman mumbled in response.

Last edited:

Dahlexpert

Operation Stalwart Phoenix, Part 4

(Ground Floor)

Fedor stepped between Eva and the others and the incoming missiles, taking the hits himself. The damage to his suit was severe, even if the pilot was unharmed, and he found his suit wasn’t currently responding. “Shit…”

“Capt! Damn you bastards. Muton get the Capt to cover.” Eva started to open fire at the ship you bastard, get down here and face me!”

Ashley tackled Eva and brung her to cover. “ Hey, you're a leader, you can’t just go nuts out there. look just take a breath while we give the Captain some cover.” The XCOM forces focused fire on Josephine.

The plane wavered under the barrage, Josephine having to pull her bird back momentarily. The remaining eighteen EXALT troops provided quite the barrage however, as Ogedei and JubJub managed to push Fedor back into concealment. Adele did her best to restore him to operational status.

“Think you can manage another proximity or two, sir?” Andre asked him.

Papadoupolous glanced at his intact launcher. “Think so…” He knelt down again, and fired off another two proximity mines amidst the paratroopers and elites. This time they weren’t so foolish as to move however. “Someone needs to hit them with another explosive and set them off…”

Josephine seemed to come to the same conclusion as Fedor, and did her best to suppress the two XCOM soldiers with rocket launchers again, while the Elites and Paratroopers suppressed the others. Only the regular troopers actually fired with the intent to kill, but none of them could manage such a shot.

Eva started to calm herself down and started to fire at the EXALT elites. “Right, I’m back. Let’s give our rocketeers some cover. Alright, Assault’s move forward, engineers get some grenades out there, Kelly try your best to pick them off , now let’s see if we can get that bastard out of the sky.”

Adele pulled out one of her grenades behind cover, and Ogedei did likewise. “No sense in having them shoot our ordinance midflight,” the engineer explained. “Counter suppression, guys!” Maxim, Jay, Letz, Dorian, and Ryan answered the call, and Damien rushed out of cover, drawing more of the enemy’s fire to clear up the battlefield a little.

Jubjub landed a hit on the aircraft’s front guns with his HEAT superheavy plasma, and melted off the nose and the two gatling gauss guns.

“Well done, Sunny,” Adele muttered. “Now, big guy!” She and Ogedei flipped around opposite corners, and tossed their grenades onto the proximity mines. The results were destructive. Four Elites and four Paratroopers were consumed in the thunderous blasts, and the other four combined were out of cover. They were easy targets for Eva and the rest of the shooters, who cleaned them up quickly. Only the regular EXALT troopers were left over.

“Aw I almost feel sorry for them...but not really.” Eva, Ashley, and Wayne opened fire at the regular EXALT forces wiping them out. “Wow i’m so used to fighting alien I forget that these things can cut through humans pretty easily. Eva said. Now all that’s left is that flying bastard.”

Josephine looked down at her wrecked guns and sighed in distaste. “Well, I guess it’s rocket time.” She went to press the appropriate buttons, but was stopped as there was a thunderous crash and the sound of rending metal. “W-what the-?!” Upon further inspection, Josephine could see that one of the Pathfinders had tumbled down from a higher floor, and destroyed her entire right wing.

The plane spun out of control, and the XCOM forces did not waste the opportunity. “Bye, bye,” Jay muttered, and both he and Letz let their rockets fly. The blaster bombs made contact with the plane, and it, and Josephine Rodriguez, were consumed in a tremendous blast.

Ashley walked up to Eva and put her hand on her soldier “Not bad Eva not bad, Hay capt how are you holding up?”

Fedor glanced down at his shredded suit. “The suit’s seen better days, but I think I’m fine.”

Ashley walks up to Fedor to check his injures herself. Eva walks behind Ashley kneels down to the Captain.

“Sorry Captain, sorry that your suit got damaged because you had to protect me.”

The Shogun waved a short-circuiting hand. “Don’t worry about it, that’s what I’m here for. You did a hell of a good job, Eva. Especially when we were up against a plane, of all things.”

Ashley looks at Eva. “I second that,I told you you would make a good leader.”

“Aw you guys are going to make me cry,” Eva said. Any way I just hope that Vee, Elene, and Lily are doing OK, Jean to.” Eva balled her fist. “Well, let’s have the captian rest, then we’ll find everyone else.”

BMPixy

A Collaboration Between Adrammalech, MarineAvenger, and BMPixy
Operation Valkyrie's Charge
XCOM Headquarters, Secondary Hangar
October 4th, 2018
0000 Local Time

Emily’s team hefted on the last pieces of their armor, the imposing helmets of XCOM’s most advanced armor sets sealing into place. The large hangar lift waited as six, then eight, then twelve people piled on.

Emily tucked a finger under the tall collar of the Shadow Armor, stretching it ever so slightly for a reprieve from its tightness. Although her group was standing on the lift to the surface with her, and she knew many other faces, there was no playful banter, no aggressive jokes, and no stories of a better place. The kinship was forged in a more subtle link, that between a group of people defending their home. The lift creaked slightly as a large MEC suit walked onto it, a massive robotic goliath that Alice’s battle-ready form was secured in. Emily looked up at the young android with apprehension.

“Ready for this, Alice?” she asked.

“Affirmative,” the robotic voice boomed out from the suit’s collar. The tone reminded her of a kid trying on their dad’s business suit and trying to play the part. “We’re going to…do this!”

“Damn right we are.”

Another group of soldiers rushed towards the lift, their leader immediately recognized as the soldier Emily had met just a few days ago.

“Oi, hold the lift!” Albert shouted from the front of his pack of soldiers. A moment passed, and the pair of fire teams filed onto the lift, taking a moment to catch their breath from the dash from the armory. “Right, Gunnery Sergeant Foulke reporting,” the man added as he took a position near the front of the group.

“Anyone else behind you Foulke?” Sharron asked in a serious tone. “We need to get topside as soon as possible.”

“Nah, as far as I can tell, we were the last group sent this way, the rest are prepping for the main defense,” Albert replied, shaking his head. “Though I heard we might get back-up topside.”

“So we’ve got...sixteen, plus the mechanicals,” Dallas pointed out. “Should be good. We’re ready to go.”

One of the soldiers pressed a button and the lift began to ascend slowly into the air. “God help us…” One whispered from the group.

“We don’t need God, we have firepower,” Nika replied, her eyes faintly glowing green as she said it.

“So long as it is applied correctly,” Fay added, running some final checks on her Pulse Sniper rifle.

“Remember we have the SHIVs for mobile cover and a ton of grenades between all of us,” Emily reminded everyone, “keep track of what you have and use it wisely and we’ll all get out of this.” She looked down at the Pulse Carbine in her hands, getting ready to use it for the first time. She looked over to Albert, giving a slight grin. “Fancy seeing you again so soon.”

“Yeah, hopefully this time you aren’t going to ask me to grab some EXALT as well,” Albert replied jokingly. “Had a hard enough time trying to take care of your first request.”

“I’ve been meaning to thank you for that,” Emily shook her head. “But don’t worry, no mercy for these bastards.”

Albert’s expression hardened. “Good, wasn’t in my modus operandi anyways.”

The lift came to a halt with a screech and the doors to the surface opened slowly. Unlike the places XCOM usually fought, there were no emergency sirens or screams of terror, rather, it was a foreboding silence only broken by spats of gunfire from afar and below.

Two black jets streamed across the sky towards the squad’s position, the aircraft giving off little noise for their hasty approach. Both ships quickly touched down about a hundred yards away and dropped of their personnel before taking off again. Six regular troops and six Elites went sprinting for what little cover there was behind rocks and even in some of the foxholes that resulted from the carpet bombing and began to fire at the group, two Elite gunners laying down heavy suppressing fire.

The squad ran for whatever natural cover there was, but most had to resort to the holes on their side of the firefight, the cover proving extremely temporary as the gunners’ suppression began to churn the earth they hid behind. Emily threw one of her chemical grenades at the gunners, forcing them to relocate and their stream of rounds to stop as they coughed out the toxins. Dallas tossed his battle scanner into the air, getting a map of the EXALT troopers’ positions in the bombed-out holes and relaying it to Scarlet Jacobs, the purple psionic, for redistribution.

The squad worked like an alternating firing line, challenging any of the basic troopers who popped up to fight against their superior firepower. Meanwhile, Foulke and Beckett advanced along the left-flank of the fire-fight, keeping pace with and using the SHIVs as cover as the two worked their way around the side, popping out from behind the armored vehicles to spray fire at the EXALT forces and either down the troopers or force them to more exposed positions. The regular troops were quickly cut down by the joint assault, and the Elites soon found themselves outnumbered and flanked by the SHIVs and Infantries. A combined barrage from the two XCOM gunners made short work of one of the bulky EXALT gunners, and a shot from Alice’s MEC suit ripped through the other.

As the squad had been distracted, a third aircraft had slipped in low and entered the secret hangar of the base, the squad being able to do nothing about it.

“Damn,” Albert cursed as he spotted the craft finishing its descent into the base. “Hey, somebody get on the horn and let the reserve forces inside know that they’ve got additional company.”

“Look out, Hangar team,” Dallas said on his radio, “you’ve got forces incoming, one small craft running quiet.”

“Affirmative, we’ll handle it,” an unfamiliar voice responded.

“Nothing we can do about that but keep moving,” Dallas continued, motioning for his squad to advance.

“Right, I’ll take point with Wayne and the SHIVs,” Albert said, circling around front with the aforementioned Scout and mechanized units.

Shots came from the forest on the right flank of the squad as twelve regular EXALT troops ambushed the team. From the direction they were, a large stone plateau indicated the training grounds that a few soldiers had used over the period of time at XCOM, that being a likely place for the EXALT troops to be coming from.

“Time to test my new toy,” Emily said, activating her suit and fading from sight. “I’ll see you on the other side.”

“Right boys!” Albert barked as a laser shot whizzed past his head, “Let’s push these arschloch back to their maker! Muthambi, Trapp, Bandersnatch, Jabberwock, suppress ‘em! Summers, Krause, frags on their positions! Stewart, you do what you want because you’re the CO! Everybody else, do what Stewart says!” With that, Albert dashed forward into cover behind a heavy tree, popping off a couple of beams and downing one of the EXALT troopers.

“Alice, take point and armor up,” Dallas ordered the mech, “let’s get some guns behind those legs. We’ll give ‘em something to look at!”

Alice moved her suit into the center of the action, taking a few shots before pulling her legs and armor together, becoming a solid block of steel. Nika rushed forwards behind her, slinging her gun and pulling out her launcher. Just before she got to the cover, a loud buzz fired from the back of the EXALT forces, Nika falling back with a large gauss round in her shoulder. Wilson the medic rushed in behind her and pulled her the last few inches to safety.

“Are you okay?” Alice asked worriedly.

“I-I’m fine,” Nika groaned as the medic sprayed a kit into the puncture.

“We’ve got snipers,” Dallas shouted, “Sven, Henderson, can you take care of them?”

A pulse beam from the rear of the formation answered Dallas, lancing into the forest and striking down the offending enemy sniper. “Dealt with,” Fay said, “Moving to next target.”

One of the EXALT troops nearby exclaimed at his dead comrade, pulling out a large jet black launcher from his back. As he dealt with the safeties and began to aim, Emily emerged from behind him, her eyes glowing their intimidating orange. She lifted the rocketeer and two of his comrades in a blinding purple whirlwind, the EXALT grunts hurling curses and panicked shouts as they whipped around at dangerous speeds. With a single motion, the force stopped and the EXALT soldiers flung out in different directions, some colliding with sharp rocks hidden in the tundra, and some with each other. The rift gone, Emily quickly dove into the nearest cover and waited out the cooldown on her stealthing abilities.

Masambe Muthambi let out a victorious cry as his gatling pulser connected with two of the panicking EXALT troops, their bodies spraying a shower of crimson as they crumpled down. Sven blasted a headshot through one, and Dallas used the chaos to close the distance and dispatch one with his shotgun. The remaining EXALT troopers standing panicked and tried to retreat, only to be cut down by Albert and his suppression squad.

As the last EXALT member fell, Alice relaxed out of her defensive posture and stepped away, Wilson helping Nika to her feet.

“You alright, Nika?” Dallas asked worriedly.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine…” she groaned as she stood up straight. “As long as the painkillers keep up, at least.”

The squad leader gave a quick nod and looked back over the tundra. “They’re starting to look pretty thinned out, we should press our advantage and work our way to the main hangar to cut them off once and for all.”

Last edited:

BMPixy

Operation Valkyrie's Charge, Part Two

“Yeah, with the main team keeping them occupied, we should be able to catch them in the classic pincer,” Albert said, loading a new charge pack into his pulse rifle. “Aliens tried to take this place and failed, what makes EXALT think they even have a chance?”

“I guess when you try to shoot all your allies and then try to replace them with yourself, it creates a lack of good ideas,” Dallas smirked.

“Yeah, I think that man saw the saying ‘if you want something done, do it yourself’, and jumped to the wrong conclusions,” Albert jokingly replied.

“That’s the trouble with clones,” Emily said, rejoining the group, “they take everything too literally.”

“Let’s get moving back towards the hangar, and everyone stay frosty. These guys may have been easy, but they could still have some surprises,” Dallas said, turning the mood back to professional.

“Indeed. Skirmish won, but not battle,” Fay commented, scanning the tundra for any more threats.

For now, the immediate area was clear but back up at the plateau, multiple black VTOLs landed on the summit and zoomed off, indicating where the group was to head next. Through the forest and to the summit of the rocky cliff.

“Right, we got EXALT up on that plateau,” Albert observed, watching as VTOLs flew off. “Probably for the best that we take care of them before they try anything tricky.”

“Damn, if only they sat still for a moment, we still have our rockets,” Dallas shook his head and then started hoofing through the snow. “Stick together and let’s check it out. Don’t fire unless they start shooting, we want as much set up time as possible.”

As the squad made their way to the VTOLs landing spot, they surveyed the area and the troops that were dropped off. The trees thinned as the reached the rocky land mass, six Elites standing close together at the bottom in the open, seeming to be going over some plans and whispering to one another.

“Looks like the elite troopers, judging by the gauss weapons,” Dallas said quietly. “Any ideas for an approach?”

“Hit ‘em with all the explosives?” Sharron Temple suggested.

“Sounds good,” Nika groaned, shouldering her launcher again.

The two rocket-bearers stepped forward and prepared to fire a shredder-explosive combo, hoping to wipe out the group in one sweep. The shrapnel-heavy rocket hit first, the larger spread managing to hit five out of the six of them. The highly-trained troops quickly fanned out though, the second rocket only managing to take out two of them as the remaining four dashed into cover. One of the EXALT elites picked up his own recoilless and pointed towards the group, aiming quickly and firing towards the two rocketeers.

Emily jumped in front of them, trying to use her psionics to stop the rapidly approaching projectile. She visibly strained as she slowed the rocket to a halt, trying to emulate the examples of telekinesis she had seen before, but the action giving her a splitting headache. She tried to send it back towards the EXALT group, but only managed to fling it away, the projectile blasting harmlessly in the snow as Emily fell to her knees.

“Oi! Somebody get some suppression on those EXALT!” Albert yelled, as he sprayed fire at the enemy rocketeer, forcing him into cover after a glancing shot to the torso. “Somebody else, go and grab Fischer!”

“Remove their cover,” Fay asked, drawing several of the tungsten projectiles out of her pocket, and grabbing them with her telekinesis. “They shall be dealt with,” she finished, beginning her calculations and lining up the shells for firing.

“Gotcha!” Summers shouted in response to the sniper’s request, pulling a pair of alien grenades from her belt, and tossing them at the EXALT Elites in attempt to deprive them of their cover and hopefully their lives as well. The blasts eliminated one of the remaining troopers, and left the remaining three deprived of cover. With a mental shrug from Fay, three of the shells rocketed off, leaving a trail of ionized air behind them as two of the Elites were pierced and killed by the projectiles, the remaining trooper collapsing to the floor. Fay’s consciousness blurred from the strain of using her psionics, but she remained awake.

As Emily got pulled back towards the snipers, Nika and the two gunners stepped forwards with suppressing fire, picking off the last of them as he scurried for cover. The squad fanned out around the plateau, looking for any remaining forces as they used the position to scout.

“A lot of troops by the hangar. It’ll be a hell of a fight,” Dallas remarked. “Wait…”

The victory was short lived, two rockets and gunfire erupting above them as paratroopers quickly descended on their position as well as a volley of gunfire from the forest behind the squad as eight PMCs closed the distance as well, a perfect pincer maneuver.

“Shit, it’s a tra-!” Albert managed to exclaim before the blast from one of the rockets drowned out the sound of his voice, the Infantry reflexively hunkering down as the gunfire came down from above. At the rear of the formation, Fay reflexively flicked on her Stealth Armor and dashed away from the incoming hostiles, seeking out another position to set up for firing. Emily did the same, her image blinking away.

Dallas clicked on his radio, trying to measure his voice to not seem too panicked. “This is the flanking team, we’ve been ambushed on a plateau just overlooking the hangar, we need backup, A.S.A.P!”

The gunners pointed their massive guns upwards, trying to connect with the paratroopers as they floated down. The SHIVs and Alice moved towards the forest, hunkering down so they could service as cover against the approaching enemies while taking shots at them. Holly Summers and Kieran tossed a fan of three smoke grenades around the group, buying them valuable time to find cover, with Scarlet Jacobs working as a human radar once again.

“Who are these guys in the forest? They don’t look like normal EXALT guys,” Damian asked.

“Doesn’t matter, they don’t look friendly,” Nika growled, getting behind one of the SHIVs.

Alice fired her Particle Cannon downrange, colliding with trees and troopers alike. Each shot was more measured than the last, and she left several pieces of their cover a smoking wreck, along with two of their bodies. Sven and Wayne took shots as well, dropping two more of the mercenaries. Emily hid behind one of the trees as she began to channel her Psi Panic, sending horrible thoughts and hallucinations into one of their minds.

“I could get used to this,” Alice mused, enjoying firing at long range at the invaders.

“Keep up the pressure, don’t give them any cover!” Dallas ordered.

Nika helped the psionic section of the assault by sending a mind fray towards one of the mercenaries, but was surprised when her attack fizzled out. The trooper she tried to effect was swiftly put down by Sven after a brief reload, and the cover-denying shots from Alice soon had the mercenaries corralled into a single spot. Nika lifted her launcher again, and without being interrupted, fired a shot into the center of them, spare pieces of shrapnel and wood flying in every direction from the blast point. She gave a slight grin, but quickly groaned and held her shoulder, the backlash from the blast making her wound feel even worse.

Near the center of the squad, Albert was directing fire at the incoming paratroopers, the assembled guns of the squad cutting down the cover-less troopers as they drifted down from above. “Shoulda waited to hit the ground before trying to take us on!” the Amero-Anglican yelled, a burst from his pulse rifle nailing one of the paratroops in the chest, piercing through his light armor and killing the paratrooper. A single pulse shot echoed from the back of the squad, striking down another of the drifting hostiles, as Fay decloaked, having found a more fortified position near the rear of the squad.

Another score of bursts echoed forth from the impromptu anti-air troopers, and the last of the airborne hostiles died, their bodies gently slumping to the ground as their descent finished. For a moment, silence reigned over the plateau.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Operation Valkerie's Charge Part Three

Chief arrived just after with his squad in tow, his three other Elites and two Legion frames but looked around at the carnage. “Seems like you guys had one hell of a fight out here.”

“Yeah, they came from the sky and the trees,” Dallas said, “but they were split up, easy pickings with superior firepower. We could still use you for the next engagement, though.”

The next engagement found them however as four troops descended from the plateau and landed with a crash, but the four looked unharmed and their weapons were out. These were not normal enemies, these guys looked almost like direct copies of the Elites.

All looked at one another but Chief gave out an unexpected order. “Pull back. This is our fight.” Chief looked at the team. “Now!”

The squad turned, the two Legion frames going with and went back into the forest, daring a glance back at the new enemies until the trees obscured their sight.

The Chief copy stepped forward. “So you are the rogue Elites huh? It is a shame you had to betray our organization. You could have been useful allies.”

Hawke raised his rifle. “Who are you guys?”

The imitation Chief smiled. “I am Odin. Leader of the Valhalla Squad.”

The imitation Hawke raised his rifle at the original. “I am Tyr.”

The imitation Bull crossed his arms, his heavy gun strapped to his back. “Thor.”

The imitation Fox stepped forward. “And I am Fenrir.”

Odin looked over the four deserters. “We already know who you are, so no need for anymore introductions. ”

“So it comes to this. A battle between the two great EXALT creations.” Chief stated.

Odin nodded. “Yes, and it shall be a battle for the ages, won’t it be...Chief?” The imitation grinned.

Chief nodded and his men threw their guns to the ground, this battle being decided not with weapons, but with themselves. Odin’s men did the same and the two teams went head to head, the originals taking on their imitations.

Chief and Odin collided, both of them grabbing each others punches and making a move to block the others attack.

Tyr and Hawke both drew combat knives and went at it, swinging the blades at one another while dodging the others weapon, a dance of death that would have been beautiful if not for the intenseness of the deadlock.

Thor and Bull both charged headlong at one another, the two catching each other in a hold that neither could overcome, and both of them slamming their heads together, the force of the blunt blows drawing a bit of blood from both heads.

Fox and Fenrir’s fight was more quick paced and fast, each having considerable speed and mobility but the fight was less of a struggle on their part, Fox’s fighting focused more on being conservative while in comparison, Fenrir was a lot more ferocious with his attacks, resulting in the battle quickly turning to Fenrir’s favor.

The battle raged as a slight snowfall came down and the opposing squads held their own against their counterparts. Blow for blow, block for block, the two seemed to be in a struggle that would last forever. We are getting nowhere with this, we need to switch things up. Chief thought to himself. “Squad, switch it up. You know who to take!”

Odin and his men were confused but the Elites knew exactly what to do. Under a slash, Hawke slipped to the side and started for Thor as Bull switched his target to Odin. Chief went to stop the uneven match between Fox and Fenrir but that left Tyr without an opponent as Fox was scared enough fighting a copy of himself, this leaving Bull to take on the power team of Odin and Tyr.

With the switched up battle, the Valhalla clones were caught off guard and this gave the Elites an edge. Hawke’s quick thinking and constant switch up of his tactics became too much for Thor to try and match and Hawke quickly began to land hits on the big clone.

Bull clenched his jaw in anger at having to fight two of his squads copies but although it seemed an uneven fight, it was quite the opposite. Bull used his big size to his advantage, full well knowing the two’s combat capabilities after constant training sessions against the men they were based off of.

Fenrir had nearly taken Fox out of the fight, the Elite scared to be fighting a copy of himself. Fox was backed up against a tree and after Fenrir got past his weak defense, he pulled out a blade and he jammed it into Fox’s side. The small clone yelped out in pain but Chief was there on Fenrir, grabbing the back of the clone’s armor and throwing him backwards.

Chief looked at Fox worryingly, the blade hitting a weak spot in the scout’s armor but the protection was doing its job and stopped most of the blade from going in, not hitting anything vital but would leave the clone unable to fight with the discomfort.

Chief turned and faced Fenrir, who was already rushing at the leader. Chief easily blocked the light attacks the clone did but fighting a version of Fox was disheartening. Every time he would go in for a blow he would hesitate slightly and ultimately lose his chance to land it.

Finally, with the stalemate broken, the tide of battle quickly turned in the Elites favor, Hawke landing a slice on the Thor’s hamstring and brought the large clone down, ending his life quickly with a stab through the back of Thor’s neck.

Odin looked over and saw his big clone go down and his eyes widened in shock. “Thor...no…”

Bull took the opportunity of the Valhallan leader’s attention being elsewhere and punched the imitation Hawke square in the jaw. The sniper stumbled backwards and leaned against the rock face as Bull wrapped his large hand around Tyr’s face and slammed the back of his head against the rock, instantly killing him as his skull gave out.

Odin quickly turned. “Tyr…”

Fenrir gave out a yelp and Fox had jumped his imitation from behind, a branch in hand and was choking out Fenrir with the makeshift weapon with as much strength the little scout could muster. With a quick jerk, Fox snapped his neck, the copy scout soon falling limp and Fox falling back in shock.

“Fen…” Odin whispered. Odin stepped back, not prepared to see his squad lying dead. “How...how did we lose?”

Chief grimaced. “Cause we are a team. We know our strength, and our weaknesses.”

Odin fell to his knees. “Thor...Fen...Tyr…” The most unexpected move was all was seeing the clone leader shed a tear, “Brothers…”

That word shook Chief to his core. No...it can’t be. No...no…

Odin put his face in his hands. All four of the Elites were too shocked for words, Chief being the worst one. Odin removed his hands and they hung to his side, the clone looking utterly defeated. “I will meet you soon.”

Chief’s eyes widened, yelling out and raising his hand as Odin had pulled a pistol from out behind him. Before he could reach his copy, the trigger was already pulled and Odin fell over dead. Chief fell to his knees before the slumped over corpse of himself. “What did we do…”

There were no words to be said about their victory. The battle in their eyes, ended in unexpected disaster.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Operation Valkerie's Charge Part Four

As the rest of the combat team, bolstered by the addition of the two Legion troopers, made their way away from the site of the engagement, they found a nestled trail along the south-eastern edge of the plateau, just wide enough for two or three MECs to pass side-by-side. Being the only other way down from the elevated position other than the way the team arrived, it was the natural choice for the XCOM trooper’s route. Albert, Alice, David, and the two SHIVs took the point position as the rest of the team made their way through the rocky cover, keeping a steady pace down the cliff face.

“We’ve got about thirty more meters of cliff!” the pointman infantry shouted back to the trailing team, receiving an affirmative and an order to keep advancing came from the center of the formation, which the point team gladly followed.

The unmistakable sound of a low flying jet quickly approached the team’s position and as the black VTOL passed by overhead, a large object fell from the bag, three small parachutes deploying and the large MEC-3 Goliath standing menacingly, cutting off the path for the squad.

With a clatter of raised weapons, the XCOM troopers raised their rifles, all trained on the encroaching MEC. “Well, I suppose we’re not going to be able ask you kindly to leave, are we?” Albert deadpanned, steadying his aim on the MEC’s cockpit. The only response the MEC gave was the whine of his Laser Lance powering up and pointing it in return at the XCOM forces.

With that unspoken signal, a barrage of fire poured forth from the troopers, pulse and the occasional plasma burst from the mechanized XCOM forces raining down upon the enemy MEC like a hurricane, the odd burst of damage that penetrated armor rocking the hostile armored trooper.

“C’mon, just die already!” David yelled as his Gatling Pulser slowly chipped away at the enemy armor, the HEAT ammo doing surprisingly little damage against the mechanized behemoth, as it slowly stepped its way over to the entrenched troops. The Laser Lance, finished with its initial charging, was lifted by the enemy MEC, and a beam of crimson light lanced out, striking at the offending Gunner. A quick duck reduced a potentially lethal blow to one that scored across Trapp’s Aegis armor, burning a deep gash in the trooper’s right arm.

“Aim for the cockpit!” Beckett shouted, “Pilot’s squishier than the rest!”

“No shit Sherlock, but the pilot’s armor is just as tough!” Damian retorted as he dashed back from the encroaching goliath, his Blaster Rifle being best served at longer ranges than the one the MEC seemed to prefer.

“Just shoot the damn thing, we’ll eventually hit something vital!” Putting his words into action, Muthambi redoubled his fire on the Goliath, making up for the loss of suppression that Trapp’s injury prompted.

With a bark, Albert shouted, “Somebody get a rocket onto this thing, anybody!” The Infantry held his position as the Goliath continued its seemingly implacable movement, another pulse of crimson light punching through Albert’s cover, barely missing him and prompting the Gunnery Sergeant to curse.

“Gotcha! Shredder is prepped!” Jacobs shouted from the rear of the retreating formation. With a pulse of green light, the blaster launcher fired it’s projectile, the shredder-fusion-ball arcing upwards, before plummeting down directly on top of the enemy MEC before detonating in a mass of plasma and shrapnel, shredding the hostile armor.

Still, even the raw fury of the sun did little to faze the encroaching mechanized trooper, as it continued its inexorable march forward, occasionally punctuated by a pinpoint Laser Lance shot into the XCOM trooper’s cover. One beam would nick Townsend’s armor, the next would glance at a SHIV, the third narrowly miss Alice’s combat exoskeleton. And as the MEC advanced, the XCOM forces slowly fell back, in an attempt to avoid getting caught by the behemoth at close range.

“We need a plan to deal with that MEC!” Dallas barked from the center of the formation.

“I have one, Stewart!” Albert shouted in response, finally falling back from his position. “I just need every bit of high explosive we’ve got, and a spot of covering fire!”

The enemy MEC leveled its primary weapon at its rival, the battle-suited Alice. With a cracking flash, the AI stumbled back, a large smoldering hole near the suit's waist. A moment later, blue Sparks began spraying from the "wound," and Alice's suit began to back away.

"I'm okay," Alice's voice came out in a raspy tone. "Wiring is exposed, I'm losing primary power fast..."

Emily raced to the foot of the mech, looking pensively at the damage. "Alice, I'm going to try something, stick with me, okay?"

"Alright," she replied shakily.

Emily mimicked the actions she saw in her dreamscape, collecting the rapidly escaping energy from the mech's damage and collecting it in a ball. With a smooth motion, she propelled it forwards, sending a blinding power surge through the PMC MEC. For a brief moment, the mammoth machine slouched down, its weapons dropping to its sides.

“...or we can do that,” Albert belatedly said as he lowered his hand. Noticing the enemy MEC slowly regaining power, he quickly added, “Actually, still gonna need the explosives.” With a quick series of nods among the troopers, Albert found in his possession six alien grenades, a Shredder rocket, and a pair of HE rockets.

“Right, let’s give him some covering fire!” Dallas barked, and the fire quickly resumed upon the slowly repowering MEC. With that, Albert sprinted forward, an expression of extreme regret painted on his face underneath his thankfully opaque helmet.

Sliding to a stop at the base of the MEC’s leg, Albert hastily dropped the pile of explosives at the foot of the behemoth. However, the MEC powered up just slightly earlier than expected, and a vicious backhand from the MEC sent Albert flying away from his improvised bomb before he could pull the pin on the alien grenades. And from the rear of the formation, Fay had finally lined up the perfect shot.

Three things happened in turn. The first was that the suicidally brave infantry was sent careening behind a small rock formation from the force of the blow. The second was a beam of light lancing out from Fay’s Pulse Sniper, striking the blaster bomb still laid at the MEC’s right leg. The third was a momentary curse from the MEC pilot as they realized that the sniper shot did not, in fact, miss. And then they exploded.

As the smoke cleared from sudden explosion, the only things that remained of the enemy Goliath was a large section of the torso, the Laser Lance, and the MEC’s left arm. A brief cheer echoed forth from the troopers, as Laurent dashed forward to check on the wounded Infantry, who had barely been outside of the blast zone.

Pain filled Albert’s mind. Even though he had been outside of the worst of the explosion, and partially shielded by the rocks, several chunks of shrapnel had embedded themselves in his armor, some gouging deep enough to draw blood. And, in Wilson’s profession opinion, that bone was supposed to be inside the body. Channeling his powers, the Medic got to work with a healing aura in his left hand, and a medkit in the right, doing his best to stabilize the trooper.

“...Probably should have just thrown it,” Albert muttered, before he slipped into unconsciousness.

Emily rushed towards Alice in the aftermath, her suit offline and open from the lack of power. Although Alice's personal form showed far less indicators for low power, it was still clear something had gone wrong.

"Alice, are you okay?" Emily asked in a panic.

"I need...to see Sunny..." the android said weakly.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't think it'd take anything from you," she replied, her voice cracking.

"Need maintenance..." Alice said in a monotone, her eyes closing and going into hibernation.

Emily put her hands underneath her and lifted the deceptively heavy woman with a grunt, bringing her back towards the group before taking her to engineering.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Operation Ironclad Gigas, Part 1

Red lights flashed as small chunks of earth collided with the ground, the bombing having caused the most damage from the shockwaves rather than the actual impacts. Central was empty of its usual staff, evacuated as calmly as possible, unlike the pandemonium of the alien assault on XCOM HQ. This time, they were prepared...though not for something of this ferocity. Regardless, something still had to be done, as Viktor Dorian’s EXALT forces worked to breach the forward access tunnels.

Without outside help, it would take them awhile, and that bought XCOM something precious: time. The first to mobilize was the splinter faction of EXALT that had aligned itself with Viktor’s hated foes, known as Legion.

Elene conducted a quick check of her seraph armor as the others moved into position. “The time has finally come,” the heiress muttered, charging up her pulse rifle.

Emma watched the other entrance from cover, shadow armor working properly. “Indeed it has,” she stated over comms. “Is everyone ready?”

A chorus of affirmative responses came from the Adam clones. “Yep, I’m ready to kick some ass, ‘Knight’,” Vee told Emma, satisfied with the titan armor and her gatling pulser.

“I would ask that you keep your cool, ‘Bishop’,” Avanix recommended. “This is not the time for games.”

“I know, Black Queen,” Vee responded to the A.I. “Just lightening the mood.”

A larger than normal Legion Robotic Trooper glanced down at Vee, standing at about eight feet tall with a jetpack and wings attached to its back. In its right hand was an alien alloy sword, reflected in Legion’s red visor. “The phrase is ‘to calm one’s nerves, correct?” Legion asked Vee.

“Right, Black King,” Vee confirmed. “And with that, I think Omega Team is ready, White Queen.”

Elene nodded, and instructed the Legion forces to steady their aim. “Field Commander Brea should be here any moment. I just hope she arrives before they breach those doors…” The sound of drilling implied it would not be long.

“Elene!” Aya rushed in from one of the side doors, Desmond and eight other troops following behind her. “Thank God you made it here. I was afraid it would just be the ten of…” She glanced up at the large mechanized soldier for a moment, then shook her head. “... just the ten of us. I was ready for the worst.”

“It is fortunate that we both arrived, then,” Elene responded. “Legion, how long until they breach the doors?”

The automaton made a slight, stiff bow. “I estimate twenty-five seconds, White Queen.”

Aya quickly looked over her weapon and nodded to her soldiers. “Alright, we hold the line as best we can. We’ll fall back if need be, but I don’t want anyone getting past Central.” She got a series of nods, and the soldiers scattered into cover. As Desmond walked past, Aya quickly grabbed his arm. “Listen, Desmond… I’m not going to lie. I’m probably going to need anything and everything for this fight. But if you aren’t up for this, just say the word. You can stay in the back. There is no shame in not fighting if it would be suicide.”

Desmond smirked and looked down at himself, instead of going for traditional armor like the others, he was wearing his lightweight shinobi armor. “Come on Aya, you know me. Suicide missions are my speciality.”

Ryan put a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I will make sure our friend here doesn’t wind up dead. You have my word.”

“Door breach imminent,” Legion/Black King warned urgently.

As if on cue, a few seconds later the doors were blown apart by something that could only have been breaching charges and troops rushed through the doors, taking nearby cover. In total, it looked to be eight regular Exalt troops and a group of six Elite troops.

On the right side, Emma threw up a cloud of dense smoke to shield that portion of the room from the enemy, while Avanix unfolded her alloy shield and held it up. “Defensive mode engaged. Requesting offensive support,” Avanix noted.

“Christel, Gregory, keep up front and distract!” Aya shouted. “Martinez, Lopez, rear support! Keep your eyes open, and remember to support the Legion forces. Psions, conserve your energy. Brankino, Walker, conserve your explosives. We don’t know how many they’ll be throwing at us!”

“Time for some fun,” Sylvia whispered, looking at a group of soldiers heading in Avanix’s direction. Stretching her hand, a Muton Elite appeared before then, dual wielding plasma dragons and firing at them whilst screaming madly.

Emma utilized the distraction to line up a shot with her blaster rifle, and let a shot loose. The blast slammed into an EXALT trooper, but they endured the strike. “Iron Skin…” the Shadow Operative muttered, but did not lose her cool as the enemy turned to face her. Another shot to the front of the helmet sent the foe into the blackness of death.

On the other side, Black King lowered his legs, and then sprung over the illusion, a flare of jets carrying him the distance he needed. The embodiment of Legion swung down, tearing through the phalanx armor of three EXALT troopers and the flesh underneath. The other four regulars shot at him with lasers, but the attacks merely damaged portions of his armor. “Not good enough.” Black King stretched out his hands with the sword balanced between them, and the built-in pulse carbines on his arms melted through another foe.

Sergio lined up a shot, having a choice between a sure kill and a glancing shot, but took the latter, stopping an Elite from firing at Aya with a shot through the hand. He was rewarded with a near hit, quickly ducking down at the last second.

Alicia reached out for one of the regular soldiers. Her psionics weren’t strong enough to get full mind control, but stopped him in his tracks long enough for Pastel to put him down. Alicia ducked back into cover, staring at her hand in frustration. “Damn it, losing to a seven year old…”

Elene sent a pulsing laser through the last regular trooper on the enemy side, and then refocused on the six Elites. “A heavy? Amusing.” The heiress stretched a hand out, her eyes flaring purple, and the spiral of psionic energy… deflected off the clone, and Elene growled in frustration. “Dampening…”

“Eh, there’s always the quicker solution, little sis!” Vee lifted her blaster launcher. “Hey, entrenched assholes!” The projectile shot at them, humming loudly, and then blasted apart the Elites and their cover. Two survived long enough to fall to the two stealth Legion troopers, who didn’t even need to utilize shadow mode yet.

“And reinforcements can’t use that cover either. Surprisingly tactical, Bishop,” Emma pointed out.

Vee scratched the back of her head. “Yeah...totally meant to do that.”

Aya smiled. “Intentional or not, it makes things easier for us. Every, reload and assess your cover, and move if need be. Any injuries?”

“Just a glancing shot,” Nicolas said, spaying himself. “Figures the medic is the first to get hurt.”

“Everyone over here appears to be unharmed,” Elene informed the Field Commander. “Prepare for the second wave.”

Again on cue, another large group of twelve regular troops rushed through the doors, except this time the group being a lot more careful about choice of cover, and one even popping smoke as the rest entered behind him.

Black King fell back, adding some suppressing fire to that of Guillermo and Luis to buy a little time. “Avanix, your flammenwerfer, please.”

Inside her MESHA, the android smirked. “But of course.” Avanix rushed forward, utilizing the covering fire, and let loose her flamethrower, consuming five of the EXALT troopers in flames.

Sergio watched the field, but couldn’t get a clear shot through the smoke. “Damn… fine, you win.” He closed his eyes, and opened his senses. Getting a feel for the room, and spotted a slightly exposed soldier with his mind’s eye. A pull of the trigger, and the EXALT trooper dropped, slightly shorter than he was before.

“Damn… maybe I should consider upgrading…” Pastel mumbled, also not being able to get a clear shot. Taking the slightly more destructive route, he lobbed an alien grenade, taking a shot in the shoulder for his trouble. He clenched his teeth in pain as Nicolas ran to his side, but couldn’t help but smile a bit when the sound of an explosion was accompanied by at least two screams from the EXALTs.

The smoke started to disperse, and Vee took advantage of the opportunity, gatling pulser fire blasting through an enemy rocketeer as he tried to draw his recoilless rifle. “You’re not allowed to get upgrades!”

Elene lifted her hand again. “This time,” her eyes glowed purple as she spoke. “You will fall by your own hand.”

The three remaining EXALT troopers behind cover paused their attacks, and all three of them lifted laser pistols to their heads. There was the hiss of laser fire, and the last of the second wave’s forces crumpled to the ground.

Aya let out a sigh of relief. She reached to her side for more ammo, and flinched. Retracting a blood covered hand, she placed it over her side and concentrated. A faint glow emanated from it for a few moments, but nothing happened. “Damn it… Griffith! Need a patch job.” The XCOM trooper did not respond immediately, and the call was instead answered by the Legion medic, Tian. The spray taking effect, Aya stood up and tapped the man on the shoulder. “Thanks, friend.”

The clone nodded slightly with a faint smile, and went over to assist Luis as well. Elene instructed her forces to reload. “Just glancing blows thus far, but be careful. I have no intention of losing any more of you.”

The Adam clones nodded, and reshuffled slightly to get into better positions. Vee balanced her powerful LMG-variant on a sturdy metal crate, Emma doing the same from a slightly further distance. The two Shadow Legions snuck by the right door, and vanished from sight, their stealth technology active.

“Walker,” Aya called, ducking behind a large supply crate. “Come here for a sec."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Operation Ironclad Gigas, Part 2

Desmond quickly glanced at the door and ran over to the Central Officer. “What is it?”

Aya sighed. “I was hoping my abilities would be back to full strength by now, but that isn’t even close to being true. I only have one thing I can do now.” She pulled out a large combat knife. “How’s your throwing arm?”

“Need you even ask?” Desmond said, clenching his fist with a grin. “All that training I put myself through is not for nothing,”

Aya nodded, and closed her eyes. Her hand glowed a faint greenish-blue, and a moment later, so did the knife. She handed it to Desmond. “That’s… pretty much all the energy I can muster right now. This should punch through just about anything. Just don’t lose it, okay? It was a gift from Eve.”

Desmond took the knife and he sheathed it into place instead of the regular combat knife on his belt. “I will be sure not to waste it then.” He quickly ran back to the cover he had been behind but the crack of a rifle and a near by ping on a crate caused Desmond to quickly slide to the ground. As if the shot had been a herald, a group of six Elites and a new group of eight enemies rushing in, the new enemies already having weapons drawn and firing as they moved in sync to cover.

Already in place for the next wave, So Ji launch a create forward with his kinetic strike. It slammed into a group of EXALTs, and before they could recover, he unleashed his flame thrower, toasting four of the enemy soldiers before rushing back into cover, several shots punching into his armor.

“Jeez, not only are they upgrading, but it looks like EXALT is outsourcing now.” Christine lifted her left index finger, swirling it around. “Can I get some covering fire and a line of sight? I’ve got an idea I’ve been working on.” She spun her finger faster and faster, mumbling, “A good cluster of enemies would be nice, too.”

A combined hail of laser fire from the Legion troops answered her request, the forces on either side slowly pushing the enemy closer and closer in the center, lest they be torn to shreds by the tremendous amount of firepower. It wasn’t very sustainable, so Christine had to act fast.

“Desmond!” Christine yelled. “Can I get a light, by any chance?”

Desmond nodded and took a deep breath. He stood from behind his cover and lifted both his arms, pumping power outwards to create a flame. Christine stood herself, thrusting her hand forward. A rift, weak but steady, formed in the center of the EXALT forces. As Desmond ignited the obvious target, Christine lifted her blaster launcher. The flaming rift wasn’t nearly as strong as Avaritia’s, probably not strong enough the kill any of the enemies, but it made for an easy target. The energized blast rocketed forward, not only taking out most of the soldiers in the center, but more so out of it as the rift flung flaming shrapnel to all sides.

Desmond smiled at the creation him and Christine had made and kneeled down behind his cover again. “Okay, I have to admit...never comboed psionic powers like that before.”

Christine smiled towards him, panting heavily. “Yeah… was fun… just… don’t ask me… to do it… again today…”

Avanix lifted her particle cannon, energy concentrating around the barrel. “The Queen must keep everything in perfect order.” The powerful plasma-based weapon fired, and consumed the last EXALT Elite in the blast.

Legion strode forward, sending his sword into a downed PMC, impaling him against the ground. “And the King must mete out justice. Enemy forces clear for now, Mistress.”

“I wonder how many more we have to deal with?” Ryan called out.

“Um… I’d say… three and a half…” Sylvia answered. Sergio gave her a dirty look, and she shrugged. “What? You want good comedy, catch me when I’m not fighting for my life…”

A large psionic presence manifested itself from inside the breached doors and at last, after so long, Viktor stepped through the doors with his rifle in hand. 4 MECs stepped out with him as well as a two figures flanked him on either side, one wearing the same colors as the PMCs had and the other holding a sniper rifle and a mask covering his face. From behind the MECs, another eight PMC troops walked close behind.

“So here we are! All gathered in one place for the last time.” Viktor announced loudly. “This has been a long time on the making, hasn’t it? There will only be one victorious side, one sole winner.” He was out in the open, no one bothering to enter cover at all, but instead staring down the XCOM soldiers with their massive amount of firepower.

“Shithead has a big mouth for such a clear shot…” Sergio took aim, a bullet flying straight at his forehead. Moments before hitting home, it flung to the side, digging into a nearby crate. Sergio looked up, more irritated than surprised. “Shit… there goes my perfect hit ratio…”

Viktor smiled. “Now that wasn’t a chivalrous move. The least you could do is come out and face me man to man. Though if you like to play at that game…” Viktor raised his hand and the masked sniper next to him quickly pulled back his bolt and snapped the gun to position and fired at Sergio’s position with deadly accuracy.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
“Sergio!” Sylvia flung her hand forward, a visible shield forming in front of the X-COM sniper. The bullet punched through the psionic wall, as well as Sergio’s armor, hitting him in the gut. He fell back, and Nicolas and Sylvia rushed to his side, ripping off his armor as the sniper clenched his teeth in pain and rage.

“You’re full of shit!” Vee yelled, before lowering her voice. “Hit him with a spray of fire, he can’t block everything…”

The Legion forces raised their weapons and sent a spray of pulse in the direction of Viktor Dorian, though Vee had a different choice of firepower. Lifting her blaster launcher again, she fired the projectile. It zipped towards Viktor, but then deflected around him, slamming into the MEC trooper with the proximity mine launcher. The HEAT-style warhead burst, and the thunderous blast heavily damaged the MEC-1 suit, as well as doing more moderate damage the one next to it and two PMCs.

Multiple crates quickly flew in front of Viktor like a barrier as the Legion forces fired on him. “Does the girl find me stupid?” He managed a look back at the MEC-1 suit and his face fell a bit. “Try not to take too much more damage. We spent a long time working on those suit.” Viktor said to the MEC, though low enough that the XCOM soldiers wouldn’t hear. “No matter though, we still have a job to do.” Viktor threw the crates at the Legion troops who had been firing at him, he and the men grabbing cover with the distraction.

Avanix raised her shield, Black King his sword, letting the crates break on their sturdy equipment. “For Lusett and her progeny...you will suffer the fate of a horrible death,” the A.I. muttered.

Elene closed her eyes, reaching out to the MEC with the kinetic strike module as it started to head towards the Legion and XCOM forces. You will be mine. The MEC shifted its shoulders unnaturally, and then its fist weapon flared. The mechanized suit lunged for Viktor, swinging its powerful melee weapon at his back.

The MEC’s fist stopped short however as Logan looked at the MEC and was tapping on a small wrist computer. “You were right Viktor. The automatic lock up system was a good idea.”

“I am not an idiot. I know dirty tricks like that.” The MEC stood unmoving still but after a bit, the MEC moved on it’s own, seemingly on autopilot, the person inside having no control.

“Hate having to step out of the fight.” Logan stated as he commanded the MEC from the portable remote.

Very well then. Elene narrowed her eyes in frustration, and another spiral pushed itself into the forehead of one of the PMCs. The man lifted his pistol, but rather than try to hit Viktor through the telekinetic shield, he promptly shot himself.

Emma clicked a few buttons on the wrist-plate of her armor, and vanished from sight. “Shadow Legion units, now.”

The two hidden automatons from before sprang into action, both of them lifting their pulse rifles and shooting the two injured PMCs. “If you cannot kill a target, simply eliminate all distractions first,” Legion surmised from the Black King frame, lifting his wrist-carbines and sending a spray of fire to keep another PMC down before recharging.

“115, do your job!” Viktor commanded and the masked person nodded, quickly snapping up and looking down the scope of his gun. Multiple views snapped across his helmet’s heads up display but he could not find the Legion operative that went cloaked.

Instead of using his helmet, 115 used a new setting on the experimental scope on his rifle. At first there was nothing until a slight reading appeared and he took aim. 115 squeezed his trigger, though his aim a little off as Ryan shot at the sniper before he got the chance to send the bullet off.

“We should deal with that sniper.” The assault suggested as Emma wondered where Viktor had gotten the scientists to come up with a sight that could see through her ‘ghost’ field.

“Gladly!” Sylvia shouted, standing from an unconscious Sergio as Nicolas desperately tried to stabilize him. “Those assholes wanna use psionics? We’ll use psionics!” She rushed out of cover, her lightning reflexes and and a constant stream of energy to her shield protecting her as she rushed the EXALT sniper. As she closed in, a shot from the damaged MEC forced her into cover. “Oh, you do NOT wanna fuck with me, son.” She looked back towards Aya.

The field commander nodded. “Alicia! Distraction!” The Infantry fired with one hand as she extended the other, a purple tendril of dark energy hitting the MEC’s controller, again not strong enough to gain control, but throwing off his aim. As Sylvia ran out of cover, Aya yelled, “Christine. Fry him!” The rocketeer reached forward, an orange psi-panic again throwing the MEC off as Sylvia closed in.

The psionic scout leaped forward, landed on the MEC on pointing her Scatter Blaster down. “Smile, mother fucker!” She unloaded, and leaped away, leaving an AP grenade to finish the job, assuming it had somehow survived. She rushed back into cover, making sure to turn back and flip a pair of birds at Viktor and his Sniper.

Viktor rolled his eyes and it was hard to see the sniper’s expression. “Do your job 115. I believe we have waited long enough.”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Operation Ironclad Gigas, Part 3

The Sniper nodded and he dashed from cover to cover, dodging any retaliatory fire from the enemies as he neared the target. Rolling to the side, he came up in a crouch and aimed his rifle directly at Elene.

Rather than risk another mind control, Elene flared up her seraph armor’s jets, and blasted back from 115, swerving to the side so his shot went wide. “Take him down!”

Vee and the others opened fire on the MEC troopers, not letting them gain much ground, while Avanix joined up with So Ji to push forward, though that would not be easy. The rain of lasers and pulsing lasers from both sides created a volatile battlefield. Black King rushed over to aide Elene with his own flight systems, through this dangerous environment, swinging his sword down at the sniper. He seemed to shrug off the damage he took in the process.

The sniper looked up at the towering robot’s weapon as it headed straight for him and instinctively threw himself backwards. With the weapon closing fast on 115, Viktor had only one choice to make and pulled the man ever so slightly, the blade just scraping the body of the would- be assassin but leaving a long gash where the sword cut his light armor. Droplets of red splashed on the ground and the sniper’s chest rose and fell heavily as adrenaline filled him. The heads up display to his helmet was smashed in multiple places and 115 had only one option, he removed the mask and messy blonde hair fell out from it as a familiar face took the place of the deadly sniper.

Elene’s eyes widened beneath her helmet. “What...the hell? He’s with the others...how…” Elene clenched her fists in unmistakable rage. “You...c-cloned Markus?!”

115 looked up at his target with a face that gave off no emotion. He quickly turned around and fell back to a better strategic position, laughter from Viktor filling the room. “My, my...you really did care for the boy. I got my use out of him in the end though, his blood giving more than enough DNA for the cloning process.”

“Jesus…” Aya lifted her weapon, and trained it on the exposed sniper. Her hands shook slightly as she looked at him, remembering the innocent, fish-out-of-water man she had met some time ago. She fired, both hoping to hit and miss at the same time.

The shot grazed the top of his left shoulder, too close to the neck and head for comfort, the clone throwing himself behind some crates for protection.

“Legion, if he shows again, incapacitate or kill him. Sometimes it takes those who can work past emotion to fight the hard battles,” Avanix instructed the collective A.I.

“Acknowledged. Engaging suppression.” Black King raised his arms, and fired off suppressing sprays of fire from one, then reloaded, firing from the other as he did. “Sustainable pattern.”

Elene grit her teeth for a moment, before calming herself and landing in cover. “I thought you were incapable of giving me another reason to kill you, Viktor Dorian...congratulations, you proved me wrong. Avanix, So Ji, deal with their two MEC troopers! Everyone else, open fire on Viktor!” The Legion forces mentioned did their jobs, Avanix engaging the enemy Marauder MEC in close quarters, though she let it come to her rather than trigger its proximity fire. The Adams freed a torrent of pulse on Viktor, Elene adding to the onslaught. “If there is a hell you’re going to burn in it!”

Viktor gritted his teeth and growled a little in annoyment. “She is persistent, I give her that.” Viktor closed his eyes and began to build up energy in his body. “Let us see how she likes a little surprise.”

Ryan added to the fire on the MECs and looked over at his friend, not a single shot being fired. “Desmond...what’s wrong?” Ryan asked, ducking down to reload his weapon. “You haven’t fired a shot in a while.”

Desmond didn’t respond, the psionic soldier staring directly at the direction of their enemies. “I remember now…”

Ryan shook his head and began to fire again. “Remember what?” He yelled over the fire.

There was no response and when Ryan glanced sideways, Desmond had jumped over his cover and ran for a stack of crates nearby the enemy position.. “God damn it...he had to make my job harder.” Ryan hopped over his own and chased after him.

Vee glanced over. “What the hell is that idiot doing? Guillermo!” The infantry nodded, and sent covering fire to keep Desmond from being killed by the hail of fire on the battlefield. “What’s he even wearing…” Vee muttered, before refocusing on Viktor. She let loose her last rocket, which detonated in midair, sending plasma-coated shrapnel into the enemy MECs, the five remaining PMCs, and Viktor’s shield.

The only enemy unaffected was the MEC-2, which was holding back for now, merely firing from a distance, seeming more reserved than its counterparts. It’s head turned to the sound of Vee’s voice, and it opened fire, pinning her down with a railgun shot that destroyed the top half of the destroyer’s cover.

Desmond slid into cover close by the position of the enemies and hunkered down low, Ryan nearly falling on his stomach. “What the hell is this!?” Ryan yelled.

Desmond peeked over the cover but quickly dropped back down. “I know this PMC group. Their leader is the one who came to get me out of Japan.”

“Well that doesn’t justify running off like that!” Ryan snapped.

Desmond held up a hand. “That isn’t the...only reason I am up here.”

“Well whatever the hell it is, do it fast!” Ryan ordered.

Desmond pulled a pair of grenades off of his belt, both of them alien and his fingers brushed the activators. “Time to give them a proper shot.” Pressing both the buttons at the same time, he chucked the grenades over his cover and towards the enemy’s entrenched position.

The explosives landed with clanks as the imperfectly shaped grenades rolled across the ground and smack dab in the middle of the group of EXALT. Viktor opened his eyes as soon as he heard the grenades first touch the ground and was already moving to the right to new cover. 115 followed Viktor closely, gripping his rifle hard as they scrambled away. Logan yelled for whatever troops he had left to fall back and ran left instead, towards the direction of the actual guard station.

As the grenades blew, two of the PMCs were killed instantly, the others wounded as a result. The MECs sustained a little damage from the HEAT nature of the grenades but they were ultimately just far enough away that they weren’t caught directly in the blast.

115 dove to the ground for safety. Viktor’s shield protected the man from damage, but it had the effect Desmond hoped for, the two men were nearly backed into a corner.

Satisfied with his work, Desmod pursued after his new target and Ryan kept close behind, set on keeping his promise to Aya.

“Diego, finish off the distractions,” Elene ordered, and the engineer complied, sending a grenade the PMC’s way. The blast killed the most severely wounded one, and Guillermo took down the other two.

As for Avanix, she had grown tired of sparring with the remote-controlled Marauder, and pushed him back. “Luis!” she ordered, and a hail of HEAT laser answered her call, melting the front off the MEC. The pilot exposed, Emma finished the job with a discharge of her blaster rifle.

The Guardian MEC-1 and the MEC-2 went to defend Viktors position with counter-suppression, the former healing 115 with an area of effect medspray. “Sir, it would appear we are now severely outnumbered,” the MEC-2 Defender stated in a monotone all-too familiar to the Handmaidens and Elene.

“You’ve… got to be… he copied Lily too?!” Vee exclaimed with rising dread and hatred for Viktor. “You son of a bitch! You really have a deathwish, don’t you!” The fire she sent at the man expressed her emotions, though the Guardian was the one who was hit, suffering moderate damage.

“You may have the heart to kill your beloved’s clone Elene,” Viktor called out. “But what about your precious ‘sister’? Can you really kill someone you love like that? After all...she was made the same as yours, there is practically no difference at all.” There was a moment of silence from the man but he bellowed once more. “What will it be! Her? Or your revenge?”

“Tch. Do you even hear yourself?” Emma responded, lifting her gun. “We don’t play by your rules, Dorian.” She fired off a disabling shot, rendering the MEC-2’s gun inoperable. “Avanix, subdue that one, Legion, keep the other pinned, we’ll kill Viktor.”

Avanix moved forward to comply, raising her shield, and a shot from the copy of Lily’s railgun proved that directive might be difficult. The alloy shield practically melted from Railgun’s HEAT ammo, and a second shot blew off the MESHA’s arm.

“Anti-armor weaponry detected,” Black King offered unhelpfully. His two other frames opened fire on Viktor, as did the XCOM/Legion sharpshooters.

Viktor began to chuckle slightly as he stared down at his hands. “Well...it seems I am finally ready now.” Viktor’s chuckle grew into laughter as he took a stance as if he was on the starting line of a race. Power flooded his legs and Viktor used a large amount of power to strengthen his shield and jump into the air. He let out a yell as he slammed his feet into the ground, a large red shockwave traveling outward and towards the shoulders with the force of a speeding car.

Now is the time. Emma pressed her hands against the ground, reversing the flow of the telekinetic energy in a zone around her at Viktor, shielding at least some of her shoulders.

The rest of the Legion forces were not so lucky, save for Vee, Elene, and Black King. The latter two ascended to avoid the blast, and Vee used her muscle fiber density to escape it. She landed, and glanced around at the knocked-over troops. Avanix had even fallen, and the false Lily made sure that MESHA could not get up with two shots that severed the suit’s legs.

DarkGemini24601

Operation Ironclad Gigas, Part 4

“Oh, God.” Sylvia held out both her hands. A large, bright yellow shield formed in front of her. Alicia held out a hand herself, mind-merging with Sylvia. The shockwave hit the shield, and Sylvia's knees buckled. The shield held for a few seconds before flinging her back as it shattered. The rest of the X-COM forces were spared, but Sylvia was out, along with Alicia due to the backlash of energy.

With Nicolas occupied with Sergio, Aya was down four soldiers. She let out a frustrated scream, and dived at Christine, wrenching the blaster launcher from her hands. She jumped out of cover, firing a rocket directly at Viktor with little regard for her safety.

The remaining Legion forces spared by Emma added to the onslaught, Julio and Sergin hammering the shield with pulse fire. Hidalgo raised his own blaster launcher, joining with Aya in the bombardment. Luis chose a different target. “Sorry, Mistress. Gotta take this risk.” He opened fire on the threatening MEC-2, and the MEC-1 near it. The latter fell and exploded, while the MEC-2 suffered exterior damage and fell back to a safe distance. Black King occupied himself with continued suppression on 115.

Elene and Vee opened fire as well, putting as much pressure as possible on Viktor as the two blaster bombs detonated.

Viktor roared as he directed all the energy he could muster to keep the telekinetic shield raised but the two blasts combined as well as the focused fire had completely blown the barrier, launching the man backwards and into the metal wall, leaving a visible dent in it as droplets of blood flew from his mouth as he crumpled to the ground. His breathing was labored and his body smoked. “Is that...all you got!” Viktor yelled. “Is that all!”

Emma directed the four remaining Legion troopers to put pressure on Lily’s doppleganger to prevent her from interfering, and ended up damaging the MEC-2’s servomotors. The copy collapsed, and lost her grip on the railgun. “No…” she muttered.

Elene held a hand up, and the Adams lowered their guns slightly, keeping a careful eye on Lily and Markus’s copies. The heiress herself strode forward, foregoing the pulse rifle for a blaster and an alloy knife. A smile slowly spread across her face. “Do you have...any idea...how long I’ve waited for this?”

Viktor chuckled and his chuckle turned into crazed laughter. “You think you have beaten me! For all the smarts you claim to have you are a naive girl if you think you will have this victory!” Elene lifted her blaster, and shot at Viktor’s shoulders with the intention of preventing him from raising his hands to defend himself. Viktor grimaced but his smile remained. “Is that the best you got? Come on, you know you want to do it, hit me. Come on do it. Take your revenge sweetie but in the end you ultimately lose. Your mother is dead, your...’brother’ is dying and you are missing the most important piece of this picture.” Viktor leaned forward. “Would you...like to know what it is?” He twisted his head slightly and looked directly into Elene’s eyes. “Huh, do ya?”

Elene’s smile did not fade, only growing wider. “You seem to have mistaken me for someone else, Viktor. I am Elene Exalt, the heiress to the Exalt family, who has changed history time and again. Do you think that a simple disease would stop me? Do you think I have not already come to terms with my mother’s death? You are simply the final sacrifice to let her memory be tarnished no more…” With Emma and Vee at her sides, she leaned down on Viktor. “But pray tell, what you could possibly say that would change anything?”

Viktor grinned widely and leaned forward slightly, whispering to Elene. “I win…” Viktor threw his head back and let out wild laughter, like a wild animal as he stared directly into the heiress’s eyes, and he clenched his jaw tightly. “Bye bye…” As the cyanide started to take effect, and he started to foam at the mouth, a wave of nausea swept over the room, bringing everyone to their knees. Viktor looked around at everyone, then down at himself, wondering why he wasn’t dead yet.

“Oh, no. Nononono.” Aya stepped forward, kneeling down in front of Viktor. “Are… you… kidding? What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have… ANY idea how much work I’ve put into this? And you’re just going to die by your own hand like that? You sorry, pathetic sack of shit.”

Elene glanced over at Aya, pausing. Wait, what is going on? How does she have psionic abilities now, let alone a power she never had before? And what is she talking about?

“I gotta tell you, Vik, it was quite the show. There was even a point there where I was actually cheering you one there. But I figured this would happen…” Aya kicked Viktor over and dug her foot into his shot-up shoulder. “You will not deny me this!”

“I am already a dead man Invidia. The fact it is you and not Elene is a victory in itself. To deny her revenge...it is the one moment I will cherish.” Viktor chuckled weakly. “Come on...do it already!”

“...Invidia? What the hell is the bastard that tried to murder Emma and Lily doing breaking through our shield again?” Vee shook her head. “It’s nice that you’re keeping him from suiciding, but call me crazy, I don’t get it.”

Elene looked between the possessed Field Commander and Viktor. “Honestly, I could care less. Let him do this.” The heiress holstered her blaster, and held the knife over Viktor. “I have...FINALLY the moment I wanted. You murderous, treacherous, worthless rapist and a disgrace to the entire human race… enjoy your penance.”

The possessed woman chuckled grimly. “I’m not going to kill him… you are. And I’m going to watch, and enjoy.” She leaned down to Viktor again. “You see… friend… I HATE you humans. I never intended to leave. Why would I do that, when I can stay and make you suffer. Or, better yet, watch you make each other suffer.” Her smile widened. “Nothing… gets me off more than the hatred in your eyes when you kill each other.” She glared at Elene. “You… weren’t supposed to be the one. You disappoint me. Lily was supposed to be the one. But… you’ll do, I suppose.” She tapped Viktor on the cheek. “You were fun, bud. But its over… oh! And I hope you don’t mind if I take this back.” She snapped her fingers over his face, and his eye practically melted in its socket. She stepped away, waving her hand at Elene.

The heiress didn’t even seem to hear Invidia’s words as she readied herself for the kill. Vee glanced over at Emma. “Make sure Lily’s clone doesn’t have to see this.” The Shadow Operative complied, going over to the downed EXALT mech, while Vee turned to face Invidia. “Nothing personal, Commander Brea. But Invidia, seriously, fuck you. This is Elene’s moment, you withered bastard.” The Destroyer lunged forward, delivering a swift headbutt to Aya in an attempt to knock her out. Aya dropped to the ground, unconscious.

One of the Adams leaned forward behind Vee, whispering, “That hurt… you’re on my list now.” The man stepped back again, looking around in confusion.

“Yeah yeah, Atka will kill you anyway,” Vee muttered.

Elene did not waste any more time, descending upon Viktor with her knife. Elene struck at him with it, going for shallow strikes that wouldn’t finish off the man she hated so much quickly. “You...who woke me up and boasted of killing my mother…” the clone growled, almost like an animal. “You who made me work for you, a murderer, a monster!” Blood splattered against her seraph armor as she continued her onslaught. “You forced my family to go into battle for you, tried to ruin everything, tried to kill Avanix, shot Markus, raped Lily-” her armored fists were red at this point “-you who did everything to make my life and lives of everyone else a living hell!”

Elene dragged her knife back up, the cries of pain like music to her ears. “You deserve worse, it really fucking sucks that I can’t make it worse for you, you know?” Her knife ripped through his destroyed eye. “Can’t destroy the good one...you have to watch, after all!” The heiress cleaved two more times across his torso, grinning all the while. “How does it feel to have a tiny taste of what you do!” She shook her head. “Sorry, I couldn’t hear you!” The knife plunged through the side of his chest, and she stabbed vertically again and again, ignoring the crimson spray onto her twisted features.

Eventually, Viktor’s strangled breathing sounded no more, but it took some time for Elene to even realize that. She slowly rose, looking at the horrified expressions of both the XCOM troopers and her own. Neither Vee nor Emma met her gaze, and Legion only looked on impassively. “I don’t...expect you to understand.” Her composure slowly returned, though she was visibly trembling.

“I understand,” a half-conscious Sylvia said, sitting over a barely-alive Sergio. The other X-COM soldier simply stepped away, trying to give the heiress and her sisters their space.

In the silence of the moment, footsteps came from away the general area of the group and Desmond walked slowly out from where his own battle took place. His clothes from the waist up were completely gone, cuts ranging from shallow to deep over multiple places on his body. The blade in his right hand was still drawn and it to had small amounts of blood dripping off of it. His look was dead, as if the life was literally ripped from him. He merely glanced at Viktor’s somewhat deformed corpse and didn’t say anything in regards. The katana fell from his hand as he neared Elene and he weakly hugged her. “It’s over Elene… it’s finally over.”

Elene seemed barely able to stand, and gladly accepted the support. “It...it is…” she glanced over at Emma, who was leaning over a sobbing copy of Lily. Isn’t...it?