The Starstream Adventures! (Sci-fi RP)

ShadowHounder

Frostlich and ShadowHounder: Contract of Blood and Faith Part 3

"Did... He not believe my people exist?" Nessiera seemed confused.

"No, he just doesn't believe a word I say." Drake remarked.

"Well... You did tell him you would give hom immortality if he let you experiment on him." The young girl remarked.

"How was I supposed to know that Tortoise and Rhino DNA would have such an adverse effect? If anything he should be happy he's still alive." The scientist grumbled quietly as they waited for a response from Westwood.

"Tortoise and..." She looked back and forth. "I trust you're not the most academically accredited scientist, are you?"

"No, he's a criminally accredited one." Sunflower gave Nessie an innocent smile.

"Haven't quite taken that Hippocratic Oath have you?" She teased.

"The only oath I ever took was the oath to advance science to the best of my abilities... Regardless of the who has to get involved." Drake began his tangent, only to be cut off by Sun's jagged finger inpaling his side. Within seconds of the attack, Drake vanished from sight, the ravenous girl giggling with obliviousness. Her laugh was stopped short as she was suddenly lifted by her leg and thrown into the nearby wall. Drake reappeared with a disappointed glare on his face. "Consider that your timeout..."

"You two seem stable. Although unstable people do have certain uses." She tapped her chin. "I am Nessiera'tora."

"I heard someone wishes to have an audience with me." A rugged, yet commanding voice echoed from within the hallway. "What is it you wish to discuss with me, Nessiera'tora of the Laepaede?"

"I take it you're 'The Master', I am Nessiera'tora, but I am no longer officially of the Laepaede. But that will change." She smirked.

"Yes... An army like your people's will be useful when the days of retribution are before us." A large old man in a mechanized combat suit stepped into the room. "What is it you wish from us?"

"Favors and Information, of course. I want access to any contacts you may have in your line of work as well." Nessie bartered fearlessly.

"In due time child..." The Master remarked. "Your time will come, if you prove yourself worthy."

"Child? Wonderful. I'm do eager to prove myself to a faceless entity I know nothing about." The Laepaede shook her head.

The armored king paused, peering at Drake before grabbing his helm. Steam emitted from his shoulder plates as he revealed the horror underneath. His face was old, damaged, dead. Hair purer than snow and eyes devoid of any movement, there was no man behind the suit... Only a corpse.

"That is... Well then. Interesting." Her eyes widened, but it was difficult to tell if it was out of fear or wonder.

"My body was destroyed in the war that ravaged our universe. Only through the miracles of science and technology am I allowed to continue my mission." The Master said as he placed the helm back on his head. "Only those who I deam worthy may join my cause."

"And that mission... Is?" Nessie asked curiously.

"To bring the day of retribution." The armored man stated. "And cleanse the sinful filth that control our government."

"Hmm. Not dissimilar to my own goals then. Perhaps we really can help eachother." She nodded with acknowledgement.

"Then prove your worth." He commanded. "Westwood will be here within the hour to give you your trial. You wish to have our knowledge? Then show me you are capable of contributing to the cause."

"Interesting? Is this a combat trial? Or something else?"

The Master merely chuckled. "You'll find out in due time. Drake, Sunflower, we shall leave for now."

The two subordinates nodded and followed their leader towards the large hole in the hidden entrance.

"Hmm... Facinating bunch..." The Insectoid closed the door behind them, making her way back inside her base.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science

The main console room for the Golden Wind stood in darkness, void of movement. A ray of light shined as the entrance opened, being closed with just as much care and swiftness. A young man snuck his way towards the main computer and began typing away at the console. He doubted anyone would be in this room while the lights were off, but the code he had seen before kept him on edge. Someone could be watching him... So he had to be fast. The man lifted his metal covered hand and blue energy started to form around his fingertips. The energy formed into a screen just as large as the computer's... Displaying a list of files all in red text. He quickly overrid the security system, noting it's semi-outdated firewall, and opened the systems coding. It took him longer than he had anticipated... Losing track of time as he finally came across a set of deactivated code pieces. His eyes glanced over at his own screen. A match. He scroll up slightly, seeing the vastly overtaxed file directly above all of the unusable code. "This must be what's keeping all this code on the back burner. If I'm able to get out of here unnoticed... I should be able to speak with the owner of this ship tomorrow morning. The big question is, who would want to remove this much data from a single program and what the hell is 'ASH?'"

"How may I help you?" a voice asked in the darkness behind him, that of a young androgynous child. "I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with you..."

The man slowly lifted his hands away from the console and turned towards the person behind him. "I'm kind of, well, not supposed to be here. Yes, yes, I know, breaking and entering is against the law... Curiosity just got the better of me. So could you do me a favor and not tell anyone?"

"I suppose that all depends on what it was you were breaking entering for." The youth stepped forward, shinning lightly despite the darkness. "It looked like you were stealing computer files."

"Not stealing, examining." The criminal corrected the child. "I scanned a few ships because I was bored... Noticed this one had an obserd amount of blocked or corrupted files on it's mainframe. I wanted to see what was up and maybe find out why it's set up like this. I already pinpointed what is blocking all of the files. All I would need to do is talk to your captain tomorrow morning."

"I see." The boy tilted his head. "May I ask your name?"

"Tobias, what's yours?" The man asked, leaning back in the chair.

"Ash," he answered. "I am the ship's service hologram."

Tobias blinked a few times, looking at his projected screen. "That answers one question..." He muttered before facing Ash once more. "So... Do you know what's up with your programming?"

"My programming?" Ash looked curious. "What do you mean? Is there something wrong with it?"

"Depends," Tobias remarked has he moved his personal screen towards him without touching it. "Does having approximately eighty-five percent of your programming forcefully deactivated by a secondary code count as an issue?"

"Oh, my..." Ash looked at the screen with some discomfort. "I never knew. I am not allowed to access my own programming you see."

The experimenter spun the screen around and started scrolling through the list. "Oh, yes, that's blocked too. Man, someone must really not want you in the engine room. Almost all of the hologeneraters there are either disable or missing."

"I see..." Ash rubbed his neck, unsure hownto take this news. "Will you... be talking to the captain about this?"

"Yeah, that was the point of hopping in here." The man remarked. "Can't exactly bring up a problem if I don't know what's causing it... Or without knowing a way to fix it. I mean... I don't have anything concrete yet, but I have a few ideas on how to get you back to full power."

Ash slowly nodded. "Alright. If you promise to come back tomorrow and talk with the captain, I will let you go without alerting the ship of an intruder."

"Seem fair enough." Tobias flicked his wrist, a small cube forming in his hand. He handed it to Ash as he left. "You can hold on to this until I get back. And don't lose it, that it extremely important."

Ash looked it over curiously before nodding. "I will keep it safe."

Without another word, Tobias left the console room and snuck back out into the hanger. As he walked down, he placed a finger on his chin. "Maybe I should've mentioned that it will decintigrate after ten minutes if not streamed into a new data unit. I made a back up anyway, it should be fine." He shrugged lightly before leaving the hanger to find a hotel. He would need some time to prepare for his talk with the ship's captain.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science Part 2

The next day, Captain Jackie-Jackie was raised up under her ship, working on the new lower gun they had recently recieved. As usual, she had peoplento do this for her now, but she liked getting her own hands dirty when it came to her precious Golden Wind.

"Nice ship ya got here." A voice echoed from below JJ. "Must've cost an arm and a leg to get something like this."

"Nah, just a straight flush and a good poker face for me." JJ turned to look over the side and see who was talking.

A man wearing a baggy hoodie with two large, metal gauntlets on his hands came into her view. He grinned at the captain. "You just really like to try your luck then."

"Wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't." JJ carefully climbed down, taking off a grease covered glove and offering her hand. "Jackie-Jackie Jetstorm."

He shook her hand with the large gauntlet that was his own. "Tobias Silver."

"You come by to talk, or just to admire my ship?" JJ grinned. "Because I'm happy with either one."

"Well, you see, I got bored one day and scanned a few of the ships around here. Your ship in particular showed me something rather interesting." Tobias lifted his hand, a small screen forming on his finger tips. He expanded it by flexing his fingers outward, as if it was a simple touch screen, and flipped it around for JJ to see. "All of these files appear to be in a state of forced inactivity. I have reason to believe one of the previous owners of this ship might have been hiding... Whatever Ash is supposed to be, and I was wondering if you would let me explore the potential of unlocking this data."

"Um... how exactly did you get this information?" JJ looked over the screen. "And how do you know about Ash?"

Tobias pointed at the one of the files on his screen. "All of the files are labeled as 'ash.' As for how I was able to transmit data from a simple scan? A magician never revels his secrets."

"I... see. Well..." JJ scratched her head. "There are an awful lot of sealed files here. But what makes you so interested in them?"

"Curiosity, scientific intrigue, boredom." The newcomer answered in a joking manner. "I'm pretty certain a guy with a secret agency doesn't have a hard drive installed into the back of his head just to see if he could."

"No... I suppose not," JJ responded, raising an eyebrow. "Well, you have caught my attention. Do you mind coming on board to meet my first officer?"

"I don't mind." Tobias placed his hands on the two corners of his projected screen and pressed them together. When his hands opened back up, the screen was gone. "I hope they are a decent enough of a person."

"I'd like to think so," JJ said, leading him to the ship. "So... hard drive in your head, huh?"

"Yeah, got bored one day so I wanted to see if I could survive a operation like that." He explained to the Cartus. "I had an assistant at the time who helped me figure it out."

"Do you often do such dangerous things that could get you killed?" JJ asked as they headed for the front of the ship.

"Dangerous? I knew what I was doing... Plus she would've stopped the whole thing if it looked like I was going to die." Tobias chuckled at the thought of not surviving the surgery. "Sometimes you gotta have a little faith in your dumb luck... And that someone will remind you when something is too risky to be worth it."

JJ smiled and nodded, knowing that applied to herself and Aya. They stepped onto the bridge, the violet haired Tamearin casually swinging her tail as she typed on a console. "Done already?" she asked.

Tobias was shuffling a deck of projected cards as he watched Aya mess with the console. "Whatcha looking for?"

"Something triggered our firewa..." Aya turned back. "Who's this?"

"This is Tobias Silver," JJ announced. "He has a computer hard drive in his head, and can do cool computery stuff with his fingers." She wiggled her own around dramatically as if to demonstrate.

"Computery stuff?" Tobias muttered, giving Jackie-Jackie a confused look before realizing what she meant. "I believe the term you are looking for is magic, though I guess it's just called science around here." He stated, drawing five cards from the deck. "I refer to these as Digital Physics Constructs... A tool that I installed into my gauntlets during my younger years."

"And you refer to your abilities as magic?" Aya pondered. "Interesting."

"Well, yeah, What's magic then just science we don't fully understand?" Tobias prompted as he dissolved the deck of cards. "Where I'm from the two sorta go hand and hand."

Aya thought about it, and nodded. "Alright. So is he a new hire?"

"He might just be," JJ said with a grin. "He said he can fix some of the, um... work with... how did you put it?"

"There's a large portion of your ship's files that are deactivated." The magician started up, bringing his screen up in front of him. "All of which are labeled as 'ASH.' What I can do is locate the program that is forcefully shutting of these systems and remove it from your software completely."

"I see..." Aya rubbed her chin. "You having this info wouldn't have anything to do with our breached security systems last night, would it?"

"Nah... I just scanned your ship." Tobias shrugged lightheartedly. "I mean, I did sneak in to make sure I wasn't seeing things... But Ash didn't seem to mind too much when I explained the whole thing to him. It's not like I stole anything, nothing really of value in my opinion."

"I'll have to have a talk with Ash about security..." Aya mumbled in annoyance. "Alright... we can hire you if you promise to be transparent with what you're doing. No sneaking around beind our backs. But we do have a lot of systems that are corrupted or blocked that we need work done on."

Tobias looked over his screen as he listened to Aya's request. "Hey, Ash, you there buddy? I think you might wanna be here for this discussion."

Ash appeared before them, and immediately noted the sour look Aya gave him. "Am I... in trouble?"

"Nope." Tobias answered as he stretched his arms. "But I kind of need to figure out a way to shut you off before I work. Removing a program is simple... But a program like this could damage you permanently if I yoink it out as is. Speaking of programs, I sort of forgot to tell you that the cube only has a ten minute lifespan."

"Oh?" Ash tilted his head. "What was on it?"

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science Part 3

"A system designed to deny you access to about eighty-nine percent of your total programming. Usually when I need to remove a file or program I can just grab it like this." Tobias explained as he flicked his wrist, teal strings shooting out of his finger tips. They attached to the monitor behind Aya before pulling out a small cube, almost identical to the one he gave Ash the night before. "For a active or a protective system like this firewall I'm holding here, removing it cause no harm to the system. However, the file I need to remove is a preventative one... And last time I grabbed one of those I accidently blew up a hanger bay... I'd like to avoid that this time around." After he explanation concluded, he flicked the strings back to the console without looking at it, the cube being absorbed back into the system.

"But you think you can do all this safetly, right?" JJ asked.

"Yeah, if we can disable Ash long enough for me to pull it out while it's not affecting anything." Tobias remarked with a shrug. "But it ain't as simple as the flip of a switch."

JJ nodded. "We'll give you any support you need. We don't want to lose Ash of course. And we'll pay you well."

"Let's see what's in my backlog..." Tobias muttered to himself as he opened up a second screen. He took a few moments to look through the seemingly endless files on his list, before pulling a cube off of his screen. A small thumb drive popped out of his left gauntlet and he placed cube inside of it. "This should be able place the ship in suspended animation. If everyone goes as planned, Ash will be placed in a temporary coma, but the console will still remain active. Once he's fully out, I can grab the program and either store it for later or just let the thing desolved permanently. Your choice."

"Alright. Though..." Aya rubbed her chin. "Why is so much of his programming blocked? Ash seems to function as intended. What more could be hiding in there...?"

Tobias closed his personal screen and flipped his scanning screen to show Aya the massive line of blocked files. "I don't know... You tell me."

Aya shrugged. "I guess I'm counting on you to find out for us."

JJ nodded. "When can you start?"

"Ready when you are." Tobias replied. "Place the drive in when I give you the signal."

Aya nodded, getting the computer ready. "How long do you think this will take?"

"I'd say, thirty, forty seconds." The magician stated casually. "Got a small window to work with, so I have to set up everything ahead of time."

"I see. Well..." Aya looked back at him. "Everything is ready when you are."

Tobias moved over to the console, examining the screen laid out before him. "No doubt the firewall is going to interfere with the process. I could just reprogram it, but there's no telling how the mainframe will react. Just simply hacking it will just flood the system with alerts for the next week. How about we just not worry about it." Tobias quietly muttered to himself before using the same strings to remove a cube from the console and handed it to Aya. "Now, where is it... Ash, Ash, there you are." He tapped the screen lightly to mentally point out the program that took an absurd amount of energy. "Alright, start the install."

Aya nodded, quickly plugging in the drive.

The lights across the entirety of the Golden Wind began to flicker as the engine began to power down to a near halt. The ship began to rock back and forth as gravitational stability began to falter. The entire time Tobias' sight was laser focused on the console, his gaze burning into the system as he watched the power drop rapidly. The instant it hit zero, he took hold of the program and pulled it out of the ship's system. As he was flung back by the distorted gravity, Tobias started moving his fingers... Creating a pair of hands to set the counter code in his place.

Aya stood steady but JJ wasn't prepared, falling to the side and hitting Aya's stomach butt first and knocking them both over. "Ow..." Aya mumbled as JJ rubbed her behind.

Once the hands finished typing, the ship began to stabilize and the lights returned to normal. Tobias, who was buried under some boxes, hopped to his feet and highfived his projected appendages. He placed the cube on an empty counter before walking over and offering the two ladies a hand. "That went a bit better in my head, but it worked out."

"I sure hope so..." JJ rubbed herself for a second longer before taking his hand, Aya doing the same. Both rising, they looked over to the cube. "So that's..."

"It's definitely a strange use of programming." The magician remarked. "But now that it's gone, let's go see how Ash is doing."

They turned to the hologram, surprised to see him on the floor. He looked unconscious, something quite unusual for a computer program.

"Oh damn, is he actually one?" Tobias muttered to himself once more while poking Ash's cheek. "I never actually got the chance to see one before. The old man claimed to have one, but he never told anyone who it was."

Aya and JJ walked over. "Is he... one what?" Aya asked.

Ash mumbled, and slowly sat up, holding his head. "What's this... sensation? My head... hurts? Why do I feel pain?"

"You just bumped your head against the wall... Nothing too damaging." Tobias turned to face the two leaders. "Why didn't you tell me this ship had an AI in it? I've been looking to meet one for the last eight years."

"A.I.?" JJ scratched her head in confusion. "No, the... the guy I got the ship from said he was just a V.I." She looked down at Ash while Aya's eyes widened in shock and worry.

"Last time I checked VI don't have a massive amount of their own personality locked behind forced data corruption." The scientist remarked as he patted Ash's head. "Don't worry, buddy... You'll get used to it."

"I'm... an A.I.?" Ash said, clearly surprised by the news himself as he slowly stood up.

"Ahem..." Aya stepped forward. "Is there anyway to put... all that stuff back?"

"Put what back?" Tobias asked with a small grin. "You do have to keep in mind that this is how Ash is supposed to be. And with the holoprojectors and extremely complex engine... As a betting man I say this ship was built around Ash acting as the main operator for repair and maintenance."

JJ nodded. "I agree. Why put him back to how he was?"

"Don't you realize how illegal he is?!" Aya suddenly shouted. "If the Galagtic Feds... no, screw them, we are close to Fee space! They'd blow us out of space without a second thought!"

"You know if you asked nice I could upgrade your ship..." Tobias murmurred as he pulled up a new screen.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science Part 4

Aya looked at him and sighed. "Upgrade it in what way?"

"Better shield generator, new guns, automatic defenses, I can usually figure something out with the right amount of materials." Tobias remarked. "I could even fix some of the less weaponized parts of the ships to increase the quality of life."

JJ looked at Aya. "Improving and upgrading is usually a lot cheaper then buying new stuff. Remember how much that new gun just cost?"

Aya sighed and rubbed her temples. "Alright... we'll keep you on board. But on one condition."

"And what condition is that, M'lady?" Tobias gave Aya a coy gaze as he awaited her request.

Aya folded her arms. "I want you to keep an eye on Ash. There are reasons A.I. are outlawed. I don't want to sound untrusting, but we have no idea how he is going to react to being awoken to his full programming. He's your responsibility. And that includes hiding the fact that he is an A.I. should any Fee decide to inspect us."

"You worry a lot, don'tcha?" The magician remarked. "Ash shouldn't be a concern... Just gotta teach him right from wrong, like any old brat in the cosmos. As for this Fee you keep mentioning. If they decide to pay us a visit, it'll be as if this ship never had holoprojectors to begin with." Tobias leaned his face close to Aya's with his coy grin intact. "So why don't you relax a little, M'lady? I'm sure you have some pent up emotions that could use a good release."

Aya slowly smiled, and chuckled. "You're a cheeky one, aren't you?"

"I didn't get where I am today by having a stick up my ass, that's for sure." Tobias returned the chuckled. "What about you? What brings a fine young lady like yourself into the vast potential of bounty hunting?"

Aya shrugged. "I'm not exactly formally educated or trained for your everyday work. I know how to fight, how to shoot, how to track, and other talents that lend well to this job. Besides, JJ is much the same and I didn't want her to go at it alone."

"Hey, been here up most of fifteen minutes and I can already tell that kitty likes to get into trouble." The experimenter stated as he peered behind his shoulder. "I doubt she would've last a day without someone watching her back."

That made Aya smile. "No... I doubt she would."

"Hey..." JJ pouted. "Are you two picking on me?"

"I'm not picking on you. I'm verbally noting my observations of your exploitable flaws." The sarcasm could be felt from his relaxed tone and casually posture.

"Oh... I see..." JJ scratched her head. "Anyway, it is nice to have you on board. Would you like to see your room?"

"Sure, I don't see why not. I might even make a new friend along the way." Tobias remarked as he gave Aya a sly wink. "Lead the way, Captain Kitty."

Aya chuckled as JJ led him towards the back of the ship. She looked back when she realized they were being followed. "Coming too, Ash?"

"Y-yes. I... have questions, and I want to stay nearby. Unless I am a bother of course..."

"Don't worry about it Ash." Tobias quickly stated. "I can't answer all of your questions... but I'm always here to talk whenever you need to."

"Well... you can hopefully answer one..." Ash picked up the pace to walk with them. "Why have you been searching for an A.I. for so long?"

"Curiosity." Tobias stated bluntly. "We had a few guys in suits show up back home a couple years ago... asking about the old man's AI assistant. He denied the claims that he had one and refuses to tell anyone who it was to this day. We all know it was lying to avoid the legal bullshit... but it seemed rather protective of the matter. After that I decided the first chance I got, I was going to study AI. With most of the records destroyed, my best met was to meet one and learn what I could through interactions and program analysis. Nice thing about this is that, the more I learn about you, the more I can help you adjust to your new role."

"What... will my role be now?" Ash looked to JJ.

She scratched her head. "Well, um... I mean... you could... if you want to do the stuff you did before... help?"

"Well, now that you're systems are back online... I'm sure those cockroaches would appreciate some help in the engineering bay." Tobias remarked towards his new AI companion. "I would question such a feat if not for the fact that I knew a guy who taught mosquitoes how to hack firewalls."

Ash chuckled, then seemed surprised by it, which made JJ chuckle. She opened the door to one of the few remaining rooms and said, "Here you go. All yours."

A small red light flashed on Tobias' right gauntlet. "If you don't have any questions... I'd like to speak with Lady Aya in private."

"Sure." JJ nodded to Aya and motion for Ash to leave them alone for now.

"So... I sorta need your help with something..." Tobias told the Tamaerin, showing his first sign of nervousness.

Aya blinked, caught of guard. "Um... yeah, sure. What is it?"

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science Part 5

"Well, in order to prevent people from stealing my Creator Gauntlets... I had them grafted to my skin." Tobias explained to her. "There just one problem. The constant exposure to arc energy can damage my muscle and potentially kill me if left unchecked. It's against the code of the magician to ask this, but seeing as I'm out of options... would you be willing to help me perform the cleaning procedure?"

Aya nodded, a little relieved to see a less cocky side of his personality. "Of course. Just tell me what I need to do."

"Okay... first things first, do you have any liquid nitrogen and Cryogel?" The scientist asked her. "I'm going to need those in order to minimize the pain that comes with washing my exposed muscle tissue."

"Cryogel is good. I can replicate the liquid nitrogen. Hold on." Aya left, returning a few minutes later with two containers. "Here we are. I wasn't sure how much you needed so I brought a bunch."

Tobias nodded in approval. "All I need now is a place to set up a workshop so I can build what I need before my blood gets intoxicated in the next hour."

"Um... okay." Aya lifted the containers again. "There is a workstation in engineering that should suit your purposes."

"Shall you show me the way, M'lady?" Tobias inquired with a bow.

"Of course." Aya smiled and led him to the back of the ship. On the top level of engineering, she found a workbench with no tools on it and placed the canisters down. "Will this work?"

"I'll need some scrap metal... Otherwise this will work perfectly." The magician noted as the strings extended from his fingers. He moved them in three strange, yet specific patterns, forming a screwdriver, wrench and metal saw on the bench. It'll take a bit to make the device, but at least I'm not doing it from memory this time."

"Right. Scrap metal. Um..." Aya climbed down to the first floor. She climed back up with a box of metal scraps of various sizes and shapes. "The Bajir keep these around for emergencies for... some reason."

"Why wouldn't they? If something breaks you're gonna need supplies to repair it." Tobias remarked as he took the box from Aya. "And you'd be surprised what you could do with scrap. Now, could you step out for a few minutes?"

Aya nodded. "Just don't do anything too dangerous," she said as she exited.

With Aya outside of the work area, Tobias got to work. The sound of metal and laser tools filled the nearby hallway. It was unclear what exactly the engineer was doing, but he had left the door opened up slightly... Inviting curious souls to peek inside.

Aya resisted the urge at first, but eventually couldn't help herself, peeking inside.

Inside the room, Tobias was in the process of welding together to metal plates, looking to have a large box already prepared. The box had no walls and a set of unique machines already placed inside. He was shirtless as he worked, notable scars layered on his back. After a moment, he pulled up a screen with his gauntlets. "Alright... How long is it gonna take to build some glass..." He muttered as he examined the blueprints in front of him.

Aya raised an eyebrow, wondering why he didn't just ask for glass... and why he needed it.

After a few moments, Tobias placed his hand on another large machine he had built during his three hours of work. It scanned the gauntlet and began to make a loud whistling sound... A sheet of glass being slowly ejected from the front. "Good to see my theory worked out after all. I'll need to apologize about stealing one of the materializers though."

"Hmph." Aya chuckled and shook her head. She had been so fascinated watching him work, she hadn't noticed how much time had passed.

"You know you could just come in right?" Tobias called out without looking at the door. "Just be sure to knock next time."

Aya stepped inside. "How long have you known I was watching?"

"About an hour." The shirtless magician remarked. "I was thinking you were checking me out... But then I realized I had my back turned the entire time." Even as Tobias made his cheeky comment, he kept working on the finishing touches and preparing the program he was going to use. It was almost as if he was working subconsciously while he flirted with the Tamaerin.

She chuckled lightly before asking, "So what exactly are you doing? This is a lot longer of a process then I thought it would be."

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science Part 6

"Well, it turns out exposed muscle do not like the feeling of oxygen touching them." Tobias explained. "This machine is designed to combine cryofreezing tech with the liquid nitrogen to temporarily kill my nervous system. It's not a perfect device, but it gets the job done."

"That sounds... absolutely terrible for your health," Aya stated bluntly.

"Well... until I find a better solution, it's this or I die a slow and painful death at the hands of arc radiation." Tobias returned in a similarly blunt matter. "Options aren't exactly limitless for me right now."

"I see. And all this to protect your gauntlets." Aya smiled. "They must be really special to you."

"Well, yeah, if someone stole them they could figure out how to replicate them." Tobias remarked as he added the finishing touches. "I didn't spend ten years of my life developing this tech just for someone else to steal it and make a fortune off of my work."

Aya nodded. "I understand. And I admire your dedication to protecting it."

"Funny... I thought the Tamaerins were against the idea of cybernetics." The magician stated with a grin. "Do pretty boys get an exception?"

She chuckled. "Only you. And I've had reason recently to... alter my viewpoints a bit. Besides, I can't ignore such dedication to the craft."

"You call this dedication? You should see the old geezers back home." Tobias let out a hearty chuckle. "Everyone there is a professional at hiding their secrets from everyone else."

"Where exactly are you from?" Aya asked curiously.

"A backwater settlement on a nameless planet." Tobias answered swiftly. "The place was never really that special."

Aya shrugged. "It produced you and your technology. I see that as pretty special." She cleared her throat, perhaps realizing how flirtatious that sounded.

"Where are you from, M'lady?" Tobias asked in a coy tone.

Aya sighed. "I don't know. I was dropped off at an orphanage when I was too young to remember and moved from one to another throughout my childhood, so... I have no real home." She shook her head. "My first orphanage was on Tamaer, so I was likely born there, but that is only speculation."

"Really? You could've said you were born on this ship and had me fooled." Tobias replied jokingly. "The way I see it, home is wherever the hell you want it to be. Besides, little miss captain kitty acts more like a younger sister than your boss."

"She does, doesn't she? Even though I'm the younger one. But I love her for being herself."

"Is it weird to be envious of people with siblings?" Tobias prodded, trying his best to sound casual about the topic. "Or parents for that matter?"

"No," Aya said after a moment's thought. "Not at all."

"I guess the grass is just greener on the other side then." The man's carefree nature faultered for a brief second, before reigniting itself. "Everything's almost ready... I'll need you to be working on the console right next to me."

Aya quickly got into place. "Ready. Just tell me what you need from me."

"I need you to activate the cyro chamber and keep an eye on my vitals." Tobias stated while he placed his arms inside of the glass box. "If it at any point looks like I'm getting too close to fatal territory, cut the system off... Otherwise just keep it active until I give the command."

"Got it." Aya hit a few buttons and nodded. "On your signal."

Tobias took a deep breath as the subzero energy filled the glass container. In mere seconds, his blood pressure dropped and heart rate slowed. The glass became smothered in fog and frost. Tobias stood there and waited... Breathing slowly to remain calm.

"Vitals are irregular but within expected parameters," Aya stated, sounding a bit nervous but keeping her cool.

"Prepare to disengage and detach the gauntlets." Tobias commanded, ignoring his dizzying vision.

"Preparing to disengage," Aya repeated.

"Do it now." The engineer stated firmly, knowing just how specific of a window they had to it.

Aya quickly hit the buttons to do as he asked, glancing over to make sure all went well.

Tobias slowly pulled his arms out of machine, wincing as his exposed muscles touched the untamed air of the ship. He took a deep breath and gave Aya a wavering smile. "Know a place where I can take a shower?"

"Y-yeah," Aya walked over to the door so it would open. "Your room is equipped with a regular shower and a sonic shower."

"That's good to he-" Tobias stumbled briefly before collapsing to the ground.

Aya quickly moved to his side. She placed a hand on his forehead and said, "You're cold, and not from the procedure." She checked his vitals. "Yet you're heart is beating double time. You're not naturally this pale, are you?" After a moment's pause, she asked, "When was the last time you ate?"

"I don't really... Remember..." Tobias muttered with a weakened voice.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Zombiesplitter: A Magician's Secret to Science Part 7

Aya sighed, and struggle to heft him on her back. "We're going to... get you... washed up... and then... get you a nice... nutritious... meal."

"That sounds nice..." The man said as he was being lifted by the Tamaerin.

Aya brought him to his room, and used the sonic shower so the water didn't irritate his arms and, important to her, she didn't have to remove his pants. She carefully brought him to the bed, sat him up, and replicated him some hearty chicken and veggie soup. "It is important that we get some food in you, but too much at once can be a shock to your system if you have gone a long time without eating, so this should do nicely." She grabbed a chair at sat next to him. "I shall feed you. The last thing you need is to spill hot soup on your exposed arms."

"Just remind me to return the favor when I'm not dying of malnutrition and suffering from exposed nerve-itus." Tobias muttered, somehow holding himself together despite the freezing aura leaving his arms.

Aya smiled, appreciating his mirth despite the situation. She gave him a spoonful and asked, "How long until you have to put those things back on?"

"I'm supposed to put them back on as soon as humanly possible. Otherwise I'll be in extreme amounts of pain until someone else can figure out how to attatch them manually." Tobias explained, his breath gaining increased weight as the agony started to spread it's roots. "But I think I'll manage."

"It doesn't sound like it." Aya quickly gave him another spoonful. "If I get them here, can you walk me through putting them on you?"

"I'm so dead if I ever go back home..." Tobias muttered before looking Aya in the eyes. "I can do that... Hopefully."

Aya blinked a few time at his utterance, but put her curiousity aside for now. She gave him another mouthful before placing the bowl aside and going off to engineering, refurning a few minutes later with the gauntlets. "These are... heavier then they look," the petite Tamearin muttered. He could tell by the look in her eyes and the beads of sweat rolling off her brow that she was fatigued but trying to hide it.

"Each of those has an arc reactor on them." Tobias struggled to stand up. "So ya gotta be careful not to drop them, unless you want a miniature crater in this ship."

"I'll keep that in mind..." Aya placed them on the bed. "Are you okay to stand?"

"Kind of, sort of, not really." Tobias stumbled a bit more, but managed to find his footing. "Either way I'm as ready as it gets."

Aya nodded, holding one of the gauntlets up for him.

Alright, we're going to need to disengage the safety locks... From there you have to carefully slide them onto my arms. Be very careful to not get snagged on a nerve or tendon... I already have enough nerve damage as is."

"Alright. I'll be careful," Aya assured him. "How do I disengage the safety?"

Aya quickly found the latch. She nodded to him and held it out. "Ready. I'll be careful."

Once the latch was pulled, and gauntlet expanded outward as it's outer plating fragmented. Tobias extended his right arm. "You seem trustworthy enough."

"These things really are amazing," Aya muttered as she slowly slid it forward.

Once the gauntlet reached the end of his forearm, it retracted back down and reconnected to his body. Tobias moved his fingers around to test responsiveness. "That was easier than I thought it would be, not gonna lie."

"Still got one more," Aya reminded him, releasing the latch and lifting it up.

Tobias extend his already covered hand. "I should be able to take care of this one."

Aya nodded, quickly handing it over. "I will say, if nothing else, you have an incredible tolerance for pain."

"I've had plenty of time to build it up." Tobias remarked while he slid the gauntlet in place. "Between these, the hard drive in my brain and the countless fail experiments... I can say I'm amazed I'm still alive."

"Yeah, no kidding..." Aya cleared her throat. "Alright, back in bed. You're still malnourished and need to finish eating."

"You still gonna spoon feed me?" The magician gave her a coy look.

She returned it with a grin. "If you ask me nicely."

"I could beg if you want that, M'lady." Tobias gave Aya a wink as he stretched his arms.

ShadowHounder

Black0ut and ShadowHounder: Two Fools, One Hatred

A perfectly aimed shot. A destroyed target. Broken holo particles lay strewn across the floor like knicknacks in a hoarder's house. Nick surveyed the scene with reserved judgement. Somebody had to have blown this man's head off... it looked to be a close friend, given how the body was facing. It was with a primitive projectile, the route that can't be traced and make a big noise.

Nick paused, taking out a cigar as Noir-esque music started playing. He lit it quickly and started to smile as he knew who the most likely culprit was. But... as he started to head over to the culprit's house, the holo flickered, indicating someone had entered. The former soldier turned to see who it was, steeling himself in preparation for one of those he had bad relations with.

However, in the middle of the scene, the projected imagery began to glitch out wildly. The proportions twisted and turned as the sounds of someone working above the projection replaced the music. "You'd think with all the time and manpower they'd at least catch up to me at some point. At the very least once I get these arc reactors and upgraded projectors set up it should make things easier for Ash... And likely make the holoroom a bit more realistic." Tobias muttered aloud to himself as he swapped out the energy core for one of his old prototypes. "Wait, wasn't there music playing earlier?"

The magician looked down to see the dome of the holoroom warping below him. "Shit... Hey! Sorry for interrupting your session. I should be done in ten or so minutes."

Nick frowned as his soldier reflexes tried to kick in, his arm raising up but not yet transforming. He recalled Yyashtra and Lady, prime examples of letting his paranoia get out of control. He breathed in and sighed, his eyes relaxing as he pointed up at the man. "Mind telling me who you are, pal?"

"Tobias Silver." The man replied as he installed the new system. "I come from a backwater settlement of Magician on a nameless planet in the middle of nowhere space."

Nick's frown deepened into a grimace, as he became a bit more wary. "So... Tobias... I assume the Captain hired you? Why?"

The engineer moved on to the next projector as he answered. "I told her I would upgrade the ship... Making so it'll actually be a challenge to shoot this bird out of the sky."

Nick's left eye twitched in irritation. "It is hard to shoot the Wind down, either in atmosphere or space. Saying that in front of the gunnery chief, the pilots, or the other engineers is a bad idea." Nick warned, before mumbling under his breath. "Given that I'm the gunnery chief."

"Well... Unfortunately, skill and maintenance can only get you so far." Tobias remarked. "Being the best pilot doesn't mean much if your ship is twenty years behind everyone else's. With everything upgraded fully, this ship might as well be untouchable... I mean, have you seen the engine on this thing?"

"No. Only engineers are allowed in Engineering." Nick leaned up against the holoroom's actual wall, taking another puff of his cigar. "And I've seen ships capable of disproving your theory. Pirate ships and retired Line ships can easily shred through more updated ships... it all depends on their guns."

"I have a feeling you a lot about weaponry." The magician muttered as he finished replacing the last projector.

"What was that?" Nick raised an eyebrow, a cybernetic hand going into his trenchcoat.

Tobias dropped down in front of Nick, revealing the casually dressed inventor and his gauntlets hidden within the sleeves of his hoodie. "I said I have a feeling you know a lot about weaponry. If I am correct in that assumption, I would like to ask for your feedback on a few combat weapons I had planned for the ship."

Nick pulled out a smaller datapad than he usually carried, tapping it to unlock an old analogue password for the machine. "Okay... shoot."

"Well... First off I need to double check how many slots the Golden Wind has." Tobias remarked as he placed his fingers in front of himself and created a translucent screen. On the screen was the schematics of the ship, with small portions highlighted in green. "I was thinking of getting some energy batteries on the wings, a torpedo cannon or two on the front, maybe a few self operated defense matrices on the top and bottom... And depend on the type of firefights this ship deals with, I could program a few of the holoprojectors to double as auto reloading flare launchers."

"We already have scalable torpedo launchers, so the torpedoes on the front become a little redundant, given how expensive torpedos are. Mounting auto turrets would be just as expensive, due to the number of energy cells we'd need to expend to operate the damn things...and sending out holos into space, given how fast we move, would be a terrible idea because they'd fizzle out due to distance and even if they didn't, some torpedoes have a manual mode to fly them closer, which negates their purpose. Move the energy batteries from the wings to the front where you wanted to put torpedoes and overcharge them. Laser weapons work great longer range... switch out one of the arrays for a plasma caster just in case we get closer." Nick directed, his datapad being typed on rapidly as a gleam seemed to go over his eyes. "Upgrade the bridge with a dedicated Electronic Attack Center and add a range extender on the underbelly. If they have an EAC of their own we can then counter it or we can disable some of their systems." Nick paused, contemplating what else to add. "If you want anything more, you're going to buy me Terran Coffee. And that is pretty expensive."

"Why would I buy an energy cell when I can just build one..." Tobias noted as he switched the display floating in front of him to his bank account. "The EAC might be a bit of an issue... But I'm sure Ash can help me figure that one out. Know anywhere I can buy some of that Terran Coffee?"

"To arrive fast, as in next day, pretty illegal sources. I could give you the contact info of the man who can deliver it, just expect laser beams as much as you can expect a handshake." Nick warned, before tilting his head. "You're right. Energy Cells aren't hard to make. Recharging them from the Reactor or building up new ones is. Same with buying. The base components are expensive and we save only a small amount when we do so. But... I ain't going to tell you how to do your job." Nick tapped his cigar to dump the ash on the floor before promptly putting it back in his mouth.

"Funny you say that..." Tobias gave the cybernetic giant a smirk as he pulled out a arc reactor from his pocket. "I've been able to mass produce these buggers for the last five years with a budget of 'the nearest scrap metal.' I guess not everyone knows where to look." As he spoke, the engineer toss the device repeatedly... As if it was nothing but a mere baseball.

"If you break that and I get damaged at all, I will rebuild only to knock the shit out of you." Nick warned, his tone somewhat sarcastic but full of a seriousness that he typically did not show.

"What's the matter... It's not like I'm tossing around an energy source that could potentially be comparable to a nuclear bomb." Tobias replied in a much more sarcastic, much less serious tone. "And this is just one of my old prototypes."

"Then you have no reason to keep playing with it, right?"

"I'm using them as placeholders for the time being." The man explained. "This ship has surprisingly good holographic tech on it... But those and my Digital Physics Constructs, I think everyone will appreciate the upgrade, no matter how small it most likely is."

"And that justifies you tossing that around? Call me a tad bit skeptical." Nick crossed his arms.

ShadowHounder

Black0ut and ShadowHounder: Two Fools, One Hatred Part 2

"You really think I'm going to drop it?" The younger man replied. "You could at least put some faith in the other people Captain Kitty hires."

Nick stepped closer, the cigar falling out of his mouth as he looked down at the smaller man. "If you address the Captain, it's either Captain or JJ. Understood?"

"Why? She didn't seem to care about the nickname." Tobias shrugged, as if fear was not an emotion he was capable of. "If she has a problem with it, she is more than welcome to address me directly... In which I will stop."

Nick raised an eyebrow. "It's about respect. Calling her 'Captain Kitty' is about as disrespectful as you can get." He very annoyedly explained.

"I see our ideas of respect are different from one another." Tobias spun around and walked towards the exit. "Besides... It's not good for you health to get so worked up over the actions of a stranger. So just relax and stop caring... That's what I do."

"So have no emotions and not get bothered by anyone?" Nick actually laughed; it however was not a kind one, it was one of disbelief and irritation. "No wonder people think us cyborgs no better than Andromeda. You're living proof of that: the detached nature that shows off more of the machine than any human bit." Nick grabbed out a cigar and lit it, sticking it into his mouth. "See you later, 'borg bot."

"That begs the question." Tobias allowed an unsettling smile to creep it's way onto him. "What are you trying to hide under all of that metal? So quick to call me an emotionless cyborg without knowing that I am one... Seems kind of hypocritical if ya ask me. There's a story behind that stoic face of yours... A story you are trying to hide. Unless, of course, I am just looking too much into this. Everyone makes mistakes."

"I got blown up and had to replace all my flesh with cybernetics. Oh, and all my friends died to said explosion. What's your excuse, engineer?" Nick glared down Tobias, challenging him to respond with anything except shame.

"I'm not a cyborg..." Tobias suppressed the laughter that had built up inside him. "So your claims are false by that fact alone."

"If that's true, then you're acting mechanical without any reason behind it, save your own 'troubled past'." Nick tilted his head to the side, staring at a man across the bar as he exhaled a puff of smoke in his direction. "You want to talk about that?"

"You are making a lot of assumptions." Tobias remarked. "Like I told you, I was born on a backwater settlement on a nameless planet. Worse thing I can offer is I was an orphan... Besides that you got me top. And what is with this 'acting mechanical' crap? I have been sarcastic and energetic the entire time... Those that mean sarcasm requires a lack of emotions, or are you just dense?"

Nick's eyes glittered dangerously, as his arm switched to its gun form. He fired at the man across the bar, the hologram dying before the simulation ended, returning the room to a blank state. "Guess I'm done here." He said quietly, walking past his fellow human. "And sarcasm doesn't require no emotions. That's called deadpanning. If you're going to insult me, do it properly." Nick flicked his cigar behind him, not bothering to look behind himself as he started walking out of the room.

"Nick huh?" Tobias muttered as he pulled up a screen. "I wonder what all I can find on this hothead..."

Black0ut

ZombieSplitter53 & Black0ut present:
Enter the Web of Intrigue

Titania cracked her neck as she took her hands off the flight controls. Her blue jumpsuit clung to her form, offering a decent bit of protection for their current mission. "Soooo... while we drift down, what do you two think about our bounty? Y'know, given their whole 'women only' thing?".

Aya looked up from her controls and shook her head. "I don't like it. Seems suspicious."

"Why?" JJ shrugged and smiled. "Maybe they just like pretty girls."

Titania nodded. "Yeah, but it'd make more sense to have some guys on their squad. Most races tend to have physically stronger guys... so I'm thinking psionics or gene-mods." She looked pensively at Aya before offering up a more casual smile. "But given I got you two with me, I think it'll be fine."

"So... I'm not great at talking with people, but, I'm pretty good at asking questions: How did you meet JJ, Aya? And is that your real name, Jackie?"

JJ smiled back. "What makes you think Jackie-Jackie isn't my real name?"

"Well... it's alliterative and sounds like you snatched it out of a poem. But if it's not, I'd be curious as to why it got picked over other names." Titania shrugged, before her ears flopped down lazily. Her eyes, despite hiding behind the fact they looked a bit tired and unfocused, remained sharp and alert. "That's, uh, if you'd be willing to tell me."

"It isn't her real name," Aya said bluntly. "She is very protective about people knowing her real name, mostly because she isn't a fan of it."

JJ sent the Tamearin a glare to make sure she said little more. "Maybe I'll share it with you someday. For now, I can tell you how I got my current name if that will help."

"Sorry, didn't know it was a sore point." Titania said quickly, just as their shuttle hit a hard gusting wind that threatened to knock them out of the sky. The foxgirl grabbed the controls, wrestling them into submission and put them within sight of their initial landing zone. Grunting out of strain - and not at all because she'd cracked her head on her dashboard- she continued, "but go ahead if you want to."

JJ frowned. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." Titania answered as a thin stream of blood came from her forehead. "But go ahead. How'd you decide on JJ?"

"Well, I had this friend in a juvenile detention place named Jenny. She was really nice to me, but she always laughed at my name. I would get upset... like, really upset. One day, she finally asked me why I didn't just change my name if I hated it so much. I... had never even thought of that. So I changed it to Jackie. We were Jenny and Jackie."

JJ sat back, reminiscing with a small smile. "She was human, and really liked this really, really old Earth song with her name in it. And they would repeat it twice in a row. So I started calling her Jenny-Jenny, and she'd in turn call me Jackie-Jackie. And it... stuck."

"That's sweet... You still talk with her?" Titania asked as she managed to set the shuttle down as gently as she could.

JJ slowly frowned. "N... no. I'm afraid not. I left that detention center, knowing she'd be released two months later. But when I returned to find her, she had already been released. She was supposed to tell them where she was going in case that happened... but she didn't. I never found out what happened to her."

"Well, if you ever need another body to help you look for her, I'd be willing." Titania offered, turning around to look at her Captain.

"Thank you, Titania. That... um, you're bleeding..."

"I am?" The foxgirl gingerly raised a hand to her head, smearing the blood as she brought her hand back. "Huh. Well, that's just great..." She grumbled before opening the small cargo bay door for them to exit. She unclipped the pilot's harness as she got up."Guess I'll let my mods stop it in time... everyone ready?"

JJ and Aya exchanged a look, shrugged, and stepped out of the ship, taking a deep breath of the natural air.

Titania followed, letting out a yawn as a particularly short Pickio sneered at their arrival -One that expressed gladness- at least Titania thought so... Damnable creatures were so hard to read when they wanted to be diplomatic- and stepped forward. "You the bounty hunters we sent for or are you just more useless mercs that show up?"

Aya hid a sneer and instead smiled. "We're your bounty hunters. It is a... pleasure to meet you."

The Pickio merely eyed them as a response. "I guess you don't look like rookies... Welcome, bounty hunters. So you know what we hired you for, right?"

"Neutralization of pirates." Titania replied.

"So what the fuck are we paying you for if you're not out there killing them off?" The Pickio demanded.

Titania showed off sharp, gritted teeth as she answered, "We need access to a hovercraft to get to them."

"Shut up, Wolfy. You're not the leader of this group. Captain, why aren't you out there already?"

JJ raised an eyebrow. "We... need access to a hovercraft. And I'm guessing you've never had a job in customer service."

He said something under his breath, before pointing at the shuttle. "Fine. Go below to the dock and you'll find a hovercraft. But that is collateral if you destroy the hovercraft."

"We won't." Aya folded her arms. "What can you tell us about the pirates to prepare us

"They have a floating base about thirty kilometres from here, heavily armed with automatic turret lasers. They don't usually kill women who go out to meet them, but from what I heard, you may deal with wandering hands if you're there or if you're captured." The Pickio man sneered at them, then shrugged. "Just get rid of them. We don't care how you do it, so long as you don't bring them anywhere near here. Oh and if you're not done within a day, we'll agitate the water to summon a leviathan to eat it or crush it."

"Then why hire us if you can take care of the problem?" Titania asked.

"Because then we don't use valuable resources." Additional words about them being expendable seemed to hang in the air despite the little man not saying anything. "So, get going, Wolfy."

"I'm a Dondondari fox."

"Dog-girl, then." The Pickio sneered once more then looked at JJ. "You want anything else?"

She smiled, though it seemed even her exceptional patience was wearing thin. "That will be all. Thank you. You have been... helpful. Let's go, ladies."

As they proceeded to make their way to the lower areas of the settlement, the Dondondari tried her best to calm herself down. "How the hell do you have the patience to deal with an asshole like that?" She quickly checked her pistol, sword, and rifle in quick succession, so as to avoid balling her hands into fists.

"Practice," JJ said. "As a Cartus, I'm used to people being a little rude. Though I must admit I was reaching my limit..."

Aya smiled. "The captain has more patience for people insulting her then those insulting her friends and colleagues."

Titania smiled as well, her anger fading away. "I'll try to be more like you then, JJ. Although, now that I think about it... I haven't bought you that chair yet, have I?"

JJ laughed. "No, but I'm sure you'll keep that promise. This job pays well after all, especially for Pickio clients."

"Is it because of their charming nature?" Titania half-joked, playfully messing up JJ's hair.

JJ snickered. "It's because they're so cheap! Honestly, they'd skimp their own mothers on a job."

Aya rolled her eyes at the pair, but smiled lightly, glad to see JJ enjoying herself. "Titania? Can I... talk with you a moment?”

The Dondondari nodded, walking a bit more towards Aya, curious and inquisitive eyes focused on her. "Sure. What's up?"

Titania tensed up slightly. "I suppose that's true... but this is a job. Happiness and jobs usually don't go together." The octaves in the foxgirl's voice had gone low, and a rare shyness had surfaced, causing her to look away.

Aya cleared her throat. "I realize... I likely have not helped with that... have I?"

"It's fine. You're not the first Tamearin to disapprove of me, you certainly won't be the last." Titania said softly, offering a subtle shrug. "You at least don't throw your rhetoric in my face every time we meet or try to convince me that I have ruined my body." The foxgirl's tail merely swished up to her hands, giving them something to hold. "So... no, you haven't helped, but you haven't been horrible either."

Aya nodded. "Thank you, though I am trying to... broaden my viewpoints. I might not agree with it for someone like me, but I have to learn that what's true or good or preferred for me isn't always the same for others. Being around people with modifications, like yourself, is teaching me that. I... I just want to apologize for making you feel unwelcome in any way."

"Apology accepted." The fox's eyes returned to her co-worker's. "But what caused you to start questioning yourself? Usually people with strong views don't exactly apologize for their behavior..."

"Our Kortovog member, Blitz," Aya answered. "I've worked with him a bit, and while he is... irritating at times, his modifications don't seem to have had the negative impact on who he is that I was always told they would."

“Ah, Blitz. You may want to reserve-" She covered her mouth with her right hand before she could finish her statement. "Ahem... he's fairly troublesome as a person, but yeah, his cybers don't negatively affect him as such." She looked away, a little irritated she had let her emotions get the better of her.

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.2

Aya raised an eyebrow, and opened her mouth to ask, but decided she would find out eventually. "Regardless, if I start to disrespect you again, please do not hesitate to chastise me."

"I'm not the chastising type. If you are being rude, I'll just shrug it off." Titania replied, her gaze slowly returning back to Aya. "Once we're buddies, I might give you the odd annoyed look, but beyond that... you'll have to realize when you're being cranky."

Aya chuckled. "I will do that. I promise." Her expression turned serious. "Now to focus on the mission. This should be routine, but let's not overestimate ourselves."

"I'm not. If they have a heavily armored floating base, the simplest way to deal with them would be to take out the hover thrusters so that a big sea creature ate them. But one of us would probably get wounded or worse." Titania cracked her neck. "Our best bet is to probably get inside and either fight or talk them into leaving. That choice is up to you and the Captain, though."

"I like the option that is less likely to get us wounded or worse, and doesn't require counted on giant monsters of the deep." JJ shuttered, possibly not a fan of oceans and the things that dwell in them. "I just hope the hover craft is at least a decent one."

"We're in a distrustful Pickio settlement. Are you sure you want to waste your hope on that?" Titania asked, only half-joking as Pickio could be penny-pinchers.

"Good point..." JJ said, the trio reaching the dock and looking for their promised vehicle.

Finding it was rather easy- it was located a distance away from the docks, the mooring freshly cut away. It was a serviceable hovercraft as far as appearances went but it looked old; the engines looked as if they might break down from too long a flight and there were small holes in places where they would sit. "Wow. That's petty... who wants to go swimming to get the hovercraft?"

Aya shook her head. "I'll go get it," she said. She stripped down to her undies and jumped into the water, swimming over to it.

JJ smiled nervously. "I sure hope it makes it there and back..."

"I think you forget that I'm good at repairs." Titania put a hand on JJ's shoulder. "I promise I'll get us there and back. You just have to come up with how we're taking down the marauders." The Dondondari offered a confident smile, patting her shoulder again.

Aya pulled up and started to get dressed again. "Think you can work with it?" she asked Titania with a smile. "I assume you brought a repair kit."

"I should be able to." Titania started before grabbing out something short and shiny. "And always. I don't want to be caught without repair equipment if my fighter gets trashed, same as me not wanting to get stared at because I got in water." Titania flashed a cheeky smile as she hopped onto the hovercraft, her tools going over to inspect the thrusters.

Aya and JJ watched her, both impressed by the speed and efficiency at which she worked.

A few choice words uttered in traditional Dondondari were uttered, as well some swears in the galactic common language. Finally - albeit with a grumpy glare- she finished. "I hate Jin-Shu Electronics... always have to put the damned components in backwards and in combustible positions..." Titania grumbled, swearing a couple more times before looking up at her comrades. "Everyone into the tradesdamned boat. It won't fall."

JJ laughed as she and Aya climbed aboard. Aya took the controls and they were off, the Tamearin smiling contently. "It sure is running better. Perhaps we should try and charge them extra for your work..."

"We could... especially since they use the hardest and the second most difficult fucking tech company in the galaxy..." Titania grumbled, pocketing her tool. "But chances are they wouldn't cough it up anyways. Pickio are cheap after all."

They chatted softly about this and that, chuckling and joking around to hide any pre-mission nervousness, until they finally had their target in view.

A few kilometers away, it looked as every distant thing does; not intimidating in the slightest. It was only when they approached closer why the leviathan option seemed plausible.

A barely functioning mishmash of ships hovered over the water, their collective weapons as well as a few manned turrets stood watch over the area. Like the Pickio and job request mentioned, every single one of the raiders was female. What they didn't mention was that there was a plethora of known and unknown races crewing it, from mighty Shinso to meek Baʒir and even unidentifiable races that lived in fringe space.

However, their arrival hadn't gone unnoticed, as several turrets aimed at them, but given their rather considerable distance away, it was unlikely that any shots would connect with their craft.

"Did... did we just agree to fight a city? Because that looks more like a city than a floating installation..." Titania murmured, slightly awestruck by the sheer scale of the giant amalgamations of ships.

"Maybe we should have brought more then the three of us," Aya said, slowing a bit.

"Nonsense," JJ insisted. "Besides, we don't know that we'll have to fight them. I' sure we can talk this out, women to women."

"I'll trust that optimism for now, Captain..." Titania said a bit warily, noting that they weren't being fired at despite having gotten a bit closer. "Aya, we are drinking tonight. And you are getting drunk."

"If we survive this, I'll do just that..." Aya sped up, hoping they weren't obliterated as soon as they were in range.

Surprisingly, the raiders didn't open fire and instead lowered a ramp for their hovercraft to dock. After much nervous tension due to the various weapons aimed at them, they made it to the docking bay, only to be greeted by a tall plantoid; it was purple, and had what looked to be naturally grown armor over its chest and a seamless face plate that separated to reveal a simple hole that served as a mouth. It's two eye-like organs rested where most humanoids would, with several flowers growing out of its head and arms. It didn't escape the Three bounty hunters that the creatures fingers ended in near knifepoint ends.

A voice vibrated in their heads, pleasant and soft. "Welcome, travelers, to Taino Village. What brings you to our fine abode this day?"

"At least they're courteous enough," JJ whispered. "A much better reception then earlier anyway."

Aya cleared her throat. "I wish I could say it is simple curiosity, but we were hired to..." She thought her words over carefully. A warm welcome didn't mean things couldn't turn sour at any moment. "...to find out what brings you to this planet, and see if you are dangerous to the locals."

"That's like asking if a knife is sharp. Everyone is inherently dangerous. My hands are sharp enough to impale, yet I try to keep them folded. You all carry advanced weaponry, yet I can already tell you could fight without them." The plant started, tilting its head. "Everyone is dangerous and everyone is capable of killing. But... intentions are different. We have no intentions to kill the Pickio." The plantoid turned and mentally gestured for the three of them to follow. "I can tell you've journeyed far, so let us go to a place where you can relax without being worried we will attack you. We can discuss this better if we are in a calmer setting; my home is not too far if you would like some tea or there is a bar, if alcohol is more your style."

JJ opened her mouth, but Aya quickly said, "Tea would be lovely, thank you."

JJ looked around as they followed. "So this isn't just some armada, is itm It is a space fairing city. It is... impressive to say the least."

"It took a bit to convert the engines to hover technology, but it is well worth it." The Plant waved its hands as it passed by several engineers that ran by. "We are self-sustaining, and have established inside currency and outside currency for trading. We have many amenities available for everyone, visitor or resident alike. But Bounty Hunters..." Before the plant could get further than that, several children ran towards them launching themselves at the planetoid tackling it to the ground.

The Bounty Hunters were not spared either; tails were pet and pulled gently, multitudes of questions were asked, and they were all hugged by innumerable tiny bodies.

"Adorable..." Titania whispered, as she set about answering questions and attending to the children en-masse.

"Ch-children! Please behave yourselves! You should not grab onto people you don't know!" The Plant extended its arms out to herd the children back into a group.

"But Rhizzy…" One of the children pouted, looking at the strange figures that were mysterious and interesting.

"Ah! What did we say about formal names?" The plant seemingly sent out a psychic image of a raised eyebrow.

"Sorry, Rhizome of Blue..." Came the chorus of apologies.

"Don't apologize to me; apologize to the people you just bull-rushed."

"Sorry, space-people..."

JJ waved her hands dismissively. "No harm done. I'd say it simply adds to the warm welcome."

Aya nodded in agreement, hiding a frown. What had they gotten themselves into, accepting this mission?

Rhizzy released the children, giving them a stern look and promises of further lectures before they continued on their way. Eventually they arrived at the Plantoid's home which opened audibly with a hiss.

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.3

When they stepped inside it was decorated nicely, it was almost homely, save for the conference room that marked Rhizzy as mayor. Gesturing to some couches, it sat down. "So... let's cut to the chase, shall we? The Pickio want us gone, preferably dead, and you are bounty hunters whose goal is to achieve that." The plant's psychic voice projected a grim smile into each of their heads. "And so, you come to tough decision; who are you going to help? And who are you going to hurt?" Rhizzy mentally sighed, the plant's leaves turning a dark shade of purple. "Have I summarized adequately the situation as it stands?"

The all nodded solemnly. "Preferably we would like a solution that makes both sides happy," Aya quickly stated.

JJ scratched her chin. "As things are though... it doesn't sound like things will work out for you regardless of what we do..."

"Given our hydroponics are not enough to sustain our colony and that most of our men are under the sea acquiring food for us, no. There's also the children to think about." Rhizzy's face plate opened to reveal the black hole that served as its mouth. "I... understand... that... you... may... not... be... swayed... to... help..." Rhizome's voice was harsh and gruff. The faceplate closed as the psionic speak continued. "So... What do you want to do... " There was a slight probing of JJ's mind. "Miss Jetstorm?"

JJ blinked in surprise. "Um... okay, well..." She took a deep breath. "I mean... surely this is a misunderstanding. I mean, you mean the Pickio no harm, and you need nothing from them, right? Perhaps we can talk to them and work something out. This is a big planet. Surely there is room for everyone."

"I wish that it was so simple... We crashed here years ago. There were thirty two of us in the beginning, then twenty, then five. We begged the Pickio for assistance the entire time, but... they never bothered to answer. It was only when our mining and fishing operations started that they even started talking to us, mostly threatening us to leave their resources alone." Rhizzy shrugged. "They view us as little more than parasites that leech onto them. Pickio are the 'greedy and rude' race, after all." A soft psionic laugh echoed in their minds. "But where are my manners, I forgot to brew you all some tea."

With that the plant got up and walked over to the kitchen and put a kettle on a simple electric stove. "But yes, we would love peace with the Pickio. They just don't want it."

"Is there any reason why they don't want it? Did any of your people attack the Pickio?" Titania asked, her mind asking a couple more questions.

"Dearie, we don't attack unless we get attacked. And to answer the questions your thinking," The Plant 'looked' at Titania, with some minor pressure from the probing, "I'm a Photecian. No, I technically don't have a gender, but I like to think of myself as female." Rhizzy started before turning around to look back at them. "JJ, Titania, Aya... be honest. They're thinking of killing us, aren't they?"

Aya took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes. And soon. If we do not report back that we have killed you ourselves or drove you off, our contact claimed to have the means of summoning the ocean's many giant creatures to destroy you. I would normally doubt they had that ability... but then, I am unfamiliar with the Pickio in this part of space, as well as with settled Pickio. It could be a real threat."

The plant was quiet for a few moments, before it sighed. "Then I would ask you for a favor, before we go to war."

"And that would be?" Titania asked a bit warily.

"Jackie. I have already read part of your mind and from it, I see kindness. Could you... hold onto our children? Keep them safe? I'll pay you double what the Pickio paid you." Rhizzy asked, her psionic voice softer.

JJ slowly nodded. "I will take care of them. I... I jsut hope they have a home to return to. This all seems so avoidable if the Pickio would simply be reasonable..."

"It would be..." Rhizzy paused, their hands taking the kettle off the burner and pouring the hot water into four cups. "Perhaps if I can get their leader into a room, we can have a diplomatic dialogue... and hopefully avoid any loss of life... that, of course, would depend entirely on you three."

"We could try to hold it on our ship, but, uh... I think Aya would need to talk it over with the Captain." Titania rubbed her neck nervously.

Aya turned to JJ. "That's probably a good idea. I don't know if I want her in enemy territory, and I highly doubt the Pickio would willingly come here. Our ship could act as neutral ground."

JJ nodded. "We'll have to limit how many people we allow up there in case anyone gets... trigger happy. I'd say the representative of each side and two aids or guides." She turned to the planet woman. "Does that sound reasonable?"

Rhizome nodded. "That would be perfect. I'll see about getting our head of engineering and our lead fisherman to come." She handed out the tea, now sitting back down. "Thank you, Captain Jetstorm. Not many value peace anymore..."

"Well, I admit, if things were too peaceful, I'd be out of a job," JJ said, smiling. "But that doesn't mean I don't strive for peaceful results. Things are usually much better that way."

Rhizzy nodded. "You should probably drink your tea quickly; you will have to return to the Pickio sooner rather than later." The plant woman paused. "But if everything works out, you are welcome to come here whenever you or your crew want."

They all nodded in thanks, quickly downing their tea, delightful as it was, and headed back towards the exit. "This isn't what I expected," JJ muttered. "It sucks when the people you are hired to deal with aren't just cut and dry bad..."

"True, but if we deal fairly with both sides, we'll probably get double the pay we would've." Titania started before shrugging. She glanced over at her Captain. "What would you have done if she refused peace talks?"

Jackie-Jackie placed her hand against her chin. "I'm... not sure. I suppose I would have tried to speak on their behalf. I wouldn't want anything bad happen to this place. I mean, this isn't some invading war party. It is a settlement. A home. I want to learn about them, not have them swallowed by some leviathan of the deep."

"I do too..." Titania looked ahead, noting the children that ran among the streets, the adults carrying equipment or rushing to certain areas. "I always wondered what my life would've been like if I had been able to remain a merchant. Perhaps I would've ended up somewhere like this." She mused aloud, a faint trace of a smile on her lips.

"Why didn't you, if I might ask?" Inquired Aya. "What drove you away from the life of a merchant?"

"Things happen -or rather- people do." There was a surprising amount of bitterness and anger in her words despite her rather neutral expression.

Aya frowned, but didn't want to press the issue. "I... I see. I apologize for any bad memories I dug up."

"It's fine." Titania said quietly, rubbing her neck. "It's just one of those things you don't really tell anyone about. But hey, it happened and now you get to deal with my sarcastic ass until I die or JJ gets tired of dealing with me." A small deflecting grin appeared, trying to reassure Aya she wasn't mad.

Aya smiled softly, nodding. JJ chuckled and assured Titania, “It'll have to be death because I enjoy having you around too much." Her smile faded a bit as they returned to their hovercraft. "Well... not looking forward to this next part. Let's... get this over with..."

"Hey, you got me and Aya to back you up, and I can probably barter to get them to agree if they're too stubborn." Titania reassured before they hopped in and began to make their way back.

Small talk, similar to when they were heading to the floating city, began to pop up until they made into the bay, wherein they were met by several Pickio guards. One of them, being the rude one who had seen them off stepped forward. "So... did you do it?"

"That's wha-" Titania started before the rude Pickio cut her off.

"Shush, Dog Ears. I wanna hear what your Captain has to say."

JJ's eye twitched, and she wondered what he would call her if Titania had been the one in charge. She tried to hide her annoyance and said, "Things are more complicated than you led us to believe... or possibly more than you knew. Tell me... did you try and contact them at all?"

“Would you try to talk to a burglar stealing your things? No, we did not contact them." The Pickio crossed his arms.

"Well, they said they'd rather have peace with you." Titania replied, offering a weak smile. "And they have children on board their craft, so y'know..."

"Are you suggesting that we give up our hard-earned resources and allow them to stay, Dog Ears?" He looked over at JJ for confirmation.

"Um... yeah, in a way, yeah." JJ placed her hands on her hips. "What exactly are they taking that are yours? Surely you don't mean the incredibly abundant water on the planet."

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.4

"Food. Metals. Other mineable minerals. Going into the ocean costs us greatly due to what lives there, so anyone who does is shot and killed." The Pickio replied. "Of course, if you don't believe me, we could have you go down into the deep and be faced with one of the leviathans."

"We'd rather not, thank you." JJ scratched her cheek. "Look... they're not trying to steal from you. They're not invading pirates. They are a community just trying to survive. If you would just meet with their leader and talk it out..."

"And why should we sit down with them? A leviathan still could eradicate them and there wouldn't be a-" The Pickio growled before a more human-sized one in fine golden robes started walking towards them.

He exuded grace and finesse, more regal than anyone who was there for good reason: His body, despite the robe's meddling, had an athletic form hidden underneath. His eyes held a powerful gaze to them, one that was used to shut the more annoying and less regal Pickio up.

"Cousin... do not presume to speak for me. My failing health doesn't give you the right to see to all colony affairs, just to what I delegate to you" His tone was light, but to a trained ear one could tell that there was a hardness to it that spoke of further punishments down the line. He turned his head, regarding the bounty hunters. "Jackie-Jackie Jetstorm, Aya Me, and Titania Regalia. My humblest apologies for my cousin's ineptitude. He oft has his head in matters that he shouldn't. Having said that and observed what he has said, or at least his ending remarks, he is somewhat correct: making peace with them is harder and more costly than simply destroying them. What potentially would we gain from their settlement?"

Aya was surprised to find such a Pickio in existence, let alone in front of them. She needed a moment to collect herself, and spoke on behalf of the still bewildered JJ. "Often times... what is easiest in the short run is not the best thing for the long run. Like comparing a quick bit of junk food for a divine dish that takes a while to make. Are you... really so willing to simply do away with such a potentially powerful ally in one fell swoop without considering the potential benefits they could provide?"

"I have thought of what they could potentially assist us with, given their city is a mobile one. They could gather resources in more distant places and assist during hardships, and vice versa. I-" He looked at the rest of them and laughed, a joyful sound that almost echoed around them. "Not used to a more regal Pickio, eh? I suppose that's fine. There aren't many with my inflection dressed as I do and polite to visitors."

He stepped forward. "Ahem... even with that boon, it's not so much my opinion that matters, but my people. They need a definitive reason, something we cannot do in order for their continued existence as a rival colony. If they mine a resource that we would struggle to trade for or have a special kind of foodstuffs that we cannot make, that would do it." He offered a sheepish smile, his gaze softening a little.

JJ returned the smile. "So, um... does that mean you'd be willing to meet with them and talk? In a neutral setting, of course."

"If they have resources we cannot acquire ourselves, then yes." The Pickio nodded. He coughed, a bit of blood coming out of his mouth.

Aya couldn't help but notice, giving a look of concern. "Are you... are you okay?"

He wiped the blood away and offered a smile that would make most ladies swoon. "It's merely an illness I deal with daily, although I appreciate the concern." He straightened his back, and looked back at JJ. "I'll give the peace talks a chance, Miss Jackie. Are there any specific rules, besides the obvious ones, I should know about?"

"Well, I offered to use my own ship as a neutral meeting place. Only the leaders and no more then two additional people to act as guards or advisors. And please, no one with an itchy trigger finger."

"Don't worry. I don't plan to sully your ship with blood. We will," he pointed to the most stalwart guard and behind himself to a rather inconspicuous Pickio that had managed to avoid detection from even Titania, "be ready to go as soon as you give us the word to do so."

JJ tilted her head, eyeing the Pickio behind him, and nodded. "Alright. With your leave, we will go call the ship now so we can board."

He nodded, his entourage gathering around him as the rest left to fulfill their duties. "Do as you must."

As three of them set about calling the ship, Titania smirked at Aya. "I think you got an admirer, friend. A wealthy one at that and not too bad looking either..."

Aya chuckled, a bit nervously. "I-I don't know about that. Pickio... they don't tend to like other races."

"Unless they're cute," JJ said with a wink.

"And he was definitely trying to flirt with you." Titania started, a smile coming unbidden to her lips. "Maybe you should ask him out on a date. You never know... maybe you're face will go a bit more red than it already is." She playfully nudged the Tamearin, winking at her teasingly.

Aya definitely reddened a bit. She cleared her throat and said, "M-maybe I will. I'm not picky, and I... I like people who break the mold of their race." She smiled and added, "And it is nice to talk to a Pickio that doesn't constantly interrupt me and call me names in favor of speaking to JJ."

"Not to encourage Aya changing the subject, but you were surprisingly patient with that other guy," JJ stated, her hands behind her head as they walked. "If you called me... I don't know, cat face or pussy lips or something, I might have decked him."

"I might've been thinking about it, but honestly? I've heard worst. Bitch, Freak-eyes, and Doggie... kinda makes his insults tame when you think about it." Titania shrugged. "Besides, you didn't hire me to go punching clients in the face. You wanted a professional who can be calm even with someone insulting them. In a way, you're still my primary client, and so that means I represent you wherever we go. Can't start tarnishing your name just because some asshole wants to be rude."

JJ smiled widely. "Wow, that's both nice and refreshing. Right Aya?"

The Tamearin rolled her eyes. "One time... and he touched both our butts! You would have if I hadn't..."

JJ giggled and held up her wrist, pressing a button on her communicator. "Come and get us. We'll be inviting guest aboard, some we'll need the whole ship." She lowered her wrist and leaned close to Titania, whispering, "He was actually sensually stroking her tail. More sensitive then it look, even more than a Cartus. You wanna get on a Tamearin's bad side quick, you touch their tail without permission. You might as well be grabbing a woman's breasts and squeezing."

"This is news to me..." Titania briefly glanced at Aya. "Tamearin biology is weird... cool, but weird... with us Dondondari, our tails can be sensitive as can our ears. But... not to that extent..." She tilted her head as she returned her gaze back to JJ. "A-anyways... You think she's actually going to go after the guy?"

"Nah," JJ answered honestly. "She's married to her work. Though she might give the guy a chance to flirt a little. She likes people pampering her."

"So essentially, if you don't mind me saying so, she wants to be spoiled with affection and treated like a princess." A pause. "What girl hasn't had that fantasy? Although, I'm a little surprised she doesn't want a little more from a guy..."

JJ shrugged. "I'm sure she does, deep down. Aya is just... complicated. She went most of her life with no affection or anyone really caring about her. It is only natural to seek those things out as an adult."

"Fair enough. I don't know you two very well, so I'm sorry if I come off as a bit of an Taslag." She frowned, looking at the universal translator on her hip. She smacked it then sighed. "Asshole. Sorry, I sometimes slip into my native tongue and my translator is due for a replacement..."

JJ smirked. "It's fine. I just get to learn some more colorful parts of your language." The ship touched down in front of them, and JJ looked back. "We should probably let the Pickio on first. Their leader seems different from your average Pickio, but they are still a very proud people. No good risking an insult."

"Gotcha. I'll go get them." Titania hurried off, disappearing as she went to go find the Pickio leader. She returned after a few minutes, leader and entourage in tow. The Pickio nodded respectfully at JJ as he passed her.

"This is a fine ship, Captain. A beauty in the stars, one could say." He however wasted no more time as he entered the ship, his expression one purely of business.

"He seems serious," JJ remarked.

"Good," Aya responded. "That means he'll take things serious and not just blow off what the others say." She nodded to Titania. "We'll be sitting in on their negotiations. I'd like for you to be there to. You're a part of all this know too. And your insight could be helpful."

"A trader's perspective is useful in dealing with two factions on the verge of war?" The fox rubbed her head. "Ummm... I'm not so sure about it... but if you both think it's a good idea, I'll go..."

They boarded the ship and headed for the flying colony. Again, guns were trained on them but didn't fire, powering down when the Golden Wind signalled them. They landed in the center of the complex, JJ stepping out to great their vegetable-like leader.

Rhizzy had one of the many small insectoid engineers with her as well as a taller Photecian, this one decorated with rough scars and cracks on his face plate.

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.5

"JJ, I'm so glad to see you." A psionic smile appeared, as the plant woman introduced her people. "This is Anala. She's our chief engineer and much like your chief engineer, she's a little shy and skittish at times."

"H-hello..." Anala said, somewhat sidling behind the tall plant woman.

Rhizzy raised her hand to pat the top of the other Photecian with affection. "And this is my son. His name is Bark of Green, but most call him Bar."

The bigger, meaner-looking Photecian merely held out a hand to JJ, several large pearls that would take the Cartus both hands to hold.

JJ twidled her fingers at the engineer before taking Bar's hand with both her hands and shaking it vigorously. "It is such a pleasure to meet you. I hope this all goes well so I have a chance to learn more about your people."

Bar merely nodded, depositing the pearls into her hands before gesturing towards the ship.

"I'm sure they're already on, Dear." Rhizzy started before offering an embarrassed smile. "He doesn't like his psionic voice so he tries not to talk. But, with time, I'm sure he will and I'm definitely sure that if we reach an accord with the Pickio, you'll have plenty of time to learn about us."

JJ nodded. She looked the pearls over, smiling, and motioned for them to follow her into the ship. "Are you sure you want to give these to me now? Usually people pay after they are sure we have done the job they tasked us with."

"Gift." Came the deep, crackly voice of Bar. "Payment... later." He gently patted her head, his fingers unintentionally scratching behind her ears. He looked down at her as his companions boarded, and removed his hand sheepishly before boarding.

JJ giggled lightly as she followed, and led them to the main meeting room on the upper deck. Aya was there with Titania and the Pickio, the Tamearin bringing up a holographic display of the planet, including a display of known Pickio settlements and the floating colony.

The regal Pickio noticed them and offered a slight bow. "Hello, Ms. Rhizome. I am Talk (T-all-k). I apologize for how circumstances have caused us to meet. Please, have a seat so we may begin negotiations." As Rhizome and her advisors sat down, Talk continued. "Due to how tough it is to collect resources, my people are a bit furious to the proximity of your city and to the technologically powerful city you have. They would want war, but I have managed to convince them to let me hear you out. I would prefer an ally than an enemy in these trying times. But in order to do that, we'd need access to some valuable resources your city produces. We-" Bar stood up, towering over the diplomat, crossing his arms. If Talk had been intimidated, he showed no fear, "would trade for it obviously, but such things would bolster our relations."

"That is a very bold thing to start a peace talk with, Mr. Talk." Rhizzy started, her eyes going to her son who immediately sat back down. "And while we do have the resources to trade, a trade deal is only good for both parties if we have things the other wants. To start off, we need C-lith batteries and components for thrusters, as well as new mechanical components for general maintenance of the city. We have many resources that we could offer to you as trade."

"What about Hardened Carapaces or Carapace spiking?" The small sneaky Pickio asked, her voice harder than it should've been. The room seemed to tense up at the question; Bar stood up, his claws flexing, the guard Pickio raised his rifle taking aim at Bar.

"That is a hard resource to acquire, Pickio. And usually, it costs someone's life to acquire."

"Well, why not start by offering something of eq-" The woman started before a hard look from Talk silenced her. He reached over to grab and lower the laser weapon his guardsman had raised.

"We understand the cost and the time requirement to acquire such things. We would ask that you give us a sample size of one or two, and the next four shipments of electronics will be free. Then perhaps in time, we can use both of our people to acquire the resource..." Talk bargained, a bead of sweat betraying his slight nervousness. A bit of blood seemed to leak from his mouth, a couple of drops hitting the table.

"Well... things are a bit tense right now," Aya said, clearing her throat. "But it would seem both sides are willing to talk. Willing to negotiate. This is good. If we all can be at ease, I'm sure we can come to an accord." She noted the drops of blood, cautiously adding, "Does anyone need anything before we continue?"

A more private psionic voice of Rhizome simply whispered, what's wrong, Dearie? You look a tad bit worried...

"N-no, no one in my group does." Talk replied, wiping the blood off of his mouth in a discrete way.

"We're fine as well. We can continue." Rhizome replied more publicly, tilting her head at Talk.

However, a third voice interrupted. "If you're going to do free shipments, do three and a bit of credits." Titania said softly, her eyes staring at Talk.

"Why?" Came the Noble's response

"The problem is that people who retrieve this stuff usually die right? If you compensate a select number of families who lost someone in the deep, you'll build up rapport with her people." Titania's eyes shifted to Rhizome, intense and focused. "And you should add in some pearls or other sea valuables."

"And why would I do that, Titania?"

"Because in order to do this trade deal and non-aggression pact, the Pickio will be losing money. Electronics are marked more valuable in the galactic market than monster bits. A bit of valuables like gems or pearls you find on the ocean floor will ease his citizen's xenophobia about you and you'll eventually settle into better trade deals down the line. Aya, could you take a look at some statistics of the galactic market to elaborate?"

"Of course," Aya said with a small smile, obviously glad she invited Titania. She typed on the computer table, the hologram of the planet being replaced with market trends, both in the region and in surrounding sectors. "She's right. If would make for a more even trade deal."

The two leaders paused and nodded, Talk discretely coughing up a bit more blood.

The Photecian reached across the table, her hand waiting for Talk's. "Talk, we have a deal."

As soon as the Pickio's hand touched hers, he fainted. A green light spread over him as both Pickio attendants aimed their weapons at Rhizome. However, their weapons were taken with vicious strength by the Black Photecian. "No... fighting..."

Titania narrowed her eyes at Rhizome. "Explain yourself."

"He was bleeding internally. I am merely trying to stabilize him and keep him alive." Rhizome replied softly. "I do not kill without reason, and I don't put my citizens in unnecessary danger. JJ... could you go and find a medical pack for him?"

"Um... y-yeah." The captain quickly took off out of the room.

Aya knelt besides Talk. "What do you mean he was bleeding eternally? The whole time he's been here? From what? And how did you know?"

"Well, normally any species blood should remain inside their body... when that doesn't happen, usually something is wrong. And him coughing up blood frequently or having it drip from his mouth means it had been happening for a bit, yes. As for what," Rhizzy answered, her other hand going over the downed Pickio. "I don't know. My powers do have their limits. As for how I know, I've healed people before."

"I just wish you had warned us a little," Aya muttered. "What if those two had immediately opened fire?"

"Then my natural armor would've been shredded, and as long as they missed my three vital organs for living, I'd be fine. Bar would've knocked them out and then I would've had to mentally convince him not to hurt them further, wasting precious time to heal Talk. Or I'd die and you'd have a lovely piece of vegetation to dispose of." Rhizzy answered, a mental frown appearing as she started to mumble. "This is taking too long... poison...? But that would've required weeks of giving it to him... old wound...? Unlikely... he'd be dead otherwise..."

"Poison? Why would someone poison..." Titania paused, biting her lip gently. She turned to Aya. "I'm gonna go call my mom. She should know definitively if he's begun poisoned and what we can do to rectify it. You good to keep order here by yourself?"

Aya nodded. "Of course. Please hurry."

Titania ran out one door as JJ ran in from another, medical kit in hand. She knely next to the others and said, "I-I don't understand. He must have been in pain, so why he wouldn't tell anyone? Why risk further injury to come here?"

"Would you do whatever you had to to keep your crew safe, Jackie?" Rhizzy asked softly, the aura fading away from one hand as she grabbed the medical supplies. "Would you risk everything for the people aboard your ship, who trust you to see them survive and thrive?"

JJ nodded. "Yes, I... I suppose I would." She sighed. "I just hope we can help him, both for his sake and ours. It would look bad if he died on our ship..."

"And then war would break out, countless thousands would die... no big deal." Came a soft, almost bookish voice.

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.6

"Bar, stop being pessimistic. He's not going to die." Rhizzy scolded, as she grabbed out a laser to open his chest cavity as well as a gel pack that would seal wounds closed. The plant woman's sharp fingers gently brushed against several organs, trying to determine if they were bleeding. She found the correct one; his stomach. Using the laser to open it up, she quickly grabbed the bag JJ had given her and discarded most of the contents in it before scooping what remained in his stomach with her healing hand.

A bit of gel, and a couple cuts to his intestines later, Talk slept on the floor peacefully his surgery scars somewhat visible. Rhizome's hand had burnt away, although she promised that she could regrow it in time. "I hope I didn't upset anyone too much with the surgery..."

JJ shook her head, though visibly looked queasy and a bit green. Aya seemed unaffected, and said, "That was amazing. You obviously have practice with surgery."

"Yes... you see, while Mayor is my current job, I'm one of the doctors for our floating city." Rhizzy shrugged before looking over to JJ. "I'm sorry that you had to see that, Captain JJ... it was not my intention to make you feel sick."

JJ waved her hand. "It's fine, I'll live. I just hope he will to."

"You were working on his digestive system," Aya noted. "So it was poison, huh?"

Rhizome nodded. "I believe so. Stomach acid shouldn't have dissolve my hand so quickly and definitely shouldn't have made holes in organs meant to withstand said acids. Having said that, I found no trace of liquids or foods, so it's been in his system for a bit." Rhizome stood up from her patient and finally went to go sit in a chair, her bright and natural colors deadening into more dull ones. Even the flowers that made up her hair appeared to be in a state of rot; petals falling off to the floor and table.

"Stay by him," Aya told JJ, and walked over to the plant woman. "Are you going to be okay? That seemed to take a lot out of you."

"Had to use a bit more energy than I wanted to keep Talk breathing, but yes... I'll be fine." Rhizzy yawned mentally, her body going still. "I'll be effectively weaker than normal and a bit more susceptible to sickness, but that's a small price to pay for someone's life."

Aya nodded, though under the circumstances she wasn't so sure about the risk. She looked towards the door, wondering were Titania got off to.

As if right on cue, the half-Dondondari bursted through the doors, a datapad clutched to her chest. When she paused, the foxgirl quickly held up her data tablet to reveal a very bold-looking woman; her eyes seemed to be calculated and ruthless for whatever warmth they may have had seemed to have dissipated long ago. Her auburn hair was showing some signs of graying but otherwise she looked like she could be in her forties. "Hello. My daughter says that someone has been poisoned and you need help identifying said poison. How was the poison used, its side effects?"

"Ingested, slow-acting, and caused internal bleeding by burning holes into the digestive organs via enhanced stomach acids." Rhizome answered, causing Titania to pan towards her.

The steely-eyed human stared at the plant woman with an unhealthy look for a moment before coughing into her hand. "Well, there's several poisons that can do what you've described. Most can be remedied by removing the stomachs acid, but some just depend on whether the person is strong enough to endure them and build a partial immunity towards it. I assume you already did medical procedures."

"We did," Aya answered. "We removed the stomach contents. The acids were strong enough to burn Rhizome's hand clear off."

"That... a hand? I suppose that could be..." The woman left her area, and the sounds of pages being flipped through could be heard. "I have a couple of poisons that could do that to someone's hand... and if they are them, your patient will survive. Barely and he will be weak for the couple of years, but alive nonetheless."

"Thanks, Mom." Titania turned the datapad to smile at the empty room.

"No problem, Tee Tee. Call more often preferably when you're not on the job."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Now, is there anything else you all want from me or is that it?" The Human woman stepped back into focus just as Titania spun the datapad around.

"Just one question," JJ said. "Are any of these poisons something he could have accidentally ingested? Or are they something someone would have had to purposely make and give to him?"

The woman snorted. "If it was accidental, he must’ve been asleep concocting and drinking it. These kinds of poisons are meant to build-up over time, so you have to keep receiving doses. And they taste like shit, so usually it is pretty hard to put large amounts of it into food or drinks."

"In other words, he was poisoned by someone who had access to his food and or drinks..." The woman paused, her eyes staring intently at the Cartus, as if that action could allow her to know everything about JJ. "Captain."

JJ quickly nodded, more than a little intimidated by the woman. "I understand. Thank you for your help.

"No problem, Captain. Have fun with your little bounty mission..." The woman said softly, a small predatory smile appearing for a moment before the image cut out.

"Sorry about that... she's really nice, I promise!" Titania rubbed her neck a little as she offered a rather sheepish smile.

"That's alright," Aya said. "Think nothing of it..." A smirk. "...Tee Tee."

"I can and will put you into a headlock." Titania threatened lightheartedly, cracking her knuckles. She took a few steps towards Aya, before winking and stopping. "So definitely-not-going-to-regret-teasing-me First Mate, what are we going to do about our poisoned dignitary?"

Aya frowned. "I suppose we'll take care of him until he wakes up." She turned to his two attendants. "Who would be in the best position to poison him regularly?"

The assassin-looking Pickio, who had given up trying to resist being held by Bar, merely cracked her neck in response. "There's plenty of people who could, the real question is who is in the position to gain the most out of his death?" She paused dramatically before shrugging. "But considering I've been held by a plant man for some time, and you want answers... how about you let me go and give me five hundred credits for recompense?"

Titania stared at the smaller woman. "Your leader is literally recovering after an assassination attempt and you choose now to bargain for information that would keep him alive?" Her tone had taken on a faux quiet calm, some rage hidden under her passive words.

"Not my problem. I don't work for the person who leads, only for the chair said person occupies. Now, money and release." The assassin looked at JJ with uncaring eyes, while her companion struggled to try and lunge at her.

JJ squeezed her fists angrily, but sighed. "Fine... five hundred. But not one credit more, and don't withhold any information."

Bar stared at her with a disapproving look, but with a tired nod from Rhizome, released the Pickio. The woman started stretching and smiled. "I'm surprised you didn't figure it out already, but I suppose Pickio power struggles are not exactly common. Talk is more like Old-Earth nobility in terms of what kind of leader he is. He had an old-flame who absolutely hated him but, due to feeling some guilt over the break-up, let her stay inside the courtesan noble area. She poisoned him, as they were trying to get back together and she prepared food for him frequently. But she's too dumb to actually make poison, much less plot to murder Talk." She started sauntering over to the door, before a beam of light that could easily cut her in half stopped her in her path.

"Who is it then?" Titania asked, her voice becoming icy.

"His cousin, dumb fuck. Who else gets the land if not another noble and who has free time to learn alchemical talents? Now," The assassin looked back at JJ, taking out a datapad as she did so, "mind paying me and telling your guard dog to stand down." The sword visibly moved a bit closer, the foxgirl's anger an almost palpable thing in the room.

JJ held up a hand to Titania. "It's okay. I don't like it anymore then you do, but we got the info we need."

The blade retracted as Titania let the smaller woman pass. Or she would've, had the assassin not glanced at her datapad expectantly before walking over and handing it to JJ. "Payment." Was all she said, her eyes emotionless and cruel.

It was precisely then that the more loyal guard, who was at that moment struggling mightily against Bar, reached out a hand to try to strangle her. However, trying to strangle someone from several feet away was a difficult affair and having no other way to harm her, merely let out a litany of swears.

The assassin, in response to this, merely tilted her head somewhat and repeated her earlier statement.

JJ sighed, pulling out a card and transfering 500 credits. "There. Now please leave. We have a murder attempt to deal with."

The woman nodded turned and proceeded to walk out of the room.

Titania opened her mouth, probably to chastise her boss for her too kind demeanor, but upon seeing JJ's expression, thought better of it and instead asked, "So... are we going to attempt an arrest on Talk's cousin, Captain?"

"Yes, though I feel we should get Talk's approval first. Is it safe to wake him up?"

Rhizome nodded, not bothering to speak and drain anymore energy she had left.

Aya pulled out an autoinjector from the medkit and lightly pressed it against Talk's arm, a small dose of adrenaline to wake him.

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.7

He didn't wake up initially, but after around thirty seconds of waiting, a soft groan of pain wafted up through the air accompanied by the slight scratching of nails on metal. Slowly, as if coming out of a daze, Talk's eyes fluttered open and took a moment to focus on Aya. "Why hello there..." He whispered, his eyes briefly scanning around the room before returning to Aya.

She smiled kindly. "Don't make any sudden movements. You're okay now, but we had to do emergency surgery on you."

"Is that why I hurt, then? I suppose that makes sense..." The noble murmured, before a smile slowly prompted onto his face. "But waking up to see your beautiful face is quite a treat. One, I'm fairly sure, I won't get to have more of." He slowly moved his arms to push off the ground, his face twisting in pain as he made it to a sitting position. "S-so... What did you find with your check-up of me?"

"You were poisoned," JJ said. "A nasty poison you have been receiving for some time. It was eating away at you from the inside."

Aya nodded. "We have reason to believe a cousin of yours is responsible."

He paused, his face unreadable, but his eyes alighting with barely contained rage. "I shall... have a talk with him." He said in a low voice, one that broke away from his more noble visage. "But before I do, can you explain what your evidence is?"

"Your stomach and digestive organs were being melted slowly, and we had a toxologist of sorts tell us that it was a slow poison. Your assassin, before she left to who knows where, gave us information only because Jackie paid her. She knew about the plot but did nothing, it seems." Rhizome added, her voice a bit more fainter.

Titania walked over to the sitting but still taller plant woman and picked her up with barely any resistance. "Okay, you're going to the medbay. Ash, meet me there when you can. I'll need a bit of help setting up the medical equipment." Titania walked out without a response, hurrying as fast as she dared.

Once the two had left, Talk looked over to Aya. "I'm going to guess her condition has something to do with me?"

Aya nodded. "She used her own hand as a surgical tool, and it was so corrosive that it melted it right off. That and the energy she was likely pumping in to you to keep you stable..."

"Then I owe her quite a fair bit then." Talk said quietly, before attempting to stand, his face once more twisting into anguish as he made it to his feet. Through gritted teeth, he continued. "Well, I know that this may be asking you too much, but could you capture my cousin? I believe he was the one who spoke to you when you first landed... and I promise I'll reimburse you for all your time and for helping with the peace talks..."

Aya smirked a bit. "It would be our pleasure. Right, JJ?"

JJ nodded. "We'll head down right away."

Bar, now calming down, set his new ally down and waited patiently by the door. It seemed the plant man wanted to go with

Talk offered a smile before reaching into his robes and pulling out a sphere that glowed a deep purple. "Take this. It's a biometric scanner linked to me and it should make any of my, hopefully, still loyal guards aid you." His smile became a little flirtacious as he took a couple hesitant steps forward, putting the sphere into the Tamearin's hands. "I hope this helps you, Lady Aya."

"Thank you." Finally giving in, she gave him her own flirtatious wink. "Just leave everything to us."

"As you wish, Lady Aya." Talk took a seat, doing his best to hide his pain at moving his torso. "May you be lucky in your-"

"Dear Phansa'for... enough. We have a lot to do, so either start fucking or stop." Bar groaned, sharp fingers rubbing his neck. "I swear you more common races have such a tough time keeping it in your pants..."

"Endeavors..." Talk looked a bit annoyedly at the Photecian, but made and said no comment.

Aya blushed a bit, but kept her friendly smile as she headed to the bridge to bring them down to the surface. Once back on land, she, JJ, Titania, Bar, and Talk's companion stepped out, looking for their target. "Maybe he's in the... castle? Talk is like royalty, so does he have a castle?"

"If you mean our administrative building, then yes, he could be in a castle." The guard, who they had found to be named Tlom, answered. "Unfortunately, if you want in, you have to keep me alive. Biometric scanners keep the giant death lasers away and refrain from calling in backup." His hand tightened around his spear as he led them up several streets, making sure to use alleyways and backdoors to keep them hidden.

Soon they approached a construct that looked much like a castle; it's stone and concrete structure dwarfing much of the surrounding buildings near it and resplendent with silvers and holds. It was imposing and certainly a bit awe-inspiring with its regal design. The only flaws the building had were the dozens and dozens of laser minigun mounted on it, just as resplendent in gold and silver as the rest of the building.

Titania blinked a couple times before leaning over towards Aya. "This is your boyfriend's house? Damn... I'm a little tempted to steal him just for this..."

"He's not... if you really want..." Aya blushed again and cleared her throat, tightening her grip on the device she had been given. "Come on. Let's get this over with quickly."

As they approached, several guards began raising their weapons only to lower them at the sight of Tlom. "What are they doing here?" Asked one of the guards.

"Due to the peace delegations, they have agreed to cease any hostile acts and the mercenaries are assisting me with delivering the plant to a holding room until further notice." Tlom responded, sounding a bit bored.

"That's weird... Why would-"

"Because the plant is officially a foreign dignitary. If you want to start a war, go ahead and shoot him."

The guards quickly gave each other a look and stepped aside. "You may enter... but we will still need to pat down the mercenaries for really powerful weaponry."

"This is going to be tricky without any weapons," JJ muttered to Aya before pulling out a pair of pistols and offering them up, Aya doing the same with her rifle.

Titania grumbled as she unslung her rifle and handed them her ranged weapons.

A guard raised an eyebrow at the handle on her waist. "What is that?"

"A spacial relay communicator, microsized for easy interpersonal communication that should revolutionize how we can communicate with those in orbit and those on the ground... and in the future, they'll transcend the long range communication arrays that are super faulty. But I'm getting ahead of myself," Titania started, a fake gleam in her eyes that only Aya and JJ could recognize, taking hold. "Would you like me to go in depth on the mechanical constraints or the design layout, first?"

"Erm... uh, neither." The older looking guard scratched the back of his head. "Just shut up and follow Tlom. He'll show you where to take the plant."

"Are you sure? Because-"

Both guards eyes twitched, but only the older one continued. "Y-yes... You can retrieve your gear when you come back out. Just... go..."
They stepped inside, Aya giving Titania an impressed smirk as they followed Tlom. "I wonder if Talk's cousin is expecting news of Talk's fate..." JJ wondered out loud.

"Probably... I just hope whatever hole he's hiding in isn't too fortified..." Titania replied, a bit darkly. She shook her head after a moment and patted JJ on the back. "But as long as we got you, we can handle whateve5r he throws at us."

A hallway with crystals of various shapes and sizes dotting its walls soon appeared to their right. Several guards stood idly by, these ones marked with golden patterns on their armor.

"We are here, bounty hunters." Tlom said softly, his face stoic but his voice slightly nervous.

"This place is so... fancy." JJ said, almost like she forgot why they were there. "I never knew Pickio made structures like this."

"Well, Pickio are mostly space faring people," Aya reminded her. "We don't have a lot of information on those that actually settle down, eother from xenophobia or... people... not caring to know..." She look down at Tlom. "No offense."

"None taken." The Pickio Guard shrugged. "If you pay me later, I'll give you a history lesson on the planet."

Titania, however, gently bonked JJ over the head. "Come on, Jackie. We can stare at the shiny things later. We got a job to do for right now..." She said softly, shaking her head at Tlom's offer.

"Righ, right! Sorry..." JJ scratched her cheek nervously. "Let's get this family hurting, regicidal jerk!"

The team walked past the guards and entered the room the guards had been guarding to reveal the horrible Pickio that had been the cause of so much trouble. "Why is my cousin not back? And why did you bring Dog Ears, Monkey Tail, and a plant into here?" The snide and rude voice asked. He sat in a chair that was much too big for him, flanked by two power-armored Pickio Guards.

"Okay, first off, stop calling my friends that," JJ insisted. "It is rude and you know it. Second, I get the feeling you didn't expect him to come back at all. You expected him to die on my ship."

"Why would you think that?" He asked, tilting his head. "Are you trying to hint that I've done something?"

Bar took a few steps towards the door, ready to block it if need be.

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.8

"Don't play dumb." JJ pointed at him. "You poisoned Talk. You used his Courtesan to slowly poison him so you could take his place. You sitting in that thrown like you own it already shows how true that is."

"Accusing someone of the nobility of regicide is a crime punishable by life imprisonment. Guards, take her and her cohorts away." The traitor took out a laser pistol, aiming it at JJ.

With a blur of movement, Titania leaped into action. Her sword flared out to three feet before promptly striking, and more importantly, knocking down one of the royal guards blocking her

The horrible man fired, scoring a direct hit to Titania's head, burning away her left eye and part of her face. If this level of disfigurement hurt the foxgirl she didn't make it known as she sliced the hand holding the laser gun off, promptly before positioning herself behind the Pickio. "If JJ wasn't so nice, I'd happily slice your neck and watch you asphyxiate. But your cousin wanted you alive and so did JJ." She growled into his ear, the blade searing his neck.

The guard who had led them there was explaining the situation to the still standing Pickio in Power Armor in their native language. Meanwhile, the door bulged at the various attempts to open it, but Bar stood resolute, if a bit shocked at the blackened crater that was an eye and the deadened skin on the left side of Titania's face.

"T-Titania!" JJ ran over to her while Aya took out the object Talk had given her. "A-are you okay?! Oh god, your face!"

" No, I'm not okay. I just got shot in the fucking face." Titania growled, before taking a deep breath. "Sorry. I'm very, very pissed off and I'm trying to not slice our bounty's throat out of anger... even though I really want to." Her remaining eye glared daggers at her attacker, as if he'd fall over dead.

The Royal guards stood down and walked to the door Bar had blockaded, opening it and shutting it before more conversation in the Pickio language could be heard.

"You're in a lot of trouble," JJ told their bounty. "You're probably facing a long sentence, if not an execution. Make it easier for yourself and cooperate."

Titania's blade moved a little bit to allow the Pickio to talk. "I am cooperating, Cartus. And you better hope they kill me beca-" The Pickio started before a familiar laser sword came closer.

"Are you threatening my Captain? Because if you are, I'm allowed to take your fucking head. Please make one more threat towards her. I'll be the happiest woman in the galaxy, if you do..." Titania started smiling, which when coupled with her burnt and disfigured face offered a ghoulish look.

The Pickio instead of verbally threatening JJ, instead glared at her and mouthed a word that the Shinso had made: Cheri.

JJ snarled, balling her fists. She stepped away before she did something she'd regret. "If he tries to do anything funny, kill him." She tried to get her cool back as she walked to the door to see what was going on with the guards.

It seemed a good chunk of guards, numbering at a crisp fifty, with about ten of them in power armor, had come running to intercept them. However, Tlom was busy explaining away what had happened, albeit without the universal translator on.

When he noticed JJ approach, he quickly reactivated it. "Hello, Captain. I've just finished explaining to the rest of the royal guards what happened." A pause. "Are you upset because of the damage sustained by one of your crew?"

"Um... yeah. Of course I am. And she is none to happy too. We need to get him to Talk before she loses it... or I do..."

Tlom nodded and, after turning his translator off again, gave a command to the other Pickio Guards. Five of the ones in power armor stepped forward. Another tap to the translator, "These men will hold him under threat of death and will execute him alongside anyone who tries to free him. You can leave to go back up to your ship and grab Lord Talk, if you wish."

"Thank you." JJ walked back over to Titania. "They'll handle it from here. "Come on, we really need to get that wound treated."

Titania reluctantly moved her sword away as the guards entered, two raising their energized spears at the regicidal cousin. "Pray we never meet again when I'm on a job... because I will kill you very slowly." She whispered, before walking over to JJ. "As you wish, Captain."

JJ looked at her with such regret and led her to the exit. "I am so sorry..." she said. "We'll... I-I will do all I can to help you."

Titania gingerly reached a hand up to where her eye had once been. There was no trace of it left and most of the skin surrounding it had been burned away to reveal bone.

"I appreciate that... but I can't pilot well anymore. Wouldn't it be better to hire a new pilot and fire me?" She asked softly, moving a hand to brush some hair over the major wound to hide it.

"No, no! Don't even think we'd abandon you like that." JJ scratched her cheek. "I'm going to get you a brand new eye! A better eye! My treat for taking the hit in my place."

Titania shook her head slowly. "Too expensive. If I was either fully dondondari or human, It'd be more affordable. Because I'm not, the price is astronomical." She explained, rubbing the back of her neck. "Although I am a bit happy that you'll keep me along. I was a little worried you might not."

"Of course. And I will do everything in my power to find an affordable replacement for you, even if it takes years." JJ looked truly sorry, guilt in her voice.

Titania sighed, turned and wrapped her arms around her friend in a gentle hug. "Stop it. Unless you shot me, I don't see why you owe me a new anything." She tried to soothingly rub JJ's back as they stood there.

JJ hugged her back, sighing deeply. "Okay. But remember that you're part of the family now. We won't abandon you."

"I'm part of the family? Now you're just getting sentimental." Titania let go of JJ to reach under her legs and pick her up, one hand under her back, in a princess carry. "Guess I need to go put you in bed with our other pilot. Who knows, you might be able to mess around or she'll make you start smiling again." Titania joked, hiding the wince from the pain she had masterfully.

JJ did smile again, even chuckled. "Okay, okay. You can put me down now."

"I can? I had no idea I was capable of such a thing." Titania teased, setting her boss down onto her feet. "Good thing you reminded me, huh?"

JJ chuckled again, and patted Titania on the back. "Come on. Let's get Talk so we can get this over with."

"Are you so sure that bringing me is a good idea? I kind of look a bit repulsive..." the foxgirl rubbed the back of her neck.

"You don't look repulsive," JJ assured her. "I can't do much about the eye right now, but a little while with a dermal regenerator will help a lot. That being said, maybe you should head straight to the infirmary..."

"Right... well, when we get on, I'll head straight there. You'll tease Aya for me, right?"

"Will do," JJ stated, saluting her injured comrade. Once on the ship, she sent Titania off to be tended to while she made her way to Talk.

Once she arrived, however, she found the noble to be asleep in a chair, a hand over his stomach. He looked more serene than a Pickio ought to look, but even in his sleep, it was obvious that he was troubled: his eyebrows twitched and his hands kept clenching tightly, the knuckles turning white.

She shook her head sadly, and glanced at Aya. "Maybe we should let him rest."

Aya nodded. "Yeah. But let's bring him home." She carefully lifted the man into her arms and carried him through the ship.

As they walked, the noble slowly stirred. As his eyes opened slowly, and albeit, a bit groggily. As soon as they focused on Aya, a genuine sigh of happiness accompanied by a smile. "This is the second time I've had the pleasure to see your beautiful face."

Aya smiled down at him. "Good day, your majesty. I am pleased to report your cousin is in custody."

"That is wonderful news... although, that also means that you'll more than likely be leaving soon as well. After payment, of course." He said, his eyes growing a bit sadder.

Aya thought about it, and sighed. "I mean... we're probably going to be in this system for quite a while. I... I don't see why I... couldn't come and visit."

"Then I suppose I'd be the happiest and luckiest man in the galaxy." Talk replied, his sadness replaced with joy. He leaned up, something that must've been a Herculean task given his condition, but paused. "Can I... may I give you a kiss?"

Aya smiled at him once more. "I'd be honored."

Talk reaches up to gently cup Aya's face. He leaned in, and gently pressed his lips against hers in a somewhat shy kiss.

Aya kissed him back. She never saw herself willingly kissing a Pickio, but here she was, and it wasn't so bad.

As he pulled back after a few moments, Talk's face turns a bit purple. It would seem the bravado and noble nature he had faded away into nothing save a very shy man. "U-umm... T-thank you, Lady Aya."

"You are very welcome, your... Talk." Aya smiled sweetly.

The blush seemed to grow deeper as the Pickio looked away, trying to recover his wits. He let out a soft cough before looking back. "I have a feeling you're more practiced in the art of flirting than I am..."

Aya shrugged. "What can I say." She grinned. "With looks like this, a lot of people give me such practice."

Black0ut

Enter the Web of Intrigue, pt.9

As Talk opened his mouth, a psionics voice spoke. "I get why you two get all lovey-dovey, you think she's hot, she thinks you're cute and adorable, but why dodge around the fact that you like each other? Just mate and call it good." Bar said, a bit of a mental frown present. He was at the end of the hall and began making his way towards JJ. "Jackie. Mind if we talk? I'm fairly sure you're friend would defend your client against practically anything, and what I want to discuss is kinda important."

JJ was surprised to hear him speak so much, mentally or otherwise. She nodded and stepped to the side with him. "What's up?"

"I wanna join your crew." Bar crossed his arms, his face plate opening. "Ifff... tha-a-at... ok-k-kay..."

JJ blinked in surprise. "You do? I mean... I would love to have you? But why so suddenly? And what about...?"

"Already contacted my replacement as Chief Hunter and my Mother is safe with a strong ally to protect her." He replied rather quietly. "I... don-n't... wa-a-ant... to... di-i-ie... unde-r-rr... the... waves-s-s..."

JJ nodded and smiled. "I would love to have you on board. You have already proven yourself quite capable. So... welcome to the Golden Wind."

He reached down and his sharp claws began to gently scratch behind JJ's ears. "Thank you, Captain. I'll do whatever menial or major thing around the ship you want me to do."

JJ momentarily lost herself in the scratching before clearing her throat and asking, "Do you have any specialties?"

"Radar management. Sonars taught me how to read the signals and the difference between the two is very little. Also, I'm fairly good at combat, evidenced by my claws and natural armor... and I give really good 'scritches' behind ears." Bar continued to scratch behind her ears angling his fingers at different points so as to hear a foreign concept called 'purring' or 'sighing'.

Purr she did a little, commenting, "I can... think of many places... to put you. Glad to... have you... on board."

"It is a pleasure to be aboard. If you don't mind me stopping, I'll go and deal with a call." He said, his second hand gently scritching underneath JJ's chin. "Is that okay, Captain JJ?"

JJ nodded, her eyes rolling back a bit. "Take... all the time... that you need..."

A telepathic smile appeared in her head, the giant plant man pulling his hands away. "If you need me for anything, don't hesitate to ask." He said before walking away towards the entryway into the Golden Wind to grab his few belongings before the departure.

JJ smiled a dopey smile as she watched him walk off. "W-will do," she cried after him.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and Black0ut: A King's Deal of Devils

Drake checked his research notes, keep track of the many creatures he had work with over the years. He pulled up a file labeled "Sunflower" and examined the content inside. "If only there was a way to make her more docile..." He muttered to himself. "Now that she is no longer afflicted, her lust for blood needs to be removed as soon as possible."

His room began to flicker before the lights cut out. The file on the screen faded away into a skull image, a bit cartoon-y looking. "Why? Aren't murderous tiny children great disposable assets?" Read the text on the screen.

"She's not exactly tiny anymore..." Drake stated as he peered at Sun sleeping im the corner. "And I find that her innocent appearance would be better suited for infiltration... As opposed to the fields of war."

"Then why give predator DNA to her? The combat potential, combined with the bloodthirst she has makes her far more suited to combat than infiltration." The text countered.

"It was a combination that had a surprising effect that I had been looking for." The researcher explained. "The genes chosen were able to counteract and kill cancer cells. It was the reason I performed the operation in the first place, so she could continue to live."

"Morality? That's unexpected... Anyways, it's best if I talk to your... leader? Head researcher? I don't know... but I do know that weaponizing electronics is not the best thing to do when attempting to talk with others..." A timer started ticking for twenty minutes.

"Westwood, we've got a problem on our hands." Drake stated with a finger on his ear.

"What the hell is it this time?" The soldier snapped, not bothering to use his communicator as he walked into the room. He paused as he look at the timer. "I'll go inform Master..." He muttered lightly as the trench coat wearer walked into another room.

"So... Is the girl your daughter? And who is the guy? Best friend?" The text appeared over the timer.

"Westwood and I are comrades, Sunflower is a young girl he found several years ago." Drake explained. "He asked me to cure her, so I did. Unlike my peers at the time, I cared little about the immorality of doing genetic tests of a young girl."

"Then why let her sleep in your room?"

"You could say I've grown attached to the child, having taken care of her for many years..." The man remarked, before a large armored form appeared behind him.

"I see they have arrived." The armor spoke. "You may return to your prior arrangement, Drake."

"Who has arrived? Is it the pizzaman? And what kind of pizza have you acquired?" The text asked once more.

"I am Master." The armor king stated. "I command the man you spoke to earlier... As well as the girl and the soldier."

"Any title that's less presumptuous?" The screen asked as the timer faded away.

"Title? That is my name, dear child." Master stated to the text in front of him. "A name that was given to me long ago, before your time."

"Have respect, old man. This child has done quite a number of terrible known things and many more unknown things." A high-pitch male voice came on, somewhat warningly in a sing-song voice. "Just call me Ghost or Joe. Either is preferable to 'dear child'. As for your name... I'll call you... Pizza or Mas for short."

A pause. "So, Mas, how did you know I was coming?"

"I had planned this meeting." Master answered, the floor echoing as he sat on the metal beneath him. "You have skills I wish to have for my cause. You have already proven yourself worthy... If the claims I've heard are true."

A snort echoed on the other line. "I could blow up your room if I wanted to. But... you see, as someone who controls a significant military, espionage, and criminal corpus, why would I work for you? No, if you want anything with me, it will be a partnership." A pause. "Is that what you are asking for?"

"I wouldn't have arranged this meeting if I had not planned such an agreement." Master bellowed confidently. "I do not work with those who are not worthy."

"Alright. But why do you want my help and what do I get out of this arrangement?"

"Your talents would be useful in obtain the last remain pieces to our puzzle." The armored man explained to the voice in the computer. "As for your prize... I am curious what a Ghost in the shell like yourself would wish to obtain, so make an offer and I shall see if it is achievable."

"You see, that is not something I'll divulge immediately, as I know you won't fully tell me about your end goal. But... I'll consider your offer at the very least. After all, there's not much I haven't heard of before and that deserves some thought, Pizza." The voice offered a very crazed laugh, one that would unnerve any sane individual.

The Master gave a modest, yet similarly unnerving laugh in return. "You will do finely in the preparations for the Day of Retribution."

"That's if I accept, dear Pizza. Just remember: There are certain things you can't do in the sector without drawing my ire. Keep that in mind as you go forward..." The laughter turned into cackling, before the line went dead, the lights flicked back on, and the device returned back to normal.

Master stood in silence for a moment, before beginning to hum his old war song. The armored behemoth stood up and turned to Westwood. "Are preparations in order?"

"Yes, I have the whole base set up for our assault." Westwood confirmed. "I must ask, sir. Why General Stoutfield? His military base is rather weak after a supposed weapon theft incident... Wouldn't a stronger compound be a more worthy target?"

"You are correct in that assumption." The Master remarked as he walked to the exit. "However, this is a more personal crusade. I believe it is time our dear General faced the ghosts of his past."