RP XCOM: The Story of Defiance.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and Frostlich1228: “Gentle Sunset”

XCOM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
Holographic Recreation Room
1900 Hours, June 18th

Buniq sat ontop of a holographic rise, overlooking dusty desert plains as a sun was setting. She tapped her fingers against the rocky edge, watching the sun as it painted brilliant colors over the sand as it set. She laid back as darkness started to overtake the area, a small campfire illuminated her with shadows dancing beyond.

Ammelia walked up behind her, giving her a smile and a wave. “ It must be beautiful out here… I’ve never been in a desert before so I wish I could see it...”

Buniq smiled slightly, though her happiness at seeing her friend was tempered by the fact that only one of them could truly appreciate the landscape. “H-Hi, Ammelia…”

Ammelia sat down next to her, holographic sand clinging to her blond hair. “Do you notice something different about me?”

“Y-you’re walking a-again…” Buniq responded.

“Mmhm.” Ammelia nodded happily, “I should be clear to fight again in a few more days!”

“A-as long as y-you feel up to it,” Buniq said with a hint of worry. “I-I wouldn’t w-want you to get hurt a-again.”

“There’s always going to be some risk, but my friends need me out there…” Ammelia replied, looking out into what was essentially a blank space for her.

Buniq nodded, and sat up slowly, stretching to try and keep from being lethargic. “W-were you looking f-for me?”

“I just wanted to spend some time with you.” Ammy said blushing a little bit at her own words.

Buniq tilted her head slightly at Ammelia’s expression. “S-something wrong?”

She coughs into her hand awkwardly, “It’s uh… it’s nothing!”

“I-If you say so,” Buniq said slowly. “S-sorry that you can’t see the s-simulation…”

“It’s okay, I can still hear the sand blowing in the wind. The cries of the hawks. The howling of the coyotes… I don’t need to see it for it to be beautiful.”

Buniq nodded. “T-that’s good to h-hear…” The hybrid blinked as the sun set completely, her night vision taking over, and her eyes glowed a soft, predatory yellow.

“I’m debating whether or not to go to India when I’m able to fight again… I’d like to go and save some civilians but I don’t want to leave all my friends here unprotected, what if Exalt attacks or something?”

Buniq shrugged. “I-I heard X-XCOM was getting s-some new t-troops soon…”

“Yeah,” Ammelia added, “I hope they know what they’re getting into.”

Buniq just nodded slightly, not feeling very knowledgable about these sort of things. “O-oh...they did f-fix the thing that I n-needed fixed after you saw m-me earlier…”

“Are you… Ready to tell me what it was?” Ammelia asked, trying not to sound demanding.

“A-as long as y-you won’t be s-scared…” the clone said hesitantly.

“I could never be scared of you Buniq…” she said sweetly.

Buniq took a deep breath. “Alright…” she pulled up her right sleeve, revealing a raised portion on the upper half of her arm from wrist to elbow. On the wrist, there was a small biomechanical ‘hatch’ of sorts. The hybrid shakily closed her fist, and the hatch opened, a chryssalid claw stretched out to full length in a flash.

“Woah…” Ammelia exclaimed, “That’s really cool… It reminds me of something from my old D&D campaigns…”

“W-what’s that?” Buniq asked in confusion.

Ammelia smiled at how nerdy she sounded a minute ago, “Don’t worry, it’s just a game I played back home.”

“W-what in it reminded you of m-my c-c-claws?” the hybrid asked.

“Well, if you really want to hear it.” Ammelia inhaled, “There was a sword you could find in the game and it was much better than all the other weapons you could get by that point. However, after using it for about a day or two, the person with the sword would realize that it was fusing with their arm and would need to seek out an expert on magical weapons to try and cure it. I remember my friend Mariella just letting the sword fuse with her arm and never seeking help. I remember she told me ‘Why would I ever get rid of such an awesome sword-arm!’.”

“W-well...the s-scientists told me that th-they couldn’t be removed a-at all...and I h-have four…” Buniq had the blade slide back into her arm. “I-I have to be c-careful not to h-hurt someone a-accid..acciden...accidentally.”

“Well, I think they’re pretty!” Ammelia added.

“Y-you do?” Buniq asked in surprise. “E-everyone else w-was afraid of t-them...even if they were n-nice to me..”

“I know you’d never hurt me with them, so why be afraid?”

“T-they come out w-when I g-get s-scared too…” Buniq explained.

“As long as I’m here, you won’t need to be scared… I’ll protect you.” Ammy replied softly.

Buniq smiled slightly. “T-thank you…” she said quietly.

Ammelia rested her head on Buniq’s shoulder, looking out over the cliff. “It really is wonderful out here…”

Buniq’s face tinged slightly red at how close Ammelia was. “Y-y-yeah…” she said. “I-I hope you c-can s-see for y-yourself s-someday…”

“Maybe when my father repairs my eyes we can sit right here like we are now and truly enjoy the scenery…” Ammy said with a sigh.

Buniq nodded. “I-I’m sure he’ll figure it out…”

“And when he does… I want to see what you really look like too…” The blonde looked up at Buniq.

The hybrid nodded shakily. “I-I might be a l-little scary…”

“No you won’t… Not if you are as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside…” She said assuringly.

“Y-you’re too n-nice...you b-barely even knew me until a f-few days ago…” Buniq protested.

“You’re one of the nicest people I’ve ever met Buniq… I’m not just saying that… It’s true…” Ammelia explained.

Buniq looked away, embarrassed at in how high of an esteem Ammelia seemed to hold her.

“You’ve been through so much in such a short time and you are still so kind. You deserve a little happiness…”

“I-I guess…” Buniq responded. “I-it’s just hard to l-learn how to l-live, I guess…I-I’ve only d-done it for a-about a week…”

“Well, my bodyguard and my dad taught me how to live, maybe I could try and teach you… Would you like that?” She asked, sitting upright again.

“W-what do you mean?” Buniq asked. “W-would you show m-me things n-normal people d-do?”

“I’ll try, if you have any questions about anything… just let me know…” Ammelia answered.

“I-I will. Y-you’re a good friend, Ammelia…” Buniq whispered.

“Yeah, you too…” she whispered back as they continued to look over the cliff at the rocky canyon below.

DarkGemini24601

Have a Little FaithElene Exalt (and Vee)

EXALT Headquarters, Undisclosed Location
1000 Hours, June 18th, 2018
Subject 157’s Quarters

Vee looked around her room, admiring her handiwork. There were posters from all sorts of action movies and shows splayed out on the walls. Various weapons sat on racks or holsters as well, creating a curious mix of bedroom and armory. “Perfect,” 157 muttered just as a knock came on the door.

“Vee, do you have a few minutes?” Elene asked calmly.

157 swung the door open dramatically, and then sat down on her bed. “Of course I do. There’s not much to do around here other than train, watch movies, or listen to Viktor bitch about failed ploys to undermine XCOM.”

Elene raised an eyebrow, and sat down in a chair, turning it to face her sister. -0’s expression quickly became serious. “I wanted to ask you about the man you killed.”

Vee frowned. “Again? Look, I said I’m fine. He was an ass anyway…”

“I have to wonder if you really are fine…” Elene began.

“You wouldn’t understand!” Vee shouted suddenly. “You’ve never had to kill…” she trailed off.

“I understand the consequences, physically and ethic-”

“And that’s the problem,” Vee pointed a finger at Elene. “You always look at things so cold and clinically. Taking a life…isn’t like that. You rob someone of their future…and take them from their loved ones…”

Elene was silent.

Vee’s expression softened somewhat, but her determined expression and adamant tone were unchanged. “Not everything can be understood through calculation and hypothesis alone, Elene. Did Desmond make you upset about this stuff? If he did, I swear I’ll bash his face in…” Vee punched a fist into her palm menacingly.

Elene shook her head. “Not really…he started the line of thinking, but Markus implanted doubts into my confidence…”

“Not to side with them, but you are resistant to advice, you know.” Vee sighed. “Look, in all honesty, the guy I killed didn’t deserve to die.

“Markus stated that not everyone is wholly good or evil,” Elene interjected.

“And that’s obvious enough that you already know that.”

Elene nodded. “I explained to him that I would kill whoever I had to in self-defense or for you three.”

Vee got up and stared down Elene. “And that statement makes the whole ‘I don’t trust anyone’ spiel bullshit. You trust us, and you trust Avanix.”

“I…I have good reason to, though…”

“So you do, and if you tried, you could find reasons to trust other people. It sure sounded like David is one of those people.” Before Elene could say anything else, Vee added with a finger raised, “So don’t give me the moody and broody stuff. You’re not Batman. You’re a scientist whose passion is in knowledge. I’m not saying you have to understand everything, but you can learn to trust other people.”

“I just…”

“Don’t wanna end up like Lusett?” Vee shook her head. “Mother only had Eve to protect her…even if we are betrayed for putting faith in others, even if XCOM remains our enemy…we can make it. I know we can.”

There was a tangible pause. Then, Elene slowly nodded. “I will try.”

Vee grinned. “There is no try, only…”

Elene gave Vee a disapproving look, silencing her.

“Oh, fine,” the warrior muttered. “But give Markus some credit; I think he was only trying to help. And he seems like someone we could trust, save for the sensitive stuff.” Kinda cute, too, I guess.

Elene’s right eyebrow began to rise. “Vee? You have an expression that can simply be described as ‘mischevious’.”

Vee turned away from Elene. “OH, its nothing.” I may have just figured out part of the reason why he talked to her. I mean, he’s trapped in this base with a bunch of mindless male clones and only 3 girls. One of which acts like a workaholic zombie and doesn’t talk to him much. “Heh…”

I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not, Elene mused.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53
Changing of the Guards

Brigid quickly ran down the hallway, the sound of the angry soldier not to far behind her. “Come back, you little brat!” Brigid only ran faster, and ducked down a hallway. She noted a man walking into a room a few feet away, and raced forward, as fast as her little legs could carry her. She ducked into the room moments before it closed, and pressed her ear against the door. “I can’t believe this,” she could hear on the other side. “First that brat in engineering, and now this? Why do they keep sticking me with these kids.”

As the grumbling voice disappeared down the hallway, Brigid whispered, “I think we lost him, Mr. Kitty.” After a few moments, she frowned, and raised her voice a bit. “Mr. Kitty? Where’d you go?”

Desmond stopped dead in his tracks when he was walking towards his computer and turned around slowly, raising an eyebrow at the girl near the door. “Brigid what are you doing?” He asked the small blonde girl.

She yelped, and spun around. “M-Mr. Walker!” She looked past Desmond, realizing that she had no idea where she was. “I’m, uh… hiding…”

“Hiding from what exactly?” He thought for a moment and chuckled softly. “You eluded your guards again didn't you?”

Brigid pouted, and crossed her arms. “I don’t like the new soldier man watching me. He yells too much. I want Margaret back. She was nice to me.”

“What happened to her? Not like one of the soldiers to just go AWOL…” He shook his head and brought up two chairs towards one of the side desks. “More importantly, why is it that you get all the stuck up guards?”

Brigid shook her head, her golden locks tossing to and fro. “I don’t know. I think the new soldier man isn’t a very good soldier, though. He kept complaining that everyone is to hard on him, or something.” Brigid walked up to Desmond and sat in one of the chairs. Her expression turned grim, and she looked to the floor. “And… I don’t know what happened to Margaret. Nobody can find her. And no one tells me if they have any ideas.”

“Well if I learn anything I will be sure to tell you first. I can try and help but you know...duty calls.” He put a hand on the girl’s head and rubbed it around a little. “Don’t worry about the guard. You can stay here for now. He just doesn’t know how awesome you are yet.” He told her trying to bring the girl’s mood up.

Brigid smiled at him, but there was still a sadness in her eyes. “Do you… do you think it was something I did. Maybe I did something wrong, or she was mad at me. Maybe she didn’t want to watch me anymore, and they just don’t want to tell me.”

Desmond sat back and scratched his stubble he was growing recently. “I don’t think it was you Brigid. From what I have heard about her from the bar is that she wasn’t one to just skip duty. Besides it is not like you can remain lost in a base this size for long. I am sure some details will pop up soon.”

Brigid’s smile widened a bit. “Thanks Mr. Walker. You’re really nice.”

“You don’t have to be so formal Brigid. I bet you would be irked a bit if everyone called you Miss O’Brien all the time.” He smiled sweetly at the girl and got up to go to his computer. “You can hang around for a while if you want. Ryan, my friend is in India and my...other friend is working at the moment so a fresh face is welcome.”

“Okay.” The young girl climbed off her chair and approached Desmond. Her head darted to the side for a moment, as though she had seen something. She then walked to Desmond’s side and watched as he typed. “What are you working on? Mommy said you were a soldier, right?”

“That is correct but I am helping with some sensitive matter that only someone like me could do. I guess you could say I am part soldier, part engineer, and part scientist…”

“Wow.” Brigid watched him with authentic wonder. “You must be busy all the time. Do you ever get to play with your friends?”

Desmond smirked and shook his head. “I am not as busy as you would think. The stuff that I work with is very touch and go so I can’t constantly work on it, so I have a good amount of free time.”

“What is touch and go mean?” Brigid scratched her head.

Right she is six... “It means that I work with it as it comes along. I can’t sit down and work on it like the wonderful pictures you draw.”

Brigid smiled, her youth making her easy to flatter. She watched the screen, and pointed at it. “Is that for your metal arm?”

He pointed at his project. “This no, this is just some side project I decided to work on.” He stood up and snapped his fingers, causing the blue 3D model to appear. He looked back at Brigid and swiped to the left causing it to spin and when he expanded his hands the blueprint burst into all of it’s parts. “This is what I am working on.”

“Cool.” Brigid’s eyes danced around as she took in the hologram, the images far too complex for her to understand. “I wish my school had something like this. Then I…” Brigid, looked to the side of the room again, and then looked up at Desmond and asked. “Um, Mr… Desmond, can I have a c… a copy of the blueprints so I can read them?”

He smiled but it was only for a second. “Sorry sweetie. Sunny would kill me if I gave this to someone younger than even her. Besides, what would you do with blueprints for an arm?” Desmond smiled at the thought of Brigid making her own metal arm to snuggle with when sleeping but his smile faded as he felt something off in the room.

“I… I don’t know. Just to look at.” Brigid had the expression of one unsure about her own wants. She frowned and looked away. “Why?” She mumbled under her breath. “He said no. Don’t be bad.”

Desmond kneeled in front of Brigid and put a hand on Brigid’s shoulder. “What are you mumbling about?” He jolted back as if he touched a hot stove and looked at Brigid with a worried face. What was that? It almost felt like…

Brigid returned his worried look. “Are you okay, Mr. Desmond? I’m sorry if I upset you. You don’t need to give me the blueprints. I was just asking.”

“No Brigid it is not that it…” He sat down in a chair and wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. “Brigid I need to ask you something very important. Do I have your word you won’t lie to me?”

“Um…” Brigid nodded slowly. “Mommy says good girls don’t lie. So I try to never lie.”

He rubbed his hands together and opened them in her direction. “Have you been feeling unusual lately? As if you could do stuff you couldn’t do before?”

Brigid shook her head. “No… I don’t think so.” She placed her hand on her head. “But sometimes, I get a headache, and I don’t know why. But it always goes away quickly.”

“Alright, that is normal I guess. I know I get more than a few headaches now and again.” Elizabeth. “I just want to make sure you are okay. I do have a question for you Brigid, and I am curious about your answer.”

“Okay, I…” She frowned, then shook her head. “Go ahead, Mr. Desmond.”

“You said you didn’t like your newest guard right? So how about I ask to get you someone you are more familiar with?”

“Really?” Brigid smiled brightly. “Okay! Who?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Think about that one Brigid...I know you are a smart girl.”

Brigid thought for a moment. “Umm… I’d like for you or Ms. Atka… but your too busy, right?”

“As I said before, I have some free time on my hands. Besides, I see you got an eye for mechanics...I might show you a thing or two.” /And I am hoping my gut is wrong./

Brigid’s eyes lit up. “Alright. If…” She flinched slightly, and muttered, “No, I want to.” She smiled again and said, “If it’s okay, then I’ll ask mommy right away.”

“You do that. In the meantime I believe that I am not doing anything at the moment and I am a little hungry, but eating alone is so boring. I wonder who I could take with me to get something.” He stated looking around as if Brigid wasn’t there. “Anyone at all…” He added trying to be as obvious as possible.

Brigid giggled, and grasped Desmond’s hand. “You can take me silly.” She pulled at Desmond’s arm, weakly trying to pull him along. She looked to the side of the room one last time, and stuck out her tongue.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53: “Interrogations, Part 1 [Sectoid]”

X-COM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
Secondary Laboratory, Primary Alien Containment Facility

Alexia slowly made her way into the new, expanded Alien Containment Facility. After the success with gaining information from the Thin Man named Dante, the lab boys had decided to keep around some of the other aliens as well. Alexia wasn’t sure if she was allowed to be there, but Jessica was, and for some reason, the guards couldn’t tell them apart.

The young lab tech walked up to the first cell, and looked at the large-headed alien within. Flipping a switch on the controls, she cleared her throat, and said, “Hey there. I was told this thing could let you talk to us. Something about translating psionic energy and synaptic readings into speech. That true?”

I assume so.
I assume so,” came an artificial-sounding voice from the speakers. “Is this what a voice would be like? Interesting.

“Yeah, kinda hard to talk without a mouth, huh?” Alexia smiled. “How do you guys eat, anyway?”

The Sectoid seemed to consider its response for a moment, and then decided it would not matter to tell the human. It was bored, anyway. “Nutritional infusion.

“Cool, cool. Little boring, but cool.” Alexia leaned forward. “So… you gotta a name? Or you just another number? Heard you guys usually don’t even get enough freedom to have names.”

This one’s designation is India-12, or ‘I-12’.” the Sectoid intoned.

“I-12?” The scientist scratched the back of her head. “Well… guess it’s better than just calling you sectoid. So you gotta a story? The tech boys say you’re kinda laid back. Like your somewhere in between defiant and too apathetic to care.”

I-12 was created specifically as a scientist rather than a light infantry trooper.” A pause. “...I ran out of options for escape when releasing an army of clones did not work out. This is a remarkable chance to study humans, even if it goes nowhere.” I-12 considered her previous question.

I was not unique, as it is apparent you realize we are clones. However, the Thin Man you captured seemed to take me in. Despite being equivalent to the others. Perhaps he illogically found me more useful than the others.” The Sectoid shrugged.

“Is that so?” Alexia scratched her chin. “From what I’ve heard, he isn’t the kind to take to anyone. Maybe you were just the best. Clone or not, experiences are different. Maybe he just needed you. And besides, you’re alive, right? Captive, but alive. I say that puts you above the other Sectoids, even if it’s just because you got lucky.”

True. I am not skilled with the more technical sciences. The ‘Interface’ was the work of others. But I did aid in the processing of creating [HTS] B-2. The others might have lost that particular test subject without merging the biology correct.

“Well, there ya go… wait, which was B-2?”

Unabbreviated, [Human Test Subject] Buniq-2,” I-12 replied.

“Oh, yeah… ya did a number on her.” Alexia shook her head. “Look, I’m not gonna go off on you. There are plenty of other people here to do that for me. I’m sure my sister would be one of them. But… what goes through your head when you do something like that? I mean, some animal test subject is bad enough. But even if you don’t have a high opinion of us, human’s are still sentient beings, right? Messed up, if you ask me.”

I-12’s large eyes revealed little on their own. “I am detached, I suppose. I do not kill test subjects personally. For instance, [HTS] B-1 was killed by Samuel’s hand, not mine. I find the process of ‘harvesting’, which your soldiers no doubt witnessed, wasteful. The rest, such as genetic or psionic modification, and even the new idea of hybrids, is simply science. Humans are above animals, but I served for progress and science. Primarily the latter, since our masters do not explain their designs to one such as myself.

“I… guess that’s as satisfactory an answer as I can expect. At least there is something resembling care for another peoples.” Alexia leaned in close. “Word of advice, buddy. We humans are kinda squeamish about that kinda thing. I’d suggest playing down the experiment for science, and playing up the ‘I hated wasting people on harvesting’. You’ll last longer. We have a thing about life being precious, even that of our enemy, but that won’t last long if you piss off a soldier with an itchy trigger finger who is friends with someone shining their brand new scalpel.”

...noted. The longer I live, the longer I can research your curious species. And to that end, I do have value to you. After all, I know B-2 better than your scientists could. Some of the features that were not completed and thus pose a risk to her, such as the full plating extensions, I could work towards correcting and completing. And I am sure you are aware that one cannot have the ‘other’ half removed,” I-12 explained.

“So I’ve been told. I’ll pass that along to the others. They know you’re useful, you’ll keep a pulse.” Alexia nodded, and headed off towards the next cell. “In the meantime, my Big-Headed friend, keep the peace, and try and relax.”

Understood. I do wonder what it would have been like if I began on their side. Though, to be contrary, B-2 would not have been created. An interesting dilemma.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53: “Interrogations, Part 2 [Muton]”

Alexia approached the cell containing their largest captive with a bit more caution, her instincts telling her to be afraid of the imposing alien despite the cell separating them. Hitting the switch to open up a dialog, she slowly said, “Hey, um… big guy. You can… can communicate, right?”

“I can?” Ogedei asked in his own language, though his thoughts were interpreted into English. The Balmadaar seemed unnerved by this initially. “Strangely, I prefer mind-speak…”

“Sorry, not psychic.” Alexia smiled sheepishly. “So, uh… I heard you kinda turned traitor. You see you guys were losing, and decided to jump on the winning side, or something?”

The Balmadaar shook his head. “Made a warrior’s promise to prisoner, Nouja. If there was chance for human victory, Ogedei would help free her.”

“Really? Interesting.” Alexia twirled a green lock of hair. “Kinda strange. Tells me you aren’t exactly happy, being on their side. Though you aren’t the first one to feel that way.”

“If Balmadaar had their way, would be on home-sphere leading previous life. We did not join by choice...though many use hunger for battle as distraction from defeat and subjugation.”

Alexia bit her lip. “Yeah… sounds like it sucks,” she said matter-of-factly. “So… Balmadaar, huh? We call you Mutons, though I’ve never been sure why. I like your name better. It sounds… I don’t know, powerful.”

“We are warriors and hunters, after all. Not too unlike your ‘Inuit’ somewhat,” Ogedei said proudly.

“So, uh… Ogedei, was it? What happens now?” Alexia grinned. “You wanna fight for us now?”

Ogedei grunted in amusement. “If possible, but I understand it’s unlikely. At least, grateful to have saved Nouja and others from vile beings that tormented them.”

Alexia raised an eyebrow. “So… how do we know this isn’t some trick? You know, the base is lost, so they have you act as a traitor, then when we drop our guard around you, you nail us.”

“Even if a warrior’s bond is not enough, I believe Nouja trusts me. Though caution is wise. My people are not treacherous like tall ones…even if some are brutal,” Ogedei tried to explain.

Alexia raised her hands in defense. “Hey, don’t get me wrong. I was just saying.” She shrugged. “And who knows. With all these new psionic people on base, and the possibility of more once they finish that room downstairs, maybe a few could read your mind. And if you truly are trustworthy, who knows?” She grinned again. “Not that we would force you to fight. We aren’t your old bosses, after all.”

“If I had the chance, I would be cowardly not to,” Ogedei boasted. “Vengeance and protecting a place with some like what Balmadaar once were is honorable.”

Nodding, Alexia headed off to her final stop. Over her shoulder, she said, “If I see that girl you helped, I’ll let her know what we talked about here. And keep your hopes up. Our Commander’s a bit of an odd one. I could see her suiting you up in some over-sized X-COM armor.”

Ogedei seemed content with that. And perhaps I will get chance to put an end to insulting copies of our greatest leaders which they dare to use as elite troopers.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53: “Interrogations, Part 3 [Thin Man]”

Hitting the intercom on the final cell, the young lab tech smiled and asked, “Samuel, right? Mind if I call you Sammy?”

“You would be insuring your demise should I find a way to break free,” the Thin Man said coldly.

“Whoa, scary.” Alexia held up her hands in mock fear. “Kind of a strange name, Samuel. You infiltrate somewhere where that name fits, like America, or is it just a really big coincidence that your people also use that name?”

“The landmass full of overconfident humans called North America. Though I was not saddled with such a boring task for too long,” Samuel said arrogantly.

“Yeah, you were such a big shot, huh?” Alexia tried to hide a grin. She had always loved messing with smug individuals. “Pretty good for a Thin Man. I’m surprised someone as big as one of those Sectoid Commanders would have you as his second.”

“Oh, believe me, so am I. Though my masters are partial to psions, of course. If I had my way, he would bow to me while approaching like one of the emperors of your history,” Samuel growled.

“Yeah, sucks to be under appreciated.” Alexia twirled her hair, giving a look of mock sympathy. “The psionics get all the fun. So… you guys can’t use it at all? Surely, they tried to give it to you, to make you even more useful then you already are. If that’s even possible.”

Samuel clammed up quickly, realizing he had said far more than he intended to. Damn female…

Noting his silence, Alexia couldn’t help but smile. “But hey, maybe if you’re good, we can try to give you psionics. Then maybe you’ll be as important to them as we mere humans are. I mean, you must hate knowing something like that makes us superior… at least in their eyes.”

Samuel ground his teeth. “Like I told the cowardly human that spoke to me before, you will regret those words when my masters decide to wipe your little base off the face of this Earth. Though I may not survive, I will suggest they kill any family of yours as well. I can’t say the same for the male. I already killed his brother, after all.”

Alexia pouted, crossing her arms. She knew that if it was Jessica, she would have lost it, either backing off in fear, or yelling in anger. But the Thin Man’s anger only made it more entertaining for her. “Oh, now why do you have to be so mean. I was just trying to help you. Why can’t you be nice like the other Thin Man we have here?”

The lieutenant commander narrowed his eyes. “What...did you say?”

Hmm… caught his attention with that one…“We have another Thin Man in another part of the base. He was a bit tough at the start, but once we showed him a bit of mercy, he decided to share a few secrets with us. He’s actually kinda nice to talk to. You should try to be more like him, ya big meanie.”

Treasonous snake...who in the universe would just… “Hmph. Must be defective.”

“Defective?” Alexia thought for a moment, then shrugged. “Well, he turned on you, and that Muton turned on you. And that Sectoid isn’t your biggest fan, either. It sounds like you have more defects than otherwise. Kinda makes you the defect, huh?”

The Thin Man spat poison onto the glass in front of Alexia, and she jumped back. Her face started to turn red and her body started to shake.

Samuel grinned sideways before fixing his jaw. “For a human who talks so big, at heart you are just as much of a coward as the other one.”

Unable to hold back any longer, Alexia burst into hysterical laughter. No matter how much she tried, she couldn’t stop. After a few second, she dropped to her knees, clutching her sides on pain and desperately trying not to roll around on the floor as she cracked up. “Oh… oh, God. I can’t take it…”

“Or perhaps...insane. There is no hope for this species, I think…”

Alexia wiped away a tear as she struggled to regain her composure. “Yeah.. hehe… we’re kinda insane. Maybe even crazy enough to win this one.” She placed her hands on her hips, and smiled up at the tall alien. “You know, you might be a jackass, but I think we should keep you around for a while. Somehow, I feel like keeping you locked up like an animal is a more fitting punishment then a quick execution.”

Samuel, for once, could not find anything clever to say. This...monstrous...being…

“See you around, Sammy,” Alexia said, waving her hand and walking away. “You’re a funny guy. Don’t ever let anyone tell you different.”

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger & DarkGemini42601: “This Day Just Keeps Getting Better…”

Part 1

1730 Hours, June 19th, 2018
Markus Grathem’s Quarters

Subject Negative Zero sighed dejectedly, despite the necessity of what she was doing. The heiress raised a hand, and knocked on Markus’s door.

Markus opened his eyes and took out his ear buds to the I-Pod he had and he sat them down on his bed. When he heard the knock again he got up and opened the door. “Oh, hello Elene. Um...would you like to come in?” he asked with surprise.

“If that would be acceptable,” she responded smoothly.

“Just get in here already,” he said, sitting back on his bed, Riley looking up from his position on the end of it.

Elene walked in, standing not too far from the doorway. “I was made aware of the fact that I ought to apologize to you.”

Markus looked at her with skepticism and shook his head. “If someone had to let you know you had to apologize then it is not much of an apology now is it?”

The clone sighed. “Would you have prefered I not come at all?”

“I would have prefered we never had fought at all. You may not have realized it but I try really hard to try and be as friendly as I can with the imminent death threat hanging over my head and you basically shoved it back in my face Elene. That hurt.”

“I…” Elene tapped her side, trying to think of something to say. “I am unused to dealing with people. Though with the knowledge at my disposal, that is no excuse. I’m sorry, Markus.”

He sighed and scratched his head hard. “Well it is probably the best I am gonna get…” he muttered, “but I accept.”

Elene closed her eyes for a moment. You owe me for this, Vee. “You and Desmond weren’t entirely wrong. There are f-th-two people I do trust, and I will try to make that number increase in the future.”

Markus smiled lightly and he nodded his head. “That is what I wanted to hear from you. You are not alone in this battle Elene. Though I won’t be taking sides in your intercorporate battle with Viktor doesn’t mean that I can’t be there for you when you need it.” He reddened a little at how stupid that sounded and looked down.

Elene tilted her head slightly, looking Markus over. “Uh...Markus? Something the matter?” You and Vee act so strangely sometimes…

He shook his head and he looked over at Riley. Why do I get so nervous around any of these girls? “Um, uh no...I mean y-no. Nothing wrong.” Markus internally facepalmed himself.

A small smile found its way onto Elene’s face. “I believe that would be a contradictory statement.”

This whole situation is contradictory… “What are you smiling about?”

“Your behavior is amusing, I suppose,” Elene mused. “Though I am not always aware that I do smile. Vee finds it unnerving sometimes.”

“No! Um, I mean it suits you. You should do it more often.” Gah!

Elene raised an eyebrow. “Am I making you uncomfortable for some reason?”

Markus stretched out his arms. “Nope. It is not you, I mean it is you but not entirely…”

“...what?” Negative Zero simply said in profound confusion.

“I just imagined this going a lot smoother in my head.”

Elene shrugged. “Maybe if it were Vee talking. I don’t claim competence as a conversationalist.”

“I don’t want to know what Vee would be doing right now.” he said in a tired tone.

“Should I leave you be for now?” Elene asked. “I did not realize this would drain you like it did.”

“I am not really tired... This whole encounter is really wearing my confidence down.”

Elene tilted her head slightly again, this time in the other direction. “I apologize if I played a role in that.” She straightened herself, and turned to leave.

“It is not you, Elene! It is just that I...I…” He stammered out the last part, unable to say the words.

The Exalt heiress turned to look back at Markus. “You what? I did not catch the last part,” she asked calmly.
Markus shrugged and let out a huge sigh. I hope I don’t die because of this… Markus quickly walked up to Elene and before she could react he quickly kissed her. “That, just that! God...I just signed my death warrant…” he rambled on.

Elene’s eyes went wide, and her face reddened. “W...w…” she barely could say, unable to process what Markus had just done.

Riley covered his snout and when Markus saw that he fell on the bed. “What...did...I...just...do?” he stated slowly.

The clone put her hands over her face, breathing deeply to try and calm herself. “I-I...n-need a...a...a moment…” She disappeared around the corner quickly.

Vee glanced out from behind the other corner to where Elene had gone. That was quicker than expected. Hope he didn’t break her or something… With a sigh, Vee went after her ‘younger’ sister.

1800 Hours

“...where did she go?” Vee asked, sighing in frustration that she had lost Elene.

Lily pointed to Elene’s personal lab, her deadpan expression broken by a look of worry. “Is...she okay?”

“Oh, she’s fine. Just embarrassed, is all,” 157 reassured 156, and went down the flight of curving stairs to the smaller lab. She found Elene sitting at her desk, running her hand through her hair, her face still flushed somewhat. “Hey, are you okay?” Vee asked, walking over.

Elene looked up at her sister with a mixture of confusion and surprise. “Y-y-you saw that?”

“Guilty…”

“I...how am I s-supposed to feel?”

Vee sighed again, sitting down on a swivel chair and leaning on the back, facing -0. “...it’s really inconvenient that you didn’t really develop a working understand of these things, you know.”

“...t-that doesn’t help…” Elene muttered.

“Sorry. Look, I know its a lot to think about...but like you said, we can trust him. And I don’t see anything wrong with you having someone you can care about that much. You deserve some happiness.”

“Is that what...I’m supposed to feel? I’m just so confused by all of this...it’s not…”

“Something you’re capable of dealing with?” Vee shook her head. “Come on...you’re better than that. I remember a time when you didn’t smile at all, but now you do it regularly and consciously. You can learn to love someone too...if you’re comfortable with it, that is.”

“I’m not sure I can be comfortable right now…”

“Bad choice of words. If you are willing to.”

“I...I’m not sure…” Elene trailed off.

“You did seem happy to be talking to him. Not to mention, we really don’t have many options here, do we...between a bunch of clones of Viktor, and clones that are way too similar genetically. if you’re indecisive, I’ll just have to steal him,” Vee threatened with a grin.

“Y-you wouldn’t…”

“So you are interested?”

Elene took a deep breath, trying to regain her typical composure. “You aren’t going to be satisfied until I admit one thing or the other, are you?”

“Nope,” the soldier replied with an infuriating smile.

“Then fine...I am…”

“All I needed to hear,” Vee said. “Though if he does anything to hurt you, just call me, and I’ll make him into a pincushion...or...laser pincushion?” She started walking back up the stairs.

“...I would request that you don’t spy on me further, 157.”

Vee stopped for a moment, and chuckled. “No promises.”

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger & DarkGemini42601: “This Day Just Keeps Getting Better…” Part 2
1900 Hours

Markus sat on his bed nervously chewing on his homemade dog treats and was petting Riley’s head as he laid near by. He laid down next to the dog and closed his eyes. He shook his head and got back up and went in pursuit of Elene, to either apologize and beg for mercy or to be glad he acted on impulse. He found Lily sitting in her usual spot and he raised an eyebrow. “Uh, you know…”

Lily laid her head on her desk, looking up at Markus dejectedly. “Between you asking, Vee having an odd grin on her face, and Elene being out of sorts…” She gave up, and pointed at the room. “I request you don’t add to my headache.”

“Fair enough.” He walked into the room and looked for Elene, praying that Vee wasn’t near by.

Elene was sitting at her computer, though she was looking at the blank space where Avanix had been just a moment prior. She turned to look at Markus, and managed to keep her calm demeanor. “...hello…”

“Uh, hi. Vee isn’t hiding with a shotgun somewhere is she, ‘cause I don’t feel like biting the dust today.” he stated trying to lighten the mood.

“I do not believe so…?” Elene asked, seeming to only be half-talking to him with that particular statement.

157 is in the armory. You need not fear her presence, Avanix reassured the heiress.

“She is not.”

“Alright, so...what do we do now that,” he looked at Elene and then looked down. “after that?”

“I must admit, I do not believe anyone else has made me that flustered in the months I have been in existence…” Elene stated. She smiled slightly. “Impressive.”

“Thanks...I think.” He shook his head and sat down sighing. “So where do we go now?”

“Well…” Elene sighed. “If you do...love me,” she seemed to struggle with the word, “your decision to remain neutral seems a bit unusual…”

“Well, it is not like I am supplying his enemies with weapons. I intend to remain neutral...during work hours.”

“I can accept that. For my part, I cannot simply distrust you...after something like that. I am willing be less guarded around you, provided you can keep information from leaking to Viktor,” Elene explained.

“You won’t have to worry about him blurting it out.” Sora tuned in chipperly. “It is always so dull living in a cyberspace. Not really any good channels as you can imagine.”

Subject Negative Zero’s expression grew serious. “How...long have you been observing this room?”

“Ever since I saw you running from casanova’s room all red faced and flustered. Must admit I haven’t laughed like that since Italy but who doesn’t enjoy a little romance?” He spouted out with enthusiasm.

“...I don’t suppose you saw…”

This had piqued his interest. “Oh I did love.”

An angelic woman in mechanized armor materialized in the room, and sighed. “I suppose it was only a matter of time,” Avanix lamented.

Markus looked back and forth between Elene and the newly appeared Avanix. “The bloody ‘el…” It was one of the few times he let out his accent in it’s full glory.

“Now ain’t that a sight. I thought I was all alone and you kept this beauty from me? Need I remind you it is bloody boring being all alone with Viktor as your only companion? You just made my day.”

“I don’t think he enjoys companions. He tried to delete me, after all,” A.V.A.N.I.X stated, stretching her armored wings.

“Give him credit, he did create me. Though it was you I have to thank for my personality for the most part? It really got under his skin that his A.I turned out to be a smart ass.”

“I don’t think I mind that result,” Avanix said. “I suppose you understand how Elene and Lily control those drones now? I wouldn’t recommend having Viktor get rid of me...you’d have trouble without the original A.I.”

“I never said I planned to go to Viktor now did I. Do you know how boring it would be if I spoiled the surprise? I would rather have him find out at the right moment so I can see his face when he gets beat by a glorified calculator. Besides, I need a companion...hold up a sec, let me see if this works for me now that I know it exists.” After a second the hologram of Sora’s persona appeared next to Markus. “It is good to stretch the pixels every now and again don’t you agree Romeo?” He teased leaning on his shoulder.

“I don’t…”

“Of course you don’t, you are a meat bag.”

“Harsh.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Jessica typed some some final figures into the computer. She looked past it, towards the large pods in the center of the room. She was afraid of what they were for, knowing they were connected to that strange object they had found in one of the abductee rooms, and typing in figures relating to brain chemistry. She shuddered at the thought of turning people into psionics, just more weapons for the war. But there were already several people on base like that, and they seemed to be okay people, right? And besides, they were going to go through with this whether she liked it or not, so might as well make sure it is done right. Jessica went over all the figures and calculations again, despite it taking a while, and finally walked out an hour after her shift ended.

"Now what?" she mumbled to herself. She knew Ammelia was on the final stretches of her rehab, and Ellie mentioned trying to get her boyfriend to hang out with her tonight. Friend wise, that just left the two people in India, Sunny and...

"Modya." Jessica sighed deeply. Being alone was not something either she or Alexia enjoyed, but something could be said about how it spares you from even greater loneliness when someone you care for is gone. Jessica shuddered as she walked around, rubbing her arms as if fighting the cold in the relatively well-heated hallways. She was in enough anguish over the thought that he might not be coming back. But add to it some woman from his past giving him more grief, adding more baggage for him to handle, and Jessica felt sick to her stomach. It was no wonder she could barely sleep, and had eaten very little in the last few days.

Jessica looked up, and without even realizing it, had wondered over to the rec-room. Shrugging, she walked in and approached the bar. In a sad voice, she looked at the bartender and said, "Can I get something strong?"

"No." The man said flatly. At the scientist's confused look, he pointed an accusing finger. "You can't hold you liquor. I promised that boyfriend of yours I'd make sure you laid off the sauce." He quickly mixed a drink, mostly juice with only a splash of alcohol. "Here. This would have a hard time getting a child drunk, and it doesn't taste half bad. But I'll still be watching you."

Jessica considered for a moment if she should be insulted, but instead was flattered that this man, and through him Modya, were looking out for her. "Thanks. I'll be careful," she said, taking the drink and looking for someone to talk to. Her eyes fixated on a young, pathetic looking man in a security guard uniform, sitting at a table alone and staring sadly at his drink. "You okay," she asked sympathetically as she sat across from him.

"I've been better." The young man sighed. He looked up, and his eyes seemed to light up at the sight of the woman speaking with him, but quickly returned to their sad expression. "I'm... just so useless. Couldn't make the cut as a soldier. Don't have the brains for engineering or the labs. The best I can do is wonder the halls, looking for trouble and wishing I could be doing more."

"Well... have you tried taking the initiative, Mr..."

"Call me Rick." The depressed guard took a quick swig of his drink. "And yeah, twice. Bt both times, they stuck me with babysitting duty. I don't have the patience for kids. I have nothing against them, it's just... I can't stand having to push them to listen. And I know I'm capable of more then watching over some brats."

Jessica thought for a moment. "What if... those were tests? What if they wanted to see if you could watch those kids, and if you could they'd give you a bigger task?"

"Yeah." Rick smiled at the realization, but then dropped his head. "But then... that means I failed. Twice."

Jessica reached forward, placing her hand on his. "Then try again. Ask for something new to do, anything, and no matter what it is, do it with your all. Prove to them that you can handle the responsibility. And who knows? Maybe you'll surprise them." Jessica smiled brightly. "You might even surprise yourself."

"Yeah... yeah, your right! I'm gonna go ask for something right..." Rick stood up, wobbled, and sat back down. Pushing his drink away, he finished, "Um... as soon as I sober up." Looking into Jessica's eyes, he said, "Thank you..." He looked down at her name-tag. "...Jessica. Uh... do you wanna, I don't know... do something later?"

Jessica shook her head lightly. "Sorry, Rick. I've got someone already." At the sight of Rick's disappointed look, she added, "But that doesn't mean we can't hang out. He's not... at least I don't think he's the jealous type." Jessica wondered for a moment on that. She'd had jealous boyfriends before, and it was never pretty.

"I'd like that." Rick tried to stand up. "Better get something non-alcoholic to drink."

"Let me." Jessica walked over to the bartender, and asked for a couple ginger-ales.

Dahlexpert

Eva is in the training room in her third restriction, throwing punches and kicks at the punching bag. The hole time she is doing this she is wondering about EXALT and the alien base. She can't get what she saw at the alien base out of her head. She also can't EXALT out of her head ether. She understand what there doing or what there up to.

AHHHHHHhh Eva punches the punching bag off it's rack. Damn it Why can't I get stronger. I need more augmentations, I'm the only solder on this damn base with augmentations. I need more so I can finally ascend to become the perfect solder, and complete Lusset's goal for me. UGH I must ascend to the ultimate soldier, so I can finish Lusset research and prove that she did not die for nothing.

Eva feels her heart like it's about to explode. Eva grabs her chest in pain. No I will not let this control me any more I will not let... this Damn it. Eva falls to the ground and breaths slowly.

It's only a matter of time before this becomes a thing of the past. I need to go to the science wing and get augmented, but I need to talk to Jessica she is my doctor after all . Pulse I haven't talked to since I got augmented. Then again I haven't talked to any one since I got here well not for very long any.

I've been so focused on becoming the strongest and the ultimate solder, that I've lost sight on other things. Maybe if I was nicer to people I would I don't know what I would be. Sigh I've been so focused on the aliens EXALT and my own training that I lost sight of my humanity. Lusset would not want me to become just a gun.

Maybe I should try and be nicer to people, or at least give it a shot any way.

Eva get's up and leaves the training room.

Dahlexpert

The fallowing is a collaboration between(Dhalexpert & Darkgemini)

Two warriors of different races meet

Ashley walks to the science wing and knocks on its door. “Excuse me this is the the science wing of the base correct?

One of the scientists nods. “It is. What do you need?”

“I wanna talk to the Muton that was captured during the alien base raid, I wanna know why it went traitor and help us.”

“I...suppose we could let you do that. No harm in it. This way, miss.” one of them replies.

“Great.” The scientist escorted Ashley to where the Muton was being held. “So you're the alien that went traitor on it’s own people? Tell me, why would you betray your own race like that and for what reason?”

Ogedei regards Ashley for a moment. “The green-hair asked similar questions. Made warrior’s promise to Nouja, if humans were to come and win I would help. My people were conquered by the ones Samuel calls ‘master.’ I despise them, though others gave in and fight for thrill of battle alone.”

“Really how interesting tell me what does a Muton know about being a warrior? From what I’ve seen you all are a bunch of mindless brutes, but you said that most of your kind gave in to this. So how many of your kind defines this so called Master?”

“None of us lead this...the ones that do are unknown to all but the highest ranking for secrecy,” Ogedei explains. “And we Balmadaar are not ‘brutes’. Those of us that are...the blame lies in those that changed us. We were once proud nomads and warriors, living by a warrior’s code and honor. Tribal, not unlike your Inuit and other ‘Earth’ nomads. However, when they came...we banded together, but still lost. They killed our greatest leaders, made insulting copies, and subjugated any they deemed useful enough not to slaughter.”

Ashley's eyes widen “Wow, that’s very interesting... however. You think we humans don’t live by a warrior's code huh. Well you're looking at the leader of a tribe of mercenaries, my people pride themselves on honor, discipline, and respect. That’s what we live by, we constantly train ourselves to be stronger than any military on this planet by taking there skills and mixing them with our own. From the sounds of it your kind and my tribe don’t sound that different.”

“I did know humans had nomadic warriors, but to hear of tribe that would likely be one of best if they were Balmadaar tribe…” Ogedei gives his version of a chuckle. “Impressive. Your tribe likely the best humans have to offer.”

“Trust me I would to have my family my brothers & Sisters in X-COM taking down you aliens. However,the men & woman here are not my family, and some here are not as good as my family. However they they are enough to take down you aliens and your leaders as we have shown by attacking your base”.

“I was impressed by that as well,” Ogedei says, nodding. “Though disappointed the tall one still breathes.”

Ashley gets a confused look on her face. “Wait you mean the thin man? Because we captured on in the base and brought it here, it’s probably dead by now.”

“No, two have talked to, one recently,” Ogedei replies. “I would sooner see him be torn apart…”

“Well no matter what ,you're trapped in this pod, and can’t see them any way. But the main reason I’m down here is to learn more about your kind, it’s not often that I get to talk to an alien, but you seem to already answer my questions about your race. So answer me this, when the race that conquered your people came how long did it take them to capture you all.”

“I...am not sure. Their agents remind our defeat to weaken our resolve, but most do not know details. It was generations ago,” Ogedei says with a sigh.

“Really? January 14, 1679: My great ancestor died in the caribbean to the English military. December 23 1713: Another one of my ancestors died for saving a slave. I know each and every one of my great ancestors deaths, and I know them all by heart and they all died hundreds of years ago. And your telling me you can’t remember when your own race became slaves I call bull on that.”

Ogedei narrows his eyes. “That is because they keep our history from us, to add insult and to make us little more than killers. They do not want warriors, merely those that fight for death. That is why, should the opportunity come, I would fight to end our subjugation and the lives of those responsible.”

“Well I doubt that our Commander will let a Balmadaar fight along side us, however she may be desperate enough. Oh, who am I kidding that dream of yours fighting the people that in slaved you may not happen. But I can kill those of your kind that are nothing more than puppets, and then we will kill those that enslaved you.”

“I do not object to such, though if there is any chance to crush them with my own hands...I would gladly take it,” Ogedei finishes.

“Glad to hear that you liked my response, and I’m glad that an alien has some respect for my family and who knows if you do break out of here, just know that I will be more than happy to put you back here.”

“Not returning to them. I have no reason to attempt escape, unless you intend to keep me locked here until the end of time.”

“Well that may just happen mind you there are some sick scientist on this world, and if you're being transferred to them then by all means break out, just don’t kill any the soldiers here.

Ogedei chuckles again. “I like the way you think.”

“Ashley gets a smile on her face. “Well my family was founded by outlaws and pirates so being in captivity angers me. Ashley starts to leave the room.” I now leave you to ponder about how to kill that tall man probably next door to you”.

The Balmadaar warrior nodded, and did think entertain several different ways of ending Samuel Wilson’s life as he thought about the similarities between his people and humanity.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228

Telling Daddy

Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53

X-COM Headquarters, Somewhere in Siberia
Office of Commander O'Brien

Morrigan steadies herself for the difficult discussion ahead of her. It was one she should have had a while ago, but couldn't bring herself to have. With Ammelia's recovery nearly complete, however, she hoped her father might be a bit easier to reason with. She knew it would still be difficult. She knew first hand what a parents love and fear over their child could bring them to do.

She hit the appropriate switches on her keyboard, and waited for Dr. Cross to answer.

The Monitor flashes on showing David Cross sitting at is desk in front of his computer. As soon as he saw that it was Morrigan he turned around and yelled, "Mary! Hold my calls!"

David spun his chair back towards the screen, "Good morning Commander, it's a relief to be talking to you..."

"And you, doctor." Morrigan tried to give a genuine smile. "How are things in America?"

They seem to be fine..." David answered, "Alien Activity in America has dropped pretty sharply recently. I suppose you had something to do with that?"

"Yes, though don't count out the various local militarys. They've been doing all they can. Right now, we are assisting one in a large undertaking in Asia." Morrigan bit her lip. "You'll be happy to know... your daughter has been a big help to our effort. She's always... eager to help out, and give her all to the effort."

David smiled, "Yeah, that sounds like her, always wanting to help people... Speaking of Ammelia... How is she? I haven't heard from her in almost a month... I guess I'm starting to worry..."

Morrigan tapped her fingers, unsure how to word her thoughts. "She's... healthy. Now. Though she was injured in a mission. She's been recovering." Morrigan shook her head. Crap. That was probably too much at once.

His eyes widened, "I... Injured? How bad? What happened?"

"Ahem." Morrigan closed her eyes.
He'll find out everything eventually. Hiding things would only make trouble later on. "She was attacked by a robotic enemy, one that specializes in stealth attacks and constricting. It squeezed her, and caused quite a bit of damage, including to her... spine." Morrigan opened her eyes, and put on a weak smile. "But she's made a full recovery, I can assure you. She's on her feet and everything."

He covered his mouth with his hand while Morrigan was going over the details, "So you were able to repair all the damage to her spine? Was she in the hospital this whole time?"

"Repair... in a manner of speaking." Morrigan scratched her chin. "And yes, she's been recovering. In fact, she'd probably be up to speaking to you, if you want me to call her here. I'm not sure why she didn't call you herself, but I'm sure she had her reasons."

Please, call her up here... I want to see her..." David almost begged.

"And what do you mean 'In a matter of speaking'?" He added.

Morrigan hit her intercom. "Peggy, can you get Ammelia Cross in here?" To David, she said, "Her spine was pretty far gone. We were afraid that she might not have been able to move on her own, or at best, she'd have minimal movement though the use of implants. So I called in a specialist that knew of a procedure to give her back her full mobility by replacing her spine entirely."

"And you didn't inform me!? You just hired some specialist to replace my daughter's spine without even a single word to me!?", David's tone quickly filled with rage, his eyes staring daggers into Morrigan,

"With all due respect, Dr. Cross, I can not come to you for everything involving your daughter." Morrigan's tone became more serious, but still had a hint of sympathy. "I understand your anger, but what would you have done had we called you?"

"You could have at least let me talk to her! This isn't some little thing, my Daughter could have been crippled for life!" David replied, fury still in his voice.

Morrigan raised her hands defensively, as though expecting him to reach through the computer. "You're right. I'm sorry. I wish I could say you weren't contacted because it wasn't your decision, but to be completely honest, I was afraid of how you would react. We count on your funding and your research, and your continued support goes along way to holding on to the support of the American Council members. When Ammelia was hurt, I was afraid you would act harshly. Your rage now makes me believe I truely had cause to worry. I know first hand what a parent would do for their child, and to the people she felt were responsible for their injury."

"Commander... If you had just told me about it as soon as it happened... I would've understood... This is a dangerous project..." David explained. "But it's been a month... If your child was severely injured, how would you feel if they waited a month to tell you?!"

Morrigan started to respond, but fell silent. After a few moments, she simply said, "Your right. I... I don't know what to say." She shook her head. "There is nothing I can say."

A series of knocks was heard on the Commander's office door. Ammelia slowly opened it and inched her way in, looking at her father's face on the computer screen.

David looked back at her, relieved to see her standing there, healthy. "Oh sweetie... There you are... Are you alright?" He asked again, wanting to hear the answer from her mouth.

"I'm... I'm fine, dad..." She said softly.

In a sad tone, Morrigan practically whispered, "We were... talking about your injury. And my delay in informing him of it."

"We were both afraid of what you might do if you found out... I was scared you'd try and remove me from X-com..." Ammelia lowered her head shyly.

David looked her in the eyes, "Honey... I'd never do something like that... I know how important this project is to you... But if that operation had killed you... I don't know what I would've done..." Tears welled in his eyes, but he quickly wiped them away with his shirt sleeve.

"From the sound of things, we both underestimated you, Dr. Cross." Morrigan looked up at Ammelia. "It would seem you are well aware of the risks. But you respect your daughters decisions. As I said, there is nothing I can say that will convey how sorry I am. All I can do is assure you that I will not leave you in the dark anymore." She looked back at David, smiling sadly. "As you said, if something were to happen to my daughter, and I was left out for so long, I wouldn't like it. If anything, I would have had a worse reaction then you did."

"My close friend explained something to me before all this... He told me that Ammelia is an adult now and I should let her live the life she wants. I may not be able to wipe your face when you get mud on you, or spoon you medicine when you get a cold, but that won't stop me from worrying about you. It puts my mind at ease knowing your in good health, and if you aren't, I want to be there to make sure you get better... I love you sweetie..."

Tears started running down Ammy's face, "Yeah... I love you too dad..."

Morrigan scratched her cheek. "So, um... does that mean you won't be using your influence to declare war on X-COM on a liberation mission to get Ammelia?" She asked, only half joking. "Because between the aliens and now this EXALT group, we have our hands full."

"Only if you make her do something against her will." David said in a completely serious voice.

"Don't worry," Morrigan answered, sharing his tone. "That won't happen as long as I'm around." She thought for a moment, her eye darting back and forth. "Um... I know this isn't the best time, but speaking of EXALT... have you discovered about that friend of yours? Lusett, right? Does she have times with the organization?"

"Well, since we last spoke I've been using my influence to try and figure of what's been going on with EXALT and I've found out a few things..." David answered.

Morrigan turned to Ammelia, as if to ask her to leave. But she simply smiled at her, remembering that she mentioned Lusett was her friend. Looking back at the computer, she said, "Alright, Dr. Cross. Whatever you can tell me will be a big help."

" I'm sorry Ammelia..." David frowned, "I'm afraid Auntie Lusett is dead..."

"I know Dad... One of Lucett's former friends is here at the base... She told me..." Ammelia lowered her head.

"Then you also may also know that a man named Viktor Dorian has taken command of her former empire and is using it's resources to disrupt
X-Com." David added.

"Dorian?" The Commander grabbed a pen and started jotting down notes. "Has he been in contact with you, the way Lusett was? Have your people discovered what his goals are? Why he has it in for X-COM?"

"This man has not contacted me and has not made his goals obvious. I don't know why he wants to disrupt X-Com's efforts. Perhaps he is an alien sympathizer, I don't know." David finished, pulling a piping hot mug of coffee off of the machine on his desk.

"Damn!" Morrigan slammed the pen down. "So nothing but bad news. We know nothing more then we did before other then you friend is clear of suspicion, and that cost her her life." She stared down at the name written before him. "All we have is a name. It isn't much to go on, but it's a start I suppose. Is there anything else you know that could help us, doctor?"

"Yes, one more thing..." David thought for a second, "I have an agent within what I believe to be Exalt's main base. She's the one who got me this information."

Morrigan's eyes perked up. "Really. Who is she? Is she close to Dorian? And how sure are you that her information is reliable?"

Frostlich1228

Telling Daddy, Part 2

"She's a... Close friend of my family... She wouldn't lie to me." David answered hesitantly. "But sadly she has not been able to find the exact location of their HQ. In the few messages she can get back to me she said that they keep the location a heavily guarded secret, even from the staff on base.

David poured a packet of sugar into his coffee and started stirring, "She is also concerned about the Council of Nations. Even if she can find the location she is not sure that the council will choose to preserve her life as she has done a number of... unethical things to stay undercover. As I said she is a close friend and I would hate to see her executed along with those traitors..."

Morrigan thought for a moment, trying to go over what David had told her, possible outcomes, and what she knew of the Council. "She... I could try to assure her amnesty. One could argue what we do here isn't exactly ethical. And while I'm sure the Council would argue that they and they alone are above that, they have been more willing to listen to my thoughts on these matters. As it so happens, we have a few alien captives right now who, due to cooperation, we have decided to keep around. One in particular has assisted us, and once I can assure it's cooperation..." Morrigan sighed. "But... I am technically her enemy. I doubt she would believe me. What is her name? Is there anyway I could contact her myself?"

"Her name is Elene..." David said cautiously, knowing he is treating on a minefield where one misplaced word could spell the end for both of them. "You could get in contact with her, but I wouldn't advise it. If she Is discovered and they trace it back to me, I may die... But if they trance it back to you and X-com, they may be able to locate your base... and that's not a risk I want you to have to take."

Morrigan tapped her fingers, going over her options. "You... you're probably right. I can't put the base at such a risk. I can't put you at such a risk. And if she can be trusted, as you say she can, I can't put her at risk. Can you deliver a message for me then?"

David nodded, finally taking a sip of his coffee.

"Let Elene know that if she stands on X-COM's way, she will be dealt with like the rest. But if she is truly against what this Viktor Dorian is doing, that the Commander of X-COM doesn't only see the world in terms of black and white. If she turns out to be an ally, I don't forget those who show me a kindness, and I'll do everything in my power to assure she doesn't go down with Dorian and the rest of EXALT. And that goes for anyone who assists her as well."

David smiled, "Thank you Commander, I'm sure she'll be glad to hear it."

He gave Ammelia a wave, "Be careful out there sweetie... and if anything happens, be sure to let me know..."

" I will Dad... and don't forget to be careful yourself, Dorian is only one man." Ammy replied.

He nodded towards his daughter and looked towards Morrigan, " Good luck, Commander..."

"Good luck to you too." As the screen cut out, Morrigan looked up at Ammelia. "Thank you. I don't know if I could have done that without you. I'm not saying you're father is scary when he's mad, but... I'd rather fight an entire UFO by myself then deal with an enraged parent."

"Thanks Commander, Dad was always protective of me, but I guess the same can be said of any parent and their child. I'm just glad he didn't too anything drastic..." She responded.

"I'm... sorry to hear about that friend of yours. I'm sure it doesn't mean much, but at least she isn't the one behind these attacks."

"Yeah, Thanks... She was the one who helped build my eyes... I wouldn't be here if not for her..." She said solemnly.

"Speaking of which, I'd hate for all that risky surgery and rehab to be for nothing." Morrigan grinned. "When did the doctors say you'll be cleared to hit the field again?"

"In about a day or so." Ammelia smiled, "Does this mean what I think it does?"

"If you think it means I'll be putting you back on the soldier roster, then yes." Morrigan pointed her finger. "So once they clear you, make sure you're ready to hit the field. I'll clear you to use the holo-training room as much as you need. Within reason, of course."

Ammelia throws Morrigan a salute, "I won't let you down!"

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
People Talk
Exalt Base, Location Unkown
Viktor's Office
0900 Hours

It was what seemed to be morning as Sora came out of sleep mode and brought up the system clock that was installed. He 'stretched' his arms and he quickly transported to Viktor's monitor and his bright personality beamed. "He-"

"Don't even start if it is something stupid Sora. I am not in the mood." Viktor said annoyingly scribbling in on papers. "This stuff is better left to lackeys but I can trust them to do anything these days." He paid him no mind flipping through the seemingly endless stacks.

"You need some friends, or you know maybe some hobbies. Life is dull if you are dark and brooding all the time."

"I don't need friends Sora. I need people who follow orders. I won't have my plans spoiled because of a weak link."

Sora mused at this opportunity and decided to press the matter while it was more relevant. "What are these plans of yours anyways? What made you want such a personal vendetta against anything that breathes or has some sort of sentience?" Viktor would probably kick rocks just because he ran out of different enemies.

Viktor put down his pen and stared at the monitor. "You know why Sora. I have no doubt you know the history between the girl and me."

Sora wished he had his persona so he could move around but he would have to deal with just talking. "There must be more to it then that. Just because a girl accidentally kills your brother doesn't call for a full blown retaliation."

Viktor smirked and he spun around to look at his map. "You are right, there is another reason. You see Desmond was always a little sickly when it came to his health. I admit I did not hate taking care of him but seeing him suffer was bad for me. So my mission is simple, purge the world of the sickly and the weak and make sure that only the strongest remain to bring this world into a new age of prosperity. I will literally become exalted among men!" He laughed at his joke but Sora just 'rolled' his eyes.

"Ha ha, hee hee...weak." He stated flatly. "So just to get this straight, you have a personal vendetta at the world because your brother was sick?" I have heard of stupider reasons...

Viktor nodded and turned around to get back to work. After a minute of silence Sora spoke once more. "So do you have any hobbies?"

Viktor sighed and pulled a picture out of the desk and threw it in front of the monitor. "I fish."

"Fishing...really?"

"Yes." He replied stoically.

"You really have no life, you know that?"

"Ironic coming from a computer don't you think?"

"At least I have the looks of the two of us, and the humor, and basically everything else that makes me awesome."

Viktor coldly looked at the computer. "And all the reasons I need to smash a fist into that screen."

"Hurts you more than it does me. I can just move to another system. You my somewhat crazy dictator friend, would be stuck with a hurting hand."

"Sora..." He said looking down.

"Yes Ernest Hemingway?"

"Leave me the fuck alone."

Sora snickered and disappeared, laughing with the mental image of Viktor having enough patience for fishing.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “Super Soldiers”

Jessica stepped into the genetics room, watching as the latest batch of soldiers slept in their individual pods. Her confidence played tug-of-war with her emotions. She was happy to be of more use lately, but she knew the various soldiers being enhanced meant that people were growing more and more worried about the strength of the aliens.

She glanced at the computer, and put on a smile as she hit the switch to drain the pods, the soldiers enhancements complete. With a new group coming in soon, and little time to delay with the length of time it took to do these, she waited eagerly as the pods slowly opened.

Maximilian Arturo, Maggie Beckett, and David Trapp stepped out of their respective pods, each blinking to adjust to the light. Maggie did so more than the other two, her hyper-reactive pupils needing more time. “This...isn’t going to affect my vision in a negative way, is it?” she asked the scientist before her.

Jessica shook her head. “Of course not. You just need a bit of time to get used to it. Give it a couple hours, and your sight will be better than you could ever imagine!” She quickly grabbed three towels, and handed them out. “Now, other than that, are any of you experiencing discomfort in any way. Please, be as honest as you can.”

“Well, I’d be lying if I said my legs didn’t burn a little,” Max explained.

“I could say the same for my arms,” David added. “Something to do with the muscles being stronger, I guess.”

“Yes, but don’t worry, that’s expected. It’ll be gone within the hour.” Jessica examined Trapps arms carefully, poking them in various spots. “Now, Mr. Trapp, and Mr. Arturo. With your magnified bicep structure and muscle fiber density, you will be much stronger in your arms and legs respectively. It’ll help you with those heavy weapons of yours, Mr. Trapp, and you’ll be able to jump to great heights, Mr. Arturo. Not to mention, it’ll give you a mean right hook and roundhouse kick.” The young scientist giggled in spite of herself, then quickly cleared her throat. “But it’ll take time to get used to this strength. You don’t want to hurt yourself or anyone else, so make sure you take it easy until you know your own strength, okay?”

David nodded. “I will.”

“And I’d rather not have to test out how well this ‘iron skin’ works unless its time for it to save my life,” Max said.

Jessica giggled again, but noting Max’s serious expression, frowned. “W-well, yes… I mean no, I mean that won’t be necessary. So, um… did you have any questions for me before you head out?”

“None from me,” Trapp said.

“I asked mine, so I’ll be okay,” Maggie added quietly.

“I did have two last questions,” Max began, still looking serious. “Do you know what the maximum jump height I can achieve is, and how well the iron skin will protect me from lasers and plasma, respectively?”

Jessica placed her finger on her cheek, giving the questions serious thought. “Well… depending on the soldier, we’ve had individuals who could jump as high as two stories without straining themselves to much. And the iron skin obviously doesn’t mean literal iron skin, but it’ll definitely take more to penetrate. Now, don’t go taking direct hits, but it’ll almost completely stop glancing blows, and it’ll act like light armor in its own right, so added to your regular armor, it would likely save your life from a direct blow, as long as it isn’t at close range.”’

“That’s good to hear, especially since they decided to make me an officer. I think that is all I have for you, Miss Lockheart,” Max finished.

“All right. Now head to the infirmary. We haven’t had any problems yet, but everyone still needs a check up whenever they get modded. Better to err on the side of caution, right?”

Lieutenant Arturo nodded, and had the other two follow him to the infirmary, heading out the door.

Alexia let out a sigh, knowing her work wasn’t finished. She quickly assisted some of the other techs in cleaning the pods and preparing them for the next batch of soldiers. She had barely finished, sitting down to wipe the sweat from her brow, when the next group stepped in.

Randall Lovikov walked into the genetics lab, followed by two of the new recruits. One was a man with black hair shaved on the sides of his head from the Ukraine, LCPL Maxim “Wardog” Koslov. The other was a woman with black hair from france, CPL Adele “Scarecrow” Andre.

Clearing her throat, Jessica quickly jumped to her feet. “Hello, everyone. I’m Ms. Lockheart. I’ll be applying the meld to you, and overseeing your gene-modifications. Did you decide what we were going to do today?”

Adele stepped forward quickly. “I heard you have something called bioelectric skin?” she said with a hint of an accent. “I would like to make use of that.”

“The ability to boost other squad members upon kills...what was it called?” the Ukranian Infantry asked.

“Adrenal Neurosympathy.” She smiled at Randall. “And you, Mr. Lovikov?”

“I was thinking the Aerobic Respiration Boost,” the Russian scout replied.

“Good, good to hear.” The green-haired girl winked at him. “You’ll be zipping across the battlefield without losing your breath once. Any questions before we begin?”

“Nope,” Adele said. “I look forward to being able to detect aliens like some sort of jedi.”

“What exactly triggers the ability you’d be giving me?” Maxim asked curiously.

“Nothing from me,” Randall finished.

“Well,” Jessica addressed Maxim. “The best way to describe it is a combat rush. When your adrenaline gets to a peak, especially after taking down the enemies, not only will you find your combat abilities enhanced, but you’ll let out a kind of pheromone that will boost those around you. So you’ll be able to boost others like the Mutons can, but you won’t have to roar to do it. Unless you want to, of course.”

The infantry chuckled. “We’ll see about that.”

Adele sighed. “I suppose I ought to ask if my ability is as badass as I thought it would be.”

Jessica clapped her hands together. “Oh, yes. It’ll allow you to detect nearby enemies, even if they are not within sight. It even works with the energy signatures given off by the alien machines, so you won’t even have to worry about one of those invisible squid robots sneaking up on you.”

“I wouldn’t want one of them to get too friendly with me,” Adele said with a grin. “I’m ready.” The other two nodded in agreement.

Jessica motioned for the pods, and as the three stepped in, she said, “Now, you might be a bit stiff when you get out, but we’ll be monitoring your vitals, and using small bits of electric stimulus to make sure your muscles stay active, so don’t worry about not moving for a few days. And you’ll be constantly watched while in there.”

“We going to be awake?” Adele wondered.

Jessica shook her head. “Nope. It’ll be like a nice long nap. One you’ll awaken from nice and refreshed. And with a little extra, of course.”

“Right. Well, see you in the ‘morning’ then,” the engineer joked.

The pods closed, and the soldiers strapped on their breathing apparatus. As the meld-infused liquid filled the pods and the anesthetics put the three soldiers out, Jessica let out a sigh, and collapsed in a chair. She knew if Dr. Vahlen had known about her fifteen hour work days, she’d flip, but it was all Jessica could do to keep from going insane, throwing herself into work. She activated the automatic sensors on the computer, and headed out, eager to find something to keep her mind off all the things that, so far, she couldn’t get her mind off of.

DarkGemini24601

"Exalted Warrior" - Elene, Vee, Lily, and Avanix

1200 Hours, June 23rd, 2018
Elene's Personal Labratory

"Infusion code alpha alpha ceta, gamma gamma delta, complete. Modified genetic information from the 'Thin Man' successfully copied to Subject 157," Avanix read off. The crucible of Tz6 infused liquid drained, and the oxygen gear detached itself from Vee. "How do you feel?"

"Well, my legs burn a little, but I bet I can walk it off," Vee replied as she stepped through the gap that opened in the glass with her characteristic grin.

"I am not sure that is how that..." Lilybegan, and then trailed off as Vee ran up the staircase to the main labs. Avanix just smiled, Vee's enthusiasm always lightening the mood.

Once she got to the main labs, Vee waved over at Elene. "Hey, they finished the twonlatest mods."

Elene looked up from her computer, nodding. "And I suppose you want to show me them?"

"Right on the money," the warrior clone said, snapping. "We don't need the practice room for number one...." She crouched down, and then leapt at the ceiling, going 10 feet into the air and tapping it before landing on her feet.

The muscle fiber density seems to be working, Avanix conveyed nonchalantly.

"I would prefer the practice room to test the other one," Elene warned.

"Fine, fine," Vee replied, heading towards medium-sized gym complete with a weapons rack.

Subject Negative Zero picked up a conventional pistol, loading it with rubber bullets. "You sure about this?"

"Hey, if it doesn't work it'll just hurt like hell, right?"

Elene nodded, and fired at Vee. The rubber bullet was crushed on her skin, and the soldier grinned. "Try a small real bullet."

"It might stop it based on calculations...rather, it should. If we made an error, though..." Elene trailed off.

"Come on, you have Avanix to help you with that. I'm sure it's fine." Vee held out her palm.

Elene stepped back a few feet, and then steadied her aim with Vee's hand in mind as the target. She loaded a metal bullet into the gun, and with a crack it fired.

The soldier immediately winced, getting a worried response from Elene. "It...it didn't..."

"Oh, it felt like someone slamming their knuckles into my palm," 157 explained, holding out her hand. There was a red mark on it, but merely from pressure, not blood. The bullet had caved in on contact with her 'iron skin.'

Elene breathed a sigh of relief. "You should be a lot more durable on the battlefield...but don't expect it to completely stop lasers or help a lot against plasma."

"Got it, sis. See about that adrennal nero sin pathy?"

"Adrenal neurosymapthy. I'll be working on it. The Muton glands are proving promising..."

"But first..."

"Yes?"

"Get me some real food."

Elene smiled. "That may be more of a challenge than copying an alien's genetics."

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Target Practice” Part 1

1600 Hours June 23rd, 2018
Main Training Room

Markus had some downtime to spare and ever since he had arrived on base there was something that Markus had been wanting to do. It was one of those things that he never got to do much but it was something to kill time and bring back a nostalgic feeling. A perk of him being under Viktor’s thumb was that the clones did not give him any trouble just as long as he would stay away from the restricted areas that he was first told to stay away from. One of those rooms however did not include the sizable training area that the place held.

He stopped by the armory and he picked up a rifle and headed to the range to start practicing his shooting. It filled him with a sense of relief to have a rifle in his hands. His grandfather used to say that there was nothing as reliable as a good rifle. Pistols were inaccurate and couldn’t be trusted and anything that fired more than three shots in a second was just impractical in his eyes. He would take a sniper any day of the year.

He set up a makeshift sniper’s nest consisting of a metal chair behind a folding table with a bag on the table to steady the gun. He also had his bag of treats and a cola that he had somehow convinced Sora to ‘requisition’ the next time a shipment came in and looked down the scope of the the rifle as he went through the tedious process of zeroing the optics.

A young woman with black hair leaned over from Markus’s side. “Didn’t know you knew how to shoot, Romeo,” the soldier in EXALT military fatigues said.

He ignored her as he went over the mechanisms in his mind and picked up one of the clips he had laid out, sliding it into the gun and arming it. Satisfied he did it right he finally acknowledged the girl next to him. “You tend to pick these sorts of things up when you have an ex-army sniper as a grandfather and spent summers out in the Outback.”

“I guess experience has its own merits,” Vee responded with a shrug. She tapped her head. “I got the knowledge of textbooks worth of military tactics and data on some of the best soldiers in history up here, but it doesn’t beat actually fighting yourself. Not that the Floaters, Drones, and Outsider I fought put up much of a challenge...yeah, we lost an assault, but those K’s don’t seem to give a shit whether they live or die.”

“That is because they are not made to be smart.” He lifted the rifle and putting it on the bag he had the target in his sights. Firing a test shot he quickly adjusted his placement and shot for real, this time hitting close to the center. “I swear these lasers are so...uncivilized.”

“How so? They’re easier to aim, and deal more damage than ballistics,” Vee countered, leaning against the wall.

He lifted up the rifle and let the stock on the ground and let it lay against the table. “It is just that. There is no challenge with firing them.” He looked up at Vee and shrugged. “I prefer to feel a satisfaction when I nearly hit center by my own calculations, not a computer in the scope or a gun with next to no recoil. I prefer my .30-06 Springfield M1903-A1 I have at home, now that my friend...is a true rifle.”

Vee chuckled. “I’d agree with ya, if I were fighting for sport. When my life is on the line, I’d prefer to kill my enemy rather than awe them with my skills.”

“When you have skill you can make a rifle sing for you. You would be amazed some of the shots I have pulled off in the last couple of years.”

“But I can pull off even better with these. Though...sniper rifles aren’t really my thing,” Vee explained. “I prefer things that do a lot more damage...like LMGs, or rocket launchers. Besides, I was given knowledge of just about every weapon there is, except for those. That’s Em-eehhhh…”

He raised an eyebrow at her sudden spat of stupidity. “Well, I would like to get things done before they have a chance to fire back. It is cleaner and more efficient. 300 rounds against my one for a kill is a big margin.”

Vee growled, and pulled a heavy laser rifle off the weapon’s rack. “I’m not inaccurate you know. I just don’t know how to steady those stupid things and compensate for the scope.” She used the wall like she would cover, and took off her green contacts, revealing her orange eyes. The soldier stared intently at the target for a moment, and then fired, cleanly shooting through the bullseye.

He stared at her and gave a sly grin. “Is that a challenge I am hearing from you Vee?”

“I don’t think you can match Tz6 eyes, Romeo,” Vee responded with a grin. “I don’t want to embarrass you…”

“And I don't think you can handle being upstaged by a 24 year old Outback boy. Wouldn’t want you to go on a rampage.”

“So, how do you want to settle this? Combat simulation, or your forte of sitting around and picking people off?” Vee taunted.

He thought a minute and came up with a compromise. “Combat simulation, though we have to take down as many targets as possible with using the least amount of ammo.” He picked up the laser sniper rifle and threw it to the side as he took out one of the older bolt action rifles that EXALT still had stored away. Looking it over he muttered. “Almost the same as an M24, this will be cake…”

Vee set up her heavy laser rifle, looking over the room. She glanced over at Markus. “Huh...I think that was Eve’s. Used it to blow off a chryssie’s head that nearly killed Lusett, if I recall.”

“Well, it is a nice gun. M24s are a nice standardized rifle.” He quickly loaded the rifle and pulled back on the bolt with a snap. “Oh it is good to be back. So how about we make this interesting?”

Vee grinned, pushing away thoughts of her dead sister. “I was thinking fliers.”

“I was thinking a bet. Though not much to wager now is there?”

“Hmmm…” Vee thought for a moment. “I could at least think of some cruel things to make you do if you lose.”

“Do I want to know?” He said dejectedly. While they bantered he took the time to check over the rifle.

“Hmm...I wouldn’t make you piss off Viktor, I don’t want you dead...but I might make you sustain a conversation awkwardly with Lily for a couple of hours or something.”

“I have never talked to a brick wall before, it might be a learning experience for the both of us. Anyways, we should decide soon. I don’t want to sit here all day.”

“Alright, you have to talk to Lily for a day if I win. What happens if I lose by some cosmic coincidence?” Vee asked. “And I’ll be fair...I won’t bounce off walls and destroy all of them with my super powers.”

“Then you have to spend a day with Sora. I know how much you love his...blooming personality.”

“Oh, God, you bastard. I won’t lose, then,” Vee affirmed, and raised her weapon. Avanix, give us a swarm of drones, floaters, and seekers. Make them awful shots that won’t hit us, so we can focus on kills.

Understood, Avanix answered with a hint of amusement.

DarkGemini24601

MarineAvenger and DarkGemini24601: “Target Practice, Part 2”

A gaggle of alien fliers materialized in the room, and started flying around to line up awful shots. Vee took aim and started firing, seeming to be able to think a few seconds ahead to where they would go, though the more erratic Floaters posed a challenge to her, and she did find herself missing a shot or two in regards to them.

Markus took his time looking at all his possible choices. Unlike Vee he had not fired once and when one of the drones had paused in the air he sent the shot down range and sent it straight through the middle of the metal body. He pulled back the bolt and ejected the cartridge, repeating the shot on another drone. I am sensing a pattern here.

“I think you’re falling behind, Romeo!” Vee shouted, focusing on the drones, as they were the easiest targets, and then started moving on to the seekers. Despite them being faster, they were still robots, and had discernable patterns to the warrior. Once she understood it, she could predict their movements and fire accordingly.
Markus made a quick note of the different enemy patterns and he looked over a grouping of two floaters and a drone. He first sent a bullet through the head of a floater causing the other to scatter away and into the waiting shot of his rifle after a quick cartridge change. The drone seemed to just be plain lost and he disposed him in rapid succession. “Resorting to cheating now Vee? You don’t here me taunting you.” He said half joking and half annoyed at the distraction.

“If you call that cheating, you really are inadequate. You’d never make it in an actual battle, fighting with a squad,” Vee goaded, her shot narrowly going over the head of a seeker. “Dammit.”

With one last shot he knocked down a Seeker and his clip was out. “Well I am empty. One thing that you can knock a sniper for is not it’s high ammo capacity.” He watched Vee with slight amusement as he watched her finish up with her targets.

Vee shrugged. “Lasers do have their limits between these power packs and overheating.” She laid her weapon down, a Floater going for her. “End simulation,” she requested, punching the Floater for the hell of it as it disappeared into a spray of ‘pixels’. “Hope we get the ‘solid’ holograms like XCOM has soon, Av said she was working on them.”

He sighed and went over the tallies of his shots. “I have ten shots, ten hits. You?”

“...stupid power packs. Ten.”

“Ten hits or ten misses? I counted a few curve shots there...I may have to count that against you.”

“Ten hits, you idiot,” Vee muttered. “Though, to be fair, I picked one of the lowest-capacity rifles aside from the strike rifle or shatterray.”

“Excuses, excuses Vee. Are you admitting that I am better then you? Cause the proof is in the training simulation.” he stated sarcastically.

“I encourage you to try fighting me in an actual combat scenario or at least doing target practice with things shooting back,” Vee responded. “You’d lose, I don’t need to be a living computer like Lily to tell you that.”

“Why don’t we just ask a living computer then?” he whispered in her ear. He shrugged his shoulders and he took a step back.

“Considering Subject 157’s numerous genetic enhancements and processing power, you would need modifications that I am not aware you have to defeat Vee in a battle, barring extremely good luck,” Avanix intoned.

“Does no one appreciate hard work these days…” Markus muttered. “Fine, so why don’t we call it a draw.” he said unenthusiastically. “Which means we both have to deal with our worst nightmares.”

“Or we could both do neither…” Vee suggested sullenly.

“Sorry, but where I come from when you draw in a bet you still have to do the punishment. That is why...I…” he sighed, completely forgetting his memory of this. “Never betted against Chelsea or William…”

“You’re a horrible person, Romeo…and who?”

“Here I thought that we were actually making progress as friends. Why do I have the creeping suspicion that I will need to watch my corners? Oh, and Chelsea and William are my older brother and sister. I never told you I had two siblings? Riley does too, they are with mine. We all grew up together.”

“Well, I suppose technically there are four people I could call my siblings. Two of them are dead, though,” Vee explained. “There’s Elene and Lily, Eve, who was Lusett’s original daughter, and 158, who didn’t make it in the cloning process.”

“Seems that we have that in common at least. So I better get ready for the most boring day possible.”

“I don’t envy you,” Vee said with a grin.

“At least your punishment has a personality…” he sighed, not looking forward to a rather predictably boring day.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Altered Tactics

The child had become increasingly difficult. The gifted one she would occasionally be escorted by made interacting with her impossible, and even when she was with others or alone, she had become increasingly difficult to reason with and manipulate. Perhaps the female had been right, and IIX-3 had overestimated her naivety. He would likely have to dispose of her after all, but perhaps a reminder of Kitty's 'purpose' would make the child useful for a little longer.

IIX-3 watched intently as the high one walked through the human's engineering bay, the child holding her hand. He watched as the high one spoke casually with the other humans, and smiled as she pointed out the various machines and productions to the child.

IIX-3 continued to observe for ten minutes, until his controller declared it time to act. He rushed forward, keeping to the rafters to avoid detection, before jumping down and standing behind a large crate, fifteen feet above the humans. Leaning against it, IIX-3 examined the room, reading minds and predicting all possible out comes. When he was satisfied, he released enough of his powers to push the crate forward, the object weighing at least 250 Earth kilos. As it was positioned on the edge, he jumped down to ground level. After a few more moments of calculations and predictions, his fur turned bright orange, and he rushed forward.

Brigid! Watch out!

The child turned, unable not to see IIX-3 as he ran past her. He leaped into the air, applying just the right amount of force to the high one before landing on the ground and rushing into hiding before he could be seen by anyone else. The large crate slammed into the ground where the high one had stood, it's contents erupting forward. IIX-3 had not been able to see far enough ahead to know something sharp would fly out, slashing the high one in the side and the arm, but she would live, and that is what mattered.

"Mommy!" The child yelled, erupting in tears and rushing forward.

"I-it's okay, love. Mommy's okay," the high one stammered, wrapping her uninjured arm around the child.

IIX-3 watched as the apologetic humans rushed to their leader's side. The high one was surprisingly understanding, only insisting on more safety precautions before leaving with the child, likely on her way to the infirmary. Were he capable of such emotions, IIX-3 would likely had felt a great degree of satisfaction. Instead, on his controllers orders, he slashed a large gash in his side, and took off to continue his day's work.

Last edited:

Dahlexpert

Eva's Acention & Ashley's curiosity

Eva walked into the Gene-lab, where she saw her favorite green-haired scientist. "Yo, Jessica, it looks like you've fully recovered from your time in the med bay."

"Oh, Ms. Aegerter." Jessica turned from her computer, smiling at the soldier. "Yes, I am doing better. A few side effects, but nothing I'm not getting used to."

Eva rubbed the back of her head. "Yeah, sorry I couldn't visit you when you were at the med-bay. I've been so busy the last month. With my training, me learning that a good friend of mine was recently murdered, and, of course, the main one; invading the alien base. So sorry I couldn't come and visit you."

Jessica's expression turned grim. "Wait... a friend of yours was murdered? What happened? Did they catch the killer?"

"No," they didn't. It's a very long and complicated story, and if I told you the whole thing, you would think it was ripped straight from a show on HBO. But never mind. I heard that you scientist got more augmentations."

Jessica nodded, deciding not to push the issue. "We have. Quite a few, in fact. Were you interested in getting them? And how are the one's you have now?"

"Whelp, the ones that I have have been excellent, especially the one that makes me immune to poison. And the ones in my eyes have been great as well. And to answer your first question, I would love to get some more augmentations."

Jessica motioned for Eva to sit in the chair next to her. When she did, Jessica slowly examined her eyes, trying to put that biology degree to use and looking for any issues. "So, what did you have in mind? We have quite the selection. Maybe something that goes along with you soldier class?"

"I've been thinking about it for a couple of days. I think for I could us the Iron skin, and the adaptive bone marrow. Because having a healing factor sounds so good, how can you deny me having that. And for my last one, I think I will take the Adrenal Neurosympathy, at least for now anyway. And don't forget my side order of mash potatoes please."

Jessica smiled as she sat back. She turned to her computer and began typing. "You want three more mods? You really wanna load up, huh?"

"Well I was one of the first augmented soldier, and the first person to get augmentations willingly, without letting my emotions guide me like some of the others. Plus, after what I saw down in that base, if I don't go all out and get even stronger then I am now, this war will get even uglier. I also noticed people getting more gene-mods as well. They see it too, the attacks will only get worse and I better get ready."

"Alright." Jessica continued to type on her computer for a while, then smiled. "I have an opening right now. Our last open pod, with the other three being occupied. Did you want to start on them today?"

"Yes. The sooner, the better."

Ashley looked at both Eva and Jessica. "Well, so this is where the evolution happens."

"Ashley, what are you doing here?"

Jessica looked up at the second soldier. "Um, hello. Were you interested in some augmentations too?"

"I don't know yet. I'm thinking about it."

Eva looked between the two other women. "Um, Jessica let me introduce you to, um..."

"My name is Ashley van dam, leader of a tribe of mercenaries. And yes I'm related to Scarlet van Dam. Now did my cousin do any thing to you Mrs..."

"Jessica."

"Jessica. Thank you, Eva."

"Scarlet, huh?" Jessica thought about the best way to put it. "Well, she threatened me and my sister, but she didn't do anything to actually harm us. Mostly, I just tried to encourage her to... work on getting her more aggressive half under control. Do you know if she's well?"

"Oh, so you're the one that I have to thank for her more recent.... developments. Yeah, Scarlet and Lilith seem to be in unaccented together. And for the first time, probably in her life, she has inner and peace. Hell, she even adopted a kid, which made her even more gentle. Well, by gentle, I mean she's a lot nicer to people and not trying to decapitate them. Unless they bring up her past. So, thanks for changing Scarlet."

Jessica shook her head. "All I did was give her some advice. Any improvements she made are because if her own hard work. I'm glad to hear she's okay."

"Yes ,she has improved a lot since she was here. Now, she's still a blood thirsty psycho, but she's only that to people that cross her. Anyway enough about my cousin, can you tell me about these gene-mods?"

"Speaking of gene-mods, I'm gonna strip down and get into my pod," Eva said to Jessica and Ashley.

Jessica blushed slightly, and quickly turned back to her computer. "U-uh... alright." As she typed the last of the commands into the computer, she said, "So... Ashley, right? What kind of mods were you interested in?"

"I'm not interested in the mods just yet,"Ashley answered, "after what happen to you I'm hesitant."

Eva started laughing. "That's kinda funny actually, for ironic reasons. I mean, the person in charge of the gene-mods couldn't handle the Meld. But then again, the Meld we're dipped into is meld that's being concentrated by scientist, and you took raw Meld into your body. But hey, you have to find the humor in that."

"And don't forget that," Jessica said, blushing a little more. "The meld is too powerful to just pump into yourself with out being regulated and directed." She flashed Ashley an encouraging smile. "Which is what we do here. I can assure you, it is completely safe. After all, this is Eva's second time in, and she's doing fine."

"Well, unlike the other soldiers, I'm in charge of hundreds of people. Plus, I have to worry about things some others don't. Like, if I get augmented and I get pregnant, will the mods I got transferred to my next child. And if it does, well I will have to find a way to transfer the meld in my blood to the males in my tribe."

"Huh, that's a very good question. Hey Jess, can the meld do that?"

"I... never thought of that." Jessica thought for a moment. "I... don't think so. The changes we are making are masking your genetic code to make it compatible with the augmentations, but the DNA code itself remains intact. So I believe a child would be born using your original DNA, free from the augmentations. This is just an educated guess, of course. I'd have to do some research and tests to be sure."

Ashley nodded. "Well, you do that. I need to know this, not just for me, but for the rest of my family."

"Well, if you two can just turnaround for just a minute I need to do something." Eva said.

"Really? Are you going to do that thing that you did in the alien base. Because I want to see this with my own two eyes, and I'm sure a scientist would love to see it too."

Eve sighted. "Very well. Jessica, fell free to look at my vitals if you want to. Release restriction to level one." Eva's body started to change.

"Hmm..." Jessica watched as Eva vitals jumped. "How are you doing that? It isn't something we gave you, that's for sure."

"You're right. This is a gift from my recently departed friend, and I can go even further than that." Eva's muscles started to expand .

Ashley smiled. "So this is the power you used to toss that Muton around like a rag dog. Very impressive."

Jessie smiled. "Well, with this new power up added to what you already have, you'll be quite the lethal weapon. Just promise you won't turn on us. We'd have a hard time dealing with you."

"Trust me, I'm still holding back. But I will not betray X-COM. If I wanted to, I could have done it a long time ago, so don't worry/ I'm won't betray X-COM. At long last my ascension will finally become complete. Eva jumped into the pod. "See you in a week or so."

"Well, now that she's in her little Meld bath." Ashley smiled at Jessica. "Can you tell me about yourself? Like how old are you, and how are you so smart?"

"Well..." Jessica thought for a moment, not one to usually flatter herself. "I'm nineteen, I can tell you that much. As for my intelligence, I'm... I don't know. No one has ever asked me how. They usually don't focus on my brains when there are... ahem, other parts of me to look at."

Ashley grinned. "Nineteen, huh? That's very impressive for a nineteen year old. Now, as for your other parts..." She grabbed Jessica's chest. "Oh, they're real. That's very impressive. I bet lot's of woman were jealous of you, especially when you were in high school, for these alone."