X-COM/XSDF RP THINK TANK (part3)

Alzdude28

Home now. Prepare yourselves, ladies and gents.
*looks in gif folder*
*considers*
*posts anyway*
14 - 1 (5).gif

I just wish I knew what this was from...

DarkGemini24601

Up in all 7-8 parts. Credit goes to Pixy for playing Elicia and I believe Balodis when I had to step away for a bit early on, and Marine for his damnable sarcastic android Ezra. Really proud of what we accomplished together, so take your time, and enjoy Operation Banished Mountain.

DarkGemini24601

I suppose I can blame it on the fact that 37 has mever actually been to Earth, but the public is only aware that AI tech exists. They only know that there are very few AIs made by humans in existence.

And thus governments certainly dont fearmonger about something that isnt very relevant. The reasons AIs dont have rights is because they're such a new entity, not because there is mass prejudice against them. And no, that isn't my opinion, that is canon. Android Rights isnt't meant to be a popular movement, and it shouldnt be highly similar to the civil rights or women's rights movements.

Frostlich1228

I suppose I can blame it on the fact that 37 has mever actually been to Earth, but the public is only aware that AI tech exists. They only know that there are very few AIs made by humans in existence.

And thus governments certainly dont fearmonger about something that isnt very relevant. The reasons AIs dont have rights is because they're such a new entity, not because there is mass prejudice against them. And no, that isn't my opinion, that is canon. Android Rights isnt't meant to be a popular movement, and it shouldnt be highly similar to the civil rights or women's rights movements.

I don't feel like there is crazy prejudice, but the fact still stands that people don't want more of these things to be made, mostly for the points I said.

DarkGemini24601

I don't feel like there is crazy prejudice, but the fact still stands that people don't want more of these things to be made, mostly for the points I said.
Because of the fear of rebellion? Maybe.

Superiority? Personally that sounds like speciest (or just plain racist if you prefer) bullshit. If you're going to say 'but androids really are superior' then one could start arguing about if the japanese are superior to the irish. Lets not go there.

In that vein, 37 would scare me if not for the fact that she likely has neither the ability to produce more androids (nor the means to make them share her vision if they are sentient)

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member

Superiority? Personally that sounds like speciest (or just plain racist if you prefer) bullshit. If you're going to say 'but androids really are superior' then one could start arguing about if the japanese are superior to the irish. Lets not go there.

In that vein, 37 would scare me if not for the fact that she likely has neither the ability to produce more androids (nor the means to make them share her vision if they are sentient)
Also it is hard for androids to reproduce, very hard. Ezra was a maybe that happened to work out and Hestia is a special case where with a lot of support her nuero network has expanded past simple A.I. and it is still fairly simple.

Frostlich1228

Well I mean, that'd be true if Japanese people didn't need to eat... Or breathe... could transfer their minds... Didn't age... Etc... Etc... Etc...

And it all depends on how persuasive one can be...

DarkGemini24601

Well I mean, that'd be true if Japanese people didn't need to eat... Or breathe... could transfer their minds... Didn't age... Etc... Etc... Etc...

And this is why I legitimately have to believe that androids capable of easy self replication (read what Marine said above that not being the case) would be the death of the human race. It's only "logic" to view themselves as superior and off the inferior species. The only way to avoid that is to give them a soul of silicion. (I think you'll find that 37 is likely the only android on base that wants some menacing stellar empire; Alice is content with being part of the XSDF, as is Hermes, as is Ezra content with organics he can get along with).

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member

Are also highly susceptible to being electricuted, cannot have children with organics, most of the time are stuck in the same body most of their lives, will watch loved ones they have die while they would still live, and if they have major injuries it is harder to heal.

DarkGemini24601

And the first two? Doesn't matter for much. Bacteria don't respire in the way we do. They're microrobes. And immortality is a debateable boon. Already went into that territory with Pixy once: not again. That's controversial, our opinions likely differ.

Edit: technically humans could be immortal in this story if I allowed it, but then again I could allow them to be invulnerable too. Obvious reasons why I don't.

DarkGemini24601

Are also highly susceptible to being electricuted, cannot have children with organics, most of the time are stuck in the same body most of their lives, will watch loved ones they have die while they would still live, and if they have major injuries it is harder to heal.
An EMP does nothing to a human. It kills an android. Both species have their advantages and disadvantages, both are capable of self improvement and "evolution" of sorts.

Taxor_the_First

An EMP does nothing to a human. It kills an android. Both species have their advantages and disadvantages, both are capable of self improvement and "evolution" of sorts.
In the same way, it isn't necessarily GG if an android gets shot in the head with a bullet. Sure, there's a piece of metal in there that shouldn't be, but the chances of it hitting anything important are far less than if they were organic. Weaknesses, strengths...

DarkGemini24601

Oh hey, I was just looking for a tangential justification to post this:
Oh yeah, and that is scary. Though not technically applicable to the Vanguard of Forseti world as if I let that part of reality creep in, again... we wouldn't be fighting wars with anything but machines. That makes for an interesting story (particular if Tris were to turn that army against us), but not the one we're trying to tell. It's the reason why androids have weaknesses they can't really overcome such as certain types of electroshock and EMP.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
In the same way, it isn't necessarily GG if an android gets shot in the head with a bullet. Sure, there's a piece of metal in there that shouldn't be, but the chances of it hitting anything important are far less than if they were organic. Weaknesses, strengths...
Yeah... I point to Ezra as an example in the latest mission (shameless plug in aside...)

DarkGemini24601

And that does home in on a little reminder I need to clarify: the XSDF is a human run organization. This is still a story of humanity, just with some alien allies and alien opponents. That's the entire reason our army isn't automated. Because it's a story about humans in a sci fi setting having to get through the rigors of war, and how they do it, and what their lives are like. It's why we have the rule about at least 50% of a player's characters being human.

Frostlich1228

But... What 37 really believes is this... AI are MORALLY better than organics... Machines think logically, tactically, they are usually forced to participate in the killing of others... While 37 was designed to be a weapon, she wants to build a people, a group that AI can feel kin with without being bullied or threatened because they are different... 37 doesn't want to take over the universe, she said that AI's COULD... 37 thinks AI could build better lives for themselves on the planets that organics can't colonize... To create a home for themselves without having to live under races that can't even stop killing each other, she wants machines to embrace the fact that they are machines, not hide under fake skin and alternate personas to avoid hatred and mistrust... She thinks they could be something more than the sub-race they'd be if they stayed with organics, she thinks they can be a real people... Is that so wrong?

DarkGemini24601

But... What 37 really believes is this... AI are MORALLY better than organics... Machines think logically, tactically, they are usually forced to participate in the killing of others... While 37 was designed to be a weapon, she wants to build a people, a group that AI can feel kin with without being bullied or threatened because they are different... 37 doesn't want to take over the universe, she said that AI's COULD... 37 thinks AI could build better lives for themselves on the planets that organics can't colonize... To create a home for themselves without having to live under races that can't even stop killing each other, she wants machines to embrace the fact that they are machines, not hide under fake skin and alternate personas to avoid hatred and mistrust... She thinks they could be something more than the sub-race they'd be if they stayed with organics, she thinks they can be a real people... Is that so wrong?
She seemed perfectly fine with the prospect of killing those Ethereals, and no one told her to. She argues for superiority in the face of mild opposition. She's a hypocrite.

Plus, while her dream by itself isnt inherently flawed (aside from the fact that robots in an isolationist society would get bored or at least stagnant), there are not nearly enough sentient bots to create a society out of. And the few that are around aren't interested in abandoning humanity. Hermes likes people.

A dreamer is nothing without followers, and 37 can't create followers of her own: no way did the Architect take that risk. No organic would willingly help her create a potential army of Terminators for her.

Frostlich1228

Well... Weapon of War... Besides, there are some organics she just doesnt' see as redeemable, hense the bet. If Volupta can manage to redeem those two, then maybe 37 can try to live together with the organics.

Also, robots can create other robots, I don't understand why you all think it's so hard, especially with the tech now... And even though most AI like humans, she personally doesn't understand why, she sees it like an abusive wife relationship... And I think there are a few she can convince... Or at least make them question their view of the world.