The Starstream Adventures! (Sci-fi RP)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53
Beautiful Bug

For once, Aya was out recruiting while JJ stayed with the ship. She didn't see why JJ liked it, but she was determined to find someone without any body modifications. What better place to find them then in her own space.

At least, that's what she thought. As usual, this Tamearin Space Station was filled mostly with other Tamearin, and they wouldn't even talk to her once they realized she was a Pon-Taer. The other races weren't much better, as her condition had a bad rap throughout this sector.

She sat at a bar, exhausted. She sipped on some kind of carbonated Earth drink, trying to moisten the throat that had so much time speaking... and screaming... at people.

It was then that a shadow loomed over her from her left, sitting down on the bar stool. The Tamaerin Bartender nearly dropped the glass he was wiping when he saw her. Sitting next to her was a ten foot tall lithe insect woman, her Carapace a vibrant display of mesmerizing blues, purples, pinks, and teals. She additionally had her massive, beautiful wings of vibrant stained glass like color wrapped around her, like a robe. A small opening in the middle revealed a long, segmented arm reaching out to place money on the bar counter, her bright yellow eyes locking on the shocked barkeep.

"Dear, please give me the sweetest thing you have." Her voice was soft like velvet, pristine and sophisticated to boot.

"Whoa... you..." Aya eyed her up and down. "You... you're a..."

Her gaze turned over to the girl next to her, a smile creeping across her lips. "A Royal? I get that reaction a lot."

"Y-yeah, well... I'm just used to seeing Courtesans, not... full royals, out by themselves." Aya blinked a few times. She realized she was probably embarrassing herself. "Sorry, I... don't mean to gawk..."

"It's quite alright." She said as fruity beverage was passed to her by the bartender, the Laepaede taking a drink. "You are correct, most Shara'Sharei spend much of their time in the hive and when they are around and about they are under the strictest guard."

"But you're not it seems. Unless there are guards hidding somewhere, ready to jump me just for talking to you." She was only half kidding, looking around cautiously.

"Don't worry. You'd see them. We're very big." She chuckled. "No. My position is rather... Complicated... My name is Yyashtra'kari, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Aya Me. The pleasure is mine." Aya sipped her drink. "So what brings you to this part of the galaxy? If you don't mind my asking, of course." She chuckled and joked, "Looking for a job?"

"I am actually. I had previously worked as a Pirate Hunter but I recently lost interest in that job. You can only kill so many scoundrels before it starts feeling like deja vu..." She took another sip. "Currently I'm looking for a job that involves a bit more moving around..."

"Really?" Aya slowly smirked. "What about Bounty Hunting? You'll be able to use those skills you had as a pirate hunter, but it involves a lot more moving around, collecting big rewards, and occasionally hunting for precious materials and various other treasures."

"Well now. That does sound intriguing. Would this be your crew?" Yyashtra inferred.

"It would. I'm the first mate on the Golden Wind. I'm sure my captain would love you. As long as you don't mind, you know... working with a Pon-Taer Tamearing..." Her tone told the insect woman how often that came up was likely to often to count.

"A Pon-Taer... Ah. I see. It's a genetic deficiency correct?" The Insect Woman confirmed. "I have no personal qualms with such a thing. Worry not."

"Really? Good, good." Aya smiled brightly. "Once you're done with your drink, I can show you our ship. Let you see if it is worth your time investment."

"I have to say I am quite pleased by your proposal Ms. Aya." She finished off the last of her drink, giving a glance over to the bar keep.

He took her money, leaving change, and the pair walked off towards the dock. Aya looked a bit nervous along the way. She stopped in front of the Red and Black ship and said, "Here we are. W-what... do you think? I know it is a fixer upper... has a few dings and dents..."

"I think it's quite elegant. More so than our hive ships, at least on the outside." She leaned down. "What is it? On the front?"

"The shape. It is based on an Earth avian bird, either a hawk or an eagle. I'd be happy to show you what they look like in our database sometime." She pressed a few buttons on her wrist communicator, and an opening appeared in the side of the ship. "Please, follow me. I'll introduce you to the captain. Fair warning, she is a bit eccentric."

"Oh?" She tilted her head. "Lead the way."

When they stepped onto the ship, Aya asked, "Where is the Captain, Ash?"

"The captain is in the holoroom," a voice replied out of some unseen speakers.

They were only a few paces away from the door to the holoroom. When they entered, they found themselves on a pristine beach of white sand, the room hot but the breeze refreshingly cool. The waves splashed and wrippled, the smell of salt water in the air. Down a short ways, in a lounge chair under an umbrella, the young Cartus Captain lay in a two piece bikini with a relexed smile on her face, the only indication she was awake being the occasional wag of her tail.

The Laepaede seemed astonished, truly wowed. "I have... Never seen anything like this... Were we not just on the ship?"

"This is our Holographic Recreational Facility, or just the holoroom." Aya waved her hands about. "Everything here, save for us and the captain, is just a projection of light, made real by a combination of replicator technology and force fields. But none of it can exist outside this room." She demonstrated by picking up a rock and tossing it out the door behind them, the object vanishing as soon as it crossed the threshold. "This is one of the most advanced parts of the ship, second only to the warp core."

"Incredible... And it can recreate any environment?" Yyashtra seemed genuinely excited.

"Oh, yes. Anything that is in the computer," Aya stated.

"And if it isn't in the computer, we can certainly help you program it in." JJ stood up and walked over, yawning loudly she opened her eyes and stopped short, tilting her head up. "Whoa... don't tell me you convinced a Laepaede... excuse me, a royal Laepaede to join us..."

Aya grinned. "Not yet... but she is considering..."

"You're a... Cartus..." Yyashtra gave her a strange look.

"I am." She placed a hand on her hip. "Oh... I get it..."

Aya looked concerned. "What is it?"

"She is probably wondering right now where my master is." JJ rarely lost her smile like this. "After all, just like your males, Cartus are born to be slaves, right?"

"I did not wonder that. I simply didn't know Cartus were... Capable of leadership." Yyashtra corrected. "I'm also not keen on the word slave. Our Males have a specialized place in our society that was determined by countless centuries of evolution. Besides they are hardly intelligent enough to communicate effectively. That is the role they are best designed for so that everyone may benefit."

"I simply figured the same were true of Cartus." She said honestly. "I was under the impression that that was the place in society where Cartus could contribute the most."

JJ sighed. "Sorry... if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat. I am just used to that reaction." She shook her head. "But it isn't the same between our people. You might not think of your males as slaves, but that is exactly what my people are to the Shinso. It isn't because we belong there. We are just as intelligent and free willed as the Shinso." She shrugged. "We were just... handed the bad hand by life because we are smaller and weaker..."

"I... Don't understand... Why would they choose the smaller and weaker people to act as laborers?" The Insect Woman seemed confused. "That hardly seems efficient and effective to society."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
"Because some people aren't as orderly as yours," Aya said. "You have a logical way of thinking. The logic for the Shinso is there is work to be done that they don't want to do, so they push around those weaker then them to do it for them."

"Strange. I have met many Shinso that were quite cordial." The Laepaede was quiet for a moment before breaking it. "I will think on this. For now I will give you the benefit of the doubt and will follow your command. You seem like you have a decent head on your shoulders and there is much I still have to learn about other species. But I would like to discuss this more later, if that is acceptable."

JJ smiled. "Of course. Does that mean you'll be joining us?" She raised an eyebrow. "You can fight, right? No offense, but Royals have servants, and their servants have servants, and the males are like servants for the servants of the servants. What I mean to say is... it wasn't all pampering, was it?"

"She said she was a pirate hunter before," Aya noted. "I'm sure she wouldn't want to be a bounty hunter if she didn't know how to shot a gun."

JJ threw up her hands defensively. "Just making sure."

Her wings pulled back, revealing her multiple sets of arms, each holding what looked to be a high powered ballistic pistols of colorful Laepaede design. They looked light, almost slender with long barrels that poked out of the rest of the gun and heat vents along the sides. "Would you like me to show you?"

JJ's smile widened, a d she said, "Computer... save program and end. Bring up an urban combat zone with four combatants." The room changed to a wrecked city. In the distance, three humans and a Shinso holding appropriately size rifles stood ready to go. JJ and Aya walked to the side of the room. "Show us what you can do. Computer, begin simulation." With that, the four men ran forward, taking cover.

The Laepaede Woman took cover against a destroyed piece of building, it was hard for someone her size to find effective cover, but she did. She quickly popped out as the targets looked for her, firing a volley of shots from her set of pistols like a one person firing squad.

They fired back. The Shinso, apparently the leader of the group, spoke into a communicator. Two humans went left, the third going right, while the Shinso continued to fire at her last known position. They were going for a flank.

Her large wings unfurled, and with one giant flap, sent her into the air over the cover and towards the leader, taking accurate shots thanks to her significant height advantage with her weapons, two bullets hit the arms, two in the chest, and two in the head. She the furled them back up, dropping her to the ground where she landed gracefully on her thin legs, turning around now behind the three others and taking volleys of shots at all of them, her arms pointing in different directions.

Two of them dropped instantly, the third falling two his knees and holding his side. Seeing the others dead around him, he threw away his gun and raised his other arm.

Two shots instantly went straight through his kneecaps, it was clear that she was very careful about foul play, then two into his arms to make him drop anything he was holding.

A hidden pistol fell to the floor, the man giving her a look of regret.

She pushed him to the ground quickly, searching every pocket at once for weapons while her smaller arms locked a pair of hand cuffs around his wrists.

She found nothing else, and JJ came over, clapping her hands. "Pause simulation. Nicely done. You took out most of them like they were nothing, didn't underestimate a seemingly beaten foe, and arrested him instead of killing him even after finding out he was going to shoot you in the back. I am impressed."

"I'm used to them trying. Pirates remember." She holstered her weapons under her wings, giving a slight bow. "I work well in teams too. I'm quite skilled evaluating and planning to make the most of my allies strengths."

"Good. We'll need team players." JJ bowed back. "Welcome aboard. It is good to have you. Incidentally, do you have any skills in regards to ship functions? Repair work, medical, navigation, piloting, communications? That sort of thing?"

"I know some Piloting. Some Navigation as well. All skills taught me by the Royal of Hive Kari before me." Yyashtra said.

"Good. We'll have great use for that. Aya, will you show her where she'll be staying. I should... probably chnage into something less revealing."

"Know you, it won't be too much less," Aya noted.

JJ laughed, and looked up at Yyashtra. "Welcome, friend. It is great to have you along."

"I have high hopes." She nodded, placing a hand on her chest.

Jackie-Jackie left, and Aya guided Yyashtra towards the back of the ship. Remembering they were a proud race, Aya said, "I hope... the captain didn't insult you. Especially when she went off on you. She usually isn't like that."

"She needs to learn more about my people, and I hers." Yyashtra said. "That will come in time."

Aya nodded in agreement. They arrived at one of the empty quarters, and Aya frowned. "I, uh... realize the bed is a little on the small side for your people. But we can get you an appropriately sized bed right away."

"Thank you. Something soft preferably that doesn't put too much pressure oh my joints." She noted.

"Of course." Aya bowed her head. "Was there anything else you needed before I leave you to settle in?"

"Yes... There wouldn't happen to be any... Fee on this ship? Right?" Yyashtra replied, looking around.

Aya slowly shook her head. "No... not... yet. But the captain wouldn't exclude one..."

"Sigh... Well. That might cause problems with the both of us." She sat down slowly on the bed. "I assume you share your people's distaste for cybernetics?"

"Yeah..." Aya ran a hand through her hair. "Not a big fan of modifications of any kind. I... I know I shouldn't be so judgemental... but it is hard when a belief is so ingrained in you culture, you know?"

"I understand that, dear." The Laepaede Woman chuckled, "I'm not a fan of them myself."

Aya smiled. "I guess we'll deal with it if it comes to that." She bowed her head. "For now, I'll leave you be. Just ask the computer if you need anything. We also have a few Bazir onboard if something doesn't work."

"Ah. Our biological cousins. We don't entirely get along with them, but at least they understand our roles a little more." Yyashtra told her. "How many are there?"

"Only four," Aya answered. "An unusually small group, but perfect for our needs. There is the head of the group, two daughters, and one son. Baichi, the only male, does the most work around the ship. He is likely the one you'll see the most."

"I'll admit I don't know as much about Bazir as I would like. There's much I don't know despite my age." She shrugged.

Aya nodded. "Now is your chance to learn. We have a diverse crew now, and we plan on growing with even more diversity. There is much for all of us to learn."

"What about you? Can I learn about you?" She leaned in.

"Of course!" Aya smiled sweetly. "And I hope to learn much about you."

She put all of her hands together, "Wonderful. Tell me. What planet do you hail from?"

Aya sighed, sitting next to her. "I... I'm not sure, to be honest. My parents abandoned me when I was to young to remember. I grew up in orphanges across the Alpha Quadrant."

"That's a shame. Was it because of your disorder? It is surely not enough to put your family in jeopardy." She responded.

"It was... and no, I doubt it would have put them in any danger..." Aya lowered her head. "I was just... unwanted. Maybe... maybe they couldn't afford the special schooling I would require. Maybe they thought I would find a better home." She closed her eyes and squeezed her fists. "Maybe I just wasn't worth the trouble..."

"Where I come from we don't abandon children. Everyone has a place." Yasha explained.

"I know." Aya looked back up and smiled at her. "That's one of the reasons I admire your people."

Yasha smiled lightly. "Well. Thank you."

Aya bowed her head. "I... should get back to the Captain. Make sure she isn't causing any problems."

"I'll be around. I'm pretty hard to miss if you need to find me." Yyashtra shrugged

Aya stood up and walked to the door. "We'll have a drink together soon. Learn all about each other." The door opened, and she smiled back. "And welcome aboard. It is a pleasure to have you with us."

"A pleasure to be here." She nodded, giving her a contained wave.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
An hour later, there was a subtle knock on the door. Two distinct knocks, in fact, suggesting two visitors.

"Hello? Come in." The Laepaede was laying slightly uncomfortably on her bed.

The door opened, then quickly closed. This was followed by several small feet rushing along the ground. After a few moments of silence, some feelers poked up followed shortly by two pairs of large eyes, staring at her. "Tall Anati," two high pitched voices said.

"O-Oh! My!" The ten foot tall woman sat up and leaned down. "Bazir! You are absolutely precious!"

They blinked and nodded. "I'm Tama!" one said.

"I'm Tala!" said the other.

"You're tall!" they said together.

"You're short! Short and cute." She reached down under Tala and Tama's arms, picking them up, two arms for each of them. "I haven't met many Bazir. I mean I see them around ships of course but they tend to avoid me."

"Why?"

"You're pretty..."

"You're lovely!"

"What's your name?"

"I am Yyashtra'kari, Royal of Hive Kari." She smiled, her expression falling a bit then. "It's just.. Many Bazir are a little intimidated by us."

Their feelers fell a little bit. "Is it because you're so tall?"

"Is it because you're so pretty?"

"We're not intimidated."

"We want to be your friend."

"Ooooh! You are literally the cutest things I've ever seen!" Her antennae bounced in happiness. "Of course we can be friends!"

The pair of Baʒir let out a mighty care, and hugged her tightly, nuzzling against her sides.

"You will be my new handmaidens. A Shara'Sharei's handmaiden is an extremely important position. You're like a... Prin-cess...?" Yyashtra explained happily.

They both gasped. "Tala is like a princess!" Tala exclaimed excitedly.

"Tama too! Tama is a princess too!"

"You should meet Anati!"

"Anati will like pretty, tall Queen!"

She gently lowered them to the floor, "I'd love to meet your Anati. That sounds fun."

"We will be right back," Tama said as they went to the door.

"Don't go anywhere," Tala added before they left.

They were gone only a few minutes before another knock came on the door. When it opened, it was to sisters with a Baʒir nearly one and half times their size. She stood in the doorway, mesmerized by the tall insect woman for a moment, before bowing. "Hello. I am Momo-e."

"Greetings. I am Yyashtra'kari. I've never met a Bazir Royal before. You are quite large." The Laepaede noted.

Momo-e rubbed the side of her head. "Thanknyou, but I am no royal, not like you. I am simply the head of a small group, one much smaller then most Baʒir. Compared to you... well, there is no comparison."

"But you are the head of your group. And you have the children correct? Just because your hive is small doesn't mean you don't fill the same role." Yasha assured her, her wings opening up.

Momo-e looked at the vibrant colors with wonder in her eyes. "I-I... suppose so. I am their mother. But I am not nearly as strong or beautiful as your royals. As you."

"Compared to your people. You are." She reached down to rub her head lightly. "Take pride in your position."

Momo-e chittered softly and nodded. "Thank you." She looked down at her daughters, both staring up at the gorgeous wings. "My little ones are quite taken with you. You have left a warm impression on them."

"As have you on me. If it is not too rude. May I ask you about your biology?" She tilted her head.

"Sure, of course." Momo-e bowed her head. "I will answer to the best of my ability."

"When you mate, who do you mate with if your hive is only your children?" She asked.

"Well, when it is time to produce more children, we contact a hive we are very close to," Momo-e explained. "A male from each hive, usually the strongest and most trusted male, is selected from each side, and we mate. It is easier when more then one hive works on the same ship, though. I am afraid I do not have many contacts, hence the small size of my hive."

"Ah. That's interesting. I assume it's one child at a time as well?" She continued.

"Usually. We are very unique insects in that way. Though I had my to girls together."

"I've given birth to countless children. While not all of them made it to adulthood many did and they currently make up most of hive Kari." Yyashtra informed.

"Oh... I see." Momo-e tapped her hands together, a little intimidated by the clear differences between them. "That... must be wonderful to have so many children! To have so many people who care about you!"

"It... Doesn't work that way anymore... It did... But..." Yyashtra seemed saddened.

The girls lowered their heads, sad that she was sad. "I-I'm sorry," Momo-e quickly said. "I didn't mean to upset you. What... whatever happened with your old family, you can... you can consider us your new family."

"That's sweet. Thank you Momo-e." She smiled. "And you too Tala and Tama."

Momo-e bowed her head, and the twins followed suit. "We better get back to work," the Anati said. "But if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask."

"I appreciate it. And may I say your Carapace is very healthy and polished." The Laepaede smiled.

"Thank you. A-and your beauty goes without saying." Momo-e rubbed her daughters' heads. "Say goodbye now dears."

"Bye-bye!" Tala said, throwing up her arms gleefully.

"Let's play together soon!" Tama added, mimicking the motion.

She gave them a slight, polite wave, her smile falling as soon as she was alone, her thoughts turning to her own people as she lay back down, wrapping herself in her wings like a blanket.

ShadowHounder

DarkGemini24601 & ShadowHounder: “Opposite Faces of a Likewise Coin, Part 1”

GFP Space, Beta Quadrant
The Golden Wind, Engineering Bay
1:17 p.m., LST

Devo kicked his boots up on a crate in engineering. It seemed safe: the box didn’t have any hazard markings on it and hadn’t responded to the pressure. He listened to the hum of the engine at rest, reclined against the wall with eyes closed for the moment. It had been a good first day aboard the Golden Wind. He already had an excursion lined up with a beautiful woman he hoped to learn more about. Things were looking

After a moment, a sudden thud echoed through engine room. The sounds was followed by a door closing as someone hastily rushed into the room in question. The door turned a strange red color for a second... potentially being welded from the inside. Devo shot up from his chair, his eyes widening in alarm.

Some sort of thief? he wondered, lagging a moment before snapping a hand on his hip-holster. He pressed a glove down on the door to open it - preventing its destruction while leaned against the side to peer in at an angle.

On the back wall of the hangar, Elisa was picking up a couple crates of supplies she just knocked over. "I can't believe I tried to grab these on my own. Malcolm warned me not to reach for things on taller shelves... I was just too got up my curiosity to realize why. I just hope no one thinks to try and open the door... I panicked so much that they welded the door shut."

After a minute of placing the items back in their respective crates, Elisa looked up at shelf she tried to take the boxes from. "Now how do I get these back up there without any more noise. My friends could just lift them up there... but I'm not sure if I can place them safely without seeing the placement..."

Devo glanced back at the damage to the doors. Either end smoked with traces of black residue, the ends singed and blackened. In terms of structural integrity, intact. I’ll have to touch that up later, though. Hopefully no one thinks anything of it until then. He cleared his throat. “Do you need some help with that?”

Elisa jumped at the sound of Devo's voice, the box in her hands flying through the air. Luckily, her friends managed to catch the crate in midair as she turned to face the man. "Oh nonono! I can put these back myself." She exclaimed in her flustered state, all while the crate was placed back where she found it.

"How did she..." Devo murmured. There wasn't any flash of color, but how else could she have done that? The natural question arose: "Are you a psion?"

Elisa paused in shock of the question given to her. "No?

"Alright, not telekinesis." Devo scratched his head. "You're moving things in another way, then?"

Elisa looked back at the crate in confusion. She chuckled nervously when she realized that her friends already placed everything back. "I didn't even notice that they did that."

"'They'?" Devo echoed. He leaning against the wall. His posture had relaxed again, almost languid in its complete lack of tension. "What exactly are they - if you don't mind me asking, of course."

"They're my friends... They've been with me for most of my life." Elisa explained to the man in front of her.

"Your... friends." Devo still looked confused. "They're not imaginary friends, or they wouldn't be able to interact with your physical environment," he joked lightly. "Some kinda tech?"

"That's what I've been told." Elisa stated with a smile on her face. "I don't know much of the details of their creation however, so I can't help there."

She doesn't know the extent of her own abilities? What an odd girl. Devo shrugged. "I won't pepper you with more questions about it, then. Instead, let me do this right." He outstretched an arm. "Devo Vizcarra. Nice to meet you."

Elisa placed her hand in his to shake it. "Elisa... sorry for such a confusing introduction."

Devo’s grin broadened. “Not a problem - I’ve had weirder introductions to people. There was this guy - Geren - who stumbled into the rec-room back in the Belt, rambling in an incoherent dialect first time I saw him. Took me a month to understand most of what he spoke.”

"What's the Belt?" Elisa asked in a confused, yet curious tone.

“Asteroid belt in back home,” Devo explained, tracing out an arc in the air. “We do half of our mining out there. Other half is on my homeworld, Intiquecha. It’s on the edge of the border between human and Tamearin space.”

"Interesting..." Elisa commented as she tried to imagine the galaxy. "How big is space anyway? I know it might sound like a dumb question... but I don't know much about the world outside of the city I lived in for the last few years."

Devo chuckled. “That’s a question above my pay-grade, but I’ll give it a shot. The numbers involved lose meaning to me too," he admitted. "When you start talking trillions - or bigger - it all just muddles. The best way I understand it is that without FTL, we'd take decades just to travel between neighboring star systems. And the number of those starts hitting baffling digits too."

"Technology certain has evolved over the centuries, hasn't it?" Elisa giggled. "I bet a lot of the machines we can't live without today were merely fantasy once upon a time."

"I'll take your word for it. Ancient history wasn't a big interest for me," Devo replied, lifting a finger to the ceiling. "Pushing towards the future is my thing."

she spoke. "The researchers did mention something about a power they were trying to replicate while I was in the lab... maybe I was meant to replicate psions."

"Replicating psions with tech?" Devo raised an eyebrow. "I have no idea how that would work... sis said that the foundation of psi is a sentient's will. Only A.I. tech might be able to match that, and well... not like the GFP does that anymore."

"Well... how does psi work?" Elisa asked with a curious look. "Maybe if I have a better understanding of it... I could find some parallels."

"Like I was saying, its energy formed from the willpower of a sentient being." Devo consolidated his swirling energies, fashioning them into a drill bit that fit into his palm. "The mind makes the wielder's desire manifest. I'm not familiar with all the theories about how that transmutation of thought to energy and matter works, but I don't need to. My power operates and synchs with my style. Red is the color of raw power, which suits me just fine."

ShadowHounder

DarkGemini24601 & ShadowHounder: “Opposite Faces of a Likewise Coin, Part 2”

"So you're a scientist?" Elisa asked, her interest peaking as a shine filled her eyes.

"Wh-" Devo stared at her for a moment, and then laughed gently. "No, no, I leave that sort of thing to my sister. I pursue the future with my own hands." He clenched a fist, strips of crimson energy winding around it and spinning slowly. "I'm more of a man of action than experimentation."

Elisa leaned to the side, inspecting the energy that surrounded the man's hand. Her curious stare was intent on figuring out what was going on. "What kind of energy is this?" She muttered quietly, adsorbed into her own intrigue.

"Psionic," Devo explained. "Specifically, a mix of structokinesis and destructokinesis - creation and destruction woven together," he boasted with a wide smile. "It's why I thought you might be a psion too."

"Maybe this psionic power of yours could help me better understand my friends..." Elisa focused on the spiral of energy as she spoke. "The researchers did mention something about a power they were trying to replicate while I was in the lab... maybe I was meant to replicate psions."

"Replicating psions with tech?" Devo raised an eyebrow. "I have no idea how that would work... sis said that the foundation of psi is a sentient's will. Only A.I. tech might be able to match that, and well... not like the GFP does that anymore."

"Well... how does psi work?" Elisa asked with a curious look. "Maybe if I have a better understanding of it... I could find some parallels."

"Like I was saying, its energy formed from the willpower of a sentient being." Devo consolidated his swirling energies, fashioning them into a drill bit that fit into his palm. "The mind makes the wielder's desire manifest. I'm not familiar with all the theories about how that transmutation of thought to energy and matter works, but I don't need to. My power operates and synchs with my style. Red is the color of raw power, which suits me just fine."

"The wielder's desires manifest..." Elisa leaned against the wall as she thought about the explanation. "So it's powered by your emotions?"

"Pretty much. Emotions, fighting spirit - whatever you want to call it," Devo affirmed. "Though few people have the potential, even less among mankind; Tamearins have an unusual affinity for ‘em."

"If my friends were made using psionics as a basis... then that would explain why they act seemingly on their own whenever I'm in danger or have a strong emotion." Elisa remarked as she formed a small sphere with her nanobytes, though they weren't able to keep the perfect shape as they moved constantly... looking for like a glitched out hologram then an iron ball. "This idea might not be as far fetched as one would think."

"They could be tied to implants," Devo replied with a shrug. "I've got a cybersuit with a neural synch apparatus that works similar. The robotic limbs respond to impulses like they were my own. I'd guess that over inorganic psi... though I don't get something." He tilted his head a bit. "Why do you know so little about your own equipment?"

"I'm not the one who built it... I was simply a test subject for it." The young girl answered while her friends dispersed back into the invisible air. "I grew up in that lab... though I never got to know the people working there. They weren't mean, just distant."

Devo's eyes widened. "You grew up... in a lab your entire life?” he echoed incredulously. “So you've never even met your parents? Or any relatives at all?"

"Not to my knowledge..." Elisa took awhile to answer. She had to think more then she was used to. "The only father figure I had was Malcolm... but he found me just last year."

Just who is this girl anyway? Devo pushed off the wall. "What do you mean, 'found' you? How'd you go from being a test subject to being on a bounty hunting ship?"

"I don't know much about what happened... but from what I've been told: a group of soldiers located the lab that I grew up in." Elisa explained to Devo to the best of her ability. "I like would have been placed into a facility somewhere else if a man named Malcolm Smith didn't step in. Malcolm convinced them to trust me in his care... and ever since then I've been learning about the world I never got to see. He was even the one to get Ms. Jetstorm to allow me to join the crew. That's how I got here, meeting new and interesting people like you."

Sounds like the GFP broke up some illegal operation, though I doubt she would understand all the implications that carries. Devo nodded slowly. "He's a bounty hunter these days, then? What role are you hoping for?"

"I'm still working out how my capabilities will help the crew." The young woman looked back at the crates that she had knocked over before the conversation. "Though I'm still getting used to this environment so it might be while before I can be useful..."

"Don't worry too much about it," Devo replied with a wave of his hand. "I was just curious."

"So... what do you do then?" Elisa asked Devo nervously. "I mean, other then use psi..."

"Well, I'm going to be a hunter myself. There's plenty of people that need to be brought justice, and who better suited than someone with this kind of power?" Devo asked rhetorically, dismissing the drill and placing a hand over his heart.

"A valiant cause... maybe we could work together to make this world a much safer place." Elisa replied to the psion with a confident smile. "Someone has to... right?"

Devo shrugged. "If you know how to handle a weapon, you're more than welcome to take up the profession. I'm just getting started, myself."

"I've had some time to practice." Elisa's confidence remained as she made her claim. "I may not be the fastest on the trigger, but I have really great aim now."

"Precision weapon, then? A markswoman could come in handy for sure." Devo shot a hand out. "If you do join the active roster, I'll be looking forward to working with you, Elisa."

"I can say the same about you." Elisa stated, shaking his hand once more. "Maybe we'll have a chance to meet again before our first mission."

"Considering how cozy the ship is? I think it's definitely in the realm of possibility." Devo's smile brightened. "I'll be hanging out here and in the lounge a lot. I'll see you whenever you stop by."

Dahlexpert

The fallowing is done by DhalExpert&ShadowHounder

A special girl meets a cyborge

On board the golden wing

Elisa made her way back to her room, having finally explored the ship to the extent that she desired. The Golden Wind was such an interesting place... full of many intricacies and new people that Elisa enjoyed meeting. This world was far more vast and diverse then she could ever hope for... she could barely contain her excitement of what was going to happen this.

After a few minutes the young teen left her room, and ran into what felt like a metal wall. “Hay careful were you’re going.” Blisk looked at the teen Up and down.” Um are you sure you’re on the right ship kid?”

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there..." Elisa stated as she looked up at the man, caught off guard by his large appearance. After a moment, she realized the question she was being asked. "Yeah, I'm on Ms. Jetstorm's ship... is something the matter?"

"Your joking right, um are you a mercenary, a bounty hunter. Because you seem rather young to be with a group of let's be honest not the best people in the galaxy."

"No... I'm still learning about life outside of where I used to live." Elisa remarked as she stood up. "Oh... what's your name? Mine's Elisa."

"Ok hi Eliza I’m Blisk, so let me get this straight your for all intensive purpose a child on a ship filled with hired killers and people who do it for money. Kid are you sure your not on the wrong ship?"

"I'm technically not a child..." The young girl remarked nervously. "According to the law books I read you become an adult when you turn eighteen years of age... and I'm nineteen. And I haven't met anyone on this ship that's a mean person yet."

"There's a difference between a phicial adult and a menial one kid, now as for not meeting anyone that's mean, were not working yet kid. I'm sure if you saw us working, but let me go along with this. So Eliza was it, what brings you to this barley put together ship with a Mary band of misfit."

"I was allowed to join by the Captain. Ms. Jetstorm was interested in seeing if my capabilities where good enough for her crew and if there were ways we could explore them more." Elisa explained to the large man. "My friends aren't exactly the easiest to understand... even for me."

"Hum i'm sure JJ knows what she's doing, but then again this is a small starter up." Blisk rubbed his head."Alright Eliza why don't you tell me about yourself and what brought you here?"

"I'm here to learn." Elisa restated cheerfully. "Malcolm wanted me to be able see the things I never had the chance to... so he asked Ms. Jetstorm to let me join. Is there something that you would like me to clarify on?"

Blisk started to tap his foot.” Ok let’s play along.” He said to himself.

“Alright then you wanna see things you never seen before huh. Tell me Eliza have you ever seen a Kotavor before?”

"No... What are they? Sound like an interesting race of some kind." Elisa answered, a glimmer in her eyes signifying her interest rising.

“It’s what I am, see my race are very faun of augmentation and upgrading our bodies. Do you know what augs are?”

"No, I can't say I do." Elisa gave the man a confused look. "You don't seem that different from everyone else though."

“Well That Just goes to how good my augmentations are. Come on let me show you something kid.” Blisk took Elisa to the bar.” Okay kid I want you to feel my arms and my face and compare it to yours.”

"Okay..." Elisa was hesitant, but placed one hand on his left forearm and another on his right cheek, feeling his skin in order to figure out what he was talking about.

"Feel the difference my arms are made of metal, my skin is made out of armor plating it feel completely different from yours doesn't?"

"Are you sure about that?" Elisa looked up at Blisk. "Metal is supposed to be hard and cold... you're skin seems rather soft and warm."

"That's because my kind has been working with augmentations for a very long time, my kind make augs a little different than other races. But if I were to do this." Blisk took one of his hands off reveling the metal inside him. "See all metal."

Elisa tilted her head to the side as she looked at the man's exposed inner arm. "What's so unique about that? I've been told about other people with that same capability by Malcolm many times... so how is yours different?"

“Well there is a lot of things different with me the other people, like for instance.” Blisk looked around the bar and saw a stool. He pointed his arms at the chair and fired a Tesla coil at it.”

After the coil landed, a small swarm of nanobytes appeared and took the device off of the chair. Elisa's eyes glowed dimly, making it so only the most keen of sights could see it. The nanobytes quickly dismantled the electrified coil... before placing the many pieces back together once they seem satisfied with the tech. "Quite an interesting device you have there. Malcolm talked about technology using electromagnetic energy... but he never had the chance to show me how it worked. Thanks to you I have a better understanding of it now."

“Glad to impress, my legs are also augmented allowing me to jump fifty feet. And my eyes are also augmented.”

"Really? What part of you isn't augmented?" The young girl stated with a joking tone. "Are you even a person at this point?"

“If you ask Aya I’m not, but my heart lungs and spine are also augmented, but don’t worry I’m still just an average guy.”

"Speaking of Aya... I wonder if she's finished reading up on Malcolm's research..." Elisa briefly got lost in thought as she tried to predict how she would react to the discovery.

“What are talking about kid you got the Tamarin to do something useful and not complain?”

"She was the one who wanted to look at it actually." Elisa answered Blisk with a bright smile. "She was just as curious as I am to how my friends work... so me, her and Ms. Jetstorm are working together to figure it out."

“Hum yea well good luck with that, but don’t you have family Elisa or someone to worry about you being out here?”

"If I did, I wouldn't know." Elisa told the cyberized man. "I never met my parents."

“You Ugh never meet your parents, I’m sorry kid I didn’t know.”

"Don't be... leaving in a research facility wasn't that bad." Elisa giggled lightly. "Other then not being allowed to leave my glass box, it was a decent childhood with people taking care of me the whole way through."

“Hum say Elisa tell me is there something you haven’t seen or eaten that you want to try?”

"Not anything in particular..." Elisa's cheek turned a light pink. "If I were to focus so much of my time on one thing... there might be something else that I'll miss out on that could be cooler."

"I guess you could think of it like that, well then do you have a list of things that you wanna try while were still on this space station?"

"I'm fine with everything just being a surprise." Elisa looked up at the ceiling above them. "Life's not as wondrous if you already know what's up ahead."

"Well then how about I show you around the space station, get some food in your belly and probably get you some new cloths."

"There's not need really... I already got a tour from Ms. Jetstorm and I'm not all that hungry." Elisa's tone was that of a nervous child. "But thanks for the offer... it was very kind of you."

"Hum well then I got some things I need to do, but hopefully you do enjoy your stay with us kid. And try to keep your head down when bullets start flying alright."

"Um... sure, it was nice meeting you." Elisa bowed to the man, before walking off. "See you again soon!"

"Hopefully kid, you take good care of yourself and I hope you enjoy this weird group of mercenary." Blisk said walking off to the bar.

Last edited:

Insane Darkness

ZombieSplitter53 & Insane Darkness present...
A Hole-y-some Introduction

Blaze leaned upon a wooden wall that seemed to creak at a person's touch. A cigarette was pressed between his lips and his arms were crossed, staring off into space as a precaution before the stress of dealing with another person who'd likely hate his guts like the rest.

The steps of a light woman alerted him to the approach of a visitor, one he was expecting and shouldn't be too alerted to. "You know... they figured out those things were bad for you, like... a long time ago. Not one of the greatest things Earth introduced to the universe..."

"If there was anything else like a cigarette that was less harmful, people would be using it," Blaze stated simply in his heavy French accent.

"I suppose..." She shrugged. "Jackie-Jackie Jetstorm. You the guy I'm here to meet?" She tilted her head to get a better look at him. "You look like him."

"I doubt there are many like me." He raised an eyebrow at the insinuation there could be others like him. "Blaze Lachanse." He offered her a half-bow before returning to leaning upon the wall, which let out another creak.

"Don't worry, you are one of a kind." JJ giggled. "I'd never heard of an agnostic Celentius before you. You must have an interesting story."

"Most people who don't believe in religion don't have a story to tell. With Celentius, you'd think they'd have something interesting to say about it. Honestly, I must be a really boring guy, then." He took a drag off of his cigarette which was already 1/4th of the way gone, what was once there now a trail of ash.

"Oh, I doubt very much that you're all that boring. I wouldn't want you if you were." JJ grinned. "So what brings you to my little group? Heard about my kickass ship?"

He leaned over to tap the ash off of the end of his cigarette before letting out a stream of smoke. "I would imagine your ship is quite effective in places where I am not. I have had many ships fail, both expensive and undermanned as well as cheap and overstaffed. Each one was no different than the rest. I just hope you do not turn out like they did. They were only a minority, of course." Blaze waved his cigarette hand around dismissively.

"Of course. I don't intend to fail at anything. I have a 100% success rate so far at bounties. Granted, that's because I haven't taken many... but it will stay at 100% as long as I'm in charge."

"Glad to hear." Blaze offered JJ a smile. "Would be a shame for the world to lose a pretty face, much less a skilled bounty hunter."

"Aw, thanks!" She lightly punched him in the arm. "You're not so bad looking yourself. So... what skills do you bring to the table? Want anything to drink? Excuse me! Can I get something fruity!"

"Wine, s'il vous plait. Trying to calm the nerves, not lose them."

The bartender at the counter pointed at two seats before moving on to make their drinks.

"Shall we, Madame Jetstorm?" Blaze gestured for her to walk in front of him.

"So polite. I like you already." JJ walked forward and took her seat, waiting for him to take his before speaking further. "So like I was asking, what talents do you have? Both in a fight and on a ship?"

"I play what some would refer to as the assault. I have quite a few explosive options on top of my assault rifle. I have been genetically modified since I was young out of necessity. And I am also relatively average at medicine. Been studying more recently, but it is very clear I have much to learn." Blaze shrugged as the drinks slid across the counter in their direction. He picked his up and gave the bartender a thank-you gesture before taking a sip.

JJ sipped her own as she thought. "Man power is always good. And something of a medic, huh? No one else has brought that. The only one on board with any medical knowledge is the A.S.H., so you would be welcome with anything you know." She nodded. "Alright... I'm sold. When can you start?"

"Anytime. Had a few bounties I had my eye on, but I also didn't expect to be accepted." Blaze took a sip from his glass, placing the cigarette on the ashtray to finish later.

"Really?" JJ crossed her legs as she took a more ginger drink from her glass. "And why is that? Anything I should know about?"

"Most people are pissed off by my personality," Blaze admitted. "Laid back and brutally honest are the two traits most find undesirable. Cigarettes and wine help with that somewhat, but in that order."

"Ah, I see." JJ laughed. "That's funny. It sounds like you're describing my first mate, Aya. She's fairly laid back, and definitely honest to a fault. You two will probably get along... or not get along as your honest natures might clash. Point is I am used to that kind of personality."

"I could tell. Just wanted you to know what you were dealing with." Blaze took another sip from his glass, leaving half of it left.

"Well, I appreciate that. And I value honesty." JJ made sure to keep up with her glass, even if it was bigger. "When we are done here, I'd like to introduce you to Aya and show you my ship. Unless you have something to do first that is."

"Highly unlikely that anything would come up in the next few minutes," he replied, agreeing to her plans in his own way.

They chatted as several people walked in and out of the bar. One was a violet haired Tamearin looking a bit frantic. She quickly made her way to the bar. "JJ..."

"Aya!" JJ grinned. "Mr. Blaze, this is Aya. Aya, this is our newest boun-" Aya quickly covered her mouth, turning a few heads for a moment.

"Is there something I should know about?" Blaze asked, his voice deep with warning as he scanned the room.

Aya's eyes darted to him. She quickly looked behind her, then just as quickly looked back. "See those three meat heads in the corner? We've been looking for them for three weeks. They're a small bounty so we didn't put too much emphasis on them, but I spotted them in town and followed them here. Low time thugs that upgraded to murder a couple months back."

Blaze's mouth grew to a rather large smile. "That so?" he asked rhetorically, standing up and cracking his neck.

Aya looked him over. "What are you... just because they're low rank doesn't mean they aren't dangerous..."

JJ placed a hand on Aya's shoulder. "It's fine. He's the new hire. Why don't we let him show his stuff."

Blaze passed JJ to walk up to the group. His smile became more like a cocky grin. "Hey. Va te faire foutre." He removed the assault rifle from his back, cocking it before leaving it idly in his hands at an angle.

One of the smaller of the three piped up. "What the fuck does that even mean?" he asked as his friends started to stand up, cocking their own weapons.

"It means, 'Go fuck yourself', putain." Blaze fired once at the biggest one, which made a direct hit between the eyes. Singed flesh, meat, and blood shot out the back of his head before another shot took his heart. A spread of three bullets hit the second target's chest before his rifle was left aiming at the talkative one.

"O-oh..." he murmured, looking at the corpses of his dead friends.

As the criminal whose chest was riddled with shots finally thudded to the ground, a final shot rang out that covered the wall in brains.

Blaze started walking back before he did a combat roll that left him prone on the ground, his gun trained on the last guy's corpse. "Eh, one for good measure." The shot made the corpse jump before Blaze stood up once again, removing the cartridge and pouring out the ammunition into his hand to reload into another cartridge for later.

Several of the bar goers murmured and looked panicky, while others took it as just another day. For those a little more worried, JJ quickly pulled out her Bounty Hunter's License and started calming everyone down.

Insane Darkness

A Hole-y-some Introduction pt.2

Aya sighed, sitting down and sipping from JJ's drink. "Nice shooting. Though you know they are usually worth more alive then dead, right?"

Blaze moved to pick up his cigarette before shrugging. "Meh," he replied before taking a drag.

"It's fine, Aya." JJ sat back down. "They're worth the same either way. Besides, they were armed and outnumbered him three to one." She winked at Blaze. "Good job. I'm sold."

Aya sighed, but nodded. "Your quick reflexes and aim were impressive. If JJ wants you, I won't argue. Just know that we'll have a occasional job that calls for more then a 'shoot first, ask questions never' approach." She got up to talk to the owner.

"Don't worry about her," JJ said softly. "She gets crabby, but she's okay."

Blaze let out a long stream of smoke, letting it last as long as he could before responding. "She's not unlike me. I'm only easy to talk to because I have wine and smoke running through me. Compared to me, I'd say she's pretty nice, all things considered."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. At the very least, though, we have a nice cache of wine on the ship. Come on, I'll show it to you while Aya takes care of the clean up with the GFP."

"Lead the way." Blaze grabbed his glass, finishing it off and placing it back on the counter while tapping the ash off of the tip of his cigarette with his other hand into the ashtray.

JJ paid for the drinks and led him out of the bar. The town they were in was on a dustball of a planet, rich in minerals but lacking in moisture. It made the planet one big desert, with water fetching a high price. Luckily, the ship had food replicators so they didn't deplete all their credits getting a drink.

The large ship was parked just outside of town, the long, red space fairing vehicle visible for a while before they reached it. Once the did, JJ knocked on the side of it and asked, "What do you think? Pretty cool, huh?"

Blaze whistled in awe. "That is a big ship."

"Eyup." JJ pressed something on her wrist device and the side door for the ship slid open. "A bit of a fixer upper but it works where it matters." As she guided him into the ship, she asked, "You wanna see, um... the closest thing we have to a medical bay?"

"Saw a five by five room with a few paperclips in it that they called a medical bay. Yours is likely a much more impressive improvement."

"Oh, yes. We have paper clips and staples," JJ commented with a giggle. She led him into the ship and headed down the hall towards the back. "So how much hands on experience do you have with first aid?"

"On myself, plenty. Others would be less so. Most people don't want me touching them with a ten-foot pole, much less a scalpel. Or just with a bandaid."

"Well, when they are bleeding enough, they won't have a choice..." The pair went to the upper deck to large quarters near the front of the section. It was a decent sized science room converted from an oversized quarters likely meant to compliment the Captain's Quarters. It was somewhat sparse, however, and most of the scientific equipment looked second hand at best. The back half was clearly for medical purposes, several medical instruments lining the shelves and four medical beds along the wall.

"How many hires do you have?" Blaze asked after making himself acquainted with his new workplace, which meant merely going around and touching objects and opening drawers to see their contents.

The Cartus Captain briefly counted on her fingers. "Um... there are about a dozen of us now including you. Most are off the ship preparing for their new jobs at the moment."

"That makes my job--" Blaze grunted as he stood up, having been in an awkward position to look at drawers really close to the ground. "much easier. Hopefully, we do not have more than four injured at a time. Would not want to make a house-call, so to speak. Not that it would be truly that far away if I were to make one..."

"Not at all. While we're here, why don't we have a look at your room. I'll give you one close by." JJ smiled happily. She obviously saw things going very well.

"Good to hear. Most wouldn't be that considerate."

"No problem. Come on, I'll show you." She led him out and to the lift, bringing him to the lower deck and giving him the room directly below the lab/medbay. She opened the door to reveal a full bedroom with all the trimmings and a bathroom to the side. "What do you think?" she asked. "Pretty roomy, huh?"

"I've had to sleep in a plastic tube for an entire month. This... is a much better improvement." Blaze gave JJ a small smile, resisting the urge to grab another cigarette so as to not burn a hole in his wallet.

JJ clapped her hands together. "Well now, is there anything else you need or want to ask before I let you settle in?"

"Unlikely. I am sure you have things to attend to, ma cherie. S'il vous plait, go ahead and leave me be." Blaze bowed with an arm outstretched in a gesture pointed towards the door to signify she could politely leave.

JJ giggled, and bowed her head. "I can tell you're going to be loads of fun," she said as she took her leave.

Blaze's expression darkened as he turned to face the room. "I hope you do not come to regret that wording..." he muttered unintelligibly, closing the door behind her.

Insane Darkness

ZombieSplitter53 & Insane Darkness present...
The Anti-Social Wanderer Given a Chance

Very little light shone through the window behind Ella as she sat in a booth, a large rectangular table in front of her and a booth beyond that. Very little light at all seemed to make contact with that corner of the room, really. A few stains and scuffs perforated the depressing tabletop even though the place wasn't a restaurant, though likely was at some point. She sat with her arms and legs crossed, though her right arm was within close reach of her sidearm. Her sniper, while normally at an angle, was almost completely horizontal on her back.

A man in his late thirties walked up to her, clearly looking for more than conversation. "Hey, cutie. Wanna go somewhere? I can treat you right~."

Ella merely raised an eyebrow and tapped her arm.

"Oh, come on, sweetheart. Let's have a good time, just you and me!" The man walked forward, an expression on his face riddled with ill intent.

Ella grabbed and pulled him by the collar with her right and placed her pistol to his throat with her left, banging her hand on the corner of the table on the way up. After a moment of tension, she looked fiercely into his eyes. "Fuck. Off," she growled. She then pushed him away by the chest, a little harder than she thought she could.

He stumbled back but caught himself. To Ella's surprise, he listened and left her alone, mumbling incoherent things that she didn't hear but also knew she didn't want to.

As soon as he went around a corner, she cradled her slightly injured left hand. "Fffffffffuck..." she squeaked, curling her body over in pain as her ears drooped over her hair a little.

"Are you okay?" A Tamearin woman asked, walking over with a cautious but concerned look. "That was a bit intense."

"Nothing I couldn't handle." Ella took a sharp intake of breath before focusing her gaze on the woman. "Who are you?" she asked, inquisitively yet with an edge.

"Aya Me." Aya slipped into the seat across from the Shinso. "First Officer of the Golden Wind. Out and about looking for new recruits. And you?"

"People call me Viella One-Shot, but I go by Ella when no one's listening." Ella put her pistol back in its holster, keeping an eye on Aya.

"I see." Aya slowly scanned her. "Shinso, right?"

"Correct. Not a big one, but yes. Shinso." Ella looked at Aya's ears. "Tamearin?"

"Tamearin," Aya confirmed, and smiled. "You wouldn't happen to be looking for a job, would you? Because I might have an opening as a bounty hunter if you're interested."

"Interesting proposition. How much does it pay and how much do you need a sniper?" Ella fired back almost immediately, the two sentences seeming less legitimate and more of a habitual thing she's asked many times over.

"Pay is a large percentage of each bounty, plus free room and board," Aya answered, the answer seeming to be just ad habitual. "You'll get your own room and shower plus food replicator, and access to a holoroom for training or relaxation... or both if training is how you relax. And we don't have a sniper, so we could certainly use one. Do you have any other skills?"

"Engineering or a habitual techie, I guess." Ella tilted her head. "How... many times have you said that?"

Aya blinked a few times. "About the pay? Quite a few, actually. Not as many times as we have people, unfortunately. Negotiations seem to go south once I mention the captain, so I'll get this out of the way now, especially given you're a Shinso. The captain is a Cartus."

"I don't give a damn. People who care about race are petty, which, sadly, is quite a few people. I kill for a living. Why should I care what race they are? Same thing should apply to those who direct my movements. As long as they're good at their job, I don't have a problem."

Aya nodded enthusiastically. "That's the spirit! I like that way of thinking." She paused and hesitated before asking, "Have you been... augmented at all?"

"Cybernetic arm and implanted V.I." Ella tilted her head. "Something wrong about that?"

Aya tapped her fingers for a moment before slowly shaking her head. "Not at all. Do you mind if I ask... how you lost your arm?"

"I was on a mission and I was holding my sniper the wrong way. So, when I went to fire, it shattered my shoulder. Doctors threatened to charge me up the ass, but cybernetic replacements were not so expensive as to burn my wallet to ash like the doctors wanted to do." Ella removed her right-hand glove, letting the hunk of metal lean its wrist on the edge of the table as the fingers tapped away at the surface.

"I'm... sorry to hear that. Have you been on many missions?" Aya scanned the Shinso once more. "You seem pretty young if you don't mind my saying so."

"It's about... seven years' worth... averaging around two a month at the start... increasing in rate over time... Ah, fuck it. Vi, how many missions have we finished?"

"There have been 213 missions. Three were reruns." Vi's monotone voice echoed in Ella's head.

"213, though technically 210. A few ended up not being 'good enough' or the target somehow surviving."

"Whoa... and at such a young age..." Aya bit her tongue, resisting the urge to say something bad about the Shinso for enlisting a child soldier in anything they were doing. She didn't want to risk insulting such a prime candidate. "Well... I'm sold. You seem willing, capable, and very experienced. You, um... you want to check out the ship?"

"I have the time. Sure." Ella gave Aya a small smile, not willing to give her any more than that.

Aya nodded and led her out. As they walked down the street towards the station where the ship was docked, Aya said, "So you have a VI in your head, huh? That sounds interesting. Personally, I wouldn't like sharing room upstairs with a computer, but I imagine it comes in handy in a fight."

"Specifically for aim assist, probability, distance measurement, etcetera, yeah. She can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but I have nobody to fault for that but myself. It pays to have some semblance of personality around when you're completely alone."

"I can imagine." Aya glanced at her. "I hear the life of a sniper is a lonely one."

"Being forgettable is a good and bad trait. Let's just put it that way."

They reached the ship docks, and Aya pointed to the large, red starship in the middle. The glow from the setting suns reflected off its shiny coat, what the Shinso teen could only assume was the captain on a raised platform, shaking her booty to some Shinso oldies while polishing her beloved home/means of transportation. She wore very short shorts that showed off her curves and a tight tee exposing her belly, and had her hair tied back to avoid getting polish on it. She seemed to be in her own world as she moved to the beat.

"I... have no words." Ella blinked a few times, unsure if Aya was referring to the right ship. Although, with how... unique it was at that current moment, she didn't think it could be confused for another.

Aya was unsure if her speechlessness was a good thing or a bad thing. She let out a sharp whistle. "Captain! Potential new recruit!"

JJ looked back and waved. She slowly lower the lift to the ground and walked over. "Hey! I'm Jackie-Jackie Jetstorm! It is so... nice to... meet..." She trailed off when she got a good look at Ella.

"Right back at you." Ella gave the captain an innocent smile, holding out her right hand. She forgot that she was still holding her glove, but decided not to retract her hand so as to not seem disrespectful. "Viella, or Ella, if you wish."

"Hello, Ella. You... can call me JJ." She shook her hand, seemingly too distracted to even notice it was a prosthetic. "You're... interested in joining my crew?" She shot Aya a suspicious look.

Aya grinned. "She is. I was telling her how you said you would take all kinds, even a Shinso, as long as they were willing to work with you. Remember?"

Insane Darkness

The Anti-Social Wanderer Given a Chance pt.2

"I'm not racist, if that's what you're wondering. I've killed Shinsos and Cartus alike. Doesn't make a difference to me. Same thing applies to those who hire me." Ella tilted her head. "But... what was that?" She pointed a finger towards where JJ previously was, referring to her previous actions.

JJ looked up. "Oh, I was just polishing the ship. You know, make it look nice and shiny." She grinned. "Gotta take pride in your ship, you know. It is a part of you."

"That's... understandable." Ella wished to forget what she saw as soon as she could. "And that's the... Golden Wind?" She looked up at the ship itself while putting her glove back on.

"Uh huh. You like?" JJ stepped back to admire her own craft. "A bit of a fixer-upper, but it's home, and I love it."

"Maybe I can share that feeling with you after a while." Ella wiggled her fingers in her glove to make sure it was on right.

"I hope so." JJ rubbed the back of her neck. "I'll admit, I never expected a Shinso to join my crew, but you seem to be on the level. So, if you would like, I would love to include you amongst my crew. Did Aya go over all the business stuff with you?"

"I... Maybe? I'm not sure if it was EVERYTHING." Ella furrowed her brow, not really used to the business side of bounty hunting.

"Well, why not come inside and look around?" JJ offered. "At least see if you like the living arrangements?"

"Sure. Why not?" Ella took a step towards JJ, letting her know she was one step behind her.

She led her through the ship, showing her all the sights. The lounge, the meeting room. Engineering and the bridge. They stopped briefly in the holoroom, JJ saying, "Try it out. Ask the computer to recreate some environment."

Ella stepped into the middle of the room. "Abandoned city. Loadout: Bolt-Action Sniper."

A city quickly materialized around them, old and decrepit as a sign that it was long abandoned. Whole buildings were caved in and greenery had retaken parts of the cityscape here and there. Leaning against a building came the weapon she had asked for, a high powered, mag rail bolt-action sniper rifle.

Ella picked up the gun like it was second nature, giving it a flip before letting it rest in her arms. She looked down at her weapon before she pulled up a settings tab and started to fiddle with it. "Alright. Sound effects... Ah, there we... go..."

"Give us a target... 100 meters away?" JJ asked.

"Works for me." A target appeared 100 meters away like it had been demanded to before it immediately broke into pieces, the sound of ancient gunpowder weaponry echoing between the buildings.

Aya nodded. "Not bad. Four more targets. Two at 100 meters, one at 200, one at 300."

The one at 300 was immediately blown to bits with the two at 100 and the one at 200 following suit shortly after. Ella reloaded the holo-sniper with quick efficiency, cocking the gun for any other targets that the duo would point out.

The pair seemed impressed with that showing alone. "Where did you learn to shoot?" JJ asked.

"Self-taught. Why? Is there anything special about it?"

JJ chuckled. "Only that you're pretty darn good. We could use someone to watch our backs."

"I can think of a number of times we could have used you," Aya mumbled, brushing off bad memories. "At any rate, you are free to practice against moving targets whenever you wish. For now, why don't we show you your room."

"Sure. Lead the way." Ella placed the holo-sniper on her back where it merged with the real version.

JJ looked with fascination. "Oh... now that is a piece of history..."

"While I wish my sniper made those sounds, I merely change them whenever I enter a holo-room and I fire off a few shots. This one is purely top-of-the-line." Ella pointed a thumb at her back. "Meaning it doesn't fire off gunpowder rounds, obviously."

"Interesting..." JJ led her out of the room and headed towards the back of the ship. "How familiar are you with sniper maintenance and... repair?"

"I mean..." Ella paused, "I made this sniper myself. I maintain and upgrade it myself. Anything that isn't this current should be a piece of cake, if you're hinting at helping others with their weapons."

JJ nodded. "We have someone working on restoring weapons now, and any help you could give her would be great."

"I have very few other hobbies that aren't a form of work themselves. Restoring broken weapons happens to be one of them." Ella shrugged.

"We'll do what we can to accommodate those hobbies." They reached the crew quarters and JJ opened one of the doors. "Step inside. Tell me what you think."

Ella's eyes drifted over the objects in the room, to the bed and dresser to the walls. "This... is adequate."

"Good to hear." JJ pointed to the side. "You have your own washroom. You also have your own food replicator."

"Having to share can be quite the pain in the ass..." Ella muttered, recounting in her head incidents of incredible misery due to such a concept.

Aya nodded. "Agreed. I lived in a small orphanage with only one bathroom to be shared by staff and twenty children. Not fun..."

"I could see why not." Ella raised her eyebrows a little at Aya's situation. "Messy brothers were more my problem... and messy hunters."

Aya smiled. "Is there anything I can do for you before I leave you to settle in?"

"I should be okay. I appreciate your asking, though," Ella replied with a smile before moving to fiddle with her new living arrangements.

Aya gave her one last smile before leaving her be.

Ella took her sniper off her back, placing it by the bed. She took a moment to stretch upwards, letting it all fall down limply. "Alright. What to do next..."

BMPixy

ShadowHounder & BMPixy: “Stove-top Tri-tip and Jungian Ground Apples, Part One”
Somewhere in the Galaxy
Aboard the Golden Wind, Lounge

“Basil. Dried. 120 mL,” Chuck rumbled near inaudibly at the replicator. Behind them on the counter, spread across a large mass of parchment paper, is several dozen slices of tri-tip - salted, peppered, rubbed down with ground mustard, ready to be placed in the pan on the stove as soon as Chuck had the final spice for the dish.

“Repeat request,” the replicator answered.

“Basil. Dried. 120 mL,” the Azisin repeated, raising their voice ever so slightly. The oil in the pan began to bubble, the heat of the fire kicking into effect.

“Repeat request,” the replicator answered.

“Basil. Dried. One hundred an-” Chuck began again, before the doors to the lounge slid open, drawing the giant’s attention away from their task for just a moment.

“Repeat request,” the replicator continued, oblivious.

Elisa looked around the room as she wandered in. The place was different, but she was able to identify it as a cafeteria like location. After a bit of examining and exploring, Elisa sat down in one of the chairs to stretch a bit… as she had been watching for most of the time that she has been on the Golden Wind.

“Meal will be complete in one-half hour,” the Azisin uttered, their deep voice echoing throughout the lounge. With that said, one of the sensory Azis on their back kept one ‘eye’ on the girl as the main colony returned to the task at hand. “Basil. Dried. 120 mL,” they intoned at the replicator one further time.

“Repeat request,” the replicator replied. Had Chuck been a one-minded species, perhaps they would have begun to feel annoyance at this issue, but instead the Azisin continued their bullheaded attempts to get the replicator to understand them.

Elisa leaned to the side to see what was giving the giant in front of her issues. Once she gazed at the replicator, the device suddenly began creating the material the cook needed… even though they were mid-sentence when it happened. “There you go… it should recognize your voice a little easier now, mister.” The young girl remarked from behind the Azisin.

Chuck rumbled slightly, their way of giving thanks, and withdrew the small bowl of dried basil leaves from the replicator with one of their secondary arms. “You have means of remote repair,” they said in their trademark monotone voice, leaving room for doubt if this was a statement of fact or a question. As they asked this, the giant turned to the layer of thinly sliced steaks, and began lightly sprinkling each side with the thin leaves.

“Repair?” Elisa thought about the question for a moment before answering. “I didn’t actually repair anything. My friends merely rearranged some of the components to make room for the speaker. But the changes should allow the flow of energy to better transmit from your voice to the replication portions.”

“We did not see signs of assistance,” Chuck replied matter-of-factly, flipping over the steaks to season the other side.

“Most people can’t see them… so I can understand that.” The maiden continued stretching while she spoke. “But they can do a lot of things from their size. I doubt I’d be all that useful without them really.”

The Azisin let the girl sit in silence for a moment, as they moved the steaks into the pan, the kitchen coming alive with the sounds and smells of cooking. “So the one-minds do understand some things of symbiosis,” they finally intoned. “Mutualism or parasitism,” Chuck ‘asked’.

"I-I think it's mutualism... I'm not exactly sure how you would define them really." Elisa remarked, surprised by the sudden question.

Chuck rumbled deeply, 'staring' at the meat sizzling in the pan. "Nothing is without definition," they replied. "Do they benefit you? Do you benefit them? It is not difficult to consider."

"The thing is that I..." Elisa pressed her pointer fingers against one another as she explained. "I don't know."

"We... see..." the giant grumbled slowly, the vocalizing Azis filling for time whilst more socially capable members of the colony 'debated' how to respond to this information. "How does one not know if you are benefiting of or benefiting from?" they settled on asking.

"Well... I don't have much knowledge of the world beyond where I've been so far." Elisa replied to the giant cook. "I'm only just learning about how my friends work."

"Few have knowledge beyond what they have seen," Chuck said in return, flipping the steaks with one of their secondary arms. "And if you do not know much of them, why are they called that?" they added, the sound of searing meat rising once more as the cook stepped away from the stove to retrieve a bag of Jungian V Ground Apples from the pantry, setting them on the counter.

"Because they've been there for as long as I can remember..." The young girl said. "Is there any other reason I need to call them my friends?"

Chuck was silent for a long moment after that, chopping away at the ground apples, cutting them into evenly sized chunks. "We shall have to update our knowledge of that custom," they finally spoke. "Assumed before that 'friendship' was based upon growing knowledge of another. Begin as 'strangers', 'acquaintances', and then become 'friends'. Yet you claim it is formed based upon proximity over time. Interesting."

Elisa chuckled a little at Chuck's remark. "I guess if you spend enough time with something you can't help but start to like it..."

Chuck rumbled in agreement. "We see the benefit of this. Long duration proximity suggests a need to share resources. Competing over resources may provide long-term benefits should one party achieve victory, but short-term presents high risk in most cases," the Azisin analyzed aloud, spicing the ground apples as they spoke. "Thus, there is cause in 'learning to get along'."

"Well..." Elisa's cheeks turned a slight red as she thought about their analysis. "Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way..."

"Those who judge short-term risk worth long-term benefit," Chuck assumed, sliding the prepared vegetables into the pan alongside the steaks, turning down the fire slightly. "We find that less difficult to understand. Resources are finite. Those that are gathered by others are not gathered by oneself. Thus, one must claim and defend resources to protect and expand oneself. We have participated in this behavior before."

BMPixy

ShadowHounder & BMPixy: “Stove-top Tri-tip and Jungian Ground Apples, Part Two”

Elisa stood in the lounge, unsure how to respond to such a remark. She was starting to realize that Chuck was greatly different from everyone else she has encountered before. But she was unable to figure out what they truly were. They looked anything but human... but everyone else she had encountered still had emotions and personalities. This giant before her... seemed off in some way. The suspense eventually got the better of her. "What are you? Your race... I mean."

"Our kind do not have a name for ourselves," the cook says, stirring the potatoes slightly. "However, our kind have been called the Azis or Azisin by one-minds. We are many, working together for the survival of the colony."

"What's a one-mind?" Elisa asked with more curiosity in her eyes.

"One who is not our kind," the Azisin explained, flipping the steaks a second time. "In our travels, and when we have communed with others of our kind, we have not heard of another species like ourselves - only species that operate as singular individuals. Hence, because you have only a single mind, you are called one-mind."

"Great minds think alike..." Elisa remarked nervously.

"We have been told the most apt metaphor for ourselves is a society," Chuck continued to explain. "Much as how one-mind settlements require individuals to obtain food, refine resources, prepare defenses, and make decisions, so too do we. We have come together to form this colony such that all of us may survive better."

"In your own little colony... where no one is able to challenge your beliefs." Elisa placed a finger on her chin in thought. "I doubt I could live like that... there is just way too much to explore to confide myself into a village or even just a city. This world is vast, with more people then you could even try to count. In many ways... the individuality of us is was makes us special. Since no two humans are the same... you never know what to expect and you will always be able to meet someone new."

Chuck rumbled low and deep as they turned off the fire. "We have heard that argument before," they begin, gathering plates from the top shelf and portioning out the meal. "However, you make mistake in assuming that we are not individuals as well. There are three-hundred and eighty-seven of us. We speak as one, yet it is because that is the role given to one, so that others can concern themselves with their roles. These concepts are... difficult to explain in one-mind language."

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion." Elisa giggled lightly. "I'm not in the place to judge you for your choices anyway..."

"We are unsure where the idea of a choice came from," the Azisin stated plainly, gathering some barbecue sauce they had prepared earlier and drizzling it on the tri-tip steaks. "We are also unsure why it would be possible to judge it."

Elisa laughed at his remark. "You would be surprised the dumb reasons why people judge others. To think that at one point in time, your skin color was what people used to determine your worth."

The Azisin stood silently, not quite sure on how to respond to that statement. Instead of speaking, they chose to slide one of the plates of food before Elisa, whilst placing plastic wrap on the others so that they could be stored for when people were hungry in the future.

"Oh... thanks..." Elisa stated nervously, grabbing a fork and knife to eat the meal. She was starting to get hungry... so now was a great time to eat. The meat was pungent and gamey, with that unmistakable sourness of eating something that ate others. The spices and sauce did not reduce this flavor - rather, they enhanced it and added a level of savoriness to it, letting the meat's heavy taste hang in the mouth. The Jungian V ground apples almost complemented the meat with their sweetness and starchiness, a touch of salt bringing out the former flavor, yet did nothing to remove the meat's aftertaste. Quietly, across the counter, Chuck poured a glass of water for Elisa, looming above her almost like the Sword of Damocles as they awaited her judgement.

Elisa simply ate the meal in silence. She occasionally grabbed the glass of water for a small sip... but otherwise did little to move from her spot until the meal had been fully consumed. Sensing no objections, Chuck took the rest of the plates and stored them in the fridge - the sensory Azisin on their back keeping an eye on the situation, just in case.

Elisa wiped her face with a napkin before taking her plates to the sink within the kitchen. "Thank you for the meal..." She began to say... before realizing that she never asked for the giant's name.

Sensing this, the Azisin spoke up. "We have been referred to as 'Chuck'," they introduced themselves, taking the other cooking utensils from the stove and placing them in the sink as well, getting to work washing them. "We shall encourage this tradition. You have been named as?"

"My name is Elisa... it was nice meeting you, Chuck." Elisa stated as she looked at the small clock in the room. "I have more of this ship to explore... so I'll see you sometime later, okay?"

"We shall be here if you require sustenance," Chuck answered simply as they washed the dishes. "If not, there will likely be food in the refrigerator. We believe the correct phrase is 'have a pleasant day."

"You too." Elisa then proceeded to run off to her next destination... wherever that may be.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 & MarineAvenger: “Faith and Fate, Part 1”

From the moment Indra had been aboard the Golden Wind, he felt a sense that he was stepping out an old life, and into a new one. That sense came from the fact he felt so out of his element that it was downright uncomfortable. He was used to fixer-ups, the types of ships that made you wonder how they made the jumps they did. Not to say that his current station was the prettiest ship in existence, but he could appreciate the attempts at something aesthetically pleasing.

He stepped off the loading ramp and onto the metal hanger floor, making the lengthy trip from the hangar, to the lift, up to the security checkpoint. The activity in the space station could be compared to a regular shopping mall, with the rectangular lay out, with multiple floors and different shops all in their own nooks. People walked where they really felt like on either side, though it seemed to have a flow to the traffic that there wasn’t too many problems. He stood overlooking the area for some time, spacing out enough to not notice the person who had taken up position besides him. Assuming he was blocking her way once he had noticed her, he stepped to the side.

She leaned back, a silky black ponytail spilling over the railing. “Thanks for the spot, but any would have done.” She glanced back at the bustle of travelers and then to him again. “Haven’t I seen you aboard the Wind?”

“It’s entirely possible. I do not think I have had the pleasure of the same. You don’t seem that familiar to the few people I’ve glanced at.” Indra answered honestly, offering her an apologetic smile.

“Let me fix that, then.” She smirked. “Kazane Kyunasaki. I’ll be one of the better hunters you meet in this outfit.”

“I see you are also one of the more confident ones that I will meet as well,” Indra responded lightly, looking out to the shops and back to her. “Do you have any particular plans? Or just stretching your legs?”

“I’ve been thinking about buying a drink. It’ll be a good excuse to stock up - replicators can only produce average quality of liquor,” Kazane advised.

“I suppose they do not.” he agreed, looking over her a bit dubiously. “I assume you want some company doing so?”

Kazane shrugged. “Might as well get to know more of the crew. I don’t see why not.”

“You have an odd way of being indirectly direct.” Indra scanned the immediate stores. “I think we will need to see a directory to find a bar though.”

“Luckily for you, I already know a place.” Kazane started off to the left and flicked a pair of fingers back, signalling him to follow. They traveled through an increasingly narrow set of corridors, passing by a shop with a sign reading: “Augmet cs mporium.” Two of the letters’ neon had given out. Beyond that and through a sling of street stores, they slipped around the corner into a bar running vertical. Five rungs passed up before hitting ceiling, accessible through a narrow-winding staircase. Each level had a bar, which the ‘tender reached by elevating his platform up and down.

Kazane got them seats on the fourth layer up, ordering a drink with an orange on the glass and a yellow-green color. She kicked it back and took a long sip, letting out a satisfied breath. “So what’s your name, and where are you from?”

“My name is Indra.” he began, hand hovering around a wine spirit that Kazane wasn’t privy to the origin of. “As for where I am from… that depends. Where I was born, or where I am running from? I assume both are valid options to assume you are asking about.”

The Japanese woman chuckled. “I wasn’t precisely prying about your demons. Most hunters have those, and they share them if they like. You don’t look quite human, but I can’t place my finger on what homeworld you might belong to.” Kazane rolled her shoulders. “Admittedly, I’m not too familiar with the range of alien species out here.”

Indra closed his eyes, running a hand along his jaw. “My home world is the planet of Celentius. In the Dunari system.”

Kazane stared at him for a moment. “But aren’t Celentus…” She trailed off. “Ouch. That’s rough, buddy.”

“It is merely… an inconvenience.” he said, giving a half-hearted smile. “My wings were taken from me. This is true.” He took a sip of the wine, setting it down slowly. “Most hunters do have demons in their past. Very few have literal ones take what is most precious from them. Losing them was merely divine intervention. A punishment from the Goddess herself.”

“That why you haven’t replaced them?” Kazane raised an eyebrow. “If they fit my physiology, having mechanical wings would be slick.”

“One can not simply replace them!” Indra said quickly, and irritatedly, clenching his fist. He took a deep breath, “Uncalled for… you do not know. For a Celentius, our wings are our very connection to the Goddess herself. It is how she made us in her image. To replace what is lost is not an un-noble thing. But… but for us… this goes beyond possible. Some things are just sacred. A leg is a leg. Our wings… I’m sorry, I just would never think it possible one would do such a thing.”

Kazane blinked in surprise. Guess that Dondondari trader wasn’t kidding about the whole ‘ironclad faith’ thing. “Eh, I figured you had a good reason why you hadn’t. I won’t pry about it further.” She snatched the orange slice off her drink and bit into it. “You have any questions for me?”

“Probably. Many of them would be of the generic kind. I suppose… I should ask where it is you grew up in the fashion of being fair,” he decided on.

“Gonna have to be vague on that one,” Kazane admitted, tossing the remnants of the orange into a garbage disposal chute. “My home’s a long way off. May or may not be within GFP borders. Still human, though. Human and more.” She lifted a finger, compressing it towards her palm until he heard a faint whir.

“I assumed the question about the wings meant that you were more liberally minded about the use of augmentations.” Indra said, closing his eyes. He clicked his boots against the ground, making the ping of metal heard. “A souvenir from when I lost my wings.”

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 & MarineAvenger: “Faith and Fate, Part 2”

“I seem to be a magnet for people inclined to get their limbs blown off,” Kazane noted with a lighthearted laugh. “Partner’s augmented himself, though probably way more than you.”

“The legs weren’t really my choice. They were a… gift. My way to find some sort of redemption for my sins. In a more boring way, it was probably more just a gift for my years of loyalty.” he leaned back in the booth. “I grew up as a church page.”

“Your church has the resources to provide its members with cybernetics? That’s impressive.” Kazane took another sip of her drink. “I’d heard Celentus communities are usually pretty well off. Couldn’t have been that bad of an upbringing.”

“Unlike that of other civilizations, our clergy is our central power. We are a theocracy. This renders responsibilities of public service on the church as well. Clergymen are often trained for disaster protection, policing, and medical services. Hence the regular supply of cybernetics. We aren’t against them persay. We aren’t savages.” he mused with a smirk. “But there is a limit. If you were to go to my homeworld, many would look at you sideways, though as politely as they could.”

“Not as judgemental as a certain monkey-tailed species, though.” Kazane grinned sideways for a moment. “That said, a theocracy’s outside of my understanding. There are some religious people back home, but their beliefs tend to be second to pragmatic necessity.”

“Why is it they cannot be one in the same?” Indra asked, crossing his arms. “Humans have a complex of… compartmentalizing things until they become needlessly complex. Just as nature has an order to it. You would be hard pressed to explain any of it in its totality. Yet it just is.” he shrugged. “Things just work because that’s how things are sometimes. Part of having faith in something is surrendering to the uncertainty.”

“Oh, I surrender to uncertainty all the time. I get complaints that my flying terrifies people because of that,” Kazane replied, still jovial.

“A faith of a… different leaf then,” he agreed, nodding his head.

“I suppose. When it comes to religious faith… I think that one monk had me pegged.” Kazane closed her eyes for a moment, recalling the words. “He told me: ‘You seem to have a destiny of battle ahead of you - it might not be until your next life that you learn how to transcend.’” She opened her eyes again and shrugged. “He was probably right about that.”

“‘A life of death is like a cloud that hangs over the soul.’ A scripture once was quoted saying that. Instead, my master had a more nuanced view. He saw life like a box one resides in. One must choose whether said box is one of a present, or a coffin. The afterlife and what else may lie beyond is something for your soul to worry about, not your waking being.”

“That’s a nice common ground, then. I’ve got a lot to do in this world before my time is up, after all.” Kazane smirked. “Fighting, loving, flying, tinkering… all the good stuff.”

“I am glad you feel that way. Purpose drives someone. For me, that purpose is singular. To redeem my demons. And if that fails, I will slay them. Then, and only then, I will be content to die. The Goddess protect, I see my goal through. Though sometimes, I wonder if I even hold such blessings anymore.”

“Hey, if you survived getting fucked up as bad as you did, there might be someone looking out for you. I’d call her Lady Luck, but you’re welcome to see that how you want,” Kazane pointed out.

“I will be honest with you Kazane,” Indra said, looking at the woman with a perplexed face that hid both sadness, anger, and regret. “I have no idea what to think anymore. I have confirmed the existence of a devil. Yet I cannot determine myself if I have truly seen the Goddess or not. Perhaps I merely have been lucky. I will never truly know until I either meet her upon my death, or merely look into the uncaring void. At least with the latter, I would not have to avert my gaze in shame.”

“How are you so sure you’ve met this… devil of yours?” Kazane questioned him with an eyebrow raised.

“Several reasons.” Indra responded, closing his eyes. “He was the one who took my wings. I looked into his eyes and saw none of the Goddess’ light. He was the one whom took what I held dear most, and led me down a darkened path. How could you describe such a being, if not a devil?”

“By that logic, my old boss would be an incarnation of this devil,” Kazane contested. “Well, except for seeing something supernaturally evil in his eyes. That’s not exactly a subjective trait. I just saw greed.”

“There is one last reason, and I believe you could piece it out. Until I have resolved my quest with this devil… I simply cannot die. And that is perhaps his greatest sin.” Indra spoke as if that was a normal thing to hold.

“And that,” Kazane said before finishing off her glass, “makes us different, you and I. Got no need to hunt down my former compatriots - wouldn’t solve anything, and it’s more liable to get me killed than anything. I have grudges, sure, but they’re not worth dying over.” She flicked her hand to the side, holding her glass over the floor. Her reflection only partially warped in the glass. “I don’t pretend to know if your situation’s similar enough that you should let go or not, of course.”

“There simply is no letting go. It is not an option. It would make me more of a coward to leave it be.”

Kazane nodded. “Then I wish you luck. If we were to find that man… that something you need to handle alone, or would you not mind backup?”

“I… have not considered.” Indra said honestly, shaking his head.

“Well, unless you change your mind, I’ll help you put a bullet in the bastard if we run into him.” Kazane’s expression had leveled into seriousness.

“Thank you. Your offer brings me some measure of peace.” he rose from the seat. “I should see to my other matters aboard this station. It was nice talking to you Kazane.”

Kazane inclined her head in reply. “Until next time.”

Insane Darkness

Insane Darkness and Black0ut present...
Back and Forth Mind Games

Nick relaxed in what looked like an old Earth smoking lounge. Various people walked around the place as somber jazzy music played. He sat at a table, which was well-worn but homely. The chairs, however were closer to unreliable nuisances at best and determined to fall at worst. Nick slowly pulled out a cigar and lit it. He took a drag off it and visibly relaxed.

The ash off of the end of his cigar was picked up by a metallic finger as a girl passed him. Said finger scraped against the ashtray near him as the girl looked into Nick’s eyes. “Hello. Heard I could find someone matching your description around here.” She held her glove in her other hand, having taken it off to avoid damaging it. Her highly customized sniper rifle dangled behind her back, finishing its swinging back and forth as she stopped walking.

“Oh? And why would a fellow crewmate seek me out exclusively?” Nick asked, his charcoal eyes staring into her own as if he was judging her soul. “Especially an infamous one?”

“What do you mean, ‘infamous’?” Ella narrowed her eyes at the larger man.

“I doubt I need to explain why, Viella One-Shot. Or would you prefer Ella?” Nick took a drag on his cigar puffing out smoke away from her.

Ella quickly took a seat opposite of Nick, placing her side pistol on the table as she did so. “I spin this, whoever it’s closest to gets to ask a question.”

“What’s in it for me, besides answering my curiosity? Seems you want to know more than I do.” Nick raised an eyebrow tapping his cigar ash onto the ashtray.

“As if I’d be doing this if I had all the answers,” Ella stated blankly, spinning the pistol before Nick had a chance to respond.

“Fair, but I can also refuse to answer if I want. What do I get out of answering your questions?” Nick continued as a saxophone played some sorrowful music that seemed to bring an air of mystery with it.

The gun stopped spinning, facing towards Nick. “You go first,” Ella answered, seemingly both ignoring and addressing his question at the same time.

Nick hesitated but then shrugged. “What’s your specs?”

“Heavily augmented long-range armor-piercing sniper rifle, implanted Virtual Intelligence, and a cybernetic arm capable of deadlifting 160lbs, give or take.”

He spun the gun. “Well, you can ask what you want to know about me, then.” Nick said quietly, tilting his head. “At least, that is if you get the gun.”

Luck was not on Ella’s side, as it slowed to a stop to finally face Nick once again. “I think I rigged my own gun somehow…” she grumbled, furrowing her brow.

“Age.” Nick said, before flicking her gun with his military arm.

“Nineteen.” The gun stopped, facing Ella. “Success-Failure rate for taken bounties.”

“Alone, eighty-two percentile. With my friend, ninety-seven percentile.” Nick answered, his eyes never leaving hers and never seemingly blinking.

Ella spun the gun, glaring just as hard into Nick’s eyes. “Scared? Wonder what my hidden agenda is?”

“No. But you’re afraid of what I may or may not know. You really shouldn’t be, Ella.” Nick replied, his voice cool and collected.

“Quiet,” Ella muttered before the gun stopped while facing Nick once again. Ella clicked her tongue in annoyance.

“Why are you so worried about me?” Nick asked, his right arm clicking.

“I know you’re smart,” she replied blankly, spinning the gun once more.

“True. I am. But that is irrelevant if I misuse my talent… something you seem to think I’d do by profiling you.” Nick said in a normal voice, albeit one more mechanical than organic. He laid on a hand as the gun went back to her.

“Last eliminated high-priority target.”

“Eliminated in what capacity?”

“Bled out. Dead. MIA. Currently residing in whatever second life people desire to escape to after they pass. Caput. ‘No longer with us’. ‘We are gathered here today to mourn the death of…?’,” Ella trailed off, waiting for his answer.

“Space pirate, Terrance, alias; Terror Strike. Terrorised planets and killed around a hundred people. I ripped part of his spine out of his body.”

“Space Pirate? What a name. Should’ve known what was coming to him.” Ella spun the gun.

The gun seemed to favor her more as it pointed towards the middle. “Your question, Ella.”

“You say that like I don’t have eyes…” Ella started, grumbling at his comment. “Suppose I should have asked this earlier. Specs.”

“Military-grade arm with a built-in rapid laser rifle module; Military-grade storage leg. Civilian mode arm, as well as leg. Cybernetic lung and kidneys. Typical support rig for my cybernetics as well as a thermonuclear powercore to store energy for everything.” Nick answered slowly.

As she spun the gun one last time, she placed her finger next to the trigger before pulling the gun up against her head. “Nick Graves, alias; The Tin Man. An impressive success-failure bounty record. Sizeable cybernetics. What was the second question I asked you?”

“My highest eliminated target.” Nick replied, still unblinking and unmoving.

Ella’s right eye glanced to the side before blinking twice. “Yes. And now I’m out of questions. Go ahead.” She pointed the gun at Nick, her thumb hovering over the safety.

“Are we to be allies or enemies?” Nick shifted his right arm he had been leaning on, just in case he had to react to an attack.

Ella lazily moved her wrist so the gun was laying on her hand on its side. “I’ve asked zero questions that I could use as anything. If I was going to shoot you, this wouldn’t be the gun I would be using.”

“We both know you could secure and fire your rifle within mere moments.” Nick said, his eyes examining hers, noting the color, before checking out her ears and a bit of her fur.

“This is a sniper, not a submachine gun. Just because I know how to use it and I made it doesn’t mean I can use it on an enemy target that’s less than five feet in front of me.”

“A singular shot would be all you’d need. A careful shot to a vital point that isn’t cybernetic and I die, or am seriously wounded.” Nick countered, his intense eyes gazing into her very soul.

“I don’t need to poke holes through you and the twelve walls past you. Keep your pants on, Steely Dam.” Ella spun her gun around her finger before placing it back in its holster.

“In this business, it pays to be cautious of everyone, especially if they are your allies.” Nick snuffed out what remained of his cigar on the ashtray. “A hidden knife usually comes from those beside you, not your enemies.”

“I’m aware.” Ella crossed her arms over each other as she leaned over the table. “What do you do for the group?”

“I’m a bounty hunter.” He replied, giving her a blank stare.

“Fantastic. I meant specifics.” Ella glared at Nick, finding his answer to be annoying.

“I shoot guns.” He said smirking at how frustrated she was getting.

“I can leave.”

“You could. Remember, I didn’t ask for you to come talk to me. You came to me. You want to know things about me, to get information? You can be nice and play along or you get nothing. Understand?” Nick’s tone grew harsher, as he leaned back, taking off his trillby as he finally glared at the small Shinso.

“Not that I’ve gotten much anyway.” Ella sighed. “I can be nice, believe it or not. I’m just tired.”

“Then don’t take it out on me.” Nick’s tone softened only slightly, his eyes still hardened.

Ella took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Okay.”

“Now, what are you supposed to say in order to get me to give you any information you want?”

“I’m… sorry? People don’t often request apologies. They usually just bleed out.”

Nick grumbled, not liking her apology but accepting it regardless. “Gunner. I manage the ship’s weaponry and have my own area for attacking back. Anything else you want to know?”

“Favorite color? I don’t fucking know…”

“Purple. So, you decided to get upset with me for knowing your name and being smart? Anything else about me that unnerves you, then?” Nick asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You can literally throw me across the room like a balled up piece of paper.”

“I could. And while that would be somewhat cathartic, you’re an ally and thus I have no reason to do that unless you attack me.” Nick replied, his military arm transforming into its gun form. He moved it to point at the ground and away from her.

“I’d imagine I would make a nice thumping sound if you were to do so.”

“Probably. You are rather appropriately sized to make a thump instead of a splat.”

“Not that I’d want to test that theory…”

“And not that I would want to be liable for what would happen either.” Nick let out a wet scratchy sound that could be interpreted as a laugh. “So… what now? You’ve learned all you wanted to about me and I you.”

“I can leave you alone, if that is what you prefer. I assume that’s why you were here: to be alone.” Ella turned in her chair to stand up.

“You could, but you’ve already disturbed me; my cigar is out, the music has stopped playing and my time in here is nearly up. Pray tell, what does you leaving now do but leave me about a minute and thirty seconds for this simulation to end?”

“Leaving you a minute and thirty seconds to yourself? I doubt you had much of a chance to be by yourself before I ambushed you.” Ella turned to Nick to give him a sympathetic look before walking towards the door.

“No, but since you did ambush me, you’re stuck talking to me until such a time we both agree to part, Ella.” Nick stood up his arm transforming back.

“Is this not a potential time for that? I’m already halfway out of the room,” Ella called out.

“Well, that is true.” Nick grumbled before shrugging. “I’ll see you later then, little sniper.”

“For your sake, you better hope so.” Ella’s voice faded as she left, sighing when out of earshot. “I am the worst…”

Insane Darkness

Wits and Social Norms

A dozen enemies surrounded a foxgirl, ready to strike her down. In actuality, they were nothing but lifelike-targets, each dispatched with a quick slash or thrust that lacked any flourish but showed that the wielder of the energy blade had used such moves to brutally, and probably horribly, kill opponents that crossed her.

Titania kept at it for a couple hours before her fatigue with her armor caught up to her. Sweating a little bit, and a bit bored with the mindless monotony of her katana. She hit the switch on the energy sword as she pretended to sheath it.

“Impressive, if not a bit monotonous to watch,” a heavily accented voice called out from the doorway.

“Then stop watching.” Titania sassed, irritated somewhat at whoever was insulting her.

“I did, but before jou get jour tail in a twist, I never said it was not efficient. Besides, all any enemy of jours need to worry about are whether you’ll be cutting zheir head off. Monotony is likely the least of zheir worries.” Blaze waved his hand dismissively.

“Still doesn’t explain why you’re watching.” Titania started to take off her combat armor.

“Boredom. What else?”

Titania continued taking off her armor finally removing her chest piece which revealed a very loose shirt that showed off the kitsune’s girls. “And I take it you’re working with us?”

“What a shame, I am sure. Zhough, I doubt you will enjoy any ‘elp I ‘ave to offer jou with zat attitude. I would not mind keeping my distance if jou agree to do ze same.”

“I didn’t say that.” Titania said as she began removing the lower part to show tight fitting yoga pants. “But you don’t really start off as being anything save an asshole.”

“I am an ass’ole, mon cher. I do not expect jou to call me anyzhing else.”

“Then change to be better.” Titania growled, making sure to stick her armor under her arm. “If you don’t want everyone to dislike you and not watch your back on a mission, be nice.”

“Eh. Would require too much effort.” Blaze pulled a cigarette from its carton and his flip lighter from his pocket with some flair. He pulled upon the old rustic lighter to summon its small flame and lit his cigarette, of which he had put in his mouth with his free hand.

Her eye twitched. “Try it.”

As Blaze took a drag from his cigarette, he glanced at the foxgirl. He pulled the cigarette away from his lips and blew out a stream of smoke that he tried to prolong as long as he could. When it finally ended, he faced Titania directly, noticeably a little less uptight. “Zhat is why I smoke. People seem to like me more after one of zhese.” He gestured with his cigarette hand before returning it to its rightful place.

Titania let out a breath, still irritated, but giving the Celentius the benefit of the doubt. “Still. If the only way you can interact with others is by taking an addictive and harmful drug, chances are you need to work on yourself.”

“People are stressful and annoying. Cigarettes help me keep from being inherently blunt about how I feel. Until they create something like cigarettes with that desired effect, I'm stuck using them. Just how it is. And if I get cancer, I suppose it was just meant to happen that way.” Blaze fixed his eyes on the girl's. “What do you call yourself, la fille?”

“What does ‘la fi-’ whatever the fuck that was, mean?” Titania raised an eyebrow, as she walked over to where the holoroom’s exit, her presence making her seem taller than she was.

Blaze aimlessly followed her trail. “Simply put, it means 'girl’, as I have nothing else to call you. It is not intended as an insulting remark, if that is what you were wondering.”

“Titania.” The swordswoman answered, turning around to face him. “And you, Mr. Surly and Rude?”

Blaze took a drag, letting it out with a theatrical bow. “Blaze Lachanse, at your immediate service, mademoiselle Titania.”

Titania rolled her eyes. “You know, not being a dick at first would’ve been a lovely way to start, instead of critiquing me first thing. You’re lucky you caught me in a good mood or your cigarette would’ve suffered for your rudeness.”

“Would have been a shame, that.” Blaze took another drag. “What is it you do around here?”

“I fly.” Titania grumbled before shaking her head. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be so harsh. I fly the ship and one of the fighters in the bay.”

“Hard work?”

“Depends. The ship practically drives itself but staying awake driving an entire ship full of people and not being able to make any mistakes, especially since the A.I. assists, but that doesn’t account for asteroids, random ancient projectiles that can show up, pirates, and plotting strategic routes to avoid political problems.”

“So it helps with everything except what you would need an A.I. to help you with.” Blaze took another drag with a longer and stronger inhale.

“The boy in question can help, it’s just it also can be more difficult as well.” Titania tried to explain. “It’s hard to predict what can happen and since he can’t do anything more than advise and autopilot, that means real threats will be left to me and since I run the night shift…”

Blaze let out a big puff of smoke. “That sounds like some nice overtime.”

“Not really, but money is money.” Titania shrugged, before her face took on a more neutral tone. “What do you do on the ship?”

“I’m the medic. I doubt that needs to be explained.” Blaze’s lips upturned into a smirk. “If you ever get injured, I promise not to stare for too long.”

Titania raised an eyebrow. “I doubt you could even handle seeing me without a top on or actively trying to seduce you.” She countered before crossing her arms. “But far be it from me to stop a pervert from sneaking a peek.”

He let out a scoff. “I’ve had prettier women than you throw themselves at me and I didn’t even bat an eye. I’d love to see what you could do to cream my pants.”

“Sorry, babe, but if you were anywhere near my tastes, you’d have to try much harder than what you’re currently doing.” She raised an eyebrow. “So, what now? Shall we be at an impasse where you try to flirt with me, I flirt back, you use dry humor to deflect it, and thus we keep going until the universe implodes? Or are you going to talk with me like an adult? You can only choose one, mon cher.”

Blaze cackled to himself. “You have a nice spark to you. And while universe implosion would become better than thirty-five percent of my normal night-time activities, I have no complaints against civilized adult conversation. Whoops, looks like I added two extra words. Could we compromise, do you think? Somewhere between adult and civilized, maybe?”

“Perhaps. I am an adult and civilized so our conversation, at least on my end will be so. Not so sure about you.” She continued, the beginnings of a smile peeking at the corners of her mouth.

“Had you continued to hate my guts, I wouldn’t be willing. But you’ve intrigued me. What else do you wish to know?” Blaze changed his stance, actively expressing his interest in their conversation. The fact that he was holding his cigarette away from his body made that fairly obvious.

“Why’d you join the mercenary life?” Titania asked, tilting her head to the side.

“Adorable.” Blaze started, before his smile dissipated. “I am what people call the Archangel of Retribution. When I was 20, my parents were killed by a criminal known as Germane. I got to come home to a house riddled with blood-stained walls, gunshot perforations and burn marks, as well as two lifeless shells of what once were my mother and father. The assault rifle I use as my main weapon is the closest thing I could find to the weapon that had slain them. I wish to avenge them using his own weapon against him. THAT is why I became a bounty hunter, mon cher. The money, sure, but that is just to live long enough to spill his blood before mine stops circulating through my body.” He took an even longer drag than any before, a long line of ash falling off the tip onto the floor, of which he squished further into it.

“Fuck… that is some heavy baggage you got.” Titania visibly shuddered, already getting a mental image of what happened.

“You think that’s bad? A buddy of mine, Al Pache, had his leg cut off by a chainsaw by a buddy of his. Drunk as an Irish Tuesday, most undoubtedly. And, unlike what the rumors say, chainsaw and flesh do not mix. He had to suffer through that for about six months on top of being unable to find work until he took up bounty hunting, STILL MISSING THE LEG. Got enough for the cybernetic replacement after a good two years. Best damn shot I have seen yet.” Blaze smiled at the memory of his friend. “I do not see much of him nowadays. I am sure he is fine, though.”

Insane Darkness

Wits and Social Norms pt.2

“Fair enough, maybe you can introduce me to this friend of yours eventually. He’ll probably not be rude to lovely foxgirls unlike a certain Celentius....” Titania half-teased, half-asked, her ear twitching slightly.

“Yeah… ‘Lovely’...” Blaze dryly repeated, his mouth still upturned in a smile.

“Dammit, I walked into that one…” Titania grumbled lightheartedly, playfully punching his shoulder.

Blaze chuckled. “If I have two patients in critical condition and you’re one of them, I’ll help the other sorry sap every time. But, I suppose, if you were to kill them before they could kill themself, I might be left without a choice.” Blaze shrugged, a cocky grin on his face.

Titania raised a middle finger. “Well, if I had to save you or one of our other companions, I’d choose someone else to… besides, a new scar to your face might be an actual improvement.”

“Fair enough. Might make my cheekbones more defined.” Blaze’s grin merged into a full-on smile with teeth.

“Definitely. Who knows, Miss Galaxy, or whatever inane beauty pageant is currently running, might just be able to tolerate your presence then. Who knows, you might, God forbid, get a girlfriend.” Titania sassed.

“Because someone with a hidden agenda like yours, ASKING to get stripped in front of a group of guys, screams, ‘I am in a relationship and I am sexually confident!’.” Blaze raised an eyebrow to follow his retort.

Titania snorted and rolled her eyes. “Why do I have a feeling you’re going to be a persistent in trying to outdo my retorts to your comments? Should I take it the almighty Angel-like man has suddenly lost his taste in women and now compares me to any whore at a brothel?”

“I believe even brothel whores wear clothing thicker and less revealing than this.” Blaze pulled on the sweaty t-shirt by the sleeve, letting it return to its normal position afterwards without revealing anything that wasn’t already out for the world to see. “And a Frenchman does not lose if he surrenders. You have yet to get me to that point, so I have no need to do so.”

“Keep touching my shirt and I’ll have to decide whether I get to kick your ass in one way or another.” Titania warned, raising an eyebrow. “You’re also beginning to have delusions. Might need to get your eyes checked, seeing as you think prostitutes wear more than a t-shirt.” She chuckled. “Are you feeling alright, Blaze? Should we bring you to a doctor?”

“I suppose we could, but it seems there’s one right here, la bien-aimée.” Blaze took another drag from his cigarette, the remains of tobacco lacking severely by this point. He flicked the bud into the nearest trash can, which was about 15 feet away, making the shot with near perfect accuracy.

“See, I meant a real doctor, not a medic. After all, only real doctors refuse to insult their patients… unlike the lonely man who’s only gotten head from Mr. Handy.” Titania raised an eyebrow as she turned to walk out of the room, her smile growing.

“Mr. Handy, I assure you, is better at his job than anyone else. And a doctor, in actuality, is just a medic with a license. I say fuck the debt, I am good enough at my job to get a profession out of it without the damnable license.” Blaze flapped his wings to pass Titania in order to keep eye contact with her. “And a man is only lonely if he desires the touch of another. The only touch I need is Germane’s blood on my hands. Then maybe a woman’s touch would appeal to me. Or a man’s. Who knows.”

“Hey, maybe you’ll fuck a girl with the blood still on you. Who knows? I support your right to your many, many fetishes.”

“I am sure the girl would have a cuckold fetish, if that was the case. And that is a hell no out of me.”

Titania burst out laughing, having to pause as she tried to regain her composure.

Blaze started walking backwards out of the room, slow enough to let Titania know he was waiting for her to follow. His wings twitched on occasion. “Truth is often funnier than fiction.”

“Apparently so. I’m going to have to invite you to any get together I have going on.” Titania managed to say as she slowly trudged after him.

“Might need me if you ever suffocate on laughter.” Blaze shrugged, his path down the hallway being perfectly down the center.

“Oh, is that how you get kissed, making people fall unconscious, just to start making out with them? How scandalous…” Titania walked on his left side, trying to suppress the smile she had.

“Well, if that were true, you should probably put on some lip gloss beforehand. I am terrible at makeup.”

“Oh? Good to know that the four-winged angel might have a secret desire to kiss me. Sorry to burst your bubble before it began, but you’re not my type. Too many feathers.” Titania teased.

“Unconscious people don’t have opinions,” Blaze noted, wagging his finger. “Otherwise, how could I potentially kiss all of those who freely offer their bodies for my scandalous schemes?”

“Eh, maybe you just ask them instead of stalking them.” Titania laughed, as they began to near the turbolift.

“If you haven’t noticed, I don’t enjoy bending over backwards for anything or anyone. Should be obvious that’s not an option for the French Rapist, my inner persona that hides in waiting for the perfect time to take over the world with his ridiculous schemes and underhanded tactics, not to mention his dastardly motives. Oh, those motives…” Blaze shook his head.

She stepped inside, gesturing for him to come with. “Mind telling me said motives?”

“I doubt even you could handle his motives.” Blaze fake-shuddered.

“Why? Is it because I’m so petite and helpless?”

“Quite the opposite. I feel like he targets strong women at their weakest. What a cruel man, that one.”

“Oh no, whatever will I do?” She rolled her eyes once more as the doors closed and practically popped them out a few moments later into the crew quarters.

“Hm. Guess it’s not my problem. You are a strong woman, you will--Oh… Right.”

She stepped out, rolling her eyes once more. “Friend, you’ll need to work on your taunts.” She stepped next to her door. “I’m going to go take a shower. See you around?”

“If you’re unlucky enough.” He waved a dismissing hand as he opened his room’s door.

Insane Darkness

A One-Sided Interaction

Loud shots echoed out within the holo room, though the noise didn’t carry outside as much. Holo targets broke into tiny shard piles as holo bullets ran through their centers, one after the other. Every shot was followed by the drop of a metal shell, as Ella enjoyed the old-style sounds of ancient weaponry that her own weapon wasn’t able to offer. She was laying upon the ground, gripping the holo sniper she fired with.

A foxgirl casually stood inside, leaning against a wall as she read a book.

Ella adeptly grasped her sidearm holo pistol and shot two targets that appeared by Titania’s head, her cybernetic arm continuing to fire at the targets in front.

The foxgirl growled a little, her boobs jiggling somewhat in her loose t-shirt. She shook her head before she resumed reading, glancing up now to see if the woman would shoot at her with fake bullets again.

The holo pistol was left at her side once more when she looked. “How’s the book?” Ella fired two more times while she was speaking.

“Pretty good, though the male protag just thinks with his dick. Like, no self-respecting woman is going to be okay with you trying to hump anything with tits, a pussy, and a pulse. Still, the setting and the female side character keeps me reading.” Titania answered, her eyes going back to her book once she was done speaking.

“Has she fallen for him yet? Figured that would be next, if a character like that guy is the main protagonist.” Three more targets fell to the ground in shambles.

“Nope, she rejects him each time, and now he wants her even more. I’m hoping she makes him a better man, but, eh, that’d be too nice, given that authors like dramas.”

“Well, hopefully, she keeps it up,” Ella stated with some finality, firing off many more insanely accurate shots.

Titania absentmindedly grabbed her sword and cut up, slicing through the target that appeared in front of her. “I hope so. She’s made the guy abandon his sleazy lifestyle a little bit, at least, at the part I’m at.”

“Hm.” Ella shot two more targets before speaking again. “How long is the series? Just one book?”

“Apparently four, but they’re exceedingly hard to find. Still, love reading it cause it’s like a stellar collision, you just can’t look away.” Another two slashes hit two targets as she kept reading.

“Understandable.” Five more targets shattered in a row before she stood up, placing the holo sniper on her back. As she did so, it materialized into a real one and her pistol sidearm did the same.

“Yeah… You done working out, then?” Titania bent a page as she closed her book.

“Refreshing muscle memory. And yes.” Ella stretched as high as she could before letting it all limply fall back down.

“Great.” Titania unsheathed her sword, which was just a hilt since she hadn’t activated it, and stepped forward. “Beat Jam Simulation.” She said before the scenery dissolved into a street corner. “Come on. Give me your best shot.” Holograms surrounded her weapon as she switched hands, the hologram katana making a ‘vwoom’ sound as she swung it.

“Can’t even give a girl a break?” Ella asked, clasping her hands behind her back. She typed away at a microscopic loadout menu, recalling each of the options as Vi replicated them in her vision.

“Let me know when you're ready. I wouldn't want to catch you off guard. Ruins the training if I did that way.” Titania swung her sword one more time before deactivating it, only the handle remaining in her hand.

Ella walked to a spot where she was eight feet away from Titania before pulling her arms out from behind her back. She held her hands up empty-handed before moving into a backflip. 3/4ths of the way back to the ground, two submachine guns appeared in her hands, spraying down Titania with a rain of shots from the ground up.

Several bullets hit the fox in various places, most being deflected by a twirling blade of energy. Titania dove behind a pre-spaceflight Earth car, a look of irritation on her face. “Thanks for the heads up on when you were ready. Really appreciated it.” She called out, bringing in her own gun as she waited for the stream of bullets to die down a little.

As soon as Ella’s toes hit the ground, she cartwheeled to the side and let go of her weapons. Two small strings dropped down from the triggers before her feet moved up to kick the weapons to shoot at Titania from above. “I’m not ready. You think this distance is comfortable for a sniper?” As the shots ended, Ella pulled the weapons back before two clicks could be heard near her.

Titania dashed away from the car, which promptly exploded from the abuse it took. What the fox had failed to notice was the two grenades that exploded on each side of the car. Deciding the best course of action in the small amount of time she had while the grenades detonated, she dove down onto the ground and fired two bursts before gasping for air, the shockwave having knocked the air from her lungs and bruising the hell out of her chest.

Providing her dazed self some suppressing fire to keep Ella away and focused on dodging, Titania kicked in the door and crawled in, assessing the damage.

A shot took out a chunk of her left shoulder as she made it into the tenement building, the sound of an empty cartridge dinging off the cement. Footsteps made their way to the door, stopping a few inches from the broken wood pieces scattered upon the floor after about eight seconds.

Titania had managed to get up and made her way past a wall. She cut past the wall to the back alleyway, enabling her to escape and regroup from the trap she suffered from… two apartment lengths down.

A drone hovered above the buildings in the area as it tracked down Titania’s position at a faster speed than most of its size, a low noise coming from its body. As it made a triangle around Titania’s calculated likely position, Ella took another side of the triangle, keeping to the shadows and leaping over gates one after the next.

A quick shot from a window brought the drone down, Titania grimacing as she knew Ella was coming in full force. She had to get closer otherwise she would simply lose. An idea popped into her head as she jumped up, cutting a hole through the ceiling then through another wall.

The low humming resumed just as a shot hit the building Titania was in.

Titania kept cutting holes through walls, specifically three more before the last wall was in view before she pulled back. She went to the third from the last and hid in the tub, hoping it would provide some resistance if shot from below.

A sniper shot went through the walls, its trajectory right in front of Titania’s face and going through the entire building. “Damn… Echolocation on a damaged drone is really unreliable…” Ella quickly relocated to a different position, firing a few bullets in Titania’s direction as she moved from building top to building top.

Titania dashed away as silently as she could slicing down through the floor. Running back through the holes, (And making additional ones to not run in a straight line) She arrived at a kitchen wall; It had a window leading out to the street but she was saved from visual confirmation by some drawn blinds that covered it.

Another few shots ripped through the building, taking out the ceiling and floor of the second story. Silence and burning fire, other than a low humming, were the only sounds left as Ella tactically reloaded.

Titania twirled her sword as she busted through the window, knowing full well that she had a good chance of being shot despite her sword's reflective properties but knowing that if Ella missed her vitals and her limbs, she could get up to her and finish the fight in a hand to hand.

Wishful thinking was not reality, however, as her left leg was shot completely off. The smell of burning flesh and cement on a hot day permeated the air around Titania. Ella kept her cool as she watched Titania’s next move through the judging gaze of her scope.

Titania gritted her teeth, checking her left shoulder. The wound had sealed up nicely allowing her to move the arm more effectively. “Don’t count me out just yet…” Titania growled, as she suddenly sprang forward, her left arm acting like a leg while her sword arm kept spinning.

Insane Darkness

A One-Sided Interaction pt.2

Ella disappeared off of the ledge before she reappeared, leaping from the top of her building to the one across from hers. Deftly, Ella pulled out her energy blade from her shoe and unleashed it, jamming it into the wall between the second and first floors before she slid down, firing away in Titania’s general direction with her pistol, having dropped her sniper up where she was previously.

Several shots connected, despite Titania switching the blade’s direction. Seeing the burning husk of the car she bolted to it, and used it as cover to switch weapons, the deactivated sword going onto her hip.

Emulating Titania, Ella cut a hole into the side of the building, disappearing into the dark depths of the extremely damaged building.

Titania groaned before she followed suit, entering the first floor kitchen window. With a lack of a leg, she found it hard to keep balance. She let out a pained sigh as she twirled her blade back into her right hand, her gun in her left, as she searched for her opponent.

Footsteps upon creaking wood were heard from all directions, none of which making Ella’s position any more obvious. The low humming noise that could be heard just a moment before was eerily no longer present.

Titania, unable to walk hopped, taking it slower as she cleared corners before preceding into rooms, now on high alert due to the vicious attacks that had crippled her. “I swear if you do something weird…” She grumbled to herself, knowing Ella had the advantage.

“Weird? Like what?” a distorted voice asked seemingly from all directions.

“Like using vocal distorters to make it so you sound like you’re everywhere.” Titania replied, now in a bedroom. “So are we going to be talking until one of us takes out the other?” She closed the bedroom door, her sword aiming at the door ready to extend at a moment’s notice while she held her rifle pointed at the opening she had used to traverse the building.

“Sure. What do you want to talk about?” a cheery voice replied.

“Why are you toying with me?” Titania asked, doing a roll as she made it to the hole her gun aiming at the only way to approach.

“I figured I should before you were able to get within close enough proximity to me to give me a hug. Snipers aren’t so close with hunters like yourself. I’m sure you understand.” Ella’s voice held a semblance of seriousness with its joking nature. “Makes us rather uncomfortable.”

“But then why hide?” Titania asked, before she realized what she had just done. She had allowed the sniper enough time to get to her gun. “I only have one leg.”

A shot ripped through Titania’s left lung, narrowly singing her heart. “I’m not hiding. And now you only have one lung.”

Titania grimaced as she worked her way to the back alley that Ella didn’t have a shot at. She scanned for the drone again. “Heh… I know I’d be coughing up so much blood right now if our weapons were real.” She said quietly as she aimed for the drone that was broadcasting her location and giving Ella a voice.

“Yes, and I’d likely be dead even with all of my advantages,” the drone repeated before it was shot into silence.

“Rude…” Ella muttered, taking a shot through the building once more in Titania’s potential direction, of which ripped into the back of her right thigh.

“Goddammit…” Titania hissed as she crumpled to the ground. She crawled forward in a vague attempt to salvage the situation she was in. She knew she couldn’t take another shot, but… Titania’s gun pressed into the remains of her left leg. I could shoot her… We are at range enough that I could do so… but how to not get shot from that weapon from hell…?

Titania nearly made it to the corner of the building closest to Ella’s sniping perch, her healing factor helping but still far off from fixing her leg. “Now if I really wanted to humiliate my enemy, who I’ve disabled, I’d…” Titania turned around her eyes darting back as her sword was held out just in case Ella got within six feet of her on that side, while her gun pointed towards the street.

Rapid footsteps headed towards the opposite side of the building followed by a low humming could be heard originating from the front of the building.

“We’ve got you surrounded. Come out with your hands up,” a stern and distorted voice ordered, the existence of individuals other than Ella and Titania not present anywhere.

Titania had to suppress a laugh, managing an inaudible wheeze. Grimacing immediately from the pain of doing so, the foxgirl used her sword to cut a tiny hole through the wall, close enough to the floor to singe and be out of eyesight, but small enough that it barely allowed her through. She mentally groaned as she realized that she was under a table with various chairs blocking her sight.

“I rep--t, come o-- wi-- GOD DA-- MOTHERF-- WOR--” After a few more cut out swears, there was only silence and the murmurings of defeat. “Fi--... wha-ev-r…”

Titania again laughed without noise only for it to devolve into soundless wheezing. She waited, knowing full well she had stealth to her advantage. That is, before she realized her tail was still out of the building. With panicked haste, she curled it around her hips.

Ella’s own tail swished side to side as she rounded the corner to the back alley, just narrowly noticing the tail being removed from sight. A quick-scoped shot singed off a tuft of hair from Titania’s tail while simultaneously causing the chair next to her to fall over, having taken out one of its legs.

“Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!” Titania quickly yelled as she crawled out from the table with an obscene amount of noise. “Did you really need to shoot my tail?!” Titania growled as she backed herself up to the sink. Aiming her rifle at the open door that was the only way Ella could arrive and shoot Titania without risking getting shot herself.

“I ca- shoot i- again, if y--’d like.” The voice sounded as if Ella was smiling as she spoke. No one walked into Titania’s line of sight, nor did any noise follow.

“I can cut yours off.” Titania said loudly, before tossing herself forward with the help of her re-healed leg across the room.

A shot burned off a huge chunk of Titania’s hair as she dove forward, the trajectory headed towards where Titania’s head once was. “Oh re-ll-?”

Titania’s eyes practically glowed from rage. Deciding that she was done with Ella’s shit, a laser gatling gun materialized into her hands after she stowed her other two weapons. She immediately began firing at Ella with the full 6000 RPM the laser weapon had to offer.

Ella immediately dove sideways onto the ground, taking half a second to align herself to shoot Titania in the head. Laser rain flew by her just where she was only a moment before, getting closer by the millisecond, a few rogue shots taking out clothing and flesh. A final Hail Mary shot left Titania’s brains on the wall and Ella’s lower body looking like swiss cheese. Two shots whizzed through Ella’s hair just as the simulation ended.

Titania glared at the Shinso, her heterochromatic eyes staring daggers into her. “You didn’t have to shoot my tail.”

“You have a nice tail. I’m glad I didn’t have to see what it became.” Ella stuck out her tongue as she stood up.

Titania crossed her arms, still obviously irritated with Ella as she stood up.

Ella sighed, placing her sniper on her back. “I’m sorry I shot your tail.”

“Apology accepted.” Titania replied, somewhat appeased. “So… why did you use multiple weapons instead of the ones you have equipped?”

“I’m an engineer of sorts. I try to see what works in combat and what doesn’t in specific situations. Almost everything I did today was successful in some way or another,” Ella explained. “I appreciate you volunteering, though.”

Titania walked over to the Shinso and looked down at her. “You’re getting picked up.”

Ella stood still for a moment, processing what she heard. She immediately tried to dash away, sidestepping Titania on the way to the door.

Insane Darkness

A One-Sided Interaction pt.3

Or so she thought as two arms picked her up and hugged her. The taller foxgirl walked to the door letting it open automatically as she walked out. "Sorry, but this is how you're gonna make up shooting my tail."

“This is… not okay…” Ella complained, now limp after giving up any hope of escape.

"Neither was shooting my tail." Titania countered, as she approached the lift. "But, if you keep complaining, I can and will give you something to complain about."

“I… don’t think I want to know what you mean by that…” the snow leopard girl mumbled.

Titania giggled. "So, what's your name, sniper? And how old are you?"

“Viella and 19,” was her quick habitual response.

"Viella? Cute name. You must get all the guys attention." Titania smiled, as they went into the turbolift, one arm around her as the other used the controls. "Anything you want to ask me?"

“Are you normally this demeaning to those shorter than you?” Ella asked with a hint of rhetoric, looking down at Titania’s arm to gesture to what she meant by demeaning.

"Says the sniper who toyed with me to a near sadistic level." Titania raised an eyebrow, her smile dropping. "And I'm not trying to be demeaning. I am actually very nice normally. Any other questions?"

“Are you normally that scared of snipers? Or am I just the small exception? Pardon the pun.”

"I'm not scared of you or any other sniper. Only being armed with my sword and my gun in loose clothes while you have a plethora of weaponry you spawned in meant I was going to lose." Titania replied, flicking the sniper's neck. "Which in a simulated fight is cheating, but whatever. Just means I'm going to walk around with you for as long as I want."

Ella rubbed her neck where she was flicked. “I’d say less cheating, more… adapting to the scenario.”

"So equipping an arsenal of weapons that I'm fairly certain would be too much for you to move quickly, with a drone that magically appeared, that is not cheating. That's adapting to the scenario?" The fox repeated, Ella practically feeling the disapproving gaze on her.

“When things just… appear… not being able to move quickly isn’t exactly a problem,” Ella countered.

"Then you're not learning anything, you're playing around."

“Fair point. Although, I learned quite a bit, actually. Using so many weapons made me think how I could develop ways to hold that much on me at a single time.”

The doors opened and the pair left heading for the lounge. "Still doesn't mean that you did anything to improve your skills in the training room. So…" Titania set down the sniper and took a couple steps away. "Try to hit me with your fists or a melee weapon."

“You mean throw myself into a suicidal position?” Ella rhetorically clarified, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, I'm not going to kill you and seeing as you didn't take the holoroom serious, this is more practice where you'll actually learn something from it." Titania smiled, holding out a hand. "Besides, with my gene mods, I should be able to block most of your attacks and offer you positive criticism on your strikes. In return, you'll give me advice on how to better avoid snipers outright taking me down. What do you say?"

“I’d say you’re secretly trying to kill me. But I suppose I’ll humor you.” Ella let out a sigh before she stanced up, bouncing a little on the tips of her toes.

"Remember, no heavy fighting since we're out of the holoroom." Titania warned, standing up with her shoes lined up on the ground, grinning as they began to spar.