Terra Dolor: OOC Discussion & Think Tank

Taxor_the_First

DID I HEAR A HERETIC TALK?! ONLY A CRUSADER IS WORTHY TO PURGE THE CORRUPTION FROM THIS PLACE. DEUS VULT DEUS VULT DEUS VULT!!
Obligatory:
https://youtu.be/cj2HvGPv0XM
(Mild spoilers past 1 minute for a particular enemy if you care that much zomb)

Not gonna chip in on the naming a class after me thing just because they will die very quickly, I'm sure of it. Related advice: hero death is a rather temporary inconvenience. If you're not one to grind out levels to replace dead teams, just play radiant. I'm pretty sure the xp gain is the only difference to normal. There's no failure condition like there is in xcom - the darkest dungeon isn't going anywhere. It'll sit there until you beat it, regardless of how many teams you need to train up to go in. Patience, and know that my normal playthrough took me... 131 hours jesus fuck.

Good luck... And remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Obligatory:
https://youtu.be/cj2HvGPv0XM
(Mild spoilers past 1 minute for a particular enemy if you care that much zomb)

Not gonna chip in on the naming a class after me thing just because they will die very quickly, I'm sure of it. Related advice: hero death is a rather temporary inconvenience. If you're not one to grind out levels to replace dead teams, just play radiant. I'm pretty sure the xp gain is the only difference to normal. There's no failure condition like there is in xcom - the darkest dungeon isn't going anywhere. It'll sit there until you beat it, regardless of how many teams you need to train up to go in. Patience, and know that my normal playthrough took me... 131 hours jesus fuck.

Good luck... And remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.
Oh, trust me. I am nice and underconfident... 131 hours, huh? Sure get your money's worth.

Taxor_the_First

Oh, trust me. I am nice and underconfident... 131 hours, huh? Sure get your money's worth.
Not bad for $20 or so, ye. Most of that was probably me just faffing about being meticulous with teams. I probably could have stood to be more confident with some things tbh. Also stupid mistakes requiring me to retrain entire teams.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Hey. I just want you all to know how much I care about all of you. You have had such an impact on me that I consider you all the most important people to me.

I love you all. And my life would be so much worse and I would be much lesser of a person without you. You've all had an incredible affect on me and who I am today. I wouldn't be who I am today without Gamigon. So from the bottom of my heart. Thank you; Thank you all.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
2018-08-17-smash-or-pass.jpg

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I remember seeing this comic it was very sweet. On a not so sweet site.
Indeed.

Hey, Darkest Dungeon players, am I expected to flee from missions a lot at first because... shit's hard. I'm going into a level one mission and having enemies hit my for half a character's life points. Am I expected to do a lot of missions grabbing what loot I can and running, because I feel I am spending as much to cure stress as I'm making.

Taxor_the_First

Indeed.

Hey, Darkest Dungeon players, am I expected to flee from missions a lot at first because... shit's hard. I'm going into a level one mission and having enemies hit my for half a character's life points. Am I expected to do a lot of missions grabbing what loot I can and running, because I feel I am spending as much to cure stress as I'm making.
As the ancestor himself says, "the sin is not in being outmatched... But in failing to recognise it." Do remember that recruiting new heroes is absolutely entirely free. If you have a stressed level 0 or 1 hero that you don't really have the money to care for and there's another of the same class sitting in the stagecoach, you may as well fire them and recruit the new one. Obviously check their abilities and quirks before doing that, but it's an option.

The majority of "getting gud" for DD is learning how enemies work, which ones to target first, how to counter them, etc. Just as important as knowing your enemy is knowing yourself - what your heroes can do. Expect to mess up a bit at first - the game is quite forgiving in terms of how hard it is to actually get yourself in a strategic bind. Learn from failure. Frankly, you running a bunch is already smarter than me stubbornly insisting they fight to the death.

Then again, a dead hero doesn't cost anything in stress reduction.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
As the ancestor himself says, "the sin is not in being outmatched... But in failing to recognise it." Do remember that recruiting new heroes is absolutely entirely free. If you have a stressed level 0 or 1 hero that you don't really have the money to care for and there's another of the same class sitting in the stagecoach, you may as well fire them and recruit the new one. Obviously check their abilities and quirks before doing that, but it's an option.

The majority of "getting gud" for DD is learning how enemies work, which ones to target first, how to counter them, etc. Just as important as knowing your enemy is knowing yourself - what your heroes can do. Expect to mess up a bit at first - the game is quite forgiving in terms of how hard it is to actually get yourself in a strategic bind. Learn from failure. Frankly, you running a bunch is already smarter than me stubbornly insisting they fight to the death.

Then again, a dead hero doesn't cost anything in stress reduction.
Heh... that's true.