RP XCOM: The Story of Defiance.

Dahlexpert

Part 2

Jessica eye's widened. "Uh... I, uh... I..." she stammered. "I g-guess they were. I-I was never one to flaunt, of course."

Ashley looked up at Jessica and saw her trembling a bit. "Sigh, good lord. You, young woman, get embarrassed so easily. Are you unconformable with me touching your breast."

"U-um... a little bit, yes..." Jessica smiled nervously. "I-I... the only other woman to ever do that was... um..."

"I just thought that since you're nineteen, you would have experimented a little bit. But if the only person that touched your breast was a doctor, my bad."

Jessica shook her head. "It's okay, I'm used to it. I, uh... I was actually talking about my mother. She likes to tease me by doing the same thing." Her eyes darted down. "Can... c-can you let me go now?"

Ashley let go of Jessica's breast. "Right, sorry about that. But I'm just surprise that some one your age never experimented even a little. But it's your life and you can do whatever you want. I'm just surprised is all."

"W-what do you mean, experiment?" Jessica's face turned even redder, and she shyly tapped her fingers together. "Y... you mean, like... with another girl..."

"Yes. You've never been with another woman before?"

Jessica quickly shook her head. "No... I mean, not that there is anything wrong with that. But I've never been... that intimate with anyone, except for Modya..." Jessica clasped her hands over her mouth, realizing she might have said too much.

Ashley's eyes started to gleam. "Ah young love, the fruits of the heart. It's adorable to see that you found someone that cares for you in a middle of this war. Plus, every one needs some loving, just as long as you use protection. We already have two kids running around X-COM, we don't need a third."

Jessica nodded bashfully. "We... we're being careful. Though, he isn't here right now. He went to India." The young scientist sighed. "It's been lonely without him."

Ashley started to laugh hysterically. "Oh man, your in the honeymoon stage. How cute. It reminds me when my wife waited for me when I went on bounty missions. But that's what happens when you date a solder."

Jessica raised an eyebrow. "Your... your wife? But... aren't you... you're married to another woman?"

"Yes, I'm married to another woman, you got a problem with that?"

Jessica shuffled her hands back and forth in a panic. "No, no, of course not. It just caught me off guard. I-I'm sorry, I don't get out much. Thought it makes a little more sense why you were asking if I had been with another woman."

"I was asking if you've been with another woman out of curiosity. I just thought that someone so young would have at least been with at least one woman. I also have a kid."

"I see. How old is she?"

"She's fve and currently something of a body guard of the Commander's daughter. Here's a picture of her." Ashley showed Jessica a photo of Cassia.

"She's so cute." Jessica's eyes darted back and forth. "You, uh... you're gonna have her wait until she experiments with another girl, right? Because I'm sure the Commander might be a little upset otherwise."

"Heh Heh. My child is more concerned with her drawings and trying to be like me to worry about that sort of things. True she acts like a tomboy. She loves guns, comic books, super heroes, and hunting. I swear all she want's to do is just be herself, she never was a grily girl. She never liked dresses or princess or any of that crap."

"And when she comes to age, she can date whoever she want's to, whether it be man or woman. As long as she doesn't date criminals or becomes one than I'm fine what she does. With in legal reasons, of course."

"Of course." Jessica smiled, and glanced at Eva. Hitting a few keys on the keyboard, she said, "Why don't we talk a little more over lunch some time? I need a little time off of work anyway."

"I would like that. Hell I might bring Cassia along so you can meet her." Ashley glanced at the clock. "Whelp, I better get back to checking our medical supplies. Were going through them very fast, it was nice meeting you Jessica."

Jessica smiled and waved a bit as Ashley left. She slowly looked down at her chest. Blushing a bit, she turned back to her computer, trying to work the embarrassment away.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Father Figure

Alone in her own world, alone with her work, Sunny stared intently at her computer screen, the soft glow of the screen projecting her silhouette across the dimly lit room. To her left and right were an Indian and a Russian tank, both outfitted with alien alloys in their most vulnerable locations.

A tingly sense ran up Sunny's spine, and she could sense that she wasn't alone. Slowly turning her head, she noted the shadowing figure at the end of the room. With a few more keystrokes, carefully done showing no signs of distress, she supplied power to the laser turrets on the tanks. She quickly turned her chair, staring at the shadow, and the turrets turned to point where her gaze ended. "Who's there!?"

"Whoa, easy." A tall man with an unshaven face and brooding eyes stepped out of the shadows, his eyes darting between Sunny and the tanks. "Neat trick, though."

Sunny blinked several times, as though to make sure her eyes were working right. The turrets powered down, and Sunny titled her head. "Zero? What are you doing here?"

"On assignment... sort of. Heard you were off that base, and came to say hi." The man smiled, and approached Sunny. "You look well."

"Well, you don't." Sunny sighed, rubbing her brow. "You promised me you'd take care of yourself. H-how you got along when I wasn't around, I'll never know."

Zero's smile broadened. "You've changed a lot in the few months you've been gone."

"Have I?" Sunny looked herself up and down. "For the better, I hope."

"For the better." Zero sat in a chair next to the young scientist. "You're not stuttering as much. I've heard you talking to strangers without cowering. Even you posture is better, as if the sadness you carried has been lifted somewhat."

"Well, to be honest, a lot of that came from new implants," Sunny responded, tapping her head. "I-I kinda... burnt myself out."

Zero frowned. "And you were telling me to take care of myself." He shook his head, something obviously on his mind.

"What is it?" Sunny asked. "You... you're here for more then just saying hi."

"Why... why are you here?" Zero looked at her intently. "Why did they send you to a battle front?"

"I agreed to it," Sunny insisted. "I wanted to help with..."

"It was bad enough that they have you doing so much in X-COM." Zero got up, and started pacing the room. "I know how much you do there. But now this?"

Sunny shook her head. She knew it was pointless asking where he got his information. Instead, she said, "You don't need to worry about me that much. It isn't your job right now. I have other people to..."

"Of course it's my job. I need to make sure you don't endanger yourself." Zero bit his lip. "They obviously don't. A battle front is no place for an eleven year..."

"I'm twelve now," Sunny interrupted, folding her arms and looking away. "Just because I don't celebrate my birthday doesn't mean you shouldn't remember when it is." Zero sighed, and pulled a small box out of his pocket, offering it to Sunny. "What's this?"

"Just because you don't celebrate your birthday doesn't mean you shouldn't recognize a present."

Sunny slowly opened the box, and pulled out a silver pendant, in the shape of a heart. She looked at the flat back, and read the Russian words, slowly translating them out loud in English. "To my... love, my heart, the sunshine of my life..." Sunny raised an eyebrow at Zero. "This doesn't seem like something you'd get me."

"Not from me." Zero smiled. "It's from your mother."

"I... I don't..."

"Took me a while to get it restored." Zero nervously rubbed the back of his neck. "It was in terrible condition, and it was custom made, so I tracked down the original creator. Then there was getting the money to restore it."

"I don't understand." Sunny looked at Zero with watery eyes. "Is this... really from my mother, or are you just... where did you get this?"

The tall man scratched his chin. "Despite the way your captives blackmailed her into working for them, they still payed her well. She didn't spent the money, though, not on anything but the bare needs. But she still had the occasional dip in her bank account. When I heard about that, I asked the guys who went through her burnt- down apartment."

"Turns out, she'd been buying you presents from the day you were born. Toys, books, clothes, jewelry, all in the hope that she'd find you and be able to give it to you some day. Most of it was destroyed, but I found that in the evidence hold a while ago. I was going to give it to you as is, but I thought it would be better if I cleaned it up. It's a bit bigger then it was because it was reconstructed over the one one your mother had made for you."

Sunny stared down at the pendant, reading the words on the back over and over again as tears streamed down her face. Several times, she tried to speak, but couldn't form the words. Finally, she gave in, and sobbed loudly. Zero rushed forward, and wrapped his arms around the crying child.

"Sunny," he whispered as she squeezed him. "I can... I can never be your father. Not after what I did."

"W-we... we..." Sunny said between sobs. "W-we've already... talked..."

"Let me finish." Zero pulled back, and looked into Sunny's eyes. "I'm not the father type. Not one to go on picnics and eat ice cream. Not one to scare boys that hit on you. Not one to come home after work and talk about my day." He chuckled. "Most of the time, I'm not allowed to talk about my work."

"But just because I can't be your father, doesn't mean I can't look after you like a father. It doesn't mean I can't worry about you like a father. And it doesn't mean I can't love you like a father."

Sunny nodded slowly, putting on a smile as she wiped away her tears. She looked down at the pendant, then back at Zero. "Thank you, Dave. This is... thank you."

With a nod, Zero stood up. Lightly rubbing her head, he said, "Gotta go. But I'll be seeing you. Maybe sooner then you think."

At the sound of the door opening, Sunny turned to see Ayame walk in with a couple of wrapped sandwiches. "Hey, squirt, watch ya doing?"

Sunny looked back to where Zero was, knowing he would have disappeared but wanting to be sure. "I'm just... taking a break."

"Good, you're learning." The Asian woman handed her a sandwich, and nodded her head towards the pendant. "Cool necklace. Where'd ya get it?"

"From..." Sunny whispered to herself. "From m-my father."

"What was that?"

Sunny shook her head. "Long story, I'll tell you later."

Ayame nudged the short engineer in the arm. "Come on, tell me now. I'm not going any where."

Sunny smiled. "Well... when I was born..."

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

"Unveiling Curtains" - Atka Ipiktok and Modya Dragomirov

Staging Ground, near New Delhi, India
1100 Hours, Local Time
Training Area

"Alright, that should be enough for today," Atka said to the Indian and Russian soldiers. "Well done, all of you."

The infantry troops dispersed, and the Inuit scout sighed in relief. Training them with laser weapons wasn't that hard: they were easier to aim, and lacked recoil, but not only could they overheat...Atka had little experience training soldiers. She quietly thanked her old drill sergeant for a model to follow, and returned to the temporary barracks set up in the encampment. Sitting around a wooden table was her squad, though Ayame was not there at the moment.

"I have to say, I'm enjoying the fresh air," Janina said warmly. "I see why you enjoyed being in Shangahai."

"Being stuck in a base sucks," Kevin responded. "Though I do have spider senses now..."

"I believe it is called Bioelectric Skin, Nash," Kris said with a shake of his head.

"The idea's the same, though. I can sense enemies, and react before they attack me," the assault replied with a grin.

"And you're from New York City, too," Atka added with a chuckle. "I believe we may have a Peter Parker in our ranks."

"Let's see...spider senses, the ability to jump distances normal humans can't...all I need is a gene mod that lets me shoot webs," Kevin said thoughtfully.

"I do not believe they can do that," Sarah countered, looking up from a book she was reading. Her brown eyes were now more hazel than before, a side effect of her Depth Perception.

Atka looked over her squad. With Kevin having Smart Macrophages, Muscle Fiber Density, and now Bioelectric Skin, Sarah Depth Perception and the same leg enhancement... She sighed. That, added to the Modified Bicep Structure of her Infantry and Gunner, as well as Hyper-Reactive Pupils and a "Reaction Time Overclocker", respectively, she had been forced to re-evaluate how she viewed gene mods. The Inuit woman still had no desire to have alien DNA spliced with hers, but not all of it was like that. The Aerobic Respiration Boost merely increased lung capacity and the number of red blood cells, as if one were at a higher elevation. The eye modifications increased aim, and none of those 3 genetic modifications came from alien DNA. Rather, they were medical enhancements created with the MELD's help.

Lieutenant Ipiktok looked down at the faint scar on her arm, visible with the short sleeves on her exercise shirt. And the MELD saved my life. As long as its not alien DNA, I don't object to it being used to make me for effective for the sake of my comrades. The scout looked over at Kris. Despite her reservations about the cybernetic enhancements, considering what little she knew of Sunny's past...she understood his reasons. The gunner had told Atka he was feeling slower as he got older, and had sustained a head wound from falling machinery in his time in the Australian navy. Thus, he improved himself by increasing his reactions times. That, I can understand. As for Kevin... she smiled. We all know he's just nuts.

Colonel Volkova nodded in approval, reading the report on the status of the preparations. That Lieutenant is effective, I'll give her that. They don't know Modya like I do, but at least they're competent. "Nikolai, I'm leaving you in charge for awhile," the officer said to her second.

"Understood," he responded, having an idea of where Galena was going.

Galena headed to the makeshift mess, a sizeable bottle of vodka in hand. "Anyone willing to challenge me in a drinking contest?" she said, most to her fellow Russians. Used to her doing such in a good mood, several nodded, willing to challenge the officer. Some Indian troops tried their hand. After several shots, though, it was clear only the Russians had true mastery of the drink. The numbers thinned until only the silvery-blonde officer and a man in a black ushanka remained.

The other Russian spoke up in their language. "We should probably call it a draw before one of us passes out," he suggested.

"Oh, fine, you cowardly-" Galena stopped, taking a better look at her challenger. "Bastard..."

Modya smiled weakly. "Am I not allowed to have a friendly drinking contest with you?"

Colonel Volkova grabbed him by the collar of the shirt. "You sure have guts doing so..." She sighed. "Good, maybe there's hope for you after all."

That's as much of an apology as I think I'll get from her...

Galena let go of him, and shook her head. "And for your information, I could have gone at least 3 more shots."

"I don't doubt it," Modya replied to the soldier who had earned the very nickname of 'Vodka.'

DarkGemini24601

Frostlich1228 and DarkGemini24601: “Ulterior Motives”

New York City, United States of America
2100 Hours, June 25th, 2018
Cross Technologies Tower

Emma and her clone troopers got out of the helicopters, as two cargo ships unloaded the spoils from the successful raid on the ‘supply’ ship. Although there was not an abundance of elerium or alien alloys, there was plenty of weapon fragments and bodies. Most notably, there were three captives: a Sectoid, Floater, and Sectoid Commander that the EXALT troops carefully unloaded. Three Legions were responsible for carrying the aliens, while three more robots stood by to hit them with an electroshock should they move.

“Legion, take them up to the small holding containers in my laboratory,” the shadow operative requested. “Make sure the rest of the materials get to Mr. Cross’s engineering team. As the automatons collectively nodded, Emma added, “and those of you that are damaged, once you get the materials there, shut down for repairs.”

The robot collective intelligence known as Legion affirmed these commands, having the damaged frames transport supplies after they would store the alien subjects. Emma waved off the Adam clones. “The rest of you, get some rest. Good work.” She headed up to her lab, having Alejo bring her some coffee. By the time he had it brewed, Emma had put away her weapons, though she had yet to remove her armor. The coffee was more important to her, and she drank gratefully

Dorian stood watch outside the lab, scanning the room vigilantly. Once he saw Emma his eyes locked onto her and didn’t stray.

Emma looked over at the bodyguard. “Is there something you need?” she asked calmly.

Dorian kept staring, but replied with a cold “No…”

The scientist raised an eyebrow. “Very well, then,” she said, and took another sip of the hot coffee.

“You captured some of them?” Dorian asked flatly.

Emma nodded. “Though in doing so for this one,” she pointed at the sedated Sectoid Commander, “I went through something I’d prefer never to experience again. They have the ability to take control of someone’s mind, and if it weren’t for Avanix, I might have been used like a puppet to break the temporary alliance XCOM and ‘Legion’ forged.”

“Hmm…” He nodded, “Can you contain it?”

“With the proper drugs and a good degree of caution, yes. I’m going to use a side room to keep him out of range of humans, and have one of the Legions guard him around the clock. Ideally, I can use this one to learn what it is that allows for ‘psionics’ to be present in an individual,” Emma explained.

“Does David know?” Dorian asked in the same voice, still keeping his gaze on Emma.

“We just returned. I’ll inform him shortly,” Emma responded, seeming a bit more nervous that before. “Like I said, I can contain them.”

Dorian scanned all the machinery in the room and looked back at Emma. “I appreciate what you’re doing for David…”

“Our partnership is mutually beneficial,” Emma said, explaining further, “He has access to the technology we produce, and we have a place to do so.”

“For his Daughter…” Dorian added.

“Ah,” Emma began. “She was a close friend of our mother’s. I believe Elene wishes to meet her in the future, as well. The genetic repair sequences are nearly finished, we just need to finalize them and run some simulations to make sure they work. All of the research we did into genetic modification for the eyes...as well as what Lusett already did…” she pointed to her eyes. “I believe it was intended to help Ammelia someday, and we can soon put that to the use mother wanted.”

“ I never trusted her…” Dorian said bluntly. “Always seemed to have some other motive…”

Emma shrugged. “Who can say for sure? We never did meet her,” she explained. “Does that distrust extend to us?”

“It… did… But you’ve shown me you can be trusted, for now…” Dorian pulled a broken pocket watch from his right pocket and swung it slowly in a pendulum motion in front of him.

The clone watched it curiously. “What is that?”

“A watch…”

“I am aware of that. I was wondering as to its significance.”

“It was a gift… From my Brother…” He answered.

“I see…” Emma said, unsure as of how to respond.

“My brother loved watches...” Dorian continued.

“So it is important to you?”

“It is…” he replied, continuing to swing the watch.

Emma turned back to her computer, bringing up the data on what her forces recovered. “Diego, see to it that the drones Legion shocked are converted into the offensive model.”

Dorian lifted the watch back into his pocket, “Offensive model?”

“Something Lily came up with,” Emma answered. “Unfortunately, until now only Viktor has had functioning ones, but we’ve been working on two, and now we can build four more with the intact drones. Essentially, the alien drones are repair units that support robotic troops and pilot ships. We modify them to be faster, more maneuverable, and more weaponized. We’ve managed to keep the repair beam, but instead of the energy blast…”

Emma brought up the schematics. “We add a central laser equivalent of a heavy laser rifle, and two small pistol-like blasters on the wings. I would enjoy getting the cyberdisc to work for us...but its programming has been more difficult to figure out. That said, we’ve made good progress into making our first MEC with the Mechtoid we salvaged from Australia.”

“Perhaps the Drone could benefit from a cloaking system…” Dorian suggested, “It would not only let it strike from the shadows but also repair while undetected…”

Emma nodded. “I’ve been looking to Avanix and Lily for help on that, and I figure David would show interest in it as well. The Seeker’s systems are complex, though...if I were to guess, I would say they’re a recent creation. The fact that they haven’t found a solution for energy-distortions revealing them suggests such.”

“Perhaps we should take one apart then… Stealth is a powerful tool in the right hands…” Dorian walked up behind her, looking at the data on the computer.

“We could, I surmise focusing on stealth technology now might be helpful. We have the MEC technology and genetic modification to the best it will be for awhile, so I will turn my attention towards that. Although XCOM has some sort of rail-accelerated weaponry now, and powered armor...we cannot hope to replicate something like that immediately. I will leave that to Elene to focus on.”

“I’ll head up and inform David about this then… He’s been working on a way to give Ammelia an edge in the battlefield. Perhaps you two could trade notes.” Dorian responded.

“Understood,” Emma returned. “And once the final tweaks and tests are in for the genetic repairs, I’ll submit them to David so he might pass off that information to XCOM, and help his daughter.”

“Good.” Dorian said turning towards the door, “Perhaps I should place more trust in you. Try not to make me regret it.” Dorian said with a grim tone.

“Of course,” Emma responded. When Dorian has left, she thought to herself for a moment. “Lusett having ulterior motives. Not much of a surprise, as there are facets to what Elene does, as well,” she said quietly to herself. “Not that they should be of any concern to Mr. Cross or his aides.”

DarkGemini24601

ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “Vozlyublennaya”

XCOM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
2300 Hours, June 26th, 2018
The Barracks

Jessica pushed open the door to her room like it weighed a thousand pounds. She had gotten used to the odd looks she got, currently having a room alone in the soldier barracks despite being a lab tech, so she pretty much ignored everyone she had passed in the halls. Incredibly tired, but still with a lot on her mind, she wandered over to her computer, wondering if she should call her mother for advice, or see if Ayame was available.

On the screen of her computer, there was an incoming request from India. “Oh.” Jessica smiled sleepily. “Looks like she’s calling me.” Jessica hit enter, and waited for the computer to connect.

Modya appeared on the screen. “Hey, Jess,” he said, and looked at her with a hint of worry.

“M-Modya!” The you lab tech reached up in a desperate attempt to fix her messy hair. “Oh, God, I’m a mess, I… how are you? A-are you okay?”

“I have been good. Things are busy here, but we have not gone into combat yet. The Indian and Russian troops are just about ready. Is something the matter on your end? You look like you have been…” Modya trailed off.

“I-I’m fine, don’t worry about me, I’m…” Jessica took a deep breath, realizing her words didn’t match her franticness. “I’ve just been keeping busy. We’ve had quite a few more soldiers getting gene mods, and I haven’t had much to do besides work.”

“Well, do not push yourself too hard. You do not have to work constantly,” Modya responded.

“I know, I-I’m sorry, I don’t… don’t want to worry you. It’s just been…” Jessica looked down, blushing slightly. “It’s just been lonely, you know.”

Modya smiled. “Do not think you are the only one. I do miss you…”

Jessica nodded slowly. “I… guess I’m being childish. I’ve never been close enough to someone to feel this lonely when they were gone.”

“I do not think you are being unreasonable…” Modya replied. “Besides, isn’t being childish Alexia’s job?”

Jessica snickered a bit. She looked up at Modya, and said, “She’s been a bit edgy.” She frowned. “Especially after she heard about… what happened when you got there.”

Modya sighed, having hoped that she would not have heard, even if it was in vain. “Galena is not as bad as people may have made her out to be...she resents me for not joining the military with her, which we had planned to do since we were kids...I understand why she is still upset. She isn’t unreasonable, though, and I think I at least took a step towards mending things yesterday.”

“That’s... good,” Jessica answered a little apprehensively. “Do you… mind if I ask why you didn’t join the military when she did? If you two had planned it for so long, what stopped you?”

Modya looked down. “At the time...I was scared of ending up dead. You know how when you are young, you feel as if you are invincible? As I lost that feeling...I started to think I did not want to take up a profession that was going to be as risky as being a soldier.”

“And she resented you for that, huh?”

“She did. It was her dream too, and she wasn’t as fearful about the future as I was. Galena lives for the present, and she is a lot braver than I am. I just...couldn’t do something like this then, and she could. We drifted apart, and eventually she had enough and left when we graduated from college,” Modya explained.

Jessica listened intently with an obvious interest in her eyes. “Tell me about her. What is she like? Or, at least, what was she like when you were close.”

“She was...lively, you could say. Strong-willed, brash, but certainly not unkind. I knew her since we were nine, but we only realized how we felt when we were 15. From what I can tell, she still has that personality, though being an officer has made her more restrained...to an extent. Yesterday I managed to mend things by joining in the drinking contest she held impromptu. Hasn’t changed that much, I think.”

Jessica smiled softly. “She seems really special. I can see why you liked her.” She rubbed her wrists nervously, but her voice stayed firm. “So, did you get a chance to talk to her while you were drinking. Talking that didn’t involve her yelling at you?”

“Just a little. Apparently having the guts to face her after she yelled at me was enough for her to push away her doubt in me...for now at least.” Modya looked at Jessie seriously. “No matter what happens, I am not giving up what I have now, Jess.”

Jessie’s eyes darted back and forth. “What… what if you found out she still had feelings for you. I-I mean, you said you’ve know her since you were children. That doesn’t just go away. And… she seems like quite the catch. She’s independant, she has a career in the same field as you, she can hold her liquor, and she’s your age.” Jessica looked down at her wrists, and forced herself to stop rubbing them. Giving Modya an honest look, she asked, “Who am I to stand in the way of that? Just some… fling, really.”

Modya clenched a fist. “You’re wrong...she lost her chance a long time ago, and I sincerely doubt she wants to try again. Even if she does...do you really think what we have means nothing? I may have known her for longer...but none of those other things really matter to me. I can count on you to be safe while I am out here fighting...and I have never….never been as intimate with a woman as I have with you. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I just discarded you...what we have is too important to throw away.”

Jessica gave him a look of surprise. A smile quickly spread across her face, and she wiped away a tear. “Th… thank you Modya. You don’t know how much that means to me.”

Modya’s smile slowly returned. “I just don’t want you thinking that because I leave for awhile that I would waver in how I feel about you, vozlyublennaya.”

Jessica nodded, blushing slightly. “I know. I’ll remember that. And when you get back, I’ll make sure you feel better then ever, lyubovnik.” Her face reddened more, realizing what she had just implied.

Modya raised an eyebrow. “And I will be back, don’t you worry. I have everyone here with me, and with the Russian tank corps here...I think we’ll have these ‘in the bag’.”

“Then I’ll be waiting.” Jessica looked at the clock, and sighed. “I… better get ready for bed. Some of the soldiers come out of the genetics lab tomorrow.”

“Have a good night. I’ll be thinking of you,” Modya said gently.

Jessica reluctantly ended the call. She stood up and stretched, suddenly feeling like a weight was off her shoulders. With a slight skip to her step, she quickly grabbed some clothes to change into, and took off to the showers.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Unusual Tours

"Hmm..." Alexia stared through a microscope, watching the gradual changes in the Meld and quickly writing her findings down. She smiled as she looked down at her work, proud that she was proving to be useful, if not to the degree that Jessica was, then at least enough to make a difference. Brains had always been Jessica's department, but after years of helping her sister remember things, Alexia was surprised to find how much she had retained herself.

She felt a tugging on her sleeve. "What?" She turned to see who was bugging her, and had to tilt her head down to see the offending party. "Can I... help you, kid?"

"Um... I don't know." The blond child looked between Alexia and her escort. "I... I wanted to look around."

Alexia looked at the soldier. "What is she talking about?"

The soldier shrugged. "Her mother was telling her about the various things we have on base, and when she heard about the gene-lab, she asked if she could look around. I don't know why the Commander would agree to it, but orders are orders."

"Commander?" Alexia raised an eyebrow, looking down at the girl before her. "So you're Brigid O'Brien?"

"That's me! I wanted to see where all the super people are made."

Alexia thought for a moment, then shrugged. "Whatever. I was a little bored anyway."

"Yay!" Brigid looked back at the guard and asked, "Can me and the green-hair lady go alone?" The guard simply smiled and nodded, stepping out of the room.

"Great, babysitting... no offense." Alexia extended her hand. "I'm Alex."

"But... that's a boy's name..." Brigid took the lab tech's hand with a look of confusion.

Alexia chuckled. "It's short for Alexia." She stood up, still grasping her young guest's hand. "Come, cutey, let's look around."

As the two walked towards the back of the lab, Brigid looked up and said, "Thank you for helping me before. And thanks for not telling my mommy. She would have been mad."

"Uh... sure, kid, no problem." Alexia grinned. This must have been that kid Jessica mentioned. She had no idea it was the Commander's daughter. The pair walked into one of the rooms, and Alexia waved her hand towards the pods. "This is where the magic happens, Brigid."

"Woooow!" Brigid ran ahead, pressing up against one of the pods filled with orange liquid. "Who's that?"

Alexia hit a few keys on the nearby computer. "Um... her name's Eve. Wow, she's getting loaded up."

"How does it work?" The little Irish girl bobbed her head around, trying to see into the pod better.

"Most of it is injection based," Alexia answered, walking up next to the curious child. "They get a shot in the appropriate place, usually several, in fact." Alexia reached down and lift Brigid up, placing the light child on her shoulders so she could see the tracks on the ceiling. "Anyone who needs surgery sits in the pods for a bit, soaking up juices like a Thanksgiving turkey, then the tracks are used to move them to a side room so we can give them their proper stuffing. And the orange stuff makes it all possible."

"How?" Brigid looked down, her face alight with childhood curiosity.

"Not sure about everything, to be honest." Alexia shrugged lightly, not wanting to drop Brigid. "My sister would know better. From what I understand, it just makes everything mix together easier. It's like something out a comic book."

"Like, um... g-gamma rays?"

"Exactly." Alexia put Brigid down and knelt in front of her, a big smile on her face. "And just like with the gamma rays, we can give the soldiers super powers!"

"Really?" Brigid asked, her eyes wide with wonder. "Like flying, and laser eyes?"

"Haven't figured those ones out yet, but we can give them all sorts of neat things. Now we have soldiers with eagle vision, and ones that can jump to the top of buildings, and lift heavy guns like they were toys. We even got ones that can sense when aliens are close."

"Like Spiderman?"

"Just like him." Alexia smiled widely, having more fun with Brigid then she had expected to.

"You're..." Brigid gave a somewhat suspicious look. "You're not teasing me, right?"

Alexia shook her head. "Not at all. It's all true. To be honest, I almost wish I could try it out."

"What about me?" Brigid bounced up and down a bit. "Can I get the super powers?"

Alexia's eyes flashed violet, and she laughed. "Give you some gene-mods? Sorry, kid, that's a no go."

"Why not?" Brigid frowned.

Alexia thought of the best way to put Brigid down. "Because, um... because only the people who fight the aliens can get them. And you don't want to worry your mom by going to fight the aliens, right?'

Brigid considered that for a moment, then reluctantly said, "No, I guess not." She smiled again, and said, "Maybe when I'm bigger, I can?"

"Maybe, kiddo." Alexia grasped Brigid's hand again. "Anyway, I should be getting back to work."

"Oh." Brigid pouted a bit. "Do you... can you come eat lunch with me?"

Alexia's eyes flashed violet again. She frowned, holding her stomach and saying, "I am pretty hungry, but my shift doesn't end for another thirty minutes." She glanced over at her supervisor. "I could ask if I could skip out early. But my boss is kinda strict, so I doubt..."

"Excuse me?" Brigid waved at the man Alexia was looking towards. "Can Alex go to lunch with me?"

The supervisor smiled, his hazel eyes flashing purple. "Alex can go to lunch with you."

Alexia raised an eyebrow. "Well, that was easy. Oh well, better not look a gift horse in the mouth." She lifted Brigid up, and the two exited the lab, chatting about the different super powers they would like to have.

Last edited:

Adrammalech

// MEMORY: CHANGES //
Emily Fischer, 14
Port of Bremerhaven
Bremerhaven, Germany
October 16, 2005 – 5:52 PM

I sit quietly, looking on at brilliant hues of purple and orange lancing through the clouds. The gusts of wind blew the hair across my face, frizzy and long from months of neglect. I smiled as Kieran’s hand scooted along the handrail, nervously passing over a couple of my fingers.

“It’s beautiful,” I sighed.

“As always,” he said, looking at me, thinking I’m not noticing.

I twirled around and leaned against the railing, causing him to look back towards the sunset. I looked at the harbor before me, white-washed walls and wooden floors, crates and containers being shuffled around slowly by hundreds of crewmen and dockworkers. There was almost no one on deck, everyone either on break or on shore. One of the rusty silver-colored cranes on the ship loucly dropped onto a box, pulling it up and tugging it towards the dock.

“I have something to show you,” he said.

“What is it?”

He gestured to me and took off running throughout the ship again, not a care for anyone who might see him. As we got below deck, we reached a corridor with sets of vents, some of them still humming. He pat his pockets and then looked to me.

“Do you have a coin or something?”

“Nope,” I said with a shrug.

He looked up briefly, and then back at me.

“What about your necklace?”

“This?” I say, pulling the triangular sliver of metal out from under my shirt. “What do you need it for?”

“Just need to use it for a sec.”

I take the necklace off and stare at for a moment, handing it to him a little nervously. He takes the tip of the triangle and slips it beneath the side of the vent cover. A loud clang comes from behind it.

“Perfect fit,” he mumbled.

He did the same to the bottom, and then jumps up to do the top. He hands me the necklace back a little scratched and pulls the cover sideways, the huge latticed vent creaking as it opened.

“Ladies first,” he smiled.

I hopped into the massive vent, not even needing to duck to fit in. We quietly went through the vent, taking a turn and crawling through a still fan. It finally opened up into a large gray box, almost as big as an actual room. A small yellowed light sat in the corner, overridden by the light filtering through the vents. The bed and many other things from Kieran’s spot had somehow been moved into here.

“What’s this?” I asked.

“This vent used to be an emergency smoke remover, when the kitchen was on the other side. A few months ago, they moved it all down a floor, and this is just empty space.”

“But…why’s all your stuff here? I thought you had permission to be where you were.”

“Because it’s your home now,” he replied, “I told the captain I’d be off next port, and we’re here, but I get the feeling you’re not done exploring yet. So consider it a kickstart to wherever your adventure’s headed.”

“Y-you don’t have to leave.”

I lunged forwards and pulled him down a bit, kissing him forcefully on his lips. He looked surprised as I held him still for a few moments, relishing my first kiss, no matter how awkward.

“You could stay here too,” I said pleadingly, “or I could go with you, I–”

“I’d like that…but I think I’m done with sailing, for a while at least. Germany’s a big place, maybe I can get a new start here.”

“But…I like you.”

“I like you too,” he said firmly. “But people like us, we’re loners at heart. We’ve seen what happens when we depend on other people. Even family…even people we like.”

“Yeah…”

“You’re free to do whatever you want now, wherever this thing takes you, and I know you’ll be alright. And if you ever loop back around here, maybe we’ll meet again, hm?”

“We better,” I say with a faint sniffle.

He touches my shoulder comfortingly and then heads towards the exit. I clamber to the corner of the vent and watch as he opens the cover and jumps out, disappearing with a small wave. The light sneaks through the slats as I sit quietly, wondering if being alone and being free really were the same.

// TURN AND FACE THE STRANGE //
Emily Fischer
X-COM Forward Base
New Delhi, India
5:52 PM

Emily’s eyes opened from her trance, smiling warmly in the memory she had spent her break in. She felt a warm breeze brush into her tent and across her skin, the tiny hairs on her body twitching at the rare taste of fresh air.

She looked down at her chest, the chains of her triangle necklace and her dog tags intertwined on top of her. She rose out of bed slowly, stretching carefully as she ducked across her tent, grabbing her armor. She slapped each piece on, remaining quiet as the clasps grabbed, the straps tightened, and the plates connected with the pads. She shoved out of the canvas sheets that worked as her doors.

She recoiled and raised her hand as a gust of sandy wind blasted by her. She looked up at the massive alien citadel, emanating its dark energies as it loomed menacingly over the formerly human metropolis. The sky kept a disturbing scarlet and black color, fires and smokes raging uninhibited from any residence that resisted from beyond the walls.

Nika and Dallas walked out from their tents, dressed in similar hyper-advanced armor, Dallas’ in particular flaunting a gleaming officer medallion. They walked up beside her, taking in the same view. Sven walked up from one of the ration tables in the camp, inspecting his new gauss sniper rifle, aiming it artfully towards the tower, and then holding it by his leg.

“Ready to get to work?” Dallas asked.

“I am,” Emily said softly.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

“Your Uniqueness”

0600 Hours, June 27th, 2018
Civilian Quarters

Nouja sat on a couch, carving a piece of bone to try and distract herself. Supposedly Atka and the others were about to go on the attack, and her sister was worried sick. I only just got to see you again, don’t go and die on me, Atka. The Inuit teen closed her eyes, trying to establish a long-distance telepathic connection like she had before. She laid her carving knife down on a nearby table.

“H-hello,” a voice said softly, certainly not telepathically. Nouja opened her eyes, seeing it was Buniq II. Nouja started to get up to leave. “W-wait!” the Chryssalid hybrid protested.

“I’m kind of busy…”

“Wh-why do y-you keep a-avoiding me?” Buniq asked with as much courage as she could muster.

Nouja bit her lip. “…because you remind me of her! The r-real Buniq!” the younger daughter of Ipiktok blurted out.

“R…real?” Buniq responded with a hurt look.

“T-that Thin Man killed Buniq…you’re a copy…and…n-not…”

“I’m m-more human than I a-am o-one of t-them!”

“Maybe…but staring at the face of a friend I can never see again…” Nouja trailed off.

“And th-that means I c-can’t be y-your friend?”

Nouja was taken aback. “Why…” Even after all the harsh things I just said to you…

Buniq smiled weakly. “I may n-not be h-her, but I h-have enough o-of her m-memories to know w-what you’re l-like…”

“I…hope you realize I’m not…this much of an ass usually…”

“I-I know t-that…” Buniq responded gently.

Nouja sighed, walking over to Buniq, and hugged the hybrid suddenly. Buniq’s surprise was immediate, and her claws leaped out behind Nouja. Atka’s sister paled fearfully. “C…can you n-not…”

The claws were retracted as suddenly as they had come out. “S-sorry!”

“I suppose you can’t…exactly stop them from coming out sometimes…though they put a stopper-thingy on your brother’s arm gun…” Nouja said.

“That is to keep everyone else calm,” Isitoq said as he walked over. “There is a reason Buniq wears long sleeves.”

“I guess. Though I hear your blind friend isn’t afraid of you at all. Ammelia, was it? I hear she’s kinda unsure of herself from what Atka told me…”

“Sh-she didn’t seem that way t-to me…” Buniq contested.

“You’re about as unsure of yourself as possible, though,” Nouja retorted.

“I-I stood up t-to y-you…”

Nouja smiled. “That you did. Want to show me one of your famous simulations?”

Buniq nodded rapidly. “I-I’ve made them more detailed…”

“Who knows, perhaps you will become the first hybrid-clone-something writer with that imagination.”

“Would she not be the first of her kind for everything she does?” Isitoq suggested.

Buniq smiled slightly. “It is n-nice to be unique, I g-guess…”

Staging Ground, near New Delhi, India
1700 Hours, June 27th, 2018
Makeshift Barracks

Letter to Ipiktok:

Father,

I apologize for not having written to you sooner. We did it. We saved Nouja, mother, Kataktaq, Qamut, and a lot of other people. With regret, though, I have to tell you that Ugalik, Buniq, and Isitoq did not make it.

Bad news aside, our family is safe and sound at the base. Though…they’ve been through some changes, and can’t return home right now. I want to tell you more, I really do, but it’s a security issue, just like I couldn’t tell you details about my previous ops. ‘

For now, trust me in that they are okay. Nouja’s doing alright, and mom misses you. Whenever it becomes possible, I’ll make sure we are all reunited. And…there are two people we rescued that you ought to meet. It really is a pain, not being able to explain. I’ll tell you everything eventually, when it is safe to.

Your daughter, Atka

Atka finished writing the letter, and then felt a presence. Nouja, is that you?

Glad it works, Nouja affirmed. How are you, sis?

Good. We’re ready over here, Atka psied whilst glancing out of the tent at the foreboding tower of a citadel. I’ve got many brave spirits on my side. I’ll make it home, I promise.

BMPixy

Rendezvous
Albert Foulke
Unknown Location

I sighed as I propped my feet upon the desk in the office I had appropriated from the Glasgow Police Department. This case was going damn poorly. Three more dead in the last couple days, and that damn Spaniard was still eluding our grasp. Of course this asshole had to go and cause an international incident; some Spanish militant, Fernando Cortez, with a bone to pick against the Scots had decided that the best course of action was to murder innocent civilians in the name of ‘a new Spanish Empire’.

Why he picked Scotland I have no idea, but still, that last proclamation was why Interpol had sent me over. So far my duties had consisted of sitting at this desk, waiting for reports from the various agencies to get onto my desk, and snacking on some crisps. And here I continued to think that work in Interpol was some glamorous James Bond-esque life where I punch out super villains and run from dudes with razor hats.

The evening light dimly filtered through the half-closed blinds behind me, giving the entire room a sepia tone. I must admit, if I were a drinking man, this would be the perfect time for a bottle of scotch. And who knows, maybe some dame with legs for kilometers would walk in, and go on about some intrigue.

But rather than some imaginary lady, my liaison, Detective DeGroot, walked in. A good six centimeters taller than me and black as coal, the man struck an imposing figure in the dim lighting.

“Foulke,” the man said, drawing my attention away from my reverie and towards him, “I have the latest reports from the lead detective. I figured you would like a copy.”

“Thanks DeGroot,” I replied, gesturing for him to place the stack of files on the sparsely covered desk, which he did so. “Anything important come up?” I asked as I began to thumb through the top file.

“We’ve managed to track Cortez to the north-side of the city. While the exact location is unknown, we have it limited to an area about two square kilometers in size.”

“Good, good. Let me know if you find anything else,” I replied with a nod. DeGroot took that as his opportunity to leave and stepped out of the office, the door gently swinging closed behind him.

I quickly glanced at the clock. These reports could wait, I needed some dinner. And I think I should try out that greasy spoon Hans recommended; he said it was quite good.

Standing up from the desk and tucking the files into my briefcase, I stepped out of the office, making sure to lock the door behind me. The department was sparsely populated, most likely the people who weren’t on active cases or on patrol had the same idea I had. I told the secretary where I would be going, and he nodded, replying that he’d let anybody who was looking for me know.

Alright, where was that place again? Three blocks down, a left, and then it’ll be on my right; I think those were the directions Zimmer gave me. Walking down these streets, worming my way through the crowds, and having to stop for directions from a haberdashery clerk, I finally found my way to the restaurant in question.

The exterior was nothing much to look at, just a sign proclaiming the name of the restaurant, ‘Midnight City’, as well as a neon fixture proclaiming that the establishment was open. Stepping inside, the place gave that greasy spoon air that I had expected, with the dim lighting, long coffee bar, and single row of booths by the windows, and relative emptiness.

Taking a seat at the counter, I had to wait for a moment before a waitress approached me with a menu. I ordered a drink for the moment, some coffee, and the waitress poured me a cup as I looked over the menu. Hmm, the grilled ham and cheese sandwich with chips sounds good. I think I’ll have that.

Relaying my order to the waitress, I returned the menu to her with a smile and a thank you. I picked up a newspaper, glancing over the headline, more stuff about alien invasion. I hope Richie is alright, last I heard he had been picked up by some outfit meant for fighting the invaders. I’m sure they would have sent me a letter if he had died, but hopefully he’s not been in harm’s way too often.

The TV in the corner droned on about some local political issue, something I had no context for and to be honest little care for. With all due luck I’ll be finished with this case, and then I’ll be able to head back to Liverpool. Huh, what’s that static on the television?

With a might crash, a shockwave buffeted the diner, shattering the windows, and sending me sprawling into the counter. W-what the hell was that?

Slowly I pushed myself off the counter, and turned towards the impact site. The dust was far too thick to see through, so cautiously I drew my baton from under my coat and stepped towards the site of the impact. Flashes of green came from within the cloud could be seen, as well as the occasional scream. There are people in there!

Resolve firming, I charged into the dust cloud, quickly hopping through a shattered window. As I got further into the street, I saw the cause of the impact: some green and grey metal pod, with enormous green tendrils waving around in the air nearby. Oh God, they’re here.

As if sensing my presence, the tentacles turned towards me and lashed out. I dodged the first, but the second snagged me by the ankle, tripping me, as the third and fourth bound me, and began dragging me towards the pod, while wrapping me in some green substance. Dammit, no! Not here! Not without saying goodb-!

And then I heard a voice, in my very own head. One of your ends. Interesting.

XCOM Barracks
0112 Hours Local
Albert Foulke

My torso shot forward, head nearly impacting the bunk above me. I clamped down on the panic at the last moment, unwilling to wake my new roommates with a shout of terror that almost escaped my throat. Wait, no, they were out in America, picking up some new recruit.

I swung my legs out from under my blanket, sitting on the edge of my bunk, and palmed my forehead, trying to dismiss the nightmare as I panted heavily. It... it felt so real. Like that was the way things were meant to be.

What the hell are you thinking, Foulke? It’s probably just a meaningless dream, brought upon by recent stresses. After all, I haven’t been in the best way as of late, so it’s understandable that I’m having weird dreams. It’s perfectly normal, I just need to lay off the caffeine a bit maybe.

But... why doesn’t it feel normal?

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
A friend amongst the Enemy

Aya slowly walked into her room/office, wiping her hair with a towel after a post-mission shower. She glanced over at Eve, working on paperwork at the desk. With a chuckle, she said, "Boy, do I envy you. You get to relax on base while..."

Eve slammed her pen on the desk, making Aya jump. She slowly lifted her head, and angry grin on her face, her eye twitching ever so slightly. "You... envy me? Do you have... ANY... idea... how much work I have?"

"U-umm..." Aya nervously scratched her chin. "A... a lot?"

"Yes. A lot." Eve rubbed her temples. "You know, there is a reason you have time to go on missions and... and bathe. I mean, you're the soldiers' liaison, the highest ranking active soldier on base, and you're currently acting as the Commander's second in command. No, sorry, correction. I am acting as second in command, because you agree to lead missions and stick me with all the paperwork!"

"Wow, lit a fire under her arse, huh?" Morrigan laughed as she walked into the room.

"Just... wish my hard work was appreciated is all..." Eve mumbled without looking up.

"Don't worry, I appreciate it," Morrigan responded, nudging Aya. "Even if sis here doesn't."

"Just throw me under the bus, why don't you?" The blond soldier rolled her eyes.

Morrigan looked her half-naked friend up and down, and locked the door to the room. "Ye know, since you use this room as an office, you really should lock the door. Else someone is gonna see what God blessed ya with."

Aya waved a dismissive hand. "They don't get to see anything with me using your personal shower. Might as well give them some chance." Sitting down on her bed, she asked, "So what brings you here, I ask, knowing full well what the answer is."

"That other unit, was it possible they were monitoring us? That they found out about that ship because we have a leak?"

Aya thought for a moment, then shook her head. "After we identified our affiliation with the Council, they knew we were X-COM. But they didn't know who we were at first."

Eve shook her head. "If that's true, then they likely have tracking technology that rivals our own." She looked up at the Commander with a serious look. "But that doesn't mean we should just dismiss the idea of a leak."

"That laser weaponry did look familiar," Aya added, matching her sister's expression.

Morrigan slowly paced forward, deep on thought. "You... said they didn't identify with EXALT, but this 'Legion' could just be a cover. How many other well-organized group acting independently from any government or nation could there be?"

"Those androids likely weren't cheap." Aya bit her lip. "And the human soldiers looked different from the EXALT troops, but they all looked, acted, talked, and moved eerily similar to one another."

"More clones?" Eve grimaced a bit. "I thought you took care of those illegal cloning labs in Nevada."

"They must have just gotten a hold of the cloning technology when it leaked years ago. With how advanced these clones seemed, this might be the source."

Eve looked away, hiding a pained expression. Morrigan quickly walked over to her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Don't lump yourself in with them. They're probably just as mindless as the robots they fought with. You're not like them."

"You're Eve." Aya added. "You're your own person, with your own thoughts, your own life, and your own feelings." She smirked a bit. "You even have a cool power that I don't."

Eve smiled at the two of them. Attempting to change the subject, she asked, "What about that squad leader? Emma, right? You said she mentioned the name Elene."

"When she was recovering from the alien's mind control, yes."

"Then they likely are with EXALT, unless it was a colossal coincidence." Morrigan sounded serious, but cracked a small smile. "And if that is true, then what Dr. Cross said might also be true. There is dissension in EXALT. Do you think we have cause to trust them?"

Aya shrugged. "I'd rather err on the side of caution and say no. But they aren't as blood thirsty as the other troops were. That woman leading the others had a heart. She didn't feel like a bad person, and I'm usually a good judge of character. As long as it is serving their purpose, I don't think we have to worry about them."

Morrigan nodded in agreement. "You still as good an artist as always?"

Aya looked over at Eve, and Eve handed Morrigan a composite of the Legion unit leader. "Never doubt a master drawer."

"Good. I'm still trying to dig up information of Viktor Dorian. In the meantime, I'll be seeing what I can find out about this woman."

Aya grinned. "I bet the Council can't wait until they see that picture, huh?"

Morrigan grinned back. "Yeah. Too bad you didn't get a good look at her face under that helmet."

"Yeah." Aya laid back, closing her eyes. "Too bad."

Last edited:

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Every Secret Has A Price Part 1 (MarineAvenger and Frostlich1228)

Ammelia sat on her bunk, organizing her chess sets that had been moved downstairs by her friends and the base staff that had time for a game. She looked over all of the empty beds in the room, most of her roommates, including Emily, were away in India fighting the aliens. That left her alone to think about her father and Dorian, risking themselves and the company to give X-Com a fighting chance against EXALT.

“Dad can handle himself… This is what he’s been doing almost his entire life…” Ammelia told herself, falling back on her bed.

“Worrying about others once more are you Ammy?” Desmond leaned against the open door frame and stared at his friend. “You have a certain look on your face that gives it away. Spend enough time with people and I guess you pick these things up.” he said, smiling at the girl laying on the bed.

“Desmond?” Ammelia looked up in surprise, “I didn’t realize you were there…”

“I seem to have that special gift. Never know when I may pop by unannounced.” He strode into the room and stood in the middle of it in front of Ammelia. “It is nice to see you all well and good. I know I promised to be there but…” He held up his metal arm and looked at it with a hint of contempt. “Life got in the way.”

“It’s alright Desmond. You were there in spirit.” Ammelia smiled, “and is popping in unannounced one of your new Psychic Powers?” She said jokingly.

“No, but that would be a cool concept. I will get back to you on that. How is the new spine handling? We don’t need you turning into the Pillsbury Dough Girl out there.” He replied with a mischievous grin.

“Are you calling me fat? Just because you have special brain powers doesn’t mean you get to go and call all the ladies fat.” Ammy replied, rolling her eyes at him.

“Fat?” He chuckled and stated, “If anyone is getting fat around here is me. Been a while since I have really pushed myself, I may be losing my edge soon. Though back on topic, no you are not fat, I just don’t want to see one of my friends rolled up and placed on a cookie sheet.”

“Out of all the ways I could die that does sound the most delicious!” Ammelia said, realizing just how dark that joke was. “Anyway, you don’t need to push yourself anymore, not when you can float around and blast all the aliens with your mind bolts.”

“You are making us out to be gods. We psions do have our limits…” He took out a few coins from his pocket and threw them in the air, a red glow surrounding them and floating above his hand in an oval pattern. “Though we do have our perks.”

She watched the coins float effortlessly above his hand, “Just don’t let all that power go to your head, alright? Uh… No pun intended.”

“Funny isn’t it? We have harnessed the power of the human mind, unlocking all this unlimited power…” He let go of the coins and caught all three in his metal hand. “Yet we have less energy than a Duracell battery.”

“I never thought Psychics were real, then I find out that a bunch of my friends were secretly mind warriors. Wasn’t really sure if they were kidding or not at first, but then I watched the base assault mission.”

“It is somewhat the same for me. For years I thought I was the only one. I have lived with these powers ever since I was cre-...” He stopped himself before he said it but shook his head. “Born.”

“Is… there something you’re not telling me?” Ammelia asked, curious at how he stopped mid sentence.

“W-what are you talking about? Did I?” He took in a deep breath hoping that she was somewhat as perceptive as a half dead rat.

Ammelia gave him a sad look, “Desmond, I grew up in the business world, don’t you think I can recognize a Freudian slip when I hear one?”

Crap, should I come clean or… “It is nothing, really! Besides it is not anything important anyways.”

Ammy looked down sadly, knowing full well her friend was keeping another secret from her, “Alright… I shouldn’t pry then…”

“It is not your fault Ammelia, it is just something that a past acquaintance of mine would roll in her grave if I said...at least I think she is in one.” Very smooth Desmond…

“If it’s too personal you don’t have to tell me…” I just hope it’s not another ‘I have psychic powers’ type of secret… Ammelia thought.

“Even in death you still haunt me Lusett…” Desmond muttered.

Ammelia’s eyes perked up, her augmented hearing picking up something they shouldn’t have, “Lusett?”

Desmond recoiled at Ammelia mentioning the name and looked at her with a serious look. He looked out the door and shut it. “How do you know her name?”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Every Secret Has A Price Part 2 (MarineAvenger and Frostlich1228)

“She helped develop my SAaIDA… In a way… She was like a Aunt to me…” Ammelia said slowly.

Desmond rushed up to Ammelia and put his hands on her shoulders. “How much do you know about her research? Please, the answer you give will determine what I will say next.”

Ammelia looked at him worriedly, “I-I know she worked with my dad to discover infrawaves… After that she just sort of left… I overheard him saying something about her cloning organs… but that’s it…”

He nodded slowly and he sat her down on the bed and put his head in his hands. “Ammy...what I am about to say is something only a select few know and it is something that could put me in serious danger should it get out.” He looked her in the eyes, his look between pleading and sorrow.

“I-I… Mhmm” She simply nodded. What is this… Desmond...

“Ammelia...this may sound stupid but...I am not a human, at least not completely.”

What!? “Desmond… I-I don’t… what are you then?” She asked in stuttery, shocked voice.

“Lusett wasn’t just cloning organs Ammelia. She was cloning full grown humans. In fact, Desmond is just a name I was given when I was made. My real designation is Subject 42; the first male survivor of her cloning process. There were 41 others before me and there were only two survivors, I think you can do the math.”

“Y-y-you’re a clone!?” Ammelia said, her brain trying to process what she’d just heard. “Why didn’t you tell anyone? Wh-Why-”

“Do you realize what the Council would do if they found out I had a connection to...something like this. Ammelia there is a specific reason I wanted to keep this secret, cloning is illegal almost all around the world. This is why she went into hiding. The only reason I am telling you is because you are the only one here who could know where I am coming from. If Morrigan or someone high up were to find out this secret…”

“Illegal cloning? Why would Auntie Lusett… I know her goals were progress no matter what, but to go as far as that?” She stammered.

“The fact that I exist may be looked down on by some, though I hope you understand. I can’t exactly say for sure what her motive was but all I can say is that things will be brought into the light soon enough. I just hope that the seeds have not already been planted for the future, I hate having to be chained down by something as stupid as destiny.” He tried to lighten the news but he could see that holding back or sugar coating would only hurt them both.

“You… kept this from me for so long… Did you not think I needed to know earlier!? How many other secrets are you keeping!?” She replied, frustration building in her voice.

“How was I supposed to know that you had some sort of relation to her! I wasn’t planning on letting anyone finding out at this point. I told you out of confidence Ammelia, don’t make me regret this.” There was a sense of sadness and betrayal in his voice and his own frustration was growing as well.

“Are you trying to say she never said anything about me or Cross Technologies? She worked with us for so long! I mean, we were sending her huge checks to help fund her and we didn’t even know what she was really doing!” Ammy asked.

“It is not like me and her had a talkative relationship. I barely ever saw her in my entire time since my creation. In fact, she even sent me away for upwards of three years and then hired mercs to get me back. Not really room for a line of communication in that time.”

“So is that why he killed her? To get control of these clones?” She replied, trying to keep her frustration under control.

“No. As I mentioned before there were only two survivors, and one of them was her own clone and half daughter.”

Ammelia felt a wrenching pain in her chest, “How long were you going to wait to tell us this?”

“As long as possible. This isn’t something you just announce to the world Ammelia. What would you have done in my place?”

“I’ll keep your secret safe Desmond… Because you’re still my friend... But you’ve really hurt me… I’m tired of all these secrets, I feel like I’m back home…” She said sighing.

“If you think that this is any easier on me then you are mistaken. I don’t like hurting my friends, but sometimes a sweet lie is better than a harsh reality. There are things in this world that can’t be explained completely until the time is right. When that time comes to pass I hope that you will be strong enough to learn the dark paths that some people may have taken, and to accept the choices they have made.” he told her solemnly. “I think I have overstayed my welcome.” He stood up and sighed.

“Friends need to be honest with each other… The longer you keep a secret, Desmond, the more it’ll hurt the person you tell… If you think I feel hurt… I can’t Imagine how hurt Ellie would be if she knew... Maybe I should be glad I’m not in her position…” She said, looking away from him.

“What hurts a person more Ammy? The lies they keep to protect the ones they care about, or the truths that will keep them away.”

“But there is nothing wrong with being a clone… I’m friends with Buniq… But to know now… After all we’ve been through… and to know that you didn’t even tell me on what could’ve been my deathbed… Hurts so much more…”

“Then I hope you can imagine the pain I feel having to live with the burden, and I pray that you never experience what I have gone through. This is not something I chose Ammelia, this was something that was forced on me. I can’t tell you the number of times where I almost gave up because living was more painful than dying. I may not be a full human, but I suffer just the same.” He could feel as if he just wanted to explode but he just squeezed his fists and looked down. This is what you have accomplished. To drive away the only person here that would understand.

“I understand what it is like to live with something that life forced upon you… But I accepted what life did to me… Hiding it doesn’t solve anything… Just because you’re a clone doesn’t mean that that is all you are, you’re my friend, you’re a good person… but knowing that you didn’t trust us enough to simply tell us, hurts…”

Desmond couldn’t take it any longer and he just walked to the door and opened it slowly. “Just one last thing before I go. It is not you that I do not trust. It is the people we work for that I do not trust. Be careful when you finally get out there, I don’t want to lose one of my friends...no matter what they may have done.”

“Goodbye Desmond, I’m sorry this turned out the way it did… Wounds heal… I’m still your friend… and you’re secret is safe with me…” She said, giving him a small wave.

He walked out of the girl’s room and he made his way to somewhere he knew he could be alone. When he slammed the door to his lab he walked over to one of of the metal tables and slammed his fist down, denting the metal. He fell to a knee and finally allowed a tear to fall.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Field Report
For viewing by the High Overseer Only

Continued attempts to infiltrate the human installation, named X-COM, have all resulted in failure. Additionally, IIX-6, IIX-8, and IIX-9 had to self-terminate to avoid detection upon failure. It is recommended that we use remaining units for combat, and continue relaying on IIX-3, the only unit to successfully infiltrate the base.

IIX-3 has given us a bounty of information in regards to the human's laboratories, mechanical bays, and power rooms, all of which will, of course, be sent with this message. Additionally, IIX-3 has continued to take advantage of a human child, designation 'Brigid'. After IIX-3 turned an accidental sighting into an unknowing ally, difficulty arose when the subject became difficult, but after another possible security breach was disposed of, IIX-3 successfully deployed a ruse to ensure the child's continued cooperation.

After exposure to the device, the child has shown to have the power of suggestion. Though it is unlikely, due to the direct way it was exposed to the device, that it will ever develop other abilities, IIX-3 has used it to its advantage.

A number of subjects have been shown to be capable of detecting IIX-3's presence. However, most are located away from the main facilities, and can be ignored for now. Two in particular are of concern, as they are soldiers. One is currently away, and the other likely cannot be disposed of without drawing attention. Caution will be important. The humans are currently attempting to utilize the device for their own use. While this might further our goals, it will also make continued infiltration in this manner impossible. Recommend destruction of X-COM before this occurs.

Finally, one human in particular should be noted. It is a female scientist, who shows no signs of psionic potential. Despite this, she has shown to be resistant to the child's control. This is unusual, as the same human was shown to be easily influenced in a prior encounter. Regardless, it acts as a possible security breach. The female currently has quarters alone, and many of the other humans it interacts with regularly are off base for the time being. Recommend immediate disposal of the female. Will await confirmation of orders.

Last edited:

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Mounting Concern (MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53)

X-COM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
Office of Commander O’Brien
1000 Hours

Morrigan sat on the small couch in her office, taking a short break to indulge Brigid. The pair each drew on a piece of paper, and showed each other their pictures. “Wow, dear, that’s a really pretty bird.” She said with a smile.

“Thank you mommy!” Brigid studied her mother’s picture. “A-and I like your… your, um… doggie?”

Morrigan frowned, looking at her picture. “It’s… supposed to be a mouse… hmm…”

“I still like it,” Brigid responded with an innocent smile, and got a rub on the head in response.

Desmond walked up to the old secretary and gave her a wave. “I think you got my name by now.” He said with an unenthused sigh.

“Yes Desmond,” she said with a pleasant smile. “Go on in. I don’t think she’s busy right now.”

He walked over to the door and pushed it open slowly and spotted the pair of O’Briens sitting on the couch in the office. He walked to the pair and rubbed the small girl’s hair. “Hello Brigid.” He nodded at the older woman. “Commander.”

“Desmond.” Morrigan gave him a serious look, but quickly dropped it and smiled. “Good work on that mission in Japan, Mr. Walker. I’m glad you decided to give yourself another shot at this leadership thing.”

“Yeah, me too. Though I would rather not talk about Japan if you don’t mind.” He gave a weak smile and sat crossed legged on the floor.

Morrigan considered that for a moment, then shrugged. “Alright, Desmond. What would you like to talk about today?”

He nudged Brigid and looked between the two on the couch. “Brigid, is there something you would like to ask your mother?”

Brigid nodded. “Um… mommy… Mr. Desmond said that he would watch me sometimes.”

Morrigan raised an eyebrow. “He did, huh? And… you want him to?” Brigid nodded, and Morrigan looked at Desmond. “Why the sudden interest in child care, Mr. Walker?”

He shrugged. “Many reasons. She seems to not like many of her escorts and since she seems so warm with me I figured it wouldn’t hurt to spend time with her. You already know I am more than qualified.” He leaned into Morrigan and whispered in her ear. “And there is something I need to bring to your attention. Away from her though.”

“I…” Morrigan’s eyes darted between the two of them. With a confused look, she said, “Brigid, dear, why don’t you go get your math work so we can work on it a little early.”

“Okay.” Brigid jumped off the couch and ran over to the secretary outside of the room. After a brief exchange, the two walked off to the Commander’s room.

“Alright, Desmond,” Morrigan said with a look of dead seriousness. “Explain.”

“There is something...off, about Brigid. Ever since a couple of weeks ago I have been sensing something. Something far off and something close. Brigid is what that close thing is originating from, at least that is my hypothesis.”

Morrigan’s confusion only grew as she shook her head. “I don’t… what does that mean, sensing something off? Sensing what? What are you trying to say about my daughter?”

“I can’t say for sure but either Brigid has magically started using psionics or someone else has powers that we don’t know about. I need to make sure that Brigid is not a danger to the base...or herself.” The look he gave the Commander showed no hint of him joking.

Morrigan started rocking a bit, hiding a slightly panicked look and doing a poor job of it. She stood up suddenly, and started pacing the room. “I… alright, I, uh… how could… Brigid have these abilities? I never asked you or Atka… did they just suddenly pop up for you as children?” She rubbed her forehead. “And if it is someone else, does that mean they’re using their powers on… oh, God, why did I bring her here?”

“Morrigan, I don’t know for sure about anything yet. I will try my best to get to the bottom of this but without Atka here I can’t say for sure. But if you want my honest guess, someone may be influencing us in the shadows. I doubt that someone we know would be using powers without telling anyone. Is there anything that has been brought on base that is psionically linked in anyway? A device or a weapon maybe?”

Morrigan didn’t have to think for long. “Um… y-yeah. The aliens… the alien base, it had a large device that we believe was being used as some kind of… psychic communicator. And another smaller machine we believe was used to give the abductees psionics. We’re using them both to build two rooms, one to see if we can trace the signal of the first device, and the second to see if you can find psionic potential in any soldiers.”

“Well then I will be sure to see if Brigid has been near any of those devices. If it makes you feel any better these powers she has gained, she can be trained to keep them under control. As you may have seen from Atka and a few of our other survivors not all powers are destructive. In time she may gain control of them but for now Brigid should be safe.”

“I don’t WANT her to get used to anything!” Morrigan placed her hand over her eyes, and after a moment, simply sat on the floor, taking several minutes to regain her composure. After what felt like forever, she said in a raspy voice, “I’m sorry, Mr. Walker. I know you’re just trying to help.” She finally pulled her hand away from her now blood-shot eyes, and added, “Please… keep an eye on her when you have the time. I… I need one of my best soldiers to be a soldier. But if you can help me, I’d appreciate it.”

“I will do my best Morrigan, you don’t have to worry about that.” He helped the Commander off the floor and the two moved to her desk. “As for a momentary distraction I have some reports for you, as well as a special request.”

Morrigan cleared her throat, trying to regain some of her lost dignity. “Of course, Desmond. Go ahead.”

“Well, psionics are continuing slowly. Discoveries are hard to come by but I am getting close to some breakthroughs into potential powers. As for the request…” He took a small SIM card out of his pocket and handed it to the Commander containing the sword schematics. “This is something special that I want permission to build.”

Morrigan looked the schematics up and down. With a slight smile, she asked, “Desmond, are you familiar with an American expression; ‘Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight’?”

He smirked and nodded. “Yes I have. Allow me to explain. Let me just say me and this particular make of sword have some history. Plus it suits my prefered tactics. You remember that time in the forest I presume?”

“I do, and you are quite skilled. I take it you’ve trained in sword fighting, extensively if you wish to use one now.”

“Yes, I have. Though if we don’t throw a wild card at the aliens every now and then they might start using our tactics against us. It is nice to have a mobile powerhouse slicing up Sectoids.”

Morrigan chuckled a little. “Well, they won’t see it coming, I’m sure of that. And this is an interesting design. Who would build it, though. I’m not sure if we have many blacksmiths on base, especially one’s trained to build with these materials.”

“Then consider us lucky when I say I have made these before. I would just need one or two people to help for a day or two to help things along.”

The Commander examined the schematics for a moment longer, then nodded. “Alright, Desmond. Approved. I’d like to see what you can do with this.”

“So am I. It has been a few years but my lessons are still lingering.” He poked his forehead and looked at Morrigan. “Do you have any questions for me before I leave?”

The smile faded from Morrigan’s face. “Do you… think, if someone is behind what you’re sensing around Brigid, that they might be dangerous. How much danger do you think she might be in?”

His face darkened and put a thoughtful hand on his chin. “I won’t sugar coat it. If there is someone behind all of this then there is no doubt she may be in extreme danger. If they have been directly influencing her...then those chances skyrocket.”

“I… I suppose you’ve heard about the disappearance of one of the soldiers previously assigned to escort her?”

He nodded. “And I fear...that the two are not just coincidences.”

Morrigan looked more and more uncomfortable by the moment. “We have reason to believe she was murdered. And we might be closing in on a suspect. In the meantime, I want you to keep a close eye on my daughter whenever she is with you. Please, don’t… don’t let her out of your sight.”

“She will not come into harm as long as I watch over her. You saw how I get when it comes to protecting my friends.”

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and ZombieSplitter53: “More Questions than Answers”

2015 Hours, June 28th, 2018
Major Brea’s Office

Tom took a sip of his ‘morning’ coffee, stretching his arms as he walked. Things had been quiet for the assistant manager of records for awhile, but with Atka and Modya gone, he found himself a bit bored. Megan and Sarah were not around to talk to their family staying with Sofia in Phoenix, either, to further complicate...or rather, uncomplicate matters. And having only work to do isn’t enjoyable, either.

The messenger stepped up to the door to the newly-commissioned Major Brea’s office, and knocked lightly as he drank more of his coffee.

“Come in,” Aya said, looking up from the paperwork Eve had pushed her to help with.

“Not too busy to talk, I hope, Major?” Tom asked.

“Of course not.” Aya answered, and got a roll of the eyes from Eve in response. “I don’t believe we’ve met.”

“Thomas Burrick, assistant manager of records. I work the night shift, so I do tend to go unnoticed sometimes,” he explained.

“Unnoticed or not, your job is important,” Eve said without looking up. “Anyone who has to deal with that much paperwork deserves a raise. Or at least to be paid in the first place.”

Aya rolled her eyes this time. “So, what can I do for you, Mr. Burrick?”

“Well, I would say my aim here is twofold,” Thomas said with mock drama in his voice, before continuing, “I wanted to meet you, since I’ve heard a lot about you, Major Brea. But I also did want to discuss some things about the last mission you went on.”

“Alright.” Aya gave Tom a friendly smile. “We got the first one out of the way. But if you want the second, call me Aya. You’re not a soldier, after all. No need for such formalities.”

“Alright, but for your part you have to call me Tom,” the records keeper said with a smile.

“Agreed, Tom.”

“First of all, I did some digging into the woman you met that seemed to be in charge of ‘Legion’s’ squad,” Thomas began. “The problem is, she doesn’t exist. Not only can I not find a match for the name with the face, but there’s no record of anyone that looks like her anywhere that I can find. For all intents and purposes, this ‘Emma’ is a ghost.”

Aya sat back in her chair. “Well… she was real, that’s for sure. Found that out when I had to put her mind-control head in a choke hold.”

“You think it’s some kinda cover-up?” Eve asked. “Like, records destroyed, you never existed, and all that Jazz?”

“I’m not so sure...they did say they weren’t working for anyone but themselves. I doubt the U.S. government wouldn’t boast about having a fighting force like that, and there aren’t many other people that have access to that level of tech,” Tom said thoughtfully. “And those others with her...they seemed to talk and act unnaturally similar. Almost like the EXALT clones, though they seem a hell of a lot better at teamwork than EXALT is.”

“A lot less reckless, too,” Eve added.

Aya raised an eyebrow, a thought suddenly popping in her head. “Actually, now that you say that, that Emma woman mentioned the androids as being somewhat disposable, only cautioning against monetary loss. But she didn’t say the same about the others. Maybe they weren’t clones after all.”

“Or maybe they were, but she valued their lives more than EXALT does,” Eve offered.

“I doubt they’re EXALT, or at least, they’re not honest with whoever is in charge. We haven’t seen EXALT field automatons like that, and you’d think they would have by now against us rather than helping out with them,” Tom suggested. “I don’t get the piece of the puzzle with this ‘Elene.’ Emma acted like you might know who that is…”

“The Commander said she’s someone who might be working for EXALT who is…” Eve started.

Aya cleared her throat, interrupting her sister. “So much for classified information.” She smiled at Tom. “Sorry, no offense. But since Eve has such a big mouth, the Commander has reason to believe there is an EXALT operative named Elene that may be working against her will, or at the very least, is unhappy with the current leadership in EXALT.”

“Well...it would seem that she has a very strong force now. Though, if she’s working for EXALT and is producing this stuff separately...where the heck is it getting produced? I can’t imagine one of the EXALT cells would be large enough for a line of combat robots,” Thomas mused. “Even if there is one like that, I imagine the leader of EXALT isn’t stupid enough to not monitor what goes on there.”

“Well, the Commander couldn’t tell us everything, but she believes they might be able to produce things away from the main base.” Aya considered where that could be.

“But…” Eve bit her lip. “What if Tom is right? What if she is working separately from the rest of EXALT, and the leader finds a way to monitor her? If that happens, the main EXALT forces will end up having robot soldiers, and Elene might end up being killed.”

“And who knows what else this ‘Elene’ has been working on. Clones, mechanical soldiers, gene mods...all of that in the hands of EXALT would be disastrous for us. If she is operating out of a separate base, though, why doesn’t she actually go to us for help if she knows about us in the first place?” Tom wondered. “If she’s separate for all intents and purposes, why continue to be part of the main EXALT?”

“I…” Aya started, but couldn’t find an answer.

“Maybe… she’s trapped.” Eve offered. “Maybe she’s being forced to work for him, or maybe someone she cares about is being held hostage, and she’s pretending to help while keeping as many secrets as possible.”

“Or maybe she doesn’t think she can trust us anymore than her current employers,” Aya added. “She might feel we would force her to do what she does now, and it would just be one more prison.”

Tom tapped his fingers on his arm. “I do have to ask an important question, then. If she did come to us for help, would she be wrong to believe that? If she’s responsible for human cloning, that violates international law, for starters...but…”

Eve squirmed uncomfortably, and Aya sighed. “There are… extenuating circumstances. And the Commander isn’t one to see things in black and white.”

Thomas nodded slowly. “I wish we knew more, though. I don’t personally know how the Commander got into contact with her, and it sounds like Elene was hesitate to tell us much of anything. It leaves us with only guesswork, and like I said, there’s no information on who they…” Tom stopped, his eyes widening. “Aya...you don’t think...Elene and Emma are genetically modified clones? That might be why I can’t find anyone that even looks like Emma, and Elene could be the same way…”

“It would make sense.” Eve nodded her head. “There would be no record of their existence if they didn’t exist until recently.”

“And if that is the case,” Aya said slowly. “Then… she might not only be afraid of punishment for cloning. She… she might be afraid of what would happen if we found out she was a clone.”

Tom nodded. “And that answers a lot of questions, but raises more, such as: who was her basis, then? Who created her? I can’t believe it would be EXALT’s leader, since the clones he’s made otherwise seem like loyal zealots. If he can make them like that, there’s no reason why one of his own creations would be rebellious against him.”

“That, I can’t answer,” Aya said in a slightly frustrated tone. “Damn. I hate answers that lead to more questions.”

“If we just had a chance to talk to her…” Thomas lamented. “We might be able to figure out a lot more. And not only that… if we can get her on our side, not only could we take down EXALT, but she would be an invaluable ally. It is clear EXALT doesn’t have the resources or backing XCOM does, and yet look at all they, and more importantly, Elene has managed to accomplish on her own. A scientist like that…”

“I agree.” Aya frowned. “But to talk to her, we would need her trust. And to get her trust, we need to talk to her. It’s a real catch-22, huh?”

“And it doesn’t help that we’re both organizations that shroud our location in secrecy,” Tom added. “Though I’d like to think that we gained some semblance of trust after that mission.” The records keeper grinned. “Seemed to me like you were as much of a big sister to this ‘Emma’ as you are to your own sister.”

Aya and Eve smiled at each other. “I have practice learning on the fly,” the older sister said. “And I wouldn’t mind meeting her again.”

“Who knows?” Tom began. “Maybe they’ll show up like cavalry in India. We sure could use the help with that damn citadel…”

Aya nodded. “So, um… you wanna talk more over…” Eve cleared her throat, and pointed an angry finger at the paperwork left on the desk.

Thomas chuckled. “Another time, perhaps. And if you need any help, Eve, don’t hesitate to ask,” he said, before turning around and looking over his shoulder. “I’ll continue looking into things, and hopefully we can work this whole ‘Elene’ issue out. I certainly don’t mind talking again, considering practically everyone else I know is off in southern Asia fighting.”

“Don’t be a stranger, Tom,” Aya asked in an almost pleading voice as Eve shoved a pen into her hand, and the two turned their attention back to the stack before them.

Tom nodded with a smile, and walked out the door, shutting it gently behind him. “More questions than answers, indeed. You certainly are a mysterious one, Elene…”

BMPixy

Six kilometers above New Dehli
Aboard the Honored Overseer’s personal craft
Damage Control

Jiokjiok grumbled to himself, analyzing the screen before him. Three Balmadaar, one disc-form Silicid, two of the cybernetically-mutilated Heavy Xaltus, and a Leviathan-combat walker remained under his command. From a quick batch of mental math, his opponent still had thirty-four thousand points of units left, half of which was currently engaged with the remainder of his unit. Visible enemy force composition was two Cyber-skeleton clad First Ones, reinforced by six of the generic First Ones, four Balmadaar of his own, and two Broodkin.

Jiokjiok’s opponent, Volknar, laughed and grinned maniacally, leaning over the controls before him, trying to get a closer view of the slaughter before him. The Broodkin moved closer, however a quick re-allocation of fire from the Leviathan shredded the feral beasts under the intensity of the fusion cannon fire. An idea beamed into Jiokjiok’s head, and he quickly ordered the Xaltus to drop their grenades on the cluster of First Ones.

Four of the First Ones instantly died in the blasts, while the other two were left out of cover and were quickly gunned down by the Balmadaar. The backlash from the loss of psionic support staggered the Cyber-skeletons, which opened up a hole in the enemy’s barrage of fire, allowing the Leviathan to prepare its missile launchers. Meanwhile Jiokjiok had the remaining troops focus on suppressing the enemy, keeping them rooted in place.

A few ineffective shots echoed back from the heavily damaged enemy forces, and now it was Jiokjiok’s turn to grin. But that grin turned to worry once more as he noticed that Volknar still had a smirk firmly etched on his face.

The reason for that smirk showed itself, as the Leviathan braced itself for firing. From a building above, defenestration ensued, as a massive Broodkin descended and... was that an elbow drop? By the Ethereal Ones, that Broodkin elbow dropped the Leviathan. The mechanized walker groaned under the weight of the Broodkin, and structural integrity was severely damaged. However, the firing routine continued, and the Leviathan’s missiles exploded instantly upon coming into contact with the Broodkin above, destroying both walker and beast in a massive explosion.

A beat passed as Jiokjiok took in what had happened before him, and as it passed a barrage of plasma fire poured in from above the window that the Broodkin had emerged from, which cut down the humiliated Balmadaar Elite’s remaining forces.

You... you would not have been to exert such fine control over the Broodkin, Jiokjiok fumed, pointing a meaty finger of outrage at his smug opponent.

Relax, Jiokjiok, Volknar said dismissively, It is merely a training simulation. I simply exploited the rules. Jiokjiok had to visibly restrain himself from assaulting his fellow Balmadaar, and simply settled for punching the console he stood at. Then, something brushed up against his mind.

Jiokjiok, the psionic voice of his leader said, would you please find the time to report to my quarters. Things need to be discussed. The Balmadaar knew that despite the wording of the request, any delays would look... poorly upon him.

I need to go. The Honored Overseer has need of me, Jiokjiok said gruffly, and stood from the console, leaving Volknar to smugly stare at his humiliated foe.

Jiokjiok paced the halls of the Honored Overseer’s craft, taking time to admire the various iconography placed carefully along the walls. Were the Honored Overseer not the closest thing the Balmadaar had known to a god, he might have taken all these images of themselves as a sign of vanity. Instead, it was merely a reminder of the splendor and might that the Ethereal Ones held.

The Elite slid through the door, into the Honored Overseer’s quarters. In there, he was treated to a rare sight: the Ethereal One standing upon the floor, rather than floating.

My liege, I have arrived, Jiokjiok said, bowing deeply and respectfully.

As was expected, my servant. Arise and be blessed, Jiokjiok, the Ethereal One replied, gesturing to the same effect. Slowly the Balmadaar arose.

Why have you summoned me, my liege? Jiokjiok asked.

The New Ones have breached the outer defenses of their city, and our forces are rapidly falling to their might. It appears that the primary resistance has equipped the local nation-states with some of their technology, and they are using it to great effect, the Honored Overseer replied.

If you will it, my liege, I shall take a strike force of the Balmadaar Elite and Leviathan Walkers to retake the city, Jiokjiok said, eager for a potential fight.

While your zeal is appreciated, the Honored Overseer countered, that is not how the path shall guide us on this day. No, rather than attempt to save those of ours trapped below, instead we shall avenge them.

How so, my liege?

Directive Balistaria, they said simply.

Already? Are we sure the New Ones are capable of withstanding such a display of our might? Jiokjiok said in shock.

We shall seek consensus with the rest of the Ethereal Ones, the Honored Overseer replied, but this one is certain that we shall be in agreement over this matter. Should we do so, I would like to see you placed highly among the leadership of the assault.

If you would have it, my liege, Jiokjiok replied humbly, I would be honored beyond all compare.

Then we are in consensus, Jiokjiok. Alert the pilot, we shall be returning to ADFX-01 for preparations.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53

Following the Breadcrumbs: Part One

Outside of the Base, Approximately Fifty Feet from the Entrance

Brigid smiled brightly, ignoring the icy cold making her cheeks red as she enjoyed being out of the base for the first time in what felt like forever. She slowly rolled a snowball as Desmond watched from a few feet away, completely oblivious to the cold as usual.

“I am glad you enjoyed this idea Brigid. Isn’t it nice to get out from that stuffy base?” He asked, a hollow smile covering his serious undertone.

“Yes, Mr. Desmond.” Brigid nodded her head as she continued to push the snow. “I don’t like being trapped all the time. Thank you for taking me up here.”

“No problem. There is a question I have for you Brigid, just something I am curious about.”

“Okay, Mr. Desmond. What is it?”

“Have you been feeling strange recently? Like anything you can do or feel that you couldn’t before?”

Brigid stopped to think for a minute, then shook her head and continued playing with the snow. “I don’t think so. But sometimes, I get a funny feeling around some people.”

“What about anyone strange? Has anyone approached you or you have had contact with that has been telling you to do things?”

Brigid stopped again, this time more suddenly. “I… um… no, Mr. Desmond.”

He looked at her and he squatted in front of her. “Brigid. This is important. I don’t want there to be lies between us okay?”

“Um…” She closed her eyes. “Um… I can’t… I was talking to the lady in the labs… and the lady at the doctors… but they didn’t tell me anything. I… and Margaret told me to be good…”

He nodded slowly and put a hand on her tiny shoulder. “Is that all sweetie?”

Brigid nodded slowly. “I… just want to help keep everyone safe.” She mumbled to herself.

“So do I Brigid...so do I…” He smiled and picked up a handful of snow and threw it at the tiny girl.

Brigid giggled, through a small handful back at him.

……………………………

Desmond walked through the halls of the base and made his way to the science wing after he had dropped Brigid off at her mother’s office. Going on what he had talked about with Morrigan and Brigid he decided that talking to a scientist who had saw her that day in the lab. He walked in the glass doors and looked about.

Jessica looked about at the soldier as he walked in, a little confused as she had never expected to see him here. Walking over to him, she asked, “What’s up, Desmond? You need something? Maybe for your arm?”

He looked over to the green haired scientist and bowed his head. “Hello, not today though I do have a question for you.”

Jessica nodded. “Shoot. I could use the break.”

“Has the Commander’s daughter, Brigid, been down here anytime recently? I am looking into some stuff for the Commander.”

“Um… yeah, Alexia showed her around the gene-lab the other day, then went to eat lunch with her.” Jessica grinned. “I was a little jealous. I would have liked to meet her myself.”

“Anytime before that? Particularly around the psionic equipment you received.”

Jessica thought for a moment. “Well… there was this…” Her eyes widened a bit. “Wait, that was the Commander’s daughter?”

“Yes, it was. Is there something that happened?”

Jessica shook her head. “N-not much. I just found her on the floor of one of the side rooms, conked out. She woke up, and I escorted…” Jessica’s eyes darted back and forth. “I… showed her out, right? I must have. And then I… sent her on her way… I think.”

He shook his head. “You...think, Jessica you weren’t drinking that night were you? Was any of the equipment touched or misplaced?”

“N-no, I swear!” Jessica raised her hands defensively. “I-I would never drink before coming to work. And… and I didn’t see anything out of place. I… I just can’t remember.” She looked like she was on the verge of panicking. “Why… why can’t I remember? I-I remember everything, why can’t I…”

Desmond took a deep breath and placed a hand on the woman’s forehead. Closing his eyes and he concentrated, pulling out the memory he needed. He saw the memory through her eyes and watched as it played back. “Well this explains some things.” As he pulled his hand away from the green haired scientist.

“Um…” Jessica gave him a confused look. Behind her, one of the other techs cleared his throats. “I… gotta get back to work. I’m on thin ice, something about my supervisor not remembering giving Alexia permission to take off early.” She rushed back to her work station, yelling back, “But we should talk more later.”

“Yes we should…” He turned and walked out of the lab.

……………………………

Walking into the medical ward, Desmond looked around for the receptionist that kept the records. Taking a wild guess he walked over to one of the nurses behind a computer and leaned against the counter. “Can you get me the name of the doctor who did a check up on Brigid O’Brien for me?”

She raised an eyebrow at Desmond and looked around nervously. “I don’t know if I am able to do that sir.”

“Please, I am on the orders of the Commander herself.” He stated.

The nurses eyes widened and she bit her lip as she began typing into the computer. “It says that it was Doctor Elizabeth Rinly.”

He nodded and let out a sigh as he made his way to his girlfriend’s office. He tapped on the door and it swung open and upon seeing Desmond standing there, Ellie jumped onto him and gave him a squeeze.

“Hey there! This is an unexpected surprise. You didn’t punish your body again did you?”

“No I am actually here to ask you a question.”

She sat down in her chair and tilted her head. “Shoot.”

“When Brigid O’Brien was here...did she say or do anything weird?”

She crossed her arms and turned her head. “That little girl called me short, so other than that not really. Though I did blank out for a while there, which I try not to do at work but it happened so…”

He put a hand on his chin and thought for a moment. “Mind if I try something quick?”

She shook her head and he put a hand on her forehead and delved into her mind, sifting through memories as he had done previously. He saw as Elizabeth downloaded something off the computer and hand the flash drive to Brigid. When he was done he released his hand and he stumbled slightly. Damn capacity limit. “Thanks for that. Do you remember what you downloaded of your computer that day?”

She pursed her lips and sat up. “Nah, I can’t remember…”

He sighed and figured that this was as good as a lead as he would get from her. “Thanks for your help.” As he turned to leave she grabbed on to his arm.

“Visit again soon.”

He gave a small nod and walked out, trying to piece together his next step.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Following the Breadcrumbs: Part Two

John stretched his arms, enjoying the recent break he had from his escort duties. “Man, the Walker guy is a life saver. But… probably should train a bit.” He walked over to the door of his room, and opened it to find Desmond about to knock on it. “Whoa, speak of the devil. ‘Sup?”

“Hello John. I have some questions I would like to ask you.”

“Hmm…” John frowned. “Look, man, if this is about Margaret, I already told everyone else, I don’t know where she went. I don’t even know why she’d leave, considering…”

He gave him a serious look, and put a hand on his shoulder. “John...this is important. I need to know what Margaret was doing before she disappeared.”

“She, uh, she was asking a bunch of questions.” John rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “She seemed to be worried about Brigid for some reason. Like someone was out to get her. That’s why I don’t understand why she’d disappear. No one likes babysitting. No one except her. She loved that kid.”

“Did she say anything specific before she left? Did she say she was seeing someone or going to do something?”

“She, uh…” John thought hard, Desmond’s intensity rubbing off on him. “She was asking about when we were watching Brigid, and she suddenly got up to get something from the rec-room for her. I just figured she did it ‘cause she liked the kid, but she acted like there was more to it. She also mentioned something about someone following Brigid, and… something about a suspicious scientist, who decided not to report… something. I don’t know, she was really frantic.”

“Well I already talked to the Jessica but who was this person following her…” He muttered. “Thanks John, you really helped a lot.”

John pointed to the computer at the end of the room. “You can check her computer. They didn’t find anything before, but maybe you’ll see something they didn’t.”

He thanked John and walked to the late Margaret’s computer. Lucky for him there was no password required and he looked through the files. The only problem was that there were no files to go through. He looked at the empty folders and noticed that there was something in the recycling bin. Clicking open the file he read it meticulously to make sure he didn’t miss anything. “My god…”

<My investigation into the strange going-ons around Brigid has led me time and time again towards the laboratories. It is my belief that someone, possibly a spy, has tried to manipulate Brigid into assisting them, likely for the purpose of sabotaging the base. All clues point to a single scientist, and I have little doubt in my mind she is behind this. How else would young Brigid gain access to the labs without anyone knowing, unless it was an inside job. I was fooled before by her sob story, by her claims of not remembering, but everything points to her. I need to tell the Commander before it is too late, but should I fall, I can only hope that someone finds out about that green-haired woman and stops her before she can harm that poor child.>

“If this is true then that means…” But wait. This doesn’t make sense. I saw her memories...I know that those couldn’t be manipulated could they? Whatever the answer was there was one thing that was clear, and it was that Margaret was pointing the finger at Jessica and Alexia… Wait a minute... “How could this be true? There is no way Jessica or even Alexia for that matter could be agents. They are too...well, not secretive.” Whatever he thought he had to report this to Morrigan, no matter his own bias was.

……………………………...

Morrigan slowly read the file Desmond had recovered from the computer, her face turning redder and redder as she read it over and over again. “I… I…” She slammed her fist on her desk, and a whiskey glass bounced off it, shattering against the floor. She practically smashed the intercom and shouted, “Get a security force to Jessica Lockheart’s room now. I want her in custody.”

Desmond looked down at the floor and shook his head. He clasped his hand around the Commander’s arm and looked her in the eyes. “You need to hear the full story Morrigan, I need to tell you something.”

Morrigan’s eyes darted towards his hand, as if to try and destroy it with an evil look. “What ‘full story’?”

He pulled her away from the intercom and braced himself for the oncoming pain. “You need to see this.” He put a hand on her forehead and transferred the memory that he saw from his connection into Jessica. After his hand dropped away he fell to his knees with a splitting migraine. I really pushed it this time, this hurts like hell!

Morrigan rushed around the desk and knelt besides Desmond. “Oh, God, don’t… don’t push yourself.” As she helped Desmond to a chair, she went over the images in her head. “I… I saw her helping Brigid up.” She shook her head. “So it looked like she was helping Brigid. But I also saw her sneaking Brigid out. And if my daughter was in the labs, and looked injured, why wasn’t I informed? Why wasn’t anyone informed?”

“I-I don’t know for sure, but when I talked to her she didn’t even know that Brigid was your daughter. I am not saying she is completely free of suspicion but it is something to keep in mind. Plus I know how Jessica can be. I don’t think she would mean any harm onto her.”

Morrigan slowly nodded. “I… a-alright. I… promise, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll be impartial. But she still needs to be taken into custody, at least until this is sorted out.”

He nodded and rubbed his head as his pulse drummed in his ears. “That is all I ask. There is something off in that note to me...I don’t know what it is but I feel that there is something large at play here.” He rubbed his forehead and remembered something important. “This may be a bad time but Jessica has a boyfriend in India. It’s Modya, I think he should know at some point.”

Morrigan shook her head. “He’ll have to remain in the dark for now. I can’t risk this effecting his performance out there, especially with the main fighting underway.” She patted Desmond on the back. “Go get some rest, alright? I’ll keep you posted. But you’ve obviously over extended yourself.”

“I just can’t help but feel what we are doing is wrong. There is something else...something that we are over looking. Anyways, I will try to sleep. If I am going to protect Brigid I do need to be at full strength.”

Morrigan nodded in agreement. She watched as her unsure soldier walked out, and sat down at her desk. She rubbed her temples in frustration. As her anger slowly subsided, she couldn’t help but agree with Desmond that something was off. She had spoken with Ms. Lockheart, both Ms. Lockhearts, and couldn’t believe they were capable of something like this.

“Commander?” A soldier asked in front of her, causing her to jump.

“What… what is it?” The Commander asked slowly, sadly.

“The suspect is in custody. She didn’t resist. We also searched her room.”

“And… did you find anything?”

The soldier reached into his pocket, and placed a large revolver and a single bullet onto the desk.

Dahlexpert

The fallowing was done by Dhalexpert & Zombiesplitter 53

Childish games

Room of Ashley, Catherine, and Cassia Van Dam.

Brigid stuck her tongue out in consentration as she made sure to color within the lines. She sat in the middle of Cassia's room, on a play date with her new friend while Catherine watched them. Finished, she showed Cassia a picture of an unusual looking cat with red, beady eyes. "Look at Mr. Kitty! Isn't he pretty?"

Wow a cat with red eyes Cool, But then again I prefer my dogs. But this is very cool I never seen a Cat with red eyes before.

"Ms. Atka has a big doggy. His name is Taq." Brigid smiled. "But I have a cat name Shalquoir. Do... do you have any pets?"

"Yea I have a husky named Koba, He grew up with me and even let's me ride on his back. Though I guess all the others dogs are ours too so I think I have 22 dogs. but no cat's I don't think cat's like the snow.

"You have 22 doggies!" Brigid gave Cassia an excited look. "Where do you keep them all? How do you feed them all? Does your family have lots and lots of money?"

"Hum Hay mom do we have a lot of money?"

"Yes yes we do honey lots and lots of money."

Cassia turns back to Brigid "Yes I guess we have a lot of money but we live in our own cabin houses, We keep all the dogs in one of the cabins were every one feeds there doges. Although my aunty Scarlet must have other pets because she always cares buckets of meat to another cabin."

Brigid nodded. She smiled at Catherine, but her expression turned to confusion. "Um, Cassia, that's your mommy, right?"

"Yes and she's the doctor on the base here, she makes sure that every one is nice and healthy."

"Oh." Brigid scratched her head. "What about that other lady? She said she was your mommy."

"Yes she is my mommy to she's the one that gave birth to me."

"So you have... "Brigid shook her head. "Why do you have two mommies?"

"I don't know really my mom never explained to me how I was born, my mom tells me she will tell me when i'm older."

"Oh." Brigid shrugged. "Okay." She immediately turned back to her drawings, it never occuring to her to ask the woman watching them. Instead, she said, "I only got one mommy. But Carrie kept telling me to call her mommy. But daddy said I didn't have to. So I didn't."

"OU Well the person that's watching me isn't my real mom but she loves me regardless right mom?

Catherine get's up and knees down to Cassia."Of course I love you my baby girl I love you weather your mine or not." Catherine looks back at Brigid and looks back at Cassia. " Hum hay Cass why don't you show Brigid some of your drawings."

OK. Cassia pulls out her drawing book and shows Brigid a few of her drawing one of them is a buffalo and a picture of her dogs.

Brigid examined the childish drawings like a snob examing fine art. "These are pretty." She pointed at the buffalo. "Do you a pet... um, one of these too?"

"OU a buffalo um sometimes, but we motley treat them and heal there wounds and help them give birth there really peaceful animals.

"Wow, your home.sounds like a lot of fun." Brigid frowned. "I lived in a boring city before I came here. I only got to see animals in the zoo."

" Yea it can be fun sum times but my mom says that our great great great great grand parents built the village that we were in because they say it's a very great place to raise a family. But's living there is kinda like living on a farm we have to work every day to make sure every thing is OK. Even I have to work around the village but I mostly help with feeding the dogs or helping mom make medicine."

"Oh..." Brigid thought for a moment. "But... you get to play too, right? And watch movies? And have fun with your friends?"

"Oh yea I get to play in the snow with my family and my cousins and I get to watch TV the only time I work is if every on is to busy on bounties and I work only then. But I love working around the village it means I get to play around with the other dogs, and some time I get to see buffalo and pet them and play with there baby's to. MY work is very fun some times."

"You mommy... you're other mommy said you know how to fight." Brigid slowly drew a picture of horse as she spoke. "My mommy said little girls aren't supposed to fight, only grown-ups. Why did they teach you how to fight?"

"My mom says that I have to be ready for anything, and if she ever decides to take me to school she told me to defend my self and stick up to bullies. Have you ever been bullied?

Brigid shook her head. "No. But I was only in first grade for a little while before the space monsters blew up my school. Mommy said she wanted me to tell the teacher if someone picked on me. She said she used to fight bullies instead of telling the teacher, and she got in trouble, and that made Grandma and Grandpa sad. She said I shouldn't fight if I don't have to."

"Really because my mom tells me not to fight unless I have to, and not needlessly. Though i'm sorry to hear that when your mom fought it made your grandparent's got sad. But my mom is proud that I want to fight as a matter of fact my mom says that I can become what ever I want and she will help me along the way."

Brigid scooted close to Cassia, and practically whispered, "Did you learn how to use a... gun?

Dahlexpert

Childish games part 2

"My mom doesn't want me to us guns until i'm old enough to hunt. But since I've been deemed your body guard my mom is training to use guns, even though she doesn't want me to."

"Really?" Brigid scooted closer. "Did you get to shoot one?"

"Yes and it makes a very loud noise and it hurts my hand a little when I fire it."

Brigid looked between Cassia and her mother. "Can... can I..." her eyes glowed a faint violet, but she stopped mid-sentence, realizing how her mother might feel if she found out about this. So she simply smiled, and said, "That's cool." She looked back down at her drawings. "But I think I'll let the grown-ups fight. And you, if you want. I just want to draw."

"That's fine with me if you draw but I actually want to fight, I want to become a soldier like my mommy before she gave birth to me she said that she travailed all over the world. She seen every thing in the world even when she gave birth to me she took me to some of those places."

Brigid smiled. "That sounds like fun. I wish my mommy..." The smile slowly faded from her face. "She... she hasn't taken me to many places. I... I didn't get to see her a lot before I came here." She frowned, and her drawing slowed to a stop. "Sometimes I had to look at her picture to remember what she looked like. She plays with me now, but... but when her job is done..."

Cassia put's her hand on Brigid shoulder. "Don't worry i'm sure your mom would be with you even more when this is all over i'm sure your mom would play with you even more. Cassia put's her hand on Brigid hand and slowly draws for her." My mom before she gave birth to me she was travelling a lot and helping others, i'm sure that your mom want's to be around you to but her job keeps her busy and i''m sure that she 's enjoying playing with you."

"What if she sends me back to America?" Brigid slowly watched as Cassia moved her hand across the paper. "I... I love my daddy. But I don't want mommy to send me away again. I don't want to live so far away that I only get to talk with her on the phone." Brigid's expression turned grim. "Why does mommy not want me around? What if mommy and daddy don't live together because of me?"

Catherine get's up out of her chair and walks over to the two kids. Cassia why don't you show your friend pictures of the village to ease her mind."

Catherine turns to Brigid and put's her hands on her shoulder. "Now Brigid i'm sure your parent's love you very much, and i'm sure that your mom want to spend every second with you. So I want you after your done with Cass I want you to go and play with your mom or tell her how your felling can you do that."

Brigid looked up at Catherine, and slowly smiled. "Okay. I will." Her smile grew a bit brighter, and she added, "Mommy told me she always has time to listen to me."

Catherine smiles back at Brigid "Good to hear that your mom would listen to you and don't ever think that your mom doesn't want you around, i'm sure that she is loving every second that your hear."

Brigid nodded in agreement, and looked at Cassia's drawings, pointing out all the various parts of the village showed and asking about them.