"No More Room in Hell" Think Tank

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Surprisingly, no. The last time I touched a soulsborn was good old Bloodborne. Managed to make it through the first enemy meant to kill you. I personally do dislike the difficulty (GODDAMN LEDGES IN ANY DARK SOULS ARE MY ETERNAL ENEMY) but it more stems from how (at least, how I feel) they don't really update it too much in terms of new gameplay mechanics and that the lore for the game you're playing is either hidden or is discoverable through items you might not be able to acquire. From a storytelling perspective, it makes sense that you'll understand what the world is like through the weapons, armor, and items that they use, but from a gameplay perspective, only completionists will truly be able to gather what's going on.

Tl;dr
Dislike the difficulty, the lack of innovative changes they make (exclusively to the dark souls series), and hiding most of the lore via items or vagueness.
I love Bloodborne, but yeah, the story was always my biggest gripe. I'm not asking for long, MGS length cutscenes, but a little more direct storytelling would be nice.

Bloodborne is great though. One of my favorite PS4 games. Out of curiosity, when you say the first enemy meant to kill you, what are you referring to? The Blood-Starved Beast?

Black0ut

I love Bloodborne, but yeah, the story was always my biggest gripe. I'm not asking for long, MGS length cutscenes, but a little more direct storytelling would be nice.

Bloodborne is great though. One of my favorite PS4 games. Out of curiosity, when you say the first enemy meant to kill you, what are you referring to? The Blood-Starved Beast?
Nah, the Scourge Beast in the clinic. Even though it's injured, you fight it with your fists, and it's attacks quickly mince you if you're not careful. All in all, it takes awhile to fight it and technically the uninitiated are meant to die to it. That sends you the Hunter's Dream... but I kept punching things... for awhile... until I was lit on fire... and died. Killed a lot before I died, though I couldn't handle groups. Only individuals alone.

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Nah, the Scourge Beast in the clinic. Even though it's injured, you fight it with your fists, and it's attacks quickly mince you if you're not careful. All in all, it takes awhile to fight it and technically the uninitiated are meant to die to it. That sends you the Hunter's Dream... but I kept punching things... for awhile... until I was lit on fire... and died. Killed a lot before I died, though I couldn't handle groups. Only individuals alone.

Frankly I have a love hate relationship with the series myself. Like. I love some of the bosses and the fights so much that I could die a thousand times and still not get pissed.

Oh the other hand... There are the other kind of fights...

Black0ut

So out of curiosity, who here is excited for war hammer three!
I AMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

But at the same time, I'm hesitant. I want this game to perform well and add onto what its predecessors did, but I'm nervous it may not turn out as well as I hope.

Dahlexpert

I AMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

But at the same time, I'm hesitant. I want this game to perform well and add onto what its predecessors did, but I'm nervous it may not turn out as well as I hope.
I’m sure it will, I mean we get chaos demons, then later on the oger kingdoms possible as dlc. That dlc I can’t wait for.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sorry for my extended absence... AGAIN. Was dealing with some personal crap, including a lot of physical pain. Back now.

DarkGemini24601

Bit of a necropost but w/e.
It snowed... in Arizona...

Like what the fuck? We're a goddamn desert, and I will acknowledge the north part of Arizona gets snow, but... Tucson? A forever no snow land? How?! More importantly... how?! How is it possible for non-north regions to get snow?! We don't get snow!

I've seen it snow in Monument Valley. Maybe I just took the wacky Texas weather with me.

From a storytelling perspective, it makes sense that you'll understand what the world is like through the weapons, armor, and items that they use, but from a gameplay perspective, only completionists will truly be able to gather what's going on.

Having played through the Dark Souls series now (no Demon Souls since I don't have a console), I can say that the storytelling method is a matter of preference, but it could be a lot worse. Mizayaki's philosophy is gameplay first, story second, and it shows with say, how tight the hitboxes in DS3 is (PvE, lagstabs aside) where you can do things like Abyss Watcher leap over enemy strikes. From never spent a lot of money on developing ingame story stuff like hiring more voice actors, animating lipsync, and so forth. I think as far as item-storytelling goes Dark Souls is one of the better examples. Compare it to a game series like Destiny, where the lore is also told through item descriptions - which rarely has anything to do with the game's actual story that is fully voice-lined and everything. Many of the items in Dark Souls actually have relevance to the plot, especially the boss weapons.

I will agree though, hiding something like the Sandworm's origins in DS3 (it chased the Carthus people to the catacombs and got stuck in Smouldering Lake) shouldn't be put on the yellow bug pellet lightning resist item of all things, even if it makes sense. People think to read weapon descriptions but not freaking minor consumables.

Anyway, I personally find the more mysterious, fill-in-the-blank storytelling of DS interesting. I don't think it's an objectively good or bad storytelling method, it's about how you use it, and I think it does a decent job.

It'll be interesting to see if Elden Ring has more conventional means of storytelling, or if it sticks to the DS format. From how Miyzaki has described the game's storytelling ambitions it would make sense if it were the former, if it's the latter I think that method might be misplaced in an RPG-style game.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Really struggling with the Dark Souls Remastered dlc. For some reason, my miracles don't do any decent damage to the bosses. Are they all really that resistant to lightning or are they just that strong. Guess I'll find out when I fight the dragon, consideringing most dragons are supposed to be weak to lightning.

So how is everyone?

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
So I had an idea for a future RP. Like, future future. Not for quite a while, after the current one and Terra Dolor 2 and anything you guys want to do. But I wanted to share it now while it was fresh in my mind. Tell me what you think.

Age 781. After the Tournament between Universes 6 and 7, Frost, the man once venerated as a hero of the people, a savior, was exposed as a fraud, a fiend who orcastrated the very crises and crimes he helped end.

He faded into obscurity for a short time after, before re-emerging for the Tournament of Power. While his team lost in the end, his universe, along with all the other ones, was sparred erasure. Frost learned much during the brief time fighting in that Null Space. He learned of potential enemies. He learned to be careful whom he trusts. Most importantly, he learned of the great potential he could have. He didn't need to gain power through underhanded means. He didn't need to rule by faith. He could rule on high, as galactic emperor... by power and fear.

The newly crowned Lord Frost set to work right away. Gathering an army of fighters, led by generals from like-minded individuals from his own people, Frost declared his rule over the people (after a spot of training to assure he had the strength to back up his words). His first order of business? His fights in the tournaments showed him how dangerous a certain group of people could be, and his universe had an entire planet of them. If blowing up their planet worked for his universe 7 counterpart, it would work for Frost.

Planet Sadal was destroyed with no chance to defend itself, its survivors scattered. Planet after planet falls to the Frost Force every day, and their army grows ever stronger. There is no word from those that defended Universe 6 during the Tournament, them all either in hiding, not caring... or dead. And no one can contact the God of Destruction Chappa, assuming he'd even help.

A resistance is forming, however. Not all of the universe's most powerful warriors has joined Frost's side. A small band of freedom fighters has formed, hidden away on Earth, which was only recently restored to life by mysterious means and thus unknown by Frost and his men.

Take the fight to the Frost Force in exciting missions that show off a stunning spectacle of Martial Arts prowess! Create your own character to fight this war, choosing from any known race of people or making your own! Customize them with flashy moves, ki attacks, and magic pulled from the original source, or make up your own moves and their effects! Work together in collaborative stories with the fate of the galaxy, if not the entire known universe, hanging in the balance! And join me as I carefully and meticulously define and explain the universe and its mechanics for anyone who has only a passing amount of knowledge!

It's Dragon Ball: Battle for Universe 6!