RimWorld: A Sci-Fi Dwarf Fortress-Like

BlueBead

I wanted to bring attention to a game that I've really enjoyed lately called RimWorld. From the front page of the RimWorld site...
"Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000."
If you've ever wanted to play Dwarf Fortress, but took one look at screenshots and were like "What are all these symbols? What do they mean? I don't have time to learn all this confound nonsense," then RimWorld might be for you.

RimWorld is still in Alpha and will come to Steam eventually. Even though it is still alpha, I think the game is very playable in its current state. Of course it has its kinks, but they haven't detracted much from my experience.

Here are some of my favorite features about the game:
  • In Depth Colonist Health: Health bars are not a thing in RimWorld. Your colonists can get limbs blown off, burns, scars, squirrel bites, infections, illnesses, brain trauma, and more. Missing limbs make them walk or work slower, damaged eyes can make them blind, brain damage makes them bad at pretty much everything, and more. You can even give them bionic limbs that are even better than normal limbs! Now if that's not awesome, I don't know what it.
  • Raids!: You're not just battling the elements. There are pirates, angry neanderthals, neutral factions that you can p*ss off or befriend, and perhaps the most dangerous; the mechanoids. Pirates will make their own camps and try to besige your colony. Neanderthals will throw themselves at you turrets in crazy numbers. Mechanoids crash in ships that emit a psychic drone that'll slowly drive your colonists crazy if you don't take the ship down. You're not defenseless though. You can make turrets, have body armor, and get your colonists equipped with a wide variety of things to ruin days with.
  • Personalities and Moods: Every colonist is a little bit different. They have different skills, passions, and personality traits. Some examples of personality traits are Pessimist: A permanent negative mood modifier. Optimist: Same as pessimist only positive. Prosthophile: Bionic limbs are freaking cool, and prosthrophiles are happy to have them. Nudist: Some people are just happy being naked. There are much more than that and even more coming in the next update. If your colonists are unhappy enough, they can snap and go crazy. So it's best to give your colonists nice rooms, tables to eat at, good food, and a clean environment.
If you like what you hear, keep your eye on the game and its development. The game may be considered a bit pricey at $30 or your regional equivalent, but when you buy it you get a personal URL to a pack of 5 downloads that you can share with your friends. The downloads refresh each update of the game. I still have 4 downloads remaining for Alpha 7c if anyone is really interested.
I think it's an amazing game that shouldn't be overlooked.

Grelite

I have played a bunch of Dwarf Fortress and seen RimWorld gameplay (PyrionFlax has a wonderful playthrough, narrating a story for it). I try to stay away from early-access games, but I will definitely keep an eye on its progress.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I heard of RimWorld but never really could stay with it long enough. (If you know me my mind tends to wander...) but I will be sure to check up on it if I can learn the mechanics well enough to stay on it.

BlueBead

I have played a bunch of Dwarf Fortress and seen RimWorld gameplay (PyrionFlax has a wonderful playthrough, narrating a story for it). I try to stay away from early-access games, but I will definitely keep an eye on its progress.
Oh man, I love PyrionFlax's narrated series. It's the Rebecca Cain Series in case anyone else reads this and wants to see it.