Starstream Think Tank

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

As a diehard Rwby Fan. I can understand why what happened happened. (No spoilers)

They even upscaled the loser super hard giving her access to things she probably shouldn't have had access to and down scaling the winning by taking away some of her moves, didn't matter.

ShadowHounder

As a diehard Rwby Fan. I can understand why what happened happened. (No spoilers)

They even upscaled the loser super hard giving her access to things she probably shouldn't have had access to and down scaling the winning by taking away some of her moves, didn't matter.
I can't help but feel bad for Death Battle whenever they get blamed for company bias... Even though they actually hate it when a DC character wins a fight (like with Ben 10 vs Green Lantern) because they try their best to give a scientific result... But being semi owned by Warner Bros through the Rooster Teeth partnership makes certain results hard to give to the public.

Lyte

Yeah! I didn't care much about Watchdogs but Legion looks awesome! I've also been a big fan of Ubi for a long time, they put out good work and they actually stick with their games to make them better.
Eh... the watch dogs series was never appealing to me for various reasons. 1 was too unpolished and Aiden had no interest to me as a protagonist. With two I hear the gameplay was improved but the whole vibe of the game was off for me to never appeal. And now with Legion, it feels too much like a Saints Row game to me then it does anything else.

Lyte

One of Rwbys biggest flaws (and me and gem talked about this) is both power scaling (because what is a trainjng montage to show strength progression) and the way they treat auras and semblances so ofthandedly. MHA quirks are great because there is overlap but enough variety even in the same quirk family.

I am also a huge RWBY fan, but just... gah, I wish it was in better hands. There is a manga creater doing books for RWBY and it does things much better than M and K could ever do. Like... you know, make Ruby Rose a character, a leader, an interesting person to root for instead of the shows mascot

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

One of Rwbys biggest flaws (and me and gem talked about this) is both power scaling (because what is a trainjng montage to show strength progression) and the way they treat auras and semblances so ofthandedly. MHA quirks are great because there is overlap but enough variety even in the same quirk family.

I am also a huge RWBY fan, but just... gah, I wish it was in better hands. There is a manga creater doing books for RWBY and it does things much better than M and K could ever do. Like... you know, make Ruby Rose a character, a leader, an interesting person to root for instead of the shows mascot

I also don't understand... They treat it off handedly? What does that even mean?

And Ruby is an interesting character. I feel like a lot of the problems that people have with the show come from the fact that people can't read subtext and infer on a characters motivations. No they have to have everything shoved in their face so they can get it. Like people want media to show and not tell but then they just complain constantly that the isn't clear enough with it's message and want it to be explained simpler. It's just like... What?

But I've gotten into enough opinion fight this week so I'm going to shut up now.

Lyte

I also don't understand... They treat it off handedly? What does that even mean?

And Ruby is an interesting character. I feel like a lot of the problems that people have with the show come from the fact that people can't read subtext and infer on a characters motivations. No they have to have everything shoved in their face so they can get it. Like people want media to show and not tell but then they just complain constantly that the isn't clear enough with it's message and want it to be explained simpler. It's just like... What?

But I've gotten into enough opinion fight this week so I'm going to shut up now.
Its a matter of style over substance in this place. In which people dont know what they want. We want to be shown important moments that matter. Not stuff that doesnt contribute to the story. Also I understand Ruby. Its just that its not hard to understand her because the stuff we are given is shown is so shallow. Not getting into the silver eyes debate because I will never be swayed in that they have been handled so utterly horrendously. There is a perfect moment in the RWBY manga (btw it is a retelling, not the actual anthology manga. Which are good btw. Would recommend, they just dont add much to the story) is that Ruby explains to Weiss why she wants to be a Huntress. Now you may say she told Ozpin why she wanted to be a Huntress but no. She gave the summary. Ruby tells Weiss why. Which is her mother. She tells Weiss, a girl who has been mean to her nonstop about her mother. And it is a tender moment between the two that starts off their relationship. And this is during the forest challenge with the chess pieces. When Weiss gets attacked by the Ursas in the show, Ruby comes in and just defeats them all like nothing, but in the manga adaptation Weiss and Ruby struggle against them in a fight together, establishing teamwork. So, so many great character moments that dont even change many plot points but the fact they are there make the story ten times better Frost. Trust me, go give it a read, and you will be blown away.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Its a matter of style over substance in this place. In which people dont know what they want. We want to be shown important moments that matter. Not stuff that doesnt contribute to the story. Also I understand Ruby. Its just that its not hard to understand her because the stuff we are given is shown is so shallow. Not getting into the silver eyes debate because I will never be swayed in that they have been handled so utterly horrendously. There is a perfect moment in the RWBY manga (btw it is a retelling, not the actual anthology manga. Which are good btw. Would recommend, they just dont add much to the story) is that Ruby explains to Weiss why she wants to be a Huntress. Now you may say she told Ozpin why she wanted to be a Huntress but no. She gave the summary. Ruby tells Weiss why. Which is her mother. She tells Weiss, a girl who has been mean to her nonstop about her mother. And it is a tender moment between the two that starts off their relationship. And this is during the forest challenge with the chess pieces. When Weiss gets attacked by the Ursas in the show, Ruby comes in and just defeats them all like nothing, but in the manga adaptation Weiss and Ruby struggle against them in a fight together, establishing teamwork. So, so many great character moments that dont even change many plot points but the fact they are there make the story ten times better Frost. Trust me, go give it a read, and you will be blown away.

Wow. I haven't even read the Manga and I Kno that Ruby became a Huntress because of her Mother.

It's something that didn't need to be directly stated. It can be inferred by the constant shots to the grave in the first few seasons, when Ruby is unsure of her place in the world or what to do she goes to that grave, like at the end of Season 3. Not even mentioning the Yang Flashback when she was talking to Blake.

One thing I don't like about MHA and my only real complaint is their overreliance on flashbacks to put scenes in context that we had already figured out during that scene. It's like the show thinks it's main audience are amnesia patients. But I guess that's just how we do things these days, Directors need to treat their viewers like children or else someone might get confused!

DarkGemini24601

Persona/stand users are insane and even all else considered, I think they gave Weiss the ability to actually see the persona, which if she couldn't... fight over very quickly. Also was that Cinder's VA doing Mitsuru? If so she did a great job with my posh French weaboo.
I believe what Marine is getting at is that the power level of individual characters isn't clear. There's a disconnect between a lot of the earlier stuff where the main cast is trashing Grimm and moving like crazy (the Monty era) and the second trilogy where--while it's understandable that the animation isn't the same--the characters seem outright weaker compared to just about everyone they fight. When we do see them fight.

Volume 6 was a pretty significant improvement overall, but we didn't get much PvP other than the Adam fight which... dear god.
Alright, the Adam fight was pretty cool visually, but it was undercut by the absolute disaster of their treatment of his character. He went from being an extremist and a terrifyingly cold stalker to being an edgy, hot-tempered creep who only restored a bit of his threat capability in that fight. When he died I was thankful, because it meant they couldn't butcher the concept any further. He just became a vehicle for Bumblebee's development, which--as much as I don't mind it at all, I feel like I'm obliged to qualify--is a waste of one of the original characters of the show with such a badass skillset.

And at the power level he'd been originally established with, I'm not sure Yang and Blake should even have been able to win--he cut a robot in half and yet only scratched her arm, which seems inconsistent. They had to for the sake of the story M&K wanted to tell, and so they do, but that feels somewhat unearned.

They could have made the White Fang into a credible threat in its own right, but like a lot of things in RWBY, it feels like the writers didn't know what to do with it so they go from a V3 invasion force to a ragtag team that gets trashed in every appearance. Blake's "victory" over them in V5 feels hollow for that same reason.
So while there have been improvements it still feels like a patchwork of fixing mistakes slowly. I think now that we've tied up a lot of V3 loose ends the show is going to have a chance to either get really good or continue just be alright. Which is a shame if it happens. The reason why I think a lot of people stick with it despite its numerous flaws is that its premise has tremendous potential--its just struggling to be realized.

And while I won't get into the Vic thing either, I think it's fair to generally say that it dampened my enthusiasm that had been slowly creeping back during V6.
Ruby is an example of a character that has a lot of potential, as a paragon, a leader, someone with a dark past that's nevertheless cheery: doesn't all of that sound complex? It does, but M&K really aren't delivering on that as much as they could. They certainly did a better job of it in V6, but it shows that it was below that standard before unfortunately.
One thing I don't like about MHA and my only real complaint is their overreliance on flashbacks to put scenes in context that we had already figured out during that scene. It's like the show thinks it's main audience are amnesia patients. But I guess that's just how we do things these days, Directors need to treat their viewers like children or else someone might get confused!
Also yeah that is my one complaint about MHA so far, I skip along the video whenever they start showing flashbacks again. It might be a stylistic thing in fairness or a method to pad out episodes so they're the exact runtime the network asks for, but that doesn't make it less bothersome.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Persona/stand users are insane and even all else considered, I think they gave Weiss the ability to actually see the persona, which if she couldn't... fight over very quickly. Also was that Cinder's VA doing Mitsuru? If so she did a great job with my posh French weaboo.

I believe what Marine is getting at is that the power level of individual characters isn't clear. There's a disconnect between a lot of the earlier stuff where the main cast is trashing Grimm and moving like crazy (the Monty era) and the second trilogy where--while it's understandable that the animation isn't the same--the characters seem outright weaker compared to just about everyone they fight. When we do see them fight.

Volume 6 was a pretty significant improvement overall, but we didn't get much PvP other than the Adam fight which... dear god.
Alright, the Adam fight was pretty cool visually, but it was undercut by the absolute disaster of their treatment of his character. He went from being an extremist and a terrifyingly cold stalker to being an edgy, hot-tempered creep who only restored a bit of his threat capability in that fight. When he died I was thankful, because it meant they couldn't butcher the concept any further. He just became a vehicle for Bumblebee's development, which--as much as I don't mind it at all, I feel like I'm obliged to qualify--is a waste of one of the original characters of the show with such a badass skillset.

And at the power level he'd been originally established with, I'm not sure Yang and Blake should even have been able to win--he cut a robot in half and yet only scratched her arm, which seems inconsistent. They had to for the sake of the story M&K wanted to tell, and so they do, but that feels somewhat unearned.

They could have made the White Fang into a credible threat in its own right, but like a lot of things in RWBY, it feels like the writers didn't know what to do with it so they go from a V3 invasion force to a ragtag team that gets trashed in every appearance. Blake's "victory" over them in V5 feels hollow for that same reason.
So while there have been improvements it still feels like a patchwork of fixing mistakes slowly. I think now that we've tied up a lot of V3 loose ends the show is going to have a chance to either get really good or continue just be alright. Which is a shame if it happens. The reason why I think a lot of people stick with it despite its numerous flaws is that its premise has tremendous potential--its just struggling to be realized.

And while I won't get into the Vic thing either, I think it's fair to generally say that it dampened my enthusiasm that had been slowly creeping back during V6.

Ruby is an example of a character that has a lot of potential, as a paragon, a leader, someone with a dark past that's nevertheless cheery: doesn't all of that sound complex? It does, but M&K really aren't delivering on that as much as they could. They certainly did a better job of it in V6, but it shows that it was below that standard before unfortunately.

Also yeah that is my one complaint about MHA so far, I skip along the video whenever they start showing flashbacks again. It might be a stylistic thing in fairness or a method to pad out episodes so they're the exact runtime the network asks for, but that doesn't make it less bothersome.

I don't even know where to start with this.

I personally follow the show because I enjoy the characters, I enjoy how they work off of eachother, I enjoy the world building, and I enjoy the story. Are there problems, yes, of course, but I don't think it's anywhere close to as many as the hundreds of Rwby Debunkers and the vehemence hatetrain would have you believe.

And if you don't like it. Stop watching it so that the people who do like watching it can keep watching it instead of trying to change it and ruin it for them because you think you're right. You have an opinion. Plenty of people including myself think the show is excellent.

And honestly this is getting super spoilery so maybe stop? I know Zombie hasn't seen the show and I want to have him try it with an open mind.

As for your arguments I have heard them all so so so so many times from a hundred different people and they still make no sense.

About Adam, I really don't understand why people say they turned him into less of a threat, he literally murders the former leader of the white fang and sent assassins after Blake's family that nearly kill them. Yeah he doesn't one shot people like he used to but that's because they know what his semblance actually does now and they know how to work around it as seen in the Volume 6 fight, that's Character Growth. He didn't suddenly not become a threat, he's still as much threat as he was in Volume 3, they've just had three seasons to prepare for the rematch.

Ruby is a deep character with a lot of underlying pain that creeps up. She keeps her bright and happy demeanor up for the sake of her team and because she's the leader. But you can see throughout the entire series that there are many instances where that sadness breaks through her happy exterior, where she loses face for just a moment. The best example of this was in Volume 5, yes, the worst season according to critics, during her one on one chat with Oscar.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

RWBY would be better if it was just a six minute fight scene every week. Change my mind, protip you can't.

This is kinda why I don't know why I bother explaining the subtle character details and motivations because when people are already convinced something is bad they will color everything to fit that mold instead of taking an objective step back to actually form their own opinion. (Even though most of the arguments I hear are the same as the latest popular YouTuber's argument regurgitated at me with only slight changes.)