X-COM/XSDF RP THINK TANK (part3)

DarkGemini24601

In summary, while I see a lot of good in the beginnings of anti bank/monopoly efforts. Then a silver lining of good works but nothing unexpected. And finally some things I disagree with.

Statement: Obama was an OK president but we need more if possible.

DarkGemini24601

Trust me, once you have it, you won't want to lose it. We have free healthcare in Britain, and the current government is trying to cut it.
The issue is my dad is a doctor and he's gone to lengths about why the bill doesnt work. Our bill. Ill ask him about it when I get home.

Alzdude28

Granted, everyone accomplishes something. I doubt there has every been a president thats been a parasite. 1 and 2 I get. The Hate Crime stuff I'd be careful about. (Opinion!) Hate Crime is a scary term because it could be used to punish someone just for using a slur. Which, even if its racist to call someone a n***** or a cracker, thats free speech.

Weakening the power of banks? I can get behind that.

Stimulus packages are neutral. Funding is normal, results are good.

Shareholders determiming executive pay seems good.

Making parents pay for healthcare is circumstantial. If you go to college then that makes sense, but if you go straight to work that seems inconvinenent.

The statistic sayig women are paid less is inaccurate. It draws from ALL women as a total. The issue therein is you couldnt reasoanbly have the two sexes paid an equal amount across the bord. And the jobs women tend towards in interest seem to pay less. (My conclusion!) The Wage Gap issue is a myth, and I could look up a page that had a bumch of sources related to that if need be.

Helping wounded warriors and stuff is good.

Increased minority access to capital. Well thats nondescript tells me nothing specific and goes in my "meh" catagory.

Helping national parks. Cute, not bad. I like me my national parks.
Sadly, the wage gap isn't a myth, at least not in Britain, a woman is often paid far less for the same job as a man. However, I don't know if it's the same in the US.

DarkGemini24601

(opinion!) I might be naive about sayinng this, but I'm a laser pointer persom. Find a couple of issues and tackle them with the best you have as president, and then move onto the next set of problems. Try to fix too much at once and you get nothing done.

DarkGemini24601

For instance, I highly doubt our massive debt can be solved in 1-2 terms. The presidential practical goal should be LOWERING DEBT. The realistic goal.

DarkGemini24601

And the source I gave does acknwoledge slight discrepancies, I grant that, the 77 cent statistic is "correct" in context, but is a gross oversimplification of the issue.

Unless women as a whole decide they all want to go into fields currently capturing the interest of men, an overall gap not based on discrimination will persist. Whereas there is no reason for individual pay of EQUAL working hours and the SAME job to be different for any reasom, and it doesnt seem like that is true eother.

DarkGemini24601

That just goes back to my feeling that if you want to have an opinion on an issue you'd better know what you're talking about or be prepared to back up with sources/possibly change your opinion.

(Sources mean more than biased wikipedia)

BMPixy

In summary, while I see a lot of good in the beginnings of anti bank/monopoly efforts. Then a silver lining of good works but nothing unexpected. And finally some things I disagree with.

Statement: Obama was an OK president but we need more if possible.

Though you have to remember, a lot of this was done with a Congress notable for the fact that a Publican showed up with a bucket of snow, claiming global warming was a myth because of that.

Radical feminists make an issue out of everything. (Opinion.)

True, but sometimes it is necessary to make issues out of things, so that they can be critically examined and analyzed.

DarkGemini24601

Though you have to remember, a lot of this was done with a Congress notable for the fact that a Publican showed up with a bucket of snow, claiming global warming was a myth because of that.

True, but sometimes it is necessary to make issues out of things, so that they can be critically examined and analyzed.
Well, an issue out of things that matter. Equal pay is important to verify and protect, you can quote me on that.

Those two guys getting arrested by the NYPD for "manspreading" was hilariously ridiculous though.

DarkGemini24601

Nah, I (opinion!) have different reasons for believing certain things about global warming are inaccurate. Noteably the "humans did it!" Narrative.

DarkGemini24601

For one I'd site this and then expand off of it.

http://www.napsnet.com/pdf_archive/34/50144.pdf

The author makes an interesting point of how the models we use to test climate theories are lacking certain key elements, and naturally the scope of the Earth itself. We can't be entirely sure humans are the biggest factor. We might not be helping but we don't need to go full Raas Ahl Ghul on outselves.

We're rational beings. Instead of feeling guilty because of research pointing to tbe possibility of human activity warming the climate we should continue to monitor the sotuation and take reasonable steps.

Like make fusion reactors viable. Who doesnt want power that doesnt rely ok the sun but instead harnesses mini stars?

BMPixy

Nah, I (opinion!) have different reasons for believing certain things about global warming are inaccurate. Noteably the "humans did it!" Narrative.

Due to being on mobile, I can't post an image showing how wrong you are, but I can link to the site that I found it on: http://www.ablemesh.co.uk/thoughtsinconvenienttruth.html

For one I'd site this and then expand off of it.

http://www.napsnet.com/pdf_archive/34/50144.pdf

The author makes an interesting point of how the models we use to test climate theories are lacking certain key elements, and naturally the scope of the Earth itself. We can't be entirely sure humans are the biggest factor. We might not be helping but we don't need to go full Raas Ahl Ghul on outselves.

We're rational beings. Instead of feeling guilty because of research pointing to tbe possibility of human activity warming the climate we should continue to monitor the sotuation and take reasonable steps.

Like make fusion reactors viable. Who doesnt want power that doesnt rely ok the sun but instead harnesses mini stars?

Afaik, I don't really see any groups besides your token crazies pushing for that kinda thing. Science can, in an area the size of the city I live in, produce enough solar energy for the entire US. The issue is that big oil doesn't want that, and they use their lobbyists to prevent funding for that.