X-COM RP THINK TANK (part2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostlich1228

I might not make it in time for that then. Besides, I'm not sure if little rookie Juni would even qualify for a big mission yet? Or if I do write her bio in time, then maybe we could do something like, "Hello rookie, we're short handed right now, you're on the mission. Good luck and have fun." I love subjecting my characters to emotional and physical trauma. Haa... I'm a terrible person.

You too? :D

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I might not make it in time for that then. Besides, I'm not sure if little rookie Juni would even qualify for a big mission yet? Or if I do write her bio in time, then maybe we could do something like, "Hello rookie, we're short handed right now, you're on the mission. Good luck and have fun." I love subjecting my characters to emotional and physical trauma. Haa... I'm a terrible person.
Just make sure you get in within the next week or so, and you'll be in time for the base defense. It would be a great way for your character to prove herself by having her first mission be driving the aliens out of the base.

And remember, you guys are free to join in the main defense in central, or do your own thing. I'll have two of my characters in the main defense, while the others will be doing things elsewhere.

The question is, who will make it, and who will fall. I can tell you now, with the characters I control including Morrigan, Brigid, Brandford, Vahlen, Shen, Sunny, Jessica, Alexia, Ayame, Aya, Eve, and Dante (as well as a therapist, if anyone needs someone to talk to), not everyone would make it. After all, it would be a huge coincidence if all twelve of them made it. So we'll likely be losing two of them, possibly three. Haven't completely made up my mind which, and I'd love to hear everyone's guesses as to who it might end up being.

DarkGemini24601

Just make sure you get in within the next week or so, and you'll be in time for the base defense. It would be a great way for your character to prove herself by having her first mission be driving the aliens out of the base.

And remember, you guys are free to join in the main defense in central, or do your own thing. I'll have two of my characters in the main defense, while the others will be doing things elsewhere.

The question is, who will make it, and who will fall. I can tell you now, with the characters I control including Morrigan, Brigid, Brandford, Vahlen, Shen, Sunny, Jessica, Alexia, Ayame, Aya, Eve, and Dante (as well as a therapist, if anyone needs someone to talk to), not everyone would make it. After all, it would be a huge coincidence if all twelve of them made it. So we'll likely be losing two of them, possibly three. Haven't completely made up my mind which, and I'd love to hear everyone's guesses as to who it might end up being.
Breakdown:

Morrigan - Unlikely, because without her we might just be screwed. It would take Frost's cruelty and a lot of guts, so its unlikely.
Brigid - Is even Frost that cruel?

Vahlen, Shen, and Bradford - I would have to suspect one of them since they're less important to the story and could be used as cannon fodder.

Jessica/Alexia - It would take something weird for one of them to die and not the other, but with psionics it might be possible. One of them might be the second, due to how much of an effect that would have on the other characters, especially Modya. Perhaps done so the relationship doesn't stagnate.

Sunny - She's becoming more independent and strong, if a bit arrogant. I fear that arrogance could be her downfall, though we'll see...it doesn't seem that bad yet.

Ayame - This would be a surprising one, but not entirely impossible. Ayame's never died in a RP, after all. Perhaps the third?

Aya - She's come close to dying, though considering not many people have talked to her yet...that could prevent her from dying, or it could be a reason to kill her off. That said, because I guessed that one of the staff members would die for similar reasons, I doubt both would die for the same reason.

Eve - I don't know, somehow I just don't see it happening. The fact that killing her off before revealing more of her backstory would be a huge surprise to me, and I have reason to believe she's supposed to meet other people of mine.

Dante - I suspect he could be one, mainly because the aliens badly want to shut him up.

Frostlich1228

Breakdown:

Morrigan - Unlikely, because without her we might just be screwed. It would take Frost's cruelty and a lot of guts, so its unlikely.
Brigid - Is even Frost that cruel?

Vahlen, Shen, and Bradford - I would have to suspect one of them since they're less important to the story and could be used as cannon fodder.

Jessica/Alexia - It would take something weird for one of them to die and not the other, but with psionics it might be possible. One of them might be the second, due to how much of an effect that would have on the other characters, especially Modya. Perhaps done so the relationship doesn't stagnate.

Sunny - She's becoming more independent and strong, if a bit arrogant. I fear that arrogance could be her downfall, though we'll see...it doesn't seem that bad yet.

Ayame - This would be a surprising one, but not entirely impossible. Ayame's never died in a RP, after all. Perhaps the third?

Aya - She's come close to dying, though considering not many people have talked to her yet...that could prevent her from dying, or it could be a reason to kill her off. That said, because I guessed that one of the staff members would die for similar reasons, I doubt both would die for the same reason.

Eve - I don't know, somehow I just don't see it happening. The fact that killing her off before revealing more of her backstory would be a huge surprise to me, and I have reason to believe she's supposed to meet other people of mine.

Dante - I suspect he could be one, mainly because the aliens badly want to shut him up.

This is a toughie but I'd say kill off Aya and Shen.

Maybe Shen could take a bullet for Sunny, that would be pretty sad :/

BMPixy

My bets are on Morrigan, Ayame, and Dante. Side bets are on Brigid (perhaps dying in Morrigan's arms?), Jessica and Alexia (perhaps while making a call to Modya?), Bradford (if only to hammer home how dangerous the aliens are), and lastly Shen or Vahlen (perhaps in front of one of their PC subordinates?).

Of course, there's probably little doubt that I'm not going to kill any of my characters, regardless of how I plot and scheme. But, all I ask is three things: what is the method in which the aliens gain control of so many base staff, who on base has shown a history of being susceptible to that method, and how much of an asshole I am?

Frostlich1228

My bets are on Morrigan, Ayame, and Dante. Side bets are on Brigid (perhaps dying in Morrigan's arms?), Jessica and Alexia (perhaps while making a call to Modya?), Bradford (if only to hammer home how dangerous the aliens are), and lastly Shen or Vahlen (perhaps in front of one of their PC subordinates?).

Wow, you're worse than me :p

BMPixy

Wow, you're worse than me :p

I ascribe to the maxim 'If you want a villain to be taken seriously, have them kill off a well-developed character on-screen, with little warning, and in a way that shows that the villain means business. Then your readers will be scared.'

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
But, all I ask is three things: what is the method in which the aliens gain control of so many base staff, who on base has shown a history of being susceptible to that method, and how much of an asshole I am?
Um... service elevators and cargo entries, anyone showing signs of high activity in the precuneus before the attack, and that's a loaded question.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Question. If Brigid mind controls people with her demands then why didn't Alexia agree to give her the Gene Mods she asked for? Just curious :)

The mind control works (because I decided to have it work like this) by directly influencing a persons precuneus, a section of the brain committed in part to personal memory, mental imagery, reflections upon self, and aspects of consciousness.

Other psions aren't effected because they have more mental barriers in thier minds to protect themselves from the strain of their own powers, and these barriers keep them out.

Alexia is a unique case. The mind control reaches her mind, but she simply ignores it (in a manner of speaking). As a secondary personality, much of her existence exists resides within Jessica's subconscious, and she has a lot less access to personal memory, and less of an sense of self, as her 'self' is technically someone else. Because of this, she relies a lot less on the precuneus when she is in control, and thus the mind control is ineffective on her.

Of course, this only works because she isn't the primary consciousness, not because of a resistant will. If it had been Jessica, Brigid would be in a pod right now getting modded (at least until someone else noticed and pulled her out).

Good catch, by the way. I'm glad you noticed.

BMPixy

The mind control works (because I decided to have it work like this) by directly influencing a persons precuneus, a section of the brain committed in part to personal memory, mental imagery, reflections upon self, and aspects of consciousness.

Other psions aren't effected because they have more mental barriers in thier minds to protect themselves from the strain of their own powers, and these barriers keep them out.

Alexia is a unique case. The mind control reaches her mind, but she simply ignores it (in a manner of speaking). As a secondary personality, much of her existence exists resides within Jessica's subconscious, and she has a lot less access to personal memory, and less of an sense of self, as her 'self' is technically someone else. Because of this, she relies a lot less on the precuneus when she is in control, and thus the mind control is ineffective on her.

Of course, this only works because she isn't the primary consciousness, not because of a resistant will. If it had been Jessica, Brigid would be in a pod right now getting modded (at least until someone else noticed and pulled her out).

Good catch, by the way. I'm glad you noticed.

MINOVSKY PHYSICS!

Ahem, I mean, good application of modern science to speculative fiction in a way that makes sense within the context of the narrative.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MINOVSKY PHYSICS!

Ahem, I mean, good application of modern science to speculative fiction in a way that makes sense within the context of the narrative.
tumblr_mkwoduUv711qdoq4co4_250_zps8634e643.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.