RP XCOM2: Liberation of Earth

Dahlexpert

Thae fallowing is a colabe between Dhalexpert & Zombiesplitter53

Making grown up decisions

Onboard the Avenger
Barracks

Alexis rolled her shoulder as she made her way to Yakone's room. She pounded her fist on the door. "Yo! You in there, Yak? I've got some free time."

The door opened and to Alexis surprise, Lilith was on the other side, yawning. "Oh, Alexis. I didn't expect to see you. You come to see Luke?"

Alexis shrugged. "Whoever is available. I'm finished with work, training, and exercising, and I want to have Some fun."

"Hmm... well, Luke is currently taking a shower, after his work, training, and so on. But I would like to talk to you, Alexis."

"Yeah? Sure." Alexis stepped into the room and say on one of the beds. "Not going to beat me up again, are you?"

"No, no, nothing like that, I'm just curious." Lilith sat on one of the beds and leaned forward. "So tell me Alexis. What is your relationship with my nephew?"

"My... relationship with..." Alexis shrugged. "Well, we flirt. We kiss, we bump uglies. We touch each other when no one is looking. Sometimes, we sneak into one of the supply closets for an afternoon bonk."

"Alexis, I'm serious. The reason I ask is because the last mission caught my eye. When Luke lost it, you went to him with no fear, and that impressed me."

Alexis rubbed the back of her neck. "Well... of course. Luke is a cool guy, and a fellow soldier. When I saw him hurt, I was compelled to help him. Any way I could."

"Alexis, you may not understand what you did, but let me explain. I've seen Luke kill entire gangs when he's like that. That was Luke from years ago. That was the murdering psycho Luke. So the fact that he didn't barbeque you, but instead he came out of it the second he saw you, was amazing."

Alexis blinked a few times, and rubbed the goosebumps on her arms. "Oh, I... i-it just came natural to me. I-I didn't realize I was in danger..."

"That you were, and I'm shocked that you said that it came naturally. You falling for my boy Alexis? Because based on what you did, I say that you are. And it's clear that Luke cares for you to since when he saw you and instantly snapped out of it."

Alexis shook her head, and let out a nervous chuckled. "You, uh... you're reading too much into it. I... I just... d-did my job."

"Alexis, I wouldn't mind if you like my boy. Hell, I would almost I hope you do. After all, I'm not going to be here forever, and you both are the same age, and will be around each other practically forever. I wouldn't mind if you loved him."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Alex jumped to her feet and held up her hands. "W-who said anything about love? I just... Like is c-cool and all, but... y-you're... come on!"

"Hmm... I seem to have come on too strong. But tell me, do you care for Luke in a romantic kind of way?"

Alexis rubbed her wrist nervously. "I-I don't know. Is... I've never had those feelings for anyone... I think. So I wouldn't know if I had them now. W-we... we're buds, you know?"

Lilith started to laugh. "Oh, you and Luke are the same. Both care for one another yet don't know what romantic feelings feel like. You, who probably never been around that many guys before, and him actually being around a woman he could possibly like and doesn't know what to do about it. Oh, I can't wait to see your two's emotions boil over. Oh, what you two could do together."

Alexis raised an eyebrow and placed her hands on her hips. "Like what?"

"Alexis, use you imagination and take a good guess." Lilith said with a sly smile.

"Eww..." Alexis narrowed her eyes. "You're kinda pervy for his aunt-mom."

"Heh. Well, call it me missing my youth. But in all seriousness, I do love my boy, but I want him to be with someone. Like I said, I won't be here forever. I want to be sure someone can bring him back to his senses if he loses it."

Alexis shrugged. "Other then me bringing him out of murderous rages, what makes you think I'm any good for him?"

"Well, I think you both have room to grow. You both flirt and you both are a tease to each other. But mostly I think if you ever do love him, you would love him more then I ever can, and you're loyal, so there's that as will."

Alexis sighed. "I... I-I like him. But... love is a bit of a strong word, don't you think?"

"Well, I'm old, and I'm just having a little fun. Plus, I think you would make a great solder one day. And my tribe has always been on the side of solders. We always admired people that can handle there own. And I think my boy is the same. Besides, some people think your a couple anyway, and they think he's cheating on you."

"Cheating on me?" Alexis raised an eyebrow. "With who? Not... not that it matters, of course."

"Well, shockingly, with this blond woman named Gwen. Their first encounter was... not pleasant. Next thing I know, they started to talk, they trained together, and went to dinner. And according to Luke, she kissed him a few times."

"O-oh... really?" Alexis smiled softly. "That's... nice. So... so why aren't you having this talk with Gwen? If they've already started kissing and stuff..."

Dahlexpert

Part 2

"Because I think Gwen is moving a little to fast. Hell, even Luke was taken aback when she did it. You on the other hand take your time and I like that. Both you and Luke aren't in a rush for a relationship. I think Luke likes you more then you think. He typically would have left by now if there was even a chance at a relationship. But with you, well... I saw Luke after the mission, and well he had a different look. One of him being happy. He had a genuine smile on his face."

Lillith rubbed her head "Look, Alexis. I'm not asking you to rush things. Both you and Luke will have your fun, but just know that Luke will mature more. He's maturing more since he joined this project. Eventually, Luke will be done flirting, and will want to be in a serous relationship. I'm not sure when but probably soon. What will do when your favorite flirt buddy wants more?"

"I-I... don't know..." Alexis frowned. "I guess... I'll have to do some thinking about the two of us, huh?"

Lilith patted Alexis' shoulder. "Look dear, you're both young. Have fun while you can and just enjoy yourselves. But when Luke gets serious, and I'm not sure when that will happen, but I'm sure you will make the right decision."

Alexis nodded. "I will. Don't worry."

The door opened and Luke entered his room wearing some shorts but no shirt, reveling his strong figure, with a towel on his head. "Sigh... nothing beats beer in the shower after a long day of training. Man, fire cracker is starting to become my favorite move. Hey, aunt, I think I'm gonna..." Luke took the towel off his head and noticed Alexis with his aunt. "Beauty, what are you doing here?" Luke asked, ignoring the fact that he was half naked.

Alexis looked away from him. "U-uh... just... chatting with your aunt here. Came looking for... um, something to do."

Luke noticed quickly that she turned away from him. "What say to her?"

Lilith got up and headed for the door, going past Luke. "Oh nothing. Enjoy your alone time, both of you." Lilith left Alexis and Luke alone.

"Damn woman. Yo beauty what did my aunt say to you?"

"N-nothing. Just shooting the breeze. Um..." Alexis chuckled nervously. "You want me to step out while you get dressed?"

"No, it's fine. I need just a few things." Luke went to his dresser and pulled out his a shirt and some jeans. While turned around, Alexis could see the rest of Luke's body, and a few scars and burns, as well as the healed wound on his shoulder.

Alexis couldn't help but examine him. "You... you've been through a lot, huh?"

"Hmm? Yeah. I told you I've been through a lot since I was a child." Luke put's his jeans on top of his shorts and looked at Alexis. "Alright beauty, what's up? You are acting weird. Where's the confident, flirtatious tease that I come to know? Because your acting nervous as hell."

"N-nothing. I just..." Alexis' eyes kept darting down to his chest. "I'm not used to being around... h-half naked men," she admitted.

"Oh, really? So there is a shy girl under all that bravado, huh? Alright... alright." Luke grabbed a white and purple shirt and put it on. "There now. I'm fully clothed. Well except for my feet. Please tell me you're not scared of feet. Because if you are, I will tease you."

Alexis pouted a bit. "No. I am not afraid of feet, jerk."

Luke sighed and went to Alexis, sitting next to her. "Hey, are you alright? You're not being you. I mean, you're not flirting or being your carefree self." Luke reached around Alexis and brought her closer to him. "Look Alexis, talk to. What's up? Did my aunt tell you something?" Luke asked with some concern in his voice.

"Just... Luke... can I ask you something... a little weird?"

"Um... sure. It's not like you asked me anything weird before."

Alexis took a deep breath. "What do you think about... me, Luke?"

"What do I think of you?" Luke rubbed his neck. "I knew that woman would try and do this." Luke took a deep breath. "Honestly, I like you, Alexis. I can be myself around you. I can flirt and tease you. Plus, you're a free spirit like me."

"And... what do you think about... us?"
Sigh... I'm going to regret this, I like to tease her, but do I want to go that far?Luke remembers what Gwen did to him and looked at AlexisAlright well. if I'm going to lose one of them or both, it will be on my terms.Luke brought Alexis closer and kissed her lips "That's what I think about us. I'm not sure if you feel the same. So you can ether leave now and it can be weird between us, or do you want more? Or... you can slap me."
Alexis placed her fingers on her lips in surprise. "That... that was my... first kiss..."

Luke eyes widened in surprise "Oh... well, damn. Ugh, crap. I fucked up. I fucked up didn't I?" Luke rubbed the back of head. "Look Alexis, I'm... I didn't know that was your first."And here comes the slap.

Alexis slowly smiled. "It... it was kinda... nice, actually."

"Oh... well then...."You know what? To hell with it! if i'm going down, might as well have some fun.Luke pressed his lips against Alexis' again, only this time kissing, he held her a bit longer.
Alexis closed her eyes. Unsure of what she was doing, she just tried to follow his lead. Luke decided to take the lead and brought Alexis onto his lap. "You know, I like this more girly side of you. Heh, you look so cute like this." Luke said, smiling at Alexis.

Dahlexpert

Part 3

Alexis grinned, and slugged him in the arm. "Don't get ahead of yourself, punk."

"Oh? And why is that?"

"I might be a woman, but the moment you start treating me like a girly girl, I'll knock you on your ass."

Luke couldn't help but laugh. "See, this is why I like you. Stubborn no matter what, and never girly girly. That's what I love about you."

Alexis scratched her chin. "So, uh... are we, like... boyfriend and girlfriend now or something?"

"I don't know. Do you want to be?"

Alexis chuckled. "I think your aunt wants us to be."

"The hell to what she thinks. What do you want?"

Alexis giggled, and placed her hands on his shoulders. "Might be nice to give it a try. I think we should."

Luke laughed. "Oh beauty... yeah. Two wild people who never dated will date each other. Well, this should be interesting. Dang, that means I'm going to have to stop flirting." Luke said jokingly.

"Don't you dare stop with me," Alexis said, pushing against his chest. "I like the flirting, you sexy hunk. Don't get boring on me now."

"Oh, I'm a sexy hunk now, you beautiful bombshell?" Luke lightly kisses Alexis. "You know, my teasing might just go a little far. I might start groping, kissing you around others, being an overall ass."

Alexis placed her forehead against his. "Don't worry, Luke. I'll keep you in line. You can bet on it."

"Oh, will you know? I can't wait to see you try, darling." Luke brought her closer to him and embraced her. "Heh, you know, over all, this just might be fun dating. Never thought I would be doing that. These feelings I'm getting... they're nice. So this is affection for others besides your family. I could get used to this."
Alexis laughed. "Yeah. Me two. Though I'm just happy to get to make new friends. A boyfriend is a bonus."

"Heh, yeah. A girlfriend...girlfriend. Man, that is weird to say. I'm going to have to get used to this. Never thought I would have a girlfriend." Luke held Alexis even tighter "Hey Alexis... thanks for giving me a chance. It means a lot."

"Well, why wouldn't I?" Alexis grinned. "Just because your aunt said I was lucky you didn't barbecue me? Because I like living in the edge."

"Hmm... you are easily the craziest woman I ever met for that, by the way. But you're easily the sexiest woman I've met, and your playful personality is a great, and the big boobs are a wonderful bonus." Luke said smiling at Alexis.

Alexis laughed. "And you, sir, are incredibly handsome, fun to be around, charming, clever, and have a rocking body."

Luke laughed. "And you, girly, are gorgeous, playful, very energetic, and of course have a wonderful body."

Alexis thought for a second. "So... um... what do we do now?"

"How about we go drinking? Consider it our first date as a couple."

Alexis bound off his lap, and stretched her arms. "Sounds like my kind of date."

"I figured you'd like that." Luke offered his hand to Alexis "So doll, shall we give this a shot, and send most of the ship into a loony bin of rumors?"

Alexis squeezed his hand. "Sounds like a ton of fun. I can't wait to see how my sister reacts."

"Yeah, and I can't wait to see everyone else's reaction. Oh, I can feel people getting jealous already."

Alexis leaned against him. "Of which one of us?"

"Well, you have some admirers darling, and of course some woman like me too. So if people see us as a couple, there might be some hate."

Alexis shrugged, and pulled him towards the door. "Let the haters hate. We have each other."

"Yeah... each other." Luke opens the door for Alexis, but when he opened the door Lilith was there.

She saw that Luke and Alexis were holding each other's hand, and she steps to the side. "Enjoy your evening you two. And Alex? Please don't bring him back."

Luke narrowed his eyes "Yeah... I love you two."

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
New Beginnings

Gwen slowly punched the bag in front of her, having been coming into the gym to workout. However, it only lasted so long. Now, she just felt as if she had a tiny hole in her chest that made it a little hard to breathe, a constant feeling of idiocy following her like a dark cloud.

Why did I kiss him? It was all just a mistake. I acted too quickly, wanted to be… Wanted so badly. And now he is Alexia’s boyfriend. Well… well good for her, I didn’t want him anyways! Gwen yelled in her head, kicking the sandbag so hard she winced in pain and fell on on her butt, rubbing her red colored bare foot.

“Something is bothering you.” A soft voice said behind her, which only caused the French girl to lower her head, her brother squatting down and touching her shoulder.

“Nothing is wrong Leon.” She said, shaling her head. Yeah, not like he was mine to lose anyways…

“I know you too well to know that is bullshit.” The Grenadier let out a frustrated sigh, helping the woman stand up. “And I also know you well enough to know the cause.”

Gwen tensed, rubbing her arm. “No you don’t Leon…” The girl shook her head, quickly going to leave.

However, she could not evade the man who had been her second half. Leon quickly made his way back to her side, looking at her with a sideways glance. “This is Devon all over again and you know it.”

The woman scoffed, crossing her arms. “Is not! He left me for Advent while Luke left me for another girl he liked more!”

There was silence between the two sibling before Leon laughed softly. “Thought you said nothing was bothering you.” He noted.

Gwen went red in the face and walked faster, “Yeah, you’re annoying me!” You wouldn’t understand Leon… i know you want to, but you just… Can’t…

“Oh come on, now you are just being unfair Ms. De Saint Pierre.” The Canadian man teased his sister lightlightheartedly.

“Now’s not the time Leon!” Gwen scolded her brother, and now she ran as fast as she could away from him, back to their room.

The man scratched his head, letting his arm fall. “Damn it… how could she get so worked up over this?” He asked himself, walking back at a faster pace then before.

Arriving at the door, he knocked on it. “Gwen? You alright? I’m coming in so be decent.” Leon slowly opened the door and that is when he saw Gwen the the knife. His eyes widened and he rushed forward. “No!” He exclaimed, but it was too late, and he caught Gwen and slowly went to the floor with her. “Why!? Why the hell did you do that!?” He asked angrily.

“Hey, don’t get mad at me!” Gwen yelled at her brother, ths knife in her hand being thrown to the side as Gwen’s hair was cut short down to her neck.

“I will! That was your pride and joy, and you went and cut it for no reason…” Leon said with a shake of his head.

Gwen scrunched up her face and huffed. “It wasn’t for no reason! I can’t believe you Leon. Did you really forget!?”

“Forget…?” Leon asked, scratching the side of his face.

Nine years earlier, outskirts of long abandoned town in the New Vancouver area.

Leon led the thirteen year old crying girl he had saved mere hours before by the hand, a soft smile on his face. In French, the only language the girl seemed to know, he told her, “It is okay. You aren’t going to be hurt by anyone ever again.”

Occasionally, the girl he had found was named Gwendoline, tried escaping from him but the attempts were futile and desperate at best, not even the girl herself feeling like escape was the best option. Soon they came out of the heavily wooded area they had been walking through and out into a clearing. There was a fire lit, and a man who was gray yet not too wrinkled sat by the firing, lowering the rifle he had raised when he heard the noise. “Leon… Who… Is your friend there?”

The boy went over and sat Gwen down on a log, who pouted and turned, crossing her arms. “I saved her… From… Um… hehe… funny story… i may have… sorta… killed an Advent execution squad about to kill her.”

June’s jaw clenched and his eyebrow twitched a bit but he let out a sigh and calmly asked, “Leon, how many times have I told you to never take on a squad on your own?”

“I know you did but come on Grandpa! Look at her! I couldn’t just let her be killed! Her mother had already been shot!” Leon told the man, flailing his arms as if it excentuated his point.

However, the grandfather stared down the boy, who only returned the challenge, and it wasn’t long before June chuckled and nodded his head, rubbing the top of his head. “Your heart is too big for your brain my boy.”

“Nanny…” A soft voice called out.

Both men turned and Leon went to the girl. “Excuse me?”

“She… She was my nanny…” The girl responded warily in French that was broken up by her tears.

“Oh… I see… sorry. Um… My name is Leon if you didn’t hear before. This is my granddad June.” Leon said, pointing to the older man. Instictively, Gwen shrunked down and she grabbed onto Leon’s arm hard. The Canadian born teen merely chuckling. “I know. He is scary.”

Leon looked over the girl, how dirty she had gotten and he frowned, taking out a hunting knife. The French girl immediately was filled with terror but instead of hurting her, Leon slowly began cutting her matted rat’s nest that was her hair still it was short, barely past her neck. He then put away the knife and licked his thumb, starting to clean her up and it wasnt perfect but she looked better.

“W… Why?” Gwen asked, reaching up to touch her shortened hair.

“Well… New look means new beginnings. This is a new beginning, so now you have a new look.” Leon said, smiling.

Gwen looked away, mumbling, “What an idiot…” She noted, however it took everything she had not to smirk.

Back in present day of the Avenger.

“You are an idiot if you could forget.” Gwen told the man in front of her, smirking.

“Oh yeah… First night we were together. Would never forget that. Was extremely special to me.” Leon said with a laugh.

Gwen looked up. “W-Why?”

“Was the first night of our life together. You are the most important person to me Gwen.” Leon rubbed the now short blonde woman’s head, laughing.

Gwen’s eyes widened a bit and she laughed with him, tearing up. “Yeah… same.” Idiot...

Black0ut

ZombieSplitter53 & Black0ut present

Mysterious Guardians, Pt.1

2236 hours

June 15th

The gym's bustling atmosphere had long since ceased, the night time hours indicating that people had gone to bed. A man sat against a wall, near a punching bag, with his eyes closed.

Charon...I haven't seen or heard you since the incident. Why did you come back to help me? I mean, I appreciate the assistance, but why? Why help me? Red thought.

Because I care about you. I would never allow you to be killed. So, even after you told me to leave you, I watched over you instead, making sure you survived any ordeal you came across. Including the little town you escaped from.

I see... Red thought, getting up from his sitting position as he went over to a treadmill and started running.

"Didn't expect to find anyone down here so late." Alexis stepped on to the treadmill next to him, wearing her small gym clothes that showed off her bust and every curve.

"Well, I needed to blow some steam off. You?" Red replied, turning his head towards his fellow soldier.

Alexis grinned. "I like to exercise!" She switched on the treadmill, starting with a fast walk. "Nothing beats the exhilaration of finishing all the reps you wanted plus one more, the feel of sweat dripping down your body, the euphoria of the endorphins after you've pushed yourself to the edge."

"I see...so, how are you? I mean, last mission we almost lost a few people, and I was wondering how you were holding up, after being a part of that?" Red asked quietly, a somber expression on his face.

Alexis' smile dropped, and she sped up to a light jog. "I-I'm fine. W-why wouldn't I be? H-how about you?"

"I'm okay. However, judging from your tone and voice, you're not coping well. So," Red stopped his machine, "Tell me how you really feel."

Alexis upped it to a full run, looking irritating. "You doubling as a therapist now... whatever your name was?"

"Only when the situation demands it, Trooper. Whether you talk to me or you talk to someone else, you need to vent. Everyone does." The Sioux responded, turning his machine back on.

Alexis sighed, an odd action to do when running and breathing hard. "I didn't do anything last mission. I just sat back and let everyone else do the work. All I did was heal, and I couldn't even do that right. If I did, Yakone wouldn't have been pulled out."

I see. I didn't do hot either on the battlefield. I was little more than an additional target for ADVENT to shoot at." Red replied, stopping his machine again. "Here's a piece of wisdom a friend of mine gave me: Even though you did your best, you'll always feel like could have done more. 'Maybe if I did this, maybe that event wouldn't have happened.' Life is strange and will oftentimes screw you over with horrible situations. So even when everything goes bad, know that good things will later come to you. "

Alexis lowered her gaze. "I know I shouldn't feel like this. But after my failings in the first mission... than this... I guess it is all a blow to my confidence."

Then do things that fill you with pride. Maybe spar with someone. If you don't try to improve your confidence, then you'll be stuck feeling like this." Red advised.

Alexis slowed the treadmill to a stop, breathing heavily. "Well... you want to... spar?"

Red shrugged, "Sure, why not? If we end up fighting together again, it'd be useful to know each other's fighting style." The Sioux man responded, a slight smile on his face.

Alexis stepped off the treadmill and taking a minute to catch her breath. She took a chug of water, and asked, "You don't mind fighting a girl, do you?"

"Depends on the situation." Red responded vaguely.

Alexia made a face, grabbing some purple gloves that matched her hair. "If that means you plan to go easy on mean, I look forward to kicking your ass."

"We'll see." Red muttered quietly, grabbing blue gloves.

"I like a man who is confident." Alex stepped into the sparring ring. "And since we were never formally introduced, I'm Alexis Chambers."

"Mark Red Hawk." The Sioux man responded, stepping into the ring, "May the best person win."

Alexis bowed courteously, and took a defensive stance. She slowly circled around the man. With such an incredible size difference, she knew this wouldn't be easy, despite her cocky attitude. She took it slow, waiting for him to make the first move.

Red raised an eyebrow, a slight smirk on his face. "I'm not going to take the first swing. You'll destroy me if I try." He stated, as he began to circle around her as well.

"Tch. Fine. Be that way." Never the patient one, Alexis jumped forward, sending a solid right jab to test his reaction speed and strength.

Red took the blow, and sent one of his own, hoping to catch her off guard.

*Shit.* Alexis sent her left arm to the side, and hit his arm with surprising strength given her size. Red still barely felt it, but it knocked his punch off enough for her to duck it. She rolled to the side, and quickly jumped to her feet, flexing the hand and trying to stop the tingling. "Like slapping a cinder block..."

"Nice parry. Didn't think you'd be able to block that. I guess I should stop holding back..." Red mused, throwing a powerful jab, followed by a right uppercut.

Alexis ducked the jab, now on the defensive. She flipped back to avoid the upper cut. "And to think there was a time when I thought Yakone's martial arts training was pointless." Before Red could launch another attack, she went for a leg sweep, targeting his ankles.

The blow partially worked, causing Red to stumble. Quickly recovering from the blow, he backed up in preparation for Alexis' next move.

Alexis let out a cry and ran forward, fienting to the left, then the right, before jumping forward for a flying kick to the face. "See-ya!"

Black0ut

Mysterious Guardians, Pt.2

Red's eyes widened, as he raised an arm to try to block, simultaneously throwing a jab at the girl's leg.

Alexis connected with his arm, and had no defense for the jab. She was knocked to the left, rolling and quickly raising to her feet. Her leg buckled a little, but she only smiled. "Not bad."

"I got lucky. I think in an actual brawl, you'd have good chance of beating me. However," Red said, a slight smile on his face, "You go a bit more aggressive than you should. Leaves you wide open."

Alexis chuckled. "Now you sound like Yakone. Of course, if I actually listened, maybe she wouldn't knock me on my ass so often." Alexis moved forwards again, but this time held back a bit. She made several jabs and kicks, most blocked, but she held back from anything that left her too open, waiting for her chance to present itself.

And the opportunity came, as the big man threw a jab, followed by a wide swing that left his right side vulnerable.

"Block this!" Alexis yelled as she sent a powerful roundhouse kick towards his side.

The man collapsed, coughing from the blow. "Nice...Nice hit." Red said, his voice slightly raspy.

"Mark!" Alexis' battle rush started to wash away, and she realized she likely kicked too hard for a sparing match. "I'm sorry!" She dropped to his side. Without realizing it, an invisible strand of energy flowed from her to him, and he was filled with pleasant, relaxing, and soothing feelings.

Interesting... a random healer sparred with Mark... And decided to heal him after. Charon mused, unbeknownst to the two humans.

"It's ok. You didn't mean to kick that hard, adrenaline rush, right?" Red asked, more worried about her than himself, "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, of course." She gave him a sly smile. "Though my leg hurts a little. You are a brick wall, man! What do you eat!?"

Red raised an eyebrow, "Sorry about the leg. Although, to answer you're second question, everything you'd eat. I'm not much different from you." He answered quietly, sitting up from his prone position.

"Yeah, but you're like... like, muscles on muscles." Alexis sat on the floor next to him. "Ever wrestle a bear? Be honest."

Red laughed, a big grin on his face. "Nope. I've never wrestled a bear 'cause I'm not that good..."

"Still, you're pretty good." Alexis lowered her eyes. "Do you... really think I'd have a chance if we were going all out?"

Red's grin faded, replaced by a frown. "I do think you'd have a chance to beat me, but given some more training, that chance would turn into a certainty." The Sioux answered.

Alexis smiled again. "Thanks, Mr... um, Hawk."

"No problem, Alexis. Just call me Red, alright?" The Oglala Sioux man said, his smile returning again.

Alexis held her hands out. "Do you want me to heal you? I have biokinesis, you know."

Perhaps I should make myself known to this healer afterwards, so I can guesstimate her skill...

"Nah, I'm ok. Thanks for the offer, though." Mark responded quickly.

Alexis climbed to her feet and stretched her arms. "Thanks, Red. I feel a lot better now. You were right. Worked off a lot of steam there."

"That's great to hear. I'm heading off to bed, so...if you ever need a sparring partner, don't hesitate to ask, okay?" Red offered, as he began to walk away.

"I'm gonna take you up on that. Bet on it!" Alex smiled, watching him go before going over to the dumbbells.

I bet you will, Alexis Chambers. A deep, gravelly voice psied.

Alexis stopped, slowly putting the dumbbell down and looking back. "Hello?"

Hello. A little nervous are we? Charon mused, humor in his voice.

"Only when I'm hearing voices," Alexis responded. "I'm not developing one of those multiple personality disorders, am I?

No, you're not developing a personality disorder. I assure you that I am real, Alexis. I merely want to talk to you. Charon replied in his general quiet manner.

"Uh... okay. Where are you? Who are you?"

Where I am, I can't tell you. However, as for who I am, my name is Charon. The spirit stated, sounding amused.

"Charon? Like... the river Styx Charon?"

Similar in name, but not in function. I don't guide the dead, rather the living. Charon explained, But let's continue this conversation in your... Dreamscape, I think it's called?

"Um... okay. Uh... I'll try, at least. I've only done it a couple times." Alexis sat in the middle of the ring, not too worried about people walking in, and closed her eyes, concentrating.

"Interesting... so this is what your mind looks like, healer." A nearby voice said.

Alexis stood up in her mindscape, and slowly looked around the inner reaches of her mind. "Where are you?" A silver wolf slowly made its way over to the girl, laying down at her feet, as if to answer her question.

Alexis raised an eyebrow and knelt down in front of him. "Are you, like... one of those Native American guardian spirits?"

"Probably. But, tell me, where did you get your healing powers? They're incredibly fascinating..." Charon responded, looking up at the girl, before laying his head down.

Alexis sat back. "Um... I don't know. They started to develop thanks to my exposure to alien technology... but no, I don't think they gave them to me. They've... just always been a part of me. I think it is like that with a lot of psions. " She gave the wolf a curious look. "How did you know I could heal people?"

Black0ut

Mysterious Guardians, Pt.3

The silver wolf pounced on the girl, laying down afterwards. "You healed that man that you fought with. He couldn't see it, but I could."

"No I didn't... did I?" Alexis looked down at her hands. "I didn't even touch his wound. Where... where did I heal him?"

"At least that's what I think I saw. Spirits can be wrong too." Charon responded, "But you also were healing your friend, Yakone."

"No, I meant to..." Alexis looked up suddenly. "Wait, was it like... like I sent something to his mind? Like... like happy thoughts? Is that how I healed him?"

"Possibly." Charon said, as he got up and moved right next to her. "That might've been what I saw."

"Did I use psi inspiration? Cool..." Alexis looked to her side at the ethereal animal. "So... who exactly are you again?"

"I am Charon, a guardian of various people and a very bored spirit. How did you come to work aboard the...Revenger?" The silver wolf asked, lazily turning his head to the girl.

"The Avenger, and I was with XCOM from the beginning. I was only three when our original base was destroyed. I was raised with XCOM."

"I see. So you were one of the cubs I saw, as you ran from ADVENT, many years ago. Onto another question, then; how did you grow up into such a kind person? With all your trials and tribulations, I thought you'd be a bit more upset than how you're currently presenting yourself.”

Alexis sighed, and stared up and the starry sky. "Because... because ADVENT is bad. And I hate ADVENT. They're mean... so I am kind. Don't get me wrong. There are times when I can be a bitch. But seeing how people have suffered under ADVENT, how can I be anything but the opposite of them. Besides... it is what my mother would have wanted of me."

"My condolences." Charon offered, curling closer to Alexis, "But that does beg the question; if you're consciously trying to be kind in spite of ADVENT, then how do you truly act?"

Alexis lowered her eyes. "I... don't know. Maybe deep down, I'm a coward. Maybe... I'm actually a bad person. I... I sure hope not..."

"I doubt that. A coward runs from danger. You do not." Charon replied quietly.

"Yeah, maybe..." She looked down at Charon. "It's hard, you know? My whole identity is XCOM. I love them all. I can't imagine a different life. I just... wish I had chose it. It would make it more meaningful. And not make me wonder... if deep down, I'm not who I think I am. I'm just someone playing a part."

"That's a question only you can answer. On a different note, humans are weird. You all have amazing courage and bravery inside of you, but only in the direst of circumstances do you act upon it. I believe that your self-image is who you are. How do you view yourself? What characteristics do you think you have?" Charon replied, his eyes shutting as he relaxed.

Alexis thought about it. "Well... I see myself as strong. Independent. Forward. Though I can be... what's the word... impulsive. I can do pretty cool things... but I get so discouraged lately. Maybe a lack of confidence? I'm... not that smart... but I have a good sense of humor... I think. And I'd like to think I'm attractive."

"Then that's who you are. And nobody can tell you different." Charon stated, moving to a sitting position.

Alexis grinned at him. "Thanks. I guess being wise comes with being an animal spirit... uh, thing."

Charon slowly shook his head, "No, that comes with experience. And I'm not a 'thing', as you are not a beast." The silver wolf scolded.

Alexis held up her hands. "Sorry, sorry. Didn't mean it like that. I'm just... still not sure who or what you are. You're connected to Red, right?"

"To answer your question, I am Charon, a guardian spirit. And I am connected to Red, yet I'm also not connected to him. It's a long story." Charon elaborated vaguely, his irritation seeping into his voice.

Alexis raised an eyebrow. "Um... okay. Does he know about you?"

"Yes, he does. I mean, how else did that pillar come into play, and save your pack leader on that last mission?" Charon answered sarcastically, as he stood up.

"Alright, alright." Alexis huffed, standing up herself. "No need to be hostile."

Black0ut

Mysterious Guardians, Part 4

Charon stared at her for a moment, before responding with, "I'm a wolf. It's how I'm supposed to be. Besides, I was helping you out on your last mission, so a little courtesy would be appreciated."

Alexis shrugged."I didn't know that was you. Just figured Red had psionics. Now that I know it was you... thanks, wolfy."

"My name is Charon, not wolfy!" The silver wolf protested, a slight, quiet growl coming from his mouth.

"Okay! It was just a nickname, jeez..." Alexis folded her arms. "You sure have a short temper. Are you sure you're a guardian spirit? Aren't they supposed to be at least a little patient?"

"Each spirit is different from any other, so no. Not all guardian spirits are patient, like how you humans are not all brave, some of you are cowardly compared to others." Charon replied, laying back down.

Alexis rolled her eyes. "Well... okay. So... should I scratch behind your eyes?"

"I may be an animal spirit, but I'm a sentient being! I refuse to be treated like some...domesticated animal for you too enjoy!" Charon growled, opening an eye to glare at Alexis.

Alexis folded her arms and huffed. "Well, I rub my sister's head and back to make her feel better..." She shrugged. "Anyway... probably should get up before someone notices me standing in the middle of the gym, Mr. All the questions but none of the answers."

The silver wolf stood up, his eyes twitching. "Y-you take care, Alexis. And... I'm sorry if I've been incredibly rude, with my lack of patience. It's kind of an off day for me..." Charon apologized, as he calmed himself down.

Alexis gave him a sympathetic look. "That's okay. Even spirits can have a bad day." She leaned down and offered her hand. "I... I'm offer to shake because you're a friend, not because you're a pet or anything."

Charon looked at her for a moment, before shaking her hand, "Apology accepted. Take care, Miss Alexis." The spirit responded, before fading away.

Alexis exited the dreamscape, relieved to find no one staring at her questioningly. "Well... that was weird," she muttered as she made her way out, deciding to call it a night.

DarkGemini24601

ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “Playing with Laser, Part 1”

Shantytown “Liberty Falls”
Former United States of America
1504 Hours, June 13th, 2038

Onboard the Avenger
Level 1, Rear Block
Main Engineering

Alex squinted her eyes a bit as she loosened the barrel of a laser rifle she realized she had misaligned during assembly. She bit her tongue, the new new alloys tough but not indestructible, and the parts were stuck together. The last thing she needed to break any.

Her hands suddenly slipped, more sweat built on them then she realized, and the gun fell near the edge of the table. Alexis lunged forward to grab it, her knee painfully slamming into the bottom of the table and parts falling every which way into the floor. "Damn it!" Alexis crawled into the floor the started picking things up, forgetting about weapon until it fell off as well, directly into the back of her head. She held her head tightly, hunched over. "Oooowwww..."

"This is why we have drawers to organize supplies while working on fabrication," Lily explained as she walked over and began helping the subordinate engineer clean up. She placed the parts in neat piles quickly and then loosened the barrel of the gun a little with her wrench. "Doesn't need to be that tightly secured on. The beam weapons won't have recoil, so it won't come apart when in-use. Plus, it needs to be able to be disassembled for maintenance and repair."

"I-I know that!" Alexis snapped. She rubbed her head, and quickly said, "S-sorry, Lily... um, Dr. Shen. That didn't come out... my head hurts. Sorry."

"I don't think you hit it unless I missed something in that display," Lily replied, opening a drawer and rummaging around for something. "You can call me by name you know, hearing formal Yakone every time I visit the labs is already unsettling enough."

Alexis cleared her throat. "Right. Sorry about the mess. It usually isn't like this. It's usually a... well organized mess."

"Well, I'm not going to make you organize the way I do, just suggest that it might help prevent this sort of situation."

"Right." Alexis took the weapon and looked over Lily's work. She sighed, and muttered, "I don't know why I b..." she trailed off.

"Alex, if you have an issue with me please, for the love of all that is green on this Earth, just... speak up," Lily demanded. "The passive aggressiveness is really getting on my nerves."

Alexis slowly shook her head. "It isn't you. It's me." She placed the weapon down. "Can I ask you something? And I need you to be completely honest."

"Ask me what?"

"Am I any good? At engineering, I mean." Alexis sighed. "Lately, it feels like everyone has to... clean up my messes."

"You've been doing fine. Not sure where this is coming from," Lily replied sincerely.

"Just... lack of confidence, is all. Feel lousy about this, Feel lousy about my training, about my psionic advancement..." Alexis smiled sheepishly. "You know... you've always been patient with me, haven't you?"

"We've all had to be patient," Lily reminded her subordinate, leaning against some sturdy equipment and running her fingers along a plate of hybrid alloys on the table, admiring how room temperature it felt for a piece of metal. "Look, I'm no beacon of wisdom, but my advice is to work harder at it. If that doesn't work, take a break, and then try again."

"Thanks." Alexis bit her lip. "You know... something happened recently. Made me think about the way people treat the people we are close to. I look back at our relationship, and... I don't like what I see. I've been pretty mean to you, huh? Especially when we were kids."

"Yeah, you were," Lily didn't hesitate to agree. The Chief smiled though, going over and wrapping an arm around Alexis's shoulders. "But I don't dwell on that too much. I have the benefit of seniority that makes me less bothered by some punk four years younger than me giving me trouble."

Alexis chuckled. "Well, if it is any comfort, a lot of it came from jealousy. You're so smart, and my sister is so smart. Then Yakone started stealing Jennifer's biology books, and I ended up being the dumb one. So I... I mocked you to diminish how ahead of me you were, and insisted I could do engineering as well as you. That was part of it, but honestly... I was afraid of being left behind."

"Hey, Yakone struggles a lot. There's a reason she acts so creepily formal around Tygan. She's afraid that she's going to screw up and lose his respect and instructional time," Lily explained, letting go of Alexis. "You're still in the same boat she is respectively. But you don't have to feel like you're in my shadow. You're not supposed to surpass me, otherwise I'd have to hand over the title of Chief to you," Lily further clarified with a slight smile.

"Right." Alexis laughed. "And technically, I have one up on Yakone. I have a pretty cool boss I can talk to, not a stiff I have to walk on eggshells around."

"Oh, I pity her every time I think about it," Lily said with a groan. "Believe it or not, I've actually grown to not hate Kazuko, but Tygan? He's the biggest stick in the mud you can find."

"Yeah, but..." Alexis lowered her voice for no reason. "At least he's predictable. Kazuko... creeps me out. He is so weird around girls. Some... freaky, you know? I swear, if any of the women here go missing, the first place I'm checking is his fridge... uh, if he had one."

Lily snickered. "He has gynophobia. Come on, do you not know that after the past two years of him being around? He's not some sort of 'Jack the Ripper' person."

"That's just what he wants you to think!" Alexis insisted. "It makes you drop your guard, then one day BAM! John Dr Lancie in the opening of The Hand that Rocks the Cradle. Mark my words..."

"You and Yakone both watch too many old movies..."

Alexis nodded. "Yeah, probably. Oh!" She raised a finger. "Before I forget. Jennifer wanted me to make sure you got the info on the Viper nanotoxins... or something like that."

"Oh, that grenade idea she had? I was going to work on that once we've finished up production of the laser weapons." Lily stepped a few feet away from Alexis, and called out to the other engineers and assistants hard at work building. "Someone give me a status report our our progress!"

Peter McCaffree stepped up to the plate. "Well, we've got most of the special variants down pat... still working on some of the basic rifles and pistols."

"Alright. You guys can take a break once we've reached the minimum count... don't kill yourselves to get a surplus. We have plenty of time to build backup weapons," Lily yelled gently. Going back over to Alexis, she smiled sheepishly. "Hope I didn't break your ears. But finish up that weapon you're working on and then you can help me build our first tier 2 poison grenade."

"Tier two, huh? Sounds like fun." She picked up the gun, and say back down. "Almost done. Gimme ten minutes. Fifteen tops."

"Roger that." Lily went back over to her workstation to finish preparing a scatterlaser for Kevin. Alexis worked with renewed diligence, though that didn't make working on the weapon any less difficult. Still, her talk with Lily gave her a confidence boost. She finished her work, and had time to hit the washroom, chug a bottle of water, and walk over to Lily with one minute to spare.

Lily was looking over a device with a pensive look on her face. It appeared to be some sort of storage unit suspiciously close to a blender with a few nozzles connected to a medium-sized reinforced gas tank. "This is the... poison synthesizer Jenn had me make. I think we put the Viper venom sack in the first container. Could you get that from the freezer to my right? Be careful with it."

“Gotcha.” Alexis made her way over to the freezer. “And what does it look like?” She opened the freezer and frowned. “Never mind. Ew…” She pulled the organ out of its frozen container and walked it over to Lily. “This thing is disgusting…”

“How your sister just gleefully pulls these things out of dead bodies is beyond me. At least it’s hardened somewhat.” Lily opened the first container, and had Alexis put it in so she could hit the ‘on’ button and pray. Small needles made incisions into the organ as it thawed, and pumped out a viscous liquid venom that singed the hardened glass it went through slightly. Nevertheless, it successfully went into the tubes, and through halfway points was turned into a gas that seemed to solidify into an acidic substance every so often, but not enough to break free.

“Damn,” the Chief Engineer muttered. Speaking more clearly, she told Alexis, “Remind Yakone to never get spat on by these things. But that looks good, now we just have to connect this tube here,” she pointed to the unattached connection, and then to an empty gas grenade. “And fill up our first one. I’ll let you do the honors.”

“Thanks.” Alexis took the connection and look over at the bulbous organ. “Let’s just… make sure the seal is nice and tight.” She attached it to the grenade, checking and double checking it. “That should do it. Let’s make ourselves a new weapon.”

Lily turned on the nozzle and filled up the metal-encased spherical gas canister with venomous gases. “There we go.” Lily glanced back at the rest of the cargo bay. “Hey, Alex. When we’re done here, do you want to… I dunno, go hang out somewhere?”

“You… wanna hang out? With me?” Alexis nodded. “Yeah. I would like that very much. Um… we can hit the gym… maybe?”

Lily shrugged. “That sounds good to me. I’ll see you there. You can go ahead and go while I make sure things get done here.”

“Alright. Get to hang out, and I get out early. Works for me!” Alexis waved and walked off to her room to change.

DarkGemini24601

ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: “Playing with Laser, Part 2”

Onboard the Avenger
Level 4, Port Wing
Gymnasium B

Alexis nodded to one of the techs as they walked by, the violet-haired woman sitting down and stretching her legs. She was in her usual gym attire, a loose tank top barely covering a training bra and skin tight shorts. She occasionally glanced at the door, wondering if Lily would actually show up.

The Chief Engineer did eventually make her entrance, wearing a more modest black exercise shirt and orange exercise shorts. “Sorry to keep you waiting, someone almost overheated a battle rifle… would have been messy.”

“Like… broken bits of weapon messy, or broken bits of person messy?” Alexis asked, rising to her feet.

“Both,” An-Yi answered with a shake of her head. “But I’m free now.”

“I’m glad you came. Not… that I doubted you would. Um…” Alexis nodded her head to the side. “Go for a run?”

Lily’s eyes followed Alex’s to the treadmills. “Sure.”

Alexis started slow, as she usually did, years of meticulous exercise teaching her the importance of building up. “So how often do you work out, Lily?”

Lily seemed to match her pace. “Usually every day in the mornings before work. Have to keep up my strength so I’m not just making McCaffree and Irons carry everything.”

“How are the other engineers? Especially the new ones. I haven’t… spoken to them.” Alexis frowned a bit as she upped to a jog, remembering the ‘talk’ with O’Brien.

“Melissa’s responsible and Dihya gets the job done without protest,” Lily responded as she quickened her own pace, getting ahead of Alexis by a small margin. “Haven’t gotten to know the assistants as much, there’s enough of them that it’s hard to get as personal.”

“Better that than the alternative, right? Remember when we were in quiet mode, and we had such a small staff? It’s a surprise we got anything done around here.”

“Yeah. Things have definitely gone a lot faster now that our ranks our expanded. We’ve got lasers, and other projects will likely be in the works as we get more supplies and more items of study. I just hope it’ll be enough… beam weapons are nice but we’re still far and away outgunned by magnetic ballistics and plasma lasers.”

“Just like twenty years ago. But we have an advantage they could only dream of!” Alexis waved her hand around them. “No full on, destructive attacks on our base if they can’t find us, right?” She increased the speed to a full run.

Lily did her best to match Alexis’s pace, but she wasn’t quite as fast as the soldier was. “As… long as we… stick to the shadows… yeah.” The engineer shook her head from exertion and the thought of what might happen if they didn’t. “I’m thinking along… Yakone lines right about… now. Hope we can… m-make a big different again and a-again… like in… Gate… dammit you’re fast!”

Alexis looked at the matching numbers on their treadmills and slowed hers to its previous speed. “Sorry, sorry. I like to push myself. The more I sweat and strain, the better I feel about my workout.”

“Nothing wrong with that… just… I’m not as much about running,” Lily explained as she caught her breath.

Alexis nodded. “I gotcha. So what do you usually do here? Maybe we can give it a try.”

“Weights, sit ups, push ups… that sort of thing.”

“Come on.” Alexis grinned. “I want to see how much the boss can lift. Sounds like a ton of fun.”

Lily returned her smile and went over to grab the appropriate weight she wanted for either side of her bar, and then began deadlifting it. It appeared it was a bit heavier than what would be standard for her frame and musculature, but she seemed to enjoy the challenge.

“Not bad.” Alexis stepped over her, spotting her and smiling. “Push yourself. I wanna see you sweat, Shen. Don’t give up until you give me at least ten.”

“Who are you, my personal trainer?” Lily growled as she went through the reps until she had a set.

Alexis clapped her hands together. “Why not? I spend so much time in here…” She raised an eyebrow. “Can you give me five more, girl?”

Lily grit her teeth and did so mostly to show up Alexis. “Not that… hard.”

Alexis helped her put the weights up, and grinned down at her boss. “I’m impressed. In a good way, not a patronizing way. You’re a lot cool… stronger than I expected.”

“Did you think I wasn’t cool before?” Lily asked with a grin.

“No!” Alexis raised her hands and chuckled nervously. “I-I… of course I always thought you were cool! You… you’re just kinda, sorta more cool.. uh, now.”

“Suuuure..”

Alexis pouted. “Oh, come on, Lily. Don’t be like that. It isn’t like you think I’m cool, do you?”

Lily chuckled. "I dunno, maybe not as much as Yakone is with her repitoire of tricks, but you're not a bad soldier or anything. You've just yet to have your moment in the spotlight."

Alexis grunted. "I'm not interested in the spotlight. I just want to be a competent soldier. Make a difference, you know? And... keep my blunders to a minimum."

"Well, you didn't seem to make any in the last mission, so I don't see an issue."

Alexis chuckled. "Thanks." She sat by the dumbbells and started lifting a forty pound weight. "Of course, when this is all over... you're going to have quite a bit of spot light yourself."

"I do have some plans, though it's too early to think about that. Someday, though..."

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and ZombieSplitter53: “Red vs Blue, Part 1”

Montana Shantytown "Liberty Falls"
0545 Hours, June 16th, 2038

Onboard the Avenger
Floor 3, Central Block
Female Showers

Yakone yawned drowsily as she stood under one of the showerheads. The warm water felt pleasant in contrast to the crisp coolness within the Avenger due to its northernly position and the earliness of the hour. It wasn't that the cold bothered her, though, and it was nice to have the showers all to herself. Not that she was shy about her body. Grabbing a faded shampoo counter, she began lathering her spiky hair whilst humming a favorite tune from Pat Benetar.

The door to the showers open, Morrigan O'Brien stepped inside, a bit of grease on the arms and face. She paused when she saw Yakone. "Sorry. Didn't know... I'll come back later."

The young Inuit-Caucasian woman raised an eyebrow, not having expected anyone else this early. "No, it's fine, I'm not gonna hog all the warm water for myself. Two isn't a crowd, unless you have friends hiding in a conga line behind you," she joked.

"N-no... just me." Morrigan sighed, the usually brash woman acting unusually shy. She stepped to the side, and when she returned with nothing but her towel, Yakone could see why, scars and faded burns covering her back, some parts of her chest and stomach, and a few on her arms and legs.

"ADVENT did that to you?" Yakone asked softly, though anger clouded her features.

Morrigan slowly nodded, taking a position near Yakone. "Yeah. Bastards went to town on me. Guess it was my fault for not giving them names. Not that I had any."

Yakone clenched her fists tightly, a slight surge of biokinetic energy showing she had recovered - if only partially judging by the wince that followed. "It shouldn't have even come to that! They have fucking mind readers, what use do they have for conventional torture other than laziness and sadism?"

Morrigan chuckled grimly. "They claimed they we're waiting for them to arrive, and seeing if they could get the information without bothering their alien masters. It was probably a thing about pride and trying to use me to prove themselves." Morrigan looked over to Yakone. "You want to know the sickest part? There was a woman there... personally tortured a bit. She... she did one of the worst things imaginable; she tortured me... then tried to instill how much it was my fault, not theirs."

Yakone grit her teeth. "They operate on an 'everyone is guilty' system more or less. They're all sick... they abandon their humanity in more ways than just the physical."

"Yes... yes they do. They're unforgivable... everyone." The Irishwoman shook her head. "I'm sorry. I hate to start things off like that. You're Yakone, right? The Commander's daughter. We were on different teams in our first mission."

"I am, though for the love of God don't make the second half of that my identity." Yakone crossed her arms briefly in irritation. "I'm getting tired of being addressed as 'The Commander's Daughter'" Yakone made air quotes "by everyone I meet. Spread the word: we might as well not be related."

Morrigan laughed. "You want your owe identity, right? Don't want to carry around a label, and want to be judged on what you do, and not on who you're related to. Something like that?"

Yakone nodded. "I sure as hell don't want to live in her shadow, and there's no point in comparing two people that are polar opposites and polarized against each other."

"Polarized against, huh? What...?" Morrigan stopped herself. "Sorry. My husband used to tell me my nosiness was both one of my cutest and most annoying tendencies. Though I can assure you, in my eyes, you are you, and you are all you can be... um... that made more sense in my head."

"Whatever, I get what you're trying to say. I swear though, one of these days I'm just going to knee-jerk break someone's nose if people don't stop with that nonsense. Maybe I should change my last name..."

Morrigan frowned. "Really that bad, huh?" She lathered up her hair, making sure to get out the grime. "I hope it isn't a problem with the people who have known you for a long time."

"You'd better not be accusing me of being on bad terms with everyone I know," Yakone growled.

Morrigan held up her hands. *Whoa. Paranoid. Not that I'm one to talk.* "No, no. I'm just saying... I bet the people who have been here for years know to separate you two, and the problem is with new people that don't know better."

Yak relaxed slightly. "For the most part they do. What about you? From the sound of it your husband's not around anymore. Any other family here with you or in the Resistance?"

Morrigan flinched slightly at the mention of her husband's 'death', but easily shook it off. "Yes, actually. The youngest member as far as I know, though no one can beat you as the youngest member of all time. Her name is Brigid, my daughter."

Yakone chuckled. "I assume she's support staff and not a child soldier though." Yakone eyed Morrigan. "How old is she?"

Morrigan's eyes lit up a bit, showing the joy she had for talking about her daughter. "She's twelve. She has the cutest little face and long, blonde hair with the slightest tint of red like her mom, and eyes that could light a fire in the darkest of hearts."

"T-That's nice, b-but you can't be any older than 28 or 30, r-right? W-what...?" Yakone stammered, trailing off.

"Twenty-six, actually. Which means I had my daughter when I was fourteen." Morrigan smiled at her. "Pretty pathetic, huh?"

"I mean..." A pause. "How? Why?"

Morrigan shook her head. "I was a delinquent. Lashing out at my parents because I couldn't cope with the rapidly changing world and they didn't know how to help me, so I started blaming them. I was stupid. There was this older man who... who seemed so smart to an idiot teen. I liked him. He saw he could take advantage of me. So he got me liquored up... and we had sex. Nine months later, Brigid was born."

"At least it wasn't someone's dad this time..." Yakone muttered. "Sorry if i'm prying a lot, that just... caught me off guard." Searching for something more complimentary to talk about, the Ranger glanced over Morrigan for a moment. "You know, you really don't need to be so shy about your scars. If I was a guy that wouldnt deter me from wanting some, and I imagine that holds true for many of our tough guys here. The only thing you lack is chest mass, and that's unfortunately not a hurdle you can overcome," Yak bemoaned with mock grief in her voice.

Morrigan laughed, washing her chest. "Yeah, but they suit me. I can't imagine the kind of neck pain you have with those luscious mounds of yours."

"They're not that excessively big, that would be something monstrous like an E or F cup," Yakone asserted. "D is where it's at."

"Yeah. Still, look like fun." Morrigan looked down at the scars on her arm. "Did... did you really... mean what you said? I-I mean about my scars."

"Guys look cool with them, why can't girls?" Yakone reaffirmed with a shrug. "I can promise you there's more than one man on this ship that would count that as a plus rather than a minus. And plenty of girls that would think they're badass."

Morrigan grinned at her. "You know... you're alright, Yakone. I see you as someone I can get along with. Laid back, honest, blunt, and... with a good heart. You remind me of what I used to be like. Don't let go of it. It gives you an excellent charm."

"And why can't you be more like me?" Yakone crossed her arms under her chest, specifying, "Mentally, not physically."

Morrigan chuckled grimly. "I... I'm too broken, Yakone. Maybe if I had a therapist and a support network and all that crap, I could get better, but..." She looked down at herself. "Some scars go deeper then you skin."

"Oh no, fuck that shit." Yakone walked over to where she was looking Morrigan straight in the eyes with her piercing midnight blue irises. "That mentality is exactly what ruined any chance of my relationship with my mother being salvaged. Don't do that to your daughter. I don't care if you were tortured or whatever, that's no excuse to let yourself be an emotional wreck at the expense of a cute-sounding kid."

Morrigan stared back at her for a moment, then softly smiled. "You're right. I... I have to be strong. If not for my sake, then for hers. She means the world to me, and what kind of parent would I be if I let my pain turn into her pain?"

"Better." Yakone took a step back. "Mind if I meet her?"

Morrigan's smile grew even more. "Sure!" She started washing herself faster. "Want to meet her now?"

"Yep. Just let me finish cleaning up and I'll grab my clothes." Yakone washed the shampoo out of her hair, and grabbed a towel. She stepped outside the showers to the small locker room of sorts outside it to start drying off. "Provided she isn't asleep or anything." Yakone paused. "Wow, I know your daughter's name but I don't remember yours from the first op. Was it... Morgan?"

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and ZombieSplitter53: “Red vs Blue, Part 2”

The Irishwoman's I twitched. "Noooo... close. Except that is a guy's name. It is Morrigan."

"Morgan can be a girl's name," Yakone said incredulously. "But I'll keep the correct one in mind." She finished drying off by ensuring that her hair was as messy as it had been before she went into the shower. That taken care of, she grabbed a black sports bra and blue boxers and slipped them on.
Morrigan looked her over while putting on a more feminine pair of underwear. "You really got this tomboy thing going for you, huh? It's really cute on you."

Yakone sniffed. "I don't think I've met anyone wholly 'lady-like' on this ship. Well, aside from our cook, but I'm of the belief she's insane," the young woman insisted as she pulled her canadian graffiti shirt over her head and then got her black jeans - finishing off with blue jacket and dark gray boots.

Morrigan pulled on her fairly simple clothing, army cargo pants she salvaged years ago, a plain black tank top, and green shirt from some sports team featuring a leprechaun. "Come on. She should be in our room. Her shift ended a while ago."

"I think there's somethig wrong with the world when a twelve year old has shifts, but such is the way things are," Yakone muttered, following after Morrigan.

Morrigan led the Inuit to her room, saying, "You're right, of course. But she insists on helping out. It makes her happy, and that is important for her health." As they neared the room, Yakone could hear the sounds of music from a string instrument.

"She can play an instrument too?" Yakone whispered in awe.

Morrigan nodded, and placed a finger over her lips. She slowly opened the door, and the pair quietly stepped in. Brigid was facing away from them, and they watched as she rapidly played on her violin. Her fingers flew across the strings as she played the final part of Monti's Csardas. When she was finished, she took several deep breaths, and placed her instrument to the side.

Yakone put her hands together. "She's so fu-uh-uh-un... and cute!"

Brigid jumped a bit, and turned to look at Yakone. Seeing her mother too, she quickly stood up and walked in front of Yak, doing a small curtsie. "Hello, miss. My name is Brigid Hunnigan. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, shortcake," Yakone replied with a grin.

Brigid tilted her head and pressed a finger to her lip. "Um... short... cake?"

"Well, you're short and sweet, plus you might as well be a strawberry shortcake with that hair of yours," Yakone explained.

Brigid's eyes lit up. "I love strawberry shortcake!" She looked up at her mother. "I like her."

Morrigan nodded. "I thought you would. This is Yakone. Yakone Ip... is my new friend." She smiled at Yakone.

"Where'd you learn to play that... uh... whatever that is?" Yakone asked curiously, taking a knee so she wasn't towering over Brigid.

Brigid giggled, and held out the instrument. "It's a violin. A string instrument. I... I missed a lot of school as a kid, and was too sick to play with the other kids. So, to keep my mind stimulated with something besides T.V., my daddy bought me this! I started when I was... three, I think?"

"A..." Yakone shook her head. "Well, your music was very lovely. I've never heard anything quite like it."

"Thank you. I practice very hard." She smiled up at her mother, who nodded. "Mom says that, maybe one day, I could become a famous musician." Her smile faded. "I... I guess... that won't happen now..."

Yakone tilted her head slightly. "I don't see why not."

Brigid sighed and walked over to her violin case, placing the instrument inside. "Kinda hard to be world famous when I'm world wanted, right?"

"Eh, they want my ass...ets... me as an asset... more than they would care about you, shortcake," Yakone stumbled over her words. "And besides, we're gonna crush them and make your dream possible!"

"Yeah?" Brigid turn back to her. "Get rid of all the aliens and the bad ADVENT guys? Make the world free again, right?"

"Yep. Might seem impossible but we're going to do it," Yakone responded, crossing her arms.

"And when it is over... what are you guys going to do then? Fill in for the bad ADVENT you stop and join the good ADVENT that is left over?" Brigid smiled at her innocently, and Morrigan shifted uncomfortably.

Yakone gave her a blank look. "Good... ADVENT? There is no such thing as..."

Brigid giggled, walking over to Yakone again. "What are you talking about? Of course there is a good ADVENT. They're the ones who keep the people safe and protect the megacities. But the aliens are using them. Putting in the bad ADVENT to control them. We need to help them. You will help them, right? Maybe..." She gasped with realization. "Maybe we can even find the good ones and have them help us from within!"

"You have no idea what you're talking about. The ADVENT 'Peacekeepers' in the city keep things quiet by dragging away dissenters in the middle of the night," Yakone said with rising anger, "so they can find a dark alleyway and put a bullet-"

"Yakone, please." Morrigan placed a hand on her shoulder. "She isn't... she doesn't under..."

"N-no!" Brigid quickly shook her head. "They... they keep everyone protected! Make sure everyone follows the laws. They aliens make them do bad things! But there are good ADVENT soldiers. My... mmmmy daddy w-was a good soldier!"

Yakone shook her head. "Maybe he wasn't a terrible person, maybe he acted out of fear, but anyone that serves ADVENT sells their soul and humanity to their own higher ups, not just the aliens. And they hurt innocent people. None of this would have been the way it is if we hadn't been invaded, but that doesn't excuse the cowardice of those that obey orders to murder anyone that doesn't follow the Path and fit into its perfect society!"

Brigid's eyes widened, tears forming in them. "No! You're wrong! My father wasn't a coward. He... he wasn't a murderer. Tell her, mom!"

Morrigan turned her head away. "Brigid, I... I'm sorry... but..."

Brigid burst into tears. "No! Daddy was a good man! He helped helped people! You're wrong!" She coughed a few times. "Y-you're both wrong!"

Yakone's expression softened. "Look, shortcake, my dad abandoned us when the old base fell. Not everyone you want to be a good person… actually is."

"But... b-but..." Brigid coughed again, more hoarsely. "But he... h-he... loved me. R... right?" She looked back at her violin, the gift from her father, with contempt.

Yakone sighed. "I don't know. I'm an authority on the scales of justice, not family bonds."

Morrigan knelt down and hugged her daughter. "He loved you more then anything." Brigid coughed a few more times, and Morrigan said, "Why don't you go lay down. We will talk more when you're feeling better." She watched Brigid slowly climb into her bed before turning back to Yakone. "I'm... sorry."

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 and ZombieSplitter53: “Red vs Blue, Part 3”

"Why do you let her live a lie?" Yakone questioned. "A lot of things are more black and white than that."

Morrigan held her arm nervously. "It... it's hard, Yakone. She is very sickly. I was afraid to let her know because... I was afraid she couldn't take it." She looked back at her daughter, who coughed several more times.

"The longer you wait to explain things the worse it'll be when she finds out," Yakone insisted. "If you need to monitor her health we have three biokinetics on this ship capable of healing her."

"It's more then that, though..." Morrigan lowered her voice. "How do you tell an innocent girl that the father she loved and cherished was a... a monster?"

"I dunno. I learned my dad was a spineless coward when I was nine. You just deal."

Morrigan slowly nodded. "I'm sorry if she offended you. Please don't hold it against her."

"The ignorance angers me, not her. If she were an adult I'd actually be pissed at how blind she was." Yakone shrugged. "Just don't let her grow into that adult. We don't need someone on the ship that could be swayed into becoming an enemy."

Morrigan glared angrily at Yakone. "Watch what you say about my daughter. It is bad enough that you dictate my parenting skills. But whe is no traitor. To even imply as much..."

"Not now. But if she thinks that ADVENT isn't really bad it would be incredibly easily to trick her."

Morrigan grabbed Yakone's collar. "My daughter is no ADVENT scum! And she isn't stupid, either! She's one of the brightest girls you'll ever meet! So watch who you're accusing!"

"Let... go... of the jacket," Yakone said dangerously.

Morrigan clenched her teeth. "Take back... what you said... about my Brigid."

"Oh, apologies for utilizing free speech, ADVENT Captain O'Brien," Yakone spat back.

"No, heartless slander on an innocent child, Commander Atka Jr.," Morrigan returned.

Yakone's expression twisted in fury, and she sent a knee towards Morrigan's gut.Morrigan didn't see it coming. She dropped to a knee, holding her stomach tightly and coughing. "Mommy!" Brigid jumped from her bed and ran in front of Yakone. "Don't hurt my mom!"

Yakone's eyes widened. "I-I..." Shit!

"Mommy, are you okay?" Brigid looked her mother up and down.

Morrgian coughed several times, the wind taken out of her. She had let her anger overwhelm her, and had left herself completely open.

Brigid turned back to Yakone again. "I'm sorry! I-I understand now! A-all the ADVENT are bad. I swear, I won't betray you. Just please don't hurt my mom anymore!"

"That's not why I..." Yakone took a step back, seeming to panic more than a little. "I didn't mean...didn't..."

"It's okay, Brigid." Morrigan slowly rose to her feet, and patted her daughter on the shoulder. "It... it was my fault. I said something very mean, and she got angry. Please... go lay back down." Brigid gave Yakone a worried look, but did as she told. Yakone looked to the side, not willing to face either of them directly. Morrigan coughed a few times, and rubbed her stomach. Surprisingly, she chuckled. "That was a nice shot, Yakone."

Yakone looked up. "U-uh... Thanks..."

"I'm still mad about what you said about Brigid... but it is my fault for not setting her straight early. Regardless..." Morrigan placed a hand on Yakone's shoulder. "I shouldn't have compared you to the very person you told me not to. I apologize."

"To be fair I compared you to your shitty husband," Yakone responded. "I probably deserve to get slugged too for that."

"Yeah... you do." Morrigan grinned. "But I need to set a good example for my daughter. So if you promise not to imply my daughter might betray us, I promise to tell her everything so she never does."

"Fair enough," Yakone agreed.

Morrigan extended a hand. "Still friends, despite our... little spat?"

"Still friends," Yakone echoed, breathing a sigh of relief as she shook Morrigan's hand.

DarkGemini24601

Black0ut and DarkGemini24601: “Sagacity, Part 1”

Gymnasium A

In the sparring ring, Red delivered an uppercut to his opponent, knocking him out cold. “Whoops. Guess I shouldn't have hit him so hard.” The Sioux man murmured, scratching his head. Grabbing the unconscious man, he pulled him out of the sparring ring and leaned him against a wall, before heading back into the ring again. “Anybody want to spar for a little bit?” Red called out loudly.

A woman with a black fauxhawk ponytail approached him. She wore a simple white tanktop and brown khakis, and was a full foot shorter than the Sioux man that she came to a stop across from. Glancing backwards, she requested, “Imahara, take Cruz to the Medical Ward to make sure he’ll recover properly.” Returning her dark blue eyes - unnatural-looking on the woman of native american descent - to a forward position, she added, “Try not to risk breaking someone’s jaw. I don’t need to add to the infirmary's current residents from wounds gotten outside of combat. Not to mention if you did actually hurt him his… sister, I believe it was? She’d have it out for you.”

Her voice sounds really familiar, but I can't recall who she is. Probably a high-ranking official. “ADVENT already has it out for me, so having one more person out for blood makes no difference.” Red responded slowly, “Besides, unless his jaw is made of glass, he's probably fine.”

“I don’t care if you have your disagreements but if it hampers your performance in the field, that’s where I draw the line. You need to get along with your teammates, and injuring them is not the best way to start,” the Inuit woman dictated with a cross of her arms.

“No, it's probably not a good thing to piss off allies, but such is life. People don't always work well together. Besides, if someone is practically begging to fight you, I see no reason why I shouldn't fight my best.” Red argued, a frown on his face, as he crossed his own arms.

“Well, if fighting your best means killing your sparing partner then there’s a reason not to. Not only would you be murdering your teammate, but I’d be throwing you out the airlock the next time we were in motion,” Atka told him matter-of-factly.

“Well, he’s not dead, is he? All he probably has is a concussion, and an awful headache. Besides, throwing someone out of an airlock doesn't necessarily mean they die. They could survive the fall, which is pretty improbable, but doable. Sticking them in a specially made freezer for a single day would do it. However, If detective work has taught me anything, it's that threats or warnings don't really scare you anymore.” Red offered a very facetious smile, before walking past her to put away his gloves.

“Unless you’re a psion with telekinesis you won’t survive a fall from cruising altitudes,” Atka replied confidently. “Though you seem to have left something out of your file…” the Commander paused. Damn, this reminds me why the CAF were so insistent on me taking a last name. “Red Hawk,” she decided on after some deliberation. “That stunt with the wall of earth was your doing, wasn’t it?”

“Nope. I’m not a psion, merely a man looking for his tribe.” Red answered, a slight smirk on his face, as he went over to a treadmill. “See, I can tell that you're a high-ranking officer, and that you have slightly murderous thoughts. So, if you want any information not in my file, earn my trust. Then I'll tell you.”

“I’m the Commander, you idiot,” Atka replied flatly. “And that’s not going to fly with me. If you have some sort of special powers - psionic or otherwise - knowing can mean the difference between a successful operation and a code black. Trust me, I know from experience. Lost an entire squad save for one fellow psion in the first war. It was a tragedy that could have been avoided if that other psychic and I hadn’t been so guarded about our special powers. Maybe not, but it could have made a difference. And any edge we can get against an enemy like this, we need.”

“I'm sorry that happened to you, Commander. But I'm just a measly peon with no special abilities. My file tells it all. However,” Red replied quietly, “let's say, hypothetically, I do have some special power. Why would I share it with you? To me, you're a random stranger. I don't trust you, nor do I know you. So why the hell would I share something of that importance with you? Hypothetically speaking, of course.”

“First of all, someone had to have done that, and I know that it wasn’t any soldiers I’m familiar with. But I’ll bite. You’d share something that important with me because I’m your CO. We may not be legal in the eyes of ADVENT, but if you’re here you don’t give a shit about that. That said, XCOM is a military organization with the rules that accompany such a group. Among those strictures are obedience and loyalty. If I tell you to avoid civilian casualties, you do it. If I tell you to fall back, you do it. If I tell you to show me your power, you do it.”

“Everyone has secrets. Everyone. To tell you the truth, I was given as an offering to you, so I'm a little tired of this whole cause. And, while you say you're fair with psions and people like that, I have no knowledge of that. For all I know you're cruel to those kinds of individuals. And while I will follow every command you give me, and will follow you to the end of the world, there are things I'm only willing to tell friends. Of course, this is all hypothetical.” Red said, smiling slightly.

“You still had a choice to come here. You made it, and there’s no backing out now. I’d much prefer you keep fighting than spend the rest of the conflict in the brig,” Atka said earnestly. “As for my feelings on people with psionic abilities… let me enlighten you. Yakone Ipiktok, Luke Van Dam, Qamut Likuga, Arthur Wei, Chandra B., Kai Kazuko. All psions, and all part of XCOM. I fight fire with fire. The aliens covet psions, I rescue them from potential impressment and make them fight for Earth.”

“Again, all people I don't know and don't care about. And threatening that you'll throw me in your brig, doesn't exactly inspire me to tell you anything you wish to learn. If anything, it makes me feel threatened that you’ll do something to me. You fight to either free humanity or kill aliens, right? Well that doesn't really establish the whole ‘I can tell my leader anything’ vibe. So, try talking to me like a new acquaintance would, not like a CO, cause it obviously hasn't gotten you anywhere. Hypothetically speaking, of course.”

Atka took a deep breath. Really testing my patience, are we… The Commander walked up to him, and poked a finger in his chest. “No, you’ll listen to me. Enough of the thinly-veiled sarcasm. Enough telling me how to do my job, because you have no right. I can be friends with my soldiers, the vets from the original organization are proof of that. But I am not obligated to.” Atka looked up straight into his eyes. “You know what you are, Mark? A spineless coward. You’re afraid of your CO because she wants to know vital tactical information? You distrust me because of the wild possibility that I might secretly shoot all my psionic crewmembers in the middle of the night? What a bunch of paranoid bullshit. How you went up against ADVENT troops with this sort of skittishness is beyond me. Though maybe that’s why you hung in the back.”

The Sioux man went rigid, his eyes hardening. “And you're one to talk? Judging by your eyes, you're a psion of some sort. But I don't care. My purpose for being here isn't to save Mankind. It's to find my family. My tribe. But you would never truly understand that,because you probably had a shitty family life. Spineless? That's hysterical coming from our glorious leader in the sky.” The big man growled, glaring at the shorter Atka, “I'm not paranoid. I never said you'd harm anyone with special powers. You drew that conclusion on your own. Tell me, how does the leader of the finest rebel group sink so low as to insult her own?” Red pokes her gently on her face, “I don't give a damn whether you're the fucking commander or not. But I won't bite my tongue if you're going to be hostile towards me!”

Atka rubbed her chin, struggling to keep a neutral expression on her face that was slowly contorting with exasperation. “Holy assumptions, batman… don’t pretend like you know where I come from. I’ll explain so it’s clear. I grew up in a village in Nunavut, probably similar to your upbringing judging by your talk of tribal origins. Lived off the land like Inuit had since ancestral times, and had an understanding father, a loving mother, and a… wonderful sister. And do you know what happened to so many of them? One by one the aliens took them all from me. Qamut’s the only member of my tribe I have left by my side. So don’t act like I don’t understand. But your tribe will never be safe as long as ADVENT stands to wipe out their culture and, if they resist, take their lives.”

The Commander chuckled dryly. “And I don’t want to hear accusing nonsense. I posed a question about your performance on the battlefield. You refused to answer it, and what could have been a conversation where I was impressed by your abilities devolved into insubordination on your part and frustration on mine. Here’s the thing though. You don’t seem to understand how the military works. Even if you don’t like your CO’s behavior, you keep your mouth shut. Otherwise that’s insubordination too.” Atka sighed. “And you know why that is? It’s not so I can have the final word. It’s so you don’t undermine my authority and compromise XCOM. My position demands respect. If you can’t accept that and behave like a proper soldier, then I’m suspending you from field duty. I don’t want to, since you’re a valuable asset, but I draw the line here. It’s your choice whether you’re going to cross it or not.”

DarkGemini24601

Black0ut and DarkGemini24601: “Sagacity, Part 2”

Red groaned, as he debated whether or not he'd accept the brig sentence. “Like I said, I'm not really special. I can't do your psychic things, nor do I really want something like that. Secondly, regardless whether I show it in public, there is a thing called fake respect. As soon as you leave, maybe the people in here will give me a pat on the back. Respect must be earned by both parties, if either party wants it in any degree. I already know you're debating on throwing me in your brig, but like I said, it's a matter of opinion. Maybe you're truly a kind person, who just wants to win this war. Maybe you're the opposite. But in the end, it doesn't matter. What matters is how you present yourself and how you come across. But, hey, I'm a lowly soldier, so what do I know? I'll go down to your Gulag Pit and serve out my sentence.” Red replied, as he started walking towards the door.

He stopped short, slightly turning towards her. “Don’t compare me to you. You have some closure over your tribe's deaths. I don't even know if mine are alive to begin with. So before you try to interrogate me again, perhaps you shouldn't assume things, Commander. ” Red stated coldly, before trying to walk out of the gym.

Please… Don’t do this… I don't want you too suffer for masking my existence… Charon pleaded mentally.

This isn't your fault. I really don't like this… Commander character. She’s kind of a bitch. Mark thought angrily.

Why are you acting this way? You have never been so disrespectful to...anyone! Just...why?

People like her know how to piss me off to the point where I can longer see reason. I refuse to be bullied and intimidated by a woman like her. People like her… I just don't understand.

Then… I suppose you I'll…leave you be then. The spirit responded, a sad tone to its gravelly voice. You are Red’s boss, yes? If I answer your question, will you offer leniency for him? Charon psied quickly, a hint of neutrality in his voice.

Atka paused as she was about to go after Mark. Who or what are you?

Answer my question, if I tell you what you want to know, will you offer leniency? Charon demanded,

I… Atka disconnected the telepathic link briefly to avoid letting the mysterious being know she was about to think ‘probably’, and when she reconnected it she answered more confidently, I will. It’ll more than likely provide context for why he was so guarded about… you, I assume. Whatever you are.

Then allow me into your ‘Dreamscape’. Charon asked, slightly irritated by her hesitation.

Very well. Know that I’m in control there. Atka sat down, crossing her legs and calming her mind to delve deeper within it. She closed her eyes, and was taken into a barren, icy tundra seemingly devoid of life. To some it might be taken as being despondent, but it was tranquil to Atka.

“Alright, show yourself,” she called out over a northern breeze. Immediately, a white wolf trotted over to Atka, and sat in front of her. “Are you… his spirit guardian?” The Inuit woman questioned.

“Yes. And no. At a young age, Red nearly perished, as falling off a cliff does that to humans. I happened across him as I roamed, and quickly raised a pillar of Earth up in time for him to land on it to prevent him from falling a fatal distance. Ever since then, I've watched over him.” Charon explained, turning his head slightly, “Although, I know you had to keep up appearances for your pack, but why do you...how would you humans put it...insult him?” The wolf laid down, eyeing Atka curiously.

“Because humans argue, and get frustrated. Some people respond to negative reinforcement. I know getting yelled at by a drill sergeant when I was a Canadian Army recruit sure got my ass into gear,” Atka explained. “I have to run a tight ship - quite literally - around here. Professionalism translates into good performance, and if I can’t count on my soldiers to be respectful and open I can’t increase our chances of success. I still don’t get why he was so worried about revealing what you are though. Maybe he figured I’d be afraid of beings like you.” Atka gave a slight and rare genuine smile. “I’ve never had the honor of meeting a guardian spirit. I take it that’s what you are. One capable of using psionics, but a supernatural being nevertheless.”

“You'd be correct. However, we're not here to discuss what I am and how I came to be. We're here to discuss specific terms, Atka Ipiktok. One of leniency for Mark.” The silver wolf stood up, staring at the Inuit woman.

“Very well… I won’t send him to the brig. I never intended for it to be a threat. I just need assurance that I can be confident in my troops. Talk to him. Make him understand that commanding officers never have time to earn trust. It has to be given to them, justified and reinforced over time. If they fail abysmally, then there can be mutterings against them, but only then.”

“I will speak to him, but, Atka, my word has been rendered weaker than what it was. Your argument with him managed that, as I tried to vouch for you and indirectly calm him down, only to have his rage block me out. So, unfortunately, if this issue is to be resolved in a peaceful manner, I need some help. Will you attempt to talk to him, re-assure him so something like this doesn't occur again?”

Atka raised an eyebrow. “If you have any ideas that don’t require me abandoning chain of command, now is the time to share them.”

The silver wolf growled quietly, thinking through his options. “Atka. You are a leader, yes? You want respect from Red? Do have...what do you humans call them… conference rooms? Sit him down, talk to him on slightly more equal terms. Don't talk to him in regards to me, as that will upset him. Explain your trials and tribulations. Ask him to do the same. I find that honesty helps improve relationships between you humans.” Charon elaborated, his voice turning more melancholy, “I'm sorry for your losses. I unfortunately was privy to your situation, as you entered an old domain of mine...again, I offer my condolences.”

“Old domain of yours… what are you talking about?” Atka questioned suspiciously.

The wolf tilted his head, before pouncing on the commander. “I'm an old spirit, Atka. I traveled the world when I was young. Any place I liked, I claimed. I… followed your pack throughout their struggle, to the best of my ability. I couldn't help you, due to my lack of a connection to your group, but I saw it. I saw… what happened to your friends. A-and your…” Charon trailed off, whimpering slightly.

“It’s in the past now. There’s nothing that can be done about it. I fight to bring the world back from the sorry state it’s in and to avenge those that the invaders and their puppets have taken from me,” Atka spoke calmly.

Charon stared into her eyes, a slight sad look in his. “Just...don't be consumed by your desire to defeat them. Hate produces more hate, Atka. And, as I've noticed around your ship, it's not doing good. People are working well together, but there's an underlying emotion of anger and sadness in many of your people. I won't critique your leadership, nor will I tell you how to run it. I will merely caution you to be slightly kinder to your pack, as I am on your side. So, the very last thing you and I shall discuss is your daughter, Yakone.” Charon advised, as he laid down on Atka.

Atka’s expression hardened. “That has nothing to do with your charge.”

“But it matters to you. While I may guard Red Hawk, I pick multiple people to check on. I consider you someone who needs me to help and guide you, Atka.” Charon responded quietly, moving off of Atka to sit beside her.

“What you think I need to do and what I must do are two very different things.” Atka shook her head, standing up and gazing out over the snowy plains. “There is as little of a relationship between her and I as there is life here.”

Charon nodded, turning to gaze at plains as well. “But we are here. So there is life in this desolate place. I can sense deep down your daughter is hurt more by your actions then she lets on. She wants...no, needs a mother for the coming days. When she loses someone. When depression gets the better of her. I'm not saying what I'm asking of you is easy. It's not. But it needs to be done. She needs you and you need her. You're not invincible, Atka, and you're not cold, like how you portray yourself. You're a kind, decent person who's been hurt too much, and has lost too much. You are afraid of losing another person you love, so you distance yourself from them. Stop. Let them in. Let them know you love them.” Charon said quietly, looking at her seriously,

“I can't force you to agree with me. I Don't even know if you'll listen to me at all. But I hope that you will.”

DarkGemini24601

Black0ut and DarkGemini24601: “Sagacity, Part 3”

“You can’t force me, no.” Atka sighed, lifting a hand up to let an icy helix form in her hand to gaze at the complex construct that she wasn’t sure was even psionic in origin. “In the first morning I woke up on the Avenger, I decided that it would be better to give up on ever being a proper mother and focus on the cause. There was only a frail, damaged relationship between us, and preserving it wouldn’t accomplish anything. She’s a grown woman now. I don’t think there’s any chance of fixing things at this point. The anger and sadness that we all carry? It’s our reason for fighting. We can’t let it consume us, but I believe that the friendships I’ve noticed people forging will carry them through.”

The Commander sighed. “And you know, despite how ridiculously upbeat she was, that cook of ours inspired me to try to risk making those sort of friendships again. Judging by how things went with ‘Red’, I don’t think I’m off to a good start. I have lost too much, and I think I’m too broken to ever be who I was in the past.” There was grief in her tone, but that emotion was almost lost in a hardness that overlaid it.

The silver wolf made a noise close to a sigh, before a platform of earth raised the wolf to Atka’s eye level. “Please… try. I know you think you failed her. I know you beat yourself over what happened. But, regardless, you are her mother. No one else can claim that. And while your relationship is damaged, you're human. You won't fully heal from your emotional wounds, but saying a relationship is dead due to those wounds is a crutch. A shield. A mask to keep others away. If you don't make the first step to trying to repair your relationship with Yakone, you never will. These are trying times, Atka. You have a great responsibility to attend to, but don't let it become your life; While you may wish to focus on it rather than the darker parts of your mind. But doing that will ensure you lose your last shards of humanity. So you owe her at least an attempt to fix things,” Charon stated sadly, as he curled around Atka’s legs before laying down.

“I’ll… think about what you’ve said. I respect your wisdom, spirit, but I can’t make any promises.” The Inuit woman closed her eyes. “For now, I have a troublesome subordinate to console.” The tundra around her and Charon faded, and the Commander returned to reality, going after Red Hawk again.

The big man trudged onwards towards the brig, oblivious to any and all individuals in his path, as he attempted to calm down. “Hawk!” Atka called out from behind him. “We need to talk!”

Red stopped, as he battled for a neutral expression, but ultimately failing, as he turned to face the commander. “Respectfully, ma'am, I'd rather fulfill my brig time. If you don't mind, I'll be going to do that…” Red stated through gritted teeth, as he turned to leave.

Hear her out, Red. Please, Could you do that for me? Charon begged, hopefulness in his voice.

Red groaned internally, before turning back to Atka. “On second thought, why not? I'm already screwed, so what the hell, I might as well.”

“I’m not sending you to the brig,” Atka told him straight-up. “All I want from you is to talk to me. Make me understand your issues with me, and I’ll let you understand why I’ve had an issue with you.”

Red paused, weighing his options. “Fine. But not here. I don't need people knowing my past.” He grumbled.

“Of course. We can talk in the post office. Haven’t found a use for that small room yet. Hard to get messages through, and few have families that aren’t with them here.”

“Lead the way, then.” Red said, frowning ever so slightly.

Atka led the Oglala man down to the lowest levels of the central block of the Avenger. Opening the door to the post office, she revealed a dusty room with an old electric light she had to pull a chain to activate. There was clutter everywhere. Atka sat down in the chair where a records keeper would sit, motioning for Red to sit in the chair opposite.

Following suit, Red sat down, a frown on his face. “So… do you want start this lovely, little meeting?” Red asked sarcastically, trying hard to not to be too disrespectful to the Inuit woman.

“I figure it’d make sense to give you the chance to air your grievances first,” Atka contested. “Explain why you’re guarded so I can understand and respond appropriately and less… antagonistically, seeing as negative reinforcement doesn’t work with you.”

Red glared at Atka for a moment, then sighed. “I...well, I trusted two people with a secret, and my partner ended up dead. So, trusting anyone with the smallest information is… hard for me to do. I don't know you personally, so you could be a kind person for all I know. However, I’m... unnerved that you want me to tell you the same secret that ended a small town's freedom. So… it's not you, it's me.” Red explained, putting a hand on his forehead.

“Believe me, I don’t easily trust people these days either. I could say it was years of hardship, but in all honesty it was one day in particular that made me doubt the courage of human beings. The day the original X-COM fell. Many of the survivors stuck with me, but some… including one of my staunchest allies… just abandoned us in fear and despair. They gave up,” Atka spoke with cold venom.

“The two who ratted me out were close friends of mine. They thought everything would be ok if they told ADVENT.” Red growled, as his free hand closed into a fist. “I found them, years later, actually in bed with ADVENT. One soared pretty high in their military, while the other was a glorified lab rat. If I ever find them again, it won't be pretty.” Red leaned back, examining the woman before him, noticing the deadness in her eyes. “It seems that we both got dealt a shitty hand, in this wonderful game of life.”

“Pretty much. But we fight on, for vengeance and because we have a shred of hope. Even when I doubt, I think of the words of a man that may not even still be alive. When I thought there might not be anything to hope for, he told me, ‘Bah. Never abandon hope.’ Simple advice, but advice I’ll take with me to victory or the grave,” Atka declared adamantly.

“That is pretty good advice. Mine was ‘Never look back at the past, But don't hope for the future. Make today the day that you overcome your challenges.’ A little cheesy, I admit, but also pretty sound.”

Atka shrugged. “I suppose so.” She gave a humorless grin. “I’m not as spooky of an officer as you thought, right? We’re not much different. No one cut deep enough by ADVENT to stand up against them despite the fear is terribly different in terms of willingness to fight and spirit.”

Red sighed, leaning forward again, he said, “Well...I can't argue against that. Still, I can't let people in. Too much risk. Even if they don't run off to alert someone, They'll still try to exploit me. Guess that's how the world works now.”

“No one’s running off from here. Everyone that came here was made fully aware that leaving wasn’t an option. Not only would a deserter compromise our operations, but said deserter would be tortured, have their mind read, and then be disposed of or worse. Again, leaving is not an option.”

“But subversion and blackmailing between the ranks is still doable. So,people can still exploit others without leaving. When that's a possibility, why would I expose myself as anything other than an ordinary soldier?” Red asked, a tired expression replacing his defiant demeanour.

“Because otherwise you and others will die. Some secrets can’t be kept forever. You used special powers when you realized that… Squaddie Ipiktok…” she said hesitantly, “and Sergeant Nash were in danger. If a similar situation arises you will have to again,” Atka asserted.

“I merely asked for help, nothing more, nothing less.” Red snapped, realizing afterwards he had given up his little charade. “Ah, damn it…”

“Asked for help with what? You seem to be on a different track of thought.”

Might as well tell her. I’m damned if I do, damned if I don't. “I wasn't lying when I said I had no powers. I don't. But I can call someone who can…” Red relented, too exhausted to lie, his recent match having tired him.

“Something supernatural then. I’ve heard of such things, and my Icy Helixes may very well be similar even if they’re more physical than anything. As long as you can still control your abilities we don’t have a problem.”

“They're not my powers though…” Red responded, groaning ever so quietly.

“How did you make them work for you on the mission then?” Atka contested. “If you really had no control than your supernatural buddy would have shown himself by now right?”

Red froze, debating on whether he should continue talking or not. After a moment, he sighed, “That's correct. Maybe he showed himself to another soldier, or to your staff, I honestly don't know if he's done so by now.”

Atka frowned. “Well, he hasn’t caused any damage that I can discern. Just make sure he knows to keep himself in check off the battlefield.”

I promise Atka, that I'll help look after your ship and that I will not cause a great disturbance. Charon psied to Atka.

“Since he's the one who keeps me from fighting, you'll have no problems from him.” Red reassured.

I know you won’t, this is just part of the facade that I don’t know you, Atka explained privately to the Reflection. “Alright. I am much like you, Hawk. I don’t trust easily. But I’ll give you and your mystical companion the benefit of the doubt for now. If you reward my trust all will be well. If not, we’ll be chatting on less neutral terms. But that should be all for now.”

“Yes, ma'am. I...guess I'll take my leave now…” The Oglala Sioux man stated, as he left the small room.

DarkGemini24601

Montana Shantytown “Liberty Falls”
2011 Hours, June 18th, 2038

Onboard the Avenger
Floor 6, Central Block
Command Quarters

Atka sat before her laptop, the blank screen saying “no connection” merely adding to her apprehension as she tapped her foot. After another minute of waiting and drinking a Mexican-style soda, a ‘connection achieved’ message appeared and the rendition of a bear’s paw appeared on the monitor. “Alright. What do you have for me, Bronze Cub?”

The informant, now a young adult, responded with some fresh information. “I’ve finally gotten some information on ADVENT’s black ops projects thanks to some collaboration with the Overseer’s network. I assume the Overseer’s gonna handle the worldwide projects, since I only have one global project in my list here. Chicago’s leading research into alloyed armor for their troops.”

The Commander frowned. “That is dire. Anything regional?”

“Yep. Unfortunately. Mesoamerica’s been working on some rapid response procedures after you hit the railroad. Lower North America is preparing for some sort of midnight raids to crack down on resistance recruitment. I’m told there might be some other reason, but I’m not sure what it could be. And finally, Upper North America’s spreading propaganda overtime to try to get people to migrate to the city centers.”

Atka was pensive for a few seconds. “As bad as a lot of those events sound, I’d still really like to delay ADVENT getting alloyed armor. Even if we finish our laser weapon arsenal I’m not sure we can handle all their basic troops being in gear that tough. You have anything we could use to counter that?”

“Yeah, actually. There’s a covert operative from some of the Canadian resistance that’s set up on a data crossroads that he might be able to tap into. He said there’s some lab nearby that is working on an important part of the research.”

“Couldn’t we just hit the lab?” the Inuit woman questioned her correspondent.

“Too heavily guarded. Do you want your troops to be facing several MEC Troopers at once?”

“Not particularly.” Atka nodded. “I didn’t doubt you, but it never hurts to explore all options. So we just need to defend that data tap to screw up their plans, then? Got a virus to upload to destroy the data?”

“Yep. Though it’ll take awhile to crack their systems, otherwise we wouldn’t even need XCOM for that,” Bronze Cub explained. “If you succeed you might be able to steal the research notes too. Maybe get some alloy armor out for your troops early.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Atka decided. “I’ll get a team together.” A pause. “Oh, and Cub?”

“Yes sir?”

“Take… care of yourself. I know you’re not in too much danger in that Resistance Haven of yours, but… it worries me that ADVENT’s conducting a sweep in the same region as you. You know how they can be about psions not under their thumb.”

The young woman on the other end smiled. “I’ll be safe. I promise. Thank you, Commander. And good luck.”

XCOM Mission Parameters

Operation Rust Citadel
Guerilla Op - Protect Device
0000 Hours, June 19th, 2038

North American Continent
Former Canadian State
Vancouver City Center

XCOM Forces

Menace 1-5

*SQ Sinclair, Leon [Grenadier]
SQ Van Dam, Lilith [Sharpshooter]
SQ O’Brien, Morrigan [Specialist]
SQ Sanchez, Miriam [Specialist]

SQ Brown, Olivia [Ambusher]
SQ Cruz, Cornelia [Trooper]
SQ Cruz, Damien [Trooper]

SQ Winslow, Russell [Juggernaut]

Gear
Lethal Grenades: AP, HE, CU, AT, Viper, Incendiary
Utility Grenades: SP, TG, Flashbang, Smoke, Rebuff
Miscellaneous Items: Medkit, Battlescanner, Combat Knife, Radio Jammer
Classic Specific: Bear / Spike / IED Trap [Ambusher], HEAT Missile [Specialist]

Mission Briefing

Our resistance contacts have provided us with some valuable new target information. A research lab near Vancouver has been making breakthroughs in alloy shaping techniques. If ADVENT is allowed to complete this research and then transfer the encrypted data to Chicago, it will hasten their forces rolling out alloyed armor. Considering that our laser weaponry arsenal still has plenty of holes, we cannot allow this to happen.

The lab, unfortunately, is far too heavily guarded to attempt a direct assault at this time. If we even knew precisely where it was. With a data transfer only half a day off, we don’t have time to find it. Luckily for us, a covert operative in Canada has given us a loophole. In the slums of Vancouver they have set up a data tap device that is intercepting data through a direct link to the lab relay. For now, they haven’t managed to isolate the problem and cut us off, but they are responding nevertheless.

ADVENT troops are closing in on the covert operative’s data tap. We cannot allow them to destroy it, or the data will be lost. If we can protect the site long enough for the crucial information to be stolen, then we can not only upload a virus to set back ADVENT’s progress, but we can use the information we will take to accelerate research on alloyed armor of our own. This mission is of the utmost importance. Good luck, Menace 1-5.

Objectives:

1. Protect the Data Interception Device.
2. If possible, hack into other parts of the network.
3. If possible, recover enemy cadavers and equipment.

Hazards:

ADVENT Network Relays - These towers can provide an access point to the ADVENT Network, but they can also reveal the squad from concealment. Considering that we’re on the defensive this time, that shouldn’t be much of a problem as long as the squad doesn’t venture away from the deployment zone. Hacking them will reveal our position though, so our Specialists may want to wait until after the first wave of enemy attackers to get greedy.

Middle of the Night - Our build-in NVGs will compensate for this and lower visibility for some of the enemy and the civilian populace, but it will make anything ‘cold’ harder to see.

Terrain:

The building we will be defending is a two-story structure with a fairly simple layout. The data tap is on the second floor in a room that takes up the northwest fourth of the floor. No windows are present here. The room adjacent connected by a door facing south is the same size but has a window on either outer wall. The room talking up the other half and connected by a door facing east to the prior chamber has one wide window on the east side and a stairwell on the north end - along with a ladder on the south end.

The bottom floor is a single room. It appears to be some deserted hangout for the people that live in the slums, having an old TV, some VHS tapes, a busted-up couch, a pool table, and a grimy kitchen area. There is a door on the east and west walls, a wide window on the south wall, and a surprisingly quality painting of a sunset displayed on the north wall.

Civilians:

Civilians are a concern on this operation. While there aren’t too many in this area, there will be some passersbys in cars or on the streets. Many will be herded off by ADVENT when they inevitably discover our location, but some vagrants may remain nearby. Watch your fire; we don’t want to have any civilian casualties for the obvious repercussions, both moral and strategic.

Enemies:

Expect a full compliment of ADVENT forces, particularly tougher variants that XCOM has yet to face on its liberty campaign such as Shieldbearers, MEC Troopers, Retainers, and even Moguls. The alien forces will be fairly standard, though keep an eye out for Mutons.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Dahlexpert, DarkGemini24601, MarineAvenger, and ZombieSplitter53: “Operation Rust Citadel, Part 1”

As the XCOM troops began to file into the Skyranger to deploy to Vancouver, one of them was held up by the Commander. Atka laid a gloved hand on Leon’s shoulder. “Sinclair. A word.”

Leon turned his head to Atka, an eyebrow raised under his helmet as he took off his helmet and stared back at her with a plain but respectful look. “Yes ma’am?”

“I’m putting you in charge of this team,” Atka told her fellow Canadian. “I realize that might be slightly unexpected, but you have a young squad with you. The only members significantly older than you are Van Dam and Winslow. The former, having proven herself or not, is still a former ADVENT soldier and I’m wary of how the others might respond to her being objectively in command. The latter is a former police officer, and is more used to taking orders than following them. I believe you’re the best choice to lead. Just be cautious of the youth and inexperience of some of your team.” The Commander glanced - not without purpose - at Damien nearly banging his head going into the Skyranger.

He followed her gaze and had to contain his chuckle with merely a wide smile. “I’ve led teams before. No worries. Especially when some of those team members used to be… on the younger side of the teenage spectrum.” Rubbing the back of his neck, he looked to Atka once more. “But uh… isn’t it a bit of a powder keg waiting to go off sending O’Brien and Lilith together? From what I heard she isn’t too fond of our enemies and I know our silver haired merc well enough to know about her past.”

“I need O’Brien for this. If the hack encounters any problems she’s had experience cracking into the ADVENT Network now. As for Van Dam, well… I do need a more experienced soldier for this op. Espina is busy with… something, and Belle’s better with her sidearm - which isn’t going to be remarkably useful against the heavier enemy troops. Delago… I’ll need her and her comrades for something down the line. So as far as Sharpshooters go Lilith is the best choice. Just keep them apart if you can. The AO data makes it seem like there’ll be enough room to keep them separate.”

“Gotcha, and if something happens between them I’ll be sure to give them a smack upside the head before you chew them out when we get back.” He told her without much worry in his tone before he took on a serious expression again. “Now… any other parting words, Commander?”

“Don’t screw this up.” With that, Atka turned and began walking back towards the armory.

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind…” He noted with a sigh, placing his helmet back on his head as he turned to walk into the skyranger, the hatch closing behind him. After making sure everyone was onboard and geared up, Firebrand took off, heading for the nearby Megacity with her ghost field engaged around the dropship.

As they neared the dropzone, Lilith couldn’t help but feel unsettled. She realized it was because a certain Irish soldier had been staring at her off and on the entire trip. Lilith - finally getting annoyed at the stare - finally addressed the woman. “Is there something I can help you with?”

“What are you doing in that XCOM gear, ADVENT?” Morrigan asked bluntly, narrowing her eyes. “Who are you trying to fool?”

“I used to work for ADVENT, yes. Clearly I’m not with them anymore. You got a problem with me?”

“Yeah… I do.” Morrigan fiddled with her wrist computer. “Once ADVENT, always ADVENT. Trust me. I married one. It’s just a matter of time until you go running back to your alien slavelords.”

“You think I would go back to those murderers? I would rather burn the city to ground then rejoin those monsters. You don’t know me, woman; you don’t know what I’ve been through.”

“I have an idea. But I have my orders, and I plan on following them. Just know that I’m watching you.” She hit a few more keys on her wrist, her gremlin’s lights briefly flashing. “You endanger me or any of my teammates, you’re dead.”

“Oh, thanks. I’ll be sure to remember that while I’m staring down my gun.”

“Hey, enough, the both of you.” Leon told the two women. “Morrigan, you won’t shoot another teammate at all unless I say they are a clear and present danger. And Lilith… please don’t poke the bear.” He chided the pair.

Morrigan hit a few more keys, and the gremlin powered down. “Yes sir.”

The Skyranger touched down upon the roof of the building in which the data transfer was taking place. There didn’t appear to be much cover on the roof, but the tactical overview they had been presented with on the flight told the what the two inside floors contained. It would be up to the squad leader to decide how to best distribute his squadmates and where traps might be laid.

It was a fairly rough assessment due to the time constraint but Leon felt confident in his plan. He ordered Lilith and Miriam to stay on the roof, Lilith’s DMR being able to help the first floor if too many enemies tried coming at once and Miriam’s spare rocket would serve as a nice way to say hello to ADVENT when they decided to join the party, as well as act as a secondary hacker if Morrigan was taken out of the fight. Both were given the authorization to retreat to the second floor if necessary.

On the second floor with the datacenter, Morrigan and Leon would watch the wide room while Olivia would watch the room that was offshoot of their target. However, on the first floor was where she was sent first, setting a bear trap on the left door and the spike trap on the right, giving the team extra support to watch the wide window down there. Leon was confident that his grenades would more than suit guarding the second floor without any traps along with his other team members. Once traps were placed and the teams in their positions, Leon gave the order to go into overwatch.

Miriam adjusted her helmet, getting a look around from the roof. She was in cover with Lilith near the ventilation system that stuck out of the ceiling. “Wow, this really is a data crossroads… I count… two… three network ‘lampposts’. Once we kick this off those are going to be a juicy hacking target, eh O’Brien?”

Morrigan typed rapidly on her computer, GZ-MO circling around her as she did final system checks. “I’ll say. Of course, every time we hack one, that’ll set off another ADVENT troop bomb. Let’s not get in over our heads. We’ll get what we came for, and only do extra if we have the strength for it.” She gave a sly grin. “Though I’m sure that won’t be a problem.”

“Hey, there’s only so high of an alert we can put them on,” Miriam replied with a chuckle.

“Heads up, jokers, I’ve got contact,” Olivia announced. “They’re patrolling down the street to the west. Looks like they’re closing in. I see an ADVENT Drone checking out one of the towers, and his buddies include three Troopers, a Medic, and a pair of Lancers. Lining up the drone now, if they get any closer I’ll fire on your order, Sinclair.”

Damien took a deep breath, holding his rifle tightly. “It’s gonna be fine, Damien. Breath. Sólo respira. Dentro y fuera. Dentro y fuera.”

His sister Cornelia went over and lightly kicked his shin with her foot. “Come on, no need to be a scared little shit. Got me, now don’t ya? Have to warn you though… piss your pants and I throw your ass out the door head first. So make your sister proud, ‘kay?”

“Ow… yeah.” He smiled softly, and aimed at the approaching soldiers, waiting for the order.

“Everyone just wait.” Leon said through the comms. “As my grandfather used to say… don’t shoot till you are sure the fuckers will die.” Pretty sure it was whites of their eyes but who cares on the details… point still stands.

“Also we’re in the middle of a hornets nest, so being stupid can call every ADVENT solder in the city towards our position.” Lilith said loading her DMR.

The ADVENT troops started moving towards the building, and the trap was sprung.

DarkGemini24601

Dahlexpert, DarkGemini24601, MarineAvenger, and ZombieSplitter53: “Operation Rust Citadel, Part 2”

Olivia readily opened fire, and the woman of Algonquian descent didn’t miss. Her electric shot collided with the ADVENT Drone, which spun around wildly as sparks flew off it and its thin plating visibly heated up before it crashed into the ground. The trio of Advent Troopers scattered towards cover, while the Stun Lancers hesitated for a moment as they searched for the disruptors of the peace and then began charging towards the building.

Russell had his rifle out for the ambush instead of his shield, and took a shot with it. He hit one of the charging shock troopers head on. Where previously the adrenaline-high trooper would have just barely survived the hit thanks to their patrol armor, the penetrating power of the beam laser rifle revealed itself as the shot bored through their light plating and dropped the charging enemy to the ground - quite dead. Winslow then put away his rifle on his back, swapping out to shield and pistol as the others that could went on the attack as well.

Damien took a deep breath and held it as the Lancer got closer. Not wanting the traps to be set off unless necessary, he fired at the charging soldier, skimming his side. “Hijo de puta…” He lined up the shot again, and blasted a hole in their belly before they could recover, then one more through their chest for good measure.

“See baby brother… you got it in you.” Cornelia noted as she moved towards the door, firing outwards at the Troopers, not scoring any good hits, but kept them off the left door for now.

A glancing shot took down a Trooper, but the medic was healing him within seconds. Damien aimed down at them, but the Trooper was healthy enough to fire a shot that grazed his shoulder. “Damn it. Hate those healers…”

“Look, two or three of them all lined up…” Miriam grinned. “Permission to blow them up, boss?”

Leon considered it, then upon coming to a conclusion he shook his head. “Save it. However…” Leon went to Olivia’s room, quickly loading in his HE grenade. Lining up the shot, he launched the explosive, blowing up the cover the enemy had seemed to like. “Now you can rain down the lead… er… beams.”

A line of red energy went through the medic, downing her only half a second afterwards as Miriam complied. Olivia targeted the trooper most injured, managing to finish him off with a blast of her arc rifle. Only two Troopers remained. One gave a nod to the other, and began firing wildly as his comrade tried to escape to warn other patrols.

Lilith looked down the roof and saw the terrified troops. “Well might as well have some fun, let’s give them some fun.” Lilith aimed her DMR down at the scared troopers. Since neither of them realized that XCOM soldiers were on the roof, it made Lilith’s job a lot easier. Lilith fired her DMR at the head at of one of the troops, the soldier next to him shocked that his fellow trooper died decided to retreat. But Lilith quickly took him out before he could leave the area. “Well that’s the end of that. Leon how's the hacking going?”

“It’s going, don’t worry about it. Focus on making sure as little troops get in as possible. I am sure you won’t let me down.” He told the older woman, going back to the wide room, now waiting with his minigun out. “Miriam keep an eye out for any dropships… and make sure you give them a proper XCOM hello.”

“Can’t believe he has so much faith in that woman shooting her own kind,” Morrigan mumbled. “Only a matter of time.” Her Gremlin floated up and targeted one of the network relays. “I’m starting to hack one of these posts. It doesn’t really matter that she popped a few grunts. They’ll be on their way in a matter of minutes.” She looked up as the hack started. “Eat up that data, Gizmo.”

The network hack was successful, and granted Morrigan access to nearby video feeds. From them, the Irishwoman could see that there were two groups converging on the building after they lost contact with the closest group. There was one to the east that was comprised of two Troopers, a Gunner, a MEC Trooper, and a new heavily armored trooper that she hadn’t seen before. The other group contained a pair of Medics, two ADVENT soldiers that looked like humanoid lions, and a lithe leader that looked like a cat.

Able to receive the visual information from command central, Atka filled in the gaps. “Looks like you’ve got a group led by a Shieldbearer to the right… and to the south you’ve got two Retainers escorting a Mogul. Second floor team and roof fireteam, be careful of the MEC’s missile launcher. Ground floor, expect some psionic trickery.”

“Damn cat people. Leon!” Morrigan called out. “Do you want me to hack the next relay, or wait until we deal with these groups… assuming we can.”

Leon let out a sigh, scratching his leg with his foot. “Hack it. I am not taking any chances here.” When the order was given Leon got to the south end of the wide room, looking over the ladder. “Lilith get ready to pop smoke. If they come through the bottom floor we want to give that team a chance to use their traps without them being noticed.”

“You want me to just drop it to the ground? Alright then just tell me when to drop it.”

After a brief period of waiting, the more human of the two groups arrived at the east end of the building. They moved up in cover, save for the MEC Trooper - which seemed like it couldn’t care less about taking shelter. The heavily armored MEC - along with its allies - were furthered defensively bolstered as yellow energy charged up in the Shieldbearer’s hand, and he slammed his fist down onto the ground. A telekinetic field expanded like an explosion around the group of five ADVENT soldiers.

Lilith’s smoke came down on the bottom floor’s group to give them cover from incoming magnetic weapons fire. Olivia had moved over to their side, and shot the MEC with her arc rifle. The robotic trooper reeled for a moment, its head and body tilting backwards, and then in two mechanical movements it righted its posture and began suppressing the Ambusher. “Damn, these things are resilient. And it looked like… some of the electricity got scattered by that field. Morrigan, how about you give that new grenade of yours a nice toss? Take out some of the small fry.”

A wide, wicked grin spread across Morrigan’s face as she pulled out her new venom grenade. “I’ve been waiting too long for this, my lovely.” She briefly interrupted the Gremlins hack to do some quick calculations with her eye in the sky. She sent the grenade flying with an excellent arc, and it dropped in the center of the group, coating them with a cloud of noxious gas. “Heheheh… perfect.” The Shieldbearer’s ability faltered, seeming to be something that required maintenance - and the poison was certainly not healthy for their psionic abilities.

The MEC Trooper noted the plight of its organic allies, and switched tactics to buy time for the other imminent reinforcements. It knelt down, preparing its micro missile barrage.

“Olivia, blast that thing one more time!” Leon told her, quickly moving as he loaded in his AT grenade. “We need to hit this thing together.” He said, kneeling down before the window. When the Ambusher stalled the launch with her arc rifle, Leon fired his grenade, landing it just below the sweet spot but the damage was done none the less as the powerful grenade killed the MEC, the machine falling over in a smoking wreck. “Nice… how are things on ground floor?”

“We’ve got incoming,” Winslow responded. The two medics from the southward group remained in heavy cover towards the back, not making themselves targets, while the three feline ADVENT soldiers advanced. One of the Retainers bellowed an intimidating, deep, and baritone roar, while the other hit the two Cruz siblings and the Juggernaut with a flashbang grenade. To further prevent any damage from being done, the Mogul raised a nimble hand, and the three forward troops split into two, each gaining an illusory double.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert, DarkGemini24601, MarineAvenger, and ZombieSplitter53: “Operation Rust Citadel, Part 3”

“Oh, God,” Damian mumbled, trying to get his sense back. It took him a moment to realize he wasn’t seeing double from the flash bang. Not sure which one to shoot, he went for his HE grenade. He through it, but a little too far. It only hit one of the Retainer’s doubles, and the Latino cursed repeatedly under his breath as he brought up his weapon to fire, not shooting before the Lion-like alien made it to cover.

Russell had the presence of mind to bring up his shield, firing off a shot with his pistol but not hitting near anything with the beam shot. “Help from the roof would be appreciated!”

“I’ll do my best.” Miriam sent her Gremlin down to give an aid protocol to Damien, and then opened fire on one of the Retainers. She hit, but only managed to strip off its armor rather than kill it. “Damn alloyed armor,” she growled, reminded of how important it was they prevent the basic troopers from being that heavily equipped.

While the armorless Retainer decided to hunker down to avoid being hit further, the other one targeted Winslow since he had the largest profile with his shield. Firing off its magnetic battle rifle, a round punched into the shield, and managed to breach it. Luckily for Winslow, the spray of rounds didn’t make it past his armor. It might have if the shields hadn’t been recently upgraded from hybrid alloys to pure alien alloys.

“Gatos estúpidos.” Damien aimed at the armored Retainer. “I-I’m gonna flush it out, sis. Try and hit it.” He fire repeatedly at the Lion creature, wanting to kill the alien he missed before it killed someone on his team. His older sister lined up the target with her battle rifle, managing to land a hit on its head that didn’t quite kill it but left it reeling in agony.

The Mogul seemed to consider his options as the team to the west went silent, having expired from poison. A blue glow flashed around the cat-like humanoid for a moment, and then it performed two actions in rapid succession. It drew it’s rail revolver, fired off a shot that narrowly missed Winslow’s chest, and then tossed a violet grenade a staggering distance with its physically enhanced musculature towards the second floor. The scintillate grenade flashed, and the nerves of Leon, Morrigan, and Olivia were lit on fire as they were hit by an effect similar to a mindfray.

The two medics inched closer, and opened fire on the two XCOM Troopers to provide a distraction to keep them out of the game. While the injured Retainer tried scaring Winslow - to moderate effectiveness - the other fired off shots at the two on the roof hoping to prevent them from taking shots at it or its illusion ‘allies’.

“We are officially pinned down,” Miriam muttered. “Van Dam, I’m gonna try and get my flashbang through this hailstorm. It should shatter the illusions if this works the same way Sectoid psionics do… and then you can try and take out one of these stupid lions.” The Specialist took a deep breath, and then popped up long enough to toss the grenade. It hit the three cats, and the illusions shattered, revealing the real enemies with certainty.

“Finally some fun, just like mountain lions from years ago.” Lilith aimed her DMR at the three cats. Lilith was high enough to have an advantage, and fired her weapon at one of the lionlike soldiers killing one of them. Lilith continued to fire at cat like soldier wounding it.

The Mogul grimaced, though seemed to fare surprisingly well even wounded. It inspired its surviving protector, who began charging at the ground floor troops in a suicidal attack. The Mogul choose to pull back so it could be healed by the medics - though nothing could be done for its armor. Still, the cat-like alien raised its Rail AT Rifle, and picked out a target in Lilith. Its powerful rifle created a sort of boom as it fired, and the high-caliber rounds it let loose impacted the floor under Lilith. They narrowly missed her, but nevertheless collapsed that part of the roof, dropping her to the floor below. One of the Medics called for reinforcements.

“No, you don’t!” Morrigan stepped towards the window and activated her radio jammer, at least temporarily keeping more from coming. “I moving to the third relay! Just keep us covered for a little longer!” She looked over to a fallen Van Dam, walking over to her and roughly lifting. “On your feet, ADVENT. We still need you in this fight.”

“Will you quit calling me ADVENT, you redheaded bitch? I told you I’m not with them.” Lilith said while slowly getting up and dusting herself off. “Damn fall... they must really hate me.”

Morrigan patted her on the shoulder. “Then at least that is something we have in common.” She stuck her head out the window and fired, blasting one of the medics in the arm before ducking back in. “Cover me so I can get this third relay and we can get the fuck outta dodge.” She walked over to the main data tap. “Main objective is almost done, but my radio jam isn’t going to last much longer, Leon. We need to get rid of these last three before more show up.”

“To hell with them.” Lilith shouted “We’re in the middle of the city there home, we don’t have time to hack those worthless terminals, we need to complete the main objective and leave.”

“I didn’t realize I gave command of the team over to you, Van Dam.” Leon called out to the Sharpshooter, spinning up his minigun as he let out a barrage of fire from it. “O’Brien, do what you need to do. Olivia hold this position. I’m heading to the roof.” Leon told the woman, turning.

“Will do.” Olivia grinned with a hint of vengeance in her eyes as she noticed one of Leon’s bullets had hit home onto the Mogul. Charging up her arc rifle, she fired, and finally finished it off. “Guys on the ground floor, now’s your chance to redeem yourselves. Hit those medics with a volume of fire if you can.”

“What does she mean, redeem ourselves,” Damien said with a slight pout, and took aim at the medics. He fired, and one fell. “Whoa! I actually killed one, sis!”

“Great job, now kill another.” Cornelia ordered her brother, taking time with her shot which resulted in her having to dodge out of the way of incoming fire, though the distracted medic resulted in another clear shot for the younger sibling.

“Alright…” Damien said with a proud grin.

Morrigan typed on her wrist computer, and looked down at the screen. “Main tap will be done in about three. Secondary objective in five and a half. But I’m showing red on all security channels. They know we’re here, they know we’re a threat, and they are coming to kill us. Orders, Leon?”

Leon looked around as he assessed the situation from above, trying to think of something practical. “Olivia, moved down to the ground floor for now and assist our the rest of the squad down there. I’ll stay here and looked over the battlefield and rain down whatever I have left as support. We will evac from the street.” He said, placing his minigun down as he knew with its range he would need to get extremely lucky for it to be effective. “Central have that Skyranger on standby to make a quick pick up. We leave as soon as this tap reaches zero.”